Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Between Us Doctors. I'm doctor Terry Debrou, I'm doctor Robert Swartz, and we're here to dispel all the bs out there about plastic surgery and talk about what to do, what not to do, about anything else fun and interesting about health, willness and beauty. How are you, Rob, I'm doing great. How are you good? You had big surgery today.
Speaker 2: I had a big surgery. I had a big week my birthday and you know, you know what a big celebration I make out of that.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, you're just like me. You'd rather you'd be happy if no one ever mentioned that you actually But by the way, I've actually had birthdays not I guess since I met Heather, where no one knew it was my birthday and it was like my favorite birthday and no one mentioned happy birthdays.
Speaker 2: Oh we went out to dinner and you know, you get there, oh, celebrating anything special, and I just don't know, and my son immediately rats me out. But it was It wasn't the kind of restauran where they're all going to sing happy birthday or anything.
Speaker 1: So what was there? The cupcake with the can with the candle or Oh there was like the dessert it again again car restaurant.
Speaker 2: They already knew, they already knew they were testing. Yeah, the table was already set up and I made the reservation and I didn't tell them, So it must be in my profile or something.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, it's interesting. But I think as plastic surgeons, a lot of plastic surgery that people think about having, I think you might agree is motivated by just there the chronological numerical change in their age, just the actual number itself, even even as important as sort of what they're seeing in the mirror. Don't you agree?
Speaker 2: Oh? Completely, I think it triggers something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Look, I would have I would have had a face now, by the way, I totally would have done it, because who knows.
Speaker 1: What's going on. Well, you know, it's interesting because we've talked a lot about male plastic surgery recently and how weird it is, particularly on the celebrities we've seen. But I just went on a super high end vacation. Well I'll just tell you where. I just went to Saint Bart's. Okay, and I don't you've never been to Saint Barts. I know you're not interested in going Saint Barts, but I'm not interested in going anywhere. I know. But for anyone out there, if you know, there are very few places in my in my opinion, that live up to the hype that everybody sort of has about them. Paris lives up to the hype. It really does for me, and I don't I'm like you, I don't really like to travel. I don't like that many places. But when I get off the plane and I go to the Champs Lyse and there's Paris, and I just go, you know, even though I'm not into it, this is really Saint Bart's, okay, is one of those places I have my friends, my wealthier friends have been talking about Sain Ain't Barnes for all these years, and finally I was forced to go to a wedding there, Rob and wait, by god, no, this time was not a but this is a few years ago for the first time I went, and this place completely Even if you're like us, okay, who are completely totally not into vacation, this completely lives a tight By the way, I'm gonna bring this around to male plastic surgery to a whole lot of seconds, it's going to make sense in a second. Okay, so the weirdest thing about this is you fly there to Saint Martin, which is like a bigger island very close to Saint Bart's, this little high end French kind of island. But then you have to get on this and everybody does this, no matter how wealthy you are, everybody does this. You get on this incredibly scary flying motorcycle kind of thing with this twin engine, I mean, and all the window windshields are cracked, and it's a nine minute light from hell where you take off from Saint Martin and you immediately you're over the water. Okay, the moment you take off, and then as you come in, it's such as you have to go over a mountain and immediately once you pass over that mountain, you have to like straight dive down like you're you know, World War two kamikaze pilot and go right to this really short runway. And if you anyone has never seen the YouTube video of landing in Saint Bart's, got to see it because it's so crazy scary. But anyway, it was an amazing vacation. But you know, this is one of sort of one of those high end places where a lot of the women who are with the guys have had you know, all the stuff done and it's very on display. But a lot of the guys have had face and I don't care how well it's executed. Okay, I can spot a facelift across the room, So aren't you the same.
Speaker 2: The only reason, the only reason I hesitate is because if it's done, I think, if it's done well enough, and it's done subtly enough, maybe not, you know, well, the same thing like with women. What's like, you know, the facelifts that you can all are spot of the ones that are kind of bad, well some way, if it's if it's really done executed. Well, maybe there's some that I don't spot. But you know what, possibly can spot everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe that's that's my bias spot.
Speaker 2: You know, I can spot lip bosuction under underclothing.
Speaker 1: But but here's the thing. If you're you, if you're above fifty five or sixty as a man, whether you've had a facelift or not, you look above fifty five or sixty, don't you agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I immediately can tell if a man is above fifty five or sixty or sixty five, if he has no laxity in his neck. Then, by definition, because I can tell he's that age, I know he's had a facelift. And immediately I start to look for the telltale signs of a facelift and a guy. And I don't know what it is. If it's because a guy when our faces relax more rapidly, I think after a facelift than a girl. And you get that. You know, we have deeper lines, relaxing skin tension lines, and and hair follicles. We immediately get that. Upon the earliest relaxation, which is typically what three three to eight months, we immediately in maybe because I'm a plastor you tell me if this is, you know, not true, I immediately see a weird sort of positional alteration of the skin and the way it drapes, and it just looks weird.
Speaker 2: Think, what do you think. I think you're right, And I think if part of it is the heavier skin that men have, the thicker skin that we have, that when it starts to unwind a little bit, and look, I don't know if everyone notices this way, but I think, you know, train plastics or the sort of the mismatch in the various parts of the face that it just doesn't like. Something seems off, even if you can't figure out what it is right away, something seems off. Also, I think you see a lot more women with face, so you kind of, in a way get more used to that look, even if it's not one hundred percent natural, whereas with men, you don't see nearly as many, and I think they just stand out.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. I think ninety five percent of men over the age of sixty not get faced, okay, Whereas at least in our worlds, I'm sure Dallas, La, New York, Miami, ninety plus five plus percent of the people of women yet faceless over the age of fifty five or sixty or sixty five. So laxity, you know women looks sort of noticeable, but the absence of laxity in a manas looks weird. Don't you agree with that analysis or do you?
Speaker 2: I think, well, I think part of the problem is a little bit of laxity in a man. As you get older, it gives you sort of that gravitas, and it gives you a better look. And when you take that away in a man that's clearly older, something seems off. He almost seems it makes a man almost seem immature. If it's weird, it's just it doesn't fit. It doesn't fit for a man. And I look, I've considered getting one, and I'm not opposed to it, and I don't think it's a bad idea for men. But I think if I was, if I was a man getting one, I want to go to someone who understands I want less. A little bit less is more. Don't do my eyelids, don't do ten things at once, just do the lower face and neck and call it a day.
Speaker 1: By the way, I remember, yeah, yeah, So I think you're right. I obviously could use a facelift. I have laxity in my neck area along my jawline. But if I were to have one, I would say, leave laxity, leave it. I want to have loose. I want you to have I like, you know, you know, you know, we've done these wonderful face lists. Then two years later they come back and they have a little laxity in their neck and their leaps totally unhappy. I want to have that look the third month. I want to be like I could use a little tightening by the third month already, because if you have a little bit of laxity. It's like if you take a bump off someone's nose, if you leave a little bump, which everybody, everyone who hasn't had a rhinoplasty has naturally a little bump the dorsal convexity. Right if you if you leave a little bump on a rhinoplasty, they don't look like they've had a rhinoplasty generally speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but little imperfection hides.
Speaker 1: A little imperfection.
Speaker 2: But you know, of course, but yeah, look, I think look, I think for women, obviously you want to get any face there, right, okay, but if you're going to air one way or another with a woman, you can probably go a little over aggressive. It'll be fun. Yeah, the man, you cannot do that. You have to air on the side of under aggressive. Yeah, I mean, that's a face of the man. It's feminizing and never looks good, and particularly when you overdo the upper eyelids, it just looks wrong.
Speaker 1: That is the single biggest mistake that every plastic surgeon is making on these celebrities. Stop operating on their upper lids, or if you're going to do it, leave a lot. Okay, I think that we've mentioned this before that goes without saying. The first couple we met, the woman had had just a weird face and the guy still had scabs on his chin and behind his ears. And so if that, of course is like a good but zero laxity in a sixty eight seventy year old guy is just weird. So this is interesting. I just got a notification on my Instagram that Rosie o'donna, sixty four Goshald's younger but anyway, reveals that she got a secret facelift that costs more than I have ever paid for a car, which means Rosie A. Donald's very rich. Okay, she was a talk show host of the day when talk show hosts like made millions, so I'm sure she paid. She got one of those three hundred and fifty thousand dollars facelifts. And when I look at her, and I'm not going to be critical, okay, because I think Rosie o'donald's awesome, but it's it's interesting if you look at this, this is sort of what we were talking about. This is kind of she has very thick skin, almost sort of masculine type, very thick sebaceous type skin, and when you look at this photo, she looks good. She looks so, you know, I think she looks good. Okay, But having said that, if you look at this photo for she's got sort of this unnatural kind of lax particularly around the oral commissures, which are basically the cheeks on each side. And she still has some laxin in the neck, which I think is good for a man. But this is I wonder if she's happy with this. This is interesting. Look. I would never put down any plastic surgeces work, Okay. I mean, I'm the botch doctor and I've done you know, ten seasons of operating on disaster complications, and I've never put down any particular doctor. Okay, even when I suspect that there's been negligence, you never have all the facts. You never want to say that. But like, I wonder if she's happy with this, because this looks you don't see this kind of laxity existing in nature. And this is what I would be really afraid of having a face of the good news is this I think with artificial intelligence, and I really believe this, and I've I watched this so closely. I'm obsessed with what's happening in health wants and beauty related to our artificial intelligence. I really believe you can just hang till about twenty thirty, which is what three and a half years away, there are going to be solutions to these things that aren't going to require sort of major surgery. I really think we're going to solve a lot of these inlax aging problems without having to cut you open like it's nineteen point fifty, dissect your tissue like you're a fish and we're lifting off the scales and pull it back and whack it off and stit you up with you know, sutures like you know, it's like we're scalping you or something. I mean, just hang, you hang a little bit longer. You may be able to benefit. And I really believe it's gonna happen from skin tightening, health wellness, and rejuvenating procedures without this incredibly barbaric things we plastic surgeon. So check this out. I've noticed since I've done a podcast with you last there's been a lot of plastic surgery stuff that has come out that people are asking us about. Listen to this one, Okay, the one you and I sort of we're texting back and forth about there's this woman who had plastic surgery, okay, because she didn't want her kids to look the way she looks naturally, so she wanted to alter herself so that when she passed down her genes to her offspring, they would be better looking.
Speaker 2: I think there's bigger concerns here in terms of what she might be passing down.
Speaker 1: Well, she should pass down biology and evolution lessons because I think she missed that day in high school, or because really, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think even need AI. I think this is just a fast Google.
Speaker 1: By the way, so everyone who's listening knows you can't alter your genetics by altering your phenotype by taging the structure your face. If you have a big nose, you're gonna send that down to your kids. You're gonna send it down whether you do. I think everyone naturally knows this. But there is actually a new drug out that's FDA approved that if you inject it into yourself, it's got that Crisper technology into it, and it does alter your genome, so it lowers your cholesterol permanently.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard of this rob I've heard about this brand. I wouldn't be lining up to be the first on my block. Well, I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 1: But if you had, you know, familiar hypercholesterol emy or something that was really radical and you couldn't control it, I think I truly believe, okay, that very soon we are going to be able to inject things that are going to change our genome, that will change our phenotype. Think about this. If you can put something, if you can inject something that changes the cholesterol bearing producing genes right in uh, permanently, why can't you inject something like the crisper version of that peptie ghk cu right that permanently changes alternate stimulates how you make collagen and give you tighter, better skin. I think this is coming, I really do.
Speaker 2: I think it's absolutely coming. We should probably be clear that so when we say genotype, it means your genes themselves. When you say phenotype, it's the expression of those genes sort of the what's what they do? That's right, the genes in other words, it's like the genes for your collagen. It's the way your skin looks in terms of thickness, elastics and all those sort of things. Right, Yeah, you can if you change the genes, you can change the expression, you can change all of these things. You can fix disease, you could do all of this. The point of this story is it doesn't work the other way around. You can't. You can't. You don't get to get a rhine up last, and it changes your nose gen I remember that.
Speaker 1: So Darwin was right? Lamark wasn't his name Lamarck? Lamark right? Lamarky In theory of evolution. Hey, so listen to this. There's another one. Check this out. Kate Cassidy was stopped by TSA because she had altered her appearance so much that they didn't recognize her photo. Is that incredible?
Speaker 2: Is that what TSA is catching these days? Really?
Speaker 1: I mean think think about it. People, By the way, if you're having such.
Speaker 2: She looked at I don't know, I haven't seen. Does she look that different?
Speaker 1: I mean, well, it's funny. You know, there's a certain look in plastic surgery. If you have too much, then everybody starts to look very similar. Have you noticed that?
Speaker 2: Yes, like this, it's the overfiller look.
Speaker 1: It's well, it's the plastic surgery face. There's zero laxity. The brows are very high. There's no upper eyelid skin. The lips are big, and the nose is very small. Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: An and and very often the uh, the upper cheeks are really full, like almost like a lion like look.
Speaker 1: So Heather and I are very good friends with Brookshields. We love Brooke and her husband. Okay, her husband's like incredibly funny, amazing guy. Our kids knew each other from little kids, and Brook has recently come out. Shields had said she has not had plastic surgery yet because for one simple reason. What do you think that reason is?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is she kind of an interesting reason?
Speaker 2: She's good.
Speaker 1: I think Brookshield's good. No, it is she Brookshield said she is too scared.
Speaker 2: Done to go the surgery, of the surgery itself or the results of this.
Speaker 1: No, I think she's too scared of the surgery itself. Now, it's funny because every once in a while, I don't know, I'm sure you've had this. I will come in and I don't care if it's four o'clock in the morning and I'm getting up early because I have a whole day that I have to get a whole bunch of patients in. And a patient will say to me. I'll say how you doing, and I try to make them laugh, make them comfortable, and they go, I'm super nervous, and I go, really, why they're going, you know, I just have a bad feeling about. What do you do when your patients say I have a bad feeling about this the morning of.
Speaker 2: I've never had any really, not that. No, I've had the I'm very nervous, And I tell them that, well, being nervous before surgery is totally normal. The people that freaked me out a little, or the people who aren't nervous at all, those people are a little weird. But I've never had anyone actually say I've had I have a bad feeling about I've had I know how i'd handled it. I'd ask them, well, what exactly you know, I'd kind of go down on this and try to figure out what we're at so I can reassure them all. So what if there is something really that they're having a bad feeling about, like you know, chest pain.
Speaker 1: No, No, what if they said, I don't know, I'm just really scared. I have a weird bad feeling about it. Yeah, you would just reassure them and move on.
Speaker 2: I'd make sure that the bad feeling is just that, just nervous before, sir, because that's so normal. People are nervous before surgery. People aren't nervous at all unless they've had, you know, lots of surgeries in the past, chronic illness or a lot of plastic surgery or something like. People are undergoing you know, general anesthesia for the first time or only had a little bit more. It's normal to be nervous. I mean, I had surgery, you know, ten years ago. I was nervous going in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, but it's it's funny, it's you know, so when I have colon oscar by, when I have surgery, when I have things, I actually don't get weirdly. I don't get nervous. I guess because I'm so comfortable in the hospital setting. I think a lot of people are having surgery the day of their super nervous. That's a weird, unusual, unique environment they're not used to.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I don't know. I knew the hospital setting, and I still like going into surgery. Still. I tweaked my will the day before, yeah, and I knew, like you know, and also it turns out that you know, coming in and out of anesthesia. I'm an auction.
Speaker 1: Oh really, well, oh really, by the way, I know stunning, I'm stunningly goofy as you could imagine when I go. I mean, I'm I'm like Dad jokes on steroids. I think everything and I think I'm so funny, you know, I'm I guess what I do is my defense mechanism when things are hitting the fan or when patients are really nervous, is to try to make them laugh, so that I guess maybe what I'm concerned or nervous about myself trying to make the nurses that mode. I go into that mode, and I become incredibly jokey, you know, ridiculously so right, I.
Speaker 2: Think I'm under anesthesius kind of the way I am when I drink is I actually get quieter. But as we're as we were, the last thing I remember, as we're rolling into the o R. You knows, I'm kind of going out right, I'm kind of just looking up, and the last thing I remember saying was, oh, this is a small is Oh god, I would do the people to the whole team that's about to operate on Yeah, so those are my words.
Speaker 1: Well, so maybe I'm just a little, you know, to Buddhist or karma or whatever my vibe is. But if a patient says to me, I have a bad feeling about this, I am canceling the operation. I am just it is over. I don't care, yep, I don't care.
Speaker 2: No matter what that bad feeling was about.
Speaker 1: I mean, they have to talk me out of it. They have to, like dry really, I go, why they go, I don't know, I just have this weird bad feeling. I go, I go, you know what, Let's do this tomorrow, Let's do this next week. Let's not do this today. I just sometimes I've probably done it four or five times to the point where one person, no, no, it's okay, it's okay. I know it's not okay. Now you're freaking me out. And I don't know. I mean, I guess. I guess the reason is because I do mostly, you know, more than most revisional, impossible, big long surgeries. Yes, that a lot of them have said to me, I had the weirdest feeling before their So that's had an outsized effect on that comment on me, do you know what I mean? So I think that's probably pretty mesable that I react that way. But I mean, if you had a really bad feeling before a trip, even if you plan the trip, would you still go. I wouldn't plan it, all right, all right, besides that, besides your predilection not to we're not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: I don't know, i'd probably go. Yeah, I mean, I, although I have I definitely do things where I like. I will leave a situation if I feel like something is off right. I've been in, like in a restaurant where someone was acting weird and I got just a weird vibe that something was gonna happen, and I've just left. Yes, yes, that's uh. There's a really good book on that called The Gift of Fear by a guy named Gavin de Becker. You've probably read it.
Speaker 1: Is he the uh, the the private Eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like a security guy. Yeah, so you have to separate his whole other persona from this book. The book is actually really excellent, talking about what your guttings think is about and trusting your awareness in situations don't seem right and acting on them. Okay, so that's happening numerous times.
Speaker 1: So you're making the case for like to a certain degree. If a patient has a significantly enough bad feeling you maybe not to be I think it's.
Speaker 2: Obviously they should act on it. I think I think you're I think you're you're justified in that. I think depending on what it is, I would be asking, like what it is right if it got down to something where it was like, I just feel like, you know, there's a bad omen or something. I probably do the same thing you're doing, because who wants to go into surgery that way? Yeah, okay, never, I've just never had that exact thing happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, I last we spoke about this clavicular looks maxing thing. You know, I'm sure you've become a lot more feelamiliar and your phone has picked it up and showing you more on social media. A delight is he? By the way, you see he ragged on he's a neat, neat guy. You see, he ragged on Sidney Sweeney and said that she has you know, a negative By the way, he's he's looked up enough that he sort of knows our lingo a little bit. You know that you know, the maxilla's deficient and a negative vector. Therefore she has too much scleral show. He actually said those words, I'm going. Okay, that doesn't make you smart. Clovicular just makes the fact you're obsessed with looking of.
Speaker 2: You know, looked up clovicular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, so Sidney Sweeney not being classically beautiful? Really, I think Sidney Sweeney's ridiculously you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why work?
Speaker 1: I know it's okay, So what the what the idiot influencer of the moment say about? Well, well, this thing that just came up on my social media is ball maxing. Okay, where it's a risky new trend where men are inflating their testicles okay, yeah, to try to get them grapefruit sized testicles is the new benchmark of masculinity. Ball Maxing is taking the Internet by storm as men pump their scrotums to outlandish proportions with with what gotta be filler? Right? What else could it be gotta be? How long is that gonna last? I don't know.
Speaker 2: But when you pee, it's really high pitched.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you inject your testicles, why would you with helium?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, you can't wait that? Don't do that?
Speaker 1: When you ejaculate? Yeah, will it go? I mean is that like a thing? By the way, I don't think that'd be a turn on for your partner, would it, Dude? The ladies love that. Ladies love high pitched ejaculate. By the way, ball maxing, you know what's pathetic? I'm watching, I'm watching.
Speaker 2: Do we live in society where that where that word even exists?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go get a job, Go get a real job. I know.
Speaker 2: I'm going for some construction or something. Stop maxing your balls, get out of your house.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, all right. What else?
Speaker 2: And he who wants that?
Speaker 1: What what is the point of ball maxing?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm is he doing this?
Speaker 1: I don't think clibcular is doing it yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But by the way, speaking of clubcar, you see the op there's a few from Beverly Hills, one in particular, who will go on named as a plastic surgeon who has done all these operations on ribs and clavicles on men in order to maximize their torso dimensions and that stuff serious dangers, Okay, I mean I've seen some incredible complications. Guys, don't ball max don't have your clavicals whacked on? Is it weird that I said ball max and whacked on? You know, right in the row.
Speaker 2: You've never said those two things in that context.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I have in the same sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've said that a lot.
Speaker 1: This is another question we got all right, altering your face so much that your TSA doesn't recognize you anymore?
Speaker 2: So, how many so if the TSA doesn't recognize you and you're hurt, right, how many followers you have to have to just not have to go through? Good enough followers? Can you just bypass the line.
Speaker 1: By the way, you know? It's funny. So Heather and I will walk up to a desk at a hotel right right, or we'll get in an elevator and people act like, oh, hi, how are you? Where are you're from? We're going mm hmm. I mean, you know, at this point, I think if you're between the ages of thirty and fifty five and unless you live, you know, out of the country, you know who Heather and Terry Dubrow are, don't you think at this point? Because that sounds crazily narcissistic? But or is it just thing?
Speaker 2: Be true?
Speaker 1: Both things are true? Probably, and then they they can I see your ID, and I'm thinking I really have to see my ID. I'm Terry f and Dubro, isn't that enough? And then I think to myself, I know that's by the way, I'm kidding about that, But I think to myself when Brad and Pitt, when Brad Pitt goes up with Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, when they walk up to a hotel and the clerk, the person the receptionist, says, can I see your ID?
Speaker 2: You know that you have to show your idea to check in at that level.
Speaker 1: Oh, maybe they don't even check it. Don't you think, Yeah, why don't you have this handled for you? Uh, we haven't handled for you. We have well, they have away people. I remember when I was talking to somebody who we were interviewing as assistant once and they had been an assistant for like Tom Brady and ex wife I think Bazelle. They had a team of away people who would go to the resort and set up the toiletry and the towels and the sheets and the food and all the things and make sure everything in the room worked like days before they got Would that be the best imagine leading life?
Speaker 2: Like, Oh, that's not hard thing anywhere, not even I would by the way people would go. They'd set it all up and then I wouldn't show up.
Speaker 1: All right. In twenty twenty five, Utah ranked number three in terms of the number of searches per capita or plastic surgery. Listen to this. According to a BYU study, nearly fourteen percent of Mormon surveyed had major cosmetic surgery. In twenty percent had cosmetic enhancements. That I think is really unexpected.
Speaker 2: We're number one and two.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's you know in terms of states.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well you taught I think California probably number one.
Speaker 1: Don't you think California one? In Florida state?
Speaker 2: But I get a fair number of revision, breast augmentation, of tummy tuck cases from Utah. But you know what, if you want to leave, If you want to leave Utah, right, and you're going to head this basic for you know, something more involved, you're going to either go to California, You're going to go to Texas.
Speaker 1: But you know what's interesting, So you look at the numbers I just stated, right, fourteen percent of Mormons had major cosmetic surgery. That seems really low to me. I mean, I mean, in your neighborhood. Well, I mean, what percent.
Speaker 2: You know, what's the national average of of people who've had cosmetic surgery? I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Well, but so what percent of people of Beverly Hill winds millions have had major cosmetic surgery because their children have past mandatory it's they don't let you in. You get your plastic surgery ticket with graduating in Beverly.
Speaker 2: Hills High School, right, I think before that they let you graduate if you haven't even at least had some botox or something.
Speaker 1: I would think so like, oh, you're a senior, but I could make you look like a sophomore. By the way, So there's this this ridiculous new trend of plastic surgeons advocating super young faces like bored certified plastic surgeons advocating and showing photos of girls in their twenties having facelifts, mid.
Speaker 2: Facelift or baseless regular facelift, the full blown snatch jawline facelift.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one hundred per different.
Speaker 2: Can the before and after be on someone in their twenties other than attractive and youthful before attractive, youthful and vaguely weird after? I mean the one same person plus scars around the here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how different?
Speaker 2: How different can you possibly be? I think you have no jowls, you have no net laxity, you have you know, whatever jawline you have, you have that jawline. You know you're plastic. What are they taking submandibular glands on twenty three year olds too? Are we doing that now?
Speaker 1: Yes? Hey, did we talk about the new study that came out in Plastic Reconstructive Surgery that looked at We talked about this that looked at deep plane versus other kinds of face lists. We talked about this last time.
Speaker 2: We talked about it.
Speaker 1: You and I can talked about it on this So there is a new study in our number one journal called PRS Plastic Reconstructive Surgery that looked retrospectively, which already tells you it's suspicious, but retrospectively and that's the only way you can do it in plus, that's true. That looked retrospectively at literally thousands of patients comparing the deep plane to the smass or some variation of the smass to see what was the superior face right, Yeah, and I was I wasn't surprised at the results. But why don't you summarize the results as you know them.
Speaker 2: Well, the results the results were that the technique didn't so much matter as the surgeon who did it. That you can get basically the same quality of results as best you can judge something like this because it's highly subjective. You get the same quality of results, same longevity, and really the difference in results wasn't so much the technique that you use. It was the skill and judgment and vision and aesthetic eye of the surgeon who did it. And not shockingly, but surgeons get good results and bad surgeons tend to get worse results regardless of which technique they use. And this kind of makes sense because you know people lately, I don't know if it's my feed you and I have talked about it so much, but my feet is just full of plastics and it's really kind of exhausting of them going back and forth arguing their different face and techniques. And I think you and I on the I think it was the last one where we talked about submandibular gland decision. I think it triggered a wave of this because the next week after that there were a number of prominent plastics are arguing this like m and I hadn't seen that on my feed before, so I think maybe we touched the curse. But yeah, I mean, yeah, all the mass technique that people describe isn't that different from the deep plane. It really is. These things just they make it seem like they's wildly different, and it's not worth going into here the difference between them. They're not really that different. A well executed face is going to look good and a poorly executed faces gonna look bad. That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: You agree with that's the summary of what they found.
Speaker 1: But that's exactly what they felt, which which if you think about it, that if you're going to someone just because they do a deep plane, and the only reason that plastic surgeon is doing a deep plane because they think that's the best marketing tool, and that's not necessarily the operation that they're the most experienced at all, you're really maximizing is risk. You're risk maxing because it's no question, no question, a deep plane facelift is swollen for longer, and you're closer to the nerves as you dissect further in moremediately, as you're getting more towards the center of the face. It is a higher risk now, of course. You know. It's funny. I I when I my social media comes across a plastic surgeon will come across, immediately throw it away because I don't want to start seeing nothing but plastic. I want to stick to my animated cats, you know, and uh, you can have both. No, I don't want to see plast sorg. But I did see this one plas surge. Who gets there? He goes, I've been doing a deep plane face. By the way, he had a weird face. Okay, I've been doing a deep playing place for thirty eight years, and I'm thinking, no, you haven't. He hasn't been around thirty eight years.
Speaker 2: Now, it hasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I mean it.
Speaker 2: Uh it started uh.
Speaker 3: Hamra early early, Sam Hamton, right, and your guy in Dallas, Sam Hammerck, who I you know, I trained with and I've seen operating and I've seen you know, and Sam Hamra would tell people at.
Speaker 2: The time that you know, his his face lifts. It takes about a year for it to really feel and look good. Well, okay, and I remember thinking at the time as a resident, well, I'm not going to do that. The kind of thing you can get away with when you're already Sam Hammer, It's not the kind of thing you get away with when you're in your first year in practice. Terrible.
Speaker 1: Okay, look at this New York plastic surgeon operating on his entire family. Even gave his sister a quote unquote boob job.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So how do you feel about that? You know, it's funny because Paul Nassef, who's a great guy, is very comfortable operating on his family and friends. Would you operate in your family? Yeah? I will only operate on family and friends. They have a very unique, difficult problem that just because of my unique practice that I feel I'm probably done more than almost anyone else. Like if someone had sydmasca the uniboom, I would fix that because I don't know. I mean, I know you can fix it, but I can really fix it in like twenty minutes mostly or your mind. You know, I'm just I've done it now, well no, or I'll try it again. You have that guarantee in there if you're going to fix it in twenty minutes. No, what I'm saying. You know I have done that. It's fixed in twenty minutes, or it's free. Well, I think that I have done semasti repair more than I'm in the ninety nine percentile for that operation. You know. I mean, obviously semasti is very uncommon. It's a big deal to make me so special.
Speaker 2: It's just that.
Speaker 1: So I do the you know, I do whatever it takes. But I build a wall made out of something. So it's if it's if I can do a neo subpectoral pocket kind of thing, I do that. But I will flip up the pectorels minor. Yeah, that works really well. And that's like not even in any textbook and no one's ever done it, but I do it because I know how to do it. Yeah, I flip that sucker up right there and build a wall on each side, and that one never breaks down.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's almost always something you can do.
Speaker 1: There's you know, you we call it Hunyak surgeon, right, you just get it there and yeah, yeah, hunyak that thing together.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what you don't want to do on that what synthetic Oh, which seems to be the the you know, the preferred fix of choice for these things.
Speaker 1: The terrible light, particularly the thin skin growing mesh immediately under the thin skin right above the stern of the breastbone. You know, if there's any kind of odd healing or any further atrophy, or any kind of weird alteration and wound physiology, you're going to see the mesh and someone like me is gonna have to go dig it out. And now you've got you know which is which.
Speaker 2: Can get don't tell us now because it's like you've got you've got the combination of thin skin, foreign body, second foreign body, all next to each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I guess we I guess we should talk before we end this. Let's talk about this new technique that's being touted where you make a little incision. Let's let maybe let's not name the technique. Why don't we do that, but people can figure it out, all right.
Speaker 2: We don't want to name it.
Speaker 1: You want to, you can name And I'm not gonna name it in case they want me to. They want to hire me to brand, to be a brand ambassador for a lot of month, so.
Speaker 2: Easy, I have this straight.
Speaker 4: Speak, I imagine, very frankly about this technique right now. But you're not gonna name it, just in case after what we're about to say, they want to go.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a good spokesman for us. That's the plan. Yeah, maybe say they're not gonna come to you after this.
Speaker 1: No they're not. So there's a new.
Speaker 2: Would you really want to anyways?
Speaker 1: It depends how much mone now I'm kidding. Uh. There's a new technique that I mean is being touted as the new thing, and dougmentation. Yeah, whereby you make us very very small incision and people are doing it potentially even under local anesthesia, not even general Okay, it's supposed to be done under.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you make a very small incision, you dissect like half an inch, and then you put a balloon dissector and you expand up the blue dissector, yeah, above the muscle, which used to be by the way for boating until this procedure came out all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: It's a right, there's a lot of things that it's like this is the latest thing, but in fact it's really the nineteen seventies of breast augmentation. And you know what, I'm not looking for a brand deal. Presurvey, the Preservey breast augmentation. That's what we're talking about. Presurvey.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you really just want to put it out there.
Speaker 2: Huh, I'm putting it out there. I think it's I think it is a terrible idea. And I will simply say that. I know you didn't hear me say the word, so you don't know what it is, So why do you think it it's such a terrible idea. Okay. First of all, okay, these are the things they tout about the Preserve Breast operation. And by the way, this is let me be clear here, Okay, just in case there's a brand deal in the office here. I've got no issue with the implants behind the motif. I use Viva implants.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 2: I think they're great implants. They're promoting this presurvey. I think that's a whole separate thing. Implants are one thing. There's no reason not to get Motiva implants. I'm not a big fanboy of any particular implant. As far as I'm concerned. It's a bag of gel. They can only be so different, and I get I'm perfectly happy with all the results I get, and I've used pretty much every implant that's out, so that's not the issue. The issue is this technique where they say, first of all, it's minimally invase. Okay, every breast augmentation is minimally invasive. They go, well, we use an incision this big, Well, the incision for an audio I'm showing my fingers. Okay, they say it's tough about a one inch incision, well, the incision for a standard breast augmentation. But an inch and a quarter Wow, not a big difference. And by the way, through reason incision for a breast augment is the size that it is is because there's data from the manufacturers that make the smaller. You potentially damage the shell of the implants putting them in because you're squeezing them through too narrow and opening. To my knowledge, using a balloon on a stick doesn't change the physics of that. So that's the first issue. With the second is and feel free to join in, and you know, well you're doing so well all.
Speaker 1: Right, because I'm holding out. I would not endorse this under any circumstance. I'm holding out for the brand offer from Motiva, which I love that I'm happy to talk about their implants, but I would not.
Speaker 2: No, I just wouldn't. So then after you've made your one quarter inch smaller incision instead of dissecting precisely like a surgeon. You shove a stick in under the breast and above the muscle. Okay, so you know, they go, well, this is far more precise. Yes, because the stick shove is always more precise than the surgery.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, it's the wait for it, circum memory. Oh but we're not there yet. Oh I'm sorry, Go ahead, yes we're not. We're not thereby the definition, thereby the type, the name of the proceder.
Speaker 2: There as we proved, as we preservey the circum Mamo ray Ligamont. You know what, I can't have enough disdain for this. So then you shove in the balloon on a stick and blow up the balloon. And I literally see plastic surgeons promoting this on their social media going, this is a more precise way to make the pocket. Really, by the way, you're saying that inflating a balloon, being inflated is a better surgeon than you are.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, that was extraordinarily fun, as always very very interesting. And you know, I love you and you're like not only one of my best friends, you are my best friend, and you're my most brilliant friend. It's always good to have that one super brilliant friend. That's you, and I know a lot of brilliant that for me, well, I don't know about brilliant, but I'm certainly very close to.
Speaker 2: There's a reason we've been friends for what is forty years, right, it's we've had We've had a lifetime of you know, these kind of fun convers That's.
Speaker 1: True, and we'll have many, many more. So listen to all of you who are interested in other topics in plastic surgery, health, wealth and beauty, and you want advice, leave your comments below wherever that is, and we will see you again, very very soon.