Speaker 1: What do you call two guys that were there when this happened?
Speaker 2: Back to return at Spurlock. Michael Spurlock of the chim He's to the twenty. He's of the twenty five. P thirty come the forty yard life, we could see history.
Speaker 3: Fifty forty, come a thirty yard right. Michael run, Michael run, Michael run.
Speaker 1: Touchdown, Tampa Bay. There you go, and.
Speaker 2: That shot gunsence we receivers left. Here's the Stampa. The glitcher has picked up Brady Unity.
Speaker 1: Caught ball EPs.
Speaker 3: He has the record at the eleven yard line.
Speaker 2: Mike Evans becomes the first NFL player in LEA history to record a thousand yards of more in this first seven seasons, and want to throw by Brady. Congratulations Mike Evans, who can forget again? I'm looking Gains up the head the other side.
Speaker 1: Bucks thirty touchdown, Tampa Bay. Derek Books the.
Speaker 2: Most pariele player.
Speaker 1: In the National Football League.
Speaker 2: There it is Dot Daggers in where are you gonna win the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Here's the snap.
Speaker 3: Mahomes running to his right. Lookout he may run my home director. Oh so now battle picked up of the box.
Speaker 1: I gotta beat the chief We're the champions.
Speaker 3: Of the world that we still have. I'm minute thirty three to go.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 2: White bought a great second season.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: We're Casey Fox. All the Super Bowl champs. They can't stop the clock.
Speaker 1: We call them the Salty Dogs. Welcome everybody to the Salty Dogs Podcast, our second one. Yeah, preseason stuff, preseason. I'm Scott Smith, I'm Jeff Ryan, and we are the Salty Dogs. Yes we are.
Speaker 3: And had we not been in New Jersey and things shifting around, we would have done one up there, but it just got too crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there was reasons to be salty up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think I was on a bus more than I really wanted to. I'm just saying, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Funny because the change of plans and we the Giants were gracious enough to let us do our second practice because we were going to do it on a high school field nearby. Their facility like ours is really nice and it was nice to them. Let's come out and use it. But it was a long bus ride, yes, longer than it would have been.
Speaker 3: Yes, So it's a bit of a giving you know. You know, it's a long bus ride when you can see Manhattan from the.
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 3: It was a good week up there.
Speaker 1: You enjoy your week up there. I didn't do anything really. I spent when I wasn't working, I was in my hotel room time, read a book. This is really good. Podcasting like this is really exciting for people, but.
Speaker 3: You have to understand it when you're on the road and you're facing another I watched a Little League World Series. I did that also, I read a book.
Speaker 1: I was rooting for Tennessee because of the Southeast, for the Southeast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I was very fortunate. I actually I actually had a fun Friday afternoon. I got to go play golf and had a real nice dinner. So, you know, through it all, it was great. Yes, it was very good. But I did like I did like the the practice with the Jets. I thought that was a lot of fun. I think the Jet fans are so into it right now. I just hope they're not disappointed.
Speaker 1: Boy, I'll tell you what. They are excited. They love obviously, the love Aaron Rodgers. They love themselves, some Garrett Willes. Oh yeah, I mean they anytime Garrett Wilson did anything, the crowd went crazy.
Speaker 3: And I loved the chance they were doing there there they were all in.
Speaker 1: It was it was a good and useful practice. Unfortunately it had one bad moment. One of the two big pieces of news. Obviously the quarterback is the other thing that's sure about. But before that happened, Russell Gage non contact, didn't contact injury actually actually, according to Mike Evans, made a really nice catch on them play but just went down. Found out later it was a torn Peteller tendon. So his season is over and that is he is. You know, this was not an injury prone player we signed him. I think he missed four games in four years in Atlanta. Yep, he just had terrible lucks. Horrible. I mean, this is the worst one. Of course, maybe the maybe the neck injury in the concussion in the playoffs was scarier, But this is the one that's having the most impact because he's missing the whole season. Yeah, such a shame.
Speaker 3: It really and and he really uh he had talked to us at training camp talking about how this was his year to reinvent himself, to be all in and then that happens.
Speaker 1: What I wonder about and obviously the worst of it here is is for Russell so everything else is less important. But what I wonder about is the domino effect here of not having him because Russell didn't start. He wasn't practicing when training kept started because he was overcoming a hamstring injury. But once he got back going full speed and was doing team drills, he was definitely the third receiver with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin that they would come in together most of the time as a package, and often Russell Gage was in the slot. And now we've heard a lot since this new co offensive coaching staff got here that Chris Godwin, who's a beast in the slot, it's still going to play in the slot, but not as much because they want to do stuff with him on the outside. Sure where they think there's untapped potential or it's been tapped before, but not in recent years. So if Russell Gage was supposed to be the guy that's taken those slot snaps, who's going to be now? Is it possible they change their plans with Chris I that's I'm talking about a donal here. They this might force them to play Chris Godwin more in the slot. I'm kind of hoping not. Obviously, the receiver that stepped up the most amongst all the other candidates that you would think might get more playing time with Russell Gage Odds. Trey Palmer, I'm not sure he's a slot guy though, I think he's more of an outside take the top off the defense kind of go correct. Actually, there's a really good article. This is one of two times I'm gonna plug our colleague Brianna Dix. But on buccaneers dot Com there's a nice article with a lot of quotes from Brad Idzach, the wide receivers coach, on Trey Palmer, and I would I would suggest you read it. It's great. It's funny because Brad says he's the entertainer in the room. He's the guy that's joking they laugh. But he's also a really good student, like he's just he's really good at absorbing the playbook. And so Brad was also talking about how obviously speed is his best asset and he can win deep.
Speaker 3: I like what he said today after practice that when he sees the ball, that's always looking at is the ball doesn't care who's defending him.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. He have this his little phrase, his motto is like no name, no face. Yeah, it means he doesn't he doesn't even think about his covering, right, so, which I think first came about when he got past Sauce Gardner, who might be the best corner in the NFL in that Jets game. Now we're not here ripping on sast Gardens, a phenomenal player. They were in cover zero on that play. He had no safety help and and and trasers really fast, so bad play worked out well. But Brad Isaac was saying that what he's working with him on is making his first five or six steps of every route look the same. So because then you can do well. The first thing a cornerback has to worry about, which tray is him running right past it? Sure, so if you always look the same in your first five or six steps, they're always going to be worried about getting beat deep and they're gonna be on their heels. If you're giving away with some of your movements that this isn't going to be a deep rod, it's gonna be a slant sh I'm sure, then they're more prepared to jump on that. So if he can make those first five or six steps look the same, his is actually useful even on like short routes. That's that's because it gets them on their heels and then you can run like a you know.
Speaker 3: Like a square in or some Yeah, that's a great tidbit, yea to be looking at that.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think that's the case for a lot of receivers. Sure, you don't want to give away all your intentions, because that's your advantage over the defender, is that you know where you're going and they don't. Right right there you go, unless it's an option route, which says you don't necessarily know where you're going until the last second. But I was I find options.
Speaker 3: So you corrected yourself right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying option ruts, you know what I mean. Like, Yeah, they get to the line and they release, and depending upon where the defender is, they might go in or out. Sure, And I've always found that fascinating because if you're if you're using option routes, which I think we are going to use in this defense because they did in the offense, because they did in Seattle and I saw him practicing them the other day. You and the quarterback have to make the same decision. You have to read it the same thing. Because that that guy is gonna break in and you're gonna throw and if he breaks out, you might be thrown it right to his safety. So I find them fascinating. I'm surprised that it seems so risky to me, and I know coaches are risk adverse.
Speaker 3: It's called it's called being on the same page, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I don't think is necessarily.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. No, I'm looking forward. So I don't know who I was talking to.
Speaker 1: Yesterday that it was a long time ago. Yeah. Well, they were just basically saying, well that the offense very memorable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really because they were saying the offense looked really vanilla and blah blah blah. Of course it is, and I'm like, it's perfectly so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was like, there's a reason for that. They'll say it before the game, unt say it's going to be a vanilla game.
Speaker 3: Play is the most basic plays there.
Speaker 1: Are as a very good example for this. It was something I wanted to touch on. I know that our running game doesn't look any better right now, but and hopefully will be. There's no guarantee there will be. It was the worse in the league, so I can't really go any worse last year, but don't judge it on what you've seen in the preseason. I don't think they're even running the basic plays we're gonna I haven't seen anything that look to me like mid zone or wide zone. It just looked like trap plays and duo.
Speaker 3: You know who I did like watching was Tucker did Yeah, I did like watching him.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, he's had some good runs. He obviously had that one he bounced to the outside and maybe that was his own play. I don't know, but a lot of them haven't been what I think is going to be the staple of our offense because there's no reason to put it on tape right now. They can practice it in practice. So I I'm not here to tell you I know that our running game is gonna be good. I think it can't hardly help would be better, But just telling you not to judge about what you've seen in these games. Maybe maybe we'll see a little bit in the third game when the starters played the first half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little, but not I don't think a lot, simply because you're ten days to Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Anyway. To get back to the point I had started with was with h Russell, gage out who's taking the snaps in the slot. Maybe Trey Palmer is a guy that can play in the slot. I don't really know. He doesn't seem like he's that type of receiver. Is it Trade? Is it Devin Tompkins? Is it David Moore? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, was See that's interesting because David Moore is as a.
Speaker 1: Veteran, the only one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the other two are young ones.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody else is either first second player.
Speaker 3: And so you know, it's horrible to say, but it's always next man up, and you know, what something happens, you have to be ready. So it'll be fun to see who I just does step up.
Speaker 1: I wish I had a good feel for who will be getting snaps in the slot, and I really honestly don't know. I don't know who it is.
Speaker 3: That's something we're going to watch then on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Keep an eye on it, Okay, I'm gonna make it specifically. Yeah, tell Dave because Dave always Dave more. Yeah, tell Dave to look for that and then let me know because he's good at just instantly.
Speaker 3: See who's doing in the slot. Yeah, Okay, I mean I can you can you can also tell him when you see him when you come into your segment. But okay, I'll talk to him.
Speaker 1: So I what are we How many minutes are we into this podcast?
Speaker 3: Ten?
Speaker 1: And we have not? Well? First of two things, okay, I only have one fan question for our final segments to be brief, and I think it's partially because I keep forgetting to say at the top correct send us questions. Yeah, we love your questions. Well, we usually answer all of them. Are close to all then sure, send it to Salty Dogs at Buccaneers dot NFL dot com. We love to hear from you. We love that's the third Segment's awesome where we answer these questions.
Speaker 3: That's my that's my favorite sec.
Speaker 1: Is it other than to the interview?
Speaker 3: Yeah, other than talking to the interview. And my least favorite one.
Speaker 1: Is this part, Yes, talking to me? So we also are going to have d Delaney on yes, who I'm going to surprise him. I have thought of a nickname for him. Don't you say anything, I'm not. I'm not. I think it's good man.
Speaker 3: If it's coming from that, I.
Speaker 1: Think you could get a tattoo of it.
Speaker 3: You are a wordsmith, so it should be interesting.
Speaker 1: So and then finally, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to say something about make sure you send your questions in because if you don't, they're going to take that email address away from us because they're cleaning up all the emails that aren't being used.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's it's getting some Yeah, I mean I still get spams sometimes.
Speaker 3: Oh great, perfect, Maybe we could talk to them.
Speaker 1: So well, I also got an email. I'm not going to read it because it wasn't really a question, but do you remember we've had a question from a guy, a Bucks fan in Australia, Yes, who was in radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a he's a presenter.
Speaker 1: His name's Elliott Lovejoy and he's just he reached out because he's going to be in Tampa at the end of the season. Really he's going to get to see two games and just thought maybe he could come and check out the facility. I think we could probably work that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So finally we're like what fifteen minutes into this podcast. Yeah, we have not yet spoken about the fact that the Buccaneers have named a starting quarterback dead day.
Speaker 3: When did this happen?
Speaker 1: I this was what this was a fun professional moment for me. Right, because you were ready that. I was the first person who tured out because I had a feeling I had some inside intel that coach Bowls after practice yesterday was going to go to the podium and and now that Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 3: Was the starting what time would that happen? Because he knew he was going to get the inevitable question of well, cry your name a starter. It's getting awful close to well.
Speaker 1: The funny thing was the way that he didn't. I thought he might just start the press converence by saying, before I take any questions, yes, no, no, So I think it was the second question, and it was worded understandably. It was worded like, I know you're not close to naming a starter.
Speaker 3: Yet, but is it neck and neck?
Speaker 1: Baker one. I had the the tweet with attached story yes, lined up, ready to go. So as soon as you said it, I put, I mean, I guess it's an X not a tweet. Yeah, I pushed go, So I know I was first.
Speaker 3: I had X open and I was waiting to see who would go first.
Speaker 1: I don't get the break news, and you did.
Speaker 3: You popped it. You were at least a minute ahead of everybody else. Yeah, that's because they all had and then the national guys they're they're like, there are a few, yeah, yeah, they're like four and five minutes behind.
Speaker 1: So Baker Mayfield, now I know that there are a lot I've already I've already heard it personally. I've heard it from several people that are out there saying, well, duh, of course, Baker, we all knew all along.
Speaker 3: That's not true.
Speaker 1: That is not how it played about.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: It was Kyle. Kyle did a nice job, and it was a real competition.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. And and I think it's it's easy to say, oh, you're it was Baker. You could you could bank on that, you could.
Speaker 1: Say, because he's the one with experienced.
Speaker 3: Correct and that's what everybody was thinking about. But they did not go in with that with.
Speaker 1: Well, no, they could think that would be a bad way to go about it, right, Although Baker did say I expected to start, which is of course the attitude that you.
Speaker 3: Have if he said, yeah, boy, I'm really lucky I got I can't not the guy I wanted there coming in.
Speaker 1: I know we don't have a confidence issue. That's been and so that is the I wonder if it's harder because if Kyle had not performed well in the preseason and in training camp and then he was told Baker got the job, I mean maybe that would have been how it would that make it easier to take. But Kyle did do well.
Speaker 3: He did well, and I think I think Todd said it best. He has a good relationship with Kyle and they very open, very honest relationship. So he seems like a smart kid. And he also has been doubted from high school on, so he's he'll be ready if something. You know, Listen, you gotta have luck to make it through the whole season. That's for any player on any team.
Speaker 1: Although Tom Brady just did three times in a row.
Speaker 3: What yes, Uh, but he wasn't taking any hits.
Speaker 1: I think it's it might have been maybe I don't know if for me, maybe it'd be a little bit harder to take when I performed well but didn't get the job. But from the Bucks point of view, Uh, it's it's kind of great because I don't think that we really knew for sure going into this offseason whether Kyle Trask had a future as an NFL starting quarterback, And I feel closer to feeling that way.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I totally agree with you. I think I thought he looked really good against the Jets. He moved around. Well, he's maybe not quite as mobile as Baker, but he's.
Speaker 3: He got a lot of props from me when uh, he does the first half and then John gets hurt and he finds his helmet and goes in and plays the rest of the game, and and wasn't you know it's so rare.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like taking a picture out and then pop back in. Yeah happens.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're you're It's like you said, it took him a few snaps to get back into the rhythm of the game.
Speaker 1: The thing about that whole sequence is that I think everybody kind of got a little bit of inkling at that point. Yeah, that a decision, if not totally made, was close to being made because not playing Baker told a lot of us Okay, that probably means he's going to be the starter. Yeah, they've already you know, they're already at least close to making that decision. The other thing about that is we have I've seen John Wolford walking around in the building that I don't want to say anything on his behalf of how it feels. But he looks pretty good.
Speaker 3: The good the good news was he was able to fly home with the team.
Speaker 1: He did. Yeah, that's huge. I think that. I think coach Bowl said yesterday that he had a history of stingers. You know a stinger is, and so he you know, they were obviously keeping an eye on that and those I think those hurt a lot. Stingers, Yeah, but they aren't usually long term injuries. I would be surprised if John played.
Speaker 3: I think is like a NERD's it's it's it caught a nerve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's usually around on your shoulder area, but it can affect you all down, like your arm in your back. So I don't think it feels very good. No, but they are I think they are usually not long lasting injuries. So while I don't expect him to play in this third preseason game, he still should be fine. Should the Bucks choose to keep three quarterbacks, which I think they're going to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know the other quarterbacks. Rave about how how good he is in that quarterback room, how like he really has a great grasp and he also processes really quickly.
Speaker 3: I liked what Baker said that there's no cannibalism in the quarterback.
Speaker 1: He did like that.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I don't know that one was a little no.
Speaker 3: Because well it's it's.
Speaker 1: You could say the same thing without using the.
Speaker 3: Word okay, it's not dog eat dog. Okay, you know, but I like, I liked what he said at the point.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's like you don't want to tear each other down in that room because the room needs to be strong as a whole.
Speaker 3: Right, So, you know, to make myself feel better, I'm going to eat you. I mean, I don't know, I'm going to consume your flesh. But no, I did like that. I'm probably the only one who did. But I thought it was funny. Some people were like, I don't understand what that means.
Speaker 1: And it's like I actually missed it. I was in the press conference, and I must have been must have been tweeting something else because I miss it. Then something, you hear that cannibal quote, and then I read the transcript and I understood what he meant.
Speaker 3: I almost laughed out loud.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 3: So I think he's going to be I I you know, I like his personality, you know, people forget you know, they kind of dogged him from last year. Everybody goes, wow, he's on his fourth team. You know. Sometimes it's it's a dramatic way to put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had four solid years in Cleveland, correct, and then last year was unusual and.
Speaker 3: Look how well Carolina was Like that wasn't a mess?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know that was ah right. So the Deshaun Watson trade obviously forced him out of Cleveland, and then last year was sort of a nomadic year for him, which is understandable given the situation. But now he's getting another opportunity to maybe settle in somewhere.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it. You know, once he won the Heisman in seventeen, so this is six years ago. He certainly has matured. I think that that's that's the other side of the coin. You get bounced around a little bit, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he said several times he's in a good place. Yeah, like he he like a lot of players, he still has. Yeah that he's still driven a little bit by always having to work so hard for these starting I mean this is the second year in a row row that he's had to win a preseason quarterback competition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a reason why he's winning.
Speaker 1: But he also feels good. He's like, feels good about where he is and who he is at this point. It's not I don't think he's fully driven by vitriol over the stuff.
Speaker 3: In fairness to Baker, I curious has he been on a better team than he is right now? With the offensive weapons this team, it's.
Speaker 1: A good question. He was obviously had a very good year with Cleveland in twenty twenty, took him to the playoffs. Let's take a look at who their offensive weapons was.
Speaker 3: That when Odell was there. I don't think so, and then that kind of went south.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's likely that he has had a better starting duo of receivers than Mike Evans and Chris Gowin. Now, if you expanded to running backs tight ends, then it might get a little trickier because the Bucks running backs are very very young. I mean tight ends are very young, so are in the running backs. And you know Cleveland had Nick Chubb, so right, they had very so let's let's look at this real quick. In twenty twenty, the Browns had as pass catchers. Come on, stakes, I don't have a mouse. Oh Odell Beckham was on that team. Okay, so was Jarvis Landry. So he had their leading receiver in twenty twenty when he had a really good year, like twenty six touchdown passes an eight interceptions, something like that. They went eleven and five. They kicked the crap out of Pittsburgh, which everybody in Cleveland loved in the playoffs and they lost by five points to the to the Chiefs, who would end up going to the Super Bowl and losing to the Buccaneers. Oh wow, his starting court, his his by far top pass catcher was Jarvis Landry, who had seventy two catches. Jarvis Landry is a very good receiver. Going to say, but he's a possession guy. Correct, He's not. He's not, doesn't got less speed. He's like, yeah, Michael Thomas kind of sure, but not as got to have him. But yeah, he's not. Mike Evans. I was about to say, he had Odell Beckham for seven games and he cut twenty three passes, right, which isn't a lot. Yeah, Like I said, they had cream hunting nick chubs that they had around the game game. Yeah. The tight end was Austin Hooper, who they'd gotten after he had a sort of a breakout year in Atlanta, but he only had like forty six catches. He hasn't done much since the big year. We had done event People's Jones, but he was just getting started, only had fourteen catches.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I've you know, I'm curious to see how it goes. But my interaction with Baker has been really really here. He's really very positive. It's not what I thought it would be.
Speaker 1: Really yeah.
Speaker 3: I well, because you always think, wow, this guy is kind.
Speaker 1: Of I don't know, I it seems dumb maybe to judge on this, but I watched all those progressive commercials where he lived in the stadium and just thought, well, this is a sharp guy.
Speaker 3: When we had him on here, he was talking about how much fun that was, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they were They're just he just seemed kind of clever in those videos. I had no question. So I kind of had a good feeling about him coming in. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking forward to to it. But you know, it's like anything else, you don't know until you get into the wins and losses, and that's you know, and I think he feels it that, not that he has to carry the team, but he's got two things to prove, you know. One he wants to prove that he is a starting quarterback, and two he wants to win. So that's not that not that you go win games not wanting to.
Speaker 1: But you know what's amazing is that when he had his press conference yesterday, I don't think there was a single Tom Brady question.
Speaker 3: No, finally, what's it like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, replacing tom Brady? Following tom Brady? You know someone's going to ask that soon.
Speaker 3: But why they will though, But it's a different team.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make Yeah, it's not like somebody has to be the next quarterback after tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Did they ask that question in New England over and over again, like, hey, you're replacing tom Brady? Probably did they.
Speaker 1: I assume that's was it you somebody yesterday or the forced yesterday?
Speaker 3: You can't remember.
Speaker 1: I deserve that. He's like, you don't want to be the guy that replay is the guy? Yeah that was you and guy that replaces that guy.
Speaker 3: I said, yeah, you don't want to be You don't want to be the guy that replaces a legend. You want to be the guy that replaced it.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's like the perfect situation is Derek Carr in New Orleans because he didn't replace Drew Brees. They tried a few things, Yeah, didn't work out right, No, and now he's the guy who replaces Andy.
Speaker 3: No matter how good you are, you're you're still being compared to the legend.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that the lucky guy.
Speaker 3: I don't remember it was me.
Speaker 1: I thought it was you, the lucky guy in New England. Then maybe like Bailey Zappi or whoever follows mac Jones. His name is Bailey Zappi.
Speaker 3: I love that name.
Speaker 1: The New England fans went crazy for him last year because ez I love it. They weren't going well for h mac Jones, probably because they had a defensive coach calling the offensive place that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 3: Who knew that wouldn't work.
Speaker 1: Now they got by Bill O'Brien back, so at least they have a guy who's called plays on Baker Mayfield. Again, he looked he didn't play in the second game, nop. He looks sharp on four drives. Really it's three drives because the first drive he handed off three times and then we got stuffed on third and short, so and three drives he was eight of nine something like seventy yards that nice touchdown, no plays, no interceptions or anything that was close to being intercepted, moved around. Well, but you can you can look at those numbers and be properly impressed and you're not wrong. But we again have not seen the offense yet.
Speaker 3: No, and I'm very excited about I mean as excited as you can get about a preseason game. I'm very excited about the first half of this preseason.
Speaker 1: Game, except again, what are they gonna run?
Speaker 3: Well, I know, but if the Ravens have their first stringers in and we have ours in, no matter what you're doing, you can see whether you're being manhandled or you know which which way. So those are That's something I'm.
Speaker 1: Looking Defensive, the defense is usually win the example, they have the advanta there because the offense is not showing their best place. But I've already mentioned her once, our my fellow writer here on buccaneers dot Com, Brianna Dix. She's finishing it up, so by the time you were hearing this, it's probably on buccaneers dot Com. She got with Dad Lewis, talk to him a little bit today about Baker. Dad Lewis is the new quarterbacks coach. He was he was a quarterback in the NFL. Daddius Lewis, he was a quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I think he played for Cleveland and he's very, very bright. He's going to be a head coach one day.
Speaker 1: So he was our assistant wide receivers coach the last two years. But when they shook up the offensive staff, they most of it was new guys, but he brought in new guys like Brad Idach we mentioned before, But he got promoted to quarterbacks coach and I think they're very happy with him. But anyway, he was giving her some background on Baker, so read that, but also she did a little bit of a deep dive Brianna did and found some stats from his good year twenty twenty, his best year, Baker's best year. One thing that he did Oklahoma and then Kevin Stevanski, the new head coach they are brought in from Minnesota. Vikings was more rollout like bootleg plays, and generally coaches don't have right handed quarterbacks bootleg to the left. So what you'll do is you'll fake a hand off to the left and then turn and roll right. They Stevanskian and their staff found a way to make bootlegs to the left work to the point where on both sides together combined, Baker Mayfield that year threw more bootleg passes that traveled more than twenty yards in the air than any other quarterback in the NFL. And he was like eight of eleven on him for three hundred and fifty yards something like that right and two touchdowns, And specifically on bootlegs left that he threw the ball twenty year or more air yards downfield, he was five of six. He was like that play worked, So that's something we could see sure. And what I think you're going to see on these I think how they make that work on these bootlegs is you fake the run one way with your with your wide zone, so you get a lot of the offensive action moving left and therefore the defenses following to the left, and then the quarterback boots around the other way, in this case to the right. And you have receivers at three levels, so you could take the underneath one if that's if the others are covered, but if you might be able to hit the innermeter or the deeper one. And I'm just really looking forward to seeing that aspect of our offense when we're actually showing what we can do. Yeah, yeah, I am.
Speaker 3: You know, people have asked me over and over again, what do I think the team is? Well, how do you think the team's going to do? What do you think? I don't really know for sure, but I think it's going to be better than people who aren't here every day. And that's just not inside, that's just not Yeah, I work for the team. Of course, you're going to say that that is an observation of the different moving parts that I've been privileged to be able to look at.
Speaker 1: Indeed, so what else you're looking? I'm looking at my list now, she got, well, you know one thing that kind of we were usually so positive and right and shiny on this, but there are some injury issues, yes, that are still a little concerning. The First of all, Ryan Jensen has some practice in over a week. Correct, Uh, don't really. Coaches don't have to give pre ser updates right now. So Todd very understandably generally doesn't say much to questions about, for instance, Ryan Jensen's status. He'll usually just say it's status quo. Right, So therefore, we don't really know any if if for some reason we were to get inside information, we couldn't say it here right now. So the point being, it's kind of a mystery right now. It doesn't look to me very likely that he'll be starting in week one because he's got to get on the practice field and practice in full team drills before that happens.
Speaker 3: Right unless he does like he did well he did the dubtas Dallas game that practice. That being said, in fairness to Robert, he has been. He has been, I mean.
Speaker 1: Him and nick Lett.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you look at if you look at the line, it's so different now that you kind of there is reasons to be I can't think of the word optimistic. Not optimistic optimistic, No, well you can be optimistic, but you know a little suspect, you know, you're trying to Yeah, you're looking, you're looking. I mean, to be honest, you don't know what you have yet, or at least I don't know what we have yet.
Speaker 1: The funny thing about it is if Ryan isn't ready to go, and if they go with Robert Hainsey over Nick Levertt as the starting center, he'll actually be the only guy from last year's we won in the same position.
Speaker 3: Yes, crazy as that might be, because you got.
Speaker 1: Tristan move into the left. You brought him Matt Fowler for left guard, right drafted Cody Mark for right guard, and Luke Ettik he's moving to right tackle.
Speaker 3: Who I think Cody had a pretty good practice up in uh In with the Jets.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He he's I don't want to say mean, but he tough. Ryan Jensen, Yeah, yeah, it must be the red hair, must be like you know, I don't know what, but he he smilesn't really nice, but do not do not across him.
Speaker 1: He won an offensive line and be nasty, especially the guards. Yeah, they get in there in the trenches.
Speaker 3: Sure, the whistle I like it so so that'll be fun to watch.
Speaker 1: And then this is not even remotely in the same category as Ryan Jinson injury. But Antoine Winfield hasn't been playing practicing in recent days, and I'm sure that his minory doesn't look I'm sure that's a minor injury. But what it does to me is it highlights the complete lack of experienced depth we have at that position. Yes, that concerns me a little bit.
Speaker 3: It should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in fact, had Ryan Neial not fallen into our laps. I assume we would have signed somebody else because Antoine obviously has three years of experience, and Ryan Neil has experience. And then every other player we have at safety has combined for one regular season defensive snap in the NFL, and that's Nolan Turner played one snap last year. Then you got all rookies. It's all rookies after Nolan Turner, and they've liked a way some guys it looks. But when you talk about the fact that, well, that's not totally I will say that's not totally true because and we're going to get into this a little bit because d Delaney also plays safety, so you do have a little bit of experience there if you wanted to go. But on the depth chart, if one of our two safeties it's unavailable for a game, we're talking about going with starting Nolan Turner, who's, like I said, undirected free agent one defensive snap, or some rookie who's an undrected free agent who's never played in the NFL. They like these guys, don't get me wrong. And Nolan Turn's been here for a year and he might be great, but it's always a little bit concerning when you don't have anybody that you can turn to, go, well, I've seen that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got no history. Yeah, yeah, you think a you know, but you don't know until the game starts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, they we always talk about final cuts, which are coming up in less than a week, but they're not really final. And they always call you know, they have that there's hundreds of players getting cut around the league.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so there's newly available players to look at and maybe the Bucks fine, if there's any position that I would see them signing an outside veteran at at this point, it's safety, yeah, just to have some experience there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're when you're near, when you're making the cut, but you're on that higher number. Best not to celebrate too quick because you because it's like anything else you just said, a bunch of players are being cut and you don't know, Hey, that guy can work for us.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by higher number?
Speaker 3: Well, let's say I like the fifty third players. Yeah, if you're like fifty from fifty.
Speaker 1: But you don't know who you are. They don't tell you you're the fiftieth guy. We can you may you may have an inkling.
Speaker 3: If you don't know where you are, you got a problem.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, well, you know, it's it's going to be interesting because there are quite a few rookies I think have a shot at not making this team, but contributing.
Speaker 3: I say they do make it. I think this was a really solid draft class. I'm saying it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and guys like obviously Cody's starting, Kalijah when he gets back to full health, he's starting. I think Yah Yah is gonna play a lot. I think he's back though he's back in practice. Servase Dennis is it the least? Gonna play a ton on special teams? Payne Durham, We'll see what kind of role they have for him. Josh Hayes, Wow, Trey Parmer, we've already talked about.
Speaker 3: So how many they get? They get what's seventeen under practice squad now sixteen sixteen? Okay, so my Matt, that gets you sixty eight players sixty nine sixteen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, fifty three plus sixteen maths, which is an interesting point because that means, really there's only twenty one guys on this ninety minute roster that aren't conceivably if if you build your entire practice squad from guys that you have have. Yeah, which last year I believe we did fifte and week one I think it was fifteen of our own guys and one guy we added. So you know, you look at say the receiving corps, and there's maybe eleven of them right now, you might keep nine of them counting the practice squad. Wow.
Speaker 3: So yeah, when are the final cuts?
Speaker 1: August twenty ninth, which is Tuesday. Okay, yes, so the game is on Saturday. The cuts are due probably probably four pm ET on, but you can cut earlier if you can, and you probably will because after the game on Saturday, the players have Sunday and Monday off, but they come back on Tuesday and they'll be starting work then on the vikings. It won't be until the following yeah, yeah, but they'll do, and the Vikings will be working on the bucks, they'll be starting to work on actual and this is our team and still preparing. So I don't think you want to bring the guys you cut back into the building on Tuesday and then let them go. Yeah. So my guess is, if.
Speaker 3: I know you're if I know you're gone, You're gone.
Speaker 1: And they need to know. So the moves will be made. It'll be thirty seven roster moves. But then again we can bring up to sixteen of them back.
Speaker 3: I like how they did it before. You know, you goggs, Yeah, you cut, you cut, you cut.
Speaker 1: It's funny. But because I think the main impetus towards allowing teams to have larger rosters later into the preseason is the fact that previously, in the sixteen game season, the fourth game, you didn't play your starter. No, so you needed that. Yeah, you need players to get through that game. But now with a three game thing, especially in the Buck situation with their quarterback competition, like twenty twenty of our starters haven't played yet, right, but apparently they're mostly gonna play in the third game, right, so you could cut a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well supposedly supposedly the first half it looks like if you're healthy, yeah, and also depends you know, then it also goes like how long the drive is?
Speaker 1: You know, how do they get situations? Do they get a two minute drive? Yeah? And anybody, I think anybody that's even remotely injured is not going to play. No, like you, Why would you? I don't know if you practiced today, But Mike Evans didn't practice yesterday, although he was running all over the place. So I don't think.
Speaker 3: I think you never worry about Mike.
Speaker 1: I just well, I mean he's barely missed any games stock on wood. So but my point is if he has anything, if he has any little tweak, they're not gonna play him.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, It's like, do you need Mike running out on the fields here at the Edmond He does at Raymond James Stadium? What is he going for Raymond James Stadium?
Speaker 1: Every time I'm saying he's I can play at Raymon James Stadium. This sary.
Speaker 3: No, if he's hurt, I don't know. No, No, he's ready to go. He's it's yeah, he'll be fine.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: What else she got? I mean before we get d in here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I already got that. Okay, I think we're good. All right?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 1: Just what, I'm curious how many of our listeners out there, maybe this is something they could email about. Are are into the immaculate grid?
Speaker 3: What see you?
Speaker 1: It's like, if it's a game you hate it, that's not true game.
Speaker 3: I know the immaculate rece You play wordle? Huh do you play wordle?
Speaker 1: Do you play? You actively dislike fantasy football? You have.
Speaker 3: It. I understand why people do it and why they enjoy it, But I do this for a.
Speaker 1: Play poker, no cards of any kind of blackjack, blackjack, yeah, but immaculate grid is a game.
Speaker 3: I mean, I play black jack with friends.
Speaker 1: It's amazing that you have not heard of the Immaculate grid because it is a it is a sensation that has swept the nation. Really started with baseball. So what it is is it's a three by three grid, so nine squares. Along the top, you have three categories and along the side you have three categories. So and it's the first one is about baseball. So it might be like Texas Rangers in one column, Saint Louis Cardinals in another column, players that hit forty homers in a season, and then on the on the the rose also have something. So it might be like Atlanta Braves. And so where Atlanta Braves intersects with Texas Rangers, the answer has to be somebody that played for the Atlanta Blaze Braids in the Texas right now, Okay, and then they I think it was acquired by the sports network sites like Pro Football Network at Baseball Network, I mean Reference, not Network, Pro Football Reference, Baseball Reference so on. Then they have been since created one for the NFL and hockey. But yeah, and basketball, but who cares? And it's fun. It's fun.
Speaker 3: So you saved the baseball time out you go basketball?
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 3: And you're giving me a hard time because I don't care about this game.
Speaker 1: You don't care about games.
Speaker 3: It's not that I just I'm not good at Do you.
Speaker 1: Play any games on your phone? Do you have any games that you don't have a single game?
Speaker 3: I have anything?
Speaker 1: No, No, That's what I'm talking about. So but you have not only don't play this game. I knew you wouldn't play, but you have heard of it. We talk about it every I talked to the PR guys every morning about this at practice.
Speaker 3: That's probably why I doze off during that period. It's like you and golf, you know, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I heard overheard one of my I was one table over at lunch yesterday. I overheard I won't name names, okay, one of my coworkers here talking about golf, and he was telling some of the younger people at the table. He's like, it's not even about getting good. It's like you've you're anxious playing golf until you get to that point where you can go out on the course and not slow down the people behind you. So most of the time, he says, you're not you're not even good, but you know you're gonna hit the ball most almost every time, you're gonna get it a couple hundred yards down the fairway, and so you're moving along and you're not embarrassed and anxious because the people behind you are waiting. Correct, So it's it's an accomplishment. I know who said that, it's accomplishment just to get to the point where you're terrible at golf. No, that sounds like a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: No, I think he explained it wrong. What happens is is that people watch golf on TV and they think they need to be like a like a pro where they're waiting to hit their let's say their second shot. Well they only hit you know, they're two hundred and seventy five yards from the hole on their second shot. Their drive was only two hundred yards. People were on the green swing. You're not going to get there you're gonna you know, but they wait and they wait, and then the when they get on the putting green, you know, they walk around like they're gonna know which.
Speaker 1: Way to go.
Speaker 3: You don't now. We played on Friday and I was telling you about We played with a pro and he was a very exclusive course. It was with rented clubs, yeah, which actually weren't that bad. Everybody else was grousing about him. But I'm like, I'm going to hit this, you know, But I will say it helps when you can have someone read the greens for you. And I sunk a thirty footer at least, and it was like it was all yeah, it was it was, but it wasn't me. He just told me where to hit it. He still had to do it, I know, but he told me where to hit it, and I did and it went in. I was like, are you kidding me? I got a par But I always what they're saying say that you don't have to be good, just play fit so you don't hold you to get.
Speaker 1: To the point where like you're not skimming the ball along the ground and.
Speaker 3: Listen, if you're up to ten swings and it's it, just picked the ball up and go up and drop it on the green. Okay, quit holding things up.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I'm saying, if your first main goal that takes a couple of years is just be awful, Yeah, then wow, that sounds.
Speaker 3: Like a well, because golf is so hard.
Speaker 1: It's very, very hard.
Speaker 3: And if you if you play around and you play really really well, you go, oh, I've got this game, and then you go play again and it humbles you immediately.
Speaker 1: Well, email us out there if you have a feeling one way or another about golf, and whether you agree with me. That but horribly boring.
Speaker 3: In fairness to me, I'm just not a big game person. I've never It's good that you're being fair to yourself. I'm fair in fairness to me. But I do spend a lot of time reading. So true, there's that, you know. So some people like games. Some people relax their minds. It clears their head before they go to bed at night.
Speaker 1: You can do both. Yeah, That's what I did all week up in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Was play games.
Speaker 1: I played games on my phone, read a book, watched Netflix. That anyway, so the immaculate grid. I find the baseball one more fun because I can pull up names.
Speaker 3: Better, of course, because you're good at it.
Speaker 1: But the NFL one is fine too, particularly when the Bucks are in it. And you know who Paul Stewart is.
Speaker 3: I do from Bucks UK London.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he runs the buck Power awesome website. Ye, great reference for bucket.
Speaker 3: And he's also a nice buck power dot com.
Speaker 1: Every time the Bucks from the Grady emails me, and his whole goal is to get the most obscure ones possible. I love. It's like, if it's like somebody crosses between the Bucks and the Browns, he's not gonna go Vinnie Testa veritie. See this is the obvious answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm envious of, uh, those of you that have that passion for stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It's easy with the Bucks. Yeah, Like I think when when it was the there was a Bucks Browns one, and I could have gone Vinnie Tested sure, or pretty soon we'd be able to do Baker Mayfield. You have to actually, so Baker doesn't count yet. But I went with Harold Bishop just because I love this story. Do you know the story of Harold Bishops?
Speaker 3: Now I remember the name though, Did I tell this last week? No?
Speaker 1: You did not. So Harold Bishop was This is to me. I still need to ask rich McKay about this because this is still stunning to me. I can't believe it actually happened, but it did happen. The Buccaneers drafted lsu tied end Harold Bishop in the third round in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: That would have been under Sam.
Speaker 1: And then he didn't do it. He caught like two passes his whole year. He appeared to be a bust, a third round bust. Somehow rich was able to trade him to Cleveland for a second round pick in the ninety six draft. How do you draft a guy in the third round, he does nothing, and you get some team to give you a second round pick for him. You're really good. It's amazing. Yeah, and you know who that second round pick netted the Buccaneers one, mister Mike Alstutt.
Speaker 3: Really wow the at Wow.
Speaker 1: So Richmond turned a busted thirdick one of the great Buccaneer players.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think Harrold Bishop. I don't mean no, no, Bishop is catching strays here. He could be a great dude and they have a great life. No, no, no, he didn't do much in the NFL.
Speaker 3: It has nothing, It has nothing to do with Harold as a person. It's just a matter of this is how the NFL works.
Speaker 1: So all right, I just had to get in my little plug of the immaculate grid.
Speaker 3: There, you know, I will I will say this.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna have to go look into this. Here's what it looks like. It's always very exciting when your team shows up. For me, when the Cardinals show up in the baseball one, it's a blast. So there's the football one. See, so like today, all right, you see you see this column is headed by.
Speaker 3: Super Bowl Len Dawson. Wow for the Kansas City.
Speaker 1: And then the rose are Kansas City and New England and the Giants. And so for Kansas City, I picked Lynn Dawson, who was the quarterback of their first Super Bowl. For New England, I actually got one wrong first, because I guess Wes Welker he never won a Super Bowl with them, really yeah, but Julian Edelman did and for New York Giants. What is Well, the reason I remembered him is because he actually played for the Cardinals too, and that was when I was a kid. Okay, So anyway, let's get d in here. Looking forward to talking to him I have, as I said, come up with a nickname for him.
Speaker 3: I hope he likes it me too.
Speaker 1: And then we have a very short third segment because again, as just said, we haven't been getting questions because we haven't been podcasting regularly. But we're back, guys, we're back.
Speaker 3: I told you this didn't have to be as long as the other one.
Speaker 1: It is anyway, because I can't stop talking. So uh, let's let's take a break here and then we'll be back with de Delaney the Salty Dogs. And we're back here on the Salty Dogs Podcast. I'm Scott Smith and I am Jeff Ryan. Now we have our special guest with us. D Delaney. Thank you for joining us. I know you're trying to eat lunch. You right out of the line. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I got to start with this hard hitting question. What are you? I mean, what position are you? Are you a slock corner, are you an outside corner? Are you a safety?
Speaker 5: I'm not sure all the above and whatever didn't need me to be in the moment.
Speaker 3: Special teams, that's that's the key right now for you?
Speaker 1: Or was right? Yeah? But he's played quite a few snaps of all three of those positions the last two years, which is I wanted to tell you I thought of a nickname for you. So we're talking about three positions, right, all right? Three D three You know that's actually pretty good good.
Speaker 3: I want to tell our play by play guy, Gena, three D does it? Three d's got a pick?
Speaker 1: I like it? All right. You've you've been around a bit, and you had a few teams before you got here. That's a normal thing. A lot of guys do that. And then since you've been here though, you really found a home for the last two years. What what is different about what you found in this situation here?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Just really opportunity, you know, just go out and compete a lot of picks. I felt like it was set in stone. But hair, you know, Coach BA and Coach Bowl they would give each and the play an opportunity to make the team. So it's just all about you effort is going out and give me a bit foot forward.
Speaker 1: When you came here, had you already been a versal guy like that or did they find that in you?
Speaker 4: They actually fonded to me, like I never play anything other than corner and they just put me anywhere.
Speaker 5: I was fine with it. I just wanted to be on the team. Yeah.
Speaker 3: How different is it being with the Buccaneers you were with the Dolphins, Washington, Jacksonville. What can you tell us what would be the difference or for you what was the difference?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Like I said, I think it's more about opportunity. I felt the other teams they already had their player, they already had who they was a little pick for hair like each and every day you gotta go out and earn your spot, you know, nothing to guarantee, So I felt like here that's what set the difference out.
Speaker 1: As Jeff mentioned, you're also really good on special teams. What do they got you doing on special teams this year?
Speaker 5: Connor kick off? Yeah, I mean still still the same stuff. You know.
Speaker 4: You got to rememberhere you come from so all humble. Any moment anytime I'll team is it fun? I think special team harder than anything just to meet though, because you gotta scream. You know, you got all your for that all the time. So I think that's actually harder than d You.
Speaker 1: Ever had one of those penalties when you're a gunner where you run out of bounds and then they call you for not coming back in bound soon enough.
Speaker 4: No, no, so you make sure you get course, make a big emphasis of getting back in ball.
Speaker 1: That's great. How about how many times do you have to when you're doing gunner? Are you facing like double teams where you got to split them?
Speaker 5: In pre season? You know you face all the time, but dn't to see that.
Speaker 4: And I think the Saints, uh Buffalo did it a couple of times, but a lot of teams that we do double teams unless they're punt into a certain win.
Speaker 1: Well, you got Zion on the other side of your fast.
Speaker 5: Grown young they gotta get him one and they gotta get me.
Speaker 3: We're talking to three D at the table.
Speaker 1: I like it. You had really had two interceptions in that last game. So the first one, let's talk about the first one. Did you know that did you caught it? That it didn't hit the ground?
Speaker 5: Did it hit your foot, hit my foot, step my foot on the last minute? And I know I caught it.
Speaker 3: How we knew you caught it is because none of the little rubber balls, little rubber things came up.
Speaker 1: Good call.
Speaker 3: So that was that was adamant that you had it, and then of course looking at the replay, and then even then it was even more.
Speaker 1: But yeah, for the listeners, Jeff is talking about how these artificial pieces of.
Speaker 3: That ended up sticking in people's skins.
Speaker 1: And so the second one, the second one was more traditional sort of interception, and unfortunately it didn't count because there was a penalty. It was the penalty a good call. You won't get fined.
Speaker 4: That's the way I always didn't call it. But I mean, it's a good call. You know down the field can't what he touched it was.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be frustrating that when you get a pick and there's it's.
Speaker 3: A learning experience that you now know that the penalty was right. But I'm just saying it's a learning experience.
Speaker 1: Yea. So did you go over the sideline and lobby for them to uh to review the challenge the interest?
Speaker 3: I just took my hand.
Speaker 1: I know that, okay, And the coaches trusted you.
Speaker 3: You knew, you knew the film, don't lie, So you're gonna do credit. Whether they wanted to give it to your in the room, I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: You're married, Yeah, I don't know, yeah, no, no, but but it's a it's a interesting story. You almost gave up on football and you decided not to and you were you were at the you took the military test and you passed it. How hard was that?
Speaker 1: Or what is the military test?
Speaker 4: As you know, you're just going in a bunch of they got mechanical question math, science, reading stuff like that, and I mean I just took the test. I didn't study anything for it.
Speaker 5: I just took it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it hard.
Speaker 5: For me? It wasn't.
Speaker 4: But I mean I think I think if you like, if you don't know, like mechanical stuff like that is kind of hard actually, like real mechanical tool and stuff.
Speaker 1: But other than that, so you're a it sounds like, oh yeah, so that.
Speaker 3: Was your backup plan in case the NFL didn't work out. Was that the situation for the time being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was just gonna go because I mean I had a family at the point at the time, so I just want to put off with my family.
Speaker 3: He has a daughter named Madison.
Speaker 1: Madison. She's very special. Oh yeah, tell us about Madison.
Speaker 5: My pride and my joy. You know, everything I do I do for her. She in my world.
Speaker 4: She got daunting Jerome so, I mean even with dad, I mean I kind of love her even more. I cheated her as saying like everybody else and she everything to me.
Speaker 1: She taught your patience, didn't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just just just being just being there for her, even when I get frustrated the NFL not being the NFL. Just seeing her face and just her being with everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, that's great. It's good to hear. What's your background before, is it? Because I don't know. I didn't know this until he said it was the military thing? What led you go into the citadel?
Speaker 4: No, So I never had any military experience before the Cito.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: I just really went there because my h my godness, Consulate, my mom and my uncle, they was like, let's go to military. Just gets football on workout. You know, you have a good backup play because Sit Sit her have a real good networking. So I was like, all right, that's fine. But I never really had intention on going to the military. In my mind, I was I'm going to the NFL. I'm just going to the citadel for them, you know, and make them happy.
Speaker 3: But how hard was it being at that school?
Speaker 1: I'm just curing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's pretty strict.
Speaker 4: For the first show is kind of hard, you know, I want to see its hard, just different because it's more mental game, kind of like hazing a little bit. But after you get through that and understand that it's more mental, helps you become a better person, prepare each and every day for life.
Speaker 5: So I mean I took it like took it on the chin and kept moving.
Speaker 3: And then you went down to Miami.
Speaker 1: Must have done well.
Speaker 3: You go from here.
Speaker 1: You talk about the.
Speaker 5: Wide spectrum, way different, way different, like.
Speaker 3: Way different in a good way.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, definitely, definitely, But I mean going to the city. By the time I got to Miami, I was already accustomed to doing everything in siteraal way, like fulling my clothes and making my bed. So by the time I got to Miami, it was just disappoint Basically, do.
Speaker 3: You still make your bed when you get up in the morning.
Speaker 4: I tried to, but I mean my wife still be sleeping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I thought maybe he took his part down.
Speaker 1: So, like we said, you found a home here and it's gone really wealthy the last couple of years. But you did kind of jump to a couple teams before that, so you've been in this situation before in late August when they're gonna make the restaurants and so I imagine you feel very confident right now. But just what's that like and what is it like for you now? Uh?
Speaker 4: I mean at first, when I first got to lead with in a good experience because you want to be in the NFL to and getting cut with kind of tough.
Speaker 5: Also tough for your family. But now I feel like.
Speaker 4: It is gonna be what it's gonna be, you know, as long as you go out and give your best foot for it. Feel like I'm just down the sword. Whatever happens happened. But now that I know I did my best, I.
Speaker 5: Can live with that.
Speaker 3: To gain some perspective along this definitely definitely do you tell the other guys that you know are trying to make the team, because you've been through this before, you kind of like, hey, you know, you just gotta just do what you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, just don't get down to yourself like I feel like early on I got down on myself, lost of lot of self confidence because I mean, you're the man in college and then the NFL you get cut it like, damn, I really not that good. So I always tell him that don't lose confident in yourself. You know, it's all about time and the situation.
Speaker 3: How do you How did you work through that that because it's like you said, you're in college and you were the guy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I felt like my wife helped me a lot with that, like just her being motivating me, like, you know, just keep going, baby, It'll be all right.
Speaker 5: You know, your time will come.
Speaker 4: Like I said, all about time and the situation, and the right time, and the right situation came.
Speaker 5: I just had to see the opportunity.
Speaker 3: And you were working out on the side, you know, you weren't with the team. Oh yeah, so you just stayed in shape and kept going.
Speaker 1: You know. I was telling you that this podcast is called Salty Dolls because we've been around for a long time and I've seen a change in players in the NFL where it is acceptable and a good thing to talk about things that you just mentioned that you had a little crisis of confidence at one point, which should be obvious. Everybody that's facing a challenge can have doubts, right, Yeah, but I don't think even fifteen twenty years ago players would ever talk about that. We've heard so much in this camp like Tristan Worfs. You know how freaking good Tristan Wurfs is. He was good from the moment he got here, but he was telling us how he had really big problems with doubting himself when he first got her. He's like, I can't do this. I'm I'm supposed to protect Tom Brady and I'm gonna I'm gonna screw this team up. That's Tristan Worfs, who's an all pro. So do you feel the same way that it is more acceptable now? And that's a good thing for guys to admit that there are mental challenges.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: I think it is because, like you say, before, everybody wanted to be like a tough guy, and I mean they never really had an outlet. Now I feel like people have an outlet and they can talk to more people about it. So it's bringing lighting them all the situation because I think about it, if you don't really got nobody to talk to and I'm all stressing stuff on your mental you got to release that from just yourself and just being to talk to other people.
Speaker 1: And what's great about this is that young athletes are hearing this, so you know it's good. You can be a tough guy. You're not in playing in the NFL. You're not tough, but you can also talk about what that stuff.
Speaker 3: Well D made a good point is when you when you mulleled around in your head, you're just it's just you until you say it out loud. And that is something that when I was growing up, you're growing up, Yeah, they didn't have that, and it is important. And it's also important to know that you're not alone, that you're not the only person that is creating that has some doubt the gustines. I wonder if I'm any good at this or what's going on. But also you're showing your perseverance that if you know what we used to call it, you know, cut off at the knee, you got to bring yourself back up. And uh that that's very good. That's excellent to you know, people need to remember that is it? It's okay?
Speaker 4: Because I feel like an NFL or just sports in general, sometimes they feel like, oh, did not be a human. They feel like, yes, we human too. We got probably that situation. So we all just try to overcome the situations that we.
Speaker 3: Especially when you're talking to fantasy football I'm not a fantasy.
Speaker 1: Football don't ahead. He is, Yeah, but but I don't talk to the player about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was like, oh, he just cost dude, you know.
Speaker 1: But that's great.
Speaker 3: All right, we told you we're a twelve minute mark.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm gonna be good. You know.
Speaker 3: That he's smiling and he's having.
Speaker 1: A good to eat.
Speaker 5: Well, he's okay, he can.
Speaker 3: Go get new fresh lunch.
Speaker 1: It's okay, all right, Well, we very much appreciate your time and good luck, and it's it seems like it's really going well for you. So we're really pleased to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so you can credit Scott when we start calling three D three D.
Speaker 1: The Salty Dogs and we're back here one more time on the Salty Dogs Podcast.
Speaker 3: Jeff Ryan, I have to I have to say props to you, you know, three D. You like, I'm going to get all over gene on that.
Speaker 1: You got to spell it out. It's three D.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that three D Delainey that you gotta love that place. Three positions. You should you know for me giving you props on something like that. It's pretty strong, all right, Okay, So nice guy too, very and he took the time out.
Speaker 1: I caught him in there. I told yesterday, hey, I'll just find you in the in the he said, you want to do it, go ahead, You were going to say.
Speaker 3: Well, what I was going to say is we walked him out, and as we were walking, I went to get some Well, first of all, we didn't walk him out, and he couldn't get out of the hallway. I forgot to buzz him. But so luckily we both needed water. So we went to go and we buzzed him through. And so as we're walking he's still holding his lunch. I said, you really need to toss that. That's cold, and he goes, oh, no, I'm not tossing this. He goes, I have to go lift, and that's you know, a lot of guys would just throw. I said, well, I didn't mean. He goes, no, it's good. I like it this way.
Speaker 1: I told him we agreed yesterday that I would grab him during their lunch break. But the lunch break is like three hours long, so I didn't know when he was gonna be there. Like you said, he had to lift. They've got a special teams meeting, and so I just happened to see him come in and starting the line, and I went up to him for the purpose of saying, hey, just mind and so when you're done eating, we can go to the Let's just go do it now. I'm like, you can eat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great man, nice man.
Speaker 1: And I've he's talked about his daughter before. You can tell his face lights up when he talks.
Speaker 3: About interesting though. He took the military officer that I didn't know about that. Yeah, that's that was a little nugget I thought.
Speaker 1: I like, when I said, you must have been a good student, He's.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, like yeah, no, no.
Speaker 1: He didn't decide to be h okay. So, like I said, only it's I only have one question is from our of course you know who it's from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a podcast without Alexandria Alexander or Alexander.
Speaker 1: Nomento from South Powlo, Brazil. He says, a holy salty one. Hope this finds you both well. It does. In your job, have you ever had to choose between two people who to get a raise or something like a head coach has to do to choose a quarterback one or a kicker, or have you or were you ever in a situation where you're competing for a job promotion, such as the buck players are. So he's making a parallel between the fact that guys are fighting for jobs. Have we been in a situation where either had to fight for a job or had to choose? Since you did, thanks for reading. PS. Did you notice that the Jets have a player with a surname just as my name, his first name Alexander. I didn't notice that.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I don't think I have a good example here. I mean, there were there were multiple candidates that we were choosing from when we hired Brie to be our team writer. But I don't know if that's the same thing.
Speaker 3: I I wanted a position. I wanted a job so bad that I had spent my career trying to get the job to make uh. It was to be a program director of a country station. I know that sounds really weird, but really I really really wanted that job and I didn't get it. And when I was told I wasn't getting it, they said, however, we do want you to run the Bucket air radio network. So the job I didn't get actually was the best thing that ever happened to me, because all these years later, I've been with the Buccaneer Radio Network. So I always tell like interns or people who are looking for jobs, I always say, you know, I have to remember sometimes the job you don't get is the best thing that ever happened.
Speaker 1: So I did have to compete with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, and I lost, but then I won. I don't really have that experience because I never went for a job I didn't get. See that's partially because I've been in the same job most of my adult life.
Speaker 3: Well, they just don't know what you I got the.
Speaker 1: I applied for and got the internship with the chiefs coming out of college, and then a year later I ran for this job.
Speaker 3: I remember your first year, I was a pr person.
Speaker 1: Yes, you were, so I guess when I moved into running the website and producing content in ninety nine, I was the only one. I just went and asked, Hey, can we create this job, and they said yes, yes.
Speaker 3: And as it turned out, that's actually a great career move.
Speaker 1: It worked out, it worked out, So there you go. The Alexander on the Jets is named Deslin Alexander. He's a rookie out of pit He's a defensive end.
Speaker 3: Wow. So good job.
Speaker 1: Hope he makes the team. I don't think he was a draft pick, so he might be a long shot of the number ninety eight. But no, I don't really have a good example for that. I do remember hiring a writer in the late two thousands, great guy named Charlie.
Speaker 3: I remember Charlie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great dude. Still keep in touch. But in any case, I did the interview on the phone, and the I knew I wanted to hire him when I asked him. This was the question. So things are going badly for the team the books, something bad happens, you have to cover it. But you know that writing for the team, you generally don't want to be taking shots. So how do you tell the story when it's not good? Like your team committed five turner vers, You're not going to write it was a disaster of the books. They have to get the figure out. How do you do that? And the answer, which he nailed without hesitation, was you let the players and the coaches tell the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if the coach says Turners are killing us, we have to get this fixed. You had story, So he says, you can then expand on it and then flesh it out. But it's the coach saying that.
Speaker 3: I think probably one of the hardest uh as he was talking about things you had to do for you is when we had cutbacks in eight and and you had to tell Charlie Man, you didn't have to bring that up.
Speaker 1: But it's true, it was all right whatever because it was during the recession.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was during the recession.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not get into that.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, though, is that you have to make tough decisions.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of the people there was a number of people that there were like, go from the staff, yeah, in that year, and they were not like oh because they were not good at.
Speaker 3: Their No, No, it was total and a lot and almost all of them ended.
Speaker 1: Up they're all doing great.
Speaker 3: He's doing great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's doing great. Well, I don't know that for a fact, but yeah, the ones that I know are doing sure. But any case, that's I don't really want to talk about that. All right, that's hit, Jeff. That's the only one. So hopefully we have more questions next week.
Speaker 3: Did you mean to end on a down note about anything?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Mostly you know you're gonna want to ask about the bucks, But I mean.
Speaker 3: Are we gonna do it. Are we going to do one of these after the preseason game, before the Viking Gamer? I think after the Viking game.
Speaker 1: I think we should do When you mean next week, yes, I think we should do one next week because we'll have the cuts to talk about, so there'll be a lot of news.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we can talk about yes, with the twenty twenty three Buccaneer team looks.
Speaker 1: Up and hopefully we can find a guest. Generally there's one or two guys that are great stories that they made the team.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great.
Speaker 1: Like we didn't really get into it much when I talked about rookies. We only talked about the draft picks. Correct. I could see three four guys ranks making it. Yeah, among the guys who have shown up quite a bit, Sean Tucker, I like it. Christian Izzion could be your starting level for Kim Jarrett.
Speaker 3: Boy, I'm looking forward to next week's podcast all of a.
Speaker 1: Sudden, Yeah, so I think we should do one. So you need to send us questions. Good? All right, anyway, again one more time. That's Salty Dogs at Buccaneers dot NFL dot com. Jeff, I'm done.
Speaker 3: I'm me too, because I'm hungry all right since you did. Thanks for listening, M