Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkschen and Dad, your passport must be worn out with all of those Canadian stamps.
Speaker 2: You're back in Toronto, right.
Speaker 3: This is great. As we said last week, what a great town this is. We have relatives here. It's great. But most important, Jeff, we're in the final four of baseball. You know, we talk about the final four in basketball. All great it is. Well, we're down to the Blue Jays, Mariners, Dodgers and Brewers. And I love our series here. The Mariners and the Blue Jays, who, as you know, were expansion teams the same year, nineteen seventy seven. They came in at the same time. And as I told you, when the Blue Jays played their first game ever against the White Sox that day in nineteen seventy seven, they had to use a zamboni or whatever it's called to get the snow off the field. That's how much it's snow before opening day in Toronto. And remember, Jeff, they didn't sell beer at Exhibition Stadium at least that first year, and the fans were chanting, we want beer. Well, they didn't get their beer, but they got a victory that day, and it was so cool. And again, the Mariners opened at the same time, same year. And if Jeff the Mariners and the Brewers advanced to the World Series. If you know, the Mariners have never been to the World Series. The Brewers have only been there once and they've never won it. And this would be if they were to meet. I'm way ahead of myself here, this would be the Seattle Pilots facing the Seattle Mariners in the World Series. Because remember, and you were not even close to being born. The Seattle Pilots played one year in Seattle nineteen sixty nine and then moved to Milwaukee. So the Brewers beginning started in Seattle, and then eight years later the Mariners came along and started their franchise. So it would be a fascinating series. We're not rooting for anything here. If the Seattle Pilots played against the Seattle Mariners in the World Series, it would be beautiful.
Speaker 1: And I mean both of these have never won a World Series championship, So I mean, I think that's what a lot of the country he is rooting for. I mean, you have the Dodgers obviously who won last year or storied franchise. Then you have the Blue Jays, who haven't won since nineteen ninety three, so they haven't won since the year I was born. They won back to back ninety two ninety three. And then you have the Mariners, never won, the Brewers never won, so it's refreshing, even though of course the dollars are in the major markets in the LAS and the New York's, but I would love to see a Seattle Milwaukee because then there are no losers. Dat It reminds me back of twenty sixteen when it was the then Cleveland Indians against the Chicago Cups.
Speaker 2: There really was no losing there.
Speaker 1: Indians long drought at that point still continues on to this day for World Series drout and then, of course the Cubs hadn't won famously over one hundred years.
Speaker 2: So I love the way this is setting up.
Speaker 1: And even if the Dodgers advance, it will still be a great AL team who needs a World Series championship because it's been a long time or not at all, And.
Speaker 3: We're not rooting for anything here, Jeff, except for a good story, and there are so many good stories in this final four. But Jeff, Game one. The takeaways begins with the game one, and you know we're gonna be a little late on this because we're a two man show here. We just don't have time to keep completely up to date. But game one of our series blue Jays and Mariners, took a major turn. Remember Bryce Miller was starting for the Mariners. He had a five to six to eight ERA this year and was starting on short rest against Kevin Gossman, who's the best pitcher starting pitcher that the Blue Jays have, and Gossman had a one nothing lead and retired sixteen consecutive batters when cal Raley hit a home run off him in six inning to tie that game. Bryce Miller was the star of this game by giving them six really good innings on short rest, and cal Raleigh, of course, along with Jorge Planco, was the star of the game. But so now that gave him going into Monday's game, cal Raleigh had played fourteen games at the Rogers Center in his career and had nine home runs in fourteen games in that stadium, and off of Kevin Gosman, who's impossible to hit when he's right, he ran his numbers off Kevin Gosman to eight for seventeen with four home runs with that big home run that he hit in Gay one. So as always with this unbelievably unpredictable season, we're off to a really surprising start. That Bryce Miller would win that game against the team that was fifty four and twenty seven at home this year in the regular season, it was a tremendous beginning to the lcs's in the major leagues.
Speaker 1: To quote you, Dad, I will give you one thousand dollars if you tell me the connection between Kevin Goussman and Emily Kirkchin my wife. One thousand dollars and the blank stare on your face makes you want to double it to two.
Speaker 3: There it's no idea where you're going here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think I've told you this before on the podcast. This is how it feels to be on the other end of the quist who This is nice?
Speaker 2: This is really nice. I know. Something that leads the connection is this up quoting remember National Treasure? Is this how you feel all the time, all the time.
Speaker 3: I just like to feel this one. This is how you feel all the time, Like, come on, have that movie? Another another realty pleasure. Agree, all right.
Speaker 1: So the connection is Dad, years and years and years ago, when Kevin Gossman played for the Baltimore Orioles, you got me. You went to some game and they give away free stuff all the time. You got me an Orioles T shirt that had his name and number on the back.
Speaker 2: It's like a free giveaway. You came home and you gave it to me.
Speaker 1: Kind of didn't really think twice about it, right, well, it stayed in my system of clothing, and then Emily adopted it as one of her what we call in our household sleepy shirts, sleep in you know, comfortable shirt. So she commonly will wear a T shirt it's an Orioles shirt.
Speaker 2: How funny is that? That's the connection.
Speaker 1: And so I told him the other night, I said, you know, he's stupidest thing ever, but he plays for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: I love it. That is so great. And I think you told me that before and I already forgot it. That is that is terrible, but that's great. Emily wearing number thirty four for Kevin Gossman. Soay, all right, Jeff, couple other takeaways here again we're laid on the Brewers and Dodgers. But the Brewers starting pitchers Jeff. In beating the Cubs in five games, went a total of thirteen innings and won a postseason series in five games, in part because their bullpen had a one twenty ERA in thirty innings. Pitch just another reminder, Jeff, how we've lost the value of our starting pitchers. It's not a complaint, it's not a criticism. This is just the way the game works. If you have a deep versa the bullpen, you're going to have a chance. And that's how the Brewers got through against the Cubs. Their bullpen carry them. Similarly the Dodgers, Jeff, beat your Phillies. The Dodgers hit one ninety nine in the series against the Phillies. The Phillies are a really good team and they beat them in four games. This is again how crazy baseball is. It makes no sense, and it made absolutely no sense during the regular season, and the same thing is happening here. And the last takeaway, Jeff, so Trey Savage' is pitching Game two. We're not going to be able to cover that on this podcast. But Cam Schlittler of the Yankees, Troy Melton, and Connolly early are all starting pitchers in the postseason, and in the postseason, the five starting pitchers posted a one ninety eight ERA five rookie starting pitchers one ninety eight ERA Jeff twenty seven and a third innings, three walks, and thirty five strikeouts. This is incredible that young pitchers come to the big leagues and they're they're ready to go. Not only is their stuff ready to go, but their command, their poised, their presence, their confidence. It's amazing to me how ready these young pitchers are, especially when they get to the big leagues. Those are staggering numbers. Agreed.
Speaker 1: I mean, Dad, I looked back at the box scores for the Brewers and in this order, these are the pictures. The amount of pitchers they used in each game four was the least amount, and they use that in game one, seven, six, five to five. So the average of that, Dad, is just an unbelievable amount of usage from their bullpen. And they always say pitching wins championships. But back to the rookie thing, Dad, and I have a question for you and your expertise. Don't you feel as if there are times and I'm not going to put you on the spot for examples where rookies and or young players succeed in the most difficult times because they don't really know how important this is yet, right, because they haven't spent ten years of the majors waiting for their first postseason appearance.
Speaker 2: Right, They're just here.
Speaker 1: Because and this is what they think. Everything is so almost the nerves are null and.
Speaker 3: Void, right, Right, there's an expression, jeff, ignorance is bliss. And these guys aren't don't even know that. They're supposed to be scared to death of this stage and they're not. And I think it's part because they don't even know where they are. But I think these kids are much more worldly. They're much more polished than they've ever been. And when they get here, thanks to the Internet and other they have a better understanding of how the world works and better understanding of how baseball works. When they get here, because some of them have played big time college, they've been in front of people, they've been interviewed, they've played in front of tons of fans. They get it when they get here. It's really impressive.
Speaker 2: All right, Dad, what kind of quirk gins do you have for us today?
Speaker 3: All Right? A little short on this, but I really got a kick out of this. Ernie Clement is the second baseman for the Blue Jays and he's a great defender at second base, shortstop, third base. If you could pick your goal glove utility player in the major leagues, it would be Ernie Clement. He can catch it at any position. But he's not a utility players, an everyday player who had nine hits in the LDS against the Yankees. But Jeff, you know how much I love baseball gloves, right, So I go up to Ernie Clement before game one and just casually I'm at his locker and he's got a rather old looking glove on. So I said, is that your gamer, because you know, people use a game glove separated from you know, any other glove that they have in their locker, and he goes, yeah, this is my gamer. I said, well, what's the story behind it? Just casual, naive question, and he said, yeah, I got it on eBay a few months ago. He bought a baseball glove on eBay and now he wears it in a major league game. And he doesn't just wear it, he's a magician with it. He used, it's the same glove at second base, shortstop, and third base, which is unusual. Usually use a bigger glove at third than you do in the middle infield. But he bought a glove on eBay and now he wears it in a major league game and he's great with it. So he told me has to wear a glove underneath his glove because there's no padding at all in this glove, and so he needs something to wear underneath it. Jeff, there's somebody out there who put a glove up on eBay, who probably used it when he was eight years old or ten years old or fifteen years old, and now a major leaguer is wearing it. Am I overdoing this or is this one of the most interesting stories you've ever heard?
Speaker 1: I think this is fascinating. I mean, because you're exactly right, Dad. I mean, imagine if you found out that was your glove and you just put it up there trying to score a couple extra bucks.
Speaker 2: Have you ever bought anything off of eBay?
Speaker 3: Dad? Never. I wouldn't know how to buy anything on eBay if I had a flashlight and a map. I mean, I have no idea how to do this. But Jeff, the beauty of this is how just particular I've told you all about this particular our players are about their gloves. You know, no one was ever allowed to touch Roberto Alomar's game No one was allowed to touch Brandon Phillips's game glove. They would be furious if anyone even picked it up. I remember a terrible mistake by me as a very young writer, as Mark Blander, great shortstop for the Orioles, Can I try your glove on? And he looked at me daggers in his eyes and he said, And I don't think he was kidding. I would kill you before I would allow you to put my glove on your hand. That's just the way it works. But here Ernie Clement just picks up a glove on eBay and now wears it in a big league game. I told you the Darwin Barney story. Jeff. He was a really good second baseman for years with Cubs and others. He wore He had five different gloves that he broke in systematically. Each one was in line to someday be his gamer. Okay, and he only used his game guard his gamer in the game, meaning he didn't even play catch before the game with his game glove because he didn't want a little indentation forming in the pocket. Therefore, when he reaches in to make the double play, he can't find the ball. So he told me once that he made an error one night in Washington on a backhanded play and he was so angry that he threw the glove away and replaced it with his next glove that was in line to become his gamer again, five gloves systematically being broken in. I said, Darwin, you just threw it in your locker. He goes, no, no, no, I threw it in the trash can because there's no way that I'm going to use the glove the next game if I made an error on it in this game. That's how particular they are.
Speaker 1: Well, my favorite story is the one you wrote in your book and years ago on ESPN dot com. I'm sure Renegan Zales used to put his glove in a wonderbag right because their slogan was no he.
Speaker 3: Carried his exact Jeff, I am so proud of you. You have been listening for your entire life, but for the two years on this podcast. You the first time I ever met Renegan zalas he walks in with a glove in a wonder bag and I said, Gonza, what is that? He goes, Well, that's that's my game glove. I carry it in this wherever I go slogan wonderbread, no holes. Great last thing with the corkchin step. I was talking to Chris Bassett the other day of the Blue Jays. He's a really funny guy and a really smart guy, and he was a great basketball and football player in high school. We were talking again about how players are. You know, it's so important to play multiple sports. So he says to me that Max Scherzer, who we know of course as a Hall of Fame pitcher, but also the pitcher that Ryan Zimmerman told us last year, is a maniacal pickup basketball But you remember that story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was saying, we only played Max rules.
Speaker 3: Where we played by the Max rules, we shoot free throws in between baskets of the pickup game because you only can tell if you're a good free throw shooter if you shoot them when you're fatigued. And then after the pickup game was over, they shot more free throws. This is how Max does everything. So Chris basket I told Chris Bassett this story and Chris Bassett said, yeah, Max found out, you know, their teammates on the Blue Jays. Max found out that I love basketball and I used to be a good player. And he came up to me and he said, we're playing one on one. You and I are playing one on one basketball. And then Chris Bassis and he goes and Max plays one on one only one way, full court, one on one. So I wonder why Max Scherzer is a Hall of Fame pitcher is because he demands that we're gonna play basketball. We're gonna compete, and when we play one on one, we're gonna play full court one on one. At Bassett looks at Max and says, we're not playing full court one on what that's the end of the discussion.
Speaker 1: Next on is this a great game or what we've got on this state in Baseball history? Another team ten and we'll tell you who our guest is gonna be. And by guests, I mean guests for this week.
Speaker 2: It's coming up next.
Speaker 1: All right, on this state in Baseball history? Dad, what do we got for October the fourteenth?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, on this date in eighteen ninety six, Oscar Charleston was born Okay, now he is one of the great Negro League players of all time. And I remember talking to Buck O'Neill, Hall of Famer about the greatest players he's ever seen, and he said, Willie Mays is the greatest major league player I've ever seen, but Oscar Charleston is the greatest player I've ever seen. And again, if we ever saw him in the big leagues, there's no telling how many records he would have broken or how great he would have been. But we cannot forget how great he was. Born on this date in eighteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: And fun fact about him, Dad, what is Oscar Charleston's middle name?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Take it again, Oscar MIAs.
Speaker 1: No, his legal name Oscar McKinley Charleston.
Speaker 3: Really really my daughter's name. My granddaughter's name is McKinley. God, I love these little connections. Jeff, Hi, Jeff. On this date in nineteen o eight, the Baseball Writers Association of America was basically began the formation because the sports writers were not pleased with the way they were treated the seating and everything during the World Series that year, and they got together and said, we have to do something about this. And as you know, Jeff, I'm one of the proudest members ever, proudest members of the BBWAA when I joined in nineteen eighty one, when I got my first card, my number, Jeff, and I'm not being self serve. I'm trying not to be self serving here. My number was eight hundred and eighty one and now my number is twenty two. So they're only twenty one people who are still writing about baseball or members of the Baseball is still alive who have a lower number than me. So when I tell you how proud I am to be a writer with the BBWA, I can't stress enough how great that is for me. On this date in nineteen forty one, Art Shampsky was born now Ark. Champsky was a really good hitter, had an amazing nineteen sixty nine season, but on August twenty second, nineteen sixty six, playing for the Reds, he was a rookie, he hit three homers in one game, Jeff, and he didn't even enter the game until the eighth inning, So he's the only player ever to hit three homers in a game having not played for the first seven innings of the game. He came in as a defensive replacement hit homers in the eighth, tenth, and eleventh inning. The Reds lost the game, fourteen to eleven to the Pirates, but he made major League history. And one more time, Jeff, give me three five hundred home run hitters who never hit three homers in a game, and Ark Schampsky did it.
Speaker 1: Starting from the eighth inning off David Ortiz never hit three homers in a game?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: Is that a good start? Okay?
Speaker 3: Correct? Are you stalling now? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I always forget the other two Dad, Gary Sheffield, Gary Sheffield and Al palmerrow right.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jeff, And also last one on this date in nineteen forty six, Al Oliver was born. Al Oliver played for the in spring training. At least for the eighty two Rangers. Al Oliver was one of the best hitters I've ever seen. They traded him to Montreal in spring at the end of spring training, which was probably a deal that they regretted because Al Oliver was such a good hitter, but they got Larry Parrishon and Dave Hosteedler in return. Never forget that, and Al was one of the most confident hitters ever. One year, I don't know, seventy nine let's say he started off twenty for four, twenty for forty. So Jim Reeves, one of my dear friends who was in mom and Dad's wedding, Rebo asked him jokingly, tongue in cheek, Al, you're twenty for forty. Do you think you could hit five hundred for the whole season? And Al looked at at Rebo and said, five hundred. That would be hard. That's what he said. He had to think about it because he was actually debating whether he could hit five hundred for a full seat. That's how confident a hitter that Al Oliver was. So Al Oliver, of course wore number zero. So what leading into our team tim this week? What I haven't told you what it is? What Al Oliver wore number zero? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: All number zero team?
Speaker 3: Right? The all number zero or double zero? Because not everyone if you wore zero or double zero, you're a zero. Okay, that's for sure, all right? So our catcher is Junior Ortez, one of the funniest guys I ever covered in the major leagues, and in nineteen ninety one, I hope I don't offend anyone with this. The Twins won fifteen games in a row in nineteen ninety one, and Junior Ortiz was on that team, and he didn't play much because Brian Harper and others were the primary catchers on that team. But they won number fifteen in a row in Cleveland, and Junior Ortiz came in like as a defensive replacement and a double switch in the ninth inning and caught the tenth inning and they won the game. And after the game, again, I hope I don't offend anyone. Junior had a terrible stutter. But after the game, I said, Junior, sixteen fifteen games in a row, and he said, and I can't believe that we won a Gabe that they put me in. I thought for sure we were going to lose as soon as they because he was very self deprecating. He was always making fun of himself, and then he did the lou Garrett today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. He did that in a terrible stutter to say, this is like the greatest, the luckiest thing ever is that I got to play this game and we didn't lose. And the witting street continues. Junior Ortiz one of my favorite people. Ever, and he wore number zero. All right. Our first baseman is Tony Clark, who briefly wore double zero. Tony Clark, of course, runs the Players Association. And Tony Clark, who you know, six' seven and hit a whole bunch Of Major league, homers told me he became a switch hitter in his. Career, jeff he was a Switch he became a switch hitter because as a kid he was so much bigger and stronger than the rest of the kids in the neighborhood that they made him bat left handed because it wasn't fair when he batted right. Handed that's how he became a switch. HITTER i love how players become switch. Hitters That's Tony clark's. Story second base Is Andres, jimenez who plays for The Blue, jays who were covering in this series last. Year Steven, vote the manager of The, guardians told Me jimenez is the greatest defensive PLAYER i have ever seen at any. Position how about? THAT i Press Stephen, vote who's been around a long, time and he, Said i'm telling, You i've never seen anybody play defense like this guy. Did and he played second base last, year but with the injury To Bob. Bashett here he's playing an exceptional shortstop in the major, leagues just showing how great a defender he. Is and he wears number, ZERO a. Zero Ray ordonia's worn number, zero great defensive shortstop for The mets in his. Day Bobby, valentine then the manager of The, mets told, me, nobody no shortstop has ever gone back on a pop up ever better Than Ray, ordonio's which is a really difficult play to make for a. Shortstop that was his superpower going back on an infield pop. Up third base Is Paul, dade who played multiple years for The indians at the. Time outfielders, again Al oliver OD. B, McDowell WHO i covered with The rangers in the, Eighties war number, Zero Jeffrey Leonard war number double. Zero Jeffrey leonard was a really good hitter in his. Day SO i HOPE i don't offend anyone with this, either. Jeff But Hank greenwald was the play by play guy for The yankees and for years and every day he went To Yankee, stadium the security guy asked him for HIS id, pass his press pass to get. In he sees him every. Day he knows he's the play by play guy for The, yankees but he makes him show his press pass every. Day, Finally Hank greenwald got a little bit tired of, this and one day he came in with a picture Of Jeffrey leonard taped on his press. Pass, okay and, again not to defend, Anyone Jeffrey leonard is a black. Man hank Green wald is not a black, man. Okay so he puts a picture Of Jeffrey leonard's face on his and the security guard looks at it and, says, okay go, ahead like he didn't even look at. It and then the next, game next, Game hank Grey wald is so insulted that he has to keep showing. This he shows up the next day with his press pass and he's got a picture Of secretariat a, horse a horse over his.
Speaker 4: Face so on this press pass he has a horse's head instead of his, face and the security guy looks at it goes, okay go. Ahead that's that's how it worked At Yankee stadium back.
Speaker 3: Then So Jeffrey letter number double zero is our third. Outfielder our starting pitcher Is Marcus, stroman who wore number zero and still does still Pitches Adam, Ottavino Adam, ottavino pretty darn good reliever in recent. Years here pitched this, year and he told me once it's not A it's not a zero that he's got on his. Back it's an oh because his last name Is, ottavino so he wears like an oh instead of a. Zero and Then, omar, right and the last one Is Omar oliveris who pitched for several, teams including The, Cardinals and of course he wore double zero because his initials are zero. Zero so and let's see how good your memory. Is Here jeff who is the baseball player who wore his number on his back and had his birthday on his. Back his last name was a month of the, year and his number was his birthday in that. Month do YOU i.
Speaker 2: Give your fast sl TWO? V how's how'sel twove?
Speaker 1: Is his height is his birthday are the?
Speaker 3: Same? Right may the, sixth and he's five ft SIX i gonna remember, This, Jeff i'm gonna give it to you. Anyway Carlos may was born On may the, seventeenth and his last name Is may and he wore number. Seventeen so on the back of this, jersey wasn't just his name and his, number it was also his. Birthday how great is? That?
Speaker 1: Well and one of my Favorite jersey, Stories, dad is When Johnny damon was standing out in the outfield and then he's standing there and he wears number eighteen and he's standing next to number.
Speaker 2: Nineteen of that team and it's nineteen.
Speaker 3: Eighteen Gabe, kapler, Right it was A Gabe Kapitler kapler. Right ninth, inning two thousand and Four World series clinching, Game Red sox haven't won since nineteen, eighteen AND i look out in the outfield and before the bottom of the ninth, begins those guys are standing back to. BACK i mean they're standing with their backs to home plate and there it is nineteen. Eighteen and then The Red sox won that and won The World series for the first time since nineteen. Eighteen it's so.
Speaker 2: Beautiful we've got a, great great guest for you.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow two, guests in, Fact Eduardo perez And Carl ravits are going to be joining, us AND i yours, truly am going to interview the two of, them along with my, Dad Tim, kirkshon THE espn radio crew who did The alds together and are doing THE alcs, together and you can all do WHAT i.
Speaker 2: Do turn the game, on but.
Speaker 1: Then listen on your phone to the broadcast and mute YOUR. Tv that's HOW i get time with my. Guys so tomorrow that's on the. Podcast we cannot wait for you to join, us and as, always thank you for being a part of our.
Speaker 2: Family