Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Oja simps trend not alive whoops whoops. Let's uh, he's not alive anymore?
Speaker 2: Or a cancer if I did it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, cancer, if I did it? Another good one, good one. My name is Jack, and that over there is Brian the editor.
Speaker 2: He bye, everybody, it's me. I'm back.
Speaker 1: If you if you notice like a little shift, a little, some little energetic difference in the show, Brian has been moving. He is back. It's wonderful to have you back. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: Great, It's great to feedback, right moving in the invigoring nightmare. What it's you know, it's it could be worse. But yeah, I'm in a new city and I'm very much and you knowing being back in a city because I was living rurally and it got a real boring.
Speaker 1: So you're living in one of those spider holes that they like, the one they dug Saddam out of.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was living in Saddam spider hole actually.
Speaker 1: And that you know, you get what you paid for there, obviously, you know, the name recognition does help. But no, speaking of dearly departed nineties icons, we got Saddam, we got oj now has fled this mortal coil. You don't flee it, you shrug it off, sloth it off. I don't know, slough shed sloff off this mortal coil. O. J. Simpson died on Wednesday, and we just found out today this morning, and almost immediately Norm MacDonald went viral, just an eleven minute compilation of old weekend updates. It really took me back to a time when it was like brave to be like this guy fucking murdered some people, right, and it's like yes, and the audience was like hey, like people just didn't didn't really know how to deal with that. What were the people what were the holdout like I guess I don't remember that time that well, what were the people who were like booing those jokes booing exactly? Were they like that give them a give them a break.
Speaker 2: It was just a few pedants in the audience who were like, look, he was like acquitted actually even though highly fucking suspicious.
Speaker 1: Still, I mean what this was like during the trial. This was like when he was on trial. I think a lot a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of naked gun fans in the audience. I guess a lot of Naked Gun, and I was I was like, why is he? Why is he on trial?
Speaker 1: It's a great performance he did. He did really good work in Naked Gun and was going to let his subsequent murdering of two people change change that fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, separate the art from the artists, you know.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's the place that like, I'm fine, h you know, fuck Wody Allen Films, but please don't make me change my opinion of OJ's performances in Naked Gun and what was the what was the disaster movie that he did? Like Skyscraper? Was that him? I feel like he did a sky like a tower of Terror or.
Speaker 2: Something, towering, towering inferno.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right. Also, you know, just to make sure you know that like your uncles and aunts who you stopped talking to a couple of years back, are okay? A lot. There was a the usual chorus of people suspecting that the COVID vaccine was behind his death.
Speaker 2: Still how I might dude twenty twenty four give that shit up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. On CNN there there was one anchor who like gave this anecdote about how like humble he was during his two thousand and eight trial like they were like.
Speaker 2: I'm not black, I'm oj yeah.
Speaker 1: Like at that time, and that's how you knew he was a good guy. But it was just like they were just treating it like another celebrity passed away, you know. And I remember and he came up to me and was just so humble. And so there's nothing that will humble a person like committing a double homicide, you know, because it really like makes you realize, wow, I can I can go there, you know what I mean, Nothing more.
Speaker 2: Humble than making a whole choke book about how you theoretically might have done the murder which that you were acquitted for. Yeah, very humble, yeh I did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there. Yeah, it was just it was a weird morning of tributes, a lot of like, you know, football players being like, hey, one of the greats, like not even opening with say what you will about but just like you know, just focusing on his on field achievements. The Pro Football Hall of Fame even issued a lengthy press release that talked about his athletic career, even his second career and acting and broadcasting, and then they, I guess they just stopped paying attention at that point.
Speaker 2: You can never take his athletic achievements away from him. Oh wait, they did it, and.
Speaker 1: That's what made him so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so cut him away. He hit that Heisman heist? Which can we get the Heisman heist?
Speaker 1: Heisman hest the Ocean's eleven Oceans thirty two? Wasn't that his number anyways? Monkey Persons having a moment. This is just something that occurred to me too late. On tomorrow's episode, you will hear one of our guests talk about their obsession. You'll never guess who this guest is. Their obsession with a human z like a chimpanzee human documentary. Okay, it's Chris Crofton. We end up spending a lot of time on that. I come through and talk about how like there's this new Sasquatch movie coming out, Sasquatch Sunset Sunrise starting.
Speaker 2: I'm surprise it's not Harry Andersons.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I just found out about that one. But I there's a there's a damn movie coming out this weekend called monkey Man that I totally forgot to mention, and also a new Planet of the Apes movie I think super producer Victor was pointing out and Kong versus Godzilla cong versus Godzilla monkey human hybrids having a moment. As as I mentioned on Tomor's episode, this is nothing new. This goes back to the earliest human art. We are obsessed with animal human hybrids. So yeah, just just wanted to let you know, you know, it is their job as the zechs to let you know what what is having a moment, and it is monkey human monkey Man's uh so hot? Right now? All right, I have a I have a question for you, Brian. If TikTok's so bad, why did hashtag fartwalks just go viral?
Speaker 2: Uh? You're gonna have to pay me a word picture on this one, JACKA. So did walks go viral on TikTok?
Speaker 1: People tend to think of TikTok as an app for young people with no attention spans, but incorrect, as evidenced by a seventy year old cookbook author who just went viral for promoting an idea called fart walks. The claimed queen of fiber fart walks.
Speaker 2: That just makes from the map.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, so this is this person has been documenting her nightly ritual of going for a walk after eating. I'm pretty sure they didn't invent that not just for exercise, but specifically to let out farts. And you know, it does have a little bit of like kind of foggy pseudoscience mixed in there, because she claims that it also, like letting the fart, keeping farts in gives you diabetes, which, okay.
Speaker 2: I knew there had to be some sort of weird TikTok ben to this. This is, this is nothing uncommon. You know, it's like taking a walk after you know, a meal. Does I feel like that's generally accepted that it does kind of a digestion, Yes, thanks settling down there. But she she gave it a snappy name, the Snappiest fart Walks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's been doing this for years. But a recent fartwalks post went viral has been viewed nearly ten million times. I'm a fan of fart walks just generally. I I know this feeling. One doctor uh did point out that, like when you're moving, your gi tract is also moving and that helps things move move about and you know, helps your body expel gas. So there is science to it. Keeping in farts does not like farts are not the cause of diabetes as far as we're.
Speaker 2: Pretty sure, yeah, let's throw that away with the what is it, the humors, let's just put that yeah, yeah, aay, the biles, Yeah, the biles, different biles. Yeah, Now, what.
Speaker 1: Helps you avoid the bad vapors and keep you in touch with the good vapors when you go for a fart walk? But yeah, anyways, shout out to TikTok uh and and fart walks. You can't ban it because it is an important You can ban medical reason never never parts. Yeah, what's next? All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. And there is a supposedly exciting piece of technology called the AI pin. That is suppose It's stated purpose is to replace the smartphone with an AI assistant that lives in a device that you keep pinned to your chest like a Star Trek communicator instead of a screen. The humane AI pin. Why why is it humane? We don't know, project lasers onto your hand so that you can.
Speaker 2: Yes, the best, the best surface to project an image your hands.
Speaker 1: You're you're well, you know the ups and downs and topography of your hand, like the back of your hand, So it's get get used to reading off of it. But the idea is you can do everything a smartphone can, but without your head buried in a screen. All right, So a couple problems. First of all, you know, the biggest richest company in the world has been working on screenless computing with their Alexa product product. The other biggest company in the world has been working on it with Siri. Those products are both bad. But I have kids who are of the age to be very intrigued and also like they don't get to use screens, so like they're anything to interact with a computer. They will ask questions of Siri and Alexa throughout the day and the answers stink. Those things stink at their out there.
Speaker 2: Generally they're good at certain things. A couple there. It's very like using your voice as an input method is not great. For too many reasons to list on a short podcast. It's just to put this forth as the future of you know, the thing that might replace your smartphone, or even something as a companion to your smartphone just never made sense. The rabbit r one never made sense because your it was another thing they released, well not released. They showcased it at ces humane showcase their product at CEES a few months ago, and they're both similar products, similar but different, but they're both equally useless because what they're offering is, hey, you know how you have a phone. Well here's a less useful version of that. Basically, yeah and yeah. It's really baffling to throw this much money into something that's clearly going to end up being e waste in a couple of years. There's no way this gets traction.
Speaker 1: It costs six hundred and ninety nine dollars and twenty four dollars a month for the subscription.
Speaker 2: No thes never going to happen.
Speaker 1: Like if they were going to it. It is basically an Apple watch, but instead of being on your watch, but it is, it's like an Apple watch without a screen. Yeah, and on a pin that you pin to your chest instead of like on a strap that you put around your wrist. But it's like the it made it the same shape as yepple, Like if you're gonna do that, like I would suggest not making it the exact same shape as an Apple watch, just an Apple watch without a screen. I don't foresee this taking the tech world by storm.
Speaker 2: Voice inputs are so like, okay, how are you supposed to put in passwords? You supposed to do banking with your fucking voice. It doesn't make sense. Yeah, Like, it's just not very well thought out. And also, just when they were trying to sell this, the guy who who created the CEO is one of the most uncharismatic people I've ever seen do a keynote, So he didn't really sell it that well as Cesyeah it was it was Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, the CEO of a company called Humane is not a charismatic human being. He looked.
Speaker 2: He looked like he had just had twins and had to like break away just to do the keynote. He looked so tired. He looks so exhausted.
Speaker 1: One review said the aipin is the solution to none of technologies problems, and another review noted that it doesn't work much of the time and is kind instantly warm, which is what.
Speaker 2: Else exactly what you want? Like this thing which is sending and receiving RF signals right over your heart. So I guess don't have a pacemaker?
Speaker 1: Yeah, do not do not use this product for the pacemaker, all right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Netflix viewers are being criticized for an opinion that I might happen to in some universe agree with at some level. So there's this new remake of the town of Mister Ripley. It's called Ripley. It is like, like, what if this very good movie was series length? But it stars Andrew Scott hot hot priest from season two of A Fleabag, So you know, good actor in a role we've seen before. Sure that's worked before.
Speaker 2: It's very funny that this is coming out right after Salt Burn, so I can wash all that salt out of their mouth.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's set in the sixties and all shot in black and white, and critics are saying, best looking TV show I've ever seen. The cinematography is beautiful. It looks like an art film like that. It definitely has that sheen to it. People non critics are losing their goddamn minds over the black and white cinematography, calling it annoying what the critics have their say, and the people are like, so fucking annoying.
Speaker 2: It's weird to expect to me, to expect the general public to have a rationale. But I'm I can't help but wonder what is the rationale behind? Like, why is it annoying to you to not have color? And what's so annoying about black and white. I don't to people.
Speaker 1: Generally, I don't know personally, I like color. I it's not this is not an informed, thoughtful take. I like a lot of black and white photographs. But when I'm watching movie, oh, I like, I like color movie. And it's because I've been watching movies since I was two years old, a time when I had the you know, belief that like, black and white movies are from a different time and are inherently worse, and the actors are bad and they all talk like that I'm saying, and they don't talk like any human being I've ever seen, And so I just have this like built in irrational bias against black and white movies. The guess is from the people commenting on this for why it's black and white make me feel very stupid for agreeing with them on this. They're like, they only did black and White to keep the budget down.
Speaker 2: Like, shut the fuck up. I'm trying to picture my favorite black like Eraser Hit. I'm trying to picture Eraser Hit in color, and I'm like, that movie is not going to hit the same in color. It's an aggressive, claustrophobic film that Black and White really helped sell.
Speaker 1: That well, they couldn't. They also couldn't afford Yeah, erasor yeah, you have to pay per color each yeah, each movie. Yeah color like when you look at those movies, but like when you go to.
Speaker 2: CBS and you want color prints, you have to pay more, right, So yeah, movies are the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think part of the problem is that Netflix does not have any black and white movies like on on it, you know, except like the one.
Speaker 2: They won an Oscar for Roma, which everybody loved. I don't know what's so different.
Speaker 1: Now they got rid of everything from before, like they have I think a total of forty three movies made before the year nineteen seventy, so you know, they treat old movies like shit, and then are you know, hoisted by their own pitar. They're they're annoyed that they are getting these dumb film takes when they get give us the good movies, give us the good black and white movies. If you're gonna make your show in black and white and expect everybody to be down.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I sing, I'm picturing people the same argument with those sections in Oppenheimer. It's like, oh, I guess they're just trying to save money. On half the movie by shooting in a black.
Speaker 1: They couldn't even afford color for the whole movie.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that they were Christopher Nolan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyways, we take weird take that I haven't don't agree with because I'm an idiot. All right. Uh, those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of Whole Shows. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Fight Bite