Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Pull up, everybody. So I'm at the Yankee game and Kyrie just opted in, which makes most of today's show that we recorded a few hours ago absolutely So we're still gonna run it because what else are we gonna run? And you can hear my thoughts on what could possibly happen if Kyrie didn't opt in. Plus we play a game that's on. We talked some Draymond. There's some non Kyrie stuff, but a lot of what we talked about from today's pod is now movement is Kyrie opted in? Okay, talk to you guys in a couple of days. Yesterday I had lunch with Maverick. You know, Maverick owns part of Liverpool, and we had like a fifteen minute discussion about European soccer that I was totally locked in on thanks to FIFA. I was like, oh no, Liverpool lost Mayonnai it's you know, he's a great left wing but they've got tads coming up behind him. Talked about composer. How am I opposer because of FIFA? I know the players and I know the teams. I know who's good.
Speaker 3: No, fair enough, because I'm gonna play a card very similar to that at some point.
Speaker 4: What's that career? O my podcast career, what's the card? You know it's you don't have to know the card, but you.
Speaker 2: Think call of duty is gonna come up. You're gonna talk about gun glasses. Welcome in another episode What's Right with Nick Right The podcast and YouTube show like rate Subscribe Review, We continue on Sundays our countdown of the fifty grades players last fifty years. We just came out with players nine and eight Shaquille O'Neal and Aqueima LaJuan. We actually debated that on the television show Today. You know, one of the reasons we debated is because it's a great debate. The other reason we debated it is not a lot going on in the old sports world right now, my friend, which is one of the reasons why Draymond Green is already in reruns. But we will discuss him. I assume at some point during today's show that is my son Demonse, who was also the cost of the show. We now have sixteen minutes for the first second, as we're doing sixteen minute A block, ten minute B block, four minute C block. That's a tight thirty minute show in full and I'm going to hit the clocks now that I have added it was ten minutes and twelve minutes now at sixteen. But before we even start the show, let's get to what we are not this discussing on today's show. What did not make the cup for today's show is Arch Manning going to the Texas Longhorns the Thunder drafting two different Jalen Williams is what are the odds of that? And Kendall Jenner and Devin Bookers splitting up. Oh, that could be big news for you, my friend, if she has a type. Now, let's get to the actual. Let's get to the actual show them, say what are we starting with today?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: Man, Kyrie and the Nets are reportedly at a standstill as far as negotiations. Kyrie has a list of six teams that he would like to go to. Yeah, and the Lakers are on that list.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is there a team that is a Kyrie Irving away from a championship? Yeah? The Lakers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like you are secretly praying that Kyrie goes to the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Well, it seems like it mrobab be the best for all parties in the wall. I now, did you see this? I'm sure I don't. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm guessing you didn't. It just came out a few hours ago, Okay, from Joe Varden in the Athletic quote the Nets should not consider a trade with the Lakers unless it is Irving and Ben Simmons for us and Anthony Davis, oh, who first proposed that trade a week ago? Here, guy nick Wright, that was a real trade I made. And Colin Coward laughed at me. All these Chris Mannis said, why do all of nick Wright's trades just work out for Lebron? All these things now, all of a sudden. It's on the athletic Joe Varden is promoting it. Here's what I know. The Lakers need spacing, they need shooting, and they need somebody who is other than Anthony Davis that still theoretically should be in their prime. Kyrie checks all those boxes. Now. The only way that they can easily get Kyrie is if he walks and plays for them for the mid level exception, which is six million dollars. That wouldn't sound plausible except for it's Kyrie Irving we're talking about. And what do we also know about Kyrie Irving When he's with Lebron he can win at the highest levels. When he's not, he's never played in a game pass Round two. That's just in Boston. The one year he was on the team and they made Round three. He didn't play in the playoffs in Brooklyn. They haven't made a pass Round two with him. And so the Nets are in a tricky spot. And we're gonna talk more about their future with Durant in just a moment. But I understand the Nets not wanting to give Kyrie Irving a five year MAX contract guaranteed, given how he's conducted himself, given how little he's been available to play one hundred and three of the two hundred and twenty six games. But they also have Kevin Durant going into year sixteen. They have this team where they don't have any of their future picks. The idea of oh, we'll take a step backwards, that to me is illogical. So they're in this tricky place, and anybody else, any other player in the league, the threat of going to the Lakers for six million dollars would be simply a hollow threat. Kyrie Irving, who gave up close to twenty million dollars to not get a vaccine that more than one billion people have gotten. Kyrie Irving, who gave up his Nike contract because he trashed the shoes on Twitter. Kyrie Irving has made a lot of decisions that financially don't make a ton of sense. And I know he and Lebron have reconciled. I know that, I know Lebron would sign off on it. And you know, I've been saying for a long time Kyrie for Russ. That was back when Kyrie wasn't playing for the Nets and they were getting nothing out of that roster spot. I don't think the Nets would be interested in it. I don't think the Nets would be interested in helping facilitate this. But if Kyrie goes to them and says, I am leaving, I am walking away, I'm going to sign for the six million. Do you want to do a sign in trade? Then they have real decisions to make. And then it gets very common complicated with Durant, which I think we're gonna talk about right here.
Speaker 4: Go ahead to see Russ play with Katie again.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Kyrie and a couple of I mean Russ and a couple of picks for Kyrie.
Speaker 2: It would be incredibly fun, man, It would be. It would be. And by the way, we have seen Russ and Harden together in Houston. We have seen Harden and Durant together in Brooklyn. The one we haven't seen is Russ and Katie together. Now. I don't think Brooklyn would want it. I don't know that k D would want it. You know, Russ is not the player he was in twenty sixteen, and in twenty sixteen Katie walked away from him. But the Kyrie thing, one other thing on the Kyrie thing. The Nets turned their entire franchise over to them. To him and kat they let them. They said, we want DeAndre Jordan. They did it. They were pissed Kenny Atkinson wasn't starting DeAndre Jordan. They end up firing Kenny Atkinson. They wanted Steve Nash. They hired Steve Nash. They wanted them to trade for James hard and they traded for James Harden. They said, you're not gonna be able to be a part time player. They then flip flopped and said you can be a part time player. Now, all of a sudden, they want to get strict. That's hard, man. It's hard to operate one way, make someone think you're going to have carte blanche. Kyrie at the end of the season says he's gonna sit down with Joe Sien Sean Marks and plot the future of the franchise. And now they're like, we're not even gonna give you the contract you think you deserve. We're drawing a line. It It's easy to do that if that's what you've been doing from the beginning. It's much more difficult to change course. And I do wonder what it's gonna mean for Durant, which I think we're gonna talk about right here.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Katie is also causing a stir up in Brooklyn. He's upset that the front office didn't quote unquote grow to understand Kyrie Irving yep, just talk that Durant could walk and possibly get the biggest trade package in the NBA in NBA history.
Speaker 4: Will the Nets be Ben Simmons team here shortly.
Speaker 2: Well, that's their concern. So this is why they are playing a very dangerous game with Kyrie, because listen, if Kyrie were to say I'm leaving, I don't think KD would demand to trade immediately. I think kat would play out this year. But I think if they lose Kyrie for nothing or next to nothing, or just a minimal return, that doesn't help them win. I think Katy would play this year and then next year ask out, and over the next five seasons, their draft pick either goes directly to the Rockets or the Rockets have the ability to swap picks with the Nets. So if the Nets have a better pick, the Rockets say we get it and you get ours. So if the Nets over the next five years bottom out, they get no benefit of it. They don't own their own draft rights, which is the exact situation they were in after they traded for Pierson Garnet and then Piers only played. Piers played two years for them, Garnett only played one year for them. They never made past Round two with those guys, and all of a sudden they're out in the desert for a half decade trying to rebuild their team while Jalen Brown and Jason Tatum, who were their draft picks but Boston ended up getting them because Boston had their draft owned all their draft rights. They're now putting themselves to be in that exact same position, which is why, as batch crazy as it sounds, I might give Kyrie Irving the full max because the nuclear winter is if Kevin Durant asks out and you don't have your picks? Yeah, now, yes, Would you get a good trade package for Kevin Durant, Of course you would. Would it be the biggest package ever? I don't think so, because if we're talking about Kevin Durant asking out when he's in his mid to late thirties, I don't think you would get I think you'd get unbelievable trade package, but nothing. You don't have any young players on your roster as is, other than cam Thomas. You don't have any draft picks, you don't have a ton of financial flexibility. You've got this Ben Simmons contract. And that's the other thing. If I were Kyrie Irving, I'd be say, be like, guys, you don't want to give me a max. You essentially gave Ben Simmons a MAX when you traded for him, and he's on a MAX contract. He never played for you. So the Durant thing is super fascinating, and that is Kyrie's single best piece of leverage, because I don't think Kyrie necessarily wants to leave because he likes being at home. He lives in New Jersey's from New Jersey. He likes that part of it. But the idea that Durant might say, this is not what I signed up for, and that there's just a lot of things the Nets have done that if they had to do over again, obviously they would have done the opposite. The Harden trade ends up being a total disaster, not only because you only got one season out of hard and essentially right, and I understand you got Ben Simmons back, and not only because you traded Jared Allen, who made an All Star team Krislovert, who can score you. You gave away your depth, but you also gave away all The reason they don't have those draft picks is not because of the Kyrie or KD acquisitions. It's because of the Harden trade. If they hadn't made the Harden trade and they had their own draft picks, the idea of Kyrie walking and trading Durant and you know, bottoming out temporarily wouldn't be so terrified.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 2: But you don't have those picks anymore. So the Harden trade was a massive mistake. I believe hiring Nash was a massive mistake. And I believe flip flopping on the Kyrie part time player thing is one of the reasons Harden asked out, and I think that was a massive mistake. So they've made all these massive errors. And if it leads to then finally drawing a line in the sand on Kyrie, which then leads to Durant saying I don't want to be here, talk about fumbling the bag. It'd be an all time screw up from a team that was the Vegas favorite in back to back years to win the whole thing. All right, what's next?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 3: Ryan Windhorse says, the Cavs maybe quietly trying to clear cap space. Yeah, if they don't re sign and Sexton, maybe they're going for Lebron. Yeah, what do you think the chances are that Lebron and Bronni end up in Cleveland?
Speaker 2: Well, so listen, this we're talking about not for this coming year, but for next year, because right now Lebron's contract with the Lakers only goes one more season. And when you survey the landscape of teams with young players that are you know, on the uptick that could be a championship Corps. Darius Garland was an All Star. Evan Mobley is going to be awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, it should have been a Rookie of the Year this past year. No disprect to Scottie Barnes. Evan Mobley was sensational. And so there's I'll get to the Bronni part in a moment. But the questions like multi layer, The first question is with what you think Mobiley's gonna be in two years, what Garland's going to be in two years? Is Lebron going to be good enough in two years two? Well no, because they would sign him out right, they would keep them those guys. Is he gonna be good enough with those two guys to win a title? Where if Lebron's your best guy, Evan Mobley's your second best guy, and Darius Carlin's your third best guy, is with is that team good enough to win the title? And the answer to that is yes, if Lebron stays close to the level at he was this past year, especially who's thirty points, eight rebound, six assists on great efficiency. But we're asking Lebron now to do that in year twenty one in the league. He turns thirty eight this season, So in the year he turns thirty nine, that's a big ask, So a really big ask. The other thing that I think every team needs to understand, and this is the Bronni part of it. Bronni theoretically will be draft eligible, not next year's draft, but the draft after that. So we're talking about for year twenty two, Lebron, So this year coming up to your twenty's gonna be with the Lakers. You're twenty one, we're talking about maybe gonna be with the Cavs. Your twenty two is Bronni's draft eligible year if he's a one and done. I believe Lebron, whatever contract he signs and with whoever he signs it after this coming season, is going to sign a one year deal because he wants to be a free agent when Bronni comes into the league, if for no other reason then to greatly incentivize a team to overdraft Bronni knowing he'll be a package deal with it. So there's that element of it. The other element, and to me, that's an interesting question, is this how much money does Lebron want to get paid? So he's been a MAX guy every year of his career. Obviously he's still obviously a super MAXI guy.
Speaker 3: Take a lot less money for a chance at the championship team and a chance.
Speaker 4: To play with his son.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he would take less for a chance to play with Bronni. But I'm talking about this little small window, but for not this coming year, but the year after, when Bronni's going to be a freshman in college. The question is, is Lebron, let's say he this year has another amazing season where he's like twenty eight, seven and seven, that is a MAX level player. Will he take less though, in order to build the best team around him wherever he goes. And maybe the most interesting part of the will he take less? Is this my whole life. Guys who take less gets so much plaudits and applause for it. Tim Duncan took less, Team Guy, Dirk took less, Team Guy. Tom Brady part of his legend, he takes less. I mark this tape. I guarrant damntee it. If Lebron James takes less to go somewhere, you know what the commentary will be. Oh, stack in the deck, Oh yeah, Oh you can't win straight up. Oh you gotta tell you make it as easy as possible billionaire. Yeah, absolutely, and so all of those. But the fact that Wendy is saying they're clearing cap space makes it sound like Lebron's plan is not to, you know, go in on the veterans minimum somewhere and sign up for a team that's already ready to go. All right.
Speaker 3: Last, Draymond, everybody knows about your back and forth with Katie, but his former teammate Draymond Green and started calling you out too. He did last week, and then he doubled down them this weekend.
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: I think we can play it right, let's play it, and then I'll respond on.
Speaker 4: The old pod.
Speaker 5: Nicholas, Right, how you doing a lot of hot takes? You admitted the other day we make hot takes, analyzed the game. My man Lebron could go one for nineteen, Nick Wright gonna say he he made one shot and he was the best player on the floor. What happened to the days of again analyzing the game honest opinions?
Speaker 4: Back to your boy, Nicholas.
Speaker 5: You spoke all of that stuff about Andrew Wickins, You spoke all of that stuff about how the Warriors were done, and like we never win again and Stephani needs to leave Golden Stadium, blah blah blah. And then once you're wrong, you then try to go on TV the other day or whatever you are on and saying that's what we do.
Speaker 4: We make hot takes. Enough.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, you're wrong, brother. You gotta stand on that. Those I takes don't just get the roll off. See that's what y'all accustomed to. I'd say, to make these asinine statements and then once I'm done, it's just over. No no, no, no, no, you got to stand on that. Changing your opinion in the middle of this no, no, no, brother, stand on that. Stand on your word. It's important to stand on that, not just flipping and flopping and all this.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, so here's what what do you stand for? Okay, So here's a few things. First of all, Draymond still thinks I switched to the.
Speaker 4: Warriors from the Yeah, which is pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Raymond also is very confused on me saying we don't analyze the games. I obviously never said that, and I'm doing a whole the fifty parts series on NBA history. But here's the other thing Draymond is learning.
Speaker 4: I think we'll go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think Draymond's learning that he's not gonna win another finals. And then he's got it just sulk in this moment.
Speaker 2: That's not what he's learning. And I lied. I guess we're not going to hit the clock today. Next Draymond ruined it. It was a longer sound by than I expected. Here's what Draymond's learning.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, This content creation business, it keeps going on every day even if there's no sports going on, and Draymond is now already in reruns the stand on it, Nick writes Andrew Wiggins opinion, Oh this this got some traction when I did it two weeks ago. Let me run it back. Of course, it's because he's got nothing to say, because Draymond, Draymond does a little basketball talk. But what Draymond really is is not a basketball analyst. He's a media critic. And Draymond is running out of people and he's running out of content, and so he's like, all right, let me rerack this, let me rerack the nick right take. And you know what, my new shine of paint and my new code of paint. I'm gonna call him Nicholas. That'll throw him for a loop. So this idea, he keeps saying, stand on it. Here's the deal. No one has ever owned an incorrect take more than I owned the Andrew Wiggins take. I'm the one that tweeted it back out for the world the moment the Warriors beat the Maps. I never ran from it. But this idea that there is some that there should be a and what's the word, an expectation that if we ever be wrong, to either never be wrong or to never admit you were wrong is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. And this other idea, and Draymond doesn't he's a sharp guy, but he doesn't understand the hypocrisy of this because he clearly believes that folks who didn't play that our ability to evaluate or criticize players is minimal. Okay, well, Draymond, are you a professor? Were you trained broadcaster? Did you go to broadcasting school? Have you been doing this for twenty years? Did you go through all the steps of local radio and then mid market radio, and then national radio and then small television. And by the way, the answer is no. Does that mean he shouldn't be able to criticize those in the media. Of course it's not. But it's the exact same logic. If I were to be like Draymond Green, what do you know about my field? You figured it out. Now you're having some missteps or misquoting me a bit, you're getting your facts wrong. You're already, you know, so starved for content that you're just rerunning these same takes. But that's fine. It's hard, man, it's And by the way, he can do what I I do at a closer level to what I do it than what I would be able to do what he does. I would be a zero out of one hundred on the court for the Warriors. Draymond, as far as you know, media guy. At times he's good. At times he's a little redundant and a little self congratulatory. That's fine, he'll learn. The other thing he's going to have to learn is this, at some point, the audience is going to expect some criticism of guys you don't want to criticize, and that's where for a lot of the guys. He's starting these fights with Kendrick Perkins. He's mad that as a former player, Perk attacked you know, you criticized him. That's always the hard part in the transition from player to media member. It's why Barkley a lot of people are at him, but it's also why Barkley is the best in the game at it. So listen, I'm excited for it. Draymond and I have a lot of mutual, very close friends, so at some point I think we'll sit down together and hash this out. But I also think he's realizing, oh damn, I got another podcast to do.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, get this podcast?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I am. I'm gonna be very impressed when he has some original content because the latest episode that that was lacking sorely. We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirell Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Also, that was Draymon's first podcast since the championship. I didn't know, so that's They won the championship on the sixteen, So that's the seventeenth, so he had ten days to come up with some material, do something. You know what I would you know what I would be interested in now? I like lists, but Draymond called himself the greatest defensive player ever. I would like to know who he thinks the greatest defensive players in league history for real? Like his thoughts on a keem Olajuan on Tim Duncan ron Our test Ben Wallace.
Speaker 4: He said that win in the last podcast.
Speaker 2: No, he said that during the regular season this past year. Anything's the greatest defense.
Speaker 4: J I just.
Speaker 2: Would There's a lot of things. Listen, Draymond might end up being awesome at media. He certainly has the pathway to it. But the other question for all these guys is always this. When you've made that much money, are you is are you going to be motivated and incentivized? I do two hundred and forty TV shows a year, two hundred and forty shows a year, another one hundred podcasts plus the podcast guest stuff I do. These are the things like now, Berkley doesn't work that much, and I think maybe Draamond, but Barkley still during the NBA playoffs is working a lot, right, And Barkley made good money but also gambled a ton and didn't make today's day money. It's always I mean, one podcast in the last two weeks and he's already in repeat. It's not great. All right, you ready to go, let's do it all right? Time now for hey, well, I hit the clock. Who knows at this point I promise things. It doesn't happen my apologies, but we're playing you guys. You guys said this is a new.
Speaker 4: Game, a new game. It's right or wrong.
Speaker 2: It's a new we haven't got it.
Speaker 4: We have it, but we've got that.
Speaker 3: We've got like two or three games at this point with right in the name. Yeah, but yeah, okay, new game, all right, right or wrong?
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Everyone thought Jabari Smith was going number one. A lot of people, maybe even you, lost money betting on that. Instead, the Magic took bon Caro, who didn't even work out with the team, So right or wrong, Bonkiro was right at the number one.
Speaker 2: Big, Okay, I you're right. I thought it was going to go Smith, Holmgren, Bonkaro Ivy instead that I should have known the Kings would screw up the fourth pick and they wouldn't even they wouldn't. They would have the biggest reach of the first round like they seem to always do, and Ivy would fall to five. You gotta love what Detroit was able to do staying there, getting Ivy Kate Cunningham kind of like what they're building there. But that's not the question you asked me. I said the day of the draft that I thought Paula was the safest, meaning I think he's the least. I think he is the surest fire thing to be a good NBA player. I think the most upside was Jabbari. Now, if you're the Magic, do you want to go safe or do you want to go upside? Or maybe they thought Paulo was had the most upside as well. I know a lot of people think the most upsides chet. I just I would have taken Chet fourth or fifth, like I would have taken Ivy. Had a Chet, I would have considered shade and sharp, just based on his high school profile alone, and then I would have been comfortable with Chat at five or six. But what I find fascinating about the Magic is they never interviewed or worked out Paula. And the only explanation of that is, oh, it was subterfuge. But you have the number one pick. Nobody can jump ahead of you. You have the number one pick. So I don't know exactly why they went about it the way they did. With that said, I love him as a player. I don't think any of these guys are superstars. I don't think any of these guys are gonna be Anthony Edwards and I didn't think anyone in last year's draft, by the way, it was gonna be a superstar. Now maybe MOBILEI will turn into one. I think Cage's really good. I don't think it'll be a superstar. But there's the last draft pick that I felt going into the draft is a franchise changing guy was Luca. And the next one that I think coming into the draft is a franchise changer is the French kid Winbinyama, who was seven to with like a seven seven wing springs, unbelievable. Uh the last what was the last American player that I thought going into a draft could absolutely change the trajectory of your franchise.
Speaker 4: Dearon Fox.
Speaker 2: I did love Fox just because I watched it, but I was biased. I did think maybe that you might be right that I thought that about Fox. I just watched Fox score forty and a half in an AAU game.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was the summer I was coaching you in AAUFT and I kept watching Dearon Fox. Just cook everybody, all right, what's next?
Speaker 4: Uh? So Wolde destroyed gamblers during the draft.
Speaker 3: He reported the incorrect Uh sorry, he reported the incorrect draft order. In the morning and then spoiled every pick at night. Others do the same in the NFL draft. So right or wrong, Twitter has destroyed the draft.
Speaker 2: Wrong. I never have understood this complaint. They're not scrolling tweets on the broadcast. If you don't want it's spoiled, don't, don't read Twitter. And by the way, you can still tweet without reading Twitter.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy.
Speaker 3: We didn't discuss this before, but that was my exact take on the situation. I've never I feel like it's an obvious one, though, no, but.
Speaker 2: I've never understood. This is one of these things people complain about, but it is totally self inflicted.
Speaker 3: It's funny you say something about this because we have a conversation about this or anything.
Speaker 4: But I had a very similar take. It's the right take.
Speaker 2: Guess what it's like. Someone's saying, like, I like to be surprised by what the weather is going to be like when I walk outside, so I'm angry at the weather channel. Don't open it, like it's still available to you to be surprised. You can just watch the draft if you don't want to have the pick spoiled. So totally wrong. It's a ludicrous complaint. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Benedict Mathurin is not moved by the NBA, says Lebron is gonna have to prove that he's better than him. He says, oh really, yeah, he says, quote unquote, a lot of people say he is great. I want to see how great he really is. I don't think anybody is better than me. He's gonna have to show me that he's better than me, right or wrong. Benedict's Benedict calling out Lebron is bad.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 2: I I appreciate the moxie and the confidence. I don't know that I would have gone with the Lebron James has to prove he's better than me approached.
Speaker 3: The funniest part to me is a lot of people says that he's great, Like, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: That's the other thing is the I mean, Lebron's been in the league for almost every single moment. This young man's in a lot, and so the idea that he's like, hey, I've heard good things, but I don't know, but now I do respect the I always think I'm the best player type of thing. And that is what's hard for rookies is that they you know, they come into a league and they're not the best player on their own team, much less better player in the whole league. But I also, let me see, I want to check the schedule here. Oh, we don't have the schedule, and I can't check the schedule. I'm an idiot. I was going to say when they play each other for the first.
Speaker 3: Time, I'll be watching his first game. I don't think that big on like, you know, oh, I want to see this rookie.
Speaker 4: I like now, what he has done is.
Speaker 3: Created a buzz around himself, I believe because like I for one, would not have been like I gotta see Benedict Matherin's first game.
Speaker 4: Sorry, no, you're fine. I'm very motivated by the way he.
Speaker 2: Was one of a number of Canadians drafted in the first round. Big Canadian contingent that everyone riding that Andrew Wiggins way, he's also Canadian. Listen, I watched him in college. I think he won Pack twelve Player of the Year, so I give him credit, and you know, his top ten pick of the draft. But yeah, he's on the So he's on the Pacers. So he'll play Lebron twice this coming years. This is the other conference. I I'm gonna go ahead and guess Lebron will be aware of this and will do his best to have a couple moments with him, especially because listen that he plays wing like Lebron, so they could match up against each other. I don't mind him saying, you know, chet was asked a few months ago, who's the best player in the nbauld have said me in a few months. But the whole he's gonna have to show me he's better than me is maybe a bridge too far. All right, what's next?
Speaker 4: So all right, sweet?
Speaker 3: The Rockets are practicing with a four point line. Sorry, the Rockets are practicing with a four point line in their facility.
Speaker 4: Right or wrong? The four point line should exis in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Absolutely should not exist. It's wrong. And I want to show you a graphic because this, to me, is an issue with the NBA. Is Kirk Goldsberry does all these maps? He like he's like basically part NBA guy, part cartographer where he shows shooting zones. And I'm trying to find the one that I saw just the other day that where he talked about shot distribution in the NBA. Now versus a decade ago, because the I adding a four point line would simply further make it to where long jump shots are the only shots people take other than threes, I'm sorry, other than layups and shots in the paint, and I don't think that is good for the health of the sport. I think that, if anything, the league should go to a true arc, not flattening it out in the corners. That way, there is no corner three because and that way the mid range starts to have a bit of a comeback. Because I understand the math of it, I understand why folks don't want the why the mid range is a bad shot, but I just I think aesthetically speaking, the league was better when there was more diversity of offen.
Speaker 3: Say it wouldn't be healthy for the sport. I think it'd be a lot healthier for the players. What do you mean, Like, as far as I think there would be less you know, pounding down in the paint, I think that people are going to be taking further shots, so there's going to be less contact.
Speaker 4: But you know that's true.
Speaker 2: But the flip side of that is guys have to cover so much more ground now defensively, and that would be exacerbated even further if they went to a four point line. Listen, they're not going to a four point line. There's the graphic, thank you here. It is so if you look at the most common shot location twenty years ago, it was all over the court. Most common shot locations this year it is in the restricted area, in the paint, in the dead middle, and then just threes, nothing in the mid range. And to me, that has made the game a little less fun to watch because everyone is bombing threes and that seems to be the focal point of the offense. A four point line would make it even more so that the real way to fix it, and I've said this before, is to switch the scoring from threes and twos to fours and threes, but that will never happen. The reason that would fix it is because then the premium on the three point shot, which will be a four point shot, will only be a thirty three percent premium instead of a fifty percent premium. It's the same reason why when you're playing pickup, if you play by ones and twos, it just comes down to who has the best shooter because it's one hundred percent premium. But they'll never change it to fours and threes because people don't like math, because it would ruin the record books. All right, what's last?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, we've got an unwritten no baseball rule on this show.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: But this has to be seen. All right, let's see right or wrong? You can do this.
Speaker 7: Skeeters the only other team aside from the Patriots and the Ducks with double digit wins on the young season. The one one Cardula swings and fouls it off towards the broadcast booth and I make the catch on the foul ball. I am very proud of myself. I hope somebody got a video of that. I caught it on the fly. Oh and it's a one to two count. All right, boy, am I impressive? What a play by me?
Speaker 2: Great job by that guy. So a few things. First of all, did you hear the team he mentioned? He said the Skeeters are the only other team. That's the sugar Lands Snaters. So yeah, so that's the We used to live just a few blocks from where they play. The Skeeters weren't in that highlight.
Speaker 4: That's where I learned how to drive.
Speaker 2: That is where you learned how to drive. That is absolutely right. Could I do that? Unfortunately, I must admit I've been in a position to do that when I used to cover the Royals where a foul ball came into the press box and I did not snag it.
Speaker 4: What I mean, did you touch it?
Speaker 2: I attempted to snag it and it went through my hand and.
Speaker 6: Hit the wall.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I know for a fact that I could not do that.
Speaker 4: Geez, for a fact. I mean that was one of one. You know, know if it if it come on, man, you gotta give it a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Not a great baseball player, not a great baseball I know I'm.
Speaker 3: A great catcher. I don't even think that's just I'm sorry. I'm not trying to grill you right now or anything, but you're saying you're not a great baseball player. It's not catching an item like it's a it's a baseball. I'm not a great baseball player, and I feel like I could definitely do that well with the mic on and everything.
Speaker 2: I don't know that you could. First of all, maybe you could. You have good coordination, You're a good athlete. Baseball is different, though, because I have great I'm a great catcher.
Speaker 4: Of a basketball.
Speaker 2: No, no, noka when it comes to football. But baseball's tough. They're hard, they're coming fast. You gotta track it. There's a little fear if you're not used to it. It's a little harder. We have during the pod a little breaking Kyrie Irving news. We'll do that to wrap up the show. Next What's Right? All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright. We have a little bit of breaking news. While recording the pod. Christian Winfield Demonse of the New York Daily News just wrote an article says Kyrie Irving has requested and received permission from the NETS to find sign and trade offers from other teams. Kevin Durant still hasn't spoken to the NETS front office. Russell Westbrook to Brooklyn remains unlikely. So this is where I'm really a master, and this is where we break out the old trade machine and we see what the possible teams are. So we're gonna go NBA trade machine, not the one that ESPN uses. There's a better one. Fan Spoe has it, and we see which trades can work. So let's start with Miami, which was on his list. Miami is flatly not trading Bam or Jimmy Butler. I guarantee you they're not trading either one of those guys for Kyrie. But what they could do is trade Kyle Lowry and they could include Tyler Hero. Kyle Lowry for Tyler and Tyler Hero for Kyrie Irving. Does that trade work against the cap? That trade works against the cap? That's a possibility, A nice little Oh yeah, absolutely, And we can adjust people's contracts and such. But that trade works Kyle Lowry and Tyler Hero, That one works. The next one that, to me, there's a real possibility of would be the Los Angeles Clippers. So they are not trading Kawhi or Paul George, but I'm sure they would trade Norman Powell. I'm sure they would trade Marcus Morris, and then you could probably get them to include Terrence Man, who's a young player and has some value. Those two players, they don't have any picks to include, though. Does that trade work? That trade works, Marcus Morris, Norman Powell and Terrence Man for Kyrie Irving, That trade works. Would the Nets do that? Maybe? Would the Clippers do that? I would say absolutely the Clippers would do that, and they would have a dynamic threesome in Kawhi, Paul George and Katie. I mean Kawhi, Paul George and Kyrie. Now the other teams that wrero on Kyrie's list, the Knicks could trade you picks and bad contracts. I don't know that they want that. The MAVs could They could the MAVs make it work, assuming let's say Jalen Brunson is gone. Could the MAVs, because they're you're not gonna do a Jalen Brunson sign in trade. They could send Dinwiddie back and din Witty and Burton's are Dinwitty in Hardaway. But I don't know that the MAVs want to get in the Kyrie business, to be honest, honestly, I know the Lakers would want to get involved. But the Lakers can't make a trade work unless a it's this massive trade that involves Anthony Davis, and then you also have to get Ben Simmons back, or if the Nets wanted Russell Westbrook, which I don't think they do, and so for the Lakers, sign in trade is very unlikely. The other question is, and I find this one interesting, is Kyrie willing to accept a contract from another team that is the same type of contract he turned down from the Nets, And I think the answer to that is yes. So by that, I mean Kyrie wanted the full max next NETS wouldn't give it to him. Say, the Nets offered him two years at max money with a team option for year three partially guaranteed year three, and Kyrie was offended by that, That doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't accept that from another team, so that I'll use again different levels of negotiation, of course. But when I was leaving Kansas City radio wise, and I wasn't sure if I was gonna leave or not, I was wildly insulted by their initial contract offered to me. They then made another one. I still thought it was way out of whack. I then got the job offer in Houston. Houston offered me the exact same amount of money that Kansas City offered me at the end, and I happily took Houston's because I felt like Kansas City had taken me for granted and insulted me, even though it was the same amount of money and Houston was actually more expensive city. So I don't think every team that wants to sign and trade for Kyrie necessarily has to give him the same contract the Nets were going to give him. But I do think that the Lakers' only path is really that six million dollar mid level and it's a whole lot of money for Kyrie to leave on the table. Yeah, it's Kyrie, so it's possible, and I do think that's where he wants to go. And so seems like a lot of this is maneuvering to get back with Lebron and try to win a title.
Speaker 4: I'd love to see it.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be a great story. I think the Lakers would be awesome. I don't know if financially they could do it. They could have done it if they hadn't traded for us, But such as life. All right, there's today's show. We'll be back.
Speaker 4: Breaking news, Yeah, breaking news.
Speaker 3: Colorado Avalanche has won their first Stanley Cup in twenty one years. They get their name engraved on the Stanley Cup. Nathan had a great game. I don't remember his last name, but he scored two points. Okay, I just thought we'd bring hockey in here.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not hockey, it's goals, goals.
Speaker 4: Sorry, is this.
Speaker 2: The thing you were supposed you supposedly knew more about than me.
Speaker 4: It's not supposedly I did.
Speaker 2: What did you know more than me?
Speaker 4: That Nathan scored two points?
Speaker 2: You don't even know is Nathan his first or last name? And there's no points.
Speaker 4: It's ghosts.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't listen to a new rule on the show. Guys, prep to Mom's a better if you're gonna ask him to talk hockey, that's first of all. Second of all, we're not talking Coloride. Congrats Colorado Avalanche. But until Patrick Waugh walks back through that door, it doesn't matter anything to me. We'll talk to you guys in a couple of days, as