Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts Case Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: This is rutfresh, brought to you by First Light Gear. A cold front has blitzed through most of the country. Lots of bucks are going down. But is it just because of the increase in hunters in the field. Is the rut actually happening? Our guests give you their thoughts today. This is rutfresh. Let's go Welcome to rutfresh Radio. This is Tyler Jones, your host, and on the line. I've got ca C Smith the other host, the dude that is like a long ways from me right now. Case you're up in South Coda. It's been a crazy cold front across the country. What are the temperatures like up there?
Speaker 3: It is as cold as I have ever hunted, if you consider like Winchy on stuff. We're going straight Alex Comstock on this thing. You know, I don't know what they are, but it's like in the mornings now We've had one warmer day, but for the most part in the mornings it's seventeen and the wind is blowing fourteen to nineteen something like that.
Speaker 4: It's very cold, very cold.
Speaker 3: And then somewhere yeah, like it's it's bad, but I considered it pure joy, man, you know what I mean. It's just it's just a good thing. It's it's makes you tough. Michael says, it makes your testosterone higher.
Speaker 2: You know, really, is that a real thing or is that just what people from Ohio like to say about themselves. I don't know that.
Speaker 3: Well. I think it's just more like doing hard things, which probably does help. Well, speaking of hard things, man, I want to I want to say something right quick.
Speaker 5: You called me a host logo, but this week I am not.
Speaker 3: You are doing all this stuff yourself, and I just want people to know I'm thankful appreciate the help with this because I'm I'm doing some hunting and I'm getting to concentrate on that and it's a huge help for me.
Speaker 4: And the element just wouldn't go if you weren't around. So we're all thankful for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate it, man, but yeah, it takes all of us man. I mean it takes you know, there there's like five of us and and that that runs the Element and Wired to Hunt and part of Meat Eater and everything. You wouldn't know it, but it is, you know. So it's a lot of work and I'm I'm glad to be able to do it, but you know, I really am starting to get the FOMO real bad right now, because.
Speaker 3: I bet the cold front's been kind of just pushing through the country and giants are dropping.
Speaker 2: Well, and just so you know, the retfresh guests were actually pretty hard to get this week because everybody and their mom is in Iowa this week. It's I don't know if I've seen anybody that wasn't in Iowa this week here hardly. I mean, it's just ridiculous. Like I'm sitting there going through stories on Instagram, like, man, here's my friends. Now this guy he's from like Illinois, He's going, Nope, he's in Iowa this week. Okay, Well this guy's from Michigan. Well, no, he's in Iowa this week. Well It's just like, dude, I don't know, it's it is. I mean, there's got to be some sort of convention going on there. Or something.
Speaker 4: Imagine it's the Convention, for sure.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 2: You know. In fact, I've got a buddy that's on this this ret fresh episode, Anthony Warren, to kill the giant there, and you know he would attribute a lot of this daylight movement and that daylight movement in particular too. This cold front that's pretty well timed, but as you and I discussed today, probably not the perfect cold front, not not the best timed, right, you know, maybe November seventh would be a better time for this cold front, you know, but yeah, yeah, weird, we can get right.
Speaker 3: It makes the last week October a lot better compared to like, you know, seventies in the afternoon for last week October.
Speaker 4: That'd be real tough.
Speaker 5: And as much as we want to.
Speaker 3: Be the rut, the twenty eighth of October is a lot different than the second of November. As weird as it is, those are so close. But I've been seeing it on the ground here and I know you're gonna have the steady and true Michael Stole on here to talk about South Dakota in a bit, so I won't I won't ruin too much of what we have seen from that, but I do want to just kind of address something, and I know you'll have thoughts on this too. The timing of the rut really does matter because things change quite a bit from October twenty fifth until November fifth, Like these deer go through crazy changes, you know, in the way they're acting and all kinds of stuff. And I think we noticed last year, and I believe we might be in store for the same thing this year that across the country, it's potentially going to be a little later than what most people would anticipate being the rut, you know, like as far as like the perceived movement of bucks chasing does and and all that. You know, I know that you and I in particular last year noticed like November first through fifth of it was just not a lot going on.
Speaker 2: You know, why is that? Man? Why why is it? Why does it seem like? I mean, last year there was a lot of warm weather, and I think the perceived rut was definitely later in that mid November cold front that we had. But is there something changing?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, it's it's interesting you bring that up because the Julian calendar is isn't perfect, which is what we operate on that age with actually probably a manipulated Julian calendar. But either way, we don't have a perfect three hundred and sixty five days every three years and then a three hundred and sixty six day year and the fourth you.
Speaker 2: Know, King Julian that made that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, mo Movid, I like the move moved.
Speaker 3: He's like, by the way, one of the greatest cartoon characters ever created.
Speaker 4: Uh so.
Speaker 5: The uh I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, this is complete hypothesis, you know, but like what we know of and we know this to be the case anyways, because you know.
Speaker 4: From year to year, specific dates change a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know, like.
Speaker 3: My birthday won't be on a Friday every year, right, So that tells you that actually, you know, whatever that date is isn't the same day every year. So November first isn't the same day every year, right, So like it can fluctuate. November first this year might actually be the same day of the year, you know, if you want to talk about photo period, right, which is what determines the extracycle of those that might be that first could be on the fifth on a different year. Now, I don't think you can I don't think like the next year it will change that much. But I'd have to do some math and look at some stuff. But that's just kind of my hypothesis a little bit. And then I think, too just things are shifting. I'm not a climate denier. I'm not a climate change believer either, but I think that things are different in time periods. You know, my granddad talks about a time whenever he was a kid when he'd have to go bust ice every morning for like sixty days during the winter for the cows to drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah know, and dude, I don't have that. I'll tell you what. I went to Alaska this summer, if you know. For those who might listen to the Element podcast, they might know. But it made me think about some stuff for sure, seeing those icebergs, and like you just it's hard to deny, like the pictures from a certain spot that like here's a picture from nineteen ninety, here's a picture from two thousand, here's a picture from twenty thirteen, and here's a picture. Here's what it looks like today, you know, or whatever, and it's like, WHOA, I mean, for sure, for sure, some different we're going through some sort of a different weather pattern, you know what I mean. So yeah, crazy, but yeah, I'm just kind of wondering if, like, you know what all I guess that has to do or I guess, let's say Iceberg. I probably should have said glacier, but yeah, that's what I meant, was glacier. Well, and so with my wife. But yeah, so anyway, that's just something I noticed and I was like, man, that there's you know, something going on. So I wonder how that all plays into the rut. And it's definitely something interesting. And this is why, you know, there's so many variables just if you look at nature, right and you you know, it's you can't just look at studies and have those can't even to most of the time be just a complete one hundred percent determinator, you know, like it's it's going to be there's going to be some variable that they didn't consider or some something that could have affected it, or you know whatever.
Speaker 4: So uh, it's like polling data and stuff like that too.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like, okay, well if you pull inner city of Chicago and then you pull uh, you know, I don't know, sometown, West Virginia, you'll probably have different results.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you can make data seem any which way you want.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's hard. It's hard to look at the studies and know for certain. Still it's it's good to look at. I think it's good to do. But anyway, I'm definitely pretty interested in it because currently I'm sitting here looking at the multimobile app and just refreshing it about every you know, thirty minutes and trying to see if the rut has hit anywhere across the country yet, because I'm, like I said, I got fomo bad and I just need to need to go hunting. I mean, I'm glad to be here because I'm able to do stuff like this for refresh and to do some of the work that they need to do and get like all my stuff in order. But everybody in Iowa having a party and you know, multiple people shooting deer that I know and including maybe you know, somebody very close to me, that that is making me feel like I need to be out in the woods right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you got a couple up on most folks right now for the year already, so it'd be all right. But you know, if you're if you got the fomo Tyler and you're you're concerned about what's going on around the country. I hear that there's a new ret Fresh episode coming out on Wednesday, that'd be today probably, and uh.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna be on that episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, as you referred to earlier, old Michael Stole known as Jim Michael. Sometimes depending on if Tony Peterson's talking to him or not, we have he be in South Dakota. And Anthony Warren, who's a good buddy of mine. It goes way back. He's in Iowa. I referred to him earlier. We're gonna have Gordon Dalton. He's out in Virginia doing some cool stuff out there. It's kind of flies under the radar a little bit as far as that state goes, but he's I mean, he always has good pictures of nice bucks and he says that things are going on right now. And then our good buddy Christopher Webb from Texas. He's been doing some public land hunting and had a really close encounter recently that on a man, dude, And those are hard to come by Texas public land bucks that are over thirteen inches wide, which is what it has to be to be legal in most most of the areas. Man' that's a tough buck to come by, so I feel sorry for him that he didn't get that quite done. But anyway, that's all coming up here in just a second. The man goes by many names, but Michael would probably be the one he prefers. This is Michael Stole. He's been up in South Dakota hunting here.
Speaker 6: What's up, dude, Oh, nothing much, just trying to stay warm and watch the Rangers win a world series.
Speaker 2: Let's go, dude. I love how you start off with the letter, oh when you just address me.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm amongst my people currently. I hear it all over except for when I'm with your psychopathic compadre.
Speaker 2: So you're you're up there with old Caleb and he's, uh, he might have there might have been a buck that got an arrow sometime soon. We won't say much more about it, though, But you guys have seen I don't know, at least talking to your compadre there, it seems like you've seen kind of the gamut of I guess rut behavior. Would you say that you've been back and forth on what stage they're in and what they're actually one.
Speaker 6: Dude, Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. We don't really know what's going on. All we know is that.
Speaker 4: We thought it was going to be a lot more ruddy than it actually is.
Speaker 6: So we kind of started out like hunting pinch points and doing the rough thing and kind of realized it it doesn't seem like they're really doing it. A lot of the bucks are still bashed it up and it doesn't seem like they're chasing a whole lot, so we started just going back to bed to feet.
Speaker 4: It helped that we had that big cold front that came through, so deer at least.
Speaker 6: On their feet and moving, But as far as rud activity, it's kind kind of grim really.
Speaker 2: So have you seen deer nosing dose around?
Speaker 4: We saw that tonight.
Speaker 2: Do you think changing or do you think that that just happens to be a certain buck that you had an encounter with that's different than other bucks.
Speaker 6: I think it has less to do with the buck and more to do with the dough that he was nosing around, because he was very keyed in on like one or two dos.
Speaker 4: He was just following them around all evening.
Speaker 2: Gotcha so and he he just stayed with him and follow him around. But there was no like active breeding or anything going on.
Speaker 6: No, he was just nosing them around, and like, like I said, there was I mean it was a group of probably like six dos and there were just two that he was just doing circles around, just pushing them.
Speaker 2: So are you guys hunting dough betting or are you hunting pinch points and funnels or what strategy you're using up there?
Speaker 6: Mostly we hunted a lot or we've been hunting a lot of pinch points, but our best success was kind of just glassing them up and then getting in.
Speaker 4: Front of them, I mean the old fashioned element way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where are they headed?
Speaker 6: They were headed to a I believe it's a hayfield up on top, and we kind of ran into him just in like a little staging area in between that and some timber.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, So staging being like brush that what scrapes and rubs are around or something?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yep, So just I mean on it's pretty much a big valley and on either side there's just a rub line and scrapes all up and down it, and he was pretty much just going scrape to scrape.
Speaker 2: Is there any correlation between the movement and those scrapes or is it just like anywhere is it there's a tree, there's you know, there's a rub and a scrape and I can't really tell where they're gonna be.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's the scrape line runs right along a big like it's a big creek system that runs through the property we've been hunting.
Speaker 4: So it I mean, if.
Speaker 6: You look at the pins that we've been placing on bucks, it draws a perfect line right down that that uh, that creek that goes right up to some more ag so just traveling creek systems basically, yep, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Man, it seems like we talk about that quite a bit on our podcast.
Speaker 4: It sure does.
Speaker 2: They like those things a lot. So with that in mind and all the things that you've seen, and with it being you know, not quite as just ramped up to you know what a lot of people think the rut is. Do you expect them the next week for anything to change? Do you expect them to to actually get to the rut where you're seeing actual chasing and stuff.
Speaker 6: I think within the next week things are for sure going to be ramping up.
Speaker 4: I mean we.
Speaker 6: Started to see it today, but I think it's more of these does come in.
Speaker 4: To e they are going to be going absolutely crazy.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. So would you stay with the same strategies hunting pinch points or would you spend time around those scrapes or dough betting or what do you whre would you spend your time in the next week?
Speaker 6: I think the the main focus should be a pinch point.
Speaker 4: But we have found that there are you know, like.
Speaker 6: There's scrapes all over the place, but there are like a specific couple scrapes that are just they're lighting up. We've seen bucks go to like the same scrape we saw where you know, the buck we were on tonight. We also had an encounter with him a different night going to check the same scrape, and it seems to be that that scrape is like the hot scrape. So it's it's it sounds real easy just find the hot scrape. If you find a scrape that a buck's going to, that might just be the one.
Speaker 2: So is there a delineator that shows you why that is the scrape or is it just a matter of seeing a buck there, or you know, is there some sort of you know, characteristic that that scrape holds that you could just walk through their woods and see a scrape and be like, oh, that's the one that's hot.
Speaker 6: I'm I mean, I think especially when it's you know, below freezing like we're dealing with, if you see like like that a deer has been peeing in it recently, that I think that could be a good way to tell. I also think, like, I mean, there's some scrapes that are just like dug And I saw this. I know we're talking about South Dakota, but I saw this in Texas the other day and a scrape was like dug, like a good four inches into the ground and it was the size.
Speaker 4: Like if I laid down on the ground.
Speaker 6: It was the size of me pretty much. And we saw multiple bucks go use that scrape too. So I mean, there's a couple different ways to tell, but the best way I feel like to tell is.
Speaker 4: Just see a big mature butck go go scraping.
Speaker 2: So in the next week, with all those things considered scale of one to ten, what's the buck movement going to be?
Speaker 6: Like, Oh, I feel like it's about to be like a I'm gonna say a seven.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be.
Speaker 6: I think it's gonna be getting pretty good.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's gonna be quite a ten, but in the next week it's definitely gonna be ramping up.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool man, Well, thanks for the report. I hope you get to shoot one while you're up there, and I hope that your your friend there in the room with you gets plenty of those hungry man's that he's warming up in the background.
Speaker 4: Now, all right, man, I'll tek you later.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got Anthony Warren here. He's a good buddy of mine. I know for a long time. He's been out in Iowa hunting big monster bucks and it looks like you might have seen one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, hey, thanks for having me on, Tyler.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Man made up there and it was pretty short lived, but ended up having some success on the first evening. So yeah, it was a good time.
Speaker 2: Man. So this was a This was a big eight point that you'd had on camera some right, had he been daylight on any of your cameras.
Speaker 7: He hadn't been full daylight. He had been on the edge of dusk or dawn, you know. The week or so leading up to me getting up there, you could tell he was starting to hit scrapes and he had a lot of night time activity. But was just starting to hit the fringe of dusk and dawn about the week before I got there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's been a big cold front that's pretty much gone across much of the US. This week was the night that you had to encounter with this buck. Was that a part of this cold front or was it separate of it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was, it was separate of it.
Speaker 4: It was actually the day before the front hit.
Speaker 1: The tenth was.
Speaker 7: Slightly down I want to say, two or three degrees from the day before, and it was a little misty on and off, but I actually caught it right before the front actually came in.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this year came in earlier than you had seen him on trail cameras or about the same time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was probably about ten to fifteen minutes early from his earliest that he had been previously. And you know, he was actually.
Speaker 4: With another buck that was a younger year.
Speaker 7: Not really sure where they had betted at, but I had a bunch of dose around me, and I was on the edge of a cornfield that had yet to be cut, and so I think a lot of the deer were still feeding, and you know, I saw the dose well before I saw any bucks that day?
Speaker 2: How I interested? Was he in those dos? Yeah?
Speaker 7: So he was. He was semi interested to the point that he wasn't chasing, but he was definitely in the sneak position, you know, trying to nose a dough that that ended up running away from him. You could tell, like he starts and have some acres, but she just had nothing to.
Speaker 2: Do with him. Was he eating it all around that cornfield?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 7: Not that I could tell. Man, The dose were coming in and out of the corn and just happened to congregate in that corner.
Speaker 2: Where I was at.
Speaker 7: And I think he probably would have if he would have, you know, just messed with the does long enough. But yeah, he did. Fortunately for me, he didn't make it to start eating any of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is that what you think he was doing in there? Was was going to eat corn? Or was he doing something different? You think?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think he was in there eating corn. He also had a couple of scrapes right there in that corner of the field, and so you know, my my feeling is he was getting up out of bed gonna go eat and you know, check those scrapes on the way to eat, and you know that's how I ended up intercepting him.
Speaker 2: Basically, Yeah, So in the next week or so, do you foresee much changing? Are they going to still are you still going to be looking at if you were, if you still had a tag there, then you were gonna be hunting. Would you still be hunting edge of you know, standing corn or near scrapes or would you would you change to funnels and pinch points or what would you do?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I would probably I would probably look for pinch points and funnels probably between uh, you know food, which was was that corn that's standing and maybe some some real thick spots on the property, because I think Dose are still in that that point of the year where they're still wanting to go feed. And so I think as we get into the next you know, a few days next week, we're going to start seeing things kind of shift. You'll start seeing a lot of these bucks start cruising a little bit more frequently, going back and forth, checking scrapes, trying to go and find these Dose and the dough betting areas that that are starting to get the first dough in estras. So I think it's I think it's going to only pick up.
Speaker 2: From here, gotcha. So in the next you know, seven days or so, what do you predict the buck movement will be like on a scale of one to ten, Thinking maybe ten is like the best day of the rut.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would probably be somewhere around a seven to eight.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to get better.
Speaker 7: We've got some good weather for it, which is nice to see. I just typically don't start seeing that level ten until you get about seven, eight, nine, ten days into November. That's just personally my experience. But I think it's going to improve drastically. I think with this cold weather a lot of deer are going to hit the ground this upcoming week.
Speaker 2: Sweet man, Well that's exciting. Thanks for the report, man, and congrats on that big stud of a deer. Man. If you're interested and you're listening out there, you can, I'm sure find Anthony Anthony Warren on Instagram and go check out that big eight point he shot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank Tyler, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Right now. I've got Gordon Dalton on the phone. He's out in Virginia. Now. You're in Virginia right now. But when I met you several years ago we were in Colorado. It was just the weirdest chance thing. We were fishing out in Colorado in the Black Canyon and you came just coming down the chute right there. Man, what's going on, Gordon oh Man?
Speaker 5: Not a whole lot at work right now, but hoping to get in the woods later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny that you're you know, to me at least, it's interesting that you're such a hardcore deer hunter because you know, when I met you, you were kayaking down just whitewater rapids, which is something you do often, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a lot of irons in the fire, really hardcore into whitewater kayaking, have been a long time. But I mean I've been hunting all my life and it's just part of life for me.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So ever, yeah, yeah, so you know you've been hunting quite a bit. In fact, I tried to get the interview with you last night and you went straight from work to the stand. Uh what did you see last night?
Speaker 5: Not a thing. I think I busted them all up on the way in, busted a bunch of you know, but I took the wrong approach.
Speaker 2: But yeah, talking about the terrain you're hunting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm hunting in the mountains like Blue Ridge, but the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, Central Virginia, Western Virginia. And uh so I was walking through some pretty steep terrain, a lot of Mountain Laurel, a lot of oaks, stuff like that, real steep, real rugged.
Speaker 2: So are the oaks dropping right now out there?
Speaker 5: So this year the red oaks are doing pretty good. Last year, I think in most of Virginia was a huge white oak year, white oak a corns which are preferred. It was probably the best white oak year we've had in eight ten years. It was a big deal. This year, no white oaks, not many. But the red oaks, of course, are are doing pretty well. And the deer really do seem to be in the red oaks right now. They're they're in those pretty hard. And so that's kind of where I was yesterday, was near a good scrape among a bunch of red oaks near some Mountain Laurel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so does this scrape sit you say it's steep country? Is this is this like on a ridge or a bench or a saddle or what is it?
Speaker 5: Yep, this particular scrape is kind of on a on a little bench of a ridge where the ridge kind of you know, flattens out just briefly. I think they're crossing from two different directions. I missed a really good buck on this past weekend right there. My my arrow hit hit a limb. I had to shoot through sapling and didn't work out. So I was hoping I didn't scare them too bad.
Speaker 2: You come back, Yeah, it hurts.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: You sent me pictures of that deer and he is a mondo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep, well he is. He's he's living a good life. I didn't. I didn't, you know, thankfully it was a clean miss.
Speaker 2: Yeah is he? So did he check the scrape right there?
Speaker 5: He'd been coming to that scrape mostly at night, but I went ahead and pushed on it this weekend, even though it was sixty degrees. It's just that magical time of year, you know, when the bucks are running around, they're feeling randy, but the does aren't ready, and so you get a lot of movement, and that seems to be what's happening. And I kind of surprised me. He showed up at eight thirty in the morning. It was probably sixty something degrees. Yeah, so not so.
Speaker 2: The most of the country's kind of seen a cold front. Have you guys had that at all.
Speaker 5: Yes, the cold front hit yesterday, but it's been it's been a rollicking ride here in Virginia. You know, October is basically bo season the whole month. This is the last few days of it, and it's been. Our opening day was windy and rainy, and you know since then, the weather has just really not cooperated up until now, but it's been. It was eighty degrees last weekend, which is crazy for this time of year. Yeah, the rainy, hot, and now finally cooling down. So hopefully things are about to get really good.
Speaker 2: So you know, things were getting good. Apparently you saw daylight movement off of this buck that hasn't been daylight much even before the cold front. So now at the cold fronts here, you expect things to be you expect to be more of the same or is there you know your patterns are tactic going to change it all? Or what do you think in the next week or so?
Speaker 5: I think for the next few days you can I'm still going to be banking on the bucks moving pretty good, you know, just based on that that need to find a dough and that's what I was banking on last weekend was it even though it was warm, you know that he would still be moving at least in the morning. And I mean, it worked out. Sometimes it amazes me when the plan actually works out.
Speaker 2: Does me too, Man, it's such a it's such a cool thing. It doesn't happen often, you know.
Speaker 5: And I think that's gonna that kind of thing will keep up for the next few days, you know, into the you know, it's November when we're talking here, and I think that'll keep up. And then as we go into the next week, you might, you know, maybe they'll they'll be a little more of what you know, lockdown, I guess in theory. But but November ninth is always a great day here in Virginia.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you're still using terrain, you know, like benches or saddles or stuff to get in the way of these cruising bucks. Are you using scrapes or combination or different things or what.
Speaker 5: I'd go for that combination just like you said there, you know, I'm hunting big woods, not a lot of edge except you know, vegetation edges, So I'm trying to use the terrain. I use a lot of little gullies. There's a lot of steep gullies. The bucks don't want to go up and down through those little gullies. They don't show up on a map, and so you've got to find them boots on the ground, as they would say. The bucks like the cruise along the top of those little gullies rather than waste energy going up and down these little six foot six foot gullies. So I try to look for that, you know, that east facing rig. We don't have a lot of east west running ridges. If you can find one, it's usually money. So I'll keep keep focusing on some scrapes at least for the next few days. But I'm always trying to use terrain and the edge of Mountain Laurel and things like that.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. So, in the next week in Virginia, with the weather coming in, do you expect the buck movement to be better? And what would you rate it? On a scale of one to ten.
Speaker 5: I would think it would still be pretty good at least for the next you know, a few days into the next week. I would rate it maybe an eight eight plus hopefully m hm, seven to eight plus.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm hoping for, all right, man, Well, that's good, that's positive news. Man. I think everybody right now is getting a little bit itchy. That colfront that came in right Halloween, in the end of the end of October, there got a lot of people in the woods and there were some bucks that went down. But I still think there's there's more to come, man, So I'm excited about it, and I appreciate the report from Virginia. Yes, sir, I got my good friend Chris Webb. He is one of probably you know, the audience's favorite Element characters on our YouTube channel. Recently, Chris actually killed his first public land buck in a video of ours on our YouTube channel. Chris, what's been going on, man?
Speaker 8: Just trying to be in the woods as much as I can this time of year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a pretty good time of year to do that. You spent some time in Texas now recently, and it seemed like you had a pretty good hunt the other day. You saw some bucks, right, I did.
Speaker 8: We had that big cold front blow through Sunday into Monday, and so I got out Monday morning and the storm the weather broke, you know, probably around six am. So about nine am I had a buck chasing. Some does come running through and came in for a second and looked right at me and ran away.
Speaker 2: Man gotta hate it. The uh so he was like running dose or just like pushing them around with like in like a sneak position. He was just pushing them around. I heard him.
Speaker 8: I heard some blowing going on in a creek behind me, and so I kind of thought they had just got my wind. And then they started running closer to me, and I thought that that's odd. And then after they ran through, you know, ten seconds later he came running in.
Speaker 2: So well, so in that spot, are you hunting like a rut pinch or are you hunting something different there?
Speaker 8: So that's a community scrape and also white oaks Okay, so the doze will feet in there and then a pretty good scrape opens up there about this time of year.
Speaker 2: How about how big is that scrape?
Speaker 8: About the size of a dinner plate?
Speaker 2: Okay? And you do you have a camera on it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And you've seen dearly using it in daylight at all this year?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, we're seeing been seeing a lot more of that after this cold front will come through on a mid morning cruising and checking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got youa So, so the cold weather or do you think that that it's more the time of year that's increased the daylight movement there.
Speaker 8: I think it's the time of year, but the cold front definitely, you know, adds a little bit to it, gets a movement a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's the achorn crop there?
Speaker 4: It was really good. It looks like a lot of it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Gone, so they've already eaten a lot of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but that scrape stays open and there's some dough betting pretty close by, so it's a pretty frequented.
Speaker 2: Area, gotcha. So you know, looking forward into the next week or so, is anything going to change as far as what the deer are doing, what the bucks in particular are doing, or what the does are doing that would affect buck movement? The buck movement, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to continue to be just more of the same.
Speaker 8: I think you're going to see more bucks cruising, unlike the private I hunt. You're gonna see just new bucks showing up to your corn, and then I think you're going to see them moving, you know, all throughout the morning and then potentially earlier in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Do you expect to scrape movement to increase or decrease as the cruising movement picks up.
Speaker 8: I expect the scrape movement to increase probably over the next two to three weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, And do you think that I guess would you assume that most of those acrons on the at least on the white oat crop are pretty much gone, and and you're looking for reds or what kind of food source do you think you'll be keen in on for those does?
Speaker 8: For those does? Yeah, I think the white oak's gone, so keenan on red oaks or being the deer around here kind of eat just about anything.
Speaker 4: So just figuring out what they're eating.
Speaker 8: If you're on private, that's corn, so sure.
Speaker 2: Well even if you're on public sometimes too because they're going off on the private.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So on a scale of one to ten, what would you assume or predict buck movement will be like in the next week or so.
Speaker 8: I'm thinking it's going to be probably seven seven and a half.
Speaker 2: All right, seven and a half. I like it, man, That's like, that's pretty pretty good. Man. I feel like I'm right there with you. If I've seen our trail cameras in Texas, you know, in the last couple of days. I mean it's going to start getting pretty good. I think I.
Speaker 8: Think so too. It's going to just kind of each day.
Speaker 4: I think it will just get a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Well, thanks for doing this, Chris, and I'm hoping that next time a buck crashes in on you get a good shot on him. Hi.
Speaker 4: Thanks man, I do be too.
Speaker 2: Some really great thoughts about the rut, the pre rut which is happening right now in that podcast. We appreciate all the guests. Also, Adam Moore has written an article on the Wired to Hunt website called why you should Catch a white Tail rut down South. So if you're interested in more rutting action, more running information, there's something there for you at Wired to Hunt. Also, you can go to the Element YouTube channel and check out our latest video where we get in on the first pre rut action in Texas on a public land hunt where I actually shoot a really nice bug. This happened just a couple of weeks ago. It's already out on YouTube, so go check it out. This has been rut fresh, Keep it fresh.