Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Mike Armstrong Marks twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lori kil Martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area at thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot.
Speaker 2: Com Off Broadway.
Speaker 3: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 2: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: All right, good morning ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls, Grandpa's and grandma's, aunts and uncles in all of Big Bloe Nation. We appreciate you tuning in for this Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. April fourth, Ryan Lemondrew Franklin, Shannon the Dude has always take a sports radio sponsored by the TJ. Smith Law Office called t J. Shannon, What's you do?
Speaker 2: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 4: He'll make them pay. We got our Avision Glass text machine. It's in Amsterdam, So if you want to try it, he'll get the to Amsterdam. But I do have my cell phone. We'll take some texts that come in as well on the Avias and Glass text machine. Whoever our whiskey thief call the day which we forgot to award yesterday. So it's probably about Cassidy, probably about CASTI Row first call to the pregame show pre show channing. What was it? Cassidy Row? It's not going away anytime soon, I don't think.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: Another horrible night of storms last night across Kentucky and there's more coming. That's what's you'd think, you know, after the one band goes through, we'd be good. Nope, another one last night and more coming I think Saturday. So now we got to worry about the flooding. That's you know, our state was devastated with loving flooding not long ago. I hope and pray they don't have to go through that again. But Drew, I mean, when's it gonna stop? Raining?
Speaker 6: Like I said, doesn't seem like he's gonna stop anytime soon. Rain non stop where I live. I've been fortunate to not have any damage, but I saw it was like a state of an emergency in Louisville yesterday. Got some friends that have some some flooding around their neighborhoods, and it's just going to continue to come. I mean, the state's had enough the last four or five years, and hopefully this one doesn't get as bad as some we've seen in the past. But the forecast is awful for this weekend.
Speaker 4: That is, UK Baseball hosting ninth ranked Ole Miss this weekend over Kentucky Prowt Park. They postponed the game last night, gonna try a double header today and it looks like they're gonna get a little break this afternoon where maybe they could squeeze at least maybe one game in the time it perfectly, But then Saturday they're supposed to play it two and it's supposed to be awful here on Saturday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was looking forward to, you know, before the forecast, of getting out there and seeing some SEC baseball. I went to some of the non conference games, but it's been a while since I've gotten out there. But after what you see on the radar, I don't know that I'm gonna get my hopes up to watch a lot of Kentucky versus Old Miss this weekend. But maybe they can sneak in part of that doubleheader. The stalling they did in Texas, A and M have to go the other direction and just play speed baseball this weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, supposed to start the double header at three o'clock today and they're gonna play two nine inning games. Fingers crossed. Try to get it in and we have to wait and see about Saturday. But you know, the storms have messed up the spring baseball schedules all across the state. I saw McCracken County High School had a lot of damage. Their baseball field I think got damage. So I don't know what they're going to do over there. So it's kind of playing havoc with a lot of stuff, including Keenland, which they were supposed to open today, move their opening day to Sunday. Bluegrass Staks are supposed to be tomorrow, that's their Kentucky Derby. It's been moved to Tuesday. So people trying to adjust about what Mother Nature is putting out on us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know, there's a lot more important than having fun at Keenland, But that's got to be a big logistical nightmare for people that were planning to go to that opening weekend. That's always such a big event. People travel in, you got hotels, spending lots of money, and you know, throwing it off, moving it to the early weekdays. Maybe being spring break, that can other people can take advantage of it. But just everything's thrown off right now with Mother Nature throwing everything she has.
Speaker 4: At Shannon speaking of Keenland, Like I tell you, there's a horse running first of all today is four to four. It's Kobe Bray a day okay, Kobe b w double Kobe break four Shannon On Thursday at Keenland, the number four horse is Brea from three.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, did you not put a little money down on that?
Speaker 4: What I'm saying? First race, first race Thursday, The four horse is Brea from three? Is this a tip?
Speaker 6: Are you giving a tip? Are you like big Hair here? Big Head? What's his name?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: I think I could pick horses about as good as he does.
Speaker 2: You know what, I don't disagree with you.
Speaker 6: That is a cool name, though, I bet gets a few more wagers than it when if it's just been a regular name, anonymous.
Speaker 4: Name Keaenland and Lexington. Absolutely, that's the horse is gonna get a lot of action.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be good. It can't finish the last and embarrass us all.
Speaker 4: It's true. We need Kobe Braa versus Tennessee, not Kobe Bray of the games he struggled.
Speaker 6: For four to four. You've made it Brea and Brea. Usually you kind of combined to cauld. We make it like Nick Richard's Kobe Brea day. He's my favorite. Number four is a Cylin macys, Kyle Macy day, or just Nick Richards Nick Richard's day. That'd be good with me.
Speaker 4: A Gerald Fitch worn number four? Who else worn number four?
Speaker 6: I'm usually good at this game, but the number four was John Hood number four. I think John Hood was number four.
Speaker 4: Well, he was here for fourteen years.
Speaker 6: He was number four.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 4: So we've got a big show schedule today coming up at ten thirty. The new head women's basketball coach at Houston, a guy by the name of Matthew Mitchell, is going to join us. Uh. He had his introductory news conference down there, and like we said yesterday, it's kind of weird to see him in red, but I thought it was a good chance to get him on give him his flowers and one of our favorite co hosts and Sega goodbyes. I guess it.
Speaker 6: Normally be awkward to have a coach of another team on the show, but you know he's he's especially to you just as much of a friend as he was a basketball coach here. I mean, he's hosted this show it feels like every summer going back forever. So it's it's fitting to have him on as he moves away, and it would be good to hear from him what I'm gonna be a Cougars fan. I'll be cheering for him.
Speaker 4: Every game as long as you're not playing Kentucky.
Speaker 6: Kentucky's still number one by far, but I'm wish him well down there in Houston.
Speaker 4: Shannon is Matthew Mitchell hos co hosted this show more than any other celebrity.
Speaker 3: Trying to think of who else would even be close. I mean when we get you know, like the Barstool Sports guys every year, but I feel like Matthew Mitchell was doing that before we even had the Barstool Sports guy it was, so I think that's probably right.
Speaker 4: He has hosted out of outside the four or five of us with Milliar six with Mario. He's probably Matthew Mitchell privately on the show more than anybody as a co host.
Speaker 6: And even though it's a phone interview, I assume it's phone interview. You didn't get him to fly here, did you?
Speaker 4: The personal My personal jet is not working today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've heard you have one, but no, I think we should count this as a guest hosting and just another tally for him, just in case he comes back on down the road. We'll keep the record going.
Speaker 4: So that's at ten thirty. Then at eleven o'clock, Malachai Marino is going to join us. He's on spring break, so he's not gonna miss class right thing. But he's had a very eventful couple of weeks. Mister basketball won the state title, MVP the state tournament, McDonald's All American Game. Now he's got attention focused on joining Kentucky. So I'm excited to kind of catch up with him a little bit.
Speaker 6: I have to commend you, these are two big gets people that are kind of very busy right now. May you can tell me it's a spring break. I would have told you. I'm I'm tired from flying around the country and playing basketball. I'm gonna relax, but he's going to be hopping on. I'm sure Coach Mitchell's got his hands full getting acclimated at Houston. So well done, Royn Lemon.
Speaker 4: Show prep. It's all about the show prep.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Shannon, what about since I said something about the show prep yesterday? What about last night's show prep? We even got like Tom Stamps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he broke it down per segment what we were talking about.
Speaker 2: And I've never seen anything. I mean, like maybe Tom.
Speaker 3: Leech when he does this show to le does he does me the lead report run down and I know who's coming on at what time. Ryan Lemon broke it down by the quarter hour, like every fifteen minutes. We know what we're doing on this show. We've never done that before. Usually we just come in here. We don't have a clue what we're talking about today. I feel like we're prepared more than ever. So this is going to be the best show that we've ever done.
Speaker 4: Well, this is why I did it that way. You know, I gave you guys an our homework assignment. You had to come up with five fun facts for each of the final four teams. Yep, So we had to spread it out. I wanted you to know where you're going to be going. I figured most of you probably didn't do your homework as.
Speaker 6: Oh, come on, you know I did it.
Speaker 4: Mario would be probably doing it right now trying to get Mario was watching Billy in the in the second hour, because you know Billy didn't do his. He's doing it right now. Shannon, did you do yours?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm frantically googling as we speak, so.
Speaker 4: You know what you're coming on? Forty five is Auburn.
Speaker 6: So since I'm first in the in the line up according to your timeline, you said, does that mean you had the most faith in me? Am I the most responsible?
Speaker 4: Actually, you're at one hundred percent correct. I though Drew will probably get it done, thank you. I figured, and everybody else will be doing it during the course of the show, trying to scramble and do their your five fun facts. But you know, we stole this straight off pf Tea and Big Cat because they did it was the Sweet sixteenth, and it was funny. It was really good. So I have high hopes for you guys.
Speaker 6: I almost forgot I was on my third episode of the new season of righteous Gymstones last night, which that's a conversation in itself. This season is off the rails, but it's hilarious. But it registered right around nine o'clock and I dropped everything I was doing and got into the lab basically went to Houston in my brain to get ready for these facts.
Speaker 4: Speaking of right to Jimstones. A lot of male nunity in this season, a lot of male Newtony.
Speaker 6: I've seen more of Walt Goggins this week.
Speaker 4: Than Sid I ever want to see ever again.
Speaker 6: It is hilarious, though not for everyone. You know, I encourage you to watch it if you're into that kind of thing. I wouldn't say everyone should go tune into this season of Riches Jimstones, but they've lost their minds. This is beyond silly.
Speaker 4: So that's what's kind of planned for today. So it's a different show. I won't be able to take a whole lot of phone calls. We'll try to squeeze something as we go along, but kind of I'm anxious to hear what you guys have to say with your homework assignment. At least you don't have to worry about your Atlanta Breid. They didn't play last night.
Speaker 2: They didn't lose.
Speaker 4: Though they didn't lose, they congratulations Braves didn't lose. Still one to seven.
Speaker 2: Braves or Reds didn't win either.
Speaker 6: I did see a meme someone photoshopped a box score of the Braves playing. It was just an airplane and it says, oh wow, the Braves lose the travel day to go to o to eight. So even though we had a day off, the internet was still having fun making fun of the Braves.
Speaker 4: I do want to talk about one story before we get out of time. Coastal Carolina is trying something different this year at the college football season. They're gonna have free concessions for anybody inside the stadium. So if you buy a ticket or if you're there at the game free concessions, you can come back as many times as you want. How do you think this is gonna go over? And is it a good idea?
Speaker 6: I think it's a pretty good marketing idea. I don't think it'll get abused as much as people might think it is. When you first hear that, like who really gets popcorn hot dog in a drink at a football game? And they're watching them like, you know what? I need another big box of popcorn, another hot dog. I'm gonna go get in line again for this now some people will, but I doubt it's as many as it seems. Just on the surface of free concessions. I'm fine with a hot dog and a popcorn, so and that can't cost them more than a buck or two to make that stuff, especially the popcorn. So I think just the fact that everyone's talking about it, they'll probably sell a few more tickets with excitement.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 6: Called They've probably even factored in that five six bucks in the ticket prices. I think it's a good marketing idea.
Speaker 3: Shant you say, who loads up at a concession stand? You got two of the guys on the show. You should have seen it. Well, you did see us at the Kentucky Tennessee game in the NCAA tournament. We will we get like a twenty dollars allowance, and.
Speaker 4: We were up there with us every.
Speaker 3: Penny oversized putzel. I think I got some chili, cheese dog, chili. Yeah, you did it with the Najos. The chili, the cheese dog, the pretzel. I think I got some peanuts. What else did you get? Like we were loading it up?
Speaker 6: So, but you did one trip? Are you gonna keep going to your seat at a football game and going getting back in line just for another thing? Upopcorn will have to because he will already spilled his all over them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I probably would.
Speaker 6: You're probably banned from Coastal Carolina games. They probably have you on a list knowing you could take them down.
Speaker 4: Well, I think this is a great idea, of course, you know, not non SEC schools or non big ten skulls where crowds. Maybe they're trying to get more people there. So at Coastal Carolina or maybe Murray State or e KU or someplace like that, I can see them trying that because I think that is a little bit of a hook to get people to go to the game.
Speaker 6: It reminds me of something you you can remember remember when Holiday World did free free drinks, free soft drink, free sunscreen.
Speaker 4: Do you think they still do it?
Speaker 6: But when they announced that, it was like how could they possibly do that?
Speaker 4: And you couldn't get enough of it?
Speaker 6: He kept drinking and how much does a soft drink really cost? That still pops in my brain twenty years later. So I think it word idea. I don't think he'll hurt him too bad in it, like it's probably factored into the cost anyway.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll take our break. We come back. Drew is on the clock. He has the Houston Fun Facts Round one or our Final four Trivia not trivia fun Fact day. Are you ready?
Speaker 6: I'm as ready as I'm gonna get.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll take our break. Come back, Ryan Drew and Shannon here, Kentucky's Ports Radio. Welcome back, Ryan Drew and Shannon here, Kentucky's Ports Radio. Before we hand it over to Drew, one note from the Avision Glass text machine. Britt says they've closed the Second Street floodgate in Louisville for the first time in its twenty eighteen and there's more rain coming, so just get used to that. I again. All right, we're gonna turn it over to Drew. Drew, you have the floor, all right.
Speaker 6: I wasn't sure what direction you won with the facts. So I have a few basketball some that are kind of known, then some few just university things. Yeah, is that core?
Speaker 4: Did you warn all basketball fun facts about Houston?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna start with a little bit of tournament statistics for you. All right, they have the nation's longest streak of Sweet sixteen appearances. Are you aware of that?
Speaker 4: I was not aware.
Speaker 6: They've been knocking on the door for a while. Houston s obviously they've made it to the final four this year, but they've been in the Sweet sixteen going back to twenty nineteen, and that is a relative to us because they lost to the Kentucky Wildcats where PJ. Washington added whatever his name was. Tyler Hero gets the rebound down one I believe, yeah, down one, goes the other way, passes it to Keldon Johnson. Keldon Johnson passes it right back to him, and Hero hits one of the biggest shots in recent Kentucky n CUAA history. There. Uh, after that game, we win. I think Hero iiced to with two more free throws. But after that game is when I had my press conference where I made Cal very uncomfortable and you know, you have to introduce yourself. Drew Franklin Tekey Sports Radio. This questions for the bucket is how Cal the look on his face and he put his hand and put his face in his hands and looked away because he's like, I can't believe this idiot has a microphone in our press conference. But it got a good laugh from hero PJ. Reed, Travis, all those guys on the stage. So a KSR memory tied into Houston's sweet sixty.
Speaker 4: Remember that? Very good?
Speaker 6: So is that a good one? That one us our older listeners which will surely know this one, but maybe some young people need to learn about the history of college basketball. But they went to three straight final fours in the eighties with you know the name, the Cheam, the Dream five Slamma Jama Drexel known as Texas tallest fraternity. They were playing fast paced, they were dunking. No one did that at the time. John Wooden thought it was crazy, thought it was unacceptable you could run and dunk like that. They beat Louisville in the semis in their first final four, never won the championship, had a tough loss, but one of the more famous teams or eras of college basketball history was Houston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you say five Slamma Jamat everybody are my age?
Speaker 6: For sure?
Speaker 4: You know it's exactly who you're talking about.
Speaker 6: Another example of knocking on the door. Three straight final fours. Haven't gotten one yet?
Speaker 4: Very good? All right?
Speaker 6: One more basketball one. Also going back in time. On January twentieth, nineteen sixty eight, undefeated Houston played undefeated UCLA in the Astrodome. Known as the Game of the Century. It was the first regular season college basketball game ever broadcast nationwide in prime time, and they say it paved the way for March Madness.
Speaker 4: Maybe the most famous game ever played ever of the century of the century. That game, I mean, I don't remember. I was too young to remember, but I know the history of it.
Speaker 6: Came down to the very end. It lived up to the hype. Houston one by two U c l A had a guy open on the wing, their best player. They threw it to him and another player kind of deflected it thinking it was for him, goes out of bounds. Houston wins.
Speaker 4: Very cool.
Speaker 6: So that's enough about Astrodome. Let's do some notable alums. This is my favorite game to play. They have a lot there. Started with Jim Nance I say, you got you know, we've only got eleven years of him left in the Masters. He doesn't do March Madness anymore, but everybody knows if you've watched March Madness for years with Jim Nancy, he likes his Houston Cougar's Uh Lizzo Lizzo, Yep, she played the flute in the band there before her her career. Really, I know you're a big Lizzo fan. Kenny Rogers.
Speaker 4: I thought I always thought he was to such a big Georgia supporter. He went to Georgia, he attended Houston.
Speaker 6: I even double checked Wikipedia, because sometimes they'll just people get an honorary degree and throw that in there. How about Dennis Quaid, Dennis Quay. You got a favorite Dennis Quaid movie? No, what about a Randy Quaid movie? I think he went there too.
Speaker 4: American National Lampoon Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Christmas Vacation.
Speaker 2: You don't know a Randy Quaid movie?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: He was what was the base mcgoki. Yes, that's the best.
Speaker 6: Tennis right, Randy's the one that's.
Speaker 4: A little wacko.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Dan Rather, who you've modeled your career after we met.
Speaker 4: Dan Rather at the Republican Convention that that.
Speaker 6: Year, another KSR connection. We have a picture with him.
Speaker 4: I think that we do have a picture of Dan Rather.
Speaker 6: And then master P master P master P went to Houston on a basketball scholarship, dropped out, which panned out because he soon made them say uh with no limit records, great great, uh hip hop artist from from my youth.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty good roster. You dug up there.
Speaker 6: I could keep going. It's a long list. I feel like that's plenty. And then my last one I found to be the most interesting. Houston has a hand gesture.
Speaker 4: It's this, Yes, what is that?
Speaker 6: Well, it's kind of inappropriate, to be honest. Uh huh, how would you describe you take your ring? We can't say that, right, yeah, but we can't say what I'm doing right. Well, let me just set up the story. Then, in eight or nineteen fifty three, they had a live mascot, Shasta the Cougar, Shasta the Cougar, and it had the cougar guard that would take it around in cage. They don't do this anymore now. They just have the fuzzy one with some college kid, some sweaty kid in it. But they had a live one for many years and they were going to play Texas and Austin, and the cougar guard severed Shasta's toe or finger, Paul, whatever that would be.
Speaker 4: Is it a toe?
Speaker 6: It's a toe?
Speaker 4: A toe?
Speaker 6: I guess yes, took it completely off in the cage door on the way to Austin. So now the hand gesture is is I wish I knew how to describe that, but you're putting one finger down.
Speaker 4: It's a it's your ring finger. The one you're down your thumb.
Speaker 6: You put it with your thumb and then your other three fingers are straight up in the air. As a high schooler, we did it, admit something else as a joke inappropriate. But if you look at their crown, they all hold it up. And that's because Shasta the Cougar lost a toe on their way to Austin in the shutting the cage door.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Matthew Mitchell's coming up the next segment and he was doing the signal the hand gestures.
Speaker 6: With all these pictures I had seen it. They even have it on like posters. I never knew the backstory, but it is because the cougar guard, poor Shasta just losing a finger on the way or a toe. So there you go. Those are my five very good wells. In fact, good John Houston is also going to win the national championship. That's my sixth Fack.
Speaker 4: They're an undergall underdog to Duke. Right.
Speaker 6: Uh, sure, I haven't looked at the spreads because I've kind of I'm like everyone else. I'm not ready to get into March madness with my team ount. I will buy tomorrow, but I've this week I watched the Crown in Vegas, other boring sports like baseball. I haven't fully gotten into the spirit of the tournament since we've been.
Speaker 2: Out five and a half point dog.
Speaker 6: Oh, they're covering that and winning.
Speaker 4: Houston covers and wins.
Speaker 6: Houston's winning the national championship.
Speaker 4: Shanaway, you think.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say Houston is going to win, but I think they'll cover the five and a half. I think it'll be close.
Speaker 4: I would probably pick Duke to cover.
Speaker 6: I admit that I've been against Duke. I had them losing to Baylor in the second round. So part of it is, uh, I just wanted to be right that they're going to be out. Yeah, it's a lot of hate in my heart for Duke, like many people listening. That's why I'm picking them. But they have looked pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: All right, well done, good job, eight two eight seven, that's our cards phone numbers.
Speaker 6: Did I understand this?
Speaker 4: Who understood the assignment. Yes you did. You have to go hang a banner. It's all about hanging number nine. All right, let's get a phone call for we go to our break. Who we got chanting?
Speaker 7: Mike?
Speaker 4: Mike, go ahead, Mike.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, I just wanted to let you know we had a Kentucky athlete to make history this last weekend. Kerwin Hackey from Lexington, Kentucky is a senior at the University Arizona and his college's wheelchair basketball team won the national championships this last weekend. Very excited for him. Uh so the history part is Kerwin's. It was only Kentucky player. He won a high school national wheelchair basketball championship and won in college also, So we're very excited, very proud of him.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much, And I'm so glad you said that. We know Kerwin. Kerwin's been here to the restaurant. I've known Kerwin since he was at Brian Station Middle School. He was good friends with my son Hanger, you know, all the classmates together. A great, great person. That's a great family that had adopted him and took care of him. And I'm so proud of him. Like you said, won a high school state title wheelchair basketball. Now he's at Arizona. How do we let him out of Kentucky? Wow? Will chair national champion at Arizona.
Speaker 6: Very very cool. Met him in a few times. Like you said, I serve as car.
Speaker 5: There, so we have I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that have kids with disabilities or you may know one, and Kerwin had a lot of opportunities to play, and a lot of times the families don't know about those opportunities. So if you know or have a kid with the disability, absolutely they can visit Cincinnati Dragon and fill out of contact form and we'll help them find the closest.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: I'd like to see lots more kids like Kerwin be able to have those opportunities compete in sports. So appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. He's exactly right, one hundred percent since and ay Dragon that's his team. He plays all the day. Already call the day. That is our whiskey thief. Call to day. We'll get you better than that. Matthew Mitchell rejoins us, we come back. You're Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 6: TJ.
Speaker 2: Smith Personal injury attorney.
Speaker 6: Call TJ.
Speaker 2: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 2: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Well, the only time we play Kelly Clarkson is when this guy's coming on the show. He's been on the show more than any other guest host we think we've ever had. Now he's leaving us saying goodbye, going to Houston. The number one Kelly Clarkson fan ever in the history of Kentucky. Matthew Mitchell, Hello, Coach Mitchell.
Speaker 7: It can only mean one thing when Kelly comes on. Coach Mitchell is just around the corner. So how many times have we played that? One of the great songs of all time, of all time?
Speaker 4: But Shannon has nothing else to play, he plays that song. I think that's what it comes down to.
Speaker 7: It always puzzles me when I'm listening to the show that there's not more Kelly Parkson. Well, just a suggestion, just a suggestion.
Speaker 4: Hey man, Look, you know you guys. You and I have texted, but we've not really talked because congratulations. I mean, I was super happy to see the news. Proud of you. I know you gotta be excited to kind of get back into the coaching realm W and you're doing it at Houston. How'd that all play out?
Speaker 7: Well? I had been getting beaten so bad in the Lexington Parochial League. I mean it was so tough to get a win. Uh some of the great coaches in the area, and Glendover League. Also Glendover League. I couldn't get any wins. Uh and and and then the Parochial league. And so I've been coaching the elections in school and uh and in the Glendover League. And Brian I said, if I'm gonna win, I got to get back into college basketball. Pretty simple. I got to get back in college basketball because I want to punch in college basketball. I could get no wins in the parochial league. So we had been, you know, talking as a family and wanting to get back at it and and give it a whirl. And this thing at Houston reminds me so much of when we first arrived at Kentucky. And you know, it's it's a great challenge, it's a great opportunity they have. It's a it's a great basketball city and they are hungry for some good women's basketball, and we just believe we can have another great run here. So God's really blessed us with a great opportunity and we feel grateful for it. I tell you we are. You know, well, well we'll never ever leave Lexington with our hearts and we have so many friends there, and the Kentucky fans have just treated us unbelievably well and supported us all those years and they still do. They everywhere I go in town, just just have so much love expressed toward me. So we will always forever be connected to that community and connected to that city and the university, and we're so grateful for our time there. So this is just another it's just a little, you know, big tour on life's path and you never know where it's going to go. But we are thrilled with this opportunity and excited for a new adventure in Houston.
Speaker 6: Listen to you in that answer, you're saying we and you mentioned your family. It sounds like, you know, sometimes you got to get the Jenna approval if you've mentioned on this show a few times past and past summer hosting duties. So Jenna and the family, they're all in on heading to Houston and being full supporters of the Cougars.
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely all in Jenna, I said Tuesday when when we you know, had the press conference. Jenna, you know, never let me forget of what I could do well in college basketball. And I've really I've been immersed in building my company the last four years, and that's been I think I already have noticed in the first few days that was a very beneficial part of the journey for me. I learned a lot, learned a lot about myself, learned a lot about leadership. But Jenna never let me forget that what I've done the most and accomplished the most and done the best in my professional careers coach Hoss basketball. So she's she's absolutely thrilled, absolutely supportive incomes me. Any time there was, you know, a possible opportunity. She always kept that front and center. And so I owe a lot to her. And you know, she and I were a great partner of great partnership of Kentucky, and I know we're gonna be able to work together here to get Houston to the spot they deserve to be in.
Speaker 4: I think what I'm hearing you say, Drew, is that Jenna tired of him hanging around the house and said kicked him out and go get a job. Get out of the house, Matthew, go get a job.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean that that lasted that that actually didn't last very long. I've been out of the house. I have I have been an office over Wintersburg Road.
Speaker 5: Ryan.
Speaker 7: I do go to work every I have been going to work every day. I have written two books, two best selling books.
Speaker 4: Ryan.
Speaker 7: I've not been I've not been retired. I've been working really really hard. So leave it to you to try to go negative here. Leave it to you. It's unbelievable. You always find a way. You always find a way, Ryan.
Speaker 4: That's part of it.
Speaker 6: You mentioned no question. You mentioned how Kentucky will always be home to you. I mean, you spent over twenty years here between Morehead and Kentucky. Outside of you know, the basketball and coaching. What will you miss most about the Bluegrass anything in particular that you're really close to here and you'll miss as you head to Texas.
Speaker 7: Well. We you're right, Drew, twel over twenty years there. Came to came to Kentucky as an assistant twenty two years ago, and we never you know, never left here in that time and even even during our two years at Moorhead State, which were incredible for me in my development. Jenna was working in town, so so we've been there a long time, so with so many relationships. I mentioned the Lexington School where our kids go to school, and we're going to miss that. Great people there. I wanted to on Tuesday and I forgot. I'm so glad I have an opportunity seriously. Coaching over there the last two years was just some some great people who are given their time to kids. And we coached this sixth, seventh, and eighth graders and those coaches at the Lexington School really helped me stay connected to my passion about teaching the game and and and you know, it's sort of full circle for me as I start it out as a junior high and high school coach. To be back into a school setting and get to work with those kids and and those coaches really are were inspiring to me. So so I miss I missed the school, and I missed that opportunity all of the friendships that we have. I don't know if I'm banned from the show now, I will definitely miss coming on the show. If I get banned, that's possible that I could possibly be banned. But I don't know why I couldn't come back in guest host every now and then during the summertime, during the dark days of summer. I don't know why I wouldn't be able to do that. But maybe I'll miss that if that's out. Uh, I'll miss Keenland. I'll miss uh, you know, going to watch Coach Stoops and the Cats on Saturdays. I mean, there's just so many things that that are unique about Central Kentucky and unique about Lexington, and uh, we love it, and uh, I don't know how it would be possible for us to ever, you know, fully depart. We will be back several times a year, and you know, I'm sure every April of October for Keenland and stuff like that. But we're just so many great relationships and we will miss that. But hoping that when people have a chance, they'll pop down to Houston every now and then, a lot of flights a lot of flights down to Houston.
Speaker 4: It's obvious how much this place means to you because one of your daughters named is middle name is Blue. Right, you named your daughter Blue.
Speaker 7: For crying out loud, that was a great It's a great story, if you'll allow me to tell it. We had had finally got it rolling and had won the twenty twelve SEC Championship, and then we won thirty games in twenty thirteen, and there were rumblings that I was going to go to Tennessee, and there were some, you know, some rumblings about that, and so I started going around town and everybody's like, Coach, please don't go to Sueston, Please don't go to see And I said, I'm not going to Tennessee. You don't have to worry about that. And so I just told Jenna. I said, Jenna, I wouldn't it be cool if we just let everybody know how much we love Kentucky and we uh. And I didn't think she'd go for this in a million years. I didn't remember when we had the the contest the named Jenna for her grandmother name. When when when lady Mammy Jay Mammy j was the winner. We did that was a great show. Anyhow, I didn't think, you know, Jenna didn't like Mammy j. But I said, why don't we make her middle name blue to let everybody know we're staying here and this is this is where we're going to be And so that's how Presley Blue got her middle name. And it absolutely signifies how much we love Kentucky and we do, we do and always will.
Speaker 4: Well, dude, we're super happy for you, proud of you, wish you not but the best. We will probay root against you. If you end up playing Kentucky in the final four, we'll probably root against you.
Speaker 6: But yeah, yeah, what's Ryan? What your T shirt size? We need some. We'll take some Houston garret when you know, we'll watch you get moved in first, get your team get settled. But you know we're gonna be Houston fans from Lex and I don't know how many games we can attend, but our mister free T shirt over here. I'm gonna put you on the spot and make sure Ryan gets a T shirt.
Speaker 7: I love that it's on the way. It's on the way, fellas, And this is listen, this is not goodbye, guys, this is just so long farewell just for a bit, and uh, it's gonna be a lot of fun. And I appreciate it. And listen, in all seriousness, I appreciate Matt and you guys. When I was building the program and trying to get it going. You really gave me so much a platform to get on and talk about it and and just really helped our program get to the fans and create a fan base and create the passion that that's there now for women's basketball. And you all were a huge part of that. And we'll never forget the Big Blue Madness skit when I was able to choke Ryan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't had that actually, Uh.
Speaker 7: That was that was another great moment. But but I really I appreciate Kentucky Sports Radio. Uh always will be a fan and always be appreciative of what y'all done. And if you ever need a guest host, just you know where to come.
Speaker 4: We'll be calling you. We'll be calling you. We just kind of wanted to give your flowers today, wish the best of luck and uh say oah goodbye is kind of say our goodbyes a little bit. But yeah, we would love to have you back whenever you can, so coach, congratulations, best of luck to you down there in Houston.
Speaker 7: Hey, thanks you guys, and thanks to all the Big Blue Nation. UH love love them, and uh appreciate everything you guys done, and we will we will, we will be around all right, all.
Speaker 4: Right, all right, go coops, Matthew, bet you guys. We're in Red now and the new head coach down at Houston. Well, I'm I'm gonna miss him because you know, I consider him a friend and he's always great. When he did the show, he had some great shows he did when he hosted the show. Of course, all of his midnight Madness dance routines were legendary. It was the best thing about Madness for many years, was his dance.
Speaker 6: I wonder if he'll be taking that to Uston. Should ask him if the dance tradition will carry on, But no, I'll be rooting for him. You mentioned like almost going to Tennessee or being roomed to go to Tennessee. That would have been a different story if you're going to arrival, that's true. Houston's far enough away. I will happily be a Cougar's fan. Unlikely we ever run into him, but yeah, I'll be rooting for him to have a lot of success.
Speaker 4: All right, Shannon's on the clock. We come back. Shannon the Dude's five thun Pack Facts about Auburt Five fun backs about Auburn. Shannon, Are you're ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready, let's go.
Speaker 4: All right, We'll be right back, Ryan Drew and Shannon here, Kentucky's Ports Radio. All right, welcome back, Ryan Drew and Stanning here, Kentucky's Ports Radio. Was so nice for Matthew to Mitchell to join us on JT's phone for that interview.
Speaker 3: I was waiting to see if you were gonna say anything about that. We could have called him back maybe.
Speaker 4: Well, was it that bad? You and I? We was crackling a lot on our Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice it, like when I talked to him off the air. Then as soon as we get on.
Speaker 4: Shannon's got Auburn now, and his segment is so important. He's got his own sponsor for this segment, So Shannon take it away.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by Google. No, we'll get to that in just a minute.
Speaker 3: This segment is sponsored by our friends at Bluegrass Roofing and Consulting. You know, there's been a lot of bad storms recently. You may have storm damage on your roof. You need to check it out. If you have, like maybe just a little bit of a minor issue with your roof, it can end up costing you thousands in the future, So get it checked out at Bluegrass Roofing and Consulting. They always offer free estimates and their veteran, family and first responder owned company, fully licensed and insured, and they take pride and exceptional customer service and thorough communication. Free inspections always, and they use state of the art technology to give you a thorough breakdown of your roofing system so that you can trust recommendations that they provide. Residential and commercial roofing specialists. They love to come out and help you out and make sure that you don't have any damage. We'll give him a call at Bluegrass Roofing and Consulting and you can go to Let's see what's the website. I thought they had their website listed on here, just one night hundred Roofpro. Give them a call one night hundred roof Pro and if they come out, they can offer you a lifetime warranty on any full roof replacement used the promo code KSR. When you call it a schedule your free inspection, you're gonna get five percent off up to five hundred dollars off of roof repair.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: That is one eight hundred roof Pro here. It is Bluegrass Roofing Andconsulting dot com.
Speaker 4: There you go. Yeah, all right, Auburn Tigers. What do you got for us?
Speaker 2: Well, Auburn is a really old school.
Speaker 3: Did you realize that Auburn goes all the way back to the Civil War days?
Speaker 2: Duel is not.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, during the Civil War, Auburn originally named East Alabama mal College. They suspended operations to become a hospital while it's campus served as a training ground for the Confederate Army.
Speaker 2: So Auburn, Yeah, Auburn's a really old school.
Speaker 4: Have a good little fun fact.
Speaker 2: Here's one with a little Kittuck tie in. They're a longtime lead trainer.
Speaker 3: Clark Pearson is a graduate of Franklin Simpson High School, really in Franklin, Kentucky territory.
Speaker 2: There you go. Abby is the name of the mascot, and he is an eleven time U see a national mascot champion. Didn't even know they had mascot championships, but he's an eleven time winner. Nice Abby, Abby.
Speaker 6: Bobby has he ever gotten his Paul stuck in a cage?
Speaker 2: I cannot find any evidence of that. Jordan Hare Stadium, you know that's the name of their football stadium, right, big Stadium yes, all right, Well do you know how it got its name.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you right now.
Speaker 3: Jordan Hare Stadium is named after a motorcycle race between head coach Chug Jordan and a famous circus animal named Bobby the Wiley Hare. So I guess the coach had a motorcycle race against the hair and they named it Jordan Hare Stadium. Interesting, doesn't doesn't say who won. I would think that a guy in a motorcycle could beat a hair.
Speaker 6: So we have a grocery store and they have a motorcycle race.
Speaker 2: That's right. Interesting yep. Here's another one.
Speaker 3: A stretch of road on campus called South Dona Hugh Drive is known as War Eagle Road because it plays the first seven notes of War Eagle's fight song when you drive over it. You know, like when we're on road trips and Matt hits those rumble strips. Yeah, well, if he did that, plays this song.
Speaker 2: I play this song.
Speaker 3: And speaking of War Eagle, you probably want to know, like, where did War Eagle come from?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: The most popular legend about the battle cry dates back to the first time Auburn met Georgia on the football field and eighteen ninety two in centers around a spectator who was a Civil War veteran. In the stands with him that day was an eagle the old soldier had found on a battlefield during the war.
Speaker 2: He had kept it as a pet for almost thirty years.
Speaker 4: My goodness.
Speaker 3: According to witnesses, the eagle suddenly broke free and began majestically circling the playing field as the eagle sword. Auburn began a steady march towards Georgia's end zone. Towards the Georgia en zone for a thrilling victory. Elated at the team's play and talking or taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell war eagle to spur on their team. As the game ended, the eagle took a sudden dive and crashed into the ground.
Speaker 2: Oh and died.
Speaker 4: No, it didn't.
Speaker 3: The Eagle committee is a true story. Kamikaze eagle it killed itself?
Speaker 4: Is this a true story? You made this up?
Speaker 2: This is on Auburn dot edu.
Speaker 4: Was is all?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 3: The eagle killed itself after Auburn came back to beat Georgia, And that's why they say war Eagle because.
Speaker 4: Of the Auburn Tigers. I never knew whether they said war Eagle. Now you know, I'll be suicide.
Speaker 2: That's right, you.
Speaker 4: Very good.
Speaker 6: I like the rumble strips the best. I want to go drive on that. I want to know how that works out. I don't have a fun fact about Auburn, but I would like to add, and we've said this many times, their basketball arena is pretty oft. It is pretty odd. I don't like to give other SEC schools credit for anything. I think they're all the worst. But I've been to that arena more than any opposing arena, and every time I'm in there, I'm like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is pretty cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They have a good student section along the sidelines. They line up early. That's mostly because I'm there for Kentucky games. Maybe against Vandy that's not the case. But they're one of the places that said, hey, we don't need this big, massive facility. I think it holds eight or nine thousand, but it's really nice inside. If anyone is ever looking for an SEC basketball road trip, I highly recommend never.
Speaker 2: I'm not finished. I got one more.
Speaker 4: Oh I thought that was fine.
Speaker 7: Bad?
Speaker 3: Maybe seven, I don't know, but I want to throw this in here because Bruce Pearl apparently is a huge fan of the pancake pantry. And I know this because my paparazzi friend Stacy has sent me not one, but two different pictures of Bruce eating at the pancake pantry.
Speaker 2: The one in Gallenberg, assume it's one in in Auburn.
Speaker 4: Oh, they've got a pantry. I thought you met the famous pancake pantry in Gatlinburg.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Is that is that a chain or is.
Speaker 6: It's famous in Nashville too, Yeah, it is a change.
Speaker 4: They got one probably down in Auburn, Alabama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you go to the pancake pantry in Auburn, there's a good chance you may see Bruce Pearl.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: That's where Bruce and I differ. I think that's the most overrated place in America.
Speaker 4: There's always a line.
Speaker 6: Always, and it's good. But I can get pancakes, not a line at other places.
Speaker 4: But there's something about that one in Gatlinburg that's really good.
Speaker 6: I haven't done just the Nashville when they're always even the sec they're lying around the corner.
Speaker 4: All right, Well take a break. Well done, Shannon, good.
Speaker 2: Job, great job, thank you.
Speaker 4: We'll take a break, come back, and Malachai Marino will join us live from the spring break. We come Back, I got take. Sports Radio