Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to cool people who did cool stuff your weekly Joe that I'm Margaret Killjoy with me today is Andrew T Andrew Harlo.
Speaker 2: Good, how's it going.
Speaker 3: I'm loving the amazing economy of the intros thing.
Speaker 1: No orange eating on my time exactly? Wait, how are you doing on the orange?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: Secretly it's the same. Well, you ate the entire orange. I didn't notice, and we're on zoom together.
Speaker 2: It's really gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is one of your powers.
Speaker 4: It's a professional podcaster skill. Yeah, but I one a few.
Speaker 3: They were probably I would say I would. I'm going to guess there were probably twelve sections of orange. So if anyone can write in with the timecode for all the all ever each if you correctly can identify all the time codes when I an orange from the last episode, I'll send you a prize. Hell yeah, just tweet tweet Abby.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Our producer is Sophie. How are you doing today, Sophie Swell?
Speaker 4: I wish I had an orange.
Speaker 1: I wish I had an orange too.
Speaker 3: I don't have an orange. I'm the only one that's definitely orangeless. That's true.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. You could have a whole stash of them.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: And Ian is our audio engineer. Hi Ian. Everyone would say Hi Ian, including Ian. On woman wrote our theme music. Someone asked on the internet what song it is, and the answer is it is not a song. We said to a woman, can you write theme music? So I guess it's called cool people who did cool stuff the theme music.
Speaker 2: Theme?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's that's see. That's why you get paid. It's the writer. And this week we're talking about strikes for no reason. It doesn't tything that's happening.
Speaker 2: No getting paid as a writer.
Speaker 3: No one should be getting paid as a SUD writer for any of the companies in the AMPTP.
Speaker 2: We are on strike the Writer's Guild of America.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I I somehow, I guess Yeah, there was a crescendo in how I thought I should be talking. But no, being on strike is not is not a fun thing, although people are making it fun and people it's other people are making it fun, but people are refusing to be beaten down.
Speaker 2: And there is a difference.
Speaker 3: Although I do appreciate some some folks from other unions who have been standing in solidarity, not loving the celebratory vibe of it, especially the teamsters and nats who I mean, honestly, we couldn't do half of these sort of like picketting actions. The efficacy would go way down as far as like shutting down productions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that makes sense. You know, actors got I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say. And also thanks to SAG h for joining us. It's been awesome.
Speaker 3: And we'll see what happens with SAG and their strike authorization vote and their negotiation. But I suspect I suspect we might see them officially joining US soon.
Speaker 1: That would rule solo there. It is a powerful weapon, I hope. Okay, my story about this is that I'm in the movie Rent, and oh I didn't ask to be in the movie Rent. Wait you told me the story in person the other day.
Speaker 2: Spoilers. This is a great story. Oh my god, my plug story good?
Speaker 1: Please kill me. So I like needed to get home for this is when I was like a squad in New York City and it was like winter, and so a big coat and a big beard because I hadn't come out as trans yet and I'm playing Melodica and Tompkins Square Park and this film crew comes up and it's like they have a sixteen millimeter film camera like a bulex, and I'm like, I know what that is, you know, And they're like, oh, we're students. Think they said they were from NYU, I can't remember exactly. And they were like, can we film you? And I was like, yeah, I'm going to get some money out of this. This is great. I need to get some money anyway, so you can film me. So they filmed me and then they're like, I was like, hey, I need five bucks ago and see my family for Christmas. Can I at least get a couple of bucks? And so they pull out a bunch of money and they pull off exactly two one dollar bills and he hands it to me and he says, you get what you ask for in life, and I was because I said a couple dollars. In my mind, I'm like, I pretty clearly asked for five dollars. That was like a fairly direct ask. I didn't like beat around the bush around this. And uh So he hands to me two dollars and walks off, and I think to myself, that's the rudest NYU film crew I've ever met, You know, Jesus, it was Sony Pictures and uh. And so a year later, my brother's like, did you know you're in rent? And I'm like, I did not know I was in rent. And so the Washington Post wrote an article about it, and Sony didn't get back to them about it, and then SAG contacted me and was like, hey, can we represent you to Sony? Yeah, and they settled out of court for the amount that they pay extras. And I've loved SAG ever since. I've been pro union for a very long time. But it just was like nice to be like they didn't make any money out of that, Like they just did that because someone was being exploited by the film industry and they wanted to step in.
Speaker 3: So I guess it also helps that it was clearly documented, like you're clearly there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally received nobody.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, no, totally and uh and I have an IMDb credit because of that. So amazing, amazing, Yeah, thanks Sag.
Speaker 3: Yeah for real. I mean it is like, yeah, I will say I should I should have manned. As soon as I said it, I uh, And then you went into your story. I did want to say, I don't necessarily hope they joined us on the picket line. I hope they get a fair deal with whatever means it takes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. So speaking of solidarity and unions and stuff, this is part two in our two parter about the real life newsies, the Newsboys Strike of eighteen ninety nine. Yeah, I got that right. I always say nineteen said of eighteen when I do these things, but I didn't this time. Instead, now I'm just going to strike where we last left our gang of our plucky gang of shockingly violent heroes who may or may not have been very violent at all, as there are no reported deaths or any particular mention of hospitalizations during this wild time or whatever. They have gone on strike for not having their rates go up. And the strike is spread over all over New England and into the Midwest. And they've got two of the most powerful men in the world on their back feet with the most successful strike in New York City history. So let's see what happens next. I guess I already told you that the Empire strikes back or whatever. But the newspapers they're like, we're going to fucking stop this, and they started working things out between each other. They already had in terms of the price. I don't know if it's legally price fixing, but you know, they fixed the prices together. For one thing, the two papers made a deal that if one caved, the other had to pay two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to the other, which is about seven million dollars in today's money, as a way to like bet to like pay chicken with children, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, and that's a public thing. So they're like, we have we don't just have our normal skin in the game. In solidarity, we've yeah, put seven million bucks in s row. Yeah against in solidarity. They you know what, they put a ring on it. This is this is their pledge to each other. This is seven million dollars that we will stay faithful to each.
Speaker 1: Other absolutely and kind of in this we hate each other way, you know, in.
Speaker 2: This collusive business arrangement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so they were like, all right, well, we can't hire kids to sell these papers anymore, but surely we could hire grown men. Obviously, grown men can't be intimidated by teenage boys, said no one who's ever met teenage boys before it really Yeah, this plan failed spectacularly on several levels. So they hired a bunch of adult scabs. They tried to hire about seven hundred of them in the end, or they did hire about seven hundred of them in the end, and they were hired at really good rates. They got to buy one hundred papers for forty cents each instead of sixty, and they each got two dollars a day on top of it all. And the newspapers told the scabs that the reason that the kids were on strike is that competing newspapers had brainwashed the impressionable young newsies. And actually these two papers were very kind to their newsies, who had very good lives. After all, there's been all of these articles about the singing and the dancing. Maybe not the actual singing and dancing, but sure, so these grown men go out on the streets and news newsies follow them and beat them with clubs until they stop scabbing. They stopped seven hundred men this way. Also a lot of them, a lot of the ostensible scabs actually just supported the strike. As soon as they found out about it, they took their two dollars and destroyed their own papers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's probably some especially with this era of like labor and these jobs specifically like it's so wild that these like the management in this case would think, oh, putting like people putting your putting people in the shoes of the of the workers doing this like very difficult job. Is not is going to keep them on our side? Yeah, totally, Like it's it's the rate that we're quibbling about. Like, you know, any any sensible person would see this is a wonderful job for you know, human being, and it's like, yeah, you do the fucking job for like half a day and they're like, yeah, I strike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally totally. We talked about it in an episode last year the Battle of Blair Mountain, which was the largest armed insurrection since the Civil War in the United States, and it was a black and white miners going on strike and then being attacked physically with guns and bullets by the by the bosses. So they got their own guns and bullets and fought back rights in southwest West Virginia. And and that was that thing where they like, they like bring on all these strike breakers and actually to tie into race and unfortunate history of races. Usually what they do is that if it's it's a white union, they bring in black strike breakers, people who are you know, desperately or or whatever. And at least in Battle of Blair Mountain it just didn't work. The people showed up and were like, oh this sucks. Yeah, absolutely, we're with you, you know, and adults were like, what we're doing? What to children?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you.
Speaker 3: Have to imagine, like after a couple like, yeah, hours minutes of these margins with this work, you're like, this is fucking inhumane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm getting the good version of this, yeah, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 1: At another point, seventy five men went in to go sign up at one point in one of the papers, and they listened to the bullshit pr speech from the papers, and sixty eight of them turned around and walked away. Rather than so the seven hundred men they hired, that's probably outam yeah, ten thousand or something they tried to hire, you know. In the end, seventy five percent of the scabs were hired at two dollars a day quit before selling a single paper. It's unsure how much of that was solidarity and how much of that was a good club in bail stick problems require bail stick solutions. Yeah, I mean, also, maybe what they moved on to these paper bails with Okay, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's kind of be right, Like the tool of insurrection is between ten and sixteen inches of about an inch thick wood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: That's that is how you beat That's how you beat Magellan. That's how you beat Pinkerton's. That's like the thing that you have. Those sticks are around. It seems like there has to be just because of how buffoonish the management was in this case, there have to have also feels like ben word going around. It's like, hey, you can make an easy two box for free. It's a time show. Like you listen to a bullshit speech, take your two box, and then bounce.
Speaker 1: Yeah and throw the papers in the ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah because ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah totally, what are you going to do? Like id you on your Like yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh you'll never You'll never get to work as a newsy again, like yeah, get get Fox.
Speaker 2: Yeah totally newspaper owner.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'm an adult. I don't want that job. I just want my two bucks. So there was one problem that the boys had a harder time solving. Women newsgirls weren't hired as scabs, but there were all women who ran newspaper stands and or were just like kind of newsies, but in a different cultural sense, maybe standing near the base of the bridges. And many of them were on the striker's sid side, but some of them were selling the boycotted papers under the table or literally hiding them under their skirts. And this was a pickle because, as strike leader Kid Blink put it, quote, a feller can't soak a lady, and you can't get at them women's scab papes without soaking them. We'll have to let them get along. I guess anyway, we got Annie with us. You can bet there's no worlds or journals under her skirts. And they did indeed have Annie Annie Kelly. Annie Kelly didn't apparently have a nickname, which is also a power move. I think Annie Kelly one of the only newstand women attached to the strike in a more formal way. The New York Sun called her quote the brick of all women in the most faithful of strikers. Because she supported the strike, the strikers didn't harass her customers, and even without selling the two most popular papers in the city, her profits went up because there weren't picketers there, and because the populace supported the strike, so people would come intentionally to go to strike, supporting news vendors, and also she got customers from other places because the strike the picketers were at the other places. Other news women got mad at her. One of them, missus Corkoran, threatened her for stealing her customers. Annie Kelly's response was that she could quote tie seven missus Corkoran's into a knot, and that if missus Corkoran wanted, she could come over and fight. Missus Corkoran declined to go over and fight about it.
Speaker 3: I will say there is a little bit of like like Marvel logic here, and I know this is like obviously like we're in We're trapped in a prison of gender, and I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm gonna misspeak.
Speaker 3: I feel confident in this, but I guess it's definitely possible I will misspeak somewhere her but in you know, because in in, I think Marvel Movies is the most prominent place where this happens. But it's just that if there's a female antagonist, when it comes time for the big, big, you know fight at the end, you need a female protagonist to beat them up physically or.
Speaker 1: As a fella can't soak a lady.
Speaker 3: Yeah, truly, And this just says, this just brings me to the point of if you're going to run your union on street violence, this is why it's important to have a lot of diverse inn there so that you can you can opt you know, with good optics, soak anyone.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree. I think that this was a flaw in the street organizing. Yeah, yeah, so and Kelly Annie Kelly. The strikers viewed her as a patron saint according to the papers, and she's cool. The newsies set themselves up along delivery wagon routes and would ambush the waggons to destroy their papers. Three delivery wagon drivers. This is very reasonable. They quit their jobs because they didn't want to fight literal children anymore.
Speaker 2: It is it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, look and the way that labor actions do you know, begin to start to feel like a war. I mean, like again our current strike. We can't do anything without the teamsters. It's all about supply lines and optics.
Speaker 1: Man, totally ridiculous, totally, And speaking of optics, the newsies put up signs everywhere they says. They referred to them as pasting them up so I assume that this is wheat paste all over town, and I want to talk about wheat paste. Have you ever wheat pasted? I mean I have so long? Well no, In case anyone is interested, it is one of the cheapest methods to attach papers to a wall in a hurry. You take one part white flower to four parts water. You heat it up to almost a boil while stirring, and then that's it. You now have wheat paste. It's nicer to use it while it's warm. You've got to kind of use it fairly quickly because it'll eventually go bad. Because it's wheat paste. There's other stuff you can add to it. You can look up recipes about it, but it's a very simple thing. You slop it onto a piece of paper like paper mache, you attach it to a wall, and you keep going. And one thing that's nice about wheat paste again, historically I would never advocate anyone do this. It's like not as much of a crime as most graffiti, like because it's fairly non destructive. And so it's like, again, I'm not a lawyer or a crime advocate. I don't know if I can say that I'm not a crime advocate anyway. So that's a thing that the news is not a crime lawyer. Yeah, totally. So that's what the newsies did, fun historical anecdote. And whenever they grabbed huge bundles of papers, of the yellow papers, they called them the two boycotted paper. They'd like fire them in empty lots and dance around the flames.
Speaker 3: It is kind of awesome how everything kind of gets a little Lord of the flies, he.
Speaker 1: Pret I know, like these people are having a peak experience, that is what they are doing. It is a hard come down from this kind of experience. Imagine if feels like something like burning Man, only like really mattered, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right.
Speaker 3: It is like somehow the literal opposite of burning Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those same aesthetically the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At one point four hundred boys went on a rampage around Uptown removing the yellow papers from stores and stalls. They would like, literally they just like mob into a store, find all the papers, take them out, and burn them. Occasionally the children were caught and arrested, but others carried on. Many of the arrested wound up in prison despite being like eleven or fourteen or whatever. The public really wanted leniency, the courts really wanted punishment. The courts got their way right. At one point, the newsies raised about one hundred dollars or so is a strike fund, and they used it to a print eleven thousand copies of a circular that basically said support the strike. It was like a little bit longer than that, but I didn't bother quoting it because it kind of just as support the striker. They passed it out. They're very good at passing out news so that was probably pretty effective. One black Newsy William Reese with the nickname I'm not saying, he got arrested while not breaking the law, surprising no one in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty three, right, he was passing out the circular to support the newsies, and a cop arrested him for passing out advertisements against buying newspapers. Like that's what the cop said was the reason he wound up. Yeah, yeah, he wound up taken in front of the judge, and his defense was basically, I literally didn't break any actual laws and no one has accused me of breaking any actual laws. The judge warned him not to do it again and let him go.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, obviously, just immense amounts of bullshit there, but.
Speaker 2: It's it is so wild. Yeah, but there isn't a law against this, I.
Speaker 1: Know, and this happens every day. I'm certain, yes, yes, yes, like, but I literally didn't break a law. Well, don't do it again, thanks for the leniency. Later, two kids were arrested for breaking a law, which is that you're not allowed to beat people up. One of the union kids was white, one of one was black. The white kid was fined one dollar. The black kid was fined three dollars. Right, again, truly shocking information. And all the while, the newsies are still selling the non boycotted papers, So the boycotted papers they cover the shit out of this strike. This is this is the front page news while it's happening, right, because it's really catchy headlines, it's about children, and like they didn't like their competitors who were Yeah.
Speaker 3: It truly, please fucking Paramount, what are you? What are you defending Netflix for? It is so wild when they had this, This is heartwarming to hear that these people can.
Speaker 2: Sometimes stab each other. Don't even stab each other in the back. They should be stabbing each other in the front. I know they're in a fight.
Speaker 1: I know, and if you're in a fight, you might need a bail stick. And at bail sticks in porium, we sell only bail sticks, which if you go to our emporium you'll find out what they look like. I don't know because I've never been, but you, the listener, should buy a bail stick from us. And anything else that we're about advertise unless this is your only ad. Here're some ads and we are back. And so we're talking about how all of these other papers cover the shit out of the strike, and it is why we know so much about the strike. But it's also why I doubt a lot of the stories, as you think. I already talked about the golden age of newspapers making shit up if nothing else. I'm sure things were embellished or like quotes were invented, but I mean, I think the overall stuff is probably true. There's just like some specifics where I'm like, really, and there's like all these specific quotes attributed to the kids in the middle of actions, like the like quote I'm going to go distract that whatever anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's like, how in what world do you have this access you omnipotent narrator, like, what is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly. Later in the strike, Pulitzer and Hurst start physically threatening other papers into a media blackout on the strike. There's actually a whole bunch of information that we have from one of I didn't put the front on the screw, so I don't remember exactly. One of their business managers just like wrote things being like, I'm going to go threaten these people to not cover this, and it's funny. Yeah, threaten the other newspapers. Yeah, exactly, like this will work. I don't know whatever. Anyway, fuck that guy. He's represented nicely in the Disney version. He's like the nice guy on the bad guy team.
Speaker 2: He is not.
Speaker 1: And it never quite they never quite get a media blackout on the strike. But they do influence things, and I'll talk about in a little bit something that I think they pulled off. But the newsies they're individually doing as well financially during the strike as before it, which is fairly unique for a strike because the public supports them and tips them well for the papers that they are selling. At one point, this is okay. This is actually the most heartwarming of these stories, even though it's like not the most big deal. There's this union kid and there's this old man reading one of the yellow papers, and he just runs up and snatches the old man paper, and the old man grabs the kid, and the kid like explains the strike, and the old man's like oh, and gives the kid ten cents and lets him go for the ten cents for the bail fund or for the strike fund.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it is like you just kind of like it is a little like people never really know, especially when you're striking against media companies, like the whole story. It is remarkable in that regard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. It's like, I mean, fortunately these other papers are covering it, but they're more minor papers and they're not you know, like and and cops would have come in and attacked crowds of kids. The kids would drive off the cops by throwing sticks, stones, old cans, and at least in one place an iron bar, a pretzel vendor named crazy a Born donated fifteen hundred pretzels to the boys. So he was elected an honorary member of the union and started like giving speeches at their their rallies and stuff.
Speaker 3: Everything you say makes from the last episode, President davely more sinister. Yeah, every nickname, every new character, I'm like, not, Dave's the fucking craziest one of all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the kids kept trying to have parades and the first time the cops were like, yeah, you don't have a permit, and they broke it up. They stole banners, they arrested kids. This might have been a march over the Brooklyn Bridge. Again, lots of different sources of kind of conflicting information, in which case it fits into a long tradition of cops arresting people marching over the Brooklyn Bridge. So the kids are like, all right, fine, fuck it, we'll get a permit, and the permit was denied. Of course, organized labor is conspicuously absent from at least the histories I can find about the Newsies strike. There's only one thing I was able to find, and that is that the Newsies went to the local typographical union, Typographical Union number six, and they were like, hey, buds, want to help us out since you're like fellow union and adults. And the union was like, no, fuck off, kids, we don't want to stick our neck out for you, right, So fuck them real d GA vibes here. Wait, I don't know what's d GA.
Speaker 3: The Director's Guild, you know, I guess I don't have all the facts. But they they managed to close their deal with the AMPTP, the the studios and streamers, I think like a week early.
Speaker 2: To me.
Speaker 3: It has very questionable language in it, and they were so proud of it.
Speaker 2: They announced it.
Speaker 3: Like like nearly midnight on a Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So make of that what you will. But DJA classically has not could do best.
Speaker 3: Solidarity as some of the other entertainment unions we will say.
Speaker 1: Do better directors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, traditionally have not done the best job that they could do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't have all the directors.
Speaker 1: Why you got to be like Typographer Union number six when you could be like the News Dealers Association, the one organized group that had their back that I could find. They joined their strike about a weekend to the strike.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it sort of makes sense also because the news dealers presumably are sort of one wrung op from the newsies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, And I think that they're also a way more informal union there's no number in their name, right, and so On the seventh day of the strike, July twenty fourth, eighteen ninety nine, the Newsboys had a rally at a place called Irving Hall, which is near Union Square, which at the time was a German theater serving the immigrant community. A pro labor politician named Timothy Sullivan sponsored the meeting. Thousands of Newsies were in attendance. I've seen five thousand, I've seen seven thousand. The kids demanded to be let in early, and the proprietor was like, no, you can't give in early. It's like thirty minutes early. We so I got ready. So the kids smashed down the door, like stormed the hall for their own rally. Newsies came.
Speaker 3: Anyone that's been to see a show at Irving Hall knows you don't want to get there, So get there like forty five minutes, Like come on, kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is how you know they're kids. I know, I know they're not fashionably late. What's wrong with them?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Newsies came from Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Jersey City, and most of them were actually outside. It was about two thousand people inside and everyone else was outside, and there's like all of these things where like every one time anyone on the inside would cheer, all the kids on the outside would cheer. No, they had no idea what they're cheering for and stuff. It's very heartwarming. The meeting was chaired by newspaper folks from other papers. A lot of the adults who were there were city council folks and newspaper folks who had been newsies themselves, because that's the other thing about this strike, right, is that like a ton of poor kids had come up as newsies. You know, The Brooklyn Eagle is a newspaper that lasted over one hundred years. I think it stopped in like nineteen five these or something. And they sent the Brooklyn newsies to the meeting with a big, great, big floral horseshoe for to give to the best speech and have been donated by a local florist. And the two main messages of all the speeches, and the speeches seem to be mostly from the kids. The two main messages were basically like, we'll stick together and we'll win was one of them. And the other big message that the kids had was maybe we should stop beating everyone up. All the time. I don't know, it kind of looks bad. Bob the Indian said, quote, now I'm to tell you that you're not to soak the drivers anymore. We're going to try and square this thing without violence, So keep cool. I think we'll win in a walk. On the level I do, there's a lot of like most of the media narrators are like and then they all just stopped violent and everything went great, And like, I'm pretty sure that this was like a played for the cameras kind of thing and that they kind of like toned down the violence a little bit, but also the violence might have been exaggerating the first place. Yeah, anyway, it.
Speaker 2: Feels like I had to have just met in the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's what happened. Yeah, Kid Blink won the best speech of the night, and he won the horseshoe. I like his speech. Part of it is quote, ain't that ten cents worth as much to us as it is to Hurston Pulitzer, who are millionaires? Well, I guess it is. If they can't spare it, how can we? Pretty good, I know, And then he did like a no more violence part, and his no more violence part was like kind of a like. Look, don't get me wrong. I mean I was there with you do win the violence. I'm not saying it was bad that you did it. I'm saying that we've moved past that now. And then he also said, quote we won in eighteen ninety three and will win in eighteen ninety nine, but stick together like plaster. Kid Blink was the most famous leader of the strike. His name was Louis Bellietti. He was eighteen at the time. He was redheaded, he wore an eye patch, which he may or may not have needed, and besides kid Blink, he went by red Blink, Muggsy McGee, and blind.
Speaker 2: I'm in.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ, hell yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think he's the president of the Uptown Newsies. I can't remember exactly, but he has a sort of leadership rank in the elected system that they have. And the arbitration Committee reported how they met with Hurst. He'd refused their demands and didn't take them seriously. Said he couldn't sell the paper for less, like get out of here your kids. Annie was there, Annie Kelly, their patron saint, and people made her get up and give a talk. All she said and her entire quote Her entire speech was quote, all I can say, boys is to stick together and we'll win. That's all I've got to say to you.
Speaker 3: There is there is a real especially at a certain point in a labor rally or any kind of like thing like that, where you just it truly is like brevity will will help you totally. I know.
Speaker 1: I hate like just the speech is partly it's like yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's also like we get it, We're here, come on, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the applause for her ten seconds speech lasted for minutes. People really liked her. After the rally, tactics moved from attacking scabs to more dredging up support for boycotts, since the public was largely on their side, at least as that the papers generally report, they did keep physically confronting scabs. Then then the newspapers pulled their dirtiest trick yet and this one I actually can't prove, but hear me out. On July twenty sixth day nine, a bunch of newspapers and the non yellow papers reported that two of the main strike leaders, Kid Blink and Dave, had been spotting selling the boycott spotted selling the boycotted papers and that they'd been bought off and like taking bribes. So the newsies get together and they kind of like call a tribunal and they like show up and kind of drag their their leaders to this tribunal, and the two accused deny all charges, and the tribunal acquits them. It's like, all right, I think you're telling the truth. And and all that happened was that kid Blink stepped out of leadership and Dave stepped down to treasurer. And I think that these accusations were almost certainly scab jacketing, basically like being like claiming someone's a scap when they're not. There's a chance that the kids did get bribed, took the money, and then changed their mind and rejoined the strike. Also wouldn't put it past them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: That as again as someone in the middle of a strike. It has been shocking, like or not shocking, But I I have been consistently surprised, how I mean, partially because I am extra ready to believe that, especially people in the upper ranks of the guild.
Speaker 2: Are willing to scab. And yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It has been against my instincts, like pretty much always been.
Speaker 2: You know, shown to not be accurate or yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, it really is a big tactic to sort of turn us all again to each other and not to say that the like our guild is perfect or that the stratification within our guild is good or if it makes that much sense sometimes, but yeah, there is you know, probably not or there's definitely not as much scabbing happening as you know, the studio friendly media, would you have you believe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense, yeah, because they want to project the like, oh, these insignificant people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you know that while the rank and file our suckers for yeah, for going along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's totally class. That's really interesting that whole like nothing's changed in one hundred and twenty three years or whatever, twenty four years. Yeah, yeah, none of the papers actually had even seen the kids selling the papers. They just reported on rumors that other people had seen the kids selling papers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is also like such a it's so funny that like it would be such a PubL thing, like selling newspapers on a street is so much different than scabbing privately at your home.
Speaker 1: Totally totally and like and probably at this tribunal, if anyone had actually seen them do it, the tribunal would have gone differently, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: It would be it would have been very obvious if they were fucking selling news sapers on the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like no, I was there, remember, like, ah, what we're talking about. That's why we call you old Lai. Yeah, that's true. We at first I thought it was because you only tell the truth. Yeah, you're one of the it's one of the real nickname people. Yeah, you're standing next to Big John, who's actually tall. So I think that we thought, what are the odds. Yeah, it turns out this time were and so so. Dave was like, no, the enemy has fedi these rumors. Both continued to actively participate in the strike. The next day, on July twenty seventh, Kid Blink and a hundred friends went around in trash newspapers that are being given out for free at this point. That's how desperate the newspapers were, and which is part of my theory that they didn't actually entirely move away from violence. I don't know what it looked like to go trash newspapers in this context. You know, they might have moved firmly to direct action and property destruction and away from I don't know whatever. I actually don't care. I like support them no matter which of these tactics they're doing, right, I only care because I I don't like the convenient media narrative of like, and then they became good, you know, right, and I'm like, I don't know that it was good that they're like I'm not trying to make a moral judgment here about it, but it's like, yeah, I don't know whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, violence is violence is just another tactic, and yeah, it is so infrequently that the labor or the marginalized side that starts it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, like totally. Because also it's like you're talking about like literally starving to death at this point, you know. Yeah, like yeah, that's the thing. I like, I like, oh, they raised the raids, right, You're like they were making less than twelve dollars a day, and then someone was like, what if you only get seven dollars a day? Now, can you survive?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like no, Yeah, starving someone is just as violent as you know, snatching their news, substatching someone else's newspapers totally, or shoving throwing mud at a scab.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh So when Dave stepped down. A kid who loved gambling named Racetrack Higgins took over as president. So on July twenty ninth, the newspapers caved on a major issue. They didn't cave on the price. They actually for a little while a few days before this, they kind of were like, what about fifty five cents? And the kids were like, we're clearly winning. Fuck off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about fuck you? What about forty cents? Fuck face?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. The newspapers caved on a different issue entirely. They offered full buybacks of the unsold papers. And what happened is they came in and they're like, what about ten percent buybacks? And the kids were like no, and they're like twenty percent buybacks. The kids were like no, and they're like one hundred percent buybacks and the kids were like maybe right, And this actually effectively ended the strike. The strike leaders insisted that the strike was still on, but more and more people were like, nah, we we kind of won. This is good enough, Like the prices didn't go down, but the buy back was probably a bigger deal because you no longer have a situation where you're gambling in order to sell papers. Some newsies insisted that they kept up the fight, but most went back to selling the newspapers. And in August first, the union formally accepted the deal, and August second, the strike was over. And then the news Boys Union dissolved as quickly as it came into being, because it was an insurrectionary organization that existed when it was necessary and disappeared later. And that's not how all newsboys strikes went. Some of them created formal institutions that lasted, you know, for several generations and newsboys, but that's how it happened with this one. And you know what else is a formal membership organization is the new union that I'm starting called the Union of Bailstick Operators, where for the low entry price of you buy a bailstick and then think about what you think of not Margaret carefully choosing her words to not get in trouble. You can join the bailstick Union. And in case anyone's wondering, it's spelled b a l E like a bail of hay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think what we can all agree. You extra don't want to scab against this union.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're caught bailstick in without being in the bailstick union unless you're a farmer. Yeah, if you're a farmer, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, bailstick not that way.
Speaker 2: Not that way either. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's one of the ads. And then here's some more and we're back. So after the strike, life continued, it didn't unfortunately magically. That's like one of the funny things about strikes, right, is you like win and like until we win, like the destruction of capitalism. What we're winning is like things didn't get worse, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, and also, this is a thing that I have been wondering. It's gonna be hard to go back and work for these fucks after this. We all know too much about them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really.
Speaker 2: Is like, oh, you are fucking hateful people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. God, and then it's gonna be like really obvious who's just being like pretend nice in order to get up, Like you know, like who's like just kissing ass in order to like start fuck their way up or whatever? Yeah, because you'd be like, no, I know, you know they're bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really it's I that is a thing that I'm I'm risk because I mean it feels like, as as you've mentioned a couple of times, and I think is like this sort of vague we'll say management class fear is that there's like a contagion effect here.
Speaker 2: This is you know, this is why, And.
Speaker 3: I suppose there is because watching some workers take power in winter victory shows the vulnerability of you know, these.
Speaker 2: Leeches that call themselves our bosses.
Speaker 3: However, there is another side of it, which is like this, this labor action, Like for me, this strike is like and I think for many people who are like even less like thoughtful about this sort of thing or have this as their personal politics. Outside of the Writer's Guild, we're all learning way more about labor, about and about our bosses specifically that I'm just like, this feels like honestly more poisonous going forward if I were a fucking studio head then like you know, just like paying people livable wages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of the it's like we hate them, we hate them, and now we know their names.
Speaker 2: I didn't know las name prior to this, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fact that they're going to war against the people who make them rich. Like yeah, it because like to talk about like like nonprofits in unions, right, one of the reasons nonprofits are like like fake woke companies or whatever will be like, oh, we don't want a union because it creates an antagonistic relationship between the workers and the bosses. And that can be true. It actually doesn't have to be true. All you got to do is be really good to your workers and stop exploiting them. The problem is that our entire economic system, capitalism, is based on the idea of exploiting workers. It's literally based on the idea of like making other people produce more value and then skimming off that extra value. But I don't know it, it doesn't have to be right. It could just you could have a union and then the bosses could be like sick, now I know that you all have protected and everything's fine, you know, like whatever, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 3: It's like a union can create an antagonistic relationship, and it's so weird that that rhetoric you can even get away with that because it's like, yeah, yeah, you know what else creates an antagonistic relationship prior to the existence of a union, is you being antagonistic?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the boss is totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like yeah, it's like the there's that classic like style of headline. That's like the violence started at the protest when one person threw a tear gas canister back at the police, And you're like, yeah, clearly the violence started from the other direction. Sorry, when you mean violence, you mean against the systems of power? Oh right, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Or like some passive voice bullshit. But it is like, yeah, some subversion.
Speaker 3: Of that perpetually we're like, yeah, the fuck are you talking about? Like how do we I mean, yeah, we get let them get away with it because they're in charge, and most people don't think about it.
Speaker 2: But now we're all thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and that's I mean, more of us start thinking about it. Yeah, and that's good. So after the strike Hid Blink he gets into boxing and basketball and organized crime in Chinatown, and at one point he gets arrested for murder because he was bragging about killing a guy, but then he's released when they realized he was literally just lying and bragging about killing the guy needed and actually kill a guy. In nineteen twelve, he was arrested for possession of dynamite and I really want to know why he had a stick of dynamite. I just I want to know so bad. But I don't. And then he died in his early thirties nineteen July nineteen thirteen of Friend of the Pod Tuberculosis Jesus. Which is the other thing to think about when you're like anything taking place one hundred fifty years ago. It's like, look, all of our lives are kind of short in the grand scheme of things, right, but your life is extra short. But well, tuberculosis is still weal. Tuberculous is still a major killer worldwide, but in developed nations that have a better success at stopping the spread of it. Anyway, conditions for newsies actually got worse throughout the twentieth century. Unfortunately, unionized newsies held on to decent splits way better than elsewhere.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I was like kind of being like there were like an insurrection or union that existed and then just stopped existing. The ones that held on to unions for longer kept better percentages for decades longer than the other newsies. Yeah, but the rates just kept getting worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that, Yeah, that lesson which is like you know again, I I especially as far as race politics go, you know, don't love all of the organized labor, but it is indisputable that like this is it's like the only way to have a real middle class is through the unions and things like them. I guess, like, I mean, it's just like it's it's the only way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, and his only way for in a lot of places, it's the only way for people to express any kind of agency. I'm like, yea, I you know, it's like it's funny because in some ways I like the sort of more heroic period of labor, but on the other hand, during the you know, kind of late nineteenth early twentieth century chunk of it. But on the other hand, that's when more of the large labor places were like more fucked up and like more resist and shit.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean I think that's the thing. It's like the right thing. And look, it's the same with like, you know, so many pieces of history. It's like, yes, but you know, who's considered human at right time.
Speaker 1: Totally. But well it's a couple of paragraphs from now. It's going to tie into a labor union around this time that was doing good and was inspired by the kids. So besides winning some demands, the eighteen ninety nine strike brought a lot of attention to child labor in the US. The National Child Labor Committee was formed in nineteen oh four to try and draw attention to the plight of working children. But it wasn't until nineteen thirty eight that the Fair Labor Standards Act outlawed most forms of child labor. That said, and this is MESSI the newsies weren't fighting against their right to work, right. They they wanted to have jobs. Well meaning reformers wanted them to not be able to work. What they wanted was to be treated right and to be paid well. To actually stop child labor, we have to pretty much change the entire economic system so that people aren't poor shit and therefore sort of need to go work or send their kids to work. Meanwhile, currently about a half a million children pick about twenty five percent of the food we eat in the US because agriculture was mostly exempted from the nineteen thirty eight law. This exemption was crafted ostensibly. I believe it was crafted so that like because like small farmers were like, look you, Susie's got to milk the cow. Yeah, this was quickly exploited to exploit children in mass once you know, and once again, like eighteen ninety nine, mostly immigrant children, and you know the children of immigrants, and of course Republicans are trying to roll all back what child prediction laws there currently are. So the fight continues, as I guess what I'm trying to say. Puliser, speaking of the like bosses, the antagonistic workforce, Pulisher tried really hard after this to reform his image with Newsi's he either actually cared or he tried to reform his image. I don't know if there's one of them who would have sort of actually it would have been Pulitzer's. He's a little bit more right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wants to be the good, good guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah I got stuff slavery, you know, more than I did. But and so he started offering he did the pizza party version of good boss. Right, he brought his kids, like the Newsies would go to the movies, and he would like rent out the movie hall and let all the Newsies watch movies. And he would like sponsor holiday feasts and stuff at the lodge. I believe, right, And like, you know, I a raise is better than a pizza party.
Speaker 5: But like I don't know what, Yeah, yeah, it's it is, like yeah, I mean obviously like the nice boss, cool boss kind of thing is like not.
Speaker 3: It's it's insufficient in such a thorough way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, look it's better.
Speaker 1: Than Herst Yeah, totally, yeah, it's better than the eld really like Hitler guy. Yeah. And the thing that I, okay, my favorite union from this time period anyone who's listening to this show knows is the Industrial Workers of the World, the union that one of the founders was a black anarchist woman. They worked incredibly hard to fight racism in the labor world, especially on the West Coast where that was the most prevalent. Well, racism in the labor union was everywhere, but specifically there was a lot of racism in the labor movement in on the West coast of the United States and late nineteenth century against the East Asian immigrants. So this strike, the Newsy's Strike, was referred to in nineteen oh five by Daniel de Lyon during the creation of Friend of the Pod labor union the Industrial Workers of the World, And I'm going to read a bit of his quote because I like this quote.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: These little tots who by their very appearance herald in the open, the merciless cruelty of capitalism, even against the defenseless child, under clad, underfed, undershod deprived of the innocent joys of childhood that are so essential to the building up of the future. Man stunted and schooling, prematurely thrown into the temptation of vice, walking, running, yelling monuments to capitalist cannibalism. These waifs walked before Typographical Union number six and asked for support, for the support of men, many of whom were the fathers themselves, and who had they struck with the boys, certainly would have insured them victory. Did they? Of course they wouldn't. They slobbered over the boys their sympathies. They bestowed upon them all the sweet words that butter no parsnips, and the boys went down in defeat. This is like to pull out of it. I actually think that this was a fairly successful strike because of the thing that they won. But they did lose their main demand, and so that's why it's being referred to as a loss in this sense. To finish the quote, because this is my favorite part of it quote, it should be here added that when a year or so later, the identical type of graphical union had strike against the sun. Those bearded men went down upon their knees before the identical boys, whom they had left ill of a lurch, and implored their support. Let the fact be recorded as all evidence of the inherent nobility of the human hearts, and in honor of childhood the ever renewing promise that human feeling and human instinct shall not perish from the earth, that, when appealed to, the boys returned evil with good and helped the printers fight their strike. And I don't know, I think I realized.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, but no, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, yeah, I know, that's that's how I feel about. It's like, yeah, fuck yeah. Like and also, God, people like knew how to fucking write their labor speeches back in the day. It's a little heady, but uh. And obviously I think the most important comparison here to draw about the Newsies and their labor action is that, like the writers of Rohan, who were abandoned by the armies of Gondor at their hour of need and helms deep, how they chose to ride forth and do the assemble armies of Mordor, showing solidarity even with those who had turned their back. The Newsies threw down next year when when the typographers needed help, and uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is though.
Speaker 3: It's this thing where like, you know, I mean, yeah, obviously right now everyone's short for instance, with DGA or whatever. But like I think for me more it's like seeing like the Teamsters contract is up, I believe next year and now it's more clear than ever, like you know, we'll be with them. The UTLA strike the teachers union was a couple got months ago now as we're talking, But yeah, there was a writer's build support there, and I think it's like a thing where like, yeah, everyone is like you know, wishing and aware, wishing they had done more of prior and aware of everything in the future.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so you.
Speaker 1: All are the Rohrem ready to ride to the aid of.
Speaker 2: I think so, I mean, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't want to put too much in the writer's skilled I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that I think that solidarity is both a very natural thing for humans to do, but also something that like needs to be like practiced and developed as a skill as like a you know, cause like okay, like in like self defense training, they talk about like you do what you're trained to do in times of crisis. And so actually sometimes this is a problem. Right, Like in a fight, someone might like if someone's used to fighting like MMA, they might like try to destroy their opponent, right, whereas actually all they need to do is like hit them in then run away or whatever. Right, But no one's treat teaching self defense where you're like, oh, hit and then run away. Okay. So solidarity is like the more we practice it, the more people do it. And it's when because when there's crisis, you do what you have previously practiced and sort of like I've made certain decisions a kind of do Yeah. So I think that it's it's a thing that we can encourage people to be, like be your best self, be someone who doesn't scab, be someone who is in solidarity outside your own struggles. Yeah, and and willing to sacrifice when it's not your fight. I mean again, I've concain it a lot. But like you know, we are able to do things.
Speaker 3: With this writer's gold strike because teamsters are personally sacrificing. They are taking, they're using paychecks, they are refusing to cross picket lines with real consequence to themselves for a fight that is not strictly speaking, theirs, so like right, you know, beyond appreciative and like seeing that thing. And I think it is also just teamsters because they have a stronger union culture, are just more aware.
Speaker 2: This is the ship you got to do. Yeah, and they're they're practiced at it, as you said.
Speaker 1: And that's how we that's how we win. It's like we are overall safer to live in a society where we take risks for one another. You know, even though if I choose to interfere in something that's happening around me, that makes me less safe, right because I could just walk away. But by living in a society where we do interfere and stop acts of bigotry or exploitation or whatever, I'm then safer because I live in that society. I get really anyway, Okay, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we talked about this last time, which is like my entry into doing sort of any mutual aid work was you know, even in a completely self interested like manner like it is because it is better for me personally Andrew only even to do.
Speaker 1: This stuff totally totally. I'm gonna I'm gonna speed run through some newsies, some more newsy strikes that came after, because this was not the end. Sure, it's near the end of the episode, but it's not near the end of the Newsy struggle. The Newsy Struggle is probably mostly over because newspapers have been destroyed. But in nineteen oh one, the Boston newsies formed the Boston Newsboys Protective Union, and they wanted the bare minimum. They were like mad that the newspapers were giving discounts early buyers, that thing that encourages kids to skip school, and they were like the union went as a paper. The union went to the paper and was like, can we have ten percent buybacks? And they were like no, your children fuck off and die. So then they went on strike and just like destroyed the paper circulation and the publisher gave him full fucking refunds, not just the ten percent they had asked for. And then later and they formally after this, they formally affiliated with the AFL the American Federation of Labor, which is now currently the AFL CIO. But in nineteen oh eight, the same union went on strike with a paper called The American, and the larger typographical union was like against them, right, and they were like no, And they ended up kind of even though there's like grown ass men going around beating up children strikers or whatever. Eventually they got the entire AFL to condemn the strike. It petered out due to lack of solidarity from adults. So not looking good. AFL is going to get a win a little later in this list, but not a win here. Who did have their backs the Hebrew Bakers Union Local forty five, they had their backs and they refused to take money from the American and yeah, and then the other thing, and part of this was that the way that they used it in within the AFL is that they're like, oh, these are they're merchants. These these children, they're not employees, they're merchants, so they don't deserve labor protections. Like fuck that we've talked about this whole time. It's like whatever, it's the same shit. That's also go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh d yeah, the tidy soapbox there is that, Like, God, remember a time when that rhetoric at least would work, Like who doesn't deserve union protection? Because my big gripe really with the Southern California Federation of Labor is the presence of the LA Police Protective League.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: No one is less deserving of in solidarity than the goddamn cops.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I yep. In Chicago, the Newsboys formed the Chicago Newsboys Protective Association and they fought against a bosses union. Speaking of that, this comes up time and time again when I researched the show that like whenever there's like a labor union doing some stuff, all the bosses get together and form a conservative and anti union union, right, and so the Daily Publishers Newspaper Daily Newspaper Publishers Association had like set all of these standards and collaborated against their against their children, the children who did their shit.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, yeah, that should be telling, by the way, for anyone who's like anti union, I guess very very improbable that anyone is listening this long to this and remains anti union. But as far as rhetoric goes, like you know, with your for instance, like my father is like kind of an idiot anti union person, and it is like sort of telling that like the second rubber hits any kind of road, the bosses immediately unionized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they know it's fucking.
Speaker 3: Powerful, Yeah, and they want nothing more than to break up the opposing union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they know it's.
Speaker 1: Powerful, totally, Like we have to crew up and when powerful people do it, it makes them exponentially. It's an association, yeah, yeah, totally yeah, but uh, Chamber of Commerce, fuck all that. And so in Chicago they in nineteen oh nine they affiliate with the AFL. They joined the Pressman's strike in nineteen twelve, destroying papers in solidarity with lockdown union workers. Newsy's being the writers of Rohem again. In nineteen oh six in Goldfield, Nevada, a huge judge. A judge issued an injunction against the Newsboys union, and I believe the IWW, and I don't entirely know why. They must have been doing something cool together during the nineteen ten Spokane free speech fight, which I encourage everyone to go back and listen to our episode about that we did with Robert Evans. Sometime last fall, the Newsboys were hanging out handing out the IWW papers and getting arrested for it. In nineteen fourteen in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Newsboys destroyed newspapers and response to the rise of the price of the paper, and the IWW organized street meetings on their behalf from my point of view, basically, everything gets cooler once the IWW existed, once there was like a union being like, what if we all have each other's backs and aren't racists? New York City had notable Newsy strikes in only a couple of years eighteen eighty six, eighteen eighty nine, eighteen ninety eighteen ninety three, eighteen ninety eight, eighteen ninety nine, nineteen oh eight, nineteen eighteen, nineteen twenty two, nineteen forty one, and nineteen forty eight.
Speaker 2: Perpetual, perpetual.
Speaker 1: And I want to close with I had never heard of this strike, and I'm annoyed at myself. I'd never heard of it. Have you ever heard of the nineteen nineteen Seattle General Strike. No, it's one of the coolest strikes that's ever happened in the US. I'm not going to do it at great length, but the newsboys were in on it. That's the tie in here, and so was the AFL in Seattle. Actually, the AFL and Seattle was actually being cool, and they were actually deviating from the party line of the larger AFL at the time. They worked together with the IWW, which had a lot of in the Pacific Northwest had a significant East Asian membership as well as independent Japanese worker associations, and they called for a general strike because the socialist former head of the Seattle AFL had been arrested and tortured in jail for oposing the draft in World War One. So the Seattle longshoremen refused to load arms and manutions destined to help the counter revolution in Russia. Union membership quadruple, and they were like, you know what, let's show people that the workers cannot just shut down a city by withholding labor, but like run it on their own terms. And so most of the cities shut down completely, but the workers continued essential services. Firefighters stayed at work, laundry workers kept one shop open to handle hospital laundry. Civil order was controlled by the Labor War Veterans Guard. Who their purpose was is the quote The purpose of this organization is to preserve law and order without the use of force. No volunteer will have any police power or be allowed to carry weapons of any sort, but to use persuasion. Only twelve fit kitchens fed everyone milk. Wagon drivers supplied milk to babies, and it worked for a while. The mayor said, quote the mare didn't like it. Quote streetcar gong ceased their clamor newsboys cast their unsold papers into the street. From the doors of mill and factory, store and workshops streamed sixty five thousand workmen, school children, with fear in their hearts, hurried homeward. The life stream of a great city stopped. Major General Morrison completely contradicted the children running away in fear thing. They clearly didn't write their notes together because Major General Morrison said in forty years of military service, he'd never seen a city so quiet and orderly. And the strike lasted six days, and it was brought down by the way that these things are often brought down by the police and vigilantes attacking everyone and arresting all the reds and storming labor halls and such. But that's a story for another day. Today's story is the story of you, Andrew, and how people can support your strike and or your work.
Speaker 2: Oh God, supporting the strike.
Speaker 3: I think there's been very clear messaging from the WGA. I know there is oh I don't have it handy, but there was a strike fund. You can it's all and search for a w GA strike fund but and there's an Entertainment Strike Fund, not merely for writers who need assistants in this time, but especially for.
Speaker 2: Folks in other unions.
Speaker 3: People for whom, you know, if production is shut down, that is that is their income as well, and they are not writers, They're not necessarily going to directly benefit from any of our actions. So yeah, please look up and donate to that. And you know, I'm just at yos is racist. We do a premium podcast at suboptimalpods dot com. You know, people have been supporting us and that's been really wonderful as well, and really helpful in this time for.
Speaker 2: Me and my co host Tony. I don't know what else I say.
Speaker 1: That's it, that seems good. And yos is racist. I've said this last time Andrew came on. But I was like a little bit like, oh my god, I guess have Andrew on my podcast, because you know, is this racist? When it was on Tumblr was like all of our shit, we all just fucking loved it and read it every day and like it really I think pushed the conversation in like useful ways and was just so just like funny and not like not mean spirited or something but still like not pulling punches. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thank you. That's very nice of you to say. Uh. I feel like it was mean spirited but at the right people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's kind of what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely petty and mean spirited, because that is who I am. But yeah, I just feel like at least that it was pointed in the right direction, which it rarely is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that that's a better way to put it.
Speaker 2: Don't worry I'm a bad person.
Speaker 1: If you want to know more about what I do. At the moment, the main thing I'm pushing people towards is I'm kickstarting a tabletop role playing game called a Number City, and it has passed all of its stretch golds, so we had to make up new ones, which means that if you back it at any level, not only do you get the main book, but you get two other books, one of which will be a novella that I'm writing said in the world. You'll get digital versions of it. We don't have enough money to suddenly mail everyone three extra books, but unless I know, I know well. And then also so we made new stretch goals and at fifty thousand dollars, everyone's going to get a map of the city, and at one hundred thousand dollars, we're going to like get this one sort of a joke one, but we'll do it if we get there. We probably won't, but we're all going to get in a hot tub cost playing as characters from the game and have a pizza party. I was writing this script about the pizza party thing while I was also talking with the rest of the collective about what stretch golds to come up with. And that's why there's a pizza party.
Speaker 2: Cool gotta do it.
Speaker 1: But there's also a game and it's fun. Sophie, what do you got?
Speaker 4: Listen to Coulson Media's newest show produced by me called Sad Oligarch, hosted by the one and only Jacanrahan. It is an investigative series that dives into all the mysterious deaths of oligarchs and Kremlin involvement and spoiler putin, it's great on all the apps.
Speaker 1: Yay see y'all next week. The Cool People Who.
Speaker 4: Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts and cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com. Or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.