Speaker 1: The volume. Hey, so we all make mistakes, but owning up to them is the right thing to do. So you know Degree cool Rush deodorant, right, Well, last year they changed the formula and it did not go over well with their fans. So Degrees the whole thing is it turns up the sweat and odor protection when you turn up the effort, and good thing it does, because cool Rush fans really turned up the effort to bring the original formula back. One guy even started an online petition and Degree listened. They admitted they fed up. They're bringing back the original cool Rush scent. They're bringing it back and it's exactly how you remember it, cool, crisp and fresh. It's back in Walmart, Target and other stores now for under four dollars. There's a reason that's been the number one men's anti persperant for the last decade. It's the same reason why people were not happy when it changed. So if you've never tried it, it might be a good time to see what the fuss is about. Head to your local Walmart, Target and try the og degree cool Rush for yourself. All right, I am back from twelve days off. It ended up being thirteen, although I didn't want it to be. I wanted to be back for the Monday show. But you know it's funny when you live out West Arizona, Ore again California. You know, if it's sunny out then your flight will not be delayed. But in the east coast, the entire state, Rhode Island can be perfect. But because of a lightning storm in Columbus, Ohio or Dayton, it sets northeast travel on its ass. And so yesterday, after about five hours, I finally left the airport and rebooked my flight. I rebooked three flights for today Monday, so I could get back for Tuesday show. One already got delayed two hours. I was on the one that didn't. So I'm here in Chicago. I'm good. But I golfed. I had cocktails, I did four mile walks in the beach and lifted weights. What did you do middle coffee? I saw, yeah, did you shoot seventy six? I saw it Twitter? That was the goal? No, but no, But I will say it's the best round of golf I've played in ten years. So I have a new driver, and I hit seven out of my last eight drives fair way two fifty plus I felt great, played the best golf I have in a long time.
Speaker 2: And what clubs are in Collins Back? Like what would would brand funny?
Speaker 1: Everybody makes everybody makes fun I got some tailor maids, but I only have a driver, a three wood, a five wood, a putter fifty four and forty eight wedges pitching wedge nine eight, seven six. That's it to all the clubs I have, I don't have any. Uh, that's it. I don't have you know, your your two year, three or four five irons. I can't hit them, and so I probably need like what do they call those?
Speaker 2: Yeah, say to do what Freddy Couples is doing and go with the hybrids and the rescues he has. He basically has high and rescues to like seven iron. He's like, what's yeah, I'm old bad back. Hit these great. They're the easiest club ever invented. I mean the equipment in golf when I was a kid and I learned how to play golf in the nineties, like football has always kind of be in the same Baseball, they're using the same bats as Barry Bonds used, right, maybe the weight it's a little different.
Speaker 1: The equipment in golf I.
Speaker 2: Would say, unlike any sport that's on television, is the most dramatically different than it was. I mean when Tiger came out, if you watch highlights in the mid to late nineties, him and Phil, they are playing clubs that just simply not only not exist. There's not enough money to pay Rory McElroy, guy like that to even entertain playing that. So which, in fairness, you know, golf was really hard up until the last fifteen years. You know, you had to be to get decent, you had to be really good and took a lot of time. The equipment now has made the game much more enjoyable and much more playable because most people don't aren't playing three four times a week. So if you're playing once a week or in the summers, it's much easier to play because the equipment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to get I'm going to get a Rescue seven and a Rescue five. That's what everybody keeps saying, you got you got to get a Rescue seven club. But I played two of my favorite clubs in the country and Rhode Island. Rhode Island's an amazing state for people who haven't gone there. It's got two or three of my favorite towns in the country beach towns, Newport, Watch Hill, Narra, Gansett. It's just for a tiny state. Providence is just got the best airport in the country, number one airport according to Travel and Leisure magazine. So it's just where I hang out in the summer. Rhode Island is so much fun. I got to get you and your wife out there. You will. I'm telling you, you'll go there and you won't believe it. I tell West Coast people, you just got to go there for about a six day stretch. I'm inviting a bunch of buddies out in August and andre I said, just bring cigars. I'll take care of the rest. Have you ever been to Lake tal many times? Love it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We spent the last probably ten days and Incline, which is a Nevada side. You know, essentially it's the opposite end of where they just had the golf tournament, which is also Edgewood, which is Nevada.
Speaker 1: It's hard to beat. I mean, you you can just sit on a lake have cocktails, you know. The thing that it kind of brings you back to.
Speaker 2: It's a small lake town now it's grown, but it is the pace of life is a lot different than what I get when I was living in the Bay Area. Now in Scottsdale, there are not many restaurants.
Speaker 1: They just relax.
Speaker 2: You sit on the water. Everyone is moving a little slower. The door dash, things like that do not exist. People get very very uncomfortable about Airbnb's I mean, that was something that really kind of took over, and there's been a lot of pushback, which I do think there's a balance that I kind of agree with that kind of takes over the novelty of everything. But one thing you've seen with these quarterbacks and essentially that golf tournament. I remember growing up and it was like Wayne Gretzky, John Elway. It has become so popular that I saw Josh Josh Allen and Charles both said that I know so many people that were denied because it essentially has become an NFL event with Steph Curry being the headliner, and these guys think about a lot of them. You know, Baker Mayfield's from Texas went to Oklahoma. Plays in Tampa. You had Mahomes, Texas guy plays. They come here for the the Kelsey Brothers and they're like this place is heaven on Earth. I can bring my family. Oh there's also gambling and boozing and hanging out. It's chill, and they go back every single year. Charles has been back every single year for thirty five years. Think about that now, listen. I told my wife.
Speaker 1: You know, my wife's a designer and she's really clever, and we have a backyard and I told her, I said, and I've told my kids this. One time we were skiing in Deer Valley and I told my son Jackson. I said, Jackson, this is when people fly to Switzerland under Austria. It can't be much more beautiful than Deer Valley, Utah on a sunny day where I can see the state where I'm nine thousand to eleven thousand feet and I feel that way. My wife, she has this pool in the back and I took a picture of it and I said, if you set this to a friend. I showed it to her what you did back here and said, we're in Tuscany right now, and you know, like in a vineyard, you would have no idea the way the coloring. It looks so Italian. And I said this before when I used to go to Lake Tahoe. Maybe it's not Lake Como in Italy. Maybe it doesn't have that many high end hotels, but there are places when you're there are times I have been in parts of Lake Tahoe. It is as beautiful as North America gets. Canada's got some lakes too that are just stunning.
Speaker 2: The day before we left, we just rented some paddle boards, which is actually an underrated, difficult activity if there are some wakes to stand up, so we basically just on our knees and going, and you go pretty far out and you just look at this lake and we just sat there for hours and when it doesn't get Now, I've been going there most of my life, but I got lucky. I was born two hours away. Right If I had been born in Seattle or Texas, I wouldn't have known. I've been going there for so long because where I was in Davis, it's our forty five minute drive, and I grew up what I learned to ski. My first time ever skiing was at Squaw Valley, host of the Olympics. Like you said, there's just you know, veil. There might be some places in the world that are better, not that many. It's on the short list of Heavenly and Squaw Valley are about as good as it gets.
Speaker 1: When it comes to skiing, and the dollar right now is so weak that European travels about thirty percent more expensive than you want it to be, and the flights are brutal. So I think sometimes, you know, people, I got the travel bug about ten years ago, the European travel bug, and you do feel like, you know, if you're not doing it, you feel like, oh, I'm missing out. And I love going and I went again this year with my son, but there are so you know, I say this all the time to my wife, is there are so many places in this country that are just absolutely stunning. And I mean I tell people Newport, Rhode Island. Man, there's some hotels there that are just on the way at a rondack chairs it is. It's as good as anything in Europe.
Speaker 2: Do you at this point in time in your career, because I really struggle with this, and obviously I'm in a way different time. But I can go, especially this time of year there's nothing going on, but I go about four or five days. I feel like kind of obligated to record, you know. It's like I have to hear like, I are you pretty comfortable now going a couple weeks.
Speaker 1: I mean, this time of year is unique, but this is my longest break. I do a twelve to thirteen day break every year. This time I just finished it and then I'll take two more weeks off dead of summer. Fox is really cool about that. They understand nobody. You know, once Sean McVay stopped playing starters in the preseason, he killed the preseason. Yeah, it used to be August. I look forward to starters played week three. Now you've got three games. Nobody plays. It's a job. It's a I mean, I'm hoping Shador Sanders has a good camp, so that can be a story. There's just nothing to talk about. And by the way, because the NFL season is being extended, mid February to mid March used to be awful. Now it's not. Free agency in the NFL's exploded. The seasons longer now, so there used to be a dead period after football that was like three weeks long to a month. Now it's maybe ten days. Take a vacation, go in the sun, come back and it's great. The dead time for us is July and early August. There's about a five week stretch. And by the way, you'll notice this for your local radio shows or other follows. I mean I don't follow them, but I saw where one of the hosts I forget who it was, Dan Patrick, took his show to Tahoe, and I thought, oh, that's smart. Like that, that's content. It's hard. I think I have been. It kind of hit me this year, and that might be a plan next year. I mean, they're all there.
Speaker 2: One thing I saw Dan say this is the Combine is a lot like this. Everyone's in a good mood. There's no pressure. And he said, unlike the super Bowl, which I like. You know, one thing that's cool about what we do here is you understand the super Bowl can be shit. It's not a great environment for content because everyone's selling something. They're in and out. It's not great interviews despite the big names. But the Combine, everyone's in a good mood. And in that event, unlike the Combine, it's not just coaches, it's the athletes, but they're not Baker Mayfield's not there because of State Farm, right, you know, Josh Allen is just there with his buddies hanging out. He's in a great, He'll give you twenty minutes to just talk some shops. So I it's a really really I'm telling you that thing has become an NFL event. One one theory I have. Obviously, the NFL is separated from a lot of different people. But when I was on your show, Patino had this comment, He's like, twenty thirty years ago, college basketball, college football, the NFL and the NBA were close to being equals. When I was a kid, Michael Jordan was. I grew up in forty nine or territory. Michael Jordan was every bit as big as the forty nine Ers dynasty. He was huge, and that this is northern California, and even Patino's like, the separation has been huge. I do think there's a relatability to these players, like you just you turn on that event and it's Jason Kelsey, George Kittle slam beers with twenty five year old frack guys, and that the NBA, the Oklahoma City Thunder they win the championship. Half of them had never drank a beer before. It's like, you know, it's it's hard for the consumer to quite relate. Like I grew up on Michael Jordan, he drinks. Charles Barkley been drinking for forty There's just a relatable quality that I think football still really has, and I think it's on full display when some of their biggest stars now the one guy kind of getting make fun of. I'm sure you saw some of the clips was Rogers, the way he was acting. But everyone else is just hanging out with the people. It's a very accessible event, and basketball has almost become the NBA specifically, like Hollywood averturs or something like they're untouchable. You know, we're football. George Kittle could just you could just be playing poker with them at the Harris in Nevada.
Speaker 1: When I go to UFC fights in the summer, I will see George Kittle, Max Crosby, Christian McCaffrey, Kyler, Murray Burrow, Joe Burl and they come up to me. Because I never want to bother when I see athletes, I never want to bother them. Max Crosby i'd go up to because Max and I are friends and so, and I really love Max and I it's just rich of his stories, totally redeemable human being. But most of these guys, I stay, you know, I don't want to bother them. They'll come up to you. They're in T shirts. McCaffrey is arguably, after Walter Payton, the greatest running back in league history. He's got a T shirt. Did I ever tell you my Christian McCaffrey story where he came up to me? It was a dark media room UFC. He came up. I didn't recognize him. He had a cap on a T shirt, and I'm like, hey, hey, my and was with me. They put his face on the screen and the crowd goes nuts. She goes, you totally diss that guy. You have to go find him and apologize. I mean, she was on me. So I go back in and I see him, and I'm like, dude, there's a thousand people in here. You had your hat over. He just he thought it was so he had such a good sport. He just laughed, he thought. And I know his dad and pretty well so so I mean it was just But to your point, I do think there's a relatability with football players. Also, NBA players frankly are physically I mean, Aaron Donald doesn't look like any of your friends. Yeah, but you could take you could take Teddy Bruce Key so great football player Rodney Harrison. If you have a buddy that works out, they don't look that different than those guys. Football players do not look as big as half the guys in Gold gym. They're athletes. They don't want to be so yoked up they can't move so an NBA guy, I remember years ago going to the SP's like fifteen years ago, and I'm sitting there at the time with Michelle Beatles on the stage and Amari Stodameyer walked in.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how did that guy get ADUs? I mean, you know, he's just physically. NBA players are just different. They're seven to one. I've never met anybody in mine life that was over six', eight you, Know like it's like in. COLLEGE nba guys are seven to.
Speaker 1: One they're. Long THEY i mean they literally there's like five stores in the country where they can shop for, shoes and SO i do think football players kind of like if you went To golds gym and You i've had guys come up to me at the gym over the course of my life and he's, like, YEAH i played four years for The Atlanta falcons bad. Knee it's like it was a corner And i'm, like, oh where'd you go to? School Love Coastal. Carolina it just he's a dude At Golds, Gym like nobody. Cares so to your, POINT i do think there's a there's a there's a beer and brats quality TO nfl. Guys big. Time all, right, folks something special is about to happen in the big. EASY ufc three Eighteen i'll be watching coming In New. Orleans it is absolutely. Stacked i'll tell. You THE ufc cards in the summer are. Good DraftKings Sports, books the official sports betting partner of THE, ufc and they got all the actions you. Want we're Talking holloway Versus poortya, three the, trilogy THE bmf titles on the. Line more than, that this Is Dustin poorier's last, fight that's, it final, walk one of the all time. Greats so you're Taking holloway's volume Or pooria's. Power if you've never BET ufc With, DraftKings do. It it's, simple pick a fighter to, win make your. Pick that's, it, straightforward easy check this. Out new customers who bet five, bucks that's all five, bucks get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets. Immediately huge boost to get, started so don't Miss poorier's final. Fight download The DraftKings sportsbook app right. Now code Is Colin CODE coli and new customers get one hundred and fiftyen bonus bets. Instantly all you have to do is bet five bucks only On. DraftKings The crown is.
Speaker 4: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler In New york called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine In. Connecticut help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or VISIT ccpg dot. Org please play responsibly on behalf Of Boothill casino In, Resorting kansas twenty one on over agent eligibility varies by, Jurisdiction void And. Ontario new customers. Only bonus bets expire one hundred sixty eight hours after. Issuance four additional terms and responsible gaming resources SEE dkanng dot co slash.
Speaker 1: Audio, Hey SO i saw something AND i wanted to talk about. This SO espn the survey of, executives coaches, scouts and it came out their top ten, quarterbacks AND i was on the. Plane reading this, today AND i, thought that's about as close is any top ten quarterback List i've ever. Seen it Goes, Mahomes Alan, Burrow Lamar, Jaden, Stafford Herbert. Goff i've always thought golf because he's not, dynamic he's not fun to root. For the guy was a number one pick out Of, cow he got to A Super. Bowl i've seen him Outdo mahomes in big. Games he's. Good then they Go hurts nine And baker. Ten AND i thought, people WHEN i say, this that's about as good a list As i've, seen people would, say oh what About. Baker, WELL i Got baker IF i did a list closer to ten than. Fifteen, NOW i think over after last, YEAR i THINK i kind of scratched down a list on the plane THAT i had him at like. Twelve But i'm not bothered at all That. BAKER i Think baker And darnold are both in that ten eleven twelve. Space i'm totally comfortable with.
Speaker 2: Both i'd Say baker now is two straight years and he has that second year In, cleveland and just looking at him on the golf, course sin it's been talked about he's definitely lost. Weight he looks, fantastic and there is an, element there's A farvian element if you remember When dorsey took him number one, overall the intangible kind of THE i would say this, though for what Makes jalen kind of? Unique and the arguments Over jalen are such a waste of. Time like he won literally won The Super, Bowl Super BOWL, mvp AND i looked at his. Contract by the end of like twenty twenty, seven he will accumulated two hundred million dollars playing football on the.
Speaker 1: Field i'm sure he's making.
Speaker 2: Mine he. Won we could argue till we're blue in the face once he won The Super, bowl like he's got an element that. GOLF i, mean, Hell, Lamar Josh. Allen some of these are still. CHASING i think the top. Four you, Know mahomes hasn't played as well in the regular season as those other three guys the last couple of, years but we have full faith in him and the biggest moments to get it, done and he.
Speaker 1: Has the top four is just.
Speaker 2: Set if you want to Argue burrow, Second Josh allen, SECOND i don't, care but Like mahomes is, one then you can argue the ranking of the next. THREE i think what Makes stafford unique if all the teams were, equal like everyone have the same team in a one game, situation in a month, situation he could.
Speaker 1: Out due to anyone and go to toe to toe with.
Speaker 2: Anybody Where Jared, goff IF i told you your offensive line had a lot of question, marks you would like A Jalen hurts Even baker more Than.
Speaker 1: God, YEAH i mean he can't.
Speaker 2: Move he's on the team with the best offensive line in the, league so it's you, know he benefits from. That and that's WHERE i, think you, Know Jayden, DANIELS i would have C. J stroud is like the fifth or sixth best quarterback last, year and if he's an honorable mention in that, Thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah SO i THOUGHT i may HAVE. Cj stroud ten And baker. Eleven that felt about. RIGHT i Like. KYLER i still Like Kyler, murray So i'm in the minority. HERE i think he's elusive AND i think he throws a great.
Speaker 2: Ball BUT i Think CJ's story kind of speaks To Jayden. DANIELS i would Say jaden as a, rookie it's not apples d, apples but was better THAN.
Speaker 1: Cj just the eye.
Speaker 2: Test you, know, numbers we could, argue but Just jaden is about as good as it. Gets but they did get to kind of fly under the radar most of the season until the. Playoffs it's you know what Makes Brady, Peyton Tiger, Woods Aaron, judge? Whoever great? Players is every single, year every single. Game Aaron donald for. Decade everyone circled him all week long and he's still. Dominated Reggie, White Lawrence. Taylor it's, like you, Know Patrick, Mahomes Lamar, Jackson Josh allen have been keeping defensive coordinators up at night for a long time and they still kick. Ass same With Joe burrow last, year, right you, Know Jayden, daniels this is going everyone's gonna take them. Seriously so WHY i got a lot of respect For Dan campbell and The. Lions like early on it's, like, okay you gotta the last couple of, years like everyone has been approaching them like one of the best teams in the, league and they've answered the. Bell same With jared you, know we'll See Jayden daniels like no one is sleeping on you this. Year that's from the shittiest team to when you're playing the, packers the. Vikings that's. Hard you, know.
Speaker 1: Well Even baseball figured it out with, analytics is that they don't want to starter facing a batter for the third, time, Right so you go through the order twice and then by the time you're gonna Face so what they're telling, you even starting, pitchers even, aces they want to they want you out of. There but the third time because a guy after a third groove on you gets a. Vibe because a lot of pictures get. Better you know verlandro And wayinwright in their. PRIME i Thought Nolan ryan was better fifth inning. On can you imagine Pulling nolan out with a one hitter in the? Sixth you do A Robin ventura on. You but the reality is there is truth to what you're. Saying is it is very hard in the middle of the, marathon when you're on the treadmill to break Down Jade daniels over the course of two days on a couch in an office sleeping and say this is the, solution this is the. Kryptonite when you give guys an off seats and these defensive coordinators they find, Play they go through all the analytics and find out he doesn't see to his right as well as his. Left he's more. Accurate SO i do think he was. Miraculous But i'll also make this, argument IF i told you you Combine Lamar jackson And Joe, burrow that's WHAT i Thought Jaden daniels. WAS i thought he. WAS i, Mean burrow to, me is even better Than. Mahomes if you told me two minute, drill a minute fifty.
Speaker 5: Left no timeouts left and protection is, OKAY i Think burrow's as good as Anybody i've ever seen in the last ten.
Speaker 1: Years, Now mahomes gets all the credit Because mahomes you.
Speaker 2: Give Him chase And. Higgins mahomes numbers look a lot. Different, Right you're, Right you're, right that's. Fair BUT i Think burrow's ability on third, down third and seven sit in the, little, tiny weird. Windows you're, like what in the. Hell AND i Thought jaden had that mixed with about eighty five percent to eighty percent Of Lamar. Jackson SO i THINK i Thought Andrew luck was the best rookie Quarterback i've ever seen with bad, TEAMMATES i Thought jayden' surpassed. Him he didn't make the mistakes Of. Luck so my take, is even if he pulls back fifteen.
Speaker 1: Percent. John if you start looking at his third and fourth down numbers last, year fourth quarter, numbers they Are brady in his.
Speaker 2: Prime i've been a lot of, people especially The lamar, defenders if you just look at the, number you're, like how the hell do you have him? Fourth but if you read the, quotes the executives and the coaches are very complimentary Of, lamar AND i agree his, passing the progress he's made from when he first won THAT mvp to the version he's been these last couple of years in the. Race he's an elite player, now and he's a fantastic, passer at least in the regular. Season he wasn't that second half of That bill's. Game it Just Mark andrews had a couple. Drops jaden is already that, Immediately like he's a dominant passer. Immediately, now if you tell me he this year he throws thirty eight touchdowns and ten, picks like he's just on the crash course to be one of the great players of all. TIME i, mean if he just, answered BECAUSE i thought that ABOUT cj last, Year it's LIKE i got he just games easy to, him and it gets, hard you, know offensive line wasn't quite as good the offensive. Coordinator that's thing With cliff seems like a great, guy AND i know everyone in the league loves, him But i've seen his offense over the course of time get.
Speaker 1: Figured out a little.
Speaker 2: Bit NOW i Like jayden more THAN i Do, kyler and it feels, like you, know that version Of kyler that he dealt. With the maturity was a major question, mark not a question mark With, jayden BUT i do think it's difficult when everyone's gunning for you like you're An All pro, immediately you, Know and it's just that's not how they were treated last year on a weekly, basis and they.
Speaker 1: Are going to get the.
Speaker 2: TREATMENT i think when you played The Washington commanders this, year you're not approaching the game that much different than when you're playing The, eagles like this is a twelve thirteen win team they plan on they can win The Super, bowl like fucking we are all in.
Speaker 1: All you.
Speaker 2: Know belichick used to go on these long like diet tribes when he played like a one Eleven miami. Team it's Like, Bill Remember julian got mad at me for. This it's Like julian Not most people can't take these awful teams. Seriously But bill, could but everyone. Can and this is What bill And saban was great at this, too is that they really can kind of convince. You you don't need to convince when you're playing the ten and One Baltimore ravens or when you're playing the Peak alabama team in Your. Georgia, right it's the. Team you don't need a New rockney. Speech you're not gonna need that when you're Playing. Washington and for the last, decade if you're a seventh year player on The cowboys or The, eagles like you kind of cruised through The washington, game that's no longer the.
Speaker 1: Case. Now it's same thing with The.
Speaker 2: Lions and that's WHERE i Think Dan campbell deserves a lot of credit with the way he's kind of you, know he's a harrorball. BROTHER i consider him the Third Hardball, brother the way his intensity is in his. FOCUS i know you were hard on, him BUT i do think he's proven to be pretty damn.
Speaker 1: Good, Right, Yeah, NO i was wrong On Dan. CAMPBELL i THOUGHT i thought he was a bit of a meat. Head my take was AND i was just, LIKE i don't know if he's smart, enough the league's getting really, smart really clever. Offensively and he's a little bit of a, raw raw, guy but you know, what it's so. Authentic he is so passionate and it's so, authentic AND i think the players can feel that authenticity and they buy into. Him AND i also think he has a great front. Office AND i mean it's just there that's a front office that doesn't go for. FLASH i, mean prime, example a couple of years, ago they, get you, know an inside, linebacker a running. Back they're getting the best players. Available this year they went heavy on interior offensive. Lineman you, know it's got A rams feel to. It and that's where he came. From Brad holmes came From Los. Angeles that they just draft really good. PLAYERS i, mean this, year you're, like do The rams need another outside? Linebacker they get A michigan, kid and they're, like he's great on, tape he's, passionate he plays. Hard The rams, have you, know no head. Cases detroit similarly like good, guys like all The lions guys Like Amaran Saint brown And Aiden hutchinson And Jared goff And Penay sewel no a, holes like all really really good so there are people in this league AND i Think Dan campbell has benefited from that a really GOOD. Gm but he deserves. Credit you. KNOW i think in THE nfl you ask so much of players. Physically this is Why Mike tomlin his, Strength Pete carroll's, strength But, Tomlin vrabel And Dan campbell have a. Physicality they look like they could play right. Today is that you ask so much OF i, mean if you have a bad, thumb you take a series. Off in, baseball it's. Understood if you have a bad, calf you take a road trip off in THE. Nba it's understood in THE. Nfl you play hurt and the coach is going to ask you to play. Hurt and so when you ask athletes or, MEN i don't care if you're a fire chief or a police, chief you're putting people in harm's. Way there is a certain, personality an alpha personality that. Works you, know you can't ask the fire, chief can't ask all those guys are RUNNING theo. Buildings they got to. Believe those firemen have to believe that guy deeply cares about them as human beings beyond just co. Workers AND i Think Dan campbell sells. THAT i think it's. AUTHENTIC i think he loves his. PLAYERS i think they feel. IT i think mcveigh's got that quality, too AND i think all the hardballs. Too they love their.
Speaker 2: Players and, Listen i'm not Selling washington BECAUSE i think Dan quinn has characteristics of that as well of being a tough. Guy he's defensive lineman in, college defensive, coordinator tough. Guy but he's like a lovable tough guy and that's very, important AND i think he. Is they're pretty lucky BECAUSE i think it's going to be intense for, them but they have a coach who's been through the, ringer, Right he's a guy that's been. Fired he had to reinvent his career. OBVIOUSLY i mean what he did last year spoke for. Itself you, Know dabo is a good example of a couple of years. Ago i'm, like this is the best coaching Job i've ever. Seen he won nine. GAMES i think they got like three total good. Players But i've been a head coach and as time went, on it just kind, of you, know unraveled a little, bit and you don't have as much to lean on dan quinn once you've been a head coach and you've been, fired you've kind of seen it, all especially when you've had success and you've worked for the best in the. Business you, know you talk to. Anyone with The, chiefs there's no taking practices. OFF i mean they're not winning these games late in the season and all these playoff games close because they have a bunch of guys that just Chill monday through Or, Wednesday thursday And friday In October november and then start. Practicing you are obligated to. PRACTICE i mean it's a tough. Environment no different with The, ravens no different now with The. Chargers with the, hardball like you, said it is. HARD i mean THE, nfl you practice way more than you, play and these coaches they will push you to the limit of what they are allowed to use with the. Pads you, know THE cba doesn't allow them to have that many physical practices like they used. To but The hardball, brothers Obviously, Andy, Mike, Tomlin Pete Carroll, shirley will push it to the limit when it comes to. That SO i just think the same teams are when we talk about this all the, time or win it over and. OVER i, mean look at the top quarterbacks there on the. List they also benefit from PLAYING i Mean burrows somewhat of an. Outlier they all play with really well. RUN i Mean baker resurrected his. Career you, know if you would have Put baker in Like arizona the last couple of, years probably doesn't Look but he goes To, tampa BEST gm in the league or one of, them a bunch of good, players high level, guys And boom resurrects his. Career he's. Matured and the same With Jared. Goff Jared goff just talked, about you, know when he was, traded it really rattled. HIM a couple of years, later gets another big extension and now he's you, KNOW i would say he's going to make five or Six Pro bowls in his time in THE Nfc Orvin.
Speaker 1: Lions, yeah, NO i think were you surprised That Ryan poles got a contract. Extension i'm kind of mixed On Ryan. POLES i Think Ben johnson, now and you AND i have talked about. This the coach makes twice to three times as much as THE gm, does so the coach has a lot of say And Ben, johnson you, know you could tell with that interior Lineman Drew, Dolman Joe, Tooney Jonah. Jackson that's Got Ben johnson's fingerprints all over. It because what you're also saying with those moves is you didn't do a good enough job the last several years building this offensive. Line i'm going to go on the market and pay for, guys especially interior offensive, line And i'm going to go pay big. MONEY i was a little. Surprised i'm not Anti Ryan. POLES i think he's been. Fine The VELAs jones wide receiver pick he could have called, ME i could have told him that wasn't going to. Work a couple of years, ago they only had four. Picks he drafted a. Punter i'm, like come, on you do that when you have thirteen? Picks where are you On?
Speaker 2: Poles you, Know Mike lombardi used to talk a lot about this in the front, offices unlike, coaching where you're truly judged wins and, losses or if you're a, coordinator you get along with the star linebacker or the star. Quarterback does your unit produced as A Gm we see a lot of average guys survive for a long time because when the game is being played, there you, know The bears are, Unique you're not NECESSARILY i know she just passed, Away but the most important guy there Is Kevin, warren and that's he's close To Kevin warren And Kevin warren likes. Him that's an important. Relationship you, know we've seen a lot of, GMS i would say in all, sports but specifically football lasts longer than they should because the decision, maker whether that's the president a lot of times is the owner really likes the. Guy AND i think with coaches it's easier to get rid of them and get a new, guy where with THE, GM i think this is simply like he did a pretty good job of cultivating and extending a relationship With Kevin warren that could have gone, sour, right he didn't get caught in that wake that Was ebrafluce because let's, face he blamed it all on, him Which i'm not Saying ebraflus was a good head. Coach he was objectively, awful but it wasn't all his. FAULT i, mean the team was not built to play In chicago from an offensive line. Standpoint they built around wide. RECEIVERS i Love, rome but you should not have taken him at. Nine you play In, chicago you play in a tough. Division you should have taken alignment. There there were other. Options look at The. Jets they took an offensive lineman there in that position and the guy didn't even start. Right so like you sometimes And Ryan poles is he Was i'm pretty sure the left tackle For Matt ryan At Boston. College it's not like he played wide, receiver SO i think he Got you.
Speaker 1: Got to be a politician to.
Speaker 2: Survive it's no different than Corporate america sometimes because it's it's easy to see less need Or howie or you, Know ozzie knew some over the, Years Ryan polich're, like what's his? Record how many he? Did orchestrate a trade With David tepper that he benefited. From BUT i would also say that we'll see how that, ages because his job isn't just well everyone just says Tay Kayleb. WILLIAMS i have people in THE nfl that, said you know, what because they Go Adam peters last year got crushed for bringing all five quarterbacks not Named Kayleb williams into the facility at the same, time and he took him to play top, golf and they're, like don't you, know he's, like, NO i want to get see all these guys in the same, environment get to know, him kind of really judge. Them Ryan poles only dealt With, kayler didn't even Give Jayden, daniels who had one of the great rookie seasons we've ever, seen the. Time they didn't even bring him in on a thirty. Visit SO i just think it's part of. Relationships PEOPLE i know In Kansas city that work with him love. THEM i thought when he got, hired if you, remember he made a comment Like i'm gonna screw it, up that this wasn't exactly what it, was but something like The packers have been running this, division it's our time now or it's you, know their time Is it's, like what are you you come?
Speaker 1: From Andy.
Speaker 2: Reid they do not talk like that over In Kansas, city and they've been. Winning and then obviously he's been embarrassed. Since but, listen he's gonna go as they don't sign this, CONTRACT I Ben johnson doesn't sign off on this because if you, Remember Trent balk survived until he didn't and Then Liam cohen wanted him. Out so clearly he's done a good job of creating a relationship With Ben, johnson which is. Important but, YEAH i, MEAN i think getting buddy buddy With Kevin warren over the last twelve plus months as Ebra flus was on the hot seat was good foresight By ryan got a lot more money for the next four or five.
Speaker 1: Years you, know another story that kind of. Developed SO i said this a year. AGO i, Said, pittsburgh you leave THE nfl again in defensive, spending and you're not PAYING. Tj watt the big money. Yet and that's why when they went and Got Jalen ramsey and let go a mink Of, Fitzpatrick i'm, like how about just let go Of Minka fitzpatrick and not bring in a more expensive guy in the secondary who's past his, prime who bites on a lot of, stuff doesn't quite have the makeup, speed the makeup ability he did like four years. Ago he's a bounce around the lead guy with a little bit of an, attitude a little bit of an independent contractor at times from the. Secondary jalen's doing his own. Thing so now stories are servicing and people, said how can you TRADE. Tj? Watt And i'm, like it would be different if their money was all on, offense like The rams will Pay jared vers and. Too they're going to pay him whatever they have to pay. Him but they're going to keep drafting defense and keeping it cheap and paying the quarterback and the left tackle And pookin Nakup had Maybe Kyraen. WILLIAMS i think a lot of the smart teams in the league The chiefs have done this is, well they'll Pay Chris, jones but they're gonna let corners go and safeties going. Linebacker this is an offensive league and you want your defense to, be you, know outside of a great pass. Rusher so WHEN i suggested it a year, AGO i would, consider you, know he's now across that rubicon thirty years old plus for you, know an edge, Rusher i'd consider moving. HIM i got huge. Pushback now the stories are out, there AND i don't think it's crazy if you could get two, two's if by the trade deadline or in the, offseason if you don't make the. Playoffs Burrow, lamar you know your thoughts on trading. HIM i don't think it's going to, happen BUT i don't think IT'S i, mean get things in this. League Bella, Chick Andy reid were. Fired, okay anybody can be fired in this. League Joe montana ended up with The, Chiefs brady And. Tampa you can move off. Anybody what would You what do you make OF. Tj? WATT i agree with you big.
Speaker 2: PICTURE i think the problem is once they make the move to trade FOR Dk metcalf With Aaron, rodgers they're kind of all in on this season this. Year that, yeah that's WHERE. Tj watt kind of has them by the you know, what because what are they going to? Do he's not only their best, Player as a couple of people in the league pointed, out the problem with trading, him especially at this point in, time right before training, camp is his leadership in what he brings to the table in terms of that. Team like he's the, heartbeat he's, There Max, crosby he's JUST i, mean he stands for everything that that franchise. Is AND i think think about. This they traded to make a Fits patrick For Jalen, ramsey so The rams pluting On Jayalen ramsey a couple of years, ago and they also Signed Darius, slay who The eagles just, like, yeah it's it's ended. Here so they got two guys who the two of the top organizations were, like, yeah these guys are old and trending in the wrong. Way and you take For Minka, fitzpatrick who LIKE. Tj, watt checks all the. Boxes you, know from a intangible, standpoint the problem is. Safety it's kind of the new running. Back people don't value it as, much so they're going more in the. CORNERS i don't think they.
Speaker 1: Have a choice WITH. Tj.
Speaker 2: Watt they almost If I'M, TG i do not show up until they capitulate to my, demands which Is Miles, garrett, Right Max KROT i want one hundred million new dollars coming my. Way that's the going rate for people like. Me but that's pretty. Questionable Bit i've supported The. Bengals it's, like, hey you get the thirty thirty one year old guy who Wants Miles garrett an. Outlier he's like A Lebron james. PHYSICALLY i would give an extension to an older player that's built like.
Speaker 1: That to, ME.
Speaker 2: Tj Watt Trey hendrickson is, like we have a long history of guys with their third contract is they've already been in the league close to a. Decade you get beat up it's just you're not quite the same as you once. Were, well when you go from being a ten out of ten to, like, well he's like a nine point, two and then he's an eight point, eight you can get to like that six or five mark pretty. Quick it's a precipitous drop in, football unlike some of these other. Sports it's almost like a baseball, pitcher like you used to throw in ninety. Five now he's throwing ninety, two and all of a sudden he's thrown eighty.
Speaker 1: Five you're, like he's. Shot Kirk shilling telling me he would at the end of his, career he, GOES i got twelve fast. FALLS i got twelve mid, nineties And i'm going to use, them you, know against the three hitter or a man. On AND i think it's the same thing as for the older pass. Rushers they know when the red light it's go, time but they're not given. YOU i, mean it's just a different ball they're not giving. You In week four Against, carolina first, quarter it doesn't feel the same as it does against The ravens in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Overtime to, me if you are going to entertain moving a guy LIKE. Tj watt or if The cowboys With Micah parson's you have to do it before the, draft BECAUSE i remember When gruden did. It he got off to such a shitty start because he Traded Khalil mack a week before. Season those two first round picks that The bears don't give you any help those sixteen seventeen, Games so it feels, like what are we? Doing so they are in a position WHERE i don't.
Speaker 1: Think they have a.
Speaker 2: CHOICE i think he's you almost have to pay, him and that's that's risky. Business But i'd argue trading FOR Dk. Metcalf you, know when your quarterback is about to Be Aaron, rodgers who's going to play one more, season is not? Good that to be is the craziest thing they've done this. Season in what world are The Pittsburgh steelers in THE Dk metcalf market and giving him a third? CONTRACT i thought that WAS i Get Aaron. Rodgers they don't have any other. Choice but THE Dk, metcalf that's who you're going to give an enormous contract to is trek about. Us so they've been battling injuries and had some personal foul issues.
Speaker 1: With Pete, carroll so they move off a high maintenance sideline receiver with a big, personality and they acquire. One so it's Like Omar cohn was kind OF i don't get a. Pattern if you move off, one that's. Good you can go get another. Receiver it wouldn't have BEEN Dk. Metca then they move off a guy who's a little past his, prime good, Player Mika fitzpatrick getting, expensive and then they bring in another defensive back who's more expensive past his. Prime SO i don't see a. Plan it feels like they're just making moves to make. Moves he got an. Extension he's. Fine BUT i do feel like there's a lot of people in The pittsburgh. Building they remind me a little bit of a better. Roster but they feel a little bit like The Dallas, cowboys WHERE i think they need new eyes in the. Building The lakers just sold all sorts of new eyes and opinions in the. Building The cowboys to me and The, steelers it's very, insular you know. There you, KNOW i can respect the, BRAND i can Respect, tomlin but when you lead THE nfl as it's pivoted clearly to. Offense if you leave THE nfl for four straight years and defensive. Spending that Means tomlin's not getting enough pushback in that. Building, well he's not getting enough nose in that, building because you can't spend money like that and Win Super bowls in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: FIVE i do think there's actually some parallels the last couple of years with The lakers to The, steelers where When lebron still had some, juice he was just living year to, year do whatever it, takes and that can really bite. You for the first, time it felt like over the last twelve, months The lakers Like, lebron we're not doing crazy things with these late first round picks at the end of the, decade Like i'm. Sorry The steelers think about last, year it's, like, well we got to try to win The Russell Wilson Justin fields will just do this little quarterback cocktail and see what works out this. Year it's Like Aaron rodgers forty. One it's, like this is not going to work, out. GUYS i, mean you know the same thing over and. Over the problem with doing it this, way at least With Kenny, pickett you swing for the fences doesn't work. Out people, like, oh we understand if this gets. Ugly it could get really. UGLY i, mean what would you put the percentage chance that how many forty one year olds don't get hurt IN nfl? HISTORY i would say it's a pretty small, list you, Know, brady if you're comparing break it, out think about some of his. Contemporaries, now they had physical. Ailments breeze his, Shoulder roethlisberger's, Shoulder Peyton. Manning that last, Year elway had to, say, like we're gonna give you a month. Off remember it was Like. November they're, like you just sit for a. Month and Aust wyler came in the year they won The Super. Bowl the difference With rogers his arm still, works but like he can't get away as. Fast all of a, sudden you turn the corner and some dude on The ravens breaks a.
Speaker 1: Bone and you're just out rolling.
Speaker 2: Ankle well used TO i wasn't going to miss a game BECAUSE i was thirty years. Old now it's a little harder at. Forty it's harder for older players and other, positions let alone the. Quarterback it's the only time of the year in those seventeen games when they can actually hit. You and one thing we noticed last, year is he'd have to hit the ground Because i'm not comfortable enough running away from these guys Because i'm not as, fast and especially off This achilles.
Speaker 1: Injury, well you think he's going to be faster this. Year now he's a diminishing.
Speaker 2: ATHLETE i just IF i was a betting, man are they more likely to Have rogers play seventeen games and win ten or? Eleven were like by mid? Seasons, LIKE i don't Think roger's gonna make it through this. Season it feels like.
Speaker 1: That if you just based on the history of, sports older guys usually get banged. Up, YEAH i. DON'T i just think WHEN i kind of look at the, league especially THE, afc and the last two, Years i've been pretty successful predicting THE. Afc just who are the best? Coaches AND i, mean you give Me Boon knicks and you give Me Sean. Payton now the rookie season's, done it's gonna be a good football. Team led THE nfl in sacks last. Year upgrade of their, Defense denver is gonna be a good.
Speaker 2: TEAM i think they had a chance to be REALLY i think they got a chance to be really. Good if Bo knicks takes a big. STEP i, mean they have the top defense in the. League why couldn't they win twelve thirteen?
Speaker 1: GAMES i FEEL i THINK i talked about this, Too. John last year was the first time in my life that THE nfl felt a little like THE, nba where there were about eight teams at the bottom that could not compete at the. Bottom last year was, big AND i think this is the result of ten years of the ascension of importance for quarterback and offensive, players is that there is one way to win in this league now mostly a really high end, coach preferably on, offense and a really good quarterback with at LEAST b TO b plus, protection good solid. Protection those teams are winning the. Division that's why THE afc is so easy to predict every, year because it's If Joe burrow had. Production they're one of the harder teams to predict because they have such cheap, ownership mediocre front, office and battle lines With. Burrow So cincinnati's always, like, YEAH i, Know burrow's, great but you, Know hendrickson's a circus the. Ownership BUT i think if you start looking around this, league THE nba has always had like eight teams that are, unwatchable like just can't. Compete AND i Think washington was getting to, That LIKE i can't Watch washington Play Jaden daniels one. Player Forget Dan quinn And cliff. Kingsbreak Jaden daniels made them must watch. Television it's, like, WOW. Cj, Stroud houston nothing Against Demiko. Ryans C. J stroud's, like, Oh houston's on all, Right Tank, Dell, okay now we got offensive guys. There Me tunzel at the time was. There, okay let's. Go and SO i THINK i think THE, nfl in my, opinion is getting easier to, Predict Like dallas don't have a good enough coaching, staff don't have a good enough, roster two star quarterbacks in the. Division dallas is not a playoff. Team that's an easy. ONE i think one of the hardest teams in the. League you're convincing me Is Green bay BECAUSE i used to make fun of The. Packers i'm, like three, YEARS i have more footage of The Lockness monster Than Jordan. Love they're hiding, him and then he comes out for about eight, Games i'm, like holy, Shit Jordan loves gonna whip This kid's. Good and then last year he, struggled BUT i think a lot of it was. Injuries Green bay is one of the only teams in the league that if you told me they finish third or, first and There's, Denver i'm with. YOU i Think denver's if they do finish, third they're a playoff, team but they could finish they could win the. DIVISION i absolutely Green bay is one of the only Teams i'm, LIKE i like, Them BUT i think THE nfc over a kind of a three year when the quarterbacks were getting. Old there's about a three year window Where dallas has winning more games that they would not have won in THE. AFC i DON'T i think THE nfc has taken a couple of leaps here in this past. YEAR i don't know what to do with Green, bay but everybody ELSE i kind of have a vibe.
Speaker 2: On, YEAH i think their teams from like one to eight are. Better their quarterback. SITUATION i, mean the stars playing the other conference, now If Jalen hurts can back up that, season If golfkins stay, healthy A perdy can have a good. Year, Obviously Jordan Love Baker, Mayfield it's not like there's not star power there can Save donald throw thirty five touchdowns In. Seattle Matt stafford still, plays so it's not like they actually, lack they just don't, have you, know what looks like be Four hall Of famers In stafford probably will end up getting in if he plays a couple more. Years one thing that's changed dramatically, though and this is an advantage To Green bay and depending on the cycle of your. Team it's LIKE i had a guy in the league tell me this probably a year. Ago he's, like the players and the agents have a little more juice now because there's so much more. Money it's not quite THE, nba but there's some middle. Ground it's not like what the there used to, be like one hold out every couple of, years definitely in the nineties and maybe the early two, thousands and it would be a PROMINENT. Emmittt, smith you, know someone just a. Superstar now like half the league has like three. Guys they're, Like i'm not showing up training, camp and Is Juwan jennings Like i'm making seven and a, HALF i need like twenty five million. Dollars and then obviously The minca or THE. Tj, watt The Micah parsons like, that they're Guys Trey, hendrickson guys all over the league the second. Round have you been following the story on the second round, Picks it's like they're all two. Guys there have been two of the whatever thirty two have signed. Contracts those two got their contract fully. Guaranteed no one else is signed because forever it was.
Speaker 1: Like the first round.
Speaker 2: Picks you, know the fifth year option, is we don't know if that's gonna get picked up or, not but your first four years are. Guaranteed, well second, rounders like you notice if a guy sucked it within a couple of, years they were cut or traded or like whatever get rid of.
Speaker 1: Them we're usually a first round.
Speaker 2: Pick even IF i don't pick up his fifth year, option more than likely he's gonna play out those first four years on my team Because i'm paying. Him where these agents now are like why you drafted me forty thro? OVER i want my entire contract. Guarantee and there's just so MUCH i, mean everyone's kind of anointing THE nfl how much money they're, making how much, Money, well the more you get, that like in any, industry people got their hands in the cookie jar and want their. Money so it's one. Thing the stars want their, money the mid tier guys want their. Money the agents are all. Involved it's gonna be fascinating to watch in. Basketball they just kind of capitulated to, like if you're just an average, star here's two hundred and fifty million. Dollars Chet, holmer an average is like fifteen to. Eight he weighs one hundred and thirty. Pounds they give him two hundred fifty million. Dollars it's, like you couldn't have he couldn't have gotten.
Speaker 1: One it's.
Speaker 2: Crazy the NFL's always battled back against.
Speaker 1: That. Right they've always.
Speaker 2: Even when You're Aaron donald Or Patrick, mahomes like you typically have To Lamar jackson took him about five. Years he's arguing for his. Money it's kind of going the other way where it's LIKE. Tj, wats, like what are you gonna? Do play without? ME i doubt you. Will and he knows, That like these teams have the money, now so it's it's it's shifting a little. Bit AND i do think the next five, years as this money continues to, flow it's gonna get. Uglier The packers are a good. Example they don't really have anyone that's arguing because they got no one to. Pay where The niners Got Jawan, jennings who's there two years, Ago he's like the fourth wide. Receiver he's, Like i'm not showing up until you either trade me or pay. Me it's, like oh, shit but he's not a. LUNG i, mean this happens all over the league, Now SO i think sometimes when you have a, situation Remember Chris, jones was it two years, ago first game of the. Season he's sitting with those two agents that looked like they were in. Goodfellas he's just watching the, game you, know from the. Stands so it's like these players now that there's so much money on the.
Speaker 1: Line, well, right Also, john because there is one way to win now mostly offensive coaches and a star. Quarterback well that also has put a premium ON i, mean we always knew left tackles, mattered centers who call all the protections, matter and wide receivers. Mattered but now because of the value of the, quarterback, centers left tackles. WEAPONS i, mean Sa Kwon, barkley everybody was crying that running backs won't get. Paid, well if you have a young if you have a young. Quarterback you need to have a running back like you need a running. Back SO i, THINK i, think WHAT'S i think what's happened in? Football it's been there's more winners than. Losers like you're seeing a little bit of a re emergence of safeties and some of these young coaches like safeties linebackers is still you KNOW i, mean but Like Sean payton's out off a serious, injury give Me Dray. Greenlaw SO i think what's happened is as football doesn't have the analytics of basketball or, baseball nor to. Soccer BUT i do think there are premium positions. NOW i think you have to be really good at about six. Spots, coach, quarterback left, tackle defensive interior or pass, rusher two, weapons not just, one and preferably somebody in that secondary that is a, playmaker somebody that you can lock. On and as the money pours, in it feels like the PREVIOUS cba in THE, nba where guys Like lebron made more and then the bottom didn't make nearly as much as you thought. THEY i think what's happening WITH Cbas i'm seeing this with. Networks i'm seeing this with a lot of industries in. Tech there's a wide gap in THE. Nfl and if you're in that have position that you help the quarterback or pursue the other team's. Quarterback there's SOME nba money now coming.
Speaker 2: Forward, well If Juwan jennings asked me for, Advice i'd, Go, juwan you are eighty catches. Away so back to back years of being really productive to hitting free agency because, inners it's not like they're gonna you, know look at guys when they hit free, agency they get fifty percent over what they should. Get you might get sixty seventy million dollars guaranteed Because Jamar chase And Ceedee lamb and none of those type guys ever sniffed free. Agency you might be the apple of everyone's. Eye you might be the best wide. Receiver so you just got to make it to Their look At Kirk, cousins you. Know SO I the other thing is offensive. Linemen you know, GUARDS i used to think they were the most WHEN i worked in THE. Nfl like you can find a guard center. Anywhere have the guards make like twenty million dollars? Now because in, fairness most teams have a pretty good interior pass rusher and like you, said it went. Forever it's, like, well we need a left tackle because we had to Protect Joe montana From Lawrence. Taylor well now it's, like, well who's gonna Block Jalen carter because if you just throw some average guarter, center you're gonna get the quarterback. Killed look At Caleb williams last year their interior, offensive he had no, shot, Right so it's like you have to have a Good it's why you, know the haves and the have. Nots Even Patrick mahomes they got. Lucky he can kind of he has great instincts and can and can scramble away from. Trouble but like if you cannot block the inside that offensive, line now you are getting the story before. It guards and centers were like they were viewed to me as the most replaceable all the, league and they're not.
Speaker 1: Anymore, Yeah SO i mean it's, listen we camp start. Here what's the date, today so that we're doing this on the was that? Thirteenth what is the date? Today? Fourteenth so camps start? Next is it?
Speaker 2: OFFICIALLY i think every team's a little you, know a lot of teams have rookies show up sometime this week and a lot of the, veterans typically early. TWENTIES i always look at it by the end Of, july everyone will be on a field with pads on by probably the Latest july thirty first Or august, First so we're still probably you, know two weeks away from actual ball being, played but we'll be an ota version here in probably ten. Days but to, me that first day every team is in, pads that's when you get real stuff going, on and you, know find out who can, play because right now half the league is pretty excited about fourth, rounders sixth, rounders third, rounders and then those pads come on and that, guy you, know within a couple of days, like, whoa we might need to trade for a backup tight end because this guy's a little.
Speaker 1: Overwhelmed, yeah IT'S i. Am it was funny WHEN i was on, VACATION i WAS i. Did i'd stay off my phone, mostly But i'd get the iPad AND i do a lot of reading on vacation. Books ANYTHING i don't want to. POST i don't want to you, KNOW i have NO i was on the phone one day for about ten minutes And i'm, LIKE i don't care about bitcoin or The epstein. Files this is no place for me over the next ten, days So i'm. Out but it's it's interesting that you, know As i'm you, know reading all the stuff on THE nfl is THAT i used to FEEL i really. DID i think there was a part in my career about six years AGO i felt LIKE nfl season and waiting FOR nfl. Season BUT i think there's two or three things in sports that have happened THAT i sat and. WATCHED i, mean, dude did you ever think you would care about THE. Wnba Caitlin clark was on last week And i'm, like, oh the. TELEVISION i want to watch. Her i'll be honest with, YOU i was just about done with college basketball and it pulled me back in this. Year but AS i was reading all this stuff about the upcoming football, SEASON i want to ask you a question about college. Football we'll end it with. This so IF i, said using last five years his, momentum what is your high school recruiting base and YOUR nil commitment and what is your coaching staff? Like so the four, things what's your current productivity and momentum for five, Years i'm going to give you five years your high school recruiting still has to be, elite and YOUR nil commitment has to be big boy. Like that's what Separates oregon And. Washington oregon's all in and, It washington's. Reluctant USC's all. In ucla is limited and, reluctant and the coaching. Staff SO i came up with my take on over the last five. Years, Now michigan's the hardest Because i'm so much of It's. Harbaugh BUT i thought the top five programs in college football right now for the last five years and the direction they're going Because alabama's HAVING nil problems and This kaitlin De bor is a great, coach but they haven't felt the. Same i'd Say Ohio state, One georgia, Two texas, Three oregon, Four Notre dame, five and Then Michigan Penn. STATE i don't quite know what to do With michigan because it's All Jim. Harbaugh that was kind of my six or. Seven so, Again Ohio, State, GEORGIA i Had. Alabama let's See Ohio, State, Georgia, Texas, Oregon Notre, Dame. Bama THEN i Had Michigan Penn. State my first take, is oh, SHIT i got More big ten teams THAN sec teams or three and. Three so IF i said to, you give me your top six or seven based on staff nil high school recruiting five year, momentum where are?
Speaker 2: You, YEAH i Think Ohio, State, georgia And texas have kind of. Separated like IF i just had to bet on those three programs over the next five, years you would feel really really. CONFIDENT i Think Notre dame and maybe they've loosened. Up the academic requirements can be very, dependent like is it a good couple years of high level smart guys who are great players coming? Out because if it is is whoever's on, Top, Stanford Notre, Dame northwestern can take advantage of that little stretch And Notre dame it feels like it's recruited really. Well SO i think there's a chance they would be in that mix TO i Think texas has the greatest opportunity to like they could, have like especially If arch lives up to the, hype WHICH i.
Speaker 1: SAW i don't know if you.
Speaker 2: Saw like A rogers brother said today that the hype train's out of, control AND i would almost agree a little. Bit it's it's We've he's almost treated Like lebron was At Saint vincent's Or Bryce harper was in high. School on this front of, sports it's this is really really. Hard usually when you get the hype behind, you it's after you, play Like andrew Lockeror Trevor lawrence Or caleb like you you, Know Baker, mayfield like you've played a. Season everyone's, like this guy's, incredible and he's already treated like he's going to be the greatest court better than his. Uncle and it's gonna be, hard especially in that. Conference but if he does live up to the, hype they're going to be an unstoppable force because of the money behind. THEM i do think the one you Know oregon as, well, right they have a financial, ABILITY i would, say a recruiting advantage on The west coast with some of these The pac twelve, splintering you, Know debor. Leaving you, Know jed's, good But debor had proven to be pretty. ELITE a lot of pressure On jed this week this. YEAR usc has just had a weird couple of years That oregon's benefited. From, obviously you, Know billota used to have to recruit AGAINST ucla as, well and it's like it wouldn't even be if you went into a kid's home IN, la you're gonna go To oregon OR. UCLA i, mean the kid wouldn't even hesitate to be a plane At oregon because it's just way better football. PROGRAM i do think THE sec is fascinating how it's gonna play, out THE, lsus the The, Alabamas like, financially can they keep up at the? LEVEL i was watching something recently where he thought the firing of, coaches which got really popular over the last decade because people would just buy this guy out for thirty, million is that dead because of how much you're paying the? Players, like BECAUSE i thought, like, hey If Kaylen debor just has a weird year and won like eight, games when he is buyout seventy five million. Dollars, well people asked me About Lincoln, riley And i'm, like Like i've told, PEOPLE i think they're going to win eight games this. Year they have one elite, player he's probably a top of the second, round mid second round. Player Kamari, ramsey the safety FROM, ucla really good. Player he'll he'll be probably a second round.
Speaker 1: Pick who's their. Quarterback it's the only time In Lincoln riley's CAREER i don't like their quarterback situation at. All the most talented, kids a true, freshman he's not going to go on The Big ten and spin it and be. Dominant and the kid that's, Starting, lincoln likes him more THAN i. Do the UN lv KID i, think you, KNOW i think he's a, gamer but his judgment he just makes too many mistakes for, me And lincoln doesn't like. That so you, KNOW i tell PEOPLE usc is doing a lot of things, right but you can't fire, him and you can't fire LIKE. Lsu, Basically Brian kelly had to basically, Say i'll give you a. Salary we have to start a pillion of the. Course and for the, Record alabama has been public with. It they're asking fans to give one, thousand fifteen. Hundred so where THE nil has? Changed college basketball is our, system our capitalistic. System Trump's. Europe so our universities are Buying europe's best, sixteen seventeen and eighteen year olds right or seventeen and eighteen year. Olds it's really hurt like The spanish, leagues and in football it's hurt The. South The Big ten has massive universities forty thousand, student fifty tho they become, graduates they run, companies they give money back to the. School it's much easier to tap Into Ohio state's fan, base Or michigan's fan, base Or Notre dame's fan. Base and as for ten, thousand thirty thousand dollars from, graduates, Now Notre dame's. Private but a lot of these big ten schools are. MASSIVE sec doesn't have as many of, those and SO i think what you're seeing the reality is is if everybody's allowed to PAY, Usc, Oregon Ohio, State, Michigan Notre, Dame Penn state's got big time. MONEY i think there's a reality as THE sec is looking up at some of these numbers outside Of georgia In texas and they don't have the.
Speaker 2: Funds, well have you followed The Texas tech story the former player that's the billionaire that's funding their. Program they had the number two transfer portal class in this upcoming. Season every one of The big twelve media, Days Kenny Dillingham dion was, like, guys this team is on paper the best team in the. Conference they bought the. TEAM i, MEAN i believe the word. RECRUITING i, remember like WHEN i was in, college ed was huge With pete at Sc. Tosshlupoy remember Ted ford was there were some big time. Recruiters saving had a couple when he took Over urban had a, couple and it was a big. Deal you'd sit out of someone's. Home you'd get to know the, player their high school, coach their. Parents that doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Anymore.
Speaker 2: Kids there's no recruiters who pays, you. RIGHT i mean That's Lank kiffin's been saying this for like three. Years this is a black and white. Business, now there's no he likes me more than this next. Guy if that guy's offering four hundred grand and we're offer one hundred and, FIFTY i don't care that his mom likes.
Speaker 1: Me he always.
Speaker 2: Goes it's very rare that we've seen like ash and Genty state At Boise, state when even the coach was, like he turned down a lot of money to stay. Here so those days are. Done so WHEN i See Texas tech and they have this. Billionaire you, know if you told Me Oklahoma state And Tea Boon, pickens who's passed away it was thirty years, Ago i'd be, like that's a huge advantage Having Tea Boon Pickens Oklahoma, state but it. Changed he passed away The nike dynasty and that operation still. Operating phil still. Around if he passes, AWAY i would just, say you never.
Speaker 1: Know, well, yeah all you could do in The Phil night era was build the best. Facilities, yeah those were. Impressive but let me tell you. Something having a nice locker and having twenty five thousand dollars in your, pocket what are you gonna? Choose but here's the.
Speaker 2: Thing and EVEN i mean we're brown bagging. KIDS i mean we're talking twenty, grand, right thirty grand now where you're talking. Hundreds i'm not even talking to the, quarterbacks which is clearly in the. Millions just a solid recruit by costa several hundreds of thousands of. DOLLARS i know someone who has a rental property in a college town that rented their house to a rotational defensive lineman for That DIVISION i football, team and obviously you see the their, income and he was, like this guy is making hundreds of thousands of. Dollars this guy is not some lock draft. Pick is a rotational transfer portal guy that got paid several hundred thousand dollars and a program THAT i would say is not giving away. Money so when you're talking To georgia's The Ohio, states SOMETIMES i think people think like they're not really twenty thirty million dollars. Payrolls, no, guys this Is i'm telling You my scouting buddies say they go to these schools and there their player parking lots are as, nice if not, nicer because some of these guys are you, know they don't even. Realize and some of These mercedes dealerships than THEIR nfl, teams and they drive nicer. Cars and the, coaches you, know there's only a couple of coaches on staff now that make more than if you have a star.
Speaker 1: Quarterback so how you handle that.
Speaker 2: Dynamic the other thing, is AND i think about this a lot, too like the college FOOTBALL i grew up. On let's Use Matt lionard as an. Example played AT usc for five. Years these are relationships with his. Teammates you, know he lived in a small Apartment i'm sure for several, years even as they kind of grew in. Popularity his lifestyle wasn't anything near Like Caleb, williams but his relationships with that team by their last couple of years playing, together these guys have practice. Together they know each, other they know each other's. Family they have a strong build or built, relationship right Like Travis, Kelce Chris, Jones. Mahomes these guys know each.
Speaker 1: Other really really.
Speaker 2: Well those days are. Done guys are moving left and. Right you barely know this is still football in that game when it's tight game and you're, playing you, know in a cold. Environment if you're A usc and you're playing At Penn state and It's november, first you're, like do you even know the guy next to? You that's that part of. Football AND i think the basketball has really shown, This like basketball is a lot like football that, way where, chemistry cohesion, matters and these guys jump around. Teams it's like it's hard to build that chemistry and that cohesion and that you, know in a weird way.
Speaker 1: Like love of the other.
Speaker 2: Guy i'm fighting for this guy as much as the. Coach so you just kind of never. Know, Now like you, Said Georgia, tech they have the best, rosters BUT i don't think you can just chalk one of those. Up Like Ohio state got hot at the right time and they want, it but they folded Against michigan and they actually had a lot of guys coming. Back so some of these, teams these transferport LIKE lsu top transfer portal. Team you convinced, me if it all comes together they win twelve, games it wouldn't be shocked if they wont.
Speaker 1: EIGHT i don't. Know, YEAH i think the transfer, PORTAL, Lsu colorado AND usc have used it a, lot and all of them have lacked a certain chemistry and for sure. SPOTS i think you have to have. DISCRETION i still think you should be a seventy five. PERCENT i wouldn't go as dire As, clemson which is like anti, portal But i'd be like seventy five. Percent, RECRUITING i think if you can bring in again you need a left, guard you need to you, know you need the interior defensive. TACKLE i would. LOOK i would try to find like five to six starters a, year BUT i don't want. TEN i don't want to.
Speaker 2: Think that's easy to, say, Though but what if you don't have the best recruits and all of a, sudden you look like we can get these three guys that are immediately, better and there's so much money on the, line it's hard to say. No if the transfer, portal wouldn't you just see.
Speaker 1: THEM i think. PROOF i think for certain positions like quarterback or elite corner or like just elite interior defensive. Linemen BUT i think, AGAIN i think there's running backs and. WHY i, mean, LIKE usc should never pay wide. Receivers i'm, sorry in Southern, CALIFORNIA i don't want you pay wide. Receivers, dude you got. There there's thirty a year in Southern. CALIFORNIA i don't WANT usc paying big money for, safeties, linebackers. Corners there's just too much talent. Here quarterback you're going to have to. Pay but it's BECAUSE i had a discussion with somebody AT, usc AND i, said you, know you're paying positions that you should never pay AT. Usc you should not pay for, now if you need a sixth wide receiver From Boise, state you can't be paying wide receivers AT. Usc it would be you, know to, me it's like paying for running backs At. Georgia the state Of florida And. GEORGIA i mean, again maybe you pay a little bit to if you need like a, starter but there are certain regions of the country that just produce certain. Players and it's SO i don't, Know I'm I'M i think you create this weird ecosystem when you got nine guys Driving. Benz IT'S i don't, KNOW i don't. Love i'm not against players making a lot of, money BUT i Think i've WATCHED lsu AND usc And colorado really, divide like the room is like rich, guy not rich, guy and it's to me it feels weird over the course of a. Season do you alienate?
Speaker 2: Players, well the other thing is What i've heard, stories you know from my scouting, buddies is like the star.
Speaker 1: Quarterback, well think about.
Speaker 2: It there's a lot of star, quarterbacks but only a small percentage of them we would consider really good players live in this really expensive house a lot of, times like by. Themselves so historically everyone had roommates on the. Team those days are kind of done because all these guys are so. Rich it's, like why WOULDN'T i just rent a huge house by.
Speaker 1: MYSELF i don't need to have any.
Speaker 2: Roommates so that creates a divide of just the human element of these guys are, eighteen, nineteen twenty years. Old there's resentment in THE. Nfl you don't think there's going to become resentments, like, wait we're paying this guy this. Much i've been on the program for three. Years he's making quadruple What i'm, making AND i watched him in these. Games he folds like a. Tent SO i think it is a really really big challenge at college football to that dynamic of the wealth. Gap when we talk about the wealth gap a lot in, society you talk about college. FOOTBALL i mean all these, guys because the other thing, is if you're, young you're going to open your mouth and say what you're, making kind of show off. Off, sure everyone in that locker room knows who's making.
Speaker 1: What, yeah and then like you could, say, well it exists in pro, sports but there's a hierarchy to. IT i think it's weird to just all of a sudden you have a receiver and you go buy a wide receiver From louisville and now he makes more than like your junior who had eighty two catches last. Year it's, like that's. Weird that's a weird vibe in a locker. Room that's WHY i think in THE, Nfl john free agency discretion is maybe the Most Chris balder had said this. Before don't go shop in the first two, days explosive way to the, third the fourth, day seek. VALUE i think you create weird dynamics on a college. Campus all. Right, Finally John rahm finished Second spain The Live Golf. Tour now we go to The British. Open what's your vibe going into?
Speaker 2: It, well It's rory's, hometown so it's uh also fired. Up, yeah it's you, know he played well last week in The Scottish. Open to, me, THOUGH i Think rory Or John rahm is winning this. Tournament John, ram you, know last year obviously he made the transition to live you, KNOW i think it was a tough transition for. HIM i think this year he's really gained his. Footing he easily could have won THE. Pga he was essentially tied for the lead With scotty and he kind of fell apart the last couple of. Holes but it was, like this is The John ram who has won THE Us open and won The. Masters he's got a lot of. Momentum Obviously spain's a home game for. Him BUT i Think, JOHN i, mean this tournament is always, unique, Right it's on early in the, morning the, weather it's fifty mile an hour, wins it's rain and it's just you, know in the history of. Golf the best players have won this. Tournament and it's one On John rahm's. Resume LIKE i, think when it's all said and, done if you tell, Me, Scotti scheffler And John rahm are the two guys of this era After rory that win The Grand, SLAM i, mean win every major LIKE i could see. That and you, Know scotty has not played well across the.
Speaker 1: Pond a lot more.
Speaker 2: Variables right, wind it's not A bryson event, either you, know scientific you got, wind he.
Speaker 1: Can't he.
Speaker 2: Can't the greens are a little, slower you got, rain the balls were.
Speaker 1: Weird you.
Speaker 2: Know rom is one of those guys that would have succeeded in the, sixties in the. Nineties right now he can play in any.
Speaker 1: ERA i Think.
Speaker 2: Rom you could argue IS i Think rory is? Right he's not technically the betting Favorite scotty. Is but IF i had to handicap, THIS i would Have John rohm right there With. Rory Be i'm going to bet On John rahm this week for.
Speaker 1: Sure, well and as money has increased over the last you, know Since Tiger, woods you, know people are kind of. Mystified what's going on With rory, McElroy but he was on a hunting mission For augusta for fifteen. Years he got, it AND i think there was a. WAKE i think there was just this wake of emotion and he kind of acknowledged. It it's hard to get up and spend three hours in the sun in the late, spring in the summer grinding at. Golf you Win, augusta you want time. OFF i think this from The augusta win until this week playing on his home course, OVERSEAS i think everything else but in between that is a. BLUR i think at this point in his career it's big game. Hunting he is going for the biggest AND i think you're allowed to do. THAT i, mean and then you add that when guys took the money For live WHICH i always, RESPECTED i was, like, hey you, KNOW i got no problem with guys doing. That THE pga doesn't run The, masters it doesn't run THE Us, open it doesn't run The British i'm not loyal to THE. Pga i'm loyal to. Golfers i'm loyal To Brooks, Keepkar Phil mickelson Or rory. McElroy and my take is the finances of golf From tiger to The Live tour have, changed and guys are making. Choices it's like stars don't want to play in The Pro bowl in THE. Nfl stars make. Choices you don't Find Christian pulisic want doesn't want to play in The Gold. Cup lebron doesn't want to play in The Feeble World. Cup that's the reality of sports now in the last ten to.
Speaker 2: Fifteen AND i, think you, Know rom is a good. Example over the last couple of, Years scotty had This tiger like. Season rory now wins The. Masters he's anointed as like the you, know one of the great players of all. Time and it was Like rom got lost in the shuffle a couple of years. Ago it was like this guy's the Chubby sevy. Bollsteros this guy's gonna win a bunch of. Majors he's gonna be and then he kind of didn't have a great major season two years. Ago this year already back to back top tens in THE, us opening THE, Pga and to, me, he you, know international, players A Ryder cup guy used to, PLAYING i mean grew, up did not grow up in The. STATES i think those sometimes those guys have an advantage of we get spoiled over. HERE i mean all golf. Courses you were just playing a golf. Course i'm sure it was well, kept you, Know. Scotty scotty's over there at The Scottish open complaining about the green. Speed it's, like, Yeah, scotty their grass isn't perfect over. Here it's fifty degrees ten months a. Year This this Isn't, Dallas texas perfectly Manicure. Bermuda you. Know so those guys, typically to, me are a little. More it's what Made tiger pretty. Special you could put him. Anywhere you can put them the greatest, course greatest manicured, Course. Augusta you could throw him In asia and he'd be ready to kick ass and take. NAMES a lot of people thought That rohm had that kind of edge to, him Unless go To live threw him off a little. BIT i think he's. COMING i think it's him And rory this. WEEK i like those two guys a.
Speaker 1: Lot you can't wait it's gonna. BE i THOUGHT i thought That sunday At augusta With rory was a top TEN i mean that's how STRONGLY i felt that was a top TEN tv moment for me if you, could if you, can you, know and and by the, Way tiger Rock O media EIGHT Us open also hard to, be hard to, Be but there have been.
Speaker 2: Two or three Iconic i'd, Say i'd say The faldough melt or The norman, Meltdown feul, Meltdown vanderveld late nineties Meltdown British. Open but he wasn't a famous, guy was just as he wanted to. WORK i would Say tigers twenty. Nineteen you know that long stretch he had winning that was pretty. Cool BUT i would say The rory, moment the build up, THAT i would say the golf splintering, right so he and he became such a famous.
Speaker 1: Guy versus this kind of.
Speaker 2: Crew BUT i think that these majors now feel they feel amped up, right maybe feel on a different.
Speaker 1: Leave they've always been, big makes them.
Speaker 2: Big but you, KNOW i think this thing is gonna be really really big this.
Speaker 1: Week especially for the most, part we have had huge.
Speaker 2: Names win, recently, Right rory's The bryson's, Right scotti's rom, like this isn't the little engine that could ain't coming around. Anymore so IT'S i would expect the big boys and uh, LIKE i, THINK i THINK rom twelve to one when you're Talking scotty And rory are both six seven to.
Speaker 1: ONE i mean it's pretty good, value all. Right John, middlecoff FORMER nfl, scout three and outs of this. Podcast we chopped it up for an. Hour good, stuff, Buddy Thanks colin the volume