Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, Eve's here. I know you're ready to get into this episode, but really quick. We have been loving connecting with y'all over black storytelling, and if you've really been loving the show, then we would really appreciate it if you would leave us a rating and review, subscribe to the show, and share it with your friends. Thanks y'all. Now time for the episode on Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media. Before we start in the show, a word of caution. Please be advised that some sensitive topics come up in today's episode around slavery and violence, so please take caution when listening to this episode. Under ordinary circumstances, as a traveler, I should have been glad to see the tavern, which was near the milestone, but as the case stood with me, I deemed it a dangerous place to pass, much less to stop at. I was therefore passing it as quietly and as rapidly as possible, when from the lot just opposite the house or signpost, I heard a coarse, stern voice cry hello. I turned my face to the left the direction from which the voice came, and observed that it proceeded from a man who was digging potatoes. I answered him politely, when the following occurred, Who do you belong to? I am free, sir. Have you got papers? No, sir, well you must stop here. By this time he had got astride the fence, making his way into the road. I said, my business is onward, sir, and I do not wish to stop. I will see then if you don't stop, you black rascal. He was now in the middle of the road, making after me in a brisk walk. I saw that a crisis was at hand. I had no weapons of any kind, not even a pocket knife. But I asked myself, shall I surrender without a struggle? The instinctive answer was no. What will you do? Continue to walk? If he runs after you run, get him as far from the house as you can, then turn suddenly and smite him on the knee with a stone that will render him at least unable to pursue you. This was a desperate scheme, but I could think of no other, and my habits as a blacksmith had given my eye in hand such mechanical skill that I felt quite sure that if I could only get a stone in my hand and have time to wield it, I should not miss his kneepand he began to breathe short. He was evidently vexed because I did not halt, and I felt more and more provoked at the idea of being thus pursued by a man to whom I had not done the least injury. I had just began to glance my eye about for a stone to grasp when he made a tiger like leap at me. This, of course, brought us to running. At this moment he yelled out, Jake Shallster. And at the next moment, the door of a small house standing to the left was opened, and out jumped a shoemaker, girded up in his leather apron. With his knife in hand. He sprang forward and seized me by the collar, while the other sees my arms behind. I was now in the grasp of two men, either of whom were larger body than myself, and one of whom was armed with a dangerous weapon. I'm Katie and I'm Eves. Today's episode do we need more slavery movies? That story you just heard was one from the life of James W. C. Pennington. His story is fascinating. James was born into slavery and Maryland in eighteen oh seven. He escaped in eighteen twenty eight, moved to the Northeast, became a minister, and eventually became the first Black American to take classes at Yale University. That riveting moment that you heard just now is from his eighteen forty nine autobiography The Fugitive Blacksmith. James is on his journey to freedom. He has just run into a white man who recommends that he stay off the road and gives him directions to a safe house. But because James loses his way and he can't find a good hiding place in the woods, he returns to the road, and this gets him caught up. He passes a tavern and runs into the man that we meet in the excerpt. That man and a few others capture James. When they ask James who he belongs to and where he came from, James faces a moral dilemma. Should he lie, tell the truth, or say nothing at all. Ultimately, the right choice is clear. Those guys don't care about his life, so telling the truth is not worth going back to the Louisiana cotton fields. Of course, they don't believe him without other evidence, so they take him to a couple of magistrates to verify his status, but the magistrates are not at home. In the end, James tells his captors a lie that's good enough to assuage them for the time being. It probably helps that he mentioned smallpox, and none of the folks gathered want anything to do with the deadly contagious disease.
Speaker 2: So did James get away?
Speaker 1: No, the saga continues. James's captors have spent their time chasing him and walking him around the neighborhood. They absolutely cannot let a negro be free if he's supposed to be in captivity, so they plan to keep him around for a few months while they sort out the situation. So that day, James escapes while a boy who's about nine years old is keeping watch over him. And it's a tense scene. It's also obviously a critical point in James's story, like it's really life or death. His narrative has like all the hallmarks of a captivating drama. It's full of conflict, spur of the moment decisions, and internal moral dilemmas. And if you read the scene I was just telling you about, you will definitely want to read more. And this might be controversial to stay in this day and age, but I do think slave narratives deserve more screen time, hmm, say more so that I know of. I don't think anyone has had beef with slavery documentaries or nonfiction. There are an overwhelming number of slave narratives told in academic and non academic books, but I think on a mass American scale, people are typically engaging with dramatized slavery films and that's where their opposition lies. People are sick of fictional and fictionalized stories about slavery, and the arguments are plentiful. Every time another slave movie comes out, it's you know, trauma porn. Also, a lot of the slavery movies are made in Hollywood, where most of the writers', producers and executive producers are white, so you know, white folks are grossly, doubly capitalizing off of our pain. And some Black people are just tired of seeing representations of black people who are struggling in media. They're tired of seeing these sob stories with negative drama at every These folks will often advocate for more black stories of triumph and success or stories where black people are living lavish, wealthy lives. They say things like we should be looking forward and not backward.
Speaker 2: And you don't agree with that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think there are problems. There is that element of positivity washing and this kind of desire to uplift only exceptional Black people. And also time is a flat circle. It doesn't really do us any favors to divorce ourselves from our past and the people who are the reason for our existence today if we are the descendants of slaves. But I think a lot of the points that people bring up against slavery movies are very valid. A lot of them do have a lot of trauma in them that are just there for trauma's sake, and a lot of them are financial endeavors. They really don't care about telling those stories. Well. But I think that even though slavery movies have their pain points, we need more of them. There are some slavery movies that have gratuitous violence to make the institution of slavery seem sufficiently horrible to skeptical or ignorant white folks. Often in these kinds of cases, the storytelling really centers white audiences. But the reality is that we are under educated in the United States. There are people of all races who don't know much about the realities of black history, let alone slavery history, and yes, that includes black people. We have so much more to learn about our history, and that info can become more palatable for people when it's presented in dramatized accounts. For US Black Americans, I think it can be really easy for us not to place emphasis on the history of enslavement and our links to it, because public school curriculums don't emphasize it, and if it's importance isn't otherwise impressed upon us, then it's easy to take for granted. Many of us who had enslaved ancestors don't know their specific histories, and I know that many of us aren't cracking open an old slave autobiography and settling into our favorite reading spot on a Sunday morning. And on top of all of that, the history of enslaved people has been purposely buried and erased. Enslaved people were people, though I'd like to know their stories. I want to know how they lived, what they smelled when they woke up in the morning, how it felt for them to see the sun shining through windows and what their favorite meals were to cook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I empathize with people who say they're tired of slavery movies because of the ones we've been given. There is a lot of violence, and it does seem like it's there just to traumatize us, because that's what they do oftentimes. What I want to see. I think it would be really cool to see more depictions of like the Reconstruction era, because like we'll see depictions of like you know, the runaways, but like most people who are enslaver are running away, but it was like for that brief eight years during the Reconstruction era, like right after slavery was ended, there was a lot of stuff going good for black people. It didn't last, but I would like to see kind of like the end of slavery, maybe the Confederate army tried to get to fight for them, you know, turning on the people in the back of the line and shooting the Confederate soldiers and running over to the un inside and seeing how their life happened during the Reconstruction era. That's what I would like to see, And like you said, like the more nuanced stories that shows what their lives were like what their personalities were, like their relationships they had with each other, and not just the brutality.
Speaker 1: So I think about it this way sometimes that I can imagine if people had never been kidnapped from the African continent and brought to the Caribbean and the shores of the Americas, Like, would we still be trying to erase hundreds of years worth of those stories. All of those stories are compelling. There's mystery, there's intrigue. All of these people were individuals. They had cool skills, they had dangerous plans, and they executed them, and they fell in love and they deceived their loved ones. All of that is very interesting, And I just want to think about how we can acknowledge how we are hurt by these kinds of stories and all that trauma that you were talking about, and all of the slavery movies that we do have. It's very real, it's very embodied. They are all valid reactions. I am there right there with you, And I also want to ask for more rich, complex stories about slaves. Now am I asking for a lot? Is the question? Can we really get that?
Speaker 2: In a way, it feels a little counter productive to ask for fewer slavery movies. We don't want to see more stories about black trauma. And I get that, I don't want to see that either, but the call is usually in all out moratorium on these movies, like none at all, no more cut them. And that feels like, I don't know, like white people won again, Like they already have erased our history textbooks in the non fiction space, so letting them erase this long period of our history and wiping out the names and the stories and families off the face of the earth again, it's like, I don't know, it feels wrong. And like think about Roots, the nineteen seventy six novel by Alex Haley. It was a bestseller and it was soon turned into a couple of TV series and it had a real impact, Like people was gathered around that TV to watch The Roots when it came out, and it really got people of all races interested in researching their family history, but you know, particularly black people. A lot of genealogical groups were made during that time because they wanted to learn more about their ancestors who came from Africa and lived on the plantations in the United States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Roots was maybe the most prominent example of a fictional slave narrative that was written by a black person in the last half century. I mean, Kunta Kitte was a household name. I don't know if it still is for the kids today, but from this generation standpoint, I feel like I can confidently say that, and there weren't other shows like it on television at the time. Since Roots, though, we have gotten a fair amount of major Hollywood films about slavery. Are they all good though? No, absolutely not. Unfortunately, Hollywood prioritizes money and stories that'll get a lot of butts in seats. Also, movies can only be so long. They have to filter through production company standards, audience testing, the rating system, all of those kinds of things, and Hollywood has a tendency to flatten stories that could be really intricate and interesting because of people's in Hollywood and because of all of these other moles that they have to fit into. I know that there are independent creators making films about slavery who really lack a larger platform, but they tell beautiful stories. You know, it's always the case that artists outside the mainstream they take risks and they step freely. But you know, Hollywood does have a white footprint. So speaking of Hollywood, it makes me think of Antebellum. So I love Janelle Monnet, but I did not love Antebellum, which came out in twenty and twenty and it was written and directed by a black filmmaker named Gerard Bush and a white filmmaker named Christopher Wrenz. Now that movie got a lot of heat and hate when it came out, and I'm not interested in just piling on to that, but I do think it's worthwhile to mention because it illustrates some of the pitfalls of movies that include enslaved people. Well, in this case, people are not really enslaved. But more on that soon. Here's a quick summary of the film. Antebellum. Starts on a plantation, are cruel and the enslaved people are brutally harmed and killed. Monette plays Eden, a slave on the plantation, but has revealed that in modern times, Money is doctor of Veronica Henley, a successful sociologist and doctor. And while she's on book tour, she's drugged and kidnapped, and she wakes up on the plantation, which is actually not a plantation. It turns out to be a civil war reenactment park, Monette kills the people running the park and she escapes. Now, Antebellum isn't exactly a slavery movie. It's horror and is not trying to depict history accurately, but it does use the cruelty of the history of slavery to try keyword there to get its point across. So it falls victim to some of the tropes that are in slavery movies. The characters are flat, including Moname's. The concept of the soul militant savior is also at play here because Monete's rescue effort is virtually solo as her collaborators dieviolence is gratuitous and unnecessary, and there's one woman who we barely get to know who suffers horrendous trauma before she dies by suicide. It seems like the film's creators like really just want to see black women suffer. The violence against black people in this film is definitely not earned. The white folks are seemingly kidnapping the black folks because they want America to go back to the way it was. It seems like the creator's intent is to oppose this white supremacist sentiment, but the vision isn't executed well, and in the end, it gives what so many actual historical slavery movies give trauma for the sake of trauma. I will say that some people found the premise unbelievable, and that is fair, but I don't think it's a completely bad heightened interpretation of what's possible in real life, because it's not unbelievable that like a white supremacist militia group would drug, kidnap whole hostage and torture black people. It just wouldn't be in something like a reenactment part that anyone can access and leave at any time, Like this is not an exact parallel to reality, but I do think there are parts of it that could be reality.
Speaker 2: Antabellum gave like they thought they were really being provocative, you know, like in that Kanye West sounds like it's provocative. It gets the people going, like they thought like, oh, people are going to be like whoa and like get all these awards, but it just kind of like huh, It's like this is what cinema is.
Speaker 1: And sadly, Antebellum is not an example of how to make a good movie about enslaved people. We need fewer slavery movies that spoonfeed audiences, discussed shock and sympathy. But I have to say that in general, feeling tired of slavery narratives period feels like a bit of a premature reaction. And I'm just saying that because slavery movies are actually kind of few and far between.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there really aren't that many that got major attention. There was Django and chand in twenty twelve, Twelve Years of Slave in twenty thirteen, Birth of a Nation in twenty sixteen, Harriet in twenty nineteen, Alice in twenty twenty two, and Emancipation also in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: The reality is, the film industry isn't flooded with slave movies, so we're not really inundated with slavery related trauma porn. It just seems that way because most of the movies that we do get revel way too long in the gore and the immorality of the whites. They don't spend much time in the interior worlds of the black people. It's like this horrible atrocity is just happening to black people. People are not tired because they are literally too many slave movies. They're tired because when they are released, they do enslaved people's stories no justice. There are literally thousands of stories about enslaved people that are compelling enough to be depicted on screen, and they haven't been. Now, I don't think that every person should just love watching slavery films. That would be wild of me to say. Of course, that can still be a matter of personal preference. Even having better slavery movies might not convince you to turn one on, and that's totally fine. But if we are going to ask for more of them, then we got to be specific. If we're going to have more, we need more well done, meaningful movies about slavery that are skillfully crafted.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't center white heroes.
Speaker 1: They shouldn't cheaply use the horror and trauma that enslaved people endure it to propel the story forward.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't cater to white audience looking to be absolved of their sins.
Speaker 1: They should be sensitive to the humanity of enslaved people because they were humans. They ate, they crafted, they danced. We have so many untapped stories about slavery, and as far as I know, there is no movie about James W. C. Pennington.
Speaker 2: So somebody in your long hand make that and make it well.
Speaker 1: Yes, but y'all, I feel like we have to prove to you that we're not the only ones who might want more slavery movies. We're not completely yelling into the void. Okay. We talked to Cheney McKnight of Not Your Mama's History more after the break. Hi, Cheney, I'm Eve so yeah, excited to have you here today too. We'll get into it then. So just tell us your name and then however you like to introduce yourself.
Speaker 3: My name is Cheney McKnight. I own a company called Not Your Mama's History, and we have a YouTube channel. We also go to sites, primarily sites of the enslavement and help those sites to tell stories of black folks, whether they were enslaved or free through the eighteenth and nineteenth century. And on my social medias, I just try and tell as many stories about black folks today and in the past, and also try to look forward into the future and bring us all into a better future.
Speaker 1: So what inspired you to start that work?
Speaker 3: Growing up in Georgia in Atlanta, we would go to well at school, we would go to trips to plantations, and especially when I went to a majority white school, I was just looking around, like the interpretations they were doing and the stories they were telling. I was like, this really looks like and sounds like bullshit. So even as a young child, I was like I got a question. Like whenever the docin was like do you have a question, I was the first person to raise my hand and say, I have a lot of questions. And I was very fortunate that I was raised by people who constantly took me to exhibits on black folks throughout history.
Speaker 1: So I know you're also into all these historical things that you do in real life, but also in the fictional world. I know that you're a film fan and that you also watch a lot of historical films, and some of those historical films are films about slavery and about enslaved people. So what is your take on whether we do not need more slavery films or whether we do.
Speaker 3: Oh man, this is such a contentious topic, and for a very good reason. I think if we look at the history of movies of enslavement, we've gone through phases where when you're looking at roots, people are trying to show the whole nitty gritty truth about slavery. Going further back, it's more like mental shows. So if you're looking at Gone with a Win and Mammy's character, it's a caricature and she is. Her character was not modeled often of an actual enslaved person, so they weren't looking at primary documents. They may have looked at some real women as far as her face, but they were actually looking at mental shows to build her character out. And then of course coming into the future through Roots. I think the Roots period, I understand where we were going because we're coming from the other side, where they're showing it is lifels so happy to be slaves and they're just having a good old time. And then we're going all the way to the extreme where every enslane person, on every second of the day is being whipped. And yes, there was some diversity in the experiences of these enslaved people, but there are these very two extremes that I find both of them stripped the humanity from people. Especially when we're coming up into Amistad. There was a lot of strong storytelling, but at the same time we missed a lot of the humanity. And I think also who were these films created for? Sorry, and I just the frustration for some people is that there isn't this diversity of narratives and a true humanity of these people shown in movies about enslavement. And I look at Joker. You're able to humanize this man who is pretty abhorrent, he's going through mental crisises. But they're able to show a wide range of emotion and humanity. And yet we are unable to do that with enslaved persons who are actual, real people. And we do have quite a bit of documentation about these people. So I don't I would say, I don't want to see another enslaved movie about enslavement in this country until we see a full, well thought out story. One of the things that I think about a lot when I'm on a sight of enslavement, when I'm either sleeping at a slave dwelling or in that place where enslave persons were living. Sometimes when I'm laying in bed, I think about, what are those conversations that they were having with their loved one about their days while they're laid side by side. What are those moments in the early morning when you're you got to get out of bed and you like and the babies crying and y'all arguing about who's gonna pick up the baby. So things like that that I really I'm not seeing brought in. And then also just what about a for example, a love story of that is not centered around enslavers. So I would love to see a movie about enslaved persons that we don't see and in slaver at all, but still showing the consequences of living life as property, but not centering it on that trauma, centering it on their experiences, their personality, their interactions with one another, the relationships they build internally within slave community. Those are some of the things that I'm hoping to see, But I'm not sure if I trust most media to do it correctly. So I'm not really pushing people because I'm not trying to get my feelings hurt.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, I feel you. Yeah. That was gonna be my question to whether you think that would even be possible when we know how Hollywood treats so many of its other films in general, I.
Speaker 3: Do not believe that if it is coming from Hollywood or any of these large production houses, Absolutely not, don't. I don't want to see it because it is not for It is not for the ancestors. It is not to tell the stories of the ancestors, It is not to support the descendants. This is either trauma porn for white folks or kind of a sorry excuse of like white saviorism. So I don't think it's possible in the way that our entertainment industry is structured now. However, I am hopeful and prayerful that we will have independent companies and funders who will come forward and give storytellers a chance, writers who want to collabse break with historians like myself and other historians. It doesn't have to be me. There's wonderful historians out there and not compromise on telling these stories appropriately.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like of all the slave movies that have been put out, you're not rocking with any of them. Are there any are the ones put out by Hollywood? Are there any movies or the fictional depictions of slavery that you think did a good job?
Speaker 3: Oh? I would say the closest would come Miss Jane Pittman.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean.
Speaker 3: It has those issues, but it really goes through her life, and I just I think that they did a very decent job of showing her full humanity as a person. So it follows the life of an enslaved woman who was born enslaved through her entire life from the nineteenth century to her challenging Jim Crow laws by drinking out of a of a white only drinking fountain. So I mean it spans a whole a whole century, and so I think that it really shows kind of the interactions, the internal interactions within black community over over decades.
Speaker 2: So did you see one with Kiki Palmer?
Speaker 3: Oh, Alice?
Speaker 2: I think Alice.
Speaker 3: I did not see Alice. Unfortunately it wasn't said.
Speaker 2: It was in like the seventies, so it was like a they were never told that slavery ended. So like the people on that plantation have been enslaves until she escaped.
Speaker 3: Which is this real, real life story. Yeah, I will definitely. I have not seen that yet. I have seen most of everything I've seen the one with Janelle.
Speaker 4: Monet ante Bellum, which I don't know if you saw my saw first of all, you've tore it down in a very meticulous way.
Speaker 2: Okay, give us some of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, ante Bellum. So the first thing first, it was very interesting because from the jump, I was like, this looks like a reenactment, because usually when Hollywood does nineteenth century after I would say after the eighties, there's at least proper undergarments, like the bell shape of the dresses. Just just they were using like tiki torches or the equivalent of tiki torches in the background, more modern stuff. But it looked like the stuff that reenactors choose to that feels old timy, and I was like, huh, which actually fit very well. I think that's one thing they did very well. It looked like modern people created a reenactment. And then that's where it all went wrong.
Speaker 2: And I guess that aligns with the twist of the movie.
Speaker 3: Yes it does. So the twist is that yes, she is this. They aren't actually enslaved back in the day. At first, I thought it would be more like a Kendrit so Octavia's Kendred. I know that lot of people compared the two storylines, but it's not the same. One is all set in the here and now, there's no science fiction. The other one is very much steeped in fiction and science fiction, jumping back and forth in time. I see where they were trying to go, but it was just why why it was just trauma for the sake of trauma. And I really it really discussed me when people use my ancestors just for the sake of trauma and just the sake of horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it also felt in that movie like they used the entire institution of slavery as a plot point, like they really didn't need to go back to the times where people were enslaved to make this point that like there are white supremacists and I don't want you to live on this earth anymore. And that meant that because they included slavery, it still fell victim to so many of the problems that other movies that are actually about slavery have. So yeah, lots of problems and trauma, lots of trauma, And I can see with movies like that and others why you wouldn't trust them. How can more of that idea of the every day and the mundane and community efforts, all those kinds of things, How can more of those be included in slavery films? And what do you think those should or could look like?
Speaker 3: I think from the jump there has got to be a lot of debunking. I cannot tell you how many black folks have argued with me about the structure of the enslaved community. This idea that light skinned people were in the house and they only worked in the house, and dark skinned people were in the field and they only worked in the field. That just was not the case for in every situation, or even the majority of situations. We get a lot of that from Thomas Jefferson from Monticello because he structured his enslaved persons the haves and the have nots. So he put up those barriers very strictly at Monticello, and of course there's a lot of interviews of people from Monticello, so that's kind of the view that we get. Also, a lot of what we know about enslaved communities comes from menstrreal shows. We don't even realize how integrated our minteal shows are still in in our modern day entertainment, even outside of movies about enslavement. So when we get to looking at community represented within movies of enslavement, the first steps would be acclimating the audience to really understanding the reality of these communities. And that's a vast diversity within the Black community so people who worked in the house would not have only worked in the house because that's a waste of resources. People who worked in the field would have had interactions with people in the house because those are their family members and their community members. I would show more events that happened through the year, more daily interactions, so when you are going to eat, there is always someone who will be like, I have extra. So when you're reading the WPA, I'm sorry, the WPA narratives, you see a lot of that where there are interactions between enslave persons, where people have more of I don't know greens and another person went hunting, and there isn't this running tab of you owe me this or you owe that. You would have just seen people dropping off greens or dropping off a hair like a rabbit or something dropping off even gator where wherever you are to help support one another. When you start looking at simple things that have been portrayed as the happy negro singing in the field, that was a community effort to protect one another. So first and foremost, if you keep pace the young folks who you know, they can outpace all of us. But if they do that, then the rest of us will never be able to keep up. It'll make and then someone will get punished. But if you can keep a pace where the slower people can move up and the people, the young folks who are you know out there, and then bring everybody into about the middle. That is what the songs are about keeping time. Also the love that the adults had for the children when they teach them the songs. This is an act of love because children started working at four and expected to independently work. How many of us have seen a four year old that can sit down and actually do something like polish silver or make nails. The nailery at Mount Vernon kids as young as six years old. So you teach them songs to keep them on task. And maybe if the adult who is monitoring them can't keep their eyes on them, but you can call out and you can hear the song continue going, so you can hear that they're still at their task, because if they aren't on task, we know what that will mean. So there are little things within the daily life of enslaved persons that have been it's represented for years. That is an act of community love and mediation for one another. Also, looking at the structure of enslaved communities. Pastors and preachers were considered very dangerous because they had a lot of power within enslaved communities. Also, African born folks, especially if they were healers, they were considered to be powerful and they held special places within Black communities. Elders held special places within Black communities. A lot of times, when we see movies where they look at the internal structure of the enslave community, they really put the perceptions of the enslavers and how they perceive the enslaved community and their leadership. So if you look at some movies, it is the black overseers that are considered to be in charge or the master's man, the butler, or the housekeeper, and that's just not the case. Black folks appointed their own leadership. And if whenever I see and I'm looking at journals or papers and if an enslaver here's about an issue that's going on within the enslaved community, there is a serious breakdown within the community, that means that through a lot of work, they could not resolve it. And so that is so rare. When I see really serious incidents make it to the enslaver's ears. That means that something's going within the community.
Speaker 1: Clearly, everything you just said, I heard conflict, you know, I heard love, I heard care, I heard organization. I mean, all of these things are parts of storytelling. So it's not like anybody can sit there and say, well, they're not interesting. Yes they are. They're people's lives. So I think I'm glad that you say it so much because it helps people understand who may not be so familiar with the history of slavery. I mean, I would guess most people aren't like you are because you study it and you work on these things. I think it really helps break down just how many more stories we need to hear. And that also, I think you made it clear that just like these films that we're seeing is just a continuation, a perpetuation of the idea that, like these histories are being written by our oppressors. Like, just how much we need to pay attention to the people who are creating these works that we are consuming, and that you know, if we're cognizant of that, then we can also understand that there are creators who can hold these things with more sensitivity and care. So are there any specific enslaved people whose stories you like? To see and created by the made by the right creators of course told well, like let's assume that they know what they're doing. They are masterful at visual storytelling. They treat the story really well. All of that. Let's assume all of that is the case. Is there any person's story you like to see on screen?
Speaker 3: There is one particular person that I have wanted to hear see the story played out on video on film, and that is Hercules Posey, chef Hercules Posey. He was enslaved by George Washington, and the foremost historian on Hercules Posy is Ramine Genish Tramp and she has made it her life's work to telling his story. There have been people who have taken advantage of that and misrepresented her work and Hercules Posy. So for me, I would love to see his full story played out. Because he was a chef, he was also considered to be a dandy. But also no matter how well he was treated, still, oh that's a good question. So someone who dresses very well and carries themselves very posh. Well, so he always had his hair on point, he always had his clothing on point. And we know that he was married, he had children, and he may have trained his son in his craft as well. His story spans from Virginia to New York, through Pennsylvania through the presidency, and it also shows what I like to continually point out to people that we have got to stop describing slavery based off of the conditions, because for every one experience that enslaved persons had, I can point to a poor white person that had a similar experience. However, the horror of slavery is really rooted in the fact that it is hereditary chattel slavery, that they will be enslaved, their children will be enslaved, their grandchildren will be enslaved, their great grandchildren will be enslaved, and so on and so forth, with no change. And so whether someone is wearing the finest clothing at one moment, George Washington showed him at the next moment, I could have you in rags, breaking rocks. So his life really spans and he also was a freedom seeker. He grabbed his own freedom, and so I love his story and I think, if ever I had a wish, I would love to see that. I would love to see Hercules posey. I would love to see the actual historians brought in primarily were me Ganishram, who dedicated her life to his story. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just can only imagine the things he heard being George Washington's chef.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, on a judge, on a judge as well, because she she literally wore silk gowns, never was swept, laid in bed, and when she reached for her freedom and sought her freedom along with her children, and someone came to her when she was living in squalor and they were like, the Washington's will take you back, she was like, nah, I'm good, I'm good here in poverty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it really shows how precious freedom is.
Speaker 2: Right no matter like you said, the condition, because at the end of the day, you are considered someone's property, whether you're in a silk robe or not.
Speaker 3: Right, and they love, they love. So one of the interesting things about North American slavery that's different from the West Indies. I find in the West Indies they relied on share brutality to keep people in line, and I think it creates a different mentality because you have absolutely nothing to lose. And also they were outnumbered in the West Indies. In North America, it's really a mind game, the mental manipulation that slavery in America. It really is very fascinating and I like to see that more explicitly explored on film, because you can even see the mental mind games today, for example, when people as we're good to you, aren't we mind games?
Speaker 1: Mind game, master manipulator?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Do you think that these kind of explorations would be more suited to other mediums versus films because we got we get films mostly, But what do you think about maybe maybe TV being more suited to it, or podcast or what other kinds of mediums?
Speaker 3: Again? I think yes, podcasts, especially when it is really directed by specific people who have the mental fortitude to say fuck you to money, to people who want to change the narrative it is. I assure you, it's really hard to say no to a lot of zero's. It was very hard. But I think it takes someone who is someone who has no self resonation or someone who's just singularly focused on telling these stories.
Speaker 1: So you're saying there's some hope, I think so, I'm just putting some stuff out into the universe.
Speaker 3: I really hope that people will want to tell our stories. I am not ashamed of being a descendant of enslaved persons. These are some of the strongest people I have ever met, because I've met them through their narratives, through the things that they've left, and I just can't help but want to introduce the world to them. Also, the majority of black folks in this country before the mid nineteenth century were enslaved, and is so frustrating when people say, why don't you tell this free person's story or this one in a million persons story instead of slight stories about slavery. And I can't help but be pissed off and annoyed that people are dismissing the majority of my ancestors because it makes them feel uncomfortable. And people are just lazy in their storytelling. Tell our stories correctly and tell them fully, That's all I ask. If they can tell the Joker as a full human being, they can tell hercules story.
Speaker 2: So now it's time for role credits, the segment where we give credit to a person, place, or thing that we encountered during the week. And we have our guests Shamey joining us. But first, Eves, who are what would you like to give credit to?
Speaker 1: Today? I want to give credit to tab managers. I know that seems very petty, but I often have a lot of tabs open, so I shouldn't because they create a lot of clutter in my brain space. But that's how I got to operate sometimes. So TAP managers have been helpful to me so particularly this week, and that's what I want to give credit to today.
Speaker 2: How about you, Cheney.
Speaker 3: I want to give credit to Jerome Outlar. He's my business partner and he's just a positive for us that is always keeping me on track. Also when I possibly want to strangle people, he has saved a few lives. I have not tried to murder anyone.
Speaker 1: I mean, by the way you describe some of the situations you're in because of your work, it seems like it could test a lot of things. So it's understandable.
Speaker 3: Jerome got my back.
Speaker 2: Got out to Jerome.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Jerome. What about you, Katie.
Speaker 2: I'd like to give credit to librarians. I spent a lot of time in libraries, and when you find a good librarian, like you can know a library back and forth, but sometimes you just have a question that you can't figure out unless you're the librarian. And it's so funny, like you'll take so long trying to figure it out and then you just ask library and they're like, oh yeah, here's the answer, and you're like, wow, I love you. So I had that I had that happened to me this week, and so I want to give credit to librarians. So where can folks find you online?
Speaker 3: Not Your Mama's History and Mama spelled m m as. You can find me on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook. I'm constantly doing things around the country, so you can also find me on that Your Mama's History dot com. So to kind of figure out where I'll be in the upcoming weeks months.
Speaker 2: Yere perfect. Thank you so much for joining us, Thank you, Thank You.
Speaker 1: On Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media. This episode was written by Eves Jeffco and Katie Mitchell. It was edited and produced by Tari Harrison. Follow us on Instagram at on Themeshow. You can also send us an email at hello at on Theme dot Show. Head to on Theme dot Show to check out the show notes for episodes. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,