Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producer Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from Biggie Smalls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons, to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, But being remembered by a casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. Optimism is a perfectly legitimate response to failure. Stephen King, failure is good. You don't need to stay down all the time when you fall. Les Brown has this saying where he says, when you fall, make sure you fall on your back so you can look up and get up.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 1: In order for us and I just want to reiterate the outstanding interview with Dorian Wilson and Dorian Echoes this. You have to train, you have to work on your craft, and in doing those things, you will eventually master and be an expert in your craft. But it is imperative that you show up knowing the protocol and the verbiage. That's what gives you the security, the confidence.
Speaker 2: To do this.
Speaker 1: When you know what you're doing. Don't think of anything as a failure. There may be some hurdles, there may be some obstacles, but nothing that you can't get through or get passed. Never look at failure as something better, as something that's preventing you from getting what it is that you want. Failure is just a reminder that there's still more work to do and there's still more things to learn.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: I will make me a priority before we get started. I'd like to remind everyone to look out for my new show, Inside the Black Box.
Speaker 2: I'll Welcome to the.
Speaker 1: Spirited Actor Podcast with Me Network by far is going to be the best show that I've ever had on this podcast, and I'm going to tell you what the best Okay, the pressure, no pressure. This our guest today. He is probably the only one that I would allow to do the authorize autobiography of Tracy Moore if he wanted to insert some things, because he truly does know me.
Speaker 2: As I have denied.
Speaker 1: In New York for years that I've ever acted in or I've ever performed. Dorian Wilson is here to expose the truth. Dorian Wilson is one of the best actors in the entertainment business, most consistent, and my favorite actor.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: When I saw dream On on HBO and I saw Dorian almost passed out because I went to school with Dorian. We go to talk about all that. I want you guys to sit back. I want you to get whatever you document information on your.
Speaker 2: Record on your phone, write it down.
Speaker 1: You are going to walk away with a treasure chest of diamonds, emeralds, and pearls. Please put your hands together for one of the most dynamic forces in this entertainment business.
Speaker 2: As an actor, Dorian, what there?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you? Thank you? Are you talking about me? All that was for me?
Speaker 2: All of it, Dorian.
Speaker 4: I wish that if I was a whole lot, you get a whole lot on that.
Speaker 3: But thank you. I appreciate I How do you. It's so good to see you.
Speaker 1: It's so good to see Dorian. I feel like it's crazy right now. You still look the same except your.
Speaker 3: You like, where's where's your dreads up?
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I cut him all off. I cut him off and free, so you didn't have reads back then? No, no, no, back then it was like I was messing with the perm and just coming out of high school. But and I went to school together at Pacific Conservatory of Performing Arts in Santa Maria, California. And Santa Maria was put on the map by Michael Jackson's trial, remember, right, okay, right, I think we had one cab one mall.
Speaker 2: Maybe, oh my god.
Speaker 1: But you were kind of used to it because you were from San Luis, Bisbo and I.
Speaker 3: Was Lompoke the other side. Yeah, yeah, so I was definitely used to it. So I you know, I had grew up there. My dad was in the Air Force, so we had been on Vandenberg Air Force Base for many, many years. Then we moved to Lompope, the big city, and I went to school there and graduated from Lampokai and then went on to uh PCPA. Look you, I bet you you don't know. When I was in the eleventh grade, I saw a couple of plays at PCPA and I was like, oh my god, that's that's what I want to do. I can't I can't wait, blah blah blah. So they held auditions for the upcoming year, and I'm like, let me get my admission in and whatnot and everything. I went through the whole audition process, say my little song and everything, and only to get a letter saying we don't accept anybody until they after they graduate. But here's your acceptance letter right saying when you graduate, you don't have to audition again. And you come right to us and and you're.
Speaker 2: In okay because I had to audition.
Speaker 3: Of course you did. Of course you did. I still auditioned, but it was in the eleventh grade.
Speaker 2: Though, oh my god, can I just.
Speaker 3: Huh? I said, isn't that a great story?
Speaker 2: Though? That is a great story, you know what. It kind of reminds me of a Billy Porter story. Before COVID.
Speaker 1: They had a CSA Awards ceremony here in New York at Chelsea, and Billy Porter talked about how he.
Speaker 2: Was in high school.
Speaker 1: He snuck away from home, rode the train to Chicago to audition for Meg Simon and they were like, oh my god, you're amazing. And then he was like, I'm seventeen. They were like, get out of here, go back home. You can't write.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: Circle comes Megan has him audition and they reconnect because he thanked her for an award and it was amazing. So that's a that's a oh my god. Yeah, okay, what what what?
Speaker 2: You guys don't know? This was a two year program.
Speaker 1: At the second year, I got pneumonia and bronchitis at the same time. Unbeknownst to me, I found out through Dorrian that I had been cast in Greece and I was cast in the Cheeta Rivera role. But I was unable to make it back to second year. And it was the worst thing because you.
Speaker 2: Know, I felt like it was no I felt left me.
Speaker 3: I didn't love me. Do you know how many there were of us.
Speaker 2: Who Dorian Wilson and Tracy wore wore.
Speaker 3: The entire program, y'all. Is that crazy? But you know it was what it was, and we represented though.
Speaker 2: Yeah we did.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 2: Because go ahead, Dorian.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, there was like literally out of the forty fifty students whatever, five students that got cast out of our class that made it to the main stage or productions or whatever, and we were two of them.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Dorian, I have to I have to question this, like I think about this right because I'm going to piggyback off this story that Dory and I were talking about. We had a singing class and this woman Bet Miller. She was the voice of the Chipmunks, one of the chipmunks, right, But we had gotten all right, I got kicked out of class and then they sent Dorrian to keep me company.
Speaker 2: So we were sitting on the stairs.
Speaker 3: Wait, you can't negate all the other stuff that led up to.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, let's tell this story.
Speaker 3: Let me recap. Yeah, we have this class. It was a singing class and they partnered up with you know, each of the students and whatnot, and me and Tracy were paired together the only Yeah, so I don't know if that's the reason, but I'm pretty sure it was. But anyway, we sang.
Speaker 2: You are the sunshine of my life.
Speaker 3: Right, so Tracy can really sing. I kind of just fell behind her, but you know, I could carry it to him. But anyway, Tracy was doing all these riffs and flows and ebbs and whatnot, and so afterwards, I'll let you pick it up from there.
Speaker 1: So I don't remember the you say your question because I remember that I'm so did to that that's what got to be kicked out of class, right, Yeah, well.
Speaker 3: The question was so Beth then proceeds to ask everybody their critique in the class, and you know, it's supposed to be constructive criticians criticism, and one of the comments was that we sound too black to ethnic and why do we always have to, you know, do all the runs and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And then a white student said, she raised her hand and she said, why do you guys always sing black songs? And I said, why do you always sing white songs?
Speaker 2: And then Beth.
Speaker 1: Said, Tracy, why don't you go outside and take a moment and get some air, right, And then like two minutes later, I see Dorian next to me.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why why are you here? And I know, sorry, but I And also there were words like.
Speaker 1: Militant that were you know about absolutely, but this was my my thing was I am an actress, so look at me as an actress before you look at me as a black actress because the other thing is dory and I got cast all the obvious. In Little Abner, we were the African dancers Helen Keller.
Speaker 2: We were.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So whatever was black, they stuck us.
Speaker 1: But they couldn't do that for the world premiere because there wasn't.
Speaker 2: A breakdown of color.
Speaker 1: It was just actors and monologues and you know, us threading stories together, so there was no color. But my question was that day that we were sitting out, Randy Miler, who was one of the teachers.
Speaker 2: Passed by.
Speaker 1: He came over and asked us what happened? So we started well, I started telling him in my militant way, and then Dorian was there with me supporting.
Speaker 2: And then right after.
Speaker 1: That we were allowed a little bit after we were allowed to audition because they said first year students, which we were. And I just want to say too, we started out at one hundred twenty five, I believe students and they Okay, well, I remember being on the main stage. Do you remember Michael and Lauren the actress. Yeah, so Lauren moved to New York. So I used to see Lauren all the time. But Michael and Lauren were feared by the students.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, they were feared.
Speaker 1: Because they had you know, they just they were divas and you know, but they told But Lauren said to me, I didn't even know Lauren, he said to me, he said, look around, look around the theater.
Speaker 2: I looked around.
Speaker 1: He said, there are one hundred and twenty five people here. Look around because they won't be here by the time, you know, we start and whatever.
Speaker 2: And it did. It wheedled down, you know right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we had our.
Speaker 2: Schedule was so demanding.
Speaker 3: So demanding, sun up to sundown. And then I had a like an hour drive to get back home to Longpoke from Santa Maria. It wasn't quite that long. But you know, our day was so fulfilled, filled singing, dance, acting, mind, just the whole work, the lights, you know that we had to work behind the scenes, all of that. Yeah, and so that it filled the entire day. So yeah, it was exhausting, but it made.
Speaker 1: Us well, yes, yes, it gave us great work ethic.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it was such a great foundation. Yeah, and it's one of the things that I tell I used to teach acting through eight through eighteen year olds and people told me all the time, you know, oh, I'm I'm such a great actor, or I'm a comedian and blah blah blah and all this other stuff. And I'm like, so, where did you go to school? They're like, well, I didn't go to school, but I just know, you know, I know, and blah blah blah. And it's it's the craziest thing. It just doesn't come out of nowhere, you know. So I tell them to you know, you've got to get your training first. You know. You could be the right place at the right time. You can even get that role, you know, and have the best loop, but if you don't have anything to sustain it, if you don't have you know, your foundation laid and you know, know exactly what you're doing, you're going to be a flash in the pad, you know. So you know, people out there, get your training first, you so you are prepared when you do get that moment for you know life, camera action you're on and then you'll be going onto your next project.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and you guys aren't ready.
Speaker 1: I always tell them Dorian to go to IMDb dot com for our guests. But it says here that in just in terms of his previous credits seventy nine and then upcoming, it says five. When I tell you, that's why I said, Like, Dorian, when I saw you on dream On, like, first of all, I got really teary because I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, I was in class with him.
Speaker 3: That's my friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah was, and but Dorian was a star. Like Dorian is not just a great actor, He's an inter He knows how to entertain.
Speaker 2: And that's what I love.
Speaker 1: Again, Dorian, I love you more in drama. Yea, I know you as comedy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, well what what what had happened? Tracy was as soon as I got to LA, first of all, was doing I was still doing plays and whatnot in the Bay Area for many many years San Jose Rep Berkeley Shakespeare Children's Theater. But I was out there for years, and then finally I kept auditioning for different parts and then what have you, and doing different parts in LA and so my wife was just like, you know what, we need to move out there. And so that's what we did, packed up and moved. Didn't know anyone out here. Did the waiter bartender thing for like six months, and all of the the waiters and the bartenders and everything. Everybody was an actor. And so you know, to surround yourself with people like that who can tell you, oh, this is what you do. You know, check out this magazine, go to actors, you know, backstage and and whatnot, and and give you different auditions. So that's what I did for six months, and I landed dream On. But I did a couple of other things before that. But yeah, I was you. I was so new and green to the game that when I went in five times for uh dream On five times and what had happened? This is a great story too. I'm sorry talking so much.
Speaker 2: You today.
Speaker 3: Okay, yea, it is all about me, so okay, So this is what happened. So I get here, I'm already thinking I'm a star and you can't put me down or anything. I don't have no credits, but hey, I am a star. And so they were telling me at the restaurant to sign up for some background work, but I'm a star, really okay, So I do this and the first time I go out, I kind of sat around and they were going telling me going here there, and I'm like, this is not for me. So I tell the agency man, I'm not so then so they called me after that and say they have a role specifically for me. Am I all alright, I feel So the role that they had was this camera operator opposite of one of the lead characters. And so every scene and I have no idea why scene that they put me in, they either cut the scene or they took me out of it for one reason or another. And so at the end of the day the day, I really didn't shoot anything. And so the next day I really did have an audition for a movie, a big movie, and I'm like, I can't come back. They're like, no, you have to come back. You're established. I go, no, everything you shot I'm not in. And so we went back and forth, but I was like, I'm not coming back, and I didn't come back. So fast forward six months later, I have this audition in this warehouse and I get in and I'm like, hmm, this looks really familiar. So come to find out. It's the set of dream On and the camera operator I was playing was the camera operator for Eddie Charles, the guy that I replaced on the show Wow, that I replaced on the show five auditions, and I was like, Brian, Brian ben Ben who stars. I was like, I don't know. He goes, I'm telling you, you got this. Your life is about to change, and onenot you got this, and so sure enough they call me shortly after. But I literally replaced the guy that I was the camera operator for that character. It's so funny, so it was meant for you.
Speaker 5: It's one of Spruce his favorite shows, definitely, like I I love watching you when we went to school, but to watch you on TV, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And then just to follow right because when you talk about the Bay Area, you know Telita Smith and Terry Vaughan those of my old dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Kalita.
Speaker 1: Day one of her career, she was doing a David David Talbert was doing his first film play, telling It like It Is in DC.
Speaker 2: The producer was my friend.
Speaker 1: He called me and said, I need you to replace a guy, so come see the play. I go see the play. I don't see anything but Kalita Smith. Kalita walked on that stage.
Speaker 3: Right, it was like, is that's.
Speaker 2: My new best friend. That's my new friend.
Speaker 1: And from that day on we have been inseparable. So Kalita was like, you know, she would report back to me and tell me all the goings on with Dory Wilson until.
Speaker 3: We got so funny. Me and Kalida go way way back. When first started out. We were both on Sister's Sister. I played Jacka's boyfriend and she played Tim Reid's girlfriend, and then they broke up. We all broke up, and then we kind of got together a little bit on the show. But fast forward, you know, in the cut she plays my love love interest, but then we got married on the sho show. Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Guys created a nice platform for Bounce.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you, thank you. Yeah, we really did. They only had a couple of other shows that really kind of took off, but we got in there. We did eight seasons in the cut, so it was a beautiful thing. But it was so much work, Tracy. It was we did thirteen episodes in eleven days.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 3: Wrapped your head around that. It's the craziest thing. Thirteen episodes in eleven days, and I was the lead of the show, so I had anywhere from fourteen to seventeen scenes a day. So this is my typical day. Would I would go to the gym at five am. I would be on set at seven am. From seven to like ten thirty, sometimes longer, sometimes less, I'm on set. And so then I ran home home and started trying to learn these lines for the next day. Around one o'clock one thirty, I'm like, At three o'clock, I'm like, oh shit, I gotta learn these lines. Three o'clock, five o'clock, I'm back at the gym, and the whole thing starts all over again. And so by the fourth day you kind of got it and you're in that rhythm. But it is it's exhausting. But you know, the one stiver lining gold lining is that I made my money for the year in those eleven days, right, that part so enabled me to do other things, other work and whatnot. But so you know, I sucked it up, and you know it was a big boy and like, you can do this. But it made it so easy to work with people like Khalitia Smith and John Marshall Jones l who you know, I have a history with on the Parkers, who my son on the show. You know, all of that that chemistry that you already bring in, it makes it so much easier. So we played off each other and we you know, just just had fun. So the writers did a great job in writing, putting those words on the page, but then we would bring them to life by just playing with each other and whatnot. A lot of stuff's improbmed.
Speaker 1: It was I thought, like, you know, you watch shows like Cheers, right and Sam and Diana chasing after each other, all these little undertones, but right to see you and Monique, I thought it was brilliant because the writers were really great, because you never got tired of her Shenanikins, because we all knew he's not taking you son, he not, I hate, but would ride every week some way and it never got boring and never got tired. I remember Rob Garr called me up and he was like, Casey, guess who I'm I'm well, it's not an understudy, Rod.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of the word as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I forgot about it, but Rod.
Speaker 1: And so that's when I was in LA and I came to see you on set and I was like, like, everybody loved the Parkers.
Speaker 2: How many seasons did you guys go?
Speaker 3: We is six six seasons, one hundred and ten episodes. It was. It's a memorable, remarkable experience in my life that I will never forget. And I don't know if it's going to be matched by any but I've had wonderful experience on other shows. But the chemistry that we had it was it was literally lame with your friends all day and you still got a paycheck. You know, you cannot beat that, now, Yeah, you guys to do I.
Speaker 1: Watched every single episode. I was a fan. This is before remember they had the VH recording. I used to record it on the tape.
Speaker 3: Absolutely gonna all I have boxes of tapes. I'm like, what am I doing with these? You know, get them converted or something. But yeah, absolutely, But yeah, it was a really good time. And half of the stuff that you guys didn't see it was the funniest stuff ever. They had to separate me and Monique half of the time. It was just yeah.
Speaker 2: And I love her. She was so amazing.
Speaker 1: I have to I just want to spit out some credits because I love doing this.
Speaker 2: But you guys ahead ahead, I am, I am.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just say, mister and missus Smith, I coached Damon John's get Out.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that is so funny. It's a it's a small world.
Speaker 1: And then I would love to have Damon because we have stories. But I introduced Damon. He took me out to LA to have these meetings, and I introduced him to my friend Isle Davis. You know, she was a VP of casting for ABC Primetime at the time.
Speaker 2: Okay and so sweet, and we had a meeting with her.
Speaker 1: And then years later they were putting together Shark Tank and they were Damon and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's amazing. That's a good story.
Speaker 1: And but this is you know, oh my god, wait till you read my book. I have to throw some stuff away. But and y'all, Home Improvement, Murphy Brown, one of my favorite shows. Seinfeld, the Fresh Prince of bel Air, marsh Sister Sister Friends, Mister.
Speaker 3: North African American on Friends.
Speaker 2: Had to be before I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was. I had a reoccurring role playing Chandler's boss. But the we forgot that is yeah, the way that I got the role was the executive producers are the same executive producers we had for dream On. Oh yeah, Marta Kaufman, David Crane, Kevin Bright. And so they had hired an actor to play his boss and it was an older cat and it didn't quite work out or whatever. So they're like, who can we get at the last minute. Yeah, at the last minute, and so they called me up and that's how I got the role.
Speaker 2: Jerry.
Speaker 1: Can I just tell you there was so many times when I was casting that I would reach out to your people because I respect the business even with my friends, right say that, but I couldn't cast you because you were on a series or you know your name. Listen, when I was casting, like, there's certain people that I their name out because I was like, I have a relationship, I can call them up.
Speaker 2: The series kind of locked you in for a minute.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, because I was doing film, a lot of film back then. But and and when your name would come up, I'd be like, they're like, do you know Dorian Wilson.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I went to school with Dorian. I know He's like, oh my god, call him up. Call Dorian right in.
Speaker 3: I want to stuff. I want to change through the world. Though that was a great experience.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I want to go, you guys, Tyler Perry House of Pain.
Speaker 2: Step in the movie which I didn't do that when there's another step in.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, The Miller's Stop by my Neighbor, the Family Weekend, Toughler Interested, Oh my god, so much work doan? Let's talk about because less fast forward to present day. You are so established and recognized and revered in this industry, and you are so consistent. You have a body of work and continue to work. What is it? What do you feel keeps you motivated? Inspired? And now I'm pretty sure I was putting this out there. We're writing, we might be directing, producing, But what keeps you going after not seventy three you guys, that would be seventy eight so far on IMDb dot com credits.
Speaker 3: That's crazy? What keeps me motivated? Keeping a roof over my head? That part?
Speaker 2: Okay, that part.
Speaker 3: I attribute a lot of my success by my support system, surrounding myself with amazing, positive family and really really good friends. I know so many people, but the really really good friends in my life have been in my life for like over thirty years. So these are the people that when I'm starting out, and even if I did an orphan commercial like Roach commercial, they'd be like, oh my god, You're the next demsel.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It was all that, And so you know, you're rejected so much in this business. It can beat you down, you know. But so you need people in your corner who's going to be uplifting and not be like, Okay, well you get them next time, but you know, really get in there and help you with that. So that that was a very strong foundation for my career. And also I try to keep these relationships when you go from show to show to show that your demeanor, your work ethic and everything that follows you, you know, whether you want to act like a divo or a devo or whatever. But I appreciate everybody that I work with, and so I think that has a lot to do with it as well. And you never know that little person at the bottom of the total ball where they're going to be in a couple of years. And that's happened several times where I've had pa who are executive producers now called me back and said, Hey, I remember how nice you were to me, blah blah blah. So you know, all of that place a factor in it.
Speaker 2: So well, I want to tell you.
Speaker 1: This because we only have two minutes, and I want you to give.
Speaker 2: Eight minutes. Two minutes is all we have right now. That's it, and you're going to give actors tip.
Speaker 1: But I want to say this about relationships. You are absolutely positively correct. Angela Yee when she got on The Breakfast Club, all to congratulate her, and I asked her, well, that was when she first got on, But when we got the podcast almost three years ago, I heart wanted her to be my first guest and I was like, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Know, Angela.
Speaker 1: Ever I called Angela up and I was like oh, and she was like, yeah, Tracy, I will come on the show, no problem.
Speaker 2: And I was like, thank you, Angela.
Speaker 1: She was like, Tracy, you came on Ciphersound show on serious Radio when I was a PA. You were the nicest person. You treated me like a person. I was like, why is she talking to me? I'm a PA.
Speaker 3: She said.
Speaker 1: From that day on, she was like, Tracy, whatever you want. She was my first guest on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's such a great story. It's amazing what people remember. You know. I love I absolutely love when I meet fans or people that know me on the street and said, hey, I remember you from seven years ago or whenever we were in the grocery store blah blah blah, and you were so nice to me little daughter. You know, stories like that. It's just like, oh, okay, I be good. You know, it was a good day or whatever. But the flip side of that is, y'all, if we have a bad day, you know, we're we are humid. You know that one encounter sometimes makes all the difference in the world and your perception of that actor or whatever. But you know, it just might have been a bad day. You know, I don't ever deliberately just be like, hey, you know, I'm yeah, Simon autograss. They're taking pictures and blah blah blah blah. You know, so who you are, you're going to throw that out there, but you know it does happen, So no, it does.
Speaker 1: But I can honestly say this, like, and that's what's so beautiful is that for me, you are the same Dorian that I met in nineteen eighty. For me, in September nineteen eighty when I went to school.
Speaker 3: And you why are you dating us? Why are you putting that out there?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know about your I don't know about your.
Speaker 2: History and Wikipedia, but they got dates.
Speaker 3: In mine right right right? They have me a year younger, so I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a year older than you, so you're not. Yes, I am what year were you born? Sixty two?
Speaker 3: So I said, they have me a year younger Wikipedia, right, what I was like, you don't do that? But anyway, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well give them a tell them, tell him during whatever you feel they need to know because you drop some diamonds.
Speaker 3: Oh die, No, you know, just if this is what you want to do, if this is what you enjoyed doing, do it. You know. I think a lot of people go in for the notoriety or the money or whatever, but you have to have a passion in your heart. You know. I would do this for free. I'm glad I don't have to, but crazy, you know. Yeah, it is something I love doing, and I keep working at it. It never stops. I never stopped trying to grow, you know. I learned little things as I go along. I work with different people and I've watched them, you know, and so that's that's kind of it. I just I thank God for my longevity and to be able to work and to do what I love to do, you know, and get paid for it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I just want to say this before we bring on the students, that we have two actors who are going to ask a question for you. So my next chapter, this is what I believe is directing full time.
Speaker 2: And playing with my friends. That's what I feel like my characters.
Speaker 4: And because look, look, Tracy, anyway.
Speaker 1: Get your head down because I'm saving youse up when we get off the phone anyway, because.
Speaker 2: Of the strike.
Speaker 1: But Dorian, I have to say this because I've never admitted this to anyone, and directors, I would be in casside sessions reading.
Speaker 2: I read with all the actors all the time.
Speaker 1: I love reading, right, and directors would turn around and look at me.
Speaker 2: Be like, are you an actress? And I go no, no, I'm not an actress at all, journey right.
Speaker 1: So I have to admit it on my podcast in front of Spruce Elsa and Andy.
Speaker 2: Yes I did act at Dorry knows.
Speaker 3: And a brilliant actress. That is so crazy. I don't know why you don't own that. You were so good, Tracy, just natural and you know, your personality just shines. It really does.
Speaker 1: And when I tell you, I love me some Dory and Wilson, I'm so glad that you are still in my life.
Speaker 2: And when I write this.
Speaker 1: I you know, I did write about the donut holes altho though that weed is legal down so Dorry and I you just spoke weed and go to Dugan Dodos and get a bed full of donut holes.
Speaker 2: Because it's legal now. But that was that's what we were. We were young, and that's what we were talking to you on the low. Now you could listen.
Speaker 1: I walked down the stre I live in Brooklyn and there are two spots in my in my neighborhood and like.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yo, they really so it blows me. And I just have to say this. I was in Oakland for my birthday two years ago, go by Lake Marrin and this woman had a vat of weed. I was with my mother, so you know, I had to play it off. But when I tell you, my body went into convulsions and I was like, wait, hold up, is this real? And she was like kid.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, oh my god, right right right, But we had we had.
Speaker 1: The vested times and and and what I love more than anything is that we are still in communication. And when I can't even tell you, Dorian, for every person that would come and you know, Dorian, Dorian, I'd be like a trillionaire today.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, but I love it. Likewise, I love it.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to bring Elsa Lathan, our co executive producer on Spirited Actor.
Speaker 2: Elsa, who do we have some questions? Can I just say that was priceless, priceless, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, that was a great little memory lane trip there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was great. Yeah. So today on for our Q and A, we have two of our wonderful Spirited after alumni. We have mister Sam Bryce, you can come on camera. Sam, and we have miss Maya Bello. Hey, guys, and Maya's in l A, Dorian.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Sam is on the East coast of US, so so Elsa always ladies first. So Maya you're up first with your question. Okay. Yeah, So I just want to say hi, oh, thank you. I was gonna say I love to your sister. Sister. That's when I was taking to you.
Speaker 3: This is really fun.
Speaker 6: So you said that, you know, training is very important I've trained with Tracy, and I just wanted to know your training actors. What were some of the things you thought were really important to like teach them for them to practice.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a really interesting question. Definitely cold reading, which I'm not good at, but being able to pick up you know, any literature or whatever, because a lot of times, well not a lot of times, but there are some times where you go in for a feature or a role or whatever that requires you to be a certain way or whatever, and on the spot they'll ask you, you know what, I think you would be more suited for this character. So it's really important to be able to to pick that up, to grasp the you know, what the kind of root of the character is and be able to run with it. And Uh, that to me is something you keep in your pocket and you know you'll be able to pull it out. The other thing is just especially work ethic, you know, being on time, uh, knowing your your dialogue, your whatever you're you're auditioning for. Put put in the time, you know, uh, making sure you have your your head shots and put some money into your headshots. Everybody, like not everybody, but a lot of young people that have come up to me is like, oh, I got money for headshots and whatnot. No, but you got money to have a drink at the bar, you know on Saturday, Friday and Saturday. But you know you can use that money, you know. But all of these things important for your to your package, and you know, put those things in place before you do anything else. Have your resume updated. Uh, even if you you know you don't have much to put on it, just be creative enough that you're not gonna get hot. I have I put our horseback ride and blah blah blah. I got picked for the the the sidekick of the lead actor who was a cowboy. So at the end of it we run off, we go off of the.
Speaker 4: Sunset and he is this galloping and I could ride.
Speaker 3: A horse loop from that bitch anyway, So be able to back up your stuff, you know, to that point. So anyway, I hope that answered your question.
Speaker 2: No, that's excellent, excellent, Okay, okay, Elsa, thank you, thank you, and mister Sam right.
Speaker 3: Next, it's a pleasure to speak with you, mister Wilson Chevy.
Speaker 7: So question positive or negative, what would you say is the most impactful moment in your career.
Speaker 3: Oh, I still am in awe of the whole process. When I auditioned for dream On, you know, I'm a new actor to LA, didn't know anybody. I did a couple of things, but to get a series regular in six months that I had been here and I was I was so green and new to the business that I was still bartending at the time and so I'm going to the set and trying to cover my shifts at the restaurant. People were like, why the hell are you still here, and I'm like, I just I got that first check and I was like, I'm out of here. I quit. So I was doing dream On and Sister Sister at the same time, literally, and they worked around my schedule, so that that was very impactful that for my bank account and my house. But yeah, so I would say that and HBO.
Speaker 2: HBO is a beast. I used to work for HBO, so.
Speaker 3: That, oh nice. Yeah, way ahead of time. I couldn't even get it out wing. The show was way ahead of its time. So the first sex in the City, you know, it was like I get this script and I'm like these scripts and I'm like, I have to sleep with a different woman every week. But and I gotta pay trick.
Speaker 1: I'm I am in leading man right, Dorian, thank you, Elsa, thank you for thank you for the actors and the questions.
Speaker 2: We're going to come back.
Speaker 1: We're going to come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with Class in Session where you'll see them Performancen and else is going to read the narrative.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned, don't.
Speaker 1: Go anywhere when we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. You're blessed to have Dorian Wilson still with us and we'll do Class and Session. Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast.
Speaker 2: With me, Tracy Moore.
Speaker 1: You are so blessed Dorian Wilson is still with us, and we are going to go. Yes, we are going to go into Class and Session where Elsa will introduce our Spirit Actor alumni.
Speaker 2: They will perform a scene and Dorian will be so gracious and give them feedback.
Speaker 3: Okay, so.
Speaker 2: That's another show. Okay, you a good one. So today on Class and Session we have we are welcoming back mister Sam Bryce, Welcome back, Sam, Hey Sam, how are you? And miss Maya Bell Welcome back Maya.
Speaker 3: Thank you as she is Maya.
Speaker 2: So today's scene is of all the places written by Leon Amoto. Interior Grand Lux Country Club evening. The ballroom is vibrant with purple neon strobe lights shining and beaming off the huge glass chandelier over the dance floor, which is packed. Everyone is turned up. It's that kind of wedding jacket edges. Let's get married, just drop so. Mary heads over to the dance floor to join the party. When her and Ben locked eyes again.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I had to come over ahead and say something. All right, I'm Ben, I know who you are.
Speaker 6: Congratulations, this is beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Mary's taking a back, surprised. She also realizes they're still holding hands since they greeted hello. She quickly drops her hand.
Speaker 3: Thank you. So what did you come here with?
Speaker 6: Oh, Angie's my sister. I'm her day tonight, okay, the neighbor exactly.
Speaker 2: The tension in their locked eyes towards each other is undeniable. Mary notices that his wife is looking for him as the song is appropriate. I'm gonna go grab a drink. I think your wife is looking for you. He just stares at her as if he didn't hear what she just said. Mary heads off towards the bar, but he stills.
Speaker 7: Look, I know this is so inappropriate and I would never ever do this, but I've been locked doing you since I saw you at the church. I hope I get to see you again.
Speaker 2: Ironically, Mary feels it as wrong as it is.
Speaker 3: She hesitates, but me too.
Speaker 2: Mary notices that his wife has found him and it is on her way over because she snaps out of it. Congratulations again, She smiles and heads off. He watches until he's interrupted by his new wife, who intimately surprises him from behind. She hugs on him as the DJ gets.
Speaker 3: On the mic.
Speaker 2: Can we get Ben in his beautiful new wife Shauna to the dance floor, let's go see. Oh nice job you guys. Okay, Dorian, it's you.
Speaker 3: I have nothing. No, it was really good. I really thought you were coming back. I was like, okay, we'll keep going. No, you guys did a great job. The only thing that I could think of this, Sammy, just be a little bit more aware that your wife might be somewhere close by and to kind of regurgitate him, to get all this stuff up, you know, knowing that she can be behind you at any second. But I love the approach and everything else. You were. You're great. I don't have any you know, bad things to say. You were engaged. I loved the coyness. Yeahcy, thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean I that like, I'm like you.
Speaker 1: That's a specific note that I would have given to because that would have added on a little bit to the urgency of like, let me let you know I like you and we could get together, but not in front of my wife.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly that you did. Beautiful job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam, and these Sam and Maya are speared actor. Oh gee, so thank you, say thank you, Maya, and I just want to tell you really quickly.
Speaker 1: Dorian Sam was cast in Soul Santa, which is a film that I cast with Elsa, and the character was twenty seven I believe to thirty.
Speaker 2: He was nerdy, he was tall and thin. This was the character breakdown.
Speaker 1: Wow else suggested Sam come in, and you know, if it was according to the breakdown, we're true, Sam wouldn't have come in. But I was like, Sam is talented. Yes, that's a great idea. Bottom in Sam got cast. Terry Vought love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that when you can stink outside the box and and just go for it. I've been cast as an elderly white woman who was very articulate and whatnot who they sent me in anyway, and I got the role. So but I love those stories. Yeah, great job, guys, Dorian.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I can't even begin to thank you for coming on this show. All the truths of me.
Speaker 2: I thank you. I couldn't wait because I was like, Dory, I can't wait Wilson on the show.
Speaker 3: So I've saved some nuggets though, I've saved something.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the other skeletons, like.
Speaker 3: The fact that I had the biggest crush on you and you didn't give me the time of day because you're interested in two other white guys.
Speaker 2: All right, can we talk about something else?
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 2: Couldn't like you.
Speaker 3: I needed Yes, what's this?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 3: It was the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: It was and you told me. She was like, Dorian has a question on you. I was like, no, he doesn't do it. George, just like me.
Speaker 3: You knew I did you do well?
Speaker 2: Dorian? We loved spirited podcast and Dorian, before you leave, can you do it? I know you coming out? Yes I do.
Speaker 3: Uh, It's it's called a Wesley Christmas wedding, and it is the second part in a trilogy that we're doing to introduce the Wesleys to America, and I am having so much fun. It is done by Optic Productions, Brie and Chuck West. I don't know if you know them, but if you don't, you need to get to know them first class all the way. Just very intuitive, respectful. Brie wrote this beautiful sequel to the first one out of knowing uh us as actors and our personalities and whatnot. So she's incorporated this in our second one. So we got to play our strengths. One of the young ladies, Lauren Lott, she's she's a beautiful vocalist and she's singing in it. And TC Carson is is in it as well, who's singing. Jasmine Guy plays my wife. But I'm so proud of this work. It's a it's a Christmas movie, but there's a story behind it, and everybody's storyline is so import Horton and and you're gonna walk away and it'll make you think. But it's a great feel good movie. But we are shooting the third one in after the New Year. We usually shoot in November, but because of the strike. They pushed it to in the January beginning of February. But we're shooting in South Africa. Oh yeah, so I'm so aware of South Africa. I think Johannesburg, but I'm not positive. So they haven't gave us all the particulars. But we keep going. Yeah, so we're doing that and then hopefully, well not hopefully, it's going to become a series The Wesleys.
Speaker 1: They will the Wesleys Lady and Keleman look Out for the Wesleys starring Dory and Wilson. Look Out for Anything starring Dorian Wilson, because he is a stellar star and he is the most humble person in the industry, and.
Speaker 2: He has seventy eight credits and more.
Speaker 4: Because I love that, I'm going to get a T shirt that says that writing.
Speaker 2: It, I love you so much, feeling all the tea on me. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: When we come back on the Spirited Actor podcast with me Tracy Moore, I'm giving Cassidy Arkins.
Speaker 2: That woman right there.
Speaker 1: She introduced me to Spruce and that's how inside the Black Box. She is the reason why I'm here, and we'll be back and I'm going to give her and all of you guys some love, and now we are going.
Speaker 2: To celebrate in Kudos Corner. Kudos Corner is.
Speaker 1: Where we celebrate spirited actors who are performing, got booked, directing, writing.
Speaker 2: We want to give them their flowers now.
Speaker 1: So in this week's Kudos Corner, we are celebrating Audia Gunza. She is a Spirited actor alumni and actress, writer director. She recently filmed a featured film, thirty and Dating, which I coached her. The film will be released in twenty twenty four, and I hear that there may be some series talk for her right now.
Speaker 2: She also starred in and assisted directing an off Broadway play.
Speaker 1: She has credits on New Amsterdam and Just Like That and a short film Rebellious. When she's not in front of the camera, Audia keeps herself tuned in and engaged by working productions and on sets like Just Like That, American horror story, New Amsterdam and Fueled. She also is currently writing her own featured film, Kudos to Audio Gonzales and now It's time to give love. People don't say what they mean, and they don't mean what they say. You have to watch them and observe their behavior. This is what I stress to actors in the acting world. But trust me when I tell you you can use it in real life too, and it will save you time and heartache. Milangelo says, when people show up, believe them. A lot of times in life we give people the benefit of the doubt, but when they tell us who they are, believe it. Don't think you can change it. Don't think it's maybe this is just a moment. Trust your instincts, trust your energy and what you feel. If it's not conducive to lifting you up and making you feel the best that you can feel, then it's not for you. Learn to be able to determine what's good for you and what it's not good for you and save yourself a lot of time and a lot of hearty, don't forget to look out for us on our new show, Inside the Black Box. My co host will be Joe the Legend Morton. It's going to be the Spirited Actor Podcast on Steroids.
Speaker 2: We'll be streaming on the Crackle network. I'll keep you posted.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited Podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you