Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. Good morning, everybody, Happy Thursday. Have an amazing show for everybody today. What do we have, Crystal?
Speaker 2: Indeed, we do many big stories as per usual. So recession fears continue to mount. After some comments from the Fed Shair Jerome Pal yesterday, a significant Tesla investor is now calling for Elon to step down as CEO. So a lot that's interesting going on there with Tesla ground invasion officially begins in Gaza. We'll take a look at what is going on there and the US response. We've got a bunch of updates on the various court battles that are playing out, including how Elon is now giving money to Republicans who back his calls to impeach Judges. Some new data is revealing the details of how exactly Democrats lost, and some really stunning information there to parse through. I'm taking a look at how Trump is punishing the state of Maine and what it could mean for you specifically in this new era. And we are officially entering abundance discourse. Derek Thompson is going to join us for an interview about his new book and the political theory that he is.
Speaker 3: Sharing here with Ezra Klin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to talk to him. This book taking there's a lot of discourse around it. If you're not aware of that discourse, God bless you, you know you're actually you're doing the right thing staying out.
Speaker 3: That's for you to be aware of.
Speaker 1: That's for the nerds like us. You can enter in just a little bit and that can be your own introduction. But like Crystal said, let's go ahead and get to the recession watch. So there have been some very interesting comments here from the Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell about the possibility of recessions some worrying data. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: There's always an unconditional probability possibility of a recession. It might be broadly in the range of one in four at any time. If you look back through the years, it could be within twelve months one and four chance of a recession. So the question is whether that whether this current situation, those possibilities are elevated. I will say this, don't. We don't make such a forecast. If you look at outside forecasts, forecasters have generally raised. Number of them have raised their possibility of a recession somewhat, but still at relatively moderate levels, you know, still in the region of the traditional because they were extremely low. If you go back two months, people were saying that the likelihood of a recession was extremely low. So has moved up, but it's not high. So let me say that it is going to be very difficult to have a precise assessment of how much of inflation is coming from tariffs and from other and that's already the case. You may have seen that goods inflation moved up pretty significantly in the first two months of the year. Trying to track that back to actual tariff increases given what was tariff and what was not very very challenging, so some of it, the answer is clearly some of it A good part of it.
Speaker 1: So that was Federal Reserve Chairman. He's trying to tamp down any talk of recession, but he is saying that it is going up higher. Also talking there about inflation, key, because of course Federal Reserve policy is deeply tied to inflation. This comes on the heels of major announcement from the Trump administration, the ready ing of the biggest tariff regime.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Yet let's put it up there on the screen from Jeff Stein. Trump aids are prepping new tariffs on imports worth trillions for quote Liberation Day. So you'll all recall this was Donald Trump's promise from the State of the Union he will be doing reciprocal tariffs quote, but just quote from him was that it will be Liberation Day. He's doing it April second and not April first, because he doesn't want anyone to think that it's in April. Ruld's joke. The question is what exactly this is going to look like, and it's in implementation. It's genuinely all matters. So the idea behind it it actually, I think is when I could get behind. The idea behind it is we will charge anyone a tariff that they charge for us. But the question is about, like with the USMCA and the automakers, is how much of a tariff and how many times? Because part of the problem is we live in a hyper globalized economy where parts will often move across our border some fifteen to twenty times before it will end up in a finished vehicle. Is it like the whole assembly will be subject to the tariff or will it be one that is applied every single time. There's also, I mean, there's bigger questions here where even if in principle you could support reciprocal tariff, there are some tariffs where reciprocity is eaten on the back end, so like for a car, for example, but we'll still have a trade start plus in another good. The idea is to try and equalize everything. He but the implementation of it is just almost certainly going to lead to a lot of tariffs. And that's just one where it comes on the heels of a story from the Trump administration so far, which has been chaotic. This one I do think they have a better narrative on their side. Instead of like we're bullying Canada to be the fifty first state, We're like, listen, we're going to charge everybody what they charge us. But as I always say, it has to be charged with the paired with the story. It cannot be one where people think that it's just going to lead to higher prices. We need to see some serious movement. There's been some, I mean Nvidia announced yesterday they're going to onshore some stuff. But it's not just about you know, talk, You actually have to see some action. You really need to have a lot of faith in a lot of trust, and considering how things have gone now for the first sixty seventy days the Trump administration, by the time those go in, they are losing a lot of trust with the American public right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, they've already kind of given tariffs a bad name. And so if they had started with like we're doing, you know, tip for tat, they have tariffs on us, we're going to do the same thing recip I do think that that probably narrative would have landed better with the American public. But at this point, and I find this to be unfortunate because I'm actually worried about this, just like killing the good name of tariffs for all time, because they are an important tool in order to build up, you know, your industrial capacity or you know, emphasize key industries, et cetera. So an important tool to have in the arsenal, and they've sort of poisoned the very word tariffs already in my opinion in these early days of the administration. Either way, how we feel about them, it is Tosager's point going to be a if he follows through etcetera, etcetera, a significant increase in the tariff regime. I'm really not sure that Wall Street has entirely grappled with this, because I think they've always had this sense of, ah, he doesn't really mean it, He's going to back off, and they have some reason to believe that at this point, since he has gone in and backed off partially, et cetera multiple times at this point. So there could be you know, a huge reaction if he goes forward with quote unquote Liberation Day. I'm calling it l day on April second. Another thing I was reading about this morning is just in terms of the bigger picture, of where we are economically. You know, the Trump administration is betting that there is a decent amount of sort of economic buffer because some of those macroeconomic numbers you know, coming out of the Biden administration were in fact good. You know, unemployment was really low, for example, and consumer sentiment was coming back up. But we know because we've been we're covering this the whole time. There were significant warning signs in the housing market, like the housing market has not been normal in a really long time. Things have been just kind of like frozen in place for years. At this point, you also had a situation where consumers, yes, they were maintaining their spending level, but they were increasingly having to rely on credit cards in order to be able to do that. So that indicates that they aren't really in a position to absorb much of a shock at all if there is an economic downturn, if hiring does begin to freeze, if you know, if layoffs do start, if the stock market does continue its downward trajectory, so they may not have as much of a buffer zone as you might think if you were just looking at those top line macroeconomic numbers. On the other hand, you know, consumer sentiment was pretty low during most of the Biden administration, and it didn't actually represent it did not actually lead to a decrease.
Speaker 3: In consumer spending.
Speaker 2: So last time Tiger and I were talking about, Oh, this consumer sentiment index that's really important.
Speaker 3: It's falling off a cliff.
Speaker 2: People are really nervous, their inflation expectations are high, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Sometimes oftentimes that can.
Speaker 2: Lead to a sort of like self fulfilling prophecy, or because consumers are nervous, they pull back, and retailers are looking at that consumer sentiment and they're pulling back as well. But that is not always always the case. So you know, there's a lot of mixed signals here. But I don't think there's any doubt that if they move forward to the full extent on April second, there is going to be a significant blow. And I mean Jerome pal said as much. You know, in his very like Federal Reserve chairs, their whole thing is to be is sort of like neutral and non inflammatory as possible because they know how closely everybody parses every single word. But basically it's like, yeah, terroriff's lead to more inflation and lower growth. That's what we are increasingly expecting is growth to be lower than what was previously projected and for us to have to worry more about inflation. I just saw soccer this morning. Trump is out, of course, he's very upset. He wants the Federal Reserve to cut rates, et cetera, to help him with his tariff policy, and right now the Fed is not going along with that.
Speaker 1: That's still in a quote wait and see policy. And yeah, I mean I am worried to just about all these crazy shocks to the market, because what you'll have is, like, you know, stocks were up yesterday on the SPED chairman's talk about not lack of recession and about possibility of cutting rates, but then you could have a major terif regime, and then the Federal Reserve would try and come in maybe save the economy and cut rates low. We just have this just chaos. That's what people don't want to see. And you're starting to see some pushback. I mean, mainly it's not just Wall Street, I would say, it's really the financial press itself is just having a lot of difficulty dealing with all of this. So here's Maria Bartriomo from Fox Business. By no means somebody who is adversarial usually to the Trump administration. But you know, you got to watch this versus her the Treasury Secretary, Scott Besstt. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: And they have substantial tariffs and as important as the tariff or some of these non tariff barriers where they have domestic content production, where they do testing on our whether it's our food, our products that bear no resemblance to safety or anything that we do to their products.
Speaker 7: See, these are the things that people are really worried about because they first thought it was just about trade, then they thought it was just about Fenton All. Then after that we talked about, well, maybe it's currency manipulation, and maybe it's now you're talking about food testing.
Speaker 3: And when I bring up the issue of clarity.
Speaker 7: That's that's what I'm talking about, and that's what I'm hearing from Corporate America that we're not sure where this is going, but of course we will get resolution on August.
Speaker 3: On a April second, rather.
Speaker 1: So you could stay there. You know, that's about his light pushback. I think, as you're going to get but it's still important. And keeping with this, you have the chief economist here of Moody's, who has recently been giving an interview. Now, why does it matter. Remember everybody Moody's, everybody on Wall Street. It looks to them downgrading of debt, their forecast. Those forecasts get incorporated by the analysts. The analysts then put that into their overall projections, and then sometimes projections can be fulfilling because it will cost people either to sell off or to pair back, or to hoard cash allah war and buffet style. So here he is the chief economist of Moody's talking about recession. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of talk about reciprocal terriffs, that's broad based tariffs coming into effect in a couple of weeks I think early up April that actually happens in those turiffs stay in place, bringing length to time couple three four five minths. I think that's enough to push the economy into recession given everything else that's going on. So you know, this would be this is a this would be a really weird recession, right, I mean, it's recession by design. You know, the economy came into the year rip raw and exceptionally strong, and we're pushing it in because of policy it just doesn't feel like, you know, that's the direction we need to go.
Speaker 1: Look, that's Wall Street. It could be wrong, and we also could have the old Trump like, yeah, we're doing this, we're doing this, we're doing this, and then we're not doing this, so we have no idea. They could pull back. I mean, that's part of what I always think is that the danger always is that if you have a tariff regime and you go to the bat for tariffs, but then you pull back, you don't you both get like the market reaction to tariffs, and then you don't get any benefit of tariffs. That's the problem. So I am worried about this just in the sense of this has to be implemented properly and needs to have a plan, and needs to be paired with something real, Like it's not just in video and open AI giving talks. Look, I think it's great that Nvidia is gonna onshore hundreds of millions of dollars, but like, let's look at reality from the Chips Act and all that. Yes, it definitely helped, but a lot of that money he did not go to a lot of the declining states. It states that were already open for business and that we're kind of booming places like Arizona. Right. Yeah, look, I had nothing against Arizona. I'm glad. But you know, part of the whole idea behind tariffs, why the UAW and others support them, is also to revitalize areas that are economically declining, and we have not seen that as of yet from the states of Ohio, you know, Pennsylvania, of Michigan. A lot of the economic growth if you look like in Pennsylvania, a lot of it is healthcare, which that's a problem. I think that's not really a tariff thing that you can necessarily solve without some direct government intervention. So look, they're playing with shaky ground. Yeah, if you screw people's money, they're gonna get mad. And it's one of those where you can do damage to yourself in the future and you may both go to the bat for something and then end up losing, which in my opinion puts you in all the worst world.
Speaker 2: I mean, in the terms of the politics of this, we are in very unusual territory with regard to Donald Trump, where his number on the economy right now are some of his lowest numbers. Yes, and it comes at a time when the economy cost of living inflation, the importance of that to Americans is only going up right now. So the fact that he is, you know, being seen right now increasingly is failing to deliver on what was one of the core promises of his campaign and what has always been one of the core promises of him as a leader and as a political candidate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a you know, it's a big issue for him.
Speaker 2: And you couple that with talking about, you know, the reconciliation coming down, big tax cuts for the rich, cuts probably to medicaid, a tax on social security that people are very concerned about, very concerned about about. In fact, the data segment that will probably get to today, assuming that we don't talk too long in these other blocks. One of the things they found is that the most effective message right now about Trump is he is cutting taxes for the rich and cutting your social security and your medicare. So a lot of or less political ground that he's on right now.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get over to Tesla. This is really interesting stuff happening with the stock now. You might even ask why does it matter with the stock, Well, if the Elon's going to be major player in our government. Actually, maybe we can edit this in later. This is maybe an ask to our producers. The Commerce Secretary late last night I literally went on television to encourage people to buy Tesla's stock. I mean, I can only assume that it's not even just about personal interest there, but like they see that as an existential threat to Elon, to Doge and their ability to be able to carry their things out. So the fate of this company does obviously matter, not only in terms.
Speaker 2: Of that, not only that, I mean Trump was hogging Tesla's in the launch. So this is like a hole of government effort to prop up a preface the stock of yes of the richest man on the entire planet.
Speaker 1: So there you go. All it makes a lot of sense sticking with that. Not only prior prior to Doge Elon, we often saw Tesla the most successful American cars startup of all time, especially in modern history. So what does that matter? Well, you know, we had bet that electric vehicles are going to be part of some of our future. May not be everything, but you know, we want to have some leadership in the area. And at the very same time that we're seeing troubles in our electric vehicle market and in our companies byd is leaping bounds of what is possible. So let's start off here. This is a major investor in Tesla who took to the airwaves and basically publicly said, I think there needs to be a new CEO because he's just not spending a lot of time on this company. This is Ross Gerber. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 9: I think we all make choices with our time, and Elon doesn't get more than twenty four hours a day just because he's Elon. So we make choices all of us. Do do we spend time with our family, do we go golfing?
Speaker 10: Do we work? And how we.
Speaker 9: Do this is, you know, each individual chooses, and so Elon chooses to work, you know, all the time. But you can only work so many hours a day. So it's twenty four, right, and he's sleeps so so there's no question he's been committed to his job at the government. That's where he's spending his time. He is not running Tesla. And you know that's why I'm going to say it. I think Tesla needs a new CEO. And I decided today I was going to start saying it. And so this is the first show that I'm saying it on. It's time for somebody to run Tesla. The business has been neglected for too long. There's too many important things Tesla's doing. So either Elon should come back to Tesla and be the CEO of Tesla and give up his other jobs, or he should focus on the government, keep doing what he's doing, but find a suitable CEO for Tesla.
Speaker 3: So you are saying, essentially, if he's not prepared to quit that government job, he needs to go.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's time.
Speaker 1: So you the reason why that matters is he's a major investor in Tesla and there are a lot of Tesla investors who are upset. I'm looking at the stock right now. It's a flat basically on the last six months. Let's go and put that tear sheet please up on the screen here, because it fits with the broader pattern of people inside of the company are deciding that they're going to sell off. So put the next tearsheet up. B Two Tesla board members and executive are selling off over one hundred million dollars of stock in recent weeks.
Speaker 3: Never a good sign.
Speaker 1: Not a good sign. Yeah. Usually together the four top officers of the company have offloaded one hundred million in shares just since early February. It's likely that this is a result of the fact that it bumped so high immediately after the election. But you know, the truth is is that if it's flat on the last six months, it's erased all of its pre election gains. And broadly, like, the company does have issues. I mean, if you look not only at the demand, but you've got the brand stuff which is currently happening, put B three pleas on the screen so people can see this. Yeah, I mean, if you look at the decline overall, the year to date decline, specifically that's from January, so that was really where elections are, and we're talking about a thirty seven percent decline in the overall stock value of the company. And there are issues both with their current sales. They're branding right now. You also have to think, like, who are the people who are buying teslas. They're mostly like rich people, and like rich people are usually liberals in this country, especially the type of people who are going to be attracted to an EV. So I've been seeing people like we need to make buying the cyber truck like a major part and I'm like, well, you know, it's like a eighty five thousand dollars vehicle. Yeah, not to say that there aren't a lot of poor people out there driving eighty five thousand dollars Ford F one fifties or whatever. They shouldn't be doing that either. But my point is just if you look at the general demographic of who their customer is, on top of the political brand hit that they're taking, and if you also see if Tesla's a global company, elon, you know, he might be popular or whatever with Republicans here that's fifty percent of our country. But you know, we have to think about Germany. We have to think about the global marketplace, and the biggest problem they face there is as well, his brand is becoming polarizing. Byd cars are only getting better, and in those countries you can buy a b Wyd car, you can buy a Jamie car. You can't buy one here. So in a way, he's actually protected a little bit in the United States. But their stock value depends very much on sales globally, in China, in Germany, in the European Union, in fact, I mean the use case for an EV in every other country. But the United States is much better just because it's small. You don't have to drive that much, and they have better infrastructure than US too, So yeah, you rarely have to think just about what that future value is. And I mean it makes sense if you're Ross Gerbert, like purely from a financial perspective, you're like, listen, I mean you're literally I mean gave you an interview to Ted Cruz and he's like, I sleep six hours a night and I wake I work every single other hour. And he's like, and this is all I'm working on. It's on does It's like, okay, well you literally CEO and these companies, So how much attention can you realistically give this here? I mean people have always said that about Elon, but it's a little bit different when you're focused on government as opposed to running two or three other kind of interconnected businesses yea at the same time.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the knocks on Tesla is that the inventory right now is stale, that Elon's attention is elsewhere, and so you know, it's not his baby anymore the way that it used to be. It's not his like obsession of the moment, and this is a man who's known for glorious obsessions, and so that's part of it, I mean, but the biggest part is just how toxic he's become and how polarizing he's become, and not just in the US. But you know, we tracked before. The sales in Europe have fallen off a cliff.
Speaker 3: In Germany. I saw a stat they did a poll. It was like.
Speaker 2: Ninety four percent of German said that they would not not even consider buying a Tesla. And as Sager said, there are other options, and it's not like in Europe in particular, people are buying fewer evs overall. Quite the contrary, the percent of new vehicles that are being purchased that are EV's continues to be on the rise, and yet Tesla sales, like in Germany are down sixty percent. I mean it just at some point it becomes a real problem. Also, just to flag something, to keep an eye on something, I'm going to keep an eye on. The Financial Times has an article today calling into question some of the accounting with Tesla flagging as sort of one point four billion dollars that is questionable of what's going on and where it went, et cetera. So there may be a lot more going on there, but THETTOM line is Elon is toxic.
Speaker 3: Figure.
Speaker 2: The car has become itself very polarizing, and most people are not looking to make a political statement with the vehicle that they're driving. They just want to like have a car that's good and drive it and not get dirty looks from whoever while they're driving it. And you know, then they've got this increased competition issue as well. I do think it's like, to me, it's very funny. Republicans, the new party of the working class organizing themselves around supporting the stock value of the company of the richest man on the planet is an entertaining subplot to all of it.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean, look, we can all do. We can do hypocrisy all we want, like.
Speaker 2: Martin del pocracy. I just think it's funny, Like.
Speaker 1: The Senator trading in is Tesla for Chevy gas powered vehicle, which is not even a hybrid. What's up with that? That's like, Look, I'm not saying it isn't dull like somewhat amusing, but I mean I care. I like electric vehicles and I think they're cool. So you know, I drove, actually drove past a sick EV nine today. I gotta give it to Kia. They are nailing their electric cars. I think they're really cool. But this sticks with what we were talking about earlier with BYD. Look, I mean again, any just casual observer who has no politics aside, you just have to admit BYD is sick. Let's put this up there on the screen. Look at what they just announced. They got a five minute charge charge time. They are saying that, according to them, the platform now has a charging power of one thousand killowatts, takes up to one thousand amps, which means it can charge batteries at a rate of two kilometers per second. It can give you four hundred kilometers in range in five minutes. The equivalent to charge time on a Tesla would be about two hundred miles in a range of fifteen minutes. That's if all the stars aligned, like your battery is low, you're att a two hundred fifty kilowat charger. There's nobody parked next to you, which means that you're you know, your wattage or whatever is going down. I mean a lot of this is just about the engineering marvel of what BID has been able to accomplish, and also in terms of the regulations and design that they're allowed to build over there in China. I'm genuinely convinced if we were able to do or even regulatory allowed the types of cars that they build over there, they would be huge sellers. Like in China, the concept of a vehicle with a five hundred mile gas tank and a three hundred mile battery, it's everywhere, and actually they're interconnected. I mean, think about that's eight hundred miles of range. Who would not buy that? You know, it's one of those where it's a daily driver. As far as I know, our plug in hybrids don't even go up to like forty or fifty miles. I think forty is as good as it gets here. That's just not enough, you know, if you think about YEA, So their market not only heavily subsidized by the Chinese government, they built their infrastructure and all that over time, but they've laid such a framework that they're elon the founder of BYD who himself again is a genuine engineering genius for him to be able to create this product that is just going exponential now with everything that is available to him, and if you think about the global marketplace. Again, People in Germany or wherever, they don't care if it comes from China. We care here for the integrity of our US auto market, but in a lot of other countries they don't think that way, or they just want to buy whatever is the nicest car, or they have friendlier relations with China. And so that is a direct threat to tesla'sability in the future because their whole growth project was not just America, it was the whole world.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely the case.
Speaker 2: And I mean, the only thing that is saving our EV market right now is protection to some much like otherwise, forget it, it'd be over because this development is so significant. I mean, one of the primary things that keeps people from buying an EV is Look, we're Americans. We love the long road trip, and it's a pain in the ass to have to Like, you know, first of all, you're nervous about am I going to find a charger? Is it going to be broken? Like, you know, did I have the heat on too much and now my range is too low?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 2: Though, what do they call it? Range anxiety? That's one of the big issues. And then okay, you get to the charger and then you got to sit there for twenty minutes at best if you have a Tesla and it's a supercharger and whatever to get a significant you know, range charge, and that's a pain in the butt, Like you want to get where you're going when you got your kids, they're man annoying, et cetera, et cetera. So if you can charge up three hundred miles in five minutes, I mean, now we're getting to where it's comparable too how long it takes to fill the tank of gas, not to matagine. This actually ties some into the abundance conversation we're going to have later too. You know, our charging network is not nearly sufficient. And then the thing that really jumped down at me in this article too is that they say that the key challenger to be white. It's not Tesla or any other you know, American or European car company or whatever. It's another Chinese battery companies of CATL. Last year they unveiled a new battery with a charge time equating to one kilometer of range per second or six hundred kilometers in ten minutes. So this is part of what we're seeing with the AI development as well. That Obviously we have strong competitors in the AI field, but China has strong competitors just internally domestically, So they have in a very short period of time leap frog to where now technologically with these like frontier technologies, they are not just competing with us in some in many instances, actually they have surpassed us, and they're kicking our butt. Like their model in terms of innovation is working better than our model, which is sort of sclerotic and financialized and you know, monopoly driven and et cetera. So this is you know, one instance of that that is really incredibly striking. And yeah, they're gonna like if we are unable to figure this technology out and catch up to them, every American ev maker is going.
Speaker 3: To be toast globally.
Speaker 2: They will only be able to compete within the you know, protectionist regime of the United States of America, and that will be about it. And Tesla and not Tesla, Sorry, BYD is concerned about our automaker's stealing their technology. Let's put us up on the screen. This wasn't the only concern, but this was part of it. Their delaying approval Beijing is for BYD to build a plant in Mexico because they're worried that that tech is going to leak across the border to the US in some sort of like you know, corporate espionage situation. Now they have other concerns, especially with regard to you know, there's the trade war going on, and so they're nervous about some of that and how that will impact it as well. But that was apparently a primary consideration, which is quite funny how the shoe is now on the other foot.
Speaker 3: Sager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, except they're smart enough to actually think about that beforehand and not figure it out twenty years later. It's amazing. Actually, when you have smart people who are in your country, you can do amazing things. Personally, I'm a Yang Wang guy. That's the BYD luxury suv. The thing is incredible. You can float on water, according to them. Really, yeah, it's one of those that you should look into it. I've seen some videos of people driving around and they're just they're awesome.
Speaker 2: So Israel has quickly moved from a bombing campaign in Gaza to now a new ground invasion. Let's go ahead and put this up on the screen. This is their defence. Min is warning the residents of Gaza with total devastation. He says, this is your final warning. The first Sinoar destroyed Gaza. The second Sinoar will bring upon it total ruin. The Israeli air forces attack against Hamas Terras was only the first step. What follows will be far harsher, and you will bear the full cost. Evacuation of the population from combat zones will soon resume. If all Israeli hostages are not released and Hamas is not kicked out of Gaza, Israel will act with force you have not known before. Take the advice of the US President. Return the hostages, kick out Hamas, and new options will open up for you, including relocation to other parts of the world. For those who choose the alternative is destruction and total devastations. So I mean, obviously there's no real choice being offered here. They are headed towards that total devastation, and we already know that they've been preparing for this ground invasion and it has in fact begun. We can take a look at this map up on the screen. This will be famili year to some of you that you've got them bisecting Gaza in two. Once again, he warned, there. You know that people are going to have to be forced to flee from the rubble that's left of their homes, once again displaced. There has been a siege in place now for I believe over two weeks, so no food, no fuel, no medicine is coming in. Yesterday I saw an eyewitness report on the ground about seven children at a single hospital having to have amputations with no anesthesia whatsoever. That's what we're talking about here. So Sagar returned to absolute full force. There are some domestic political ramifications in terms of Israeli. You have amber good number of the population that want the Israeli government to focus on return of the hostages. Obviously, when you have this sort of all on assault and ground invasion with massive death tolls, death tolls like what we saw at the beginning of this war, that is not only putting Palestinians at risk, it is also putting the remaining hostages at risk as well. So yesterday there were protests in the streets. We could put this up on the screen from the New York Times. Thousands of Israelis gathered on Wednesday outside the Parliament building to renew a ceasefire deal in Gaza. To protest political moves by Prime Minister benchmin Netnaho, including firing the head of the Shinbett Intelligence Agency. The convergence of popular anger over both domestic and national security issues came a day after Israel carried out deadly aerial attacks across the Gaza Strip in what Nannah who said was only the beginning. The strikes ended a temporary truce with mas that began in January and added to uncertainty over the fate of hostages still held there. Bibe has his own, you know, I mean, obviously his own domestic political concerns, but he is this long pushed off corruption trial that was about to be was about to have to give testimony and again, oh whoops, now we're at war again, so I won't have to do that. So it's very naked to a lot of Israelis. How much of the war plan is about BB's own personal interests versus you know, like I said.
Speaker 3: A lot of them.
Speaker 2: It's not that they're worried about the brutality versus these of the Palestinians predominantly not, but they are worried about being able to get their own hostages.
Speaker 3: Back in one piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's also a scandal in Israel right now where Bbe fired the head of the Shinbet, like their domestic agency, and that was it's actually it's causing some like similar court battles between the Israeli courts saying that they was done illegally, which has now led to some deep state convo which is predominantly hilarious. Let's put C three pleas up on the screen from Benjamin Nett and yaho. He says, in America and in Israel, when a strong wire right wing leader wins an election, the leftist deep state weaponizes the justice system to thwart the people's will. They won't win in either place. We stand strong together, right, So tying himself directly to our own domestic political situation, I guess fairly considering how much influence they have over here. But people should always remember, you know.
Speaker 2: Look, I think Israel and replied to that too, Oh Diddy's right cool something. Yeah, that's one of the like, oh my god, dude, you are in the keep staying like, how much of the new like revealed redactions in the JFK files are like about Israel?
Speaker 1: And well, yeah, we're going to have Jefferson morleyon he's a great journalist about the JFK files, But overall it's kind of disappointing, and it is something I always tell people because they're like, oh, the files are and then I'm like, guys, with nine to eleven, with JFK, with the UFOs and all that, we almost kind of like UFOs maybe aside there's a lot more we could learn. But no, there's no government document that's like there are visiting aliens. There's no government document that says we shot JFK. A lot of the circumstantial evidence and all that, it's all out there just but in terms of the fact that the official narrative is completely BS and for the CIA elements and all of that, the story has been effectively known since nineteen nineties, I would say, And you know, it's obviously popularized and a lot of people really paid attention after Oliver Stone's movie, but even before that, the whole Jim Garrison investigation, Americans by and large didn't believe the story. I thought it was a conspiracy very very early on. So I know, it is kind of disappointing on that's the way that it's all shaken out.
Speaker 3: On the BB deep state thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, why wouldn't he say this because it's worked so well, even like you know SBF going on, yeah, on Tucker's show, and you know, certainly the Tates portraying themselves some victims of some deep state, which Hunt Russell Brand comes to mind as well. Eric Adams in New York comes to mind as well. So try and true strategy. So why wouldn't be be who certainly understands domestic political strategies here within the US context, why wouldn't he also go ahead and make himself a victim of the deep states?
Speaker 1: You know what he's doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: What's C four up there on the screen as well? This is from Ken Klippenstein. This was actually really interesting. It's basically about the quote Iran War Plan, and what can can report, according to some of his sources and others, is that inside of the Pentagon some war game plans are now beginning to take shape. Now, obviously that's not something that means it's going to happen, and of course there's war plans for everything, but quote the new war plan construct is itself new in that multilateral components including Israel, working in unison with the golf partners, either indirectly or directly, are now part of it. And the plan also includes many different contingencies and levels of war, from crisis action meaning response to events to quote deliberate planning which will set scenarios to flow from the crises out of control, including it up to obviously like invasion, full concept plan, full operations. Look obviously, somebody ordered those plans to be renewed for what purpose we don't know. Does bring to mind, gosh, I'm blanking on the guy's name, Wesley something. He was the general. He was the general during the after the war on Tario came out and talked about war plans that were for Iraq and for all the rest of the Middle East. People often point back to that one as evidence of like fore, planning for multiple invasions y going forward. But anytime you see something like this, you should of course take interest, why has this been ordered for what purpose? Because the alternative could be to order some revolutionary diplomacy. At the very same time, we do know that Trump has apparently sent a letter to the IATOLA being like, we need want to deal within the next two months or something, But we haven't seen any movement on that A.
Speaker 3: No, quite the contrary.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think because they're also re implementing the maximum pressure strategy, and so I think that has I mean, I don't know that Iran was going to be that amenable to making a deal at this point anyway, given that they already made a deal. And it backfired because we pulled on you know, Trump one point, I oo pulled out of the deal. Biden failed to get back in or really show that much interest in getting back in, and now you've got even more sanctions being applied to them and threats coming from the White House. So it's not looking great, but you listen, you never know. The other thing that was really troubling that Ken was able to report we can put this up on the screen is as part of those war plans include a nuclear option, and he points specifically to this comment that Trump made, and Trump said this thing, he said, we can't let Iran have a nuclear weapon. I would rather have a piece deal than the other option. But the other option will solve the problem. And Ken thinks this may be an allusion to like a sort of vague allusion towards this nuclear war plan which has been developed as part of this larger menu of options with regard to an all out war on Iran. So obviously all of this is deeply troubling, and just to give you the latest few updates from on the ground in Israel as well, just to be as current as possible here, you did have some Hamas was able to fire some rockets at Tel Aviv, which obviously it's wild that at this point, given how much destruction across the entire Gaza Strip, that they still have that kind of capability. And per Haratz, you also have updated death toll massive numbers of Palestinians being killed this week by Israel. Over seven hundred and ten Palestinians killed, nine hundred wounded in Israeli strikes in the Gaza Strip just in the last forty eight hours. Some of the patients died to a lack of medical equipment, says the spokesperson for one hospital, and thousands of Israelis continuing to march and protest in the street as this ground invasion has officially begun in northern Gaza. The bombing campaign obviously is all out and kind of no end in sight here. I mean, at this point, there isn't even you know, a pretense of looking to negotiate a new ceasfire deal or looking to get back to Phase two, et cetera. As we said when we covered this earlier in the week, Bbe always made it clear heat and really intend to go to phase two. The question mark was whether the Trump administration was going to actually apply pressure to force them to go to phase two. And at this point it's pretty clear we have our answer there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. All right, let's move on to the courts.
Speaker 2: A bunch of updates for you warning about what is going on in the court system. But let's go ahead and start with this. Elon Musk continuing his attacks on judges. This in a rather ill informed tweet, he says, quote, this is a judicial coup. We need sixty senators to impeach the judges and restore rule of the people. Okay, this is where his South African roots are really coming out, because first of all, impeachment happens in the House. Second of all, to convict in the Senate, it takes sixty seven senators. So nice try on that one, obviously community noted on his own platform, But more significant than that, I mean, this is part of a broader push towards impeaching the judges, towards putting pressure on the judges.
Speaker 3: On the President of.
Speaker 2: The United States has echoed some of this language as well, put D seven up on.
Speaker 3: The screen here.
Speaker 2: Elon has also donated to Republican members of Congress who have directly supported impeaching judges. He's given the maximum allowable direct contribution. It's something like sixty six hundred dollars. So we're not talking about millions, y or soccer. It's more about the message he's trying to send. And this has been you know, one of the core things again that has been different about Trump two point zero is Elon from the very first fight made it clear he is perfectly willing to use his billions in order to enforce conformity from the Republican Party. And lo and behold, you know, I mean, you combine that and with the fact that Trump has just completely subsumed this party at this point, but you have so much less actual dissent this time when it comes to vote taking than you did in Trump one point zero. And Elon again here signaling the direction he wants Republican Republicans to go in with this increasingly hostile view towards the federal judicial system.
Speaker 1: Well, I am glad you agree with me, Crystal that many foreigners don't have a civic understanding of America and should perhaps keep their mouths shut a little bit. But whenever they come here, just an idea, maybe if you're a campus protester or something like, listen, I would you know, maybe keep your bullshit a.
Speaker 3: Lot in immigration if we're going to deport Elon Musky.
Speaker 1: All right, well, he actually is a good example about interlopers and all of that. But anyway, coming back to the Musk point, it is important for people to understand here that it is not like he's giving them a ton of money. It's sixty six hundred dollars. It's really about sending a message. And I would say that the most important thing is generating the headlines for all of the other Republicans who are in the House and in the Senate to know that you're not just getting a donation from Elon And obviously that will help in the future with respect to America Pack and his other super Pac organizations, But it's really about the boost that you're getting within the Republican base and on their media, which is predominantly at least the thought leaders and others getting them from Twitter. People like us are covering the story, and if you're a Republican legislator, the message is clear, go along with this, and I'm going to get a tongue bath from Elon on Twitter, which is very useful to them whenever they go back to their district. It helps them get on Box News, get some some media publicity at elsewhere. So it's really just about moving the incentives more towards like Elon's particular approval of you and your ability and then thrive in the Republican Party in the future.
Speaker 3: It's that, and it's also.
Speaker 2: If you you you know, get rewarded if you do what I want you to do, and the threat is also hanging over that of if you don't, then there's going to be infinite money basically put towards a primary challenger if you get crosswise, so you know, it is is definitely intended to send a signal to all and so far it's really worked. Actually, Lisa Murkowski was giving some speech back in Alaska where she was talking about like, yeah, he could fund a primary challenger. I could be done tomorrow if he liked, you know, just drops however much he wants to drop.
Speaker 1: So they're definitely she thinks that's true because she survived.
Speaker 3: She might be one of the rare ones that could survive because.
Speaker 1: Is so unique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean that is there. They're definitely thinking about it. Given how central money and politics is, and and it's not just the money said, I mean, he's got the President, he's got Twitter. They have so much power and control over this party at this point that even someone like Lisa Murkowski has to at least be worried that it would be a problem for her. Let's go ahead and put now D one up on the screen. So very latest with regard to the Alien Enemies Act deportations.
Speaker 3: So a judge warned of.
Speaker 2: Possible consequences after DOJ pushback on questions about the deportation flight. Let me read you a little bit of this here so I can make sure to get the legalies correct. So it says a federal judge Wednesday, warned of the possibility of consequences.
Speaker 3: After they pushed back.
Speaker 2: US District Judge James Bosborg had ordered the Trump administration to submit answers to his questions about the timing of the deportation flights and custody handover of deporte deportees, giving the government until noon Wednesday to respond. The government submitted a filing Wednesday morning asked asking for a pause of that order to answer his questions. It contended that the answers could expose negotiations with foreign countries to Syria, risk of micromanaged and unnecessary judicial fishing expeditions, and potential public disclosure. The judge was not impressed with this. The government basically threatened that they may invoked state secrets doctrine to keep this all private, even though you know, we talked the other day about we actually all know now because of public flight tracking information, where the flights were, when they took off, when they landed, all that stuff. Not to mention that they themselves released and amplified these videos of the you know, detainees and having their head shaved and all that sort of stuff. So, in any case, the judge said, the government's motion is the first time it suggested that disclosing the information requested by the court could amount the release of state secrets. To date, in fact, the government has made no claim that information is even classified. He continued, for example, the Secretary of State has revealed many operational details of the flights, including the number of people involved, many of their identities, the facility to which they were brought, the manner of treatment, time window during which these events occurred. Courts therefore unsure at this time how compliance with its minute order would jeopardize state secrets.
Speaker 3: He gave the Justice Department until noon.
Speaker 2: Thursday, that's today, possibly after this even gets posted to either answer his questions about the flights or invoke the State Secrets doctor and explain the basis for such invocation. So TLDR is they're still trying to stonewall and the judges getting increasingly impatient.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they may get held in contempt. Even if they do, it's going to go on a rocket to the Appellate Court, and then from the Appellate Court it's going to go to the Supreme Court. So there's still quite a bit to happen here. Bringing back to the judge conversation, it is just becoming clear that there are so many of these things. I have spoke to one friend who said that this might actually be packaged with the multitude of the other judges orders, so that Scotus tries to get ahead of like being I mean, you know what, in the last forty eight hours, we've had the USAID Court decision, the transgender decision, there was USIP and there's also this one. So it is one that no, I actually am missing one. I'm forgetting exactly what it is. But that's five literally just in the last like seventy two hours, that these questions of temporary restraining order in the role of district depellate and timely process and all of that could be picked up by SCOTUS asap in order to head off future like showdowns like the one that we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you reference the USIP one. Let's see, this is D four we can put up on the screen. Is just the latest info here. A judge has denied a restraining order to block DOGE from its takeover of the US Institute of Peace, saying that despite being offended by DOJ's hostile ands writing treatment of American citizens, there are issues with the merits of the lawsuit.
Speaker 3: So that one, you.
Speaker 2: Know, no final ruling here, but a temporary restraining order in this instance was denied, and then I believe they'll begin to weigh in on the merits next week Monday, if memory serves so that's basically the latest.
Speaker 3: But you know, I mean the campaign around pressuring.
Speaker 2: The judges is a central part of their strategy at this point, and you know, floating impeachment for judges, Elon floating like putting his money behind it. Trump was asked Ryan and Emily played this was asked about like, oh, would you ever just defy their court orders? And he said no, But you need to look at some of these judges. You need to look into some of these judges seem to be sort of like tacitly backing this direction to put pressure on them. You know, do I think that any of them could actually get impeached? Given that, as Elon apparently doesn't know, it takes sixty seven votes in the Senate in order to impeach, I think that is not going to happen. But you know, they again are trying to send a message and make it uncomfortable. I think in some of these instances it could backfire.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are human beings.
Speaker 2: If you're aggressively threatening them, et cetera, sometimes people get their backup and it makes them even more determined. But you know the other thing with regard to this particular judge, Bosberg is like, if you look at his case record, he's definitely not like a lip. He was actually put in place first by George W.
Speaker 3: Bush.
Speaker 2: He's had a bunch of decisions that actually went in favor of Trump, and so you know, the caricature of him is certainly not accurate in terms of the way he's being portrayed as some quote unquote radical left judge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it is annoying to see them try and paint that as both were pointing out his wife or his daughter or whatever. I do just I mean, look, we talked about this in our debate. I think it's crazy the idea that a judge could take a US military aircraft and to turn around.
Speaker 2: Or it actually wasn't a military aircraft, it was an ice chartered flight. But you know, the there's many instances of judge rulings having an impact on things that happen overseas because you're ruling applies to the agency. The agency is giving the direction, and so this is not it's not crazy, it's not unprecedented.
Speaker 3: It's happened many times.
Speaker 1: I was about to zoom out a little bit and not just talk about the flight. But like, for example, the transgender order. You know, it's like this, this was a policy implemented by executive review by the Obama administration, then flipped by the Trump administration, and now the judge ruling that actually this violates the law is literally citing Hamilton in their footnotes. So like, let's all also be like a little bit honest here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's fine, but that's why you have an appeals No.
Speaker 1: I'm not I mean disputing that, but I'm just I get very annoyed at this idea that like there's this worship of fullness of the judges and the courts. When anytime some crackpot judge in Texas rules on myth of pristone, it's like, oh, the courts are legitimate. This is ridiculous. When the Supreme Court rolls on Scotus, it's like, oh, we got to pack the court. It's like, let's be honest here about like reverence and annoyance for judges, both on sides of the political spectrum and for where that appeals process comes in. I mean, I genuinely do think many of these judges' orders are patently insane. Like the transgender one in particular, I'm like, what, like, under what rule are you allowed to say that this is some like civil rights violation when it was an executive policy from the very beginning that was put into place by Obama, flipped by Trump and now basically put back into place by Biden and then flipped by Trump again. It is just so obviously within the Article two powers of the Commander in Chief under the US Constitution. Now this is going to take forever in terms of pushing things to the court. Like That's why, if anything, I'm cheering for like a fulsome decision, because this is not the way that a government should be run, like literally constantly being changed by some district court. We saw the same thing at the first Trump The reason, but I mean some Hawaii judge, the reason is this is not this is not legitimate.
Speaker 2: And I haven't I haven't acquainted myself really with the transgender to say, I haven't Dog Hamilton, I haven't dug into the you know, legal merits of the case, et cetera. So I don't want to apply it on that one. But I mean, the reason that there's so many court decisions is because they're violating the law so.
Speaker 3: Frequently, like that's the reason why.
Speaker 2: And I mean you've had judges that Trump pointed rule against Trump, You've had George W. Bush appointees, You've had you know, across the spectrum. Because what they're doing is so extreme. Now much of this will I mean, we'll go through the Pels process and we'll go up to the Supreme Court. That's the way that this is supposed to go. But you know, I mean to discuss that this is a concertative strategy for them to try to intimidate the judges, put pressure on them, and they also you know, they're playing this game where they are in defiance of court orders. I mean with the with the planes is probably the most brazen example, but also with USAID and a bunch of these other decisions. The judge will issue a very cool, clear ruling and they'll just be like no, and they'll come up with some right, oh, well we didn't understand or we thought you meant this, or actually we're doing it under this other power whatever.
Speaker 3: But it does stack up to.
Speaker 2: Persistent defiance of the courts in a way that is extraordinary, in a way that we have not seen before. And you know that does represent a sort of new era and new approach where he's trying to consolidate and very effectively, so all of this power in the executive so that he and Elon can basically do whatever they want. They've already destroyed that, like the Congress has given up their power. They don't even want to have power anymore, so that one's dead and gone, and the only thing that's left is the judiciary to serve as any sort of check on an executive. And that means you know, not just Trump who you feel more comfortable with, but if there is another you know, election with a Democratic elected, then it would they could easily take up that same approach for ends that you would not be.
Speaker 3: Excited about, it would not approve of.
Speaker 2: But so yeah, so, I mean that's why these battles are significant and important, and why they're approach to them truly is different. I mean, we haven't had set for two hundred plus years, we've had a consensus that you don't try to impeach a judge over a ruling you don't like, and that's something they're seeking to change. That's really noteworthy and it's really different.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I wouldn't take it. It's not like there weren't calls FDR Era and all end to impeach during Lincoln as well to impeach judges for people who they disagreed with. It's just that usually they don't rise to that level because you need sixty seven people to do it, and it's not going to happen. So I think I agree with you that it's not going to happen. I just am saying at a philosophical level in a certain sense, like what is happening here is kind of like a left fever dream that was under the Biden administration where they just desperately wanted Biden to defy the courts on student loans or I've talked previously about like maximum stretch executive power. This is basically an idea of like seizing government as opposed to or seizing government in this case for the sake of dismantling government. And probably the left case is seizing government in the case of actually trying to exercise the power of the government. But in both they're trying to invest more in the executive authority under that present and as always in this district judge thing, I think we also have to take a step back I saw somebody make a good point is that a single district judge, and there's seven hundred district judges, actually has more power than a single Supreme Court justice in the sense that a single district judge can inch issue a temporary restraining order that applies to the entire United States federal government, whereas it takes five out of the nine justices to actually implement a policy that basically is the ultimate ruling of the Supreme Court of the United States. And process by death by process is a Washington thing as old as time throwing the wrenches. Now, I don't disagree that the Trump administration, all of them, have taken extraordinary action on USAID and all this other many of which I disagree with and I actually think is quite stupid. But the district judge point about governance by judiciary, where it's just this constant judge shopping both left and right for where they're looking at that system is genuinely kind of insane. Now, is it better to have some dictator in Elon and Trump? No, not necessarily, but I do think that people should look at this and say this is not really the correct way, or at least I think how judicial review was supposed to be put into place where there's this constant back and forth and then this district judge is invested with all this power and then sometimes we have to wait months for an appellate process or whatever to go through the Supreme Court on a timely basis. You know, there is uh, there is genuinely like a criticism I think to be had of the way that this is playing out on a practical level.
Speaker 2: The time benefits trump the fact that it's oh a hundred percent because think about I mean, this is their strategy. This is what Ban and Another's talk about is flood the zone and overwhelm these institutions. And while it's having to slowly work its way through this process and appeals court and eventually maybe go to the Supreme Court, et cetera. Usaada is destroyed, CFPB is destroyed, like there is.
Speaker 3: That is what.
Speaker 2: They're counting on is for it to take a long time. And in the meantime, you know, as we've said before, federal government agents like it's not a switch you can flip on.
Speaker 3: And off in a meantime.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, incredible damage is being done that no court will be adequate to undo. Now, can they forestall some of the worst damage potentially, But you know, we've already seen the way that this unfolds, so I view it quite the polar opposite. Number one, the time that it takes only benefits Trump. You know, even if we just look at this discrete example of the planes that we're able to take off while a judge is having to like just give the most basics of deliberation, you know that's already it's done and dusted and those people are gone, and like that's that. So you know, even in that discrete example, you can see the way that they're able to accomplish some of their objectives just by taking advantage of the fact that it takes time with the courts. But I also think that what they're doing by violating so many laws and constitutional and you know, the constitution at once, is they are overwhelming the court system and seizing so much more power from it and betting that it's going to be effectively inadequate ultimately to be able to you know, forestall them achieving their objective. So quite to the contrary of like the court system being so powerful, I think the court system looks pretty weak right now. In terms of being able to, you know, stop what many lawyers across the political spectrum, like I said, Trump appointees, Obama appointees, George W.
Speaker 3: Bush appointees, all across.
Speaker 2: The board have said looks to be illegal, unconstitutional violations of the law. So, you know, I guess I see it com like polar opposite rather than they think of these individual district court judges are like so powerful. I think the whole judiciary put together is really it's the only institutional check on this administration. But I'm under no illusions that it's like sufficient.
Speaker 1: I take your point, but I think it's because you see, you know, what they want to do, like let's say the Department of Education. They want to eradicate the Department of Education. It's right, Okay, well you can't literally do that, so they're try do fifty percent. Let's or USAID even better example, Yes, you can stop the funding, but if they order you to get it back and it's back in a year, sure you've caused some chaos in the interim, but you have made no substance of real change the overall arc of the US government. You might have knocked it off like a little bit in terms of all of this funding, but you know it'll heal and it'll go right back to funding the same NGOs let's say five years from now under a democratic president. And in the district judge case, like for example, you're talking about the planes, it's like, well you could see it in that sense, it's like, yeah, all those people have been deported, but if you wanted to continue to make this like a long standing policy, it's literally not happening. I think that's probably a good outcome if you're some liberal ACLU immigration lawyer. So the point is is that you may are not getting everything that you want, but like on balance, you are actually putting a stop to a lot of the policy or even the implementation of long standing ones. So I do want to see a resolution like to this because in a sense too, the chaos becoming the story. It's like what we were talking about with tariffs. With the chaos becoming the story, you get all the political backlash of something and not even any of the so called intended benefit that was supposed to come as a result of this. So you may get all the political backlash of deportation something like that, and not actually even have any deportation. So in a sense, you don't even really get what you voted for and the policy, while at the same time you're inviting all of this court and district battle after over every single executive action. And I will grant you that there are many I think are wrong and or unconstitutional whatever, But the point is is that by this district judge process of all this happening, there is no confidence I think on either side here because in the way that I'm taking your view of the situation, that actually any coherence is happening in the government at all. And I don't think that chaos works at like a big, small d democratic level, especially increasing confidence in both the judiciar where people think judiciary is failing and the people who think the judiciary is overreaching. If any of that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It does, and I think you're right, Like, obviously it's not popular, it's not going well from them from a political standpoint, but I'm not that's not the only goal. Like maybe they care about that, maybe some of them care about that, But the ideological goal is to break government, and they're doing that pretty effectively.
Speaker 3: The ideological goal is.
Speaker 2: To, you know, for them to push the limits of the amount of power that Trump can claim and you know, they're doing that and Elon can claim and they're doing that very effectively. The ideological goal for Elon is, you know, I think a number of different things, but he's certainly been able to use his power to get rid of investigations that are targeting his companies. He's in position to hurt competitors, he's in position to you know, take contracts and funnel them towards his companies, et cetera. So from that perspective, yeah, I think, you know, I think it's working to serve some of the ideological goals that they have that like the rest of votes of the world have, where you know, they they hate government. They don't want government to work because if government doesn't work, that gives you more of a cudgel to further cut and destroy government. And so, you know, I mean, he's what was his quote, he wants to make the bureaucracy miserable or make them suffer or something like that. You know, he wants them to self deport. Yeah, hey, they're doing you know, that's.
Speaker 1: But they're not self deporting. They're not quitting enough.
Speaker 2: They're digging in, they are digging in their heels in a certain sense. But I am quite from speaking with you know, plenty of government workers. They are definitely being made miserable, uncomfortable, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So that part is succeeding.
Speaker 1: One of my buddies has to go in at five thirty am to an office that they hadn't been two for years. There's not even enough desks for everybody, but they all have to be there and they have to stagger their time. And he's like, look, this is not more efficient. It's actually obviously stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not about efficient.
Speaker 1: I'll really the goal, you know, Curtis Again, Curtis Jarvin actually made a pretty good point where he's like, look, if you don't do this properly, the bureaucracy will become roaring back and will actually become ten times more both entrenched in our institutions. I think he's actually right.
Speaker 2: Did you see the Did you see that Tim Walls quote on this? Finish your point and I'll look it up Curtis's point.
Speaker 1: Curtis's point was basically, if you don't do it effectively, then you're actually just ensuring like a not only like a restoration of the regime, but the regime on steroids. I think he's right in the sense that right now Doge has successfully what cut a few programs if you like, Okay, that's cute, that's nice. The Pentagon still exists, Medicaids still exists, social Security still exists. All of the genuine, like capital b power of the bureaucracy is effectively untouched. The Department of Education. Look, we can argue all day long. I'm sorry, it's a joke. Like it's just not even powerful, absolutely at all, especially considering the vast majority of school funding does not even come from the federal government, and the policies at the state level are the people who actually are.
Speaker 3: There people without funding from the federal government matter.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially that money's not going anywhere or at least according to them for right now. But the policies at an individual school district level are in the school district and the state. Those are the people who mostly rule what actually happens inside of that building. So my point is that if you keep doing this slapshot approach and you have the vibe of cutting the government, but by doing that, you're actually making government institutions and all that more popular. You could in effect see a rise of a much more powerful and dangerous deep state in the future. What's the Tim Watson, I.
Speaker 3: Can't find it.
Speaker 2: But basically he got asked about, you know, this question of how do Democrats think about rebuilding the federal government, and you know, his response is like, we need to think about He said it could almost have a silver lining because.
Speaker 3: It could allow them to build back better.
Speaker 2: That's not what he said, right, That's the idea is like, basically, you know we can Okay, they No one says the federal government's like perfect and not sclerotic and doesn't have these issues. It does, so Okay, you've like devastated this we get to rebuild potentially from the ashes and make it better, strong, or et cetera. So there is some of that thinking going on in the Democratic Party. But you know, I was looking at the numbers of just in terms of the immediate term impact of the corporate enforcement actions that were previously occurring under the Biden.
Speaker 3: Administration, a quarter of them have been dropped.
Speaker 2: So like it's just open season for you know, all these corporations, whether they were you know, under investigation from the CFPB or the SEC or the National Labor Relations Board, et cetera. It's huge numbers of those enforcement actions have been dropped. You know, in terms of talent you have had, I'm not sure the numbers at this point, but you've had significant numbers of federal employees who have either taken the fork in the road or they've been fired, pushed down, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And some of those.
Speaker 2: People, a lot of those people are the types that they had another opportunity in the private sector. They were the more valuable federal gard and employees. Getting that talent back is very difficult because it's you know, it's a hard sell. You're going to make less money working for the federal government. Public servants have just been like completely vilified, and the idea of even being a quote unquote public servant is sort of like under attack. So that expertise isn't something that's easy to return. So in any case, in my estimation, they're doing a lot of significant damage that's going to cause a lot of long term problems.
Speaker 3: And you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't Democrats are may have aspirations to be able, like Tim Wall said, to be able to build it back more effective, stronger, better expertise, et cetera.
Speaker 3: But you know that's a big ask. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: A little while back, and extraordinary scene played out in the White House. During a gathering of governors, Trump singled out the governor of Maine, Janet Mills, to chide her for that state's policy with regard to trans athletes.
Speaker 3: Take a listen.
Speaker 5: The NCAA has complied immediately, by the way, that's good, But I understand Maine is the Maine here, the governor of may are you not going to comply with it? Well, we are the federal law. Well you better do it. You better do it because you're not going to get any federal funding at all if you don't. And by the way, your population, even though it's somewhat liberal, orthough I did very well there. Your population doesn't want men playing in women's sports. So you better comply because otherwise you're not getting any federal funding. Every state.
Speaker 11: Good.
Speaker 5: I'll see you, and could I look forward to that. That should be a really easy one. And enjoy your life after, governor, because I don't think you'll be in elected politics.
Speaker 2: So what happened next is probably not going to be a big surprise to you. In short order, the state of Maine found itself under assault by Trump's federal government bureaucracy. So first, the Department of Education announced it was investigating the state in a specific school district where a trans athlete had been allowed to compete. That investigation threatens the four point eight billion dollars that main public schools received from the federal government. Now maybe you think, look, it's an education related issue, agree or disagree, not out of bounds for the Department of Education to investigate. But the retaliation did not stop there, not even close. Next, the Department of Health and Human Services began investigating the main education system to include the main university system. Four days later, that quote unquote investigation was completed, finding they violated Title nine, placing their funding in doubt. They even took the extraordinary step of referring the matter to the Department of Justice. And as part of this investigation, not a single witness was interviewed, not a single data set requested. Shortly thereafter, Attorney General Pambondi did threaten the state with a lawsuit. Then came a Department of Agriculture or investigation threatening the one hundred million dollars main land grant universities that amount that they received from the Agricultural Research Service and National Institute of Food and Agriculture. Next, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration pulled the Main Sea Grant, which supported thousands of jobs over decades and coastal communities focused specifically.
Speaker 3: On the fishing industry. And finally, in maybe.
Speaker 2: The most bizarre move of all, the Social Security Administration terminated the Enumeration at birth process now that allows new parents to get a Social Security number for their babies simply by checking a box on a form while they're still in the hospital. Instead, exhausted new parents would have to tote their newborn to one of the now beleaguered Social Security field offices, where they would likely have to wait hours to accomplish something that previously took seconds. They also ended the auto processing for funeral homes for people who had died, cruelly forcing grooving loved ones to spend hours working to inform the government that their spouse or dad or mom or whoever, had in fact died.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: When first confronted over this particular attack, Leland Dudik, who's the stooge but in charge of Social Security Administration, as a reward for helping out the DOCH hackers. He originally claimed this was all just an innocent mistake. This was, of course, always pretty hard to believe given the overall targeting of Maine, and now Dudek has just out and out admitted that he was lying and did in fact do it all out of spite. As Tuesday, why he singled out Maine, whose Democratic governor, the Washington Post notes, Janet Mills, has fought the White House ban on transgender athletes participating in girls' sports. Dudak acknowledged, quote, I was upset with the governor's treatment of the President. Now, in some ways, the fact that Dudek may not have been instructed directly is to take that action makes it even more extraordinary. This is why lackeys like him are put in charge. They follow the lead of the King, punishing his enemies without even needing to be told exactly how. That is the entire reason they're there, after all, he understands the assignment. Now, the punishing of Maine is a case study in their broader strategy to crush political opponents and scare people into compliance. That's why California's wildfire relief funding was threatened why judges are being threatened with impeachment, why media organizations are being sued, investigated, and branded illegal. It's also likely the reason why Trump is attempting to fight the two Democratic members of the FTC board.
Speaker 3: The FDC has a lot of power.
Speaker 2: It can give favored companies the go ahead for their mergers and deals, or it can make life health for them, causing them financial issues. He was likely fearful that the Democratic board members would be interested in fairly applying antitrust law, not using those powers as a cudgel to punish or reward on his behalf. Now, this abandonment of even the appearance of an independent bureaucracy means we are entering a new era in American politics. It used to be a great scandal when bureaucrats were suspected of using their powers to punish the political enemies of the president. Does the name Lois Learner ring a bell here? Sager remembers he was at the center of a giant Obama era scandal that centered on whether or not TEA party groups had been targeted by the IRS.
Speaker 3: This was huge news at the time.
Speaker 2: Under Trump two point zero, it's just kind of taken for granted that friends of Trump and Elon they're going to be helped, and political and ideological enemies they're going to be screwed across them, and you can kiss your disaster relief goodbye.
Speaker 3: I for your loyal service.
Speaker 2: Though maybe he'll tweet about your favored shit goin, or even pump it up through the new.
Speaker 3: Crypto Reserve, who knows.
Speaker 2: Now, some of you might believe that aspects of the federal government were weaponized against Trump under Biden, most specifically a Department of Justice. Now you know, I don't agree with that assessment, but let's say you feel that way, it should actually give you an even greater appreciation for why it is so important to try to keep the functions of our government as neutral as possible. Because while the government has never held to this ideal perfectly, let's be clear, what we're seeing now with Trump is something else, entirely in typical Trumpian fashion. His weaponization of the government. It is brazen, it is heavy handed, it is out in the open, and it is so much worse than anything we've seen in modern history, so much so that in a few short months he has demolished even the expectation of an even handed bureaucracy and replaced it with an expectation that it will be wielded to crush anyone who intentionally or accidentally stumbles into his disfavor. Now the oligarchs, of course, they instantly understood this new order. That's why they all were lined up behind Trump at the inauguration, showering him with cash and with flattery. If you think through that, this whole of government retribution system will only be applied to large organizations, states, media organizations, law firms, that sort of thing. Though, Mackmoud Khalil's case should prove to you that any individual who gets crossbys with this administration can find themselves destroyed. In fact, a French scientist was just blocked from entering the country because he had some critical comments about Trump on his phone. When it was searched by DHS, they said his private messages were hateful and conspiratorial and could be deemed terrorism. He was deported the following day. Just think of all the ways you rely on the government to not screw you. Maybe you need your Social Security check or your passport renewed, or would prefer not to get audited every single year. They can make you miserable without even breaking a sweat. Now, weaponized bureaucracies like this they're pretty common around the world, though they're typically associated with some developing world strongman type. It's a good way to get order people to just keep their heads down, try to avoid earning the ire of the king. But there's also reason to believe that in this age of DOGE and AI, it could actually get so much worse. There's reporting to suggest one goal of DOGE is to consolidate all of the disparate data sets that various government databases hold into one place business loan applications, mortgage applications, student loan data, child support payments, tax famous income, every bit of it. There is also reporting that this administration is already using AI to crawl through social media profiles to identify people who have engaged in wrong thinks, specifically on the issue of Israel. Put all of this together, and the possibilities for abuse are endless. In the same way that Israel's use of AI accelerated its genocidal attacks by generating massless of targets that they could then assault, AI unleashed on the entire data set of the federal government could vastly accelerate the ability to punish anyone who expressed a negative opinion about Trump or Elan or Doze or Tesla or Israel, or indicated any sort of liberal inclination whatsoever. It could actually be done automatically, no cumbersome bureaucracy required. We have seen the way that this government has already approached mass removal of documents, grants, historical records, programs, etc. That happened to include some word from a list of banned words that they think code liberal, Like how they deleted all of the information about the Onola Gay, the bomber that dropped an atom bomb on Japan, simply because it contained the word gay.
Speaker 3: Now imagine that.
Speaker 2: Approach applied to the entire population. You better not chat about diversifying your portfolio or trading equities. Better not be helping your kid with their inequality's math homework. Say Gulf of Mexico once, and those doge boys will mark you dead in Social Security before you could say LATINX. It's kind of funny. I guess it's completely crazy, But the possibility for crushing speech is way too real, and for punishing dissidents. Governor of Maine sounded exactly this alarm after seeing the way the government launched an assault on her entire state over her audacity to challenge the president, she wrote, quote, you must ask yourself who and what will he target next?
Speaker 3: And what will he do?
Speaker 2: Mills continued, Will it be you? Will it be because of your race or your religion? Will it be because you look different or think differently? Where does it end?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: Man got lucky in a certain respect. They happen to have a Republican senator. She was able to plead the state's case to the King. Some of the retaliation was rolled back, like, for example, that main c Grant thing over at Social Security. Dudeck says he came to regret his actions there. But I bet Governor Mills she's gonna think twice before she displeases Trump again, isn't she. I bet every governor in the country knows the set of acts I just laid out. It's gonna think twice before they speak out on any issue and earn the ire of this president. I bet there are plenty of would be protesters who see Israel returning to its genocide in Gaza greenlit by the Trump administration, or gonna think twice about protesting because of how Machmoud Khalil was targeted. And this is just the beginning the whims of a dictator combined with a fully compliant bureaucracy backed by the world's richest man, and finally turbocharge with the extraordinary power of AI, the tech enabled strongman, possibilities are limitless and the main example, like how do you feel about the issue is not really important. She pissed him off, and there are a million reasons that you could end up pissing off to up Trump, and he has already demonstrated how he will use the USDA, the National Oceanic Administration, the Department of Education, the HHS, Social Security, every tool in the toolkit to make you.
Speaker 1: Pay Trump's What Trump has done is is unsubtle. I guess like you were talking about the lowest learner thing. I mean it is complicated because at the same time, federal funding is genuinely too at the discretionary of the unitary executive and the bureaucracy. Like estates are not owed money. For example, the University of Pennsylvania just got itself cut off over transgender sports policy, and people are like, oh, this is horrible. It's like, well, you don't have a right to federal money. You know, the federal government has very often used its money as a cudgel to force laws on the books. Speed limits is the most famous example. Same with seat belts.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But but the point is is that it's this has always kind of been there, and it is. The problem is is that no executive has used this before in a less subtle, in a less unsubtle way. No executive has done this before out of a norm's respect. But it doesn't actually stop you ever from having been able to do this from a legal perspective, if that makes sense. And this has long been a conservative argument, is that the left uses the government as a tool of its own social engineering policy DEI and all that other stuff, perfect example, why would we not do the same. And in a sense, I'm like, I'm somewhat sympathetic to that argument.
Speaker 2: Right, I hear what you're saying, But you have to acknowledge, like, this is not even so much about policy. It's about punishing people, institutions, groups that are political opponents to you, and political alternative political power centers.
Speaker 3: It's the same.
Speaker 2: You know, this is part and parcel with using quote unquote anti semitism to to defenestrate the university system. You know, he doesn't care about anti semitism, but he sees this is a thing out there that he can use to hurt universities. And he doesn't like universities, you know, California, Like they didn't come to the White House and say a thing about trans kids that he didn't like. They vote the wrong way, and so now maybe it's going to do their wild fire funding. Maybe he's not their disaster relief. I mean that one in particular you have to admit is it's such a break from we've always had the view of doesn't matter if your state is red or blue or purple or whatever, like, when you need help, the federal goverment is going to be totally for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now it's like yeah maybe.
Speaker 2: And so I'm not saying that the federal government has never been webinized against anyone and they've been perfect. I'm not saying that, But what I am saying is that that was the baseline expectation.
Speaker 3: There was an expectation that if you.
Speaker 2: Are an individual going in to you know, get your security check issue resolved, they're not going to be looking up in some database to see if you said something mean about Donald Trump or about Tesla or whatever to decide whether they're going to.
Speaker 3: Help you or not.
Speaker 2: And I think those sorts of possibilities are very much on the table now, especially when you look at like that case of the French scientists who they looked at his phone and were like, oh, you were mean to Donald Trump. You can't come in the country. Like that's new and different. You have another case, similar to Mackmoud Khalil, of a professor here in Georgetown whose wife is an American citizen and he is now being detained because of her the MA con citizens suspected beliefs with regard to Israel after he was targeted on a list from these prozionist groups. Totally, so all of these things together it has created already, I think, a totally different understanding and framework for the federal government bureaucracy that truly is a break from the expectation of the past that it would be more or less neutral in terms of day to day interactions, how they handle things like disaster relief, et cetera.
Speaker 1: No, I mean disaster relief is the one where you're one hundred percent correct. I mean same on the I mean the Israel one is just that to me is always again the most ridiculous, because we're literally talking about criticism of a foreign government. I also think it's a big free First Amendment, a lot of justification there because beyond even as you and I and we disagree on deportation et cetera, especially like my thing with mak mukhalil Is, I don't think he should be deported for what he said, but I still think he's going to get deported. The bigger problem for me it is actually these Columbia students who are getting expelled because of pressure from the federal government because of their own speech. That is one where you are a United States citizen and the federal government itself is actually using it a cudgel to infringe upon your ability for the education that you were accepted and that you have been enrolled in this institution, and they're effectively depriving you of that ability through the cudgel of their government. Same with Social Security right, the same thing. It's like, you are a United States citizen, you've paid within the system, You literally have earned your right that is not subject to your political wins. I would say the same with California, and California's paid way more into the federal government than anything they've ever taken out of it, which they'll never forget in reminding you. But they're not wrong. I mean, if you can be all your house burns down, yeah, you better help us out. So yeah, that's where I think, you know, that's the real danger.
Speaker 2: I think that there's Yeah, I mean the social Security thing in Maine was crazy and that he just admitted, like, yeah, I did it because I was not at the governor. Well, like, I mean, first of all, we shouldn't be thinking in terms of like punishing the entire citizens of any state because you don't like that action, you don't like what their leader said to the president is crazy. But I mean to Trump's point, I looked it up, forty five percent and main did vote for him, and you're punishing you're punishing all those people.
Speaker 1: It's like a Redish state. It's genuine. I mean usually goes blue in the presidential but like they've got you know, Susan.
Speaker 2: They had that crazy Republican governor. I'm forgetting his name, Paige, Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was that guy was wild so yeah, main man can go all kinds of ways, like politically.
Speaker 1: I consider myself a manor in spirit out you're interesting.
Speaker 2: People anyway, we have are looking forward to this conversation with Derek Thompson. If you've been anywhere online, you may have seen this abundance discourse that we wanted to dig in the book that he just published alongside as Reclined.
Speaker 3: So let's go ahead and get to that.
Speaker 1: Joining is now great friend of the show, Jerrick Thompson, and he is out with the new book which is just seemingly everywhere Abundance that he co authored with Ezra Clined. So the theme of the book is quote to trace the history of the twenty first century, so far to trace the history of unaffordability and shortage. After years of refusing to build sufficient housing, America has a national housing crisis. He goes on that Abundance explains our problems today are not the results of yesteryear's villains. Rather, one generation solutions have become the next generation's problems. The book actually seeks to put forward some solutions. So Derek just at the top here for people who aren't familiar with abundance discourse, there's been quite a bit here that is online. First, just tell us, like why you guys felt compelled to write the book, and then how you feel that the book, How the book is intended to be received. Is it a project twenty twenty five? Is it a political answer? Is it all of the above? What is your guys's conception of it?
Speaker 10: It's a great question. I love this great a beginning.
Speaker 11: So we started writing this book two and a half years ago when we were motivated by and scandalized by exactly what you said, the crises of manufactured scarcity in the twenty first century. Why aren't there enough homes? Why isn't there enough clean energy? Why is governance often in blue cities and blue states so bad that it seems to be driving many people away? Why doesn't the Democratic Party have an invention agenda, given how central science and technology are to human progress. These are the questions that really animated the project. But I think it's really important to ground the fact that the book came out in March twenty twenty five, because you look back over the last six months of news.
Speaker 10: Why did Donald Trump just win the election?
Speaker 11: If you ask PW, if you ask Gallop, if you asked David Shore, and the twenty eight million people that he surveyed, the answer is all the same.
Speaker 10: It's affordability, affordability, affordability.
Speaker 11: People feel like there's an affordability crisis in this country, and the biggest part of anybody's budget is housing. So at this center of an affordability crisis is a housing affordability crisis. Donald Trump won because of an affordability crisis, and my feeling is he came into office and could have said, like I'm going to govern as a text in Republican, I'm going to make it as easy as possible for us to build homes. I'm going to do everything I can to drive down the cost of housing. But instead, one of the first things he does is to raise terror rifts on Mexico and Canada. That's a twenty five percent bump on the cost of lumber and drywall gypsum, which we get from Mexico.
Speaker 10: The lumber comes from Canada.
Speaker 11: This is a plan to treat scarcity of housing with yet more scarcity.
Speaker 10: So I really want to emphasize it.
Speaker 11: Agree to which we strongly believe that there is a totally different way to think about growing the supply of the most important things.
Speaker 10: In this country.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: So you have a lot of critics on the left. You also have some fans on the left, but you have a lot of critics on the left. I'm not a hater of abundance, but my own assessment is that it misses some things and maybe it's not meant to be a complete ideology, which is part of what I want you to respond to, because you know, the with housing in particular, I'm in favor of a more yimbi mindset of reducing these zoning regulations, et cetera. But we can put put this tear sheet up on the screen, guys, effort teach out and had I think a good response to the Abundance to your book and some of the ideas offered therein. And she says basically like, look, some of these things have been tried and it hasn't really solved the problem. She points to a study from the Urban Institute of Land Use reforms across eleven hundred plus cities from two thousand and twenty nineteen found they that those sorts of reforms increase the housing supply by only zero point eight percent within three to nine years of passage.
Speaker 3: So when I look at that.
Speaker 2: I think, Okay, well, what is missing from this picture. I think part of what is missing is this overall landscape of inequality, corporate consolidation, of power, money in politics. Because even when you strip away the regulations, guess what, the people who have money in this country are overwhelmingly the super rich. That's who companies want to cater to. You have massive consolidation within the industry of developers, so they're you know, giant monopolies at this point. And so even with the regulation stripped away, they're like, yeah, but I'm going to build luxury mansions because that's who has the money. I'm going to build luxury condos, so that's who has the money. So, you know, do you mean for this to be a sort of like complete theory of what what's going on? Or is it like, you know, this is one piece that we're looking at seriously so that if Democrats get back in power, we have these governance pieces kind of ready to go.
Speaker 11: It's such a good question, and there's so much there. I'm going to try to touch on as much of it as I can keep in my head. Yeah, trying to usher in a paradigm shift we think that liberalism of the last fifty years has become consumed by process and not consumed by outcomes. And that's how you get a world ware in San Francisco. If you want to build a new apartment building with public money, there are so many riders attached to that public money that in fact developers have essentially pulled out and said we don't want to build social housing at all.
Speaker 10: It's a worldware.
Speaker 11: In twenty twenty one, when there is a development that was being discussed to put up a five hundred units in a Nordstrom valet parking lot, one hundred of which would have been below market rent. In fact, the Board of Supervisors of San Francisco voted it down because it didn't.
Speaker 10: Pass sufficient environmental review.
Speaker 11: It's a thicket of laws and reviews and customs that have grown up in the last fifty years. Their environmental laws, their legal norms. Sometimes they're just a sense of empowered gentry, empowered homeowners who want to stop any new development that could possibly threaten their home values. This set of rules and customs of laws has I think accumulated over the last fifty years without a sufficient CounterPunch, we become so processed, obsessed that we haven't sort of cleared the brush and thought, wait, this is about building houses for people to live. You mentioned the fact that you know, we live in a time I think of concerning income and equality, absolutely and even incipient oligarchy. But I would frame it a little bit this way. Is oligarchy worse in Utah than in California. Is oligarchy worse in Texas than California. Is oligarchy worse in say, Georgia than Massachusetts. The problems of oligarchy are national, and yet we very clearly see that different cities and states have tremendously different outcomes when it comes to the ability to add housing.
Speaker 2: So I would say, I would say, actually, to respond to that directly, I actually do think the problem of oligarchy is worse in a place like or at least inequality is worse in a city like San Francisco, New York, Miami, places that are magnets not just domestically but globally for the richest of the rich. You know, you end up with this sort of superclass of people who can spend the millions of millions of dollars that it takes and then an underclass of people who are there to serve them who can't afford rent. So I actually this which gets to another one of my questions to you, and one of the critiques that I've seen of the book and the paradigm shift contained therein is that there's a couple of assumptions that are taken here. One is that the right way to organize our society is having these giant megalopolises, the San Francisco's, the las, the New York's of the world, where you know, it wasn't always the case. We used to have thriving manufacturing and other industry throughout the country, so people were.
Speaker 3: More widely spread out.
Speaker 2: Obviously, that helps with being able to afford housing because you just have a more dispersed population. That's number one. And then number two related to that is is the focus too much on these cities. So and this gets back to the question of whether this is a governing agenda, a political like electoral political agenda, or both, because obviously, you know, Democrats have slid a little bit in the cities, but they still perform really well in these giant cities. We don't really need Democrat the Democratic Party to do better in San Francisco. So is the project also a little too focused on these giant urban city centers and taking for granted that that's where the core of you know, American innovation and prosperity and just population density should really be.
Speaker 10: I love this question. There's so much here.
Speaker 11: Let me let me let me try to consolidate it into into an answer that matches everything you put on the table. Let's say the outcome that you cared about, because we believe in an outcome based liberalism, Let's say the outcome that you really cared about was income and equality. Well, of course you would want there to be a tax and span redistribution policy, right. You might want to expand the EITC. You might want to expand child tax credits, you might want to expand welfare.
Speaker 10: All of these are important.
Speaker 11: But if you're really interested in reducing inequality, I think you should be absolutely obsessed with urban housing policy. The Harvard economist Roschetty has pointed out that upward mobility in this country, when you build a map of it and see you know, who has the best chance of being born into a lower or working class and working their way into the upper middle class, it's in these cities. It's close to these cities. If we want to give more Americans a chance to move forward in their life, we should make it easier for people to live where they want to live, especially if those are some of the highest, most productive, most highly productive cities in the country. In fact, Crystal from much of the last century, this is how American migration worked. If you were working class, you would move closer to these cities, and it would benefit you because the housing costs wouldn't overwhelm the income benefits that you would move, that you would gain from moving to a high income place. But something is unwound very very much in the last fifty years, where it's the cheapest places in the country that have the lowest upward mobility, and it's the most expensive places in the country that have the highest upper mobility. And so in a way you can say it's like the American dream has been torn apart. People have to choose between affordable living and the chance of moving forward in their life. That's a terrible, terrible thing for any country that considers itself the land of free opportunity. We want to build a place where build a country where people can move to where they want to move, and people can stay where they want to stay. That's not the world we have in San Francisco and New York and Boston and Washington, d C. And Los Angeles, in Seattle, and some people don't want to live there, and that's totally fine. And our project is like not some grand design to force everybody to live in a skyscraper. People should live or they want to live. But part of freedom is being able to live near these cities if you want to stay there or work there. And that's where it's unbelievably urgent. I think for the liberals and the Democrats who hold so much power in these places, to use that power as an advertisement for our cause, to say, look what happens when you give us the reins and you give us all of the authority, we produce outcomes like affordability and upward mobility and low crime and fantastic living arrangements for people.
Speaker 10: Instead.
Speaker 11: Right now, what's happening is that many blue cities and blue states have turned into anti advertisements for the liberal movement. As we say in the book, I think this is Ezra's line. I have to say, you know, democrats should be able to say, vote for us, and we'll make America like California. And what's happened in the last few years is that Republicans have found advantage in saying vote for Democrats and the America like California. This is not the world we.
Speaker 10: Want to live in.
Speaker 11: And frankly, if these are the results that liberals are getting, they don't deserve to win at the national level. What we want to change is we want to change the meaning of the Democratic party, the valance of the Democratic parties, starting with effective governance where we whole power the most.
Speaker 1: Do you worry, Derek that this leads to a bit of a cultural imbalance, because part of what you know, make America more like Texas, or make America more like Georgia is not, you know, like you said, living in skyscrapers or even smaller. It's really about space and abundance. There also comes along with a cultural element of like you just can kind of do whatever you want to do without monolithic like beliefs being shoved in your face. So I think those two things do go hand in hand. Let's say, for the five hundred thousand people who left the California state of California for Texas and for Florida that obviously was very important to them. How do you think about that question whenever you're thinking about making California San Francisco great again as a template for why somebody in Milwaukee, Wisconsin would want to vote for you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's right. You know, no one's asked that question before. That's a really interesting question.
Speaker 11: So you know, you're talking about this idea of like cultural freedom, of people being able to live the way they want to live.
Speaker 10: I think that's fantastic.
Speaker 11: I consider myself essentially a social libertarian, even though those ideas aren't particularly present in the book. But when I think about like the most famous expressions of sort of laissez fair live how you want to live, sort of cultural libertarianism, I honestly think of cities interesting. I think of like New York in the nineteen sixties or San Francisco in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 10: I think of these places.
Speaker 11: Where all of these new ideas were bursting forth and colliding with each other, where people were having new concepts of poetry and music, and you know, different ideas about you know, living arrangements and romantic arrangements. You know, if what you're interested in is a world where people have this extraordinary freedom to explore their identity in a world where other people are exploring their identities. I think any honest look at American urban history from the last fifty seventy years shows it's cities that have been the cauldron of exactly this type of freedom. And of course, if people want to live in Georgia with their lawns and their single family houses, there's nothing in this book telling them that they're wrong to do. So what we're trying to say at a very basic level is there are some cities in this country, and at least in the house for the housing part, because the the book is capacious, but the housing part, there are some cities where the rules that we have created have made it impossible for market conditions to work. And while markets are not perfect, one thing they're very good at doing is matching supply and demand. And right now you have this enormous demand to live in places like Washington, D C. And New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, but you have constraints to supply, and in macroeconomics, one on one, the only thing that happens when demand goes like this and supply stays flat, is prices go to the moon. Prices are going the moon. And it's not just a problem for Los Angeles, it's a problem for Democrats nationwide. We just lost Democrats did an election that was all about affordability, and so being obsessed about the inputs to affordability, I think is essential to any liberal movement making the public feel like we care about them again.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the three major components, in my opinion, I think in your opinion too, of the affordable crisis affordability crisis are housing, education, and healthcare. These are you know, huge ticket items that are central to sort of like middle class prosperity and have been skyrocketing over years and years. And again when I look at what is causing the massive price escalations in each of those, I agree that the story you're telling is part of that story. But when I look at you know, like to take healthcare as an example, which probably the one of these that I've thought the most about the biggest problem in healthcare, and we can see it with how much more efficient Medicare is and how much you know, compared to private insurance. It's the profit motive, and so you know where is that in the story.
Speaker 3: Because some of the some of the.
Speaker 2: Suggestions you make about how to make healthcare more affordable. It sort of reminds me of back during the Obamacare debate when Republicans were like, we've got a healthcare plan too, you can sell plans across state lines and that'll fix everything. It's like, well, that might make things a little bit better, but really, the profit motive and the fact that you've got all these middlemen who are taking their cut, and you know, we're getting screwed on drug prices, and we're getting screwed in you know, every the pharmacy benefit managers, every single step of this process. That's really the core of the story here. So you know, I was listening to Ezra in one of his interviews and he was sort of chiding the progressives and the left for looking at models overseas and sal we want to be more like them. He's like, well, you should want to be better than them. Okay, fair enough, but it's also true that if we just were doing as well on healthcare as the rest of the developed world, we would be in a much much better place. And while I'm sure that you know you want to have more doctors be able to come in the country more H one b's for this, and you have additional reforms that you offer.
Speaker 3: I'm sure those things would help.
Speaker 2: But they would help in the way that sort of like Obamacare, I've made it a little better, but the problem is still at its core unresolved.
Speaker 11: The way I think about this again, I think there's there's a lot of use to being really clear about what outcomes you're looking for. So let's say, for the purpose of this conversation, because healthcare is a big, big topic, what we care about for American health care is it healthcare be universal, that it be affordable, not only for individuals, but frankly also for the state, because you don't want our deficits to reach like five trillion dollars a year in medicare. And also high quality and high quality is very very important. Because let's say America had universal health care in nineteen forty three, that'd be wonderful from an equity standpoint.
Speaker 10: You would have absolute universal coverage.
Speaker 11: But penicillin didn't exist in nineteen forty three, gop one drugs didn't exist.
Speaker 10: Practically, no modern cancer.
Speaker 11: Therapies existed, Liquid IV plastic bags didn't exist. Oximeters didn't exist, cat scans didn't exist, MRIs didn't exist. A part of our book is about the centrality of science and technology to progressive ends, because what makes a healthcare card valuable isn't just the paper itself or the fact that you have access to a doctor. It's the services but the doctor can provide you as a patient, and enlarging the value of those services, I think is a huge part of what progressive should focus on if they care about healthcare, such as the first point, the second point is that if you ultimately care about managing prices, you're right that there is a lot that we can do outside the scope of just science and tech policy. I mean, I did a podcast on Plan English about the fact that if I was, for whatever reason, this is a DOGE, one of the first things I would do is dive directly into Medicare advantage, because it is so clear that the Medicare advantage program, which allows seniors to use private insurers, is bilking the federal government of not just a few million dollars here and there, like a lot of the DOGE savings are, but maybe tens of billions.
Speaker 10: Of dollars a year over one hundred billion dollars a year.
Speaker 11: If what you care about again is equity and affordability, we should be obsessed with Medicare advantage. The other point I would absolutely grant you is that while I don't consider an I trust anti monopoly policy to be utterly central to and pore to my vision of progress in America, there is no debating the fact that in many healthcare industries like dialysis and healthcare consolidation, we have very clear evidence that economists have made quite plain that consolidation in these industries and market concentration is driving up costs for patients and driving quality down. So this is a place where, when it comes to process, comes the tools of my disposal. I don't feel particularly jealous about any one set of tools that is more popular in the left or the center the right. What I'm focused on, and one thing I think this book is trying very hard to get people to see is outcomes. If you want healthcare that is equitable and affordable and high quality, there are different levers you can pull in different ways, and it's not as if there's going to be one policy that fixes all these things at once.
Speaker 2: Another question I had for you, Derek, we can put G three up on the screen. This was I thought an important sort of like contextual critique, given that it is coming out in March of twenty twenty five and we are watching the doge onslaught like destroying key functions of the government, etc.
Speaker 3: This was from someone who.
Speaker 2: Gave a pretty favorable review actually to the book in Democracy Journal, and he said, listen, it's too early, but Doge onslot because it is a unique challenge on both sides, saying you can do efficiency, but right concedes the thing we shouldn't that Doge is something other than billionaire and academy vendor plundering and dismantling the government. Indeed, I say in the piece, but worth emphasizing. As Doge takes place, the idea that quote unquote good governance is some democratic protection here against right wing forces feels pretty flat. The CFPB was designed very well, that didn't matter, And you know what he's gesturing towards there is the fact that okay, but then when you have the richest man on the planet come in and say, yeah, but I don't like this, all of the planning and the good governance in the fact that the CFPP.
Speaker 3: Actually delivered for people.
Speaker 2: It ends up not really mattering if you don't tackle that core problem of the way that money has captured our politics and the way that you know, billionaire and corporate interests are far more represented by our political parties than the interests of the people that you're you know that you want to serve and that you want to make life better for And I do too.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I love Mike. Mike is an absolute genius.
Speaker 11: I do not agree with the sentiment expressed in those tweets read with so much of his review. I just don't agree with the sentiment expressed in those tweets saying that government should do efficiency but right does not in any way grant elon Musk any kind of credit at all. It is very easy to put.
Speaker 10: Two things on the table.
Speaker 11: Number one that DOGE is an absolute disaster, and number two that as an entirely separate matter, government should be obsessed with efficiency. So Doge's disaster, Yes, I mean. They try to reform the Department of Energy to be more about nuclear security and accidentally gut it the only administration within DOE that has the words nuclear security in the title. They tried to reform the FDA and fired some of their most talented probationary employees. I think DOGE is a mess. Period closed the door there. Let's talk about government efficiency for a second. The Biden administration and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill allocated and authorized forty two billion dollars for rural broadband.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 11: Biden and Boodhajech called this bill the most important and for structure bill passed in something like forty fifty sixty years. But what happened with world broadband? They authorized forty two billion dollars to extend internet coverage for America's most underserved communities, and now four calendar years after that bill was passed, practically nobody has been hooked up to the service. And it's in part because the government created a fourteen step process for fifty six different states and localities to fill out, and it was so cumbersome and so impossible and so damn annoying that today only three of the fifty six have actually gotten all the way through the process. And now Trump's going to come in and got the entire program and just hand the whole thing to Starlink. That's not government working well, that's government associating success with how much money you can tell people you've authorized or spent with, rather than associating success with how much you actually build. Right That's the world we talk about over and over again in this book. It's a world where California authorizes thirty three billion dollars to build a high speed rail system in California that does not exist.
Speaker 10: It's a world where the Chicago.
Speaker 11: Mayor Brandon Johnson bragged on Twitter two weeks ago that he spent eleven billion dollars building ten thousand affordable housing units in Chicago. That's one point one million dollars per affordable housing unit in the Midwest. That's pathetic. That is government at its most inefficient. That's government as an ineffective disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't need right.
Speaker 2: Now, don't I don't story. Yeah, I got Okay, Well, I was just going to say what. I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just saying that, Like with the CFPB example, I think it's a really good one because Democrats, you know, Elizabeth Warren was sort of the ideological architect. Democrats built ount this new agency. Like yes, it's not a training or a railroad, but it's the real thing that had to be built from scratch and they did a great job, but it didn't matter because Elon Musk could spend a quarter of a billion dollars in a presidential election and come in and destroy it. So that's what I'm saying is just I feel like that piece is missing and it's important, and so if it's going to be a complete, you know, paradigm shift and a sort of like guidebook for how Democrats should approach both politics and governance going forward, I just feel I just personally looking at the data, that part feel so central to me that it's notable that it's that it's not there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I want to make sure that I understand what what piece you don't think is there, because when I look at this situation, the reason that Elon Musk is destroying CFPB is not that people in the center left are giving Elon Musk too much credit. He's destroying CFPB because Donald Trump won the election and he doesn't give a damn about CFPV.
Speaker 10: That's what's happening.
Speaker 11: We're having an ideological purge to the federal government because Donald Trump has won an election and the government is now a centralized expression of his personality. And his personality is I don't want to see anybody around me who disagrees with me, and I want to destroy every semblance of my predecessor's record. So CFPB is in existential danger right now as I see it. For one overarching reason, Donald Trump won. So then you get to the next step of the analysis. Why did Donald Trump win? And if you ask voters why did Donald Trump win your vote? Why did you switch from Biden to Trump between twenty twenty and twenty twenty four, over and over again, you get the exact same answer. It's affordability. Affordability, affordability. And in many cases, I think this issue of affordability is intimately intertwined with the issue of effectiveness of liberal governance in the places that we have the most power. So when I look at saving administrations like CFPB from the wrath of Elon Musk, what I become obsessed with is how do we take a liberal movement, a Democratic party that right now is scratching and clawing for the forty eight percent and trying to broaden this movement to in not just the forty eight point one percent but a fifty two, fifty three to fifty four percent coalition in this country. It means, I think, enlargening what people think of when they think of liberalism in America. I want them to think of growth. I want them to think of affordability. I want them to think of an absolutely maniacal obsession about how to improve government to make your life better.
Speaker 10: And finally, I think.
Speaker 11: That that paradigm shift is the sort of thing that allows Democrats to hold power at the federal level so that mad men like Musk don't come in and burn the whole thing down.
Speaker 3: So I would add to that.
Speaker 2: You know, part of how Donald Trump is able to win that election is that he's able to raise a quarter of a billion dollars and once at one, you know, stop shop from the richest man on the planet. And the fact that you have both the vast inequality and the system of money and politics that we do helps to enable that. Not to mention the level of control that people like Elon have. I mean, he's you know, beyond anything we've seen before, but we certainly had billionaire influence in government before. Is port important part of why government fails to deliver, whether it's Democrats or Republicans when they're in power.
Speaker 3: But you know and related to them.
Speaker 2: This is my last question for you, Derek, and I appreciate you being a good sport as I you know, ask my questions here. But you know, when I think about the core story of why Democrats lost and why Donald Trump was able to win, I think the story you tell, I think that's absolutely part of it. But I think a central issue was that Donald Trump had a very clear story, a very clear narrative with eros and villains of what went wrong in this country. Right, Immigrants and trans people and cultural elite. They're screwing you over, They're destroying your way of life. Immigrants are the reason why things are not affordable, and I'm going to fix it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So very clear cut. It's wrong in my opinion. Zer can disagree with me and has before, but it's wrong.
Speaker 2: But you know, it made sense to people, and it was clear cut. Democrats don't have a similar sort of hero villain narrative that makes sense to people.
Speaker 3: Bernie Sanders does.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think it's one of the reasons why people are flocking it as town halls. Why people are going to Republican town halls and shanning at them, tax the rich, why he continues to be one of the most popular politicians in the country because he has a very clear cut narrative of what went wrong and who the villains are. So, you know, my last question for you, just to summarize your philosophy here in the paradigm shift you're trying to achieve, Like, who are the villains in your story? Are the villains the like liberal do gooders who mistakenly put.
Speaker 3: In all the regulations?
Speaker 2: Like is that who you're pointing at the finger at as the ones that we need to sort of like chide and check and get in line. And if not, how is that really that If that is the sort of you know, villain of your story, how is that that different from the Republican narrative and frame, which would also point the finger at the left and say these people are the reason that things are bad in the country.
Speaker 11: I think this might be the easiest question you've asked so far, But I'm worried that my thinking that might mean I'm on the wrong track. The villain is easy. Look at Donald Trump, look at Elon Musk. Look what these people are doing to our country and to our government. The liberal enemy is the easiest thing to define here at the national level, and it's very easy to find, specifically in the language of abundance. Donald Trump does not believe in the concept of a positive some outcome. He doesn't believe cooperation is possible at all. He thinks any cooperation that he sees oversees like the mere existence of the EU, is an insult to America. He doesn't think trade, which is the definition of a positive some outcome, can possibly lead to mutually good outcomes for both sides. Every single time Donald Trump identifies some problem with America, he identifies something he wants to take away from America. He says, America doesn't have enough housing, so we need to take away the immigrants. We don't have enough manufacturing, so we have to take away the trade, or we don't do enough good science. What we need to do is reduce the amount of scientific funding. This is a scarcely mindset across the board, and in juxtaposition to that, I think an abundance mindset and an abundance book and an abundance message rings very very clearly with this sort of hero, clear cut hero villain dynamic that you're drawing right, And the distinction could not be more crystalline. But to your point, I don't want to hide the ball here. This book and our critique absolutely forces liberals to take a look in the mirror. And it does so not because we want to give aid to Republicans or because we want to sell books by looking like we're apost states from within the liberal movement. We just fundamentally believe that it is the sins of modern liberalism and the problems of modern progressivism that got us to this point, that allowed someone like Donald Trump, who's frankly not a popular political figure, to nonetheless dominate the political scene over the last decade. Where is an opposition movement that is popular and effective, we have instead as an opposition movement the Democratic Party that is historically unpopular, pulling a twenty nine percent in the last n N rating, and ineffective in the places we hold the most power. So when we do this friendly fire critique, it's not in any way designed to allow us to cozy up to the center right or the right to get them to bring us on their podcast or something. We're trying to win and to develop winning strategies. Sometimes you just have to look very clearly in the mirror to ask Why do we keep losing not just arguments, but people. People are leaving California, They're leaving New York, they're leaving Minnesota, they're leaving Oregon, they're leaving Illinois. How are we losing people and elections at the same time. You can't answer that question, honestly unless you're willing to tell heart truths best your own side. So we are trying to tell heart shruths about our own side. But it is in service to a broader message at is stopping a political revolution on the right that we think absolutely hurts America by putting scarcity over abundance.
Speaker 1: Derek, really appreciate your analysis. As always, everybody go buy the book. We'll have a link down in the description and I'm excited to finish reading it. So thank you very much, sir. We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Derek. It's great to see you.
Speaker 10: Thanks for both of you. Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, we will see you all later, but quick programming up.
Speaker 2: Yes, my kids spring break, so I'll be on next week.
Speaker 3: Ryan will be in for me.
Speaker 2: I know you guys will be excited about the bro shows that. See you back the week after that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, all right, we will see you all later.