Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning, The Breakfast Club Morning. Everybody is the j n V. Just Hilaris Charlamage the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got some special guests in the building from the Not All Hood podcast. We have Malcolm Jamore Warner where you see Baraka and Candice Kelly.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Thank you, Hey, good to see you.
Speaker 3: How the brothers and sister feeling good?
Speaker 4: Life is good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's about here, y'all just moved into.
Speaker 3: It was the first interview in our new studio. That's right. Wow, man, I love the name Not All Hood?
Speaker 5: Nah.
Speaker 3: Who came up with that?
Speaker 5: That was what you'll see?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't even remember for real, for real, Like I was just like, uh nah, Like Malcolm and I have been talking about just the concept of the podcast and how the diversity and who we are and also who we're not, right, So I was like, nah.
Speaker 6: Nah, Yeah, it feels like that was some I say, all black people from the hood.
Speaker 4: Nah exactly?
Speaker 6: Is it that where a lot of people come from poor and disenfranchised environments, but we are not our environment?
Speaker 4: Like it's just that we come from a bunch of different environments, you know, and I feel like, you know, a lot of media to portraying us either like your hip hop, you're your hip hop or pop culture right, you know, and now we're more than that.
Speaker 7: It's funny that you actually said that, Charlotmane, because I grew up in I grew up in La in the jungle wow. And my mother used to say to me, Malcolm, we live in the jungle, We're not of the jungle. So she was very clear on me having my sights further than just my neighborhood, which is why she put me in theater. And it was always trying to find things for me to do to keep me, you know, from just going to school and just hanging out, you know. But it was that it was a certain mindset that you know, she instilled in me, like Okay, yeah, we're here, but you know, this doesn't have to define us.
Speaker 8: And you know what, we are often recognized before we enter into any room and judge right, and sometimes you get the question that you know means you really don't belong here.
Speaker 2: So when that comes in.
Speaker 5: Can help you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Can I help you?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Can I help you? Or have I seen you be here here before? Or what are you doing in this neighborhood?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right. One, that's the one.
Speaker 2: Right, What are you doing this neighbor This is my neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Why are you here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why are you jogging here?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: That you know that you just happened to my father.
Speaker 8: He would jog in the neighborhood and all the white neighbors would stop him when we first moved in, and they would keep on stopping him. This back in the seventies. So he finally just went to the police station and said, I just need to introduce myself so that when you guys stopped me, you know who you are, and it stopped. But that's kind of an example of what it means when people perceive you beforehand, and what you have to do to go outside of the box to keep improving who you are over and over again. So this really is just an ongoing conversation that we have, Malcolm, let's call a safe space, which it is just to say really what we want about anything about our experiences in America. And that's really kind of key to it too. We have people that are from diverse backgrounds, whether they're from the Caribbean or whether they're from all you know, Africa, but you come to America and there's kind of a thread And those are the types of stories that we're sharing to really change this mass narrative that's already out there about us.
Speaker 2: Creator shift is.
Speaker 1: A term hood negative though when people say hood sometimes it comes off as negative. I don't take it as a negative term. Is it a negative term?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: And I think, you know, part of the you know, the idea of not all hood is hood is not a negative term. Hood is part of the community. Like when we speak of the black community, we always tend to refer to it as if it's a monolist that's right, but they are all these different lanes to the black community, all these levels, all these different lanes, and oftentimes we don't have a space where we can actually, you know, discuss, acknowledge and deal with with all of those levels, all those lanes. So the hood is not a bad thing. We're not all you know, we're not Yes, we are hood, but we're not all hood. And the media, and I think part of it is the media tends to put more focus on one aspect of the black community. Thus we get all the stereotypes and preconceived ideas.
Speaker 4: And hood comes from like neighborhood, neigh right, and Dayla said it. You know, they called the hood because we're not neighbors anymore, you know what I mean, a lot of times we're not communicating with each other, right, but we we're trying to change that.
Speaker 2: I did get that question a lot though you have been a podcast. Isn't hood negative?
Speaker 8: So I understand where you're coming from. But just like they said, it's a neighborhood. I mean, I live in a place where I'm next to a lot of Indian neighborhood, Indian neighborhood, Jewish neighborhood.
Speaker 2: You can still call it the hood. People also associate the word.
Speaker 8: Hood we're just us, which really, yeah, we're black.
Speaker 2: So it's just one of those things.
Speaker 8: It's kind of some damage that the media, the pop culture, the news has done and really trying to define who we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never took it as negative. It was always going back to the hood, to mean, I'm going back home to my neighborhood, right exactly wherever it was. I'm going to play basketball in the hood, which was my neighborhood. You know, I mean, I never took it as oh my gosh, it's a place. No, I never took it at that. I know a lot of people do, but that was always just like going home, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, And you know, we were talking about this yesterday. That also when we talk about being African American, we talk about the trauma that's associated, like that's really all.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: We have diabetes and high blood pressure and we're dying and the infomortality rate. But we're happy people too. But we make it to the news when it's bad. You know, we may often make it to the news when it's bad. And so that's another thing that I think this podcast does, I think for the three of us, is just show the joy and what it's like being black and because of the things that are going out there in this twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Four Lord, every yeah, how did the three of you all come together? How did y'all get together? We will do the left yo, everything on you.
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 7: What you SA and I have been friends for she's for a minute, a long minute.
Speaker 5: Twenty plus years.
Speaker 7: We used to both be at the National Back Theater Festival in Winstern, Salem and where you and I met in nineteen ninety nine and we had put on the first poetry jam there and that turned out to be one of the biggest attractions at the theater. We used to call the midnight Poetry Jam. So after you know, all day of theater, you know, in every imaginable performance space in the city, then people would come back to the to our venue and we would pack out at midnight poetry Jam. It would just be open mic starting at midnight and we'd go to like two two thirty.
Speaker 4: And it was a big attraction, Yeah festival, and then we just kept hanging out yeah Yeah. And then I know link with Cannis from I was doing sort of community organizing and sort of it was a a event with.
Speaker 2: Ye Yeah.
Speaker 4: In Morris Town, New Jersey, and we connected there just sort of yeah linked And when macol I decided we were going to do this podcast, we're like, yeah, we need some different voices.
Speaker 8: In yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And I do a lot of work, a lot of commentating on various mostly legal cases. I feel in for Roland Martin to Roland Martin unfiltered, and so I'm always running my mouth and when I got on with them, I think I ran my mouth for them to say.
Speaker 2: You know what, you want to keep talking with us. I was like, I actually do.
Speaker 8: So, you know, really in that first conversation, we talked about anything from and word to talking to music. I mean, we were just on for a long time and it's just a nice everybody was testifying, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it really was.
Speaker 8: It was just a good way to connect and get to know each other. And the conversation has been going on ever since.
Speaker 7: But the dope things. When Way and I first started talking, we're both older fathers. So the initial idea was to do a podcast from the perspective of older black fathers. So when we first met with Candis, it was as a producer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to produce this show, that's right.
Speaker 5: And then we had that meeting, was like, you know, ninety minutes, this is the show.
Speaker 7: Yeah, We're like, we need to add candas as a host and expand the concept from just you know, the black father perspective.
Speaker 5: And it turned into yeah, and.
Speaker 8: I think your wife because your wife is in the background like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are some of the topics you guys will be discussing.
Speaker 4: Black fatherhood an older fathers with younger children?
Speaker 5: Yeah, how you guys handling that?
Speaker 4: Yo? What did yours old your youngest so youngest. Only we only have one because I got.
Speaker 1: A two year old Sol, and then I got a twenty.
Speaker 3: Two year old.
Speaker 4: Fifty three, I got a nine year old.
Speaker 5: I got six, he got four.
Speaker 6: I'll be forty six and a couple of weeks my youngest two.
Speaker 3: I got a two year old, five year old, eight year old, and fifteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so y'all started around when we started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm fifty three and my daughter just turned seven.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so.
Speaker 4: You'll have a conversation we're talking about, you know what I mean, those those days where they be on, on, go go, you know what I mean, and you gotta just wrap your energy up and and make it happen, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Crazy you say that.
Speaker 6: My homeboy told me that a long time ago, beause you know, all my homeboys had kids way younger.
Speaker 3: Than I did, right, And they was like, man, you wait till you thirty plus forty to have kids. You're gonna be running around you need he's gonna be hurting, Like, no, he won't. Yes, they are exactly, but that.
Speaker 2: Doesn't some good come with that?
Speaker 8: You being older, so speak yeah, you know, being a father and not being twenty one I've been having growth yourself that you have to go through.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, my last my two youngest get a version of me that did not exist ten years ago.
Speaker 5: Ten years ago.
Speaker 7: You know, I spent more of my adult life in long term relationship, more years of my adult life in long term relationships than not. And my wife and I have been together eight and a half years and not more than two days go by that I don't give thanks to the universe forgiving me the wisdom and fortitude to have waited as long as they did. A lot of people are like, he's never gonna get married, And I think at some point I probably thought.
Speaker 4: Like we said, have these conversations like yo, they looking at us like we you know, damnage goods like to mean, you thirty done and you don't got no kids? Not married? He got a problem?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's the best thing, and for me, it's the best thing I could have been.
Speaker 7: I would not have I definitely would not have been as effective a husband and father had I done this any earlier with anybody else.
Speaker 6: That is such a great conversation you never hear men have Like that's a conversation you always hear, you know, women have, but so you actually waited like you were actually waiting for the right.
Speaker 7: Know how many bullets.
Speaker 9: I've been since thirteen on TV, since thirteen, you know, I neoled my way out of a lot.
Speaker 6: At your circumstance was different, though, because you didn't know if people wanted to be with you all they wanted to be with you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean?
Speaker 7: There was that because I've been doing it for so long, I've been really blessed with a great sense of discerning, So that was never my issue.
Speaker 5: To be completely transparent.
Speaker 7: My thing about marriage was like, yo, I'm not getting married and then given a chick half of my stuff because I messed up. So I was very clear that even though there were situations that you know, we're really you know, pressuring if you will, you know, like that kind of marriage, I was like nah, because I knew me. I knew that I wasn't going to because I wasn't I wasn't given half of my trap because because I messed.
Speaker 3: Up about you.
Speaker 4: It was about just being patient, like I know me, and I know that, like everybody's gonna be able to deal with me. As a community organizer who like really understands that the people around me that are close to me are gonna be okay. My work in life is to make sure that other people are gonna be okay. So sometimes I'm I'm a little hard on them people that are close. Right, I'm gonna get out and like they're gonna have to take a back seat sometimes. Right, That was part of it. And the big part is like raising my child, the idea of like me getting married and having a child.
Speaker 5: You gotta be.
Speaker 4: Special, man, where you gots to be special? So I love you, Shelley.
Speaker 8: With one show where we have these two and Lamar Rutcker and I just sit back and I listen. It's like there could be some people that are taking notes, some women that are taking notes because they really I was like, this is some good, Like you said, I don't hear that a lot, just talking about fatherhood and just the humility and how proud they are and then all the rules and lessons that they learned in a.
Speaker 2: Long way when they were dating.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really was no taking moment.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 4: You guys have boys or girls? Girls?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, girl.
Speaker 2: I said that was kind of suspect.
Speaker 6: Girls different different, it's way different.
Speaker 4: He has four girls I got four girls.
Speaker 3: You know, I love it. Yeah yeah, I love it, and I deserve it.
Speaker 4: You know, they say, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: All of it. How does that change you? Having girls?
Speaker 1: I got four girls, Charlamagne's four girls, How does that change you as a father?
Speaker 5: I got two off, but some girls changing.
Speaker 7: So I asked the universe for a girl first. So even before, even before conception, we were very clear we were having a girl. And I know that I needed a girl first to kind of ease me into it because I've you know, I'm I have a pretty good idea of what kind of father I would be. So I needed a girl to kind of you know, slow me down and and and warm and softs me up, if you will. So for me raising my daughter, I came into fatherhood already with a certain maturity and uh, you know, certain understanding of male female dynamics, you know, and with a girl, all of that starts with the father. So I've always since she came, since I literally pulled her out of my wife, I've been focused on, you know, instilling in her the kind of love that she is not going to have to go out in the world and try to find, treating her with a level of respect at nine months old, that she will that that that kind of loves normalized.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: That's always been my biggest thing. Like we see these girls out here who don't have a great relationships with the fathers, and you know, through our lifetimes we've been with a lot of them, Right, So I knew that the for me, the biggest gift that I can give my daughter is a sense of self so when she goes out into the world, she is not easily influenced by her surroundings. So since she was like two years old, you know, someone says to her, Oh, you're so pretty, you're so cute, You're so beautiful, She'll say thank you.
Speaker 5: When I'm smart too.
Speaker 4: That's how we run it.
Speaker 7: That's the normalization I want her to have.
Speaker 5: In terms of how she sees herself in characters.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you see, yeah, same thing, Like you know, it's a it's a humbling space. Giving my daughter like a different kind of vocabulary that's empowering to her so that when she interacts, she knows she she walks and talks from posician power.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, yet, hold on, can you speak of that candid?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, I come from a family of three girls. And my father, I mean really just the king of all things. They know all about my father. I told a story already today about my father, you know what I mean. So that is very infused in me and my mother too, don't get me wrong, but since we're talking about fathers, all everything that he poured into me, and you know, sometimes you're doing something and you're like, oh, that's my dad, what I did right there, that's my mom. Like you can you know when they've poured into it, when you see you doing things that are just like what they did, and you don't even realize it. So you don't even realize what the kids see and don't see. But really, my parents really allowed me to see all of the right things they really did, and parents generally are always right, I mean really like it might be twenty years down the line we.
Speaker 4: Try and my daughter reminds me that bye bye.
Speaker 2: Maybe not Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It really is powerful to have a powerful father, to have a presence all the time, even when they're gone, still there.
Speaker 1: I think the funniest thing for girl dads is humbling, right, meaning I was never in the cheerleading, a dance or any of those sports. But now when I take my daughters today, better get out, not be doing a dance mood.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It takes you out of that that ego place where it's like now I'm gonna talk that now, right, I'm safty.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: I think when my daughter was born, I found myself.
Speaker 7: Like crying all the time, went over like just simple ship be like I had that touches me.
Speaker 4: Like baby feet and baby dimples.
Speaker 2: I was like, what is Oh, they're so cute?
Speaker 4: Man, opened up a whole other world.
Speaker 6: It's probably a stupid question. Way, but you hate poetry, you laugh thing baracca?
Speaker 3: You related?
Speaker 5: No relation? No wow, no relation.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a loute to the arc. I mean all the great things you know and to know the l o g absolutely know Mary.
Speaker 1: Now Father's Day is around the corner, do you, guys? As Father's Day important to you guys as much?
Speaker 5: And for you? Is it important as you?
Speaker 1: Because for myself I just just want to chill fall that don't need too much. This is a little barbecue the kids around. That's all I care about this day?
Speaker 5: What is it for you guys? This?
Speaker 8: Well, So my father is passed a couple of years ago. He died during COVID but you know, thank you so much and so but you know my husband, so you know, I was, you know this morning, all right, we're doing dinner, right, We're doing the house?
Speaker 2: Are we doing that? We're going out?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: It's one of those things where I just like, as I tell my husband all the time, you know what, it's not the it's not the birthdays of the Christmas or there or the holidays that society has said. Just be good to me on a regular Tuesday will be good. But I do remember as my father and he got older, it was really important because everybody was all over the place. Everybody goes in their own lives. So it was good to come back and give him that gift of time because at some point, you know, you don't need.
Speaker 2: Socks or clothes or TV or car. You don't need that.
Speaker 8: What you want is stuff that's really free. Time, respect, love, your energy, your opinion, all of that. So it's good to come together for all of those things that cost no money, especially as people get older.
Speaker 5: But that wants to scratch off ticket you.
Speaker 8: But you know what he wants to see you when you give it to him, you know what I mean, it's not the ticket, Yeah, but if.
Speaker 2: He wins, you know, you don't want that out.
Speaker 6: I'm talking about you afraid of being too honest or too vulnerable on these podcasts because in this era people get very loose. As you've seen, if people have a certain image of you, you even care about that.
Speaker 5: That's so it's interesting.
Speaker 7: So you know, I've said that in interviews that this is, you know, the most vulnerable and I've always been pretty transparent in my art and my poetry and music.
Speaker 5: But I don't I don't worry about it.
Speaker 7: I got a good taste of it just this week because we had our you know, first episode on Monday, and we were having conversation about the N word and I had a you know, I made it's really interesting how many people we're not listening to what I was saying and took my comments as I was, you know, I was hating on j Cole. So it's things like that. And then the way the Instagram, the art of dialogue.
Speaker 5: And other Yeah, the way they worded that's the where were in right, Like, So I was.
Speaker 7: Like, ah, right, this is the reason why I stopped commenting on i G first thing in the morning.
Speaker 3: Malcolm mo say he stopped listening to J Cole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's play the listen certain the clip here, so people undertake.
Speaker 5: What what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Are you playing it in context?
Speaker 5: Context?
Speaker 1: Because I'm sure we don't have the clip off the other clip.
Speaker 5: No, so we're in context.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, dig it, dig it. So so many people, you know, they just ignore the fact that I said, I love J Cole and I said that most of my favorite mcs you know, are guilty of the same thing we're talking about, you know, perpetuating, perpetuating anti black messaging in our black music.
Speaker 6: So that was really my point. I don't understand. That's when they lose me. How is that anti black? How is that N word? Saying you don't like the N word anti black messaging? Isn't the N word anti black? That's what I'm saying. My perspective is so much of our black music.
Speaker 7: Today, like you take the Dope Beats Away and you just listen to the lyrics lyrically, it's anti black message, you know what I'm saying. And we talk about you know, so much of you know, hip hop today that's trash and whatnot. But you know, as I said, before they grew up listening to what we were listening to. Right, So we are complicit in, you know, the parts of hip hop today that we don't like because they grew up listening to us listening listening to the content is the same. The scale set is just whack, right, which is what makes it stand.
Speaker 4: Out, as they didn't listen to what we were listening to, you know what I'm saying. But I think that we also had a broader We listened to music when there was more than just hip hop. Hip Hop was not the the juggernaut of music that it is now, right, Okay, we like, yeah, jazz like like you would, you know, like we was rocking the salt hall notes, you know what I mean, and all these other things, right, you know what I mean? Yeah, Like we had these a lot of other influences that I think the youth of today don't necessarily have aren't necessarily being uh promoted in terms of yeah, in terms of balance.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get exactly what you're saying, because even the other genres now are hip hop.
Speaker 4: Right what I'm saying, Like, you know, it's countries, a little bit of hip hop, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And so much of it, so much of the hip hop that gets the shine. You know, it's it's the anti black message, but that's it's very rarely. There are not many hip hop songs that are speaking love to our people. Most of it is very threatening.
Speaker 4: But is that the artists or is that the industry? Both okay, and.
Speaker 5: The end the result is the same.
Speaker 7: The the the psyche on young black boys and girls, there's the same whether it's the weather, but.
Speaker 4: If it's young black boys and girl that's on the parents.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, but all parents don't. All parents.
Speaker 7: There's a certain luxury that you and I have in terms of the time that.
Speaker 5: We and our wives can spend with our daughters, right, but.
Speaker 7: Everybody, everybody in all families don't have that. So we're not talking about, uh, the psyche of young black kids who have their parents very involved in their lives and showing them balance. We're talking about the ones who.
Speaker 4: Were Let's hold them accountable to the messages. My fault this is that this is like.
Speaker 3: I don't think you would you say J Cole had the anti black message.
Speaker 7: No, so so for me because Nigga has become you know, it's become the staple in hip hop, like it's got to be a nigga bitch. That's why I said in that clip, I think there should be a moratorium on both of those words in hip hop because it's it's at this point, it's corny, it's lazy.
Speaker 5: Everybody is using it.
Speaker 7: So let's like, you know, you know, there are so many brilliant writers and lyricists out there that it's like, come on, let's let's let's stop our game. We don't have to keep doing if everybody's doing it, then come on do something different, you know. So my thing with with with J Cole, it just I just got to a point where I got tired of, you know, hearing inward and being called inWORD in every hip.
Speaker 5: Hop song I'm listening to.
Speaker 7: And I mentioned J Cole because I love J Cole and he's such an and an incredible lyrics that when I hear him just gratuitously use either those words, I'm like, ah, I mean kind of you know that I have to tune out. Yeah, doesn't mean doesn't mean I like J Cole or respect his artistry, his his pen game any less. I just go all right, I'm d I gotta tune out because it's not it's not doing it's not bringing me, it's not feeding me.
Speaker 6: So what about the album, like because and this is the album that I say in the future is gonna be two of the most important albums of all time. Miss Kendrick Lamar, Mister Moralean in the Big Steps jay Z four four four. The things that they're discussing on this album, black men going to therapy, black men doing right by the women. You know, uh, issues with our father daddy, issues that we fix. Like, to me, those themes are bigger than the language that they using. Even you look at somebody like Tupac. To me, Tupac's themes were bigger than the language he was using.
Speaker 7: People keep saying that about Tupac, but like, and I don't want to get into a whole thing about about but yeah, I listened to his I mean listen to his There's there's dear Mama, Brenda's got a baby, keep your head up.
Speaker 5: And then everything else is.
Speaker 1: Not everything this changes this You got me got a bunch of but you know, you know what this conversation sounds like. It sounds like you know where you're younger and your father said, oh you listen to that, hippiie hoppity rap. There's a lot of positivity, all the positive artists out there that are spitting right but right people listening to music. Those same artists had the same problem. If you think about ty lib Quality never.
Speaker 5: Got on radio.
Speaker 1: Most Death never got on radio. Tribe called Quest hardly got on radio. We talked about a lot of those positive rappers. It was the same thing back then.
Speaker 4: Those artists might have a record or too.
Speaker 1: Tell him did get on radio too. He did a record to jay z Hot on the single just to get by record, that's but it took him a long time to get on record. Most definim didn't get really on radio, to what miss fab fabulty. So a lot of the things that we're talking about was the same thing. Coming rarely got on the world, you know what I mean. But it's the same thing. It's the same thing as what we push Like back then, who's on radio?
Speaker 6: Biggie t I, you know that name had social records with socially redeeming.
Speaker 5: Value, but the records on radio.
Speaker 6: Like my dad used to always try to get me to listen to the Honorable Minutes to Lewis Farrakon and I would sorta reluctantly. When I heard Biggie say deep like the mind of Farrakhn, I'm like, oh, that's the brother my daddy's always trying to get me.
Speaker 5: So now I really like he was speaking to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, d farra CON's a prophet. I think you ought to listen to it, like, oh, let me pay attention. So even with the language of a Biggie or whoever, they can still deliver messaging that makes you get in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Lauren says, what's the line?
Speaker 7: Right, So you're ignorant, I'm trying to get to say. Also, what what what I have to be mindful of as well is respect politics, not even not not even that, because that's a whole nother relation, right, But it's more. I realized that it's way more productive across the board and for my my own energy and space is instead of spending time talking about the trash, talking about the things that I don't like and I think we're all guilty of, we talked about the negative. But I'm trying to be more mindful, like even in my in my conversations with hip hop, be mindful of well instead of talking about the same thing, which is the negative let me spend time highlighting.
Speaker 5: What I like or like what I love about hip hop?
Speaker 7: That right, Mum, I'll write hard for Mumbo Fresh all day, but even just that, like yeah, thinking about you know, Norman Sonist got I finally reposted on on Instagram like seeing these cats I believe really need to have shine? What stuff complaining that they don't have shine? I got social media, Like, now I can actually, you know, give shine to those And I've got I got a following, I've got a voice, you know, I've got integrity, uh, a reputation for integrity going for me, So like why not just use that and spend more time, you know, speaking about the giving love to the things that make me feel good.
Speaker 1: But I also think I have evolution to right, you know, because I went to Hampton. When I used to drive to Hampton, I'm listening to noise because it's keeping me up.
Speaker 5: What what what? And I'm thinking I'm the biggest what. But then when you get a little older, you'd be like, that's a little noise, right, let me tell about.
Speaker 3: I feel like listening to it when I'm working up from the South workout. Yeah, but I also grew up on goodie mob.
Speaker 4: You know, and I think, you know, it's we've got more of a balance, right as we get older than one, we've got we've been exposed to more music, right, So it's it's a little different now, you know. I mean, like they still in the in the throes of what's hot, you know what I mean. The how we access music is different now because they're just like yo, you know, point click right, and it's not necessarily about what's on the radio. It's about what they want to listen to, which is they've got direct access to that.
Speaker 6: You know, can don't wan to as from a woman's perspective, you know what I find interesting, right, you know, we have these conversations, but I will never forget Snoop Dogg and DMX's versus. Right when they did their versus, I think it was during COVID, and I remember thinking, oh, this is going to night that boy they finally listened to Snoop and DMX and it's gonna be a woke cancel fest on Twitter. But there was people in the comments, the same people I usually see trying to cancel.
Speaker 5: People loving it.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, but how does that make you feel knowing you came up in that era of the nineties.
Speaker 3: Is it conflicting that you.
Speaker 2: Know, not at all?
Speaker 8: And I'm right in the middle with them in terms of number I won, the N word and just this whole idea of music and what it represents because I know so I love Wu Tang and when I listen to them, I get like a good energy out, not just work out, but when something goes wrong sometimes that music allows you to let stuff out, you know that you just couldn't get out in the day when you were with your peers, or when you're on the streets, you just in the car loud with it. And then I also think it's how were we brought up and what do we bring to the table? So the N word, for example, I mean, I don't know how you were introduced to itever, but that's shaped probably what the word means to you, and same with me probably saying to you. And we all have different things that we bring to the table, just culturally, and I think that just shifts. And I'm a firm believer in the First Amendment, like all the way, because once you start saying no here and no here, then I'm giving somebody else the authority to say no to me one day too, and I don't want that precedent. I don't want them saying, well, you can't say this and you can't say that just because of the content of it or the context of it.
Speaker 2: We don't like it at all.
Speaker 8: It's like when they try to bring up brack lyrics when they go to jail in court. Right, I mean, that doesn't make any sense. We all have the same equal First Amendment rights and you should fight for them and use them equally.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. Yeah, TikToker yesterday, I seen it online. She said the N word, right, she got fired from her regular job.
Speaker 2: Oh, this was the girl who was cooking that young lady.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then in her comments she was.
Speaker 3: Also white by the way, Yes, critical, But this is.
Speaker 5: Where I'm gonna close it.
Speaker 1: She said on her TikTok that she didn't apologize because it was her first right amendment to say what she wanted to say, and she shouldn't have got fired. What's your thoughts on somebody like that it is her first right amendment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then there are three different rules.
Speaker 8: There's First Amendment rules on TikTok, there's First Amendment rules at her work, and then that's her own rules of what she believes about the N word, and all of them conflicted, and she got exactly what she deserves. She did, But then that's what happened. That's why you do have to be careful with it, right. You can't be on TikTok saying it. I mean, this is a good example. Person person, No, no, you can't. So you just have to really understand how to use the First Amendment to So for example, if you're the KKK, you can walk march anywhere in America, you just have to get the permit.
Speaker 2: You can't walk on your own. You have to follow the rules. She didn't follow the rules. She she she didn't follow her own hr rules at work, and that was her problem.
Speaker 5: She did.
Speaker 1: That's right, Like you said, it's also where you came from, right, because the N word was a sign of endearment, sure something. It was that you know, you really didn't hear the extremes of it until I went to Hampton in the South, and you'll be like, oh, no, they're not saying it.
Speaker 4: As right, right, And that's right rightferent ways, and that's sort of been part, you know, part of my argument for a lot of people. It's a term of endearment like it's love. There are more interactions that are using the word that are about love and that are about disrespect. So you know, and yes, we know the history of it. We also know that that's mine.
Speaker 6: But I also grew up reading stuff like I grew up, you know, Message to the Black Man by Elijah Muhammad Bier Malcolm Max, a great book called From Niggas to God. I think every black man in America should read that. It's always been I've always been conflicted about using the work.
Speaker 3: Be cause I don't use it as a term. If it did, right, I use it. I use when Chris Rock showed me the difference, I use it for that, right Right.
Speaker 7: There's a I think last time I was here, I quoted doctor Daniel Black, and I'm gonna quote him again.
Speaker 5: He says, why should I borrow a word.
Speaker 7: From people who hate me when I'm trying to speak love to my brothers and sisters. Right, So I go back to uh to comrade, you know the term black panther Party used Reggie Mason, you know, brought it back up to me.
Speaker 5: So I've been on this this.
Speaker 7: Comrade campaign, like you know, if I'm trying to speak love to my brother, will comrade, I get the idea of you know, the N words, the term of endearment, but it's a colonizer's word, so.
Speaker 4: Language colonized, so like like it's not our language. English is not our language.
Speaker 5: Sure, but I'm not but I'm not going to use it.
Speaker 7: I I'm at the point in my life where I question, what's the what's the sense in using a colonizer's word was, which was a uh, intentionally derogatory word to describe us? Why do I want to borrow that particular word and go through the the hoops of Oh it's it's positive so for me and just so just for me personally, I'm I'm comrade, you know, and and I use it in both scenarios.
Speaker 5: That's my comrade.
Speaker 3: Anytime you also said, we showed our coach out hip hop.
Speaker 4: And it's uh industry wise, it's sort of the bigger picture, right because they did it the jazz like they co opted it and used it for their own purposes.
Speaker 7: But there wasn't messages and jazz that were going to have an effect. I mean, ye, black people see them.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, I mean we sort ourself out. But I also feel like, from a macro perspective, this is going to be The civil rights movement created a lot of opportunities and it shifted the mentality that made many of us very passive. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I integrated my people into a burning house.
Speaker 4: Into a burning house, right, Yeah, we had it was.
Speaker 3: More of a sentive independence. Yeah, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Mhm, people's.
Speaker 4: Man, my godfather, don't call me and be like young man. I'm like, you know, yeah, like it's it's heavy, it's a lot, and I'm like, ah, you got me a pinch right now.
Speaker 2: I know what you originally said. You said that we sold ourselves out.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: In terms of music on the podcast, yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean even I mean, you know, there was a term and hip hop artists talk about it when the record labels say to them, this is what you have to rap about, and this is what we're paying for you to write.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: So it's you know, and again I say, in a lot of ways, we are generation. You know, we are complicit in what we see, you know, the state of hip hop.
Speaker 5: Uh in the younger generation. That's you know, we allowed that for the dollars. I'm gonna get a T shirt that says right.
Speaker 6: You know, we had when Snoop was here, This was a few years ago. We had a conversation about that because that's always been on my mind as I got noted, like damn, see the Lord stuck it was actually right, and Snoop said she was, but it was the way she was coming at us.
Speaker 4: And again it's back to that First Amendment thing too, you know what I mean, Like it's a layered conversation, like you can't tell me I can, Like, where are you gonna control my tongue like that? You know, I'm an artist, Yeah, let me.
Speaker 8: Do what I do and so and telling yourself out means such a different thing years ago than you know. A lot of it had to do with people not even being informed, right educated on what they could could not do, their rights, whether it was publishing, whether there was First Amendment rights, whether it was their right to own a certain right. You know that they should have owned advances. Now these days, people are smarter. So when we say that people sell themselves out, I mean it's negative. But along the way, you should be selling something right, You should be you know, in the marketplace. You should be the monopoly that you want to be in the process. So I'm glad the times have changed, right, but it's definitely different when we talk about who we are today. We are more informed in terms of and so we're making more decisions, which is which is a good takeaway when we're looking back at what was happening in the nineties.
Speaker 1: But some of the times have you understand, Like we had an artist up pit the other day. His name was Rob four nineties from Louisiana, and he said he signed a deal so he could get out.
Speaker 4: Of the hood.
Speaker 5: He knew that if he was still there it.
Speaker 1: Would be problems for him, his family's mother and all that. So I had to do the deal to get out it.
Speaker 3: And I know even with.
Speaker 1: Hip hop back then, a lot of artists that's the same, right, that was their only way out right. Their music was great and they didn't know anything out of it, that's right. So people consider that selling, selling their soul, selling themselves out for them, they look like, look, I'm just trying to get out the hoods on that's.
Speaker 2: Right, And if they had more information that would have been better off. That's all.
Speaker 4: Access.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Access.
Speaker 3: Had a couple of questions.
Speaker 6: I want people to describe to the podcast, but when it comes to TV and movies, do you have the same discretion with the N word and the bware?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean I feel like if it's if it's you mean in terms of using it, in terms of my use of it or the industry's use of it both. So I think I am I'm against the gratuitous use of the words. Like, I understand all of the arguments and all of the defending, but I think what's getting lost is I'm referring to the gratuitous use of it. Sure, we can talk all day about there are some circumstances where that word is the only thing that really you know, So I'm aware of all of that. But my my issue was, I said, it's the gratuitous use.
Speaker 8: Of it, because I would imagine, right that if you get a tight script that takes place in the nineteen sixties, what else scripts don't have the word?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: So right, that's that's different.
Speaker 8: And that's what we talk about a lot amongst the three of us, is that it does have a place. We can't just erase that of history, right, It has a place you cannot do certain things without the word coming up. It's just where you place it in your own life, and that's where you play.
Speaker 5: But I can't go do an August Wilson play period, you.
Speaker 10: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So I get all of that.
Speaker 7: I think my issue is along with the I go back to anti black messaging and our music, the gratuitous use.
Speaker 3: Of the N word.
Speaker 7: It's just you know, it's just for me. I'm just like, you know, enough already, And again I said enough already. But then I also go back to, you know, there's so many incredible lyricists who have proven their pin game is top notch, and I go, well, just like, elevate the shit if all these corny motherfuckers are using nigg and bitch in all of their.
Speaker 5: Lyrics and then don't elevate the shit like show them.
Speaker 10: And also when we're in our forties and fifties still rapping the same shit we were wrapping in our twenties, it's like that's not even you know, like like show me some growth, right, like if you're not even giving me any integrity in your art.
Speaker 4: An evolution evolution, yeah, and growth, And I like I just can't and it's not feeding my soul.
Speaker 5: Can't do it.
Speaker 3: I get you.
Speaker 6: I want to ask you one question about respectability politics, because you brought it up. The thing about respectability politics, what if the person you're respecting is just truly yourself.
Speaker 3: You're just policing yourself.
Speaker 5: You're saying about respecting the white man.
Speaker 3: And the system, but trying to make the system comfortable. I'm just respecting myself. Is that still respectability politics?
Speaker 7: So I bring it up all the time because whenever we're talking about that, people go to, well, it doesn't matter what people think about us, Like, I'm not even talking about white people.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about our own level of self respect. So that's all it is. That's always the take that I bring up.
Speaker 7: But then it goes it always the conversation always leads back to claiming respectability.
Speaker 2: Bok No agreed.
Speaker 8: You know, we have this conversation often where you know, you go out, you're not even worrying about any other race until somebody reminds you. So most of the things you're doing, I'm just doing inside of myself. I'm not really concerned about that. Echo what he says.
Speaker 4: I mean, those are very specific and nuanced situations. Each its situational right. I think that we've got to center ourselves first. I think it's time that, you know, we put black folks at the front and really center how we move and making our movements based around, uh, the greater good, the respectability politics. It happens. It's a it's a reality of American culture. And some people choose to engage and some people don't.
Speaker 3: You don't seem like the type that's gonna have.
Speaker 5: To engage with.
Speaker 4: I love my people. I love my people.
Speaker 1: And well, the podcast Not All Hood is streaming everywhere, and I appreciate you guys for joining us. Malcolm, Jamal Warner, where you see Baraka and kandas Kelly. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 5: Morning.
Speaker 4: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 5: The Breakfast Club