Speaker 1: Warning! Today's episode contains spoilers for the year 2000's X-Men. Formerly a Fox Studios production. Be warned.
Speaker 2: Don't give up on them, Eric.
Speaker 1: What would you have me do, Charles? I've heard these arguments before.
Speaker 2: It was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Mankind has evolved since then.
Speaker 1: Yes. Into us. Are you sneaking around in here, Charles? Whatever are you looking for? I'm looking for hope. I will bring you hope, old friend. And I ask only one thing in return. Don't get in my way. We are the future, Charles.
Speaker 3: Not them.
Speaker 2: They don't look about that.
Speaker 3: Hello!
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 2: And I'm Rosie Knight.
Speaker 1: And welcome back to X-Ray Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and spot culture. We're bringing you three episodes a week, plus news this week.
Speaker 2: Plus news on Saturdays.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, we will be starting today recapping the list of 14 films and one movie that Disney released that you have to watch. before Doomsday, so you don't have to, or so you can, and you can listen along. So what we're going to do is we are going to give you the hits of what happened in the era the movie was released.
Speaker 2: Why did it matter?
Speaker 3: What's a fact you might not know about it? How much money did it make? Then, of course, we're going to recap it. And then we're going to tell you where we think it will fit in to Doomsday and why Disney included it on their list.
Speaker 2: But first.
Speaker 1: Let's hit you with some facts, some quick facts of X-Men, which came out in the year 2000. Rosie, can you cast your mind back nearly 30 years to the year 2000? Crazy. I remember when they were casting this movie. It was a big deal at the time. Reading the news and the rumors in Wizard Magazine and Entertainment Weekly. Let's start here. Glenn Danzig as Wolverine.
Speaker 2: That was crazy in 1995.
Speaker 1: Glenn Danzig as Wolverine started as a magazine bit in Wizard Magazine, January 1995. Casting column proposed him, quote, Wolverine, the most unshaven hero in comics, would be brought to life by brooding rock star Glenn Danzig. Months later, 20th Century Fox was actually courting him for the part with the script still unfinished. But this was very early on. Bryan Singer had not been hired yet. And honestly, thank God we moved in a different direction.
Speaker 2: Yes, not the right choice. But those wizard castings were hilarious.
Speaker 1: In 2017, LA Weekly asked Danzig about X-Men and about the rumors. And he said, you know, he was asked, like, what would it have been like if you were in it and not Hugh Jackman as Wolverine? Danzig said, quote, it wouldn't have been as gay. adding, quote, it was terrible. So, Glenn Danzig, we're glad we've moved on from Glenn Danzig.
Speaker 3: That was a wild, wild thing to say, like, especially for a movie that's pretty straight.
Speaker 2: For an X-Men story, Glenn Danzig.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a really wild but fun time to be an X-Men fan. I mean, so much happened, Jason, before this movie even came out. Oh, yeah, well, then he wasn't, Glenn wasn't the only.
Speaker 2: One who passed because Joss Whedon also wrote a draft.
Speaker 3: And Fox threw all of it out and then invited him to a read through without telling him.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Drama behind the scenes on this movie at every step. The writer is shit in the movies was his summary. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: One line survived intact. It's me.
Speaker 3: Prove it.
Speaker 2: You're a dick.
Speaker 3: He also owns up to the toad line, which he wrote as a throwaway and blames the delivery. Halle Berry said she, oh, excuse me.
Speaker 2: I hate this man.
Speaker 3: In the AV club in 2001, only a year later, September 15th, September 5th, 2001.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Different time. Uh, he said, Halle Berry said it like she was Desdemona.
Speaker 1: Oh, do you know what?
Speaker 2: Like the Shakespeare? How about you just leave Halle Berry out of this?
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Don't you blame her for that line.
Speaker 1: I will say that it's me. Prove it. You're a dick line, which is when, um, Scott and Jean are worried that Logan might be Mystique, which is very funny and does read as very great.
Speaker 2: Great delivery and very pre-MCU.
Speaker 1: The movie was a huge hit, surprising hit, and it nearly killed Marvel, although Marvel had its own problems. Bill Jemis, describing his first six months as Marvel president, said, quote, We were right in the middle of the release of the first X-Men movie, which was the spectacular box office success. The movie was for 20-year-olds, and the toys were for 10-year-olds, and the toys didn't sell. So we had a movie success and a god-awful financial failure, and we were broke. Like, can't make payroll broke. The company would go to bankruptcy right around that time.
Speaker 3: If you didn't know why that was, guys, it's because they licensed the rights for the movies to different studios. Because at the time, Marvel was owned by Toy Biz, Ike Palmutter and Avi Arad's company. And they thought, well, we'll make money off the toys. But as they said, that didn't really work for them. And yeah, this was the craziest time at Marvel post the boom. Fox then, this is actually something that I think is like another really big precast. So they marketed the film. by basically running a fake political campaign. Mutantwatch.com played it completely straight, invented press stories, polls, books, all of it behind Robert Kelly, Senator Robert Kelly. And they recruited visitors into the genetically pure patriot brigade where they were asked to email in the names of their mutant friends.
Speaker 2: Very bleak.
Speaker 3: 240,234 people gave up an address thanks to marketing sherpa for that one. I want to say, Everyone gives The Dark Knight a lot of credit for that ARG kind of Joker marketing, but this was really like one of those earliest kind of viral marketing moments on the internet.
Speaker 1: Hugh Jackman was not the original Wolverine. This is, of course, famous lore. He was hired into the movie when it was already underway. Doug Ray Scott was cast and was playing Wolverine. The movie was shooting, but because Mission Impossible 2 went over... He couldn't continue in the role. Ian McKellen has released his diaries from that period and from other periods of his career. And he wrote on November 10th, 1999, quote, now we have been filming for four weeks, continuing to describe that a new actor has appeared on the scene. And it was Hugh Jackman. Hugh Jackman's qualifications for the most feral character of Marvel Comics was a year of singing Oh, What a Beautiful Morning. He had just finished playing Curly in Trevor Nunn's production of Oklahoma at the Royal National Theater, and he got an Oliver nomination for it.
Speaker 3: Grant Morrison's Our Fave and Frank Quietly's New X-Men pitch document credits the film with the X-Team's costume change in the comics.
Speaker 2: The movie had it almost right.
Speaker 3: Then argues for yellow paneling, if only to avoid the dull black leather look of every film superhero, specifying pop art, they glow yellow, the kind cyclists and bikers wear to be seen. He also wrote that X-Men had become a watchword for undiluted geekery before the movie gave us another electroshock jolt.
Speaker 2: That it did.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the recap after this. And we're back. X-Men, year 2000. I could not have been more excited for this movie. And its opening fulfilled every hope that I had. Poland, 1944. It's raining at the concentration camp. People are being sorted into groups. Adults separated from children. A boy is separated from his parents. He cries out. He's reaching for them, screaming, crying. Guards come. They're trying to wrestle him back into his line. And then the iron gate separating him from his parents starts to like buckle and groan and brah. And the guards can't hold him back. But then finally a rifle butt to the boy's head knocks him out, makes it all stop. And then we get a shot of the gate and it's just wrecked. Honestly, to this day, maybe the best. character introduction in a superhero film.
Speaker 2: Literally, I would totally agree with you, Jason.
Speaker 3: It is something that at the time felt so rooted in real history and the horrors of what had happened and something that, you know, 26 years later feels horribly timely right now. It is stunning and it establishes Magneto and his wants and his needs and his, what drives him, his trauma and so well and what he has seen and what he wants to stop at any cost it is just unbelievably fucking cathartic and great as soon as I watched it I was just like wow yeah this is like that's a sale on how to get someone in on a cold open.
Speaker 1: We get Charles Xavier's narration explaining that mutation is the key to our evolution and the process is usually very slow but that every few hundred millennia there is a massive leap forward and we open on on a bedroom in Meridian, Mississippi, present day for, so the year 1999, a girl, a young girl named Marie is in her bedroom with her boyfriend, David. They're getting ready for a road trip. She's very excited about it. They're going to go up to Niagara Falls, the Canadian Rockies, and then up from there across Canada, I guess, to Anchorage, Alaska, and they kiss, and his eyes roll back, he passes out, starts to convulse, and she is horrified. We have another voice over this scene, the voice of Jean Grey, saying that mutations tend to manifest at puberty, often during stressful or sometimes exciting situations, and we cut to Jean at a Senate hearing, She's testifying against the Mutant Registration Act, and Senator Robert Kelly does not believe any of this shit. He's like, mutants are dangerous. Shouldn't we keep track of them? Gene says, we don't need to do that. We don't need to treat them like dangerous weapons. Kelly says, well, we license people to drive. Gene says, yeah, but we don't license them to live. Kelly then produces a list of identified mutants in the United States, and what they can do, including a girl in Illinois who can walk through walls, Kitty Pryde.
Speaker 2: Kitty Pryde.
Speaker 1: What if she walks into a bank vault? What if she goes to the White House? He says. And he adds that there are rumors of mutants who can control your mind and make you do what they want. And he closes by saying, mutants are real. Mutants are among us. We must know who they are. We must know what they could do. Who is watching in the gallery? Of course, Professor Charles Xavier is watching, as is The now grown-up Eric Lencher, all grown-up, white-haired, looking great. Immaculate. They look beautiful. They meet in the corridor afterwards, and they do the scene from our cold open in which Charles is basically like, hey, give the humans a chance. They'll come around. This is such a great scene. And this movie, here's my two critiques of this movie watching today.
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: It feels dated in how Logan focused it is. It's so Wolverine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a different time.
Speaker 1: It was a different time. Wolverine was clearly the biggest star of the X-Men. And two, if we did this today, they'd be like, let's make it three hours and we don't have to worry about it. We can really give everybody their own moment.
Speaker 2: But I do have to say, I want.
Speaker 3: To shout out, I was thinking about this so much as I rewatched these, John Wright and Kevin Stitt are the editors on this. The editing in this movie is unbelievable because if you're really thinking about a movie that's not three hours, that doesn't have all that time, that's not an MC, this is so pre the MCU, that hasn't been the slow build in of different characters. This opening like 20 minutes of just introducing different mutants and where they are with the voiceover, it works so well as a exposition download for people who aren't as familiar while also kind of just hitting the big beats for people who are. It's really smartly done.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. You know, at the time I remember thinking, I just wish there was more time for everybody else. But to your point, it really, really well put together felt. Um, we go up to Alberta, Canada. There's a cage fighting bar. The current house champ at the bar is a guy with weird kind of like, I don't know. How would we describe Wolverine's hairstyle? I had never seen anything like that before. Obviously Star Fox is the only other guy that I've never seen look like that.
Speaker 3: If you have, I would, how I would describe it to someone, cause this is a podcast and we obviously can't show you a picture. It's like if you saw like a rockabilly who had the two tubes that were kind of like as part of his pompadour, but he unrolled them. So each one looked like a devil's horn, but they kind of came together like a love heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really weird.
Speaker 3: And I absolutely love that in this movie where they make everything so grounded to a point right it's not like Tom King lanterns like grim and gritty true detective but it is like real world no crazy spandex suits where we've got militarized costumes there's a political landscape set around our powers it's so funny that the one thing they committed to was his hair always had to be in that style.
Speaker 2: In the first movie because it really.
Speaker 3: Is no matter what happens to him his hair stays magical.
Speaker 1: Yes Well, Wolverine's just beating the shit out of everybody. Everyone. They punch him and their hands break. A guy who has apparently been losing a lot of money betting against Wolverine all night confronts him and basically accuses him of being a mutant. Wolverine pops his adamantium claws at the guy's fucking neck.
Speaker 2: Proving it. Proving it.
Speaker 1: And then he gets thrown out of the bar at shotgun point. He goes to his camper and he finds Rogue. Marie hiding out there. They have a brief argument. She saved his life during the fight. That's like an important thing is like, she basically, the guy, well, the guy has a knife. She thinks she saved his life. Right.
Speaker 2: She's like, look out.
Speaker 3: So she thinks she has a, like, she's not just like stowing away. She's like, Hey, you owe me, you know? And that kind of sets up the notion of, of their relationship, even though he knows he would have probably survived.
Speaker 1: So he lets her hitch a ride. They talk, About stuff. They talk about his dog tags. He tells her that his claws hurt his hands every time they come out.
Speaker 2: Crazy drop. That changed it. Jason, do the description.
Speaker 3: I'll be rogue.
Speaker 2: Does it hurt?
Speaker 1: Every time.
Speaker 3: When they said that in the cinema, like we were saying that shit for years after in the playground.
Speaker 1: Crazy. So he introduces himself as Logan and just then a tree falls across the highway and Wolverine, Logan goes out to investigate. He sniffs the air. He smells something really bad and weird. And then he gets like, boom, hit, bang, baseball bat style by a tree trunk held by a large man dressed caveman style and animal skins and long hair and claws of his own. This is Sabretooth. But before Sabretooth can like grab Rogue.
Speaker 2: who.
Speaker 1: Is in the camper that is catching fire at this very moment. There's like the wind picks up and the fog drops and storm and Cyclops are there and Cyclops shoots an optic blast, which scares, Sabretooth immediately just chickens out.
Speaker 2: He's like, nope.
Speaker 1: Logan wakes up on the exam table at the X mansion in Westchester County, New York. And Charles is like, hello.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, Logan. Good to see you. I'd like to introduce you to my friends. This is Storm. This is Aurora Monroe, otherwise known as Storm. This is Scott, otherwise known as Cyclops. And this is Jean, who has no codename.
Speaker 2: She doesn't have a codename. She's not Marvel Girl. She's not, you know, she's not. We call her Jean. She's just Jean. She's just Jean Grey because I'm trying to keep her powers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Logan drops his sick zinger. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then, yeah, Logan's like, what are you? Who are you?
Speaker 3: Wheels?
Speaker 1: Which is very funny.
Speaker 2: This is crazy.
Speaker 1: Then he grabs Scott by the lapels and is like, get out of my way. I love this. moment because scott is also like not worried about it he's just kind of like he looks at the professor like you want me to fuck this guy up or no yeah xavier lets him go wolverine kind of like is about to head for the exits but then xavier stops him by saying how long has it been logan 15 years no memory no history roaming around from place to place place just you know wanting to know the truth about yourself charles promises logan let me show you around the school And then give us 48 hours to figure out why Magneto wants you. And then I will help you find out about your past. Let's take the tour. They take the tour. He shows them the classrooms where Rogue is currently turning Bobby Drake straight.
Speaker 2: That's her power, the power of Anna Paquin. What can you do? What can you do?
Speaker 1: They go to the Blackbird hangar. He shows them the hangar. They go to the fucking riding stables.
Speaker 2: Why do they have those?
Speaker 1: They go to Cerebro. All the while, he's giving him the history of... Me and my boyfriend. Me and my boyfriend, Magneto. He helped me build this place and all this stuff. We go to Senator Kelly. Senator Kelly is in his helicopter, and he's making phone calls. He's whipping votes for the Mutant Registration Act. Well, you're a gun registration guy. You should be for this, this, and that, and the other. Meanwhile, his assistant, Henry Gyrick... is watching him from across the helicopter and, you know, they make some small talk. Kelly looks out the window and he's like, why the fuck are we over the open ocean? And boom, he looks back. Henry Gyrick is Mystique. Mystique, like, chokes him Who wrote this? Like a foot fetish?
Speaker 2: I'm saying. No, no, no. Look. Wait, hold on.
Speaker 1: Mystique grabs him with her feet around his neck, holds him there, then does like a pat, pat, pat, pat, pat, gives him like a one, two, three, four with the heels and the face and knocks him out and then pilots the helicopter alongside Toad. This was like very feisty.
Speaker 3: Jason, there's a lot of stuff in this movie which, you know, is suspect when you watch it as an adult, or at least heavily fetishized.
Speaker 2: Yes, lots of feet and lots of mystique.
Speaker 3: I will say one thing I do love on re-watching these is, despite the inevitable... like crazy fetish and the mystique stuff is especially like, whoa, sexy. I love how they also like never afraid to make her really scary. Like she always has the terrifying yellow eyes. They're like, if you want to have sex with this monster and her feet, she's a monster.
Speaker 2: Like she still looks fucked up.
Speaker 1: Her hands, her nails, like her hands are kind of like weird.
Speaker 2: Like scaled.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Back at the mansion, Logan has begun flirting with Jean as she's pressing like, probes to his hairy, muscled chest to do an MRI scan on his metal skeleton. And we get our first look at his metal skeleton. Gene is like, well, he survived this process because he has an incredible healing factor. He's basically unkillable. And also, he could be any age. We have no idea. He's probably older than Professor. We just simply don't know. We go back to the Brotherhood base. Kelly is in his weird little I don't know, like almost like a Gandalfian prison at the hands of Sour Man type thing. It's very old school for sure. He watches Toad eat a bird, which makes him pretty sick. Magneto comes over, introduces himself. We learn that Henry Garrick has been dead for many months now. And Mag gives Kelly his like, kind of quick version of his mutant supremacist ideology is like, we're better than you. You're insects. You, you know, you've evolved into us. And the fact that you think that you're going to control us is actually fucking crazy. Come over. He like pulls him over in a metal chair, get into position so that he can test his weird machine on him. And the machine has like two control panels that Magneto places his hands on. And that part of it, the control panel is, section is like inside two rotating wheels cool set piece he goes inside he powers it up you can tell it's really taking a lot of Magneto's power he's like and he powers up the device such that it emits this like bubble of white mucousy energy that envelops Kelly and we find out what it does later back at the school Logan's still fucking with Jean just always around her sniffing her finding a reason to be around her he's like you know why don't you read my memories so she uh she's like okay she places her hands on the sides of his head and she gets these flashes of bad weapon x stuff you know laboratory and bubbling green water and like a man with a weird visor She gasps. Almost erotically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. It's very like, I can't believe he's gone.
Speaker 1: Through so much. He's so traumatized.
Speaker 2: He's so tough and vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God. And just then, Scott is in the doorway. And he and Logan, she, Jean is like, I got to go.
Speaker 2: She's like, oh, sorry, guys. Leave me to it.
Speaker 1: And he and Scott have a little spat about whose girl it is and this, that, and the other. That night. Logan has a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Oh, my God.
Speaker 1: Further images of the lab and the terrible experiments that he underwent. He's, like, groaning, gasping, and barking. This cracks me up.
Speaker 2: He's like, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.
Speaker 3: Literally, like, Charles Xavier's going around putting fucking mind memory blocks on everyone's powers, but he doesn't just watch Jean Grey just going into this man's mind when they're having a little flirtation.
Speaker 2: Like, come on. This is about to cause a class action lawsuit. What is Charles doing?
Speaker 1: What is he doing?
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Rogue hears, I guess, from the hallway, Logan barking and shit in his sleep.
Speaker 2: And she's like, better go in there. Yeah, gotta go check on him.
Speaker 1: She comes over, like, goes to his, gets on his bed and is like, Logan, Logan, wake up. Logan, not realizing, you know, not understanding what's going on and really in the grips of this absolutely terrible nightmare, wakes up, pops his claws and stabs Rogue clear through the chest.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: Claws coming out of her back. And he's like, oh my God, help, help, help. Rogue instinctively reaches out, grabs his face, steals his healing factor and heals herself. And then everybody comes in. They see Rogue with her fucking nightie torn off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sitting on Logan's bed. Logan passed out on the ground. She's like, I'm so sorry. She's very embarrassed. She runs away. Okay, wait.
Speaker 2: I got to just stop us here for a second because I need to say something.
Speaker 3: If your child was stabbed through the chest at Xavier's school for gifted youngsters, you can call X-Ray Vision and get fucking help. Jason, how is every child not getting pulled out of school after this random hobo is let into the school?
Speaker 2: They don't tell the parents, right?
Speaker 1: It's very clear that Charles is like, listen, it's almost like, I don't know if you've ever seen the clip of Daniel Cormier, who is an MMA fighter, talking to Khabib. who is this fighter from Dagestan who is like telling Daniel Cormier, your son, if you want your son to be high level wrestler, send him two, three years to Dagestan. Forget about it. This is like the Charles Xavier program.
Speaker 2: No questions. Sign the NDA. If they come back with no arm, it's fine. Two, three years Dagestan and don't.
Speaker 1: Worry about it.
Speaker 2: It's like three knives through the chest. It's okay.
Speaker 3: They can steal someone else's healing powers. That's why he's always picking up orphans.
Speaker 2: This motherfucker's worse than Batman.
Speaker 1: Back at the Brotherhood base, Kelly realizes his body is turning into this rubbery, gelatinous material. He presses himself through his prison bar's falls into the ocean waters below, and escapes. The next day, and Sabretooth.
Speaker 2: Is like, not the smartest guy, by the way, to be in charge. Dude, why did they have him as the god?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's useless.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the next day, he washes up on shore in this kind of like jellyfish kind of form, looking really gross, kids running from him. At the X-Mansion, Mystique, disguised as Bobby, sits next to Rogue on a bench and is like, God, you know, everybody's really mad at you. You really fucked up. Everybody's talking shit about you. And by the way, the professor hates you now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to say Sean Ashmore ate that shit up because every single time I watch this, I'm like, how could he say this to her?
Speaker 2: Why is he saying this to her?
Speaker 3: And I always forget it's Mystique.
Speaker 2: He sells the shit out of that scene. It's really mean. And you totally get why she runs away.
Speaker 1: She runs away. Xavier realizes she's gone. He couldn't feel like Logan having an, massive nightmare and stabbing her through the chest. But he immediately is like, he just kind of like looks and he's like, she's gone. And then he goes to Cerebro to find her. Logan follows him. Xavier admits that, you know, I've been trying to find Magneto with this thing for months, but I can't because Magneto knows how Cerebro works because he helped me build it. Logan asks Jean if she's ever used Cerebro and she's like, no, I don't have enough control. Charles finds Rogue. She's at the train station, which you think they could have just gone there.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Don't even get me started.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the most obvious place to check first?
Speaker 2: For a child, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes. Logan goes and sits with Rogue on the train. They have a heart-to-heart and both apologize to each other about everything that happened. She's like, the professor's mad at me. He's like, where'd you hear that? Meanwhile, at the same time, Mystique is still slithering around the mansion as Bobby. Okay. She turns into the professor, gets access to Cerebro, and puts some kind of weird goo in it and sabotages it. Logan tells Rogue, listen, whatever you want to do, I support you. If you want to run, go ahead. I support you. If you want to stay, I think you should stay. And this is really well done because it's like we kind of realize before them that actually the school is exactly what they need. They need to be around people like them. And Logan realizes it in that moment, and he's like, you know what? I think you should stay there, because I think Charles Xavier is on the up and up, and I think you should be around. Then the Brotherhood attacks. Sabretooth chokes Storm at the ticket counter. Toad steals Cyclops's ruby quartz glasses, with which he cannot control his powers, and he blasts the roof off the train station.
Speaker 3: Which feels like design flaw. Just, like, make them unstealable. They should be strapped on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should be glued to your head, to be honest. Like, it's fucking prosthetics. Like, come on, my guy. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But that allows Storm to call down the lightning, frying Sabretooth really bad. But he's, like, not hurt that badly. Anyway, meanwhile, Magneto, like, in an incredible set-piece design of his powers, peels the train like a banana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or like a sardine kin just like.
Speaker 1: Flies in, easily discards Logan because his body's full of metal. He's like, oh, look at you, fucking tough guy, and then just flings him away.
Speaker 3: And they do the little nod to the crucifixion because he's in like the Jesus pose and they have him kind of thrown through the train.
Speaker 1: Stretching his claws out. And then he like. hits Rogue with like a little tranq dart and that's it. Captures her.
Speaker 3: Gotta say, again, strategy wise, Magneto, I don't think you're winning the mutants over by drugging them and doing this.
Speaker 2: It's like, I feel like you could convince them just with a little talk.
Speaker 1: I completely agree.
Speaker 2: Your argument's pretty good.
Speaker 1: He's walking out with Sabertooth and Toad carrying Rogue in a bag. But he realizes that there's cops all around now. Cops have obviously been called. And he just like easily T2 style like fucks them up. Like dropping cars on them, ripping their guns out of their hand, the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Doing like bullet, crazy bullet tricks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole thing. But before he can go too far, Charles takes over Sabretooth and Toad and then grabs Magneto with Sabretooth's hand around his neck. And there's like a brief negotiation. He's like, you know, he begins to have Toad walk away with Rogue. And then he's like, listen, stop this, blah, blah, blah, blah, that same old argument. But then Magneto's like, oh, yeah, I'm going to shoot this fucking cop with this bullet. You can't stop all these bullets from hitting the cops.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Charles is like, well, I guess I gotta let him go. And so he lets them.
Speaker 2: Walk to the helicopter.
Speaker 3: Don't negotiate with terrorists, Charles Xavier, even when they're your boyfriend. Especially, that could have gone a different way.
Speaker 2: That was a very soft choice.
Speaker 1: Very soft by Charles.
Speaker 2: Very soft. Too soft, one could argue. Like Magneto.
Speaker 1: They fly off in Kelly's helicopter. Kelly makes his way to the X-Mansion. Jean examines him and reports that he's been mutated somehow. But the mutation is very unstable and his cells are breaking down and he's going to die. And they realize kind of now what Magneto's plan is. Kelly has this conversation, quite heartfelt conversation with Storm as she's tending to him.
Speaker 3: I love this scene on rewatch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where he's like, do you hate humans? And she's like, yeah, sometimes I do. And he's like, why? And she says, well, I suppose like I'm afraid of them. And he tells her, well, it looks like you're going to have one less person to be afraid of. And then he turns to watery goon.
Speaker 3: In like a David Cronenberg-esque horror scene I remember when I watched that as like I guess I was 12 when this movie came out so I really remember that scene sticking with me and even when I rewatched it this time it goes on for a couple of seconds longer than I think the MCU would do it like you see his face kind of falling and his mouth opening before he pops and Storm just runs out of there like Usain Bolt like she's like fuck this shit and she's just like out So funny.
Speaker 1: Logan kind of figures out the rest. The machine that Magneto built runs on Magneto's power, but because it nearly killed him, he's going to use Rogue to steal his power so that she can run it. Real coward shit. Xavier goes back to Cerebro to kind of pinpoint where they might be, but of course, whatever Mystique did to Cerebro... was very effective and he collapses. So he'll be comatose for the active part of the mission.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 3: And I just want to say, this is a sequence that sums up what I think this movie does really well when it comes to efficiency.
Speaker 2: Because you're right, Jason, there's some characters who I wish we'd get more time with.
Speaker 3: Yes, for sure. But what they don't waste time with it, they never have to do like a five minute scene about how the machine works. It's all done in like a couple of sentences. Why did the goo work? Because it fucking worked. And Magneto and Mystique are two steps ahead. Like the plausible deniability- that they build into the storytelling where you just.
Speaker 2: Absolutely believe it.
Speaker 3: I was really thinking like, I'm so fucking impressed they didn't do a, what's the machine? Who made it?
Speaker 2: How does it work? Because that's such a big part of storytelling now.
Speaker 3: So it was very fun here to just see them believe in the audience and let this kind of, you know, it's not really a MacGuffin because they're not chasing it, but it's also like, you don't need to know much about it. It's just the mutant machine. I thought that worked so well.
Speaker 1: Jean fixes Cerebro and then uses it to find Rogue and Mag, but of course, it takes a lot out of her. We learn that they're at the Statue of Liberty where there's a UN summit going on one mile away. And so it seems like Magneto's plan is to turn all these international dignitaries into mutants.
Speaker 3: Sick.
Speaker 1: The X-Men head to the island for the big showdown. Magneto has placed the machine all the way at the top of the Statue of Liberty. And there are several fun fights, including Wolverine versus Mystique, which ends when he stabs her in the guts. And Storm frying Toad, delivering that line, that Desmodona-ish line in which, you know what happens when a frog is struck by lightning? Same thing that happens to everything else.
Speaker 2: Sick!
Speaker 1: The X-Men make their way to the top of the statue, but then Magneto wraps everybody up in the copper from the skin of the statue.
Speaker 2: They should have seen that coming.
Speaker 1: Should have seen that coming. Positions Logan like with his claw knuckles pointed at his own chest and positions Scott looking at Jean without his visor so that if he opens up his eyes, he'll kill her.
Speaker 2: And then- Maggio's so crazy for that one.
Speaker 1: So crazy for that one. And then Aurora can't really do anything because it's like a very small room. He goes up to the machine. He gets Rogue over there. They're about to start the whole thing. In desperation, Logan pops his claws into his own chest, and he should have just done this immediately. Takes a second, but he does heal up. The X-Men get free by, you know, Gene floats Scott's visor in front of his face, and then he opens his eyes and manages to knock Sabretooth out of the way. Logan has a showdown with Sabretooth on the top of the of the Statue of Liberty, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: You can really tell that was like an important comic book rivalry for them to build it.
Speaker 1: Huge rivalry.
Speaker 3: Because it's such a big, big part of this movie in a way that does not necessarily represent who Sabretooth is if you move him away from Wolverine.
Speaker 1: It's really the core of the showdown. Yeah. Magneto steals Rogue's power and then puts her in the machine and so the machine is spinning up and Magneto is weakened, but he's not like fully out of it. Logan defeats Sabretooth and is like, okay, what do I do? What do we do? What do we do? They figure it out, Storm floats Wolverine up to the machine with Gene steadying him.
Speaker 2: Like a little baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Logan jumps down into the machine and he pops his claws and he's going to smash it. But then Magneto is still in it. He's very weak, but he's still in it. And so he's holding Logan's claws back and Cyclops is like, I can shoot him. And Gene is like, no, you'll hit the machine. And Cyclops is like, fuck it, I'm taking the shot. Takes the shot, hits Magneto, but also the machine breaks into a million pieces.
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: The energies of the machine has turned Rogue's hair white, which was delightful. Incredible moment in the theater.
Speaker 2: It also works.
Speaker 3: A lot of times, like later on in this franchise, they try and give moments like, why is Charles Xavier bald?
Speaker 2: And it doesn't work and it becomes a meme.
Speaker 3: But this works so well because Rogue won at Anna Paquin's Amazing.
Speaker 2: She's coming off an Oscar. And also, it just feels earned. She's gone through so much. They were using her powers. Now she has the iconic hair. Boom.
Speaker 3: Great moment in the theater. Great moment when you rewatch it. So fun.
Speaker 1: The energy bubble that was like moving towards Ellis Island and the UN dignitaries stops, but Rogue is like out of it. Maybe she's dead. Who knows? Logan takes her glove off and touches her hand to his face and lets her steal his powers so that she heals again. We flash forward to the mansion now. Logan is like, fucking king shit in the mansion.
Speaker 2: Everything went well. Everybody's alive.
Speaker 1: Gene wants to fuck him. Cyclops is impressed.
Speaker 3: Rogue is like, Unfortunately, also wants to fuck him, which is the unfortunate subtext of.
Speaker 2: This entire movie, thanks to the director.
Speaker 3: There is a moment on the train where they play a romantic moment when they catch each other's eyes.
Speaker 2: Like, we know what you were doing. But anyway, it's okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, she goes into his bedroom and gets on his bed. Literally.
Speaker 3: Anyway. In her, like, sexy nightgown.
Speaker 1: But anyway.
Speaker 2: The good thing is Logan's heart belongs to another, as we know.
Speaker 1: He wants Jean, but he realizes he can't really have her. And anyway, Charles told him about Alkali Lake, where he'll find some answers. So he's heading there and he leaves. Meanwhile, in the plastic prison, which houses Magneto now, Charles and Magneto are in there playing chess. talking about philosophy and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Most toxic situationship these two ever.
Speaker 3: They just like flirt by putting each other in jail or in fucking wheelchair.
Speaker 2: Like, come on, guys.
Speaker 1: This is so bad. It will get even more toxic in the second movie.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: But let's take a quick break. And when we come back, we will talk about why do we think this movie is included in the Doomsday Study list?
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: And we're back. Fun movie. I still love it. It moves at such a quick pace.
Speaker 3: I loved it on every I you know, this is a movie I've rewatched so many times, definitely in the deep, deep double figures at this point. So I would say like, I definitely have taken a break from it in recent years. Like I probably only watch it once a year or something, which for me is not that much for a rewatch. But I felt like watching it this time, I was just really charmed by it. Looked great on the TV, super fun, great character work. Like we know that we're going to get another X-Men. So maybe that's why I'm feeling so nostalgic about this because this Before, when you only have one, you critique it a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh, we wanted this. We want to see this.
Speaker 3: Well, now we get this one and we get another one, which can give us hope for something different. So we just get to enjoy this one. So yeah, it looks great. The set pieces are incredible. But you know what really stood out to me? It's that character work. The first two acts where they build Logan and they build Rogue and they build Jean and even just like Rogue getting a crush on Bobby. By the time you get to the set pieces, you just care about the characters so much. And the set pieces are amazing, but you really want to live in the school and be a part of the team. And I think that is the most, that's the thing that made us want to read the original comics, you know, whether it was the Stanley Jack Kirby stuff or the Lemween, Dave Cockrum, like whatever, Chris Claremont, whoever it was. you want to be on the team and this movie makes you feel that even when they're up against the most terrifying, scary moments and villains.
Speaker 1: So what do you think it is that is important about X-Men that is on this list? Obviously there is the fact that, you know, Charles Xavier and Magneto are in the trailer. So we understand that they will be there. That's the biggest connection, obviously. But anything else besides just like, know who these people are.
Speaker 2: I think that it is a big.
Speaker 3: Charles and Magneto are going to be there, so watch this movie. But on re-watching it, I was thinking about.
Speaker 1: And Cyclops.
Speaker 2: And Cyclops. We also, you know, we don't... It's a Marvel kind of.
Speaker 3: comeback movie you know so we don't know.
Speaker 2: Who else we could see pop up like we.
Speaker 3: Know that kelsey will be in it he's not in this movie you know we could even see halle berry it's a multiversal world you never know right but i actually really think that this is in there to reprime the audience for the kind of hated and feared mentality that the x-men bring and i think we've started to get that again in brand new day we've seen it with that jean gray I think rewatching this, it's basically rewatching the mythos of the X-Men. Understand who these people are as a roadmap for where the MCU is going to go. And also, I'm assuming that the relationship between Magneto and Charles is going to be key to whatever happens in Doomsday because they have a very similar mentality and relationship to Reed and Doom. So I think they're going to echo some stuff there. And I really do think it's a primer pick, but I love that it's the first pick.
Speaker 1: Me too. I agree with you. I think like looking, it is notable to me that the X3, Dark Phoenix, which the last, excuse me, X-Men The Last Stand.
Speaker 2: Or as we call it, X3.
Speaker 1: And also Days of Future Past and any of the other X-Men movies are not here. This tells me that we're going to be firmly in the world of these first X movies, the characters that existed then, the kind of more, the tighter circle of X characters. And I think I agree with you. I, this leaves me wondering if we're going to have an Illuminati and if that Illuminati, you know, obviously Charles Xavier in the comics, I should add. Okay. So the Illuminati is, in the comics is a collection of the most powerful men.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Male heroes. We got to have the conversation. It's a collection of the most powerful male heroes in the 616. And so it's Black Panther, T'Challa, Charles Xavier, Tony, Captain America is there because of his leadership expertise, but everybody kind of is like, this guy's too much of a Boy Scout. We don't know if we trust him. Black Bolt, who else was on there?
Speaker 3: I think that there's been loads of different teams. The original Illuminati, I think Chachala actually might have turned them down at first because he was like, I don't know about this. Sounds kind of sus to me, but I would.
Speaker 1: Say that- No, Mr. Fantastic, Dr. Strange, Black Bolt, Namor.
Speaker 3: Yeah so it was T'Challa wanted to turn them down but we've obviously seen a version of that in Multiverse of Madness but it was not as you mentioned it was not like a comics accurate version they all got killed off so I think it would be really interesting to see Charles and Reed potentially have put the starting seeds in place when Doom.
Speaker 2: Appears that would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: I think that If there is an Illuminati, it's clearly not an MCU 616 group. This is an alternate dimensional group of figures, which might include... I mean, we did see Hank McCoy, right, at the end of the Marvels. And we know that Kelsey Grammer is in this movie, right?
Speaker 3: And so is Mystique as well. And Mystique from the Fox universe. So there is going to be this different... universes appearing in our Marvel space.
Speaker 1: So it might be that there is this, already this alternate dimensional group that's trying to stop incursions and that that group includes Charles Xavier and potentially others, but potentially Charles Xavier of this timeline.
Speaker 3: I like that a lot, actually, and I think it does make sense that there would maybe be a narrative hook like that, especially because isn't the joke amongst all of us is like Patrick Stewart's Charles Xavier's always dying.
Speaker 2: Dead again, baby.
Speaker 3: But he's also the thread. Like 26 years is enough that we grew up with it. And now people our age as kids grew up with it. You know, like, so having Patrick Stewart potentially as that and kind of as that connection.
Speaker 2: Would be very clever.
Speaker 3: I would be interested to see how many new teams they are going to introduce because it does feel to me with Battle Worlds, like we could really be getting a lot of these kind of subgroups. And I mean, in that case, the team ups would be unbelievable. Jason, we know that Magneto and Charles are going to be in the movie along with Mystique. We've talked a lot about our feelings that old Mag and old Charles might not last that long. What do you think about Rebecca Romain Mystique? Because I feel like she's got legs, potentially. I don't... You think it's going to be a Days of Future Past opening massacre of the original X-Men?
Speaker 2: How do you see it go?
Speaker 1: I think that is a possibility. But I also think on rewatch, you know, it's very interesting to me that Eric's kind of ideology from this movie, which is like that we are strong and therefore we should win. And if the weaker, much more populous society, the humans, attack us, then we should destroy them. And I almost feel like, isn't that exactly what Doom is doing? Which makes me wonder if.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that's true, actually.
Speaker 1: Which makes me wonder if there isn't some connection between Doom and Magneto that is more than... just Magneto dying in the first five minutes of the movie.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that because I think in the case of Doomsday specifically, you could be onto something very interesting because we know that this version of Doom, and we've had me complain about it, so I'm going to try and be positive.
Speaker 2: But what we do know about it is they've.
Speaker 3: Decided it seems like during an incursion or because of the events of Endgame, I'm assuming it could have been any of the events. I don't actually think it's all going to be tied together. To Captain America, I think it's all the Avengers who were involved in moving the time stones. That led to Doom losing his family. What is the number one driver of Eric? It's losing his family, seeing the horrors of the Holocaust. So Eric and Doom could, in that way, find an alignment. Especially would be interesting if Eric has feelings about mutants versus mutates, which we know they kind of are.
Speaker 1: That's a good, you know, because here's the thing. I think it would be not very effective and also kind of not the way Marvel does things to introduce Dr.
Speaker 3: Doom.
Speaker 1: He's just powerful. He appears on the scene. He's beating the shit out of everybody. Think about like the way they, we got a lot of Thanos's backstory and what turned into Thanos and how he became himself. I almost wonder if Doom is, watching what happened to the X-Men or talking to Magneto is part of the evolution of Doom deciding, you know what? Let me just run it. Let me take over. None of these heroes... Magneto, in a sense, was right. The strong should destroy the weak if the weak threaten the strong. If I have the power to... stop incursions by either destroying worlds or kind of forcing them together, then that's what I should do.
Speaker 3: And....
Speaker 1: That's why, you know, I think there has to be, right? We have to get some Doom backstory in this movie or else it kind of doesn't work. Oh, definitely.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 3: If you look at the last trailer and how heavy on Sue Storm it was, I'm also interested, this is kind of connecting again to why this is there. Do you think in the world of the Fantastic Four, that there are mutants like do you think this is going to be right I feel like this is going to be something that maybe the rest maybe the rest of the universe has a bit more of an understanding and an acceptance of I'll be interested to see Jason is there anything from this movie on rewatch like a little moment or anything where you were like okay I really want to see them come back to that or will we finally like is Kitty Pryde going to come back like is this actually we're watching the whole movie thinking it's a big picture but it's actually a nod to this like do you think there's something like that that we could get I mean.
Speaker 1: We'll say more when we do our X2 of course coverage but the striking thing about both of those this movie and X2 is how Logan centric they are which makes me feel like this it might be a I think you phrased it as a pretty chonky cameo I think we may see like a big big blowout last hurrah I think so Jackman as Wolverine in this film because I think if you knew nothing else except that these two films were on the list for prep to doomsday one pretty obvious takeaway might be Wolverine will be in this because he's like the main character.
Speaker 3: Of the movie actually that's such a good point Jason it's kind of the the trees hiding in the leaves or whatever because it's like Yeah, we're talking about all the other X-Men. We're talking about Charles, talking about Magneto. But in the 90s, as we've talked about a million times in the lead up to this movie, Wolverine's in over 200 comics. It gets to the point where they have to.
Speaker 1: Kill him off.
Speaker 2: He's so popular. And actually, you are so right.
Speaker 3: If you really are just watching these movies and you don't really know who any of these characters are, you're going to be like, well, obviously that guy with the brown hair and the claws is going to be in it because he's the main character. And I will say, at D23, I'm not sure if this was something they ended up releasing on YouTube, but I'm sure somebody filmed it. Before they showed the new Doomsday trailer, they did a bit where they had Hugh Jackman in a house kind of recording and they had Ryan Reynolds off screen like he was Deadpool trying to get them both in the movie. And Feige didn't say that they would be in the movie. In fact, they kind of afterwards were like, you know, you're not going to see everyone, guys. Like, sorry.
Speaker 2: But it obviously felt.
Speaker 3: Like a nod to the fact that they haven't acknowledged that those guys are not in the movie yet. And Jackman did a big bit where he was kind of like, oh, you know, we didn't get a chair, like da-da-da-da-da.
Speaker 2: So who knows?
Speaker 1: He'll be in it. He's definitely in it. He must be. Any other, I mean, you know what that makes me think of, although this is a Messiah War bit. Let's go. Deadpool, you know, that whole, we're not going to go into it, but part of that is like it's a mission throughout different time periods streams and they send Deadpool into like a thousand years into the future to wait for the rest of the team to catch up in normal time. And Deadpool's like been in this like vault eating his own body because it regenerates for like centuries. And so, you know, I do wonder if there's not something of that stealing that if Deadpool is in this.
Speaker 2: That's actually really smart.
Speaker 3: Like they can utilize Deadpool. And like when, you know, the post credit scene could be like, you, you pop open the vault in a bank in the fucking battle worlds. And this motherfucker is just still there eating his toe or something.
Speaker 2: That's like, what's his plan?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I definitely think they could lean into it.
Speaker 3: I also just need to know the tone of the movie.
Speaker 2: Cause this movie is very serious. Jason X one is very serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's very melodramatic.
Speaker 3: It very much fits in with what we're seeing of doomsday so far, but how does say a dead Paul fit into that? Like, does it have to be really bleak? Um, does he get, you know, his mouth sewn up? Do they do some kind of silly riff to the old though? I guess you would put extra in, in that case. I don't know, but what I do know is I'm very excited. And revisiting this was like, wow.
Speaker 1: Any other thoughts about elements from this film that might be important to doomsday?
Speaker 3: I think that the thing I really do want to see them do, because we haven't got on our Charles and Magneto yet, is I hope that whatever happens, something that just strikes me throughout this as much as we make jokes, you know, they're obviously like so toxic. But like that friendship and seeing the way that despite all their differences and putting each other in jail and shit, them like still being able to have the philosophical conversation over chess is, is so important to who they are and what they mean to the X-Men.
Speaker 2: I want to see them get that moment.
Speaker 3: I also want to know if our next generation of X-Men are going to interact with them or see them. That's the stuff I don't know. How many incursions are happening? Where are we going to see them? Is the X-Mansion getting thrown into somewhere else?
Speaker 2: Also, Jason, Aaron just put a great note in here. Do you think there's a world.
Speaker 3: where part of the reason that this is included is because now we have the mutant inhibitor collar technology from fucking Peter Parker, that dumbass. Do you think that there's a world where they're introducing us to kind of making mutant technology, making more mutants, creating a weapon that creates mutants? Do you think it could be something like that in Doomsday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I will say that the fact that it's an X2 weapon Again, not any of the other X-Men movies. And these movies are keenly focused on a battle of ideologies. I do think when we get Secret Wars and Battleworld, one of these areas of the Battleworld, like in the comics, is going to be mutants win. Yeah, it has to be. Like Magneto rules. Like it's going to be House of M type thing.
Speaker 3: And in that way, what this movie could simply be here for, aside from the get to know these characters, establishing those ideologies again. Hey, if you don't know what Magneto's mutant supremacy is, you wouldn't understand why this world matters. But now you've watched this movie, you know exactly who Magnus is, you know exactly what it looks like, and you know why the humans are in chains.
Speaker 2: This is so fun, Jason. I can't believe we get to rewatch.
Speaker 3: All of these.
Speaker 1: Well, up next in this series will be X2 from 2003. That's it for this episode. On the next episode of X-Ray Vision, we're giving you the biggest news stories of the week. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Bye! X-Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joelle Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Carmen Laurent, Ian Johnson, and Baywax.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Sol Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi, our Discord moderator.