Speaker 1: Elsewhere on the Federal Reserve. The former New York Fed President Bill Dudley in a new Bloomberg opinion column, writing this, I've been too pessimistic about the risks of a so called hard landing for the US economy over the past few years. Although most of my conclusions that led to that view were correct, such an outcome remains very much in doubt. Bill joins us now for more. Bill, welcome back to the program, sir. It's been quite a journey for you, an intellectual journey over the year so far. I want to go through a couple of headlines and you help me understand why you've changed your thinking. Someone. It was only back earlier this summer where you said I changed my mind the FED needs to cut rates now before the Federal Reserve meeting. Last time around, you said they need to go big. Now I think they will. They did this morning. My hard landing forecast turned out to be wrong. Bill, just walk us through how you're thinking about things currently and what kind of policy this backdrop needs.
Speaker 2: Well, my original view was that Fed would be late to take Madre policy check. As a consequence, inflation want to go up, and the labor market would get very tight. Then the Federal Reserve would have to tighten mantre policy a lot check, and the unployer would have to go up. At least they have a percentage point trigger the sam rule check, but the shop role trigger. That doesn't seem like it's leading to recession. If you look at that the GDP numbers, they've have been very firmly lately.
Speaker 3: Second quarter three percent, third quarter is tracking two and a half percent.
Speaker 2: So even though I had the story right, it doesn't look like the conclusion is going to pan out.
Speaker 3: It was too soon to say for sure.
Speaker 2: That's why the labor market has so much attention focused on it, and I thought I was interesting the summary.
Speaker 3: Of economic projections at the last FMC meeting.
Speaker 2: They actually in the in their summary of economic projections, they actually think that the downside risks to the labor market are actually greater now than the outside risk of the inflation. So they're worried about the exact same thing. And that's why tomorrow's labor market report is so important. If the labor market really starts to deteriorate, then I think the soft landing story will start to come into question. And that's why the FED cut fifty basis points a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people bill share your journey in terms of changing views and not understanding which models are actually accurate this time around. What in your analysis makes you think that this time is different and that some of the classic indicators that traditionally have foretold recession no longer work.
Speaker 3: I think two things are different.
Speaker 2: Number One, you had all these fiscal transfers during the pandemic to businesses and households, so business and household bounce sheets are in better shape than they typically are late in the business cycle. You know, for example, look at debt service colls for the household sector is still pretty low because people locked in very low mortgage rates during the servant during the pandemic. Second thing I think is different is that financial conditions have eased a lot even before the federieser cut rates. So financial conditions are We're at the most tightest about about a year ago, and since then the beads a lot, stock market up, bondials down, credit spreads tighter, and so even though Madre policies tighten, when you look at the level of short term rates, financial conditions at ease a lot, and that's supporting economic activity.
Speaker 4: What's to say we're landing at all?
Speaker 1: Bill?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a good question.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think you know the fact would like the economy to grow, you know too, two and a half percent, keep the unemployer rate right where it is, and the third quarter looks like it's shaping up that way. But keeping on that very you know, that nice edge growth not strong enough to cause the researches of inflation, not weak enough to lead to the kind of deterioration and labor market that would lead to recession.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be tough to keep on that nice edge.
Speaker 4: So what are you expecting for tomorrow?
Speaker 2: I think it'll be a decent payroll employer report. I mean, I think the estimates are around one hundred and forty thousand. That seems like a regionalle estment.
Speaker 6: We have to remember, though, the payroll employment has a big standard are around those estimates, So you could get something like eighty thousand, or you get something like two hundred thousand, and it really wouldn't to tell you for sure.
Speaker 3: That the economy has actually changed momentum.
Speaker 1: Bill, How difficult is that? In the November seventh meeting going to be considering how messy the data might be, we might not have an outcome from the election. Can you think of a time like this want that they're going into in the next month.
Speaker 2: Well, the particular awkwardness is that there will be another payilmployment report during the blackout period right before the.
Speaker 3: Fo C meeting.
Speaker 2: Look, I think that most of the momentum is for twenty five basis points at this point.
Speaker 3: Powell basically foreshared that in a speech.
Speaker 2: The fact that you had all these people in the summery that projections that only had one more rate cut in their forecast after the last meeting also tells you that it's probably not going to be fifty. So I think the basic stories still intact. Risks to the labor market are greater than the risk of inflation, Madre policies tight, We're still quite ways from neutral, so twenty five basis points is the most likely scenario in my view at this point.
Speaker 4: Bill we had Adam posted on earlier from the Peterson Institute who said that the FED should be vocal about the fact that they're considering the deficit and potential tariffs as a potential inflationary pressure heading into twenty twenty five and a reason to cut less. What do you make of that? Not necessarily the FED weighing in on that particular issue, but being more cautious ahead of next year because of it.
Speaker 2: In my experience, the Fed doesn't make you fit policy today on things that might or might not happen in the future.
Speaker 3: I think they wait to those things either materialized or not.
Speaker 2: And so I think that the idea that the FED wouldn't eased because they're worried that an election could result in a certain outcome that would lead to higher terrorists and higher inflation.
Speaker 3: I don't think the feder Reserve would hold off because of that.
Speaker 1: Bill Dumpley, I appreciate it, sir, as always the former New York FED president built dumping down its latest pace. How my heart landing forecast turned out to be wrong? You can find that on Bloomberg Opinion.