Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Happy Holidays. I'm Leanna Holston and I'm Sienna jacob Hey, and welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the American Film Ins to do. It's one hundred greatest movies of all whatever, a very slightly less racist tenth anniversary edition, and are now in and amongst the Christmas spirit. Yes, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: This podcast is a safe space for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Little Women nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: If you don't bring last or nothing, it is, well we did. I think there are so many lines and I can't pay anyone.
Speaker 1: That a film a film we chose because we're not watching films a lot a lot of films by women.
Speaker 2: M and it's Christmas y mm hmmm, and I've heard about it morning.
Speaker 1: There will be spoilers about this Uh sororal? Yes, sisterly old film?
Speaker 2: Is that the term serraral rural sural sirol genre?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Sienna, could I I don't know, could I hear your prediction through this movie?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, Uh yeah, no worries if not.
Speaker 1: Ky Leanna, this is Sienna, I'm about to watch the Nine Little Women nineties. I'm not all that familiar with the Little Women franchise, however.
Speaker 2: Normalize that. Excuse me.
Speaker 1: However, I did read a book called The Mother Daughter Book Club when I was in middle school, and in that book they read the Little Women Books book, the Little Women Book, and they spend time in Concord and they talk about Louise and may Alcott and it's very cute, and they all compare themselves to which girl they are.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I know a little book about it.
Speaker 1: I went the word homebody from those books. Yes, I know all be a lot like those books. You know, four girls in the two thousands and their moms. Anyway, I'm excited for the vibes. I know it seems christmasy, just in the old timiness, but I don't know how much Christmas actually plays a part. I know Beth is going to get sick, and I know the main want, Joe is going to cut her hair off. So yeah, she wants to be a writer. Okay, I love you, goodbye. I came in thinking I knew very little, and then I realized I knew a lot just from being alive and reading those books, and so then I said all.
Speaker 2: Of it and thank you well, Sienna. Here's my prediction of Little Women nineteen ninety four. Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch Little Women nineteen ninety four question mark. Yes, I've seen the newer version. I've not seen this one. So I predict American girls with dness, spirit, and I'm not sure that I'm in a space for that energy right now. So I'm sorry in advance.
Speaker 1: Love you bye, Okay, Leonna, Hey girl, Hey good.
Speaker 2: Girl, Hey girl girl. Honestly, that was dramatic. I don't know what was going on with me in that. I will say I'm alone again. My family was in town, but during the course of that, my flatmate left town because they booked. They booked a TV show in Los Angeles that they're shooting for like a week and a half. But as a result, they're gone for all of December again, hotday time. Alone again in the shortest, darkest days of the year.
Speaker 1: Where you're supposed to hunker down with the close people that you know in your.
Speaker 2: Near, near and deer, and instead I am in here alone. I treated myself to turning on the heat. Okay, I'm so cold. Wow, and there's no one else in here.
Speaker 1: Your vibes are actually perfect for this because you're experiencing a lot of what these you feel like. Your lifestyle in twenty twenty four London has actually a number of similarities.
Speaker 2: Civil War era concord. Yeah, yeah they yeah. Well, how was your family being in town? Oh they're fine, thank you, Hey girl, I'm just kidding. It was fun. It's I mean, you know, my family, we haven't relaxed a single day in our lives. So we did like two activities a day and walked everywhere in between. At one point, I had to tap out because I had to do my laundry and edit this podcast. And I was like, I can't walk and do both of those things. I can't. I have to be in We have to walk. We're walking. That's so funny. It's so different from my family. We did pretty much every possible thing. Why my family was here, we did every possible thing. You know how it is, you know how it goes? Hey girl, how girl? Family? Did you recover after Lady Chatterley's Lover? Yes, it's okay. Things are never the same. No.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, my families were in another way of being like, it's fine, Like I don't know, it's just why why wouldn't any of us leave?
Speaker 2: We're all talking about eating us?
Speaker 1: No, actually, it's a running joke in my family that for a while, my brother and I kept talking about eating ass because it would make my family, my parents so upset. But we also I think, I don't know, we can't keep this. I think it made them assume we were both eating a lot of ass.
Speaker 2: Please can we keep that? Okay? Fine, I don't want to reveal my secret. I'm in a period right now where my parents think my brother and I are eating a lot of ass.
Speaker 1: We were making the joke so much that I think they were like, we don't need to know about what you guy are doing. And I was like, I would actually love if that was like a thing about me, but that's not happening in terms of me being like an interesting straight person. But I'm like, I don't want to have to tell my parents I'm not eating any ass.
Speaker 2: Mom, dad, I'm not eating ass.
Speaker 1: But my parents have that thing of being like, we don't want to hear about that because that's like a new thing. And I'm like, mom, dad, I don't think.
Speaker 2: It's a new thing. Anyway, That's not what I meant to talk about. Oh right, hey girl.
Speaker 1: First of all, there's a dog in my house right now?
Speaker 2: Can I see it? You want to get it? Can I see the dog? Please stop the recording, stop the episode? No, but would you go get it at the end?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay? Who is that it? Where did it come from? What is it? Why? Tell me?
Speaker 1: Is dating somebody who has a dog and she just lets this dog stay with us? Oh?
Speaker 2: You're in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: I'm in Los Angeles again. Okay, so sorry, I'm in Los Angeles again.
Speaker 2: Oh? I love that? What kind of dog? Oh my gosh? Is it just like a little scrap?
Speaker 1: You can tell me at some point when you see Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, at the end of this episode, I will I d a dog everybody. But it's a good it's a good dog.
Speaker 1: Came and greeted me. I actually they came and greeted me. I don't know their gender.
Speaker 2: But you know, oh my god, Uh, what's their name? June? June? Yeah, it's not that cute. Jude. Did I ever tell you about the time I was having a dinner a friend's birthday dinner where so there were some really posh guys who went to Oxford and they were saying that they were going to go see the movie Dune. But they were so posh that they pronounced June, June, June. We're going to see June, seeing June, going to go see June. I was like, what, Oh, I love that. I love that Dune is in your house right now? Dune.
Speaker 1: Did I tell you about when I was very small and my dad took us to Florence when I was a kid because he loves Italy so much, and the pope, the Pope trope.
Speaker 2: I swear this happened.
Speaker 1: No, we were the Spanish steps in his pope trope By, but like we knew that trope By.
Speaker 2: Was he in the popemobile? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No way, we knew it was gonna happen, like we were prepared for it. Like we went and people gathered around, okay, and there was a British man next to us. I was like so young, I could barely keep up with what was going on. But there was a tall, red haired British man next to us, and he went, he's that the poop? When I was a kid, I remember vividly this man calling him the poop, and I was like, Oop, It's like, Mom, Dad, what is going on over here? Do you hear that man calling the pope the poop?
Speaker 2: Poop? Set the poop? Your youth is really bookended by ass.
Speaker 1: A youth bookended by ass. Well, I guess that's enough, hay girl.
Speaker 2: For now, Leonnat the poop? Should we move on? Yeah? Talk about this movie? I guess I did you end up having a good time? Girl? I hated this movie, but I have my reasons. Okay, whoa before we get into that, Okay, would you please give us a synopsis of Little Women nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: Yes, unfortunately, I loved this movie. But I haven't seen any little women anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've never seen a little woman. I've never seen any little woman in my life. All the women I know are big. I only know big women. That's how I want to do Big Women review Little Women? Well, this is very biased. Little Women.
Speaker 1: The March sisters and their mom are queening out in Concord, Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: The girls experience adolescence in their surprisingly feminist Transcendentalist household during.
Speaker 2: The Civil War era.
Speaker 1: Oh is the cool one who's going to be a writer? Wants to be more than just a wife and doesn't like when anything changes. Meg is the oldest. She's kind of conventional and chill.
Speaker 2: You could call her the boring one, but we love her. Beth gets scarlet fever, parentheses dies. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The youngest. Amy is a mean child who grows up to be a graceful painter teenager. Their mom slays big time.
Speaker 2: It's charming and sisterly, with cakes and snow and discussions of what it means to be an interesting woman in the world in a world with society. The end yay, in a world with society.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so shocked you didn't like it and I can't wait to hear about.
Speaker 2: It, Leona. Shall we move on to phone notes? Yes, hello everyone, This is the section of our podcast where we read the notes that the other person took on their phone while watching the film. But first we have a segment Leanna explains herself. Okay, let's hear it. This is our segment. Leanna explains herself. Hello, my name is Leanna. Hi, listen, I loved Little Women twenty nineteen. Got it makes sense, so we will watch that in a few days time. So you're by I think I predict. My prediction of Little Women twenty nineteen is that you'll understand my feelings on Little Women in nineteen ninety four. Gotcha. So I am biased and I could not. I had no I was. I was helpless against comparing the two see consciously or subconsciously, and I just like the other one more. Sorry, sorry, I don't dislike the story. I love feminism really not sounded like it. And the North's opinions during the Americans before.
Speaker 1: We said you didn't like it, so none of us can be sure of that. I'm not sure you feel about feminism or the North's opinions on Civil War.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I keep those those pretty close to my chair that you've never answered. When I ask you, you say, I can't tell you. You know, there were so many sides. There's so many sides. No, there's so many sides to feminism. So that's where I was coming from. Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I was lucky not to have seen anything, so I didn't have any comparing to do except for the Mother Daughter book Club. All right, Well, let's get into our phone notes.
Speaker 2: Leanna.
Speaker 1: Your first note is Christian Bale.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh no, in what way? I'm so afraid of Christian Bale. I get that. I find him so scary to look at. How do you feel about Christian Bale? Are you not terrified of him? I feel SIMI. I'm similarly like, hmmm, great, hold his mouth weird. I'm suspicious of him. Great, but okay, thank god. Same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's He's kind of neutral to me, but I have a bit of suspicion.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I loved when he went evil mode. He became so evil, like who grows a pointy triangular go to.
Speaker 2: You're making such a choice. Yeah, I didn't like his general face. Lelana, you said an amazing sentence.
Speaker 1: You said something which we should be asking for this entire month, which is is this on purpose Christmas?
Speaker 2: Which? What does that mean? It started and I was like, wait, why are we doing this at Christmas time? I know we feel like it's Christmasy, but is it on purpose Christmas? Or do people just associate it with Christmas? Oh? And then they hung a wreathe up on a door and they will pay for I see, And I was like, oh, every Christmas. Yeah, you wrote instantly Christmas and I was like instant. I wasn't sure, so I wondered if it was on purpose Christmas. Sometimes things are not on purpose Christmas. Yeah, true Christmas. We just think we're just like it is because, Yeah, Siena, you wrote there are really a lot of women here. It's called little women. It's not called a lot of women. When it started and it.
Speaker 1: Was four sisters around their mom, I was like, this is the most woman.
Speaker 2: This is the most women I've seen. This is the most woman women. This is the most women, the most women on screen maybe ever at one time, since women talking. Maybe you just don't see that many women in one frame almost ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love true all. Leanna you said, ah, this is so cute and cozy. Too bad, Bet is gonna die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is how it feels. Sorry, guys, I'm on the run.
Speaker 1: I just threw my sister's manuscript in the fire and she's so mad at me, she's gonna kill me.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. Wait, let's do this. Which woman are you? What does make sound like?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just rude that they gave her a name that sounds like meg and ug in the egg.
Speaker 2: Men and ug Meg Meg egg. Which little women are we? Okay?
Speaker 1: It feels like we're in the mother Daughter book club right now?
Speaker 2: Which one do you feel like? I guess Joe in that the cool one. No one is proposing to me. Wait, that's not her at all. She very much gets proposed to. I guess Beth, the one who gets scarlet fever and dies. You know that moment where Beth is like, I'm gonna die? Well, okay, Also that moment where she's holding a baby. When she's holding a baby and she's like cry, Absolutely she loves being at home. She's like, yeah, I don't need to go anywhere. I'm really loving it here.
Speaker 1: She's sick and she's just like curled up on the couch all the time. People are talking to her, and she's like, which wasn't that.
Speaker 2: Is how I am at home too.
Speaker 1: I always act like I'm sickly, but really I'm just kind of tired.
Speaker 2: How about you? Which little woman are you? Well?
Speaker 1: I think you know, I mean, I think we're all Joe in a way. If you're a feminist adult, which is that you're like, oh, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: Yep. Let me definitely say I am a super definitely Joe adult.
Speaker 1: No, Well, I guess I say that because I don't want to be like I'm Joe. But okay, what I resonated in Joe is that I liked that she was like, I am so scared of the idea of being a wife that sounds that concept is terrifying to me. But what I noticed about But I also I'm also big sister Mode a lot of times like Meg.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, the big sisters. You identify more with Meg than with Joe, because Joe has to big sister Amy a lot. That's true.
Speaker 1: You know, the relationship between Amy and Joe was so gabby and I at points I only wondered, oh my gosh, I want to say something about Amy and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: This will come up to my badges and trages.
Speaker 1: But she was such a feisty young girl and then she they made her so boring when she grew up, which bothered me a lot, because I'll tell you one thing, feisty children grow up to be feisty adults. I had a ficy younger sister. She's awesome now, but she's still super funny because she was a feisty child, like Amy wasn't funny or anything.
Speaker 2: I feel like if what's his name? Larie. If Laurie were to come and visit her and be like, I want to get married to you, she wouldn't just be like, are you still in love with my sister?
Speaker 1: She would be like, oh, now you want to marry me?
Speaker 2: M yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, pretty boy? Why don't you prove it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know, because she'd be she said, pretty boy, he'd got pubes on his chin. Okay, pubee boy? My bushes burning. Yay, we found a use for it. My bush burning.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said you said Mega has a cane. Truly a flop. Oh my god, I didn't know she had a cane. Meg is such a flop.
Speaker 2: She is. She is so boring. She is from Ville. She everyone means her ankle at the ball, she has to walk with a cane. I didn't even notice that. How did I mess that? What is wrong with this woman? That is? She's so frank?
Speaker 1: You know that people everyone knows someone who's just like sort of a downer in a way. They're just like not funny about it. You know, everything goes wrong and they're kind of like, you know, She's like, oh, yeah, I hope these shoes look okay, I got them from the free bin. Like it's fine, that's completely fine, Meg, you don't have to be, you know, so wame about it.
Speaker 2: She's like, it's okay, I'll just go. She goes to the ball and everybody makes fun of her.
Speaker 1: I made this dress. I sewed it myself. Oh okay, Meg, well, uh, I really like that color. I haven't seen it since before the war. Oh well, maybe i'll change my outfit then, And then she does, and then the guys she gets slut shamed by Laurie, by the way.
Speaker 2: Wrote that exact thing down. Thank you. Yeah, I hated that, thank you.
Speaker 1: But then she's like she goes and sits over at the side and she's like, oh, I got slutshamed by this.
Speaker 2: Guy, Like that sucks my family friend. That's awful. I'm so sorry that her family friend slut shamed me a bunch of football.
Speaker 1: It's like, also, those shoes I got from the free bin twisted my ankle in them.
Speaker 2: Now using she's literally sure, she is eger.
Speaker 1: Okay, Meg, all right, you could you could do stand up about all of that, but instead you're just okay.
Speaker 2: Be interesting about it. God, I'm sorry. Bad things are happening to you, but be interesting about it? And how is egg? Uh? Leanna?
Speaker 1: You said, Amy, shut up about the limes? I did not know how much, little woman?
Speaker 2: Why do I keep doing this? You keep singularizing women. Little women talked about limes. I didn't know they knew about limes. I didn't know either. It was a real thing. It was a silly band. They get limes from the market. Silly bands, Remember silly bands in our era? I do, of course. What is it now?
Speaker 1: The thing that everybody has a thing?
Speaker 2: And I'm so pleased to not know that? Is it snapchat? Maybe it's make up? It's not snaps from snapchat? Is it? What is it again? What is it? Oh? My god? Oh I know what you're know what you're referencing? Skippity skimmity, skibbity toilet. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes yes.
Speaker 1: They're treating skibbity's instead of limes these days.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand it, did did you? Do? You remember the game how many limes at your high? At your apartment? I was actually at someone else's house, which is what made it so fun. We were at a party, and yeah, I was really bored, and there was a huge bag of limes, and so I started hiding them on my person. Where were we?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was so funny.
Speaker 1: Where was?
Speaker 2: It made me think of that? Yep, that is what it made me think of. Twenty four limes and I was like, how many limes? That's what it made me think of.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: I remember a time when bless when were also the career Fellas folks listeners fellas. I've never addressed our listener basis Fellas Fellas. If ever you're bored at a party and there's a huge bag of citrus near you start hiding it really funny and get your friends together. Why did you get a gat me? I think like eighteen? It was amazing, It was amazing. It was nuts.
Speaker 1: Leonna reinvented the lime craze of little women. Leonna, Okay, you said I'd have let Amy die, and I understand. You know what this is though, that feeling that you felt. They created the real feeling of sisterhood through this film. They depicted it so that you wanted to kill that child. Yeah is what it feels like to be an older sister. Mm. But then yeah, you end up saving them because of course you love them, but you want to actually kill each other.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. It's like, I hate her. I love her, but I hate her. I hate her so much I will go get her.
Speaker 1: But oh, Leonna, you said, let's let's do some of these notes here. You've said, I promise to kiss you before you die. The bar is so low.
Speaker 2: But honestly, if somebody said that to me now, I'd be like, oh, great, Well, at least there's something on the docket, something in the diary. Okay, that's great. Are you seeing how well one guy promised to kiss me before I die? So I will be at some point. Yeah, I got a lot of things going. Genuinely, if a guy promised to kiss me before I die, I would accept that. That's where we're at. If a person who I was tolerant of was like, I'll kiss you before you die, I'd be like, dearest family, I've started seeing someone. It's getting pretty serious. He promised to kiss me before I die. We're making plans, so please save the date before my dad first, make the save the date for my death. Not sure when that's gonna be, but before that, any of you know a palm reader or mystic of any kind who could agulate a year would love to know when that's coming up. I need to figure out what I'm gonna die because I promised to kiss me before that. Yeah, I gotta go find.
Speaker 1: Him at some point in your lifetime.
Speaker 2: I will kiss you on the lips. I'll kiss you before you die.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said, Joe, I am one thousand percent sure you are heterosexual.
Speaker 2: Laurie, who is wrong? You watched this movie? You're telling me Joe straight. She's like, I'm not interested in you that way. Sorry, we've been hanging out, Like then you ever want to be a wife ever? I love writing about women. I love women so much. I never want to marry.
Speaker 1: You're the hottest guy in town, and I just don't like you like that.
Speaker 2: I feel nothing towards any man, Laurie. But wow, do I almost have it all?
Speaker 1: But he always kisses people before they want to be kissed.
Speaker 2: I hate him. I just hate him. He's so unsettling. He's like a frog. He's like having a frog in your pocket. I don't like him at all. I don't want him around. He would ruin Christmas.
Speaker 1: He's like having a frog in your pocket. I don't want that.
Speaker 2: I don't like that because something's always hopping about. You think everything's fine, but there's a little ribbit coming from somewhere and you're like, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: I thought he was a very well portrayed version of this character, like when he later settling boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he later plays like a suspicious actor. Christian bale I wrote this down later, but I'll say it now, which is that he goes through a winter arc. Do you know this term? No.
Speaker 1: I learned this from high school for men. They explained it as specifically for men. But a winter arc, it's kind of like a villain era. It's like a villain arc. But it's not that you're becoming a villain per se as much as it's, like they said, it's like when a when a Jim bro or when a guy gets broken up with and then he's like in the gym all the time and he's like I'm fine, I'm fine, but he's like, she broke up with me. That's like a winter arc. Like I guess it's he's hunkering down in the winter, just like Okay, going through his era of yeah, feeling sorry for himself and being with himself, like depressed.
Speaker 2: And building building up a den to sleep through the winter instead of processing. Yeah yeah, instead of processing. And he's like, I gotta do my music. I'm doing my ah and hopefully like in old movies when a man would go bowling, so when a man goes bowling in the nineteen forties, that's his winter art. I think it's literally like that, Like, okay, yes, it's not that he's completely putting on the villain outfit. It's that he's like putting on the writh.
Speaker 1: Even though Laurie does truly put on the devil's facial hair.
Speaker 2: He gets Satan Go tea, Satan's Go tea.
Speaker 1: But he also just like, I'm just really focusing on my music right now. I'm just dating or whatever. But I'm not still in love with Joe.
Speaker 2: I'm not at all. But we should totally can't, Samin. Actually, I'm super fine. I won't be in your family. I'm supposed to be a family. This guy's so weird. Oh give me a few moments. I'm just gonna go close the window because the wind is picked up. I'm sure when I turn around everything will still be the same.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Leanna, you said, I know they're going to make her fall in love with this old man you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm the journey guy. Read that again.
Speaker 1: I know they're Oh you've said. I know they're not gonna make her fall in love with this old man.
Speaker 2: That's how I felt, too.
Speaker 1: I was completely in the nile when he entered the entered the chat.
Speaker 2: He's like, what okays that she just.
Speaker 1: Left her hometown and now there's this German guy, an old man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the hell was that?
Speaker 1: No, okay, I'm guessing that doesn't happen in the next one.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying anything.
Speaker 1: I what I did like about Joe's whole thing, Well, this will be in bad just too, but just her that her mom's like, you're not an ordinary girl.
Speaker 2: You can't have an ordinary life. And yeah, in today's day and age, she would.
Speaker 1: Just be what she is gay, But back then she had to go to New York and shack up with a German guy, an old German professor.
Speaker 2: Is the close you get to a girlfriend at the time. Yeah, yeah, that's so grim and true. I loved, Oh my god, that she had to have something interesting. H that was awful. Cianna, you wrote why'd they zoom in on that doll? Are you talking about that buxom doll with the tiny head. Yeah the hell was that?
Speaker 1: What was that like Beth? I think it was like Beth's doll, Like the small doll represented Beth, which is just so mean. Like the girl already gets scarlet fever. She has no personality traits besides being kind to babies, to the poor family, and thus she brings them a potato. She brings them a potato and gets the scarlet of a fever. She brings them a potato and his hand and a baby who has scarlet fever. And then they zoom, I'm trying to be nice to you, and you hand me a baby who has scarlet fever. I'm sorry, No Leanna's Leanna would enter her winter arc. I cannot believe they zoomed in on the ugliest doll that's ever existed.
Speaker 2: It's nuts, its shape was it looks crazy any of those toys that sid would make and toy story, I eat two things smashed together.
Speaker 1: We'll have to find a picture for the memes or something of the the actual shape of that doll. And they zimmed in for a long time, long enough for you to go, who is that?
Speaker 2: Am I supposed to know?
Speaker 1: That the only thing in her box was like that horrible doll. And then and then there was a big newspaper that remember back when they wrote those newspapers, which was cute.
Speaker 2: They wrote those and Beth would be like.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to write, so I just wrote a recipe.
Speaker 2: I'm so dumb. Oh I forgot that.
Speaker 1: So she was the one who never can contributed to anything good, and yet they kept those newspapers in her chest. I'm like, wow, that's so insulting. This whole thing is so insulting. Her horrible articles and the ugliest all that's ever existed, that's her legacy.
Speaker 2: Maybe, well, I guess that's why she was like, yeah, I'm kind of cool with shuffling off this mortal ques. It's time for me to go. No, it's not the place for me. It is, let's be honest, it is. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Also, how about when Winona Ryder looks out the window for long enough that when she turns back, her sister is dead. You have to read my note. Okay, Leanna, you said, Okay, Leanna, you said. First of all, you said, I feel like I've spent this whole film waiting for Beth to die, Yeah, and what is life?
Speaker 2: But that then you.
Speaker 1: Said, OMG, is she gonna turn around and her sister is dead? And then below that you've said lmao, because that's exactly what they did. That What a time to get distracted, Joe.
Speaker 2: What a stupid movie choice. That's so dumb. It's like that scene in that movie where that guy turns and his friend has died while he's been talking Midnight Cowboy. Okay, yeah, the Midnight Cowboy.
Speaker 1: They're on the bus and he's talking and talking and talking and then he turns in his.
Speaker 2: This was the same. Joe got so distracted by the wind, but she had to go watch it for long enough for sister to that No, Beth, Well, fetch the buxom doll, she's gone. If I got buried with a buxom doll, I would haunt that house for a millennium. The doll was.
Speaker 1: So weird looking Lea Leoni, you said, never reject a man because he will marry your sister. Seriously, imagine somebody that you had like kind of a thing with h ended up. You come home and your sister's like or brother, He's like, yeah, sorry, I hope you don't fee awkward.
Speaker 2: But we're getting married. Now they are married. It's crazy they were already married by then. He's like, may I introduce you to my wife? Don't do that? Don't don't you be doing that? And then it's my sister. No, Oh my god, I would be furious, Leona, your final two notes on this movie.
Speaker 1: And I know that you say it's because you did the twenty twenty one one you like it more. But all this just seems also like the vibes of the movie itself, which is twins terrible news. And then your final note is slanty face with just a million slants. In other words, I felt so deeply meg about this film.
Speaker 2: I felt men and ug so meg, very Meg. I loved it. See your final note is the noun for this episode needs to be limes or doctor bangs? Who's doctor bangs? Okay?
Speaker 1: I see why you didn't like this film, because this, hands down is the part of the movie that made me laugh for the longest.
Speaker 2: Which is Beth is dying. Yeah, and the learned man, the doctor would have across the street, that professor.
Speaker 1: He comes in and he's like, I'm so sorry, I brought my doctor doctor Bangs. That's his name. The doctor's name, doctor Banks, which, by the way, a lot of these women desperately needed.
Speaker 2: They needed a visit to doctor Banks. Yeah. Ah, like when you know, when you go through a bad breakup and you get visited by doctor Banks.
Speaker 1: I'm going through my winter arc aka scarlet fever.
Speaker 2: Aka I got a visit from doctor Banks. I only have one person to carl. I need a house call car, doctor Banks, I'm taking you to doctor Begs.
Speaker 3: I could not believe that was his name, ring, doctor Bank, doctor l nine one one fetch, doctor Bangs. It's the funniest nator a doctor could possibly have, especially in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: That cannot have been his name. His name was doctor Banks. No, there's no way look at a little women physician. Oh my god, his name is doctor Banks. What the fuck doctor Banks?
Speaker 1: No, And there is something so feminist about the doctor and little women being doctor Banks, doctor Bang. I mean everywhere, here's the thing. Every woman has had, like a cross that didn't work out. Every woman has uh made a fool of herself over you know, something something stupid at a party. Every woman has gotten obsessed with something like limes when they were an adolescent and every woman has gotten a visit from doctor Banks at one point, or.
Speaker 2: Doctor Bangs when they're at their lowest, from doctor Bangs when near death. Invite doctor Banks. Yeah, listen out for the wind, because then you'll survive to die, you'll survive for at least a few more years. Oh that's right, it's before her. Oh my god, doctor Bangs lifts you up.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad we got to discuss that, because that was pretty much less away from the edge of death. I was laughing at that for a long time. I laughed, and then ten minutes went by and I got an uncontrollable laughing thinking about.
Speaker 2: The good doctor Bangs. Oh that was just swoot of a light. Well, Lea Bangs, Doctor Bangs, Doctor Bangs, The doctor bangs. The doctor is an apple a day. Won't do anything with doctor Bangs in town. Boom you got Banks, boom a PhD Baby Banks call me doctor Bangs gotta I've i doctor of a degree in cosmic cause mythology.
Speaker 1: Doctor is she okay?
Speaker 2: I think she's gonna be all right. He comes out. She has a beautiful fringe, gorgeous fringe, perfectly trimmed. Leanna Show will move on to UH bas and traged Yeah, yeah, whatever, like on a badge and tragices where we talk about UH where we give badges for doctor bangs and trudges for UH tutors who marry your sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah perfect.
Speaker 2: I very have few badges.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I'll start. I have a badge for the vibes. Oh, the vibes that when they were walking down the street, it's Christmas time, it's cold outside, they're walking down. They're holding a hot beverage and cub pastries to bring.
Speaker 2: To the family down the road.
Speaker 1: I love that their sisters, the vibes were the vibe and their sisters.
Speaker 2: A badge for music by Thomas Newman. Yeah, did the music for nineteen seventeen. As some of us may recall, badge for writing cap. I thought her writing cap was hilarious. She wore a cap every time she wrote. You didn't notice that? No, I'm sorry, look it up? Okay you mean right now? Yeah, okay, but you have to bring the dog in after this. Okay. Well known writer Meg not Meg John. It was Joe what's her name? John John.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 2: She wears it every time she takes it to New York with her. I love that.
Speaker 1: That's called romanticizing your own life.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for I do love this song Glowe.
Speaker 1: Nags Selsey's Day. I remember singing that in the bath as a child and sing not knowing how many times you were supposed to sing it.
Speaker 2: So I went ah for forever.
Speaker 1: Badge for so sister Core. I think this movie really nailed sisterhood. Yes, for example, it made you hate a young girl and that's exactly what sisterhood feels like.
Speaker 2: It gave you the feeling of what it's like, it's amer experience a child. Yeah. Badge for the house shaped mailbox that was so he goes and gets Oh, that is so the Gillmore Girls this movie. I've never seen Gilmore Girls. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was actually a scene when they were at the ball. I was like, I think there's an episode of Gilmore Girls that's literally referencing this, which makes sense because it's like, Wow, girlies in the Northeast being American.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, American girlies, American.
Speaker 4: Girlies, doctor bangs, American girl like to Baye reboot.
Speaker 1: Uh okay. A major badge for the feminist mom guidance. That was one thing I found really touching in this I thought Susan Sarandon was amazing. She really has a composure to her. But when the girls so much of this movie, I thought it was more of like these girls just talking to each other, reasoning things out. But I didn't know they had this mother figure who they just be confused about life and be like, Mom, I don't even I don't want to be here, I'm so mad at my sister blah blah blah, or I don't know what I want to do with my life, or I just feel like I don't fit in, And she would give them so much beautiful advice that often was like like, for example, yeah, some one thing that causes a lot of talk is when women are enjoying themselves in public, people are gonna talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or when she's like, Joe, you're not an ordinary person, so how can you expect to have an ordinary life? It's just like that's a good mom. I found that so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great character. Yeah, slam army slam arm Oh was that it? Mm hmm okay? Uh badge for cute gait similar to their uh the Ant. When she lives in the Ant's house, her gate is like a fairy gate. That is some rounded wood. I actually do not know how they made it, but it was so whimsical. Badge for doctor Bangs, doctor doctor Bee, doctor bangs, pawpaw.
Speaker 1: Badge for all the greenery. It's so beautiful. I couldn't get over the nature. Badge for the acting, pad releasting.
Speaker 2: You didn't say that last week when they were banging in nature during Cha's.
Speaker 1: Lover all I could see was it going.
Speaker 2: In doctor Bee, doctor Bank. He's everywhere for different reasons. If you look, Christmas really is all right.
Speaker 1: Badge for hating marriage. I thought that was very cool of her, and then badge generally. I thought the acting was really good. I thought Wenona Ryder was great and I was struck by her acting ability. I thought Kirsten Duntz was really good and I think children are are really stressful, but she was great.
Speaker 2: And also Claire Danes. Claire Danes ate that up. She ate the circles around the entire cast. My god, was amazing. It was very moving anyway. Yeah, powerful trag trages, trages, I have a trage for it. Respectfully, I am bored. I was bored. I'm sorry, sad, I'm sorry. I did not feel that way.
Speaker 1: Trage for my main trage is that Amy was just too lame. I thought they really In the video game world, we'd call it nerved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you take your time with that. You reflect on that.
Speaker 1: They nerved Amy, which is when you have a new release, When you have a new release of a game and they make all the characters way worse, that's called nerve. So they they re released Amy as an older version and all of the she was, for lack of a better word, a beach growing up. And then when she when she grew up, she's all of a sudden really nice. No, I want her to be like the angry one in the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For example, I grew up with a little sister who was a paste off.
Speaker 1: My little sister. When she was a kid, she was just pissed. And guess what now she's super funny and really stands for justice in all times that doesn't isn't afraid to speak up. And Amy wasn't like that at all. She became a lame lady.
Speaker 2: That's not what happens. She became lamey Amy. Mega's egg Joe is John, Beth is dead, Beth is death, Egg lay me Death Little Woman, The Four Beatles, The Little Little Woman starring Egg, John Death and lay.
Speaker 1: Emma has this app thing or like this website where you can look up your name popular now, like where it ranks, and then you can look up what name you would have had in another era based on like the same level of popularity. So it's like in the twenties, the seven hundredth most popular name was this, Yeah me, in like the in the nineteen thirties, my name would have been Harold.
Speaker 2: Your name, yeah, you girl, girl? You name Harold Siena.
Speaker 1: In terms of popularity as a female name in nineteen ninety seven, was.
Speaker 2: This as popular as.
Speaker 1: As Harold in the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 2: It was a hard decade, it was. It was depression, the depression and the dust, all the grapes of rare. There weren't many names to go around. They had to share Erld, Harold, Wow, I want to know.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's my only trage, But I thought I had another home I think of it.
Speaker 2: Then I'll let you know. Trage for LORI flat shaming. We touched on the hell was that that was crazy?
Speaker 1: He did apologize, but it was honestly creepier for him to be like you, and then's so weird. He runs and fines and he's like, I don't tell anyone. I said that, I'm really sorry.
Speaker 2: Okay. Trag for this pumpkin effigy getting dragged behind a cart.
Speaker 1: I thought that was funny, but it was creepy. Wow, these children are like, ha ha ha, let's kill, let's drag, let's drag the pumpkin man by horses.
Speaker 2: A trage for little women is like very tragic, Yeah, it is, Oh my god. Joe's entire life dream is to go to Europe, and then Amy goes and marries Joe's sort of X yeah, but then death dies. That's the life she and Joe has to date this old German philosopher. Oh, speaking of a trade for don't say please yourself to this girl, the German man. The old German man says please yourself to this girl, and I said, shut up.
Speaker 1: I wish I knew the context of that, but I agree.
Speaker 2: That's mm hmmm. A trage for this goatee the devil's facial hair on Christian Bale. Yeah, that was so funny.
Speaker 1: He was Oh, he came back and he said, I'm terrible now a trage for I hate this old man.
Speaker 2: That's the German philosopher. And my final trage is and we'll have to get back to this in our next episode. My a trage for wow. They are skipping over all the emotional peaks. Wow, which I'm excited to discuss with you.
Speaker 1: So interesting because I definitely did not feel like it skipped over emotional peaks. But I haven't seen that one, but I thought it hit a lot of emotional moments. We'll see perfect and excellent.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's let's burn off a curl into our next segment. How to pretend you've seen this? This is for you are at the ball in a new gown and Laurie comes up to you and says, you look like a slut. Your show was off like a slut. I had no idea I could see this much of you. You want everyone to see? Hello, doctor bangs, there's a slut in the house.
Speaker 1: Can you give bangs to her whole body?
Speaker 2: Cover her up a little? Does he talk about the movie at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just that's all.
Speaker 2: No, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: And in order to stop in order to stop Laurie, is it LORI? In order to stop Laurie from slut shaming you. Even though he's not talking about the movie yet, he probably will. One thing that you can do is you can talk about a feminist film, which is little So here are a few things you can say to to pretend you've seen the film Little Women nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: Laurie, stop it, for I have seen Little Women in nineteen ninety four. And you may not know this, but that is a film that is on purpose Christmas. Great point. Now, who's the ho ho ho wow? Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, Laurie, I've seen the film Little Women. Fun fact, Christian Bale's wife who he's actually been married to since getting married.
Speaker 2: Mm hm Okay.
Speaker 1: What I mean is many are that way. What I mean is it looks like he's had one spouse or this is his forever spouse. She was one Noona Ryder's personal assistant at the time of this film, and that's how they met. Wow, that's fun, a little bit of romance. Okay, I guess I'm just so suspicious of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't care about any of those people before reading that, but that's still nice.
Speaker 2: Stop it, Laurie, because I've seen Little Women nineteen ninety four and when Amy as a child aka Kirsten Dunst says the line it's nothing but limes. Now, that was actually the first instance of brat summer. I think one of her limes lines. I think one of her lines is literally like.
Speaker 1: If you don't have, if you don't have, if you don't bring limes to school, you might as well be dead.
Speaker 2: And Beth is like taking notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, okay, eh, Yes, Laurie, I have seen the film Little Women nineteen ninety four. Fun fact, this is Claire Danes's first feature film debut, which is incredible.
Speaker 2: But this is her film.
Speaker 1: This is her feature film debut, which is amazing because she ate this up. And also Claire Dane's hair caught fire while carrying a candle up the stairs during filming. Oh so art imitates life because they burned one girl's hair off on.
Speaker 2: Screen and one off screen. Yes, yes, Laurie, I've seen Little Women nineteen ninety four. Please get out of my way. There's someone here tonight who promised to kiss me before I die, and I'll be damned if I don't find them.
Speaker 1: Yes, Laurie, I have seen the film Little Women nineteen ninety four. The set designer pattered the interiors after the layout of Orchard House, Louisa may Alcott's actual family home in Concord, Massachusetts. Apparently that is one of the most fun houses that you can go visit because they don't rope anything off. Maybe they do now, but my friend was telling me about it. Anyway, I want to go someday.
Speaker 2: Cool. That's right, that is fun. You know where else they don't rope anything off? Where Mickey's House at Disneyland. I met Mickey as a child and we got to go into his house and sit on everything. Even though it's historical, they don't rope it off. I don't think it's historic Mickey Mouse's House. No, I know it's not historical. You're the one being crazy. They don't rope a thing off in Mickey's house. I love you anywhere. If you think my family was not usually going to a museum and when I was a kid, you're wrong. I never got to sit on anything. So when we got to Mickey's house and I could sit down. Oh, Disneyland really is magical. Wow. Well, now that you have shoved Laurie through the hole in the ice into the frozen lake, we can write a manuscript into our next segment, should you watch this or where we think? Uh? Where we telling you if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your time? Seatta, what would you say? I think you could totally watch this movie. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I found it to be very fun as a Christmas watch. I just I didn't expect I thought it would be it would.
Speaker 2: Drag more or be more boring.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any other one, but it really captured my attention.
Speaker 2: I loved the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I thought it was very sisterly directed by a woman. I thought it did a great job. Is there anything else I would recommend if you want to show it? It was kind of long, so if you wanted, it was a shorter experience. I guess you could read The Mother Daughter Book Club an entire book, but it's probably like in retrospect, probably maybe one hundred pages.
Speaker 2: Leanna, what about yourself? I would say, you don't have to watch Little Women in nineteen ninety four because you should instead watch Little Women twenty nineteen. Had a feeling you were going to say that. I don't know why. I knew if you're not in the mood for watching movies. Go bake a Christmas cookie because it's Chris. It's on purpose Christmas. It's on purpose Christmas. Ladies. Okay, ladies and fellas. Should we rate this film, which we forgot to do last week? We don't wait, Let's do it now. What would you rate Lady Chatterly's Lover? Oh? Yeah, Lady Chatterley's Lover two Chicks in a cage out of five. If I would watch it in another context, maybe it'd get closer to a four. But I can't go back in time. Leanna, what about would you? I would give Lady Chatterley's Lover five thumbs in a mouth five. I loved it great. And now, Sienna, what would you rate the film Little Women nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: I would give Little Women nineteen ninety four five charitable potatoes out of five. I enjoyed it so much. I think I loved the messages. I thought it was great. I just felt I felt so seen and held by this movie, and they killed it at the actic. Leanna, what about yourself?
Speaker 2: I will give Little Women nineteen ninety four two point five doctor bangs out of five. I really appreciate the feminism. I love a film direction a woman. I love a lot of women on screen. I do. I did not like how much older these men were, that these women were getting paired with. That made my skin crawl. And I think there's a version that did it better. Okay, And I was simply unable to not compare the two, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, fortunately we'll be able to directly compare them.
Speaker 2: Next we will post taste be comparing. Ah. Well that's been Little Women. We are Toss Popcorn. You can find us at Toss Popcorn on Instagram and follow us and uh subscribe at patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn. We always appreciate the support, so.
Speaker 1: Dan hello and join us next week when we will be watching What's.
Speaker 2: It Gonna Be? Little Women twenty ninety Yes, yay, little Woman. Happy Holidays, Happy Holidays, Doctor Bangs, Thank you, We love you.
Speaker 4: Bye ba Babe, Doctor Bangs, Bank Banks Banks, Doctor Banks Banging Around.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Oh, Sienna, would you please go get the dog? Oh my gosh, yeah, one, yes, one, there's a dog who's gonna be here. A dog is imminent. Where is the dog? Where is that dog? Where's that dog? Hello? Where is the dog? Please? I wish to I want to see the baby. I just want to. Can I pit that? Now? How did I do this? Can I bet that? Now? Oh, Sienna? The suspense is killing me? Where is the dog? Where is the dog? Oh? Hello? Oh? Oh my god, Hello, Hello, Hello, perfect lady. Look at that little woman. I love her dog. This is no, it's I imagine she's a mix. She's very tall. Oh I love her so much. Oh look at that happy tale and she's already so nice to me. Oh god, beautiful. You're being pretty normal regular regularly. Bye June bye, Dune, bye you Dune by June bye June June. Okay. Historically, need to stop