Speaker 1: W w E.
Speaker 2: World, Please welcome to the stage. The hosts of Nightcap.
Speaker 1: Three times Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Champ and NFL Hall of Famer Shennan Shark and Bengals rend the Fame hontery, Chad O Cho Singo Johnson.
Speaker 3: What's up w w E? He gonna sit there? No, you see here, you sit that he gonna sit in the middle.
Speaker 4: How y'all doing, y'all good?
Speaker 5: That's what's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: This is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: This is my first time being here, O, Joe and Uh as a wrestling fan my entire life. If somebody would have told me this is what wrestling was coming, was going to become, I wouldn't have believed it.
Speaker 6: No, this is dope. Atmosphere has been awesome. The fans have been awesome. Being able to meet some of the rasters.
Speaker 5: That's what's the best part about this.
Speaker 6: And here hearing their journey and how they got here to what most cans were considered the finished product on why we're all fans of them has been really dope to experience.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable. It's an unbelievable experience. I mean, they do an unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Job of the.
Speaker 3: Seven time World Champion, the WWE twenty seven Mania appearances, He's twenty five and two, he has twenty one straight WrestleMania victories.
Speaker 5: Harry is Undertaker, but we know him as Taker.
Speaker 1: What's upup?
Speaker 5: Man? Taker?
Speaker 3: You were in your your hold on twenty five and two, So you've been to twenty seven of these things, twenty one straight victories from the very first one till now. What is the biggest difference that you think in WrestleMania when you started as opposed to what it bills now?
Speaker 1: Man? Just the uh, just the spectacle. I mean, look out here. You look at all of these people.
Speaker 5: It's unbelievable. Man, it's electric.
Speaker 1: This this when I when I started at WrestleMania's seven, this did not this did not happen. This access, the the ability to come and and and meet superstars, take pictures. It was at a much more limited scale. Right, Just this part alone is just it blows me away. Every year when I come and do an autograph signing or pictures signing, it's incredible.
Speaker 5: It seems like it's getting bigger and bigger.
Speaker 3: And I think the thing is that I love most about what WWE has done is that it allowed the fans to have access. It gives you an opportunity to show your personality just outside of the ring, and it get an opportunity to meet you guys, because I don't know how much meet and greet you guys had when you first started this.
Speaker 1: Not very many. You know. We we got here and just kind of focused on well, most guys focused on on their magic match early on. You know, I focused on a lot of things. They didn't necessarily have the fans involved. But as we again, as we grew, man this became this is almost as important as Rustleania. Yes, you know, I mean this is this is an incredible opportunity for people to get really close to, you know, the people that they support.
Speaker 5: Help me understand this.
Speaker 3: You come, you create a character, you in the WWE creator character, How did they help you develop that character? How did you embrace that characters that Okay, I'm the Undertaker. This is what I need because when you think of Undertaker, you think all black, you think of a mortician, and you.
Speaker 5: Think of something cold and sinister.
Speaker 3: How did they help you to develop that character and how did you embrace it so well?
Speaker 1: I think it varies between talent and talent okay. For for me, I was presented, I was presented a look in the name. Okay, see this, this is what we think is. You know, they needed somebody big with zero personality, and there I walked through the door.
Speaker 5: But for me, once once I was.
Speaker 1: Given the the initial image and then told me, you know, okay, this is going to be based off of an old Western undertaker, and then the license kind of kind of started going off for me, So there isn't a real set pattern like some like. For me, I took the ball and started ran with it and started running with it and figuring this thing out. Uh there. You know, some guys come in and they're like, I don't know, so they need a little bit more help and direction, and you know you have other guys that have already been here that kind of there's a it's amazing the amount of input that you get from from other wrestlers right that you know they're they're driving up and down the roads back then and say, I'll give you I'll give you an example. You know, I heard there was a time there where I carried people after I beat them, I put them in body bags right right, And everybody think that's just some sinister shit right, and of all people to give me that idea was the nicest guy in the world, which was really key Steamboat the Dragon. Yeah, he came up and he says, he goes, hey, you ever thought about this? And I was like, that's that's genius. So you know, uh, some guys they need help and and and that development. And then other guys just take that ball and you know, they just kind of go down that rabbit hole and figure out, Okay, how am I going to make this my own? And that's the key to being success successful. You can you can have the greatest idea, the greatest look, but if you don't make it your own, these people are here, they're not going to buy it, right, and they're not going to invest in it.
Speaker 5: So you know, that's the key.
Speaker 6: When you when you look at when you look at the state of Wrastlings as great as it is now as as a product in general internationally globally, has your perspective change from a business aspect now that you're on the creative side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you you you always want to have your your your thumb on on what it is that's that's reaching your you know, and that becomes it becomes difficult. Like when you do get behind the scenes, you have to remember that you're not necessarily you know, you're not necessarily creating for yourself anymore, correct, So you're you're creating for the masses. So you have to not only be able to take Okay, well this is what I like. Okay, well that might be great, but that's only going to affect like twenty percent of.
Speaker 5: These people, right.
Speaker 1: You have to be able to get your fingers out there and make it a net and get that get everybody what everybody wants to enjoy. So it's a pretty difficult process to do.
Speaker 3: Three or six foot under podcast that platform. How has that allowed you to engage with your fan base on a different level than say, you know, you go and you know doing something like this, because they get an opportunity to see you in a totally different light than what they've ever seen you before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's taken me a while to embrace that because I was for so long, uh you know, I protected my character, right, there was nothing there was Undertaker, and there was nothing else.
Speaker 5: That's all that anybody ever.
Speaker 1: Got to see. And I think that that contributed to the success of it. But I think with the with with with the with the podcast and getting out there and hearing some of the stories that I've you know that I've that I've had with some of the guys, and if truth be told, I don't I don't like talking about wrestling.
Speaker 5: You like talking for what are you fishing? Hunting?
Speaker 1: What do you want to know?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 1: That's good, okay, But as far as like with the podcast, Like the best podcast episodes are when I got with my boys and we're talking about what we did after wrestling, right, Like, that's that's what everybody wants to You can go on YouTube and watch all the wrestling matches you want, But what happened with me and the Godfather in a bar down the street? You know, That's that's kind of what I think kind of peaks this. These people's you know, they're their interests. Now they can they get plenty of wrestling. They want to, they want the juice.
Speaker 3: As a older wrestler that doesn't do it anymore. You adopted that you're helping and bringing along this generation of wrestlers.
Speaker 5: Uh oho.
Speaker 3: And now we played football and a lot of times we try to give back, We try to mentor the younger guys and try to tell them what to expect, how to go about their business. Be professional, be yourself, but be professional. Just remember one thing. The football team is a team. It's not always gonna be about you. What is for the best interest of the football team and how can we all win, not just you?
Speaker 5: Is that something some things that you try to share with these generations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, because as a talent, if you're fortunate enough to get on that wheel and then have that run right, Yes, And when I say run, something that's going on with with like Roman Reigns right now, he's on an incredible run. Yes, Cody Rose, all these guys are on a run. But it's not it's not necessarily always gonna be like that. If you're always always use it as now the wheel right, so you're here, that wheel's moving right. So there's a good chance, not necessarily all the time, but there's a good chance that it's gonna end up down here, right, And you have to be able to One you have to figure out, Okay, what do I need to do to get back up there? And two, while I'm on my way, how can I help the product? How can I help the product? Because if the product gets better, that's gonna give everybody more opportunities.
Speaker 5: So you just you gotta, you gotta roll with it.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 5: You can never be content in this business.
Speaker 1: As soon as you're content, you're done, because there's always somebody coming along that's younger, faster, stronger, and more hungry. But as as as veterans, you have to you said, all right, okay.
Speaker 3: It's my time now, I'm gonna embrace it, but knowing that it might be someone else's time later, let me help them. And then when my time come back again, I'll be ready to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's that's the hard part is when that climb up, man, that climb up is awesome, yeah, because you feel it right, you know it, and then you get there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And for you guys like you get that ring right.
Speaker 5: You're trying to stay there as long as you pop.
Speaker 1: Me, you scratch your flaw and you hang on to it. So yeah, it's important for the veterans to help those guys.
Speaker 6: And you know, being a veteran helping some of the young fighters now that are up and coming, you know, giving them the knowledge on what it takes to be great, what it takes to be consistent, having that structure, having that discipline. Everyone here is a fan of rassling. Everyone here has a pacific raster that they like and enjoy watching today.
Speaker 4: So for you, in today's.
Speaker 6: Rastling landscape, who is your favorite raster to watch?
Speaker 1: Oh man, I tell you, because because he's such an old school guy, I probably won't won't be received real well, but I love Gunther Okay, okay, I do. Absolutely. There's there's there's no flash.
Speaker 5: There's no flash.
Speaker 1: What you get is somebody going to there and he's gonna stomp your guts out. He's gonna chop you up, he's gonna beat you up, and you know, he flying around doing a bunch of silly stuff. He's in there and you I mean, he's just a serious character, and he's a throwback. He's a throwback to a different generation and it and it just lets you know that you know, old, what what is old can be new again.
Speaker 3: Is there anybody that in today's wrestling reminds you of Takr?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, uh no, not really. I mean, you know there was unfore, you know, there was Bray Bray Wyatt was coming along before he you know, before his unfortunate you know, demise of it, but it uh, you know, he he had that that aura, that that kind of other worldly type character, and I you know, it's obviously it's a shame what happened with with Bray because I think he had only begin to scratch the surface of how great he was going to be.
Speaker 5: You've taken it behind the scenes role.
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistaken with Triple A, which is, if I'm not mistaken, w w E purchased it. So so what what is your role entails which would Triple A?
Speaker 1: Uh So, I don't really I don't talk about it a whole lot, but I'm down there in a in a creative role, got an incredible team down there, and we are trying. Uh you know, Lucha libre is a is a wrestling style all to itself. Yes, and kind of going back to my last comment about old school and yes, like like like Gunther, it's kind of crazy that somebody like me is in it's doing creative for a Louta libre product, right, because those guys are incredible. They I mean, they will fly and do things like you just like, how in the world do they do that?
Speaker 5: But you know, we're just what we're.
Speaker 1: Trying to do down there and be involved is.
Speaker 5: To tell better stories, yes, be a little more.
Speaker 1: Physical and be true to to lout your libre and that's that's uh. And give them some a better production value. They've been doing things for a long time down there in a very simplistic way. So now we have that ww production machine that we're implementing. You know, we we We've got a long way to go, but I'm I couldn't be more happy with I couldn't be more happy with the success that we've had so far. We're again, we're just I tell people this all the time. What we're trying to do there is I'm trying to take a step back, like a little bit of a step back in wrestling, to take a step forward and a little bit of old school mixed with the new school. Hopefully we're going to have a very unique and interesting product that not only people in Mexico want to see, but all over the world.
Speaker 5: Assess it was.
Speaker 3: It's interesting to me because when I grew up, I didn't know anything about storylines. I just thought two guys getting the ring and beat hell out of each other. But there are storylines? Does it? How long is a storyline. Is it just for that match or two matches or are they trying to build something for say a month, two month, three months?
Speaker 5: How did this work? It's up to them. Oh, it's like you can. You can.
Speaker 1: You can have this brilliant idea in your mind and like, oh, man, I want to see I want to see wrestler A fight wrestler B. And you think this is going to be the greatest thing ever. And then you kind of start looking at when like, I would love to get this match all the way to WrestleMania. But then you you put it out there and sometimes it ain't as good. It's just like a it's just like a play call right, walk practice It works right, yes, but it's the same thing. Like but again, if your audience doesn't resonate or they don't get with it, then you know it's uh, I call it pissing up a rope. You ain't gonna get nothing but your hands wet.
Speaker 5: That's you know what.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you said that.
Speaker 6: And obviously it's all about the fans obviously knowing and understanding what they want, always being two steps ahead, especially when it comes to creativity and storyline. When it comes to those that wrestle. It comes to those that have creative control on what the storylines are gonna be. Do you pay attention to what the fans say and what they want?
Speaker 5: Well, you you do.
Speaker 1: There's there's a lot. There's there's a lot that goes into that. Yeah, because obviously they're not in the know of what the big the big picture is. And sometimes people get impatient and don't want to they don't want to wait right and and and that's part of the storytelling aspect. But you have to be able to have these beats in the story that keep them like, oh, okay, I want to captivate it. I want to see like every you know, back in the day and and you know, in the in the in the Monday night war like everybody was like we would go off with a cliffhanger and everybody like and we didn't have so we didn't have as much cover. You know, you couldn't just go to YouTube or whatever it up. You had to wait. You had to wait till the next Monday Night to see what was going to happen. So you know. So yeah, So so to answer your question, I mean you had to have you have to have good creative and it has to it has to resonate to a certain extent with your audience and you have to listen. But you can't let it dictate either, right, That's I think that's kind of a problem if you if if it solely dictates on that, then you you get you lose focus of what it is you're.
Speaker 5: Trying to do.
Speaker 3: Agents now revealed and uh recently that you gave him the gloves in your final match, the boneyard match during the pandemic.
Speaker 5: How did that come about?
Speaker 3: Because I guess in wrestling, like when you're done with it, you leave your boots in the sun of the ring, and so you knew this was this, This was it for Taker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no coming back from the boneyard. Wouldn't lose draw that that was That was definitely it for me. I got everything out of the sponge that I could possibly get. I wrung it up. So, you know, I always my WrestleMania opponents. I've just always you know, when the street came into play, and then just my part as WrestleMania, I always wanted to leave my my opponents was something that they were gonna remember that with. So at the conclusion, of the boneyard. People say, I'm crazy for it, but I took my the I gave the gloves that I wore in that match to to AJ styles and and he has them. He has AJ has the last pair of gloves that I ever that I ever used. So yeah, and and it and it means the world to him, and it was cool, and he said, and he gave me his. So I have his gloves that he you know, he fought in and he's got mine.
Speaker 5: And it's kind of a cool deal.
Speaker 1: I can look up on the shelf and like, you know what we tore We tore it up that night.
Speaker 3: So you knew going into that match plus twenty plus, two decades plus, you know, Yeah, this is it for me. This is the ride stops here, whether whether they wanted to stop or not. I'm getting off this ride. Yeah, your body beat up, Oh my gosh, Yeah, my body was beat up ten years prior.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it actually the the at that night in the boneyard, like I was, I was looking for one particular match that I could hang my hat on and walk away, like I could put my six shooters up and and and go home and stay. And it just happened. You know that that match was was filmed all it was. It started at about eight o'clock at night, and we finished that match at sometime at like five in the morning. And it was at about three in the morning when I'm I'm I was standing there and I was like this. I had a moment and I was like, I'm done right, Like there is no this is it. And it was a moment of clarity. And it wasn't any sorrow. There wasn't any like, man, I should I wish I'd got to do this. It was as clear as day. I knew that I'd got everything. The desire was still there, right, but I knew my body could not It just couldn't deliver. And I didn't want to live on equity that I'd built through the next you know, the last thirty years. You know, this is a very gracious audience, but there's at a point you got to decide, like my legacy becomes involved in this and and I was already skirting that, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Was They deserve the best taker.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I would hate it always. It always would kill me to know, like a father like and I had a lot of them today in my in my in my signing today and my photos with their with their kids, and they had watched me as a kid and they hype me up, like to their kids, like, man, we're going to see the Undertaker. He is so awesome, right, and then you get there and you're like, oh, oh, he ain't quite what I remember, right. But so just just the thought of that it bothered me, and I just did. I didn't want to. I didn't want to end up in that. I didn't want to be a character or you know, of my former self. So I knew it was time. And you know, I got back. I got no regrets, and I got no no, no, no, no regrets, no worries, And it was a moment of clarity and uh, I got I got to leave with the match that I wanted.
Speaker 4: Have you found something else to feel that?
Speaker 1: Boy?
Speaker 6: Think about as long as you've been wrestling, that's something that you, uh, that's you. You get up, You forced to want to work. It gives you inspiration, it gives you motivation. Like un uncle and I, football was all we had. That was my identity, It's all I knew. So every single day that's what I wanted to do. And I loved it. What has filled that void now that you stop rasting that you can't wait to get up for it and you're excited for once again.
Speaker 5: I don't know that I have like just one thing.
Speaker 1: When you're focused, like when you to play in the NFL, you have to you have to. People just don't understand the amount that goes into that, Like they say, oh, well, man, you know there's o Jo Sinko on the sideline with this Hall of Fame jacket on, you know, cutting up. Yeah, you don't just do that by by chance.
Speaker 5: You have to be great, yes, to be able to do those things.
Speaker 1: But what people don't see are you in June in July with your you know, where your boys going and working out in the in the heat, and all the effort and the work that goes into all that.
Speaker 5: So you know it.
Speaker 1: Is it does become your identity and everything, everything that you do is revolved around not only being on a team, but starting being great, winning super Bowls and the same thing. It's the same thing for my whole identity was involved was just being the undertaker. And I don't know that I you know, hindsight, being twenty two, I didn't I don't know that I built an exit strategy. I thought I was going to do it forever. Yes, like you know you're not, but just in your head you don't think about it. I said I'm gonna I'll do this forever, and then forever got here one day. So it took me a minute to to like, Okay, well now what you know? And I love like I mean, I love hunting, fishing and doing all that. But you know, you guys do a great job. I like podcasting. I don't know that it's it.
Speaker 5: I have my moments. It's a lot of work. It is a lot of work.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of work, and you know, I don't know that i'll ever I don't know that i'll ever have and love that that thing that gets me going.
Speaker 3: The podcast for wrestling, you said something very interesting in that. Do you know people see us play the game, or play basketball, play baseball, everybody sees the destination. Nobody saw the journey. So that's that's the that's the hard part. The destination is is okay, yeah I'm here. How did how did he or she get there? That's the That's the very interesting part I heard you say on the podcast is that you. Uh, and maybe I'm paraphrasing, maybe I've misheard you, but you said, man, I wish we wouldn't tell all the secrets of how the sausage is made.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm guilty of it too. I believe you know. Every everything is over, everything's talked about openly now, and I'm again I'm as guilty as anybody about it. But I think as a whole, for the sake of the for the business, there needs to be a look, there needs to be a stopping point, a little secrecy.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 1: I don't think you were like, I don't know. I just I could be wrong there. And and you know, in my day, obviously I came in the generation where you don't talk about the business outside of you just don't do it. People into business, yeah exactly, so obviously you know we're not. I just think they don't our audience, even though they think they might want to know.
Speaker 5: I think if there was a certain.
Speaker 1: Amount of secrecy being able to have that, I think it would be I think the product would be more fun. Yes, right, because if you already know what's going to happen, or if this is going to happen, then it's like Okay, I'm just gonna wait for that part to happen, right, Like that was a great thing about Monday Nights. Again in the Attitude era, you had no clue what was going to happen, and you just again you had to you had to wait. I think there's just a there needs to be a little bit more protection of the business. And I only use that word because I mean, that's just the words we've always used.
Speaker 5: Who revealed that secret?
Speaker 3: Because for the longest time, my grandfather would put you out if you told him wrestling was fake, He'd put you out of the house. You could not tell him what And I thought it was real too for the longest time. Who was the first person that appeal the layer back is like X Y and.
Speaker 1: Z Well, I don't I don't know that there was just one person that you know, there was There was the time period where where where Vince went and and and he had to we were having to fight athletic commissions and pay an exorbitant amount of money to these athletic commissions for what right, So I mean, I think, like everybody knows what wrestling is, but I don't think you want it thrown in your face, right and and it.
Speaker 5: And it's okay. Everybody say, oh, wrestling is fake.
Speaker 1: Wrestling is not fake. It is a form of sports entertainment, and it's a specific form of sports entertainment. What we do is genuinely real for what it is that we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, if I'm breaking bones, tearing my a cl and achilles, that's real.
Speaker 1: Yes, But I got I got twenty surgeries that say it's his damn as real as it needs to be.
Speaker 3: I remember the person I don't know if you remember this taking oho, you remember what I think it was. Fox had a series where they had this guy that was revealing all the magic tricks, and so you remember that, and it was like, if we knew, come on, But I'm just like I don't even want to know. I just after the first out, like I don't want to watch anymore because I still want to have the illusion exactly that he's doing something that nobody else can do.
Speaker 1: That is a perfect analogy, and it's the same the same thing with with with wrestling. I just I think it's just better if you know.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go to I don't want to know how the trick's done. I just don't. I want to be entertained. I want to think about how it's done, right. I just that's it. Just to me. It suspends everyone's sense of reality. And that's a that's a that's a brilliant analogy. It's really good.
Speaker 5: Is there a lot of father sons?
Speaker 3: Because we see in basketball father sons, we see football father sons, baseball father sons. Are there a lot of father sons in in in wrestling? Yes, there there is no Cody, I just no Cody.
Speaker 1: And yeah, no, there there there's there's plenty. And unfortunately, I've wrestled dads and now I've wrestled their sons.
Speaker 5: I've been around.
Speaker 1: I was, yeah, but yo, there's there's man, there's tons and there's more coming, right. I'm sure that seth and and Becky's kids will probably wrestle. Yeah, you got all the damn Samoans. You know they're sot. I have a daughter that's ate up with it.
Speaker 5: She yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's I think, yes, nepotism and in the wrestling world is gonna be uh Charlotte, Yeah, man, it's just yeah, yeah exactly. So, Yeah, it's a there's a long lineage of second generation, third general Randy Orton third generation.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Cody Rolls. I think he said dom Stereo. He thinks he's gonna be the next generational talent. He says his work ethic is unmatched. And we were talking to a lot We've talked to uh Naya and Lash and talking and even Charlotte said, you know, there are a lot of people just because you have the talent. You know, you're athletic, you can spend, you can jump and do all these things, that doesn't necessarily equate to you being a great wrestler.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now there's a lot of great athletes that try this and just scratch their head and are fuddled, like, I'm a world class athlete. Why can I not do this fake thing? There's so much to this. Yes, you do have to be athletic. Yes too, you have to have a different kind of mental toughness, and too you have to be able. Once again, you have to be able to connect. And just being a great athlete doesn't do it enough. I mean in football, basketball, there's a lot of guys absolutely that are just incredible, but for whatever reason, that team.
Speaker 5: Situation, it just it doesn't work out.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, and it's same goes with wrestling. There's a you have to have that thing that connects. There's a lot of guys that come along and you know, we kind of call them ham and eggers, their middle of the road guys. It's just because they can't they can't spark that extra interest and and and that's that's what makes wrestling so difficult, is to make to have people interested in what it is that you do.
Speaker 6: I mean, the funny thing when I think about it, just being a rastling fan over the years.
Speaker 4: It's an art.
Speaker 6: It's an art in itself, and everybody paints that picture differently. And when it comes to all the attributes and all the variables that makes a great wrestler, everybody doesn't have it. Sometimes there's an it factor. Like when it comes to football, you can look at somebody just based off looking at him and say, you know what he had to it actor he passes the eye test. But when it comes to playing a position of tight end or whether it's receiver, when it's time to get out there and the lights are.
Speaker 4: On, they don't show up. It's different. It's a different ball game.
Speaker 1: It is the same, it's the same in the in the wrestling world. Yeah, it's just some people. Some people have it and some don't. Man, And it's uh and it's crazy. Like you know, we were talking earlier about mentoring and all that different thing, and what's so crazy for a young wrestler, Like they'll come up to you and like, hey, take you know, I got this match with so and so. What will you watch my match and you know, give me some feedback And I'm like, yeah, absolutely, And then you'll also see him going like I think Sean Michaels is somewhere here right, So now he's got an Undertaker watching, He's got Shawn Michael's watching.
Speaker 5: You got maybe he's got Triple H watching.
Speaker 1: Now we're all three gonna watch that match, and we're all three gonna give.
Speaker 5: You different price.
Speaker 1: And it's all right, right, it's all different you because you have to figure out what works for you, right, and what worked for me may not work for you.
Speaker 5: It ain't working for Sean Michael, Sean Mae exactly.
Speaker 1: And that is what makes it's so difficult to be a top guy for WWE, because it's just it's just you got to have something that's different and that resonates again with your audience.
Speaker 5: But when you look at it, the promo is very important.
Speaker 3: You look at a guy like a Rick Flair, you look at a guy like a Dusty Roll, you look at a rock, you look at a stone cold. They can hold this microphone, look into that camera and convince millions and millions of people to tune in and watch me kick somebody. But you use like, Hey, I'm not supposed to have a personality. I'm a knight. I'm an I'm an old school Western undertaker. I just come in. I just Hey, this is the body that I delivered to you. Hey, that's it, That's all I had. How is it that some guys just have that god given ability? Hope, you and now we were best with the God's giving a bil to just be able to talk. Some people can work at it and get good at it. I think Muhammad al Lead, Rest your soul, he just had that god given ability that was just born in him. How do guys get if you're not as gifted as some How do you get better at it? Do you have to like practice like you do like football and basketball? Do you have to practice and practice until you get good at it?
Speaker 1: For reps, reps, reps. Man, I mean, how many how many routes have you got? You got somebody, how many routes have you run? And how many times if you figure out how to make that route bet better? It's the same thing. It's standing in front of a mirror. Standing in front of a mirror, Well, let me tell you something, brother, Yeah you know somebody might be doing that. Let me you know, it's yeah, I mean it just it's just time and time again until you figure out to one that you're so comfortable, you know, like somebody, I would have somebody come into the room and just throw something random out and then this is the way even before undertakers like this skip come give me a random topic and then try to riff on it and make it like oh yeah, that's that's normal. Like I can't I can't even come up with really an example, but just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks. Getting to a point where if you do get stuck, how to just be into your way through it. And you know, again that's that's the hardest part. If I was, that's probably for me, like the biggest key. If I can give you a mic and you can go out there and you can captivate your audience. I can teach you to wrestle. I can teach you well enough. There's been great guys that drew a lot of money that could barely tie their shoes and it's not trip but put a microphone in their hand. Yes, Oh my god, Like I want I want to see that guy fight.
Speaker 5: I want to see what he's going to do that other guy? Is that all? Is that all a part of it? Also? So when you go to NXT or to come see you guys, is that all a part of it? Is just not ring work?
Speaker 3: Obviously you have to get in front of the camera and do other things and things of that nature. So is that a part of the schooling process that you have to go through and not just ring and how to come up for a rope or drive off a turnbuckle or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the actual n ring stuff is probably the easiest part. Okay. I mean, obviously there's there's guys that are so gifted that can do incredible moves and all that, but that to me watching somebody who's going to be great. The wrestling part of it is that's simple having this and being able to again keep them on me.
Speaker 5: After then Yep, that is the gift, right that.
Speaker 1: I mean, There's been a million guys like I'll tell you Rock. For instance, when Rod debuted in Madison Square Garden, I looked at you know, he's a you know he's a second general, third generation as well.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: And I remember him coming out and he had that ridiculous thing around him and he was right, He's gonna be right, and I think it was it was Godfather. I was like, oh, this guy who he ain't gonna make it man, and uh.
Speaker 5: I missed, I missed.
Speaker 1: But somewhere in that time period he he got a hold of the mike and then he separated himself. Like wow, this guy is really talented. But you have to yeah. I mean, if you can do it with the mic and you can make people, you got to you got to make people who love you, You got to make them hate you between and it doesn't matter. And I could care less. You can love him and you hate me, but you have to have a feeling. If you don't, if you don't feel, you're you're you're wasting your time.
Speaker 3: How do they determine whether it gonna be good or the heel, or do you determine that? How how'd that go? How did that happen? And then how did that flip?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of times it's it's kind of trial and error. You know. Some people like, oh, this guy looks you know, he looks like this, or he looks like that, and you kind of got you get kind of stereotyped into a role, and then you know, I get it's it's trial and error, Like, Okay, maybe he's not a you know, maybe he in a maybe he isn't a bad guy. So let's see what his tendencies are. And everybody usually has some type of tendency you pick up on really really quick, like, you know, he didn't like losing, he didn't like doing that. He's a babyface. He's a good guy.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: And this guy he'll he'll you know, he'll put his thumb in your eyeball. This guy he's a little more edgy. So again and again, I remember back in the day when the Honky talk Man came in and they built Honky talk Man up like he was you know, he was going to be the biggest good guy that ever came down the pipe, and the audience absolutely just destroyed him. They could they they booed him so badly and he turned into an incredible, incredible, he'll under conn Hill champion. So again, a lot of it it relies on your audience, and that was not the plan. The plan was not to have, not for the honky talk man to be you know.
Speaker 5: He's supposed to be the good guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was going to be a good guy. And so you just have to Sometimes you can't fight it. You just got to go with it and make the most of it.
Speaker 3: Signature move how do you how do you get a signature move? I mean do you have to have a signature move? I mean some people have to figure four and some people have the sleeper hole or the.
Speaker 5: Pool Nelson Resky had to claw.
Speaker 3: How do you develop a signature move or do they say, okay, this is going to be your signature move.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of guys that come in and they've already kind of got a move set and things that they've been doing.
Speaker 5: One you're hopefully.
Speaker 1: You're fortunate enough to be in a situation where you have to finishing right.
Speaker 5: You come in and they don't care.
Speaker 1: Well you you're gonna be in trouble. So yeah, so you then you want to you gotta have something that kind of resonates with your with your character, right like obviously mine being the tombstone, right. You know, in my head envisioned, well, this old this old Undertaker was picking up the tombstone and he was you know, he was planting it at the at the grave. So it made sense. But yeah, it's just one. You gotta do something different, you know, and think about all the wrestlers doing all these different You have to have something that that is different and catches people like, oh man, you know, it has that that wild factor to it.
Speaker 3: So of all the of all the WrestleManias, if I said, okay, Jake, or give me your your mount rushmore WrestleManias, the matches, who would you say, is your four the four best WrestleMania Out of here we are with four forty two, now your four best if you could, if you could recall.
Speaker 1: Twice?
Speaker 5: Uh and and I'm definitely not one to so.
Speaker 1: WrestleMania twenty five Undertaker first, Shawn Michaels. Okay, if if I if I was going to show a young kid that's coming up in the business, what our business is supposed to be about. It's that match.
Speaker 5: That's that's the one.
Speaker 1: It encapsulates athleticism, story, character, years of feuding. I think it encapsulated all of those things into one match. What another one? Uh what you know, Hogan and Andre, you know, I mean that was so significant.
Speaker 3: That was the past, that was the passing because uh Andre, really that was the he started. I remember Andre and Georgia Championship Wrestling. I remember seeing him in Savannah Civic Center and I saw him in by Dallia, Georgia. Back then a lot of times that you guys are I don't know if you were back way back then, Taker, but they was wrestling in high school gyms. They was wrestling really really small venues maybe one hundred people, maybe two hundred people would be if that many. And so he was like the old and here come Hogan.
Speaker 5: Right. And now, like I said, wrestling used to be very very regional.
Speaker 3: You had Georgia Championship Wrestling, you had Florida, you had mid Atlantic, you had the North Atlantic, you had the Midwest. And so now here was the combination and McMahon and what they were able to do now the w w FWWE now is that all this was merging together, and Andre the Giant was excuse me, Hogan was gonna be the guy, yes to move it forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that was the significance of their WrestleMania match. It was it was Andre moving aside because what you know, Andre was the first global superstar of a wrestling He went, he went from territory to territory, like he would be in this territory for a couple of days and then he would go.
Speaker 5: I mean, he was a global.
Speaker 1: Attraction, yes, and just incredible. And then again, so Vince has taken over and he's gone to cable television, and you know, Hogan was his guy. So a lot of people don't realize the significance of that match just for the sake of the industry, and Andre did. So that's why Andre did business. And because if Andre did want to, he didn't have to.
Speaker 3: You know what Hogan was uh and and Vince was saying, I think it was a documentary or something, and they were saying Andre could barely walk at that point in time.
Speaker 5: His body had had betrayed him.
Speaker 3: He's so big, he's five hundred pounds, he's some foot tall, and now all of a sudden his body has started to betray him.
Speaker 5: They brought him out.
Speaker 3: Of like a like a scaffolding her, drove him down to the ring and the guys getting the ring and they're going through it, and all of a sudden, he tells, he tells Hogan slam, which means okay, body slamming. Okay, now not a leg and and Hogan's like, already, okay, this is what he asked for. Boom boom, and the matches over.
Speaker 5: Yep, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize, like and I was talking to Lash and Nil yesterday's like sometimes you forget the sequence and you know, you guys and they're talking and you have a referee that has the producer now back then, but yes, you did so you so basically you had to memorize.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like an Easter speech. You had to memorize the Easter speech. Taker well sort of.
Speaker 1: So back in the day when when wrestling it was kind of at its purest art form, yes, it's everything was more ad libbed. Okay, right, okay, it was. It was kind of on the spot kind of a deal. Okay. Uh. TV came along and you had to hit brakes and the app live TV. So the product kind of changed then, but yeah, there there wasn't there wasn't anything really to remember back then. It was like whatever Andre wanted to do and uh and that was what and that was what Hogan was gonna do whatever Andre told him, and Andre knew that, like, you know, they were selling they were selling quality, not quantity. And when the times, you know, that's a that's a problem that you have to be able to. You have to know when to when to go sometimes when to go home. You can go out there like, well I got I got six more moves that I haven't done yet. You know, you don't need to get the whole, you know, the whole hit record in there. You just got to get the key points.
Speaker 3: Take a look. When I was a kid, wrestling came on once a week. It came on Saturday nights. It came on really really late. What's so hard for me to fathom is that it comes on you might you ever to see it three nights a week, and the fans are still craving it just like we did when it only came on once a week.
Speaker 5: And you get an opportunity to see and you see raw and you see.
Speaker 3: Smack Down, and you get these manias and and and it's just it's.
Speaker 5: Still the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy because the the amount of content that's out there is it's it's incredible.
Speaker 5: I I've always.
Speaker 1: And have for many years, like, man, are we over exposing ourselves? But that that comes from decisions. Yes, farther up to pay grade than what what what I'm doing? But you you have to again if you're not, you know, the crowds are full if you're not putting it out there and they want it, they want it, they want good, they want good wrestling.
Speaker 6: Now that I think about it too, being a wrestling fan for so long, watching it over the years, Uncle, myself, you being on the creative side, I want you to think about this now you have creative control. Uncle and I tag team partners. Who are we wrestling like right now? And we really want to make this We want to we want to make this come into fruition.
Speaker 4: Uncle and I want to wrestle.
Speaker 5: Okay, don't want to wrestle no one.
Speaker 4: Mass You want to live. We want to relive our childhood dream.
Speaker 3: I want to be Bobby brain Heenan. I want to be Paul Hayman. I want to be somebody like that you.
Speaker 5: Want to talk. You don't want to take no bump.
Speaker 1: I want to take you want to talk no bumps?
Speaker 7: Tag team? Who are you putting up against modern day? All right, now, that's what I'm saying. The tag teams are out there now. Hmmm, let me think. Let's see you got definitely definitely babyfaces.
Speaker 3: Right yeah, yeah, yeah, you we be good guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we gotta be the heels.
Speaker 1: See we already got we already got dissension. Don't wrestle one match, you're already going out of it. I think we're gonna book. We're gonna book one on one loser leave.
Speaker 4: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 5: I want to text. I want to bull a Texas bull rope match.
Speaker 1: No, you don't. Those are fun that bull Rube's reel, believe me.
Speaker 3: But there used to be a lot of matches, you know, Texas Death match, and you had a steel cage match, and you had you know, uh, wrap the hands up in all kind of you guys have kind of gotten the whip.
Speaker 5: Are they still steel cage matches?
Speaker 1: So we occasionally they'll do a stell cage. I think we have war games, and I guess it's kind of considered uh uh, you know, a cage match, but then you have You've got Hell in a cell and then you have what's the other one in February.
Speaker 5: Chamber, Yeah, Chamber Punchy. The bumps are real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so so we you know, we have those themed matches, yes, and occasionally something will happen through the course of a of a story line where you know, you'll lock them up and it's kind of it's a different vibe these days, but uh, you know that used to be. That used to be the uh be all the end all ye on the steel cage. Yeah, you know you're gonna get blood and you yeah, it's gonna be uh, you.
Speaker 3: Know, nobody could believe like Rick Flair, nobody could beletely like.
Speaker 1: Dusley Dusty Flair. Yeah, hey yeah those are those are probably two of the best bleeders Wildfire, Tommy Rich, Yeah, a good bleeder.
Speaker 5: The Fabulous free Birds. Do you do?
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistaken, I think Raymond Sterio might be the only one that steal words a mask. You know, back then they used to have a lot of guys Mister Wrestling Number one and two, the Super Destroyers.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: Uh uh uh yeah, I had had masks on you guys don't have guys with masks very much other than Mysterio, right you.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got we've got we've got Dragon Lee. Oh yeah, we got and hey, if you want mask guys, come down to Triple A.
Speaker 5: We got lots of mask brother, yes, yes, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know the thing with with wearing a mask, and a lot of people don't really think about this is.
Speaker 5: You can't see their face. You can't see their face.
Speaker 1: Right, that might have been the most silly thing that I've said, but.
Speaker 5: But when you watch something when when when.
Speaker 1: You watch wrestling, you kind of key in on the face. Yes, face, the face tells the whole story. Yes, the face tell you whether you're happy, where you're sad, whether you're you're pissed off, whether you're hurt, whether you're.
Speaker 5: Happy to see the other guy hurt.
Speaker 1: So you lose a lot of storytelling ability when you wear a mask, and that's a lot people. You know, people don't think about that.
Speaker 5: I used to love when they try to take the mask off in the ring.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, that's uh yeah, that's that's big business.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: South of Triple A. Man, you we got hey, we got a we got a huge mask coming up, a huge mask match coming up, Mask versus Mask. The El Grandees, You guys will
Speaker 5: Thank you, guys for much hair you The Undertaker,