Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, I'm welcome to di could Happen Here. My name is Dan el Kerd, and I'm a researcher and analyst of Arab and Palestinian politics. Today I'm joined by Edia Yub, who is a Palstinian Lebanese writer and researcher as well as a podcaster with the podcast The Fire These Times and from the Periphery Media Collective. And today he's speaking to us about the recent agreement between Lebanon and Israel related to Israel's continued occupation of the southern part of Lebanon and continued bombardment. So he's going to talk to us about what the agreement says, why there are so many problems and concerns related to disagreement and how it fits into the broader regional war against Iran.
Speaker 4: Adia.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 6: Us, Hi, thank you for having me again.
Speaker 3: So today we're going to be discussing, as I mentioned in the intro, the agreement between Lebanon and Israel, the Framework, which has been quite controversial. So I wanted to just give you an opportunity to give a brief explainer. What is this agreement.
Speaker 7: So it's technically like it tried lands, the framework in the sense that it includes legally anyway, the US, Israel, and Lebanon. Ostensibly, like what it says it does is that it proposes some kind of future in which Lebanon and Israel, which have been in the factor state of war for basically forever, to no longer be in that the factor state of war. The problem, which probably won't surprise like the audience of this podcast, the problem is sort of in the details, like what is it that Lebanon has signed. If you look on the website itself, it's on the American government's website, there are fourteen points.
Speaker 6: It's roughly on thousand.
Speaker 7: I don't know, three hundred words or so, and already you see what's absent, which is the terms like withdraworld and of occupation any of that. There's basically no stipulation whatsoever that the Israelis have to leave Lebanon, and you'll have people who support the zero sell. Well, technically that's not true, because it says here in number two, Government of Israel and Government of Lebanon commit to reciprocal sequence process with clear conditions, whereby the LAF, which is the Lebanese Armed Forces, whether he's store effective sovereign authority over all of Lebanes's territory. And here is the grub Um quoting pending the verified disarmament of non state armed groups and dismantlement of associated infrastructure, enabling the idea of the defense forces to progressively redeploy out of Lebanin's territory.
Speaker 6: What it essentially says, and the various.
Speaker 7: Points we don't have to go through all of them essentially confirm this time time again is that Israel will get to define, will get to decide when an area that Israel is occupying, as in the Debanese territory that Israel is occupying, when.
Speaker 6: That area is officially disarmed.
Speaker 7: When it is no longer a quote on quote security thread the Debinese state has no say in the matter. There's no independent, like un type mechanism that would determine that. It's just Israel that gets to define that. And what they're currently they're currently doing, which is what the Lebanese government has agreed to, which is part of the controversy that we'll get into, is that they're creating these two so called pilot zones, which are among it in the territory that is THEAD is currently occupying in Lebanon, in which they will allow the LAF, the Debinese owned forces to progressively assert its I'm putting this in quotation. You can't see it like assert is a sovereign territorial control. But and here again is the kind of the devil in the detail. The Lebanese army cannot actually enforce anything that would still be the authority of the Israeli army, which again is the one that is currently illegally occupying southern Lebanon. So yeah, we can get into more of the details, but that's sort of in a nutshell why it's so bad.
Speaker 6: But I can get into more why it's bad as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we'd like to talk about all the bad, So before we get into like all the bad Where does Hasbola play into any of this?
Speaker 6: Well, unsurprisingly, Hasbella opposes this.
Speaker 7: In fact, I don't think a majority of the political parties currently in the Libanese parliament support this, if I'm not mistaken, which is one of the reasons why I don't think this particular agreement, which is the latest of so many agreements between the Americans, Israelis and the Delibanese, at least at the official level, I don't see this lasting very long. Hezbolla has immediately said that this is a humiliation, it's surrendered its defeat, which is not that unusual. That's sort of how they've been talking about these negotiations for since they started. Really and it declared them declared this agreement null and void, which they cannot get more more stit forward than that. Their main ally in parliament i e. The Amal movement has also come out to oppose this, which is a big deal because that's the speaker of parliament. Lebanon is ruled by this kind of troika, so he's one or one out of three, which is a big problem for the other two. And yeah, I kind of genuinely don't see this lasting, but I am also worried about what can come next.
Speaker 3: I mean, the fact that Israel is again the unilateral you know, judge jury executioner here exactly obviously is a very big problem. But what other issues do you foresee with disagreement.
Speaker 7: I worry that the Lebanese government, in at first having some I think understandable concerns over Iran's rule and Lebanon, and we can get into that, has sort of I don't know how you would describe it, maybe over corrected and gone a bit too anti Iran, which in and of itself I.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't necessarily oppose.
Speaker 7: I'm not a fan of the Islamic Republic, to put it mildly, and I've always opposed has Balaf as long as I can remember. But the timing of doing what they've been doing, and I can get into it now, has been I think, very to put it charitably, very puzzling, but I think also like very very short sighted and frankly rectless and dangerous. This is all while Israel is bombing Lebanon. I should say, if this was any context where there was no active war, I wouldn't have as big of an issue with it. But they've declared the Ionian ambassador to Lebanon to be persona non grata. They've taken down photos of the Aetola by the road to the airport and replaced it with lubnan Aulan, which is like Lebanon. First, they've deported like members of the IOGC, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, and done a bunch of other even like rhetorical things like the president would go on Twitter and say like Elon get out and stuff like that. The president of Lebanon, which again I have one thousand and one issues with the Iranian role in Lebanon, and including my issue with Hazbola, but there's only one country that is currently actually occupying Lebanon military and actually bombing Lebanon militarily with its military I mean, and that country is not Iran. So the priorities of the government in wanting to distance itself from Hasbola's actions, which I should say have been controversial from the beginning because Hesbolla took a unionatural decision to enter the war against Israel, a decision that was not made with like the rest of Lebanon's approval. So it's been like controversial from the start. And that's what I meant by like the charitable interpretation is that the Lebanese government sort of overcorrected and instead, by attempting, supposedly to distance itself from Iran, what has actually done is made us even more dependent on the United States than we used to be before.
Speaker 3: Right, So that's where the things you're describing under normal circumstances to be like, yeah, like why is I run so embedded in a lot of these different countries in the region, and why does it have such an interventionist role? But you're saying it's reckless in this context where the Lebanese government is basically making itself more more at the mercy of actors like the United States and Israel by proxy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as of now, like and I really tried my best to look for some leverage that Lebanon might have, but as of now, I don't actually see any leverage that Lebanon has.
Speaker 6: It's basically we hope for the best.
Speaker 7: Like I wish I could put it differently, but it essentially is under the hope that, like the Trump administration instared of Ntanyahu, that it might fall you know, force day israelis to either withdraw from Lebanon, or to adverely stop the bombing or whatnot, which I've seen no evidence of. And as of now, every time a so called ceasefire has been signed that even has bottle like Grito, the only thing that it's done is that Hezbollah would not respond to Israeli bombings. So the Israeli bombings have been constant throughout this entire thing. Ceasefire or no ceasefire, since the agreement was signed, they've continued.
Speaker 6: They haven't stopped.
Speaker 7: As of time of recording, over four th two hundred Lebanese have been killed since the beginning of this latest war, so not even since the beginning since twenty twenty three, but twenty twenty six alone, because Israel does not discriminate and how they bomb. So to give you the example of those two so called pilot zones, are they even inhabitable as of now?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Because of the fifty four towns and villages Lebanese towns and villages that the Israelis militarily occupy, at least forty six of them that we know of, are either partially or entirely demolished.
Speaker 6: So what are those security zones?
Speaker 7: What does that even mean, you know, but again it is the entire problem now is that they get to decide all of that. And again with all of my issues with Iran, the agreement that the Lebanese have signed with the Israelis, I think is objectively worse than the MEMORANDUV understanding that the Iranians signed with the Americans that actually also included Lebanon, because at least in that AMYU and thatment of understanding, it included the sentence territorial integrity and sovereignty of Lebanon, as well as the call for seasfire, which was a nightmare for Nataniahu.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Iran more specifically for a moment. I mean, Lebanon has taken out, the ambassador has made all of these kind of rhetorical shifts away from the Iranian regime. Obviously display for the US and for Israel. But Iran, how has it responded, How has the government responded, and how does this agreement relate to the MLU that Iran signed with the United States.
Speaker 7: So it's quite complicated because the MoU was signed just about a week or so before. So the deal between the Ionians and the Americans was signed roughly a Dean or agreed upon. I don't know if they signed these things roughly a week before this one, the one between Israel and Lebanon via America that hypotheitle one, as they call it. One interpretation that I've seen is that by going directly to Lebanon, America actually managed to bypass these kind of bullet points that Iran was putting forward. So like let's say Iran is saying, what lebt there should be ceasefire in Lebanon and that there should be like territorial integrity and sovereignty. In the meantime, the Lebanese state is saying to Iran, like, you do not negotiate on our behalf. So the Americans go to Lebanon directly, or rather Lebanon goes to the American and they superseded, they supersede this and they do negotiation, or they they get the Lebanese to sign this latest agreement directly, which of course does not include Iran anyway. So the main difference is between the MoU between America and Iran and the agreement between let's say Israel and Lebanon, is that Israel had no parts whatsoever in the MoU, and if it had come to pass. If the Iranians had basically gotten what they were asking for, the Americans would have been forced, at least legally, to pressure the Israelis to leave Lebanon all together. No ifs and bots, no negotiated exit whatever that means, no making up pilot zones, none of that stuff. It would just be you've been doing this occupation illegally. You need to leave, as simple as that. That's been the Iranian position, which is not a position that most Lebanies would disagree with, because it is.
Speaker 3: Just the fact, right, And it's interesting, I mean, obviously we don't want to speculate, but it is interesting that Iran made the ceasefire in Lebanon so kind of central to a lot of their demands, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's not that surprising to me, I think, because they see this as saving has Bottler, so like it's it's like it's almost like an easy thing to do.
Speaker 6: It doesn't cost them anything. In a sense.
Speaker 7: It would have cause put pressure on the Israelis, which they're happy to do since Israel and America started the war against Iran in the first place, and it would you know, give some kind of breathing space for their main ally in Lebanon, which is has Botler. Yeah, So any and of itself, I don't think it's surprising that they included it. Maybe they knew that Lebanon would have rejected officially given the position of the Lebanese government you know thus far, and I can't know for sure, but yeah, and in of itself, it doesn't surprise me that they went for this because one other thing I should say that they were proposing in that MoU is a so called deconfliction cell, the details of which are not entirely clear to me yet and at this point may never happen anyway. But the way it's been interpreted that I saw is that it would see its influence in Lebanon historied. So there's also like a self interest in all of that, but not in a militarily occupying way. So for me, it's not that the option has been either an amazing option or a bad option. It's more like either we get the Iran option, which is not ideal but self functional, or a catastrophic option, which is the one that we actually got with these RAA.
Speaker 3: Its right, And I mean we've had some episodes about Iran. I've hosted a few people about Iran, and I think it bears repeating that their strategy, their ability to kind of withstand even this level of severe warfare in the latest escalation, has depended on their allies in the region and kind of the diffusion of Iranian power to nonstate actors essentially. So, what was the public reaction to the Lebanese government signing this agreement? The Lebanese public reaction, to be clear, Yeah.
Speaker 7: The most immediate reaction on this hit has been by of course, by Hesballa, and it's ally mL in which they you know, they burned stuff down, they yelled, they threw stuff at the cops and stuff like that. The Secretary General of Hasballa, as I said, has declared did not avoid and so on. As for the rest of the country, there hasn't been any kind of mobilization against it, but they shouldn't be interpreted as consent. It's more, I think, in my view that the Lebanese population as a whole has been exhausted by nearly three years of war now and there is an appetite for kind of diplomacy. In fact, there's been a pole, a nation white pole that was just released a few days ago that says that roughly fifty four percent of the population support the plomacy versus thirty five percent that support armed resistance. Now the fift and that support the plomacy, which is you know, not just over half. It's not because they believe this is the best option. It's more that they believe I think, this is my interpretation. It's more that I think most people genuinely believe that there are no other options. So it's more like, I think a reflection of how desperate the situation is more than anything else. It should not be confused with any kind of like warming up towards Israel. And that sample, which again was Nationloyd, eighty seven percent of people in Lebanon identified Israel as their main enemy versus fifty one percent that identified America and thirty eighty percent that identified Iran.
Speaker 6: And this is a cost sects.
Speaker 7: So usually when you see the reporting, you could be led to believe that it's only Shiahs and Lebanon that opposed Israel, but actually it is really a cost sect that Israel is a deeply unpopular state in Lebanon, which is not surprising because it's been bombing Lebanon for on and off of decades now, right.
Speaker 3: You've written about this for nine seven two mag you have another article coming out, I'm sure, or it's already out. I'm not sure, but I will definitely link it in the show notes by the time this episode airs. Is there anything you feel like we missed and that listeners should know.
Speaker 6: It's very difficult to know where things are heading in terms of the security situation in Lebanon. I would argue that kind of.
Speaker 7: The specter of a civil war, whatever that actually looks like, is never too far away, and hasn't been too far away for a while now. I don't think it's likely in the traditional sense of like multiple armed actors in the near future, largely because I think the population is really exhausted.
Speaker 6: But there israelly.
Speaker 7: War on Lebanon has created kind of this fault line that's very very difficult, I think to overcome now. And it's not again a fault line between pro isiin and anti Israel. Both sides of this fault line are technically anti Israel. It's more of like what the priority should be for the Lebanese states and sense for a lot of people who are from southern Lebanon that is currently as we're speaking, still being bombed. It is giving the sense that the rest of the country is abandoning them, and the sort of grievances is quite literally what gave us has Buddler in the first place. Hazbola was created in the mid eighties. This was a couple of years to three years after the Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon really started, which was not even the first one. It was the second one. It was just the biggest one. It would last for eighteen years. And in those eighteen years, this obscure group that did not really exist grew in popularity because they were the most effective one, thanks to the fact that Iran was backing them until they became the fact of king makers of Lebanese politics for a couple of decades after that. So here it is not even that I feel that history will just repeat itself and whatnot. It's more that there doesn't seem to be any actual path forward that proposes any alternative to people from southern Lebanon, which is roughly a fifth of the country in terms of both sides, more or less in population. More or less, those people have nowhere else to go. They will go back to their homes when they can. They go back to their lands if their homes are destroyed, and they will try and rebuild as they have done already in the past, if not once, sometimes more than once.
Speaker 6: And if there isn't.
Speaker 7: A solution for them, that is just a fair solution that brings them justice, that stops the Israeli bombings and permanently forces the Israelis out of Lebanon. There's going to be some force somewhere that's going to find a way to appeal to that population, and if they're not offered an alternative, they will seek that alternative, which again is the history has well in the first place. So as much as I oppose has Bola for very Lebanese reasons, and as the Lebanese myself because of the Secanism and authoritaranism and so on, that's a completely separate question for me. Then the right of people who are under military occupation to resist that military occupation, because that is actually a right that's guaranteed under international law. And I'm really worried as now, and I'm not just speaking for myself here, that's virtually everyone I know that the situation is getting to the point where essentially the Libanese state is hoping that the Americans would just pressure the Israelis, and the way it's been happening as of now is that they would pressure them here and they're a bit but not much, and then the rest of the time they just let them do whatever they want with American text money. Of course, if they don't actually force the Israelis to withdraw from Lebanon, it can create like a whole different political beast in a sense that would be even more violent.
Speaker 3: I think we're specifically talking about Lebanon, but this is the case in so many contexts in the region, is that when the conflicts are unresolved, when the violence is unresolved, then it'll only perpetuate more violence. Everyone I know has been warning about that in every context in Palestine, in Lebanon. So it's extremely depressing.
Speaker 5: But thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much for sharing your insights with us, and I will link Alia's work in the show notes, and yeah, help you all stay safe.
Speaker 1: Thanks Denna.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to It could Happen here.
Speaker 4: I'm Robert Evans.
Speaker 2: This is a podcast about things falling apart, and that's happening in a lot of places right now. But not every place also has things regularly unfortunately falling from the sky. But that's life in Ukraine for a lot of people, including our guests today, every single day, because they're still under invasion from the Russian Federation, which I guess we're still calling it the Federation. Romeo Kokreatsky, Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 8: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know it's not great, so I don't know why I'm asking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having me back on. It's been a while.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, like you mentioned it, it's not great, especially for me personally. My neighborhood's been targeted by ballistics twice in the past two weeks, one of which hit a improperly stored munitions dump and blew up half the neighborhood.
Speaker 4: So that's that's been fun to deal with.
Speaker 2: I mean, we have other stuff to talk about, but I do want to just kind of talk about what life has been like like in terms of dealing with that. I mean, thank god you have not been hit, neither has your home, but like on a day to day basis, how are y'all enduring? You know, so many years passed when this escalated.
Speaker 9: Most recently, honestly, I had thought, prior to half my neighborhood being blown up that I basically gotten numb to the bombing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, turns out that's not true. Yeah, that makes sense. Turns out I was just completely lying to myself. Yeah.
Speaker 9: I have mortal dread pretty much all the time. Every night, I am desperately checking every single monitoring channel I have access to and praying that the Russians aren't going to shoot us. And if they do shoot us, I then have to think, Hey, should I wake my wife and sun up? Should we go down to the shelter? Is there any point We live in the fifteenth floor, so we'd have to walk. What if a missile hits while we're in the stairwell?
Speaker 4: Yeah. And it's a little tiring. It's a little tiring.
Speaker 9: Yeah, to constantly live your life with the feeling that you may die at any goddamn moment.
Speaker 4: I'm not even in the military.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I am pretty much constantly afraid for my life and of course the life of my family and friends. Every morning after a mass attack, I have to call or text every single journalist who works for me make sure that they're still alive. Yeah, And so far, everything's been clear, everything's been clear for five years, but you really have to wonder how long can can one's luck last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you were talking about, you know, the moment you start to feel like, you know, maybe I've hardened, or maybe like I've gotten past the point that this can affect me. Is the moment where something, you know, happens. I feel so awful that like the constant state of like panic, fear, arousal that everyone has to be in over there because they're just shooting missiles and your home every day is just it's hideous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 9: I haven't left the country since the start of the full scale Yeah, And to be quite honest, I'm not sure how I would do once this threat is no longer above my head. It's it's hard to imagine going to sleep and not wondering whether I'm going to wake up in the next like the next morning. It sounds a little absurd, but then I think someone about three hundred kilometers away has made a decision to lob multi hundred kilogram warheads at the general area of where I live within two to three kilometers.
Speaker 4: That is not a largery No, No, it really isn't.
Speaker 2: No, I mean ballistic missiles you know, often can go thousands. Like, that's so easy to build something that you could just fire blindly into a city.
Speaker 4: This point.
Speaker 2: That's why war looks like this for most of the people involved in it, right Like, for all the movies are about the guys like kicking indoors and shit on the front lines. The vast majority of everyone's experience of war is shit falling on you from the fucking sky or exploding in traffic or something like that, right Like, that's the reality. I'm fucking sorry, man.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And in Kiev, honestly, we don't even have as bad Yeah here, son, they're just doing a human sofariti.
Speaker 4: They've been doing that, yeah, I don't know, like six months now.
Speaker 9: The front line is right over basically the river, and they the Russians, just send drones to hunt people in the streets just for fun, you know, funzies for the lulls. So as bad as I have to here, sometimes I read the stories I'm publishing and I'm like, man, thank god, I don't live in that place.
Speaker 4: Think I don't know anyone from met City.
Speaker 2: Everything becomes so relative after a while. I mean, it's the only way to stay sane.
Speaker 4: Even though your.
Speaker 2: Sheer situation is objectively unreasonable and impossible, you kind of naturally just look over to whoever's got it worse, I mean, which says something beautiful. I guess if you'll let it.
Speaker 4: But you know, I guess that's one way of looking at it.
Speaker 2: Fuck man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: I brought you on today to talk about some of the political changes that have been pretty massive that have just just hit the Ukrainian government as the result of the sacking of Mikaylo Federov. But that also feels like we should talk about that some I just I don't know. Talking to you reminds me of how much I even let myself overhear focus on war in terms.
Speaker 8: Of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Right, these like moves by governments and moves by forces, which by default means excizing the majority of what's happening from your mind, because in some times, I mean, sometimes it's just too big to think about otherwise.
Speaker 4: Right, But like it's no, that's exactly right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, whenever there's any sort of domestic, local intrigue, I am just overjoyed.
Speaker 4: I'm excited. Again's something.
Speaker 9: I know a lot of people wanted to be war correspondents and like be there in the trenches. And I have a lot of friends. My buddy Dylan Burns. I saw a clip of him just getting shelled last week summer. I think, come Zepparisia front. Yeah, that wasn't what I wanted to do. I became a journalist because I love politics. The envy, the pettiness thing goes all the little like garbage bullshit that makes up the experience of human politics. That's what calls to me in my dark, little shriveled heart. So whenever I have the chance to engage in just domestic political bullshit, I feel overjoyed.
Speaker 4: That is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well good, okay, Well let's talk about some domestic political bullshit because there's been a wild train of it in the last couple of days. I'm just gonna let you go after starting this off. But like kind of what prompted this is On July fifteenth of this year, Vladimir Zolensky, the Ukrainian president, fired or dismissed MIKHAILI. Federov, who was the Minister of Defensive Ukraine and Federov he'd been the president's social media marketer initially. Right like that, back during he was when he was campaigning, way before his involvement in the military, if I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was a not just social media he was the young it guy. He was the it right, all the IT infrastructure from SMM, from social media to the actual physical infrastructure itself, that was all Federoff.
Speaker 4: He was like the it dude for the vi Lenski administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's only had the position for about six months. He was appointed in January, but it's been an incredibly popular six months.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: He is widely popular in Ukraine. There were large protests following his dismissal, and he got a lot of credit for his use of drone warfare and particularly some of the promises he was making. And some people would say some of the promises that he fulfilled about drone warfare, right, And one of the issues that he had as he kind of clashed, as I understand it with an older General Sirski, who was much more of a conventional weapons gain. I think like the big fight that Spurtlus came over like a fight over munitions, right, Federoff was canceling an order of artillery shells or something like that, and it kind of embodied the greater conflict between them.
Speaker 4: It seems like, yeah, that's basically right.
Speaker 9: Federoff prior to taking the Missary Defense position, like I said, he was the it guy, and he had the Minister of Digital Transformation because we have a whole ministry set up to digitize our government and we've got the DA app and a couple of good results from it. So he had a relatively high level popularity compared to the typical Ukrainian official coming into the MOD position, and he became popular, or I guess his popularity grew not so much because he was doing drones. Like the transformation to drones occurred pretty much from the start of the right, Yes, every single union, and it has been ordering and begging and getting drones however they can since literally.
Speaker 4: The folk scale started.
Speaker 9: However, what Federal promised to do and what he did, which is what won him a lot of accolades with the common soldier, is he said we would actually get you drones instead of you know, you having to go through fifteen layers of bureaucracy procurement to maybe sign up for a list where you might get delivered something in four months somewhere we'll set up a simple direct system where you can request the equipment you want and you'll get it. Well, it's not quite as simple. He develops some gamification crap which you can get into later.
Speaker 4: I'm not yeah, I'm not a fan.
Speaker 2: It is really interesting, but yeah, yeah, he's tried some really fascinating stuff.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's tried a lot of things and it has worked. Yeah, people have started getting drones. Like I know guys in the front who had complained previously that they were unable to get equipment even though they're posted, they're deployed, they have a mission and commands just like, oh, we don't know where your drone is. That started to be resolved. However, in order to do this you need money. Right to buy drones, you need money, So the Ministry Defense controls the actual monetary flows. They have to actually sign off on whatever the request from the General Staff or the military.
Speaker 4: Is to purchase this or that equipment.
Speaker 9: System the way it typically works because the Ministry Defense is a civilian institution and the military is obviously a military institution. Typically speaking, in wartime, civilians are intended to defer to military expertise. Right, So if the army goes, we need I don't know, one hundred thousand and one to fifty five millimeters shells. The Ministry of Defense is not really supposed to say you know what, nah, we think you need this. Instead, this is the kind of the crux of the conflict here is that federal off seeing these requests from Serski. Like you said, he's a very conventional guy, a very conventional Soviet general. He grew up in Moscow, went to the Moscow Read Army Academy. To be quite honest, he's pretty much a Soviet general through and through.
Speaker 2: My understanding is he is a reputation for accepting pretty gnarly casualties. Yeah, fair or unfair, he's gotten that reputation. I'm not like an expert on his record.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, yes, he has that reputation. And like you, I'm not a military guy, yeah, a non army expert. I've never studied strategy or tactics aside from meme posting, So I have no idea how you know true or not true? It is obviously you can look at the lost records of the units that Sirski said to personally favored, and he can see that they are higher but are they hired because they are simply being used more often. Like it's a war, there are going to be casualties. There are simply no way to remove that fact. Or are they higher because his commanders are incompetent in throwing.
Speaker 4: Away human meat.
Speaker 9: You know, you've got people that'll say one way, you've got people to say the other way. But regardless, Serski would continue to request these kind of conventional munitions, and according to Serski's version, at least Federoff will just completely ignore this and by whatever he wanted the ministry by, typically this was drones. There was a funny meme I saw of Sierski complaining to Federoff, with the text reading, the buzzing of your stupid drones are hurting the infantry to advance. To give you a sense of how Ukrainians viewed.
Speaker 8: This, Oh man, that's beautiful.
Speaker 4: I really love that, meaning really that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's going in a history book.
Speaker 4: From the feder Off side.
Speaker 9: What they say the conflict is, which, knowing how you Kraine works, I tend to believe them, is that in Federalf's attempts to move these cash flows from buying conventional munitions to buying drones.
Speaker 4: He started stepping on a lot.
Speaker 9: Of toes in the General Staff because this is Ukraine, because this is defense procurement. If you want to buy something from a domestic supplier, the chances are that supplier is owned somehow via cl company connected to some general or some highly placed military officials.
Speaker 4: That's just the nature of the game. Obviously.
Speaker 9: Let's say if the General Staff requests one hundred thousand shells and they source half of it from the Ukrainian firm, there's a good chance that there's a lot of generals that are going to be building themselves in Uvilla after this. If, however, you don't put that order in and instead buy, you know, drones from the five hundred or one thousand different garage manufacturers, which is how the drone industry works here. That money is not going into people's pockets, and those people get upset. Those people start complaining that you are not a team player, that they can't work with you, that you don't listen to them, they stopped taking your coals, etc. Which is exactly what we saw in the conflict between Federoff and Serski on the reporting of it. So that's that's basically the gist of it is Federoff try to use his own judgment and stepped on people's toes, redirected money, and Sierski and the general staff were not fans.
Speaker 4: I doubt Sirski cared really all that much.
Speaker 9: However, he needs to keep everyone happy, and the officer class is very heavily he involved in this creating military salaries. Even officer salaries are not great.
Speaker 2: No, and there's a lot of corruption and procurement, and a lot of allegations of corruption and procurement, which is not something any military doesn't have to be honest. But yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 9: So finally he gets to the point where Serski he went to Zelenski and said, look, you have to get rid of this guy.
Speaker 4: I can't work with him.
Speaker 9: Then Federoff separately went to Zelenski and said, look, you have to get rid of this guy.
Speaker 4: I can't work with him.
Speaker 9: And then Zelenski goes to a private meeting with his party in Parliament and says, hey, well, they both said they can't work with each other, and I kind of need them to work with each other, so I should fire them both. But I can't fire Sirski yet, so instead I'll fire Federoff and that's what kicked off this whole shebang.
Speaker 2: How much do you buy? Because The Times had a piece recently that was kind of, I mean, quoting some insiders alleging that this was partly to do with Zelensky being jealous of federov popularity. And I've heard I've heard rumors of that before that has not seemed to be like the most I don't know, believable answer. So I was kind of surprised to see the Times give so much credence to it. But I mean, do you feel like that's credible? Is that something you hear a lot? Or is that where's that coming from?
Speaker 9: I guess, I mean I have considered this a lot, because it has been something saying, yeah, when Valari's Illusioni was made to step down as top general and he was replaced by Sirski, A lot of the kind of speculation why this move was made was because Illusioni was very quickly becoming the most popular political figure, public figure in Ukraine. And then we saw Budhanav krol Badanov, the head of military intelligence who is now Zelenski's chief of staff, when his star was rising and Zelenski had to fire your mock. He took the country's top spy basically and put him as chief of staff. Now you don't hear about Padanov at all except for some unflattering rumors on anonymous telegram channels. So there is kind of a pattern you can see with Zelensky seemingly defusing popular people around him so they are no longer in a position where they can be so popular. And in solutionies case, he recently announced that whenever we do have presidential elections, he does plan to stand in them. Right, so he has in fact directly declared he will be politically opposing Zelenski whenever.
Speaker 4: We get back to normal politics.
Speaker 9: So how do I say this? I am a cynical bastard. I will believe the worst about anyone, especially a ego driven TV star slash politician. It is not difficult for me in my citizens oh God, to look at a man and say, huh, you know what, he probably doesn't like being out shown on the stage. At the same time, I like to hope that Zelenski has the understanding that we're fighting a full scale war and that his ego is unnecessary and detrimental to the war.
Speaker 4: Effort.
Speaker 9: But but the truth of the matter is I have no idea. It certainly can be construed that way.
Speaker 4: Let's say that.
Speaker 9: I don't think construing events that that way is unfair to Zelenski. I think that's it's a reasonable interpretation. Yeah, based on the actions that he's taken, and based on you know, the rumors and so on that come out of the office the President.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that that makes sense what you're saying. I don't have trouble believing that.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: One of the things I have noticed is I've kind of read it into Federov and I'm wondering, and this is we're kind of our veering into some military theory here. But it is something that concerns me when I kind of look at some of the allegations about what he believes. And I'm not sure if this is entirely fair to him, but it seems like his critics within the Ukrainian military seem to believe that he basically is a believer that drones and robotics can handle a huge amount of the fighting load, right, and that this is like a major solution to the manpower crisis, to the extent that is sometimes accused of believing that they can handle much more of the load than is really realistic. In a way that sometimes sounds similar to me to what some people said about like air force generals and kind of the post World War two period where there's this big understanding and all we need is air power. That seems to be like the allegations against federof that he's saying, all we need is drone power and robotics, and we can kind of use that to fill in every gap, and there's a very reasonable critique that that's not sufficient. Now, I don't know if that's fully fair to feder Off, but it seems to be like that's how he's being characterized, certainly by his opponents.
Speaker 4: Having listened to.
Speaker 9: Him speak, I'll say that the characterization is a little bit off, Like he might honestly believe that drones and robotics have to completely replace human warfare, but it's not like he lives in a fantasy world where he understands that that's the possibility that we can implement right now, right. It's more that he faces the banal mathematical fact that we cannot match Russia.
Speaker 4: We are a much smaller country. It is mathematically impossible, right. Add into that the general unpopularity of mobilization, the whole palsification stuff, the fact that no one trusts our aging Soviet officer class to value their life or contrab utan they are drafted or joined the military. That together leads Federoff to the I think pretty obvious conclusion that the only possible thing we can do to even start to match Russia in manpower is heavily embraced robotics. Now, I do want to say a couple of things. Federoff is a libertarian in the American sense, right. And he's very young. He's thirty five, He's he's literally my age, Jesus.
Speaker 9: And this was back I think twenty seventeen or eighteen he ran as part of we had a tiny libertarian movement called the five to ten Party, which their idea was a flat five percent vat tax, flat ten percent something else I mean, in stupid libertarian shit. I didn't ever pay much attention to it because I always ask them how old their girlfriend is and if they need to use the garciat is my paying libertarians there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: And again, so he may very well believe that this is the case that humans needed taking out of what's the military euphemism, humans have to be taken out of.
Speaker 2: The kill chain, right right, removed from the kill chain. Yeah, I love the term kill chain.
Speaker 9: He made very well believe that he is good personal friends with Alex Karp, the CEO of Palenteer. That's very obviously the omni surveillance courts were headed by the devil himself, Peter Teel, so there's a lot of red flags.
Speaker 2: One of the first staymans he made after getting sacked was that he's been already gotten a bunch of offers from different Silicon Valley companies. Someone close to him said that, not that he that he hasn't taken.
Speaker 4: No, no, he said that.
Speaker 9: During the briefing, I was listening and it was him. Yeah, Alex Karp has already called me and offered me a job.
Speaker 2: Oh he said, Alex Karp. Okay, great, yeah, great. I'm just remembering from a news article, are right now that said. I wanted to be fair to him because one thing he also gets a lot of credit for is over the last six months, which was not in his position for long. But it's been a reasonably good six months compared to some of the pre couple of years. Right, the front is stabilized in a lot of areas, and there's been an incredibly successful campaign to damage Rush's oil refining capacity that's taken out out a quarter of it, right, and those are seen part of why he's so popular. I would imagine there's a debate as to how much credit does he deserve for both of those things. Both of those things have happened right over the last six months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: And the hope was that if he was allowed to complete his reform, so the next big thing that he had planned to focus on was ground robotics, ground drones. The hope was that if he had actually been able to implement plans, we would see the same kind of sea change away from human soldiery, human infantry into robotics soldiers, just as we saw drones replace the sniper team, the artillery team, the mortar team. You know, so many of these kind of fundamental roles that we thought a modern military monitoring mines, armed military needs. Turns out you could replace all of them with drones. We don't know if that's going to be true for groundrones, but that was going to be his next project, and it definitely helped.
Speaker 4: Bolster his standing.
Speaker 9: Let's say, when he goes, well, first off, I'm getting you the drones, and second off, we don't need to throw away Ukrainian lives on worthless, neat assaults to win back half a kilometer of territory. We can use easily replaceable robotics instead.
Speaker 2: Now that's a very hard thing to argue with, I mean, especially given how it's functioned. You know, it is worth kind of noting that he was brought in as well to solve the manpower crisis, and that that that certainly has not been solved, although you know, he was in there for six months. But like that still continues to be a significant issue, even with the advent of a lot more robotic fighter, which is, you know, proven successful in certain areas of the front, certainly, but it continues to be a pretty contentious and mobile front in some areas as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: And the fact is we still have I don't know, maybe let's say another ten to fifteen years to reach the terminator feature where you just you don't need human infantry. It is a liability if you have flesh and blood guys on the battlefield. We're not quite there yet. You still do need flesh and blood meet zat humans to do things, so molization is obviously a thing. But I gotta say, every single Minister of Defense we've had since the start of the full scale has had the brief of reforming mobilization, so he is hardly the first guy to fail at right, the general staff was given the brief of reforming mobilizations. Zelenski himself said that the office of the President has the brief of performing mulization veeder Off. During his kind of exit press conference that he gave after being fired, he said this a very interesting thing. He said that in order to do mobilization form in Ukraine, we need a new social contract. The fundamental social contract between Ukrainians and the state is seen by the average Ukrainian to be broken because of the continuous and constant corruption scandals, because of the seeming you know, Soviet indifference and callousness towards human life. All of these factors make the Ukrainian populace not especially want to die for the state. It's not that we don't want to die for Ukraine, but no one wants to die for the Ukrainian state, and this is the fundamental issue. And until that is addressed, there is there is no solution for mobilization except for greater repression, right like round people up even more, use greater force. That's the only thing you can possibly do. There is no soft handle to fix that. It's not even really a question of money, because if you think that once you're drafted, they're gonna throw you in the back of a van, drive into the mill force, stick you there for two weeks, not teach you anything, yell and beat you, then drive you to the zero line and leave you there. That's what the average Ukrainian men man thinks is going to happen to them if they're drafted. And the fact is we have lots of stories exactly like that, so it's not exactly an unfounded fear. And until that's addressed, until the Ukrainian state can you know, plausibly tell the Ukrainian people, look, we care about your lives. We are doing this because we are doing this to survive, not because some general wants an extra badge or an extra villa or something. And at that point mobilization reform can't start. But without that change, you're not gonna see anything. No amount of bureaucratic wrangling or raising salaries is going to result in any kind of mobilization.
Speaker 2: Bump, Well, man, is there anything else you wanted to get to today. I think that was a really good point to make.
Speaker 9: I'll say this that we did see that the protests did pay off, So I think that's the one aspect of this we haven't talked about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a very good point.
Speaker 9: Why he is actually doing this, or why he is actually taking steps to remove Serski is because of the protests.
Speaker 2: So we didn't even get to that so much because that just happened hours before we recorded this. But he has announced that Serski is now being removed. Right, yes, yes, yes, just happened. Sorry, it was.
Speaker 9: Always going through case once Serski's name was out in public. The country's top general cannot be this controversial. He cannot be the guy everyone is talking about derogatorily in a national or you just you need to have the trust of both the people and the troops. And Serski once this scandal had reached the level it was clear that he no longer had the Jews to continue. But again, the reasons Lunky made these changes is because of the protests.
Speaker 4: So we learned about Federov's.
Speaker 9: Dismissal like late at night, I want to say, in the fifteenth, and then that evening a couple of uh I think it was one ex volunteer, one ex soldier posted that we everyone should gather out on Twitter, I think, and then that that game steam and that was the start of the kind of five day protests. I don't know if they're going to continue today now that Serski has been replaced, but they've been happening every single day this week.
Speaker 4: And again people came out first to kind.
Speaker 9: Of keep to protest Federalf's removal, to say, hey, keep Federov. Then it became clear that Federalf himself had refused to continue to work with his Zelenski team. He pretty much told Zlenski that I don't want any job. I wanted the job that I had, but since you made that no longer possible, I don't want to work for you. Once that dynamic became clear, the protests shifted more towards trying to get Serski fired. Were to get him to resign than to get feder Off back in office, which is unlikely to.
Speaker 4: Happen, but the protests have been.
Speaker 9: First off, they occurred not just in Kiev, but pretty much in every major city, even the frontline cities, even in Zupperisia, in Harkiev. One of my journalists was in Harkyev and did a report from their protest, and these are people who are getting air bombed during the day and they're gathering in the center of their city in protesting. The scale of it, the speed of it in the general societal agreement is really what what gave these protests their statem. The same with the pro Nabu protests that we saw a couple of years backer last year, the same kind of dynamic, same kind of protesting class. Let's say it's younger people, you know, from eighteen to like thirty, typically more liberal, more progressive. However, we come out in protest not for I mean, sometimes we do come out for gay rights, but currently it's more to correct our government's person all choices than anything else.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean, I guess it is positive that it matters still, you know, which is certainly in some ways a legacy still lingering of the Midon right is that the government's not going to ignore that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I wouldn't just say it's positive. I'd be quite honest, I cannot think of a single other democratic country on the planet that is as responsive to the undifferentiated, random cries of the masses.
Speaker 8: Then there's this huge negative to that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I say it like this, and it might sound like I'm saying this derogatorily, but I'm not. No, I think, quite frankly, pretty much all liberal democratic nations in the twenty first century have almost completely abandoned the democratic part. Either people vote for local parties that simply don't matter, and all the decisions are made in board rooms that they have less than zero impact in. They got on protest and nothing happens except some kids get beaten up by cops and then nothing fundamentally changes that. That is not true in Ukraine. We have seen multiple times where protesters go out with a concrete call and the government heeds that call. It doesn't simply ignore us, it doesn't just beat us up. It's fundamentally democratic in a way that I have not seen any other country in the world replicate so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is very much worth continuing the note and acknowledge. Although, as you said, a mixed bag because the voice of the people is not always correct about aspects of strategy and governance, as a lot of.
Speaker 8: Places have learnt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, all right man, Well, do you want to plug anything before you come out here? Tell people where they can find you.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 9: I am the managing editor of The New Voice of Ukraine, which is Ukraine's best and premier English language daily u site. You can read us at English nv dot UA really easy to remember, that's English nvt UA and listen to Ukraine Without Hype, which is a podcast from myself and my colleague Anthony Bartaway, and you can find us wherever podcasts are listened to.
Speaker 4: Just search Ukraine without Hype. Awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you all for listening, Thank you Romeo for showing up again, and we'll be back tomorrow with something else.
Speaker 8: Hello everyone, and welcome to the show. My name is James. We're starting Gangs. I've forgot to press the record button and I am very lucky to be joined by Wendy Frye and we're going to talk about a piece that Wendy did for cow Matters about the FEDS DHS buying detention centers in California. Hi Wendy, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hi, James, thanks for having me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, so let's begin I suppose by summarizing this article. Well, link to it, right, and I think everyone should read it. It's a really good piece of reporting. But can you explain what is happening here with these two detention centers?
Speaker 5: Sure? Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 11: So.
Speaker 5: Last week, course of it, one of the largest private prison companies in the country in the nation, a publicly traded company, announced that they had sold two of their properties to the Department of Homeland Security for a billion and a half dollars. And those two facilities are two of the largest immigration detention facilities in California. O time mesa detention center in San Diego County that has a capacity of just a little under two thousand beds. And then the other one is the newly opened California City Facility up in Kern County, and that one's just a little bit bigger with a capacity of twenty five hundred beds. And we learned the details about the sale through this filing with the Security Exchange Commission. Like I said, because it's a publicly traded company, they have to make some of the information about this deal public. And we learned that the federal government paid seven hundred and thirty nine million I think for O time MESA, and then the other one was I think about seven hundred and thirty million for California City. And we've done some additional reporting too since that article came out, and we just last Friday, we're talking with the San Diego County appraiser, the assessor's office and current county found out that the last appraise value on these properties was about a quarter of what the federal government paid for them. So the last appraise value I think about one hundred and sixty million for O type MESA. I don't have the exact number, but around that. So they paid, you know, maybe four times. And of course the praise value we have to take it sort of with a grain of salt because it's not the market value. But it would be very hard to figure out what the market value is on a property like this because there just aren't very many of them. Both places are these huge, brawling federal prisons that don't get sold very often, so it's hard to figure out what the market value is. But those are the last appraise value.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sure, not much, not much. Your market for giant prisons, I suppose best.
Speaker 5: Guess, yeah, none much to compare it to as far as the sale, right, And on the federal government side, on course of excit, they said that this whole thing went through a very rigorous process of governmental review and that everything is above board there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so of course they'll say that. Yeah. So these facilities, like, they spend a lot of money on them, right, and they have a lot of money right now, they're sitting on a giant pile of money. Actually, before before we talk about what they spent on them, people will remember when President Biden came into power, him saying he was going to end private prisons, right, so we should just, I guess, begin by explaining how that didn't include immigration detention and how these places have like as you say, they haven't just continued, but in the last two years, I guess they're trying to expand immigration detention capacity, right, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, So in California, particularly California, state officials have tried to ban private prison companies from operating within the state of California, and the Ninth Circuit didn't uphold that. Like the California Pass, the law Governor news and signed it. It went ended up in court. GEO Group and Course of BIC, the two largest private and companies. We're fighting against this and they they they won. The ninth Circuit upheld that California can't fan these facilities from operating. But they have pushed back a lot, and California lawmakers are trying to write a series and pass a series of laws that would require you know, more of the tax revenue from these companies to be you know, absorbed by the state and distance in avized. Basically financially disincentivized these private prison companies from operating, and that is one of the reasons why DHS, in a statement that they put out, Jason Sweeney with ICE told me, you know, it's financially infeasible. It's become too burdensome from their point of view for the private prison companies to operate in California because of all the oversight and because of all the you know, pushback, the California officials have tried to do and have done as much as I can basically.
Speaker 8: On let's talk about this new attempt to grow detention capacity, right because they're previous totem was these warehouses where we spoke to some folks in social circle on this show, such a circle Georgia a while ago about that. So, can you give people who haven't been following this little synopsis of why they've moved away from the putting human beings in warehouses models?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 5: So the spending bill, the federal spending bill that President Trump signed last year, included just the insanely unprecedented amount of money for immigration enforcement, like more than even the entire budget of the entire federal prison system. Right. It includes about forty five billion dollars just for detention capacity alone. So they poured a ton that, like you said, they're sitting on just this huge pile of cash that they have to spend. They have to do something with that money. The plan at the beginning of the year were, as you mentioned these warehouses, right, that they wanted to from their perspective, sort of more intelligently design the both the tension capacity and the deportation machine. I think I'm not one hundred percent sure which dhf's officials said this. I think it was Tom Holman in Phoenix, but it could have been another THHS official, But basically they said they wanted to design the quote Amazon Prime for humans. So like they want to make this as fast and as efficient as possible. They want to have a capacity to stay up to one hundred thousand people on any given day. And they have a ton of cash, cash that they've never even seen before, right, So buying up this billion and a half dollars of real estate in California is feasible to them, and they've signaled that owning it rather than leasing it or having Corsivic run it is more beneficial to them in not having to comply with the oversight. The different inspections and laws that California officials have tried to put into place that allows, for example, inspectors with the California's Attorney General's office, and there was a twenty twenty four law the California past that would allow local health inspect inspectors to go in and do a health inspection. San Diego County is the only place where they've actually tried to do that, and the private company pushed back, so they've said, do you just have said in their statement that you know, owning this and rather than another entity owning it gives them the upper hand as far as avoiding some of this oversight and the federal courts have upheld that.
Speaker 8: Actually, right, So let's dig into that a little bit.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 8: A lot of people have started paying attention to immigration detention approximately halfway through January in twenty twenty five, right, right, And if you had been paying attention before in California, you would have known that thousands of people were detained without food, water, or shelter in the open air for months, not like an individual duration stay was at most like a week, but that the practice continued in Hercumba, YEP in Hukumba and then Sidro. Yeah, in at least three places in Hakkumba. I believe there were also other oad sites that we didn't find, mut at least I didn't know about. And then that also happened in Arizona as well, But at that point in time, there was not a great deal of an inspection by the county. I saw a Office of the Immigration Detention on Bardsman person once their visit didn't seem to result in any changes. But like has California committed on why they suddenly care about the I guess the conditions migrants are detained in When they didn't seem to care in a way that mattered three years ago.
Speaker 5: Right, they certainly weren't coming out in statements and pushing back as hard as we have seen them push back against the Trump administration. That's true, And I have asked, like top California officials that. In an interview I did with the California Attorney General Robbonta, I did ask any. I was like, this is my really hard question for you, is you know it didn't seem like you were pushing back in this same way when you know there were babies sheltering and porter right.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah. One night in September, I remember a lady breastfeeding a baby. The baby was shivering, which, like it there's not a good sign with babies are shivering. And like I was warming up milk in the camping stove in my truck and my friend was cycling toddlers in and out of like a little warming station they built. Like I've been through the Darien Gap and that's still some of the worst ship that I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: It was horrific, Right, I remember thinking like where is the un like, where is like the Red Cross? Like this is a humanitarian crisis out here. Yeah, And it was in such a remote area it was, so it lacks so much visibility, both from the media and you know, public officials, and so we did talk about that at one point, and Bonto's response was, you know, we had a working relationship with the Biden administration that wasn't controversial or wasn't adversarial in the way that our relationship is with the Trump administration, and so we could work on that stuff behind the scenes. Now I know you were out there. Anybody who was out there would say, no, do you really ever saw the results of that collaboration or that work, right, And you know, it is a concern for sure that it does seem like California politicians do get more bang for their buck in opposing the immigration policies that the Trump administration. When it's important to note that a lot of this infrastructure, including especially a lot of the AI infrastructure that are being used to survey people who are against these policies, and the palanteer the AI technologies that is being used right now to find people and detain them without making the headlines and in quite a high profile way as we saw last year. All that was put into place by the Biden administration, right yea, And so it is important to note that for sure, that a lot of these systems that now the Trump administration is able to utilize were handed to.
Speaker 8: Them, detained the idea that we have a midterm election and the presidential election and they are conducted in a way that we kind of are accustomed to with elections, and the results are respected. Let's imagine we have a Democrat in twenty twenty eight to do the master. The FEDS will still own these two giant detention centers. Right. The way that immigration, in my experience works is like it only seems to move in one direction. I guess, like this is why this is such a concern.
Speaker 5: They're seeing themselves. DHS is saying themselves that this is a deliberate strategy to make their detention build out more permanent and harder to roll back with the changing political wins, right, and so they're acknowledging that that that's what they're trying to do.
Speaker 8: That's not great. Yeah, yeah, that's a yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's from their own mouths, right, So.
Speaker 8: Yeah, deeply concerning. I wonder though, like previously they've had a practice of moving people out of San Diego County. I guess the practices are on would there is like a number of incidents that I'm aware of where they've moved people away from their lawyer in San Diego County right to a detention facifity like Dilly or somewhere in Texas or something like that. I guess I would make that impossibly it did the same as it was before. It'll just be from a federal prison to a private prison.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a less favorable federal jurisdiction right a district, so in San Diego, I would say probably it's a more favorable outcome to go before a federal district judge in San Diego for a possible habeas petition and to flow down the process as far as being deported, right, I think that that probably happens faster in a federal district in Texas than it would here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have heard a lot from families about family members being moved out to you know, these very remote I mean, there's been an effort for a long time to make sure that these facilities are set up in very remote areas out of California and in other parts of the country, in remote areas that are hard for advocations. It's hard for attorneys, hard for journalists like me to get to to report what's going on in them. You know, it's like six hours to get to California City as a drive back made way more times than I want to now at this point, right, So you know, it does it does impact the amount of resources that people can be connected to. It is the biggest expense that ICE has is moving people around the country. I remember Senator Padilla did say, like it seems sort of illogical the way they're moving, Like they're moving people from California out to California while they're moving people in other places into California, And it seems illogical the way they're moving people around. But the impact of that, I don't know what their purpose or their intention is of doing that, but the impact of is it really disorients people. Right, It's like where am I?
Speaker 4: What am I doing? What are the rules here?
Speaker 5: How do I get my phone card set up? It takes them days where they're kind of pushed back on their heels trying to figure out what the system and the guards and the new place where they go. And then, like I said, it's only makes it harder for people when they get moved around to these different facilities, and it's something that we're definitely seeing happen a lot more. Definitely hearing it from a lot of families in LA of concern about people being moved way out to California City, which is like in the middle of the Mohabi Desert, right, it's hard for families to get out there.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah, it's like it's a big Kern County I think, right, but it's a height from anywhere from any major population center in California. It's a long drive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like an hour and forty minutes from like the farthest eastern community in LA, like Cheerlea. They have an office in like eastern LA, And I think it was like an hour and twenty to an hour and forty to get to that office from California City. So it's just just remote. It's in the middle of nowhere, you know.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And if you think about where would I put a place that's in the middle of nowhere where it have the least amount of oversight, right, like that that's the place, Like that's definitely where you would pick.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely, combat like Auto Mesa detention center, very very bad things about what happens there, but like it is relatively close, people can get to it. There are almost always people there, like outside if someone is released, or people protesting what's happening there. Like you say, like it's hard even to do things like for someone to get money on their on their phone card or like someone I've reported on many times on the show was detained at Dilly and like it's difficult to work out how to like put money on their commentsary so they can buy food because the food they get is absolutely awful, and things like this. And then every time you move that that's different again, right, like.
Speaker 5: It's I was talking to an individual in Al Salvador and they were saying that, you know, they were moved around maybe nine times before they were deported, and each time they got to the different facility was like where am I and who who are kind of the leaders in this in this place, or like who do I talk to because I need to get I need to get this worked out. And sometimes they wouldn't even be able to get the phone cards set up before the next time they got loaded back on a bus to go somewhere else. Yeah, so even let their family know where they are and That's why it's so concerning that ICE is going around opening facilities. Like we had one facility open I think also in Current County. It's like right next to Golden State Annex, so it's like kind of part of that property. But they didn't tell anybody, right, Like, nobody knew that this facility was opened until we reported on it opening. And you know, if you're a family member and you're looking on that ice detainer, you're trying to find your family member. If we have these you know, almost almost like black site ice detention facilities opening up that nobody knows are running, how are you going to find your family member if it's not even listed there in the facilities, right. I mean, there's been a lot of reporting about how sometimes people are disappearing into these systems. But that's one of the reasons why California has tried to set these laws to say, like you have to give the public a certain amount of notice before you open a new facility, so that people are aware that it's coming and they can have an opportunity to, you know, say go to the California City Council meeting and make their opposition known. But we've seen both ice and the private detention companies have in some cases been able to find noise around those rules.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one of I guess the interesting things that we have seen in the last maybe six months even maybe somewhere there, mostly this year, right, it is like communities coming together to oppose these things and data centers, right, or like across a wide swath of American politics, Like a lot of the folks organizing in social circle and not people who I think would generally identify as progressive politically, but they were opposed to all the local consequences as well as the abuses that happen in these detention centers. Like it's definitely getting harder, I guess for them to build from scratch detention centers, right.
Speaker 5: That's correct. I mean some of these when at the beginning of the year, when they had the warehouse plan and they were planning some of these mega detention centers, which like they were trying to hold you know, ten or twelve thousand people, which is crazy more than rikers, right right, Yeah, like the largest would be the largest facility anywhere, and you know they were talking about even make their own wastewater treatment plants, bringing in their own services because the cities where the local municipalities wouldn't be able to handle the influx of people, of employees, of you know, the roads, all the all the different services. And so I think that's one of the things that people are realizing is that these properties have an impact outside of just the people that they're detaining, right, They have an impact, a ripple effect on the entire community. And I think people are becoming aware of that now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely, And it seems like, yeah, they're trying to do other things, and they saw some of those warehouses a loss as well, but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of how much money they have.
Speaker 5: They have to get rid of forty five billion dollars, so they really aren't aren't aren't stressing the loss is you know, it's a weird problem to have, but they feel like they have to spend this forty five billion or its kind of like use it or lose it if they don't buy the next by I think it's three years that they have, so I think we will see them buying more property use for sure. I think they really have their eye on at Alanto. I said a script that like scans the sec to like automatically alert me if any of those companies sell anything, Right, No.
Speaker 8: Cool.
Speaker 5: The other thing to keep in mind too about this is, you know, the federal government doesn't pay local and state taxes, so where they go into these small cash strap cities like California City and say, hey, you're going to get two million dollars a year in tax revenue from this facility opening. And that's kind of how they convince or like they try to win over the local politicians with hey, we need this money, we need this facility to lower our water bills and stuff like that. But none of that is going to It's like a bait and switch. Right, They're not going to be getting that two million dollar tax revenue anymore because, you know, other than the income tax of the employers, maybe that might but yeah, so that's another you know part of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, bait and switch is a good way to describe it. Like people think they're getting one thing and they end up getting another thing. You talked about the employees, like, when these facilities change hands, will it then be like federal employees or will they still be staffed by cor Civic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that's the interesting thing is the federal government is going to own the real estate, but Corsivic has said in its SEC filings that it expects it thinks that it's going to be keeping those contracts to continue operating the facilities. So the contract for California City runs through August twenty twenty seven. The one for Otai Mesa is supposed to end in twenty twenty nine, but there's an option to extend it another five years. And my impression is that ICE is quite happy with the way Corcivic is running these facilities and Geogroup is running these facilities, so that would mean the same guards, the same medical directors, the same kind of operations and day to day at both facilities, and they plan on keeping their existing management GRONTO.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 5: They they acknowledge in the SEC filing that there's no guarantee that they get to keep it, but that's it sounds like that's the deal that they've worked out and negotiated with the federal government.
Speaker 8: Sure like even when they've done these like they stood up that one camp, East Montana they call it, which is still run by a contractor, even though it's on Department and Defense land and the conditions there are atrocious from what we saw with the Inspector General report, and it doesn't seem to be a concern.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's someone outside of Belpasso.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Bliss, I've seen it.
Speaker 5: The tent camp oh okay out the side of Purt Place. Yeah, the white timp camp. Yeah yeah, you know, it seems like they're violating their own rules, right when they have these rules, they have these set of standards that they have set up. And that's the first thing courcivic or GEO will say is like, hey, we follow all the federal standards that are set up for us, right for digens standards.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 5: But it seemed, especially with that one, that you're mentioning that they violated all their own standards and sending that place up.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah, I mean that place is particularly egregious, like even among immigration detention facilities. Some of the stuff, and that Inspected General's report was genuinely shocking, and I thought I'd lost a capatty to be shocked by this stuff. But yeah, there's lots of terrible things have happened, Like I think you reported on the Mongolian person right who was who used sign language and was detained for I think months without an interpreter, if I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, he had never gotten a chance to even tell his story on how he had crossed the border because CBP had like really confused his story. He was telling them about his sister and they thought that that it was his daughter, and they were using like a I don't know AI some kind of online translation thing that was not even close to what his actual story was. And yeah, he spent months without able to tell anybody what happened to him. And you know, finally, yeah, after we did our story, Like finally, the ice attorney was trying to set up like a relay team of translation, but the federal judge was just said, like, doesn't he have a right to participate in his own proceedings? Like does it isn't he shouldn't he be an active participant in the proceedings against him, right, yeah, and not just a bystander in that. And then so then he the judge rule that they had to get him and interpreter, and I guess they decided it was too hard to do that, because they let him out fairly quickly after that ruling. But yeah, I mean some of the conditions that we've heard about I mean, obviously, I think everybody's heard, like the overcrowding, really severe lack of access to medical care, the horrific food. We've been hearing about how bad the food is for decades now in there, you know, smelling moldy waters particular problem in California City, and just somethings just like kind of the revaliation that people face for if they try to bring an issue up or if they try to you know, advocate for somebody else they feel like oftentimes they tell us that they feel like, you know, they get sort of retaliated against for that, you know already is one of the one of the most egregious violations that we've ever heard of, of, like the hunger strike. The hunger strikers all got dragged out and according to them, you know, beat up or handled very roughly and then take into Texas and for sped with a tube down their nose. Right Like, Yeah, there's definitely been some very egregious things that have happened inside these detention centers, and that's why it's so important for people to be able to you know, especially the congress members or and the local state inspectors. It's very important for somebody to be able to get in there and see what the conditions are like inside.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this court case doesn't matter anymore, like with this new development, right, the court case at least it match is in other detention facilities, but not in outime Mesa, specifically in San Diego County.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of remain to be seen. I think, like I said, the federal courts have upheld that state can't overstep their authority, and like step on federal authority to carry out immigration of course might right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that those health inspectors they already have done their health inspections, so they already did one, and their report I think is coming out at the end of July, so there will be that. But and then I think my understanding is In Diego County plans to fight.
Speaker 8: It's what I thought they were going to appeel it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're going to try to pluss the issue in court to see if they can continue going in there and doing their inspections. But like I said, you know, the courts haven't tended to rule that way, and deadjust thinks, like we know from their own statement that they think that this will sort of put an end to the different inspections and oversight stuff that the state and the local officials want to do.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah, it's a pretty bleak, pretty big outlook for immigration detention, which was not really a great outlook to begin with.
Speaker 5: I guess yeah, But it's not come one hundred percent decided, like it still has an open question. Whether these inspection laws will survive the beederal ownership or not remains to be seen, I think, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you said that they had plans for other locations. I'm guessing they have plans to Geogroup locations as well. Do you think this is their plan going forward to try and acquire all of the ease private immigration. They have the money too, I assume yeah.
Speaker 5: I think everything points to yes on that. I think Courseivic said in their statement that they are already in talks with ICE about selling more of their facilities. Geogroup has said on earnings calls that they would like to sell their facilities, and like you mentioned, you know, DHS definitely has the money thanks to that massive appropriation from the federal government, so you know, really they've already said that it's kind of their preference to outright own them rather than lease them or have a private company operate them in California. Yeah, so yeah, I think we will see more of it, and I'm definitely, you know, trying to monitor it as much as possible to see when that happens.
Speaker 8: I wonder if this also changes the legal environment for people who are either protesting or like they're in a sort of mutual aid capacity for the migrant trillip. Sometimes people can hear migrant shouting from inside, and they can hear them like asking for someone to put money on their phone, cut or what have you, or just describing their condition to relating them. Will it being a federal owned facility? Do you think that changes? Like because it's legal to stand outside a thing, right, but if it's a fed facility, maybe it's even harder.
Speaker 5: Yes, I do think it will change. I do think we'll see the federal government trying to crack down harder on protesters that come, you know, in no ten ways that they had the people. We're putting information about how they were being held in bottles and throwing the bottles over the gate toy. I do think for sure that the federal government will operate differently now that it's federal property. Another thing that's very interesting. You know, they already hold people who are not immigrant dtees in California City, So they have a section of that facility that are like people who are in the custody of the US marshals already. So there are already people in there who aren't immigrants. I wonder if we might see more of an effort to detain more people in these facilities who are not immigrants, right, Yeah, yeah, because they have promises made to Courcivic and Geogroup that they are going to try to give them a certain population of detees per day, right, right, So that's another part that remains to be seen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's also super concerning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it really is super concerning of where it could all go, right, Like especially you see you know the federal government calling protesters domestic terrorists and stuff like that. It is really concerning.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And we saw that in like as in Minneapolis in late January, and the same thing happens there. Right, they have their federal building it's called the Whipple Building, and like they do immigration detention there. But then there was also where people who were detained for protesting against that immigration those immigration accents were taken right, they used the same facility, and like there's a certain kind of menace to that, right, Like it's.
Speaker 5: Really alarming where it could go if you think.
Speaker 8: About it, right, Yeah, it's really uh, really concerning. Like this is one of those things that's at a little people can do much about.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: It's a like willing seller willing buyer kind of situation where unfortunately, like there's pretty few means for address. Like I hope California is successful with being able to inspect them, at least that would be something. And I know there are lots of really good groups doing work to keep people out of detention, to help with habeasts, to improve conditions in detention, et cetera. So like people can help out those groups that they want to. Yet it does seem like this is a particularly kind of bleak area of immigration enforcement right now.
Speaker 5: Right and especially since you know, one of the first things that Trump did is shut down the mechanisms that people can appeal or report. Like, you know, when you have a complaint about something that's happened to you within immigration attention, you complain about it either to the Offices Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. There's another DHS and both of those have been shut down right now, are not funded right now, So those mechanisms with which you can get any oversight from within the federal government right now are not operating.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's o idea the other one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that might be it. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've seen them precisely once, Wendy. If people want to follow your work, you've done lots of good stuff on California. Cal matt is just some really good reporting. You had great reporting about the operation return to Sender, for example, back when that was shocking.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: How can people find you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's great. So all our stories are there on calmatters dot org. Thank you for that. And then our Operation Return to Center documentary is on YouTube, so you can find that there. We did a lot of work to show kind of what Bovino was saying and what was actually happening on the ground. So that's a really good one to watch.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and you guys publish also in Spanish, right, yes, we do.
Speaker 5: More recently we started translating more of our stories into Spanish so that folks who want to read it and Spanish can find that there too.
Speaker 8: Yeah that's great. That's super nice.
Speaker 5: And I speak flu in Spanish. If people need to contact me in Spanish, I can communicate there.
Speaker 8: Too, nice yep, And there's a contact link for you on the website and getting if people want to talk to you about some of this stuff.
Speaker 5: Right, absolutely, or yeah, I can just share my email for sure. It's Wendy atclmatters dot org. And I am always hoping to hear from people so we can do more end up the recording about what's going on inside these facilities. So thank you so much for that opportunity to share that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Coose, thanks for for doing this and taking time to talk to us anytime.
Speaker 10: Welcome to it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. For the past few weeks on Executive Disorder and some regular episodes of this show, most notably the DSA Red Scare, I've been covering the ongoing battle for the future of the Democratic Party, spurred on by a recent wave of elect victories by DSA in Pennsylvania, Colorado, and most notably New York City, where last month the DSA doubled their block of Socialists in office. This episode is another installment in this informal series, and this time we are going straight to the source by talking with the co chair of the New York City Chapter of DSA, Grace Mauser, in an interview where we talked about everything from the chapter's electoral strategy to their theory of power, and what organizers can learn from New York City DSA's recent string of success. So, without further ado, here is my interview with Grace Mauser, co chair of NYC DSA. To start on like the most like broad picture aspect, what is the Democratic Socialist of America If people are not super familiar with like what the organization actually is or what the point of the organization.
Speaker 11: Is, thanks so much for having me. So DSA. Democratic Socialists of America is a political organization. Legally, we're a nonprofit. We're five to one C four, which enables us to engage in a lot of different types of campaigns, including electoral campaigns. But also we're very involved in labor work, and we often partner with unions and with brink and file workers for both internal union reform purposes and external demands. We do issue based campaigns. For example, in New York City, our Immigrant Justice Working Group ran a very successful effort to conduct Know Your Rights trainings earlier this year that trained over five thousand people in the city. So we do a lot of different types of things, including social things we have like book clubs and softball leagues and things like that.
Speaker 10: The run Club is a very formidable political group in the city.
Speaker 11: The run Club is very popular. It's true, it's true. They've really taken off. And how we are structured is that there's a national DSA so national organization, and then there are I believe over two hundred chapters all across the country. New York City is by far the largest, I think for more than twice as large as the next bigest, which is LA And the chapters engage in localized work, but then we also try to have participation from chapters on national campaigns and questions. I would say, we're you know, we're not a party, not usually Americans that some people are call some party or think we're a party. We don't have a ballot line, but we do run people in primary elections, usually in Democratic primaries, because we want our members to select and endorsed candidates that they think will represent not only their interests with the interests of a broader working class space. And then we want people who are elected to actually collaborate with DSA and other outside organizations in a real and serious way that the Democratic Party simply does not encourage and sometimes even even tries to stop.
Speaker 10: So obviously, within the name of DSA, there's democratic socialism and socialism kind of broadly, what does DSA mean by socialism? I mean, I've seen multiple articles specifically in the Atlantic, really really concerned about what socialism means and the quote unquote Trotskyist tactics that Dsay's is employing. There's been a whole of whole bunch of media coverage being scared of, you know, communism and socialism. But what does like DSA mean by socialism?
Speaker 11: ESSAY is what we call a big tent organization. There are a lot of different ideologies that are members embrace. Some people are more social democrats that you might find to be the standard in some European countries. Some people identify as communists, for example. So what we need by socialism we try to make really concrete and demand base. We're looking at things like universal health care, passing bills like Medicare for All. We are trying to make housing more affordable by expanding the role of government in the housing market through things like what's around Mamdani just help do freezing the rent.
Speaker 12: We are trying to make universal.
Speaker 11: Childcare free, right, like public education as it currently exists is functionally socialists.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 11: It's the government providing free education and childcare for millions of children, and for some reason, it arbitrarily starts at five years old. We're saying, what if we had that but a little bit sooner. So we try to center our demands on these really material ideas. One because it enables not only leftists of all different stripes, but all sorts of people to come in and identify with these ideas because they know it would help their lives.
Speaker 13: But also because.
Speaker 11: Winning these things will take a very long time. So my day to day is not so much concerned with or the economy should look like in one hundred years, but what we can achieve in the next five, ten, twenty years. And you know, even if I'm not a communist, but if I were, we're not going to be a communists in ten years, right, So what matters is actually making people's lives better now and using the government to do that, which you know American politicians socialists and not have done for many decades before.
Speaker 10: You were talking about like DSA is organizing to like see what the country could be like in like five to ten years. And I think something that people might not be aware of is the past work that New York City DSA has done the past five to ten years.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 10: I think people certainly saw were drawn to DSA around the election of Zoran And you know, maybe this most recent like slate win, but this is this has been kind of a long term project of like building power and experimenting with electoral strategy and canvassing and like this this specific path to victory. So could you speak a little bit how NYCDSA has achieved like this winning streak, especially like in the past year, and like the build up to that winning streak.
Speaker 11: Definitely, New York City DSA really got serious in twenty sixteen, both because many people were inspired by Bernie Sanders and then many people were horrified by the ultimate victory of Donald Trump in that presidential election. In twenty seventeen, we took on our first electoral races in the modern era. There was two city council races. We lost both of those, but we did learn a lot and we gained a new members around Donnie via one of those races. But something we learned is that we could certainly run field campaigns, and by field I mean canvassing and door knocking, But we also saw that hey actually a lot of the skills that are required in other parts of the campaign, communications, political maneuvering, fundraising.
Speaker 12: And budgeting.
Speaker 11: These are also things we think that our members can do, and we really tested that out in twenty eighteen. We endorsed AOC that year. But in some ways the bigger chapter project was Houli, our state Senate race, where we had members not only on staff but also basically helping in the volunteer capacity almost every aspect of that race.
Speaker 13: And we won.
Speaker 11: So from there we learned that we could teach ourselves and begin to replicate the skills of not only canvassing, but all these other skills that the political class and the consulting class in particular want to believe that they have a monopoly on that they're so hard to understand that you simply must pay them tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 12: So we have built out from there.
Speaker 11: We have now sixteen Socialist in office at the state legislature level, not only in New York City but also in mid Hudson Valley and in Buffalo, and we have four city council members and now three Congress members.
Speaker 13: Some of those came posts.
Speaker 12: Eron, but most of them caname pre Zoran.
Speaker 11: And it was just really nose to the grindstone kind of work, knocking on a lot of doors or replicating skills, fundraising from small dollar donors. And we lost some of our races. I think we've probably lost a little less than half of the races we'd won, but we took some big swings about strategic swings. So these kind of skills developed over time and really formed the foundation and the backbone of Zoran's campaign. So for many Durans seemed to come out of nowhere. But his first campaign event, his field launch in December of twenty twenty four, when no one had really heard of him as a series candidate, had five hundred people at it, which I would guess is bigger than any other candidate had at any point in the race. And that's because DSA members knew him, were really excited about what this meant, and also knew exactly what kind of work would be required to make this race successful, and it was work of basically building out huge infrastructure and knocking on millions of doors so that we could talk to voters.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one of the most impressive things is this sort of like like parallel campaign structure that DSA has has developed that you don't need to go through the regular channels of like consultants, sort of like inside baseball of politics. And I got people do often get very confused about like what the word like party means, right, because party in you know, Europe in something very different than what it means in the US. But in terms of running in primaries, the DSA often has to go up against the party infrastructure of the Democratic Party establishment itself. And the fact that DSA has been able to, especially in the past two years, like out organize the local political establishment has been like one of the most impressive feats. And like I've been able to see this in person. I'm in Brooklyn in the you know, the past two months, I had multiple DSA canvassers come to my door. I received a truly absurd amount of Mayer's. There was you know, people canvassing on the sidewalk, you know, all the time you know, same thing, same thing in Ridgewood and Queens. A lot of canvassers there, especially going into the mayoral race. Something that's stuck in my mind a lot is I used to live in Atlanta. Some like friends of friends, people I didn't know, but people I kind of loosely knew of were paid to do canvassing for the twenty twenty four presidential election for the Democratic Party. They were basically just operating kind of like a scam, like they did not actually do any of the work. They basically sat in like a parking lot and scrolled on their phone. And something that makes the DSA's form of canvasing so different is that the people who are actually involved in it actually care about the political project, right, They're actually like invested in these candidates, invested in, you know, putting forward this like working class politics and are not just getting a paycheck from the DNC. And that changes the way that they do canvassing on the ground. I know this this is something that you refer to, is like the DSA difference. Could you guys briefly touch on like what the DSA difference like represents?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it really for me starts from the endorsement process, which is very long and white rigorous, but also extremely democratic, and because of that, people really feel bought in to the races that we endorse. I mean, if you come to an endorsement forum, it's said over and over again, if you would not personally be interested in canvassing for this candidate, do not vote to endorse them. And that's a kind of an easy standard we try to share with members on top of a lot of strategy and data consideration, and there's a lot of things that go into it, but for as that like will you go to this? If not, how can we expect others to that initial buy in, That initial ownership that members have over what races we've run and why really extends then into the entirety of the campaign. So our campaigns do have staff, and of course larger campaigns have more staff, but we also have a practice of really elevating volunteers who show capacity and interest to be more engaged in strategy. So canvassers are also strategic actors.
Speaker 13: That's sort of the first.
Speaker 12: Rung of engagement.
Speaker 11: I mean, canvassing could just be like, oh, go out and do this, but we really actively seek to create a feedback loop between canvassing and other parts of a campaign. So not only is canvassing data of course very critical and tracking ID progress and things like that, but we also teach our field leads to lead canvases, to solicit feedback, and to systematize that feedback. What do you hearing on the doors? Did you meet anyone interesting? Should we follow up with that person? And I've seen in real time our messaging overall change because of feedback that canvassors are getting on the doors. From the next rung, if a canvasser is really great and excited, we often encourage them to become a field lead.
Speaker 13: These are pretty.
Speaker 11: Intensive and high responsibility jobs. So these people manage logistics, they run trainings, they move materials around if there are problems or questions that come up during a canvas or after. They're the first point of contact for these volunteers. They're really quite skilled leaders, and we try to create as many of these people as possible, And that's kind of the next rung of engagement from there. It sort of varies from campaign to a campaign, but on most of the campaigns that I've seen, you have robust volunteer teams around all of these functional areas. There's a fundraising team who are trying to execute not only comms and digital strategy, but also peer to fear fundraising and house parties. There is a communications team who, yes, we're closely with staff often, but is drafting and helping produce a level of content that you know, if you're a state assembly race and you have two staffers, it's pretty hard to produce as much content as you might want.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: There's research who are helping do oppoh and helping figure out what stories we might be able to place in the press. So these areas that can be pretty opaque in some ways and are not often a visible part of the political process, we really try to open up and invite people into and then we talk openly about that in our debriefs and also in our endorsement inforums themselves.
Speaker 10: And I guess something else said people might not be fully aware of that. There's cause there's kind of like two ways of like fielding candidates. Candidates can be DSA endorsed, and then you can have DSA members who then run for office and for the people who are more kind of like outside of the organization but seek seek a DSA endorsement. If they secure it, they then get access right to this, to this, this whole like on the ground like organizing network and that, and that could be very appealing, But there's certain things that endorsement is like contingent on in terms of like platform. As you said, it's a pretty it's a pretty intensive process actually to get a DSA endorsement. After the series of victories New or DSA has has had the past few months, has that affected the size of the membership in like any like notable ways? Is like is that grown the man up on the ground volunteers like that? What the next campaigns are? Oh?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, I mean, of course we are subject to like macro political trends. Right, we see large jumps when there's a presidential election, like we saw it in twenty sixteen. I saw it again in twenty twenty and in twenty four But you know, not every campaign results in a huge membership boost. I think they do all result in a large capacity boost because even if we're not gaining new people numerically, we're expanding the skill set of people who are there. But last year, certainly we gained a lot of a lot of members between the time that Zaron announced his campaign in the fall of twenty twenty four, and now we've almost tripled in size in New York City, and between the primary elections this year, so June twenty third and today, so about a month, we have gained over a thousand members.
Speaker 13: So we are obviously.
Speaker 11: Helped along by like high profile wins too that the media is really interested in covering, and then we get kind of more eyeballs on our ideas and more interest in the project overall. So there are some some wins that results in a lot of members, but every win I think expands capacity, and even losses expand capacity because we're teaching people these skills and we're able to better replicate ourselves for future cycles.
Speaker 10: I'm sure, as most people are aware, we are right in the middle of like a huge debate right now over the future of the Democratic Party. And you know, this debate is being waged onlines, being waged in the newspaper, it's on TV news TV, and most importantly right in the in the primaries right and then eventually the general elections. You know, it seems like every week The Atlantic has a new article out about how scary the Democratic Socialists are as I mentioned. I think today they put out a brand new article about like the secret like Trotskyism of DSA.
Speaker 11: I saw that, which I mean, all these articles suggest to me that they neither understand DSA nor do they understand the history or ideology they're comparing us too.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but it's been really interesting, especially after the winds in New York and Colorado and Pennsylvania, hopefully in Wisconsin. But this past month we've seen more and more like establishment democrats join people like President Trump and Fox News in effectively declaring war on the DSA and like the left wing of the party. And you know, there's this idea that you see in The Atlantic Washington Post that you know, communists and socialists are taking over the Democratic Party. But I think for a chunk of the people listening to this show, their concerns are probably more of the oppositet running as a Democrat. These Democratic Socialist candidates risk being captured and like brought into the very party establishment that they're trying to oppose. I guess i'd like you to speak on what is the nature of the DSA's relationship to the Democratic Party.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean the thing about the Democratic Party that I think a lot of media and political pundits miss is that there's no one to have a relationship with, right Like the Democratic Party is three boys in a suit, like there's no one to talk to. That's why they can't act like a party does in Europe. I mean, of course there are electoral and ballot reasons for that as well, But the Democratic Party does not really organize either voters who are Democrats, right Like, no one has ever attempted to organize me as a Democrat because I am a registered Democrat. Nor is there really a serious effort to organize Democratic elected officials as a block and move in the same direction like that infrastructure simply doesn't exist. So I feel like the risk of being captured is only a risk in so far as DSA does not try to keep our own people organized and acting as a block, which is very much central to our project. And in New York City, for example, we have weekly meetings with both our state legislators and our city council members, and now we have regular meetings with administration officials as well in the mayoral administration that try to keep us all on the same page when we have a big project that we're moving on together. Like tax the rich was this last legislative session, we do really active organizing in those meetings, like Okay, have you talked to your colleague about this bill?
Speaker 13: Will they move?
Speaker 11: Do we need to pressure them someway from the outside, or do you think you'll get somewhere in internal conversations. So to me, I don't feel worried about being captured by the Democrats because the Democrats don't have the infrastructure to capture people. The people who can capture you are like moneyed interests, right, big corporations, and sure sometimes they act through the Democratic Party, but for us that's such a clear red line that they don't feel super concerned about it. The more complicated questions are not so much of capture, but of when do we compromise right? Sure, we could be a block of people who vote know on every budget, right, every state budget, every city budget is politically compromised.
Speaker 12: It's not enough.
Speaker 11: They never tax the rich enough, they never fund public services enough.
Speaker 12: It's never good.
Speaker 11: But if we always say no, then can we.
Speaker 12: Get any any wins?
Speaker 11: What kind of wins are the you know, the non reformist reforms we might be looking for and deciding that collectively doesn't mean our choice is always correct, but I think it's much more likely to be correct than if we let even someone who's that committed Democratic Socialist kind of go out on their own and try to make those decisions by themselves. The collectiveness and the connection to DSA, I think is the biggest barrier to the capture that people are worried about. Whereas if we just say no to everything, if we ran as third party, I think, well, if we've been as third party, I don't think we'd ever win. But if we just say no to everything and our orientation is as like a morally upstanding group that.
Speaker 12: Doesn't achieve anything, I think we lose.
Speaker 11: Our credibility, not only in the eyes of like the political class and of other politicians, but in the eyes of voters. Right now, we can look at a voter have a conversation on a door about how we are.
Speaker 12: A different type of.
Speaker 11: Politician because look at what Saran has already done. Saran FROs your rent. Yeah, we are the group behind Zoran. Don't you want more people like him? And if Soran hadn't frosen the rent, that would be a much harder conversation to have.
Speaker 10: No it is really easy to point to the like the delivering of goods and be like, yeah, this is what we are about, and this is actually you know, improving the lives of workers, and like that is what matters. What else is this whole project for? I can understand that, you know, people are concerned with like the idea of like holding politicians accountable, right, holding politicans accountable to this you know, working class platform that they're running on, that they were elected to represent that the organizing put them into office to fulfill. But I think one of the biggest ways to do that is through a mass membership organization like DSA, because not only does it provide you know, campaign infrastructure which could help them get re elected if they stick to this vision, but it also provides this sort of like like like social bond, this internal process to stay being tethered together while they are serving or occupying a seat of power. And once you're occupying a seat of power, there is obviously constraints on that power and there's going to be contradictions that arise, and I think a lot of people, especially online, view those contradictions as like a bad thing. That's like a reason to not engage in this project. Alternatively, I think those contradictions are actually very often a good thing. Like this that is a sign that history is in progress, that we are actually moving forward and we're going to seek to resolve those like over time, and dealing with those contradictions is good in this sense that we have to deal with them. We actually we are at a point in our strategy where this is something to be dealt with as opposed to not engaging in this sort of strategy like at all. Right, And the power that politician has that is running on a working class platform, Their power comes from the working class, and the DSA is the manifestation of that, and DSA can be an anchor. But I think there also is these like questions of like this like long term vision, right, or if ds candidates are just going to have to like administer capitalism in a more equitable way, or if there really is like this the kind of bigger vision to increase the power of the working class towards some sort of you know, ultimate class struggle for socialism. And I guess, like is that like balance in their heads between this sort of like equitable administration and like this ultimate class struggle.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it certainly is.
Speaker 11: I mean thinking about how we actually permanently change power structures and not just kind of mitigate harm. I think is one of the things that separates a socialist from progressive. Sure, some ideas that I'm really excited about that I would point to that that.
Speaker 12: Do some of this.
Speaker 11: This didn't pass, but I think something like the pro Act absolutely would that expand and makes it easier for workers to organize themselves and empowers unions is part of that structure and central to what democratic socialists want to do. In fact, right now, Actually in New York City, there is a bill held by City Council Member Tiffany Caban, who's a DSA member and a City Socialist in office, called the Delivery Protection Act that would functionally make it extremely difficult for Amazon to consider last mild delivery workers as individual contractors and force them to be employees of Amazon, which one makes sense, like it's crazy that all these people in Amazon trucks that you see all the time are contractors when functionally they're not. Everything that they have to do is controlled by Amazon, and doing that we're partnering with the teamsters on it because doing it would make those workers unionizable. Yes, and that's a huge workforce in your city. So that's kind of the labor example. Another piece that I'm really excited about. So yes, Ron throws the rents. That's an extension of government power in the market. But one thing that is really promising is that the administration is exploring how to legally recognize and empower tenant unions in a way that you know, workers' unions are recognized, so that tenant unions actually have bargaining rights with a landlord. And we don't have all the answers for how that would look, but that's I think another example of a type of reform, a type of policy that is explicitly socialist and is actually trying to permanently change the power relationship between tenants and landlords, just as joining a worker's union changes the power relationship between a worker and a supervisor.
Speaker 13: So I'm not saying we have the.
Speaker 11: Perfect answers across all policy areas, and certainly there are policy areas that socialists will will advocate for and get behind that I would consider more progressive because our country and society is a very harsh environment for many people, and mitigating harm is in fact something good to do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but it.
Speaker 12: Cannot be the sole thing we do.
Speaker 11: And backing these types of non reformance reforms ideas that change power structures is central to our work.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think this sort of tension between this sort of more like social democratic administration of capitalism and like just pushing for you know, like the revolution or something is of false economy, and oftentimes it can resemble the This is bad referencing Twitter, but there's this old tweet that's like, don't siege Leningrad, take it immediately, Like, don't build work in class power, just do the revolution. But if you look at like where the labor movement in the US is right now, we are so behind where the movement was in the twenties and thirties that allowed workers to extract the New Deal. We have a long way to go to be able to really threaten capital in a serious way. And these minor social democratic policies, rather than being a release valve, could in fact provide workers more autonomy and the extra time needed to organize and keep building power. Like Another thing from Zoron's rent reforms is that the administration is advancing a new rule that landlords could only request proof of income or a credit check, but not both in apartment applications, and like, that would be huge for people, right, And there's there's ways to do small stuff like that well also, you know, in a bigger sense, trying to just increase the amount that our society is socialist. Right, that's through public ownership of utilities and key industries, commodifying necessities of life like housing or food, and democratizing the workplace. I've been yelling about the Protect the Right to Organize Act in my personal life a lot lately. I've been kind of just like evangelizing about the pro Act because that that is something that like, if that, if that gets past, that would be one of the biggest boosts to working class power that we've seen in probably decades.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and I mean having Clara val Does is a labor organizer, like that was her first organizing experience, and yeah, there's no one like that in Congress right now, you know.
Speaker 13: So I don't know that.
Speaker 11: Her first move will be the Proact, but it's certainly top of mind for her.
Speaker 10: That kind of relates to one of the las quests I want to get to. But first, let's do one last ad break. Okay, we are back. How does the DSA actually communicate with and relate to a broader working class base, like like a broader working class like coalition, right, Because this is the politics that DSA is about, and this is the class that DSA is trying to like uplift. What exactly is like the nature of the relationship between DSA and the working class.
Speaker 11: DSA is striving to be a multi racial working class organization.
Speaker 13: I would say that right.
Speaker 11: Now, the majority of not entirety of our membership, not only in New York City but also nationally are our working class. We embrace it pretty broad definition of that, because the only way you get class solidarity is by you know, refraining from nitpicking who is middle class, who's working class, who's working for and like separating the interests of those groups and recognizing that basically anyone who relies on their own labor in order to live is working class and they have a lot more in common than the people who live off of their own wealth, and that we should be united in basically finding the interests of the uber wealthy who run our lives and run our economy. So I would say we're already a working class organization, but we want to become one much bigger and also more diverse, more people in different types of industry, more people from across different demographics. It's trending that way over the last.
Speaker 12: Couple of years.
Speaker 13: But we need to get more of.
Speaker 11: The people who vote for our candidates to also take the plunge into becoming a member and into actively organizing to better their own conditions.
Speaker 13: So I'm excited about.
Speaker 11: How things are heading in that direction. It's also true that becoming all to racial working class organization in the US is notoriously difficult. You know, a country that's divided violently not only by class divisions, but also by racial ones. So we have an uphill battle. But I think we're moving in the right direction, and voting trends showed that too. Like Claire Valdez one a majority of Hispanic election districts in her area do I lead to one of majority of Black election districts in her district. So I think we're seeing that these ideas have more and more mass appeal as voters are looking especially as establishment democrats who are really just continuously failing to stand up the Trump and more people are saying maybe we need to try something different. What's the socialism all about?
Speaker 10: There was an article in your Times by the time you were listening to this, like a few weeks ago, looking at like the voting data from the last June primary, and it showed like the divisions in voter behavior between like DSA candidates and either progressive or establishment candidates was not largely divided by race, but rather by age. Yes, And I think that is another significant factor in this.
Speaker 11: And we're also I notably holding on to millennial voters. I mean, trends show that, unlike previous generations, millennials tend to stay fairly left as they age, in part perhaps because millennials aren't really gaining well as we age.
Speaker 10: The capital system has nothing to offer though, Yeah, so yeah, why why would you make like the fiscal conservative turn to close out a A few weeks before the June primary, Canary Mission started getting very scared of the dssay. They put out this big, this big post on you know, the the slate candidates. But once something that I found to be more interesting rather than just like, you know, talking about who these candidates are, they focused a lot on like the organizational structure of New York d Essay and how quote New York is the testing ground. The machine is already being built. The machine doesn't stop unquote, which sounds kind of cool.
Speaker 12: Yeah, right, they made they made it sound like.
Speaker 10: Cool if you ignore all of the like horrible evil parts of the Canary mission right up, they kind of make New York d Essay sound pretty cool. How you know? It has all these members almost like one hundred thousand volunteers, all these field leads that coordinates with candidates once they get into office and maintains that connection, helps them, helps them stay accountable.
Speaker 11: It's funny too they treat it like a big secret, like they're revealing something when like I literally just told you the same, right, Like it's not a secret.
Speaker 10: But you know, considering stuff like this and the dsa momentum' seeing across the country and the reaction is getting from the GOP, the president and the Democratic Party establishment, what can organizers and you know, chapters around the country learn from New York City dsay's electoral strategy or like, what's what's something that I think New York DSAY is doing that that you would like more people to kind of understand or you'd like you'd like people to like, you know, learn from or like take take something away from what we've seen in these past few campaigns.
Speaker 11: Yeah, one thing, especially after Zoran one that I noticed is a lot of people were really focused on his charisma and his communications strategy, which Zoran is certainly charismatic, and his communication strategy was really strong and very intentional.
Speaker 13: But to me, his community cation strategy would have.
Speaker 11: Not gone anywhere if one he hadn't been saying something real that people resonated with. I mean, people are not totally fooled by an empty charismatic vessel. I mean, otherwise Jack Slosberg would have won in New Year twelve I think. But also there was an extremely robust field strategy that meant when someone saw a video wasn't inspired or interested, they could immediately find something to do to act on that feeling. And often they could find something to do basically within a mile and within a week of where they lived, in what day.
Speaker 13: It was the.
Speaker 11: Core of this run campaign was not communication that was fueled and building up that structure and that muscle can take a lot of time. You know, it's hard to jump from zero to a mayoral race, but it is possible if you build out the kind of deep ownership from like an endorsement process, and also a culture of not only valuing volunteers but really like depending on volunteers. Like, the campaign doesn't work if volunteers are expendable, if volunteers are treated as like an ancilliary.
Speaker 12: Nice to have.
Speaker 11: It only works if volunteers are both treated and truly are essential.
Speaker 12: And that kind of creates a culture.
Speaker 11: Where people are valued, where they become friends, where they keep coming back, or they talk to their friends and family about the campaign.
Speaker 12: Or things spread out from there.
Speaker 11: So what I would say both to DSA organizers in other parts of the country, but also just general organizers who are interested in replicating some of the success, I think culture sure is really key centering people who are not staff, who are not the politicians, making sure that the experience of the campaign is actually built around the experience of a canvasser and.
Speaker 12: Moving up from there.
Speaker 11: And that's how you get a campaign that is not only accountable to the people who are building it, but that's really fun and positive and grounded and people in place and not just in like kind of ideas and videos and things like that.
Speaker 10: So yeah, yeah, No, there's a real material aspect. It's not this just like idealistic kind of abstract thing that you're participating in or you believe in. It's a real, like material process. It's a real engagement. One of the funniest things I've seen recently is that there was a Wall Street Journal article where they sent one of their hit piece writers to attend all these DSA events, and the write up is essentially, uh, yeah, I had a great time at all these events. Everyone was really nice.
Speaker 13: I saw that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there was like one of our one of our incoming assembly members, Yappasar du Bac, was like given a shout out because he like remembered someone's name, and I'm like, yeah, I don't know organizers remember people's face. That's that's a central part of our work.
Speaker 10: Where can do people learn more about DSA or New York DSA online or by any other means?
Speaker 11: So, yes, if you're in New York City or even near New York City, you can go to Socialists Dot NYC.
Speaker 12: There you can see how I joined DSA.
Speaker 11: You can look at our events calendar, which is robust.
Speaker 12: We're at a point.
Speaker 11: Where we have basically at least three events every single day that cover a wide range of geographies across the city, but also interests. There's a run club event on Friday, if that's of interest to people.
Speaker 12: If you're not in New York City, there is almost certainly a chapter where you live.
Speaker 11: You can go to DSAUSA dot org to join, but also to find your chapter, find out about national work that's going on, especially as it relates to like the ongoing imperialist wars we have that's often held by National DSA. So definitely encourage everyone to check those things out.
Speaker 10: Thank you Grace for coming on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: Bradley Whitford.
Speaker 10: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today, joined by James Stout and Robert Evans.
Speaker 8: Surfie's also here.
Speaker 10: Sophie is also here. Allegedly we were talking West Wing before this.
Speaker 8: And Sophie has been excommunicated.
Speaker 10: Sophie said something that Robert will not let us repeat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we legally can't repeat it. You'd all go to prison and we would be right to send you there.
Speaker 10: West Wing is in the TV show.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: In this episode, we're covering the week of July twenty second to July twenty ninth, James some small things to start.
Speaker 8: Yeah. So today, on the day that we are recording, which is the twenty ninth of July, the United States and Saudi forces conducting strikes inside Iraq at what they are calling Iran backed terrorists. Comes after Iraqi National Security advisor earlier this week suggested that Ukraine was responsible for strikes inside Iraq, which is a thing that isn't true. Iran again attempted to target US bases in Jordan today, but at the time of recording, the US military reporting that smissiles were all intercepted. Iranian strikes from Kurdistan have continued, and Reuter's is reporting that Iran is soon to receive Chinese shoulder fired manpads. It's man portable air defense system. Women can use them too, probably not in Iran, but these are part of what Royce is saying is a recently signed deal between the two states. China course denying it, but that would be very interesting, right considering that it was a shoulder launched manpads that shut down the jet that triggered the massive SISA mission a few months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always funny when something comes around like this in the history of like military colonialist adventures overseas. You know, it wasn't that so long ago that we were sending man pads into Afghanistan and the Soviets were going, Oh no, all of our helicopters.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, it's just beautiful how cyclical nature is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, here we are finally. I want to talk about the TPS Temporary protect States of Fa Haitian people. So a few weeks ago on a Supreme Court special we spoke about the court case that effectively ended this protected status right and it is set to expire this week. We know that this will impact as many as three hundred and fifty thousand people are going with a number from Haitian Bridge Alliance. There a lot of these people that are going back. Is no an option, it's not in any way going to be safe for them, or they just don't simply have a place to go back to. There. Many of these people will have US citizen children who therefore will not lose CPS right, but it did. It's unclear what exactly, or I mean, I think the administration, she probably doesn't give a shit what happens to their children. I'm going to keep reporting on this or already rumors of ice rates targeting Haitian people. I'm going to try and get some folks on from HbA or one of the other avocacy organizations. But I'm going to wait a little bit, just to see how things play out in a couple of days. But I'm afraid whatever happens won't be great.
Speaker 10: The House approved the one point one five trillion dollar twenty twenty seven National Defense authors Sation Act, then a two hundred and sixteen to two hundred and twelve vote, largely on party lines, though six Democrats voted in support. The version of the bill that passed includes Section two nineteen, which expands cooperation between the US and Israeli militaries, specifically the co development of military technology and joint training and information sharing to deploy jointly develops technology. The budget contains seven hundred and fifty million for these US Israel joint programs. The bills currently stalled in the Senate. Core documents revealed that last October, the Trump administration canceled nearly eight billion dollars of clean energy grants by explicitly targeting states whose Electoral College votes once to Kamala Harris in twenty twenty four, or who have two senators who caucus with the Democrats that is Georgia, and lawyers for the part of Energy just explicitly lake this out in court doc saying that's how these grants were selected, was on these political lines.
Speaker 8: Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 10: Last Friday saw the White House Press Correspondence Dinner Take two. President Trump delivered a rambling monologue with what we're supposed to be jokes to very tepid reactions from a largely friendly audience. Once again, Trump joked about running for president. In twenty twenty eight, wolf Blitzer presented an award to the Wall Street Journal and their reporters for their reporting on the Trump signed Epstein birthday card, sparking a ten billion dollar defamation suit from the President. As wolf Blitzer presented the award, Trump laughed from his seat on stage before shaking hands with all the winners. The dinner, which ostensibly is to celebrate the free press in the First Amendment, took place the same week that the Trump administration subpoened New York Times journalists, their spouses, and one of their moms following Times reporting on the security capability of the Katari gifted Air Force one. The DOJ withdrew those subpoenas last Thursday after pressure from a federal judge, but that was not the only instance of press freedom coming under attack from the government justice last week. On July twenty second, the nonprofit newsroom Breakthrough News reported that they received a congressional subpoena from the Republican controlled Houseways and Means Committee demanding quote internal communications, financial records, and more. A letter to the outlet from the House committee said they were quote unquote disturbed by the outlet's connection to quote Chinese Communist Party linked organizations unquote, and that the committee was investigating connections between quote unquote tax exempt groups and foreign nations. This was, of course, following the State Department's left wing terrorism summit that we covered last week, and parallel to Mark Rubio's crusade against Cuba and what he sees as Cuba aligned left wing organisms. The People's Forum, a PSL linked left wing anti imperialist protest organization and community space in New York City which was named in Rubio's Cuba report, was also subpoenaed by the House Committee. The People's Forum was one of the organizers of the humanitarian aid trip to Cuba earlier this year.
Speaker 2: I've got a fun thing to talk about, all right, let's do it. What's fun. There's an article in The Guardian that just came out July twenty eighth that is about this new company based out of Austin called Campus Guardian Angel, which is taking lessons from the Ukrainian War and applying them to US public schools, specifically in Ukraine. They've seen a lot of luck in stopping breaches of areas of like the front of trenches and stuff using waves of small drones.
Speaker 10: Oh, I've seen this video. I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 8: I haven't hit me with it. Come on, I want to see this.
Speaker 2: These are waves of drones that can launch mace and pepper balls and have like they've got glass breakers so they can fly through windows.
Speaker 10: They would have fucking sent a drone swarm to stop a school shooter, yeah, as they wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The thing is with a drone swarm, it can't be a coward, which has historically been an issue for the cops.
Speaker 2: Right, it is true, this could work better. The problem is that in terms of actually stopping school shooters, this actually might be a lot more effective than calling the cops. I'm not going to say I don't think it's possible that this could work. Yeah, but everything about the press around this says tells me this company is also building itself as a way that, like school administrators can use drones to fuck up kids who mispay Sure, no, I can see that being it. That's that's kind of the what I'm expecting, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, you're going to get maced by a drone.
Speaker 2: I want to read a quote from the article here. They could be flown from thousands of miles away and support two way communication through an embedded speakerphone, allowing the company's response team to engage verbally with a threat or communicate to teachers in school staff campus. Guardian Angels website stated this allows our team and our op center to communicate to law enforcement officers verbally with messages such as follow me and I'll take you to the suspect, or open the door and we'll go in and clear the room, and.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what you see.
Speaker 2: And it's the whole thing about going after the suspect that I'm like, I can see this also just these drones being swarmed after some kids smoking pot or or somebody on earth like a suspicious looking backpack to some shitty AI like visual identification system that because you can't have a guy on the cameras at all times.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is going to wind up saving as many lives as it is causing drone related assaults in public schools, but I guess we'll see.
Speaker 8: Fascinating.
Speaker 4: The video is great.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I want to see the video, can I You should?
Speaker 10: You should look up the video.
Speaker 8: Campus Guardian Angel. That's got a lie for Campus Guardian Angel.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 8: And when someone I hear that phrase, the first thing that comes to my mind is pedophile. Yeah that's what I That's what I'm thinking when I hear something. Okay, watch video the first active shooter suppression service. I'm sure that's true. All right, here we go, got a couple of cops.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Still it's still blurry. I still can't quite it's still well, it's having a long thing. Okay, here we are, here, we are okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, This does make me think about what if the latency is bad between the camera and the drone operator flying an armed drone through a public school.
Speaker 8: Okay, we're here, we're watching a bunch of news clips. Board man is giving a talk.
Speaker 2: That's the Navy seal who runs the company.
Speaker 8: Okay, I see, okay, Wow, the drones are moving down the corridor. Fuck me, they're sitting some little boxes. There's a cop. Cop has a gun. Oh, there's someone in a balaclava. He's surrendering to the drones. He's down surrendering the Droughts' on the.
Speaker 2: Ed from front footage of like Russian soldiers surrendering the drones.
Speaker 8: They don't Yeah, these guys. Okay, there's this guy's playing a shooter. He has a BB gun. A couple of drones have got him cornered. He's not shooting at.
Speaker 2: Them, though, Cowards, cowards.
Speaker 8: Okay, he's someone from Seminole County Public Schools. So the drones live in a little box and it opens, and I like that they've done blue lighting. It's like a white box with blue lighting. Like it's very game. A little drone carrier, Yeah, a little little drone box. Here he comes he's breached through the window. Whoa, they're sucking up a dummy. That's the cliff look at it. Go they've missed. They've missed a few times. I noticed if you look closely. Yeah, way off, he's fucking way off. All right, I'm not I don't trust these drones about this. They're like, what if there was a child nearby?
Speaker 14: No, literally, that was my first thought was like, this just makes it easier for cops to shoot people accidentally.
Speaker 8: Or an AI drone to shoot someone by accident. They're going after the same dude again. He's running away. Oh, he's cornered, he's gone to ground. He's surrendering.
Speaker 14: Wait, it's probably guys that couldn't pass the cop exam.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the ones flying the drones.
Speaker 8: Yeah, in this POV, it looks like someone's manually firing because the drone has like a crosshairs in its video. Now I'm seeing the drones POV. They're coming out their little box. That's the Navy seal in through the window and he's surrendering as this shooter again, he's surrendering. They haven't really engaged with the hypothetical what if the shooter doesn't surrender to the groan all there's flying laps around him.
Speaker 2: Whoa, they took out the whole dummy.
Speaker 8: The whole dummy fell over. Okay, yeah, that's the clip wild stuff. Well, Nick, they can strobe them as well. I guess. Wow, there's a lot of cops in tactical gear. None of them have gone in. They've sent the drone in instead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that seems realistic.
Speaker 8: Okay, Yeah, the guys like baffled by the number of targets and just live down surrenders. This is great. I can't see this being used to harass teenagers for doing things that every teenager does.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to talk a little bit about an article that just came out very recently in the New York Times about a metadata center in Louisiana. Now, obviously I've talked about data centers a few times in the fairly recent past. I did a dedicated article on the fight against all of the different kind of grassroots activism campaigns against new data center construction. One of the ones that is not really in any danger of being canceled through local protest is a massive Facebook data center in Richland Parish. It was originally had to be like a ten billion dollar data center and has now ballooned to like a fifty billion dollar project. Facebook was not originally planning to construct in Louisiana. They were taking bids back during the Biden administration. I don't think the state was really on the map, but officials, particularly in the very poor county of Richland Parish, had a problem, which is that they at least fourteen hundred, four hundred and forty acres to Toyota to build a factory, but Toyota had decided not to around two thousand and six. I think in part because the factory was proven to be unensurable because it's a floodplain. So basically they were like, we're not going to spend billions of dollars in a factory we literally can't ensure in a place that's famous for having infrastructure destroyed by hurricanes. Yeah, So Richland Paris had a problem. The area was already economically depressed, and Energy, which is a Louisiana state power company, also had an issue, which is that they were not making enough money. So their CEO, Philip May, decided he wanted to put Louisiana through as a dark horse contender for this massive fucking Meta dat center, and they wound up winning, and they basically wound up winning through promising to be corrupt on behalf of Meta.
Speaker 8: Right, there was a bill.
Speaker 2: Being pushed at the start of twenty twenty four because, like the thing they offered Meta a bunch of incentives, and the only thing they couldn't offer them was like a tax break on the different kind of materials you buy when you're building a data center, and everywhere else that Meta was considering had already offered those. So in April of twenty twenty four, Richard Nelson, the state Revenue Secretary, was kind of helping to shepherd through a bill that was a tax rebate for fiber optic equipment, and they just wound up changing it two months to a massive tax rebate for data center equipment.
Speaker 8: Amazing, super fucking corrupt.
Speaker 2: But also here's the thing, nobody in Richland Paris really cares because these people are incredibly fucking poor and Facebook is bribing basically the entire county. There's some sort of local law they have that if there's like an overfunding in county tax revenue, then like teachers get a bunch of money. And so because of how much money Facebook is pumped in. A bunch of teachers in the parish got like a fifty thousand dollars bone, And that's like the lowest level of what is effectively like legal bribery going on at every level of life in the parish. So there's no chance really that anyone is going to protest or stop the construction of this. People are enthusiastic because Meta has turned a fire hose of money on one of the poorest counties in the United States. The problem is that, as I've said, the project is really obviously fucking doomed. Again, it's uninsurable because it's in a fucking floodplaine, And the actual text of the arrangement that Meta inc basically gives them the ability to bounce and leave the project within like four or five years, leaving Energy and a bunch of other Louisiana interests on the hook for this entire massive project if say, a hurricane comes through and renders the entire side inoperable. So it seems like this kind of thing that's going to cause a massive problem and like destroy the local economy at some point.
Speaker 8: But there's so much.
Speaker 2: Money being slalommed out to people right now that I don't think anything's going to stop that. So I guess we hope that the obvious thing doesn't happen, but I kind of think it's going to anyway.
Speaker 8: Louisiana Nice. Let's talk about the public charge rule. So the Drive administration has announced that it will do away on September eighteenth with the DHS rule on public charge determination. That rule came into effect in twenty twenty two, so in the Biden administration, they're not making a new rule at this time. They're taking away the old rule. So what we will have to go off now is a text in the Immigration Nationality Act, and presumably they will issue some guidance soon. Right, whatever guidance, the issue is likely to be more restrictive than what we had in twenty twenty two rule. Right, they did publish a public notice about this last year, so we knew that this was coming, that they had planned to rescind this rule. And we should talk about what public charge is. We can go back to the nineteen ninety nine guidance and that's what was clarified in twenty twenty two. For a definition. That guidance says that someone who is likely to be quote primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance or institutionalization for long term care at government expense, can be inadmissible to the United States or ineligible for permanent residency. This doesn't apply to some permanent residency applications like sijas, especially immigrant juvenile green card applications, tou visas, assylies, or refugees. Some other categories, including those in the Finance Against Women Act. Public charge has generally been understood to mean cash benefits, right, so SSSI or TANF would be the ones that like be generally understood to be that if somebody received those DHS, I guess it would be USCIS could find that they would be inadmissible. Somebody who is found inadmissible for this reason previously could post a bond and still be admitted. Right Just to the bond is basically saying I'm not going to be like a burden on the United States State. Right. Yeah, we're not exactly clear what they're going to do next, but we can look at the DHS pressor for some clues, which says quote aligning immigration with law and congressional intent that aliens of the United States be self reliant and not dependent on taxpayer funded government benefits. This could be really bad, right. There are a lot of different benefits people take advantage of. To include free school meals, to include things like a snap, to include wick, right, to include rent controlled housing, even right like they could draw this. I think what they're probably going to move towards is a sort of looking at the whole case thing, as opposed to a looking for specific things in the past. Another thing that we should understand is that this is forward facing, right. It's not just have they use this, it's are they likely to? An extremely broad interpretation of this could be very bad for people definitely looking to adjust their status. Right. So this is something we will keep an eye on. It's not ending yet. I just want to reinforce that it's on September the eighteenth. For people who are in these proceedings. This is something you should discuss with your immigration lawyer if that it pertains to you. I will include links to all the government press releases and the Federal Register pieces about this. If you want to read it yourself. Should take a break.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think so, and we're back.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about Texas, and normally that's not a hopeful thing when I say I'm going to talk about Texas. In fact, about eighty percent of the time when I come on to talk about Texas, it's because either someone in Texas committed some sort of horrible violent crime, or everyone's getting excited about an election and I need to tell them not to because it's Texas. This time, I'm here to tell you there's an election in Texas. You might want to get excited about the election between kin Paxton and taller Ico. Fuck what's his first name? I want to say, Tommy or James Tallerica. The election between Kim Paxton. I can't thinking about that fucking grifter. I can't stop every time I hear his name. But no, James Tallerico is not a grifter. James Tallerico might be a US Senator in the very near future because Kin Paxton is not doing too well. And if you aren't Texan, the name Kim Paxton may not immediately conjure, dread and discussed, but it should. I would be hard pressed to name a more scandal ridden, corrupt, and evil elected leader in the United States, and that includes Donald Trump. Before we get into Paxton's latest race for a US Senate seat, I want to tell you a little bit more about Ken Friend of the Pod, Ken Paxton K Pax, as we call him. I don't think anyone actually saw the movie k Pax, so that's not really a joke that's going to land.
Speaker 8: But I didn't know that was a movie. It was a movie, James.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and eight, when Paxton was a new Texas house member for McKinney, where my mom used to teach, the AP reported that he and another state representative had been accused by ethics watchdog Fred Lewis of greasing the skids to settle a contract with WatchGuard, a company that made in car video systems that record video directly to DVD for like The Cops and Stuff. Paxton and Byron Cook to state representatives were both found to have disclosed ownership in WatchGuard, but in Paxton's case, he didn't disclose his ownership until well after his two thousand and eight personal financial statement was filed. Shortly after the deal was made. WatchGuard net earnings increased year over year by two hundred and fifty percent, and Paxton and Cook sold their shares of the company for an undisclosed amount, but a lot of money. Paxton denies any knowledge of the company's state contracts and claimed he did nothing shady. However, per the barbed Wire Quote, Paxton claimed he had no knowledge of the company state contracts at the time, which he would have been required to disclose with the Texas Ethics Commission under state law. However, Associated Press reporter that Watchguard's website boasted that the company was held by an influential shareholder group that includes three state representatives. Perfect you hate it when you're dry snitched on by the company that bribed you now. According to The Wall Street Journal, after coming under Screwtiny, Paxton shifted his investments, including those in WatchGuard, into a blind trust. A blind trust is an account managed by a third party trustee without the beneficiary's knowledge to prevent a conflict of interest. However, the Journal uncovered text betweens Paxton and the trustee, who was a friend of his, concerning stock trades in twenty twenty, a violation of the blind nature of the agreement. Passion received two point two million dollars from his investment.
Speaker 10: So that's more like a sea through trust.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more of a see through trust, not so blind. It's more just here, you're committing a series of crimes. So he's going to get charged with securities fraud for this, and that case is going to wind on for a while, but not long, you know, kind of actually in the middle of this whole process of corruption. In twenty thirteen, when he's a state senator, he's entering the courthouse, like the state courthouse. Yeah, and a lawyer who'd just been ahead of him in lying at like the metal detector leaves behind a thousand dollars mont Blanc pen in the metal detector trade, and Kim Paxton steals it, and he's a video stealing it, Like the Dallas Morning News gets access to the video and publishes it. It's really funny.
Speaker 8: What a series of events.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In like twenty fourteen, Ken runs for and wins Attorney General of the State of Texas, and his opponent in the campaign, Justin Nelson, runs video ads using the footage.
Speaker 10: It is really funny to have top Cough be like, funny the most corrupt criminal in Texas politics, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Most and look really dedicated to it.
Speaker 2: You know, the big busiest criminal too.
Speaker 8: Just seeing an opportunity and taking it without a second thought is really beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, despite this, Paxton was still narrowly elected, thanks in part to spending twice as much as his opponent on the campaign.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty two, Paxton faced a primary challenge from George P. Bush, one of the C list Bushes, a nephew of the most recent former President Bush.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 2: This would prove to be one of Paxson's easier victories, even though he had been charged with and was still under investigation for security He's fraud, as well as at this point a separate federal investigation for alleged corruption in favor of an Austin real estate developer. I'm going to quote now from an AP article by Thomas Beaumont.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 2: Paxton responded by portraying himself as a Trump era Republican and Bush is the heir to a privileged political legacy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Pro Paxson organizations spent more than twenty million dollars, about twice as much as Bush and his allies. The race went into a runoff, in which Paxson defeated Bush by thirty four percentage points, So just a pansing yeah, on behalf of George P. Bush then one of the worst ass kickings in Texas state political history. It's beautiful stuff.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean this is a very very clear sort of like Neo con versus the New like mega Republican party matchup in which the Neo cons have just no no ground to stand on.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's it's also just like purely on like the shallowest basis of like what sounds good to a dummy. George W. Bush W is a nickname that's trustworthy.
Speaker 8: George P. Bush, P Bush.
Speaker 2: Bush anywhere just a bad idea.
Speaker 8: I do think twenty years of war in the Middle East have maybe maybe like dropped the value of George X.
Speaker 2: Bush stalkers George Bush anywhere in the.
Speaker 8: Thirty If we're doing George Bushes, I guess.
Speaker 5: Guys, we're talking about Texas.
Speaker 10: I mean even there, Yeah, even in Texas.
Speaker 8: A whole lot of people from Texas died in uh was we didn't need to have actually.
Speaker 2: I mean, even when Texans were voting for him, people had a tendency to say the man was all hat, no cattle. So I'm not super surprised about this, But anyway, Paxton beats Bush handily in the primary, and then he runs against Democrat Rochelle Garza in the general, and Garza entered the campaign with a three hundred page opposition research bio on Paxton, but also faced a really difficult quandary, which is, like, what can you say about Ken that voters haven't already heard and evidently decided they don't care about?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, This is like the same thing with Trump. Right, It's is like, yeah, how do you attest Yes, all of this stuff that's fucked up that we all know about? Yeah that like is it worth just retreading all this all the same stuff?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 8: And it just wasn't right.
Speaker 2: She loses too, not by as badly as George B. Bush, obviously, and Paxton continues to cling to office and scandal.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: In the years after his victory, his wife divorced him, citing the Bible. He was impeached by the state House, but then acquitted by the Senate. His fraud case ended in twenty twenty four with a judgment that he paid three hundred thousand dollars in restitution, but through it all he maintained enough Republican support to squeak by.
Speaker 10: I mean because he's been very powerful as the attorney general of that state. It has done a lot to help the Republicans in that state. And like a lot of yes, really ugly stuff has been done at the behest of and the help of Paxton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's wielded his power, and I'm leaving a lot of that out. I don't mean this as a comprehensive look at his past. We're kind of doing the greatest hits. I'm gonna have to do a bt be on the fucker. Oh yeah, k Bax deserves it.
Speaker 13: So.
Speaker 2: In that ap article, Thomas Beaumont interviewed two Paxton supporters, David and Nancy Lapp, who are retired conservatives from Woolworf Texas or Wolff Texas, and quote from that article, they described him as a conservative warrior who has been a victim of persecution. He's had a share of scandals, and almost all of them have, so it's not necessarily disqualifying anymore, said David lap seventy six. He's a flawed person, no doubt about it, but he fights for traditional American values.
Speaker 6: Oh man.
Speaker 2: He added that nowadays, as long as you're not in jail, that'll elect you, which is very true.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, that's not a wrong statement.
Speaker 2: But also you'll elect him David. Yeah, yay, you're making a choice now. There is much more to the tale of Ken Baxton's scum and villainy, and this isn't an episode of BTV, so I'm gonna save us some time and just discuss arguably his worst and most famous call as at Dirney. General Kin was elected after promising to be tough on crime and attacking his predecessors and opponents for being week on crime. And then in twenty twenty five, a Waco attorney named Adam Hoffman went on trial for sexually abusing his son's best friend during multiple sleepovers from the age of six or seven up to age ten. Jesus, the victim, initially told a forensic interviewer he believed Hoffman had ejaculated over thirteen hundred times in his presence. Hawfen denied the allegant although they did like a siemens, they looked for semen and didn't find any, so like, I don't know, but also get a clean stuff who knows. Hoffman denied the allegations and called the boy a liar. The jury wound up deadlocks, the judge ordered them to keep deliberating, and long story shirt, it becomes a mistrial because the victim did not want to testify a second time. Paxton's prosecutor struck a plea deal with Hoffman, So Hoffman, please guilty. But the plea deal includes no jail time or registry for as a sex offender for Hoffman. So that's pretty fucked up. And obviously it's Paxton's people doing this, but Paxton's the attorney general, so this really grosses a lot of people out in the case becomes a major avenue attack when he goes a primary challenge by John Cornan earlier this year in the Senate race.
Speaker 10: Right yeah, he challenges corn Indi, incumbent for Senate.
Speaker 2: The attention around this caused critics of Paxton to look into other cases. Per the textas Tribune quote. For instance, attack adds from Corn's allies highlight the case of a man originally charged with child sex trafficking who received a deal for a probation sentence, and Judge Royce Sparkman brought up another case in open court last month, noting Paxton had also taken over a murder for higher case that he oversaw, which resulted in a misdemeanor plea and a four day jail sentence. And of course Paxton still beat Cornan, So you could be forgiven for being like, what could take fucking this guy out right? Yes, points what could matter? And I'll be honest, I was really hesitant to have any hope about this race until extremely recently, But within the last few days a bunch of new polling has come out that makes this look not just competitive but winnable. The most striking example of evidence, you know, in favor of that would be a recent Texas Public Opinion Research poll that showed Tallerrico leading Packston forty five percent to forty after multiple other polls had consistently shown a nail bider of a race. Now, TPOR is officially a non partisan research group, but it is run by a Democratic strategist, so there's reason to suspect some favoritism here. The Texas Tribune and a separate article had this to say about the survey quote. The group's surveyed one thousand, forty eight likely voters between July fifteenth and July seventeenth, and as a margin of era of plus or minus three point four percentage points. Of those poll respondents, fifty three percent voted for Donald Trump and forty two percent voted for Kamala Harrison twenty twenty four, making the sample only slightly bluer than the twenty twenty four electorate, which favored Trump by a fourteen point margin. In Texas, Trump carried Texas by five point six percentage points in twenty twenty, two years after the last midterm held there during his presidency, and a recent New York Times SIENA poll from June found an overall tie in the race forty seven to forty seven percent, with Tallarico winning about five percent of Republicans.
Speaker 8: The most significant.
Speaker 2: Data from this recent batch of polling that has to be hopeful, though, is that Tallerrika seems to be doing really well among non college educated voters, which is traditionally like the strongest group for Paxton. That's the group that has carried him over the line consistently, and from that same article quote, perhaps the biggest outlier was Taller Rico's lead among non college educated voters, who favored the Democrat by nine percentage points forty five percent to thirty six percent. He led by one percentage point among those with at least a bachelor's degree. I don't want to suggest that the other races in Texas are going to go this well, right, Ted Cruz is currently about eighteen points ahead of his opponent, Colin Alred right now among non college educated Texans in twenty twenty four. And yeah, like so, I don't have a lot of faith that this is going to extend past tall Rico versus Paxton, But there is evidence that, like Paxton's longevity with the specific group that's carried him past the line is at its end, Like maybe there's just too much scandal for him to stand up next to someone who seems as like relatively squeaky and nice as tall Rico. Now, there's other things to credit Tallarico's successful One of them is that he's doing a lot better than Paxton in terms of like money. Right now, as of their most recent disclosures, Tallarrico's campaign is about twenty one million dollars on hand. Paxton has less than eight. And if you remember every other election I've got, or every other campaign of packins I've run through here, he usually had like a two to one advantage in funding over his opponents. So the fact that that's kind of falling apart for him too, suggests this might be a really winnable race. Now there are some reasons to doubt that too. Most polls I've seen show a number of undecided Republicans large enough to close the gap or a tie between the two candidates led by Paxton. And if that group all breaks for Kin, and historically they're likely to, things could be really close or wind up in favor of Paxton.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: One of the polls found about fourteen percent of voters of all political stripes are unsure of their picks, and among undecided voters, it looks like Paxton has the most room to grow. About nineteen percent of that block that they leaned towards the Republican compared to ten percent to lean towards taller Rico. But most of them were just totally on the fence, or at least that's what they said. So a lot is going to depend on how those people break. I'm not saying this is definitely going to go tell Rico's way, but if you're talking about, like what is a race where maybe the Democratic Party might want to actually invest money in. I'd say here, this thing seems winnable, and I don't say that about Texas races often.
Speaker 10: It is a very particular matchup. Yeah, Paxston has a lot of unique vulnerabilities. Teller Coosa's doing very well in pulls for Latino voters, up like forty five points ahead of Paxton, and that will be very crucial, especially considering ice, like that's going to be a big factor in this race. Yeah, there was an ice killing in Texas just a few weeks ago. Certainly a lot of funding could come to Paxton towards the end of the race. Sure, the campaign finest ratio could change dramatically over time. But I do wonder if the sort of strategy from the GOP right now, which is like paint paint Tallerico very early on, is it's like you know, woe gender ideology made will kind of run a little bit hollow now that Trump is in charge and Republicans control all branches of government and the sort of like economic issues that can not be blamed on like woke liberals sending you know, money to sex changes in prison. It's going to be an interesting race, very close, another close race next Tuesday. The Michigan Senate primary with Ice Israel in My Dreams Hailey Stevens versus Doctor Abdual Health site. They had their last debate on Monday, Elsie. It continually hit Stevens for her corporate funding sixty million dollars outside spending forty six million dollars of a PAC funding, and the moderator was really going after Stevens for this too, asking if if all this APAC funding will result in Stevens quote unquote doing their bidding, referring to a pack and with the pro Israel lobby. That interesting, and she also lied about receiving funding from the local utility company during the debate, So early voting for that's already started. The primaries next Tuesday will cover that on next executive disorder. Francesca Hong in the Wisconsin governatorial race also had a debate on Tuesday. Had not seen that yet, but she is really pulling ahead in polls right now, but that primary is still a few weeks away. But to stay on the topic of evil Republicans. On July twenty, first Speaker Mike Johnson dismissed domestic violence allegations against Republican representatives Max Miller and Corey Mills, saying quote, well, the keyword there is allegation, and then said that the House Ethics Committee would shake things out of those two reps. Max Miller of Ohio is facing re election in the midst of escalating legal issues, including restraining orders, a defamation case, and a custody battle. Maximiller ex wife, Emily Morano of the America First Policy Institute and daughter of Ohio Senator Bernie Morano, has accused Max Miller of abusing her and their daughter while investigating suspected child abuse. Mirano told Bay Village police that Miller yelled and held a gun to her head after she turned on the lights to change their baby's diaper Jesus. According to a police report, Morano told police but another domestic balance incident from earlier this year where during a custody exchange, Miller quote grabbed and threw her against the wall, which resulted in an obvious grab mark on her upper arm and bruising to her stomach and side where she hit the wall unquote. This legend incident also was in front of their daughter, and the police report later states that Rono's daughter told her quote Daddy kill you. Morano and Miller were married in twenty twenty two, and Morano filed for divorce in August twenty four after telling Miller that she wants a divorce. In June of twenty four, Rono alleged that he threw hot, steaming water at her. In a recorded phone call, Miller admits to what he refers to as the water incident after his wife said on the call that he abused her and quote poured steaming hot water on her neck. On the call, Miller said that the quote unquote water incident wasn't done with quote unquote intent to hurt his wife. Morano told police she moved out of the house because she was quote unquote scared of him.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 10: All of these allegations came to light earlier this year after Morano discovered her two year old daughter's collar bone was broken after the child came back from Miller's house this past February. This prompted a cascade of investigations and back and forth court filings, which eventually made their way into news reporting. A Bay Village police report investigating suspected child abuse stated that a child protections specialist found that the two year old's broken collarbone was accompanied by a bruise that quote appears to be in a handprint and appears to have been inflicted. According to another police report obtained by mother Jones, Rono recounted her daughter saying, quote, Daddy's house is scary. Miller, of course, denies all claims of abuse or domestic violence, and has theorized that the broken collarbone was possibly caused by a seat belt.
Speaker 8: Why is a kid wearing a seat belt? Shouldn't they be in a car seat when they're two?
Speaker 10: Yes, this was part of the investigation because Miller said this okay, and he had to show police that he had properly installed a car seat. Right after news outlets reported on the spousal and child abuse allegations, Miller filed the deformation suit against his ex wife, and this is not the first time Miller has used a deformation suit to shut down allegations of abuse. In twenty twenty one, Stephanie Grisham, a former White has Press secretary in Trump's first term, wrote in The Washington Post that her unnamed boyfriend from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty quote unquote got physical with her, that their relationship quote unquote turned abusive, and that her ex boyfriend had quote anger issues and a violent streak. These claims were later included in a book, but earlier that year, Politico reported that Max Miller quote pushed Grisham against a wall and slapped her in the face at his Washington apartment after she accused him of cheating on her unquote. Max Miller psued Grisham for quote libelous and defamatory false statements made about him, but he dismissed the case in twenty twenty three after agreeing to a settlement, though Grisham is now suing Miller for breaking the settlement's nda by publicly claiming that Grisham fabricated in abuse allegations against him while defending himself against new allegations of abuse by his ex wife. Max Miller's abuse allegation, it's been a sort of open secret in Washington for a while. When George Santos was dealing with his whole thing a few years ago on the house floor, he referred to Max Miller as a woman beater. H I talked about how he didn't want the publican party to just turn into repeating media attacks against each other. As he was being kicked out of Congress. Wild he is running for re election in Ohio. Yeah, and Miller has maintained support from Republicans in Congress, and it's been backed by the President for years. Let's go on a break and then discuss some more news.
Speaker 8: All right, we are back, and I want to update people on the Iranian American Legal Defense Fund versus Rubio case we spoke about a few weeks ago. So I've reached out to Public Citizen about this and they haven't got back to me. I'd love to do an interview with them, have worked with them before and some access to med stuff, So hopefully someone from Public Citizen will listen and reply. But we have learned a lot from the new filings in this case. One of the things we learned that was the people were required by ICE to meet Iranian government officials, the very people they had fled to the USA to be safe and protected from. It seems that the person who met them was introduced as a consul, but around obviously doesn't have a consulate in the United States, right, they have the Iranian Interest Section which is in the Pakistani embassy. This person had information about their cases in other cases, they were told they had to take calls from the Iranian interest section and they wouldn't be allowed to return to their housing pard until they spoke to them on the phone. In one of these calls, the Iranian officials that they had a transcript of the person's credible fear interview. That is wild, right. So the credible fear interview is when people explain why they fear going back to where they have fled, I what it is that they think the Iranian state in this case is going to do to them. So what the credible fear interview will will have detailed for these people would have been their participation in jinaar Amini protests. I saw that in several of the testimonies. I've also spoken to dozens of Iranian migrants who participated in those protests, were arrested, released and realized that they were going to be arrested again and fled or fled before they arrested. Or their participation in the Christian faith. You see that in a lot of the testimonies. In this case, if they're Innian government, have them write down they are Christians. They were distributing bibles, they were evangelizing like it is absolutely not safe for these people to go back. Some of these meetings that the Paito have occurred right here in San Diego, the O time Meca Attention Center facility. People were bought to the Iranian government official and the official then sat down with them and tried to persuade them to return to Iran. The official had a list of names of people who they were going to meet and they read it out, so even some people who weren't there, their names were read out. So it was like the officials either selected these people or were told by I studies people were One of the people named the individuals mister Meherbadi, and he threatened that they would be sent to quote Africa. So this is the United States doing either its chain refoulment or it's sending people to third countries deportation.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: We also see a lot about the current state of the asylum system in these declarations. One person attests that she has been and will be tortured in Iran. The judge responds to her that everyone gets tortured in Iran. In their interview with the quote unquote console, one person said they were told by the consul even in the US if you are political, the same things can happen to you, which is very clearly a threat. Right. The regime agent also knew when her husband was being deported and to where, so he had that information before he met this woman. In another case, someone testified, then ICE agents said I will force you. This is my job, and this was with reference to signing self deportation papers. They cuffed the woman and then quote, he literally forced my fingerprint by forcing my finger to a stamp and then on a paper, no matter how much I tried to take back my finger, which is pretty wild. It's not the first time. I should add that we've heard allegations of them doing exactly this. So many of the people in this document are women who have stories exactly like the Iranian women I met the Darien Gap. Many of them also say they took that route. They went from a run to either Venezuela or Brazil and then traveled north from there. They also give details of their attention conditions, which are predictably appalling, right, with one writing quote water here smells very bad and we are always itchy. We all have red dots on our skin that have also gone away on my body after I started antibiotics and then skipping a bit. The dental care here is unbelievably dangerous. Any happening with teeth, and they only extract. The doctors here have already extracted three of my teeth and have told me they will extract another three more when my antibiotics were over. I have always taken care of my teeth. They also talk about the I was just quote from one of the one of their statements here. This disclosure and that I'm adding this of asylum information to the Iranian government. Returning to the quote here has materially increased the likelihood that I will be tained, interrogated, or tortured or killed if I ever returned to Iran. Another said, when I saw him talking about the Ranian consul, I was disgusted with the US government by forcing us to meet with agents of the regime, which I told my pod manager. Many of these people have been in detention for more than a year. It seems like most of these people entered in twenty twenty five. A member of staff at the Iranian Interest Section also called the Iranian American Legal Defense Fund and informed them the United States State Department had approached the Interest Section to ask for help getting rid of Iranian detainees. That's a quote that last getting rid of The Iranian officials said they met monthly with ICE to select individuals for deportation, and the ICE provided their asylum applications to the Iranians. At these meetings, they said they met with someone of Indian descent with Georgetown degree, who is described as the General Director of the Middle East Section. The meetings stopped when the war with Iran began, but apparently they still delivered documents, or at least a were delivering document in March. This core from the Iranian Interest Section to the ILDF is wild. It involves this Iranian official recounting, for instance, that on the first deportation flight September of last year, two people cut their wrists with razors, presumably attempting to end their lives rather than go back to Iran. It also details how in many cases, the United States can't that the people's travel documents together because if they fly vire a third country to Iran, right there's no direct flights between the US in Iran, and so these flights end up not being as full as the United States no doubt hopes. He also says that the clothing and state of the detainees was so poor that the Iranian government official purchased some clothing from Costco with his own money. He also said that at no point did the United States ask Iran to guarantee their well being in Iran. The official kind of posits himself as like intervening on behalf of the Iranian people to make sure they're treated correctly. Right, which is how generally one would expect the consular administration of a state to intervene on behalf that it's in. This though, is different because these people are fleeing the very government that he represents. Right. I will keep covering this. I will also link to the court listener page where you can read these testimonies. They're all handwritten. They can be a little harder to read so some times, but there's some really shocking and upsetting stuff in there.
Speaker 10: For me, if you've talked about this already, and maybe this will help us for some listeners too, Like how does this relate to the asylum laws that the United States has? Like have they been denied asylum in so called immigration courts? And this is the process for removal? And how is that actually like decided because like these people seem to have, like in the testimon as you're reading, very credible fears to the point where they're attempt to like harming themselves to avoid going back to this state.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it seems like most of these people entered after Trump came in with his Day one effectively like southern border crossing asylum ban, right, and so they are having to fight their cases from detention, which is what they are doing. In some cases, they are already appealing because the government has found that they don't have a credible fear or that they're otherwise not eligible for asylum. The reason the ILDF knows about these people is that that is what it is doing as a nonprofit group, is helping them fight fight their case. Is sure, it shows a pretty fucking bleak situation. Like people do still get asylum. I hear about it occasionally, you know, I hear from friends in the community who do court accompaniments that they occasionally have a success still, But with the way that the Trump administration is purging the ranks of immigration quote unquote judges, that's getting less and less likely. So, like these people are in that system, many of them are either in ever spiraling delays, right, because we have few and few of these judges because they're getting purged. More judges are coming on board now, or they're already appealing or going through the CAT process Convention against Torture process.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 8: These are the sort of asylum claims that are like in the bullseye of what an asylum claim is. Right, all of these people in there, I didn't want to read them out because I don't think there's any reason to traumatize people. Nearly all of them detail torture. Most of the women detail sexual abuse. They talk about the horrific things they went through on the way here to Like, this is like friend and center of what you would think a textbook asylum case would be normally. And there are exemptions for some Christian minorities or religious minorities from Iran who largely Christian people ran some of these visa bands. But these people didn't come that way. Whether they didn't come by applying for a visa, they came across a southern border. Like, it's very possible that one of the people in this case is somebody I met in the darying gap, that the timing would line up It's been really fucking upsetting for me reading these things.
Speaker 10: Thank you for that context. Earlier this episode, we talked about attacks on the First Amendment as a part of the Trump admins cracked down on the left. But before we close, I want to go over a novel case of state repression against an Atlanta based activist. This is a first of its kind case focusing on an extreme privacy feature of graphene os, an open source operating system for Android phones. This feature is known as a dress password, a special code that, when inputed into a phone's locked pass word screen, triggers a wipe of certain data on the phone. Last November, a federal grand jury indicted an Atlanta activist for allegedly wiping the data on his phone after being detained at the airport upon re entering the country in January of twenty twenty five. US attorneys to say this was in violation of Title eighteen USC. Section two two three two A, that is the destruction or removal of property to prevent seizure. The short, single paragraph indictment reads that the defendant quote did knowingly destroy, damage, waste, disposed of, and otherwise take any action to delete the digital contents of a Google Pixel cellulair phone for the purpose of preventing and impairing the government's lawful authority to take said property into its custody and control before and during the search for and seizure of property by customs, said Border Patrol Tactical Terrorism Response Team Supervisory Officer JC. That's the name of the officer. Last week, this case had its first hearing, which was focused on a motion filed by the defense to suppress evidence and statements for violations of the fourth, fifth, and sixth Amendments. According to the motion, the FBI Atlanta Joined Terrorism Task Force coordinated with CPB to question and search US citizen Samuel Tunic as he was returning to the United States from the Dominican Republic because of his associations with the Defend the Atlanta Forest Movement or Stop Coop City, which we have covered on this show. Basically, after arriving at the airport, CPB put Tunic in secondary inspection where their Tactical Terrorism Response Team QUOTE proceeded to question mister Tunic, search mister Tunic's body and all his belongings, and insisted that he provide the password for his phone. Despite mister Tunic's request to speak with his lawyer and not engage in a further questioning, The officers insisted they could question mister Tunic and search his phone to determine whether he had child porn. Evidently this was a pretext for a phishing expedition into mister Tunick's connections with the Defend the Atlanta Forest movement unquote. A journalist Timothy Pratt reported in the Guardian that during last week's hearing, it was revealed that, unbeknownst to Samuel Tunnick, federal authorities had put him on a terrorism watch list, and that a Homeland Security agent circulated an email three hours before Tunk arrived back in Atlanta containing his name and photo and indicated he was being investigated for quote unquote suspected terrorism activities. I think it is important to mention that Samuel Tunic to this point has not been charged with terrorism and does not face any charges directly related to protest activity for Defend the Atlanta Forest or Stop Coop City. According to the defense's motion, Tunic early and repeatedly during questioning so that he would not speak without his lawyer, but the officer has ignored these requests and never mirandized Tunic. The motion states that the officers told him quote, because you're refusing to talk, which is you're right, we have the authority to go through your phone to see what we're looking for. After officers demanded his phone password a second time, Tunic asked again why he wasn't allowed to call his lawyer, and the officers responded, quote, when it comes to immigration and customs, right, it's a whole different ballgame, and we have search authority. We don't need a warrant.
Speaker 8: Unquote. I'm not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If this is something you are concerned about, then you should seek out legal counsel. I'm just going to give you my percenterstanding of it. This is a civil situation. Well it's also a criminal situation for him now, but like when you're entering the border, these are civil proceedings and so that that's why you're Germany not mirandized. Depends ending on where you enter the United States and what circuit you are in, they can inspect your telephone. My Idenmert understanding is should you refuse to unlock that telephone, you can expect to leave without your telephone. The general way that they do this is for them to put the phone on airplane mode and then search it because they are searching the device that is entering United States, not the remote cloud stuff that is not on the device, right, Because they are inspecting a thing that is crossing the border, right, and that is within their purview in most circuits in the United States right now as federal immigration officers. And then the other thing I would add, at some point, I think we're going to see a Supreme Court case about it, and this might be the one, right.
Speaker 10: That's very possible.
Speaker 8: Yeah, orbit there'll be other elements to this case, right, Like, as you said, who destroyed the data that was on the phone is something that's very much legally clear to me. Right, did Graphene destroy the data? Did the BP agents when they entered that pass code destroy the data? Right? Or did the person destroy the data?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: This this case is a whole bunch of legal gray areas. This is the first time we've seen a case about a dressed password the exact way this introgation went and introduces a lot of questions on when exactly this regular border patrol questioning turned into an actual interrogation based on allegations of a crime right with this mention of child sexual abast material and all those things could possibly trigger different legal statutes in various court cases. Now, the motion says that officers explained to Tunic that he would have to give over access to his phone quote, whether it was done with his cooperation or not. Eventually, mister Tunic provided a password to his cell phone and e reader. According to the government, when the CPB officers entered the password on his cell phone quote, the screen went blank, flashed several times, and the phone appeared to restart. After this, another officer entered the room to conduct a pat down, which Tonic did not consent to, but they did anyway. Then a DHS agent arrived with three other individuals to conduct another interview, which Tunic did not consent to and pointed to his attorney's card to quote from the motion again quote. The agent explained that he was seizing mister Tunic's electronic devices and that they would be returned to mister Tonck after thirty days. Notably, the DHS agent explained that mister Tonick was quote not under arrest, but once these gentlemen are done with you pursuant to your entry into the country, you're free to leave unquote. So this motion dispress evidence argued that the border questioning became quote unquote custodial in nature when mister Tunic was not able to leave, was never informed of his rights and was denied access to his lawyer, and so any quote, evidence obtained from his phone or lack thereof, should be suppressed as fruits of unlawfully obtained evidence. The specific statute that he's been charged with eighteen Usc. Two two three two refers to quote the government's lawful authority to take such property. So this motion is arguing that the exact way this properties was taken was not lawful. Yeah, to quote from the motion again, I think we'll expound on this quote. CBB officers introduced themselves to mister Tunick and explained that they were looking for people who are pedophiles. Officers justified their questioning and demands to search mister Tutuck's phone by stating that they had to confirm whether he possessed child porn. The government's reports do not indicate any suspicion whatsoever that mister Tunick was in possession of child porn, but rather that their purpose in detaining mister Tunick and scizing his belongings was to investigate his ties with the Defend the Atlanta Forest movement. To an unmorandized statement, the alleged wiping or encryption of the contents of his phone by providing agents with the specific power word is testimonial in nature. Mister Tonk had not been charged with committing a crime in connection with the Defend the Lanta Force movement, but law enforcements seem we took advantage of the relaxed constitutional protections at the border to try to dig up evidence unquote. And the motion states that circuit cords have contradictory rulings if this sort of search is permitted, if you can search someone's phone at the border, not to actually intercept digital contraband, but to fish for evidence in an unrelated criminal investigation. Now, something that may come up if this goes to trial is technically using Graphene's stress password does not delete all of the data on the phone, but rather the phone loses the ability to access its encrypted data. Graphinos wrote on x the Everything app quote our dress pin slash password leaves all the encrypted data on the device intact, it only wipes key in the hardware key stores the secure element and encryption metadata. It's a near instant, and then it powers off the device to wipe ram unquote. So basically it wipes what the phone needs to decrypt its contents and read the data. Though Graphene followed up on Twitter, quote, we doubt that's legally different from wiping data unquote, So this technicality may or may not actually matter to the court. But this might not be a sort of get out of jail loophole that I see some people online presenting it as. Graphinos further explained that the duress password wipe should be legal not because of this quote unquote tech loophole, but because the defendant quote wasn't being investigated for any actual crime, wasn't under arrest, wasn't reta his rights before being interrogated, it wasn't under oath, et cetera, adding that it's quote near impossible that they get anything of value if the phone was in before first unlock with a strong passphrase plus second factor finger print unlock set up unquote. Whether or not this stress password was used, it is very unlikely that federal authorities would have been able to break into a phone running the Graphine operating system. That means that the device has been fully turned off and has not been unlocked since being turned back on. Similarly, it is very hard to break into an iPhone running iOS's lockdown mode with a complex alphanumeric password before first unlock. The combination of all those things can make it really hard to break in.
Speaker 8: We saw that, right Reese with a reporter from get Who, one of the broadsheets whose phone was using lockdown, though they've said they couldn't open right. Yeah, I guess I will just say that, Like, if people want to know more about border searches and telephones, I would suggest going to Electronic Frontier Foundation's page eff dot org. They have a great deal of information and you can find a lot there. It's currently the Southern District of New York, which is the one that requires a warrant, but there are various other degrees that we don't have the time, nor is this a place for us to go over. So yeah, eff Rolway is a good source for the ship.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but like James said, this is a case that could become Supreme Court precedent over time. This is invoking a bunch of legal gray areas. The motion here to express evidence probably won't be decided on until it be October, so this is going to go on for quite a while. This is another new frontier in digital privacy and how that relates to the law, which the Supreme Court has taken up a lot of cases on recently. So this could become a very influential case going forward. So I wanted to go over some of these details now, and we will certainly be covering this in the future as this as this case progresses.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the outlook hasn't been great so far, I would say with this, like the US versus Belmonte Caddoso was the most recent case that was I think this week or last week. Again, not the place to go into this, but I will include a link in the source notes if you want to read about some of the case law.
Speaker 10: I think that does it for us today.
Speaker 8: Sake, and it could happen here.
Speaker 4: Oh good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if you would like to email us, it's cool Zone tips at proton dot me.
Speaker 10: I'll include the legal fundraiser for Samtochnic's case below.
Speaker 8: We reported the news.
Speaker 6: The news reported, We reported the news.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'll be back Monday, with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 15: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts can now find sources where it Could Happen here listed directly on episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.