Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're screaming a happy Valentine's Day. Whether you're single, partnered, or just loving yourself and don't need nobody else, We're sending you some show love and a special shout out to my Valentine, whose actual name is Valentine. Love you BJBZ. It's Friday, February fourteenth, and in honor of Valentine's Day, we'll be chatting with the co host of The Sports Gossip Show, Charlotte Wilder and Madeline Hill about NEPO Hubbies, relationship, medium launches, our faith, sportelebrity couples, and how their show challenges stereotypes for women in sports media. Plus unrivaled crowns The One Tonight League One Vibs is bringing young and seasoned volleyballers together and you slices send out some platonic Valentine's Day love. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back, Happy Friday. Here's what you need to know today. College athletics news. The NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics is recommending that flag football be added to the organization's Emerging Sports for Women program. The recommendation allows Divisions one, two, and three an opportunity to sponsor legislation that would move flag football closer to being considered for championship status. To officially hit that threshold, a sport must have at least forty schools sponsoring at at a varsity level and meet minimum contest and participation requirements. At the moment, at least sixty five NCAA schools are sponsoring flag at club or varsity levels. Flag football's popularity is growing rapidly across the country, with fourteen states sanctioning girls flag as a high school varsity sport, and it will also be contested at the LA twenty twenty eight Olympics. In college hoops news, TCU women's basketball star and former Oregon Dux player Sedona Prince is facing multiple allegations of sexual assault, domestic violence, and sexual misconduct now. Rumors of these allegations have been swrolling for months, but now there's reporting from The Washington Post Molly Hensley Clancy. Per her findings, the earliest claim dates back to twenty nineteen, and the most recent allegation came just last month, when Prince and anex had an altercation that resulted in both parties reporting domestic violence. Hensley Clancy story also notes that two of Prince's accusers were asked to sign non disclosure agreements. Prince's attorney, A. Boon Almanza, told the Post that the twenty four year old quote categorically denies that she has abused anyone in her life, whether mentally, emotionally, or physically, and that quote, unfortunately others have decided to use Sodona as a launch point for their careers end quote. Regarding the NDA's Almanza said quote. In an effort to create some relationship privacy, Sodona has asked girlfriends to sign non disclosure agreements because their personal intimate moments should not be the subject of public discussion. End quote. Prince is currently playing her last year of college basketball at TCU. She played for Oregon from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty two. She gained mass popularity on social media after posting a TikTok during the twenty twenty one NCAA tournament that brought attention to a lack of equity and facilities between the men's and women's tournaments. We'll link to that. Molly Hensley Clancy story in our show notes and keep you updated as we learn more about the situation. In WNBA news. Could a Charlotte expansion team be on the horizon? A bid has officially been submitted to bring a team back to the city. Erica Berman, an executive at financial services company card Works, is spearheading the bid, backed by the MNBA Charlotte Hornets. The Charlotte Sting was one of the original eight WNBA franchises, but folded after the two thousand and six season. Worth noting. Earlier this month, the WNBA filed a trademark application for the Charlotte Sting name, along with the Cleveland Rockers, Miami Soul, Houston Comets, and Detroit Shock Also, Commissioner Kathy Engelbert has expressed her desire for a sixteen team league by twenty twenty eight. League only needs one more to get there to unrivaled. Tonight's the night the League quote unquote crowns the one in its one on one tournament. The single elimination semi final round kicks off with the Leah Edwards versus Arigae Agunbowale at seven thirty Eastern, followed by Azaree Stevens versus NEFISA Collier at seven forty five, and the winners of those matchups will have very little time to catch their breath before meeting in the finals at eight pm Eastern, a best of three to crown the champ the first few or any indication things could get real spicy tonight. You can catch those games live on TNT and True TV. More hoops news. The mnba's Celebrity All Star Game is upon us, and some of our women's sports faves are suiting' up. Olympic Track and Field gold medalist Massi Russell, two time Atlanta Dream All Star Ali Shagray, and WNBA champion and Golden State Valkyries forward Kayla Thornton will all hit the court alongside their celebrity counterparts. That game tips off tonight seven pm Eastern on ESPN to lacrosse, there's one WL game on the slate Tonight. Round robin play continues in the Lexus Championship Series with the battle of one to oh teams. The California Palms face the New York Charging at six pm Eastern, streaming on ESPN plus. The semi finals of the Women's Lcross League series start on Sunday, and the final will be played on Monday. We'll link to that schedule in the show notes so you can tune in to pro vibs. The League One Volleyball Classics starts tonight. It's a three day tournament at Municipal Arena and Kansas City, and all six Love teams will compete Love Madison and Love Houston. Get Tonight's doubleheader started at five Eastern, followed by Love Austin and Love Salt Lake at eight pm Eastern. But before either of those matches, Love will hold a pro camp during the day with position specific training for juniors ages thirteen to eighteen and get this, college coaches will be allowed court side to recruit so much vibes and a super cool opportunity for the youngsters. We'll link to the game schedule for the weekend in our show notes. Back to the hardwood, there are two Monster College Hoops matchups coming up on Sunday. First, number seven Yukon rides their two game win streak into a big test against the number four South Carolina game Cocks. That one's at one pm Eastern on ABC, and no time to breathe because immediately following that game, number five LSU squares off against number three Texas, also on ABC. Get your popcorn ready. There's also a bunch of other ranked teams in action this weekend, so we'll link to the full schedule in our show notes. There's more vibes hockey and hoops going on tonight and over the weekend in the PVF, PWHL, and AU Pro Basketball, so we'll link to that comprehensive sports calendar from Slice Joey in our show notes, we got to take a quick break. When we come back, it's time to dish on all the hot goss with Charlotte Wilder and Madeline Hill see on the other side. It's been a while, y'all, but it's time for another group chat where we take the tea from the text and we bring it to the airwaves. Joining us now, she's co host of The Sports Gossip Show, a weekly podcast that gives you a courtside seat to the latest drama and most interesting news about athletes, leagues and teams. Formerly of Meadow Arc Media, Fox Sports, Sports, Illustrated, Sponation USA Today and more. She's got a substack called The Wilder Things, the Best Hair in the Game, and she enjoys tinned fish. It's Charlotte Wilder.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Sarah, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? Thank you joining her? The other co host of the Sports Gossip Show and writer of the newsletter in Personal Foul. She has previous stops at Ways, Hello, Sunshine, Entertainment Weekly, CIA, and more. She went back to school recently to get her Masters from Oxford, where she also did improv. She loves buttered noodles and fit checks. It's Madeline Hill. What's up, Madeline?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 4: Wow, the best intro we've ever heard. Also, the list of places I've worked is like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And I could have gone on, as you know, I stopped and I was like, I'm not going to.
Speaker 5: Say all yeah, no, thanks.
Speaker 1: I would like to do a separate show with you where we just do like pros and cons of every single place, and you're like, best cafeteria, worst colleagues, best HR policy, place to right. Yeah, well sure it.
Speaker 5: Would be interesting, absolutely, Sarah.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should wait until you change industries before we get too honest.
Speaker 4: Wait until I start my Florist cookbook store in Maine, and then I will tell you everything perfect perfect.
Speaker 1: I'm taking that as a promise down the road, when we're both washed and no one who cares anymore, we'll finally spill all the real tea beautiful. I love it. Madeline tell us how this show came to be the sports gossip show.
Speaker 2: So this show grew out of my sub second personal foul. I found that there was a gap in sports coverage that covered stories off the field. I always joked that I would look at the Wikipedia Personal Life section of athletes during sporting events because I was like, who are they married to, who'd they get divorced from? What weird endorsement deals do they have? What does their Instagram presence look like? And felt like no one was covering these very important topics that I needed someone to write about. So I was like, I'm gonna write about them myself, and so that started in twenty twenty. It kind of snowballed and grew from there, and then Charlotte actually wrote something for my newsletter. It was all about NBA gossip. I think it was around the NBA Finals.
Speaker 5: I think it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you asked it was like your favorite piece of gossip from the twenty four season, and I was like, well, obviously, when James Harden skipped Joel Embiid's wedding of course, yeah.
Speaker 1: Most important.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then we were on a two hour phone call and we're like, wait, I think we could turn this into a podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And had you met before?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Wow, I love that you just hit it up off. We just hit it off.
Speaker 2: And then we met in person for the first time in September, which is kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we started planning the show maybe June May June, because I think we both, you know, have been in entertainment and media long enough that when we got on the phone and there was the same level of like, Okay, you're buttoned up in this way, you want these certain things, like there's a professionalism that we both care about, and we were just like cracking each other up on the phone.
Speaker 5: We were like, you know what, let's just let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that. You know, Charlotte, one of the things I really love and respect about you is that you, since you entered the business, have been very willing to sort of stand in the face of some stereotypical criticisms of women that they aren't enough about x's and o's. You came in and you were like, I love sports. I also have never like studied them to be an expert. I just want to talk about the fun stuff, or I want to do really cool videos where I'm embedded with every college team and learning their traditions and I get to be in the marching band one day and a cheerleader the next. Like, there is so much of that that's allowed for men in this space, and for such a long time, there was a real fear as a woman in the industry that if you admitted to caring about things outside of whether that you know, Cover two worked, that people would doubt you and you wouldn't find a home. And you have always found a home and thrived at that. So this feels like such a natural space for you to enjoy. Well, I'm like going to tear up. That's so sweet, Sarah.
Speaker 4: I think I do think that that's you know, when I saw Madeline's newsletter, I was like, oh my god, she put a name to like what I've enjoyed doing the most in my career, which is sports gossip, which is the human side of this, and we you know, I I think like in twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen, I pitched an idea for a podcast called First Date, where I was like, for people who don't know sports but are going on a date with someone who loves sports, and for people who don't know pop culture but are going on a date with that, And all these mail execs were like, no one's going to listen to that, And so to see our show blow up with Madeline's brilliant has just been like the most validating.
Speaker 1: It's very validating. Yeah, Yeah, And I also think there's something to be said for how you do it. When I heard someone describe professional wrestling like WWE wrestling, not wrestling wrestling, as soap operas for men, I was like, yeah. And when we started talking about the NBA off season being more popular than the games because it was about which players were trying to woo, which guys to switch teams, and how free agency was working, and how men were essentially soaking that up the way women stereotypically soak up soap opera storylines. It's all about framing. When we talk about the things women like in sports, quote unquote women and it's all stereotypes and it's all you know, can't be categorized in such a way, but it has been. It's always with judgment. But on the men's side, it's like, oh, but they know they like that because it's like about sports. It's like, wa, wait, that's the exact same thing we're talking about. You're just raming it differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we always say sports news is just like a cover or for men to be it's okay for them to talk about gossip.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's socially acceptable gossip for men.
Speaker 1: Like that's what sport like trades.
Speaker 2: It is just like workplace drama that men are like, it's serious business, it's sports news, and it's like it's gossip in the same way the role Housewives as gossip exactly.
Speaker 4: Also, Sarah, something that I think I did your show in twenty nineteen, and you said something that has stuck with me, which is the idea of how women, at least of our generation, it felt like, stereotypically weren't socialized to need to know things about sports. And I think because before I started working in sports, like almost ten years ago now, I wasn't in sports, I remembered what it felt like to be cut out of those conversations. And so what we try to do is, you know, as we talk about the gossip as we talk about, you know, Bill Belichick and his twenty.
Speaker 1: Four year old girlfriend. We also talk.
Speaker 4: About the sport and the game and give qualifiers because so much of it's media for men feels like not for men. But that's kind of the undertone, right, like this is for guy and they don't qualify, and it's Andy Reid, it's not chiefs head coaching. Right, So many more people out than could come in if they just knew who these people were, right.
Speaker 1: We do that on our show a lot because we both have people who are diehard women's sports fans and people who want to know more, and so if it's the simplest reminding them which player, which team, which sport, using the full name instead of always the acronyms, and that allows them in, it's so worth doing. It's so funny you said that. I literally just did an interview where I was talking to someone about how, despite being like a three sport athlete obsessed with sports, no one ever talked to me about sports. I was not raised to no x's and o's, or play Madden or do any of the things. And it does make a difference. Okay, so on this show, we do love our sports goss, but because there is a dearth of legitimate, trusted sources for women's sports news every single day, and by that I mean we are the only one. We also have to sort of have a reputation for getting things right and it keeps us from running with rumors or getting like too deep into the weeds with personal stuff for players. But you're our guests, so it's only right.
Speaker 2: So you say we can say the alleged, so.
Speaker 1: We can have the conversations we want to have. Venness have it be about you saying it. I'd let you flex all those sports goss muscles to the fullest extent right here and especially today on Valentine's Day. So let's get into some stories that you've talked about on the show and maybe some you haven't. Your show covered the early days of Las Vegas acistar Asia Wilson and her Boo bam Audebio from the mnba's Miami Heat. You talked about them before they went public, and we have also been following along with them since the Winky Winky days to their more open love story and we have a nickname for them, Aposto bam uh.
Speaker 5: I love that. That's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is a both a punctuation joke and a reference to the apostrophe in her name, which is great. What do you make of him being the first to wear her signature shoe and again, Charlotte, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I mean we've talked about this in the context of we love a supportive boyfriend, we love a man who look Asian Wilson, MVP of the w NBA bam Adebio, not the MVP of the m NBA. Good player, but like, she is so many worlds better in her sphere than he is in his. That like, I think his not being threatened by that, his being supportive, his wearing her shoe, his showing up for her in these ways that typically you see women show up for their male you know, the people there in relationships with it is just like it's so good, it's so important, and it's just like, look how much more fun you can have when you're not threatened by your thread.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I reposted immediately. I was like, obsessed he's wearing the shoe. But then the part of me was like, is it bad that he got to wear her shoe in a game before she did?
Speaker 2: Oh, that isn't hmm, that's not great.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't know that. I think it's just chronological. She's not in unrivaled the wnbas and in season. So I allow it because I love that it's part of the promotional push. But part of me was like, oh my god, I'm obsessed. I love this, and I'm also like mmmm. And then we still had a man getting to wear the shoe. Hurst that's fair, but that was hardened because he was in a game against a guy wearing Sabrina shoe and I was like, yes, bitches, take it over. Snatt exactly. Y'all dug into Sandy Brondelo, the coach of the New York Liberty, having her husband as one of her assistant coaches. Arizona College women's basketball head coach Adia Barnes, her husband is an assistant on her staff as well. We love to see it. You considered calling these guys NEPO hubbies, but then you also solicited other ideas, Madeline, did you get any good ones?
Speaker 2: You know, we didn't get any NEPO hubby ideas. I feel like the narrative around the word NEPO is always with NEPO babies. But I do feel like it's time to change a narrative and let's have a conversation about more NEPO husbands in different industries, because I feel like the NEPO baby conversation is strictly in like the actor actress World Maya Hawk, Ethan Hawk's daughter Dakota Johnson, who's what's her name is, Donnie.
Speaker 1: Melanie Griffin, don Johnson.
Speaker 2: But I don't feel like there's enough of a conversation around the NEPO hubbies, and maybe even NEPO baby conversation in sports.
Speaker 1: I mean it comes there is for football because we're all aware that somehow, and and like NASCAR and racing sports, where everybody's somebody's son. In football, they're like somebody, actually, I can't remember who wrote like a pretty decent expose of the fact that every single lower level job at the NFL and college is somebody's like son or nephew, right, and how they're like they're like, women don't want the jobs, and it's like no, their pipeline is literally like having to have been born to you.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, no, Brian Schottenheimer failed to get a head coaching job and then just got one at the age of fifty because his dad was also I've read about that one, but there's a lot I love the NEPO hubby yeah role because like, in the same way that Bam is supportive of Asia, it's in your job description you were an assistant coach and she's the coach, right, so it means that something's got to be working there in a way where he's like, cool, yeah, I'm supporting you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There is a recent example though, of a NEPO hubby is Madison Keys, the tennis player who won the Australian Open. Her husband Bjorn is her coach, so that I feel like it is an interesting dynamic and also a NEPO hubby adjacent storyline.
Speaker 1: Right, because how are we to be sure that he's the most qualified, which is what we do for women every time they get a job by relationship to someone right is good at tennis.
Speaker 5: We can't even say his last name, so I.
Speaker 1: Don't know anything. I don't even know I don't even know l I don't know anything about Bijorn, and I don't want to slander him, but I do want to give him the same treatment that like every woman has ever gotten when she's hired for anything, Like, remember me when there was the first ever quality control coach in the NFL and everyone suddenly not only knew what a quality control coach did, but also knew she wasn't qualified despite having like thirteen years in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Right and like having quality control in her title. Yeah, that's her whole job, right, qualified to qualify?
Speaker 1: Thanks? Yeah, so sorry Bjorn, but like you have questions, right, questions. On one of our recent shows, we noted the retirement of Scottish soccer player Jen Betty and mentioned that she and US women's national team great Ali Kreeger medium launched their relationship on Instagram. Jen posted on her insta story around Thanksgiving, thankful for you, Happy Thanksgiving, My love at Ali Kreeger, and Ali reposted it and added, you have no idea how do we feel about Medium?
Speaker 2: I love a medium launch, especially because I feel like that medium launch in particular knowing the history obviously with Ashlan Harris, her ex wife, where I would argue that that relationship ended in a very public fashion. Ashland very quickly dated so Bush after we all know this. Sofia Bush wrote that big essay for Glamour that that was a very public extreme hard launch to the nth degree. And in contrast, Ali's like, I'm not doing that. I'm doing like a subtle medium launch on stories. I'll eventually hard launch in feed. I'm going to be a little bit more subtle about it because I'm going to kind of have the upper hand here. I feel like it's it's a power move. Is a medium launch, Yeah, yeah, like a medium launch.
Speaker 4: Everything is circumstantial, right, Like, And I think that there. I liked how organic this was where it's Thanksgiving and Jen, which is sort of a she's you know, from the UK. For her to say happy Thanksgiving is sort of playing on Ali's turf already because Ali's American, and you know, it's like, I'm just posting this on my Instagram because this is how I feel at the moment, right And and for Ali to then be like, you know what, I'm not going to do the thing where I'm scared of people finding out about us. I am going to repost your story tag and to put you have no idea is also a little bit of information for everybody out there where she's like, yeah, things were bad, now they're great without saying anything.
Speaker 5: It's a master class.
Speaker 4: I think Ali Kager has been a masterclass in public relations to this whole thing.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I hadn't thought about the Thanksgiving part. I also can picture them all like sitting around at the house and saying like, on Thanksgiving we all go around and say what we're thankful for and Jen being like, what a lovely tradition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thankful for you.
Speaker 1: And then you know what I mean like, and then that's spurring this sort of public acknowledgment. I do agree that Ali has mastered somehow silence at every turn when the natural instinct would be like, hold up, you are oversharing or you are getting to say your business and I'm not. But because she's been quote unquote winning throughout where most people have sort of sided with her in this split, her silence has just furthered the feelings of goodness towards her, whether fairly or not. Like just because listen, there's a Mindy Kaylee quote that was like, I'll never be mysterious. I talk too much. Like that's me, Like I could never medium or soft launch anything because I struggle to have any privacy. I'm just like, hey everyone, here's what I'm doing all the time. I want to know what you're doing, what's everyone else doing? Like I have a problem with that, and so I respect people who can do that, but especially in her case, where it's like there's so much being put out there about her and about their relationship, and by just being herself, this lovely, wonderful person that everybody cares for, it's like winning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I it's very interesting to me because like for our show, for our jobs, we need people to be messy, we need them to talk, we need them to really not be good at pr because also we do have an ethos where it's not you know, gossip is in the title, but it's not a salacious show. You know, we're not out there airing people's business or if someone is a private person, we're like, okay, god, but if you're talking, then it's a fair game to talk about you. And I my personal ethos is always like, don't say anything, and Allie's not saying anything.
Speaker 5: But then, but I don't want athletes to know that.
Speaker 4: We need them to keep talking, keeping and everybody.
Speaker 1: If everybody did that, it'd be so boring. So you're welcome. I'm not exactly messy, but I am always talking about while we're on the topic of launches soft, medium and hard Unrivaled player and New Phoenix Mercury player, saw too, sobbly hard launched a relationship that she's not in here she is doing an interview on the bench in the middle of an Unrivaled game. Take a listen. She was actually supposed to have off today and be you know what her girlfriend's Jersie retirement is about, Harrison. So, thank you so much Natasha that you just said. Okay, So, of course Saw to talking about Natasha Cloud and then Isabelle Harrison. So what are the rules on hard launching someone else's relationship for them? Charlotte, Oh, you don't do it.
Speaker 4: Although it is funny that Unrivaled that which is in Miami, and it is like Miami is the hub of other people hard launching other people's relationships because the mayor of Miami accidentally hard launched Asia dam when she gave them the key of the city.
Speaker 5: Like someone's in the water.
Speaker 2: Something they know that heart Okay, I think yeah, definitely a lot of okay, yeah, definitely a hard pass on hard launching someone else's relationship without their permission. I mean that is, unless you're Perez Hilton, which I don't think Perez Hilton should be.
Speaker 1: Doing that either. Well, that's a name from the past throwback.
Speaker 2: I'm like, don't do that unless you have been given permission, don't do that. And also I feel like that goes against media training one on one what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: People? Yeah? What are we doing?
Speaker 5: She that was a good idea.
Speaker 4: I would have been so mortified if I were sat. She probably felt so bad.
Speaker 1: She probably thought it was like out or like didn't realize that, Like the way they talked about it around the dinner table at Unrivaled didn't mean that everybody knew. Yeah, oh my god, hilarious. See. I would say in general, probably don't launch other people's relationships, although again, please keep doing it. Ye stop.
Speaker 5: It's also for us don't do it, but don't not do it right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if y'all have ever listened to Jocular. It is an absolutely hilarious podcast about women's sports hosted by three queer folks, and they suggested that they would like to see an Unrivaled singles show, a reality show taking place in Miami during the eight week season. They rattled off like as many of the queer participants that they could find and guessed at a percentage well above fifty percent, and thought it would be fun to film. This is in arguably a fantastic idea. I'm not going to ask you your opinion. We can all agree that we would watch this. My question is there a better league for this? Because I think if I give you Unrivaled, I would struggle to have you top a better league for the in season reality dating.
Speaker 4: Show, I think, I mean, I would kill for that for the wa But because Unrivaled is in one place, it's it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's perfect. It's a perfect setting. I don't think there's anything better. No, No, I think that's it.
Speaker 1: And it's Miami.
Speaker 2: So again, yeah, they're going out, they're.
Speaker 1: Going out, they're going club, and everyone's wearing as little clothes as possible because it's hot out.
Speaker 2: It's Miami, it's Miami, it's twenty all the time.
Speaker 1: It just feels that feels right. But I would also watch a women's footy version of this show.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was going to say that that would be my second one. I feel like if they were going to do a women's soccer version, I actually think i'd like it more during the World Cup. Yeah, same, because they're all kind of in one place. I mean, I want a dating show about the Olympic village, period.
Speaker 1: Of course, they would all have to be after competition ends. I don't know anyone that's messing up their Olympic dream for some tale, So let me show that tale. Like all the Olympians I've talked to and I have had these conversations. That's like one of the first things I ask Olympian friends is like, I just congrats on whatever boat. Tell me about the Olympic village and the condoms and how much sex you had and were they from your team or did you find athletes from another team? And they have the best stories from after they compete. They always like to stick around a couple extra days for the extracurriculars.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what's interesting me about the idea of this unrivaled dating show is that it would get things would bleed onto the court in a way that like, and I'm sure they already are like, I'm sure some of this is clearly happening, but like I feel like the league would be like, yeah, no.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna we can't.
Speaker 4: This is a little too close to our actual product, and.
Speaker 1: If they knew we were watching it, they might get a little messier. Like if they know now it's behind the scenes, they have to pretend on the court, whereas if they know it's out there, then it's like, you know.
Speaker 4: I did see a tweet yesterday before the Super Bowl where someone was like, I wish that sports were like reality shows where they have confessionals halfway through, So like you could do that with Unrivaled, Like you could see it, you know, halftime, and you take one of them aside and you're like so and she's like, well, I had to pass the ball. We're in a fight, and I'm pissed. But she scored, so I guess that's good.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of like those a brilliant idea. Yeah, yeah, they already do the in game interviews with coaches. Yeah, I just add another layer to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 1: This is a brilliant idea. And I'm sure they were thinking about that because they were doing close ups of all the players on the Chiefs as they were getting absolutely routed.
Speaker 4: Right, it's Chris Jones just crying and yeah, you know, someone said Patrick Mahomes looked like a haunted porcelain doll like this dick in his eyes.
Speaker 5: We said, he looked like you saw a ghosts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that confessional midway through, so you're getting you're getting beat like thirty three to nothing. It would be incredible, It would be good. Okay, So the women's soccer show that would work for that is the off season. Midge Purse executive producer and was a member of the players that were in this house again in Miami. I don't know if you watched it, but it was fantastic. Not a lot of like, you know, the dating stuff in there, but we could bump that up on purpose. And during that show they actually talked about a chart that a fan made showing the links between players who have dated in women's soccer. Just a taste of this. You can plug in a player's name and then it shows them like a circle with all all the lines to planets around them that they have either dated or their ex or they're married. Australia Sam Kerr currently engaged to US player Christy Mwis, whose ex is England's Rachel Daily, who apparently has the thing for fellow soccer players because she's got all sorts of exes on the board. So Christy mwis is current girlfriend and ex girlfriend faced off in the semi finals. Is the last World Cup, with England ultimately getting to win. But Sam Kurr's ex American pro player Nikki Stanton dated Meghan Rappino's twin Rachel, who also dated friend of the show mery At Matthias. Also Meghan Rappino and Abby Wombach dated. Where was I what? Okay?
Speaker 4: You just blew our You just got to sit the first time a whole episode for you? You know this is so you sent us this link before the show. I hadn't seen it, and I typed in Ali Krieger and my mind exploded because Jen Batty, she's got a couple ex'es on there, like especially the older the players are, the more time they've had to So no, this, what you just said was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that for every every league?
Speaker 1: Could we do you imagine fair or foul though? Making charts like that? First of all, Madeline, if the connections are based off rumors, do we need to have a different color line or like a squiggle?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think a squiggle because that feels more questionable.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like a little bit more fair, Like, we know we're a little bit pushing it by post by posting this rumor, but also we're telling you it's a rumor, take it with a great assault.
Speaker 2: But I think they should be included. Yeah, yeah, because it is important for cultural.
Speaker 1: History, yeah, anthropological reasons. Yes, But Charlotte, what if we don't know if the players are out or.
Speaker 4: Not, that is probably not great because that should be something that is completely on their terms. So I guess if there's a rumor that involves someone who you're not sure how public they are about their sexuality, maybe we hold.
Speaker 1: Off or slide to their DMS and be like, pardon me, yeah, are you comfortable with acknowledgment that you are queer by gay? Whatever?
Speaker 5: Can I put you on this chart?
Speaker 4: And they'd be like what They're like, no, please, don't put me on a chart, on any chart.
Speaker 5: I don't care what I am.
Speaker 1: But what if you were single and you were struggling to meet someone and you were like, maybe if.
Speaker 4: I'm on the chart, Oh yeah, I think that chart probably has facilitated more relationships than we realized.
Speaker 2: Or if someone is looking into someone they're newly dating and they're like, let me see who else they dated. I can reference a chart.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine if you had that chart just for people like you in your own life, in your own life, if you're like, oh this, like, oh god, that sounds.
Speaker 1: I didn't need it. I met like seven people my husband used to date, like within the first two months of dating. I'm like, what's your deal? Like why are they all always wherever we are? And then I was like mad because I'm like, damn, I dated all my people in California, so you don't have to run into any of them, right, And then later one of them started working next to our apartment building. I was like, I didn't mean to manifest that that was Yeah, it was fun. It all worked out. But my husband's just very tall, and he acknowledges that like in your twenties, if you're a nice person and you're really tall, like you're just gonna you're gonna get a lot of dates as a do.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the way heterosexuality works for them. There's a whole uh don't like the guy, but the bit was good. Louis c k bit of like, if you're a tall dude, you just walk into a party and be like Uh, yeah, who wants to be like this is that simple? Anyway? This chart is truly mind blowing to your point. Uh, I can't, I can't decide. If we'll put it in our show notes, you'll find it. You'll be able to find it yourself without us facilitating your access to it, and you could plug in some names and see. I'm also fascinated by people who have just very wildly different taste because that's also my dating history. Like if you did line them all up on a chart, you'd be like interesting, yeah, no, tall, every kind of ethnicity, every kind of whatever. And there are certain people on the chart that you're like, oh cool, equal opportunity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can tell very quickly if someone has a type from that chart. From that you can you can also the tech behind it kind of blows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's someone code that chares.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. I love gosh, this is this is the best possible Valentine's Day conversation we could have. Do you guys have any new, fresh and steamy goss that you haven't even talked about on your show or that you want to break right here on the show.
Speaker 4: Oh god, Uh, I think we kind of emptied the Chamber.
Speaker 2: We do always talk about Jordan Hudson, but I don't know if you are. Are you well versed with Billeck's girlfriend?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, and I'm troubled for both of them.
Speaker 2: We are exactly sure what's going on. But I think what's been more interesting, and we were just talking about this, is that she was in the Dunkin Donuts super Bowl commercial with Ben Affleck, which is just such an incredible ascension to be in a super Bowl ad with Ben Affleck.
Speaker 4: Yes, the okay, the Boston and me like imploded in on itself when I saw that, because I was like, also.
Speaker 5: Didn't know Jeremy Strong was from Boston, didn't either, wild.
Speaker 4: But I think that there is she We said this on the show after the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: But she's playing the game and she's winning it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: For those who don't know, this is a twenty four year old I want to say, grad student.
Speaker 5: It's unclear.
Speaker 1: It's unclear. Maybe I'm just thinking that because there are a lot of jokes about how Bill Belichick took a college job so that he could get her into the school. Yeah, and so maybe that none of that is real. But Bill Belichick is seventy two former longtime head coach of the New England Patriots, multiple times Super Bowl winner, was it one time considered one of the greatest coaches of all time, but then since they sucked after Tom Brady left and Tom Brady won without him, now there's a lot of questions about who is really responsible for all their success. But anyway, notoriously curmudgeonly and is dating this twenty four year old girl who is like publicity hound. So in all the clips you see where they're not staged for a commercial or something else or a photo where he's like reading off Taylor's swift lyrics or doing other things that seem in congress to who he would be if he was not dating this twenty five year old he looks sad and angry, and she's posing for photos.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she yeah, she is performing. She is performing for those cameras every chance she gets.
Speaker 4: We think she's executing on a plan here with.
Speaker 1: A little better playbook than Bill.
Speaker 5: Truly, she's calling the show.
Speaker 4: She's on the offensive, and it's working, and it's working, working, and it's working, and it's just wild to see the difference. As Madeline said on our show, Bill's just down bad he's down bad.
Speaker 1: He's down bad. Somebody said, it's nice to see Bill Belichick getting his granddaughter, I mean girlfriend a job in the new Duncan commercial. Now listen age is just a number. Well sure, but also for me you said she's winning, yes, in some aspects. And also what I always think about, and this is a mean thing to think, but I'm just gonna to, you know, be honest, since this is the Sports Gossip Takeover and I'm a completely different host at this moment. What I always think about when I think about, like cool for them, they're in the dunkin ad and they're getting to do all these cool things and they're getting to be famous. Is at the end of the day, this game ends with you having sex with a seventy two year old man. And I don't want to win that game. No, I would rather lose the game. I don't. I don't want to be in the game. I don't. Yeah, I'd rather even play the game.
Speaker 5: No game she is.
Speaker 4: She's winning the game that she is playing for herself, is how I would put it. She set out, she made a little board game, and she's playing it, and.
Speaker 5: The rest of us might not play that game. I also do.
Speaker 4: I just I can't help but feel for Bill Belichick's ex, Linda Holiday, who he was with since two thousand and seven. Bill met Jordan in twenty twenty one, and Linda and Bill broke up in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: And it's like the timeline.
Speaker 4: I don't know, and so I and she, you know, she was around, she was we had to Bill Belichick Foundation together for you know, and.
Speaker 1: He has three kids. I guarantee they're all older or older there, I am. Yeah, that's listen to your point. It's a sort of hate the game, not the player. So I do hate that game, and yet the player is thriving in it, And anyone who plays that game has to clearly not have that big of a problem with the whole sex, with the old person part of it, which for me would be the reason I don't get in the game.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I think we're all on the same page.
Speaker 4: The reason I would not pass go I would not collect two hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: On this show, we always tell people we wanted to get in the game every day, but not this game. No, feel free to pass on this. Everybody, go listen to the Sports Gossip Show as you can tell these two co hosts are a blast and they're giving you all the good stuff that some of which we can't talk about here, but we sure got into a lot of it. Thank you both for joining us. This was super fun.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. Sarah. We love what you're doing. Love the show. And anytime you need someone else to say stuff.
Speaker 1: We're here. Oh yeah, oh, this will be perfect. We'll have a segment where I just outsourced things that I want to say and then you guys pop in and.
Speaker 5: Say, yes, yeah, exactly. Just text us be like can you say this and this, and.
Speaker 4: We're like, absolutely, I heard a rumor from Sarah exactly.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having us. Thanks ladies, Thanks so much to Charlotte and Madeline for joining us. So fun. We got to take another break. When we come back, we hear all about who use slices? Want to send love to this Valentine's Day, don't go anywhere. Welcome back slices. It's time for another What the fact we mentioned in yesterday's show that the US Department of Education released a statement announcing that Title nine does not apply to name image and likeness deals. We're sending the Biden administration's guidance that schools must equitably distribute direct payments to male and female athletes. Now this is especially important because of the upcoming payments ESPN's PAULA. Levine quote. The NCAA and its power conferences have agreed to allow each school to share up to twenty and a half million dollars in direct payments to its athletes via NIL deals as one of the terms of appending antitrust settlement. Many major college athletic departments plan to distribute the majority of that money to athletes and sports that generate the most revenue, mostly football and men's basketball players, leaving a small portion, often less than five percent, to women's sports end quote. So this Trump administration ruling makes the world of NIL, which has already disproportionally served mail athletes, even more lopsided, just as more big money is entering the space. According to a Front Office Sports article in October of last year, quote, among the twelve schools publicly disclosing NIL earnings by gender, menifirmed ninety two million dollars compared to women's nineteen million dollars, with some institutions like Texas A and M reporting ninety eight percent of NIL deals going to men's sports. End quote. This is, of course, even though we know that there's research that shows that women athletes will work harder for their brands, care more about the product that they put out, have a better brand affinity and ability to sell for those brands, and are at their peak earning during their college years. The disparity and institutional support the sports specific collectives for things like football and men's basketball working only for those athletes, and the plan to distribute money unequally between men's and women's sports teams violate the principles of Title nine, even if the law couldn't explicitly speak to things like nil when it was written fifty years ago. This is bad Trump administration. So much for supporting women's sports. Huh, what the fact? This what the fact? Brought to you by elf Beauty. And here's another fact. Elf Beauty's recent report shows that gender diverse boards lead to positive business results. SMP five hundred companies with above average gender diversity on their boards saw a fifteen percent boost in return on equity and a fifty percent drop in earning's risk over a year. You can read the full report at elfbeauty dot com. Slash not so white paper. All right, slices. You might recall that a few days ago we asked you to send us platonic Valentine voicemails about your favorite women's sports figures, and y'all did not disappointed. There are way too many to play them all, but here are a few of our faves. First up, Amy from Maine.
Speaker 7: This year, I'm sending Valentines to Stei and Fee for creating Unrivaled. I absolutely love it. It is getting me through the winter. I'm grateful to them for creating it.
Speaker 1: We are grateful to them too. All right, here's Amanda from Denver.
Speaker 8: I would like to send my Valentine's love out to for her college women's basketball coach, Vivian Stringer. When I was sixteen, I was in a car accident and I sustained a spinal cord injury, and at that time I was being recruited to play college basketball. She was coaching at the University of Iowa, and while I was in the hospital, she sent me a handwritten letter with a note of encouragement. Due to my injury, it was pretty clear that I wasn't going to be a archive or return to playing the game. That I really loved that she took the time to do this. Her kindness that she showed in that letter really lifted me up. And to this day I still have that letter and pull it out the time or two when needed to motivate me to, you know, keep that great at the gym. And this is in a sense why I am so dedicated and love women's supports so much, is that I think personal realities and people like her still exist in her out there even though she's retired.
Speaker 1: Big fans of coach Stringer over here too. Her memoir Standing Tall, a Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph, is one of the books on our Good Game Book Club list. You should read it if you haven't already. Moving on, let's hear from.
Speaker 6: Jacob Hi Sarah, I'm the biggest how her Felt fan on the Internet, and I wanted to give my Valentine platonically to her. I wanted to tell her how much he inspires me and how proud I am of her and her accomplishments both with the Spirit and with the national team. And I can't wait to see her do even more great things going forward.
Speaker 2: All right, last Valentine, my name is Veron roh.
Speaker 3: My platonic roundtany is for Katie Radeki. My mom bought me her book Just add Water because she says, I'm happy as skipped and chlorine. I started this season with the goal of getting one race two silvery time, and I'm close. I've got four grand and I found out yesterday my coaches are moving me up levels anyway, Kaye has to work two day goals and I am y'all.
Speaker 1: Can you believe the Diana Ross called into the show and she's got endless love for Katie Ledecki. Turn up the sunshine, y'all. What a treat. Thanks again for sending us those voicemail slices. We know we asked for those specifically, but don't be afraid to send them just any time when there's something on your mind. We love to hear from you, and if you're come with it, let us know your name and where you're from. We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day. If you had the power of a production company behind you, what league or sports dating show would you want to watch? Get creative with it. You could email us at good Game at wondermedianetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two o four fifty seventy and oh wow, what's that phase four? Do you have one?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: I definitely do. I want to see a show about all of the relationships between US and Canadian women's hockey players for people that are new to the space. Maybe you don't know this, but like the US and Canadians they hate each other, like so much they hate each other, and yet we have at least three relationships between players that played for their respective teams and then married or dated across the border.
Speaker 1: Had kids, And like, that's a good one.
Speaker 10: I want to see it kind of like a reality show. But I would also really settle for a daytime drama like with reenactments and like.
Speaker 1: Riah, oh boy, oh pucks and gay shit. We do need some more coverage on that, Like the rivalry between country is so much bigger than just like playing on different WNBA teams. Like that is good. I want to see that too. All right, y'all, don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's really easy. Watch the voice memo we got from Slice Joey's Daughter Melina rating five out of five Heartbursts review. As soon as we heard it, we just knew it needed its own section in the show. Listen to this.
Speaker 9: Hello, my name is Melina Melamelo. I'm ten years old and i'd like to wish a very happy Valentine's Day to Skylee Diggan Smith. She's my favorite basketball player and I hope to be as talented as something.
Speaker 1: Well, Melina, you've got a fan in me, and I've got no doubt that you can be like SDS. You could do anything you put your mind to, and the platonic Valentine's weren't supposed to be a competition, but you win. Thanks for sharing. Now it's your turn to rate and review. Thanks for listening. See you next week. Good Game, Charlotte and Madeline. Good Game are platonic slice Valentines. You people who put women's sports media members in a box. Like Miley Cyrus said, we can't be tamed. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain