Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where you don't want to be the favorite. It's Week two. You thought you had it made, your team was given a touchdown away you probably lost. I'm Greg Rosenthal in the Chris Westling podcast studio alongside Patrick Claybahn Nick Schook, reporting live from Cleveland, Ohio. You know a team that also was an underdog and one on Sunday, but they weren't the big stories. Patrick goes, like, every team that we thought was probably gonna win in the early window didn't win. It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, a beautiful thing, unless, of course you you passionately cheer and care about the outcomes for one of those teams. But almost Celtic coming at least the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 1: You did. All right, let's not even waste any more time, Sorry, Nick, We're just gonna get right to it, because let's be real. You know, you look at all the games that are on the schedule. You got Tony Romo and Jim Nanton, It's Bengals Chiefs and you know whendn't you know? It comes down to a late field goal and a call at the end of the game, and you think, well of course, you just got to start the show that way. That's just how they got here.
Speaker 3: Not here.
Speaker 1: I don't want him because to me, this week was more about those big underdogs early, the Raiders, the Bucks, the Vikings, the Saints, who all get that, so we don't have to do the Chiefs and the Bengals. First, Let's start in Baltimore where the Raiders got it.
Speaker 4: Done twenty six twenty three, Vegas on top and a ten point fourth quarter comeback.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: Just let Max Rosey play the joker.
Speaker 4: He's not rushing, he's just watching Jackson. There's the snat pressure from Wilkins up. Jackson takes off up the middle. He has the fifty and the forty still on his feet at the thirty. He laterals it back to Justice Hill on near sideline at the thirty, keeps the play alive.
Speaker 1: He toumps, it looks like it was foward. Here's the flag, it's still loose. Raiders beat it down, they're about to.
Speaker 4: Fall on top of it, and this ballgame is over.
Speaker 1: The Raiders come to Baltimore.
Speaker 4: And they beat the Ravens twenty six twenty three in a massive effort.
Speaker 1: Here on the road, I can't believe it, Patrick Clayban. It was twenty three to thirteen, ten point Ravens win. After Derrick Henry scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter. The Raiders have three more scoring drives after that. What happened to your team? We can just go public with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think most people are are aware.
Speaker 2: The last time I sat in this chair, the very few moments before we left, I said, ah, that's the problem with this Raiders matchup, Gardner Minsh, you beat them let last year, and Greg's shokey looks at me and says, oh, that's some fan stuff.
Speaker 1: Well that was not worried about Gardner Minshew in this spot, but you were right, okay.
Speaker 2: So with four h three to go in the game, there was a third and goal from the seventeen yard line, Minshew looks for DeVante Adams, Brandon Stevens gets called for pass interfere that the Raiders would score. After that, they would get a stop and then they would ultimately get Daniel Carson Carlson out there to kick what would have been a game winning field goal.
Speaker 3: There was the final play. You go back, you watch it.
Speaker 2: I know people looking at the broadcast were saying, well, if Lamar fakes a pitch there and keeps the ball, he scores a touchdown.
Speaker 3: There were three Raiders on top of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but really, if he wheeled again and again, this would have been a three to sixty no scope like, no look being able to see the entire field at once. But say Flowers is standing on the opposite sideline all by himself. He's got like forty yards of space. But that's neither here nor there. They couldn't get the stops down the stretch. They were three of eleven on third down. The Raiders were four of twelve. But you try to find a spot. The pass protection got better this week Lamar was under pressure. His passing numbers were actually better under pressure this week against the Raiders, but ultimately they couldn't get those late first downs. After Derek Henry gets over seventy nine yards, he gets that touchdown. They really couldn't move the Raiders defensive line at all. Christian Wilkins played a solid game. Max Crosby is Max Crosby and and Shook. That's that's just what happens. You can't you can't close the game out late. You want you get Dereck Henry because you want to have a four minute drill, you want to be able to ice games.
Speaker 3: They didn't do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that's where the Raiders invested in the offseason by getting guys like Wilkins and paying Max Crosby when they didn't have to. And all the talk this week was well, who's gonna stop Lamar? Or how how do we stop Max Crosby. That felt like the kind of strange matchup there. But I look at the box score in this game and I just see eleven penalties for the Ravens, three of eleven on third down. Lamar rushes five times for forty five yards. And obviously you don't want to runn asmuch as he did in Week one. But some things that are just a little uncharacteristic of the Ravens to the point that I essentially, Patrick, if I'm reading you correctly, with that Zay Flowers situation, I have to envision Frank Wycheck to Kevin Diyce in Music City Miracle. To give the Ravens a chance in this game. This is unlike them. They should not be in that situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that play, that play wasn't happening. I mean to focus in on that play is crazy. I would focus more on Look, it's a complete team loss for the Ravens, but for the last four possessions. For the Raiders to go touchdown field goal, touchdown, field goal in a half where they only had five possessions is pretty wild. Let's you mentioned DeVante Adams had the game tying touchdown. DeVante Adams goes nine for one to ten and a touchdown, including one of the most beautiful toe tap. They called it the smooth criminal catch on Twitter, which was perfect, just like an unreal DeVante Adams catch on the sideline, and then he gets the touchdown late brock Bauers, who is very much the same as the brock Bowers you saw in college nine for ninety eight. So those two get it done. Let's listen to that Devonte Adams game tying touchdown.
Speaker 4: Mit Schew and the count he's got some Mere White two his right. The handoff is sa mere no. Mitchew keeps it to the end.
Speaker 7: Zone for Adams and it's caught touchdown Raiders. Minchew pulled it out of White's belly, had a quick thrown at Avonte in the back middle of the end zone and the Raiders went three point fifty four to go in the game, are an extra point away from tying this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, halfway through this game, I've seen people calling for aoc A and O'Connell, but Gardner Minshew ends up with thirty for thirty eight for two to seventy six. What happened there?
Speaker 2: Well, ultimately there was coverage issues. We saw it last week against Xavier Worthy. The Ravens blew a coverage and for some reason, brock Bauers just gets a whole bunch of free releases. It's gonna be tough to cover brock Bowers anyway. But you mentioned the field goal on the possession after that, Antonio Pierce had an opportunity. He wound up playing for the field goal and playing the clock game instead. The Raiders could have scored these touchdowns consecutively. Down question that there was really very little. There was much more of a pass rush in the first half versus the second half. They couldn't get to Minshew and when they did it was just Minshew magic.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, I mean, it's weak two. As you said right before we started, you were like, whatever's happened so far? You think it's gonna hold this year. So the Ravens are going, oh, in seventeen.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna They're not gonna win a single game.
Speaker 1: They are two games back in the AFC North, and yeah, this is a huge win obviously for the Raiders to just get some positive, positive vibes. Justin Tucker misses a fifty yard field goal in this game. He's one of his last seven from fifty plus. I think we can safely say Justin Tucker is no longer the best kicker in the NFL. Hitting fifty plus is what kind of matters right now for kickers because they're all hitting all the kicks under fifty. They're all so good at it that Justin Tucker's kind of not that dude anymore, which is amazing. But it is cool to see that Devanta Adams still is that dude. Before moving to the next game, let's just listen to DeVonta Adams because he had a postgame interview on the field with NFL Daily's own Steve Weisch. I mean, Wesch does other stuff, but mostly he's with NFL ty gotta hit the defense last, so they go up by ten. Max Roseman, the guys shut him down the rest.
Speaker 5: Of the way.
Speaker 1: Those boys, I mean, leap is far man, they fire.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: So we gotta gotta do what we gotta do on offense and be a little more consistent.
Speaker 3: Take some of that firsture off of him.
Speaker 1: But they clearly are fit to withstand some of that fun that they're dealing with.
Speaker 9: So as long as they keep fishing out, we're gonna be a fair team.
Speaker 1: All right. That was DeVante Adams. We move on from Vegas, UH to Minnesota, where another team that was a pretty big underdog on Sunday got it done. And they got it done in large part because of slinging Sam Darnold.
Speaker 9: Second and nine for the Vikings from their own three Darnald under center play action to Jones back to pass.
Speaker 1: Both have picked up deep shot.
Speaker 5: Jefferson yes, fifty picks.
Speaker 1: What to the forty touts back to the twenty five head to the right.
Speaker 10: He's trying to outrun the Niners to the five.
Speaker 1: Hey d seven yard.
Speaker 11: Touchdown from samarld suggestion Jefferson.
Speaker 1: Awesome call there by Paul Allen on k FA, and the Vikings moved to two to zero on the season. Twenty three to seventeen, the upset over the forty nine ers. With our friends at sky Sports in the building there, they were good luck for the Vikings. I'll go, I'll see it Neil Reynolds and Alex Jackson over in the UK in about a month for Jags Bears, but we're here to talk Vikings Niners shook. They got the lead early in this game, Justin Jefferson leaves with a quad injury. They say it's a bruise, in that he'll be ready to go next week. It's not believed to be serious. So they even got some good news on the injury front after the game, like, what was your biggest takeaway here?
Speaker 6: I mean, we're living in an alternate universe where I I have confidence in Sam Darold.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: I know it's only two games, but he looks like he has graduated to the next level. He is comfortable, he's not making massive mistakes. There was a period where I texted some of my USC friends and said, guys, I feel as Sam turnover a bad decision coming here with this game getting tight, And he did the opposite. He stood in the pocket with the pass rush bearing down on his right side. He rips a missile down the seam over Fred Warner between three Niners defenders to Jalen Naylor for a big pickup late in that game. And that right there proved to me, not the ninety seven yard touchdown pass, which is a thing of beauty in itself, but that right there proved to me Sam might just be built for this. Finally, after all these years, he might be ready for it, because he's looked like it through two weeks.
Speaker 12: And this is not the New York Giants, the San Francisco forty nine ers.
Speaker 6: This is the team that put the New York Jets in a crock pot and slow cooked them to death last week and this time around. Sure, they gave up three hundred and ninety nine yards of offense to the Niners, but at the same time they were able to outlast them with plays like that.
Speaker 12: And that's the beauty of it right now.
Speaker 6: Also, the other beautiful thing we went last week from Paul Allen being like, eh, you know, it's second and seven here. Now you can see the excitement in his voice before the action even happened. He's believing too, everything turning up Vikings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's reason to believe.
Speaker 2: Nick like, this isn't some upset where the Vikings were the team that fumbled on the goal line. The Vikings out gained the forty nine Ers, they were making plays, the turnover battle was even at to apiece. This is just a straight up show up at home and have a nice solid win over a team where brock Perty didn't self destruct today.
Speaker 3: He played, He played solidly.
Speaker 2: They just went out and beat the forty nine ers like there was no statistical anomaly here, still win.
Speaker 1: Right when Aaron Jones fumbled on the goal line and that came was that before or after Darnold's interception to Fred Warner, which was just a fantastic play. After that was after it? So after those two turnovers happened at the same time, I'm thinking, like, clip that play, guys. Let's talk about that play as when the game turned because normally in a Viking hit situation you have two plays like that. And Donald's throw wasn't great, but that was an even better interception by Warner. Warner made both of those turnovers. He also forced the fumble on Jones. He is just playing out of his mind. Last week might have been one of the best games I've ever seen. Fred Warner play and then he has another game like this. Normally I would expect, you know, the Vikings end up losing this game, but you mentioned how they they iced it without Jefferson on the field, without Jordan Addison on the field, and they partly did it, Yeah, because the defense shook. They blitz Brock Purdy on twenty of his forty four dropbacks forty five percent. With normally you say, oh man, they went crazy, but actually that's that's as normal for Flores. It might be under their average, actually forty five percent. And while all these pressures didn't come on the blitzes, he was pressured thirteen times and he took six sacks, the most of his career. So the Vikings defense got home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I like the most about this performance from the Vikings. It was a total team win because on one side you had Donald you know, thriving, but the defense itself, Yeah, they gave up close to four hundred yards of offense, but they got after the quarterback. They got Brock pretty unsettled. By the time the fourth quarter arrived. He wasn't even getting through his progressions from right to left. He was almost freezing because it had just been so much chaos throughout most of that game. That's the first time I've seen Brock pretty really uncomfortable in a long time. And that was credit to their defense. And this is a team that, like we just talked about, turned the ball over twice. The Niners took both of those turnovers down the field and scored, and they got right back up off the mat and said let's go. I'll go another ten rounds with you, and they ended up coming out on top.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I just love that this NFC North is just gonna be even spicier than we expected. I expect Kevin Harlan to be spicy every week, and all I can say is we look for the moments when Kevin Harland just makes us happy. And he gave us a beauty on Sunday, in part because of technical problems where it sounds like the halftime cruise audio wasn't working. Let's listen, man, Let's take you to a Perlisson in New York.
Speaker 3: I can't hear anything, can I can't hear you?
Speaker 13: Go Rogers against Tennis Sell They go in jeep.
Speaker 3: They want the worst card die, the type.
Speaker 13: With a touchdown reception. The former check Chak, who yet this with the on for Tennessee to Minneapolis. All right, thank you, Chuck.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 14: I'm throwing a flag. I'm throwing a flag on the crew. Somebody's gotta let Kevin Harlan know what the play is because he's he's doing a million things at once. It's been like Levister Ridley just getting his ears so he can finish.
Speaker 1: The cass there knowing is expected that and knowing that he's watching on a monitor where that play is in the in the tiny little box and he gets it done. That was awesome. Not awesome is Christian McCaffrey's achilles tendonitis whatever you want to call it. Let's listen to Kyle Shanahan after the game respond to I believe pretty directly a report from our NFL networks, Ian Rapaport saying that McCaffrey could be out up to six weeks. Since we've last recorded, he was placed on injured reserve. Jordan Mason got the start on Sunday and he looks fantastic again, one hundred yards in a touchdown, So they have a good backup, but obviously very concerning that McCaffrey's hurt.
Speaker 15: Nobody knows. You know, we're dealing with tendon itis, so there's not one person knows.
Speaker 3: He doesn't know, we.
Speaker 15: Don't know, and take it day by day, you know. By putting on ir it's at least four weeks, so that'll give him some time to rest and kind of protect him from himself us too, no matter how he's feeling this four at the minimum.
Speaker 1: M I guess nobody knows, but you know, someone like Ian Rapport doesn't put that out there for no reason. It was partly, I think a scheduling thing too, and it's just it's disappointing. And yet again they're a team that really the games that matter are going to November, December, January, hopefully Christian McCaffrey is back for them by then. Let's continue with the upset theme and go to Lambeau where, look, they're gonna start a quarterback they just traded for a few weeks ago. This isn't gonna go well, right, Oh yes it does.
Speaker 10: Pittman and Pierce to the right side along with Branson the tight end. Mitchell split to the left, snap to Richardson. He looks, he waits still looking, winds up rainbows deep.
Speaker 11: Down the right side into a gaggle of bodies just drunk it a far accepted by the Packers and there is your daggers intercepted by the rookie Evan Williams, and the Packers survived sixteen to ten over the Colts.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 16: W R N W.
Speaker 1: Wayne Larvie with the call. We'd have to go back and have someone listened to see if he had a dagger call like a minute and a half before that, because I swear I thought this game was over after a previous stop, but it was not. The Colts hung around in a game where it was pretty one sided throughout. Sixteen to ten, the Packers get the victory over the Colts. Now at oh and two, the Packers with a big time win. And I watched this game and the first drive was really telling. Malik Willis only throws one pass on that drive for zero yards, and yet they drove the ball fifty seven yards on the ground. They ended up having one hundred and sixty four yards on the ground in the first quarter two hundred and thirty seven yards on the ground in the first half. That is the third most rushing yards in the first half of any team in any game since two thousand. They actually only ended up with two sixty one, so the Colts kind of cleaned it up after halftime, but by then the damage was done. And it's amazing to me that the Colts went into this game knowing the Packers are just going to run the ball. Josh Jacobs ends up with thirty two for one fifty one, Malik Willis goes six for forty one on the ground. Even Jayden Reid has has a couple of long runs, like every runn he has is a long run, and the Colts just weren't ready. The second straight week. Their rush defense really killed them. And I was tracking Patrick like a lot of Colts reporters after this game, and people are almost debating like who is the bigger problem here? The offense or the defense, because while the defense was getting steamrolled, I mean, the Colts offense only had three plays on offense before it was ten to nothing, so they were always playing from behind. Colts offense didn't really get it done either. Anthony Richardson throws three picks, another sort of boom or bust game for the Colts.
Speaker 2: But now this is the second consecutive game where a vet and running back has gone in against the Indianapolis coltson run all over the moves ten to nothing with twelve thirteen to go in the second quarter, and Josh Jacobs fumbled right on the goal line, and so this this could have gotten even worse. That kind of kept them into the game. And we come in and we're saying, oh, Malik Willis has never thrown for one hundred yards. He's never had a receiver go over fifty yards. Malik Willis played a pretty solid game today. He said, there was no runs on that first drive because one of those swingout was a backwards pass to Jayden Reed. But it's still he's in a throwing motion. Like Malik Willis comes in, he just got there. Like, what would Malik Willis have a whole off season, a chance to prepare for this offense that's proliferated around the league?
Speaker 3: What might he be? That's what I loved about this game. We finally get a chance to see it.
Speaker 6: You know, like, going into this situation strategically, you think, from an offensive standpoint, all right, how are we gonna you know, minimize our potential to turn the ball over and kill ourselves it's by shortening the passing game. It's by relying on the run game, and the defense knows that they know that they're gonna come there and try to pound the rock on the ground as much as possible. It is demoralizing it as can be when you can't stop that. When a guy goes thirty two for one p fifty one, when they rack up this many rushing yards, you can't stop him. And I sound like a broken record at this point, but if you can't stop him at the point of attack on the ground, that takes all the pressure in the world off the quarterback. You need to stack the box now just to stop the run. Let alone try to get after that quarterback and suddenly he's not as much of a factor. Then he goes out and completes twelve or fourteen passes, has a pretty nice day. Doesn't have to be the star. And that's how you win when you know you don't trust your quarterback that well, So kudos to him, kudos to Matt Lafleur. We're putting together a game plan that works. I mean, it's a beautiful thing when all of it works like that, and it's really really scary and concerning for a defense when you cannot get that type of stop against another NFL team, It's as simple as that, especially in two weeks in a row.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you mentioned the passing numbers, because yeah, they ended up great.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Romeo Dobbs helped him out. His playmakers helped him out. Romeo Dobbs with a great catch in the second half of this game when Malik Willis put it up, but it was a chance worth taking. And on the couple timing routes that they had, Malik Willis was very effective. Let's listen to his touchdown throw to Dontavian Wicks.
Speaker 10: Third and four now for the Packers at the Colts fourteen yard line.
Speaker 1: Here's the snap.
Speaker 11: Willis looks, throws right side pass man down the sidelines in the young up.
Speaker 1: Down Tavian Wex.
Speaker 10: The first touchdown pass rock in the career of Malik Willis.
Speaker 1: What a story. I think Matt Lafleur was having a blast in this game. Some of the run formations they had early were awesome. And look, Jordan Love didn't get ruled out for this game. Weirdly until Saturday. I think he was downgraded to doubtful. They had him questionable on the injury report initially, there's some talk that maybe he's a little closer to returning, and that would certainly support it than people thought. We'll see what they do in week three. Either way, it's a great story, but maybe Willis buys him another week to be more conservative with their quarterback. And this is a type of win that everyone just gets really excited about. Let's actually listen to Matt Lafleur after the game talking about his center, Josh Myers throwing up on the ball. That's a real football guy.
Speaker 17: I asked Malik why he didn't throw the ball and that third down, and he told me that Josh threw up on the ball. I was like, that's the first time I've ever heard that. Matter of fact, official.
Speaker 3: Came over to me.
Speaker 17: Sean came over to me and said, you know, we saw your center thrown up on the ball. Do you want us to take him out next time? I said, absolutely, please do that, because I mean, you're talking about a critical situation and it's third down and I've never had a throw with Voman on a football, so I don't know. I don't think Malik probably appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That is incredible and yet please please yo check out the YouTube. Subscribe. You get the highlights, you get the sound. Obviously we love you on the audio. But if you do happen to watch a video, you can see that's your screamish right the replay of him puking three or four street times, it was a liquidy one didn't seem too chuck.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the that's the issue.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, the volume and Malik willis my goodness, he Jordan Love gets hurt in the final moments. He comes in just to throw a hail Mary on the slush fest. He falls down and then he comes in this game, his first start for the Packers and the Sinners throwing up on the football. Thank goodness for him. He makes a decision to just hold on to it and keep it. But that's a that's a lot to process.
Speaker 6: In vomit the opposite of stickham like, think vomits legal, right, yeah, probably a little slippery, right.
Speaker 1: I saw another I can now, I'm now I'm losing track. And it might have been in a different It might have been in a different game. I swear I saw another player vomiting on the field. I believe at the end of this game. That was not Malik Willis, so I don't know.
Speaker 12: That's September, maybe September, so that's pretty common.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was just going around.
Speaker 2: So but I do wonder, from an officiating standpoint, if the if the defensive tackle does that on the ball, what's what's the call.
Speaker 1: I don't think there is a call for that. I think that's just like neutral gen in fract it's nature. So you just have to let it happen. Disappointing day for the Colts. Not only do they lose to go oh and two, they waste a good performance by Jonathan Taylor, who had a nice yard, was not always on the field, like on third downs, but he said he was healthy. The time of possession. They've lost by roughly forty minutes to twenty minutes in both games, which you don't normally I don't get tooquorried about time and possession. But that's a lot. And then most importantly there DeForest Buckner had to be helped off the field appeared to have what could be a serious lower leg injury. We will see. Liot Latu also was ruled out late in this game with a hip injury. The defensive line was supposed to be their strength and now it kind of looks like a weakness. And yeah, as I mentioned, I did see Richardson you know some of the interceptions. The last one was just you know, he's thrown up a hail Mary. But he did have an overthrow where I'm not a mechanics but it looked a little crazy. What was going on, kind of backpedaling, his feet were all crazy and the ball sailed. So just a sloppy day for the Colts. They will try to respond. We will be responding after the break. I guess we'll get to this. Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrows, They're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have to deal with waiting for the Chiefs at some point.
Speaker 1: Back on NFL Daily, such a good week of games. That Yeah, a twenty six, twenty five Chiefs victory over the Bengals didn't even lead the show, but it is pretty awesome. I love this rivalry started all Bengals, now lately it's been all Chiefs. And if you had to guess before the game how it was going to end, the call would sound something like this.
Speaker 18: It's the Bengals in the Chiefs. Why would you think it would be any thing different than this? A fifty one year older officially to try to win it by Bucker twenty five to twenty three. Cincinnati placement is down. Bucker's kick leg three.
Speaker 11: It is high enough and it is good.
Speaker 19: Kansas City. Harrison Bucker another clutch kick against the Bengals and the Chiefs win it at the buzzer twenty six, twenty five and the Chiefs going to two and zero on the year.
Speaker 1: That was w daf and Midge Holtis. Harrison Bucker gets it done again. I mean, how many of the biggest games of the last handful of years just ended on a Harrison Bucker seemingly anti climactic kick. Guy, What of them happened against the Bengals that put them in the Super Bowl? The Super Bowl obviously ended with one last year. This one was a little more tense because the Chiefs were trailing at the time, and yet after that pass interference, which I know you'll want to talk about on fourth and sixteen with forty eight seconds left happened, it just felt like we were just wasting time until Bucker got done again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and actually it felt like a like a slow march to death. If you're a Bengals fan, like it was just, oh, here we are again.
Speaker 12: We're in range. Now he's gonna make it. The game's over once again.
Speaker 6: I just checked by the way Harrison Bucker had a fifty one yard to win a Day twenty twenty two season AFC Championship game after the josepho side penalty that knocks Patrick Mahomes out of bounds and puts him puts them into field goal Rainzels a forty five yarder.
Speaker 12: I mean, it's like you couldn't make it up how similar they were.
Speaker 6: This pass interference penalty, by the way, totally passing interference on Di John Anthony.
Speaker 12: It's unfortunate for them, but the.
Speaker 6: Way that this game was played was so similar and yet unlike their past meetings because the Chiefs kind of had to win ugly, Like they had four accepted penalties, but I could have counted a few more that were declined or that It just seemed like there was a long pass to Travis Kelsey brought back by a penalty, kingsleys Uamanta, the left tackle getting smoked by Trey Hendrickson to the point that they bention him in the fourth quarter. It just felt like the operation saved for the forty four yard touchdown past to rasheet. Rice was really difficult for them. Every time something went well for them, something brought it back or just got in the way, and yet they found a way to do it in a similar fashion. And that's got to just absolutely hurt Bengals fans because they played well enough to win, especially after the way they played in Week one. I mean, Joe Burrow twenty three to thirty six, two fifty eight, two touchdowns, fumbled the ball away, there was pretty much even turnovers, you know, giveaways on both sides of the ball, six lead changes I think in the second half in this game, just back and forth. A classic game. But you know, for as bad as the Bengals were a Week one, there were a lot better this week. And yet they're still zero to two and they're still on the short end of the stick against the Kansas City Chiefs, and now you just.
Speaker 12: Wonder, are we ever going to get over this hump? I don't know.
Speaker 2: They the early season issues for Cincinnati continue, but I feel like you got to extract that one and from this particular narrative, because there was there was some it felt playoffish to a certain extent, and lou An Romo calls an incredible game, and of course there's gonna be all these shots of de John Anthony after the game, and people are frustrated about because he got way too much depth on that particular play comes up and hits Rashee Rice.
Speaker 3: He played like five defensive snaps last week.
Speaker 2: I just wonder why the Bengals, after playing such a great game are rushing three in this instance, giving Patrick Mahomes all this time because there was the third down play where the play before that got called back because of a penalty. The Bengals would have been better off with that initial gain instead of the past interference on Rashie Rice because it's it's just as Shook pointed out, it's just so similar to the past where the penalty puts Bucker in the range. And regardless of what he thinks the role everybody else on the planet should be his roles kicking field goal is pretty good at it.
Speaker 1: Right, Patrick.
Speaker 6: I lived my life by two key rules, okay, among some One, if at all possible, do not wait in line. Then two never rush three. And yet that's where they found themselves, So they can only blame themselves for having them in that situation where that occurs, like, you're absolutely right, it's a bummer for them, but you're absolutely right, never rush.
Speaker 1: Three because that allows Mahomes the time to set up and everyone to get downfield. It's hard not to contrast that approach to the Steve Spagnolo approach on a day where they barely blitzed at all because they're afraid of Joe Burrow, who's great against the blitz. They did send the house on Burrow on the Bengals last offensive possession to get the ball back on third down. So Spags goes big, blitz wins, Bengals get conservative lose. Now, ana Arumo will say, look, I got Hendrickson out there, winning every snap, and actually we kind of did flush Mahomes out pretty quick on that three man rush. So you do also have to give Mahomes credit for being Patrick Mahomes and setting up that play because I was ready to rail against it then they actually kind of made him move right away. But again, when it's only three rushers, you only have to beat one guy if your Mahomes, and he's so good at doing that. So much happened in this game. I almost don't know where to start because you mentioned, Yeah, Joe Burrows fumble that was a return for a touchdown by the Chiefs defense, which normally would be a decisive play. They also had a long forty seven yard touchdown throw to Rashid Rice, Who's really getting more vertical with his routes. That's not something he was going to do last year. Like both of these routes that he ran, one for the PI and one for the touchdown were not routes he was running last year. That shows growth. And yet Patrick Mahomes threw the ball twenty five times, shook for one hundred and fifty one yards, and he threw two interceptions on the day. So this was kind of like last year's Chiefs and they did run the ball pretty well. But Isaiah Pacheco ended up leaving with an ankle injury. That's concerning. But what did you make of the Chief's passing attack kind of being stuck in mud a little bit like that?
Speaker 6: You know, I came in with one key takeaway and it was lou Anarumo is in a special group of defensive coordinators that has somewhat of an answer for the Kansas City Chiefs no matter what their offense evolves.
Speaker 12: Into from year to year.
Speaker 6: He always seems to have an answer until those final moments when they need that one play to get into field goal range, and the rest of the game he's pretty much on top of it. And case in point, the Keem Davis Gaither interception was an ugly interception as if Mahomes didn't see him or they shifted coverage. I mean he was right there to take it easily. Then he had Cam Taylor Britt talking trash about Xavier Worthy this week, saying all he can do is run a straight line really fast. He's in one on one coverage down the sideline, makes one of the best interceptions you'll ever see. And in between their generating pressure, now, the Chiefs still ran the ball fairly well on the ground, like it was a solid three to four per carry, you know, nineteen for ninety for Pacheco, and you know it's not like they were necessarily getting stopped there. But when it came, you know, drive by drive, as this game stayed close and stayed close, they were able to get stops, they were forcing takeaways, they were doing everything they needed to to give their offense opportunities. And on the same you know, on the flip side of that coin. Joe Burrow, he'd make a nice throw here, He'd make a nice throw here. And then also they'd be in the third down and Spags would blitz him and they'd have to punt like it was just a great tug of war type of game. I don't really take it as like an indicator of the Chiefs offense. I think that it's just Bengals have experience against them. They know how to answer them, even as their offense changes over the years, and I think it's going to always be like that for as long as these coaches are on these teams.
Speaker 1: I disagree slightly Hollywood Brown, which is potentially going to miss the rest of the season. That's news that dropped since we last taped this podcast. He's out for a long time now, he's on injured reserve. Yet he had a setback. Rasie Rice is definitely better. Xavier Worthy ends up with seventeen receiving yards in this game, four targets. We'll see what kind of role he's ready for. It so far hasn't been high volume. And then Pacheco leaves in a walking boot and I think he said crutches Patrick, So I think there are things to be worried about. And then their left tackle Assue Mattea did not have a good game. As you mentioned Wan who catches a touchdown. I mean, so many things happened in this game, even that it won interception by Taylor britt. If this was a one sided game, that's what we would have led with. That thing was incredible. Jamar Chase very quiet in this game. Four for thirty five. My guy Yoshavas gets two touchdowns, but only seven yards in a key drop right before that big blitz I talked about by Spagnolo. Yoshavas had a drop that could have kept that drive going and you know you have the ball late. It kind of reminded me a little bit of the Super Bowl Patrick that they lost, where the Bengals had a bunch of a couple of chances on offense to put it away and for whatever reason just didn't execute.
Speaker 3: Several And it wasn't just Joseavas.
Speaker 2: Trenton Irwin had a ball hit him in the face mask Yep, it could have extended a drive as well. Just those but it's those type of mistakes where it seems like, I know, it's it's cliche you can't make them against Kesh.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If you do that, you survive against another team. But that sliver of an opening like fourth and sixteen, it just keeps happening with this particular team.
Speaker 1: Well, let's listen to the fourth and sixteen call. I'm just curious what the Bengals radio booth sounded like for this one. Patrick, you mentioned John Anthony only played three snaps last week. Just went and checked with their next Gen stats crew. This was one of his three snaps this week. This is technically doesn't count as a snap, but only two steps that counted. And then this one with the penalty.
Speaker 20: Mahomes catches a shotgun snap, drops back, bouncing at the twenty three scrambling left, stays behind the line, broken up. There's a penalty flag on the Bengals rookie.
Speaker 3: Wow, he's gonna call pass interference on that.
Speaker 20: Rashi Rice was the intended receiver. Wow, at the thirty five yard line of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: It's so frustrating to root against the Chiefs because I follow a bunch of Bengals fans that were all like, I can't believe they're letting them do that, Like, yeah, was past interference, but I can't believe the Chiefs are getting a wait, like, no one actually argues that this was the right call. It just feels like we've seen uh this story before, and it's familiar to the people in the game too. Joe Burrow after the game was very frustrated. How frustrated.
Speaker 21: Was frustrating as I've had. Yeah, that's nice being back playing ball, but you know this instincts a little bit. Yeah, I thought I played fast and decisive today. Obviously got a hold onto the ball. That one was disappointing, gifted him six points, So that was frustrating.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, desponded. Check. You seem to be in a good mood though. I think you were happy that this AFC North team lost. I know, I know Patrick was here. He didn't want his Ravens, So I harbor zero bias bias in this.
Speaker 12: I I it was a thrilling game.
Speaker 6: I think I just can't get over to the fact. If you're watching on YouTube, the Joe Burrow looks like he just stepped out of two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 12: These these game like a puka shell necklace and then he's gonna beat there.
Speaker 1: It is it really is telling though about he's in the light ones, like it brings me back, though, like the the box scores are like two thousand and one against Like, like I know, there were actually weren't many defensive stops in this game. So it's a little misleading when you look at you know, four point eight yards per game for the Chiefs five point two for the Bengals, Like, that's not great. The Bengals have three hundred and twenty yards Chiefs to eighty six, Like that's really low. And yet it's mostly because they're having these long, drawn out drives that sometimes end in points, sometimes then in turnovers. But there's not many punts happening. But there's not a ton of points either on offense. All right, let's move on to a game where I expected the defenses to dominate and it was not quite that way. Let's go to Foxborough and listen to another game winner.
Speaker 22: So thirty one yarder to win it from the left, hash Mark Dixon puts it down, Myers gets it away. Ayawks win the game, get over time against the Patriots.
Speaker 1: And there are a lot of twelves with their arms up.
Speaker 22: Right now saying yes, the Seahawks win they go to two and oh under first year ahead coach Mike McDonald, all the way across country. It comes down to four and a half left to play in OG. The Seahawks get the drive they need when they need it, and they go.
Speaker 10: To two and oh.
Speaker 1: And a loss that's gonna hurt because you know, the Patriots are wearing their very best uniforms. They bring back the two thousand and one memories. Like I said, the same sort of formula as a week ago. Oh, running the ball so well, but for all the running and the defense that you want, it's still a quarterbacks game. And Gino Smith, to me, was the story in the league where the quarterback play has not been as great this year, Gino has been about as good as I've seen from any quarterback through two weeks. Thirty three for forty four for three, one hundred and twenty seven yards and a touchdown. In this game, when he held the ball over two and a half seconds, thirteen for seventeen for one point eighty four. The decisions were awesome. And you might say, like you know, a couple of years ago, that box score doesn't stand out to you that much, but this is one where you got to watch the tape because the interior pass rush was really poor. The interior protection was really poor for Gino Smith in this game, and he overcame it. The running game was absolutely terrible for the Seahawks. No Kenneth Walker in this game. Zach Charbonnay ends up fourteen for thirty eight on the ground, getting no help there at least four to five drops in this game, and yet Gino just kept coming and making difficult throws and a lot of times seemingly having two plays when he goes up to the line of scrimmage and picking the right one. I saw some charting on the internet that he was the first quarterback that they've charted to have forty plus dropbacks, an average depth of target over eight yard, and zero off target throws charted. So it's just like he was on point. And sometimes a better pass is beating a good defense and the Chiefs, I mean, rather, the Seahawks escaped a really game effort by the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twelve of fifteen Gino against the Blitz, one hundred and sixty seven yards and a touchdown, just decisive, like hawkeyeish out there with Zach.
Speaker 1: One of those the last Blitz in that number was in overtime on a third and seven where it looked like they were going to get tom Zach Charbnay makes a nice play to avoid a tackle, and much like last.
Speaker 2: Week where we saw like a seeing eyeball to Tyler Lockett, they had a similar pass to Jackson Smith and Jigba today and then over on the other side a solid effort because Romandre Stevenson actually got out gained by Antonio Gibson in this one. The Patriots ran heavy the whole game, including my favorite play of the for the Patriots today.
Speaker 3: They go wildcat on the goal line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jacoby Brissett run out to his wide receiver spot next to the sideline. Remandre goes to the quarterback position. He looks over at Jacoby for the signal and Jacoby looks back at him like you're playing quarterback, go you, So they snap it to him. He scores a touchdown. They take the lead on that play. But again, too much Gino shook. It's just it's all Gino in the In the Greg Rosenthal Bolt offer his love and adoration, Gino.
Speaker 6: Smith WANs today I feel like I'm front row of the Gino Coaster with Greg right next to me, screaming the whole way down, arms up.
Speaker 1: This is a blasts.
Speaker 12: I'm having a great time, you know.
Speaker 6: I think that there it's telling when you look at the box score of this game that thirty of his targets were shared between DK Metcalf and Jackson Smith and Jigman and only two went to Tyler Lockett. Like that's that tells me, all right, I know who I can throw to and I know who's going to be open based on what I'm seeing from this defense. So what you're talking about with having two plays and picking from one, that makes a ton of sense. Otherwise I'm thinking I'm sitting here looking at going how did the Patriots rack up three hundred and ten yards of offensive bset when fifteen for twenty seven nine?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 6: Because, like you said, Greg, their backfield back in two thousand and one, what is this Antoine Smith are we looking at?
Speaker 21: Like?
Speaker 1: They were never actually good with Antoine Smith?
Speaker 3: That was the thing.
Speaker 1: He was like three point five yards per Carrious with Yeah, Givin, Yeah, let's go more like Corey Dyllan that was sweet. Yeah, Corydon that was the one. Uh yeah, Gibson and Ramandri go for one to seventy eight combined. Hunter Henry goes over one hundred yards, almost all that in the first half, and the wide receivers for the Patriots combine, all of them combined for a total of nineteen yards. So they're they have limitations on offense, and yet they're kind of coaching around him. And that's why I think this one will sting. I give Mike McDonald, they're coach a lot of credit because, yeah, Henry's eating him up, and then he moves Julian Love on Henry as an adjustment and they kind of shut him down. So, like, the Patriots had a number of sequences where they could have put this game way you would watch this game. It was very clean, very few penalties, like like no dune turnovers, like it was just looked like a good game between two good teams, where the Patriots had like a little bit of an edge for much of the second half. But a key sequence was they were up three points in the second half driving and Byron Murphy got a sack of Jacoby Brissett on third and six. Byron Murphy and Derek Hall both had great days and it was such a quick pressure Jacoby had no choice. That backed up the field goal, and then they blocked a forty eight yard Joey Sly field goal. The Patriots then get the ball back late in regulation, they actually make a stop force a field goal, so it's tied, so they get a chance to go win it with a two minute drill, but again a Derek Hall quick pressure at the end kills that drive. And then in overtime, the offensive line can't get a yard on third and one. The Patriots actually had the ball first, and I thought Mayo chickened out a little bit. I know, he's a defensive coach. He's probably not built for going for fourth and one on his own thirty nine or so in overtime, because yeah, if you don't get that yard, you basically lose the game. And yet the way the game was going, I just thought they're going to get a yard. Have faith. I know they didn't play before, but have some faith in your offense. He did not, and they lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's I mean, there's a million ways you can split that. Of course, with the benefit of the hanside, he should have gone.
Speaker 1: I thought it at the time. I'm like, there's no way they're gonna get a stop at this point, like the Seahawks are gotta drive out for a field goal.
Speaker 2: But you mentioned Julian Love. It was actually Julian Love that blocked that field golf as well. So not only does he come in and put the clamps on Hunter Henry, who was the leading separation guy who is getting three and zero point three yards of average separation for the New England Patriots who really had trouble separating. Jaylenn Polk had the touchdown as well, but just a tough offensive situation to deal with, and then Seattle's making those plays that ultimately wins them the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fun Keon White ends up with a one point five sacks and a fifty two. I mean, this Patriots team has looked much better through two weeks than any Patriots fans could have possibly expected. They kind of let this one get away. And it's interesting there week one starting left Taco Chucks, a corps for is no longer with the team. This one sort of slipped under the radar. I noticed it this morning that he just left. I don't think he was happy that he was benched last week. There's not a lot of reporting about it, but he was placed on the like did not report list, which you don't normally see in week. No, I don't think he was going to get the start this week. I think he found that out. It was gonna be Verderian Low and he's no longer with the team, So Greg in that vein.
Speaker 6: I have one question for you, since you've seen, you know, both these games up close and personal, how do you analyze this offensive line that can clearly make space in the run game but can't protect Jacobe Presett very well?
Speaker 1: Oh, I think they were Their performance last week was overrated, and they didn't protect Perset well this week. And I just think it's like they're They're running backs are just breaking a million tackles, like that's the last week. Ramondre broke twelve tackles. Antonio Gibson was electric today, breaking tackle after tackle after tackle, and Rimandre ran well too. So I think the O line has been good enough, I guess on the run game and quite bad in past protection. But they're limited and they're showing more more than we expected. They've got a fun little Thursday night game against the Jets coming up. The Jets will be feeling good because they will be coming off of victory fourth and goal from the fourteen.
Speaker 9: Takes the snap another four man rush, She back pedals, looks them.
Speaker 5: Zone fire swad and it is bobbled and dropped short of the goal line by Tyler Boyd.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't have been in the end zone anyway. Seventeen seconds to go.
Speaker 5: The Jets have the takeaway on downs and they're gonna win it here in Nashville.
Speaker 1: W A x Q Bob with Jusey. Why are you laughing?
Speaker 3: We had our second vomit of the That was it.
Speaker 1: That was the vomit I was talking about. I don't know who left that one. Someone on the Titans, the Jets. Oh there it is.
Speaker 12: This is why you gotta watch on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Right here, We did six vomit replays on today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's too much. A lot of vomit lately. Uh, Like Muggy us Open had a lot of vomit going on, Like Yannick Center was his vomiting all over the place. That was a twenty four to seventeen victory by the Jets over the Titans in Nashville, a game that was very entertaining all over the place. Never had a feel of who was gonna win this game? Back and forth, and I give Aaron Rodgers and this Jets team a lot of credit because I felt like zho to two with the Patriots coming up, like it just was getting a little anxious there. And in the second half of this game, there were a bunch of moments where someone had to make a play and Aaron Rodgers and his receivers made those play. There was a third and one to Garrett Wilson that was awesome where he throws it over Wilson's shoulder and he makes like a Willie Mays like a catch on a nice throw by Rogers. There was another third down conversion to Mike Williams late in this game where he made a really nice catch And these were just individual plays. It does not feel like the scheme is making them win. But when they needed to in the second half of this game, Rogers got it done. They were able to run the ball, and they were able to stop the run. All the things that they weren't able to do in Week one, and that what they weren't able to do in the first half of this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also in week one, Breze Hall had a couple of drops and then today he comes out makes a great catch in the end zone. The quick game really got active in the second half, which pressure for Rogers is something that we're going to watch all season long, coming off that Achilles injury. Under pressure in this game, he was two of five for six yards.
Speaker 1: He was zero for three last week. I think under pressure was the stat too, and he was really trying to get rid of it quickly after a while.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and so to avoid that, we're just trying to not have him under pressure at all. But the turnovers for will Levis dooming the Titans yet again, not as disastrous as last week, but it was another situation where will Levis is trying to make a play on third down in the red zone, gets undercut, he's in mid air and he tries to shovel the all back to Tajy Spears and he wants up turn it over in the red zone.
Speaker 3: Just like, how do you get that out of a particular player.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you can, I don't know. After the game, Callahan, you know, his coach Brian Kelly and said it was dumb. It was the exact same thing he did last week and he cost this points. It is what is He's a grown up and he knows better. So I was really irritated. And yes, everyone who watched the game knew how irritated Callahan was when it was on the TV.
Speaker 8: Third in goal, lets looking, Levis trip, you're trying to shovel it that paul is free leve A chets Haven. We saw last week Levis trying to do too much that it just happened again.
Speaker 1: Williams jumps on top of it, the absolute clearest what the f are you doing? Lip reading going on there with Callahan? Great call there by I an eagle. Yeah, it's it's too bad shock because I know will Evis is gonna get picked on all week for that play. But he made a lot of really great plays in this game too, but that one is the one that I'll remember the most.
Speaker 6: Oh, for the love of Tampa Bay, Jamis Winston. Will I mean, you just went through a week of surrender Cobra shame online and then you go and do this. Look, man, hard habit. Their habits are hard to break, okay, and this's gonna be a tough one for him to break. But I actually think that because I'm looking at the box score here and I'm thinking, man, this is a very even game. Statistically, say for the turnovers, that's the differential. That's usually what's the difference in most football games. I mean even Bristol fourteen for sixty two, Tony Pollard seventeen for sixty two, like very similar. And then I come down to, all right, well, how did the Jets d up winning this game on the fourth quarter? Players who are experienced, who make plays and don't hurt their team, and that's the difference. Like that right there at Gold to Go situation, trying to do too much and you turn the ball over. Aaron Rodgers not trying to do too much in certain situations where he's leading them back, you know, from a deficit or trying to take the lead on the road.
Speaker 12: It's I think it's that simple.
Speaker 6: And sometimes in these matchups, maybe he'll break that eventually as part of his maturation.
Speaker 12: I just spoke highly.
Speaker 6: If Sam Darnold earlier, maybe we could have a similar trajectory with Will Levis. But as of right now, this is something you're probably going to continue to see until he gets pounded into his head that hey, stop doing that, just take the sack, don't hurt.
Speaker 12: Us that much. And it sounds like that was the difference in this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was, And yet look he ends up with thirty eight yards on the ground. One was a totally great escape to set up an opportunity. Late in this game, he had a dime down the field to Calvin Ridley that would have been a long touchdown that goes right through Calvin Ridley's hands. And then he has another long throw to Calvin Ridley that I mean is a beautiful throw is also fortunate that it somehow fit through like a seeing eyeball, like a key hold where Sauce Gardner was, and Calvin Ridley makes an incredible catch that was the kind of the experience of Calvin Ridley. He makes the impossible catch while diving, but doesn't catch the one right to him. And I thought, other than that play, Levis played pretty well in this game. But you know, he also throws interceptionally and it's just like, yeah, there's nothing perfect. And yet just despite like what Levis did for this game, and despite the Jets winning this game, they don't feel great about it either because they lose Jermaine Johnson to what was quickly called an achilles injury. He was very emotional being taken off the field and it just that did not look good. And then I think it didn't get as much attention, but it did to me. CJ. Moseley got a toe injury in this game and was doubtful pretty quickly, and that's why I was impressed and surprised that their run defense turned it around. You mentioned how the numbers all looked the same shook, and that was right. But in the first half the Titans did what I expected. They ran the ball really well and the Jets couldn't do anything, and then the second half it was reversed. So I thought this was a nicely earned win by the Jets because, like I said, Rogers wasn't perfect, but when he needed to, those those one on one plays to Williams, to Garrett Wilson a couple of times, and then the touchdown to Breest Hall, they were all impressive. And they took advantage of a punt block that was a massive moment in this game too, to set up a short field. And they have a nice little backfield here with Braylen Allen, who gets two touchdowns in this game too, one as a receiver, one as a runner, and I think he's a real legit player here and yeah, a little fun, there's any football. Let's listen to Rodgers, who was in good spirits after the game.
Speaker 2: What does first one is a jet uniform?
Speaker 16: Technically my second We all know that somehow that first one counts four important plays. Well I don't know if they count on that, but yeah, it feels great.
Speaker 3: It was great, the QB winning real conflict.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yet again the QB wins. You know, not a QB stat but a nice moment for Aaron Rodgers. All right, let's head to Jacksonville where you're Browns tried to get off the schneide from the.
Speaker 23: Thirty three eight seconds. Here's the snap, Lauren. It's under pressure, plushed out to the right, Lawrence off his back foot, lofting put corn of the end zone, knocked away incomplete.
Speaker 1: No time, No time? Is that gonna do it? Yes, it's over.
Speaker 23: Kevin Stefanski runs the midfield and the Browns will survive.
Speaker 1: For the first time. It's Andrew Siciliano on w k r K eighteen thirteen. Browns get it done. It's time for the Sunday Drive presented by the all new Toyota Camry, and yes to you know you're along for the ride. Here shook and the Browns fans are didn't expect to really sweat it late in this game, but you did no.
Speaker 12: Better car to ride into this bumpy journey than the Toyota camera. There we go, there's your plug.
Speaker 6: It was an up and down game for the Browns, and in fact, the Browns left a lot of points on the field. Deshaun Watson did look better. He led a pretty strong opening drive. They commanded this game thanks to their defense. The twenty twenty three Browns defense returned to form on Sunday. Trevor Lawrence had a really rough go in the first half. It was really about I think it was five for sixteen for like nineteen yards at one point before he hit a twenty four yard pass to his tight end, and then the Jaguars found life late third early fourth suddenly made it interesting.
Speaker 12: But again the Browns defense comes through.
Speaker 6: They'd been on the field for what felt like the entire game, even though Cleveland won the time of possession battle, and they get a sack of Trevor Lawrence on for a safety which gives them an eighteen to thirteen lead, which is ultimately how they won this game. But they made it interesting, and it was a game that looked they'd still miss Nick Chubb like they had Jerome Ford seven for sixty four. Most of that was on one long run on a fourth and short where Jameis Winston had had QB sneaked in a previous situation, and this time they hit it off around the end. Deontay form was nice with fourteen for forty two, but this was very much not an offensive you know, spectacular there. It was just most of the Browns defense returning to form and limiting the Jaguars significantly for most of this game, and then just clinging on at the end this game and nice roadwin amid a sometimes driving rainstorm in Jacksonville for the Browns.
Speaker 2: To get to one on one, and you mentioned shook them clinging on, there was almost an opportunity for them to not cling on. The Jags use their final time out with a minute and thirty seven seconds to go. They come back in and Kevi Stefanski has Deshaun Watson run a bootleg and DeShawn throws the ball away. Josh Hans Allen is pressuring him the Jags didn't have any more timeouts if he just slides down.
Speaker 3: Then they never even get to.
Speaker 2: The point where Trevor Lawrence is throwing the ball into the end zone zeros on the clock.
Speaker 6: Not only did he run a boot leg, he ran a bootleg to the left side, like if you're going to roll a quarterback out, roll him to his throwing arms side. At least it felt like Stefanski trying to get a little gutsy in a situation and looked like, look at me, the big brain play caller, and it almost blew up in their face.
Speaker 12: That happened to them a few times prior to that.
Speaker 6: Patrick The reason they were in that situation because they were on a methodical drive where they were gonna put that game away. Deontay Foreman is running hard, he picks up a first down and gets called for offensive face mask and then all hell breaks loose. The Browns get called for back to back holdings and suddenly it's like third and thirty seven and that's the best thing they can come up with when they really should have been draining clock.
Speaker 12: So again, fortunate to escape.
Speaker 6: But the Browns defense, after struggling mightily against Dallas last week, does look more like it was before, and they get the job done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at Watson, who throws the ball thirty four times for one hundred and eighty six yards. There's no en Joku in this game obviously because he's hurt. Amari Cooper has eight targets for eleven yards. It's very early, but there has been some Amari Cooper is kind of the receiver Josh Jacobs, where his seasons are either like, hey, that guy should have maybe made All Pro or his fantasy owners are furious at him. And right now it's trending towards the fantasy owners are furious at Cooper. But we'll see, like, how do you feel about how Watson played in this game? And then yeah, Lawrence too going fourteen for thirty ends up hitting that big a big play to Brian Thomas who only makes big plays a sixty six yarder and a twenty eight yarder. I love Brian Thomas Junior. But yeah, to talk to me about how you thought Watson looked.
Speaker 6: Well the Cooper thing. First off, two big drops in two weeks. Watson put a ball on the numbers, a beautiful throw and he just dropped it.
Speaker 12: So that's concerning.
Speaker 6: He has not really gotten into a rhythm Watson did a good job of building a rapport with Jerry Judy, who made a couple of really nice key catches on third down, including one that was like tipped in the air, and he managed to stay in bounce at the sticks for a first down the first half.
Speaker 12: That was encouraging to see Elijah Moore got involved.
Speaker 6: David Bell made a nice couple catches, but really, for me, from a Watson perspective, it was just the fact that he didn't look overwhelmed and sped up and like he had no idea what he was doing, which is primarily what he looked like in week one, more controlled, composed and put the ball on the mark for the most part, never really got out of sorts, scrambled a little bit, and did a much better job of kind of like game managing, but a little bit more than that, which is anything positive for the Browns will take it considering where he's come from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is encouraging. And these are two teams where to me it just especially with the fan bases, there was like a certain sort of desperate that just like, oh yeah, the vibes were really off for both teams, and the Jaguars now are the team where.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the vibes are down horrendous.
Speaker 2: If you go back to week thirteen, the Jags have won one of their last seven games, and the team that they beat was the Panthers, So they're tied.
Speaker 3: That doesn't over that stretch that they get the tiebreaker because they have to win.
Speaker 1: They're gonna start maybe not even considering Panthers wins as actual wins in the standings. You'll get like three quarters of a win or something. Just because we we love Andrews so much. Let's listen to his call of a big time safety in this game.
Speaker 23: Trevor Lawrence shotgun in the end zone with ETN to his right. First down, here's the snap back to throw under pressure.
Speaker 1: Alex Wright's got him. He throws them out of the back of the end zone. Safety. I love it. Built for that, absolutely also built for it, Nick suck. So, Nick, what we're gonna do here. We're gonna give you just a little little bit of a breathe. It's like you're Josh Jacobs today. You have like thirty carries. You're gonna take the next couple of games off. We're gonna bring in Kevin Patrick for a couple and then we'll bring you back for the rest of the show. So we will see you in a second, and yeah, everyone listening, will be back with Kevin Patrick coming at you after the great and yeah, by the way, that was a Sunday Drive presented by the all new hybrid Toyota Camra. Whatever your vibe, it's a camera vibe. Learn more at Toyota dot com. Slash Cameron. Yeah, back on NFL Daily and back on the show, Kevin Patrick coming at you. So when we were the Around the NFL podcast, we often had Kevin Patra on on Sunday nights and he would often talk about the Lions. And that was a tough era of Lions football. There was a whole season there where, yeah, it was hard to find wins. And I thought, we're gonna have Patrick back in in this new era of Lions football, and we're gonna talk bucks Lions and it's gonna be great. And yet we're leading with the highlight of Baker Mayfield running around like he's Sonny Jurgensen.
Speaker 9: Empty backfield for Mayfield now picks that left leg barton the center, snaps the ball bill high.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a quarterback run by Bayfield.
Speaker 22: Inside the five, three to the two tall on touchdown Tapathay Baker Mayfield back to back runs and the Bucks we take the lead.
Speaker 1: W f us Jean decker Hoff, Yeah, Kevin, sorry about this one, but uh love having you on and uh just the Lions guy. You're an incisive analyst. So tell me where it went wrong for your guys here today.
Speaker 24: Well, let's put it this way. Todd Bowles crew came in and out gritted Dan Campbell's got I mean the Lions gained almost two hundred and fifty yards more, twelve more first sounds. The defense sacked of five times to zero sacks for the Bucks. It was just very lopsided and the Lions found a way to shoot themselves in the foot at every turn, basically, whether it was the end of the half, coming down and not getting a field goal that would have changed the complete context at the end of the game where they were now having to go for a touchdown and instead of kicking a field goal to go up and have the lead. Late Jared Goff looked skittish again, kind of like he did last week, even though they didn't have any sacks. Every time he got pressure on him, he just threw it to No.
Speaker 10: One.
Speaker 24: His second touchdown was pretty bad. Either there was really bad miscommunication with where Tim Patrick was supposed to go, or he just panic bailed and through it because there was a guy in his face.
Speaker 1: Panic bailed is kind of what he does, even in good times. They've done a good job protecting him. And yeah, he had those the turnovers last week. That's concerning. You mean the interception there, that the second interception by Goff, And yeah, I didn't realize it was so dramatic. I guess if you're gonna lose, you feel better about it if you more than double the other team's yardage. And yeah, the Bucks only had two hundred and sixteen yards in this game, and yet you know they also were short a lot of players. Patrick, including via Devea, gets hurt in this game.
Speaker 3: And it's not just that.
Speaker 2: Coming into this game, I thought that the Buccaneers had a great chance to win. Then we get the reports that Antoine Winfield Junior is going to be out for an extended period of time. And then, as you mentioned, Videvea goes down against the team that can absolutely run the ball against anybody, and you're thinking, well, here comes Detroit, but ultimately Baker Mayfield. The play before that touchdown run, there was another eleven yard run by Baker Mayfield, which is probably why he called his own number. On the very next play, he puts his foot in the turf and absolutely dusts a defender. Just that nasty the right man from Baker Mayfield on the play before that. They made the plays down the stretch until until ultimately they did. There's a weird decision where one of two teams today inside of a minute who inexplicably threw the ball when another team only had one time out.
Speaker 3: It gave Detroit another chance, but it was just it was too much Baker making key plays and key moments.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I think the Lions came in thinking they could throw the ball over that you know, hurt secondary, and then you didn't see them even really try to run. And then vidave and it's like vitavea when I was like, oh, we can run the ball now, and you got David Montgomery started getting going, and it just I understood the game plan, but it clearly wasn't going to work, even even against the secondary. And credit credit Todd Bowles defense. They you know, they came and made some plays at the end, especially the secondary, but it just can't get out of this loss without thinking that the Lions pooped the bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one that they will regret. The intercept for golf. Yeah, to me, here are pretty decisive in a game that they're moving the ball. But at halftime, Dan Campbell speaks to Laura Oakman. You know, they're now required a few more in game interviews, and we actually got something pretty fun out of this one.
Speaker 3: Listen on the head coach here, all right, totally screwed.
Speaker 2: My team is at his mind, we're going for the Clockett, It's not a hurricane, and I made a decision that I shouldn't have made, and our team's gonna have to overcome it.
Speaker 3: That's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: M They did not, Kevin. That was like a game management situation where they kind of blew the clock at the end of the first half. Like, yeah, what have you kind of thought about the Campbell experience and that that situation and just just everything about how this team sort of started this season.
Speaker 24: Well, I mean, you take the good with the bat. I think Campbell does have that little game management issue he always has. He's gotten better, but it's still something that pops its head up every once in a while, kind of like the timeout in the San Francisco game in the playoffs when they could not afford to take a time out at the end at the end of the game. But you know, he also is himself, and he you know, went for a fake pun on fourth and twelve and is backed up in his own end zone and they went forward again on fourth down and then that drive stalled out. So I mean, you take the good with the bad. I think this team still has a lot of positivity. The offense needs to wake up. It still just looks a little off, a little rusty, because like last year, last week we saw a lot of offenses look rusty since they didn't play in the preseason, and then they kind of kicked it into gear this week. The Lions are still one of those that I think needs to find their way, and that's why I was surprised that they didn't come out pounding the ball on the ground, even against the good Bucks run defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jamison Williams has a long catch in this game, ends up with only five for seven to nine only. I mean, that's a good game. But after the big play early, you thought he might have right mon right, Saint Brown got a little banged up in this game, but he had eleven for one hundred and nineteen yards. So we'll just keep an eye on Saint Brown. And yeah, just shout out to Chris gotto it. And I noticed that on tape last week that he's had a lot of injuries in his career, and I thought he had lost some juice and it might be one of those things where he's now more than a year away from those major injuries and he's got a lot of that juice back. Seven for one seventeen and he's so effective out of the slot. They have a great one to two combination. And look, the NFC South does a great one to two combination. We have two of the better teams in the league so far in the NFC South. The Bucks are two and oh and the Saints are two and oh. After going to Dallas and put it on the Cowboys, Derek Carr hit me.
Speaker 3: Under center's car play action for Jamal Williams is.
Speaker 25: Looking deep, but he's drawing deep and he's going for shaheed Shahey.
Speaker 1: Thanks the guts to fuck Goose, say good light a far.
Speaker 3: No flax seventy yards.
Speaker 2: You can be.
Speaker 3: Greedy, my friend, because it makes fy touchdown.
Speaker 1: That is Mike Coss of w w L. Yeah, let's just throw a perfectly placed bomb to Receid to heat in the first quarter of every game this year, Derek Carr, let's due fifty seven yard touchdown later to Alvin Kamara. In this game, they win forty four to seventeen. They put up thirty in the first half for the second week in row thirty five, this time actually five straight touchdows. They start their season on offense when Carr has the ball with fifteen straight scoring drives. What the heck is happening in this New Orleans Saints team, Kevin patra, I mean, they are the story of the NFL through two weeks.
Speaker 5: They have to be.
Speaker 24: And Clint Kubiak is already getting his own float. It's sort of it's gonna happen like they're gonna throw a parade for him and only him. Because this offense is completely different than what we saw last year. We hoped that was gonna be the case coming in, but in the preseason and what we got was kind of like, ugh, and you know, Dennis s Aalen kept saying, well, this is what it's going to look like. But we don't necessarily always believe what Dennis Salnd says. So but the for through two weeks, they've been phenomenal. Like you said, fifteen straight. They scored six straight touchdowns to open the game, and it was over by then. I didn't even think Dak played that badly. He got his receiver tripped on the first interception and then he just was playing heave ball with it during the second one. I didn't think their offense played that badly. They just stalled out and kicked field goals. But the Saints, when Alvin Kamara can get to the edge, it's just game over. And he had one of those like magic runs that he usually does where he came out through the other side of the hole that you didn't see and he just slid off and tackler and he scored his fourth touchdown. Like he is a perfect fit for this offense. And I think Carr is becoming confident. You can see the confidence oozing from everyone. Every one, like Crystal Lobby is making contested catches and blocking his butt off on the runs. It's just up, up and down the roster. The offense has been ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And also maybe Trevor Pinning was sandbagging last.
Speaker 1: Year excellent, excellent, and training camp practices he was sandbagging when everyone there was like he was struggling, and preseason he was sandbagging.
Speaker 2: I mean, just over the course of the game, you're wondering, like, hey, are Micah Parsons and Tank Lawrence playing in this game? I mean there was a late I mean not not a late hit, but Derek Carr did get hit, at least he got touched on that touchdown pass to Rashid Shih'd. But but after that, just the play calls as well. And oddly enough, Alva Kamara's uh seven touchdown game, excuse me, six touchdown game also came against the Mike Zimber defense. And then he has a chance to get five Derek Carr sneaks one in instead of a handoff to Kamara, but that could have easily been five touchdowns. It's just like pick and choose what's going on here? And then on the other side, yeah, I mean, Dak Prescott is Dak Prescott, right, they get pressure on him. He completes almost all of his passes under pressure, gets a touchdown as well, has a perfect passer hitting under pressure. But as Patrick pointed out, there's just this's the second consecutive game in AT and T Stadium where the team has scored more than twenty eight points in the first half. All right, the Packers came in and did it, and the Saints have come in and done it again. You changed defensive coordinators. It didn't seem to matter for Dallas today.
Speaker 24: Well, Dallas is the run game. I think is becoming an issue for no run game because they can't convert those third and shorts and then they're kicking long field goals. It's a massive zeke. There is a huge committee, Like they all took like five snaps and like so there's no there's no issue. And then by the time the second half rolled around, they were just in chuck it all over the park mode because they were down so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be careful, you know it when you can't run the ball, Like, it's hard to play with a lead. I think it is hard to make comeback because of what you said, you need to be effective in short yarded situations, and I don't. I think they were just pretty surprised, as we all are, for the Saints offense to put it on them like that in the first half. I mean, when Jamal Williams is going eight for thirty nine, I'm just I think that's the blocking. Like I could not believe watching the tape over and you can see it in the highlights today too, from the Saints last week and then also today, how cohesive the offensive line looks doing the zone blocking on those outside zone runs because you can see it. You don't need to be an expert. The synchronicity is there. They're all running in unison and Kamara is the perfect running back as you said, Patrick for it. He has one hundred and seventy yards from scrimmage in this game and four touchdowns. The agenda that I've had the last two years that I've been put that have just been pushing that. Like I swear if you watch the film, Alvin Kamara is not washed. Like maybe he's missing that last little extra gear to take the long runs. But if he had some blocking, he would be getting eights and twelves and fifteens because he makes guys miss and now he's not getting touched for the first four or five yards. He's making good reads. He's one of the smarting smartest running backs I think of all time. Let's just listen to another Alvin Kamara touchdown call, just because it's fun to.
Speaker 3: Second and seven. Shihat in motion across the formations. Bar takes the snaff most the thrown. Here comes pressure. He hits Camara across the camera.
Speaker 25: Win the wrong don't sign Dallas Coding thirty five Carty Gulla paka you la going against him, not Alvin Camaro, See you later, Bar touchdown Alvin Camaro fifty seven yards.
Speaker 1: This is a Saints offensive line that invested a lot of high picks in their line, including Talise Fuaga, and it's it's happening. They were without marsha On Latimore in this game and they still got it done. Tyron Matthew another game where he gets a turnover, So that's two weeks in a row. Kind of keeping an eye on, like every three or four years, Honey Badger pops up with like a first team All Pro year. He's gonna have one of the craziest Hall of Fame canadacies someday because he's got the first team All pros and the game changing plays in the Super Bowl ring to do it. So this could be a monster season for him. And just before we go, I just want to mention every week on this show, I'm gonna mention what's the throw of the year so far? Because people were questioning me when I said Anthony Richardson had that throw in the first quarter of the first game of the year, and I said that might be the throw of the year. And every week on this show, we're going to have a belt for what the throw of the year. And the candidate for this week is that car throw that we led this game with to Shahed in stride while getting hit, just before getting hit, all the way down the heel the field to Shahed. Do you guys think that is a better throw than the Anthony Richardson throw from week one?
Speaker 26: No?
Speaker 1: No, okay, it was great. It was the best one I saw today. You know, someone can come at me if they saw someone better. That was a ridiculously good throw. But Rat Richardson keeps the belt. He's got the belt for at least oh and two. But he's got the belt one more week. Uh, Patra, you're keeping the belt there. I know you're playing somewhat hurt tonight. There's you know, family drama going on there with just a just.
Speaker 24: A baby sick. No drama took us a sick just a sick toddler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just say it like you're gonna give me in trouble. Vomiting was the theme of Uh, we've had a good bit of it season. And yeah, I love uh love that picture in your background of you and and your beautiful wife, uh Bree. And so it's great to have you on NFL Daily, Patra, and we will do it again. So we're gonna say goodbye to Patra uh for a minute. We're gonna welcome uh Nick shook Beck in on the other side, and we're gonna hear one of my favorite touchdown calls of the entire day in Arizona.
Speaker 9: Snap to Murray three step drop looking left now in trouble, spins left now, steps up, running left, Murray breaks a tackle looking ends on firing left side, a sliding.
Speaker 11: Touch for a touchdown, and it's Higgins making the grab.
Speaker 1: Tyler Murray does it again. More Murray magic.
Speaker 9: I have absolutely no idea what to say about bad play.
Speaker 1: I don't either, because when you drop up the dot, Kyler Murray's dot just goes in a figure eight and then around and through and it was part of what I'm just gonna say. It was a magical first half by this Cardinals offense. The Cardinals get it done forty one to ten. Kyler Murray has a perfect passer rating on the day, first Cardinals quarterback to do that since Kurt Warner. It was thirty one to three early in the third quarter before the Rams even touched the ball after halftime, and everything that the Cardinals wanted to be this year was in this game. James Connor, Kyler Murray, and Amari de Marcado combined to rush for two hundred and two twenty seven yards just between the three of them, which is that's big time on only twenty eight carries. And it wasn't like a bunch of forties in a fifties. It was a whole lot of eight and tens and twelves. Kyler Murray also five for five on throws over twenty air yards for one hundred and fifty six yards and three touchdowns. I mean, he was just incredible. Patrick. And we'll get to the negative Rams side of this, but I do just want to give the Cardinals their full amount of love. They've been in the darkness here for a little while, and it really feels like this is a matchup. They've been blown out so many times that maybe this is their time. That's like, hey, we're not one of the worst teams in the league anymore.
Speaker 2: No, And it was emphatic Kyler tweeting a yawn emoji like seconds after the game ended. They couldn't get to him on the touchdown that you mentioned. And then all the talk coming off of last week didn't see Marvin Harrison Junior in the end zone, people taking his quote out of context of him saying, hey, it's not my job just to feed Marvin Harris and it's my job to read the defense.
Speaker 3: Well, he did both. He did both today had the bomb to Marvin and then it's.
Speaker 1: Just four for one, thirty for two touchdowns for Marvin Harrison. I probably should have mentioned that too, like there were so many superlatives.
Speaker 2: To get to, but ultimately it's it's just one of those things where healthy Kyler, you have to defend the play twice and we said that a lot of guys run nobody scrambles like this where on the play you mentioned, there's three guys diving at diving at his ankles and getting nothing but air, and then Kyler just pops right up. He's he's neo matrixing, dodging people with his slides, like when he puts it all together shook. It's like, wait, how do they not win every game?
Speaker 6: So I live near a cemetery here, and I promise this will be connected. And I often spend my time watching cats, groundhogs and squirrels chase each other around this cemetery. That is Kyler Murray scrambling. You can pick any one of those three creatures. That's Kyler Murray scrambling. You can't catch him.
Speaker 1: Wait, you can't see that while walking by er? Do you go there to seek it out? Just for some like late night under Oh no, it's.
Speaker 12: In view from the home.
Speaker 1: I see it all the time.
Speaker 6: And before the trees got cut down, the groundhogs used to climb the trees. It's crazy out here in Cleveland. But that is Kyler Murray scrambling. And the beauty of it is that he knows how to keep his eyes downfield. We saw this last week in Buffalo, and as I'm watching that game, I'm thinking, Man, I can't wait to watch this guy play football all year. I think I even wrote that in QB Index, which you can check out at NFL dot com slash QB index.
Speaker 1: Nice plug.
Speaker 12: And so I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 6: This game and I turn it on and before you know it, it's fourteen to nothing and it's two touchdown passes to the guy that he couldn't see last week in as Gus Johnson has famously called him, Maserati mars like Marvin Harrison gets going, he's force feeding him early and then he just settles into the offense and they're a machine rolling through the rams like they had no answer for him. So it's a beautiful thing to watch Kyler when he's healthy, operate this offense and see the Cardinals kind of just develop under Jonathan Gannon and take these next step forward. I'm not gonna say they're gonna put this type of point total up every week, forty one points. You don't see that every week from every team. But that is, like like Patrick said, you got to defend the plate twice. That's what makes him special. That's why they paid him that money, and that's why I think we all forgot about him last year because he was you know, hurt for the first half of the year coming back from injury, and now we should all be paying attention to then, not because they're gonna win a ton of games necessarily, but because they're gonna be fun to watch. Now we start to finish every week because of Kyler Murray.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Now this is a division matchup, and we'll see how the defense holds up every week. They got they got after Matthew Stafford. In this game, the Rams only with two hundred and forty five total yards. The Cardinals go seven point nine yards for play, four hundred and eighty nine yards. That's some twenty nineteen stats.
Speaker 3: Bring it.
Speaker 1: Bringing offense back the Arizona Cardinals. I absolutely love it well.
Speaker 2: Coming into the game, the reason I picked the Rams was because the Rams young defensive line played great against Detroit and I asked who was going to provide pressure for the Arizona Cardinals. They answer was Dennis Gardnick. Yeah, he had three sacks today. He got pressure on twenty five percent of his pass rushes. He got four pressures. So you do the map, he's only he's only got twelve pass rush snaps and he's coming through getting three sacks out of those getting all those barbarians. They were solid on defense on Zavian Collins played a good game as well and just really bothered the Rams.
Speaker 3: But the issue with the Rams is that they've all fallen apart Gregon. It's hard hurt. They're so hurt.
Speaker 1: Right, So rob Havenstein does return for this game. He's their swing tackle, but they've had so many injuries up front, and then they lose Cooper Cup during this game to what was called an ankle injury. He was seen leaving with a boot. It happened on his last catch of the game, which was I believe it was the second quarter where was a twenty four yard catch and run and defender fell on his ankle. He ends up with four for thirty seven. So suddenly you know, DeMarcus Robinson to two at well. Jordan Winnington and Tyler Johnson are the receivers. The running game gets absolutely nothing done. Kyron Williams actually gets out gained by Blake Korham because they gave Koram some garbage time snaps late when they finally took Stafford out. One of those guardex sacs was a force fumble on Stafford with like a minutes left when they're trailing forty one to ten. It was absolutely crazy that he was still playing at that point when this is the team that doesn't play any of their guys. Just a brutal day for the Rams, and it's gonna get more brutal because if they listened to our text report here from Jordan Rodrieg. Of course NFL dailies Jordan rodrig she's texting her thoughts from Rams game, and well, she seems pretty harsh and I get it, like she writes the Arizona Awards Offensive Identity and these are her words on its sleeve. At the end of last year, all spring and summer, and the Rams defense still seemed totally unprepared to counter the heavier stuff and their run multiplicity. Jordan says, I even asked Reley about this directly last week, and they just did not seem prepared going ball control. He acknowledged all that, and they still look so unprepared. Sean McVay didn't directly answer when I asked him if he felt his defense was adequately prepared for how Arizona would attack them. I am a gas that a team so often ahead of the schmatic curve doesn't seem to be built to counter heavier run concepts and personnel so many teams are using. And yeah, when you think about who's in the division, the forty nine Ers will certainly send some of that. So this Rams run defense kind of got ran off the field at the beginning of the game. And yeah, Jordan mentions also the offensive line was a disaster. One of the worst Rams games that you can possibly imagine. Zero to two for the first time since two thousand and eleven, and somehow this is their first loss at Arizona since twenty fourteen, and yeah, giving up forty one points doing it. They have the forty nine Ers next week, and so it's getting late early for the Rams. That is also true of the home team. In the next game, we're gonna talk about the paper bags were out in Carolinas.
Speaker 27: To Dobbins trying to stretch it.
Speaker 3: It's got the corner.
Speaker 5: Dobbins left sideline thirty twenty one man to be cuts in side ten by the episode Touchdown, Chargers.
Speaker 28: Shake k Dobbins, Gary Anderson Brooks. That was Gary Anderson old school flip into the end zone.
Speaker 1: I love the reference by Matt money Smith and Daniel Jeremiah k y Sr Dickey Dobbins with the forty three yard touchdowner. I guess he's just gonna have like a big ol' run. Every single week's Dobbins Nation population at least two. Me and Spice Rack. We're loving it. But everyone's welcome. If you listen to the NFL Daily, you're in Dobbins Nation too. Phil Wesseling a big Ohio State fan. I know he's a big Dobbins guy. Making it happen. This was exactly Patrick how Jim Harbaugh would want to draw it up. Just squeeze the life out of him, defensively, run the ball for what two hundred and nineteen yards and the kind of a ho hum twenty six to three victory for the.
Speaker 2: Chart And on that flip into the end zone where JK Dobbins lands directly on his back. After the game, Joe Ortiz, the GM for the Chargers, said, hey, no more flips. JK dobbins flipping career into the end zone comes to a close and his yards per carry craters.
Speaker 3: He was at thirteen last week.
Speaker 2: Now he's down to a pedestrian seven point seven yards per carry. In this resurgent comeback, season comeback Player of the Year candidate early on JK Dobbins, and really there was only a couple of bright spots for Carolina in this game.
Speaker 4: J C.
Speaker 2: Horn had an interception, then comes right back, gets toasted by Quentin johnston Is hand fighting him down on the goal line. Justin Herbert hits him for a touchdown. Pass there there was. It was very difficult for Bryce Young and the offense to really get anything going. He throws ball twenty six times, eighteen completions for just eighty four yards. Deontay Johnson had had some issues getting away from defenders. Adam Thielen beats him in that regard, but again, there's not a lot of passing numbers to go around. And then Chewba Hubbard gets six point four yards of carry. Some of that comes late. It's just where do you find the positivity for Carolina. Dave can Allis comes out after the game says Bryce is still our quarterback.
Speaker 3: So there's that they're sticking with none.
Speaker 1: It's crazy that we're in week two and he's saying that about the number one overall draft pick from last season. You know, I feel bad for him, obviously. It's uncomfortable to watch. He just seems a little out of it, And I think it shouldn't get lost that these two games this year are magnitudes worse than his average game last year, and I would say would rank maybe even worse than anything we saw. Let's put up just the next and chart of his passes. If you have him eric behind the glass, and you just see a guy that literally didn't attempt a pass that went over twelve air yards, much less complete one. Everything is near the line of scrimmage, like like Patrick said, twenty six attempts for eighty four yards and he just looked lost. He was asked about a possible, you know, lack of confidence after the game, and he said he was confident in the Lord. And I just see almost even with his like footbar footwork. My friend dat boy Wolf on Twitter pointed this out, but I was watching it too, Like even his drop look like his drop back from center and shotgun look weird, like they're in slow motion. Just something's funky here, shook. And I actually think it would help him maybe to sit him down for a couple of games. But I guess, why would you think it would be better when he comes back? I don't know, it's just a very difficult situation.
Speaker 12: That's the issue. Is the only way you're gonna get better is getting more reps.
Speaker 6: Like it's just you worry if I think about this with Justin Fields and the way he played in Chicago, Like, are you gonna break him? I don't know if the Bears broke him, but I'm worried that the Panthers are breaking you know, Bryce Young with the way that he's played so far this year and last year, because for you to describe his first two starts as exponentially worse than last year last year was already really ugly. I look at the pressure numbers today, one for six or fifteen yards in a pick, and he's clearly not comfortable, you know, in the pocket or at the speed of this game. And it's only getting worse for them. So, like, where do you go from here other than continue to play him and hope that something turns around. Dave Canalis is supposed to be the guy that's going to get him back on track, and through two weeks they've been completely uncompetitive. They have not stood a chance against either of these teams they've played, and it seems like Bryce is only getting worse. So the only thing you do is keep trying. And before you define insanity, I guess right.
Speaker 1: His literal first throw of this season, I don't want to get it lost was an interception that was last week, like his first throw, his second play of the season. Last week he ran into his own teammate butt fumble style. He didn't fumble the ball, but he ran into like it was just almost like he started with this crazy negativity and then today the game starts five for seven. Okay, that sounds good for twelve yards an interception, we go positive to get to the tar side of it, Yeah, Patrick or no?
Speaker 2: You want to talk price, Well, I mean it's it's a negative for the Panthers, but it's it's the fact that it's not that like their defense is keeping them in these games and then Bryce is wrecking them at the end. Quinton Johnston's second touchdown. We had two Quinton Johnston touchdowns today for the Chargers. He's running across the zone in the back of the end zone and the Panthers defenders just release him to turf. It's like, all right, the turf will get that guy. And the turf did not get that guy.
Speaker 1: Let's listen. I haven't heard this one, but now that I know more about that play, I'm looking forward to how Money called.
Speaker 27: It, Chargers three to five on third down. This is the eleventh play of the drive. Dobbins in the backfield, Disley inhearsed to the right, qu to the left, Herbert play action to throw end zone wide open touchdown, Chargers. How about a two touchdown game for Quinton Shohnston as it's twelve zero bolts.
Speaker 1: I just love that man's voice. But before we say goodbye to this cursed game, and yeah, the the Boo Birds were out pretty hardcore, not a surprise. It's gonna be a situation where fans just stopped showing up at Panthers game. That certainly started happening last year a little bit. And then that there were paper bags, which you never want to see. I do want to give a little love to Joey Bosa, who I think we maybe mentioned his stats on the show last week, but when I rewatched that game, was like, oh my god, Joey Bosa. When Joey Bosa is actually healthy, he's one of the best players in the NFL, and he had a big time sacking this game. After being questionable on the injury report, he ends up playing and this will not be Matt money Smith, one of our listeners looking out for us, said, you gotta check out the Chargers radio network, the Spanish call with Adrian Garcia Marquez and Francisco Pinto. So I can't wait for this here.
Speaker 26: Marchand Richards, Bradulos Pan, don't mind snap see comber Bosa, says Skapa Eltu Morgan Fox.
Speaker 3: I want to eat is one thing that I picked up.
Speaker 1: I love that I know my h my high school Spanish. Uh. Yeah, we should have Randy come in and tell us everything. I guess next time. That's awesome. I love that Joey Bosa has his own sack call song, so maybe we'll it's a song. Yeah, bring that back.
Speaker 3: It's gonna get stuck in my head.
Speaker 1: One last quick thing about the Chargers. Justin Herbert told reporters after the game he got rolled up after a fumbling in the second half. He went for X rays. That's a little concerning.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: ESPN dot Com reported he was limping, and Herbert said he'll know more in the coming day. So just something to watch there for the Chargers. They got a big game against the Chiefs, a battle of undefeated teams in the AFC West Chargers at two and oh, all right, let's take one final break. We'll wrap up the last three games that includes Sunday Nay football back on NFL Daily. This is the spot in the show you you don't necessarily want to be. I mean, I'm just saying if we're ranking them, and it doesn't mean the games weren't great. These are both one score games. I think we have a lot of takeaways. Heck, we could have a playoff team out of these two games. Okay, but if you're this deep into the show, it just means we didn't see those games quite as high. Maybe I'll maybe we'll just start mixing them up a little more, because you know what, the Steelers, frankly deserve a lot of respect after what they did.
Speaker 18: Nicks in the shotgun has McLoughlin, who is right now, He motions him to the left, brings him back to the right again.
Speaker 1: Knicks back looking looking.
Speaker 3: Over the middle of the field.
Speaker 23: That's intercepted, and there's Corey Trice in the back of the end zone with.
Speaker 1: His first career interception.
Speaker 10: Oh sweet, Marie, what a beautiful job of coming through it the moment you're most needed in a time of daed, Corey Trice dance tall.
Speaker 1: I love that. Put that on the Cause of the Year nominees. There, Wdve rob King, Craig wolf Ley and yeah, that was the first of Bnix's interception and that was the closest they came to scoring a touchdown. The Steelers win thirteen to six. Bonnicks throws away that red zone chance. They get the ball back late, he throws a hail mary that had no chance for his second interception, and the Steelers defense gets it done Patrick in a strikingly similar way to the way they got it done a week ago. They did score a touchdown in this game, but they didn't score as many points thirteen.
Speaker 2: They made big plays, but that big play by Corey Trice, a real game no limits comes up and makes that play. But ultimately, the two plays before that, the Broncos equaled their entire offensive output of the game. Up to that point. It was third to quarter, eight minutes to go. They had seventy five total yards on the game. Then they had a deep post to Cortland Suddon and then a reverse pitch back to Bownicks, who had Josh Reynolds wide open by the way before that interception. Josh Reynolds has to stop and come back catches the ball. That's how they got to that point. And then Corey Trice again real game, no limits, makes that interception, gets the Steelers the ball back. But it's another game where justin fields is if you clip off individual plays, it's like, wow, justin fields, you're thinking the Steelers might have scored forty in this game. He had a couple of throws that had to come back, a couple of throws that were PI one of the best throws that we're going to see all season to George Pickens, a seeing eyeball with Patrick Sartan all over him. That ball gets right to him. It comes back for holding as well. But that's kind of been the tail of this season for the Steelers. Were in spots they look really good. Then you look up with the scoreboard they got thirteen points. It's one of those things. But they're two and oh and Greg Rosenthal's picked to go to the playoffs, much beligned by by everybody on the planet.
Speaker 1: No I did not pick them.
Speaker 3: Oh you didn't either. Nobody disrespect them as well.
Speaker 1: We all did. And I was so mad when I saw, you know, at NFL dot com, like thirty seven people make their predictions and not one of them had the play Steelers in the playoffs. And that was the moment where I thought, Oh, they're definitely going to the playoffs. And yeah, Jalen Warren's healthier for this game. He goes nine for forty two and also catches a couple. Naje Harris is running hard. I mean they only end up with like two hundred and fifty yards of offense. But you don't need it when you got TJ. Watt playing like this and that that throw you mentioned where Boo Nicks underthrows him. Now some people will say, oh, see he doesn't have that strong of an arm. He can't go deep. I think more about the people shook that told me, well, if you have great timing, you don't need the big arm, because really he was just late on that throw. If he threw it earlier, then maybe it would have made up for it. But the timing hasn't been there for Nicks. He's he's looked a little bit lost, and they don't have a running game. It's not a good sign that bo Nix was their leading rusher today.
Speaker 6: No, that's a terrible sign, especially we have Javonti Williams not backfield. But it's more discouraging that all of his strength that we saw in the preseason against Vanilla defenses have not translated the regular season. It's disappointing, it is, really what it is, because he came out of the preseason looking pretty confident, like he won that job pretty easily, and through two games just has not handled the job very well. And that interception in the end zone is a prime example of it's It's a disheartening start for the Broncos, but you still want to trust that eventually they'll figure it out. But they have to string together more plays than they did today. They also have to be cleaner. Nine penalties accepted for one hundred and twenty four yards. The only reason that they didn't have the most penalties in the game is because the Steelers had.
Speaker 12: Ten for seventy eight forward to rewatching a forty five.
Speaker 6: Minute are on condensed, just because there's so many stoppage just for flags, all right, and I'm not looking forward to it either, But you're right, and that's the thing with the Steelers too. They're gonna win a lot of games ugly right now because their offense can't put the ball in the end zone safe for once. But Justin Fields did not hurt them again, just like last week. He did not commit backbreaking turnovers, he did throw a touchdown pass, he didn't have to run the ball nearly as much as he did last week, and yet they still found a way to win. So you know what Steeler fans, Look, I'm gonna speak to you directly real quick. If you can accept losing or winning thirteen to six or winning eighteen to ten, and it's never gonna be super pretty well. First off, that fits your city's mantra and personality better than you even realized that. I was just there a few weeks ago and I can confirm that. And secondly, you're gonna win a lot of football games this play. You should be happy about your defense.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 1: T J.
Speaker 12: Watson a monster, and he's not the only good player on that defense.
Speaker 3: Spicy, all of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is an ugly win.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, no, no, I mean, but they do have a lot of short, aggressive men.
Speaker 3: I will say that.
Speaker 1: I mean a guy from Cleveland talks about, you know, the Steelers being ugly winning or basically say I see some spice here. Seven quarterback hits, by the way for the Steelers in this game, so they beat the hell out of Bonex.
Speaker 2: And it seems like the one thing that has been true for two weeks now with Arthur Smith is the designed Justin Field's run game leaves a lot to be desired. Justin Fields seems to be at his best running the football on broken plays, on scrambles as well.
Speaker 3: There was one very circuitous QB run towards.
Speaker 2: The end of this game where I'm sure on the whiteboard it looked great like the tackles running back and then coming back around for Justin Fields, but the Broncos were all over it. Just scrap that one. Just go ahead and let Fields run the typical you know, read options. That feels like the move to me because the straight design runs aren't producing.
Speaker 1: They are a defensive team putting up crooked numbers, six passes defense, six tackles for lost, seven quarterback hits, so you don't need a lot of offense when that's happening. They're two to zero and the Broncos fans are just apoplexic. They were so over their skis a couple of weeks ago. Now they're miserable and they're mad at Sean Payton. The Steelers two and zero with only one touchdown on the season. The Commanders kind of know how that feels. They won a game somehow where they gave up three touchdowns, they didn't score any touchdowns, and yet they were the victors at home.
Speaker 29: Way asks as if he's ready, Tyler rrr is the snapper, way turns, gets the snap, it's down, kick on its way, it is up.
Speaker 1: And it is good. Washington wins twenty one eighty.
Speaker 29: Congratulations to Dan Quinn, Adam Peters, Josh Harris, Jaydon Daniels, everybody as this group together gets their first win in Washington.
Speaker 1: That is a big time win for the Commanders. Wbig Bran Weinstein on Austin Sabert's thirty yard game winning field goal, weird game shook. I felt like Jayden Daniels and the Commanders were in the red zone all game, but it was just they just ended up settling what was it, seven field goals? Is that how they won this game? That's a wild way to get to the out.
Speaker 3: There just got there kick seven. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. And when I say that, I mean if the first kicker that you got from the Browns doesn't work, cut him and then sign another kicker who was drafted by the Browns in Austin Cyber He'll get you to victory.
Speaker 12: Because that's what they did in week two. I sent a text to my buddy diehard Commanders fan and I said, hey, I know it's not necessarily Cliff Kingsbury's fault, but can you guys like actually get Jayden Daniels to the end zone today because he's playing well enough to deserve to make at least one trip there, and yet they couldn't. But somehow they find a way to win. Credit to them.
Speaker 6: Look, guys, I talked about Kyler like this earlier. Love watching play quarterback, look forward toating him play every week. I look forward to watching Washington play because of the same reasons. Jayden Daniels is so fun to watch. But for the love of God, get in the end zone.
Speaker 1: Please please and help me get down on some of these runs. He is unlike Kyler Murray, who is godlike in avoiding hits maybe the greatest I've ever seen. Really, I mean, he is truly an incredible scrambler. Jayden Daniels is a great scrambler, a great runner, but not great at avoiding hits. And that's a little worries. And he missed the play in this game right.
Speaker 2: Typical Jaden Daniels, as you just mentioned. He's running to the right, trying to get a few extra yards. He has got a defender low, takes a shot, kind of goes down pretty hard with the defender at his ankles. I'm worried about his ankle at his knee misses some time. He is able to come back in the game. But it's just one of those things where the accumulation of shots that Daniels is taking and they're not even really taking shots down the field, which is one of his the best parts of his skill set is his accuracy downfield.
Speaker 3: Not a whole lot.
Speaker 2: He completes twenty three or twenty nine passes for two hundred and twenty six yards, But you're just wondering when's the big play gonna comes.
Speaker 3: Not you running the.
Speaker 1: Ball, that's Kingsbarry ball. Not the best sign like Noah Brown steps in off the waiver wire, and you know he's leading their wide receivers. Terry mclaurin's fantasy owners like myself are dying a slow death. I think he has less than forty yards on the season, and yet they get it done because their running backs have looked fantastic. I think shook through two weeks. Brian Robinson looks to me like a different player he did a week ago. They start the game Nick with a nine minute drive and that sort of set the tone of what kind of day it was going to be. I know they didn't get a touchdown, but they end up with four hundred and twenty five yards. I mean their offense was ultimately pretty effective except for the red zone.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they were great between the twenties. I mean they're fantastic.
Speaker 6: They moved the ball well all day, and Brian Robinson looks like I don't know if he found another gear or something, but he's more explosive and running harder than he has in his career. That's why it was so frustrating, but at the same time, to see them piece together these drives was encouraging. You talked about receivers and Noah Brown being their best receiver today, the best catch was made by Zach Ertz, and it was because it was a wrestling match with Jason Pinnock, who Zach the ball, then Jason had the ball, then Zach had the ball. Like that was the extent of the downfield passing game for them. So there's a lot of room to grow. I don't know if they'll ever get there, but it's nice and you can bounce it out with this rushing attack, which you know you obviously have the Daniels rushing threat. I would like to see him avoid some hits. Eckler still looks good too. You know, he only had eight carries for thirty eight yards, but he'll pop one off here and there. They have a good balanced approach. It's just that we do have to push the ball down the field eventually, Washington, like we got to wake up from our slumber there.
Speaker 12: So maybe in due time.
Speaker 6: But again, they're still in such a better situation than they were a year ago, just because of the quarterback.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say that the better situation than the Giants who are now zero and two, and yeah. Dabeles started its press commerence really talking about how the offense improved and I get it, and they did. I get it, but they also scored eighteen points and they're playing a team that should have given up about a fifty burger last year in the Commanders, and yeah there were so you know, they ran the ball better. Singletary goes for ninety five yards. Daniel Jones is much more effective. Malik Neighbors gets eighteen targets. No one else on the team gets more than four. Unfortunately the target even though Neighbors goes ten for one to twenty seven and a touchdown that we're probably gonna remember best is a fourth down that Jones threw the ball to Neighbors at the end of the game with a chance to really ice the game and potentially kick their own game winning field goal or go for a game winning touchdown. Jones, out of a shotgun set, falls out, signals, takes the snap back to throw pumps under pressure, now fires one right, completes.
Speaker 3: It and oh it's dropped by Neighbors along the sideline.
Speaker 4: He would have had the first down and he dropped it, and he pounds the turf in frustration with two h four to go.
Speaker 1: Oh that is Bob Popa calling the completion before it happened. Because Neighbors had such great hands and had such a great games, you just assumed he was gonna make it. And yeah, that was just over two minutes left. In terms of game situation. Both teams still had three time out, so there was a lot left to go there, but it was tied. But the reason they went for it is because they didn't have a kicker all game, and to me, that was maybe the biggest factor in this entire game. They try an extra point to start the game with their punter, Blake Gillan, and he missed it, and so then they went for two later when they were up three, which is like the one spot where you really need an extra point, but they I guess we're afraid, all right, you missed it the first time, let's go for two. They didn't get the two, and then at that point and in the game where they probably would have kicked a field goal to take a lead, they go for it, and yeah, like it's it's kind of weird when you have a guy who was on the injury report in Graham Gano and you don't have an extra kicker up That to me is an organizational failure. Like the GM and the coach kind of lost them this game by not having a kicker potentially available.
Speaker 6: So Jamie Gillen, formerly known as the Scottish Hammer, maybe still known as that by some people, another former Brown who makes an appearance in special teams in this game, last kicked field goals consistently at Arkansas Pine Bluff and did not do very well in college. So yeah, you were in a bad spot going to this game if if kicker was going to be a concern, So a lack of preparation on their part. I mean, look, Daniel Jones did play better. He played better because he had a life raft named Malik Dabors who just caught everything for him except for the most important pass of the game, which was super unfortunate because Neighbors is a stud and he played his tail off in this game. He kept them afloat throughout this game in the passing game, and unfortunately that's just the way the cookie crumbled for them and they're zero and two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one of those games where I don't know if we learned a ton about either of these teams in terms of how they'll compete against others. But if you're a commander's banner. You're on that stuff like big get a win, yeah, and you think.
Speaker 2: You think that they'll figure it out. The downside on the other side for the Giants is you get the nuclear Molik Neighbors game. But still there's there's not a lot to speak of. And as you mentioned, if the plan is Jamie Gillum coming in and then you immediately punt on that plan, I guess punt intended, then it's it's just like, so what what how are we approaching things between the coaching staff and the front office.
Speaker 1: If a guy has a groin injury for a kicker, like, yeah, I think that's that's probably a concern coming into the game, because they showed Dable watching his kicks very intently in the warm ups and stuff, so they knew it was an issue coming in. He Gano was actually active, he was the holder, so that it's just like, what what is happening? I've seen it's too many times where you see kickers where like before the game and then there's no one else. I don't know, maybe this should be something the teams should think about. You like literally lost a game. How valuable is that that? Because you didn't have a kicker available. We're always happy. Patrick Clayban is available with us each and every week. Now we're gonna throw it to Sunden and Football. Patrick will not be with us for the Sunday Night Football program, so we we appreciate you, Patrick, appreciate, and we send it to Houston. Let's go strata the.
Speaker 3: Gun on second to twenty four. Here's the snap, CJ looking CJ fire downfield, hitch me go.
Speaker 5: Ten five to the unsold touchdown kisten.
Speaker 3: And that's weight room right there.
Speaker 1: Baby Eco Collins has been hitting the weight room. Also hit the end zone. Touchdown for Collins goes eight for one P thirty five. Texans win nineteen to thirteen, wrapping up a fun Week two and almost misleading to have an offensive highlight Shookie because in the end, it was the defense that took over this game. In the second half, the Texans picked off Caleb Williams twice in a row, and then they hit him, and then they hit him some more, and then they sacked them all over the place. Eleven QB hits in this game. They pressured him on almost fifty percent of their dropbacks. Will Anderson and Daniel Hunter combined for seventeen pressures alone between the two of them. The Texans made that Bears off look bad and they get to win nineteen to thirteen. What stood out to you.
Speaker 27: Well?
Speaker 6: First off, coming out of the break, Matt Eberflus stated, We're gonna go down the field and score a touchdown, and they never came close to scoring a touchdown in the second half because of the Texans defense.
Speaker 1: I mean, Matt castleback in Lamberg in the playoffs energy, I love it. I Mean, no one's work confident than Eberflus with a good haircut. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: The question is who.
Speaker 12: Plays the role of Al Harris? There is that a Kabari Lassiter Derek Stingley. Does it matter? It didn't matter. I Mean my takeaway is the same takeaway that I pretty much anybody who was watching this game nationally had. Caleb Williams had no time to throw and was just getting bludgeoned, especially late in that game.
Speaker 6: I Mean, you can say what you want about the Bears offensive line. Obviously, I think they need work in protecting him. Maybe it's an upgrading talent, maybe it's a change in scheme. They certainly weren't doing their job, and it frazzled the young guy. I mean, it's a second NFL start. You could tell that when he had time he would make some good decisions. He also would miss some throws. He doesn't ever rapport with his receivers that veteran quarterbacks have. He missed a number of back shoulder throws. DJ Moore looked visibly frustrated by the end of this game because the balls were just sailing over his head or were woefully short of its intended target. And what you got was a Bears team that mustered a whole three points in the second half and never really got close to threatening even in a one score game down late because of course they couldn't protect Kaylor Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he even that won the score that they did get to cut the lead to nineteen to ten. That's aided by penalties. There's a lot of penalties. This game went really late for a game that went in regulation, not like the most perfect advertisement for football. But it's still as exciting because they kept it close. And you mentioned those last couple drives. DJ Moore getting frustrated because Williams just misses him has a lot of room that drive ends because of that next and final drive. The last throw of the game is roma Dunze and Caleb Williams not really being on the same page. So Williams's accuracy has been a little iffy. That said, he comes out like the first three throws of the game were awesome and there were really nice moments. He gets forty four yards on the ground, DeAndre Swift goes fourteen for eighteen. Herbert you know, has the short touchdown but otherwise doesn't do anything. So I don't think you can overstate how much Darnell Wright struggled with Daniel Hunter in this game. And will Anderson was often beating kind of the protection scheme and like beating running backs and tight ends and getting hustle pressures and had some big time wins. But Hunter is just abusing Chicago's first round pick. So that was a big time acquisition for them. In the offseason, they were pretty confident publicly, maybe even you know privately, and definitely little publicly that he was a pretty big upgrade from Jonathan Grenard, and he showed.
Speaker 12: Had a good year last year by the way.
Speaker 1: Broh, Yeah, I mean right, Grenard was very good too. Neither of these teams could really run the ball. Cam Akers fumbles the ball on the goal line late or else we you know, we wouldn't have sweated out that ending. But I just look at this Texans team and I just think, man, there's so much talent everywhere. CJ. Stroud for the second straight week, I think, has showed improvement at making plays out of structure. Last year was all about, oh yeah, this is the guy, is the next Like Joe Burrow, he's enough athleticism and every winning from the pocket, and he's done some of that through two weeks. But really all of his best plays over the last couple of weeks have kind of been plays that broke down, and he made a couple of them to Nico Collins in this game. I mean he had ay, he had some beautiful throws from the pocket too, including the Stefan Diggs good situational football to get three points at the end of the first half, where again Nico Collins makes a great catch. So overall, just smart football here that they probably shouldn't have had the sweat out quite as much. But again, if Acres doesn't fumble that ball, there were probably not talking about all that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, on the Texans side.
Speaker 6: It is really beautiful to see what can become of a pairing of a young quarterback and a receiver.
Speaker 12: And that's that's Stroud and Collins. That's going back to last year, last preseason, you could tell even then they had a rapport.
Speaker 6: I picked him out back then, thinking that's his favorite target. That guy's gonna have a breakout year if CJ plays well because that's his favorite guy. And it carried over to the regular season. It carries over night eight for one thirty five in a touchdown for Nico Collins. He leads this receiving corep that, oh, by the way, has Stefon Diggs in it, but Collins is the star. There's one throw in particular. It's in the second half where Stroud rolls right and Collins kind of enters the scrambled drill and just finds open space and Stroud hits him perfectly to move the chains. That's that's the example of experience spent together. Even though if it's just a season, they understand each other, they're on the same page. That's what kayleb Williams Romo Dune's a DJ Moore and obviously Keenan Allen and to night.
Speaker 12: That's what they don't have yet. But I don't want to sound like a broken record.
Speaker 6: But again, like I said last week, with a different team, it starts in the trenches and the Bears, you just have to look at the rushing numbers to know everything you need to know about this offense right now. You can blame scheme, you can blame play calling and too many passes of the flats and too short of a passing offense, whatever you want. But if you can't run the football, you're instantly one dimensional. Even in a one score game, even before it gets late, you really can't do anything on the ground, and you're putting everything on the shoulders of a guy who's making his second NFL start, And that's just losing football. That's bad business. It's a losing formula. So they're going to have to figure out how to balance this offense if they really want to see Caleb take the steps forward that they expect from the first overall pick.
Speaker 1: Right. I mean, their offensive line really struggled against the blitz. So Demico Ryans is not a coach that likes to blitz that much. He's very good at a well time blitz, but they swed tonight. They couldn't protect the blitz. So that's offensive line number one, but that's also a young quarterback not knowing how to set the protections and coaching. They ended up blitzing on almost forty percent of their pass rushes and it was just free rushers at the end of the game. Teeing off. I mean, that was a welcome to the NFL type a knight for Caleb Williams. And yeah, the talent's just everywhere. Derek Stingley with an awesome interception that's going to help him get to I think he's going to be an All Pro this year. Nice to do it in primetime, He'll have other chances to do it. And then Kamari Lassiter, who had two interceptions in that second half. One was called back by penalty. And one thing I've noticed with Lassiter he has great hands, like he when he has a chance to make plays, he makes play. So he's given up a couple plays in this season. But again it's the Texans. It's playmakers all over the field. Jalen Petrie had a much better game tonight, and I thought the Bears defense was really really good in this game too. They don't have to worry about where they're at. And by any means, Kyler Gordon and Tyreek Stevenson and some of their guys up front like it is a really good defense and they challenge a good offense in CJ. Strapd. So the Bears go back to the drawing board one and one on the season, and the Texans are at two to zero, a top the AFC South. You know where I'm not atop right now, but I actually I do want to mention this one little stat that Josh Debo of that Associated Press pointed out. The Bears have averaged three point one yards per play on Sunday Night, and they averaged less in Week one. The only teams to do that in the Super Bowl era averaged that few yards per play in the first two games of the season. In the twenty first century, there's actually two teams the Bears in the two thousand and six Raiders, who really old school Raiders fans will remember, were nicknamed the bed and breakfast offense. I think that was the JaMarcus Russell team I don't even like.
Speaker 3: So that's it.
Speaker 1: The two worst teams in the twentieth century. You have to go back to the ninety six Rams and then the seventies. For teams that have started that slow, has been pretty rough.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that's indicative of what their offense is going to be over the course now season.
Speaker 12: I do think that they'll get better.
Speaker 6: But one last point in the Texans real quick, because I know we talked about the playmakers and everything else, but I love the most about them their identity.
Speaker 12: These guys play with a massive chip on their shoulders. Not not worthy of the chip tracker, but just a massive attitude. I mean they're going out there and tackling guys and then they're hating a little bit extra after the play.
Speaker 6: You know, might spark a little freakiss here and there, but they play with an attitude. They don't just want to get stops. They want to get stops and let you know about it, and hey, this is a no flies on, you're not allowed over here. We're gonna keep coming all night. And it was it was really impressive to see, even against the Bears team that you know, struggles up front. I think that bodes well for them because this is their ear last year they came and won the AFC South Yeah, this year, they're they're aimed for more than the super They want to make a deep run.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and they're gonna they're gonna prove a point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're absolutely super well contenders. And yeah, the the Bed and Breakfast Rams just to I mean Raiders just to circle back was coached by Art Shell was the head coach. They only won two games that year, but the reason they were called that was because Tom Walsh was their offensive coordinator, a man who had been out of football for seven years before running while running a bed and breakfast ranch in Idaho before he came back to football to run the worst offense in the league.
Speaker 12: So how many how many of the breakfast dishes included potatoes at this bend at Idaho?
Speaker 1: Hey, there you go as we wrap up here, and yeah, a chunky Week two recap for you. I just I'm gonna end with some bad news if you happen to listen to the previews show. Patrick Claybond's Survivor pick in Week one didn't make it out a Week one that was pretty unfortunate, Bengals losing to the Patriots. My Week to Survivor pick the Ravens over the Raiders I guess is the segment. The segment's over. Both of us. We have not survived. It's over. Weiss came in in week two and picked the Texans. Maybe that counts that know, Tiebo on the Texans. I let him join week two. Maybe we'll start over. Who knows. We're doing more than surviving here though. In the Chris Westling, I'm more.
Speaker 12: Curious about these sounds. I heard a lightning bolt and somebody drowned.
Speaker 1: It was tough. It was tough out there on the water. Thank you, Nick Shook for everything tonight. Appreciate you man. It was a lot of fun. I'd feel very grateful to be able to do this. This is a ton of fun in the studio. Eric Roberts and Randy Chavez just absolutely killing it behind the glass. We will be back me and you Nick at night, Monday night football Eagles and Falcons till then. So happy football is back.