Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty Armstrong and Jettie and no Hee Armstrong and Yetty. I want to bring the schools.
Speaker 2: I want to bring the schools back to the States. And and I've said it a hundred times, we're ranked at the bottom of the list, and yet we spend more. If you tell me about Indiana and some of these great states that run really well Iowa. You tell me about those states, and if they run their own education, they're going to do a lot better than somebody sitting in Washington, DC that couldn't care less about the pupils out in the Midwest.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, places like New York and LA. They should set the standards for the kind of education your kid gets in stupid Iowa and stupid Indiana, and then the federal government can force it on those people.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is some excellent sarcasm there.
Speaker 1: I just appreciate Trump's use of the term pupils, which you don't hear that much anyway. Yeah, well, he's an old man, he is that. So President Trump is sitting on is still considering apparently an executive order that some people thought might come out this week aimed at abolishing the Education Department. By the way, some of them just throwing it in there at Trump's age, he's damn near eighty. Yeah, the last three weeks. Who you me, anyone has worked three weeks that much that hard at any age, let alone eighty years old, I'd be in some sort of rest facility, some sort of resk. God, anyway, back to you, it's amazing anyway. A draft of the order directs Education Secretary Linda McMahon to quote, take all necessary steps to facilitate the closure of the Education Department based on the maximum extent appropriate and permitted by law. And then and that just refers to the fact that if Congress starts a department and tasks it with specific things, really the best you can do is pare it down to that which is obviously undeniably what Congress said specifically. But agencies tend to metastasize and take on a bigger and bigger list of programs, a lodger remit. As they'd say in the intellectual community, why can't you talk like regular people. I'm trying to, you know, to change the world in the way they were never designed to do. But anyway, some of the verbiage from the Draft report, the experiment of controlling American education through federal programs and dollars and the unaccountable bureaucrats those programs and dollars support has failed our children, our teachers, and our families. The draft viewed was labeled as predecisional.
Speaker 4: I like that. I just like that term.
Speaker 1: I live my life that way. Watch lots of issues. I like that color for the drapes. But this is a predecisional, you know, discussion.
Speaker 3: I'm in my predecisional period on a number of things.
Speaker 4: I was thinking to you the other day.
Speaker 1: I want you to react to this from from your heart, from your ticker, from your gut. Two hours spent looking at granite and other counter surfaces for a kitchen remodel. So did a new slip off your neck or how did you end up in that situation? I enjoyed it. This is how you tell us apart. I thought it was fun. I perfectly embrace that. Other people are okay with that.
Speaker 3: I yes, dude, I don't understand that on any level whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I can almost convert you I'll convert you on one left. The variety of colors and patterns that are produced by nature, by God's creation, are astonishing and beautiful. I've awakened the poet in your soul. Anyway, So I thought this was great. Kim Strassel, who's a genius, quoting a lot of really brilliant women on today's show, which which I think is great. She's talking about the executive Order. She was writing about it recently and is in favor of it, and I love her description, you know, never mind her reasoning, which is great. But never has a department been more deceptively titled. To listen to this week's whaling, the Federal Education Department is the beating heart of our nation's schools, and its demise a straight line to an illiterate nation. Oh my god, that's funny. Yeah, yeah, I gotta voice her articles because she doesn't have an aluw enough voice to say a.
Speaker 4: Straight line to an illiterate nation.
Speaker 1: You know, you gotta be scary, and as we practically are now with de part of Education in charge. Well wait a minute, yeah, the Education Department is more of the straight line to an illiterate nation than its absence would be the re our. Federal Education bureaucracy takes no part in the daily, hard fought grind of teaching. Little salute to the great teachers, That sentence goes out to y'all because you're heroes.
Speaker 3: I am stunned by the work a lot of my kids teachers have done and do just I mean stunned.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of teachers' unions are evil. Really hear themselves. I love you, yeah, yeah. Anyway, So the Federal Education bureaucracy, it takes no part in the daily, hard fought grind of teaching. It does not step in classrooms, interview teachers, or debate curriculum. It doesn't meet with parents, coach sports, or set bus schedules. The department's only job is to act as the keeper of the education treats. Every year, these federal masters get some eighty billion dollars to dispense on good behavior.
Speaker 4: They hive off a dollop for their own salaries.
Speaker 1: Well. The rest they dispense as if rewarding a pet. Good state puppies, those that roll, fetch and fill out paperwork and triplicate get grants from IDA funds.
Speaker 4: Bad puppies lose their school lunch money.
Speaker 1: Thus today's inane system in which kids from Taos to Tallahassee are held hostage to a counterproductive mays of federal rules that dictate dollars yet waste resources and stemy local innovation. School stage Bingo nights when staff coach parents to minimize their salaries on forms so that the school qualifies for Title I Low Income funding. Wow. Parents and administrators fight to get kids labeled special needs to score an individual education plan and extract federal resources. And by the way, folks, before you fire off an angry email that in no way implies that any kid with special needs is trying to do that, not at all. It's like, you know, riddle in for ADHD. There are some cases that are absolutely necessary. They're a hell of a lot that aren't. Having said that, in recent years, the threat of losing federal funds also sent district scurrying to comply with Joe Biden's trends gender directives. And then she gives a bunch of specific examples of the specific grants and how they they play the tune in the schools have to dance to it. Whatever you know, whatever the cause, celeb is restorative justice and transgender you know, boys playing girls' sports and the rest of it.
Speaker 3: You know, the thing Trump said there at the beginning should be like the only part of the discussion, and then go from there. We spend more than anybody else, we get lower results. Even if you don't want to compare to other countries, don't compare it to ourselves. We spend more than we ever have and we get less out of it. What changed from you know, the year nineteen ninety or the new year nineteen seventy, that we have to spend so much money per pupil and then get a worse result. I mean that seems like such an obvious How would you get around it?
Speaker 1: Sign that things are off the rails? Yeah, I think it's Washington thrives on this. But we need to return to a plane spoken sentiment like this has been a failure. What do you want to try now? As opposed to the notion that, well, the Department of Education exists and it does the things it does and we probably shouldn't mess with it.
Speaker 4: No, it's failed.
Speaker 3: What are you try now? Or somebody just hit you with teachers or heroes and right, you're supposed to just recoil an emotional horror from.
Speaker 1: You know anything else. And indeed Ms Strassel, much like mister Armstrong and mister Trump, points out the formula afore described sent one trillion dollars to schools since nineteen seventy nine, producing a perfect inverse correlation of plummeting education scores. And then she makes a point that I love, go ahead, I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is the end game of the discussion. We're spending more and getting less need. Something's wrong. We got to change, like massively change. But this is this is how you get people to rally.
Speaker 1: Jack.
Speaker 4: We've established it needs to change.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to get them excited about it by pissing them off. She writes, Yet what And she went through gosh six or eight different ways the money flows to schools for dancing to the tune being a good puppy. Yet note what these federal funds have in common. The money, ostensibly for the children, all goes to the adults to hire more counselors and special ed teachers for those IEPs sometimes great necessary, but more administrators to run various programs, including perverse ones, legions of staff to input data, and guess what. Most of those adults belong to a union local of the National Education Association or the American Federation of Teachers, because the keeper of treats was, is and always will be Jimmy Carter's thank you for Teachers Union endorsements. Randy Weingarten controls the clicker, and then she's a little annoyed that Trump has been a little passive on education so far, but everything else has been so feverish it's hard to it's easy to forget that. No, no, no, this is month number two. We'll get to it. It'll be good. I hope you're Randy Winingarten.
Speaker 3: Say hello to Hitler and Ojy when you get to Hell, because that's where you're headed.
Speaker 4: Amen to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she does say he didn't mention school choice in his address as addressed to Congress this week, which would have been good. But conservatives are already on the offence and winning school choices exploding across the States. Those laboratories and democracy innovating on scholarships, vouchers, savings, accounts, charters. New generation and conservative leaders are embracing next steps accountability and standards, merit, pay for teachers, reviving vocational education and parents are loving it in large measure. One one note, before we eliminate the Department of Education, and although, honestly to answer myself before I even make any argument, have the Department of Justice to it, or Streets and Sanitation or park rangers or something.
Speaker 4: But we don't need a whold department for this.
Speaker 1: But the still breathing Department of Education launched a public portal last week for parents, students, teachers, and communities to submit reports of sex and race based discrimination in public K through twelve schools. The portal is called the nd DEI Portal and allows the submission of an email address, the name of students, school or school district, and a text box for detailing. Hey, even though this DEI racial discrimination stuff is illegal, now my school is still doing it and here's how they're doing it.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's good because our friend Tim Sandifer, who works for the Goldwater Institute. He tweeted out today win for Goldwater. A Pennsylvania school district tried to hide its DEI from a mom It claimed the materials were copyrighted so they weren't subject to state's open records law, and Goldwater.
Speaker 1: Change that in one Yeah, yeah, I could write a book right now about ways colleges, especially and lower tiers of education are getting around all the anti DEI stuff. I'll give them points for creativity, but they are just changing names of programs and offices, changing titles, and pretending to change their admissions while doing precisely the same stuff. And one more note and then I'll shut up. I read a really interesting piece. I can't remember who wrote it, might have been the Free Press. Was talking about how one of the big problems is the accreditation organizations that the government has tasked with. And this is the sort of thing that ought to respond to the private market, but it doesn't because universities are so woke. But they're tasked with saying the University of Pennsylvania, for instance, has good professors and they're teaching good stuff, and.
Speaker 4: We accredit them as a university.
Speaker 1: Those organizations are crazy ass woke, the creditors themselves, and so they're going to the universities and saying, if I don't see you march in the DEI tune, we're not going to credit credit you as a university.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not shocking at all.
Speaker 3: Troubling, So coming up trying to put a lipstick on a pig re Ukraine and Russia.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try to do that.
Speaker 3: And also Ai comes to the McDonald's drive through, among other things.
Speaker 1: On the way, Trump talked about all the good happening, the damn sis seeds.
Speaker 5: That was Liz Warren. There's so much steam coming from her ears. I thought you was sending smoke signals me very mad at Orange Man. Meanwhile, Nancy nod through her mouth like it was a tough chunk of rice pudding. George Washington's teeth bit better, and he whittled them out of mahogany.
Speaker 4: I'd meant to comment on that.
Speaker 1: After the Tuesday night speech, Nancy Pelosi was making never ending, very old person mouth motions. I saw that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we're all going to be that age someday.
Speaker 1: Well right, yeah, I'm not going to mock her for it, but the idea that she was the leader of a party until like last week is just absurd. I just ran into my son in the hallway. He said, what are you doing at home? I'm at home, And the reason I'm home, as I told him, is because I'm on the tail end of the flu and my stomach is not good. This whole flu thing. I'm flying today, and I'm going to get an aisle seat. If you know what I'm saying. I need to to be able do move quickly, move quickly. There are remedies, of course, you know you're hip to them. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I hate to take some sort of stop me all up. What do you hate more?
Speaker 1: That's a good question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Speaking of medical matters, I just got a call during the commercial break from my dermatologist.
Speaker 4: They got a slice on me again. And I'm gonna walk in there.
Speaker 1: I've threatened before to bring my own knife and say, yeah, come at me, let's go.
Speaker 4: You like it, I'm gonna get some, but I've changed my strategy.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna walk in there and say, hey, let's save all of us a little time in trouble. Just skin me, just take all of it, all right, or at least my back.
Speaker 4: We'll call it.
Speaker 1: Good covering, some sort of cellophane or something. Oh man, those summer days on the Indiana dunes, all covered with oil. That's like the only thing going in the right direction.
Speaker 3: You know how, I always say, name one thing that's getting better, because everything seems like it's getting worse. One thing that's getting better is as we stay out of the sun and our kids, like my kids, I think one of us had one sunburn and the other one's none, and their lives and.
Speaker 1: I used to get burnt practically every day. Yeah yeah, with the the cost being paid now with slicings. Anyway, Ah, what was I going to say, there's a sunburned sunscreen doing better? They skin you skinning Joe? Yeah, let's uh anyway, ah, jab, we're not coming off at all like old Al Green shaking his cave. You can get the fluid any age? All right? Oh no, I'm yeah, just yeah, man, here's something exciting. McDonald's is going to use AI computer vision and facial recognition in store mounted cameras at the drive through to determine whether the orders are accurate before they're handed to customers. Oh so, the same technology that is facial recognition. They're going to look at your bag, I guess and say it looks like two cheeseburgers and mcflurry go ahead, give it to him.
Speaker 4: It's necessary.
Speaker 1: You know what drives all this, by the way, raising the minimum waged.
Speaker 3: Where they can't afford him employees, so they got little willing to spend whatever they got to spend to get rid to eliminate employees ding true fact. Yea, what is the Trump plan in Russia?
Speaker 1: Ukraine?
Speaker 3: We might actually know now we might not armstrong and getty.
Speaker 6: President's Zelensky sent a letter to the President. I think the President thought that it was a really good, positive first step. We're now in discussions to uh coordinate a meeting with the Ukrainians and Rhyod or even potentially Jetta, and I think the idea is to get down a framework for a peace agreement and an initial ceasefire ceasefire as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Zelensky is playing ball a little more than he did a week ago. Today, Uh with what Trump wants. Whether it's just rhetorically or in reality, I don't know which Trump needs. But uh, and here's Trump yesterday talking about the whole thing.
Speaker 2: What's going to happen is Ukraine wants to make a deal because I don't think they have a choice. I also think that Russia wants to make a deal because in a certain different way, a different way that only I know, only.
Speaker 1: I know, they have no choice either.
Speaker 3: So what was that the entire foreign policy establishment wants to know in a certain way that only I know, only I know Russia needs to make a deal.
Speaker 1: Also, what is that oh boy? Whether that's oh boy threat that hasn't been said out loud, or we are more aware of their near collapse of either the economy or the military or something. When Trump last time around appeared to be kissing up to Putin, he secretly implanted a painless chip under Putin's skin that is, in fact, to tiny nuclear device he can blow his head off with the flip of a switch. I don't.
Speaker 4: I am so intrigued by that.
Speaker 3: I've got a button and it's right next to my diet coke button here at the desk, So I gotta make sure.
Speaker 1: I don't get him mixed up. But if I press this button, it'll blow your head clean off your shoulders. So let's get down to business. Yeah, wow, that's is that Trumpian bull duty or hard to say? But so I want to preface with this just for my own conscience that I am not trying to spend this like I.
Speaker 3: Think Trump has handled this beautifully and I'm all in favor of everything that's happening. He said some to me just horrific things about the war in Ukraine and equivocating between Russian and that, like they're equal, and I don't get that at all. But that being said, he might through all of that haze of the way Trump does things, there might be a strategy. According to even David Ignatius in the Washington Post today. And I came to this through Mark Halprin's newsletter where he said, the foreign policy world of.
Speaker 1: Washington, d c.
Speaker 3: And they are a thing, the foreign policy what is the right term, something.
Speaker 1: Contingent.
Speaker 3: They're more or less permanent, I mean, like the State Department and a whole bunch of other thinkers and everything like that. They stay there as presidents come and go, and they are starting to wake up to according to Mark Halprin, to a possible strategy that Trump's got here, and that David Ignacius writes a little bit about in the Washington Post today. First of all, David Ignacius writing, and he does not like Donald Trump, but he writes, give Trump this much. He's right that the time has come to end the horrific Ukraine War. And he's right too that the United States needs to re establish a relationship with the Kremlin to play an effective mediating role. Okay, so you got to do whatever you gotta do to get Putin to talk to you. And one you have to talk to him too. You have to come up with a way to get him.
Speaker 1: To talk to you, right, yeah, and send the message, Hey, we're not coming in to lop your head off in spite of my earlier idea or coming into broker this.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna be cool. Can you be cool?
Speaker 3: Here's the paradox at the core of the negotiations, writes David Ignatius. Though Ukrainian President Vladimir de Zelenski has bristled at Trump's pressure, he badly needs a ceasefire. His forces are tired and depleted and could begin to buckle in the next six months. As for Russian President Vladimir Putin, he has welcomed Trump's embrace, but he doesn't want to cease fire unless it gives him the victory. He hasn't won on the battlefield, because while Russia has been somewhat successful, they're not anywhere near what Putin was open for.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I read a great think piece that said Putin has lost this war by any of his definitions. It's been a miserable failure in spite of the territory game.
Speaker 3: In fact, to you, the diplomatic agenda was summed up well by Keith Kellogg yesterday. He's the retired Army lieutenant general who's serving as Trump's Ukraine envoy. What you're seeing now are urgent efforts to bring both sides to the table to get a peace settlement. Bringing both sides to the table means applying pressure points and incentives, sticks and carrots, he said.
Speaker 1: Yesterday Putin and I don't know if he's just waking up to this or what.
Speaker 3: Puttn has been feasting on these carrots for months. But the Kremlin suddenly began sounding truculent this week and offered by Britain and France to provide troops for a deterrent force after a ceasefire brought a nasty response Thursday from last we will categorically not tolerate such actions. European troops in Ukraine would amount to official and undisguised participation of NATO countries in a war against the Russian Federation.
Speaker 1: So that's what we were talking about the other day.
Speaker 3: Is Trump just trying to like slip this by the world and putin by being so belligerent and so over the top hard on Ukraine, like behind the scenes, in front of the scenes, cutting intelligence, cutting services, callings, let's get a dictator, all this different sort of stuff, and then the reality was gonna be Russia wakes up and lait a second, there are thirty thousand NATO troops here and a brand new United States business full of business people and trucks and everything like that.
Speaker 4: Ah the hell did that happen?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 3: Is that what Trump's secret strategy is? I mean, that's what David Ignations is saying. And I don't know. And it's a face saving thing too, of as you should know if you don't know, face is so much a diplomacy is letting people walk away with their pride and or at least you know, if you're a dictator, well it's a dictator. Whether you're a dictator or you're elected, you have to have your people feeling like you didn't get played, and you need to be able to present it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they call it legitimacy and political science. Sometimes it comes through the ballot box. Sometimes it comes through the point of a bayonet. Sometimes with a dictator, it's a combination of yeah, I don't want to speak out because they don't want to go to jail.
Speaker 4: Plus life's pretty good.
Speaker 1: But there are many many cases in history where if life is pretty crappy, and Russia has some pretty serious economic problems and social problems right now, I mean really really serious. I wonder if the you know, Trump has a hard time sitting unclassified information. There are a couple of times through his tenure where, for instance, the Israelis got crazy, pissed off or whatever, but he's obviously sitting on something big.
Speaker 3: If you don't see get information, you put it in the back to mar a Lago, you pull the shower curtains so nobody can see it.
Speaker 1: Everything's fun.
Speaker 4: Well right, yeah, I'm fine with it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so anyway, I wonder whether the classified stuff he can barely keep to himself has to do with ugh OLLI garks who are really really pissed off at Putin, because remember they accumulated a large share of their wealth by dealing with the West, doing business with Europe, for instance, and Putin and his little warfs screwed all of that up.
Speaker 4: I just I don't know what it could be, but it's intriguing.
Speaker 3: Well again, and I'm not trying to work too hard to give Trump credit for this master plan. But for instance, this week, Left Leaning TV was playing some of Russian TV to say, see how this is playing back in Russia where he got They're showing clips of Trump yelling at Zelensky, at Jadvans yelling at Zelensky. They're playing that on Russian TV. Well maybe that's so Putin can say, see, we won, and when the settlement is done, I won. I got twenty percent of the land. Zelensky's the punk. Even according to the President of the United States. While at the end of the day there are now thirty thousand NATO troops there, we've established a business which is practically the same as having troops there, and we're not gonna let American material and business people be attacked by Russia.
Speaker 1: So I mean, that's the that's the way.
Speaker 3: Even uh Starmer British Prime Minister said that the other day.
Speaker 1: He said it out loud.
Speaker 3: He said, if the United States has a major business interest in the Ukraine, that's our.
Speaker 4: Backstop right right.
Speaker 1: You know, Originally I thought you and David Ignatius were hinting that Trump was trying to swell, as you said, slip one past Putin, and I think that's that's fantasy.
Speaker 4: He's just too calculating.
Speaker 1: But the whole preserving his claim to legitimacy and victory thing. Now that that that's got my attention. That is signific again, even in a dictatorship. More on that and several other fascinating topics in a moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, yeah, the one most confusing part to me about Trump's strategy after this.
Speaker 1: All right, a word from our friends at prize Picks, the best way to get action on sports in more than thirty states. Price Picks the best place to make your opinions turn into money. Join over ten million users and sign up today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take your you're sitting at the bar telling your buddies who's gonna win the NBA Finals or who's the best player in the league, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Take your sports and penons tournament into cash with Prize Picks. And you can do that right now. Just download the Prize Picks app.
Speaker 3: You know, you get the fifty dollars just by playing five and that happens no matter what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's easy. All you have to do is pick at least two player stat projections and just say more or less which players are going to go off which aren't.
Speaker 4: To make your picks in less than sixty seconds, and again.
Speaker 1: Turn your sports opinions into real money all season long on Prize Picks. Download the app today, the Prize Picks app and use the coade Armstrong to get fifty bucks instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. It's an automatic bonus for playing five bucks, you get fifty to play around with Prize Picks app. Use that code Armstrong Prize Picks run your game.
Speaker 3: The only thing I don't understand about this is if this is a strategy, is why wouldn't you let Zelensky in on it behind the scenes. Hey, I'm gonna have to yell at you and make it look like we're really sticking it to you.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, what's you know and explain to Zelensky.
Speaker 3: And maybe Zelensky wouldn't agree with this because polling shows Ukrainians still want to fight and he can't blame them at all. But if the President said to him, look, you're not getting that land back, and Zelensky's even said we might not get all the land back. But if Trump said to him, look, you're not getting to let the land back. But at the end of the day, here's what's going to happen. We're going to have a vested business interest, which is same as a military interest, and they are going to be thirty thousand NATO troops there.
Speaker 1: So that is your protection, all right. Why wouldn't you say that behind the scenes of the Zolensky instead of having him It certainly would seem like completely confused by the whole thing. I don't know what standards there are for Ukrainian TV, but Zelensky is not only a performer, an actor, a comedian, but like the most popular one could be, he's in on it. He's playing his role as the the butt hurt. I thought we were allies guy to a t jack. He sucked you in. Now that's nine dimensional chess with a time machine. That's just one final perspective about Putin and and Kremlinology has always been in exact science at best. But this bloke, Rod Martin is that that's not his name, is it.
Speaker 4: I'd like to give credit words too, But.
Speaker 1: He's talking about how Putin's control of Russia pales in comparison to the Soviet Union's control, because you know, under Stalin especially, the Communist Party was the organ by which the control took place, and they were in every village, practically every cottage. In every village there were a pair of Communist Party eyes keeping an eye on things. And they got paid back through you know, patronage and money and power and the rest of it. But it's really now just the oligarchs, and the control of the Russian countryside is much less direct. And so this guy thinks, well, he asked questions, is Putin in control? And to what extent are the oligarchs of one mind? And what happens when the war ends? The oligarchs don't want the regime to fall, but whether they want Putin at the top is another matter. So he just thinks it's much less stable in Russia than we might think in the West. Who knows, you gotta think that the gazillionaires there in Russia have been saying to each other, if not to Putin's face, what are we getting out of this? Well, they were as rich as any human beings have ever been prior to the invasion of Ukraine. What do I need this for so you can feel like Peter the Great? What's it for me? Do you want to take a break? George Friedman wrote the piece, Thank you very much, Mike, we got to take a break. I was just gonna say putin coming out of COVID with that megal maniacle I want to be the next Czar and grow the giant Russian empire across the world. If his concern really was NATO getting too close and playing foots you with.
Speaker 4: Ukraine, why wouldn't he just say that?
Speaker 1: Why is he putting out long fantasy screens about being the new czar people who believe it was the West's fault? Coincidence? Right? Yeah, good point. Okay, more on the way, stay here, Friday, y'all. In my oldest kid's birthday, which means I've been a parent for fifteen years as of today. Am no wonder I know soul?
Speaker 4: Your oldness?
Speaker 1: Is that the explanation the exhaustion of being a parent?
Speaker 4: Oh? Oh yeah, that too. Yeah, and the flu doesn't help.
Speaker 1: Now, we could bring you some exciting results from America's track and Field Championships, where dudes have beat down girls in girls' sportsmen not in the mood for that. There are some notable ones, including a race where the two top female contenders said, we're not participating in this farce. I'm just shocked.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked that doesn't happen more often. I understand why you've been training your whole life, but I'm amazed there aren't more parents that just lose their minds.
Speaker 1: I would lose my mind. They'd have to get the cops. Yeah. Yeah, you heard when that boy triple jumper whooped up on the girls and beat them by eight feet eight feet in a California match. All the folks in the stands are like, oh my god, can you believe this? They were disgusted and talk to each other, but they made no formal protest, whether out of conformity, not wanting to embarrass their children, or not wanting to target the confused child involved.
Speaker 4: I get that it's not necessarily cowardice.
Speaker 3: I don't think I could stop myself. I really don't think I could. I think I would run in front of the stands and say, who's with me? This is ridiculous? Does anybody disagree?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, but we're talking about what I said. We're not going to be talking about which we do all the time because it's a great topic. But you know, one of the themes has been picking and choosing what the modern world presents to you, because taking the whole package, I don't think is a very good idea.
Speaker 4: And the theme might be better stated as.
Speaker 1: The people trying to sell you the modern world do not have your best interests at heart. There's another example of it, and this is not old man shaking fisted clouds, because it's not just the amount of changes. The pace of change that I think is so dizzying to people right now and they don't have time to slowly take it in and decide whether, all right, do we want a television set in our house? How much can the kids watch? What shows can the kids watch? It's just it all comes on like a tsunami. Anyway, This headline caught my eye because I've kind of been on this kick lately. No granola eye. But ultra processed foods make up over half of American diets, even at home. Oh according to a recent study, it's fifty four percent of the diet at home and almost sixty one percent away from home, challenging the assumption that home cooking is automatically healthier because a lot of home cooking as you take some convenience food out of the freezer and heat it up and eat it, but it's ultra processed, lots of chemicals, you know, lots of weird industrial inputs, as opposed to minimally processed foods like fruits, vegetables and unaltered meats. That's declined significantly, drop from just thirty percent of at home calories and twenty four percent of away from home calories by twenty eighteen. That's weird and weirdly worded anyway, And these trends were consistent across almost all demographic groups, suggesting widespread structural factors rather than individual choices or driving the shift toward more processed diets. I'm not sure i'd phrase that the same way either. I would just say, much like you know, the wonders of the Internet and social media and all sorts of things, appeared to be all good and it took us while to recognize the bad. Having incredibly delicious, ridiculously convenient food at our fingertips all the time seemed to be a dream come true. He left out cheap, Yeah, no kidding, but with everybody obese and young people developing cancer at rates that they never have before, and all sorts of stuff. I think it's yet another example of yeah, the people who are profiting from this stuff or I absolutely love it. Is this something you would choose if you sat down and thought about it. I'm working with RFK JR.
Speaker 3: If you missed a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty