Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final.
Speaker 2: Hour in this Monday, come on in, We'll talk to Adam VINIZERI Hall of Fame kicker Hail join us. Coming up here in a little bit. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. And Wednesday's the deadline to get in your yearbook photo. We want the most awkward worst. I don't want beautiful glam shots here, I want awkward yearbook photos. DP Calendar twenty twenty seven at gmail dot com. Got to get it in by the end of Wednesday's show, because then I'm out of the office for Thursday and Friday. Tony Realey will be sitting in the chair, but heading out for the wedding. The world's best amateur golfers go to Marion Golf Club and a shot at one of the game's most prestigious titles. Live coverage of the US Amateur Championship that'll be on NBC and Peacock coming up next weekend. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, download the app if you haven't done so. If you'd like to watch the program. Eight seven seven three DP Show email id dore A Stpatdanpatrick dot com, twitter handle at DP show Adam Viniti, who knew he's up there taking shots at people. Roastmaster General there the Hall of Famer joining us on the program. All right, did you run your speech by anybody before you gave it this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, honestly, my speech.
Speaker 5: My oldest son, AJ and I kind of worked on my speech from the get go, kind of bouncing jokes off each other. My wife, who hadn't heard the speech, just heard some of the jokes. She told me exactly what you said. You can't turn her Hall of Fame speech, you know, a thank you to everybody into a roast. And I said, I'm not. I'm throwing some jokes, but I'm reeling it back in and giving guys love in the process. So I finally had to sit her down, give her the speech, and then she was like, okay, these are pretty good, going to be all.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay the Pat McAfee line. Your wife was fine with that joke too well.
Speaker 4: Pat said it a.
Speaker 5: Hundred times on his show, so she's heard it a bunch of times. I threw a little spin just to make it funny. But she it took a little bit of convincing, but I think after she heard it about a dozen times, it desensitized her a little bit and she was like, all right, it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 4: But all eyes and all cameras were on her right.
Speaker 3: Have you heard from Coach Belichick?
Speaker 6: I have not yet.
Speaker 3: I have not yet.
Speaker 5: Brady reached out to me said, really funny, I hope you have a hangover this morning kind of thing the following day.
Speaker 4: So I have not heard from Coach yet.
Speaker 2: What about Peyton was in the audience, He was fine with the forehead joke.
Speaker 4: He was He thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 5: I'm sure his brother teases him about that, so that's always kind of the thing that people like to give him a little crap about. So, you know, everything that I said was all in fun love. Obviously, I love all those guys. I wouldn't mention them if they didn't mean the world to me. So hopefully, and here's the other thing. There's a couple of those guys that I threw a couple jokes at. Hopefully we'll be on the stage here very soon and they'll get their opportunity to throw it back at me.
Speaker 2: Compare the nerves of going on and doing your speech to kicking a game winning field goal.
Speaker 4: Kicking a game winning field goal is easier.
Speaker 5: I think it was funny all of all of the older guys that you know came up to us, and they all had bets on who was gonna cry or who was gonna cry first.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a common thing that.
Speaker 5: You get emotional, and to be honest with you, I had the toughest time until the morning of.
Speaker 4: I just repped it so many times to try to get.
Speaker 5: It a little bit less desensitized in me because I couldn't get through it without getting emotional.
Speaker 4: And then I saw my dad when I started.
Speaker 5: Mentioning it to him, and then it screwed me up because I lost my train of thought.
Speaker 4: And then now I'm now now I'm all messed up myself. So I literally at.
Speaker 5: That point had to look away from my family at the other teleprompter because I'm like, if I look at them.
Speaker 4: I'm going to lose it. So tried to be as professional as I could kind of sort.
Speaker 3: Of do you feel different today?
Speaker 5: You know, it's one of those situations that you dream about it all your life and and then you get the knock on the door, and then it's all about it's game week again, right preparation, making sure that you do the right things and say the right things, and and and it was funny because I was really really nervous sitting there listened in to Fitzgerald's speech, knowing that I was going to be up in fifteen minutes later.
Speaker 4: But there was a weird calmness when I when.
Speaker 5: I watched the video and Boom was talking about the stories and and then I was just like, you know what this is, this is what we do. You're prepared, You're you're ready to go. And I think that as holds true with football as well. If if you're out, if you practice and you're prepared and you do everything right, then then when it's game time, it comes easier.
Speaker 4: So I won't lie to you.
Speaker 5: I was nervous for the last several months writing the speech and thinking about who I need to add, and and then for actually, you can't talk about everybody, Coach Dungee Bill Pulling like, there's so many people out there that I wish I had more time to think. But this was maybe one of those speeches that you didn't want to get mentioned in because if you did, you're getting roasted. So probably those guys are sitting back, please don't mention my name of.
Speaker 3: This Who was the Hall of Famer you wanted to meet?
Speaker 4: Oh man, there's so many.
Speaker 5: I tell you what, Joe Green did an incredible toast in the bus room when it was just us Hall of famers. I mean, I look around and you know, Ronnie Lott sat next to us in the Nicheke the ray Nichke luncheon because obviously he played with Roger Craig, and you know, and I just everywhere I look, I saw my heroes.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was the most incredible time sitting in front of the team photo and there's one hundred and twenty plus.
Speaker 4: Us New five guys. It was.
Speaker 5: It was really really humbling, just because even at my earliest memories, you know Franco Harris and Lynn Swan and you know Terry Bradshaw and then then you know, and I'm obviously mentioning the Pittsburgh Steelers, but but you know, Joe Montagne, like all of these guys that when I grew up as a kid, I just idolized them. I dreamt that someday I would meet them, and and now I get to be on the same team as them, right and and them just welcoming. They don't care if you're a kicker, they don't care what position you played. Everybody in that organization or and that fraternity now we're all brothers. And and it's you lose football once you once you step away from the game.
Speaker 4: The thing that I feel like that I miss.
Speaker 5: The most is the locker room, the you know, the just being around the guys, the banter, guys teasing each other and talking trash to each other, and being back in that situation was well humbling. I got goosebumps talking about it right now. But it was just so great to know that you're part of a family that they say you can't ever get cut from. You're you're you're a member for life and eternity, I guess right.
Speaker 4: So it was really really a wide experience.
Speaker 2: He's Adam Viniti Hall of Fame kicker and won four Super Bowls. If I'm going to take one kick out of your career, what's the one that you say that one.
Speaker 5: Would I would say the game tying Divisional playoff game, the snow Bowl, tough rule, whatever. When you want to call it. That's the one that I'm absolutely the most proud of. You could have made a tougher situation down by three Blizzard playoff game. You miss it, You're cleaning out your locker the next day, and just the sure difficulty of making that I still wonder I watched it. Anytime it's on, I have to watch it because I'm still blown away that I made that kick because of the intensity of it. Can never you can never discount your dream come true as a kicker of thinking about.
Speaker 4: You know, being you know, kicking a game winning Super Bowl kick.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's that's absolutely the thing that I dreamt about the most in my entire life as a kid.
Speaker 4: All the way tell the moment what that had happened.
Speaker 5: But the one that I'm the most proud of is the one in the snow because just out of the difficulty, but whenever you can end a Super Bowl and your world champions coming off of the coming off your foot, I think that's probably one of the greatest moments as well.
Speaker 3: You got a Brady story I haven't heard, you know.
Speaker 4: I just I admire him so much.
Speaker 5: You know, obviously we've all seen his draft day photos and and how he started and then how he you know, when he came in, when when when Bloodsoa got injured that game, and watching how great of a teammate he was, and how hard he worked to take care of his body, into how he studied and how he led the team.
Speaker 4: There's just so many things that when I think of Tom.
Speaker 5: Brady and and his his greatness, it's I just like I said in my speech, I was so honored that our paths came together and we got to write that story together. Obviously I left and and he uh, he continued on and kept on that dynasty and his legacy for many many more years.
Speaker 4: But how we all started it together.
Speaker 5: Those guys on that two thousand and one team, you know, they're just as much my true brothers is my biological.
Speaker 4: Genetic brothers, their family like anybody else. For sure.
Speaker 2: My guy Fritzie, who is the one who books the guest he critiqued your Hall of Fame speech, Todd, would you like to say to Adam what you thought of his speech?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: My concern is.
Speaker 8: When you're doing anything that's in a roasting fashion, or you're making a joke that may or may not call fall flat, That was really basically my only concern as far as the time and place when you're thanking everyone and you're going through your childhood and all the people that came out to see you.
Speaker 9: So that was my big concern.
Speaker 8: You don't want your special moment to be ducked into the Hall of Fame ruined because someone may have gotten offended or took something the wrong way when you were just trying to make a joke or say something like that.
Speaker 9: So that's that was the only point I want to well.
Speaker 4: And what I tried to do.
Speaker 5: I started heartfelt, obviously talked about you know, my family and what they meant to me, come my grassroots from South Dakota and just along the way how I got there. And then obviously I wanted to keep the Hall of famers. You know, the guys that were sitting on the stage, they always tell us, hey, man, make it short, like don't we don't want to be sleeping up here. They give you, you know, put a little pressure on you, right, So I said, I'm going to make it entertaining. And then the heartfelt part, the hardest part for me is when I was addressing football, I wanted to make it be you're a person, and how do I thank you for it?
Speaker 4: I tried to make it poetic at the end, right, And that was the hardest part for me.
Speaker 5: Every time I did that, I literally would be wiping tears away from my face.
Speaker 4: And so I wanted it to start sentimental. I wanted to.
Speaker 5: Make people laugh, and then I wanted to end it with a bang at the end.
Speaker 4: So hopefully I accomplished that.
Speaker 5: If if people got offended or thought it was inappropriate, I apologize to you.
Speaker 2: Guys, butize to anything to Todd's the buzzkill Adam, I will.
Speaker 8: Add, I'm a huge bronco then, so anybody associated with the patriots and cults, you got to understand with the wink that I'm going to be.
Speaker 3: Critical before you say one word line. It's okay, right, Adam Todd.
Speaker 2: Todd was critical of your speech until he found out we were going to have you on, and then all of a sudden he started to backtrack a little bit on that he was He was critical of Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame speech as well. Just want to just want to let you know you're in good company there. Congrats, thank you, yeah, and uh, you're a Hall of Famer Man feels wonderful.
Speaker 4: I never knew gold looked that good on me.
Speaker 5: I'm definitely tickle pink, and I just it's still it's weird to even say it hasn't one hundred percent sunken in yet.
Speaker 4: But uh, you know, my class.
Speaker 5: I couldn't have been more honored listening to their speeches and being around them for the last seven months, just the pros pros. I just got to develop great relationships with those guys, and I'm so happy that I'm going to be able to share that and be part of their class forever.
Speaker 2: Maybe Gronk goes in next year and you'll and Belichick that's right, yeah, good.
Speaker 5: And then obviously Brady the following year. I mean that I would be I mean that's a that's a guarantee you.
Speaker 3: I would have thought you would go in before Belichick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's pretty wild, for sure.
Speaker 3: I want to go to Gronk's party the after party, Oh me too.
Speaker 4: Hopefully he invites me.
Speaker 5: We weren't we weren't. We're obviously both Patriots, not all both. But here's the thing, right when you're a gold jacket, you get a bounce around and go to the party, so even if he doesn't invite him anyway, Thank you, Adam, thank you, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Adam vin Terry Hall of Famer, Todd.
Speaker 9: Hall of Famer, Adam Vinari have the patriots and cults.
Speaker 3: Okay, you didn't think I was going to call you out, did you?
Speaker 8: As the interview was going by him like, I think he's gonna maybe give me a reprieve and he's.
Speaker 9: Not going to come to it. But we just snuck it in there.
Speaker 10: Yes, Dylan, I thought, as far as backtracks go, that was actually pretty well executed.
Speaker 5: Credit about all the time.
Speaker 8: Anyway, do you want to say someone that can take away from your special day in your in your history of your life.
Speaker 9: It's like, that was great thing. He's a Hall famous but why do you make that comment about Belichick or Peyton Manning. They got upset about it.
Speaker 2: He talked about how he's gonna miss the camaraderie of giving each other grief in the locker room.
Speaker 3: That's probably last call for him.
Speaker 9: You're in the bus.
Speaker 2: If you add problems with Michael Jordan's retirement Hall of Fame speech.
Speaker 8: I was ready to critique Adam before he said one word up then because of New England.
Speaker 3: And he's still listening though.
Speaker 11: I'm sure he's got this, he's got this puzzled look there, he's not leaving Todd.
Speaker 9: He's got one more cold jacket than I have.
Speaker 4: I'm still listening.
Speaker 9: Four rings and a gold jacket, God bless him.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, well, take a break. That's Hall of Famer Adam Vinitterry. Oh my goodness, you came in in a buzz well you always are in it.
Speaker 9: I really thought you were gonna let me off the hook. It was about seven eight minutes in and you hadn't mentioned it.
Speaker 10: No, yes, Dylan, it was like eleven ten. I was like, there's no way letting Todd off the hook. And then just all right, I think we're done. Actually, Todd, my guy, that books.
Speaker 9: Are really is what you're gonna do.
Speaker 2: But just when you were critical of this speech and then you found out he was going to join us, and then you started to backtrack so much.
Speaker 9: He's gonna say things, but you don't have to say a face defence. When you made me a person, shouted trouphle, he's sitting in there next year. Really you're gonna make me do that?
Speaker 2: Now that was funny. Though I hope he took it this time. I don't think that he did not. I don't think Shannon Sharp thought that was funny.
Speaker 9: That being said, I think a Barcolm.
Speaker 2: If he looked at you, I said, oh, Todd does a great impersonation of you. And he looked over and he's like, and then you started with your Shannon Shark.
Speaker 8: Then I patted his arm afterwards and it was a brick wall that I was touching with his bicep.
Speaker 9: My mom, and this guy's gonna kill me.
Speaker 3: When he looked at you and he unhappy.
Speaker 9: I don't think here's that that I'll me about. It is not really a positive impersonation.
Speaker 3: Let me hear it again.
Speaker 12: I think Denver brock with and Poe Nick the cook over Everywhere to Go, and I think you'll go with THO ball.
Speaker 9: I think it called they should have got a tough ball after you. But bog out her bad. You're gonna go super with you.
Speaker 3: We're definitely not getting them on.
Speaker 9: It's not looking good right now.
Speaker 2: How thout we take a break, uh as we always do every Monday, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like we'll be back after this on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w app.
Speaker 6: So that gots here.
Speaker 13: I have a podcast empire.
Speaker 3: It continues to grow, and I.
Speaker 13: Have brought it here to iHeart. I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because my wife wanted to kick me out of the house. It's called Stegatzi Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes. Every six goal today. Some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone.
Speaker 14: Calls, I love you guys show.
Speaker 5: It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 13: A lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you could expect from Stu Gottson Company and ste Gotson Company Live. So listen to Steve Gotson Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football. Taylor's livelihood depends on it. You do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get.
Speaker 3: Your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Since I'm a big horse racing guy. Now, we just got invited to the Breeders' Cup that's in Lexington, Kentucky. That'll be at Keenland and that'll be the end of October. They wanted to know if we wanted to go there. I have to find out if my three year old Philly Counting Stars will be raed seeing there at Keenlin.
Speaker 10: Yes, Dylan, if Counting Stars is racing, are we going?
Speaker 2: I'd have to talk to the big german since he does all of our road trips. But I don't know. I think if I owned a piece of the horse, not just I'm a friend of somebody who owns a piece of the horse, then maybe may if they give me like five percent of the horse gift you No, no, I mean I'll have to buy five percent of the horse.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that's going to cost.
Speaker 2: But if I get five percent, then maybe I would go to the Breeders' Cup.
Speaker 15: Yes, Pa, I found a couple articles here just from last week that it's not official, but Counting Stars tracking towards being in the breeders Tracking.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's that might be the best three year old Philly in America, and if one of the Ortize brothers is the jockey, then she's gonna win again.
Speaker 10: Yes, Dylan, Kay, I think Jason Worth owns ten percent of a Jason Worth, the former MLB player who won the Belmont Steak stand. So he's got ten percent of that horse and he's everywhere.
Speaker 2: I saw him at Saratoga. Yeah, haear is still long and flowing. And I saw Flavor Flave. Of course, I don't know what horse. It was one of those where you go there's a guy with a clock around his net.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's Flavor Flame. Of course. You would see him at Saratoga.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul Breeders Cup late October, Kentucky Foliage. Bourbon in the air.
Speaker 5: What.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've done that. The Bourbon trail.
Speaker 2: If you ever get a chance, all the different distilleries down there is bourbon still a big thing. It felt like it was a big thing and then all of a sudden it like it feels like alcohol is shifting here, like they you drink a lot of those high noon you know kind of stuff like that. Dylan, Yeah, low carbon, of course, But I don't know if people are drinking like hard liquor the way they used to. I have a friend who's a liquor salesman, and he said, things are changing, you know that maybe you're not drinking wine in what we normally drink, Like there's a different wine.
Speaker 16: I don't know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I think almost. In like the way fashion is, there's sort of a cyclical nature. So like bourbon, like you said, was huge, Like you go to a liquor store and there's an entire wall that's just bourbon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And I think like tequila became really popular where it used to be like there's four tequilas and now there's a million gin.
Speaker 3: At one point. So I think they all kind of have their time in the sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like that that, like tequila. I remember growing up, I would never drink tequila. You drink it one time and have a bad day, you never drink it again. Then all of a sudden, somebody will say, man, if you had this tequila and then you take a sip like you drink it properly. You know, back when you're in high school or college, you're like, yeah, I'll take that. I was drinking boons Farm back then.
Speaker 15: Yeah, paulin time, Meg magazine had an article just a month ago about the alcoholic consummation in in America and it says there's a number of reasons people are going to bars less. There's health reasons, they even say, like gummies and weed. They it's a combination of all these different reasons. But it's really affecting the liquor business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that makes sense. But yeah, the tequila tastes a lot different. Like you give me a nice repisato, put it on ice, just you know, a nice cube in there. Have a cigar that's good. Tune out the family. It's like a downstairs I've been calling you. Uh, I'm sorry, I couldn't. I couldn't hear you. I was having too good of a time down here. Yes, dull when it's bad.
Speaker 10: We started talked about this the other day with like pizza, even when it's bad, it's good. Tequila of like the well level, yeah booze, when that is the worst of them all, Like bad tequila is worse than bad any other booze.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, there's certain bourbons that you can get, like Buffalo Trace that's not expensive. Now, it might be hard to get in certain areas, but that to me, is a great bargain, delicious. Yeah, Buffalo trace is I don't know what it is depending on where you live, but it's like forty dollars and it is really good tasty. But yeah, bourbon had its moment, and then people get caught up in Papi van Winkle. And I always say, if I gave you three different bourbons and I told you one of them was Papi van Winkle, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If I gave you a fifteen year Pappy, you'd be like, I don't know. But it's the supply and demand. You can't get it now you want it. And then people in the secondary market. I remember meeting Julian van Winkle, so the company is named after his father, but I Julian took over, and he said people come up to him, like at the Kentucky Derby and they get mad. They're like, why you charge so much for your bourbon? He goes, that's the secondary Like they people don't understand. They think that he's the one who is putting, you know, twelve hundred dollars on this bottle of bourbon. He goes, I sell it for the same price. It's the secondary market that drives it, you know, up to a couple of thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dylan, that's I.
Speaker 10: Going to Michael Jordan being like I just paid four thousand dollars for these Jordans.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, we didn't sell me. Yeah, I no.
Speaker 2: But he said people come up to him at the Derby and you know, he's like, should be there taking a victory lap, you know, like I created a great bourbon. He did say something something to me that has stayed with me for a couple of years. He said, I am making bourbon now that I won't be alive to taste, like imagine that. But he's saying, you know, if he does like a twenty one year old, I think is I don't know twenty one or twenty three is their oldest, but he said, you know, at his age and he's probably close to seventy. But he said, I'm making bourbon that I won't be alive to taste when you're ready to taste it at twenty one years. But he did say, get the fifteen. If you're going to ever get a Pappy van winklebottle, get the fifteen. He said, I think it's the true representation of what my bourbon should taste like. I don't know we got started on this, but oh, we're going to Lexington, Kentucky. Now we need to go to Louisville to get the bourbon though. Oh yeah, the bourbon trail there. Let me see a couple of calls David in Knoxville. Good morning, David. What do you have for me today?
Speaker 17: Good morning Dan.
Speaker 18: Just a couple of comments. I really do enjoy my nine am to noon hours because of your show, and I really enjoyed your interviews, especially.
Speaker 17: Like the last two you did.
Speaker 18: I really like Kirk kirk Street and I've met him a couple of times in Nashville, and his take on football is so refreshing. And I too on a Golden Retriever Toby, and I'm in a wheelchair and I walk in through the neighborhood of pe Trot's and I've got a power wheelchair and people will go down the street and roll the windows down and say, hey, Toby's everybody knows him and he loves people.
Speaker 7: And like Kirk was seeing.
Speaker 18: While ago, when he's in the camera, when Peter's in the camera, like Toby, if somebody sees him or calls this name, that taale goes up a little bit higher, that head goes up a little bit higher, those street plants a little bit higher, And he's just a godsend to me. Plus we also have some passive hounds that I'm really partial to you. So just a couple of comments. I just want to tell you that I really enjoyed your show, and thank you so much.
Speaker 2: David, Thank you, thank you. You ever seen a Golden Retriever in a bad mood? Like those dogs are always in a good mood every time you see them. They're like the happiest dogs. You could be gone for five minutes or five months and they treat you the same way, like, I, where are you being? I just went out and got the mail and it came back. Oh I know, okay, yes boy.
Speaker 15: It is the funniest thing. No one's excited as excited as your dog to see you come back from the market.
Speaker 2: I know, I got a cat and that cat couldn't care less. My daughter's got a cat and he can't heaves, Like, hey, what's on?
Speaker 3: Yes, Dylan, well is it?
Speaker 10: Dogs have no concept of like time or object permanent, So the moment you walk out the door.
Speaker 3: They're like, I guess they're dead. I don't know, they're dead to me. They're dead to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Spike in Wisconsin, Hi, Spike, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 16: Good morning Dan. Regarding the Hall of Fame speeches, It's impossible to pick the best, but the funniest of all time was Bob Buker. He no actually had every Hall of Fame or on stage with some in tears crying, and I was just wondering, have you ever heard that? And then also, you know, Bob was only on your show I think twice the first couple of years. Do you have any Bob Buker stories you could share with us?
Speaker 2: I still have his phone number in my phone. I have a voicemail that I kept that he called me. And when he would be on Johnny Carson, right, John, he just let him go. Johnny knew that Bob Bucker was funnier and he made him a star. He just let him go. And Johnny played this straight man brilliantly. When we went to Milwaukee for the Sausage Races and he said, why don't you come up in the booth, And I mean, I was honored that he would say, just come up and you know, sit, I'll talk to you, you know, in between innings. And I was up there for I don't know, probably an hour, and we stayed in touch usually get ready for spring training. I would talk to him or I would text him, and I just you know, he's a legend and he was very gracious with his time when I was around him.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvel.
Speaker 12: When I was a kid and I saw him major League for the first time, I didn't know he was a real baseball announcer. I just thought he was a comic. And they was like, oh, he does for the Brewers. I was like, he.
Speaker 2: Does Aaron and fort Wayne. Aron, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan, thanks for taking my call. I got a best and worst for you. In a comment Stephen Day coming back to the Indiana Hoodis football team, I mean, I felt terrible for him.
Speaker 14: He went down after.
Speaker 7: The Big Ten championship game celebrating like U gave a high five and towards ACL So hopefully you know it plays this year and had maybe a chance to get in the NFL. So feel good for him and the worst of the weekend for me. Stephanie White, the comments she made after the game, After the Fever game, I just think she's really dropping the ball as a Fever coach, like, no matter what, you got to back up your players and just kind of couting the other team and acting like it wasn't dirty. You just got to say it's bush league. You're the coach, say something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you're not all in on it, you still have to have your players backs. And she tried to downplay it a little bit now and I understand it. Look so much of the WA is not about actual basketball, it's everything surrounding it because everybody is going to grab it and make it their agenda. This is what I want to talk about. They're not covering the WNBA. They're covering issues that surround the WNBA. They're using these for their own platforms. But they're they're really good stories, they're really good players.
Speaker 6: It's just.
Speaker 2: That's why I always say, when somebody's talking about the WNBA, let me hear if they're not talking about Caitlin Clark or issues around the WNBA. Count the number of times somebody is talking about the WNBA and they're going to mention some other team or some other player.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marph yeah, ask them the name six other WNBA teams, Oh yeah, or like who has the best record in the WNBA something like that, Just something real general, not any you have to go into the weeds, just real general questions.
Speaker 2: They don't people don't care like that's it's like, wait a minute, who said what?
Speaker 3: Who did what? And it's not just it's not about basketball.
Speaker 2: And that's unfortunate because this should be when we look back on this fifteen twenty years from now, we should be like, oh my god, did they take advantage of that the Golden era?
Speaker 3: They didn't take advantage of it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, Pauling, you could always tell with the timing of coverage on social media too. Let's say an incident happens in the middle of the game. Three hours later, people start reacting on social media because they didn't watch it live, the reaction to the reaction, and so they're all just jumping on the bandwagon for their own agendas, like you said, and look.
Speaker 3: I is that a hard foul and Sophie cunning him? Yes it is.
Speaker 2: But then there's things about Sophie that there's a political side to this, and she's an enforcer, she's done this. Is it a hard basketball play?
Speaker 3: Yes? Is it a flagrant one? Yes? Is it flagrant too? Do you throw her out of the game?
Speaker 2: Now they did upgrade it, but you know you're watching it in real time, and yes, is that a hard foul?
Speaker 3: Yes? But then nobody just looks at it for that.
Speaker 2: It's let's extrapolate and let's talk about all these other things. Then it becomes a global dilemma. And I do not subscribe to any publicity as good publicity. Just ask the commissioner of the WNBA. And I can't imagine she can hang on to this job. I just think you really need to have a fresh face. She has this year coming up, and that's it.
Speaker 3: It feels like you just.
Speaker 2: Need somebody who's out there and talking about these things. And that's all I've ever asked. I like watching the sport. I appreciate the sport. I appreciate those who came before. But you have to be in the now. You've got to be right there. Adam Silver, Rob Manfred and they may not like my line of questioning, but they're there to answer it because I'm the conduit to the audience. I still don't know why Caitlin Clark wasn't on the thirtieth anniversary poster. I've asked, I don't know if it has to do with her side deal with Nike or don't. I don't know anything, but nobody is there to say we're going to answer questions. This should be a time of growth and it's not. They are going to rue the day looking back on this where they had an unbelievable opportunity and they allowed it to slip away. Take a break, Last Call for phone Calls?
Speaker 3: What we Learn? What's in store tomorrow? After this?
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Last call for phone Calls? What we Learn?
Speaker 3: What's in store Tomorrow? On this.
Speaker 2: Often nominated but never winning program, This is the year.
Speaker 3: I think. I think we're winning a Sports Emmy this year. It feels like, you know.
Speaker 6: Are you going, Larry Bird hand up.
Speaker 2: I've done that before where somebody saw our tape and they go, I don't know how you guys don't win, and I go, oh, but we don't win.
Speaker 3: There are yes, we've proven that we can't win.
Speaker 6: We know, ye don't win. We're expertise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, when he goes, I don't know how you guys don't win. Yeah, we're still trying to figure that out too. Maybe this is the year. Maybe I get one posthumously. Oh no, maybe I won't be around to accept it. Yes, this could be our revenuet.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Leo finally wins for the movie that you know that was not a good movie, but he won. That was a little too much.
Speaker 10: Wait, he didn't do anything, he just yeah, all he did is like you got lit up by a bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, come on to Maine. That's that's every day up there for me. Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 12: That's your least favorite thing about the Academy Awards is those guys that get awards like after they were they were supposed to like al Pacino, he went for Scent of a Woman because they were like, Look, he didn't win for The Godfather, He's got to win for this.
Speaker 15: Yes, I think Paul Newman didn't get the Best Actor until Color of Money. Yeah, Tom Cruise, which very good movie though, Yeah, but not at his best.
Speaker 2: No, No, Paul Newman was playing Paul Newman.
Speaker 6: He's too good looking. He didn't need awards.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marvin, like Denzel in Training Day, but you don't went from Malcolm X.
Speaker 3: I didn't think he was great in Training Day.
Speaker 9: He's just a bad guy.
Speaker 2: He was just one dimensional, like he was brilliant, one dimensional. Ethan Hawk was spectacular. He had the whole gamut of emotions there what he had to do. It's such a sneaky great performance by him. You think it's sneaky because I think it's great. Well, he got nominated, but I don't know. I think that Denzel overshadowed him. Like Denzel so big performance name that it was like, oh hey, that guy right there is pretty good. Wasn't he in Dead Poet Society? Yeah, okay, that's a good role, yes, mar Yeah.
Speaker 12: And Training Date. The bathtub scene.
Speaker 3: Oh man, oh man.
Speaker 2: But the two guys who were there and they have the shotgun and like the one guy was really slow, like mentally or his role his character. Ugh when they and he realizes that Denzel has left him there and they're playing cards and then all of a sudden they find out they got to take him to the bathtub. Oh boy, so good. Fresh in Milwaukee, Hi Fresh, what do you have for me?
Speaker 14: What's DP and Dan ed got a quick statement in the question today for you, Okay, all right, I just wanted to give some love out to the second winning his head coach in the history and my Milwaukee Bucks best head coach, Don Nelson. He passed away yesterday, accomplished five ranks of the Celtics Square three time Coach of the Year, and a great innovator.
Speaker 2: No I mentioned all of this fresh. I went, I went through his resume. I found him to be a genius. I thought he was an offensive minded genius.
Speaker 14: Oh so, what is his best tactic that is still being used in the NBA today? Is it Nelly ball? Which is small ball, point forwards, five out space or the big one hacker shack.
Speaker 2: I would say that it was it's point forward because Lebron's going to play that this year. Draymonds made a Hall of Fame career out of this. You know, small ball. Scottie Pippen was a point forward. Yeah, Nelly was really a brilliant innovator. He really was. I saw this. Jacob Wilson of the Athletics set major League record for shortstops he played in his one hundred and eleventh consecutive errorless game the old mark Mike Bordick of the Orioles back in two thousand and two, right.
Speaker 3: Way today.
Speaker 11: Today, This is the style of the day.
Speaker 2: Eric Bienemy returned to the team today after a two week absence following the shooting of his wife. He missed eleven practices and he was with his wife, who was allegedly shot by the couple's son, at the family's home. I haven't heard an up date on me a b enemy his wife, and I don't know. Have you seen anything. She's She's being treated for serious injuries, but in multiple gunshot wounds, but I haven't had a health update on her.
Speaker 3: James in Virginia, Hi, James, Oh, thank you.
Speaker 17: For taking my fall brother. Happy Monday. Dansolute the Commanders, man big time, all the time, every and yes DPU all right, man. I do have bad days, but most don't see it, but my wife Shirley does and I love her to death.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 17: And the bet was for the forty nine ers not making the NFC Championship game.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 17: I kept putting it off and putting it off, and I couldn't think of a better time to do it than celebrating my son's first birthday.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 17: He turns one on Monday next Monday. So there was a smash take and we had a wonderful time. And as you saw, Man, my daughter really really enjoyed putting that cake in my face. Man, And real quick a worse for me, Man, larrymy Tunsil going down for Washington.
Speaker 18: Man.
Speaker 17: I called him last week and he was one of the key people that I pointed out. And losing an all pro left tackle, Man is never good, but the season sounds going.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 17: Salute the Commanders, and my best of all, Man is Unreal a documentary on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 17: When I was a kid, I used to watch wrestling with my dad a lot, and I really fell off and it just gives you a behind the scenes look man, and it really drew me in Man to see how they make the sausage.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 17: And it's really art that those gentlemen do and the crazy theatrics that they put on in is something real to watch how they do that, Man. So I'm gonna shout out Unreal and the WWE Man.
Speaker 7: Y'all have a.
Speaker 17: Wonderful day, Gentleman, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Salute the commanders, James, thank you, and James sent in a video of him smashing himself in the face with a cake.
Speaker 12: Yes, Marvin James hung up, but I wanted to salute him as a fellow black father.
Speaker 2: Oh and when Marvin saw James in Virginia, He's think, wait a minute, he's what.
Speaker 12: I definitely put the h the emphasis. Wow what I was like, Oh, I'm in there's a Malik, there's Jamal, there's James. I was like, he's white.
Speaker 3: This day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 6: I've never heard of this guy before.
Speaker 15: Nineteen forty seven, pilot William Otum completed the all Around World flight with the record of seventy three hours and five minutes solo around the world. Imagine, like you want to get a Q. That's a tough situation. Seventy three hours to do the whole world nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but didn't you have to stop for gas?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 15: But like after like twelve hour flights, let's make a stop.
Speaker 3: Uh, Tod, what did you learn today?
Speaker 8: Rob and Boise suggest you take a few shots of your favorite whiskey before giving that wedding speech.
Speaker 3: Dylan Todd's not afraid of Adam Viniti At Marvin, No more planes for your dog.
Speaker 2: No for winning Paul Beep Beep Beep, and It's as good as it gets. It's Dude Wipes, extra large flushable dude wipes. Todd says their life changing.
Speaker 9: They really are.
Speaker 2: Wetter is Better Available at Amazon and major B tailors nationwide. Dudewipe's best clean pants down a lot of fun. Thanks for the phone calls for Todd, for Dylan, Marv, Pauli Orschuley in the back room. Guys, have a great day. Everybody, look forward to talking with you tomorrow.