Speaker 1: There's a better behavior available to you, And I think a lot of us are sitting on the knowledge that there's a better behavior available to us, and I would argue that that is a key to a lot of our suffering.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the one you feed Throughout time, great thinkers have recognized the importance of the thoughts we have, quotes like garbage in, garbage out, or you are what you think, ring true. And yet for many of us, our thoughts don't strengthen or empower us. We tend toward negativity, self pity, jealousy, or fear. We see what we don't have instead of what we do. We think things that hold us back and dampen our spirit. But it's not just about thinking. Our actions matter. It takes conscious, consistent, and creative effort to make a life worth living. This podcast is about how other people keep themselves moving in the right direction, how they.
Speaker 3: Feed their good wolf. Thanks for joining us. Our guest on this episode is Mark Groves, a human connection specialist, founder of Create the Love, and the host of the Mark Groves Podcast. He's a speaker, writer, motivator, creator and collaborator. Mark's work bridges the academic and the human inviting people to explore the good, the bad, the downright ugly, and the beautiful sides of connection.
Speaker 4: Hi, Mark, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hi, I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am really happy to have you on. You've got a podcast called The Mark Groves Podcast, which I love. You also do a lot of work around relationships. You've got a new book coming out in the spring, so there's a lot of things for us to talk about. But before we do, let's start like we always do with the parable. In the parable, there's a grandparent who's talking with our grandchild say, in life, there are two wolves inside of us that are always at battle. One is a good wolf, which represents things like kindness and bravery and love, and the other's a bad wolf, which represents things like greed and hatred and fear. And the grandchild stops and they think about it for a second. They look up at their grandparent. They say, well, which one wins? And the grandparent says, the one you feed. So I'd like to start off by asking you what that parable means to you in your life and in the.
Speaker 5: Work that you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, when I first heard that parable, I loved interviewing you because you told talked about how the parable just makes a simple human experience become very obvious. You know that idea you can't see the forest when you're in the trees. I think that parable really allows you to see the trees. And for me, that exemplifies what we focus on, what we choose to become. You know, I think all choices in life are either pro life or pro death. And I know that sounds very binary, but I do actually believe that in that you are either making choices that are moving you towards who you are to become and expanding you, or you're not. And I think when we get really real about that, then we can actually change our lives. We can actually say, is this choice in this moment one that is moving me towards what I want to create? And the parable also points to that we all have the capacity to be both. We are always taking different intersections in time. We think about the butterfly effect of doing something, you know, going into the past and doing something and messing up the present today, but we don't often think about the butterfly effect of this present moment and actually creating a beautiful transformation to the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's dive into that statement a little bit more. That every choice is either pro life or pro death. And again, for a lot of Americans will hear the term pro life and they're going to get a certain condotation. Oh yeah, yeah, right, Yeah, we could say it's towards love or fear, or it's a life enhancing choice or a life denying choice. Right, there's all these things.
Speaker 5: Good point on the wording.
Speaker 4: But let me ask about that because there's a lot of choices in life that scene relatively mundane, and they also, taken alone, they might not feel life enhancing. We talked about this when you and I talked on your show. We talked about context. So let me give you an example. Yeah, you know, let's say I've got four children and I'm a single mom, and I'm going to work today. Like, going to work today doesn't feel life enhancing, right, but is part of a bigger picture, which is the ability to provide for my children. Is life enhancing? Is a value of mine?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: How do you think about that when the choices may not in the short term feel like they're life enhancing, but they are in the broader picture. How do you think through that?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, that's a beautiful context because when you broad in the way that you look at that, and for me, changing my child's diaper is not life enhancing, but it is for my child, you know, and it brings connection and love and all those types of things. But when you look at things like the example you're giving, and you can put it in the greater context, then you can at least make it mean something like it's contributing to something for sure, any form of transformation, giving up sugar, giving up any form of addiction, these things are not in the moment expansive. They don't feel expensive, especially the rock bottoms especially, you know, when you don't pick up that thing again. And when we look at the greater scheme of what we want to create, though, and that's really the context. You know, the idea that expansion is free of suffering, you know that's not true. I know that's not true. When we learn the value of different emotions, we won't try to save other people from them either.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Like when I found deep grief and I actually was in it sober, it transformed me in the most beautiful way.
Speaker 5: And now when I.
Speaker 1: See people experiencing grief, going through breakups, going through endings, going through whatever it might be, losses. I don't try to save them from it because I know the alchemical elixir that is at hand, what's being invited from life, is to deepen us. So that's sort of how I think about it. But I think when we're in survival mode, then of course we need to have compassion for the choices we're making. When we're trying to make ends meet, we have to have compassion. You know, eating fast food might not be a life quote unquote enhancing choice, but it is if it's going to nourish you to get you to the next day. So I think your conversation about context, I think is so important pro life and pro death as a way of categorizing choices which let's say love and fear, that's better word choice in the future, those at least, they seem very harsh as the way we categorize them.
Speaker 5: But I think when we can sit with the truth.
Speaker 1: Of something like this is something temporary, we're negotiating with ourselves. I think often to the words of ram Das, he said that I hope I live with the integrity that the truths that live within me are the truths that live outside of me, and when those two things are not aligned, I'm sending a message of both love and fear. And I think about that a lot of like we are all, almost all of us sitting on untapped wisdom. We know that something's not good for us, and we continue to choose it. And it was when I finally made the choice of my life that I would live at the highest level of knowledge that was available to me, in that if I knew something needed to change, I wanted to create a line of integrity that it changed not in a month, not in six months, but actually the moment I recognize it. And to me, that really allowed me to honor the suffering I was experiencing, because no longer was I tried to avoid the shame of the awareness that it wasn't good for me. I was actually learning from the shame, a healthy level of shame, which really says there's a better behavior available to you. And I think a lot of us are sitting on the knowledge that there's a better behavior available to us. And I would argue that that is a key to a lot of our suffering.
Speaker 4: Boy, there's a lot of things in there I would love to dive into. But I'm going to go with the healthy shame piece. Let's talk about that because shame is generally used as a phrase that is not good for us. You know, we all know there's an unhealthy shame. So maybe talk to me about to you what the difference between shame in the fear sense, right back to our positive and negative choices, you know, the negative form of shame and the positive form of shame. And is there another word that might be better for people than positive shame or why do you use that word?
Speaker 1: Well, I think we try to avoid feelings that are categorized as negative. You know, our society sends the message that sadness, grief, those types of things that means there's something wrong with you as opposed to your emotions are actually information.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: In Brene Brown, when she talks about shame versus guilt, she talks about guilt being I did something wrong, shame being I am something wrong. And I think that's important for context. But shame as an evolutionary emotion, one people experience shame in order to be part of a group, right to make sure that their behavior is simulated so they didn't get kicked out of the tribe, but also so the tried had behaviors and values that were aligned. But it can also be weaponized. And when belonging is weaponized against people, well then humans essentially have two needs and this is from the work of a Bormante. We have the need to self express and be authentic, and we also have the need to belong But when self expression threatens belonging, belonging usually wins. So for the most people, they have learned to self abandon in order to maintain group membership, whether that's a relationship, a family, a culture, a church. You know, what happens is is we forget about ourselves. We forget about ourselves, and we prioritize connection to other over connection to self, you know, essentially codependency. Now, when I think about healthy shame, I think about healthy shame in the context of the awareness that there is an authentic, self expressed, more aligned, integrist version of us that we are being called towards. And so it's not something to be numbed or avoided. It's actually something to be turned towards. But in our culture modeling that turning towards, you know, like most families, most relationships, most cultures pivot around the truth. They don't talk about the elephant in the room. Whole family systems and roles in families are designed in order to not talk about dad's alcoholism or or mom's addiction, or the narcissism or the abuse. Everyone takes on a role to make sure no one suffers too much and no one turns towards this thing, and so we learn to not turn towards our stuff. And so part of that sort of invitation by using the word healthy shame is really the reclamation of the word too. It doesn't mean that there isn't a such thing as toxic shame, which is to take a behavior and make it that we are something bad. And then what we do is we sit in the belief that there's something wrong with us as opposed to something wrong with our behavior. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Totally, totally makes sense. Earlier you mentioned a rock bottom, you mentioned giving up behavior. I know that you sort of found your way into sobriety, and I was wondering if we could just talk a little bit about what brought you there and how you got sober and what that means to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, sobriety was chasing me for a long time, as I'm sure it is true for many people. It's interesting because sobriety originally became a concept that I really looked at in my relationship to alcohol. You know, my relationship to alcohol was very much like a normalized how culture is. You know, in college, I binge strength, you know, once a week I would go out and get pretty hammered. And I was at this conference and I was listening to this former investment banker speak and he was saying that, you know, he was partying, living on four hours of sleep at night. I didn't get to the like extreme drugs or anything like that, but I was feeling like, maybe I should try not drinking. Like that was kind of that, you know, it came as this little huh, maybe you should just try that. And when I was listening to him speak, he said, what is something that you value more than anything in the world, And for me, it was connection. And I realized that through drinking, I had time traveled and not been present to connection. And I thought, oh my god, well, the very choice I'm making is actually harming the very thing I value most. And I really started to see, just like the immediacy of life the importance of every moment.
Speaker 5: Actually two moments.
Speaker 1: One with a friend of mine on a bachelor party and he wasn't drinking and there was about twelve of us there and I said to him, you don't drink and he was like, super fun, super cool guy. And I had not been to a bachelor party sober. You know how when you're thinking about getting sober, there's always another event that's keeping you from getting sober right, right, wedding, bachelor, right. And so he said to me, when my wife left me the next day, I got sober because I knew if I didn't it wouldn't be good. And he said, that was four years ago, and it's been the best choice I've ever made in my life. And I was like, okay, God's given me more messages here. And then I was listening to a book from Paul Sellig and in the book there was this line where he said, your body is only able to alchemize the lowest level of truth you're willing to hold. And I was like, wait, what. I don't know what that means, but I knew there was something in it. And he said, what truth do you know that you are not living? And immediately it was like, I need alcohol to connect, I need alcohol to escape.
Speaker 5: You need to quit drinking.
Speaker 1: And then there was this line where he said it's like being a fish living in an aquarium who learns about the ocean and goes back to the aquarium and pretends they don't know. And I was like, I quit right after that because I recognized that I was sitting on an untapped awareness that it was gnawing ammy and I was afraid of all the things I was going to lose. I was afraid of what people would think. How would I hang out at a guy's trip? How would I do all these things? But I realized how codependent that was for me. It was like, how do I heal and step into my full power regardless of what people think? And I recognized that continuing to drink was a way to continue to maintain group membership. And I was like, well, then I'm still not sovereign. I'm still not a self because I'm dependent on this thing in order to be with people, because it's a ritual, because culture just says this is what you do. And when I made that rule, there was an annual guys trip that I'd been on for seventeen years coming up. There was a bachelor party and there was a wedding. I was mzing all within like three months of quitting. And I mean the first event I went to, I was like, I'm now the designated driver.
Speaker 5: People love that.
Speaker 4: Yep, I've been that way for a long time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the second part that was really interesting was that it started to make other people think about their relationship to sobriety. And you know, it transformed for me after that. You know, I listened to this spiritual teacher. I went to this retreat. Her name was Gonkaji, and she said, you need to get sober from everything that.
Speaker 5: Pulls you away from who you are.
Speaker 1: And I recognized, there's a few more things I need to get sober from. And I start to realize that it was sugar, it was distractive techniques, it was reactive behavior, you know, all these things that robbed me from being in my essence. So yeah, people pleasing that was another one.
Speaker 4: What does that mean to you to be in your essence?
Speaker 1: For me, it means to be in alignment with what I'm feeling, called towards with what I need to express, like in my partnership, our dedication is to truth. It's to truth. First, we previously were together for five years and we broke up. And when we broke up, it was the ending of two patterns that we had along before each other. And you know, there's this moment where, throughout the first five years, Kylie that's her name, sometimes she would have these sort of like gnawing dreams like this isn't the relationship for me. I need to leave this. And she didn't know why. She couldn't make sense of it. She loved the relationship, she loved being in a relationship with me.
Speaker 5: We had fun.
Speaker 1: We were two people who were very desiring of growth and transformation, and so we tried to work through it. And she told me this. You know, I felt her feeling distant and I was like, hey, what's going on? And she told me about this dreams she had and it was, you know, living in her psyche. It kept being there and it kept holding her back from opening. And I mean we did all the things, you know, we went, we had a psychotherapist, we did retreats individually, we did them together, and you know, we got to this place where I was like, if in order for you to maintain and stay in this relationship, you have to believe there's something wrong with you, like something wrong with your intuition, that the truth you're getting is actually not the truth that we're going to live. And I said, I can't be in a relationship that requires you to abandon your inner truth. And I said, and although that's painful for me, like the life I want to create and I want to create a family, I want to do it with you. But if you're not feeling called towards this, I love you, and I love you whether this goes on or it doesn't. And that was like one of the first times I'd faced an ending. I'd been her before, i'd been her in a previous relationlationship, and I didn't know why I needed to leave. I just felt called towards it. And it was one of the hardest decisions I ever made. It was actually probably the first decision that I made for myself in my late twenties, but probably in my life. It was finally something where I was like, I needed to free myself from the narrative you get married by this age, you have kids by this age, and if you don't do it, you live the sort of story this type of job, this type of fucking degree. If you don't do those things, there's something wrong with you. And so I finally opted out. It took a while, but I finally opted out. And when I faced her in that moment, what I desperately wanted when I was on the other side was someone to say I love you like you've got to choose what you got to choose. But love is not committed to being together. It's committed to truth. And what's strangely paradoxical about that is that the conversations that could end our relationship, which we often avoid because society actually credes relationships based on on their status, but also based on their longevity. So because our value is often perceived in our relationship status but also the things we achieve, but because it's often based in our relationship status, we won't have the conversations that might end it, and we won't be ourselves if being ourselves might end it. But the irony is those are the exact conversations that actually deepen it. And for us, the ending came, and for me it was finally ending a pattern where I used to fight the underlying core belief I had in relationship was nobody chooses me. You don't choose me, you don't choose me fully, You're not fully in here. I am love and all out martyring it rida here, I am love and all out a doormat chasing what doesn't want to chase me? And I finally said, I'm not chasing anymore and I love you, and she said I'm no longer going to operate in relationship that doesn't honor my intuition. I love you, And so we had a closing ceremony, which was the first time I ever ended a relationship with such intention, which was terrifyingly, devastatingly beautiful and one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But what happened was there was this like sort of strange change in both of us. We didn't talk for a while, we went on different directions. The relationship was over. It was over for me. I was not interested in reuniting. The only way I would be interested in reuniting is if I met her in the future, not going backwards, but like a different narrative, a different story, a different possibility. And I mean, what's so beautiful about it is it ended up being a place that now we honor truth. And the conversation that we have just to come back to where we started is that it was you know, I love you, and there's a security to that, there's a choice to that. I think of a line that I heard from Jordan Peterson, which everybody think what you want about him, but the line is good, which is commitment only works when you do it. And that to me, I was like, have I ever been all in with someone who's all in with me?
Speaker 5: No? I hadn't.
Speaker 1: I was terrified of her receiving love. I was terrified of being met by somebody. I chased people who weren't ready, who couldn't choose me, And when I finally was met by her, I was met by a different woman.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: We had to repair trust, you know, at the beginning, because she would say I want to choose this, and I'd be like, I don't believe you because she had said that before. And she would say to me, you're right, I'm not going anywhere. I choose this, and I was like, you know, it's like everything you want to hear is pa you know, beautiful but also vulnerable. And I think about the vows people making relationship you know till death to us part is a common one that previously was made also honor and obey was too that one's gone out the window, which good. But what's interesting is I think, like, is it a mortal death or is it the death of the version of you that chose the relationship at the time? And do our relationships foster a space for us both to grow as individuals, pursue our passions and step fully into ourselves and that be actually what cultivates the space between us, which is not the completion of each other, but actually a separate entity that is created by two sovereign whole beings who are celebrated by one another, expanded by one another. And so when we came back together, there was very much a deep intention in that coming back together and a commitment that's beyond and also a recognition that, I mean, this is an uncomfortable truth that's true for everybody. Is in any moment, at any time, your partner can decide to leave, You can decide to leave. And I think when we can be with the truth of that, then we can be with the power of the choice to be with each other, and we recognize the power of choice and so for us that has I mean, it's completely transformed me because if you know, at seventy years old, Kylie says to me, I can't do this anymore. I mean that would devastate me. And I'm not here to get in the way of the alignment of versul of her path and that I think there's something liberating about that. I think for some people, though, acknowledging that truth is painful and it's something we don't want to look at because we haven't explored what it means to be alone.
Speaker 4: I've started sending a couple of text messages after each podcast listener, with positive reminders about what's discussed and invitations to apply the wisdom to your life. It's free, and listeners have told me that these texts really helped to pull them out of autopilot and reconnect them with what's important. When you get a text for me during your day to day life, it's one more thing that helps you further bridge that gap between what you know and what you do. Positive messages when you need them for me to you. So if you'd like to hear from me a few times a week via text, go to oneufeed dot net. Slash text and sign up for free. So you described a way thereo taking an enormous amount of personal power and responsibility for saying to her, go if you want to go, right, And I'm just curious how you summoned the ability to do that. I mean, I know you've probably done a lot of work on yourself by that point, but boy, that's a core thing. Right When the person who supposedly loves you says I don't know that I do, it's really painful to hear that, right, It's enormously painful, and it's terrifying to lose a relationship of five years, particularly given it sounds like to you you knew in some ways this is a person for me, Like this is really valuable. Right, So I can't imagine it was as easy as you just made it sound with that, right, right, Like, I can't imagine you just went, Well, you know, what the right thing to do is to say, if you want to go, go, and I'm going to live out of my personal power and like talk to me a little bit about the moment to moment wrestling with that, because I think we all want to be that person. Yeah, I agree, right, we all want to be the person who would say I love you and I want your growth and I want truth and if that means it doesn't include me, fine, that's the person we want to be. And I know for me in relationships, there are plenty of times that the person I want to be is hijacked by in my case, a lot of early childhood bonding trauma things, right, and so the person I want to be just get swept away. Sometimes that wound gets triggered, and it's a big one for many of us. Right, And so what was that process actually like for you? How did you say that? How did you mean it? How much did you mean it? What did you do when you desperately wanted to cling? What I mean, like, just walk me through that. What you did was amazing. And again, as I said, and you just said, it's not easy.
Speaker 1: No, no, because it's going against the attachment pattern, right, it's going against the attachment trauma.
Speaker 5: Because yeah, when we have.
Speaker 1: Abandonment, rejection wounds, betrayal wounds, yep, we usually pick up a few adaptive strategies. You know, one is to chase people and the other is to avoid people. So really, our relationship to space is what we're relating to I know we think about it it's in relation to other, but it's really the relationship between space and other. And so how we behave in response to space is what's different. If there's space, I don't want any, space is not safe. If there's not enough space, I need more. That's really interesting. So that speaks to why you could be both avoidantly attached and anxiously attached. Which has been my back and forth throughout my life and earlier relationships, was Oh, you're really into me.
Speaker 4: I got to back up right and I'm not really that into you, And oh yeah, you're suddenly not into me. Holy shit, I must have you at all costs.
Speaker 5: You know, I know that feeling.
Speaker 4: I think what you're saying makes sense about that space. It's the relation to that space. When that space is either too small or too big, we move in a particular direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our strategy is just different. But they're both insecure forms of attachment. And that's why it's so easy to pivot between the two, as you're saying, because you don't actually become secure, you just pivot between insecurity strategies that are insecure. The other side, when you think about it from a nervous system perspective is anxiously attached people. People who are afraid of space have a hard time self regulating, so being with emotions on their own, sitting in them a little longer. People who are more distant, who push away, they have a hard time coregulating being with another person's nervous system. So when we start to think about the like biological that needs to heal, right, which behaviors can heal the biological right, Like I can make a different choice and my nervous system will get disregulated, which usually to soothe I'll go into a behavior. So if I'm afraid you're going to take space, and I'm anxiously attached, and I'm like, you know what, I'm just going to sit a little back, and I get this dysregulation, my nervous system kicks up. The way I would soothe that is to maybe text you or chase you, call you. But then I end up again in an insecure relationship because it requires this abandonment of myself and my self regulation in order to maintain connection.
Speaker 4: Say more about that, What do you mean in an abandonment of myself or my self regulation? In what way is that an abandonment because when you're in it, it feels like you're doing the one thing that actually could make you feel better, which I get as I say that, I can see how that's a parallel to drugs. Right, So there's a clear parallel there, very similar. In what way to you would that be an abandonment of yourself.
Speaker 1: So let's say, in context, for me, in my relationship to Kylie, there's distance. She's not sure about the relationship at the core of a five year relationship, about a year in this dream. So that means, unconsciously, although consciously discussed, hey, let's fix that. Let's work on that. Unconsciously, my nervous system is going she's not actually sure she's going to be here. At any moment, she might leave. So the core of all relationships, whether they're work or home or love or family, is the essence the need for psychological safety the moment someone might leave, which often people threaten in relationship. As soon as someone threatens leaving in a relationship, it destabilizes this safety. There's no psychological safety. So what happens is we might cling, we might do behaviors that try to get more connection, but we're not dealing with the underlying thing, which is the lack of psychological safety. So our attachment systems, which are basically a radar, and all they're saying is am I safe and secure? Is this relationship safe and secure? So in the research for you listening, just so you can understand, it's developmental, it's usually determined before the age of two. You can change it. That's the beautiful things. And nothing I'm saying is like a destiny. And so you know, the research is from looking at young child with her mother. Mother leaves the room, mother comes back, and they look at how the baby responds to mother leaving and coming back. First one mom leaves, mom comes back. Baby's like, clings to mom, doesn't leave mom's side. I don't trust that when you leave you're going to come back, anxiously attached. Second one mom leaves, mon comes back. Baby reunites with mom, then goes back to playing I trust you, thanks for coming back. I got this. I go back to autonomy, right, sovereignty. Third one mom leaves, mom comes back. Babies like, didn't even notice you were gone, Not really a big deal. Looks ambivalent, but physiologically is actually responding the same way as the first baby. So when we actually look at how we relate to things like someone taking distance, a behavior that would be normal if I was advocating for my need would be hey, I noticed that you're a little di I noticed that maybe you're not texting as much. Here's what I need. Are you capable of giving that to me? And when the other person says no, if I don't listen, and now I go into more people pleasing more attempts to connect, I'm abandoning myself. If I say to someone, Hey, here's what I want to create in a relationship and the other person says, I don't really want that. If I chase that, I'm self abandoning. If someone says to me, hey, I actually want to create that, and I'm like, all right, here's what that looks like for me. What does that look like for you? Okay, here's what it looks like for me.
Speaker 5: And you know.
Speaker 1: In stan Tekin's work, he's a famous researcher on relationships and marriage, he said that the failure of almost all relationships is the failure to create agreements at the beginning.
Speaker 5: So when we look at that, Okay, I'm willing to do that.
Speaker 1: Here's what that looks like and the other person doesn't actually do it, and I continue to try to convince them, change them, move them, shift them, read this book, here's a here's the thing, I'm self abandoning because I'm going into this convincing mode. As soon as you leave your center, your self abandoning. And for a lot of us, leaving our center is actually what's familiar. For others, staying in their center without any leaning is actually how they move out of relationship. What I mean is some people prioritize connection to other over their connection to self. That's usually anxiously attached. Other people prioritize themselves over their relationship to other, that's avoidantly attached. Secure is your needs matter as much as my own? And I'm always drawn by a quote from the Gotments, again super famous marriage and family researchers, and they said, if there's one thing that is clear about masters of relationship is that they do not leave their partner in suffering.
Speaker 5: They repair, They repair, they repair.
Speaker 1: So when I think about this process, you know, getting back to your original question, A long way around the barn, as a friend of mine would say, I think about that conversation that hey like, I love you. This is what I want to create. If you want to create that, great, If you don't, I love you. I mean that was how many years ago, Probably three years, so that was forty one years in the making. So you know, there was a lot of conversations I didn't have that were present in that moment. There were a lot of times that I'd stayed with someone who wasn't choosing me, or stayed with someone who betrayed me. There was a lot of moments that led to that moment. So it wasn't something that took the momentum of just a pep talk. It was sitting with truth that I had not been fully present and had my own back in so many connections. And I worked with a sematic therapist, and at this point I had a course on boundaries, So let's be very honest here, and I remember saying to the sematic therapist like, I've got great boundaries, like blah blah blah, And we went into how I felt, how my nervous system felt when I said, here's what I want, here's the and I realized that I had so many expressed boundaries, but I kept leaving myself in the circumstances, so I'd say the thing, Hey, you know, this is what I want to create. But it wasn't until that moment, which was in a kitchen, which is where so many conversations happen. It wasn't until that moment I was finally at the place of no more. I was finally at the place of no more, and I was finally at the place where I couldn't keep going the way I was going.
Speaker 5: And you know, when I was working.
Speaker 1: With a psychotherapist, I just had this deep moment of awareness where I was like, where did I learn that that was okay? Like, where did I learn that a relationship that doesn't fully choose me which was my norm, or if it wasn't it was because I didn't fully choose another because I was terrified of being mad.
Speaker 5: But I was like, where did I learn that?
Speaker 1: I didn't really have an answer yet in that moment, but I just remember grieving because I grieved every moment that I stayed with someone who didn't choose me, which means I wasn't choosing myself, which at the end of the day, if I was really taking responsibility for myself.
Speaker 5: They were a perfect reflection that what I thought I was.
Speaker 1: Getting from them, which was finally completing this wound was never going to be found through them, it was only ever going to be found through me.
Speaker 5: And that's when I started.
Speaker 1: I mean, it really brought full circle so much of my work, because I really we all have this thing that we desperately chase in relationship, and sometimes it's space, that's what generally looks a little different, but it's usually understanding, safety, love, connection, choice. There's always an underlying thing. And the question that really gets to that is you just ask yourself, what is the thing you wanted most as a child and you didn't get That's usually the thing you chase in partnership, and it's usually what your partner has a hard time giving you, and vice versa. And I realized that it was through giving those things to yourself that sometimes the relationship could deepen because both people have to move beyond their wounds, which is what brought them together. But other times it's actually what fractures the relationship. But either way you're both liberated from the wound. And so that conversation was one of the hardest conversations I've ever had. But I got to tell you, there was sort of like a weird swagger after because I could feel this like return of myself full south, and I could feel that I actually had my own back now. That like, if I had to choose between connection to another person and being my greatest fan, my greatest arbiter, my greatest everything, I was going to choose that. And in doing that, I mean, it liberated her because no longer was her desire to would I be okay without her? Would she still be loved? She was like, oh, I'm free to choose, he still will love me. And that was true, that was proven in how we ended. I hope that answers your question.
Speaker 4: It does. Would you consider yourself an anxiously attached person before that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm definitely more prone to that.
Speaker 1: You know, I got a little creative in my twenties and started to mix it up with some avoidance just to keep people.
Speaker 5: On their toes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm definitely much more prone to anxiety. That's sort of my default. If there's instability, you know, anxiously attached people have incredibly unconscious. Their ability to be attuned to facial expression and micromotor movements is really heightened. So that's what makes anxiously attach to people generally really good at things like sales or empathic work.
Speaker 4: You know. Yeah, so you had that conversation, and then how soon after that did you guys make the decision to separate. Probably about a week, okay, So it happened pretty quickly. We had had those conversations a few times, like, let's say, over four months, we'd had conversations about the possibility. We did sort of one last hail Mary. We did a weekend with the therapist, and when we left that, we came back and you know, we just got to that place that the only thing left to do was not be together anymore. So that conversation had led to the therapist weekend. So by the time, yeah, we actually officially we actually went to go on a break first, which I have a lot of thoughts on breaks.
Speaker 1: I don't actually think they're generally functional. I think they're generally tearing down of the relationship to make it less painful, especially for the person ending it. But within about three days of the break initiating, I was like, this break isn't going to work for me, Like I just feel like we're in more ambivalence and I'm still in a place where you're deciding the depth of intimacy and connection and I'm not into that anymore. And so you wanted, in a sense to take the power back and say I'm not doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Instead of being in a position of waiting, waiting, wondering, wondering, hoping, hoping, you just said enough, I'm not getting what I need here, I don't want.
Speaker 5: This, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was like I had spent so long, so much of my adult life and relationships where people were deciding what they were ready for, what they could give, and I was like, I'm not into that anymore. It's not hot, yep, it's not attractive. There was just that switch that went in me that was like, doesn't feel good. And it was a familiar feeling I wanted to get rid of because it was a constant longing, just a longing. And when I could be with that and be like, what am I going to do with this longing? Oh, I'm longing for myself. I know that sounds so cheesy, but it was like the absolute truth. I was longing for myself, the fullness of myself, to have my boundaries, have my voice, to get up the people pleasing bullshit and That's why sobriety is so connected to all of that, because so much of it is avoidance of deep feelings. Feelings we don't know how to navigate feelings. We're afraid we're going to be swallowed by and that's why community so important. But also because we're so used to doing what the group does. Think about how many people relapse or how many people continue a behavior because the group around them does. And I was just done with any of that, any symptom of that behavior. I was like, I gotta, I gotta be done.
Speaker 4: That's a really powerful story, and I feel like I could go into it a whole lot more, but I'm going to put a pause on that for now and change directions just a little bit. And I want to talk about You have a newsletter. It's on substack, and I don't know if you end all of them this way, but I noticed one post you ended your sign off was trust, Trust, trust, and love. What do you trust in? This is a big one for me, right But you know, I feel like with my working with spiritual directors and different people, over time, inevitably we get back to trust what do you trust? And I think it's a really interesting question, and so when I saw that in you, I was kind of just curious, to you, what are you saying trust in?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, that's the only one I've signed off on. I think like that catcha I think. I mean, I've written hundreds, so maybe I've done it before. But you know, I keep being reminded, through my own journey and through my own work that nothing is by accident, you know, and what we're drawn towards, what breaks our heart. All these things are just so I don't want to minimize someone's experience, so when I say this, I'm not doing that. But they're so perfectly designed, you know. I have a friend named John Morrow, and he says, if you want to find what you love, find what breaks your heart.
Speaker 5: And that's been true of my own journey.
Speaker 1: My own mission has been like the things that have shattered me, or the things that have deepened me, or the things that have grown me, that when I learned finally to turn towards them with a curious eye. Which doesn't mean I'm not in the depths of total suffering and need a friend to hold me while I'm doing that, But I really found that so much of my transformation and the things I'm brought alive by, they're not by accident. And I think the reason I wrote that specific one is because I needed to remind myself that that's true. I used to be a pharmaceutical rep actually for like fourteen years, and I was in that industry and I was living the life I was taught to want. And when I finally started writing about relationship and you know, I went back to school and studied positive psychology.
Speaker 5: And I was ready to leap.
Speaker 1: I remember talking to people and they'd say, just leap and the universe will catch you. And I was like, that's so romantic and terrifying and are you high?
Speaker 5: Like how you know?
Speaker 1: But you know, when I finally gave my notice, and you know, I left like a really secure job, very golden handcuffy. You know, I was making great money. I had a freaking car, you know, a company car. Everything was great, but it wasn't. And you know, I remember saying to people, I want to do this. I want to tour the world. I want to speak about relationships. I want to teach people through what I've been through. And they would say, ah, why are you not grateful for what you have? As if longing for something different. It means you're not grateful, means you can't have more. And I think it's because so many people are stuck in mediocrity and afraid of their own potential that you stepping into yours threatens their untapped potential, makes them feel shame about the choices they're might not making, which is much like when people get sober, the people around them who know that they want to get sober get triggered by your own choice, which is not different than stepping into your full potential. So for me, really moving into that space of trusting was the first time I gave my notice. And I remember my boss at the time, she was incredible. She was like, can you just stay till June? And I'd give it my notice for April and I like checked in.
Speaker 5: My body and I was like no. There was like you can't.
Speaker 1: And my dad said to me when I was leaving that job, why don't you just take a leave of absence. I was like, Dad, that's like saying I don't believe. And I knew that I needed to go to the island and burn the boat. I knew that I needed to jump, and the universe caught me, you know, it really did, and not only that, it gave me more than I ever imagined, and it brought me here, you know today, to have a conversation. I had a conversation with you yesterday that was beautiful, like to have a conversation, to be able to share with people listening.
Speaker 5: And I think you don't know where this stuff's going to bring you.
Speaker 1: All you think about is the things you're going to lose, But you don't think about the things you're going to gain because they're not measurable yet, They're just a feeling. And if we're not used to trusting feelings, especially if we're not connected to our intuition, this is sometimes the step back into that that space of like trusting, Like if we could trust someone else's truth, that's their truth, when we can embrace theirs, it's because we're able to embrace ours, you know. And I think when we can be with that, like if we have un listened to voices, if we have things that are calling to us, which I have had, and I'm like, no, no, I got to keep doing the same thing. I gotta still talk about the same things. I got to do what works. And I just kept realizing like here I am not trusting again. What happens when cells start not doing what they're supposed to do, not following their intuition, not following their program, you know, in a positive way, they become.
Speaker 5: Cancer, you know.
Speaker 1: And I thought, I'm trying to fight the universe. And I remember when Kay and I broke up. I was out at this area in Washington called Mount Baker and I was meditating. I was in the forest, rainforest, it was like perfect, and this white butterfly flew up the river in front of me. And I remember thinking to myself, like, what do butterflies even do?
Speaker 5: You know? I didn't know. I don't even know what they do.
Speaker 1: They become tattoos, I know that, but they don't do a whole lot. But I thought, like, he's not or she or whatever is not thinking about what their job is, like they're just doing it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I remember getting hit by this from you know, whatever is And it was at what moment did you think you were God? That you thought you knew better than what was being called towards you. I tried to force that relationship for so long because I thought I knew better, But inevitably you end up where you're being called towards whether you're go screaming or not, you know. And I think about the nudges we get from the universe are usually subtle, but then they get not so subtle. They become cosmic too, by fours, you know, and they become cosmic dump trucks.
Speaker 5: And I think.
Speaker 1: What I forget is that we might not like the uncomfortable truth we have, but trying to avoid knowing it is what leads to again to more addictions. You know. I just grieve so many times in my life that I've done that that I didn't trust, the feeling that I didn't listen, and you know, I've done it recently again in my life in not a bad way, but in the way that you continue to learn that you're like, oh, this is how it works, and it's how nails grow, it's how hair grows, well most hair, not all my hair, but you know, it's it's how it works. And I think we forget that. And so trust Trust Trust was like, hey, like, I know this is a big ask, but I know, you know, and I know for me, when I didn't like something being true, I tried to do all the research in the world to figure out that.
Speaker 5: It was anything but what I knew.
Speaker 4: Yep, thanks for all that. That's really powerful. I guess I will say I'm not a person that tends to believe that everything happens for a reason.
Speaker 5: I wish I believed that.
Speaker 4: I tend to more believe that, you know, not everything happens for the best, but we can make the best out of everything that happens. And I think that's partially where my trust issues are. Is like, I don't feel like there's any actual f and plan out there. It feels like chaos. But something you said did resonate with me, which is that I can trust in some of my inner truth Now I think as an addict and as somebody who used to be very anxiously attached, and then as I said, I'm sort of avoidant or anxiously although in my most recent relationship I actually have been able to step out of both of those roles by and large.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 4: And so what I was saying is, you know that idea of trusting your intuition is hard for me because my intuition and again it's hard to tell intuition from dysfunction sometimes, right, you know, my dysfunction screamed a lot of things to me that seemed really true and really loud, that feel very similar to what intuition can feel like, like it's this inner knowing, agreed, you know? And I have always wrestled with is this you know? Okay, this inner knowing you know?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 4: But but when you said, like, you know, there are times that we just know the truth. That's been my experience. Like it took me a long time to get sober, but my inner truth knew for a long time that what I was doing was deeply problematic, right, I wasn't ready. I didn't know how to change it. I wasn't ready to change it. I didn't have the tools to change it. Lots of different things, but I would say probably nine months into my drinking career, I knew like, oh shit, something is a miss here, like something's wrong here. And again, it still took me like nine years to find my way out. I recognize that, like, there are some deeper truths that we do know, and they can be really hard to face, but facing them is the way back to ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it absolutely is. You know that question of how do I distinguish truth from dysfunction. There's a question that doctor Alexander Salmon asked, which is is this my trauma or my truth?
Speaker 5: That can be hard to swim through.
Speaker 1: But I think if you ask the question, which I know you suggest, asking the question is this thought real?
Speaker 5: Is this thought true?
Speaker 1: That's where we begin to build discernment about the information that's coming in and out of us. And that question isn't my trauma or my truth? We're going to get an answer that we're gonna probably not like the answer generally, you know, because it's going to call us to sit a little longer in something that normally, if it's trauma especially, is something that regulates us, attempts to regulate us, something that attempts to soothe a feeling that we haven't sat in. So, you know, when I think about being able to differentiate something that's intuition versus something that's let's say avoidance, I think about things like work, and what I mean by that is it's easy for us to contextualize what feels right for us and work and what doesn't. And so if I said to someone, hey, you're going to get this job, it's basically the same job as the one you have it pays about the same. You're going to have to do some other things. They're going to be a bit unfamiliar. Or here's this job. It's going to demand so much more of you, more than you even know as possible right now. It's going to require that you grow, it's going to require that you learn, and it's going to pay a bit more, maybe maybe even the same. But the possibility of what's created from what is going to be asked of you, and we can both sit with that and be like, Okay, am I afraid to choose this because I just genuinely don't want to? Or am I afraid to choose it because it's going to ask a version of me that doesn't exist yet? And for me, that's how I sort of lean into like do I not want to do this? Or do I whatever the behavior is, But I'm giving the example of not do I not want to do this because of it's just genuine or do I not want to do it because I don't even know the mark that can do that yet? And that's stepping ourselves into unfamiliar territory that could be like do I want to step towards this relationship like a lot of people will ask questions like how do I know if I should stay or leave in a relationship? That's a very common question, and there's a lot of complexity to that question. One of them is what is your pattern, Like would be growing for you staying because you leave things when they get hard, or would growing for you be leaving because you stay in things too long? And you know, there's so many great questions that need to be asked of that. But that's one way of just beginning to look and differentiating what you're inviting, which is being able to see what is intuition. And the other way to really do that is to do small habits. There's a saying that the opposite of trauma's choice, and so let's say you make the commitment that you're going to make your bed every day. The reason that's such a powerful choice to make and to actually do is not because it's nice having a made bed, although it is, is because you're doing something you say you're going to do, so you can trust your own choices. That way, when you get into giant decisions, you actually have a relationship with your own word and a relationship with yourself. That's why it seems like an arbitrary thing, but it's not arbitrary at all, because you know, if you say I'm going to go for a walk every day or let's say five days a week, which is probably more achievable, as you've shared, it's a more achievable thing, and you don't go, and you say to yourself, well, I'm the only one who knows I didn't go, So it's no harm to anybody, but it's actually a harm to your own hide key too. So you choose goals that are achievable, choose things that you know you can keep your word towards. And also, you know, as you shared on my podcast, if your pattern is to be really hard on yourself, then the other pattern is to learn how to soften but also keep your word, because you know, as they say in the Four Agreements, you are your word, you got nothing else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I often think that a meta skill for life is the ability to make and keep promises to yourself, right, Like, that is what so much of this is about, and it's why our inability to change behavior sometimes can be so I think psychologically devastating is because we make promises to ourselves but we don't have the capacity.
Speaker 5: To keep them.
Speaker 4: I was on your show and we talked a lot about how I don't think that's a moral failing. It's that you don't have the skills and the tools and the know how. I think of it as a puzzle. There's a reason that you're unable to keep these promises to yourself. Maybe you're making promises that are too big for yourself. Maybe you don't have the proper support. Maybe. I mean, there's a thousand different reasons.
Speaker 5: But to me, the.
Speaker 4: Game is always bigger than are you meditating every day? Are you exercising every day?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Those things are hugely important, like you know, I mean I think they're really important, you know, to our overall health and well being. But there's another cost there, and that cost is I don't believe in trust myself because I say I'm going to do X, Y and Z, and then I don't do it. And what most people do, again is take that as some personal failure versus a huh, this is a puzzle that I haven't figured out yet.
Speaker 5: Why is this?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: And all sorts of things affect it. But I agree with you that that's why those little decisions like making your better, actually bigger decisions than they seem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, the other part that I find is really interesting about the human experience is that we might actually have never had modeled promises being kept. So what's familiar to our nervous system is actually feeling let down, and so we don't know what it's like to rely on someone. And so when we start to be able to rely on ourselves, which is when we stop chasing that from other people's security, safety, all that kind of stuff, when we start to be able to rely on ourselves is unfamiliar. And I think what happens too, when let's say we start to choose ourselves, we start to set boundaries, we start to keep our word to ourselves. There is a grief that will come with the change in behavior, because you will grieve all the times you didn't, and so there's an awareness that comes with transformation that grief is just the beautiful price of emission. You know, there's a saying that grief is love that has nowhere to go. I don't necessarily agree with that, yeah, because I actually think grief is love. I think grief is the experience of loss, but that's only because of the you have for love. And so when you live a new moment as a new you, and you grieve the moments you didn't do that you're actually there needs to be an awareness of gratitude for who you've been, because we normally take the parts of ourselves that we're ashamed of the choice if we've made the bad things we've done quote unquote, and we put them in a box and we are ashamed of them and we don't want to look at them.
Speaker 5: But actually, part of really true.
Speaker 1: Healing and letting go is being able to say thank you by integrating the wisdom that comes from the mistake. If you don't integrate the wisdom because you're hiding it away in a box and you don't want to look at it, you're robbing yourself of total transformation. You're robbing yourself of the untapped potential of the mistakes you've made. And when you can finally use the loss, the thing that whatever, to actually become something, then it actually gives your pain purpose and it allows it to move through you into possibility. And so if you're familiar with being let down, familiar with not being enough, familiar with rumination, imagine if you start to step into possibility, reliability, potential. You talked about on my podcast the need.
Speaker 5: To have hope.
Speaker 1: Well, hope is something that you also create. You know, it's not just something that we might experience through someone else's story or someone else's experience. I know many people have been brought alive by what you do and the stories you share and all the things, and it.
Speaker 5: Awakens in someone what's already in them. Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I think that is a beautiful place for us to wrap up. Mark, I've really enjoyed this. I loved getting to dive deep on this idea of not abandon in a variety of different contexts. Well of links in the show notes to where all your stuff is. If you want to just tell people real quick, that'd be great.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So any courses that I have one called Rediscovery your wholeness that's all about stepping into your full self. And another one on dating, which is about turning dating into transformative healing process. It's called dating one to one and one for breakups again using breakups as the vehicle for evolutions. So you can get all that, as you were saying Eric at Create Thelove dot Com.
Speaker 5: So links will be in the show notes. Awesome, thanks Eric, I really appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you Mark.
Speaker 2: If what you just heard was helpful to you, please consider making a monthly donation to support the One You Feed podcast. When you join our membership community. With this monthly pledge, you get lots of exclusive members only benefits. It's our way of saying thank you for your support now. We are so grateful for the members of our community. We wouldn't be able to do what we do without their support, and we don't take a single dollar for granted. To learn more, make a donation at any level and become a member of the one You Feed community, go to oneufeed dot net slash join The One You Feed Podcast. Would like to sincerely thank our sponsors for supporting the show.