Speaker 1: On this episode of This League, we talk about my new self defense toy, so one part Flashlight, one part's done Gun, the All Star quote unquote weekend in Atlanta, including the drama between Troel Embiid and mister balloon Hands aka Ben Simmons, and I, of course, as per usual, take a victory lap regarding my very very early scoop about Blake Griffin. They said we wouldn't do it. They said we couldn't do it. The haters are devastated. They dared us. They said, I defy you to do an episode about just the All Star weekend and only the All Star weekend. You can't do it. There's not enough information. I challenge you. And they were wrong. That was the haters in my comments. They were like, you're not watching Megan Markle and Oprah. There are more important things going on than the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: No there's not.
Speaker 1: When you have an NBA podcast, No there's not. This was the deal. This is the first annual all NBA All Star episode of this league, and I feel like Rocky going up the steps. Marty. The Philly fans will love me as Rocky. You know I'm up the Stepski. This is not smarty, take it over, Philly.
Speaker 2: Don't be a like, clear it up.
Speaker 1: And like all good all Star weekends. We had Adrian Borganowski hit us with the fucking nuclear WOJE bomb dropping. Can you tell I was delirious last night?
Speaker 2: What was the news?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Blake Griffin to the Brooklyn nets, Say it.
Speaker 1: Again, Say it with some verves, Say it with some dramatic, slow and deep like I like it, Marty, it was Blake Griffins. That's right, Scoop City, Trista Creek, NBA insider, coming for the others, coming for the sham Sharonya is coming for the ward Zanowskis. Yes, I am my sources. They told me my sources were wrong, and now all of a sudden, it's like there were no other places to go but Brooklyn lies lies. The haters just want to discredit me. My sources are solid as a rock. I don't have many. I don't have many sources. I'm not plugged in like they are. But when I have them, God damn Tillman for Titda Harden was gonna be a sixer Scoop City, population one t Crick. I tell you what I was right. I love to be right, and yet for some reason, it doesn't matter how right I am. Everybody has to discredit it. So anyway, here we go. We're gonna talk about the All Star game. Marty. Did you enjoy All Star Weekend?
Speaker 2: I actually did, as unquote weekend as much as I thought, as much as I like wasn't thinking about it all day, I actually really enjoyed watching it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought it was better than I was expecting it to be. Why because it was all on one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think we should ever go back to the quote unquote weekend. Players don't want it. I don't know that fans want it.
Speaker 2: I'm actually okay with that, yeah, because I usually just watch All Star Saturday and then kind of like snooze through the game, not really caring that much. But it actually was kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Imagine like two PM, Rising Stars, a little quick break, maybe some documentary action, some some fluff piece. By the way, by the way, ESPN did a Rudy go Bear. We'll call it like, we'll call it like a PR stunt called inside the Big Man or Inside the Center, all about like how Rudy Gobert didn't mean to make fun of COVID.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was like a SOB story on him.
Speaker 1: It was like, you know, everyone thought Rudy was just joking around and being Rudy, and it's like his brothers on it and some random Utah Jazz reporters on it. This is what they played before All Star weekend, was like, let's find a way to make Rudy Gobert more likable.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: First thing I want to talk about, of course, is the news that came down pre All Star Ben Simmons, mister balloon Hands, and Joel Embiid, who turned his Twitter into troll.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Embiid, which is amazing, could not make the All Star Game could not play in the All Star Game because they had a close contact with a barber YEP who tested positive for COVID. Right, everyone is saying, we don't want to play in this All Star game. This is dumb. We're in a pandemic, We're not trying to get COVID. And you got mister blue hands out here being like I'm about to be on national TV in front of a hundred million people, Yo, Joel, what up? Yo? Let's go get a lineup.
Speaker 2: Let's get a lineup.
Speaker 1: And you know tk's coming through guillotining fools for that. Come on, everybody's like, oh, I mean that's not such a bad stick. Stick stick, that's me accountability partner time. You cannot go with Joel Mbat if you're gonna go get your haircut. First of all, let me say this, these guys make millions of dollars. They don't have a personal barber that can come over to them. I would you don't have someone who tests negative regularly? Can't you get the little swap swapswap PICR quick rapid test then get lined up? No, you have to go to like a random corner barber. I don't know the d details, but I know it's not on the up and up. So irresponsible. The Chiefs almost missed twenty guys out of the super Bowl because of this exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh it wait, same guy or just.
Speaker 1: The same situation that would have been Yeah, this is just like the COVID. This is the COVID barber. Well, I mean, what are we doing? Ben Simmons, Like, you had to know this was a bad idea. You had to know. You guys couldn't have gone to separate barbers, Like, couldn't Damian Lillard said it best when he's like, I haven't had a haircut in a while, I haven't gotten a barber gone to a barber shop in forever. And in fact, I'm gonna leave home right after this All Star game. I'm not sticking around. I don't want to mess around with getting COVID. I've got a couple of babies at home, and instead what you have is Joel Embi who apparently also has a baby at home. I tweeted about this because remember Joel and b we talked about this last episode. He was like feeling good headed into All Star break and underneath the tweet was his video of him getting Donovan Mitchell ejected, getting him teed up, trolling him. Troel MBIID, right right, how you feeling now, Joel EMBIID? How are you feeling now? You and Ben Simmons missing the next three games because you guys are fucking idiots? And instead of what happened right, instead of me being the voice of reason and accountability, telling the truth on Twitter and also poking a little fun, everybody's like these you're joking about an infectious disease. How dare you? This man has a baby at home? How dare if you have a baby at home? I didn't tell you to go get a haircut? Did I? Did? I? I mean, yet, did I tell them to go and risk their their lives, to risk their health, to risk the health and safety of the entire league because all of the superstars are gonna be in one place and they decided that that was when they needed to get a haircut. Did me, Tristan Craik, tell them to do that?
Speaker 2: Marty? You did not. You did not tell them.
Speaker 1: I did not. But what I did was how you're feeling now? Headed out All Star break? You're gonna miss the next three games. You'll probably drop all three because your two stars had to get a fresh lineup. Wow. Lebron James said it best. He said, I'm not a COVID ghostbuster. I just am really careful. Yeah, were these I don't understand. I don't understand. And of course, another little news story, the NBA had to send out roughly two hundred cease and desist letters to promoters in Atlanta for using the NBA logo to promote in person parties during All Star are a weekend.
Speaker 2: That sounds so right.
Speaker 1: You knew that was gonna happen. But if you're gonna do it, if you're gonna be in a club promoter in Atlanta promoting exactly what the NBA has told you not to do, maybe don't use their logo, Maybe just say.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, if you don't not really doing your job, you don't think so. I mean, I just know how these people operate. It doesn't surprise me, I guess.
Speaker 1: Is my point all of this to say, Philly fans, don't come at me. Don't come at me for your two stars being idiots. Why is me? Why is it my fault that your two marquee players can't get their shit together before an All Star game? It's not here we are though. An All Star game that nobody wanted now probably gonna cost teams games. I mean, the Sixers might even lose out on the number one spot in the East because of this little Shenanigan. And you know what I would have to say, is you hate to see that. You hate to see that. It would be such a shame if the Brooklyn Nets had the number one seed and the Sixers had the number two seed because of a haircut. That would be a very expensive haircut.
Speaker 2: If it was like two games or so different and they.
Speaker 1: Had to catch someone like the Miami Heat coming back from a finals appearance, Jimmy Butler finally healthy, it would be a shame if that's what got them bounced out of the first round. A haircut, and you know, I will be coming all along the way laughing my ass off about that fade that cost you potentially a title. But that's okay, one costly haircut. By the way, that tweet that I put out over two hundred and fifty quote tweets, over two hundred and seventy five comments and fifty likes, so esh, God, how do you get I call them? Oh, so I have a name for them, these new Ben Simmons fans, the crazy ones. I call them the Balloonatics. Okay, the Balloonatics. The Ballunatics came from my head. So yeah, I'm not making fun of people with COVID. I am making fun of the people who do not seem to understand how serious COVID is. And yeah, it's ballooney tunes. It's just the whole thing is just ballooney tunes. Anyway, let's move on to the actual festivities. Marty, what were your takeaways?
Speaker 2: Uh love the game. It was actually the first time I watched the actual game, I think in a while, and it was actually really fine. I mean, Steph put on a show, Jannis you know, didn't miss Dane put on a show. Skills competition was a snooze fest. None of them cared.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're gonna if I want to see Demona Sibonis walk the ball up, I mean I would watch the twenty nineteen Nate McMillan coach fucking.
Speaker 2: I feel like the used to be more shit involved in that other than this was like you dribble through like four things. You're just going through a pass, make a layup, and then make it three.
Speaker 1: I thought there was like a bounce pass.
Speaker 2: There definitely used to be a bounce pass.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is getting sad. This is what kind of skills are these?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I already thought it was kind of stupid, and now it's just like full on.
Speaker 1: And at one point it used to have to be a dunk and now you can just hit a layup. Chris Paul missing the layup was really sad, Like that was like, ooh washed you wash? Yeah, And I like Demanasabonis. Here's a little side road. People were talking about Demonis and I like him, but he cannot hold a candle to our Vetas Sibonis, his father in terms of just how good ar Vetas was. Every aspect of our Vita Sibonas is better than Demonta Sibonis.
Speaker 2: I would have liked to see a young, young Arvetas in the league.
Speaker 1: By the time Portland brought ar Vita Sibonis to the team, So people forget like we drafted him and we didn't get him for another decade, right, Yeah, so he had been playing for fourteen years in Lithuania behind the iron curtain. Yeah, before he could even sniff an NBA game. His knees were like disintegrated by that time.
Speaker 2: And his neck was just getting thicker and thicker, thicker.
Speaker 1: He was drinking more and more. Sorry, Harve, he was really I mean, he had big time alcohol issues by that time. I don't know what was going on. We won't even pain probably probably like just replacing opioids instead. Yeah, he also had some anger issues. We won't get into that. I mean, I think with Demantsis' mom, not gonna get into it, not gonna get into it. Athleticism was just out the window. But shoot still shooting fifty five percent from the field. They had I forget if it was Clyde Drexler, they asked. They asked Clyde Drexler, like, how good would the Blazers have been if our Vetus a bonus would have came in when he was drafted or early on. And he said, we would have taken like four or five titles from Jordan.
Speaker 2: Ooh, you would have been.
Speaker 1: The top three center, top five center in history. So we all are getting all excited about Deus Simonis. But oh, my god, our Vetus, even when our Vetus was old, we were really really good with him. No answer, They would have had no answer in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it would have taken up all of Rodman's energy. And yeah, that would have been That would have been crazy.
Speaker 1: But it would have been like Luke Longley versus Sibonis. Sabonis was a truck, oh cherruck seven to three, two hundred a million pounds, like not ready, he's not really was like a little Lithuanian shack out there with moves like like the body of shack, a young shack with the moves of Mark Gasol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a bigger head somehow and in.
Speaker 1: A bigger neck and hen and ego probably three point contest. How has Steph Curry only won twice out of seven appearances in the three point contest?
Speaker 2: See this is why I didn't bet on him, because it's usually a young man's game, these competitions. Because I like picking people that you think want to put on a show. That's why I threw Zach Lavine in there. Yeah. Uh, that's really kind of it. And he's in it a lot. It's not like he doesn't participate.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, seven times greatest shooter of all time. I would have thought he would have won every single one. I thought. She said seven four seven, and she said the second of seven, and I was like, pull up the Google machine and I was like.
Speaker 2: Wow, if it was like a five million dollar prize, I feel like he'd have won more.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Also, Devin Booker won that, and I think it shows that this is this is a set shooters game too. Like Steph cur is very very good off the balance and he said he gets nervous with the rack because he's like the balls right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 1: I mean, Steph is a cyborg. Though it showed it almost looked like, uh, he missed some on purpose to create drama in the final round. Yeah, so that he would be down by one and could hit that three and win the whole thing on the last fucking ball.
Speaker 2: I mean when he gets like three in a row, like going in a rhythm, you just it just doesn't feel like he's ever gonna miss effortless.
Speaker 1: Ever, that first round, it was just like, oh, well he missed any I don't know. Uh, let's talk about the actual game itself. Oh wait, dunk contest. Let's talk about dunk contests. Three people, Jokeville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was lamb, although I guess they needed three, probably for time because it still went a little long. I still can't believe Simons won on a failed attempt?
Speaker 1: Can we? Okay, is it a failed attempt? Why? Why do you say it's failed?
Speaker 2: He made the dunk, Yeah, but the whole gimmick behind what he was trying to do, he didn't pull.
Speaker 1: Off the ball went into the hoop, did it not.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it shouldn't have counted and shouldn't have been.
Speaker 1: So you what you're saying is what you wanted to not have.
Speaker 2: Been scored higher than the guy who did what he was trying to do.
Speaker 1: So what I'm asking you is this, if Simons completed the dunk and and basically destroyed his entire her mouth, all of his teeth fell out, and the ball did not go in the hoop, but he kissed the rim, that's a that's not a failed attempt.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, you still need to make the dunk. And like, look, if I understand, I understand if you go like teeth first into the rim, that's probably not going to end well for you. Then maybe come up with a different gimmick one that you can.
Speaker 1: Obie top and missed her his first dunk in the second round.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: So they both had failed attempts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Obi that didn't his failed attempt didn't count.
Speaker 1: But it still goes against you when you missed the first one. Yeah, he's he basically wanted to show that he could if he wanted to go up and his he was eye level or lip level with the rim.
Speaker 2: He didn't even really get that close though, be.
Speaker 1: Was pretty close. You can't be a hater about this.
Speaker 2: It fell flat. Live admit that, I like you saw I mean, when we saw the replay, was like, wow, that was that's insane how high that got can jump? But live it kind of fell a little flat.
Speaker 1: A little bit. I think some dunks look better live than they look when you do, like, for example, Casha Stanley's dunk.
Speaker 2: Oh, the first one looked good.
Speaker 1: Live, and then you see it same thing actually with Anfonty Simon's when Anfrety Simons put on the Tracy McGrady jersey, right, so he does the famous iconic Tracy McGrady dunk, and then they show the McGrady dunk next to the Simon's dunk, and you're like, don't that was a little clunky for my taste, looks better live. Some dunks, like Zach Lavine's dunks when he has gone in prior dunk contest, When you show that in slow mo, you're like, how did he? How did he do all of those things in one second?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stanley's first dunk getting scored forty four. That was the most ridiculous thing of the whole contest. That was a hard dunk. He went between the leg that he like took off on.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but that's like a very dot I think you miss with creativity being lacking there, Like that's a very common dunk, Like you can't do that and expect like I would prefer the Kobe. Lebron replicated, like try to do that dunk. If you're gonna do a dunk, it's quote unquote iconic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I just think when you when you go through the leg that you like elevated off of that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that's sick. But whatever, whatever actual game highlights. So let's just recap and say Lebron's team won. This is a four straight year Lebron's team has won, which means, dude is gonna be a sick talent of value and like GM when he leaves the league, like that man can pull together a squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not really and I'm not really quick to give him those ones where he was drafting against Giannis because Jannis had to take Chris Middleton as early as.
Speaker 1: That's true, same thing obviously, but with Durant, but Durant had hardened and Kyrie to chie like they're fine, they're okay. But I like Lebron's his technique. He just wants bucket. I just want guys that can shoot from everywhere. Yeah, uh, Yannis winning the MVP. Let's talk about it. Yeah, I think that was robbery. I I this is not an efficiency contest. Sixteen for sixteen, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I mean it should have been Steph. I mean Steph owned the game absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think for the I think for the MVP of the All Star Game, it has to be people who show out that control the storyline of the game, that they're doing incredible things where you're tweeting about it, you're talking to your friends about it. Like, there was nothing that Yannis did that was remarkable except for Wow, his three point shot is so off that it went in. Yeah, it was so far away from the rim that he has to go Bank City.
Speaker 2: It had like a bad spin too, It was like spinning like toward the basket.
Speaker 1: He just was on one that night, like it's when the basketball got in your favor and you just can't miss. That was Giannis, but Steph was Steph was like stealing the ball. He was doing the threes and then turning three hundred and sixty degrees. Look it over, doing the shimmy hitting from half court. It should have been Steph's especially. I think also, if you win another contest three point dunk and you're in the All Star Game. I think you got a little extra verve. Like if you win the three point contest and then you show out in the actual game, I think it's like my brain says Steph, Steph, Steph dominant, dominant. No, I mean I just thought it was jokevil I thought Dame taking the last shot and hitting the game winner from half court, that's that's Dame time.
Speaker 2: That was awesome. Started waving like before he even shot it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: He's like, bye bye.
Speaker 1: The best part to me was Lebron tweeting after the game and he was like, I kept telling Steph and Damed to go back further and further and further. He's just egging him on, like he chose him just so he could be like, can you shoot it from half court and make it? How about behind the half court?
Speaker 2: Make it?
Speaker 1: Like these dudes, I mean, how easy they make that is just nuts, especially given that they're two small guys. They don't have a ton of power. Also, Dame hitting from half court got our man PG. Thirteen to apologize. He said, in hindsight, Damian Lillard's shot in my eyeball to win that series. I said it was a bad shot. I think it wasn't a bad shot anymore. I won't say that anymore.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, he hits those regularly. He practices those. Paul George, Like that was not just a fluke where he's like dribbling methodically for six seven seconds so he can do a quick jab step in your eyeball. That wasn't a bad shot. That was actually so I'm glad that he. I give Paul George a little respect for repenting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too. Yeah, what else?
Speaker 1: What else? Dame hits thirty has thirty two off the bench. Yeah, could have said he might have been an MVP as well. Hits the game winner.
Speaker 2: He came on second half, which I mean, you start forming opinions after the first half, and they it never felt like Dame was actually gonna get it.
Speaker 1: You know, here's how yeah exactly. Yeah, but I thought that with Giannis, like it didn't feel like Giannis was really doing anything, and then they handed him the trophy.
Speaker 2: You just look at numbers. I kind of said it. I was like, I guess this is kind of a toss up between Steph and Giannis, but Eileen Steph clearly, and you.
Speaker 1: Were like, it's like when the boxer when you watch a boxing match and one boxer is is like, yeah, he's competing, but they're like little tiny jabs and like he's getting a lot of jazz. But then the other boxer's hitting some real heavy like hooks and undercuts and blah blah blah and almost making them fall. And then they give it to the little guy, like the little jab guy, and you're like, really, yeah, I get that. Really we're going off of points here, like this is it. I think when you give the MVP to someone who was efficient, it de incentivizes or disincentivizes players to do the things that you want to see in an All Star game. Would you show out because you're not gonna go sixteen for sixteen if you're shooting from half court? I'm sorry, you just won't. Definitely, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh and side note, I didn't see any tweets like oh, they don't play defense in the All Star Game. This sucks. That's the dumbest take ever.
Speaker 1: I love the elam ending. It's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Oh me too, me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want one tweak. I want the first three quarters to be like what they are exactly the same, start fresh, right, But I want the fourth quarter to start fresh too, Like I want the fourth quarter first to thirty five. I don't want it's like add twenty six to the highest score and then that's the score. The a have to have the win. Like I guess that maybe defeats the quote unquote elam ending element of it, but I just think it puts you at a severe advantage to compete. Like at that point, Kevin Durant's team is not gonna win, and so they're really not gonna defend nearly as much like they're not gonna really do anything nearly. Isn't the games over at that point? Gambler's dream though for the over you know it's gonna hit by the third quarter because he has to right right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jokic was funny, Nikola Jokic said on Jannis getting handing him the MVP trophy. They snubbed me for the second year in a row. I don't know what's happening. We won the game because of me, Nikola Jokic, by the way, six points in that game. Oh that's what I was gonna say, Is you know how you know that Damian Lillard should have been a starter. He was playing the fourth, like the final minutes of the fourth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know who.
Speaker 1: Wasn't playing in the final moments of the fourth Luka Doncic. That was a that was just a robbery.
Speaker 2: And I didn't even notice him in the game, really, Luca.
Speaker 1: I took So here's a little tidbit of info about me being a bad All Star Game gambler. I took Beale and Luca MVPDs plus thirty three hundred.
Speaker 2: I had Beel and Zion.
Speaker 1: Beal led Kevin Durant's team in points, Team Durant in points, and it just was never gonna be enough. He just didn't look good.
Speaker 2: I just liked the value to it, and I was like, he's someone that can come out and hit a bunch of threes and win the game. And then you look at it and he has forty five points, and it's like, oh, I guess we'll give it to Bill. That was my rationale.
Speaker 1: That's how I felt about it too. It was like, maybe he'ld just go out and score forty because he's a wizard and he has fresh legs and ye something.
Speaker 2: Right, People that want to put on a show. This is his super Bowl.
Speaker 1: That was my ra That's what my rationale was too, And also a lot of Lucaslander. Luca hasn't been playing well, blah blah blah. Maybe he'll go out and show out and do some step backs. And I was just hoping for moments. You're kind of banking on moments. Steph would have been a great bet. In hindsight, I should have bet Steph. Yeah, I mean not in hindsight because I wouldn't have won, but it was a better bet. It was better.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know what the value. It was probably like five or six to one, so that.
Speaker 1: I think it was plus six hundred for Steph, and I think it was I think it was plus six hundred per Dame too. I don't know what it was for honest. Do you remember I'm a young Stunnah. What a great song for this New York City, Marty. I don't know if I told you. Did I tell you about the time that I was walking my dog to get coffee on a Sunday morning. Someone came up to me, I'm walking Emma, little Emma.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It's like ten am on a Sunday, and I got my coffee in hand, I got my earphones in. This is not long ago, this is maybe two months ago. Someone comes out of the woodworks. Listen here, bitch, I will beat the shit out of you. I could knock you the fuck out right now. Blah blah blah blah blah, you and your little black dog, I'll knock you the fuck out. And I just stood there like I had no recourse. What do you do at that point?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: New York City is scary. It's scary at night, it's scary during the day. You just never know when some random guy is gonna tell you that they've would knock you out if they wanted to. So after that happened, I immediately looked into a bunch of options. I was like, what am I gonna do? Am I gonna get a knife?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Probably not, like you gotta get real close to someone, who's it costing you if you have a knife? Am I gonna get pepper spray? I don't know if you know this about me, Marty, but I am clumsy. I would probably end up spraying the shit out of myself, or like getting a little bit of the remnants on my fingers and then grabbing my eye and then on my eye is watering during the podcast and blah blah blah, Am I gonna get a gun? I mean, no way would I ever be what am? I'm not gonna carry a gun. I don't want that, especially in New York City. Somebody could pull it, like take it from me and just dead dead on the street on twenty fifth just because of my Quartato. I really just want the Quartado on a Sunday morning. So what I ended up doing is I found this thing. I stumbled on it. It's the best of both worlds. One part flashlight, one part stun gun. It's called the Taser Strike Light. It's rechargeable, it's high powered. It's a flashlight that not only can thwart random attackers near Penn Station, and then I also have this flashlight when I'm at night walking my dog. So it's great. It's like very small. I can put a little strap around my wrist and go. It's super affordable. The Taser Strike Light is available without a permit in most US states. If you want to walk your dog with peace of mind, get the Taser Strike Light at Taser dot com with promo League you can also say fifteen percent now at Taser dot com Promo code League spelled TA s e R dot com. Sort of old news, but it's relevant to the last episode. Remember last week we talked about how everybody hates Utah everyone uh huh. Fans don't like Utah and the NBA doesn't want to see the Jazz win. Even Rudy Gobert talked about it, like, no one likes us, they're trying to steal games from us. We're a small market, YadA YadA, YadA. Spider knows it. They even got fine for saying it. Now it appears that Lebron James has put an exclamation point on that fact that, yes, Rudy Gobert, you are right, no one likes you and no one likes the Utah Jazz. That's just true. Let's just hear what Lebron James had to say when he was voting with Kevin Durant and he kept the Utah Jazz. They kept them last they were voting on All Star picks. Two last ones taken, even though they're the first in the West.
Speaker 3: Rudy Gobert goes to Team Lebron. What we get, I just I just want to say something because there's no slander, James. But you guys got to understand. You guys gotta understand. Just like in video games growing up, we never played with Utah even alone.
Speaker 1: Let's translate this. Anytime someone says something like no disrespect or you know, this isn't slander, slander's coming, that's every time. Every time Lebron James, they take Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert absolutely last, and he's like, this is no slander, No it is. It is no one growing up ever like Utah never slander is literally the next thing coming out of your mouth, and just so happened to be Utah's ladder. The funniest thing, though, was Katie. You can see him in the video. KD is rolling laughing because Katie wants to say the exact same thing, but Lebron's the only one that can say it in a way that seems like sort of playful and funny get away with it. Like if said that, it'd be like, can you believe KD? What a dickhead?
Speaker 2: This is my favorite thing Lebron's ever done, by the way, is it?
Speaker 1: I think Lebron James will say some very funny things here and there. If you like really watch for him, he can be hilarious. I met him, so I had a couple of videos that I did that were not super kind to Lebron James right, like I think I did when like Kobe was better than Lebron, and like you know, ones that were like opinions. So I met Lebron. A friend of mine introduced us because he's friendly with Lebron. This was at the NBA Summer League and Lebron like, hey, I'm like, hey, I'm Trista. I work for USA today. Blah blah blah. He shakes my hand and he's like I know who you are. And then he sits there and he and he like and on my hands out and he hasn't like dapped me up yet, and there's like a there's like a freeze, like the blood is draining from my face, and I'm thinking, like, what have I said? What have I said? He's he's seen everything, he knows everything, and I know exactly who you are. And then he just starts to laugh and he like finally DAPs me up, and I'm like, what a clown, dude. He's a very funny dude, I like that move. It was just like a maybe you should think before you say.
Speaker 2: Anything, but I'm gonna make you feel a little uncomfortable exactly.
Speaker 1: You've said things that I don't like. Has anyone ever chosen the Utah Jazz when they've played two K I mean, I don't think so right when they're twelve years old? No, I love I love this Lebron James slander. It confirmed exactly what Nate Robinson told me when I interviewed him this summer. Play the club. We're arena to be a road team in Utah. I knew its.
Speaker 3: Small in there, like you can't move in there, Like it's really really small.
Speaker 1: Trash trash Utah. Anytime anybody slanders Utah, Nate rab Vinson's voice is in my head trash trash Utaha. He hates the people that are in that arena, hates the arena itself. And the fact that both Utah Jazz players were the last players picked didn't surprise me. But the funniest thing is, like you choose a guy Domontes Sabonis. It was like Lebron James is like, yeah, I need a big man. I need a big man. It's like Rudy Gobert sitting there, Demantes Sabonis from the Indiana Pacers. The Pacers are a better team than the fucking Utah Jazz. That's where we're at. Let's do something though different. I want to do something different. Let's draft our own all star teams.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, do you want to do that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm gonna be Lebron. I think this is fun. I'll be Lebron. I'm gonna get the first pick, and you'll be KD and you get two picks at the end because you're not playing because you're broken. Okay, let's see if the Utah disrespect continues, especially since Conley replace your boy book.
Speaker 2: All right, Oh, we're doing Okay, we're.
Speaker 1: Taking We're gonna I guess we'll take it, knowing what we know, right, knowing what we know and we don't know. What we don't know is the close contact with the haircut. Okay, we have to do it, assuming they're gonna play, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: With the first round team, Lebron chooses Joel embiid.
Speaker 2: Oof, I'm gonna go Curry. I got stuff.
Speaker 1: Damn Ah, what a great pick. Shit you took my.
Speaker 2: Guy, I mean after last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, the thing is we should have done this before. I'm gonna choose Kyrie Irving.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna take the MVP and go Giannis Nice.
Speaker 1: I like that, all right. And then I'm gonna take Jason Tatum, give me Luca all right, and I'm gonna take Shoot, I'm gonna take Beal, and so you get and Kawhi. So the team is as follows for the first round. The starters, I have embiid Kyrie.
Speaker 2: I am loving my squad.
Speaker 1: I mean it's okay. I have m B Kyrie, Jason Tatum, Beal, and me Lebron James first. The first time I could say that was the straight pace. And you have Yannis.
Speaker 2: I have Yannis Steph Luka. And that's a squad.
Speaker 1: That's a squad. All right. We got second round, second round, you go first, lead off, Okay, do it to him, don't do it to her, don't do it to her.
Speaker 2: I'll let you have it.
Speaker 1: I'll go James, thank you, thank you. With the second first pick in the second round, I take Damian Lillard.
Speaker 2: Okay, and now we're thinking just all Star game here, I'll go I'll go PG. He's won an MVP.
Speaker 1: Before one PG. You got PG. I'm gonna choose Zach Levine.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that. I think I'm gonna go Zion here. I think I got a lot of people that can throw them lobs. I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that. I'm gonna choose. This is where it gets hard. I'm gonna choose Chris Paul.
Speaker 2: Oh damn, I'm so big.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah you are.
Speaker 2: Let's keep it, Let's keep it going. Give me Simmons.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: All right, just a bunch of guys who can't score except for Curry.
Speaker 2: I mean, James Harden and James.
Speaker 1: Curry and Harden are gonna be the only ones. All right, we got I'm gonna go Jalen Brown. I mean, this just shows kind of what we're into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So who's on the board. I've got Sabonis.
Speaker 1: Vouch, Rudy Spider, Julius Randall.
Speaker 2: I can't believe I'm the one that's about to do this, but I guess you gotta give me Donovan Mitchell here, only because I need guards.
Speaker 1: You do need guards. I am gonna choose Vucevic Voch.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now I'm Sabonis, Randall or Conley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have Rudy Sabonis and Randall left and Booker Conley. Uh, he takes Sabonis, all right, I am going to take Mike Conley, the lefty.
Speaker 2: So now it's Randall or Rudy.
Speaker 1: Now it's Randall or Rudy. Okay, give me Randall, and I have this fucking dude. I have to have. So basically it happens again. Right, We've got for me. I've got Mbed Kyrie, Jason Tatum, Bradley Beal, Lebron James, Damian Lillard, Zach Lavine, Chris Paul, Jalen Brown, Vusovich, Mike Conley, and Rudy Gobert. What a squad, bunch of bucket getters. And you have Jannis Jokic, Steph Kawhi Curry, Harden, PG, Zion Simmons, Spider Sabonis and Randallah. I mean, you have to say my squad's much better.
Speaker 2: I disagree.
Speaker 1: Actually, I just don't think you're gonna be able to keep up with all their shooting.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got Harden, Luca, Steph, Luca is a.
Speaker 1: Is broke city right now. He's gonna score like four points. You're gonna have to just rely on Steph to do everything. It's gonna be Steph and Stephan. Yeah, I mean, Giannis will go sixteen for sixteen. We know that Jannis is gonna get high off the backboard, but I'm gonna have mb'd give Yanni's fits. I'm gonna have it.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's howay it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yannis give him Janna's fits. But also we see it, we see that it's true. No one, not me and you, not the world, not Lebron James, nobody wants Rudy Gobert on their team.
Speaker 2: I mean, I defend Rudy Gobert being the last pick. I mean, he's by far the least fit to play in an All Star Game.
Speaker 1: I think this. I think what we need to do is evaluate whether centers have any value in the All Star Game. No one wants big men, who especially are rim protectors, can't score and do anything besides grab lobs. And he's not a big dunker like Zion. Zion at least could go up and do some things. By the way, Zion a couple of big time flub dunks.
Speaker 2: It was killed kill.
Speaker 1: Everybody was thinking he might win the m VP, So he had a tough go in the first round and the first time in his All Star appearance, which I think he will end up being able to redeem himself in future years, but it was a rough, rough go. So yeah, I think no more centers in the All Star Game. I think it's positionless. I think it's just we go out and we just choose all stars based around how fucking good they are in an All Star game, not how good they are. And like, as an All NBA player, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, I do, and like I mean, I so who would that eliminate from here? That elm Randall and Randall's doing so much other stuff though I think it would.
Speaker 1: Still probably he would still be in it, but it would be Sabonis vouch Like, for example, a d would still make an All Star game, like AD's good enough even without if you're basically saying, you have what are they called wild cards, so like it could be anything. You could basically choose all wild cards for your All Star then you know who the real ballers are, the real bucket getters are, and Vucevic is not one of them. No, no, no chance, No sabonus as much.
Speaker 2: As I like watching him, it's the Yeah, he's just he's not an All Star needle mover.
Speaker 1: So Spider did address Lebron's comments during All Star weekend and he said, I really don't want to be rude, but I don't care. People have been shit talking me for a while. We're not doing this meaning playing basketball to seek the approval of him, meaning Lebron James. Spider's odds for the MVP were threety three hundred eight thousand for Gobert Conley. This is where the district respect was the biggest. Conley didn't even have odds, there was no odds. Vegas was like, there is no scenario possible where this guy who snuck in last second for Devin Booker will ever win the MVP. So we're not even going to create these odds for him. So thank you Lebron James for saying what we all know, saying the truth, speaking truth to power, like his name was Megan Markle. That the truth is for a variety of reasons that no one is rooting for Utah, not hardcore fans, not NBA players, not hardcore NBA fans, and actually just most people root against them just to root against them. So, like James Harden said, this All Star Game is kind of just a forced and thrown thing upon us, and we sort of forced and threw our podcast upon you as well in the middle of your All Star break. So I hope you enjoy it. That's all the time that we have for this League All Star Podcast. Please subscribe, Please rate and review you on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. I'm getting DMS people being like hey, multiple times a week. I subscribe and unsubscribe for you. So be one of those people that can DM meet or Marty. Give us a little shout out, give us a little love, makes a huge difference. We also have this League hoodies on sale in the barstools score. Please also follow this League on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, follow me, Trista Underscore Crik and Trista Crik on all those same platforms. Follow Playboy Marty. Like a little Magnolia song in the what is It In New York we Millie Rode, so follow him. Thank you for listening.