Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Tuesday, October eighth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number forty four. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from the s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star presented by LGLG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot Com, Forward slash O led Evo. Welcome back to the show Brian and Amber. Today we got a lot of fun stuff to Tuesday. We get to turn the page and start looking towards the next game. Coming off a big win by the Cowboys. We have some in the first segment, some stories that we didn't really get to yesterday that I want to talk about. In the second segment, we will dive into the mind of Brian brought Us and see what kinds of thoughts he has swirling around up there. That look makes me think it's gonna be something fun. So we'll see how that goes, and then hopefully, hopefully, if Amber doesn't have any objections, in the third segment, we will take some phone calls and some email from you fans and hear.
Speaker 4: From you here what you accountable?
Speaker 2: Please do?
Speaker 5: Please hold me accountable. I've already asked her some questions. I got a few on Twitter, actually a couple pretty good ones. And maybe we'll go to the phone lines, maybe get some couple of calls as well. We'll see how all that goes. Let's start first with some of the storylines we didn't get a chance to really dive deep into yesterday. I want to start with the offensive line. Obviously, we had the Cowboys experience an injury there during the game. They lost Tyler Guidon. They had Tyler Smith, which was a little bit of a rise as he got hurt. I was I was talking to Nick, who was sitting beside me, and we were trying to figure out, you know, who's coming in for him? Is awesome? Inn is awesome in And I'm like, no, Bass is coming in, and I'm like, oh wow, they're sliding to And this is something that we've talked about on the show. We've all agreed. I think that Tyler Smith is your best backup tackle, backup left tackle, if not the best tackle you have. And then the side Yeah, I think both are fair, right. My question for you guys is, with Tyler Smith in there at tackle, is this your best five? And if it is, even if Guyton is healthy, should the Cowboys consider, even if it sets guiding back just a little bit in his development, rolling with Tyler Smith going forward at left tackle to ensure they have their best five on the field.
Speaker 4: Well, I do think those are your best five. And I think Bass he's a very talented player and for the longest time he since he got here, he's been always a guy that other people talk about him, like teammates, other coaches bring him up in conversations as far as like someone who puts in the work, it's dedicated, has the talent. So I do like those five. Now where it gets complicated is this whole guy in situation where are they willing Do you see them actually willing to stop his progression Because the only way you get better is being out there and playing. So it's do you want to just keep him out there or do you want to actually have your best five? I would, you know, I'm not scared to make drastic decisions like that, but I just I can't imagine a scenario where with him being healthy, once he gets back healthy, are they actually willing to keep that line up there and have him back in there. Brian, I don't know what your opinion on this is because as we've seen it before, and we talked about Terrence style back when he started first, they stuck with him. They didn't decide to make any like moves or anything like that. So we've seen Mike McCarthy make those decisions, but we also seen him make the decisions where he's willing to also switch out guys. But personally, I like TJ Bass and I like Tyler Smith playing where he was at.
Speaker 6: Do you like that because you saw it work in a game, Yes.
Speaker 4: But also individually, I think individually, talent wise, I do still think those are your best five players.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that because we physically saw it in a game. Now, you caught a break with her big getting injured in that game, but but you but you were at least protected in this game. They made the determination that we can handle things inside. It's the edges we can't handle things. And now you have to ask yourself this question about uh and you know, is is it your best five right now as we speak, Yes, it is okay. Now you'd have to worry about, though, is does this player does the kid that you drafted for you know, it's playing now and it's going to play in the future. Is this going to hurt his growth going forward? You know not? He he is not played against a defensive end that he's been better than.
Speaker 2: He just hasn't.
Speaker 6: These first five weeks have been everyone that you can imagine that could be a pass rusher in this league that's been good. He's had to deal with that at one way or another. And so the question you have to ask yourself is is that are you going to see more teams that have these types of edge rushers or are you going to have to see more teams that have those inside presence that you need to worry about. I think the answer is going to be You're going to see more edge rushers, And to me, it would make sense to keep to keep Tyler Smith that left tackle you know there there there the thing that the thing that guy needs is a lot of technique work. And can you give him technique work while he's playing the game. That's the biggest problem you have. I mean, he's learning on the job. There's going to be now you know, in week five it's not pretty, but maybe in week twelve it's prettier. When he sees some of these guys for the second time around that you know that he'll be able to kind of you know, he gets the hang of the feet, the hands, the body position, all those things. Because right now it's been a little bit of it's been a trouble for him. So I'm weighing this because it's the personnel guy, the former personnel guy. I want to see him play. But I realize, though I'm in a business right now of trying to win games. You know, I'm trying to win. And maybe Dallas has this great history of plug and play guys, and it might have, it might have just to this point come to a little bit of an end because we've seen them plug and play and it immediately work with Geyt and it looks like the shift from right tackle to left tackle has been a lot for him, and I think that's kind of where I'm at with that. I want to see him continue to play, but I also know that I'm about to play games with more of these edge rushers and I but I want to win. I want to win, and I want to win. I want to win by always having my best five guys or eleven guys out there that I can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in all fairness, if I remember correctly, when we were during the during draft season, I think the understanding was this is a guy was it was a player that was going to require some development. Yeah, he was a younger guy. He hadn't had a lot of time playing as a starter at Oklahoma, so he was going to take some development. So in all fairness, we may be seeing what we all thought we would see. Yeah, But then my question becomes, and this is a little bit unfair, gonna ask it anyway, because I think that's I've seen a lot of people talking about it. If you go back to the rookie year of say a Tyron Smith, was he also going through this level of difficulty or did he adapt a lot faster?
Speaker 6: I remember, I remember, I remember some of the things with the Tyron Smith of the athletic ability, but not to the level of well, the athletic ability, but not the break.
Speaker 4: Just for clarification, are we talking you said Tyler Smith or.
Speaker 6: Tyrants Tyron Smith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to talk about Tyrany Tyler.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, No, I thought he said Tyron Smith.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 5: In my head, I just thought I thought about Tyron Smith and tyrannt Smith.
Speaker 6: I don't remember Tyron Smith getting broken down this way. I remember, uh inside pressures and and stuff where he was having the power, steps were lacking, and you know, I just remember him his technique just being in the strength and the power just being right there. And he he got bigger from the first year to the second year, and you know, and then you're like going, okay, but I don't remember. This is the one plug and play guy that they've had that is broken down more than say, if you go back to Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, you know, any Tyler Smith, anybody. I mean, we were so worried about Tyler Smith because of how many holding calls he had at Tulsa. Hands were real bad hands outside the body. He had some holding calls his first year having to play, but kind of worked around that got better. But the thing that's really really hurting Tyler geitden is his technique is just he can't get his technique consistent enough right now. It's just it's a good rep, it's bad three reps. And now you're kind of going through that of him. It's like watching a baseball pitcher trying on the plate. He gets a strikeout and you're like, Okay, he's got it together, and then and then he walks to and you're like going, okay, now you have to pull him because the control's all over the place. So I I this has been a struggle because I personally want the kid to play, but I also understand what's ahead in these games. I understand the schedule and what's ahead, and you're gonna be dealing with a lot of these teams that have especially this weekend, this Aiden Hudginson. You know, he's gonna move around and they're gonna find and me personally, I kind of feel like that I only need questions at one tackle, not too do you understand.
Speaker 5: Which is what we saw early and again yeah, probably that both.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, if I can eliminate just right now a question and plug in another guy say plug in basst guard. Now I kind of feel like, Okay, I've I've eliminated that one tackle spot. Now I need to work on my other tackle. Yeah, it's trying to instead of helping two tackles, I only really have to concentrate on helping one tackle. Right. So that's kind of where I'm.
Speaker 4: At right But to me, it's like it should never be a debate whether or not like who to play. You always play who your best player is, who is your best That's how I see it as something negative for like even I understand in the second year, I see Tyler Guyan right now to me visually and what I see he still needs to put on that muscle strength and just kind of all.
Speaker 6: Right, let me ask you this question then to both of you, and maybe I should ask it for savor it for my questions, But I'll give you a question here. If Tuma Adoga was healthy right now, would you still move Tyler Smith?
Speaker 5: I would. I still don't think The reason why I would is because I don't know if I necessarily think Tuma Adoga is better than guyon. Okay, the difference between the only reason this conversation makes sense to me is because I think there is an appreciable difference between Tyler Smith and Tyler Guidon. I don't think there's that level of difference.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe Adoga's better right now, I don't know if it's much better to where I'm like, I will sacrifice the development that happens from allowing him to play and going through those growing pains with him right now.
Speaker 6: See, this is too more about a little bit about well, let's go and about Awesome Richards too. Yeah, it's a little bit more about them, because now you're thinking you immediately with Awesome Richards being active, you immediately went to a guy who and I know we were all together at training camp for the whole time. I don't ever remember Tyler Smith playing left tackle unless I miss something, you know, unless I missed a snap. I thought I watched most of the snaps. Yeah, but they they immediately went to that move instead of dealing with and you know, they probably felt like that with the way that the Steelers are at the edge, they had to do something. They couldn't just go with Awesome richardson. But I wonder, Ambar, if Adoga was healthy, you still you still feel like that they would you still want to go with Tyler Smith? I would.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I said earlier, forget about the positions. I think those are your best five players overall, and then how do you find a way to have the best fives? And with a guy like Tyler Smith, he's shown you that he can play both positions like you've seen him be good at it. And that's why I thought when you asked about how it started, I thought that's why Tyler Smith came to mind immediately because of the because still him playing in the line. Immediately he was a guy that he drew some penalties and things like that, but he was very, very solid his first year. So this is a situation where I don't care whoever else of the backups is healthy at the moment, I would find a way to always have my best five regardless.
Speaker 5: I'll throw one other thing out there too, if you're if you're talking about development with the age of Zach Martin, there's a chance that you get into next year and you don't have Zach Martin on this team. Pass is probably the guy that's going to be taking that position. Yeah, so you're developing him too, So yeah, you may not be getting that time to develop Tyler Geitton, but you're developing the guy that may be the successor to Zach Martin if Zach Martin decides to move on. So I think either way, I think it from a development standpoint, I'm kind of yeah, exactly, you're going to be fine. I just think right now where they are as a team, with all the injuries, they've got, all the things they're trying to kind of manage right now, if you've got a situation where your best five or not the five that are out there, I think you might be better serve throwing your best five out there.
Speaker 6: On the think the thing and you make a great point. Both you make great points. The thing you need to think about now is your defense is handicapped with all the injuries, right you need your offense to get on, get on the horse.
Speaker 2: And go exactly.
Speaker 6: And if having your best five mean that you can run the football, you know half fifty play drives, I mean they had two fifteen play drives in that game the other night. You know that ended up his touchdowns. You know that that's your best friend for a defense that doesn't have all its pieces together. And if playing you know, if playing Tyler Smith. That left tackle and basset guard means that you can move the football, run the football block for your quarterback score more points. You owe it to the fifty three guys and the coaches on that staff to put the best five guys out there. You know you're absolutely right about that.
Speaker 5: All right, we're gonna take our first break. When we come back, we will jump into the mind of Brian brought us. He's got some questions for us.
Speaker 2: We'll roll through that.
Speaker 5: In the second second. We'll be BA Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 7: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 8: Requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liptball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 11: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 12: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com.
Speaker 2: Check it out today.
Speaker 12: YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 4: LG oled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the LG oled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See you for yourself at LG dot com slash oled Ebo.
Speaker 5: Welcome back. It is the second segment of The Breakwail Life from s WBC Mortgage Studios at the star of the segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All Right, Brian, what you got?
Speaker 6: Thank you very much, Derek, appreciate that. I always appreciate Tuesday and being able to ask you guys questions that kind of I get to test these out that much.
Speaker 5: We appreciate you can hear it back.
Speaker 6: Hear these questions back on one five three the fanda if they work out pretty well, Derek Eagleton, all right, is overshown currently your best defensive player?
Speaker 5: I think Trayvon is still my best defensive player. But yes, he's up there. He'd probably be top three. Uh, Trayvon M Yeah, I probably put him second or third, second or third.
Speaker 6: So you have Trayvon is your number one best defensive Is.
Speaker 5: My best defensive player?
Speaker 8: Correct?
Speaker 6: Would you include that? What if you included Tank and Parsons into that.
Speaker 5: Oh, then he's father down the line, because I would say Mike is my best player, Trayvon is my second best player. Well, Trayvon or Tank or my second best player. The other one's third. Probably give him a tie, and then I would put him maybe fourth. Okay, So, and here's also the thing I'll mention with with overshown No Texas love by the way, All right, of course it is, But but I think the other thing I'm thinking about when you say the best player, he's the most. He's an impactful player. He makes some sometimes he has some moments where you're like, oh, but but I think that's also the matter of him being a young play and that happened at Texas at times. You do like he'd have some plays that were a little bit like I don't know what he was thinking on that one. But by and large, he's just when he when he makes a tackle, the run is over like nobody nobody hits him and and then keeps going. He makes the tackle when he gets there. He's sure in that way. He's all over the field, he runs around, and he plays with reckless abandon I love that in the linebacker, So yes, I put him up there.
Speaker 4: He g okay, Uh, well, Dix is definitely up there, and he's still a very very good player on defence. But but yes, absolutely he's better than you know what because and I'm gonna go, you're talking about right now, are my eyes drone to the most? Why kind of plays? What kind of player am I noticing the most on the field?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Hold on, let me finish. He when you talk about tackle and I've seen, I've seen, I've seen Trevon and I love Trevon, okay, but I've seen some mistackles I've seen and not that Overshow hasn't had those either. But the way over shown tackles, the way he's just he's giving it his all and making those stops. You talk about being impactful, impactful absolutely in his speed I think he has. He's a little faster than Trevon, and different positions of the field so you're your your length and what you're having to run is a little different there. But the one that I've noticed more involved in things that are currently and that maybe maybe because he's not getting the ball thrown that way. I know where you're going, Derek, I know I get it his presence makes a difference, But at the moment, who am I seeing more of overshown.
Speaker 2: I've scored?
Speaker 5: Hold on, When you're talking about a cornerback, that's one position on the field. I don't want my eyes being drawn to because if my eyes are being drawn to him, he's probably not having a good day. I want a cornerback where I'm like, did.
Speaker 4: He you don't notice? Yeah?
Speaker 13: And I'm like if it feels like he didn't play today, I'm like, Okay, that was a great day of my cornerback because that means nobody they weren't even willing to throw it his way, And that, to me is what Trayvon is right now.
Speaker 5: Now we have seen a couple times when he's had opportunities at balls.
Speaker 6: They had the.
Speaker 5: Penalty that that negated one of it what would have been an interception. But I think Trayvon, Trayvon's doing exactly what you paid him to do. He is the best cornerback on this team, and by and large, teams are not challenging him in a way to where that he's he's they're making plays on the guys that he's covering.
Speaker 4: But I think what's still fresh on my mind is the loss against the Ravens, and I get it, and everybody played bad, but there were so many plays that Diggs, based on his experience and everything, I expected him to play better and do better, and there were some miss tackles on there where he was I'm like, what what is going on? I can't expect that from other players on the team, but not from him. And again, I agree with you. When you don't notice him that much, that's great. That's a good thing, and he's being impactful in that way as well. But yeah, over Shawn right now, I don't know's.
Speaker 5: I'll say this. It's also the hot.
Speaker 4: Potato at the moment. He's the trending one at the right.
Speaker 5: When you when you also talk about those mistackles, I do, and this is probably not right. I probably shouldn't, but I give cornerbacks a little bit of a pass when they're not great tacklers. I saw the best cornerback in the history of the game be a not so good tackler and Deon Sanders pretty good safety doing it. His son is a good tackle. Yeah, but he plays safety right. But my point is, like every cornerback is not made like Jordan Lewis. Jordan Lewis has that mentality where tackling is important and he does it well. I don't think there are a lot, but there are a lot. There are a lot of really good cornerbacks in this league that don't necessarily do that well. And so I, yes, I get it, we need to evalue aid him on that as well. But most importantly, it's like my linebacker. The most important thing my linebacker can do is make tackles. Most thing my cornerback can do is take away a wide receiver. Trayvon does that extremely well.
Speaker 6: Derek. The red zone offense is more of a problem than the running game.
Speaker 5: See this is recency bias is what this is. Because the running game you see question. I know, but we all saw this running game last week and now we're like the name.
Speaker 6: But it's the red zone offense, the red zone office problem.
Speaker 5: It's because all season we've seen this problem where they've Namber's been talking about every single week, why are we selling for field goals? Why are we selling for field goals? That's been your argument every week. So I get it, and I agree with you, by the way, So I think, yes, I think, I think, but I will say this. One of the reasons why I've always thought this season that the red zone has been a problem is because I thought they didn't have a running game. Now part of that is they have not utilized a running game the way I think it can be most effective. Commit to two running backs, right, and use those two running backs in the way that that they did this last game. If they do that, I think it'll be better and it'll be good enough for them to be able to do the things they want to do offensively. So red zone offenses is the bigger problem.
Speaker 4: Hey, g I was gonna say, I mean, yeah, there are other areas of the field that you can still score from start to play from, and then yeah, still no. But absolutely it's been And Brian knows what he's doing with these questions because the two things go kind of hand in hand, red zone and your running game and what you have to you know, you're just, yeah, you're just trying to play tricks over here, but.
Speaker 5: He's us up there.
Speaker 4: I agree with what you said there. As long as with the running game starting to kind of get better and improve, I think it's gonna open up more opportunities for you to take during inside the red zone and hopefully start scoring more points.
Speaker 6: All right, a g. In the next three games, Tolbert will take over as the second wide receiver on the squad.
Speaker 4: Well, Brandon coaxes out for said three games, So in the next so when he comes back, it's like, okay, get back.
Speaker 5: Are you saying he won't be the starter?
Speaker 6: I'm saying I just said in the next three games, Tolbert will take over as the second wide receiver.
Speaker 5: That's two different things. Will he be the starter or will he be the guy that gets more opportunities? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 6: Okay, in the next three games, Tulbert will be the starter as the second receiver on the squad.
Speaker 14: After after after the next three games, Tolber will build will still be the starter on this offense on.
Speaker 6: This what.
Speaker 4: Okay? Interesting question here?
Speaker 6: Oh thank you? I thought I was just trying to confuse.
Speaker 4: You here, Okay, gosh, I love Branding Cooks like I.
Speaker 6: Love him every it's a compliment sandwich here.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I'm about to put it more on the on the coaching staff and that and the way that beutilized him. I don't think that. And I know earlier in the earlier in the season, they were Oh, I forgot what Gamy was were They just kept trying to give him the ball and it just was not working out for them. But I don't think they were doing it the right way. I think I think a guy like Branding Cooks, he's a lot more explosive than Tolber. Tolbert has been really, really good in what he's done, and I appreciate his work and he's being But the point is he catches the ball right, which is good. I'm I'm good with that. Just keep catching. But he's not a guy that's gonna keep the play going like he's gonna He's not gonna catch, run, yeah, and do all that. I think Brandon Cooks has that explosive part of his game that it could be more athletic in that way. So I'm thinking, what's the condition when he returns though? Is he going right out? Are they easing him in? You know? So I would go with sure, Tober is still your number two, because Brandon Cooks is being east back into the game. But honestly, I don't care as long as all three of them are on the field somehow.
Speaker 6: Derek, how about that?
Speaker 5: I don't think he will be the starter, because I don't think this team does that. Like I don't think they will take a guy like a Brandon Cooks, who has been a really good locker room guy for them, veteran, veteran presence. I don't think that from injury they will be like, you can't start now. What I do think will happen is I think as Dak becomes more and more comfortable with the idea that Jalen Tolbert can get the job done, what we will see is over the second half of the year, I think Jalen Tolbert will be in effect your second wide receiver because the amount of opportunities he will get will be more than Cooks. And part of that is I heard somebody say this, and I think, I think there's a belief that this may be true, that essentially Brandon Cooks can be his what the Cowboys use him for can be kind of replaced by a turpin like they they use him, they use They don't use him as a receiver that's running all around the field, using the entire route tree and really taking advantage of everything he can do. They use him more as a speed guy. And I think the difference is Tolbert's more than that, or at least the way they're using him is more than that. They're using him on a lot of different kinds of routes, and I think, quite frankly, one of the things I've noticed is it happened in this last game on the touchdown, but we've been seeing this throughout training camp and other times. Jalen Tobert, I think, has some really strong hands. He may not get a lot of separation, but he knows how to make a contested catch. And what I think I see from Brandon Cooks more frequently than that is if you're on him, there's a good chance he won't catch the ball. Like in those kinds of situations, defender tends to break it up or he tends to not be able to hold on to it. And I think because of that, I think again, Jalen Tolbert is just a more well rounded wide receiver at this point in his career, and I think because of that, he's going to get more opportunities and Cooks, even though I think Cooks will come back and be the starter.
Speaker 6: All right, Derek'll let you answer again. All Right, it's now more than critical that the front office needs to trade for a major defensive end.
Speaker 5: I'm not convinced of that just yet, because what I saw this last game is a defense that played as a unit. You didn't have any guys that really necessarily stood out as the guy, but as a unit, they played probably their best game, I would say, arguably as a defense, definitely against the run. I think they played an outstanding game. So I'm I'm kind of convinced as a well, I shouldn't have convinced. Right now, I'm thinking, you don't necessarily have to make a move yet. Let's see how this works over this next game. You're about to get challenged in this next game, so you're not gonna bring anybody in to make a difference this game. We're about to find out in this game and the likely well I shouldn't say the likelihood, there is a chance that after this game and the bye, you get Michael back. So at that point you got one of your defensive ends back, you kind of rotate in with some of those other guys. Let's see what Needland looked like. Looks like, what's four to six weeks, tank four to six, fourty eight weeks, whatever that might be.
Speaker 6: I think I don't know, only think six weeks, maybe six weeks six okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: But even at that, if I can get if I think I'm gonna get Micah back after the bye, then I think I might try to roll with this and see where it goes. Right now, I like what I saw from this unit last week. I don't know that I necessarily need to go out and find a gap because, by the way, anybody you go out and get, I don't think they're going to go out and make a trade for somebody that costs a bunch of money, because as we know, that's where they don't have a lot of options. There's a lot of money, and then you're giving up draft picks, which, by the way, you need those draft picks to play next year because you won't have as much money on the cap. So all this stuff factors in. I think you stick with what you got.
Speaker 4: Hey, g Yeah, I don't think. I don't see that happening, mainly because of the money situation and everything that it involves, and we know how limited they're going to be this off season in that and they're going to have to highly rely on draft picks. But also another thing is like depending on how confident are you on this football team just overall, like, do you actually see this team getting there? Because if so, then let's do it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Look right morning, like.
Speaker 4: Brian likes this. The NFL is a strange lady.
Speaker 6: So you hoody whatever you want to send us.
Speaker 5: But no, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't I don't see it. I just don't see it happening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're right about that. I think, Derek, I think both well. I think both the answered. I like what you're saying about getting Parsons back, you know, and kind of riding with it and see what you got. A right, here's the final one for you, A G on this one. Should the fans be concerned that Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott are having trouble getting the ball to Ceedee Lamb the second half of games?
Speaker 4: Forget the fans me, I'm concerned too.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: You should Ambar be concerned that Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott are having trouble getting the ball to Lamb in the second half of games.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's funny asked that question because when we were talking about Tolbury in my head, I started thinking on my what about CD, like he needs to h step up as well. I think that scenario that at this point we keep talking about oh, missing training camp. I mean we're we're in week six, six six, We're in week six of the NFL, So by this point we should be like, Okay, you've been here, you've been practicing all these weeks, so you should be good now as far as the connection there, and it hasn't been as good as it should be. Also, knowing the contract that you gave both of them, I would be expecting more from from CD, and he's had some some really good moments, even that block where he blocked two people last game, I mean that was very impressive. So yes, I am a little worried about it and concern and so should fans be. I would assume fans some some definitely are.
Speaker 5: Derek, you know, I'm I thought it was interesting. Did you hear Jerry's comment on this this morning? I thought his response was interesting. He was like, you know, it's last year or at some point in his career getting going early, and everybody's like you can't get him going ear, why can't you get him going early? And now they're getting getting him going early, and it's like, well, why can't you get him going late. It's it's one of those things that kind of goes back and forth. To me, I'm only concerned if it's a situation where nobody else on the offense is stepping up. What I think I'm starting to see now is this.
Speaker 4: The problem is when you don't have any I mean, we talked about the running game, but when you don't already have a running game established, you should be able to rely on the passing game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but here's the problem. The problem is if you don't have a running game established, then defenses are going to as the game wears on, they're gonna say, okay, this number eighty eight is killing us, take him away. And when they say take him away, what happens? And so the only way I get concerned is in the second half of games, when CD isn't necessarily being a part of the offense. Is much is if jayaln Tobert's doing nothing, if Cavante Turpin's doing nothing, if Jake Ferguson's doing nothing, if Lipkey's doing nothing. What I saw in this last game was all those guys stepped up in that second half, and so they were still able to get some good momentum going at times, and the running game got going, because that's the thing, like any offense can be. You can stop one player. Any defense can stop one player. If they choose to stop a player, they can stop a player. The question is who else can do something? And the more that Dallas shows that their other players, their other offensive skilled players, can make plays, the more defenses will have to say, Okay, it doesn't really do us much good to expend so much of our resources on this one player, because these other guys are gonna beat us, so let's just play him straight. And that's how you keep him going through the whole game. I don't think it's a matter of Dallas forcing it. If team's gonna take him away, let him take him away. Let everybody else beat him. And that's how I think they admit it.
Speaker 6: People minute the others don't start getting it done, then you should have.
Speaker 5: Then you worried.
Speaker 4: Then good stuff bright And I guess that's something that we saw last year too, where nobody else on offense was really doing a whole lot, but CD was the one trying to make him pretty much all the plays there, so right now, maybe it's just flip that way where everybody else is kind of doing little something.
Speaker 5: And look, I love what I saw this last game, because you did. You saw plays being made, like consequential plays being made by guys that were not the top line guys. If you're gonna be good, you're gonna need that. You're gonna need those kinds of players to make plays and games that force defenses to play you.
Speaker 6: Honest.
Speaker 5: It's why San Francisco, when they're fully healthy, it's such a problem offensively because they got five guys at any moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he goes crazy two weeks ago, right, so yeah, they just got all these guys they can keep throwing at you. And I think that's the that's the that's those are the offenses that are really scary. All right, good stuff, Ryan, We will take our final break. We'll come back. We'll try to get a couple questions here before we end the show. We back Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 15: Rad If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg Oldevo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike. Every play every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 15: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 10: No one comes close.
Speaker 15: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 2: See for yourself at LG dot com slash oldevo.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: If you shout how about them?
Speaker 17: Cowboys have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors.
Speaker 10: Together, you're one of a kind.
Speaker 17: Fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be be better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 10: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 5: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 18: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools feature required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 7: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah toddl leave the big cat repellent. He bought online, was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the.
Speaker 4: Break AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Final segment of the break Life from the SWVC Mortgage Studios at the Style. Let's get a question here from Alex Camacho. He says, through five weeks, what's one thing this team does really well and one thing that needs to improve to help make this football team more complete? Brian, let's go with you first.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they kick field goals and their penalties are bad. They do they kick really good field goals. Uh, it was funny though.
Speaker 5: Miss He's missed one and the block.
Speaker 6: The block was strange and Steve the center got turned a little bit, so they had a leaper on your side of the line got kind of turned aside, you know with the penetration, and they didn't and uh that lowed it was it was left. It was funny it was going left. They blocked it on the left side. It wasn't something that was a straight kick. It was more going to the left. And I've seen him kick the ball before where it's gone left and and drifted back the other way. Maybe h playing the wind or something like the outdoor stadium in things.
Speaker 4: Uh but yeah, flame the like the whattonness from the field.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the first was you know, grade from fifty something yards out. But uh no, the one thing that they do really, really, really well though, other than kicking the ball right now. You know, it's a good question, it really is. You have an answer. I mean, you have something, I know. But the penalties. The penalties are a problem, and I don't know if they're going to correct those. I think the I think the officials. I think there's some officials in this league. They're just going to call penalties regardless. I don't know if you're gonna get away with occasional non calls.
Speaker 5: But they can fix some of the dumb penalties, right, I mean, they could there are some.
Speaker 4: Dumb Penalties' talk about this for years now.
Speaker 5: That's what I mean by that is that's a personal thing, like that is a player. I'm not going to get sucked into this this pushing or punching at this guy like Brock Kaufman did in this game. That's what I'm saying, Like, those are the kind of penalties like I understand. I can understand to some degree, like aggressiveness penalties. Yeah, the wheat penalty. Come on, man, he was trying to I don't think he was trying to go forward.
Speaker 6: I think that happens.
Speaker 5: Are gonna happen. Caught in the chest and those kind of things are gona hap.
Speaker 6: They make the call because the head sets exactly right. It's why they make that call. And I think it's unfortunate that way, but yeah, it's But I'm trying to think of so something though that they do really really well. Quarterback was clutch. I mean, have they had to be clutch? I mean he brought him back in the Ravens game. They were too far back. Maybe the maybe resiliency. Yeah, I mean, well, I'm just talking for this season.
Speaker 4: Players they've drafted, all the younger players.
Speaker 6: I just think I think there's some resiliency with this group. They might get beat up, but I think there's they don't quit. That's Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: No, yeah, I went with you. I'm with you, not actually with our next question was actually gonna be that, but they were asking about do you do you think that the way this game played out, do you say that they're now and actually the same person, Alex Camacho says, do you rethink the toughness of this team after watching what they did this last week?
Speaker 6: Yeah? To me, this is where I going to Pittsburgh and winning the game with the number of players that they had down, I think was it was huge there. You know, to me, I've always a win as a win as a win. I never you know, people can style point this thing. I know. I did a post game to show it one three in the morning. This guy's like, you know, I just didn't like the way that they played, and I'm at one three in the morning. I didn't want to hear that, right, I'm like, they won a game in Pittsburgh that they probably shouldn't have won because of how beat up their team was. You know, they showed a lot of toughness a lot of pride mocks. They played hard for each other, They won a game that they very well could have won. There are a lot of people, a lot of cowboy fans, Trust me, I read your comments when you tweet at me and on my podcasts and stuff. You didn't think they were going to win this game. A lot of you did not think that they had a chance in this football game. They showed a lot of resiliency in getting that done.
Speaker 4: I think something important to know and going along with what Brian was talking about earlier resiliency and all of that, whatever adjective you want to use for that. But we were coming from a week where a lot of the way they practice was being questioned. Players were being like kind of starting to point at each other a little bit as far as like the comments that media was getting and then putting out there and questioning like are you doing your job? People Mica mentioning like don't be a superman, like everybody mentioning that same quote, like just do your job and do what you're supposed to do. And I think those comments could have easily derailed this whole thing and started kind of breaking up the team and splitting them in different routes, and we know once that happens, that's very difficult to get back together. So that's one thing that I would mention, the way that they've been able to overcome those and tally back and become a team and played with the type of aggressiveness that they played that were a very physical team against the Steelers. I think that it's I forgot what the initial question was, really, but I think that I do see a different kind of toughness after that game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do wonder if this is I wonder if Mike McCarthy is Harken backed. I mentioned this a couple of shows ago. Harken back to his days with the Packers when they went to the Super Bowl and they had all the injuries and really just told this team, look, it's you won't be the first one to have a bunch of injuries. And you wouldn't be the first one to have a bunch of injuries and still be able to accomplish some great things. The question is just how can you How do you do it? How do you pull together in a way to where you're better than the some of your parts?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: And I think that's what we saw last week was that this defense played better than the individuals if you take them individually based on the talent level of what they had before the injuries to where they are now. And that's where I'm like, I just think if you can keep riding that and you keep this defense at least playing, just hold the line until you can get some of these guys back, and then those other guys when they come back, get them to play within the defense as well in the same way. They have to play their role, not try to do too much, not try to do something extra, just play your role, and I think everything comes to you at that point. All right, appreciate you guys, join us. We be back tomorrow. We'll start looking forward to the next Cowboys game, happens to Sunday, Cowboys versus Lions. That'll be an interesting game, a lot of storylines around that one. We'll start talking about that tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Till then.
Speaker 5: For Brian brought us Nambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleson. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.