Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Strictly Business, the podcast in which we speak with some of the brightest minds working in the media business today. I'm Andrew Wallenstein, and the dog days of summer are traditionally the time psychotherapists of all stripes take some well deserved time off. Well, Strictly Business has managed to coax one of them back in front of the couch to fill the vacuum. But this is no average shrink. Doctor Orna Garalmik is the featured physician on the Showtime series Couples Therapy, where she helps relationships in crisis, letting viewers follow their progress we're lack thereof from episode to episode. She's currently shooting a fifth season, so we're glad she's making time today to talk about what it's like to adapt her practice to the small screen. Welcome to Strictly Business.
Speaker 2: Auna, Thank you, thank you for inviting me, Andrew.
Speaker 1: We must explain for the uninitiated and maybe some cynics. Your show features real life couples sharing real life problems with the world, and of course you are a very real practicing clinical psychologist and psychoanalyst. You teach An NYU's postdoctoral psychoanalysis program, So you're not just playing one on TV, so to speak.
Speaker 2: I'm not playing one at all.
Speaker 1: I'm myself okay, But it begs a question, what is a nice, pre eminently qualified therapist like you doing on a medium like this, What motivates you to open up what is a very private process typically?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I join in the question because I asked myself that question still, But it was it didn't It happened kind of gradually. It was not at all my plan. I mean, most people who choose to be psychoanalysts, including myself, are generally very private people. We're usually in a profession that privacy is like the number one frame or rule of the game, right, And we like to sit behind our patients and not even look at them face to face. So we're typically very private people. But I have become gradually somewhat more public being in academics. So I teach, and I write, and I write not only for academics, I write kind of beyond the scope of psychoanalysts. So I've already had somewhat of a public reach before, and that's probably what got the makers of the show to got to me. Somehow. They reached out to me, and first I thought I would consult to them just to make sure kind of they're keeping in like doing a good job in representing my profession. Sure, but we really hit it off and they convinced me to actually try and do it myself, which was a total strange idea to me, to try to do something so private on camera, and none of us knew it was going to work. We didn't know that function on camera, we didn't know that the work could be done on camera, and it was all like one big experiment.
Speaker 1: So what made you, you know, give this a world?
Speaker 2: Many things. First of all, I guess just kind of an adventurous spirit, something about the adventure of it. And I really liked the filmmakers. They're just incredible people, and they felt like I could do something with these people. It would be good, it would be of high quality, it would be ethical, it would be a real project, it wouldn't be some kind of fake representation. But I also feel in ways compelled to represent the prefetsion well. And I think the world kind of needs a lot more psychological and psychoanalytic thinking nowadays. I think it's and I think that's one of the reasons the show became so successful. It just hit a spot that is desperately needed, which is like deeper, slower thought into like the underlying motivations.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I couldn't agree more in terms of that public need. But you know, I've also wondered, are you want a mission of sorts, maybe even to sort of preserve the world of psychoanalysis, which you know is often described And please dispute my characterization if you take issue with it as something of a dying art approaching obsolescence? Did you am? I off both there?
Speaker 2: I have two things to say about that. Honestly, I'm not doing the show to promote psychoanalysis or to promote psychotherapy. I don't. I mean, there are not enough therapists out there in the world. There's obviously a great need, but I'm not there to promote therapy. I'm there mostly to promote psychological thinking. See, I want people to come out of the show thinking about themselves in a deeper way, thinking about fellow humans in a deeper way, thinking psychologically, not oh, how do I go and find a therapist right now? So that's my objective as far as, like you know, since I became a psychoanalyst, which was quite some time ago. There's always been talk about like the oh, it's a dying field, it's a dying profession. That is not true. I mean, especially not in New York. Sure, you constantly people looking for therapy. They are not enough therapists around. People want to do real deep work. They start with regular therapy, then they want to go deeper into analysis. It is not a dying profession. And there are other ways that psychoanalysis is relevant in the world, not only by way of therapy. It's it's it's a it's a way of thinking. It's a way of analyzing the world, and we need it.
Speaker 1: I get it. And so you mentioned that you had to be sort of coaxed into trying this out. We should mention the names of the producers, by the way, Elise Steinberg, Josh Kriegman, and forgive me if I'm miss to pray.
Speaker 2: You like to pray?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, there you go. And so they put you in the saddle, and I'm curious what that first experience was like and were you hooked or maybe still a little skeptical.
Speaker 2: I was definitely skeptical. We started with kind of a few test sessions with Actually the cameras were still in the room when we were doing that, and part of what happened was oddly, even though I was nervous and confused about how this is all going to play out, the work is the work. That was Like I remember coming out of the few test sessions and saying, wow, I feel like a baker. I know how to make bread. Doesn't matter the conditions, you always have to do the same thing. So the material just presents itself and you know what to do. I've been doing it for so many years, so that was like a first surprise. But then even the people I was kind of working with, even though they were nervous and confused and not exactly knowing what's going to happen here, it just you know, you listen to people and they want to tell you their stories, and then you think together about how to problem solve and it just happens.
Speaker 1: It's like, got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's stronger than the artific context.
Speaker 1: And but you mentioned artificial context. And so the question that arises for me is it certainly looks like what you're doing is actual therapy, but is it? I mean, do you have to explain to participants, perhaps that this is maybe like a similacrum of therapy, or you're saying, no, this is the real deal, and there's something about I mean, I guess I wonder if somehow the cameras corrupt the process despite the best of intentions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really really good questions. It is not therapy per se in the sense that, first of all, you know, as I mentioned earlier, like the iron frame of confidentiality is gone. So whoever starts this work knows that this is not private information between them and me. It's potentially going to be broadcast to the world. So in that sense it's definitely not regular therapy. But also part of the contract of therapy is the patient pays the analyst, and we don't do that. I mean, this is free, so it's not it's a different The whole frame of it is not the frame of therapy, right, not that aren't pro bono therapies, but the entire frame of it is different. So we call them participants, not patients, the couples, and it is in its in its contract and its ens in its essence, it is a similar croom in the sense that certain aspects of the therapy of original therapy continue. I think as a therapist, the work we're doing is therapeutic. It's hopefully helpful, but the basic tenants, the base frame is gone, so it's a similar room, but many aspects of the therapeutic process continue and are very powerful. So we're sitting together, I'm thinking analytically and systematically about what they're presenting me with. They're talking about their problems. We're trying to problem solve. Together. We build a relationship of a certain kind of trust and mutual care, and good things happen, like people get better with the material they bring.
Speaker 1: So that's certainly clear to anyone who has watched the past four seasons. And I'm actually curious, as you're currently shooting the fifth season, has the process changed as your approach evolved. Does it get easier because you sounded initially almost as if like you still need a little coaxing to even do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if it gets I mean, I'm convinced now that what we're doing is an incredibly useful thing for the public, which is kind of an amazing thing to be involved in nowadays. I mean, there's so many things that are going wrong with our world and to be part of something that is actually helpful for the world and pushes whoever is like watching it is pushing them towards more compassion and slowness and empathy and goodwill. To be part of that is an incredible experience. And the team I'm working with is just, you know, just the best people on earth. But it's not easy. It's not It didn't get easier. No, it's hard work. We take our job and we take the mission very seriously. So there's like an enormous amount of like thought and intention and presence that goes into this project by everyone. It's kind of a very intense commitment. Like every season that we shoot, it's like a full on dive into a few months of just full on commitment to the well being of the people to like a dignified representation of who they are. It's it's not easy. It's very satisfying, and I think we all feel just incredibly lucky to be part of this. But it's hard work.
Speaker 1: I do wonder though, you know, I can't help but think about the field in which you operate and the fundamentals that many insist on, and so I know you've gotten compliments. I'm curious though, if you've gotten criticism people who say that, well, once you pull out certain frameworks, this is not something that is this cheapen or distort what the actual process is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I oddly I did not get a lot of criticism. To my face, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To know how that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what's happening behind closed doors. But what I have heard and what I've read are legitimate questions, really legitimate questions about you know, big ethical questions like even people who agree to participate and are supposedly benefiting from the show, do they end up regretting it? Do they feel exploited? And those are always big questions that we take super seriously, and I think it would be dishonest to say that there isn't some degree of compromise for at least some of the participants experience privacy, and they may you know, they consent is like a funny thing. They might feel totally gung ho while they're doing it, but a year later they might feel very differently about it and have regrets or feel like, oh, it would have been very different if I did it now, or and that's real. So you know, my way of thinking about it is that and I think the participants feel that way, is that the benefit to the public ultimately fit it outweighs this this kind of sacrifice. But yeah, they're they're they're ethical questions here. I mean, I were super sensitive when when people during the filming, if anyone is feeling uncomfortable about what they're going through, they're always free to like drop out and stop. It's people are always doing it with like a great degree of like wanting to do it, being grateful for doing it. There there there's never any kind of pressure on them. So but it's it's it's a complicated issue.
Speaker 1: How involved are you in choosing which participants participate. I assume the producers have their thoughts, but I'm curious if you know, producers can say, hey, here's a couple with an interesting dilemma, and you may find, you know, what, these people need the real deal and maybe aren't suitable for TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There, there's there's a whole team that is that they recruit people and they interview people, and there's there's a team of psychologists that interview people before I meet them. So I'm not involved in any of that. I basically meet the people for the first session on camera. Oh, but if I meet people and I feel like, I mean, it's been very rare. But if I feel like people are too vulnerable or there might be kind of an issue that we didn't think about or that didn't come up in earlier interviews, I can say I don't think this is a good idea, this is too vulnerable a couple, or let's say there's a vulnerable kid that's involved in the family or something like that, And then I say, this is not a good idea. But it's rare because usually they do a really good job of screening.
Speaker 1: Sure, I guess I find as I watch that I want to pay you the compliment of saying you really, you know, you radiate a genuine integrity and it really comes across. But it's also a bit of a backhanded compliment because I worry about that. I worry about as you become a more and more public figure, how you protect that integrity and how you preserve it. I mean, do you ever fear as you I mean, you're several years into this now sort of a corruptive influence, because sometimes I see a lot of no one does typically what you do, but there are certain people whose names I won't name, who are you know, therapists who go into various modalities of this in the media, and I'm amazed at the transformation over time, let's put it that gently.
Speaker 2: Totally agree. And I'm very aware of the corruptive nature that is lurking every corner, whether it's the corruptive nature of money, you know, being offered to do something that will pay you a lot of money but will be kind of a real compromise to the profession, or the corruptive nature of like somehow, you know, I don't know, somehow fame seems to have some kind of pull for people I don't. That doesn't do much for me. But yeah, there's always there's always, you know, on the corners of things. There's always way that you can forget about your ethical principles. And I'm very aware of it, and i try very hard to protect myself. And I'm also just like you're saying that you're worried, I'm worried too my own. I think about it a lot. I'm it's I mean, especially nowadays, there's there's just such a sliding slope where like ethics and morals are like so cheap. Now, wow.
Speaker 1: Well, but the thing is success always in in the biz begets more opportunity. And I'm curious, you know, do you have ambitions beyond this show in the media space.
Speaker 2: I don't have ambitions in the media space. I have I have, you know, somewhat ambitious mcgallu Mannic hopes to contribute something to making the world a better place. That's my real ambition is to somehow add to the forces that are going against this kind of doggy dog world we're facing. You know, I have things that matter to me that I want to use this whatever engine I'm getting behind me to contribute to things that matter.
Speaker 1: So, you know, I could play Devil's advocate here and say, I hear what you're saying. The media is the place to advance that cause. If you want to reach the most people, So do this other show or produce this other thing. How does that strike you?
Speaker 2: If it's something I don't know, if I can produce a show that will somehow help people deal with their denial about climate or about what's going on, and or I would do it. I'm open to doing things about to participating in things that matter to me, and I will I'm going to join an international peacemaking organization. I will, and I want to, and I appreciate kind of having the opportunity to do that if I'm asked to join in selling a product that doesn't help anyone, No.
Speaker 1: Okay, but how do you think about the prospect of what you do and the way you are doing it on TV being done elsewhere? I guess I asked the question because often when I watch your show, which I love, I say, oh my god, I could watch this all day. This could be a whole network. Do you feel like there's an untapped appeal regardless of whether you're the one capitalizing.
Speaker 2: I think people can benefit and want to see people doing therapy. Yes, if it's good therapy. I think the more. I don't know if the more the better, but more would be better. I think it would be great for people to watch a lot of this, to watch people thinking, taking their time, thinking, analytically, listening to their unconscious, trying to listen to their partner in a way that is compassionate, in a way that is not about blaming or winning. Yeah, I think it would be great if more of that was out there.
Speaker 1: What's also been interesting and I don't know if you've seen this is the way your show has taken on a second life in social media. I constantly see clips. Are you aware of that? Do you have any I'm aware.
Speaker 2: Of that because I go and sit at my regular cafe here and people come up to me and they say to me, like, I love your social media, and I'm like, I don't have social media. I'm aware that there's like a lot out there. I'm not part of it, but yes, I'm aware that it's out there and that that's where a lot of people live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perhaps even more so than Showtime or Paramount Plus itself. But it's also like you kind of have less control over that. So I was curious, is it a double edged sword where it's like, Okay, there's more exposure, great, but less control.
Speaker 2: I don't actually know what to do with that. Do you have any suggestions?
Speaker 1: Well, it would start, and I'm not advocating you get an official account because that does not sound like your cup of tea, And to some degree, I don't think you can control it. I mean, I've seen I tet to disturb you at this, but like I've seen your voice get taken and trained with AI so that it looks like there are accounts run by you. I mean, that's got to be disturbing, though frankly it's not particularly well done, so I don't know who would fall for this.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, that's that's.
Speaker 1: A lot, I know. On a less dark note, I I don't know if you've seen there. You have imitators meaning impressionists who people have sent me funny memes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love the humor. I mean the more humor the better. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I will shout out a gentleman on tik toktalk named Miguel Luciano who does a flawless and flattering imitation of you. And I was just curious if you had seen it, and do you Are you disturbed by that or flattered?
Speaker 2: Or I love humor, even.
Speaker 1: If it's at your expense totally? What's the ill Luciano, Miguel Luciano, Okay, I want to reward good work by publicizing it, and I think you will not be disturbed by it.
Speaker 2: No, I love humor and humor at my expense. Please bring it on. I'm all for that.
Speaker 1: Well, but it's interesting to hear that I think you know a sense of humor isn't necessarily something you get to show off in a psychotherapy setting. And my guess is, and tell me if I'm wrong. Producers are probably pushed like, hey, we want to see more of you outside the office on the show, open up your private life. You get those pressures. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: I originally when we started making the show, the director's Josh and Elise and Eli, they were like, well why not? And I kept explaining I would I remember like I would read them passages from LACAN to explain why it's very important to maintain a certain wall of privacy. It's why it's important for the trans it's important for the process. It's not and I'm also private, but I also really believe that the show will do better if it's not about my private life. That it's not kind of cheap idolization of the therapist. But it's the emphasis on the process, not on the person. And they realize as we continued making the show, they realize that it's true that people don't need personal information about me. They need a way of thinking. They need the insights I mean, not the nonsense.
Speaker 1: Got it? And do you correct me if I'm wrong? You still maintain an actual, real life practice.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is my real life. I still that's what matters to me the most, my patience, and that's never going to change.
Speaker 1: But I can't imagine, and again, correct me if I'm wrong that your media presence doesn't somehow impact the real life. It must your real patients must see this, and who knows how that impacts the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, First of all, not all of my real patients see Some choose not to watch. They just know about it. And Okay, I've said this in other interviews that I feel like my real patients are actually the ones that carry the most burden of this show because they didn't necessarily ask for it. They didn't, I didn't. They didn't start working with me knowing that I'm a public figure that I'm going to be and suddenly, you know, their mother can see their therapist on TV. It's not necessarily great, and so I think it's not great for my private practice patients. But that's the price, and I think they realize that I'm I think a lot of people were worried that it's going to become my primary preoccupation, that I'm not going to care anymore about my practice. But it's not true. I love my practice. It's really where my true self lives.
Speaker 1: It's okay, So yeah, I mean there must be quite a balancing act between academia, the show, the real practice. Who know, And of course you know you have a private life. Do you foresee a time where the show, because of all these other demands, has to go? I mean, or you're not even looking ahead at this point.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Also, you know, with the way the networks are now operating, who knows, like how long this go on.
Speaker 1: It's not up to you necessarily, definitely.
Speaker 2: Not only up to me. But I'm sure at some point, but either we will stop making it or somebody else will replace me. I mean, I'm not going to keep doing this forever. I'm not. I'm not a young person.
Speaker 1: So there could conceivably be a version of this show that continues with a different therapist. Never thought about.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, I think that would be interesting.
Speaker 1: M m, certainly, although I would. I mean, we should mention you're not the only therapist who appears on the show. Your advisor, Virginia Goldner, your colleagues are seen talking about that, and to me, it's almost as surprising, if not more so that you're on the show in the sense that so many from your typically private field are maybe not opening up their own practices, but opening themselves up. I mean, did that take arm twisting or.
Speaker 2: I think for some of my friends, I mean it's a lot of these are friends, colleagues that are in my peer supervision group. These are all people that I anyway, I have like really strong professional and personal bonds with and I think early on people felt a little nervous to participate, but they heard from me that it's there's something that's really that feels very gratifying about doing this. You really feel like you're doing a public service and the you know, the team we work with make make everything feel very natural and no one's pressuring you to think in any one or other directions. So just feels like an extension of our regular life. People have just joined happily.
Speaker 1: That's good to hear. Well, I'll bet I'm the very first person to make this joke at the end of an interview with you, But our time is up. Sweet, thank you or enough for your time, looking forward forward to the following season, and thanks for joining me on Strictly Business.
Speaker 2: Thank you Andrew, Thank you for these awesome questions.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening, be sure to leave us a review at Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music. We love to hear from listeners. Please go to Variety dot com and sign up for the free weekly Strictly Business newsletter, and don't forget to tune in next week for another episode of Strictly Business