Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte? Guess who's here?
Speaker 2: Are you shooting now? Yeah?
Speaker 1: This is how it goes. I know it's pajake.
Speaker 2: It's just nice. It's a sooth kind entry. Yeah, it's very nice. It's very Christian.
Speaker 1: If you can't tell by her voice, Sarah Jessica here, I'm here. I know you can't tell. It is Joy as I told her when she walked in. Thank God we have this so that I can see her face to face. It is wonderful and I have been I literally have so many things to talk to you about that I don't even know where to begin, because I have been fully steeped in season three and season four, which I know that you don't watch, but I need to represent to you the unbelievable brilliance. And I'm not I'm not, I'm not kidding. It is I cannot believe that we made the show that we made. Wow, That's that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: It floors me.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I had Julian and Elisa on yesterday because we got to my mother board myself, which was their first episode. The amazing TV job.
Speaker 2: I mean to think now, as you've already stated, and I can just emphasize again how little I recall, which at this point might be purposeful. But I do recall a lot about my mother board myself, because I think a large number of us didn't even know what a motherboard was. And so there was that, which is just understanding motherboard. But also tech serve featured prominently, which is gone, which is so sad. And that was the episode. Is that Cynthia's mother? Yeah? Wow, yes, yeah, I can't believe that was their freshman script. Real. Yeah, it was such a you know, such a declaration of know here we are, Yes, we're hugely talented, and they just had it felt so right that they had been given that.
Speaker 1: I was so smart about that. We talked through that process a little bit, like how did they come He had had it on the whiteboard as Miranda's mother will die, which was a huge departure fresh We had not at that point done anything Familion then, right, And as Astuf who came earlier today was saying, the whole episode is about grief, right, because you lose your writing, which is your identity, you know, to a huge extent. And also a little bit earlier in the season in my mind, and Michael Patrick's coming next week. He told me, I know, I can't.
Speaker 2: Wait Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can't wait. I saw him when he got honored for the Human Rights Council whatever it is. It was amazing, like just the you know, he put a clip together. It was so incredible, and of course I cried and I was, you know, my Craig. But it's just so incredible to have been part of all of it, you know, and just doing things because we wanted to do them, I know, not really realizing the history and the repercussions and the connectedness and the.
Speaker 2: Chatter and the peripheral feelings. I think that wasn't a singularly unique time, but relative to the ways in which we live now and experience and absorb culture, it was. It feels like it was, you know, almost like a new born baby.
Speaker 1: There was so.
Speaker 2: Little cynicism about about work and you know, reception, and I think so, you know, lots of television shows had come and gone, great shows, lesser successful. Meeting shows had success, they had disappointment, they failed. They were monumental and consequential. But I think what was unique was that HBO to your point. Didn't care about reference. They were just doing what they wanted to do. So if there was any reason to be rational about choices, well don't do that, because this show didn't have luck when they did that, or there was a really strong reaction, or there was controversy. That just wasn't the way they made decisions. And that kind of ego filtered down to the shows, which was if you could afford it, for the most part, go ahead and do it amazing, Like if you can get that inside our budget every now and then you had to beg for rain, you know. Yeah, But I think that was just a massive advantage of the times in which we lived, and that time at HBO where absolutely it was new enough to be almost reckless. Yeah, and there was like a decadence to making television.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like it's hard to even really fathom the differences now, which you know, I don't even know. That would be a different podcast. But I'm so happy that we were able to create in that. But I also feel like the choices that were made and you were a huge part of that. And I wanted to talk a little bit about that because one thing that I do notice and I was aware of this at the time, but not fully right because I was just in it and trying to do the best I could do and trying to wear the shoes and blah blah blah, you know, trying to stay awake when I had to or whatever. Your credit, you know, is at the point where it's changing, right, Like now we're co executive producer and originally it was consultant. What was that like and what was your thinking about being part of the decisions.
Speaker 2: So when I met initially with Darren in ninety six, ninety seven, right, because we shot the pilot in ninety seven, correct.
Speaker 1: I think so, And it was on the idea, Yes, So I.
Speaker 2: Met with him and we met at Eli's, I think that version of say Bars on the Upper East Side on Madison, which was a very and continues to be a very fancy but maybe some might argue the greatest egg sil at in New York City. And I was very happy to meet him there, understanding that typically that lunch is going to be paid for, you know, if you're invited, And we talked and talked about this show and this idea and this pilot, and he said to me, then, and you know, you should produce the show at that first meeting, and I said, I I don't know how to produce a show. And he said, how long have you been on sets? How many years have you been on sets? And you know, I sort of thought about a number, and he said, you know how to produce. You just you just weren't paying attention. You just weren't thinking I should be watching for this reason. You were simply watching. I'm putting words in his mouth, but that that was the essence of the conversation. And I was, you know, hesitant, because I felt ill equipped and I didn't want to walk on a set in a position of an authority in title or any reason without feeling like I, you know, had the street credit. And he said, why don't you just be a consultant the first year? Just be a consultant, go to meetings, listen and learn, which was so wise and such good counsel and also just I think enormously generous, because it did, in many ways offer me a second career, like it paralleled the work of an of my life as an actor, but that allowed me to learn something else, which I think is invaluable, whether or not I chose to do anything with it. But what I discovered is I love producing, and I thought producing was really also just simply about math, which I had, you know, basically failed. Like as a student, I tested very poorly in math. I panicked over math. Math tests very poorly on my PSATs as if I never entered a classroom in my life. That's how I tested. And of course what I came to learn also is that producing is people. It's people, people, people, people people. And you can learn budget, you can learn union laws, you can learn you know, over time, golden time, you can learn wages, but how you handle that information is far more important than balancing the checkbook in a way, if you're a responsible person anyway that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, very much so. So I didn't know any of this. It's super, super fascinating. So in the beginning, the consultant was something that was Darren's idea, and you were kind of like, Okay, I don't want to overstep my budor. But then as time went on, how did it become a larger and larger part.
Speaker 2: I think what happened is when Michael took over season two. Correct, Yeah, there's always like this mysteries that we make that up, and he and I just had a kind of affinity for one another. And I think because he was assuming a really important, critical role and I was kind of changing the way I was interpreting my job outside of acting, we sort of there was this a kind of alignment, and I think we felt we needed each other. Yeah, And therefore my work as a producer became more important because our collaboration felt so necessary and important, And I think he was looking for someone to talk about ideas and feelings and scripts and pictures and colors, and I was looking to learn more about his work and how I could be a good and helpful partner and co producer or whatever I was called at that point. And so I think the more you listen and learn, and the more you're able to be a good collaborator and hear people who've done it longer, no more, the better partner you are. And so I think that season two we just started understanding our roles more clearly, if that makes sense, and you're just much more more invested. The more responsibility you have two people to a company, to a partnership, the more important those choices in those conversations become. Right.
Speaker 1: The thing for me that's interesting in terms of observing it, right. I think I've talked about this before. I don't know if I've talked to you about it, but I remember so clearly the pilot. I don't know if you remember this, when we go to the Chinese restaurant. It was like our first group scene, basically.
Speaker 2: I do remember that.
Speaker 1: And this is when you still had to talk to the camera, and it was super stressful and it was very strange because you had to take yourself out of the scene and talk to a mystery person in the camera, but you were talking to yourself, right, And I'm sitting there and I'm just all like, whoah oh. That's my general feeling at all times, and obviously very nervous also usually. And I remember a conversation that you had with Darren about the talking to the camera, and I thought you were completely because I knew he was an actor. How would I even do that. Yeah, it's a very strange thing for me, right, And we've talked about that before. But what I remember being so impactful for me was how you spoke to Darren because you you know, he was in charge and I had only ever known him in the Other World network world of Melrose and whatnot. And it's not like he was, you know, autocrat or anything, but he was like, I want you to do this, like let's try this, you know whatever. And you were just very calm and talking to but you were you were so calm, but you were very clear in a way that I hadn't really seen other actors do at that point, because I had not been like our creation was different, you know, it was different from the beginning, right, And and you had it back and forth with him, and I was like, yes, she's right, because it was wacky, you know what he was asking. And sometimes Darren would just have an idea.
Speaker 2: You know, like which is good and welcome, of course, of course, but sometimes it.
Speaker 1: Would be strange, like I remember one time later on maybe in is one, you're looking through a window at shoes and suddenly like basically an emoji appears on the screen.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And you're just like, wait, what's happening? And do you remember how they used to do like split screens when we were on the phone or whatever. Yes, and then they'd move like Brady Bunch, yes, just like wait wait, yes, that was him trying stuff out right. Well, there's nothing wrong with that, But it's also like you're just like, wait, wait, what what's going on? Are like Sparkly Star is going to show actually what is happening? Which brings me to one thing I'm gonna ask you about in a second. But the thing that I love, and that really the reason that I still think about it, is that I loved the way that you spoke to him from a place of like calm, power, not power power, of like it will be my way. And he wasn't saying that to you either. It was I'm in my skin and this is how it feels, and this is what I'm worried about. I'm worried that it's taking me away from the group scene, which is really important, and from the instincts, there was nothing more important if you think about our trajectory, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that if he had not in our initial meeting, if he'd not been so hospitable to me, just in general, but also the ways in which he he felt like I could and should do this part, I probably would not have had the courage to share with him when something didn't feel good right. And I think, in particular to talking to the camera, for me, felt really problematic because I think, as I said at the time, it's extremely hard to do well. And as you know, I repeated, my husband did it in a movie, and he did it extremely well, and it felt like a kind of device that suited that movie so perfectly. And I don't have to go into all that, but if the thrust of our show, as I understood it at that time, were these kinds of intimacies and conversation and the necessity of these friendships, and the fact that it was a column, if the human exchange weren't so important, and maybe if we were a three camera show, you could have felt like a kind of buoyancy around that that would be funny, and maybe the audience could start getting involved with it and you could like almost like score it with music and like you could do a whole thing with it. But to be a single camera show at that point, darkly lit like cinematic, it felt like the Sesame Street, like one of these things is not like the other. It didn't. So I think my argument at the time was, I think it's hurting what you're really trying to do, which is the thing that matters most to you. And I don't think I'm doing it well, which is also problematic. It's not going to be good. I think it's going to hurt the show.
Speaker 1: Right, and you were one right in my opinion. But what I loved about it was that you you were fully invested from the get go, and I don't think you know another way to be right. I only barely met you that day, you know what I mean, But like that's just who you are, which is a beautiful thing. And what also, I feel like as time went on and your title grew, and basically what you're saying is that Darren kind of planted the seed and then you and Michael had this kind of meeting of the minds and souls, right, and flowed from that. I was thinking about this too as I'm watching in my mind what I think I had done, because I watched these shows as though I have never seen them lately, Like I'm just like, I don't remember the Almos.
Speaker 2: Will ever have a courage to do that?
Speaker 1: I hope and I pray that you will. Like I'm so happy that you never get sick, and I don't want you to ever get sick. But let's say sometime you pick up a virus or whatever.
Speaker 2: I never do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: This would be an excellent way to feel better. I think because having the distance now that we have, because I always watched it right away when we got it because it was so exciting, right and remember we used to get the vhs and they weren't always complete. There might be a card or music or whatever, you know what I mean, Right so now, And I thought I knew a lot, and I do in some ways. But like I was trying to get ready to come here yesterday and I was doing my makeup while I was watching my mother board myself and Sirjisca. It floored me and I cried my makeup off.
Speaker 2: Wow it wow is so good.
Speaker 1: It is so like beautifully crafted and created and acted and all of the things. But also it's about loss, and we're little babies. Yeah we don't really know it's present. Yeah, And that made me just so moved, you know. Yeah, Like it's hard, but it's also great, I'm saying. And I kind of just don't know how we did it, Like I mean, it's just this miracle that everyone came together and were able to create a situation which I think you and Michael through your partnership it bled down right that everyone was included, you know, like in the storytelling, like Julian and Melissa, who were so young, could just walk in and write that scrip.
Speaker 2: You can't believe it, right? And that was their memories or do you not want to spend time talking about that?
Speaker 1: No? No, their memories are great because what their memory? They're so adorable and funny. And how old were they? I mean I should have asked them because I didn't ask them. In their twenties, yeah, carally young and they had been go out in La meeting. They had a pilot and their agent told them to go meet Darren Start the next morning. They were like, no, sorry, we've got a flight, and he was like, you're going to change your flight and you might have to sleep on so much floor, So they had to sleep on their friend's floor. They were a little cats, do you know what I mean? But they're also so adorably rounded in themselves that they were No, and then Darren and then they came to the writer's room and then Michael did his magic, you know, like cultivating them and giving them the confidence. But also they told me a funny story that he would pop his head in their office door and be like you're fired, just to keep everyone on their toes.
Speaker 2: And they had the office at Silver Cup. I remember their offices. I think they were upstairs above.
Speaker 1: Yes, Michael, Yes, above the floor where we would do it most like the second mezzanine, weird floor. Then sometimes you'd get off and you'd be like, wait where am I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were straight up there.
Speaker 1: And they also talked a lot about Jenny and Cindy and the kind of female bond and that they were there first and they were kind of senior to them and really helped them. And it's so beautiful to her about it's incredible. And soon we'll have a maybe Harris and we'll have listed chill getting to them. It's so much fun to think back on and.
Speaker 2: Just Amy will be super interesting because she was there really from the beginning.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think i'll say this to herb but I remember her carrying Darren suitcase.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she was his assistant. Yeah, like it's amazing, it is amazing. Yeah, yeah, it's really And now she's a showrunner and impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sons.
Speaker 2: One of the things you know, you talk about, you know a kind of when you talk about the work being good, which is so nice to hear. I remember the church, I remember obviously tech serve. I remember wrapping the computer in a scarf for something. Yes, I think it is Becky and Baker in.
Speaker 1: That episode the Sisters, the first time we see her.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you know, and I think we've discussed this before, but it bears repeating. It's not as if it was, you know, completely free of any complexity, but it was so happy. Like I think of being in that church for countless hours, and all the background players that were there all day long, and just the kind of working environment. It was funny and fun and the crew was always laughing and working the hardest of everybody, you know. Yes, and big equipment in those days, bigger, those big, big, huge lights, big cameras with film and real film, and loading magazines of film and carding them from far away to a shoot, you know, to a location that we couldn't have the trucks nearby. And just the kind of collegiality, the kind of fraternity and sorority that surrounded it. I think helped a huge amount because and it's not that great work can't happen when people are unhappy and there's lots of examples of that too, but I prefer the former, of course, you know, so part of me isn't even surprised that you're experiencing it that way because we liked doing it, Yes, like we really loved the table reads. You know. If something didn't feel right, we tried to talk about it and see if it could adjust it right, make it feel more right or more correct, and then be told the reasons that we're wrong, you know, which I tend to believe, you know. Yeah, but there was a real kind of youthful energy. Yes. I don't mean that spiritually even, I mean like sincerely from people from all ages. Yeah, you know, useful energy from sixty year olds to twenty year olds, you know, and that includes cast crew and everybody in between. Yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean there's so many things that I think of when I'm watching it, and because I talk about it and my phone algorithm shows me things. I saw this at door picture and I was going to try to print it out, but I forgot. You know, the white dress when you break up with Big in front of the plaza and you say you're christ and you're yes, beautiful. There's a great behind the scenes picture where you're standing kind of in the forefront. I'm sure it's the proper Roozzi whatever, but less than obviously, yeah than now. But Collins, Joe Collins is in the background when he was focused pulling, and he's wearing like a straw.
Speaker 2: Oh he well, he wore the hat all the time.
Speaker 1: You remember, and the shorts and like a wife beater because it was like one hundred degrees.
Speaker 2: Super handsome.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so handsome. And I just remember how they got us through the day.
Speaker 2: They're amazing. The camera department was beyond It was so superior, right, they were incredible, and everybody, you know, matriculated up, everybody.
Speaker 1: I know. I tell you that I had the crazy like fantasy when we came back to doing just like that, that they were going to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know that they have huge.
Speaker 1: Titles now, I know, and we got a wonderful crew, but like it is so interesting to think of like that McDonald, Oh my god, incredible in peace, yes, Joe, Dolly, Joe Manory, oh my god, like every camera person, my camera incredible, y.
Speaker 2: Yes, your man who was he? He always called his wife the bride, our big gaffer, our big uh. He moved all the sad Lowry.
Speaker 1: Oh low Lowry. Do you remember Bobby my driver?
Speaker 2: Of course, of course Bobby, because then Bobby started driving me. Yes, when super Dave left, Yes, super Dave.
Speaker 1: I love it so much. Okay, wait, we could go off on so many tangents. But one of the things I wanted to tell you, which was really highly highly enjoyable, because, as I said, in my mind, and Michael Patrick tells me that he's going to be able to fix this when he comes. But in my mind, I have no memory of season four, and I now realize it Seamson four, season four, So much happens, Sir Jusica. I mean, it's insane. But in my mind what I think happened because we shot eighteen episodes season three and eighteen episode season four.
Speaker 2: Do we really? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can you believe?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah? I believe that wow.
Speaker 1: And that is also when we started getting nominated for things, so it became a year round situation, got it, which is what I remember, which, of course I was thrilled, right, right, but also like what do I wear my head cut off? Right? But in my mind, I think I conflated them into one because a lot of the storylines. It's when we really invest in the long term storyline. Got it, got we double down on it, right, Yeah, and we become more brave in terms of like my motherboard myself, grief has suddenly entered the picture, you know, not just a breakup but actual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as kind of life altering exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: We're really, in my mind like understanding that we can do those things and trying them, you know, and succeeding so beautifully, which is amazing. But it's I think part of the reason I don't remember it is because it was personally so kind of overwhelming, right, like the success. Do you remember when we first got nominated for an Emmy?
Speaker 2: I could pretend I have more detailed memories. Here's what I do remember about all of it or awards, is that Amy Harris always knew everything. Like Amy Harris was, you know, somehow from New York City, embedded in trade information, and she always came to me the night before nominations and I was always like, oh, Amy, I didn't know about this. Why did you tell me? I don't want to know about this? I don't I would say I didn't care because it, you know, would potentially be too painful to care and if we'd been not considered previously, we were just fine, I meaning total, not like we're just fine, meaning like, well, I don't we expected no, And I think the kind of there was a kind of a rub that you know, we were these out of town ers, we weren't really part of a television industry, that we weren't playing the game, yeah, or that we just hadn't kind of like been part of a courtship that's more traditional. And even if that hurts your feelings for a minute, I don't think it, you know, kind of was long term damage. So it was better to stay distant and circumspect. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really healthy attitude. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's like just the only way to survive and not feel crappy if your industry says, right, we're not considering new people of course in New York City, and there were so many other wonderful things about being part of our show that you know, we're really sustenance. So if it hurts for a minute, that's all right, right, Right, If you break something that's like super important to you or lose something, my way out of it typically is and I'm not talking about people losing people. I'm talking about like a thing like a nomination or but in this case, you know, an important necklace, and I would tell my I just tell myself, I didn't know about that thing four weeks ago or three years ago. It wasn't in my life, right, I didn't need it, want it, count on it, look at it, hold it where it's melody. Yes, So a nomination. I sort of felt the same way if if I felt that there was disappointment, that Michael was disappointed or anybody else, I would feel it. But then I think I didn't even know about this stuff three years ago, or I didn't know about this stuff forty eight hours ago before Amy. Here is my nominations are coming out, definitely, And if anyone ever asked me about it campaign, it's like, please don't ask me about a campaign. Please don't show me pictures for a campaign. I don't want to know about it. For all, we're not going to get anything. So that's how do it on your own, you want to do it.
Speaker 1: But also it didn't actually and I think this is important to even say now, in the way that the world operates, it doesn't actually affect the work that we were doing one way or the other. Right, It's not like because we won an Emmy, which we did, which we never thought we do. We did. The show won an Emmy first year, but no, but you, I thought you meant year. But she doesn't even know it is adorable.
Speaker 2: God, let me just clarify that the first year we were nominated, we did not win.
Speaker 1: I am light slightly unclear. So this is what we wouldn't when you were dominated and you won, okay, previous to the show being nominated and then the show. Sure, I think you were not there because it was a semi Emmys, because it was two thousand and one. Kim and I were there alone.
Speaker 2: No, wait, what year in two thousand and one? Was it? What part of the summer?
Speaker 1: It was the semi because I I was.
Speaker 2: Pregnant and I couldn't travel for one. And I think it wasn't that one. Okay, So wasn't that one.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that one. So remember nine to eleven happened. We're going to discuss the show's reaction and whatnot, and then we were supposed to have the Emmys like right after. I remember that I had had a photo shoot on September tenth, so I'd pushed my flight to September eleventh, Yes, I remember well, yes, And I had two vintage or Veilersaire original bandage dresses in my suitcase that I was supposed to decide between for the Emmys.
Speaker 2: Were you going to check that luggage?
Speaker 1: It was checked. It was checked because I was going home. I was a season, right, so I had a lot of stuff. I had my golden retriever CALLI right. Yes, so we were all on that plane. I got Cali out of the underneath, can get the bags. I was really stressed about those original dresses late later, obviously not on the day. Did eventually get them back, thank god, and no one was upset with me, which was really nice. So then because of the war in Iraq, we had pushed the Emmys back right, and some people felt we shouldn't even have them at all.
Speaker 2: I remember some controversy around.
Speaker 1: And I want short dress, did you? That's why I call it the semi Emmys. I was like, it feels weird to get in the midst glam. And what I do kind of someone understand now is that you know that is enjoyment for people. People enjoy us getting dressed, going trying to celebrate things, right, Yeah, so, but at the time I don't I don't know that we felt that and we were all still just trying to recover our bearings, you know, from this situation. But that's why you don't really remember that one.
Speaker 2: Because only you and Kim went correct.
Speaker 1: God, is okay your Loane in our short Michael Patrick there, I don't think so, he's not the pictures. I have to ask him when I see him.
Speaker 2: And that and we won.
Speaker 1: Yes, the show won an Emmy for writing for the whole show. This is the give an award for the whole show.
Speaker 2: Sarah.
Speaker 1: You're making me.
Speaker 2: So happy right now because you're this. I really don't know.
Speaker 1: I know, I know everyone's is not feinting. This Okay, this okay, We're just going to show you pictures. This is how you're gonna remember. This is the year two thousand when you want a golden globe.
Speaker 2: I remember that dress? Yes?
Speaker 1: You remember who made it?
Speaker 2: Richard Tyler. Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you want to know why I remember?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: No, I also wore Richard Tyler.
Speaker 2: Do we both?
Speaker 1: We both wore Richard Tyler. I just know I don't think I knew you were wearing Richard Tyler, though, I think you told me to look up Richard Tayler because he was in LA. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right. He was in both New York and Los Angeles. That's right. Yeah, that's right. And he was a melo. Yes, yes, he had a shop.
Speaker 1: Think about it. Every time I drive by, it's not there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I had not had a stylist at that point. I didn't really don't know if.
Speaker 2: I had a stylist at that point.
Speaker 1: I feel like you might have had the rein, but I'm not sure. Maybe not yet, I don't think so, Okay, got it, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I went over there to the shop, and the window of the shop was a beautiful red dress on the mannequin, and I was like, cord, I just wear that. They were like, uh, someone else could be wearying. I was like, okay, you know, I never cared about that, right, And also like I didn't really understand what the Golden Globes was fundamentally, right, So I was just like, I don't know, so I wear this red dress. I do, in fact, run into a woman wearing the identical dress at the Golden Globes. She was very nice about it. She was possibly an executive's wife or something, you know, And I'm saying because she just went to women with taste, Yeah, yeah, definitely, but you know it was there to die, right, and I loved it. But it rained that day, and my hair's all frizzy.
Speaker 2: Wow, and like.
Speaker 1: The I don't have the group picture of us, but Michael's got the curls.
Speaker 2: Jim crochy. Yes, I used to call them Jim crochy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I remember when we remember how the film people would be at the lower level at the Oh you're reminded me, Yes, you remember, and.
Speaker 2: We could wash them back exactly if you've had a.
Speaker 1: Good view everyone we were.
Speaker 2: If this stage was in front of us, I think we were back on the right. Yes, we're back on the right, like audience right.
Speaker 1: That was our spot. Yeah, they would get our spot almost every year. It was fun times. But then when they call her name and we're just like what and we have to get up. We have to make it all the way down there, right, Why they.
Speaker 2: Voted for us? They must so nice, Jessica, they were really We.
Speaker 1: Just saw that lady when you got your your she's so lovely, right, like there are our biggest fans. It was incredible, incredible, And I remember having to go all the way down and I speaking from people, we.
Speaker 2: And our faces.
Speaker 1: Spoke to Darren Saren, Yes, Darren, and Michael Patrick's behind him with girls and we're all just like, we're all just like what we're up here. We're just like so like deer in the headlights. And my biggest memory of the whole thing, other than just the shock value, was Julianne Moore is sitting down in the film section and she is clapping like it's literally the best thing that's ever happened to her, but she's like levitating off her chair. It was like Julianne mourners from shore. And that was my first kind of introduction to the warmth that can be in our business, you know, like the support and the warmth from other people that you admire. It was so nice.
Speaker 2: That's really nice. That's a nice memory. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then the next day my memories continue. The next day, I went to return the dress that I had borrowed from the window, and when I walked in it was a pretty small store, like a pretty intimate store. I smell your fragrance because you had been nervous and you had spray.
Speaker 2: That's even when I'm not nervous.
Speaker 1: This is y she does. And this is before you had an official frigus. Yes, when you're mixing your yess, I had returned the dress. Yes, you had returned the dress.
Speaker 2: And it'd be good and punctual. Yes.
Speaker 1: Right, you taught me that it's.
Speaker 2: The it's the it's the honor system from the library. Yes, if you bring the book back, you get another exactly if you bring the dress back, Yes, they might let you borrow another one.
Speaker 1: Yes, you were saying in decent condition.
Speaker 2: With the exception of fragrance. Right.
Speaker 1: It was a beautiful fragrance.
Speaker 2: I mean the whole story.
Speaker 1: I thought you were literally in the store. I was like, you start just in the back, and they're like, no, no, no, she just returned the dress and I was like, oh, it's her fragrance. And little did I know you were going to have this whole amazing fragrance like and now you have another one. This is what I want to discuss.
Speaker 2: Oh God, this is our like our fourteenth fragrance, is it? Oh, it's all birth from lovely got it? I Mean there have been some outside the house that don't a lot, meaning they're not they aren't children of Lovely, but this is the new one are kind of they're kind of almost standalones. The bottle shape is different, although there are there are design elements that mimic the cap of Lovely, so they're ribbed like the cap, the original cap of Lovely, and they have the grow grain of stripe, which is not to my mother, which was my also my shoes, so they are pieces and elements, and they're sort of triplets versus a singular.
Speaker 1: Got it. They related to each other.
Speaker 2: Only in packaging, not in juice, got it? So the sense are all entirely different. Wow, and actually there's four. I said three, but there's four. Oh there's three, Okay, I'm not mad. Okay, So the juices the fragrance don't have anything to do with one another, just the packaging.
Speaker 1: Got it of them? Am I going to be like, Oh, yes.
Speaker 2: They're not they're not going to feel reminiscent of Lovely, Okay, But they're great, They're they're much they're much less polite. You know, Lovely is like a very yes, it's kind of light, polite, very man like. It has very extremely good manners. You know, lovel is welcome. You know, I say it, and these are they have it. They have nice, strong personalities, they're more fun, they're more contemporary. Am I describing it? What would you say? Yeah? Like even the boldness of each bottle is like a bold color. The bottles are unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a picture on the Instagram.
Speaker 2: They are amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I wanted to hear.
Speaker 2: In each side of those really kind of bold graph there's like something really graphic. The fragrances are are really they're great.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: And then we have another one coming out after that.
Speaker 1: That's really good, I know, the fragrance. Yes, or your whole Now it's lovely. It's another lovely child.
Speaker 2: God at this point, great great, great great grandchild, got it. I think what you're now twenty incredible, our twenty first year. That's great, you know, it's funny. Lovely is twenty one years old? Almost?
Speaker 1: Wow? Your your first child?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Wait, how old is Jane?
Speaker 2: Well no, not my first child, but yeah, it's like, wait, first fragrance.
Speaker 1: I know, see they're frozen in my mind. I know I didn't say actual ages. Let's just leave them terrifying right as young Teddler's totally totally yes, yes when you think about So, we were talking a little bit about the trajectory of your producing right which I love the origin of it. I didn't know that origin story, and I feel like you stepped into it with such grace and the way that you were able to combine caring for the crew with the choices. I also remember that, like in the wee hours, you know, Melfie would come up to you. We'd be sitting in our chairs and he started talking to you about the next day, and I would just be like, oh god, I don't even know if I no listen, but you know, the all the different details that you had to take into consideration about the call and this call and that call and your call, and you know, you'd force your call and I would just be like, oh my god, she's so strong, Oh my god, how are we all going to do it?
Speaker 2: And we did.
Speaker 1: We found a way. We found a way, which was amazing. Sarah, Jessica. We could talk forever, as you know, So let's take a little break here and you guys, we will be back for another episode of Are You a Charlotte