Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's going on? Man Covino on Rich and for the Great DP.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning, buddy, Steve Covino, Rich Davis. Hope you had a great weekend. Yeah, and Olex sant Ooh, Sicko's sick Ravens Commander's Vikings bills sort of weekend.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get into it. Rest in peace.
Speaker 3: Rickey Henderson of course lost the legend over the weekend, but hope you.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed your holiday parties. Spot still has his ugly Christmas orter on from all the party and he did this week. Never took it off the major award. I'm Covino, that is Rich, Jase Stu on the xylophone. Up, what's up?
Speaker 3: Chase Stu and the number eight seven seven nine nine six six three six nine eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox Everything at Covino and Rich Now a lot to get to in the world of the NFL. It was a big fight over the weekend, two days till Christmas. I want to start that by two quick things before over all our observations from week sixteen of the NFL. Number one, I watch home alone with my kids. Ah, they're seven and four. Oh boy, And I think I had to remind my son, like, yeah, you can't do that stuff in real life, you know right, Like you can't throw a paint can at someone's head.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 3: You can't like fire a lot about your son. Yeah, you can't like fireworks in a pot.
Speaker 2: You know that, right? Right? Right? Did they think you played Marv?
Speaker 3: But let me tell you that, I think that's the difference between a little boy and a little girl as we lived the dad life because I never had to have that conversation with my daughter. No, for real, I said, just so you know, honey, I said to my daughter, well, you know, if we left you at home, She's like.
Speaker 2: Please, don't that.
Speaker 3: My son's like, I think I could get the bad guys. I'm all right, let's relax, right. But observation number one over the weekend, besides all the NFL, have you watch home alone now? As a parent? The mcallis does they don't really care enough? The mcallisters don't care enough. Did your New York just kick.
Speaker 2: Mcallis? Does don't seem to care enough that they left their eight year old at home?
Speaker 4: No, you know what would someone pointed out recently and kind of clicked. Everything's placed on the mother. The dad really doesn't care, dude, he's on vacation.
Speaker 3: It's like, I'm going to Paris to see my brother and he's like, yeah, we let.
Speaker 2: The get at home.
Speaker 4: She's probably okay, man, man, wife, I can't believe you did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When the mom like goes home with John Candy and the polka ban and everything, the dad shows up right after.
Speaker 2: He's like, hey, we're good. It's like a very Christmas Look all right, come on, let's get let's go to the foot.
Speaker 3: Just like you had to tell your son rich that you know this is a movie, I have to tell you the same. So sounds like he's a chip off the old blockhead. They're acting. You wouldn't do the same in real life either. No, I know, but but Jay still, you mean you can't get electrocuted and live. Hey, if your son is ever missing, you forgot him somewhere. Don't act like the dad. I'm just saying. Even at one point they go send the cops over, some old ass cop shows up at the mccalisers. He's like, yeah, no, one's answering. Guess the kid's Okay, I guess so's everyone at the airport. Our son's stuck at home. Well, I gotta get somewhere. I'm not giving you my flight like everything about it. Oh yeah, it's a comedy, obviously, obviously, guys, yeah, that would be the most frantic situation. Rich and I have joked for years the second your kid doesn't come out of a jumpy jump playhouse, You're like, where are they? It's the most panicky feeling that ever was, especially when it's on dad's watch. You go to the playground, your kid goes down a slide, they don't pop out.
Speaker 2: The other endroid.
Speaker 3: Seriously, I've started crawling through like Chuck E Cheese playhouses just trying to find my kid out of panic, and my kid's like that, I'm right here, what's up. It's the scariest, the scariest feeling in the world is when you can't find your kid. Obviously, you know they'd be freaking out.
Speaker 2: In real life.
Speaker 3: That was observation number one, and we're gonna watch a second one tonight.
Speaker 2: I think they're the perfect eight for Home Alone and Home Alone two. Well, you know, the dad could be in a loose sort of fella I could be that at times he didn't like his son so much. Who knows.
Speaker 3: I remember my sister went missing when we were little kids. Actually that happened a few times. I've seen my parents freak out for one sister and not for another. But I remember we were in Disney World Epcot Center, and you know how you do the little trip around the world. We lost one of my siblings in country. We lost her in like Mexico, somewhere, I don't know. I forget where we were Jays two, but I remember as a like a teen, like preteen, maybe thirteen years old, fourteen years old, I went with the whole family. I remember thinking like she ruined the whole day. That's all I cared about.
Speaker 5: Well, I remember the worst five minutes, probably of my wife, definitely of my parenthood. Me and my six year old son are walking out of a busy Dodger game. Okay, for whatever reason, we stopped holding hands. I look around and he's nowhere to be seen. The most frantic oh, I was about to have a heart attack. My flip phone at the time starts to ring. My six year old was smart enough to go up to the security guard say I've lost my dad. This is his phone number that I memorized.
Speaker 3: Wow, dude, my daughter. Now, I guarantee you that's great. What a nice story.
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 2: It's probably end one.
Speaker 3: That so just a reminder if you watch Trouble one, it's not realistic. Monister didn't have a cell phone back then, Little Kevin. It was nineteen ninety. Hey, kid, Yeah they did, and they so casually didn't care that Joe Peschi was in their house in the beginning, like a cop just stop by. Yes, I saw a funny ass meme over the weekend. It was knock knock, knocking on Kevin's door. It's a picture of Joe Peschi. It's funny. So now observation number two. Last night, my father in law's in town. Everyone went to sleep except him and I so a little, you know, a little hang with my wife's dad, and neither one of us had started watching the Aaron Rodgers Enigma documentary.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what it was.
Speaker 3: I'm such a sucker because I watched episode one and I actually have some type of like positive feelings for Aaron Rodgers, Like there's a part of me I was like, man, is he misunderstood? Is he like, not not the guy I thought he was, Like, I think this documentary is convincing me. After one episode, I'm like, by the third episode, you'll be saying of him. In the first one, for sure, I could see how you would say he's just a misunderstood guy. He just wants to win. He grew up a ninersand they didn't draft him. His parents seem like they suck, and you know, he got hurt on the fourth play last year, and that's not the path he clearly wanted to try to. I felt the same way about Mark Gastineau in that Jets thirty for thirty, because all the trailers led up for you to think that.
Speaker 2: This guy's a problem. He's an ale that's why he's not in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: But then you start to hear about his childhood a little bit, and you're like, yeah, he's just a misunderstood guy. There's a lot of misunderstood people. Doesn't give you the right to be a jo As my dad would say, I don't.
Speaker 5: Know, jaseon, did you watch The Enigma? I watched the entire thing. A couple of takeaways, Okay, I liked Aaron Rodgers going in I'm one of the few guys that actually like what he's all about. And I think that I don't think the public appreciates that we have a quarterback, uh basically who was at the top of his game, who as was as controversial and said as much as Aaron does. I don't think I think we'll appreciate it when when it's all over. Yeah, but my takeaway from the doc was this the whole ayahuasca thing, Steve, especially in the third episode, right, the whole ayahuasca thing is to get away and to disconnect and to find yourself. And what I've found kind of contradicting about the whole thing. They let cameras in multi cameras in to film this thing, and it's like you're documenting something that, by nature is supposed to be something to disconnect from from all the technology.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's a really weird thing to see. And that's also why he's misunderstood Rich. It's also conventional, to unconventional to see an athlete behave the way he behaves and to be such a hippie, dippy guy, you know, in that way. We're not used to seeing that. And I forget who said this I wish I can credit them. Someone said it it was like on an SNY network it looked like our old s and y set Rich. He's always been sort of smug, sort of arrogant Aaron Rodgers, right, but he matched that in his gameplay, and that's the difference. Now he just does not, so he's gonna get the hate. Like if he was smug and had this cocky attitude about him, but he was winning all the time, and he was winning Mvps're like, alright, I guess.
Speaker 2: He's Aaron Rodgers man. Wow.
Speaker 3: But when you have that same attitude about yourself and you're more outspoken, you have all these platforms and you're under delivering where everyone thought you were gonna be the savior.
Speaker 2: I know you said. It's like a hot girl.
Speaker 3: If she's got a little attitude, some people are like, it's okay, But if she got fat, they'd be like, all right, you can't have that attitude anymore.
Speaker 2: Got the attitude.
Speaker 3: It was cute at the beginning when she was a smoke show, but as time went on, you're like.
Speaker 2: You know what, all this stuff I liked about her kind of hate it now. It could only be jolly if you're fast, so it's a little bit of that. It's a little bit of that too.
Speaker 3: And you know he's gotten a voice and you hear it a lot, so he could rub you the wrong way. I'm with Jay stew though, I was never one of those guys that hated Aaron Rodgers at all. So you know what, interestingly enough, I know we all know this. I'm not breaking the glass. Were all sports fans. But you gotta remember, he thought he was going to be arguably the number one pick for the team he grew up watching. You know, here's a guy that had to go to a local college before he even went to cal Yeah, he has a chip on every step of the way. He was sort of overlooked, and god, he was the nerdiest looking kid.
Speaker 2: Bangs.
Speaker 1: No one told me this.
Speaker 3: No one told me that Aaron Rodgers had like a Caesar like bangs, haircut like.
Speaker 2: Keith d Like, what was that? I mean, it was the time. So he was a goofy looking dude, got overlooked every step of the way. Thought he was.
Speaker 3: They took Alex Smith for reference, they thought, and by the way, he was a good NFL quarterback.
Speaker 2: Alex Smith but thought he'd be going to the forty nine ers, and then waited around, waited around, and just.
Speaker 3: Added to that chip on it, but embarrassingly waited around. And then you get drafted by a small market Midwest team who has Bret Farth.
Speaker 2: So every step of the way sort of was a hassle for this guy.
Speaker 3: Then he found his way, and you're right, I really do think I haven't started episode two or three, but I feel like the narrative for this dude changed when he started talking about vaccines. And that never bothered me about him, because I'm like, I wasn't hung up on the whole is the immunizer who cares? I didn't really care at the time his little lie, But I feel like that changed the complete narrative and everyone just turned on him.
Speaker 2: That was it. I think that was the real start of the hate.
Speaker 3: Right, he either liked him or he didn't, a big deal, But then you really started to hate the guy because of him misleading people on whether or not he was vaccinated. So really interesting. You start episode two tonight. I'm gonna watch it tonight, But it was it was a good show to watch with my father in law because I was.
Speaker 2: Like, what was his takeaway.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm always c's I think, what did you think he's a Packers fan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know he's like he loves Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: A game of Super Bowl and then him and I had that conversation of Wow, Brett fav Aaron Rodgers. Now Jordan love. They got three in a row. They there should be more than two super Bowls to show for. You know what bothers me the most, Jay Stu, Fox Sports Radio Nation again, Covino and Rich and for the great DP day one of the Dan Patrick Hatrick, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, and also a very special day.
Speaker 3: Today's a holiday as well, and we're gonna celebrate Fest of Us in just a little bit. And Mary's here running things. Was up Mary, So we're gonna marry. We're gonna have some fun today. What bothers me is he's tarnishing his own legacy at this point. That does bother me, you know, because we're gonna look back at these jetsiers. If he doesn't do something to turn it around, I can't imagine what could happen. You're always gonna look that stigma really never goes away. He was great you have with those Jets sies. Can I hate that for a great player, even if I was a fan of them or not, I always hate that. And it's like, dude, you had such a great career, like you were a great one. And then to end on this note, this misery with the Jets, Dude, they're terrible.
Speaker 2: They're worse with.
Speaker 3: Him, like this sort of stigma that hurts me as a as a sports fan.
Speaker 4: You know what, though, I think his journey of enlightenment, which is what I'll call it, is much like Mike Tyson. I think, you know how Mike Tyson speaks about his legacy and doesn't really care what other people.
Speaker 2: Think about.
Speaker 4: Had no ego, like I'm gonna die After I die, What do I care what people think about me? I really think that's where Aaron Rodgers is headed at this time. I believe I don't think he cares at all what other people think about him.
Speaker 5: At this point, I say, I think that's the the question that's left after you watch all three episodes. I think that's one of the questions that we all have to kind of deal with. Does he care? Because that's the big contradiction. He'll he doesn't care, but I think he I think he watches and reads everything that is said about him, but I really do.
Speaker 2: And if he gives off the vibe that he doesn't care, why do you care? Because I'm a.
Speaker 3: Sports fan, That's why, and that's how Why do you Because that's how we measure sports, wins, losses, victory stats, that's how we measure it.
Speaker 2: But creating about in the world doesn't care. Why do you care about him?
Speaker 3: Because anything in life though, I mean the don't care about anything, fo you don't care about.
Speaker 5: Anything, doesn't Just the last week contradict that I don't care. This whole thing with Ryan Clark is Aaron Rodgers really caring what Ryan Clark said and taking shots at him and then back and forth. So it's like, that's kind of the contradiction in the guy. There's actually a lot of contradictions, but that's what makes him interesting.
Speaker 2: He's a super sensitive guy.
Speaker 3: He admits that in the docuseriies Enigma Rich. I'm excited for you to see the rest of it to get your full analysis.
Speaker 2: I'm late to the party.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm the guy that went to the theater to watch the movie like a month after everyone else.
Speaker 2: But I was like, finally the right time.
Speaker 3: You know, you end up watching a bunch of the holiday stuff, and there's a lot of There was a lot of games, college football games. Finally I'm like, all right, let's sit down and watch. And I was shocked because I did you and your father in law set an appointment up for your next diyahuasca?
Speaker 2: No, No, I think I'll just have it edible way.
Speaker 3: I no, Rich, I think this is something you and I should investigate, bring us closer together.
Speaker 2: Why ask, let's go No.
Speaker 3: But you know, my other takeaway for Aaron Rodgers was a lot of times when you watch these stories and I'll end on this because there's so much of damn stuff.
Speaker 2: To get to.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of great football over the weekend, and we got more football in a couple of days. I think the takeaway for me is when I'm watching Last Dance about Michael Jordan, when I'm watching Man in the Arena, Tom Brader, I'm watching if I'm watching any docuseries the on Netflix, the O four, Red, Sox Fantastic, you see the struggle, but then there's.
Speaker 2: The payoff when you see him going through rehab.
Speaker 3: And by the way, want too many pictures of his foot, like enough oiling up of his ankle on foot.
Speaker 2: But when I'm watching the.
Speaker 3: Aaron Rodgers Enigma and he's talking about how he's got so much more left, and the reality is that hasn't happened. It's like a documentary where I'm like, where's like if the ending was and then he went to the Jets and made it to the playoffs or won a Super Bowl, then it's a documentary. This is like it opened end to the documentaries, Like it's like watching Lebamba. You're like, I know how this ends.
Speaker 2: It's terrible.
Speaker 5: Do you guys remember the doc Do you remember the doc Free Solo? It won an Oscar? It was the guy that went up El Capatown. Well, I remember seeing the oscars and him him being there alive to receive the Oscar. And then I watched the doc afterwards, like the whole the holes. I guess while you're watching it, the whole thing is like you're seeing the guy who could die at any second, right, but you know he lives because he accepted that oscar. Yeah, So I wish I had said it before I knew that.
Speaker 3: So I feel that way. I'm like because in the documentary. Again, it's filmed mostly during the year where he was injured. So what does he say in the whole time?
Speaker 2: Kavi?
Speaker 3: Now, the whole time, he's like, well, we're gonna put twenty three twenty four behind us, and we're gonna look forward to twenty four to twenty five.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I know what happens. It's not good.
Speaker 3: Aaron gat like what saviorself like, don't And then now you're thinking, after this terrible campaign of a season, what lies ahead for Aaron Rodgers retirement.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm.
Speaker 3: Glad Jay stew back me up, back me up a little bit in that he came across as like I didn't hate him, because there's a lot of Aaron Rodgers haters. I watched episode one and my feeling was, oh, man, it's a bummer. You know, every step of the way he had a battle and he only won one Super Bowl for as good as he is, and now he thought he was gonna prove everyone wrong, and they play all the talking head stuff from Fox Sports people to ESPN people. When he joined the Jets, it was like people like Greenie were like, it's a rebirth New York. The Jets are turning it around and to know where we are now. You're watching a documentary, like I said, with with not a happy ending? What was that rom comm spot that we used to joke about had the worst? It was like My Black Book or something, my Little Black Book. There was one rom com I watched I remember with like an X back of the Day and the ending wasn't they like didn't get together? I could Yeah, No, what about the one with Vince Fallen and Jennifer Aniston The BREAKUPA break you were thinking, like you're like, oh, by the way, tap tap tap, what is it? Reppy tap teppy? Come come on the kids trump. That was a great movie. But spoiler, they don't get together in the end. It's sort of like it's a breakup. It is called the breakup. He's a happy ending, So like you know, it's no one's watching. It's like that's the thing. Not everything's a happy end. But I'm saying this is the this is a miserable ending. Your team doesn't get you. Remember the old Remember the old DVD you would buy if your team won a championship, like the Year in Review. Yeah, they don't sell Year in Reviews for the teams that don't do anything. I feel you're watching that for Aaron Rodgers and the Jets.
Speaker 2: No, we are, unfortunately. All right, Well, I'm glad you turned me on to it.
Speaker 3: I know everyone probably has watched it already, but you know, there's a lot of holiday stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 2: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 3: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social.
Speaker 2: Media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: Now it is time for something that goes down every December twenty third, thanks to Frank Costanza, and it's called Festivus.
Speaker 2: The point of Festivsts. Take a listen.
Speaker 1: The tradition of Festivus begins with the airing of Gravances.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of problems with your people. Now you've been to hear about it.
Speaker 3: All right, break out the Festivus, Paul, And here's where you let us know what the hell annoyed you over the last twelve months, in the world of sports, in the world of entertainment, music, anything, what bothered the hell out of you?
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four, it's your turn.
Speaker 3: Aside from you and your hyperactivity, I'm a delight jay Stu last night. I'll tell you what bothered me. Rich calling me out last night. He often calls me with no purpose, and it's like, that's what you called me for. You could have texted me that. That makes me angry and I want to air that grievance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, text me.
Speaker 3: This is why I sit there bewildered, Like that's why he called me? Was he bored on his ride home? Is he on the ball? That was a total text? Are you just like seeing if I was alive? What was the point and purpose of that now? Twenty years ago?
Speaker 5: That's fine, right, right, right? But I want to get this right. Gary Goleman is one of my favorite comedy love comedians. Okay, he said he has this bit and it's perfect. The phone is simply an app on my phone and if you're gonna use it a better count.
Speaker 3: I love Gary. I love Gary, Gary Goleman. Shout out to Gary. I call him a system of a goldman now or gulman of a down. Have you seen him lately? It's like surge from system of a down. He grew out like this long goatee and everything my grievances have to do with Rich. Actually, no, he calls me last night and he starts to mansplain what Festivus is. He's like, hey, I got a great idea for tomorrow. Tomorrow's the twenty third. He's like, how about we do Festivus and let people air their grievances in the world. The sports are just life or whatever. I was like, that's great, and then he continues to explain to me what it is. As if I haven't talked to the guy for twenty years, you're also you're also the guy that's like, never really watched Seinfeld, I'm aware of pop culture references. Who hasn't seen that or heard the reference by now?
Speaker 4: I also feel like we talk about it every year because it's become a pop culture thing in the last few years.
Speaker 2: You guys know, this doesn't have to be about what you hate about me.
Speaker 1: I had a pause.
Speaker 2: First of all, this is clip on our show. We joke about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't mind that he called me to let's talk about what we're gonna do on DP tomorrow. That that's an important conversation to me. But when he goes on explaining what Festivus is, I'm like, you mean, what we've talked about for twenty years to get that, and.
Speaker 2: We're going to make him cry.
Speaker 4: By th way, when Rich calls you, by the way, never have a follow up question because he'll get bored and hang up on you.
Speaker 2: Guys hate about me? No, no, here.
Speaker 3: Here's the other thing with Rich when he calls is all sense of urgency, right, But when you call him, he's nowhere to be found for like, so he oh my god, what he dimmoned? Your wife's just disappear? So, hey, where's Rich together? I guess he's busy. So anyway, grievans.
Speaker 5: By the way, Cavino, on top of your grievance, I could add the fact that he called you to talk about today's show without looping me.
Speaker 2: Yet we're talking about the show tomorrow. We might as well add the producer. You know, that would have been a smart thing to do. They talk about you, that's why.
Speaker 3: But a little like nugget of something then, so I'm like, are you man explaining to me right now as if I don't know what it is? And he's like yeah, but I figured, he goes, well, if you know, what's the second part of it? And I was like, I don't know. Having the pole the festival bowl. I didn't know the second part, so I'll give you that. Can you explain what the feats of strength?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are you doing that as well?
Speaker 3: Down since we're talking festivals, can you at least explain the Seinfeld reference?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the origins.
Speaker 3: It was an I mean, if you want me to man explaining to dummies like you know the second part though, because I remember hearing it, but I don't really know what the feats.
Speaker 2: Of Many years ago, I went to the store. I purchased a doll for my son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take as many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son.
Speaker 2: I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man.
Speaker 1: As I rain.
Speaker 3: Blows upon him, I realized that had to be another way.
Speaker 2: What happened to the doll?
Speaker 4: It was destroyed, But out of that, oh Holiday was born a Festivus for the rest of us.
Speaker 2: That must have been some kind of doll she was.
Speaker 3: So it's as day that I know what are the feats of strength? Based on his uh fighting for the doll. You have to that's really where it comes from. Okay, So, Mike Grievance has had nothing to do with you until you went it may and now I have a million of them. Let's start with you thinking the Yankees pinstripes mean anything they do to the fans, they do to anyone over thirty five. My number one grievance is that I think it's funny. In fact, I think it makes you guys look lame. The fact that the Yankees still have this no facial hair rule. I see every headshot of Paul Goldschmidt like a handsome late thirties guy. It's gonna have to look like a baby face nerd because the Yankees were shave your stumble, how outdated. Poor Devin Williams's gonna have to come out of the bullpen with you know, Raisin burn because he has to shave before he closes out the game, first time in six years that he has to be clean shaven. Yeah, that's that's kind of tough. Here's why. Here's you know what, rich, I agree that the Yankees have a tradition. I agree that maybe it's pasted right. Sometimes tradition is making the same mistake over and over again, and maybe in today's world that doesn't fly. But I think there's a middle ground, Like there's a compromise. You can't come in looking like a hobo, but maybe you come in and still have long hair, just well groomed. Yeah, I'm gonna say it looks like a red sox. But like you know, compromise a little bit. But it got me thinking that Devin Williams situation. He hasn't shaved in six years. What if he's covering up a a week chin. Or maybe he does get that razor burn that some people get. For all we know he has some frog eggs under there and he doesn't want to really expose that. Maybe that takes away from his confidence. I want this guy to feel confident on the mound. Sometimes you feel good, you play good. Somebody once said that Jerry Rice exactly. It was Jerry right. So you know what, Rich I believe in looking your best and presenting your best, unlike you who wear sweatpants to work every day. Just kidding, but I do believe that it's an outdated rule, man. I do I think they have to adjust it. I am wearing sweatpants right now. Your grievances, I got one at eight, seven, seven, nine nine on Fox.
Speaker 2: What else he had? I open it up to you.
Speaker 3: Fox Sports Radio Dan Patrick Nation eight seven seven ninety nine Fox eight at Covino and Rich our boys spot here who does our videos? Again at Covino and Rich and he produces our Patreon if you want to check that out. He pointed this out and broke the glass to me. But since then I despise it. It's the jabbroni on social media whose sole purpose is just to point at the content. It's like, what are you contributing to this video and to my life?
Speaker 2: Get out of my face?
Speaker 3: And if you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a video about drones or a video about aliens or Aaron Rodgers. And all this ask Plan is doing is pointing at someone else's content, right, He's pointing. So I've taken upon myself to tell these people, you know, because they usually pose it with a question or something like and what do you think I think I'd understand more if you point it a little more at literally pointing would have done me a lot better.
Speaker 2: In this video, I'm.
Speaker 4: Pointing at Kavino as he's making this point post that video that to me millions of views, you're offering nothing to the world, and I want to karate kick you in the sternum. Yeah, and what it annoways be is usually the pointer gets more views than the original.
Speaker 2: That really bothers you if you know what I'm talking about. Okay, that's a huge problem on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Now that we pointed it out, though on a national scale, on a huge platform, the Dan Patrick Show, millions of people are gonna be like, you know what, I hate that guy too, Send him all the hate in the world. Tell them to get a life, get a life, get a life. Content, Chase, do I know one of your professional pointer one of Chase do His pep peeves is the people that are shocked that time is moving along.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: It's my favorite one. And I don't even know if it's a pet peeve. Is that it's just I like making fun of unsophisticated, unoriginal people. And if you're if you're partaking in small talk, if you walk into an ovator with a bunch of strangers, I think it's easy just to go to those low hanging fruit small talk things. Man, it's already it's already Christmas. Could you believe it exactly? It was just Christmas yesterday.
Speaker 2: I hate those people too, because I'm not good at it. I hate I'm allergic to small talk.
Speaker 3: Oh but can I add a little nugget to the premise then, man, time's a flying. But my theory is this, and it really bothers me, so I'll air my grievance. I feel like after COVID the world has been on fast forward and I can't wrap my head around the schedule. After COVID, I feel like we're in a time warp and something happened and times moving way too fast. Something happened after COVID, where I was never the same in my perception of time is off. Like everything pre COVID is different to me than after COVID, and after COVID.
Speaker 2: Is twenty twenty five. Already that bothers me. I'm gonna air my grievance. It sounds like long COVID. It sounds like long I think you.
Speaker 3: Still have long COVID. I think, yeah, maybe I do. Honestly, you share this sentiment. There's a big trend on social media now where mostly like millennials, a lot of people in their thirties are saying that they feel as though again post COVID is like a weird world for them. Well, I think the sentiment you're seeing a lot as a my I on social media, as people saying that they've never they've the feeling of happiness hasn't been the same, like the spark of.
Speaker 2: Life has been different. Interesting.
Speaker 3: I have one more now and then we'll take all of your feedback. I hate, you know, people talking about Lebron versus Michael Jordan. We say that's the most like eye rolly, weak ass goats sports debate, like.
Speaker 1: Jordan or Lebron.
Speaker 3: I feel like one of there's a debate that bothers me even more, and it's is Diehard a Christmas movie?
Speaker 2: I just feel like it's it's the Jase do.
Speaker 3: I'd rather someone say, man, Tom's flying in an elevator then then ask someone, hey, what's your favorite Christmas movie? And it's instead of having instead of having a real answer like oh, it's a.
Speaker 2: Wonderful life for Elf or oh, Christmas vacation. You know, I'm a big fan of Love.
Speaker 3: Actually, when someone's like Diehard, I'm like, oh my god, how masculine are you trying to appear? I agree with die Hard. And by the way, fun fact it was released in July.
Speaker 2: It's not a Christmas as we said recently.
Speaker 3: It's the fact, but it's it's the fact that the person saying that acts as if you didn't ever hear before that, you know, diehards a Christmas movie, like, oh really never heard that one before?
Speaker 2: That's what makes it a Christmas.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wapp Uh you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: Ricky Henderson, the late great Ricky sixty five years old, complications from pneumonia.
Speaker 2: Is there any update or is that where is That's where we're at.
Speaker 3: Right No, man, But it did start with some speculation because Dave Winfield, former teammate, Hall of Famer legend Dave Winfield, posted that he was truly upset, couldn't believe, still couldn't believe that he had to deal with the passing of his longtime friend Ricky Henderson. And then that put everyone on this search like what Ricky Henderson?
Speaker 2: And it was nowhere to be seen.
Speaker 3: The family hadn't announced anything, It wasn't on TMZ or any news outlet. I know you did you and of course you went to X you went to TMS that you went everywhere, and then you googled news Ricky and nothing comes up.
Speaker 2: And then later that day it started to come out, and you're like, no way, man, Ricky Henderson.
Speaker 3: You know people throw around, this is one takeaway people throw around. Oh he was one of a kind. Oh man, he was one of the great ones. They throw that stuff around way too much, because then how do you describe a Ricky Henderson.
Speaker 2: Give me a break. He's arguably the greatest.
Speaker 3: If not all around greatest player we've ever seen, greatest leadoff hitter of multy five years in the big leagues. And talk about characters, right, so many takeaways, so many moments, And I have one of my favorite quotes. The thing is, sometimes the legend becomes fact. A lot of these stories aren't true, but you want him to be true. Some of them are true. But I'll never forget as a Yankees fan just seeing Ricky Henderson knowing he was in Oakland, A. And there's no debate there. He's an Oakland A. He's a Bay Area legend. But he played five sweet years with the Yankees and in the prime time of my fandom growing up, when I was a kid, when you saw how this dude played and he saw him steel bases. You saw how he looked in a uniform. One of my first takeaways was, my goodness, he looks like a running back in pinstripes. Chiseled stone, chiseled at a stone like you saw. This sounds corny, but I'm sure Mary wouldn't recognize this or know this. Mary's a little younger, Like you saw his quads through the uniform, Like you saw how like built he Back in the day when we were kids, people that played baseball looked like Keith Hernandez and Ozzie Smith, like you were like dad bod sort of.
Speaker 2: And Ricky Henderson was the one guy where you're like, he must work out.
Speaker 3: You're like, this dude is chiseled, and you saw his leg muscles through the uniform. You really did, And you saw how he played the game he didn't see. And I don't think a lot of people talk about this, but I think everybody knows it. One of my first observations as a child, because we would mimic it was not only his batting stance, but when he would snap a fly ball a pop out, he would snap it to the side of his glove. He would catch a routine can of corn with flash and flare. And that's what separated Ricky Henderson. When you see someone do that, you know what you know in little league or rec league softball, when someone has a lazy flyball and they catch it a little snap down with their glove.
Speaker 2: That's the Ricky flash, the only guy doing.
Speaker 5: That because he was actually he was the hot dog before baseball allowed you to be a hot dog like today people that that pimp their home runs and Cadillac around the base.
Speaker 2: Was they in their jersey? Yeah, Steve, they kind of let it go for Ricky, they absolutely did. He was the exception. He was the only guy Jaseton. That's a great point.
Speaker 3: I'm because I picture Ricky because another misconception, Oh fast, you know a lot of stone bases and hits. Guy had a ton of home runs for a leadof fit almost four hundred, I believe, right like three ninety something three that like ninety seven or ninety nine maybe give me before Ricky Henderson home run. I think it's like three ninety seven.
Speaker 5: Like in a lot of ways, like you always hear about, oh that guy is that guy's old school, Ricky was way ahead of his time in that nowadays you put all your power hitters at the top of the order. Ricky Henderson was a power hitter you put at the top of the order. He just happened to be fast, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean nothing bad.
Speaker 3: At two seventy nine, I knew that just because I wanted him to be like that two to eighty guy. But twenty five years into Big heies broke every stolen base record possible. Got a little criticism when he said, you know today, I'm the greatest. Got a little criticism back then, which is again because.
Speaker 2: It was back then. Now everybody show boats.
Speaker 3: Jay Stu made the best point that he was playing way ahead of his time. The fact that we live in a world now, and I'm all for it. We live in a world of staring at your home run bat flips. I like the world of midjor league baseball, adding a little flash and a little a little fun. I like a good bat flip. I like an aggressive picture. Then pitching inside. That's part of the game.
Speaker 2: I love. Ricky Henderson is the first guy I could ever remember.
Speaker 3: I'm picturing him in the batter's box, ripping a home run and doing like that first hop step to first base pimp and his shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the chain comes out a little bit.
Speaker 3: YEA had that strata, you know, as he rounded the bases. He had over three thousand hits. He was just a dominant personality for the world of baseball and one of my favorite stories. Again, we all have our favorite moments. I had my favorite baseball cards, my favorite pictures of him. I have a picture that I kept. I used to have it in the frame. What I did, which I've taken a lot of memorabilia down. I put him in books, like in a plastic sleeve, right, and have a picture. You know the rule about memorabilia, Jason, It wasn't autographed. It's not autographed. You just have a picture of a man.
Speaker 2: On your wall. Yeah, so this is a group of men.
Speaker 3: But I had a picture of like it was Ricky Henderson, Willie Randolph, Don Manningly, Dave Rughetti, Dave Winfield all in one photo. And I always loved because I like, these were my heroes and Ricky Henderson front and center, just smiling making everybody laugh. That was the other thing with Ricky Henderson, Tuto Rich, he had all this flair and all this flash. He backed it up, and he was likable. He was beloved by all his teammates, and even if he was playing against you, you sort of respected him. No one hated Ricky Henderson the way you could hate someone as dominant as he was with that much flash. One of my favorite stories. It's one of the stories that I'm not sure it's true, but I could see it happening, but it made me laugh either way. One of my favorite stories. Rumor has it, when Ricky Henderson played for the Mariners in two thousand, he noticed first baseman John Olrud wore a helmet while playing in the field instead of a cap. Ricky told him, I used to play with a guy in the Mets last year that did that too. Olrud replied, Yeah, that was me, Ricky. We were teammates on on the Mets last year, if that's true. Like, I love that he was so just Ricky Henderson. And he's played with so many different people that maybe it didn't register, Like, you know, it's interesting to know what made that guy tick.
Speaker 2: He was such an old school ballplayer, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he had great relationships, but I'm sure some of them were just baseball relationship.
Speaker 2: What's crazy about the story you just told us.
Speaker 5: I remember hearing a totally different story, and that's that's what kind of makes these Ricky Henderson's story is so weird is you don't know which ones have been exaggerated or not.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: I heard that ol Rude played with him and won a world series with him in the ninety three Blue Jays. Yeah that's true. That old said, Yeah, we were also teammates in Toronto, Like there was a there was an addition to the punchline and the story that I heard.
Speaker 3: So again, you're right, that adds to the legend. Yeah, that makes more sense. Yeah, it does make more sense. And I was reading that one off of the internet, but because I didn't want to like misquote it, I like your version, Jay Stu better. But when the legend becomes fact print the legend and he was a legend, Ricky Henderson. We all know the Ricky story where parently in the clubhouse, people are talking about who's batt and what and batting average, and someone was also talking and said John John three sixteen, and they quoted the Bible, and Ricky Henderson said, yeah, I don't want to hear about John hitting three sixteen, Ricky hitting three thirty. See that's when I find hard to believe. But I love that story too. I don't know if that's true, but.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: And Ricky Henderson also talked in third person and got away with it. Anyone else under the moon talking third person, You're like, who's this guy?
Speaker 2: Because they're not Ricky Henderson.
Speaker 5: And speaking of by the way, so Seaton O'Connor, who has a long time Danette as you've been listening to him every morning on the show forever, he had a personal Ricky Henderson's story. This Seaton's Twitter account from Saturday. I spoke to Ricky Henderson once. It was after he did an interview on the show, after Dan said goodbye to him. I picked up the phone and said, hey, Ricky, this is Seaton. Seaton just wanted to say thank you until you. Seaton is a huge fan. And he said back, tell Seaton. I said, thank you.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: That's funny, I said, did you see the one that's going around? Harold Reynolds shared the story is a true one because this is coming from Harold Reynolds. The year was nineteen eighty seven. Ricky Henderson was dealing with injuries on the Yankees that year, So it was the one year where like the one year Ricky didn't lead the league in stolen bases, he was banged up. Harold Reynolds ended the season with sixty stolen bases, the only season between eighty and ninety one that Ricky didn't win the stolen based title. He called the Harold Reynolds this phone rings. He goes, yeah, what's up, rick Man? You ought to be a shamed saying that sixty was not enough. What are you talking about, Ricky? Sixty stolen bases? You ought to be a shamed. Ricky had sixty at the break and hangs up his phone.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Our producer Monday through Friday, producer Danny g you know the superstar. He hit me up with a meme that went viral today. He says led Daylon Cruz led MLB in twenty twenty four with sixty seven steals and was caught sixteen times at the age of twenty two, So sixty seven steals, caught sixteen times at twenty two. The Ricky Henderson led MLB in ninety eight with sixty six steals and was caught thirteen times. He was thirty nine years old.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Like you know, another another term and expression that we throw around way too much.
Speaker 2: Built different. No, Ricky, You're not built different. That guy that different. Ricky Henderson was built different. You know.
Speaker 3: He really was that guy everybody else people pretend to be or wanna be, or we claimed to be, they're really not. Maybe they are for the moment, for that day, for that game. Ricky Henderson was that guy for every team he played for. Speaking of which, yeah, he played for a lot of teams. Not thirteen teams, thirteen team changes. That's a hell of a lot of advice. It is like four times. Right, there's no way there's a player in Major League Baseball history. I'm not even need to look it up. There's no player that has gone to the same team as many times as Ricky Henderson found his way back to Oakland. Right, there's no way, dude. I saw over the weekend a highlight of him in a Dodger outfit. Yeah, he played his last career home run or last base that was his last year.
Speaker 5: I don't even remember him being a Dodger like that's he was just like on one team a year, half a year he was a rental player. It was crazy. He bounced around.
Speaker 3: Let me he had some big moment random teams, Padres. I believe he hit his uh three thousandth if I'm not mistaken. Let me let me go through real quick the teams and tell me if we all remember, because I feel like you're gonna be like I remember that, all right? We start with Oakland old school Ricky Oakland, of course, yeah, with the Yankees, we of course remember that. Then back to the Oakland A's. That's when he's part of that team with McGuire and won World and they did not McGuire and you know Canseco, I do remember after that he went to Toronto. I remember that. By the way, before you skip, I saw Dave Stewart said, like, by the way, his teammates legends, like so many legends have come out to say how much he meant to them, and Dave Stewart being one of them. Yeah, of that eighty nine A's squad, and Jose Canseco known for being a jerk. Look what he I'm gonna find what Jose can say to save it for next. So then we went to Toronto. Then we went to Oakland, again. This is where it starts to get a little dicey, where he's jumping around the lot San Diego. But I do remember him as a Padre Angels for a second. Then back to Oakland. Then he went to the Mets for a cup of coffee, you know a year or so, John O' then Seattle, then San Diego again, the one that would I would you gave me trivia j Stu, I would miss this one.
Speaker 2: Boston for a second, and Seattle to me, those are.
Speaker 3: Seattle I might be able to visually place. And then he went to the Dodgers. I remember how it ended, but Boston would be the one. If we played on the road again, I would never have remembered. But then he played in the minors like he was still grind in as a ballplayer, because that's who he was. Jose Knsako, I'm heartbroken and devastated. Ricky Henderson was an incredibly talented player, but an even better human. I'll never forget the incredible memories we created together, memories I'll never forget. Rest easy, my friend again. Everybody loved this guy. He led by example