Speaker 1: We are so excited about today's guest, our first castmate to join us on the pod. He first captured the hearts of women everywhere as Blackie on General Hospital, before committing to the role that would propel him to superstardom and follow him for the rest of his life Uncle Jesse on Full House. To Jody and me, he's just John, or Mud, as we affectionately call him. His new memoir, If You Would Have Told Me, is an incredibly poignant and heartfelt look inside John's life and legacy. I cried more times than I can count without further ado. The man with the megawat smile and the best head of hair in Hollywood. We love and adore him. John Stamos, Hi, ladies one, Hey, welcome to how Rude Tannertos. Hello, we're so excited.
Speaker 2: Your so excited. First of all, let me say something to you too. I love you both so much. I am so proud of both of you. You've just turned into the kind of people that I hope my son turns into. I just love you both. I'm again. You've done so much great work in the world. You've overcome obstacles. You you you're nice people. Your good mothers and I just love you and that's it. Goodbye, everybody.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us than I love you. That's all you need to know is one compliments at any time. And then disappeared.
Speaker 2: Ye trying to play. Do you remember when we sang to you teddy bear and oh that was Michelle?
Speaker 4: Huh that was Michelle the teddy Bear?
Speaker 2: What did we say?
Speaker 1: Are you playing it right now? Oh, he's got a guitar, all right, play us a ballad.
Speaker 5: And go play uh venus?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, watched that episode.
Speaker 5: We just watched.
Speaker 4: The episode was amazing on the mountain.
Speaker 2: Who sang that? Did you? Andrew?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: You and me I sang it. We were the Bengals. DJ and Kimmy were the Bengals. And the bracelets thet yeah, the bracelets.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you were teaching DJ how to play guitar horribly, by the way, or she was not you.
Speaker 2: I've listened to a few of these, and the first one, you guys claim that you never watched the show. You guys watched the show. I never watched watched No.
Speaker 5: I mean I had seen the pilot.
Speaker 3: I had seen like bits and pieces of clips or whatever, but I never watched it when it was on TV. I didn't tune into like TGIF or anything. I'm sure my parents did, but I was like, it's fine.
Speaker 2: All the other rest of the years, you just never your kids. Did your girls watch it? They did not?
Speaker 5: Really not mad. They didn't. Yeah, they were like whatever. They weren't really that impressed.
Speaker 4: They're not a pressed with their parents.
Speaker 2: You're You're like, oh god, Billy watches it, but only to get stuff to mock me. Like that's yeah, Like, Billy, go clean up the toys you get.
Speaker 4: Indeed, right, he does that hysterical.
Speaker 2: He said the other day, he goes. He goes, uh. It was after Halloween and he had a whole drawer full of candy and he's like, Dad, yes, you know my candy drawer. Yeah, because I'm gonna eat all the candy. I said, no, you're not. He goes, yes, I am. I go, uh, why because I have a secret. We don't keep secrets in this house. We don't have secrets. He goes, Okay, but I have a secret. I'm like, what is it? I saw you kissing another girl and I'm gonna tell mom. I go, was it aunt Becky? He goes, yes, I said you're grounded, get in your room. And it wasn't a kiss. It wasn't a real kiss. He goes, No, you guys were kissing. He's rugging me on it. He said, you I saw your lips. How could it be not a real kiss?
Speaker 5: That's true. I mean that's very hard explaining that to a kid. They're like, I saw it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How is this podcast going great? I mean, there should be a full house podcast for years I've been saying it, and you guys did it. Dave has his Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 4: Everywhere you look, there's a there's a new full house pod.
Speaker 5: That's true. Everywhere you look.
Speaker 3: We've had a really good time finding weird random things in the set that we do remember with strange props.
Speaker 5: Okay, things like that.
Speaker 3: We have a whole everywhere you Look segment where we pick up on random little things in the in the background, a.
Speaker 4: K in the alcove. Yes, yes, we've talked about that.
Speaker 1: How you have stolen the couch and read the red front door? What else are you holding out on us that we don't know.
Speaker 2: That you Today I'm going to I'm going to reveal that I have one of the Alsen twins in my garage. I can't tell which one, but right, she's got a lot of money.
Speaker 4: And she can design clothes for you.
Speaker 2: Right, let's get into it. You remember, I know you guys read the book, and I appreciate that. And I went back to Andrew's book and listen into it. I told you, Andrew a couple of weeks ago, and I guess one that came out you sent me one. I kind of grazed it and I looked in. But listening to it this time, I was really I really felt for you. It was really beautiful writing, and you were very you know, forthcoming with issues that I didn't even know you had, and you know, we sort of all lost touch for a few crazy years there. But it was really beautiful. And and Jody, I know you've written about eighteen books, and.
Speaker 5: No I haven't. I've only written just the one, just the one.
Speaker 2: But it was did you narrate it or Britney Spears who did the audio of it?
Speaker 3: I actually never did an audiobook of it, I don't think because if this was like it came out in nine, I mean it was, it came out a long time ago, so it was kind of in the era of like I don't know that we were doing like as many of the audible books and stuff.
Speaker 2: But I found that really the hardest part.
Speaker 4: Did you, Andrew, what was the hardest part for you.
Speaker 2: Doing the audio? Well? Doing the audio really, I mean.
Speaker 4: It was I was saying what part of the book was the hardest for you? To write?
Speaker 2: All of it, I'll tell you that about that, But the audio I thought was going to be so like I was really looking forward to it because I listened to audio books all the time, and it was hard. It took me, Like, I said, how long would it take? And they said, well, you'll have five or six days. I took like thirty two days or something, because you're cold reading your life, you know, for the first time, right right, yeah, And I did this and I you know, I rewrote.
Speaker 3: And then you're like, did I I don't want to I take all this back? Never mind, just kidding, Right, how did you get me and YouTube?
Speaker 2: Jody? Like, wasn't it? It's so I started out to write like a hero book, like I did this, and I did that, you know, and then it automatically, you know, very soon became a human story and I had to really dig deep to when I started to tell the absolute truth about stuff, and I stumble upon this line without anything less than the truth is paralysis, and so I was like, oh crap, now I got to go by that and it was just uh, cathartic, yes, but it was it was hard, right, I mean, what did you guys feel when you had to write all that?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'll never forget going.
Speaker 3: Like after I'd written the book and then going and starting my press tour and I was.
Speaker 5: Doing the Today Show.
Speaker 3: Uh, and I had this moment and my first interview was the Today Show. I think it was Matt Lower. That tells you how long that that was, but it was.
Speaker 2: He's a beacon of you know, good solid.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but uh, it was I remember thinking the night before I was like, what have I done that?
Speaker 5: I oh, no, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And then it was But then there was a sense also a sense of freedom once you kind of step off that ledge and just tell the truth and tell your story and tell all of your you know, faults and everything that you think is so scary, and you find that people respond to it really wonderfully and positively and supportively, and then you're like, oh, oh, actually, like that was terrifying at first, but it was very freeing and very yeah, like you said, cathartic.
Speaker 1: It was like therapy for me to write some of these innermost feelings that I hadn't really unpacked ever in my life. That's what I was forced to by writing these deep chapters where you're writing about your difficult times, the times when you've struggled.
Speaker 4: I mean, these are really personal moments, and so that's.
Speaker 1: It's cathartic, it's therapeutic and like Jody said, terrifying, you know, the night before it's released into the public.
Speaker 2: And then you but then then it goes from that to terrifying to like everybody's known your business and they're saying, oh, my god, you're so brave and brave, and then it goes to my god, you helped me. I had the same issue I haven't you know. And there's a couple of things that I a lot of. They asked me to write a book a couple of times over the years. I was like, no, no, no, no, I don't I can't write how. I didn't even know. I couldn't even know, like where do I where am I even start? I know nothing about writing a book. I could rewrite stuff. You you guys have been.
Speaker 4: There for that, but many many scenes, I can't.
Speaker 2: I never wrote anything, so I kept saying no, and then I thought, oh, the only thing anyone wants to hear is you know who I slept with, and I'm not going to talk about that, which is only about four people. And sure, And so then I became a dad and I sobered up. And then Bob died and they read the obituary thing that I did in the La Times said you're a good writer. I'm like, I don't even remember writing that.
Speaker 3: And then I said, well, it's usually the best writing is when you go back and you read it and.
Speaker 5: You're like, I don't I wrote that. Yeah, Wow, that's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then I thought, right, yeah. And then I thought, I have all these letters from my mom, and I know you guys do too, and you probably seen my mom's notes and stuff. So I thought, okay, that makes sense. I called my sisters. I got all of them, I sort of line them up. I said, okay, here's a road map, and I and I put the all the letters in here as you can see it, of my mom's and they I put the actual you know her writing and everything.
Speaker 4: I loved that part of Yeah, it was so special. It's such a great window into Loretta's love for you.
Speaker 2: And you got let me, let me read this one. It's nice, it says, dear son, don't release your memoir the same day as Britney spears. Come on, Yeah, you guys, you know yeah, well you guys. You knew my mom and my dad, and I knew your parents, and Andrea, you know we missed your mom. Did you ever talk about that? She was she?
Speaker 4: I just told that story, just told that story.
Speaker 2: Of your birthday.
Speaker 4: Beautiful text you sent me.
Speaker 1: I actually read the text and teared up because I've saved it. You sent it to me like three years ago, just a few months after my mom passed, and it was it was the day of your ma, of Loretta's birthday, and Billie was asking everyone, you know, when's your birthday?
Speaker 4: When's your birthday?
Speaker 1: It reminded you of my mom, and you sent me this beautiful text, and I cried, and I've saved it because I just want to read it forever. It was so special and loving and what a beautiful gift that. And you do this all the time too. You you you're like that, You'll just send random text out of the blue saying I'm thinking of you and I love you, and that's it's very much like Bob.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I think I got that from him. He never left anything on the table, and that's you know, you guys know, it's it's really his legacy that we have to continue, which is like, just tell everybody that you love him, you care about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and tell them that you're busy, tell them that you're very busy while telling Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Talk about him in almost every interview because if I don't, it'll weather it gets really bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he'll want you.
Speaker 3: I have a picture of him hanging over my desk up here. That was an actual little painting that somebody did. So he's just always he's just always up here. So I make sure and make inappropriate jokes just so.
Speaker 2: That he what do you think people want to know? I mean, this is so cool that we're all talking together. We as you guys have probably talked about and people are listening, know that we've we've stayed very close over the years. Although now Bob was was the guy who kept us all together.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, he was the patriarch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was a nag too. He would call.
Speaker 3: You, well, you couldn't tell him no because you knew he wasn't going to give it up and you weren't. That wasn't the end of it, you know what I mean, Like, no, I gotta be like you'd hear the guilt and the thing and you know.
Speaker 2: The two hardest chapters. Oh go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Andrea, Well, I might be talking about what you're about to talk about, which is the last chapter of your book, which details the day that you found out Bob passed and then the immediate aftermath the weeks following that. And I had never I know, I've never talked to you guys about that day and how we found out when Bob passed. And so that was really cathartic for me just to read those emotions and revisit those feelings.
Speaker 4: Learnt, Like what what I didn't know how you found out?
Speaker 1: How you were driving Billy around he was napping and then you pulled over and like just fell to your knees in the parking lot.
Speaker 2: I got a call a few weeks before from my publicist on the weekend, and he was like he called and Caitlyn answered, he couldn't get me. I was asleep, and Kitlyn answered, he called Kaitlyn and she said, and he said it's John okay, And I was like, yeah, why he's sleepy? You want me to wake him up? And he's like, no, no, no, no. Uh. I just got a call from TMZ and they said, sources said that John went down in a plane crash near San Diego, private plane. And clearly their sources were wrong, because.
Speaker 4: You know, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Two weeks later, Matt gets the same call about something about Bob. So he calls, calls me and I and I pulled over because yeah, Billy was I was driving him around to fall asleep in the back, and I pulled over in the commons over here. I talked to him and said, is Bobo Camick? What do you mean it is Boboka? I don't know. So well, have you talked to him today? I said, no, he's on the road. I'm sure he's fine. He played some show last night. Okay, Well, just why Matt? Why?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: I got a call sources say, I go, so your sources can kiss my ass, because last week they had me dying him. Two weeks ago, I said, he said, okay, okay. So I called Bob, didn't answer, texted him a couple of times, didn't answer. Called Kelly, didn't answer. Then I get a text from Candice saying that she got a DM from somebody in Florida saying, Hey, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but that Bob died and my sister's a cop on the scene. And Candas was like, you better not be kidding. She I'll send you the police report. So I'm reading this thinking, oh no, this is too many, you know, Matt and YZ. So then I called Candace and she explained it to me. As I'm talking to Candace, Kelly calls me and she's just wailing and I just hit the asphalt with my knees. I'm like, no, no, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what a gut punch.
Speaker 2: At this beginning of this episode is just like the colonoscopy and and mammogram, uh start from.
Speaker 1: That's the one. I think, Yes, hey, we talk about everything on this show.
Speaker 4: Nothing.
Speaker 3: It's HRC, which is also hormone replacement therapy. That's the acronym of the podcast. That's our target audience, that's our target audience.
Speaker 2: So that was the I thought that was gonna be the hardest chapter of the Bob And then the first chapter when I got a dui and it was this horrific, you know, my lowest point in life, and I was going to meet Bob at the poem. I thought those two the two hardest were the Full House chapters. Really, yeah, because.
Speaker 1: Was it hard to remember or hard to talk about those times? Or why was it difficult?
Speaker 2: Because I know how important the show was to so many people. I didn't know why. And Jeff was over here a couple of weeks ago and he said, he said, when did you come He's writing a book to Jeff Franklin. He said, when did you come to terms with the Full House? I said, when I wrote this, when I actually sat down pended paper computer, because I've always you know, my feeling of it. It was double edged sword and you guys probably had some of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very very similar where you're like, I love this and it gave me sort of the career that I had, but also at the same time, like I can do other things too, you know, but it's such a special place in people's heart.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I wanted to do it justice, and so I didn't I get it was the last two chapters I wrote. I just kept writing, Bob. And you know, it's eight years too, as you guys know, and there's a lot of people, a lot of things involved. So I started off with the reading of the pilot and it was at the it was at the Century Plaza Hotel, and I talked about I was, you know, I was on General Hospital and worked and I was the big star of the thing. And and you know when when it was pitched to me, Look, I always wanted to be on a Gary Marshall type show. You and Gary actually helped me get the get the job. And he also told me get a catchphrase. Everybody. Yeah, yeah, you guys know it's the name of your podcasts. Thanks and and and Billy. Now he's he's he's asking me about catch phrase. He wanted to know everyone's catchphrase and what did DJ have one? He said, oh, my lant. He goes, what's that? But he his deal is he just puts baby at the end of it. I'm going to the bathroom, baby, So picking my nose, baby.
Speaker 4: The apple doesn't fall f Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: I wonder where he gets that his humor is closer to Bob's then to mine. Wow, sehrty and funny. So uh, I thought I was going to be on this show. So they told me because it was Millan Braad show, Oh this is going to be like Buzz and Buddies, but there's three of you and no cross dressing until maybe season two or three. And the kids are like, you know, kids are back here. You know, Okay, buzz and Budies. That sounds fun of comic a musician, right, And then they were doing a lot of work on the casting of the of you girls, and I was like, well, just putting a lot of effort into the kids that are going to be in the background. But you know, so I walk into the reading like the like, I think I'm the big shot, you know, and your your moms knew me from General Hospital.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah it's Blacky. It's Blacky.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, can this is mom and sisters? I think? And I walk in and so we start the reading and I wrote it all pretty cool, did you see? Like I actually put the script in the in the book, right, And I sit down and I get these big applause and everybody, and then we start and you you mainly Jody blew the roof off the place, and every joke that you got, I slipped a little further in my seat like this, and they were laughing so frigging hard they couldn't even hear my lines. And I'm like, oh my god. And I remember running out to the lobby and I had a quarter and I jammed it into the phone and I called my managers, like, get me the f off this show. It's ropper room.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 3: It's so funny too, because I remember when you first told that story.
Speaker 5: I was like, really I intimidated John.
Speaker 4: At age five age still.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just that story to me, like was so funny because it was I was like, wow, I had you know, It's just funny to hear the things that I don't really remember. I sort of vaguely remember the you know, the the table read, but like hearing it from the adults around us, what their perspective was, like hearing it from you and Dave and Jeff and you know, all these bob and what their experience was.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Howl did that feeling last of you wanting to get the f off of Full House?
Speaker 4: As you result that.
Speaker 5: Eight and a half seasons.
Speaker 2: Actually, well, that's a good question. I mean, first of all, it was so I started to but I started to get into it obviously, and I knew that you guys were your kids were, you know, we're going to be huge stars on there. And instead of being like a dad on Webster or something, I said, I got to get in the middle of this, and you know, I nurtured that Michelle Jesse relationship, which just which pissed Bob off even more. This first chapter of the full House stuff is called your Baby's a Pig, which was.
Speaker 3: Which is one of the lines that we were like, wow, Jesse's calling children bigs.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, And I was so worried that you know, we're going to steal show what you did. But that line was the highest testing line of the whole pilot. So there.
Speaker 4: Where credit is due.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And Bob and I, you know, we just didn't like each other for for a good long time, as you guys probably remember. And it wasn't that I didn't think he was talented or funny. I mean I thought he was a genius. I just wouldn't tell him, you know, until years later, right, And he you know. He his process was very different than mine, as you guys remember, And I came from working with Jack Klugman on the show right before and where we'd break it apart every scene and we'd talk it out, and Bob just wanted to take a fork and stab his penis with it and say, I hate my penis, you know right, I could just.
Speaker 5: Be an idiot.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, right, yeah Jones, yeah yeah yeah, unfurling your inside. I mean, it was just and people are like, what is wrong with you guys? You're like, I couldn't explain it to you if I tried, and I don't know why, but it will always be funny to us.
Speaker 4: It's just Bob. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you guys missed, so you wouldn't. So we'd have notes at the end of the like a couple of days or whatever, and you guys missed those those days. I should show you know. I was thinking the.
Speaker 4: Kids didn't get to go to the notes.
Speaker 5: Thank god, though.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine imagine notes, because think about notes when we did Fuller, I would just be drawing Boobs on canvas's script.
Speaker 5: I was I was being Bob basically.
Speaker 2: I was just it was it was terrible, and I have some video of it. You know, I know you guys don't do.
Speaker 5: This great documentary and that I know we should show.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that. I'll show some stuff that you guys maybe have never seen before, and you can use it or however you want to do it to make this a special episode.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 2: So, Bob was was that? And and you got in trouble a lot from your mother's you know, it's like upstairs, yep. But it was all loving and he was pretty good around you guys most of the time, although it was you have stories. What was the what? What was the What's one of the things that really stuck out to you girls that you didn't know was going on that you found out later from the adults.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 2: Remember when Dave used to get massages. Before I was going to.
Speaker 5: Say I was going to say, I was like, do I say this? Do I not?
Speaker 4: My brain is there was there too, It was like do we mention it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean, well, I mean here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't think we probably knew how much like dating, debauchery, et cetera, was going on with you guys outside, you know, either with anybody on the crew, or the cast or but you know, we were sort of oblivious to all of that stuff, creating some of the stories that we heard.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I mean, I don't know, like there was anybody hooking up with each other or.
Speaker 4: Whatever gens were or not.
Speaker 5: Amongst our cast.
Speaker 3: I'm saying like, I don't know, I feel like I've heard stories of like, you know, certain like somebody that went out with a stand in or thought they were cute or that, I don't know, stuff like that that you hear about and you're like, oh my god, Dave.
Speaker 2: You know, we would get massages before the right show. I wanted to really be relaxed, and so and we had this husband and wife team and husband I think usually would do Dave in the way and then they were out of town and so somehow somebody got this big blonde Swedish me souse to come in instead of them and for Dave. And do you remember, I mean, I don't know if you guys remember, but you know, showtime and Dave's still up in his dressing room.
Speaker 5: That's right, Dave was in and we're like.
Speaker 2: Like banging on the day of day they spt me for intros.
Speaker 4: What's that time for introsday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and he was up there with the messeuse. I don't know what happened in there, but I did. Over here. Uh, I was listening to the doors, like can I touch it? I don't know what she wanted to touch, but it was I heard that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was, yeah, that was I didn't remember that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I didn't learn that until thirty years later.
Speaker 2: Tell right, now, do you guys remember that I got a death threat? I do.
Speaker 4: I remember that.
Speaker 1: So you were getting death threats that I was probably by letters in the nineties. It was not like, oh yeah the creative you were getting death threats. So when they brought the audience in on that Friday night, like they set up metal detectors for the first times, like this was this was unheard of back in the early nineties, and I could feel like this nervous energy all throughout backstage or like uh. And then right before you went out for your intro, John, you did the Sign of the Cross, and then I think it was Bob, maybe Dave, but I think it was Bob who leaned over to you and said, can I have your parking spot?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like a Bob thing. I think I thing that was about it.
Speaker 2: I had some deranged idiot that was he showed up on the lot across the street, you know, the other Yeah, it was across from Sony, but it was where they had and he told somebody where they said, He said where John Stamins And the girl said, I don't know. Luckily she didn't say. She said, why is because I'm gonna kill him, and then she went to get security and then he was gone. And then then he started calling the the I had a whole chapter.
Speaker 5: Of this house season three.
Speaker 2: I had a whole chapter of this in my book and I pulled it out. So this is a special oh whatever, and so yeah, so it was, and he was calling the hotline and I had an FBI agent with me twenty four hours a day, and I was so stupid because I was trying to ditch him, and you know, and I got this. I remember when it happened. I got this weird you know, summons of it to Tom and Bob's office and then I Hi John, John, you know, and there was if you remember their office, it would look like Willie Walkers getting it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's candy everywhere and these weird little dogs that looked at you like you were poorer than them, and you.
Speaker 5: Were because you were absolutely Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They were like, John, we don't want you to worry, but you got a death threat. I'm like, don't worry. What do you mean don't worry? And they and they had the security guy there, Gavin de Becker anyway.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah that thing, Gavin.
Speaker 2: A couple of times you did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was death threats as a kid, you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're death threat letters from men in prison asking for specific photo of us as children.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had someone who was calling the stage, the calling the set the stage floor and say and asking for my mom and somebody they connected it to my dressing room and they were like, do you know where your daughter is right now? We have her like really creepy stuff, and yeah somebody it was Bob, No, it was it was just a break now.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had a bodyguard was actually Henry Kissinger's for me bodyguard, which had I known that now is a whole different situation. But yeah, I had a bodyguard in New York because there was a guy that the FBI was following was trying to kidnap me.
Speaker 5: Weird. It's a weird way to exist.
Speaker 2: I know, I always had somebody that wanted to beat me up. Always until now, I think I don't know I had a bully.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: When I was writing the book, I was trying to, you know, come up with as many relatable Yeah.
Speaker 3: Were you always John Stamos or were you you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: You got bullied and you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well, when I, first of all, I was a door key kid. I was my mom. She's on a talk show saying it too. I just found it recently where she said I was so ugly that she covered my face with a blanket when she took me home so the neighbors didn't see me. No, someday he'll grow into his looks. I think she told him that he had pet monkey or something. But I wasn't the best. I was a little I wasn't a great looking baby. Okay, telling you, I'll show you pictures.
Speaker 5: Everybody got to grow into their.
Speaker 2: Look true, it took me longer than that. Okay, you know, looked like Rickles and look at you now. Well, but when I was sort of that moment where I was coming out of the caterpillar phasing, into the butterfly phase or whatever the girls started. You know, I was in high school and no girls liked me. Now, nobody was interested in me, and then all of a sudden it just started to happen. It was so weird. And I remember so this I'm in marching band, and this kid says, hey, so and so, I know so and so sister, and she said that you're really cute and wants to go out with you. And I stopped in my tracks and trombone guy hit me in the back whatever, and I said, what, you can't tell anybody? I said, okay, And then that night I told everybody. It was a party, you know, block party.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Turns out that the girl had a boyfriend, which I didn't know about, big football player, you know, on the football team. And I'm sitting in a car and he comes and knocks on it and I rolled the window on a high damn black punches me right in the eye, really hard, black eye. And I was like, oh my god, this is the most humili and it was. And back then, there was no word. Bullying didn't exist, right, and and you know, and I was too embarrassed to talk to my mom and dad about it. I think they bust the saw but so but I was living in fear because this guy was always after me, every time I would turn a corner. And I'll never forget it. It was I walked into the bathroom and on it he'd written on the mirror I'm gonna kill you, big nose, and I'm looking at my face this black eye, and I go, that's it. I've got to do something. I've got to do something drastic. I've got to become famous. That was what through my head, and I thought, Okay, if I become famous, I'll have bodyguards. Then they'll beat him up. And to be honest with you, like my whole I remember each you know level that I got, Like, I'll get a TV show. I'll show that son of a bitch, I'm gonna play with the Beach Boys, and I'm gonna invite him to the show and I'll come backstage. I'll be doing a drum soll and my bodyguards will beat him up. And I swear I that was going through my mind up until today. But did you guys have anything that propelled Well, we have a special guest for you, John Oh, come on, I wrote him. I wanted to dedicate the whole book to him, but I'm not sure he could read so. But I do look always forgiven, like we've all. You know, I've moved on, obviously, it's it's you know, I got the last laugh. Probably I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Did you ever try to find him or tell him any of this or give him a free copy of your book?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 2: I mean right, well, like a phantom limb of a soldier in war, it's always naying it may I do wish I haven't seen him, but if I do, I would I would be super gentleman, say hey, remember me black eye. Oh yeah, you don't have to stand up, you don't have to clean the toilet, stand up. I wanted to tell you thank you. Without you, I don't know if I would be where I'm at today. And you've you've done everything. You know, you've really propelled me. And I know we were kids and it was the thing. You know, sorry about that, you know, and I wish you the best and walk away. But that I would turn around and say, but you know, the girl that you was your girlfriend? I dated her for three years and she said you were hung like a finch a very small place. So and then I would just walk away. That's sort of the scene there.
Speaker 3: Sat that rank drop that you've ever thought about that ever every night before bed or anything.
Speaker 2: Right, So I tried to find those moments, you know. I put in a moment that got a lot of attention about I was madly in love with this girl, madly in love with her, and she broke my heart and she cheated on me. I walked in and they were asleep, but I saw four feet in the bed. Then I ran out, crying and running down the hall, down the driveway. And the reason why I put that story in because years later, when we did Full House, I don't know if you girls knew this. The show wasn't didn't do great the first season.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we were barely.
Speaker 2: We didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were going to pick thirteen.
Speaker 4: Critics hated it.
Speaker 2: Well, the oh yeah, we should talk about that never changed the back thirteen though. Before we got that, you know, Jeff went into ABC with Milan Boat and they said, well, why should we keep the show on because we're thinking about canceling and they have dived in the they were leaving and Dave Jeff said, I have an idea, and then Tom and Bob were like, well, and he showed that. He showed this guy. Uh anyway, he showed him a scene of me and Michelle and Dave when we were feeding her cough medicine. Oh yeah, and it hadn't aired yet, and you know, look at the chemistry, look at these guys, and you know, and and we're doing something that no other show has ever done before. And everybody was like, what have you done that no one's done before? We're raising a baby on television. And they were like, oh, and that's how we got the back nine. But we still didn't do great, and so they said, you know, we're going to cancel you guys. Oh no, no, no, but okay, we're gonna try one thing. We're gonna try putting you on after one of our hit shows during the summer reruns, and if you get an audience and it looks like they're gonna follow you, then we'll keep for season two. That show was Who's the Boss starring Tony Danza, and Tony Danza was the one who was in bed with my girlfriend as exactly, so Who's the Boss?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, so those are the things, so what else? But then it took me I stopped and thought about what the show meant to people. And like you said, the critics got in my ear and I let them, and most of the time I don't. And they've been very good to me for a lot of things. They love this book, and you know, and then you know something they've not liked it with that's, you know, whatever. But they hated Full House and I and you know, they didn't think it was sophisticated, right, and it wasn't, you know. And there were shows like Seinfeld coming up and some of these other shows, and you know, I felt like, why am I not on that kind of show? What I realized when I was writing this is that in lieu of sophistication, there was sweetness and and and it gave a chance for the brain to step aside and for you to feel the heart, to feel something wholesome and good. And the show. Watching the show made us made us think about the good in us, in the in the viewer right right. And I mean when did you guys come to it?
Speaker 3: I mean, like as far as sort of reconciling with what the show was, I mean, you know, I'll be honest, it took me a while. It definitely took me a while, I think, growing up on the show and going through all of my awkward phases, and I mean, you know, just all of the things that you get made fun of, your teeth, your hair, your clothes, your whatever, dance move, you know, all of those things.
Speaker 2: Who was making fun of you? There's no social.
Speaker 5: Media, yeah, but it was.
Speaker 3: I mean I'd show up to school and I would get, you know, apple's thrown at my head at lunch, and get tripped and get pushed, and get stuff written on my locker and get you know, and I went to public school half the time, so it took a long time to kind of just like sort of pull all of that apart, right. But now that I've gotten older, I think I've i under I understand how special it is to have something that taps into that heart, and like you were saying, there's not a lot of shows that necessarily do that. And I've always said that the appeal of this show was the fact that we genuinely loved each other in real life, and that the relationships you were seeing on screen.
Speaker 5: Were how we actually were together.
Speaker 3: And I've always said that that is why I think people really gravitated toward this show because they were watching an actual family exist and you know, yes it was under imaginary circumstances, but our relationships and love were real. And it wasn't until I got a little bit older that I could really appreciate.
Speaker 5: The specialness of that.
Speaker 3: And I think that's with most things, right, Like, you're in your teens, twenties, this is stupid, this is lame.
Speaker 5: I'm not this, I'm not that, you know, And then.
Speaker 3: You get a little older, you know, you have your own family or you just kind of settle in a little and.
Speaker 5: You go, you know that heart is actually really important. Yeah, it's really important. I say that there was.
Speaker 2: No central character on the show. The central character of the show is love exactly and family.
Speaker 5: Who's the couch?
Speaker 1: Well, you know that if we have John Stamos on, we had to turn it into a two parter. Too much to go over. So tune in for our next episode. It's our first to be continued more with Uncle.
Speaker 4: Jesse next time.
Speaker 1: You can follow us on Instagram at how Rude podcast and you can email us at how rudpodcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: And remember the world is small, but the house is full.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah,