Speaker 1: When I was a little girl, I asked my parents to go to a Blockbuster to rent me Oz. That's the graphic HBO series about a group of men in prison. What I meant to ask for was The Whiz. That's the black musical adventure film starring Diana Ross. But sometimes things get lost in translation.
Speaker 2: That's comedian Chanelle Allie at our Last Boys Over Live Show.
Speaker 1: And to be fair, I was a weird kid. To be even more fair, they weren't my parents. They were just my foster parents, one group out of many. I don't even remember their names in particular. But still I wonder what it was like with them driving a Blockbuster that day. Did they ride in silence thinking about what they were gonna do, then get back in the car and start to ponder, Well, maybe Chanelle just loves a good HBO series. Well, you know, honey, I bet you Chanelle cares about prison reform regardless. I watched three episodes before I was convinced Michael Jackson is not in this and this soundtrack is gloomy as hill.
Speaker 2: The Whiz isn't the only thing Chanelle had to find on her own. Her story takes us through her quest to find her biological family and break generational patterns, and before we go further be warned. When she told this story at the live show, there was not a dry eye in the house. I'm hopewondered and welcome to boys Over a space where we're learning and unlearning. All the myths were taught about love and relationships.
Speaker 1: I live in a lot of different homes growing up. I got taken away from my mom when I was two. She had experimented with drugs in the eighties because she was really pretty. Even though she got clean prior to being pregnant with me, some of those experiences left her a little dilapidated. I always described my mom as a shell of a person. She would just disappear in the middle of conversation, and by the time I was five, I had some questions about it. I'd be like, I don't understand this. Why can't you come get me? People keep saying you're sick. You look fine. That outfit is lit.
Speaker 2: Chanelle, Welcome to boy Sover.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Of course, you grew up in foster care, in a foster family.
Speaker 1: With a lot of foster families, but also with like some extended family, like some aunts and some uncles. I was around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, and your mom was in your life, you were just not living with her.
Speaker 1: Well, I got taken away from her when I was two. She was diagnosed with bipolar and paraheid schizophrenia. And then I got taken over my grandmother when I was like six, and then I was in the system. So she was like, you know, I always describe her as like a shell of a person. Yeah, just I was never really able to communicate with her for very long. She would just drift off in the middle of a sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally I understand watching someone interact with somebody who you love and care about and seeing them do it in a way where you're like, that's not really working.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How old were you when you were like having those realization five?
Speaker 1: Really young? Yeah. I think also that relationship taught me a lot about love, you know, because here was this family dynamic where was like, she's supposed to be taking care of me. But as soon as I had my wherewithal, I felt like I am in control and I'm kind of handling a lot of these conversations. And even when, like a social worker would say to me, well, you can't live with your mom because she's sick. They would never say it's because she's bipolar parents, that's right. They would just say sick. But even though I didn't have the words, I was like, she's not sick. And I have this memory that I talk about in my One Woman show where I kind of break down this relationship with my mom. I remember having visitation with her a lot while I was out austral care and one time I had visitation and we were just laughing, just hysterically giggling for what seemed like an eternity. I remember asking her in the middle of it, like what are we laughing at? And she, without missing a beat, was like, I don't know, and then we just started laughing again. And it was like moments like that where I always felt like if someone else saw that interaction, they'd be like, something's wrong with her. But to me, I was like, this lady's chilling, Like I never saw TV mom's act like that. You know, I knew she was different, but I appreciated it about her. I just also wish she would like make dinner, you know what I'm saying totally, So it was like I understood that she couldn't take care of us. But yeah, she had visitation for a couple of years, but then after a while not really Okay. Yeah, so by the time I was like eight, I really wasn't seeing her.
Speaker 2: And when you were eight, you were with your grandmother. No, what's your grandmother's vibe?
Speaker 1: She's Italian, a Jewish Italian lady. You know, hung out with only black people. A lot of people used to think she was black, including me, until I'm wasten out in junior high and you were like, wait. You know, I went to Target and then the next day I went to school and this girl was like, what are you doing with that, oh white lady? And I was like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Totally I was like, well she looks white.
Speaker 1: You know. But yeah, she was hilarious and honestly, like my grandmother was, like I would say, my greatest champion throughout my whole life. She really was the core of, like I would say, some of my sense of humor, but also like my self confidence. You know. She did not take shit from nobody. I mean, if she gave you a coupon for two cents off and she didn't get it, we're going to drive back to the store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna figure that out.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna make sense financially, but it's the principle of money on gas. Yeah. And I think she really, you know, appreciated having a black grandchild, and she really like relished in that. She was like, I want to teach you about all of the things that the world is going to assume about you and how some of these interactions are going to play out. And I want you to understand what you know once you start school, why they're doing this or why this is happening. And I just think she was like always on my team, even though she wasn't my guardian. She always had visitation no matter where I moved, Like I wouldn't have been able to afford a prom dress, I wouldn't have been able to do a lot of the things as a kid if my grandmother wasn't constantly checking in, sending me something and just like being my champion. And then you know, when I was seventeen, I met my dad.
Speaker 2: Right and see me about wanting to meet him. Yeah, where did those thoughts kind of begin? Like at where were you in life when you were like I think.
Speaker 1: I should I mean pretty much. As soon as I went into foster care, I was like, where's my father? Like I'm having visitation with my mom, and I'm like, hey, real quick, yeah, yeah, yeah, who's my dad? Can you write? Do you just real quick? Can you write the same? Why have you? Why have you? You know? She just goes she just goes off, you know, she's just off floating in the room. And so I was like obsessed with trying to find him. She would tell me his name and she would say, I know he's your dad, I just can't find him. So, like, as soon as the internet became a thing totally, I was on it. I went to the bank to get my first debit card just so I could pay for some online services that it was going to find his address. Whoa, because I can't like ask anybody, Nobody's gonna help me with this. And so yeah, I got my first debit card, I paid for the service that gave me his address. My grandmother took me there. She knew what you were up to. I was keeping a secret. I was terrified to tell anybody because I don't know. I don't know that this guy's my dad and I'm about to go to his house and I'm a kid.
Speaker 2: You're a kid, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: You're fourteen. So I was like, if I do have a dad, it would be lit if he like showed up. So she I'm terrified to tell her, like, hey, I paid for this service and I found this address and I think it's my dad. And I tell her and I'm like so terrified that she's gonna be like, you went to the bank, and she was like, let's find him. Heck yeah, she took me there. It was raining because we like to be dramatic. Oh, and I knock on this door, and I'm just feeling this energy, like this man is about to open the door, and he's probably gonna be like a tall version of me. I don't know, and I'm gonna he's he'll know as soon as he sees me, he'll know. And he never answers the door. Nobody ever comes, and I just wait in the rain. I wait, I wait, and then his neighbor comes home and he sees this little girl crying in the rain and he's like, oh that guy, yeah, he did used to live there, but he moved like a year ago and he didn't leave like affording address. I never heard from him again, and I just felt like I was so close. It destroyed me for a little bit because I was like, he's real and I almost had him, and I'm a genius, but my grandmother drives slow, and there's all these yellows like you should ye, yeah, you know. It just felt like you to deal with. I kept telling myself that, like, I'm getting older, Like two years after that, I was like sixteen. Now I'm preparing for college and I'm about to start, you know, focusing on my future. So I was like, Shanelle, you can't just keep trying to find him. You know, hopefully he will. But I do think that I manifested it a little bit because I was still very focused on him, like I wish my dad would show up? Where's my dad? Who is my dad? Really could use a dad in here.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you how you were imagining him like his qualities.
Speaker 1: I think I assumed that he probably looked a lot like me because my mom is half Italian obviously and half Indian, so she's not much black at all, Like she has a little bit of a mix, but we have a lot of the similar features, but we don't really look alike. So I've always known like, oh, well, my dad must be black and he probably looks like me. So I think I envisioned like just a really handsome man, which he is, which he is, so it was right. Yeah, But yeah, I think I envisioned like this warm energy and like a big Papa bear type guy.
Speaker 2: I like an embrace, like a warm embrace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't even know why. Maybe I think I was influenced by a lot of movies.
Speaker 2: I wonder what stories, Yeah, like influencing your.
Speaker 1: Probably mostly like Blair Underwood the actor.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's like, probably what my dad is like, probably you know, yeah, little Eddie Murphy probably in there. Yeah, probably little my dad.
Speaker 2: Uh So when you met him, Yeah, talk to me about that moment.
Speaker 1: So I tracked him down after we took a court ordered paternity test, but the government didn't give me his address or his phone number.
Speaker 2: A court ordered paternity test, Like, how does that process work? And how did you feel through that process?
Speaker 1: It's like when you're a foster kid or you're living with someone else. If it's gone through the government, then that person gets money every month to take care of you, and that means that those kids technically become a bill. M they become a bill in the system that needs to be rectified. And so as I was nearing eighteen, whatever caseworker was trying to get that case off of her desk. I'm sure, and she was like, well, we have this one piece of paper because he wasn't on my birth certificate, but this say is this guy's name, Let's look him up. When I was seventeen, I got a letter from the government. They were on that piece of paper. They asked for my DNA. They said they had found a guy that I thought was my father, and there was the same name that I had been searching, the same name that my mother had brought up, the same name that I was never sure if it was even real. They swabbed my cheek, tested my DNA. I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks later. It said, hey, that's the one. It told me that my father was a cop. That's why I hadn't been able to find him all of these years, because you can't look up a cop. You could get a ticket tonight from a cop. All you have is their name. You can't find their address with their phone number. And this is pre Facebook before cops were online talking about the blacks are always resisting. My father was super unlisted, but still, what's the notion that he was a cop in a certain state. I knew that I could find him. I got out a phone book, I got out a map. I started in the city my mom was born, and I started calling police stations day after day after day after day, saying, do you have an officer by this name? Have you ever heard of an officer by this name? Day after day after day, until one day a guy answered. He said, yeah, we got an officer by that name in this precinct. I was shocked. I hadn't thought of what I would say next. I hadn't gone that far in my plan. I said, can I leave a message? Yeah, lady, what do you want to say? Just my name and my number? And then I waited beyond just having a relationship with him. I was seeking closure, like I was prepared to call him and him say, yeah, I know I know about you, and I don't want this. And I've known this whole time. I've been running. Why do you keep finding me? Why are you looking for me so hard?
Speaker 2: Behind me this whole time? And said that you were over there I heard a little girl was looking for me, and I got scared.
Speaker 1: I was just like so convinced that whether it was good or bad, if he would just tell me, I could let it go and maybe I could focus. So yeah, eventually he called, and he sounded very well meaning, and so then we scheduled to meet.
Speaker 2: What did he say on that phone call?
Speaker 1: He left a voicemail, actually, and I have it like pretty burned into my memory, and it was like, Hey, this is so and so I can't believe you found me. Thank you so much for calling me. I want to start out by saying I never denied you. I never was sure if you were my daughter. You know, I know that you're about to graduate high school, but like, I'm here, please call me. I want to have a relationship with you. Like all of the things he said, the right thing. Yes, I remember listening to the voicemail. I'm at a track of me and I'm just crying, crying, crying, just pouring us, pouring, pouring, pouring out of me. And I was just like, Okay, so let's go. And so we meet in the parking lot of a Chili's restaurant because I like dramatics, baby.
Speaker 2: I mean that's just like an American family and family American store, like you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, Chili, No, I'm in the chili. We met in the park life and then we went in and I'll.
Speaker 2: Tell you there's nothing like a conversation with your distant father at a chain.
Speaker 1: Restaurant, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: For me and my father, like we were always having these like emotional talks about his ability and capability as a time at a Ruby Tuesday.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're familiar, yes, but like that is where fathers are. Some something happened really able to Like it's the TV, the terms with something.
Speaker 1: Maybe they should start doing family therapy.
Speaker 2: And like, honestly, I think it would be nice.
Speaker 1: Thursday, you know market get bad. Yeah, we met. The first time I walked up to him. It's like walking up to a mirror, a mirror that only shows you certain parts of yourself. I looked in his eyes and I saw my own eyes looking back at me. It was weird. It was like he got him from me, like maybe I was his dad. He was kind of like what I imagined. He was very like very buff, like bodybuilder buff, and he told me he had won the title of like bodybuilding competitions a few years like has awards and medals. He was like, oh, I'm an award winning cop, you know. He just he was like longer than yeah. He was like, I'll be saving people. I was like, we're not taking care of him.
Speaker 2: Weird, so weird.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of duties, right, But no, he was like we had such similar mannerisms. He was so charismatic. We're sitting in this Chili's and he's talking to me like he's know life. I'm going to be like, yeah, so I was your mom was Wallen, and I just, you know, I wasn't sure and I heard that you were moving around and I couldn't like really track you down, and like I didn't even care about that. I was like so so over that it was. I was so excited to ask my dad where are our people from? Because I obviously like we're from Africa, but like, you know, because I had been trying to find out who I was my whole life, and he was like, yeah, I don't know, we're from like Mississippi or something.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you kind of a question that might find that I don't know if.
Speaker 1: It's going to go for it to the line, get it.
Speaker 2: Well, just how did you feel like in your blackness in a way hanging out with people? Did you have black friends? Did you have? But really where were you at? Like how did you fit?
Speaker 1: It was? But I also on my mom's side of the family was the only black person. I remember not being able to talk to my mom's sister about like my hair. I wasn't able to because her hair is wildly different, or my grandmother having to always pay somebody to braid my hair because she was like, I just I literally can't.
Speaker 2: Keep trying to do it, and I want you to look good, and I want you.
Speaker 1: To let's pay somebody to come and do it. And so to then jump into my dad's family and be the I would say, the lightest skin black person. There was this dynamic where I was like, what's our culture over here? Tell me what we have? And he was like culture, I'm a cop, right, Like you're a CoP's daughter.
Speaker 2: Now, No, totally, that's like a whole nother thing, you know, like being a bit cut off from some kind of connection, some sort of something.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, you could tell. When I asked him that he had never ever considered that before. Damn, like where our people are from?
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: And I think I don't judge too many Black Americans for feeling that way, but as somebody who had like just searched my whole life to try to figure out who I was, it was shocking to me that he was like not even a little curious.
Speaker 2: Well, also, your grandmother is Italian and Jewish exactly, which is like deep in the identity, do you know what I mean? So there's probably a piece of that too that you're kind of like carry over to your other side.
Speaker 1: Yes, I even you know, you know, I like some of the Jewish traditions. I washed my ants so as I wake up, you know what I mean. And I also like to celebrate Dwale. It's an Indian holiday. I love it. I think it feels like the new Year to me. So to kind of have this mix of things that are important to me, and then for my dad to be like, I don't know, like just try to make money and like just like I don't know, don't get arrested. I was like, what are we? What's our mantra? What flag is on the wall? I'm sad and now that I've like taken you know, DNA tests and stuff like that, and I know that I'm a little Nigerian and I have people from like early old I'm like, I love that. Yeah, And I was just like, this is fun. Don't you just want to your identity celebrate?
Speaker 2: You want to wonder because well we know where.
Speaker 1: We came from with it makes your storyteller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta have the contacts.
Speaker 1: It mattered to me. I was like, let's what are we.
Speaker 2: Doing thinking back on it now, like do you think about, like, oh, what was he feeling? How do you see him?
Speaker 1: I remember him saying to me, like because he had to travel to come see me. Once we decided to meet up, and he was saying that he felt really lonely on the plane ride and like in the hotel I guess that he had stayed in, and I think it was like almost like this pilgrimage. I think he felt like he was making to me, but I had no sympathy for that, right, I didn't show it, but I definitely felt that in the moment. I still feel that way now, and I felt this way with a lot of people in my life. I feel like when I started to talk to him about things that I had been through. It was wildly uncomfortable for him, like to the point where I stopped. I was like, Okay, I won't tell you about any of the other foster homes.
Speaker 2: You could sense it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, you're really uncomfortable with that.
Speaker 2: Life is too heavy for you to hold.
Speaker 1: This lifetime story. You'd rather you'd rather not yea. And it wasn't that I wanted to like make him feel bad, but I wanted to help him understand how I had been built up. I felt like that was important because I have these ideas of what a father daughter relationship is supposed to look like, but none of those relationships that I saw depicted had a person like me. So I was like, oh, I need you to understand that, Like I don't even know how to have a dad, So let's let me tell you, like some of what the things I've been through.
Speaker 2: Did you all? So after you met, did you maintain a relationship?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But it was rocky because again I went from being a foster kid who moved around a ton and really never had much of an authority figure totally to being a CoP's daughter. Yeah, and now I'm ingratiated into Cop Barbecue's COPI basements. So he pulls you in, yes, and he's like, it's this weird thing among the other cops where they're like, Wow, you found a daughter that was in foster care this whole time.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're such a good man for taking her and you're reunited.
Speaker 1: It's this whole thing. And I felt a lot of disconnection with him, and I often felt like, well, if I didn't call him, we didn't talk.
Speaker 2: Sure, And so.
Speaker 1: By the time I graduated college, I was like, I know what it's like to not have a dad, right, and now I've had a dad, and it's been kind of shitty. Can it's you always have a gun. It's just not relaxing. It's not relaxing as I thought it was gonna be first boyfriend home to me. You you're cleaning your gun again. Why is your gun always so dirty?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: Like, this is insane, so dirty.
Speaker 2: I know you don't have to clean it all the time.
Speaker 1: You said you have used a locked cleaning it, and I said, I was ringing rell over tonight. Right. You knew he was good. My father made one promise to me when he met he met me at eighteen, he said he would pay for my college education, a very reasonable promise. Four years later I graduated, I afforded him the first student loan bill. He wrote me back, he said, what's this? I said, what's this? It's that thing. It's that thing that I've been working on, you know, the last four years, A thing that foster kids rarely get to do, the thing that I had been focused on before you ever came into my life. It's the thing, he said, I don't really have the money for it. You gonna have to figure it out. But my dad had taken out private bank loans for me. There was no deferring, there was no consolidating. They went into my account and they took the money. Whether I had it or not. They would overdraw me. Sixty days from getting that first student loan bill, I had no viction notice on my front door. For all of my efforts to be self sufficient, my new dad showed up and shot me. At the starting line.
Speaker 2: In your story, you talk about like a big promise he makes you. He promises to pay for your school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he promises to pay for my student loans, which I think is like the right thing to do when you meet a girl, she's about to turn eighteen, and she's she got into college herself.
Speaker 2: I love that you say when you meet a girl, When you meet a girl and it's like his daughter.
Speaker 1: You met a girl and she's yours, and she's like, yeah, I'm not going to college. I benefuse her. Kid. I've been I've you know, like I've overcome incredible things. Yeah, to accomplish this goal way before you even got here.
Speaker 2: It wasn't unsolicited, though, it was unsolicited because I'm assuming I would never ask for it.
Speaker 1: Of course no, and I, without him, had already gotten a few scholarships, so I was like already, like I wouldn't know he was going to show up, you know, I didn't know he's the answer to the phone. So I had already been like, you know, getting it done, but still definitely needed help. And also it was kind of this like do you that like, well, I'll go to Temple in Philly because it's close to Jersey and then I'll be able to continue, you know, this relationship.
Speaker 2: You know, so you were making a choice sort of somewhat based on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could win anywhere. I had good grades. I was getting scholarships, but yeah, So he promised to pay. And then throughout college we're really only talking here and there. We're just not talking that much, like you know, I don't know, a couple times a year we're talking. But I forward him the first bill and he's like, what's this m And he's like, why just don't have the money, like tell them to defer it, tell them to you know whatever. But he had taken out like private bank loans, like a like a bank called Wakovia, which I don't even think it exists anymore. And so you can't like consolidate those, you can't defer those. They're just kind of take it. And so once he broke that promise to me, it was like the icing on the cake where I was like, you know, I've literally forgiven you for not being here. I survived without you this long. If you can't keep this promise to me, I'm not going to look in your face every day and lie and be like this is my Daddy's amazing m hm. He's ruining my life and my credit. You. I wrote him a letter because I felt like you wouldn't really talk to me about it. So I wrote him a letter, like put it in the mail and was just like, here's the numbers you said you would pay for this, because I'm still like living on my own, I'm working, I'm trying to survive. And I was like, I'm not gonna continue a relationship with you if you're not gonna keep this promise. And he's like, well, you're gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Figure it out.
Speaker 1: He has no sympathy. You're gonna have to figure it out. You could have nobody told you to go to Temple, you know, you could have went somewhere it was cheap, or just anything he can say to shirk the responsibility. He's not, so then our relationship becomes like now we're just only talking about the student loans. I was sitting in my apartment and I found myself obsessed with the YouTube series Finding Your Roots. That's where they have a celebrity on they test their DNA and they tell him something cool like your aunt is Pocahontas. That sounded write up my alley to find my Roots? Hey who books this? Hey? How do I get on this? Somebody find my roots? Can you all find my roots? I was going crazy that day. I watched ten hours of this YouTube series. Finally, I slammed the laptop shut. I pried myself away from it, only at that exact moment to get an email notification on my phone. It was from Kevin Hart's production team. They were asking me for a sample of my DNA so that I could be in a commercial for twenty three and meters. How could this be? I was just thinking about this. Could the FBI really be that efficient? They've bugged my tiny queen's apartment. They're watching my YouTube. I had spit on a lot of things for free. I said, send the tube. They test my DNA. We fly to California to shoot the commercial, and the commercial was about my genetic predisposition. They told me I was most likely afraid of heights and good at public speaking. They were right about both. I get back to New York City. I'm in an uber. It feels like a regular day. Then the twenty three and Me app buzzes. It says, your family tree is ready? Would you like to load it up? I said, load it up, baby, I'm in an uber. I'm in New York City. I'm in a uber. The app says, you know, here's you at the bottom of your family tree, and here's your half brother named Anthony from Philadelphia, and I never heard Anthony, but I had dated quite a few Anthony's from Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Which is an amazing piece.
Speaker 1: Of Then I felt like, oh, Kevin Hart set this up. This is I'm being like punked. But it's like shameful because they're trying to expose me for unknowingly fucking my brother Hart. That's hilarious. I'm like, this uber has cameras and if they're recording right now, they're trying.
Speaker 2: To get a take. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I tracked this guy down. I just like find a photo of him, and then I'm like, Okay, I didn't fuck this guy. We're so good, thank goodness, goodness. But then I really like and at first I didn't know if he was my mother's son or my father's son, because my mom, you know, I haven't had a relationship. She's been out here band crazy. I was like, she could add too the kid maybe you know. So then I message him on twenty three meters. I say hey with a bunch of whys totally because I was like, how do you even start this? I got a lot to tell you, And I was like, yeah, I think, like you know, I'm your sister, like, you're my parents have ever heard of them? And he writes me back and he's like, no, this is shocking. I've never heard those people. But my mom is white. I know I'm half black. I never met my dad. I said, guess what, Io, we got the same dad. Get in here. That sounds like something you would do. And so he writes me and he says that he's currently in Bahrain. He's in the Navy. He's been stationed there, which somewhat.
Speaker 2: Of an interesting thing that, you know, sort of the nature versus nurture question of like your dad being a cop and now he's in the navy. It's like, okay, they're a little bit built for what a gun?
Speaker 1: A gun? And he's like, oh, I'm I've told everybody on the base about my brand new sister and we're watching your Comedy Central specials and like if like we're celebrating a birth. Like it's just wow, it's something I couldn't write. And I'm a great writer.
Speaker 2: I've written some pretty good ya.
Speaker 1: And so he's like, I'm gonna take leave and I'll come to Philly. I'll come see you. And so he comes and he comes with me to a bunch of shows, and luckily they were great shows, so it was really fancy. Yeah, people are like, oh, miss Ali, would you I use your green room? And he's like, wow, you're my sister, you know, and it just was so healing. And he reminded me a lot of my dad when I first met him. Obviously a little different in how they look, but the same eyes, the same vibe, but more kind, you know, like more empathetic. And so I asked him, like, do you want to meet her dad? Like, I'll give you his phone number. I found it, I have it, and so he's like, uh, yeah, I don't know, because like the guy sounds like an asshole. And I was like, wow, my little brother's smarter than me. He already can tell because this guy has two children running around that he and take care that maybe he's probably not gonna be because I was like, I don't know, maybe is gonna be okay, you know, but yeah, I still, you know, wanted to talk to my dad about it. And so I messaged him and like we had probably gotten to that point of talking maybe twice a year, only ever about my student loans, nothing else. And I message him and I'm like Hey, I booked a commercial, took this test. This kid is your kid. Here's his mom's name. You ever date her? And he's like, I worked with her an interance company, but we never dated. And like you need to just pay your student loans and stop smoking weed. That's what he says. It really was one of those days that like, I don't think I've ever been more angry in my life. The fact that he wasn't really able to discuss this with me, and he tried to make it seem like the most he would consent to was like, maybe he is my son, but if he is, then it's my business and I'm going to investigate. And I was like, you suck it, investigation. I found you, I found him, I've done all of this, you know. And that's the last thing that my father said to me, is that I'm going to reach out to him and I'll figure it out. And so to oh that that was a lie was like such confirmation for me, because I do think that like when you are in this dynamic with a parent and they tell you that something is right, you want to trust it, you want to believe it, you know. And so I told him that day, like if you're not gonna acknowledge this, at least that you have not taken care of two kids and you've been protected by it by your gun and badge that you love so much. Then like, don't hit me up anymore, Just don't hit me up. And I think he said something like I still want us to have a relationship, and I was like, I felt like as a big sister, I couldn't stomach that. I was like, I will not ask you how your day has been when I know you have a son that you have not researched, you have none investigator, you have not and I'm talking to him and he's a great person, and so to me it was like, my dad is such an idiot. You have two really successful kids who don't really need you, And that made me feel that much more powerful. Honestly that I was like, we are the legacy, me and him, we are we're not even holding your name, and we are the best parts of you, and we're very lucky and we weren't raised by you because who knows like the version of Chanelle that I would have been, she wasn't gonna like I'd be on stage, but probably like for a different reason, you know what I mean, We don't want to think about that. You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying. It would be a problem. But yeah, I just it gave me this power to like have peace and resolve with it because we are the legacy we are, and we are making it so much better by not continuing the things that our parents have done. I think also my brother has helped me heal even more because I was this comedian who was accomplishing incredible goals, but I didn't have this like nuclear family. I didn't like I have done so many comedy shows where I've met comedians and they're like, this is my mom and my dad. That's never been my experience. So then I meet my new brother and he starts coming to all my shows and he's constantly saying, I'm so proud of you. I can't believe my sister is a comedian. I'm telling everybody, he's championing me in a way that I've been searching the whole time. So to get that exact thing that you needed so bad you didn't even know you needed it until you got it. To get that from my brother really makes me feel so much more whole, Like, I'm so blessed that my dad is such a fuck up mm that me and my brother had to become exceptional human beings and then find each other. Wow, you know, Like, I'm really blessed. We could have been bums with a great dad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's something about like men and masculinity and like the inability to know what to do with fatherhood that doesn't allow you to bring that into your familial relationships.
Speaker 1: I also always think that like daughters and sons, we are like the new and improved version of our parents in a lot of ways. So some of the things that they're able to perpetrate on the world, they can't with us because we know it. We know it intrinsically. I know the parts of my dad that I can't reconcile with because I have reconciled with those things with myself. Like there was a time in my life when I wasn't able to accept criticism, whether it was constructive or not. There was a time in my life when you could not tell me nothing, And I had to learn from life that you will never become the best version of yourself if nobody can never tell you nothing. If nobody can ever call you out for what you've done. And so I understand that that part of him is so big and so strong, and it's been there for so long that I'm not going to play with him, you know.
Speaker 2: So how did you deal?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just move forward. I mean Shirley to goodness, not you wrote this show. I mean show making peace with it absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean that day when I had that big argument with him. I started writing the show that day totally. And when I wrote the first paragraph of it, I was like, this is amazing. It's gonna run away and we're going to be because and that's also something that thing has helped me reconcile with it. Right, he was protected by this badge so that the two kids that he had could never find him. We couldn't find him, right and now by his lack of responsibility. I'm gonna tell the story to everybody. I've already told the story worldwide. I've done the Melbourne Comedy Festival, I've taken it to London. It's around and it's gonna keep growing and it's gonna be part of my legacy forever. And the secret that you really thought you buried is now the cornerstone. I'm gonna be totally and that's just ooh, that's delicious. I mean, yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 2: What is one thing you've had to unlearn about love?
Speaker 1: I think it's something that I learned, like in the last few years, is that your body knows. And it's really having me to say that, because for years I used to think that whether it was romantic love or familial love, if I was nervous around somebody, I used to feel like that that I respected them a lot, or that I really liked him, you know, like I really respect him as a man, because when he comes around, I'd be like, better watch what I say. I'm scared. I don't know what he's gonna do, right, And like, through some work and through some therapy, I learned that, like, no, my body is reacting to certain parts of certain people that I know well and that I know is not stable. And so like, seek out people in your life that make you feel calm, creative and loved.
Speaker 2: Where did you like find this softness or something?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because you are powerful of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And the closing of your story, the end of your set, it is absolutely like get on your feet. People get out there, change your lives.
Speaker 1: It's around you.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like, oh my god, let me break this now. Yeah, you do have this. There's like this vulnerability softness to it that's really like give yourself credit for what you have done.
Speaker 1: I also credit that to being a big sister. You know, when I was going through foster care. I have another little brother. We have different dads, so he has his own bad dad story. But being a big sister throughout that, it taught me about how to motivate somebody. And also I just think when you self parent, I had to one day decide what kind of parent I was going to be for myself, and I knew that I wanted to be the kind that was going to be really disappointed in Chanel if she didn't do what she was supposed to do, but also understanding if today it was too much and you had to be late because of you know, something else. And also therapy. Shout out to therapist.
Speaker 2: Do you have in your mind, like the biggest takeaway you want people to have from when you tell this story, are you like, yes.
Speaker 1: What is it? It's that we are not a con nation of our traumas a lot of conversations. I think can feel that way when people ask you about what you've been through and what your parents are like, what your life was like. But we are actually a combination of all of the days after and what we chose to do. And when you think about your life, if you have been through hard things like this and you think about how you stop that cycle in your family, how you are not the person that created a lifestyle similar to yours. That is something to be so proud of. It's really a badge of honor to say that in all of the legacy of my family, the toxicity stopped with me, right, So if you hear my voice, then you have people in your life who lie to you, manipulate you, gaslight you, and you're wondering when is it gonna end? When are they going to stop all the bullshit and own up to the hand that they played and the trauma that you felt. When is it gonna end? When is it gonna end? We are the end? We are the end. I am the end. My future kids will never know the depths of the things that I've seen. And you, you all are a combination of your parents' greatest abilities, a version of themselves. That they could never be more grand, more wild. We are the end. We are the generation that's not having kids when we're not ready for them. We are the generation that's not gonna stay in a toxic relationship for forty fucking years wondering what happened to our heart, what happened to our life. We're not gonna work a job for a lifetime to make someone else rich. We are not gonna witness atrocities near or far and feel nothing. We are the end. We are the end. I am the end. This is the end. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to Chanelle for being so open and sharing your story with us, one who has some generational healing to do. This story was so inspiring to me. Thanks everyone for listening, and I'll talk to y'all next week. Boy Sover is a production of iHeart Podcasts. I'm your host, Hopewordard. Our executive producers are Christina Everett and Julie Pinero. Our supervising producer is Emily Meronoff. Our assistant producer is Logan Palau. Engineering by Bahid Fraser and mixing and mastering by Abu Zafar. If you liked this episode, please tell a friend, and don't forget to rate, review, and subscribe to boy Sober on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, and wherever you get your favorite shows.