Speaker 1: I just want to say, moms are the friggin' best. I was on vacation and I walked onto the beach where Brynn was laying out, and she said to me, this man came over to me and was like asking me my name and where I went to school and all this stuff. And I guess he was trying to do like a play date with his child. Meaning on vacation. We're going to get into that people are so desperate and need to make plans for their kids and it's just not it.
Speaker 2: And I'll explain because I.
Speaker 1: Screwed up, but so I believe that the man was trying to make a plan for his child, but I don't trust a man. And I walked over to the chair and she was telling me the story, and another mom, like this blonde mom walked up to me and she goes, there was a man who walked up to your daughter and it was not appropriate. And brim I was like, she was just telling me that, and the mom's like, yeah, like that was not appropriate. So we got you and it was just like this community just like it's just the mom. You know, moms are the nosiest, yendahest bitches alive. But thank God, because you know, they're scoping it out. They're on vacation. This is their time. They got to fucking figure out everything. It's going out with everybody. They got to have their three drinks in at home, they're doing laundry, they're taking their kids to school, they're ripping their hair out. Their roots are you know, fucking silver. They're just trying to hang on by a thread. They're on vacation and they got they just want to like let loose, and part of that is like gossiping and watching what's going on in other people's lounge chairs, you know, And you see the hostility come through overall on a vacation because people just like you know, people get a little crazy. It's like they're getting a little crazy because they're not quite used to this new environment of relaxation. But anyway, I digress because I'm gonna get into that story about this lunatic by the beach. But this woman came up and she was like, we got you. And I just love that mom community that like mama bear cub community.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was on the plane coming home and Brynn was behind me, and the woman sitting next to her said do you want to sit near her? Like she just knew and but she herself, I guess her kids were back in first class. She was so happy to be away from her kids after a week. She's like, I have a fifteen year old daughter and you know her her hair was falling out too, after a vacation with her kids. So you can't win for losing because she went a way to relax and as she was with her kids for a week, so she doesn't know what to do. She wants to go back to doing laundry to relax after a vacation with her kids. But you know, it's just rough going, like being on a plane and you got your kids in the back. But like there was like a mom no, like she was looking to be with my kid, and she was just like you just speaking a language. It only a mom understands. So I got to give a shout out to that mom come up and being like it was inappropriate that a man is talking to your child. And by the way, he could have been wanting to set up a play day for his kid. Nobody gives a good fuck and it's touching story. Man, don't come talk to my child unless I'm present. It's just fucked up and creepy. And we live in too fucked up a world that a man cannot walk up to my child, much less in a turquoise bikini looking like a tan young goddess on you know, the beach, because you know, a fourteen year old could be an eighteen year old. Just stay the fuck away from my kid, any person, like frankly, any man, stay the fuck away from my kid. So now on to the story about like kids and play dates, et cetera. So it is a fine line between your kid not wanting to be lonely on vacation and like now being trapped with other people. So we were going on this last minute vacation Brennan I three nights in Turks and Caicos. Real impulsive, just like, let's do something we never do. Let's just not have it planned, let's just go together, get on a plane tomorrow and let's just do it. It was very exciting for both of us. It was bonding, It was amazing.
Speaker 2: So we went.
Speaker 1: So the first day in we were paddle warning and after relaxing all day because I said to her, I'll see you in three days as a joke, meaning like this is not like we're we go in this, go into the town, Let's go look at this, Let's go do that, let's go hang gliding, let's do I was like, this is called Mommy's laying on a lounge chair drooling and I'll see you in three days, which, of course isn't what happens. We end up swimming and going to nice dinners and having a great time. But like, I don't want any obligations. This is not the activation trip. This is not Costa Rica zipline and take a jungle tour, you know, put the mud masks all over our body, see the fucking monkeys.
Speaker 2: This is not that. This is like land, you goddamn ass. You wanted to go. We agreed to go.
Speaker 1: We could have gone to the Hamptons and gone ice skating and sledding and all that shit.
Speaker 2: Instead we decided to go to Turk.
Speaker 1: So enjoy the water, see you in a couple of days. And I have a very good kid at just being alone. Like she's just a very independent soul. She's like an artist. She likes to be free. She likes to go swim, she likes to collect shells, she likes to snorkele, she's the greatest. We're both loaners and it's great, but we like to be together like loaners together. So by this dame token, she would be having a different fun time if she had a kid, and it's really different because then at the end of a occasion, she starts to get sad because she didn't really get to bond with me if there were other people around. So she likes to have like one day with another kid, but ultimately she doesn't like too many. She gets sick of people after sleepovers and stuff like that. Okay, so we're paddleboarding in the afternoon, and I'm so trained from when they're young you just want to like connect.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jeremy's for and Brin's for too.
Speaker 1: Yay, they can be best friends for the next three days and you know, do collor spin art. But now she's like a teen and people are cool and they're not cool, and you like them and you don't like them. So there's a kid and now they're into the boys. So like, I don't know exactly what's cute, what's not cute, what's dork, what's not dork? Like I kind of do, but I also always tell her to be kind and someone could be not cool and they don't get to hang out with anybody. That was Once she was invited to about Mitzvah. It was someone She's not really good friends with them, but like I could tell by the vibe that like the kid, you know, she thinks he thinks she's popular and pretty cool. And so like he invited her, and I said, just go, It'll make his life. Like I know, you're not friends with them, you don't want to go, It doesn't matter you said you were gonna go.
Speaker 2: He's probably excited. You never know.
Speaker 1: If like he's excited you were coming in, it's going to ruin his day and you just do.
Speaker 2: Just be compassionate and just go.
Speaker 1: So we were in the water and there was this dad that we were talking to, and there was this kid. He was like fourteen, and he looked cute enough, and the dad was like, Oh, yeah, he's dying to go tubing and he's dying to do all this stuff because his siblings are older. And I'm thinking, oh great, it's someone BRIT's age. She's friends with cool kids, she's friends with dorky kids, she's friends with everybody. She's an equal opportunity friender, and she likes quirky people. She likes unusual Napoleon Dynamite types. So now she's sort of I go, great, Brun, I'll go on the tube because she always likes the tube, Like what's not to like the tube? But like I could tell she sort of maybe didn't almost want to go. So then I said, Okay, do you not want to go?
Speaker 2: She's like, no, I'll go.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she thought like maybe it would be an adventure and she might like it, or she felt guilty because I'd said it. I'd don't know why, but you said i'll go. So then she went and I said to the guy, I'll pay for half of it. He said, i'll get it, you can get tomorrow. I'm like, oh god, now we have tomorrow. So she went, and then after I think she like you know, said I have to now go over to the pool with him. And I went back to the room for a while, and then she didn't come back for a long time. I thought, oh, she's having fun. She met other kids, who knows. So then it was like hours later and I got scared because she was just at the pool like feet away from the room.
Speaker 2: But I just was like, where's this kid? So she came back. She like, I felt bad. I didn't want to leave.
Speaker 1: Like what, No, you're on vacation, Like you're not obligated to stay like and talk to anybody.
Speaker 2: She's like, I know, I just felt bad.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, so long story short, this kid's and the kid's father like kept, you know, chumming up with us, like hey.
Speaker 2: Where's Brnn and where are you and where are you gonna be?
Speaker 1: And now like on vacation with people that I don't know, and I'm like, oh my god, we're now like aligned. And the cautionary tale is like it's great for you to want your kids to meet people, but like then you can get into a situation where, like trying to enter the Witness Protection program on vacation, you're making up stories. I'm like, no, we have malaria, you know, Brenna Scurvey, she can't come out, like so she's like hiding half the vacation from people. So I don't know, you got to kind of let kids do their own thing. Like it's not a great idea when they're thirteen for parents to get involved in like who they're gonna meet on vacation. I almost think it's better for them just be annoying and lonely than aligning with the wrong kids, because then you might feel like you're on vacation with their parents.
Speaker 2: And I've had it too. You get excited in the.
Speaker 1: Beginning of a weekend and you like, you know, people are talking to you, and.
Speaker 2: Everyone thinks it's fun.
Speaker 1: And then you're like, all right, we're not on vacation with you, like we're doing our own thing. So vacations at hotels that aren't gigantic, and even ones that are gigantic. And I say that because like a kiddie pool, you know, if you have little kids, the kiddie pool, even at a gigantic hotel, becomes real small and you meet all the families and it's great to meet people on vacation, but you can also get really.
Speaker 2: Fucking sick of them.
Speaker 1: And they seem really cool on vacation and then you're like, yeah, and I'm gonna best friends forever. And I've done that too, Like it's all so just like tread lightly with the friends on vacation, like dip in and dip out, always hedge, always have somewhere you got to go and do like don't get into like, oh hey, we're dining at six o'clock too, let's sit with you guys, Like, I don't need to be negative, it's just I just think you gotta be a positive. You got to test drive people on vacation before you decide to buy. Not to mention the man ripping the people at the beach chair kiosk.
Speaker 2: Right, let's just fucking.
Speaker 1: Get this out of the way right now. Rule one oh one is like chairs are, like, it's a tough shit program. Hotels have to either like implement like you're in this room and you're assigned chairs, Like why isn't that a case? You are in this room. We have eighty five rooms at this hotel, and we have two hundred you know, the family of four, we have, you know, two hundred and fifty chairs like average.
Speaker 2: Out, Like right, that's what we have.
Speaker 1: And these are assigned to your room and you can fight it out if you only got two assigned to your room, like in your four people, that's tough shit. Each room should have two chairs assigned to it and not like a fight for your life, Like why is every hotel a fight for your life? A fucking beach chairs. So it's like the hostel program. People get up at seven in the morning to put their shit down on the chair. Then once the pool guys get in at nine, they start counting the time and making rules. You can't leave your chair for more than you know, forty five minutes, and you got to leave something on it. Now people are leaving forever, and you're resenting them because they're leaving and going down on like fucking zip line tours and like you know, glass bottom boat tours while the chair is.
Speaker 2: Just sitting there.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this guy, all I heard was this, get me two chairs. Now. I'm not exaggerating, like yelling at these guys behind here. I took everything for me to not walk up there and be like, why.
Speaker 2: Don't you go fuck yourself? Like I was crazy? What would possess someone?
Speaker 1: What do you think Those two guys that were and the Kiosk woke up today and they're like, we're just gonna fuck with the New Yorker and take his chairs, Like, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: The guy put his ship.
Speaker 1: I let later ask the guys what happened that he would yell like that he put a shit down on the chair. He went off to breakfast for a while or whatever. Someone else took it off and took his front row beach chairs. Yeah, it's called the tough shit program. Okay, if you think you can fucking yell loud enough with these guys, buy yourself your own goddamn island, or buy yourself your own chairs and get the fuck out of here. I was so mad, I was like, what the hell? And it makes it just made me sad. It's soul crushing. I said that my New Year's resolution was going to be that I can only control myself. I really love it, like I can't control what other people say or do. I can only control myself and my daughter. The other part of my New Year's resolution, it's a multi tiered New Year's resolution, is to eliminate people, practices, obligations, anything that is soul crushing.
Speaker 2: What do I mean by that?
Speaker 1: Like you, we're just so trained to do things we don't want to do. We don't even notice anymore. And there are things like there are jobs that I've had. I used to work selling on HSN. While it's a good company and they have a great model and it's great for some people, and people make a lot of money doing it. I would be two o'clock in the morning with neon lights, dehydrated and still talking about the same pair of leggings, like forty five minutes later, and your eyeballs would be falling out of your head on springs, and like the concept is that you're supposed to be happy because if you get this major ts, which is the sale opportunity, then you get to sell for twenty four hours and you make the most money because you're on the biggest sale. But you're up in the middle of the night with your eyes bleeding, and you're supposed to be excited. And I remember saying it was soul crushing, and like I kept doing it until I really just said, like I don't want to do this anymore. I gotta get off this ride. It doesn't matter how much money you pay me. There's no number you could pay me to do this. Years ago, when I had a radio show, they wanted me to come drive to Midtown every day and go in there and do the radio show five days a week when I have other obligations and I'm a mother, and I just I didn't want to know that I had to be trapped inside a dark studio all day doing a radio show. It doesn't mean that that's a bad job. It meant that for me, that's soul crushing. Being on the Housewives that was soul crushing. It was just it was wrong inside my body. It felt wrong. Relationships can be soul crushing. Plans can be soul crushing. Dynamics like sibling relationships, parent and child relationships, and those you can't like just you know, excommunicate a family member, but you can manage it in a different way. And I just do not want to put myself in situations anymore that are soul crushing. Like I had a business partnership for a production company where I got paid a lot of money. I was guaranteed a lot of money. I didn't like the way it made me feel. I just didn't want to do it. I didn't like the partners and I didn't want to do it. Why it was crushing my soul, crushing my spirit. I just think there's so many things that you can do and if at all possible, you can avoid circumstances that feel like they're crushing your soul and your spirit. Do it and it creeps up on you don't even realize it. I have this therapist. He's like a sort of more of a life coach therapist. He doesn't believe in obligations. It means like he believes in obviously you're in a relationship and it's sacrificed, and there are things that you do but you want to do them because you're in a relationship or you know it's the right thing to do. But like there's a fine line between that and when like you're being guilted into doing things.
Speaker 2: You're doing things because you feel guilty.
Speaker 1: You're doing them because someone else is telling you that's what you do, and it makes you feel suffocated. And that's the type of stuff that crushes your spirit and crushes your soul. And then you get into dynamics at work. There are certain people. The way that they speak to you, it kills you and you just like get into you get heated or you get lit up, and you just don't like the way that makes you feel.
Speaker 2: Change the dynamic.
Speaker 1: Either make it that it's email or that you text them, or that you're not the one that speaks to them, or you just find a way to like control it, find some sort of internal safe word with yourself, or find a way to like reframe it. But anything it's soul crushing, spirit crushing, just all of that should be eliminated. That is a big one. That's been a big one for me. But I'm really sticking to it. I'm not doing things that make me feel like my spirit is being dampened. It's too important to be alive and to be happy and to be positive, because you'll become negative real fast being around things that aren't good for you and that make.
Speaker 2: You feel bad about yourself or that crush your soul.
Speaker 1: Just don't do it, if at all possible, and don't allow yourself to be treated in a way that is less than what you deserve. And if people around you, family members, people you work with, et cetera, are doing that, it's not going to be that you can cure it in a day. But start snapping that leash very subtly. Start reframing retraining patterns. There's a way that a parent speaks to you that's like negative, or that they're just not being respectful, or there's some dynamic that was set up years ago. Start start to curtail that, start to snap that leash. And a great way to do that is to say calmly, it's unacceptable how you're speaking to me, or it's unacceptable how you're treating me, or I'm not going to stand around and listen to this. Like exit from whatever situation is uncomfortable. Exit if someone's not treating you properly. Exit if someone's not speaking to you properly. In the micro or the macro. That means you could break up with someone if that's habitual, or you could just step away from the situation at a holiday dinner if it's something with a family member that you really can't control. Take yourself away from things that have negative energy. It's very contagious and it's about them, not you. I'll give you more New Year's resolutions. Play tennis with better tennis players. Do not dumb yourself down. Do not punch down in your weight. Like if you want to get good at something, play the game with someone better than you, whether it's literally a game like tennis or volleyball, or whether it's a working Elevate the game, and do not accept less than what you deserve. I was telling my daughter today about a circumstance. I was saying, this has nothing to do with you. It has everything to do with them. And just because somebody tries to dampen your spirit or make you feel bad that nothing. Do not allow that. That is contagious, that will penetrate. Do not allow that. Find a distance from that, keep a distance from that. Keep yourself protected from negative energy from people that try to bring you down and treat you less than what you deserve. Do not accept that