Speaker 1: Second date updated.
Speaker 2: You know, on dating apps now, where the average decent looking woman gets two thousand matches per day, and that's like two thousand guys messaging her and complimenting her, trying to take her out. It's more important than ever for guys to be creative and witty when they're talking, or at least google something creative and witty and then copy that like it's yours.
Speaker 3: So it's like, Hi, how are you not enough?
Speaker 1: Oh you're getting blocked?
Speaker 4: Stop stop yeah no all lower case letters ew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But that's exactly what happened to one of our listeners May recently when she matched with a guy online named Doug, and their conversation apparently got pretty interesting, but his first line was just straight up asking her out. And May, what did you immediately notice from Doug's dating profile, Well, there is.
Speaker 5: A couple funny things on his profile. In his pictures, he had a woman in it.
Speaker 3: WI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a bold thing on a dating app, like a woman his age or like a mom type of person.
Speaker 5: No, it seemed like like maybe a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Or girls do this too. And you know, I always slept left. I'm like, why would your main profile be you and some guy.
Speaker 3: To prove that you can actually go out with someone.
Speaker 1: So what did you write back when you saw that there's another woman in his pictures?
Speaker 5: I frankly said, is your girlfriend going to be okay with this girlfriend?
Speaker 4: I can't believe you still wrote him back, you know, but like, okay.
Speaker 1: Give me back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good to call somebody out to ye like, hey, you know, did he have a response.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he responded that he doesn't have a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I would believe him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Just trust just whatever guys say, and all the time, trust the internet.
Speaker 4: So who is the woman? What did he say she was? What was the explanation?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: So I obviously asked, who's this woman in the photo? And he responds, Oh, that's my wife, but we're just friends.
Speaker 7: With a laughing emoji.
Speaker 2: Jo it's called sarcasm and sarcasm he doubled.
Speaker 4: Down to down like's so.
Speaker 1: That or did you think it was funny?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: I thought it was funny. I obviously knew it was a joke.
Speaker 4: Explain the joke after he said it.
Speaker 3: So that's cool though, So you guys are on the same page.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really liked his humor. And he did this other thing that I thought was really funny too, is you know, he was telling me that dating apps are really hard for guys, and in his experience, it's been tough. Yeah, he's ghosted so many times.
Speaker 2: Sorry to say that he's been ghosted or he has ghosted other people.
Speaker 5: He said that he's been ghosts.
Speaker 1: Okay, but he.
Speaker 4: Really meant both.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He sent me a photo of him at a table by himself, laughing and said at this point he started dating actual ghosts.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I think he's being self deprecating, saying, like, see, nobody wants to go out.
Speaker 4: It's a dangerous area to tread because at some point it will start to make you look kind.
Speaker 3: Of sad empathetic, right at some point, like it's.
Speaker 4: Not funny anymore.
Speaker 3: You know how hard you going?
Speaker 2: Well, how many people showed up to my birthday party?
Speaker 1: I'm alone?
Speaker 2: Brook just helped me realize it's probably my problem. You just make fun of yourself a little too much. But you didn't feel that way. May You felt like he was just doing just enough to be humorous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you have to get somebody's attension. You know, it's hard there's a lot of options out there, and so that's.
Speaker 1: How he stood.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well so you did you guys end up going out?
Speaker 5: We did? Yeah, we went out for drink.
Speaker 4: And what was that like the first time you saw each other?
Speaker 5: It was nice. I mean he seemed really nice, a little more spoken than I would have thought, oh.
Speaker 4: Because he was so bold and sarcastic.
Speaker 1: He's writing.
Speaker 4: That's interesting, he'd.
Speaker 1: Be cracking jokes the whole time.
Speaker 5: But I mean it was fun. He seemed like a really good guy. He's interesting. He's in a band.
Speaker 4: There's another red flags. Nothing red flag, I don't know, just musicians.
Speaker 1: What's the reputation?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: They're talented?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not talking about parody songs.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: I think he's a keeper. Don't let this one go.
Speaker 4: A singer, I say, I mean, it's cool that he's in a band.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought it was cool. I really enjoyed the conversation. I thought we really got along. We even kissed at the end of the night.
Speaker 1: Who and musicians never can wow? Okay, so what's happened since the date?
Speaker 5: I honestly just haven't really been able to get a hold of him.
Speaker 1: Is he ghost you, the irony that he's the one can play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's a weird thing. Like he's like talking about how terrible the dating world goes.
Speaker 5: I just want to quickly correct myself. I'm not able to get a hold of him on the phone, but we are texting a little bit back and forth.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's not totally silent.
Speaker 5: I mean, the thing is, I have a lot of options. I have a lot of people asking me out, but I wanted to give Doug a chance because I really enjoyed my time with him. So I don't know. I'm just kind of thinking maybe he does have a wife.
Speaker 4: Or right, like like there's always some truth in every joke, right, Maybe he's just so used to being ghosted he doesn't know how to act around a woman who actually wants to be with him.
Speaker 1: She's like, let's go out again. He's like, don't mock me. Yeah, Okay, I know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I hope I didn't duction by actually asking him to.
Speaker 1: We'll find out. We'll come back call him and try and get your second date update.
Speaker 2: Right now, second date update, if you're just joining us, We're on the phone with one of our listeners, May who in her own words, is a woman with lots and lots of other male options online.
Speaker 4: I mean, so she's a woman.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is quite the woman.
Speaker 2: Her bumble hinge notifications are blowing up on the rag. But she's not thinking about all those other dudes Thurston after her and her picks. She's thinking about one guy named Doug, Funny, simple, nice guy in a band, Doug, who went on one day with her and immediately got her attention. But now, for some reason afterwards they can't send a nail down a time to hang out again.
Speaker 3: Even though Doug went on and on about how terrible dating is for.
Speaker 2: Him, which has may worried that maybe he actually might be married. Right because they joked about the woman in his profile pick being his wife, Maybe it wasn't so jokey after all.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things where he's like, well, I.
Speaker 2: Told her, how mad would you be if we get him on the phone and he told you that actually is his wife?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: I would be pretty upset because I don't accept lie, did you know what?
Speaker 3: Not as upset as his wife would be. I'm just trying to look at the positive here.
Speaker 2: Who would be angrier his wife maybe we'll find out in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Here we make it a really angry Texan. Wait a minute, my husband. But now let's just call it Doug and see what he asked to say. You ready?
Speaker 5: I am?
Speaker 1: Okay, good job, Jeff.
Speaker 6: Here we go.
Speaker 7: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hey, is this Doug?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: This is Doug.
Speaker 2: Hey, Doug, you don't have to sound so skeptical. It's okay, nothing sinister going on on our end. We're just a radio show hoping to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Hey, Doug, what's.
Speaker 7: What's going on here?
Speaker 2: What's going on is a segment we do called the Second Date Update, and you're gonna be our featured star for the day.
Speaker 1: No, I don't believe you, Doug.
Speaker 6: He's honest.
Speaker 2: I think you're more excited than you're letting on because we're trying to hook you up with one of our listeners who you've already been out on a date with, and she just wants to see you one more time.
Speaker 1: Her name's May.
Speaker 7: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, that was a good surprise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she sounds darling, and it sounds like you guys had a great time together.
Speaker 1: Yes, with all the noises, Doug, she's into you. That's that's a good thing.
Speaker 4: I thought dating was so hard for you, Like, this is like.
Speaker 1: You got one.
Speaker 7: I was like, you guys know a lot about me.
Speaker 2: Well, we've heard some stuff from you. From May herself, she we asked her to describe your date and she had glowing reviews.
Speaker 4: Honestly, she said you're really funny, and.
Speaker 1: She thought your profile's funny too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she talked about the profile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it came up, yeah, that you had a funny joke about the girl in your picture.
Speaker 4: Well, we asked because we thought that the girl was a ready Yeah, yeah, you should change that.
Speaker 1: That's not the reason why we call.
Speaker 2: We're not calling to criticize your dating profile though, yeah we could, But now we're we're really focused on May because she's really confused.
Speaker 1: She wants to see you. She feels like she's been reaching out trying to arrange a date and you keep avoiding her.
Speaker 4: Is she reading that right?
Speaker 7: I mean she does keep suggesting nights, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's usually when you say, yeah, Friday works great for me.
Speaker 1: Unless you're not into her, if there's some other problem.
Speaker 4: Married, Yeah, so.
Speaker 7: That's two Friday night. She asked to see my band and like.
Speaker 8: She wants to come to me and perform and like grab a drink after work.
Speaker 1: That's nice, you have a show.
Speaker 4: She's even interested in, like your hobbies.
Speaker 1: Why you're saying it like it's a bad thing.
Speaker 5: I don't, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 7: I didn't even know how to answer her, Like, what do you mean?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: She was even asking for a one on one concert at my place.
Speaker 2: That's her flirting with you, Doug. That means she wants to see you, and probably.
Speaker 5: On a stage in my house.
Speaker 3: Too much pressure.
Speaker 1: You probably have to put on an entire concert. She just wanting to hang out.
Speaker 4: I don't think she cares about the basic bro.
Speaker 7: Oh, there's pressure when like she thinks that I know how to play guitar, you know, like I'm not really in.
Speaker 8: A band, Like I'm not.
Speaker 7: I'm not really musical at all.
Speaker 1: You said you're not a page. You told her that you're in a band.
Speaker 7: Well, I need something to sound cool like and make me stand out.
Speaker 4: You chose do something that you actually do. I'm sure there's something cool about you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's cool things about me, like, but you gotta have something to like really sticks out, you know.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I get it, Like you're in a it's a lot of pressure, you're having a hard time dating, like with the apps and stuff. You want to stand out, and then suddenly this lie is snowballing, is what it sounds like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I really liked her and I didn't know what to do and she keeps asking me like.
Speaker 5: She looked.
Speaker 2: That's why you're not getting this date because she's asking based on the lie that you've told her that you're in a band and you're not.
Speaker 3: But that's a lot better lie than he was married.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of cute.
Speaker 4: You're trying to impress her, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And that's that's a rough lie to go with, though, Like if you're not in a band, how are you ever going to prove.
Speaker 3: The panicked Jeff Okay came to mind.
Speaker 7: Is gonna go with that? Or be a Formula one race car driver?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 3: Those jackets are brilliant style right now for girls.
Speaker 1: And a guy that lives dangerously on the race track.
Speaker 2: Had no Americans watch, so you could say you're like from France, that's that one.
Speaker 7: At least I could have said I was in an off season right.
Speaker 3: Now, just driving your kia around.
Speaker 5: Okay, I've heard enough.
Speaker 1: Oh you have what?
Speaker 7: What? What?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Doug, he didn't know. That's May who's been listening on the other line right now.
Speaker 3: To being honest now, whether you wanted to or not.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, I'm I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Like you were like so pretty and then cool and like I just I wanted you to like me. I just I felt like I had to say something cool.
Speaker 5: You know, that's really sweet. But also we've spent half of the time I'm on our first date talking about your band.
Speaker 4: WoT bro.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing though, like immediately after already, like I signed up for piano lessons.
Speaker 4: Can't count the band not quite as sexy, usually the least sexy of a band as a keyboardist.
Speaker 1: But did you say you played guitar in the band though, Doug.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but the guitar lessons were more.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna play the triangle.
Speaker 5: May.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you know anything about him?
Speaker 5: I know, like a couple of things about where he grew up, and look, it was just the band thing, like everything else was real.
Speaker 1: Do you hear that everything else he said was real, like the wife and his photos.
Speaker 7: No, no, not that.
Speaker 5: Everything else except for that I don't need any big, fancy career or any you know, super impressive hobby. I'm just looking for a really genuine, funny person.
Speaker 4: And besides, Doug, do you know that when she told us about the band, Alexis and I were both.
Speaker 3: Like red flag. It's true, red Flag. You can't trust a guy in the band. Apparently you can't trust a guy not in a band.
Speaker 7: And girls always loved mad boys in.
Speaker 2: Band, but not for long my friend, would you honestly have been interested in him if he did not say he was in a band?
Speaker 5: Yeah? The thing that attracted me to him was his humor and that he was funny.
Speaker 3: Well did he come up with a good band name? Maybe he had a funny band name?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he did the Chick a Noodle TU check out.
Speaker 1: I like it at the very least.
Speaker 2: May just talking to him now, he seems like a nice, sincere guy.
Speaker 1: He is coming clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Doug, I'm going to give you twenty seconds here to say your final piece before we offer to send you guys out on a date.
Speaker 1: What do you want to say to May?
Speaker 6: I just I should have been up front. I'm super sorry. If you give me a second chance, I'll just anything you want to know, straight honest truth, and I'll bet my goofy normal self and you can either like me for that or not.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 2: Plus we're going to offer to pay to send you guys out on another date May.
Speaker 1: So what do you say?
Speaker 5: I will say that I do not like liars, and I also am very attracted to people who are super secure with themselves and who they are. However, I really enjoyed talking to you, and so I will give you a second chance.
Speaker 1: Person. Yes, okay, so.
Speaker 5: Yes, no, no, it's yes, I want to go and it's like.
Speaker 2: Okay, so to say, she's so excited to see you again. She can't wait to hear your first piano lesson once you figure it out.
Speaker 7: Yes, man, you have no idea having this liar back out less stressed.
Speaker 5: I feel that's really sweet.
Speaker 7: We can get together on Friday if you want.
Speaker 4: Piano lessons and weekdays and your wife's cool with that dog.
Speaker 7: Yes, my wife
Speaker 4: Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning,