Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Mike Armstrong marks twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Laurie kill martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Up Broadway open then Downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area at thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway dot com com Off Broadway.
Speaker 2: Welcome into a new morning of Kentucky Sports Radio. I am not Matt Jones. I am Drew Franklin. It is Day four of Drew Palooza. We're excited with lots to talk about today and as always, we are brought to you by TJ Smith, personal injury lawyer. Call TJ and he will make them pay. We love TJ. If you're listening out there, thanks for being a longtime sponsor. Everyone give TJ a call if you need him. Also, give us a call on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven want to hear from you today. We got some yesterday. I'd like to have even more today. I haven't done as many callers as I wanted this week. We've been busy with news, but we'd love to hear from you. Also. We'll give one of them a Whiskey Thief call of today. And if you feel like texting, you can text Matt Jones over at Amsterdam on the a Vision Auto Glass text machine. Again, I don't know what hour it is. I assume he's still looking at tulips and doing that fellowship things he does, but it looks like he's been having a good time. Ryan and Shannon are still on their vacation in Panama City having a good time. Mario's visiting family in Florida. I got guys everywhere, but we've had fun so far this week. And today I brought in my dear friend Adam Luckett. You know him from KSR on three a KSR plus eleven personnel, all the things you do covering UK football. Yeah, I'll going. He's a proud of Saint X High School, the team that might have collapsed in the state tournament. He's still getting over that one. But everyone loves Adam Luckett, and we're excited to have him today. We're gonna talk a little UK football. It's been basketball all week, but spring football has been going on. They have a big Saturday coming up and no one knows it better than Adam Luckett. So Adam, we'll get to the football later, but thank you for making the trip from Louisville and joining me here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the one of my favorite weekends of the year, Kentucky Football Master's double Dip. And now we throw in the trio Adam Luckett on KSR Withdrew Franklin.
Speaker 2: I mean, what more could you want as a sports fan?
Speaker 3: We're how lucky are the listeners right now to get us by ourselves just talk ball and some other shenanigans.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to all the listeners for having Adam luckin to day and for the Masters. And since you set me up, I'm just gonna start with the Masters. We do have a few news pieces to go before we get to our football breakdown. But I did my annual tradition of waking up way too early to be in my seat an hour ahead of the seven thirty am start time this morning to watch everything down at Augusta National on that. By the way, some people called me out yesterday. I didn't know I did it, but I went back and listened. I was saying Augusta. I guess I turned on my redneck there for a little bit. So Augusta National not all Augusta as I was saying yesterday. But I woke up this morning to watch the honorary the what do you call him? Starters? Honorary starters? Correct, it's up early. My guy Fred Ridley, he welcomed us all to the tournament, the best tournament in golf. Had my guy Gary Player, Jack Nickols, and Tom Watson start off. They always hit the three t's to get things started. And were you up early? Did you watch it or were you preparing for our show today?
Speaker 3: I was up early, but I didn't get eyes on the honorary start this year. Unfortunately. It's one of my favorite parts of this weekend is watching that.
Speaker 2: Typically, well, I mean, just for three guys hitting a golf shot into the fairway and then walking away, it shouldn't be that exciting. But this morning, I gotta tell you, I was pretty impressed by Gary Player eighty nine years old. You know, he hits a good drive. They all do. They still got it. But my man at eighty nine high kick where his foot was at like eye level. I tweeted a photo of it. I'm not even half of his age and I can't do anything like that. I mean, truly remarkable athleticism by the eighty nine year old Gary Player. And then Jack followed him, and this bro my heart. Jack could barely get the tea in the ground and I was nervous, thinking like is he gonna fall over? I mean, it was bad. He even said I don't know if I can do this, and there was like an awkward silence. It took him a minute, but that part of the morning actually hurt me a little bit. He did get it, he did get it teed up, but it was it was touch and go there for a second. That would have really killed the vibe to start the Masters if Jack Nicholas, a legend, couldn't have even gotten the ball on the team right.
Speaker 3: And it like what's the What's the Master's without Jack?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Like that's he's the iconic figure of the event, and so yeah, I could definitely see why you well you had that, But Gary Player has got us cover.
Speaker 4: He'll be here a thirty years.
Speaker 3: Gary's gonna help Gary kicks until twenty fifty two. Gary player is gonna out last gym Nance.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, Jim. Jim's almost retired, only eleven years to go. Jack hit it well. I don't want I'm not here to just you know, Jack still got it. But the act of bending over again the tea in the ground. Next year, maybe let's go ahead and have the ball teed up for all three of them.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Tom Watson also hit it good and then they were off. We're watching it here at KOs Bar where we have Master's specials. Come get your uh your sampler that Monique works so hard on to copycat the guy to Pimento cheese, egg salad sandwich and the pork sandwich. We've got holes four, five, and six streaming on the broadcast. Since it's not on TV yet, we're going through Masters dot Com onto the big TV. Got that going on. We won't I know, not everyone loves golf, so we won't do two hours of talking about golf. But Adam and I are both excited. I got my Amen Corner T shirt on, got a Master's hat. As you said, it's just one of the best times of the year. You were there last year, right, I was there last year. Speaking of that, Billy is going to join us in the second hour. Billy has also been We both have a few Master's memories. Last year, especially, it was kind of awkward for both of us as some UK basketball news hit while I was on the golf course without a phone and Billy had to fill in. But we'll break that down later. For now, let's get to a little bit of the news. We've started with basketball every show. It's been so newsy this week, so I'll stick with that. We're finally gonna get a visit from from Wilkerson. The Sam Houston transfer dead period today so we can't visit yet, but after today it's looking like he will come and visit. Lexington R. Pope is considering him to fill that shooter spot. As we went over a couple times already this week. Average twenty and a half points, four rebounds, two assists on forty seven point seven percent from three. That's that's pretty good. Yeah, excuse me, no, forty four point five. Got my numbers. They're forty seven point seven from the field, forty four point five from three, made nearly ninety threes at that clip. You know, we were kind of yats. It was looking like might work with him from USC. That's kind of gotten a little more in Washington's direction. But Wilson's gonna come to campus and that's that's big as the mark. Pope's looking to fill that shooting role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a two time All USA performer seventeen to twenty plus point games last year. Just can really fill it up. And he's got size six five two guard. I think you kind of look at what Kentucky's looking for size athleticism plus the shooting. I think he checks a lot of boxes. There was a lot of Indiana buzz with him. Yeah, so there's a chance for Kentucky pull one over on the Hoosiers with their new coach Darren de Bryes and of course Indiane. But don't think they come to up next year.
Speaker 2: Do Yeah? We don't want to play against this guy. I gotta lock him up. He's also looking at Auburn and Old Miss. You know, Bruce Pearl just being desperate down there, trying to call everyone we're calling. We already took Jaden Quaintans out of Bruce's hands. He thought he could pull that one off, but good chance to add maybe not the final piece, but maybe the most important piece of shooting there with Wilkerson. You're known as the football guy. But you know you know it all mentioned this yesterday, Ky, Sorry, you gotta know everything. Just at any moment you could. You could get a text, hey can you post this? And you gotta be knowledgeable? Uh what did we haven't had you on? What are your thoughts of how the portaling has gone so far for Kentucky and how the roster's shaping up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 3: Obviously there was a slow start and you felt like they missed on some guys. It felt like the DIT and losing Donovan did it felt like a big one, you know. So they pivot to Jalen Lowe. But ever since then, I think you have to really be a fan of the process and where they're at. I think obviously, like the Quaintance development, I have some issues or not issues, but worries about just how healthy is he gonna be? But if he's healthy, he's one of them. He could be an All American. I think next year, I think Diabante kind of fits what they want to do or what they're looking for, and I think Wilkerson really all three of these guys are kind of in on the two guard. Wilkerson, Wesley Yates, which is kind of trending in the other direction, and then Drawn Druan Pierre Junior. I believe all of those guys they have size of two guard and they can all shoot it, and so that's kind of what they need that they they want more athleticism, they want more size, want more links, but they can't.
Speaker 4: You gotta have the shooting as well.
Speaker 3: And I think it's really important to get a knockdown shooter at the two and I think they have some good options.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love for it to be. Wilkerson also yesterday on three put a prediction in our got Pete, he said, calling my shot. The confidence level was listed as low, but he at least put a prediction in for Alvaro Foguerrez. I believe we're saying it El l Popo. I think I learned yesterday.
Speaker 4: Spain is what I'm calling the big the.
Speaker 2: Big Spaniard, the big Tariff, That's what I'm calling him. We got to get him from from across the pond. I still don't know if he's over there or has made it over here yet, but now is uh Kentucky's adding the Wilkerson visit and the dead period ends today where they couldn't visit. Maybe he's gonna speed that up. But heck, I wonder is there a world where you add Wilkerson and al Varo. I mean, I'm dreaming dreams if they're able to pull that off.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think al Varro is kind of the Andrew Carr replacement four, who can shoot a little bit, who can pass, give you some rebounding shop blocking, but mainly gonna with his offensive versatility, can post, can step out, hit threes, and can play some five for you in a pinch if you need it. And so that I think would be a big one. I think, you know what's going on with Brandon Gayarrison, that's something we're gonna have to figure out. I think that's everyone kind of waiting on that. That feels like the next Domino, figuring out what happens there. And then Alvarro is out there and he's been linked to Kentucky. Really seems like since the beginning there.
Speaker 2: Is Brandon Garrison online speculation. This is not Drew Franklin ks are reporting this, but the internet went wild because you know, we freak out on social media. I guess he changed his his bio on Instagram and it doesn't say Kentucky. I don't. I mean, I guess that could be an indicator. I'm sure he is reconsidering his position with Kentucky after they added acquaintance. I mean, if I'm Garrison, I would also say, hold on, what's going on? Wait a minute. But last night there was a lot of speculation about his social media profile changing. So I guess that is one thing we'll have to watch.
Speaker 3: As a man who dabbles in high school football recruiting, I would not put too much stock into what's going on on some of these social accounts, whether ig, Facebook, TikTok.
Speaker 2: Maybe the man just wanted to change his profile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who knows, But yeah, you feel like it feels like maybe some smoke with everything else when you kind of add all the pieces together.
Speaker 4: But we'll just have to wait and see.
Speaker 2: And it would make sense if he wanted to reconsider. I hope he stays. You know, I wanted him to go shopping in the portal at that spot. I don't know if he can be the guy because if he doesn't take the next jump, I don't know if you're championship level. If that you're starting five. But I would still like to have Brandon Garrison on the team. Nothing else, just when we play Oklahoma. He's gotta let him know. Again he's got wave at somebody.
Speaker 3: Well the law. I mean, he embraced the rivalry.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: He's over there with Pat Kelsey mixing it up.
Speaker 3: So from that aspect, yes, and again in the portal, like there's not like if Brandon Garrison enters.
Speaker 4: The portal, he'll be one of the top rank centers.
Speaker 3: Of course, so I think that's something to keep in mind too, Like if you're gonna lose a player, where would he end up? If he enters the portal, He's gonna get probably a good offer to go play somewhere.
Speaker 2: Isn't he the one that was at Arkansas when he committed, Like on his visit last year.
Speaker 4: He was somewhere.
Speaker 2: I can't remember where it was Arkansas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they pivoted from Osibor Or Great Ossibor ended up at Washington vollowed as coach from Utah State and it was kind of out of nowhere. And that's the thing with Pope, he really does keep things button up, so like reacting in real time, it's kind of hard because you don't know really which direction they're leaning. I'd like that all of these recruitments, it feels like.
Speaker 2: Of course, Pope's been very good at keeping this quiet. I think last year when they were I and Jeremy roach and that leaked out and then they end up losing them, I think he learned a lesson there, and he's keeping those lips sill. Speaking of Pope, he was in Washington, DC yesterday. We'll just pivot into that with a random cast of characters. There was Mitch Barnhardt and then your boy Josh Katis. I mean, did they just load up the UK Athletics playing and head that way with Kenny Brooks. Yeah, Kenny Brooks not a Kentucky person. But there is an image of Pat Kelsey standing next to Mark Pope in Washington, DC. We just need those two standing next to each other as much as possible.
Speaker 4: Some one bout Pat Kelsey a step stal geez, if I'm man.
Speaker 2: Out, if I'm Pat, I refuse to go anywhere near Mark Pope. I don't even shake his hand before the rivalry game, but they were up in DC. I guess is this tied to the House settlement a little bit up there campaigning for something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting the Wilkerson recruitment because what you're seeing in this basketball portal like it moves slower last year. But players are wanting to lock in deals before the settlement's passed. Because once the settlement is passed, which is looking like it will be next week as of right now, it could change. You were not gonna be Basically, the collectives are gonna have to go through a clearinghouse, which Mitch Bonnhart's gonna be involved in, and you're gonna have to fair mark right, So you're gonna have to prove it's not pay for play like you're doing a serve is kind of So it's gonna be harder to get nil pay for play. Essentially deals pass, So a lot of players are locking in deals right away to get paid right now.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: What they were there in DC for is once this settlement gets past, the NCAA still wants help and they want a bill pass that protects them from anti trust lawsuits for this clear now, So then they're gonna set up so That's what that was about. There they were hobnobbing essentially with members of Congress and be like, we need we really need your help and support on this. And so that's what that essentially was about.
Speaker 2: You and ralsh on eleven personnel have been Josh Kattis fan since he got on campus. You call him the ass kicker. I'm sure they just needed a student representative there, But I did feel like that was a that was kind of a surprising personality in that group heading up there, that Josh Kattis joined the group. I assume maybe stoops. You know, he's in the middle of spring ball. Maybe he couldn't take off, so they had to send someone. And do we know how Josh Kattis ended up there. I love that he was tweeting or posting pictures from the White House. Looked like he had a good time.
Speaker 3: That is a great question, is Justicatus want to be a politician? You see the next governor of Kentucky? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Could he have been hired by dose? Who knows? But a unique day yesterday with UK up in Washington, DC trying to get things done. Is this house thing gets to its seems like its final hour? The hearing was on Monday, and they say by next week, we should should know exactly what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically they they came for six hours and basically what that hearing was for. They had four hundred thousand, four hundred thousand people involved in this law or the class action lawsuit that was gonna get paid from the NCAA, Like, there were six hundred objectors, and some of the objectors came and kind of gave their reasons why they objected. The judge was like, okay, and then she wants to see kind of roster limits how they set that up. So they have to go back and kind of work on some things, but it's expected. She even said it's a good settlement, like I want to pass this essentially without saying that, but that's kind of what she said.
Speaker 2: I've read a story about her just as seventy five year old woman has it all in her hands.
Speaker 3: Right, and she was the one on the obeyonon case which kind of started all of this over a decade ago. It's the same same judge in Oakland, and so the guy expectation is that this is going to pass and they can happen as early as next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll unfold soon. We'll break it down when that happens, but for now, we'll take a break here on KSR. We'll start with the spring football talk after this, and later in the show, we're gonna be joined by Todd Bryant taking a break from spring practice over there to chat with us. Be interesting to see what he has to say about probably taking on a new leadership role. Even though he's only a junior, he's already played a lot of football for that team that's full of new faces. So we look forward to hearing from him. It's Drew Franklin with Adam Luckett. Billy will be joining us soon to add to the master's conversation. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Goodek Sports Radio. Drew Franklin here with Adam Luckett. Billy Rutlis just walked in quick timing from downtown after you did the pre show with Officer Don this morning.
Speaker 5: So guys, count Paris, it's good to see you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Actually, someone asks I'll ahead and address that. I've been getting questions in my Twitter DMS at Drew Franklin KSR. That'll be my text machine. Hit me up if you have any questions for the show. But a couple of people this morning wanted to know if I've opened my script, and I will just be very quick and let you know. No, I have not.
Speaker 4: What do we do it?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm watching the Masters? What do you do it?
Speaker 6: It's only a couple weeks away, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's two weeks from Friday costume fittings tomorrow, right after our show. I got to rush out of there. You and I are hosting tomorrow. Gotta go get my account Paris outfit on. I don't know what that entails, but I'll be looking forward to it. Our guy Paul here is holding up the flyer has my name on it. Look at that. Look how official I'll look on that program. This is gonna be the beginning of something special or it's gonna be an absolute disaster. There's no in between.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm excited for you. And we need Mario to come back so we can get some video.
Speaker 2: No, we don't need video, please Mario. We're gonna it's gonna be like Augusta National. No phones, We're gonna leave your phones in your car. Just be there and enjoy the moment. When I'm on stage absolutely bombing or becoming the next few jackmen. Uh, let's talk a little football. I know everyone's excited about Kentucky football. They've been going for a couple weeks now. This upcoming Saturday, what we call on it? Is it a spring showcase? Is that officially what I'm supposed to say it is?
Speaker 4: That is the official term?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, ten am, This Saturday free and open to the public. You can go watch Kentucky football. And I'm gonna say it's like an open practice. I don't know if that's what they're wanting to call it, but you will be able to see the team in person. Won't be televised or live stream. So if you want to see the new team that has like thirty something new pieces on it, get out there this Saturday. Do we know a format?
Speaker 4: Do we know?
Speaker 2: Do we know anything?
Speaker 3: Will you not specifically, But the assumption we're kind of working with is that it's gonna be the same as last year, which was essentially a practice, but they gave you they had an extended eleven on eleven scrimmage, so if you got in there late enough, it would just feel like a normal spring game. But the first kind of thirty minutes is stretching in individual drills, kind of getting like what they do in the pre before it get gotcha and then the game starts. It would be kind of similar to that. It is what I'm what kind of the working assumption, I think is probably what we'll see.
Speaker 4: It wasn't tackled the ground.
Speaker 3: It was more kind of what football terms they call thudding, which is just kind of like you go up and hit somebody, but you don't complete the tackle.
Speaker 4: And so that's what kind of we're working. Well, what we'll see.
Speaker 2: I'll be out there. It starts at ten am. It's at Krogerfield. I don't think I said that. The said there's gonna be a few limitations as they're getting ready for the Tyler Childers concert. I guess certain areas won't be open, not that they need the whole place, but it'll just be open seating. Like I said, doors open nine. Get out there if you want to watch the Cats. Weather should be good. You can go meet the new team, which brings me to my first question for Adam. Looktt, Adam, I pride myself I've been a Kentucky football fan going way back. I've even said I like it a little more than basketball. It's like fifty point five percent to forty nine point five percent. I've just always loved UK football, even in their worst years. I used to know the three deep, the four deep, the five deep, I knew the walk ons. I went to that media practice last week with you all. I was only able to stay about thirty minutes because I had to get to the show. I didn't know anyone who that is out there, and it was just fresh faces across the board. So I kind of want to start with just who's on the team, But let's start with at least the position that everyone will be most focused on. I did get a look at Zach Calzada, and what are we hearing about him in camp? I know there's been conversations with him. Just brush us up to speed on what's going on with him, and then we'll just go through the whole roster and what's ahead for the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, first things first, I think there's gonna be a lot of people that ask, like, who's gonna start at quarterback?
Speaker 4: With Cutter Bowley.
Speaker 3: Again, the working assumption is that Calzada will be the starter, So he will be your starting quarterback this year. This is a guy who will turn twenty five years old in November. During the season, he will turn twenty five.
Speaker 2: We got our own Chad Baker Maszari we do.
Speaker 3: This is an old guy, older guy who's played a lot of college football. It's played a lot of snaps to kind of rap on the kind of rap on him. He's more athletic than you think. He can do some things running the football, but I would say it's mostly gonna be kind of his like Levis type runs QB power where he's getting downhill game yards that way, and then in the pocket he's known for having a big arm, can stretch the field vertically, but no one when to like take some gas off the ball. It's kind of something he's gonna have to work on. But he and in carnate word, he showed that he can create kind of make some plays with being an athlete, which is something I think Kentucky like when they scouted him and evaluated him. And so again he's a guy who's played played quarterback in the SEC is one games in the SEC. So he's a guy that in theory should bring a much higher floor than what they've had in the past, where there was kind of the big variant swings with some of their starters at quarterback, and so that's what they have in Calzata. And then I think they have a backup that they probably feel the best about that they've had and probably, I would say a long time with Cutter.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Kalsada being twenty five. This is his seventh year of football.
Speaker 3: That is correct, twenty nineteen high school graduate, Mercy. How does that even happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it was it Auburn. He missed part of the year most of the year and was able to get red shirt for that.
Speaker 3: He got a medical red shirt for a season at Auburn.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know they'll call it an open competition. You don't think Bully can push him at all. I'm a big Bowley guy. I wanted him at Texas even though it didn't go well. I thought he was putting a bad situation at Florida. You mentioned it'll be a great backup, But is there any chance he can he can make a run at taking the job before fall gets here.
Speaker 3: I think the only situation where Bully becomes a starter this year is if Calsuda gets hurt or if things are not going well and they just need to make a change. I think the plan all along with Cutter, was to getting for two years and then starting year three like that was the working blueprint, and I think that's still that's still the plan moving forward.
Speaker 2: How much will help Bush Hampden his second year. You know, we coordinators don't come back very often around these parts. Last year he was putting a little bit of a bad spot. It was a very late addition when Liam Cohen disappeared in the night to go to Florida. Do you think we got some confidence in Hamden it'll be up help out with Calzada, knowing that Bush at least has a year behind him and in behind the eight balls starting his time at.
Speaker 3: UK this year right, Like, it's hard to kind of have player continuity in this age, so many moving parts. Kentucky specifically leaned in to a new having a new team, but they're selling big the coach continuity. It's not just Hamden, it's every coach is back except for the receiver coach. So they believe that that's going to help them get off to a faster start that and I think the big thing for Hamden is he wasn't familiar with last year's team. He got the hand pick this roster. Essentially the entire roster. Quarterback, offensive lineman, receivers, tailback like these are his players. So you have to hope that that leads to better results. If it doesn't, they're going to be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cohen built the plan last year, then left you had Hampden and he had really no control of the roster. I think he added Gavin Wimsy, but it was what it was when he took over, so at least he's in a better spot. We're in a better spot now that Billy are Sports is here. Got your master's hat on.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's just one of the best days of the year, Drew. I know we're on the same page and even Adam too. So I've got nothing played later today except sit on the couch.
Speaker 2: And watch them. Well, we'll share some memories we've both been and we had a unique Monday last year. But for right now, we'll take a quick break. It's Drew, Adam Luckett and Billy Rutledge at ks Bar watching the best tournament sports on TV. We'll be right back. Welcome back to KSR. We're here on a Thursday April tenth. People have noted that I haven't been given the date or the weather like Matt does. I guess they want some continuity with the show while he's gone. So, uh yeah, Thursday, April tenth, and it looks like blue skies. Yep, we go there, Billy. Is that is that how it works?
Speaker 5: Sunshining?
Speaker 6: I you know, I do the pre show before KSR and I naturally have a routine to start the show now and I find myself giving weather reports too.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it is, but Matt does such a good.
Speaker 2: In our brains. Sorry, I didn't do it the first three days. You mentioned how you're going home and just watching the Masters. After this, my Master's Thursday's really been thrown off. What's going on last weekend? Not only did my AC go out, my dishwasher broke, I've got moles tearing up my yard and my ice maker, my freezer broke. I mean all at once. So when I go home, I'm just gonna have repair people everywhere. I'm gonna be in the backyard with a shovel going at war with these moles.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to sit on the couch, put my feet up and listen to the fake birds and look at the Azelias on TV, and I just have an absolute war zone at home.
Speaker 5: It sounds like a stressful weekend, Adam, don't it.
Speaker 4: They say bad things happen in threes. I got for Dree Frankly four.
Speaker 2: Five and six. Yeah, I asked. I think I mentioned this on Friday, maybe Monday about the mole problem. Yes, that's it's not going away. Those little those little critters are hard to catch.
Speaker 6: Well, the advice was sound, at least what I heard. You got to get one of those traps.
Speaker 2: I have a trap.
Speaker 6: I think that's going to work here because my dad and I have fought the moles before, and it's it's an ordeal.
Speaker 5: There's no doubt.
Speaker 2: Someone wrote me and said they live in eastern Kentucky. I don't remember the exact part. And there's a ninety five year old woman in their neighborhood that will just get a shotgun and take care of moles. So if the trap doesn't work and all my repair people can't fix things, might have to call her up to come home.
Speaker 5: Bring your shotgun.
Speaker 4: I need the help, please.
Speaker 2: Rick, let's knock out some phone calls. Who's Who's up first, got Shawn up first, Sean, thanks for calling in.
Speaker 7: Hey, Uh having a good day. Uh just wanted the pile and think that you haven't that about and uh just want to flagging blay, I said, and uh, just one of those how you guys?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate the call. I heard he wanted to be a part of Drew palooza. I don't know if that was my headphones. Did you all get much of that?
Speaker 3: I think portal scuttle, but he was wondering if you had any scuttle to share with a good listeners case.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm sorry. I couldn't hear your call very well. I was trying to let you go there. I wasn't just me. I guess we shared what we know. We're just watching Wilkerson Hill. His visit be coming up soon. He's looking at Indiana, Old Miss and Auburn. You'd love to have him as the shooter you got. Al Varo will eventually come over from Spain. I assume they will get him on campus. I don't think that's been reported, but on three is put in a not the not the official prediction, but in a in a blog post, wrote confidence level low, but calling my shot Kentucky. So I'd say those two are the watch and then whatever Brandon Garrison wants to do. If he wants to be a part of this final four run next year, there's a spot for him. But if he sees the writing on the wall and once more minutes or can get more opportunities somewhere else, maybe he goes. But I think that's the current state of the roster.
Speaker 6: You guys talked about the Instagram thing already, we did. Yeah, I don't know how much that matters. I mean, these kids today will change their social media profile for anything.
Speaker 5: But do you want Brandon Garrison back.
Speaker 3: I've learned for thirty somethings like me, it's not a good practice to try to play the mind games with social media with teenagers. No so, but I will point out with Wilkerson, Joe Tipton has reported a visit is expected this weekend. Okay, the dead period just ends today Tomorrow's Friday, So Kentucky's gonna get one of those first visits. Typically, these portal recruitments, they move fast. That's typically not a bad thing. If you get one of the first visits for Kentucky, you would hope you get him on campus first and maybe you can wrap that up.
Speaker 2: And then they've been in fact since the beginning, I mean the dead period. You can still talk, you just can't write in person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you cannot take visits in Pope can't go to wherever Wilkerson's training are, where he's staying and talked to him.
Speaker 2: And Pope doesn't sleep, so he's probably been up at like two am zooming this kid over in Spain. I don't know how time zones work, but I'm I'm Pope's. Pope's been in talks with him. It's the report on the kid's always been that he before he does anything, he wants to actually get to campuses, so that that'll be big this weekend.
Speaker 6: Well, what was he driving a stick in South America last year trying to get to recruits? So I mean I forgot about its exactly good.
Speaker 2: Good call back there, Billy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the phone line.
Speaker 4: Rick got Alan up next.
Speaker 2: Alan, thanks for calling in. Hey, I'm a wonderful we're having a great time.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 8: I had a question have you I don't know if you mentioned it earlier this week, but have you heard anything about Travis Perry. You haven't mentioned him in as a contributor for next year, and I was just curious to see if you knew it something that the fans didn't have.
Speaker 2: All Right, I appreciate the call. I uh, you know, he's he's He and I are from the same dirt as a Bloodsoe and cousins used to say, we're reaching two guys. I know several Lion County people and when I've asked them, they don't. They haven't heard of Peepe.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: They just think he's gonna be right back on the team.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: As far as being a contributor, I don't think he'll have the Rollie did this year when half the team got injured and he had to step in. I think, you know, with Lowe coming in and pieces they've added, he might slide down the bench a little bit. You could still use him for shooting when called upon, But as far as him actually leaving or hitting the portal, at least the Lion County Lions, I know they haven't heard anything around town or expect that. So as far as I know, I expect Travis Perry to be on the team. I don't know if you guys have any expectations otherwise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we got a week left until the portal closes. I believe it closes the sixteenth. That could be wrong on that. Maybe it's in the week after, maybe it's two weeks. So he's got a little bit of time. I mean, I think the expectation would probably be he has a role similar to what he had this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I don't think the expectation was for him to play this much last year. I mean you had Kirka get hurt, Lamont Butler hurt at times. I mean he was really thrust it into a role that maybe some didn't expect for him to be.
Speaker 5: So I expect him to come back, And part of it is that he hasn't entered into the transfer portal yet.
Speaker 3: Right, And there's also gonna be more just year by year player development that you're.
Speaker 4: Gonna have with Pope that he just didn't have with Cali Perry.
Speaker 3: Not saying one is right or wrong, it's just a different way to build your team. I mean ross constructing. I think Travis Perry the plan for him always similar to Cutter Bowley, I think was developing for a couple of years and then when he's a junior, he can be a real piece of your team.
Speaker 4: He was just forced to be a real piece this year when they probably wasn't really read.
Speaker 3: It was probably maybe unfair to him to play him as much as they did, but they had their handless forced because of the injuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pope's made it clear right away he's gonna be big on retaining guys. He'll get a couple of freshmen that are highly ranked, a couple of portal guys, and try to keep the player players he has. And I'd say Noah, Chandler and Perry are a big part of that. Let's get back to football real quickly, like it, since that's where your big brain operates. This Saturday Spring Showcase, Let's say I'm a fan. I drove an hour from from an hour away to be here. I'm excited. I'm looking forward to this new team, but I'm like Drew Franklin and I don't know the roster. Who are some new pieces that people should be looking out for on either side of the ball. Just someone you think could be an impact contributor right away?
Speaker 3: Kin trick Law Alabama receiver transfer number one. He's probably gonna be Kentucky's leading receiver this year, so I definitely get eyes on him. He's gonna be a guy they want to feature, and he's gonna his usage is gonna be similar I think to how they tried to use Barry and Brown last year. Jet sweeps quick game screens and then scheming up when to take vertical shots with him. He's gonna be a big piece, so I would definitely watch him. David gusta number sixty defensive tackle, is gonna play some nose for them. He was a really big win out of the portal Tennessee. Some other SEC squols were involved, who was a high dollar player for them to get. Was one of the best defensive tackles available in the portal. They're gonna need him to be a playmaker along with mcquee. Humphrey Race defensive end number fifty. So those are two guys I would really watch on defense law I think is kind of the big one. And then just how they handle a running back. I think it's gonna be a committee approach. Everyone knows Jamarian Wilcox. They went and got Dante Daldell, got him to get in the portal from Nebraska and landed him and then Jason Patterson. It sounds like he's having a really good spring practice a red shirt freshman till back. So those were kind of like just watching those we all know Kentucky wants to run the football outside of the obvious, which I think is Calzada, and just how does the offensive line look? Those are kind of a few peat players I would watch in all of those those three guys. I name, they're gonna need all of those guys to be really good players for them this year to max out to reach their potential.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Law could be the leading receiver, but you know, it was exciting to get Macklin back. Kind of quiet first half of the year, turned it on late. What are the expectations of him? I know last year he kind of moved to the slot when he's more of an outside vertical guy. Is uh getting back to his natural position? Well he should. We expect a big year out of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think one thing you're going to see early in this show case when levin on leven starts is we've heard about Kalzak's arm strength and they brought Macklin back to be kind of their vertical thread. I have a feeling we're gonna see a vertical shot to Macklin from Kalzada early in this this spring show case if you're there at Kroger Field. But yeah, I think with Macklin, they played him in the slot last year. Didn't really have a spot for him because they were they had to play a lot of tight ends because they couldn't block. Some tight ends were needed to help block, and then you had Dan Keen, Barry and Brown. There wasn't a lot of snaps for him, and this slight kind of experiment didn't work. I think Liam Collen kind of targeted him to play slight in his offense and they kind of kept that plan. It just didn't work. But Macklin played outside receiver at North Texas. He had his best year was one thousand yard receiver, was one of the best deep ball receivers in college football.
Speaker 4: And we saw some of that.
Speaker 3: Later in the year against Louisville, against Tennessee, against Texas him kind of making vertical plays down the field. That's gonna kind of be I think the plan for him this year is to play him outside and maybe not give him a ton of targets when we're going to him. We're throwing it deep and he's gonna be kind of their big play target on the outside.
Speaker 2: It's still only two names, say you know, we're reading reports. You and Raush have talked about it. They're little fin in the receiver room. Any other names. I guess the DJ Miller turned heads into practice.
Speaker 3: DJ Miller was a big recruiting win for them. Lane Kiffin o Miss really wanted him. He's only a true freshman now, but he's got long term potential. I would say he's gonna be a guy I think that plays in a rotational role, like he's kind of this year's Harley Gilmore, Like you know how they've kind of slowly put Gilmour in there. I think that's gonna be the plan for Miller and then for him maybe to be a starter next year. I don't know how big of a role he's gonna play. They got a choice do Lotto from Clemson to play a role, but he sounds like he's been banged up a little bit. They got a JJ Hester from Oklahoma to kind of be the vertical threat. He missed that open practice through we were at.
Speaker 2: He's played a lot of football. He was at Oklahoma for like three years in Missouri for two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was two two tour two at Oklahoma and then True True Edwards was really the big one that they haven't gotten cleared yet because he's got the Diego Pavia extra year of eligibility college. He's similar to Calsada like he's gonna be twenty four to twenty five next year. He with Kendrick Claw I think would be there. That would be their top two receivers if they can get him. But he's not gonna be out there for the spring game. But that's an important storyline to watch because he's gonna be a guy I think potentially can be one of their top top receivers and can be kind of a go to guy for Calzada or Bowlie who whoever is that quarterback.
Speaker 2: I was excited about True Edwards when he committed in December, January whatever it was looking at his highlight DAPE. That's a playmaker and it was pretty bummed to see that he wasn't already on campus. I guess he did the pro day down there in Louisiana, but they're still trying to get everything cleared. As you said to yeah, get him another year and get him on campus.
Speaker 3: I think the expectation is he's going to get clear because he fits just the language that they've released it to this point, the NCAA about who would be because you had to you had to play JUCO in a certain year, and it couldn't just be the COVID year. But he he played, he'd spent twenty twenty and twenty one, I believe, or twenty nineteen and twenty twenty in JUCO, so he should qualify. So I think the expectation they will get him. But it's one of those things where they have to get this house settlement through and then that that ruling will come. But the expectation for all these teams is that these junior college guys are gonna be able to get cleared in Edwards fits the criteria for that BILLI.
Speaker 6: You're writing all those down fill the quickly realizing how little I know about.
Speaker 5: The team this year. But I do want to ask you.
Speaker 6: I mean, discipline and culture were huge talking points after the season last year. Have you noticed any changes? Is there any difference that we could tell on the field on Saturday? Should I look for Willcox to have his shoes tied or what like have you sense to change.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a lot of talk or scuttle or talk about how maybe some players got away with not practicing. In just using this as example, they haven't maxed out the practices in the spring in the last couple of years, like they called they were closing up shop at eleven, twelve, thirteen, they went the whole spring they're gonna take they did all fifteen practice. Yeah, so that like just using that, that's a sample that they're maybe taking it more seriously over there. Mark Stoops has talked multiple times about how they changed the off season training program. And so to answer your question, it's too early to tell, like for where we sit, but they're saying the right things and they're doing things differently, like like the spring practice. Just using that, that's clear like change of we're gonna do things a little bit differently, and so we'll see how all that plays out. But they again they've got to really hand pick this roster in a lot of ways. They got to go out and pick guys that they thought fit for them. And so we'll see if that if that's able to help them flip kind of that you're talking about, just like the culture and the standard and how we operate day to day, and we'll see if how what when once the games start, we'll get our answers, But so far that it seems like they're doing things differently, and we'll see if it works well.
Speaker 2: We got Todd Bryant coming up at eleven. I'm gonna ask him about the discipline and the culture and how things have changed behind the scenes. He was one of the players that didn't shy away from mentioning it. It had slipped at the end of last year. So I'm sure we'll get them on record saying how it's actually going over there. Someone who's actually living it right now will have those answers, But for right now, we'll take a quick break. I see my guy Steven Jaeger at two under just climbing that leaderboard. Love me some Steve Yeager look out for him, And I got JT posting another friend of the program with KSR former KSR blogger Aaron Fleener on the bag. Those are two guys we're watching at the Masters today now, uh posting birdied number two, but they I think he fell back to Evan. But those are two friends of the program. We're watching, and then we'll keep you updated with the masters and more football talk. We'll be right back on KSR. Welcome back to Kentucky Sports Radio Drew Franklin with Adam Luckett and Billy Relichs. This segment is brought to you by our friends at No Jay Linda Farms. Might have to break in my No Cha Linda supply and the freezer this weekend while I'm home all weekend. If you want to go to No Chi Lindafarms dot com you can pre order quarter half and whole beef boxes. Farm pickup and local delivery for these items will begin on May first. When you order quarter half and whole beef boxes from No Jay Linda, you will receive a list of the exact number of items you receive in texts, even text you photos that what you will get no surprises. You can also call the owner, Steve Grissom at eight five nine seven O seven seven zero zero four. Steve's been good to us for many years, keeps our freezer full, and he will guide you through the options and selections and will even share tips on how to properly prepare the cut. Steve even like cooked food for Matt since Matt doesn't know how to just so he could heat it up. That's how nice he is.
Speaker 4: Over there be direction.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he helped you on Valentine's Day. So support Steve and get some locally farmed beef at no Cha, Linda, that's at no you, Linda Farms dot com. You want to get back to more football or Masters? Maybe a little more football, you know, we're getting a little more sprink excitement.
Speaker 4: I have a Master's question for both of you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll go back to Masters then.
Speaker 3: Like I've been to the players, and I've heard stories about the PGA say, people like to have a good time.
Speaker 2: People do like to have a good time, get a.
Speaker 3: Little maybe someone what one would call under overserved. Now at the Masters, do you it's like a classy Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: So you don't want to miss and if they are, they're escorted out.
Speaker 4: So that so that that does happen.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, there's a decorum to it all, don't you think, Drew. I mean, there's a lot of cigar puffing going around, but there's no like teenagers getting routed or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm someone that likes to party, I've been known to put away a few beers, and they're very cheap there. But when you're at the Masters, you're dialed in, you're focused, you're just appreciating everything around you. I might have a few. In fact, I went to a practice round two years with my dad. It's one of my favorite moments ever. The players were done at Amen Corners. The last group went by and they had a little beer shack there and my dad ran a golf course for many years, so we just watched the ground screw get Amen Corner ready for the next day and we just sat there drinking two dollar beers. We were the only two people over there, and it was one of the coolest things ever. So sure you partake, but it is nowhere near the players where everybody's getting black out and routing. You see people passing out. This is a classy environment.
Speaker 4: Look, so you're telling me that if you wu that's frowned upon.
Speaker 2: If security didn't get to you, the person next to you and will beat you. Boy.
Speaker 6: So like, let's say this, like if you screamed mashed potatoes after somebody hits a shot, they would come over and talk to you.
Speaker 2: Like the gallery will handle you first, I think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you will get the the looks. I mean, it's more like polite clapping after Drew is on Romeo and Juliet is what you should expect.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna keep with the Romeo and Juliette di exactly.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, it's not a dig. I mean, I'm excited for the script reading tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I'll practice it. I might do we were talking during the break, I might do a couple of different voices. Test them out on the KSR audience tomorrow. We'll decide which one I use for the play I mentioned Steve Yeager. I will tell my story real quick. I threw friend of a friend, ended up at a bachelor party with him, and there was this big beach house where we were all staying. Most of the guys were pro golfers, so I did not participate in many of the games. But he dropped a golf ball on the hardwood kitchen floor, took a range finder and pretended to like, look at a guy in the kayak and a kayak out on the ocean. He opens the kitchen door the back door to go outside. There is just glass everywhere, and we're like, oh, I don't think we should be doing this. I don't think we should be doing this. And he takes a full swing off the kitchen floor hits a golf ball out on the beach. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Golf Channel I tweeted the video back then, Golf Channel even even shared it. But remarkable golf shots. So as you're watching him in at Augusta today, just know he could also hit it off your kitchen floor if needed.
Speaker 5: Was he challenged or did he just decide, Well, you know, just.
Speaker 2: Guys being dudes and getting a little bored, and when they're all pro golfers, they gotta they gotta show off their skills. But pretty impressive and he's a he's a nice guy. So even though he's he's not an American, we still like him. He might be against us in the Ryder Cup, but we're rooting for Steven right now, Stefan if you want to call him, and he's I think still two under, yeah.
Speaker 6: Rooting for him, rooting for JT, posting Justin Thomas, even Keegan Bradley who had a hole in one yesterday that was he is.
Speaker 3: Two under, drew one shot back of Aaron Rai Walking Neman tied at the top three under but we're it's early in the day, only one it looks like only one group has made the turn at this point.
Speaker 2: It's very early in the day for us. I have so many more football questions for you. But first we're gonna ask questions to Ty Bryant. He's coming up next. We're gonna rick call him up over there at the football stadium. He couldn't join us in person, but he's taking a break from the practices and the meetings going on over there as they wrap up spring practice, and we'll get his thoughts on everything that's going on in the outlook for the season, his big junior year in the secondary. So after this break we'll hear from Todd Bryant. We'll be right back