Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack arms Strong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Gatty Enough He Armstrong and Eddy.
Speaker 3: The White House is billing this as a routine annual dental and medical evaluation, though it's actually his third medical exam in the past year.
Speaker 2: All told, the President.
Speaker 3: Spent about three and a half hours at Walter Reed Medical Center today. White House officials telling us we should get a readout from the president's doctor within the next day or so, although, as you mentioned, Trump delivered his own report right after the visit, which he called a six month physical. He said, everything checked out perfectly.
Speaker 4: I don't worry that Trump's got dementia or some secret major health illness or whatever like that. But the idea that we would get the truth out of these is to me hilarious or even should or yes, or even should Yeah, let's announce to China and all our enemies and you ran or anything like that. He's really struggling right now mentally and physically, so now would be a good time to try to take advantage of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not going to tell us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as so often happens, the very premise of the left is completely wrong. To continue briefly our discussion the last hour, and we don't have to dig into this in full right now, but I want to eventually. The new leader of Massachusetts Top Teachers Union is a member of the Democratic Socialists of America who says the US is fascist, borders are for colonizers, and Israel's genocidal. All right, it's the head of the teachers union thinks this country is fascist.
Speaker 4: Speaking of heads of teachers' unions, Randy Wingarden just came out with a statement that I agree with in part. It's hilariously falling short because of the parent backlag against rapid tech use in schools. Randy Weingarten is signed on to no screens for second graders or younger, and no AI chatbots for students in elementary schools.
Speaker 2: Why we all don't.
Speaker 4: Agree on a blanket ban of no screens in schools period, I do not know. It's insane to me, so the second graders and youngers younger. Of course, if you're in third, fourth, fifth grade, or a senior high school sitting there staring at your phone, it's perfectly okay.
Speaker 2: While they try to teach you. What the hell are we doing?
Speaker 1: Keep in mind that if you have a PhD in education or a master's, but especially you're really advanced degrees, the only thing that can possibly justify your high, high salary is if you innovate, and they're so obsessed with it that they'll abandon something like phonics that works perfectly. It's a miracle of effective teaching, but they've got to flush it to make their salary worth it. We've come up with a new innovative way. Well, the screens and the tech were that for a lot of your education PhDs. We're gonna usher in a new era of individualized blah blah blah. And they've invested zillions of dollars in this stuff. So yeah, getting them to say no, we're totally wrong. In fact, it's accomplishing the opposite of what we said. It's a disaster and a squandering of taxpayer money. Yeah, good luck with that.
Speaker 4: If you want to some interesting stuff about the Supreme Court and it's positive news, stay tuned because Sarah isger in her new book, Last Branch Standing later this hour.
Speaker 1: And it will cut through a lot of the just utter crap that you hear about the Supreme Court these days too. A couple of stupid headlines we will get to. We can get to at least one. I'll let Jack choose which one after some serious news. Your choice is between a the race for California governor has become a.
Speaker 2: Battle over facial hair huh.
Speaker 1: Or new study suggests to have found why t Rex evolved to have smaller arms.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I think why the t Rex arms? Think? My son told me about that. The other day.
Speaker 4: I saw Katie Porter grew a handle bar mustache. So is that what that's all about?
Speaker 1: H Yes, it is, it is, and it's it's waxed, it's curled at the ends. It's surprisingly alluring.
Speaker 2: Yes, wider vibes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I made reference to this last hour. Phoenix built an empire of cubical jobs, and AI is tearing it down. The number of jobs lost and cubical jobs. They're talking like customer service, data entry, payroll processing, that sort of thing. I've done that, yeah, which, as the journal points out, created a vital ladder to the middle class, which helped replace factory work which we exported during the China's going to be our buddy if we just enriched them idiotic period of our lives. But offshoring has been chipping away at back office jobs for decades. But around sixteen and a half million Americans still work in that sort of job. But that's down a million and a half in the last five years or so, and the number of customer service representatives in Metro Phoenix alone has tumbled twenty six percent in the most recent four year span that the Department of Labor measured. Those jobs are going away in a big hurry to AI systems and some additional offshoring.
Speaker 4: So you lose those jobs, and then you got all that office space that will be empty, which is its own disruptor.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've been to Phoenix plenty, my dad lives in that area, but it hadn't dawned on me that many of those sprawling, you know, three four story office campuses, that's what was happening there. Phoenix, because it had relatively inexpensive labor and relatively inexpensive real estate, became like the nation center of that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But now it's getting hit hard.
Speaker 4: How about all those empty giant buildings where people were in there doing that entry of some sort that's something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, indoor pickleball courts clearly and as usual as you are the only commentator in America asking this question. Okay, all those jobs have been lost to AI, when does the universal high income kick it right?
Speaker 2: How those people get like back pay? Or when does this switch get flipped?
Speaker 4: What's the total amount of people that have lost jobs to AI? Is it over a million yet? Ten thousand here, twenty thousand there, thousand there. We've We've heard a lot of these. But at what point do you start compensating for this?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Nobody's said right meta.
Speaker 1: For instance, Mark Zuckerberg's outfit has laid off tens of thousands of people in recent months for AI driven reasons, and they make a a heiny load of money. So when is the redistribution going to start? Elon, I would like to know that. Totally different topic. Europe is starting to think Putin will expand the war beyond Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Wow, Russia, and he's losing the in Ukraine. Why would he expand it like as a distraction?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he had a rally the country and I can't imagine how it would work. But Russia's been making increasingly belakost statements against the Baltic states, you're Latvia and Lithuania and Estonia. It has threatened to bomb decision making centers in Latvia after accusing the country of hosting Ukrainian drone operators, which the Latvian authorities deny. Air raid alarms were sounded in Lithuania last week, forcing the government into a bunker after suspected Russian drones approached its airspace from Belarus, and the Russian Ministry of Defense has published the addresses of companies allegedly working on drone production with Ukraine in eight different European countries, warning of quote unpredictable consequences and sharp escalation if military assistance to Kiev does not cease.
Speaker 4: If Russia went into Lithuania, Latvia, one of those countries. We're bogged down in Iran. We're not gonna like spend a lot of time. Hey, Europe, you're worried about to do something yourself. The whole Article five NATO thing, I think just gets ignored more.
Speaker 1: Or less, well, especially now under Trump. The other headline is that the Pentagon is cutting forces earmarked for Europe in the event of a crisis. We had a plan, we will immediately send x number of troops to Europe. The Pentagon is substantially scaling back to forces and plans to send to Europe in a crisis. A fresh step by the Trump administration to shrink its military support for NATO. A Defense Department official notified NATO allies of the plan cutbacks in a closed more door meeting last week in Brussels. Current and former officials who have been briefed on the meeting said the Trump administration aims to reduce by one third to one half the pool of various military capabilities it would devote to NATO in a conflict, including US commitments of strategic bombers and other long range strike forces, some naval assets, and air to air refueling tankers. And it comes ahead of that move comes ahead of the meeting of NATO leaders in Turkey in July, where Trump is expected to attend the meeting and press other allied leaders to shoulder more of the burden on Europe's defense, which has needed to happen for a very very long time. If a guy's going to take a look at both sides of this issue, Trump is not wrong on this. Things feel a little touchy to me right now to go to hardcore down that road.
Speaker 2: But people can differ.
Speaker 4: If you're willing to explain why t rexes have tiny arms. I've got a really entertaining hate text for us.
Speaker 2: Oh good, excellent.
Speaker 1: So a new study claims to have sawt the long standing mystery why t rexes have such disproportionately small arms, which have given people like me an excellent metaphor for somebody who never picks up the check or disappears when it's time for everybody to kick in. Oh they got t rex items. They can't quit reach the bill. Oh no they can't. They can't even get through the wallet. That's too bid. Yeah, I'll name names too, anyway. A Royal Society research paper published and may suggest that the t rex, which averaged more than forty feet long with arms stretching just three feet, naturally evolved smaller arms as this skull grew larger. They looked at eighty five dinosaur species and found a consistent correlation among five groups that I won't bother mentioning because I'll mispronounce half of them, each showing a pattern of larger skulls and shorter four limbs and over time that increased, you know, proportionally more and more as the dinosaurs evolve over a million in the years. The idea being, once your head and jaws got as big and powerful as they were, that's how you're gonna engage your prey. You're not gonna bother wrestling with them or trying to claw at them, right, You're just gonna awe chomp on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If you've ever seen a good t rex skeleton or a model or whatever, their heads are ginormous. My son who's super into dinosaurs and evolution and wants to study that for his life. I think it was shown me a video where they took chickens and they put some sort of a weighted tail on them that would be similar to a t rex, and they think that shows you what a t rex would have walked like. Since a t rex and a chicken are very similar, they just have a heavy innovative so that's kind of the way that would have walked.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that t rex was delicious one fry.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's our hate text.
Speaker 4: It's actually I think a voicemail, So maybe we'll have to get the audio because i'd kind of like to hear what this person sounds like because it came out through voice, but I've got the print version. Yeah, I just didn't want to waste my time on interrupting your ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous show. But I didn't want to leave a message and say I listened to talk radio ninety percent of the time in my car, and I just don't have any idea on earth. How you two knuckleheads got a radio show. It is absolutely just beyond me and some of the greatest radio hosts I've listened to over the years.
Speaker 2: How you two yo yo's ever got a radio show?
Speaker 4: So you must have contacts with an owner of a station or related to somebody, because you absolutely are the most nonsensical people ever I have ever heard on a radio show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donald Trump is my uncle. H oh my god, oh jeez. Uh, there's so many options out there. I don't know why you wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Just I know.
Speaker 1: I've never understood people who take in entertainment that they don't like and then decide to explain to the musician or artist or a talk show host why I don't like you.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, dear paramount.
Speaker 4: I've been watching this series on Netflix every night, and I just hate it. Well, there's a million there's way too much romance and it's too much talking.
Speaker 2: I prefer more action pack sequences. What is the matter?
Speaker 1: I can't imagine how you even became a movie studio.
Speaker 2: You knuckleheads must know somebody. I wish we had that it.
Speaker 4: We got a lot more on the way, including Sarah isg're about the Supreme Court. Gonna be good stuff.
Speaker 2: Stay here.
Speaker 4: I've talked up AI quite a bit for like advice with various things, all kinds of things. Had a problem my son's truck wouldn't start the other day, like why is it not starting? I gave it the specifics on a you know, the year model and everything like that. Man, it nailed it narrowed down to such a specific things. It's incredible. But on like personal relationships like that as therapy and so, I don't know if you all know who Mark Andriesen is. He's a columnist with the Washington Post. I think anyway, he was on Joe Rogan for three hours the other day talking about the benefits of AI, and he was talking up the therapy thing for one. A couple of things caught my eye because there was some stuff bouncing around in our social media world and our Twitter feed about somebody claiming that the trouble with AI is it just it just tells you what you want to hear all the time. I've not had that experience, but you can make sure that you don't have that experience pretty easily. But anyway, let me hit you with a couple of things that Mark Andreesen said that AI can do for you already. You can send AI photos of almost anything medical now and get a real second opinion very quickly. Skin rashes, blood test results, a mole, pictures of your poop. The new models can read images, not just text, and it's a free twenty four to seven second opinion on basically anything that's very accurate.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I can stop sending pictures of my poop to my friends and send it to AI instead.
Speaker 4: Or I have an excuse for why I have so many pictures of poop on my phone.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, that makes sense, trust me. Oh my, oh my, oh.
Speaker 4: You mentioned here that the the best AI coders in Silicon Valley are making fifty million dollars a year working for the various AI companies.
Speaker 2: They're so in demand. Each company wants to have the very best. Whooa wow.
Speaker 4: Uh, here's a guy who paid two hundred dollars to get his entire DNA decoded. This usually costs millions of dollars and takes years to do.
Speaker 2: Soon we'll all be getting this done. Uh. People take a picture of his DNA or how does that?
Speaker 4: Somebody put cameras around them for their home jiu jitsu gym, and now AI watches them and gives it's like having a world class coach. You could do it with golf, tennis, all kinds of different things.
Speaker 2: WHOA what I know, I don't know. It didn't it didn't get into that.
Speaker 4: But wow, I'll skip to this one just because we're about out of time, because I thought it was really interesting. The one type of therapy that's clinically proven to actually work in the world is cognitive behavioral therapy CBT. It's also something can fully do on its own, which means every person on earth is about to have access to a real therapist for any time they want. I've had that experience with like family stuff and all kinds of stuff. But he suggests if you tell the AI to steal man the other side of this, like whatever it tells you to do to make your argument for the other side, you'll get a good presentation of both sides and you can go from there. And I have done that, and it's amazing. It's like watching two really smart people in a debate about your topic and you can you know, if you have any level of intelligence, I think, come away with it what you think is the best course, as opposed to it telling you everything you want to hear.
Speaker 1: A more nuanced and confident view of why you believe what you believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I asked a question about a weather phenomenon the other day and the answer was just fascinating.
Speaker 4: It was absolutely fabulous. I think by taking a college class. I think the first time I ever heard the term Steelman to straw Man was from Sarah Isger on one of her podcasts, and we're going to talk to her coming up next about her book she's got out about the Supreme Court. It's really good.
Speaker 1: She has such a gift for making this stuff understandable.
Speaker 2: Just terrific.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a question I've been wanting to ask her for a very long time. Man, if you miss it, gets the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 5: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: We've been wanting to get Sarah igor on for a long time. First became Wherever on the Dispatch and the podcast stuff there man. Anytime any big legal story breaks, I go to her twitter feed or wait for the podcast she does with David French Advisory Opinions to get it laid out. And couldn't be happier to have her today.
Speaker 1: Yep, we're both big fans of Sarah Isger, editor of Scotis Blog, hosted the legal podcast in Firesorry Opinions, Legal analyst for ABC News and author of a fabulous new book, Last Branch Standing, a potentially surprising, occasionally witty journey inside today's Supreme Court. A book so timely and important I believe it should be a compulsory read for every American. Not sure how that scores with the first time. Sarah, Welcome, How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm great? Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 4: You bet you before we let you lay out the book. And here's the deal I'm gonna make with you. Even though we have no leverage. You're like the horror moves straight. We have no leverage over you, but I let you and I'll go out and buy a hard bound copy of your book today, even though I'm getting a promotional copy. If I can get you to do one of your screeds, and there's so many, I would like the screed might be prejudicial. Maybe I'll go with presentation or something like that. But and I could have you do why the whole crying fire in a crowded movie house is misrepresented?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many of them. I for of you do that.
Speaker 4: I love her greatest hits. Why there are no parties anymore? And it's a waste of time. I want to have you lay out the pointlessness of issue polling after the book, because I want you to do that for our audience.
Speaker 2: I really do. Excellent, No problem, it's done.
Speaker 5: I mean, you don't have to go to me into doing a rant. I love a rant.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: All right, First things first, though, tell us about Last Standing.
Speaker 5: Well, part of the reason for this book is to convince Americans that, yes, they're hearing so much more about the Supreme Court and that it is actually our most functional branch of government. But it is never the last word in any of these fights that we're having on politics, on culture, war, anything else. It is always up to the American people. If you don't like something the Supreme Court decided, we can amend the Constitution. We used to do it pretty frequently in response to Supreme Court decisions, and most of the decisions from the Supreme Court are actually just up to Congress. If you don't like partisan jerrymandering, Congress can deal with that. Today, we just don't expect them to. We don't make them, and we continue to vote for people who have no interest in actually legislating, because legislation requires compromise, negotiation, actually working with someone who disagrees with you. And it said, we keep electing people who are really good at putting out Instagram res bills yelling about how the other side is the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've listened to you so much.
Speaker 4: I actually know what your answers are going to be to all my questions, but I'll ask them anyway. What you have us talker? Well, I am, I'm a fanboy, wound boy. What changed? Why you know, if we used to amend the Constitution all the time.
Speaker 2: What changed?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean a few things. We can go back one hundred years to the progressive era, Woodrow Wilson, Teddy Roosevelt. They really wanted to remake the United States government and move away from Congress again that messy, long negotiating process, and they wanted it all to be housed by experts and independent agencies. It would be shielded from political influence. So we've been doing that experiment for about one hundred years. And then during the second term of the Obama administration, when his immigration legislation failed in the House because Republicans wouldn't vote for it, he decided to do executive orders to implement legislation. Now, it didn't last long. Those executive orders were generally struck down by courts or President Trump came in and repealed them all his first day in office. But it taught Congress that they don't need to do legislation anymore because when their party has the White House, they can get everything that they want. And sure it's only for a couple of years, but they get the Rose Garden address. Their base is happy, and nobody remembers a few years later whose fault it is when it all disappears.
Speaker 4: So the whole I have a pen and a phone thing that took presidence, so essentially then tires.
Speaker 5: Under government by executive order.
Speaker 2: At this point, right.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, so Congress is not legislating in the executive branch. Is is that most of the reason there's so much of a spotlight on the Supreme Court these days, or what else is happening.
Speaker 5: I think that's right, you know, because Congress is where we were supposed to work out these problems. Again, you know, I'm thinking of cases that are waiting at the Supreme Court right now, birthright citizenship, asylum at the southern border, or whether Mississippi can accept mail in ballots five days after the election. All of those are questions we're supposed to work out in Congress. But because none of us believe that will happen, we end up bringing lawsuits to court and asking the courts to work those out for us. And so then we focus a lot more on the courts. It becomes really important who these judges are, and they become part of our partisan disagreements instead of sort of the place of last resort to sort of, you know, be a referee.
Speaker 4: And we've seen the declining popularity numbers for the Supreme Court because of this, putting them in an impossible situation on a bunch of this stuff. A reply to this, this is an out of control right wing Trump court.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the data isn't great for people who argue that. So last term for six three cases, you know, where all of the Republican appointees vote one way and all of the Democratic appointees vote the other way, which is what you would expect if this were a you know, Republican Red team versus lou team court. That accounted for drum roll, nine percent of the cases. So if that's how you're predicting the outcome of Supreme Court cases, you're going to get it wrong more than ninety percent of the time. And even if you include the five four cases, it turns out exactly equal numbers had all of the liberals in descent versus having all the liberals in the majority and only conservatives in descent. Instead, you know, forty two percent of the cases are unanimous. That's the most likely outcome of any case of the Supreme Court. Very few, as I say, fall against partisan lines. The other things we'd expect at this were a you know, Trump Supreme Court, Well, first of all, I guess we'd expect Trump to actually win some cases. Right now, every major policy question that has come before the Supreme Court. He has lost Immigration, Alien Enemies Act nope. Federalizing the National Guard nopeteris nope, birthright citizenship. I will bet you a shiny nickel that one's a hard no. So he keeps losing. In fact, in his first term he lost more than any president in United States history. He's the first president to ever be below fifty percent. At the Supreme Court, we'd expect them to be overturning president, Nope, This court is overturning fewer precedents than any court in modern history. We'd expect them to be taking more cases. Nope, this court is taking fewer cases than any court in recent history. So, no matter what way you look at it, the data just isn't there. For the people who want to argue that this is a partisan court.
Speaker 1: Well, let's be honest about what animates virtually all of modern politics. You just raised zero dollars for the Democratic Party, Sarah, So thanks for wasting our time. You noted and I found this so interesting that Brett Kavanaugh was more likely to agree with Elena Kagan than Neil Gorsich.
Speaker 2: What's going on there?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So, I mean britchkavn on Neil Gorsich are basically twins. They went to high school together, they had the same history teacher. They clerked on the court together. They were circuit judges at the same time. They were appointed by this same president. They are federalist society lab creations with good hair and conservative judicial principles. But last term they only agree with each other fifty percent of the time. As you say, Justice Kavanaugh was more likely to agree with Justice Kagan than he was with Justice Gorsich because Justice Kavanaugh is a high institutionalist. He thinks of this as a team sport. He likes basketball and baseball. Justice Gorsicic, He's a soloist. He likes skiing and running solo sports. He is more like Justice Jackson, which is why you see them agreeing with each other's concurrences and why Justice Kavanaugh is the justice most likely to be in the majority. He is the swing justice as of now.
Speaker 4: Sarah Isger's book is called Last Branch Standing. In the first sentence in the promotional stuff, is here a myth busting glimpse into the inner workings of the Supreme Court. And you've already busted a few myths?
Speaker 2: What? How?
Speaker 4: How worried are you about the declining faith in the Supreme Court because of the untrue partisan things people have been saying on both sides now for several cycles.
Speaker 5: Well, let me give you the good news and the bad news. The good news is that the Supreme Court is still more popular than the President or Congress. So if we're just fighting among the three branches of government, definitely the Supreme Court is winning. The bad news is that our courts tend to be a lagging indicator of our politics. So another title for the book could have been last branch standing dot dot dot for now, because everything that we're doing now will eventually be reflected in the courts, and there are warning signs. Getting rid of the filibuster means that we now appoint judges who didn't get any votes from the other side of the aisle.
Speaker 2: That is not great.
Speaker 5: That is going to read more extreme judges who are outliers, and it's going to change the behavior of people who want to become judges to be more partisan, more outspoken, lock themselves into certain positions. We have forum shopping now that we didn't used to have. That's not great. You know, you could be the most fair judge in the world. But if everyone knows that one side picked you, it doesn't look that fair to anyone. So, you know, I think those are things we can pretty easily fix, but it's not great. And the more we pull the courts into our partisan politics, negative polarization. I mean, we have a really toxic political environment right now. We cannot have the courts reflect that.
Speaker 1: Let's go a little ABC one two three about the Supreme Court kind of basic stuff. I think a lot of folks, particularly on the left, think it's about choosing the right result, period, and a lot of us on the right would like to believe that the court does nothing but look at the Constitution and the law and precedent, and they may despise the result. But we've got to go with with this is that's oversimplified obviously, But is that characterization of the left and right, at least on the right track.
Speaker 5: You know, I think I think the conservative right wanted to think that about themselves, but it's pretty clear now that that's not true. Both sides only care about outcomes. Really. You see the right attack the Supreme Court every time they rule against Donald Trump, sometimes specific justices and very personal terms. You know, the attacks against Justice amy Cony Barrett got very gendery in my opinion, and I think that there's a natural human tendency to care about the outcome. I get it. But the Supreme Court's job is never to say, you know what the good policy is. It is to say who gets to decide? So you're mad that the book is in your local school library, the Supreme Court isn't going to tell you whether that's a good book or a bad book for kindergarteners to read. Their question is who get to decide whether that's a good book or a bad book? Is it the librarian, is it the parent coming into the library. Is it the you know, city mayor? Is it a state legislation? Is it the governor? Is it Congress? Those are the questions that the Supreme Court decides. They're never deciding which book it should be?
Speaker 1: Right, I meant the justice is more than the average commentator or voter. For instance, Justice Jackson strikes me as just wanting the result, no matter how she has to twist the law.
Speaker 5: Well, what's interesting because the legal left for a long time sort of had this idea of living constitutionalism. The constitution evolves as our culture evolves. And it is up to the nine justices on the Supreme Court to decide where it has evolved to President Lyndon Johnson famously once said it takes two thirds of Congress and three quarters of the States to amend the Constitution. Justice Douglas can do it in an afternoon. That was really where they were. That had basically disappeared from the legal left, and yet nothing has yet replaced it. And so I think you see Justice Jackson trying to come up with a new legal fullhilosophy for the legal left that yes, will produce liberal results, but they can be sort of intellectually, you know, built a new house, if you will, on the block of judicial philosophy. And look, like I said, nine percent of the cases were six three along ideological lines. So I also think it's unfair to say ideology plays no role in Supreme Court decisions nine percent of the time. It does. It's just that ninety one percent of the time something else is at work.
Speaker 4: So the book is last branch standing. Couldn't recommend it more highly. I've heard Sarah talk about it in a bunch of different podcasts, and I'm sure I will eventually read it. She explains this stuff in a way that idiots like me can understand it in an entertaining way. So you have worked on presidential campaigns. You worked for Carly Fiorina. We used to have her on regularly back in the day when she was running. But anyway, I know, with your background and a bunch of different areas, you don't think issue polling has much merit.
Speaker 2: Explain that.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, deep breast, Sarah, don't go too far.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's too far.
Speaker 5: Here's the problem. When we do candidate polling, we can actually judge whether the poll is any good because we have an election day, right, there is a backstop to the polling. We never can do that with issue polling. We can never find out whether that poll was a good poll or a bad pole. There's no way to grade it. So that's a big problem, right. But there's another problem. When you ask people what candidates they intend to vote for, that's a very binary choice. They understand what an election is and that they're going to go in and check the box for one person or the other. And remember, those poles still aren't perfect when it comes to issue polling. Oftentimes, the question you're asking people is it the question they think they're answering. You know, do you think the straits of horror moves should be open or whatever? Well kind of depends what are the trade offs? Are you going to list all of the potential trade offs in that question? You've only got like thirty seconds to ask them a question and get them to answer it. And that's why you get so many different results with issue polling. It's also the case that sometimes people hear a question that can be about a very specific issue, but what they're answering, what they think they you really want to know is who do you support for president? So you know, do you like ex policy or why policy? The answer is do you like Donald Trump or Kamala Harris? And so you're rarely getting the answer that I think you want. If you're asking the same question, the exact same question over time, and that moves that is interesting to me, right, like not the raw number, but like, oh it is moved by seven points in the last month. Well, something that has changed if you're asking the exact same question. But that's rarely what we're doing.
Speaker 4: Do you regularly hear because in talk radio we do it all the time. Forty three percent of Americans, blah blah blah. Do you regularly slap your forehead with Oh my god, there's no way there's any accuracy there.
Speaker 5: I sort of turned into like a rain Man type figure where I start saying that that's not a real pull. That's not a real pull. Don't do it, that's not a real pull.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: Sarah Isger's new book is Last Branch Standing. Can't wait to read it to Sarah. What a pleasure has been. I hope we can do it again soon.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, thanks guys, you all right, thank you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard her go on at lengthd about our issue polling except in extreme situations is almost useless, like it's close to your better off having never heard it than coming away with any information. I have follow up comments as well, Yeah, weld them more on the way, stay here.
Speaker 5: Arm strong and getty.
Speaker 4: My god, Sarah is amazing. I want to kiss her brain, says one Texter among many who enjoyed our interview with Sarah Isger that we just finished up. Please have Sarah on as often as you can. We we definitely will. She's a very busy person. She now her main job now that I know, she's so proud of as editor of Scotus Blog because she is a serious legal mind and I think one of her great talents in it. It's a rare talent is people who are super smart and knowledgeable about any topic, who can see the way other people think about it, not having your level of knowledge. That's what the UI thing is in tech user interface. It's the ability to know, Okay, somebody as sits down with this you know, laptop or gets in this car, what are they going to think? As opposed to someone like you who knows everything, and she can explain stuff so well to idiots like me.
Speaker 2: I really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she senses where her audience is and delivers, you know, on that level, which is great. It's a Senda Furian skill, Tim is, you know, one of the best ever at it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The thing that strikes me that that bothers me so much about modern politics in the Supreme Court is that enthusiasm has always been part of politics. And I've got some great stories about that that we really don't have time for, but about how it was in the old timey days. But enthusiasm these days means rage most of the time. That the surest way to raise people's attention and money, is to convince them that there's a horrible injustice being done and they've got to be really, really angry. And the Supreme Court now with its outsized influence for the reason Sarah was describing, it's become a target of rage in a way that is not helpful. That's not supposed to be their vibe at all.
Speaker 4: Well, if presidents would quit thinking they can fix everything with an executive order, it would help. If you missed our interview with Rai Sarah, get the podcast.
Speaker 5: Please are strong and Getty