Speaker 1: Hey, Jack, you guys don't do video right because I have not dried my bangs.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, we do not do video. We keep our video on for the purposes of like eye contact and just you know, making it feel for vibes. But your bangs are kind of fucking up my vibes a little bit. Now, your vibes look, your bangs look great. The vibes are immaculate.
Speaker 1: A fucked up bang will really throw you, you know what I mean, Like when someone's bangs are fucked up, Like how do you look at their eyes?
Speaker 2: You know, I dare you. Yeah, I'm gonna just keep saying bangs in like random parts of sentences. So she.
Speaker 1: Bangs.
Speaker 2: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, thirty six, Episode five of Dirt Dilly's I Guys Day, a production of iHeart Radio. Sorry justin I think it was peaking up top. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into American shared consciousness. And it is Friday, May third, twenty twenty four. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Donald Trump Farted, And I'll cry if I want to cry. If I want to cry, if I want to you would cry too if you had to smell his poo. We are a sophisticated news podcast, and that one is courtesy of Hannah am mcview on the discord Happy Birthday, Hannah, one of the best AKA writers in existence. That one, in reference to Trump farting up his courtroom, falling asleep in court, then waking himself up with his own fart and running out of the room like a startled dog, is how I like to imagine it happening. And we don't have live video footage, so that's all we got is just how my brain is imagining it.
Speaker 3: I like how our country has combined the Emperor and the Corgi into one being.
Speaker 2: It's just the same thing. Just gross.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Well, we are thrilled to be joined in our second seat by a very special co host, hilarious and brilliant producer, TV writer. You know him from the oos this racist podcast. It's Andrew t Yo.
Speaker 3: I have no AKA. Go and donate to bail funds and jail support and get out there. I'm sorry, that's all I've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll link off to the campus bail funds directory. In the footnotes, there is a good like h to the Izzo AKA for you somewhere in the discord just for next time.
Speaker 3: I I'll see you in hell before I download discord, Zechag you have to send me a notarized letter with your various pitches and they'll they'll reach the air eventually.
Speaker 2: That's the only way to do it. It needs to be the pigeon if possible. Well, Andrew, it's wonderful to have you. Thank you for filling in miles out for the day. We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a brilliantly talented writer filmmaker. She was the head writer for the Problem with John Stewart and wrote on Girls five Eva, Blessed, This Mess, The Opposition with Jordan Klepper, among many others. She wrote, directed, and starred in the acclaimed short film Basic, and hosts the podcast Glamorous Trash, a celebrity memoir podcast that recently had a banger Delta Burke episode. It's Chelsea Davonte. Wow, so excited? Wow, Wow, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good? I know what am I talking about?
Speaker 2: Fine?
Speaker 1: I know, it's just so built into me, like great, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: But it's like yeah, asking yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Well it's like grading on a curve, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what, on the curve, I am doing great this day compared to a few days ago, crushing it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're saying, because we got the kind words of our president to make us feel a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've really been hanging on every Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Callment leadership amazing. The delta Berg episode, Man, wow.
Speaker 1: Isn't that wild?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So she that was her first interview in twenty years, so she is, Yeah, I've waited the press for twenty years. But actually I was gonna tell you. I know you're gonna ask about my search history, and it's about this story. So we all know that, like you can't trust a headline and no one reads the articles and clickbait and blah blah blah. But also I've spent a lot of my career fighting against the notion of fake news, like let's stand up for journalism. I still do that. And then in this delta Berg interview, which she did because I wrote her a letter. I wrote her letter telling her that I'd written about her in my book and that when I read her nineteen ninety eight half Style, half memoir book, it changed my life and there's this tiny little part in the book where there's one section where she's like, I didn't do drugs, I didn't drink. I lived with my grandma until I was thirty in Hollywood. And then there's another section where she's like, Hollywood punished me for being a size ten. They said I was a cow. And so I tried various diets, including crystal myth. And you know she can't, so she categorized it as a diet and not it wasn't in the drug section. Okay, it was in the diet section. I was like, that is so hilarious. So I get her, I get to Zoom. I'm like, Delta, what is this? Why did how is crystal meth listed as a diet in this book? And she's like, let me tell you. Some woman came on to set and was like, do you need medication to lose weight? She was like I do, and she was like, try crystal meth. And the woman's like you gotta snort it, and Delsa's like, no, I don't do drug. What are you talking about? So Delta put crystal meth in a glass of cranberry juice.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you were gonna say, crystal light that would hap.
Speaker 1: I wish no, just just to light crystal and cran and drink it every morning as if it was medicine. Okay, So that's what we talk about. The headlines that went viral about my episode said things like Delta Burke saw crystal meth as medicine, Delta Burke and her raging drug abuse problem, Delta Burke and her secret crystal meth issues. And I guess, like technically, technically, like, yeah, I guess, but if you just like, yeah, scrolled by it, you'd be like, oh, I didn't know, like she was doing crystal meth. You'd have none of the context, none of the nuance. And I just like, it just really depressed me, man, you know. And also, Delta was so mistreated in the eighties. All these headlines would be like, Delta don how much weight have you put on? Like, Delta Don, your size ten? You should kill yourself. And then twenty years later she's like, I'll do a little podcast, and then.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was like we're back. Yeah, I feel like we haven't gone too many, we haven't gone too far since the eighties. We're pretty eighties out, like in terms of our moral panic and.
Speaker 1: Got and just how we treat women, How we treat women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't gone far from the eighteen eighties, as we'll talk about in terms of how we treat women.
Speaker 1: My god. Yeah yeah, well it was. It was still a beautiful interview. I got so many messages of people saying they cried. If you listen Andrew Jack, I expect a DM saying I sobbed my heart out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, I'll send you again. Not but this, yeah, you see yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 1: It's good to know you wear mescara because you do have dark eyelashes and I like that.
Speaker 2: The yeah, yeah, yeah, this is mascara, and it's going to be patches on my cheek. It's going to be just streaming down my face later on. Well, we've already got your search history. We will just take a quick moment here to tell the listeners a couple of things we're talking about. We aren't going to talk about Joe Biden's statement about college protesters and also his background when it comes to protesting and you know, trying trying to both sides that shit. We'll talk about that. We'll talk, of course, about the Blue episode that the band Blue episode are either of you familiar with Blue?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So when I leave my needy quarantine dog alone for an hour or two, we put on Blue because we heard we heard something that I've actually never even googled, which is that dogs can see bluey like, he's the color blue that dogs can see. No idea if it's true. And so he's been learning a lot of lessons while we're out, and then we come in and we we always catch the last five minutes of Blue, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Blue's always great last five minutes. This episode was extremely controversial, banned only in the United States for reasons that aren't really clear to anybody. I watched it this morning.
Speaker 1: Unclear, I mean, aren't they The voices in Blue are always like impi And the fact that like anything like that is banned is so funny to me, Like, how is my dog gonna learn?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What the fuck? How's your dog gonna learn about childbirth? The subject of the banned episode. It was the junior episode of Blue where the dead pretends to give childbirth and they're like, yeah, America's not America is not gonna be ready for this shit. The American men, in particular.
Speaker 1: My dog and Joe Biden are gonna protest is bad.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be freaking out, and then just franny parents out there as kids complained about monsters in the closet. We have a news story of what that could mean. Hint, it's be But anyways, we'll talk about all that plenty more. But first, Chelsea, we do like to get to know you a little bit better. We've already found out that your search history was.
Speaker 1: Google Delzeberg headlines Delzeberg of my own podcast episode. Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's all I would do if you got a Delta Break episode and we have an in turn learned that I think I took from that that crystal math is medicine? Was that the headline that I was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Uh huh, that was the takeaway?
Speaker 2: Yes, But what is something that you think is underrated?
Speaker 1: Underrated? Is the Libby app? Are you guys up on Libby?
Speaker 2: Libby?
Speaker 1: Okay? This is like just a legit PSA. Libby is your library app. Right, so you're sort of like, oh, sure, whatever, you guys, fucking Libby man, you just download it, right. Some libraries you can be like, hey, I live here, and they'll get they'll just let you into Libby you don't even got to walk in the library.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then once you're on it, they just give you audio books. You're like, I'd listen to this audiobook and then you just listen for free like you do from the library. And then most importantly, you know, I was on Apple News. I wanted to read something really pressed, which was US Weekly, and it was like, no, you got to sign up for the pop culture trash section of Apple News to get this. And then I just remembered I can read any magazine I want on Libby, just like at the library. So I was just paging through US Weekly on my Libby app. It's free. And libraries, as you may be suffering, books are getting banned. People are like, actually, libraries are in the wrong, and one easy way to support them is to sign up for a library card download the Libby app, because that is how their budgets are based on how much money the government gives them, is they look at their circulation numbers. So just be using that Libby as much as you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Libby is great. The library is a blast. It's so fun, especially if you have kids to just like go explore the stacks. Don't use the you don't need to use the Dewey decimal system. You can just kind of browse something that I've I used to be intimidated by having to go and like find numbers. Yeah, the number is and what the fuck does that whole system mean? That was like an entire year of my education. I feel like, in thirty shocking how much time we spound on that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: To study the Dewey decimal. Yeah, it's also when you said Libby back at me, I was like, they did a pretty good job, Like you know how it's like HBO Max can't decide on its summer platform. It's like Max and HBB and they keep changing it and Libby like straight up Library, Libby. They look good.
Speaker 2: They did. Louie's saying the word library. It's great, you're right right adorable it is. It's it's exactly like if they had and maybe they did, hire like the same marketing agency as a Fortune five hundred company, Like that's what that shitty marketing company would have come up with, but for like you know, they would have charged them two hundred million dollars to come up with it, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I hope it was just like someone you know, pushing the book cart and they were like, Libby, yeah that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know Libby, Sure, yeah, that's actually a good idea. But I doubt it was the like marketing agency that redesigned Pepsi's logo.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I don't think the library's budgets has a marketing agency involved to the library. But you know, when you go to the website, I'm not I don't think there's like, you know, it's not like a we work is running that shit.
Speaker 2: It's very functional. We were startup. Yeah, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 1: Okay, this is pretty niche. What is your just general knowledge of David Mammott the playwright?
Speaker 2: I know, I think I read American Buffalo in college. I don't even know if that's the right name. Obviously Glengarry Glen Ross and yeah that's and then his daughter was in Girls. Yes, okay, what I've got for you perfect Andrew.
Speaker 3: I was double checking. I thought he had written the only movie I'd ever walked out of it, but I was incorrect. So I think of David mammontt as it's just like every character is David mammontt. I love, I love when everyone has the exact same voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah play yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it his Yeah, all his characters talk the same way. And and I remember like making fun of David Mammont when I was in college was like a highly like literary sophisticated thing to do. Like I remember somebody being like, I just imagine David Mammett plays as a bunch of chickens up there saying the lines to each other, and everyone like laughed really hard, and I was like, yes, I get that you've been owned Mammot, but I don't know he he felt to me like with just very little context, like it felt like one of those people who like gets super big in literary circles. And then everyone's like, wait, this kind of sucks, right, we were wrong. We were wrong about this, like really quickly after.
Speaker 1: That, I had a different I mean, same, same bit different. So unfortunately I went to acting school where David Mammott plays are taught to you is good. And also he has things where he's like every like no one can ever change a word. And not only that, my commas are so fucking precise. If you do not take a breath where the comma is like you're a bad actor. So like that was how David Mammick came into my life. Then I was like, oh, he's an EPO daughter. Then it moved on. Okay, So he came out with a new book recently and it entered my worldview because it's like kind of memoir ish and it's called Everywhere in oink Oinc. And the tagline is like how everyone in Hollywood is a fucking pig like poink oink like and it's like how everyone is like not creative and how they ruined his projects and how like everyone in a suit is pig. And I was like, I would fucking love to read that. So I get this book being like this is gonna this is gonna be a book I'd like to read him shit on like shitting on people. That sounds fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like like one of those like William gold Golden memoirs where he just like spills and it's like here's why listen sucks, and like he's right half the time in a way where you're like, oh shit, that's crazy good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is what I expected. So impossible to understand even a single sentence. I think the second sentence is like diversity and equity initiatives have ruined Hollywood. Yes, he's full maga Like paragraph one is like and Trump was pretty good. Then I'm like, okay, but let's get I'm gonna try page two. You can't understand anything. He's choosing high words he's not using. It's ineligible. I go on good Reads. The famous David Mammont at that point had four good Reads reviews. When you were famous, you should at least get one hundred trolls. Yeah, all four good Reads reviews are like, this is not even a book.
Speaker 2: Now he's doing an accident. Was this a mistake?
Speaker 1: He's like, it's exactly what you said where It's like, I guess twenty years ago we were like, isn't he so smart? And now we've all grown up and we're like, oh, he's the dumbest man alive. And he's on a full maga tour telling people that diversity and equity iniives have ruined Hollywood. And so anyways, I just in case anyone out there didn't know that David Mammon is a full on piece of pink himself. I wanted I guess he was like liberal toast of the town and now he's maga.
Speaker 2: Guys are like kind of getting together and being like this is uh, this is a real problem. Someone say, the real problem diversity in Hollywood is that's the only one disaster. Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Even though my daughter was on a huge TV show, diversity equity initiatives are blocking her next.
Speaker 3: Fame h She was she was good in Madame wre I will say, I can't believe you saw that. I will say this one of my top cinema experiences of this year whenever Urine was out.
Speaker 2: It was really fun.
Speaker 3: I'll just do the spoiler now, which is clearly off of that that like the virality of that insane line from the trailer. They cut it in the actual cut of the film, and it is like the biggest tease. The whole theater went nuts when they don't finish the line. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's the line because I actively tried to hide from any madam.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. It's something about like this is the villain whatever his name is. He he was researching spiders in the Amazon with my mother when she died, right before she died, right before she died, somewhere like and they say three quarters of the line and then it just cuts, like clearly post trailer they cut it, and or maybe the line was cobbled together for the trailer, but it was like like everyone in the theater was like mouthing the words along and then it stops and it was just.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, the hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone's losing their minds. It's so fun to see in the theater.
Speaker 2: He was in the Amazon with my mom when she was researching spiders just before she died. Now, you guys are both writers. Sometimes you need to get exposition out and like just get it out there, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I call a studio no. And when you're ever, you're like watching TV and you're like, why did that happen? It's almost always because they have to say something, and if you don't know how to do the creative part, you only know how to do the logical part, so they'll give notes of like but how and why is she there? I have really had a big question of that, and I love that the writer was like, he's there because the Amazon and she died just before the spiders. Okay, fuck you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I literally have had lines in scripts that I've like marked on my side of final draft as like this is just to get it past you know, the exacts, and then there are times when they've almost made it to air or whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, no, no, no, no, no no, I was just giving what you want to show you how dumb you were? Oh no no no, oh no oh no yeah. Wow, Like that line, now that is really the that's the one that we're gonna want to put in the fucking trailer. Like in this case, think it's wonderful recommend Lynchpin. That was Yeah. I had no idea Sidney Sweeney was in that movie, like she was like having a massive moment, but like they don't even like put her in the trailer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And why did Dakota Johnson say yes? She is such a get in Hollywood? Like there's so few young stars that will green light a movie, get a green a movie, greenlight like for your budget. I imagine she could have had any Marvel character, any non Sony Marvel project, any movie, well even on just not that movie. How did they get hurt? Why did she say yes?
Speaker 3: I think she was basically told you're going to be Spider Man. This is identical the Spider Man. Why are we speculating this we could probably yeah, it's I don't know, but I think.
Speaker 1: Listen between, you have to rewatch Madam Webb or you have to watch all three fifty shades of gray. Which what do you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I told you I love Madame Webb.
Speaker 2: And are you are you disappointed that it will not be that the saga of Madam Webb will not be continuing for us?
Speaker 3: I like, you know, now, it's all headcannon. Now she's just wearing like Red oak Ley's in the in the whole universe of my brain, and it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and cover some news, and we're back. And so Joe Biden, right, just quick times bringing the country together as he does, probably not in the way that he thought. There was a truly incredible scene at the University of Alabama on Wednesday where pro Palestine and pro Israel protesters briefly united to chant fuck Joe Biden. That's also just you know what you do in Alabama. But everybody was like, yeah, no, yeah, I think we're on the same page. I think we can back that one.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, it's nice, but a common enemy can bring two sides together. It works in all social all social situations, including this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is like just a.
Speaker 3: Thinking genuinely, My question is what why are Israeli like proes or pro Israeli counter protesters mad at Joe Biden?
Speaker 2: Honestly? I think because they're multiple issue voters, right, and so yeah, I think they're probably on board with him for others or on board against him and with Trump for other reasons. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Well, And also isn't it because Biden, like you said, is doing the both sides, like he tries to acknowledge Gaza or he did send nine million to the nine million to Gaza relief and then you know, forty million to bombing Gaza, and I think they were like boo that nine million, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, yeah, So he decided to leap into action and delivered a rousing, garbage statement that attempted to gaslight everyone who is watching by lying about the nature of the protests, also suggesting the brutality of the police was justified given that descent must never lead to disorder. That which is like such an authoritarian line like so he had just said, we are not an authoritarian nation where we silence people or we squashed descent, yet descent must never lead to disorder, which is fucking wild.
Speaker 3: A nice accidental fascist. I think he really doesn't think it's a problem. It's so wild.
Speaker 1: On thet did he say that on the steps where the insurrection.
Speaker 2: Happens, right, he specifically mentioned that destruction of property is not peaceful and that there were broken windows in Colombia. These fucking broken windows are doing so much heavy lifting, you guys. Truly, truly, the president is like mentioning like the right to defend these windows there. Did you guys see the NYPD like action movie trailer that they cut together of their raid on the building in Columbia that the protesters were occupying. They like put together this trailer where it's like in a in the like war room as they're like looking at video of a guy waving a flag and then they're like, what which one is that? That's the one we got to go through, Like, let's go through that window, and it's like ramping up and ramping up, and and they like go in to the building and it's just the most like dramatic fucking music you've ever seen. And then you know, hard cut without any of the brutality shown hard cut to them walking out with the protesters in handcuffs, but they don't, you know, the like all they can show is like some furniture that's been overturned inside the building. And then they like show the broken window like three times, like from three different angles, like it's a fucking horror film or something like. That's like the victim.
Speaker 1: Also, like, you know, we all know what Columbia's tuition is. Isn't it like fifty thousand dollars a semester, like they've got a window fund? But yeah, it is, so it is. I have to say this to see the generation that whose freshman year was was zooming into collegeay, they zoomed in, they were cornines to now find their way outside to actually fight for something. It's not online, it is in person. It's like so together and to see this be the response, Yeah, fucking hot. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: I just gotta say it's hot as hell.
Speaker 3: We're This is like the the video version of every time. The NYPD like is like, look at this drug haul we found and it's like a pen knife and like a bag of weed, and it's like yeah, yeah, yeah, you have nothing.
Speaker 2: You never have anything they. I mean, the big hall that they got out of the raid in Colombia was the bike lock, which Miles talked about on yesterday's episode, but is still one of them. Like I just yeah, I guess I like the thing that always strikes me when we're in the midst of this, like, you know, propaganda bullshit like that has brought the mainstream media in Like the last time, I feel like it was this kind of concerted and full of shit, was like WMDs, but like that, you know, it's just I'm always struck by the like unblinking stupidity of the like lies and like just not even attempting to hide it. And the bike chain thing is just the wildest reach. Yeah, just such a mess.
Speaker 1: Jack Reacher of Yes mines.
Speaker 2: Yes, and just the morning Joe being like going along with that, being like, yes, no, that does show things are really out of line here. And because you found that, it means that we've entered a new era where like, you know, industrial grade terrorists are the people behind these student protests. Is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Where I like to remind people that Joe of Mourning Joe writes and sings his own songs on guitar and you can't find them online.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they must be so good, so soulful.
Speaker 3: It's got a real insight to the human condition, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he gets set, he gets sick there.
Speaker 2: But they're really trying to start this narrative that the protesters are dangerous. Sure, and it's real. It is like I'm seeing it everywhere now, like it started a couple days ago, and it's really like ramping up where they're like like they they've successfully tainted the student protests in the minds of I think a lot of like at least in the headlines of the mainstream I don't know that it's actually infecting anyone's minds, but it's such bullshit.
Speaker 1: All of mainstream media is still operating on old cycles that used to work, even just like how television shows are made, all these things, and so it really makes me laugh when they try and run pr that would have worked fifteen years ago. And it's like, you know, people have.
Speaker 4: Phones tiptok still alive for the moment, like Facebook videos like they're no one's reading your headline, I don't know if you And even if they are, they're also scrolling TikTok where they'll see the exact opposite.
Speaker 1: It's like they don't know that their lives can be caught. Yeah, and like when will they catch us?
Speaker 3: This is so easy to refuse like that they're like I only saw it in the context of people on Twitter being like Columbia literally sells this chain in their literal bookstore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it is.
Speaker 3: It is available one hundred yards from Hamilton Hall. Like it's like right there.
Speaker 2: If you have ever ridden a bike in the city, like you are, you know this bike chain. It's like such a It also just further drives home what like the different like just this division that these people are living on a completely different planet. Like it's like it was like literally watching an alien like holding up a toothbrush and being like their weapons that we have discovered are you know, It's just like, what the fuck are you even talking about? Like what I mean to me?
Speaker 3: It's such clear, eviden And said the like, the two things that are the clearest evidence that the protests are utterly peaceful is that this is the best they could do. Yeah, and the fact that the cops went in at all, because if they were remotely dangerous, we have seen many times that the cops do not go into buildings with Gusto like that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, good point, good point.
Speaker 1: I just want them to do a press conference where they're like, we're hearing that the students have something called RIZ and they are standing an attack and we will be decoding this soon. Yeah, that's right, Yeah, working hard.
Speaker 2: Some of the footage from the well, we'll link off to the action movie trailer that they the NYPD like smashed together in the days after you know that that was what they were focused on, not only spending you know, millions of dollars on a single raid to arrest a bunch of comparative literature majors.
Speaker 1: But a bunch of future pr girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I mean yeah, and they they've been like great and sophistic and so brave, but like I do just like they are treating it like they're going in there. They want to portray this idea like they're they're going in there against action movie villains. And but they're like there's this part of the video where the guy who like took the bike chain to or the bike lock to Morning Joe is there and he's like, you know what, I feel safe because I'm with these people and they're like the best in the world, and like they're just like standing in an empty hallway, just like opening door after door because they like haven't found the protesters yet. It's like, no, you feel you feel safe because it's not because you're going in and like rating a peaceful protest like it's a fucking drug bust. And at the end of fucking scarface.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and I mean, and I didn't I didn't mean to, like in case it came off as like I was like shitting on your girls, which by the way to the best work in the world, but just the idea that they have more balls to stand up and say something and fight for something that matters. Yeah, you know, and like this is who you're treating, like you said, like a criminal. I have to tell you, when you described that trailer, I thought you were just I don't know what I missed. I thought you were describing a sketch. But I was like, oh, fun I see how that's funny that they did that. That's they really did that.
Speaker 2: NYPD like created this with their media department and put it out and is like, you know, New York's bravest and it's fucking bananas.
Speaker 1: And do you think that's just like Mikey Mikey, who runs social media for the nypting is like, get a load of this. I got capp cut on my phone and explosion sounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I think like they got the people who edit action movie trailers, and the thing that they landed on that was like, well, we got to show them the threat at the end of the trailer, Like all they could find was the broken window. Like, so they just showed it from three different angles. It's it's unbelievable. Yeah. But anyways, so Biden gets up gives this like terms and conditions for when it's okay for Americans to peacefully protest. It's like, if it's perceived to be disorderly, of course, prepared to have your skull cracked by riot cop, it cannot be there cannot be perceived disorder in your public display of protest. So this is just I don't know, he kind of has a lung history of this being a chrode being like he's he's a good boy, he's a good you know, he's a CoP's friend. Yes, but he's always been kind of this middle of the road person when he was. When he first ran for Senate in nineteen seventy two, he distanced himself from the anti war movement, saying that he was not big on flack jackets and tight ice shirts. Man, So I don't know, you take that how you want. But then he also like was the anti like opposed to Vietnam candidate when he was running. But then like when he was in law school, he walked past some protesters who were taking over a building and his response was, quote, look at these assholes.
Speaker 1: So I mean, do you remember what he did to Anita Hill. Yeah, that feels like all you need to know.
Speaker 2: That's really truly all we need to know.
Speaker 1: And that's when when people put up photos and they're like he was actually super hot when he was younger, which like, yeah, he was a lot better. Yeah, like I said, you guys really hot, and like even at his youngest most virile stage was like Anita Hill should shut the fuck up and Clarence Thomas should be in our supring court forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, no, he he was like brutal, like one of the most brutal attackers of Anita Hill. But yeah, he like stans. You know, he lied about being marching in the civil rights movement when he actually didn't. But like, so he likes the idea. I think it's the way a lot of people are. There's been a lo lot of comparisons between the students the student protests now and the Vietnam protests, and like, on the one hand, we shouldn't need to like put protests into nostalgia box to make anybody care about it. But on the other I do think it kind of underlines the hypocrisy of the establishment just once again doing the same, Like this is exactly how it was at that time, Like it wasn't popular with the mainstream media, and you know, but people like it in retrospect when it's safe and similar with the civil rights movement, like they like it in theory now that you can use the words of Martin Luther King Junior in your car ad But like they didn't, you know, at the time it was treated like this, it was, Yeah, the mainstream media was very critical of it, and civil disobedience is like, you know, how does that not fit the definition that Biden just used of like creating chaos?
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, he's the quintessential I posted a black square on my Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: Why I never did anything else. Everyone else just kind of did. It feels like the moment to do it, I have no idea what it means, and like never donated, and then we move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're also it's like in twenty years, people are going to be like, oh, of course I supported these protesters, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeahah, yeah, it's so gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will just say so. I went to Columbia, and I was too much of an idiot probably at the time, but I do remember in our freshman orientation. I think it was the Art History building where there are still bloodstains on the wall Jesus from the protest, And in retrospect, the amount of passive voice that is used on that little like orientation makes it sound like the NYPD just showed up and this horrible thing, and of course the administration had nothing to do with it. It's like fucking disgusting me now that I understand how the world works a little better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're on their like web page. Columbia is a far different place today than it was in the spring of nineteen sixty eight, when protesters took over university buildings amid discontent about the Vietnam War racism, the university's proposed expansion into Morning Side Park. After a week long standoff, New York City police stormed the campus and we were as surprised as anyone. It seems so employ really.
Speaker 3: It's really like, oh, they just they came in.
Speaker 2: You let all these cops in? Yeah, what the fuck. N YU has a section about the quote world of activism opportunities on their website, but again it's and they do name check this the protest of nineteen sixty eight, but they don't want any of the smoke. They just want the cool pictures.
Speaker 3: It's basically they're saying, we will beat you, and that will give you credibility.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, instance, and then we will agree to lionize you in the future when we're safely removed from this and can all have a good chuckle about it.
Speaker 1: And if you ever write a screenplay, we will use your photo on our website. That's right, we will forget what you've done today.
Speaker 3: The single most like insane piece of junk mail I got like last week was Columbia asking if I wanted to sign up for an alumni credit card, which was like, it is actually pretty unique to encapsulate so many things that are wrong with the world in one little letter.
Speaker 2: Right now, they're gonna say, they were asking you if you want to do it, re enroll to Yeah, get some open spots. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some other stories. And we're bad. And so Blue is one of the kids shows that my kids will watch that I feel like, I don't know it. It doesn't feel like a net negative to their overall humanity, Like it's just it's so good. They like feel more imaginative after they watch it as opposed to less. You know, like I feel like a lot of stuff is just creates the one the desire to just like keep watching more shit and Blue just like makes you want to like go play with an insect or something. But anyways, it's a it's a good show, genuinely like sweet and smart. But there's one episode that Disney has refused to air or stream in the United States, and it's called dad Baby. It was broadcast in Australia and the UK, but Disney holds the US rights to Louis and Dad Baby hasn't been legally seen in America. It's been it's been illegally seen at some some viewing parties that I throw at my house. But it's it just dropped though, folks and everybody. It's already got a million views in its first day. Everybody like rushed to YouTube and it is so confusing what they were worried about. It's just a story where the dad like puts on one of those like babyholder things, and his youngest daughter like crawls into the baby holder thing, and then they like do a riff on like what if dad had to give birth? Like childbirth seems painful and that, and then they like do like play it out, so the dad is giving birth.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you've heard, but JK. Rowling has been actually writing a Responds Blue episode and it's it's a girl dog and she just beats the shit out of Dad's dog episode.
Speaker 2: For like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 5: It's really wild.
Speaker 3: I like this episode because it feels like a like late late the season of a like Kevin James Multicam, Like, all right, here's what we're gonna do. He's gonna he gets in trouble, so he has to pretend to give birth.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not even I guess one of the things that's fun about Blue is that, like they don't you don't have to come up with a premise to get them to do fun stuff. It's just the premise of the show is like, yeah, we like to play games with each other, and so this episode is just like playing a game or like playing pretend or something like that. Because yeah, if this were if this were a sitcom, there would be some wild recently plot machinations of like, why do we all right if we're gonna get evicted if we can't convince this guy that we're having another baby?
Speaker 1: Okay? It would be like Kevin, it'd be like Kevin James and Leah Remedy, because he did kill off his wife in his second sitcom. That's actually true, he just killed her in the second season. He's like, bring lea remedy, back lea remedy. He is talking about something. Kevin James is like, like giving birth was that bad?
Speaker 6: And she goes okay, and then she challenges him to a little dare and he's got to carry around a little baby and pretend to push it out, and he's like, oh right, that actually was pretty uh right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just to just to get out of the doghouse. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Ken, will you bring me a beer now? Yeah? You earned your beer.
Speaker 2: You know. I guess I did learn a thing or two about how hard this this childbirth thing is all right with beer. But yeah, I don't know the thing that this story reminded me of. I know this isn't Za's love, but it reminded me of when the story of David Zaslov on his yacht trying to watch Fleabag and like pausing it and being like to hit the other people who watch TV with him on his yacht, like having a viewing party on his yacht, and he's like, all right, here, here's the deal. We're gonna either shut this off right now because she's masturbating, or we're gonna watch it and nobody can look at the other person because like that's how like mortified he was by flea Bag. Like like that that is the level of like American specifically male fragility that like yah demands that we never I don't know, acknowledge the autonomy of like a woman or that like a woman can do something better than a man or something, you know, like this is.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous because men can have babies, as I learned from that.
Speaker 3: Bluey episode, right, yes they must. It really as a bummer that Ned Flanders has greenlight power over like forty percent of media. Yeah, it was just like this is not this is not a good side. Yeah, but asterisk of course if WB comes calling, it will work for anything.
Speaker 2: Of course. Yeah, yeah, no you are if you want to acquire this podcast, We'll never say another bad word about you again.
Speaker 3: Like you know, I really wrote so much shit on about Zaz Laugh on Twitter over the strike that I was like, maybe maybe do a little.
Speaker 2: I should just a fuck up on this one. But yeah, I don't know. Like it's that people were like, is the birth sequence like because you know, it's it's definitely one of those things where the people in power, by trying to stamp out the thing that they were concerned about, made it much stronger because everyone was like, wait, so is the birth sequence like super graphic, like well, how what is happening in this episode? And then now that everybody can finally see it, it's like, no, he's just wearing a baby Bjorn and the baby like the his daughter comes out of the baby Bjorn like what the fuck is what could possibly have bothered them about this?
Speaker 3: Thankfully, none of this is a metaphor for anything, so it's all it's all good.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Does it feel because like it also feels like this could be just a thing where like the people in charge of killing stuff didn't watch the episode. I feel like even the words around it, they're just like, we don't we don't want any of this. We're so scared of I would guess transphobes. Yeah, probably prominently like that, Like why would we just go there?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's like the same way.
Speaker 3: Like once again, like they it's like the uh coyote versus acme. They like didn't screen it for the people that ultimately killed it, and it's like, guys, at least watch the thing.
Speaker 1: Pretend a little kid was going to be like man like, can dads? Can dads have babies?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And then that dad was gonna drive his car into the steps of the capitol.
Speaker 2: All right. And finally, speaking of a lot very parent parenthood heavy episode, a child complaining about monsters in their wall was actually hearing fifty thousand bees. So North Carolina toddler complained to her mom that there were monsters in the closet. This actually happened to me when I was a kid, Like I was like, there's birds in my room. Like I slept like right next to an opening to the attic and I was like, there's birds in my room. My parents were like shut the fuck at one and that it was like a bat infestation in our attic. But in this case, the monsters were simply fifty thousand bees in the wall. So one hundred pounds of bees just inside of this child's wall, and the whole thing is captured on TikTok.
Speaker 1: So is it bad that? My takeaway is like I'm just like so happy that many bees are doing good right, thriving.
Speaker 2: Just move out of there. Maybe this will be a new the new start that the bees were require this house now yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. The bees then live. Yeah in Joe Biden's America, the bees can take over your house and there's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 1: Right that it's a disruption. Send the NYPD in to fuck those bees up.
Speaker 2: Fuck them up.
Speaker 3: I would love to see one cop in rya gear fight fifty thousand bees. I'll just throw that out there.
Speaker 2: That would be great. Well, Chelsea, what a pleasure of having you on the daily es geist. Where can people find you, follow you, hear you all that good stuff?
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I wrote a book. It's out on June fourth. It's a comedy gal memoir. It is half just traumatically harrowing and half comedy. So that's like your kind of thing. I talk about all kinds of things in my life, like all my career stuff, but also you know, a like I don't know when I dated a magician and also when I found out my dad was not my dad. Are those two things related?
Speaker 2: Probably? You know. Read the book.
Speaker 1: So it's up June fourth, pre order it and get it anywhere. It's called I shouldn't be telling you this, And if you're like, fuck books, fuck Libby, then go listen to my podcast Glamorous.
Speaker 2: Trash where a wait, that is normally our take on this podcast.
Speaker 5: Fuck books, fuck books, fuck books. Oh oh my god, everyone's such a pro book bias, truly, Chelsea. Is there a tweet or work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've really been enjoying this newsletter. It's called I Love Mess And she will do coverage on Club Shallow which is this one woman on Twitter, he who has started club Shallow May. But she's just like really on a journey with her obsession with Timothy Challomey, and like I need someone covered. That's my news, that's my mainstream media, so listen, That's that's what I've been enjoying lately.
Speaker 2: So it was like a fan club for Timothy Shallman.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's also just a singular woman who's like really gone to some dark places recently. Like she's running the club, but she's also the leader. She's a bit of a fascist herself. I would say about Timothy Challomey. Wow, and she's been starting some battles.
Speaker 2: Is it comedic like in intent?
Speaker 1: It sure is? No, not in nope, not intense. I would say she seriously might murder Kylie.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And that's yeah, No, she's very sincere Jesus amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you again for joining Andrew. Where can people find you as their work of media? You've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: I mean, Joss Racist is my podcast.
Speaker 2: I don't know about enjoying.
Speaker 3: But again, just shout out to WKCR King's Crown Radio, which is an insane the Columbia student radio station. My voice was on there a little bit back to the day that might have literally be why I could talk on a microphone at all. But I, of course was doing idiotic comedy and or art world stuff and these people are doing real ass journalism. Yeah, they're the best. I'm in awe of these students. Sorry, neither of my things have been funny this week, but.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a particularly funny week. And we will be linking off to the bail funds for campus encampments in the footnotes. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website, Daily zeikeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes. We link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Super producer justin what a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 7: Well, it's Friday, and I wanted to recommend a fun track to get your weekend going and distract from the depressing news cycle. So this song is actually kind of interesting because it came together through various artists kind of just vibing off of each other through the Internet, and these two musicians named Loomy did a short acoustic cover of Mac DeMarco's Chamber of Reflection with some beautiful harmonies, and then that was remixed by these two guys into like a chill drummond.
Speaker 2: Bass garage or garage type of song from a UK bred.
Speaker 7: You're out there and it's like this unfinished demo on SoundCloud, but it's two and a half minutes of just amazingly good, happy music. So this is Chamber of Reflections cover by Loomy the odn p remix and you can find that song in the footnotes footnotes.
Speaker 2: The Daily Zeit Guys is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever your favorite wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this week. We are back on Monday morning to tell you what was trending. Go over the weekend and we'll have a best of the Week episode over the weekend. But yeah, talk to you all on Monday. Have a good weekend. Stay safe out there. Bye