Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, God guy, welcome back, Eyl. This is a state of emergency. Addition, you know, we're talking going back and forth for the last couple of days, and we got a lot a lot of dope fire episodes and the fault that teach people a variety of different tactics, how to get their bread right, how to how to you know, become entrepreneurs and navigate the field. That's what EYL is here for. But we're also a business podcast on a broader scale. We've touched on almost every single topic. So, you know, having a conversation with Troy a couple of days ago, in the midst of everything that's going on in this world in our country, I'm like, you know, I don't think we should actually, you know, put these episodes out. Maybe we should just do like a state of emergency last minute, you know what I'm saying, addressing topics.
Speaker 3: We would have been remiss if we didn't address what's going on in our community and what's going on in the world. Really, so when you call me, we had the same thought. You just like, Yo, it wouldn't sit right with me if we didn't address it, if we didn't take some time to really dive deep into this so that we can make everybody away, which is what we're known for. So we was on the same page and hopefully, you know, we're gonna shed the light on some things today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're gonna We're gonna tell you we was kind of going back and forth because we're still a business podcast and that's all. And I feel like everybody has their their their lane and their way to contribute to society, and you know, our platform is to provide business information, which is extremely valuable, but like, how do we tie it in with the social justice So I think we did a great job of actually tying it two in and talking about it from business standpoint.
Speaker 3: He was adamant about it. I said, YEA, let's just go no holds ball, let's go no hose ball, let's just speak our mind. Let's let's just tell the people how we feel. And he was like, no, we can keep it business. I'm like, all right, man, fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted. I think it's important because there's always a money played behind it, and it's like not just to inform people, but to actually let people know how they can make a change and how they can actually invest in and make some money and do it in the right way and different things of that nature.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad we did because it was, like like I said all the time, like we learned through the process. So there's things that I uncovered that I had no idea about. So now we're gonna do what we do best and put it in the language to help everybody else understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So this this is gonna be a special special episode. We're gonna go over a variety of different topics and like I said, it's going to inform you. It's also going to educate you, and hopefully people can use this to bring about real change, not just to listen to it and just be educated, but to actually enforce new policy, enforce change, and this hopefully can lead to some solutions. So before we start, I just wanted to take a moment in silence for Big George Floyd, Eric Gardner. I'm gonna do Diallo, Freddie Gray, Sean Bell, Orlando Castillo, Treyvon Martin, Sandram Blanz. Too many, it's too many, unfortunately, Yeah, it's too many people for us to name. That's just a few of black people that have been killed by the police and uh, the last you know, decade or so. So yeah, I just want to take a moment in silence for that, all right. So, so yeah, we're gonna we're gonna get right into it. You know, obviously, the times that we're in right now, As I said, rest in peace to George Floyd. If you saw that, there's no justification for what happened with that. You know, it's one of these one of the few cases where I've seen where there's not even one person trying to justify every There's always like, well, what did he do? He was resisting, there's always more just I haven't heard one person that's actually said like, this is justified. I haven't heard anybody trying to justify it. It's just like trying to justify other things. But I haven't heard anybody trying to justify this. So it's like it brings up a larger issue of police brutality. And police brutality is not something that doesn't exist, Like I don't care, Yeah, it's not We're not gonna act like it doesn't happen. It doesn't exist, and I don't want to hear about. You know, there are good cops. That's not the point. Of course, there's some good cops. Of course, there's some good teachers. Of course there's something like. That's not the point. The point is that there's a systematic problem of not only racism, but police brutality. And the reason why police brutality is an issue is because These are people that take an oath to serve and protect the community. So if you take an oath to serve and protect the community, it's not the same as a gang member killing another gang member. Like, these people don't take oaths, they're not paid, they don't have pensions, so it's not the same. So I don't want to hear that we're talking about police brutality. There's times and places and talking about all other stuff, but right now we're talking about police brutality.
Speaker 3: I spoke on a couple of conversations man and shout out to KRS when he had to line, like, what's the difference between the overseer and the officer? Right, So if we go back to the history of it, like we've seen that the overseer was to watch over the land and if everyone act out of accordance, they were handled at that time. And if we look at it right, you said serve and protect. But the officer, especially in our communities, has become the overseer. So it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So all right, earn Aalsia. We talk about the money plays and this is no different than anything else. I actually learned a lot of stuff doing research on this. That's what I realized too, that we we have become journalists and we take our journalistic responsibility very serious. I was up till four o'clock in the morning yesterday researching and I got excited because I didn't even I'm like, yo, I got excited and learning the information, like I hope I can relate this in a manager. Yeah, so you know, I'm interested to actually, you know, have this conversation. So there's an economic play. There's an economic play behind police brutality. There's a huge, huge economic play. So every year, cities across the United States of America, small and large, they spend millions of dollars in police brutality claims because it's like, this isn't calm, this isn't new, right, Like it happens all the time, right, even if it's not to this extent where somebody gets killed, somebody might get a black eye, somebody might break somebody's ribs. Like, yeah, it's a lot of police but that's an issue too, but specifically police brutality. So police brutality cases, there's millions of police brutality cases all over the country every single year. Most of the time it's settled with some compensation being paid, and that can go from one thousand dollars to one hundred million dollars like anywhere in between. Right, it depends. So now what people don't fully understand, I think is that there's billions, billions of dollars that are paid to victims of police brutality every single.
Speaker 3: Year, all the time. Yeah, there was a settlement for forty million, this person got twenty five million. Nobody thinks about they just hit the number. Nobody thinks about anything else. Where's this coming from? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And to create So Chicago in twenty eighteen, one hundred and thirteen million dollars was paid to police brutality settlements and judgments. One hundred and thirteen million in just the city of Chicago in twenty eighteen one year. That's that's amazing. So it's like, where does this money come from? So this is this is now you start to peel back the layers. Because if it's like it's like a movie, it's like a movie, like you see the Instagram clips and it's like, okay, so now I feel like I'm actually a detective. Right, It's like, now you got pill back the layers.
Speaker 3: It's weird. Because at times like when you hear these sellments. I remember when I'm gonna do the album Dudillo got to sell them and it was like yah, it was forty million dollars or something of that sort, and it was like that felt like a victory. It felt like, all right, well, he's been compensated for the abuse that he suffered. And then when you look at like, wait, where did that money come from? It's like, wait, is this really a big should we be celebrating that?
Speaker 2: That's the crazy thing about it. Nobody ever thought about where the money comes from. So where does the money come from? The money comes from taxpayers, right, So taxpayers. So that's another thing about police officers. Police officers are public servants. Right, we pay when I say we tax paying people of the United States of America pay the salaries and the retireronment of the police department. All of that comes from tax dollars. So now the taxpayers are paying for these payouts. That's the first that's the first part that people need to fully understand.
Speaker 3: It's like even before the payout, right, they have no So you got to understand that part before you even get to the telements. You've had to go through court a court case. Right there, there's no financial responsibility on the side of an officer during the police brutality case. So literally, the taxpayers pay for their trial. So they're paying for the lawyers that, they're paying for the judgments, and they're paying for the settlements. Like there is nothing that they have to do if the actors committed while they're on the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the fact. So now so now the taxpayers pay for it. So it's like all right, so now now we got deal back, peel back even more layers. So now a lot of cities, in towns, they have liability policies. So liability it's like insurance pretty much, right, So it's like, okay, any other insurance policy, you pay a premium. So like let's say you have a ten million dollar liability policy, so your premium for that might be two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, right, So taxpayers are paying the premium because that's where it comes from the budget. So taxpayer is paying two hundred and fifty thousand, and then a liability company is paying the ten million. So it's like okay, if you if you get into a situation and you beat up somebody, a cop. You're a cop, and you beat up somebody, they sue. Now they win. So now a liability company is liable for that to pay that, so they pay it. But ultimately the taxpayers still paid it in some sort because they actually paid the premium for the policy. So but that wouldn't that wouldn't be that bad because it's like, all right, you're only paying it's still bad because it's like you you are committing a crime, you are actually abusing somebody, and where even if it's a dollar or ten percent of what's being paid, we're still paying for a tax payer. But it's like, all right, it's still less. It's not like you're paying the whole thing right now you got to peel back even one more layers. So it's like, all right. What happens is that most of these cities, towns, and especially as more and more police brutality cases start to be reported, they don't have enough liability because you got to think about the liability companies are business as well. They're not just going to try to give away money. Yeah, it's like they cap it. So now it's like there's not enough liability insurance to cover a lot of this, right, So.
Speaker 3: We need more money.
Speaker 2: So now they need more money, additional money in addition to the liability. So where does that come from? So now they have to issue bonds. They have to have bonds, right. So it's like Bethelhem, Pennsylvania, small town in Pennsylvania two thousand and four, they settle the wrongful death lawsuit for a seven point eight nine million, So five hundred thousand came from the insurance, right, seven million, three hundred and nine seven point thirty nine million came from bonds. So the vast majority of it actually came from bonds. Right.
Speaker 3: So bonds in the sensus like, listen, we're gonna pay you back this money over a given amount of time with interests, right, So a lot of times it could be thirty years, sometimes it could be shorter. So we just got to understand that part too. So literally, a municipality is saying, listen, we don't have the money, but we'll get it back to you. They're gonna raise that money from the good people who live in that city. So it's like, listen, the people who live in these areas, and a lot of times it's over policed areas. So when we look at the cities, it's over police areas. When they're over policed, there's gonna be more incidents, there's gonna be more altercations with law officials. So they already know like, all right, well, we're gonna set this budget aside, and if we don't have enough, we're gonna get more from the taxpayers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so what happens, what's going on now is that cities across the United States of America are going into massive debt because of what they're calling it police brutality bonds. That's what they're pretty much dead, police brutality bonds. So that's the crazy thing about the financial industry. They issue bonds for anything. There was bonds for mortgage backed security, for your home's bonds, for anything that you really get creative, you can issue a bond. So now they actually have police brutality bonds. Right. So between two thousand and eight and twenty and seventeen, we did some research, LA seventy four million dollars was paid in police brutality bonds. The insurance the interest on that was eighteen million. To the holders of the bond and taxpayers it cost them eighty nine million. So let me just I just wanted for people to understand that. So, all right, LA didn't have enough to pay police brutality cases.
Speaker 3: So those are the judgments and settlements, right.
Speaker 2: So over and above what they already have in their budget are over and above the liabillion ran.
Speaker 3: That's the scary part too, like we are ready of saying, listen, we have a budget for it. Let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So now they have to go to the financial markets and issue bonds worth seventy one million dollars, right, So they take out bonds for seventy one million dollars to pay this Because if you know what a bond is, it's like it's your somebody's loaning you money. For them loaning you money, you're paying it back over a court of time. But it's with interest. So now the people that loaned them the money, people that loaned them seventy one million dollars, they got paid an interest of eighteen million.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about who they are too, and it's said.
Speaker 2: They So they made money, they made eighteen The people that issued the bonds made eighteen million dollars on the bonds. The taxpayers ended up paying for the whole thing because you have to pay for the bond and the interest. So the taxpayers ended up paying eighty nine million.
Speaker 3: Right, So you got to sell the bond money, which is the seventy one if we're talking about LA and then you talk about the interest pays. So you can buy those two and that's what the bill is for the tax pay yep.
Speaker 2: Milwaukee during that same time, twenty six million in bonds, uh three point seven million dollars in interest. The taxpayers paid twenty nine million. Chicago, Chicago. I don't know what's going on in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Well, Chicago had a lot of high profile cases. One that comes to mind, and we're gonna talk about a duration of time, So from like twy ten to twenty eighteen, we're talking to almost a billion dollars paid. They had the Lakwi McDonald case where the young black kid was shot sixteen times and I believe the office's name was Van Dyk or something like that got sent us to six years. There was a settlement in that case. So you got a couple of cases in Chicago that happened from twenty to ten to twenty seventeen. They had seven hundred and nine million in bonds seven hundred and nine million. The interest paid on those on those bonds was one billion dollars with a B so the taxpayers get the bill for one point seven There's a crazy part. There was this quote. I was like, yo, that is it. I was reading. It was like they said, this is like the equivalent of paying your rent with a credit card. Like it's a temporary solution, but the root of the problem is you don't have enough money to pay your bills. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Think about that, And that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean because if you look at it, like Milwaukee paid three million, three million interest on twenty six million dollars bond, La paid eighteen million on a seventy one million dollars bond, they're small. The interest is smaller than the amount of money that they borrowed. Chicago actually paid more interest than what they So not only are they issuing bonds, they issuing high interests like credit card, like thirty five percent or something like that must be crazy that they paid one billion dollars of interest and they only borrowed seven hundred and nine million, and the tax payers pay for all of that tax paid pay for one point seven billion. So this is something that's so crazy because it's like, you're paying for police brutality. You are, yeah, And this is something, like I said, whether you are black, white, whether you are affluent, whatever, this is something that everybody should be concerned about because from an economic standpoint, why do you want to pay for road cops? Why do you want to pay for that? You're you're not only paying for it, but you're paying for the interest as well. Yeah so all right, so now that's that's the third layer. But here's where it gets really spicy. It's like, all right, so we're talking about bonds and day, so who's day? Right? So it turns out that large banks, investment firms, ball Street investment firms, small regional banks all play a part in issuing these bonds. Some well known companies that have played a part, Wells Fargo, Goldman, Sachs, Bank of America.
Speaker 3: Bank of Montreal.
Speaker 2: So they issue police brutality bonds to town cities, municipalities. The cities pay them over the court sometime to loan them money so they can pay victims, and they actually are making money. So these companies are making money off of police brutality because they're getting paid interest on the bonds.
Speaker 3: And there's a lot of fees that go into doing these bonds. Right, So, like we said that there's an underwriter fees that the banks are going to collect the money on that every time they issue them, so they're going to every time that there's a case that is a settlement, there's underwriting fees, the bank gets paid.
Speaker 2: So not only do you have the first layer that's making money is insurance companies for the liability claims because insurance companies always make money, there's no way around it, Like that's how insurance companies operate, right, So now you're paying insurance premiums. So insurance, there's insurance policies and place for police brutality, they make money. But even bigger than that, now you have financial institutions that are making money off police brutality bonds off the interest. So okay, now we have to look at now it makes more sense why nothing has changed in the last fifty years, if anything has gotten worse, right, because there's no incentive for it to stop. Not only do the police do not pay themselves, they have no financial responsibility for it at all. So that's one thing.
Speaker 3: Like that's crazy.
Speaker 2: The insurance companies is actually making money on it, and now banks and financial institutions aren't making money on it. So if there's if there's if nobody's losing money as far as the cops and people are making millions and billions of dollars, why would there ever be a real incentive to change police brutality?
Speaker 3: And then all that, right, if this was chess, right, if we said that those are all the players, we got to figure out where are we at on that chess board?
Speaker 2: Just pawns getting moved around. That's the reality of it, and most people don't realize it. So it's like all right, okay, okay. So and there's different ways how cities use it, Like some cities use bonds as like part of their budgets. Some cities use it as an emergency option. Some cities use it after the liability insurance content, but they're still getting used. Right, So it's like whole economic strit And this is what we're talking about politics, and this is something that people need to be aware of. So it's like we're not just going to give you the problem. Hopefully people. Somebody's listening to a bunch of people are listening and the community's listening, and you never know what somebody can do with the information. Right. So now it's like how I see it when we're talking about were in a political season, right and you're asking these politicians, You demanding these politicians for these things, right, But a lot of times you're asking them and you demanded them for wrong things. You asking them to put body cameras on these people. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: But that's crazy. I'm glad you said body cameras because in my notes I was thinking, like body cameras that comes out of the budget too, right, So like when you say you want these things, they have to get the money to pay for it. So there needs to be a budget that needs to come flow. You're paying for those body cameras if you want them, you know what I'm saying. So like we got to think intense, like, all right, everything that you're asking for.
Speaker 2: You're gonna pay. So the reil in my opinion, if you want to take a political route. I'm not a post I'm not opposed to politics. If you want to take a political route, right, real legislation that can really make a difference is first hitting police officers when it hurts, so cutting getting cuts from the pension funds, right, the police unions across America is probably the strongest, if not one of these strongest unions TV in every city of America. That they hardly can ever lose it. They can go to jail and still keep their pension. They hardly ever get fired even if they do an egregious act. They like get put on like punishment or death duty even when.
Speaker 3: They get fired, so that that there's a fine line there, right, and that's where the law comes in. It's like they can get fired for the offense, but the offense happened while they were on duty, you see what I'm saying, So like you're still paying for it because it happened while they were part of the force. They could have been fired after it, but they still were doing that crime while they were on it. So technically your taxpayer is gonna pay for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so actionable items my opinion, I'm sure you have somebody says cutting pension funds right, every for every for every one hundred million that has to be paid out, ten percent of the of the pension fund gets depleted. That's that's an incentive for cops. Not to be because you gotta realize this a lot of times, this is the reality of it. Racism is real, right, So you're not gonna be able to change You're not gonna be able to change somebody's mine. If somebody looks at you as less than a human being, somebody looks at you, you can't change that by doing training, and none of that's gonna work. But what people respect more than anything else is money. So if they realize that, look, this is gonna affect my money, you're gonna think twice about doing something. So let's say it's one hundred for ever, one hundred million dollars, ten percent of the total pension for everybody, because it gotta be across the board. Everybody's gotta fill. The pain gets deducted. Now the good cops, he's going to be even more vigilant, and the bad cops is even going to think about it because it's like, I'm not just going to do nothing crazy because now I'm gonna get effected.
Speaker 3: Pay I think the second way we can we can go about this is having them have individual responsibility rather than having the tax paid pay for it. Let it come out of it. Like you said, let's affect the money. Let it come out of their own individual pench pains. Let it come out of their own individual salaries if there is misconduct, Right, if you saw that happening, you would be less likely to commit any type of egregious offense if you know it was gonna cost you, right, because you got to feed your family too.
Speaker 2: It's just like the NFL or any other thing. You get fined exactly right, you get fine, you do something in the NFL, you do an illegal hit, you get a fifty thousand dollars paycheck cut in your paycheck. So yeah, like you said, cops, if you get found guilty, if you because if you have to pay their settling it right, So if for every settlement that you have to pay for, we're going to take twenty thousand dollars out of your salary, We're going to cut your salary about twenty five percent for the year or so, you know what I'm saying. So now it's like overtime paid all types of thing. So now it's like, Okay, you have a financial incentive put in place not to do these things. Right. Another thing that they can do is that they can deduct it from the overall police budget, which will lower the police budget, which that hurts them. Right. Another thing that they can do that I just thought about is I don't understand why cops don't have e ANDO insurance. Like there's millions of cops all across the country from every persent, from doctors, financial advisors. Doctors pay so much money in malpractice insurance, so much money. Like a doctor might pay thirty thousand dollars a year in malpractice insurance. He might not ever do anything wrong, but that's the cost of being a doctor, because when a doctor does do something wrong, it's all pulled together. Just like a financial advisor has e ANDO insurance, which stands for ARIZONO Mission Insurance. So the financial advisor might not do anything wrong his whole entire career, but if something happens and you know, a complaint is fouled, then they have E and O insurance, which every financial advisor has to carry E and O insurance. Right. So, now, like any other type of insurance, you got millions of people putting it towards the pot it comes out of that. So why can't cops have E and O insurance? Two hundred dollars out of every single cops paycheck has to go to E and O malpractice whatever you want to call it, insurance. So now you've taken two hundred dollars a paycheck out of millions of cops paychecks that alone could probably pay for at least half of these police brutality cast it's gonna come out of yacht like.
Speaker 3: Just because what you said is so important that it'll be more than that. Right, because we're not talking about every city in America. We're talking about over over populated cities with police presence, right, So if there's a large police presence in that city, then these things are more likely to happen. And where those things happen in the cities that there are predominantly people that look like myself and shoddy straight up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And when you're talking about voting once again, you're talking about vot that's important. You have to It's not good enough just to vote. It's not good enough just you have to enact real policy change, Like these are real policy changes.
Speaker 3: Before they can even vote, right, Like I know that everybody, this is a year that the census has come out. You have to fill that out, y'all, Like you've got to fill that out, fill out the censors, let them know who you are, so then you can actually vote and actually get elected officials in the positions who have your best interest in mind. Man, people, I've seen people with this. It's like I got my senses. Whatever, what is that do with that?
Speaker 2: Another thing is that it could it could be legislation put in place where no financial institution can benefit. And if they are going to issue bonds, it has to be zero percent interest. That's the way. It's really no incentive for them to make your money. You're not going to issue a bond if it's zero percent interest. So it's gonna be extremely harder because now it's just easy, like all right, we get we get in trouble, we go to Wells Fargo. They're gonna cut us a check. We're gonna pay it back. It's not coming from us, it's coming from tax payers anyway, So who cares? WEALTHO doesn't care because they making money. The police department doesn't care because it's coming from the taxpayers. The only one that's that's brought in this bill is taxpayers. So not only a taxpayer is paying a salary of cops, they're paying for the mistakes of cops as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on a daily basis. And like that's the part that people really got to understand. Like if you're paying taxes, yeah it's cool, Like all right, we're paying for schools, but yeah, you're also playing for misconduct. Straight up.
Speaker 2: That's a fact man. So you know, it's it's it's it's a it's a crazy system. We can go on and on about this, but like I said, and it's like for those that are saying, like, all, we can't vote, I'm not saying I'm not we shouldn't vote. I'm not telling anybody what to do politically. We're not We're not a political show. I'm just saying as far as instead of just giving you problems, these are some real life solutions that you can now how you go about it, it's up to you. Like I said, we provide the information applications on you. You know, if you're a young leader, if you're an old leader, and if you you sparks something, whether it's through community mobilization, whether it's through boycotts to these or these institutions that that issue these bonds, whether it's through political action that can be debated for a different day, a different show. But you know, the first thing is to be aware of what's going on.
Speaker 3: So we went over that like all last week. We just kept saying that over and over. Everybody's like knowledge power. The more you know, the more you know. Yo. The real issue is that knowledge is power, want it's applied. So now that you have the knowledge, we've provided some knowledge for you, hopefully we peel back some layers that you were unaware of. Now it's up to you. Now what what do you do with this? What do you do with you got Where do you apply it?
Speaker 2: That's the fact. So in the next segment, we're gonna go we're gonna switch topics, but staying in the same lane, and we're gonna talk about investing. We're going talking about making money from a different twist, all right, So now we're gonna go into investing. That's what that's what we You know, people always tune into Shots Market Monday's number one stock show a whole vi shout out to wall St Trafford, bro shout out to everybody that we had on the show to talk about investing. Shot out to Quentin Martin. The first market show up we've ever done, and that was the over year ago, So we talked about investing a lot, right, but it's just like now we're in the time of being socially conscious. We're in the time of actually you know, and it does. Everybody's not socially conscious, but I'm just saying as far as a lot of people are starting to become socially conscious. So a lot of people grapple because we do. We did a show last week shout out the my song about you know the prison system yep, and it's like, I you know what I mean, Like I don't feel comfortable investing in in companies as invested in prison or it's like now it's police brutality and find out there's a whole financial play behind that.
Speaker 3: I think. I think that was so open the doors because like a lot of people didn't even realize that. And shout out to my song because I see him on the field and he was in Kentucky with the Breonna Taylor case and now he's in Minnesota with the George Floyd case too, So shout out to my song. Who's doing incredible work.
Speaker 2: Shout out to my song for sure. So all right, one thing that we have not talked about so far in the podcast is socially responsible investing. That's all right, Yes, socially responsible investing. So this is a interest in conversation because it's actually a really big thing and it's been around for a very long period of time. But so there are investors, right that have social hang ups about different things. Whether it be about the environment, whether it be about tobacco, whether it be about gambling, whether it be about war, another one, weapons of mass destruction, prison companies that benefit off of prison health.
Speaker 3: Healthcare, anybody invested in tobacco, alcohol.
Speaker 2: Women, a bunch of different things that people. So it's like a lot of times just like you know, some people and I'm not taking aside either way. Some people's like, you know, I'm ana invest and just get my bread, get my money, and it is what it is. And then some people was like, you know, I kind of want to still invest make money. I believe in that, but I still have some moral issues.
Speaker 3: Your moral compass is going that I don't.
Speaker 2: Necessarily want to invest in certain companies.
Speaker 3: Fair, Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's not so so for that they're actually funds. There's actually funds. Now guy said that the financial when you start to learn about more about everything. It's something it's like ice cream. The's a different flavor for every single person. So there's actually funds, ETFs and mutual funds in place to four socially conscious investors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to pull back the layers on this because I was like, what you texted to me? I'm like, I never heard of it. Let's do some research.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. So you know there there's there's a few. Like I said, so those are the different topics like environment, gambling, tobacco, alcohol, prison, social justice, and religion. That's a whole different conversation. We're gonna talk about that, but so just to kind of give you a few, there's es g U E s g U is an ETF, a socially conscious ETF that does not invest in any company that has anything to do with weapons, tobacco, jails, even though they actually did have a private prison in their ETF and then they found out and there was a mistake and they kicked it off. So it's like even that, it's like, you know, you find out you try to get the kosher hot dogs it was made in a pig slaughtering house. It's like it's so crazy, but so yeah, but yeah, that's a ETF, and that ETF has actually done pretty well, you know, considering because a lot of a lot of times the performance of these things aren't as high as other ones, but that one has done pretty well. It's fifty two week high is seventy five dollars, and it's fifty two week low was forty dollars a month ago. So in March it was forty dollars. Right now it's sixty eight, so it's it's it's up pretty nicely in a two in a two month timeframe. Another one is s SGA, which is a women diversity ETF and like investing companies that hire majority women or have women CEO, it's like it's focused around women. There's another one called c r b N which is a low carbon environmental friendly ETF. So there there's a variety. Like you can just google socially conscious funds and like kind of just play around with it in different filters and you can see, like, you know, what kind of fun you're looking for, you know, with the situation.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. It's interest because I'm thinking to myself, like, how many investors right are not willing to compromise their values to make money. And when you when I think of investors, I'm like, you know what, I think the more the moral thing is like they just want to make money. Yeah, they don't put everything else.
Speaker 2: I think. I think you know, people and myself included. You know, I'm not preaching from the choir. We can conveniently get blind, right, conveniently get blind because it's like, you know what I'm saying, Like you might see something, it's like it's not that bad.
Speaker 3: It's like like if you were anti war, right, and it was like, yeah, bones at ninety seven dollars, right, But I don't want to invest in any company that has deals with any making machines or any type of thing that can help in the development of weapons and masters to strut helping more. There goes that morale. It's like, wait, well this is a good buye, right, this this is a good buye at ninety seven dollars. Is it worth it? You know what I'm saying, Like, I think most people think, let's just make money.
Speaker 2: Oh, they just don't really think about it. You're thinking about it from that un the standpoint, it's like, yeah, you know, Boeing has government contracts. Are you thinking that maybe that government plane is sending a drone and killing an innocent child in Syria? You're not really looking too far into it. You could. It's available. It's a lot, it's a lot easier. This is what happens in a variety of different things. You don't you don't want to see certain things. Like you, you're walking down the alley, you see what's going on, you turn your you turn around. You walked out the way a lot of times. Most of the time, yeah, most of the time.
Speaker 3: I mean for your own safety a lot of time.
Speaker 2: And like I said, I'm not here to shame. We're not here to shame anybody.
Speaker 3: Nah.
Speaker 2: But but I'm just saying, I'm just you just want to provide them in for me.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC Erness What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square? We love more in businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most. Ready to see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com. Backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: Fation for some people that may want to take a higher level of morality in that standpoint, and may want to take a higher level of weeding out their investments. Just give them, Just give them. That's the thing we're we just hate it. Just provide information. A lot of time people don't fully understand that, and they don't they don't they don't even know that.
Speaker 3: That exist exactly. So it's like there are a lot of people in this I guess the quote unquote woke stage right. So it's like, yo, if you're woke, let it be in all assets of your life, right, not just in your individual things that you're doing on day to day, but even in investment. And this is one of those things like like you said, prior to this, I wasn't thinking about it. I had no idea, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's so But then that brings it to another conversation we talked to get shot out to Mice on last week's episode was about the prison system. We didn't fully go into the finances of publicly traded companies, but so there's prison stocks, like private prison companies that are traded on the Stock exchange. So a few of them are cour Civic which is c x W, and g O Group, which is geo. That's there, that's the symbol.
Speaker 3: The crazy thing about cor Cific and this is crazy that you said that. We don't even speak about this, but dal Freeman shot out to Daal Freeman. If you don't know Daalk Freeman, google him. I tell you his background. But a very a very successful man in the world of technology.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He called me. He said, y'all loved that episode. The actual the CEO of Courcific is my next door neighbor.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: He was like, Yo, it's a big business and I'm glad y'all talked to you episode. Yep, loved it. Sent me the message and I was like, wow, that's incredible. He was like, Yo, it's a big business. It's a city. Literally. You got to think of these prisons, these private business as cities. They need everything that a city needs. And when you look at it like that, it's like damn. He's right. Yeah, and his next door neighbor is the guy who is in charge of that.
Speaker 2: Well, there you have it. So yeah, those are two private prison companies. Now. The crazy thing about those stocks, so it's been even on that episode, my song had said that private prison stocks skyrocketed after Trump got elected. That is true. Both of those companies I think went up over one hundred percent in the year following Trump's election, but they've actually been down for the last like three year and four years, Like their five year chart is not really impressive, which is a good thing. I mean, you know, but just wanted to throw that out there. We have to tell both sides of the story. So as an investment, they haven't really they're not booming. They're not booming right now.
Speaker 3: Which is good, which is good, which means that there's less people going to prison.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if there's less people going to prison. But for whatever reason, this stock is just not doing well. There could be a variety of different reasons why this stock isn't doing well, but the stock has not really performed. But what a lot of people don't fully understand is that a lot of people are invested in especially cor Civic. Up until last year, at the very least, a lot of people are invested in Corsific without even knowing it because through your four to one K, through your IRA, through your pension plan. So Vanguard and Blackrock were the two biggest holders I think they still are of private prisons stocks. Black Rock Vanguard, two of the biggest mutual fund companies. Everybody loves Vanguard because they have you know, it's what I'm saying, it's a lot of it's a lot of right and wrong in life. Right. People love Vanguard because it's like it's a no load fund and it's pretty much free to invest, and it's it's cheap, and they're the biggest hold of prison stocks. By the way, they also have a lot of four one K accounts. Black Rock has a lot of four one K accounts, right, so cour Civic c XW was in a lot of these probably still are, and a lot of these four one K make ups because when you invest in a four one K, nobody knows what they're invested in. The four one K you have probably three Like four one K is like a menu and they give you like twenty different options of how to invest right in twenty different funds. Now, within one fund, it's like one hundred different stocks inside of a fund. So if you have like three different funds, you have like three hundred different stocks inside of your fall one K that you're invested in.
Speaker 3: You can do research on all of them.
Speaker 2: Now, I guarantee you no nobody knows any of those companies. Nobody knows any of those companies, right because you never asks. It's not like just listed. As soon as when you they just tell you the name of the company. So it'll be like Vanguard twenty twenty fund or Vanguard High interest bond fund or Vanguard small Cap Value fund. Right, that's the name of the fund. But inside of the small cap value fund, it's about one hundred and forty different stocks.
Speaker 3: That's when you get that big pamphlet that comes to your house like that. Probably nobody ever goes through and there's a bunch of these stocks and you're like, all right, well did I make money or not? Pretty much?
Speaker 2: Pretty much?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Nobody's individually looking into one hundred and forty different stocks and then actually researching those stocks to see if they align with their values and moralities. It is not happening.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. But you can't say that you didn't know at least because we told you. So you know, if you're interested in it, you can do further research. But so, just wanted to talk about the prison thing because we did speak about that last week.
Speaker 3: And it's some other things to know about these srs. They tend to have a higher fee than regular funds, and so I was like, what doesn't make sense. Why, Well, the mutual fund has the person who's providing the fund actually has to do more research. So there's more work that the person has to do. Right, if they're gonna do things that match your core values and your moralities, it's like they have to find ethnical things that will work for you. So there's a little bit more research. So the fees tend to be a little bit higher. And there's a there's a site that you can go if you're into social fund uh social responsibility investing. Social funds dot Com is the website so you can go research on yourself. So that that's one thing that you should do. Obviously, do the research and then know your values. A lot of people don't know their own values, so like when they're trying to invest, it's like, well, I believe there's a know your own values before you're going to go into this type of fund, all right, so do the research. I just gave you the website. And another thing is a lot of times and we've said this website again Social funds dot Com, So you can go there on your own leisure and do some research there. But one of the things that it brought to my mind is like we talk about diversifying when we're investing, right, but like this type of fund doesn't. It kind of doesn't allow you to do that, right because if you're aligning everything with your values, isn't everything kind of going to be the same if.
Speaker 2: You No, No, you can invest in a variety of different companies that don't that still align with your values, like you know what I'm saying, could be different industries. Like it's just it's just harder, like you said, because it's like you've really got to go through every single fine come because it's like, all right, you're invested in a tech company, but is this tech company providing software for weapons of mass destruction? So now it's just so much more intensive research that you have to do, which is the fund manager's job. But you can still invest in a variety like you can invest in tech, you can invest in you know, farming, you can invest in financial institution, like you can invest in different companies. It's just that those different companies have to be in line with what you feel comfortable with.
Speaker 3: I would imagine that these funds are managed by very very small companies. This feels like a niche thing that like very small companies do.
Speaker 2: No, Actually, Vanguard has well right, right, right, you're right, you're right, Van Guard.
Speaker 3: That's a big one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, but so going to what you just said as far as the niche, so there's different layers of socially responsible fund as well. Like I said, your Legion, we just had to provide as much information as we possibly can till every because there's so many different types of people in this world. So you got the socially conscious people that don't want to invest in those things. But religion is a huge thing in this world, and now you have religious people who can't or do not want to invest in certain things because of their religion. So now you have funds for that. It's fun for everything. So you have Christian funds like Guidestone is a Christian fund, and that's dedicated to invest in companies that that have core Christian values. Kind of a vague situation, but you know that's what that's designed for. You can do some research and kind of forget out. Do you have av Maria, which is a Catholic fund. There's a few Catholic funds. So av Maria is Rising Dividend Fund, that's a that's one of their their popular funds, and that's a Catholic fund. So you know, Catholics, they're really big on like you know, abortion and a couple other things. That's like real sticklers for the Catholic Church. So they only invest in companies that align with Catholic values. And then so just coming off the month of Ramadan, we have a large listenership all over the world and that includes America, which is their huge Muslim population. There is a huge Muslim population in Africa, huge Muslim population in Europe of course the Middle East. So we have to say, as some malay them to all of the Muslims that that tune in. And one thing about Islam is that that's actually you know, part of the religion is sharia law. Sharia law, So people have a misunderstanding a lot of times what sharia law is. I'm not gonna go into a full but part of it is investing. Like there's actually guidelines, so it's not really up for like vague interpretation, like if you really are a hard line in the religion, there's financial guidelines of how you can invest. So like interest is outlawed in Muslim countries, so shouts our good friends in Egypt, and I was over the house yesterday and she was telling me that there's no there's no mortgages in Egypt. No mortgages in Egypt. You just buy the land. So interests, interest is outlaw. You're not allowed to charge anybody interest. That's one thing, right. Of course, if you're familiar with the religion, you know that. You know alcohol is outlawed, variety of different factors. Gambling, there's no gambling. Gambling is outlawed. So in Islam you have halal and haram. Haram is forbidden, Halao is allowable. That's like deemed okay, so now you.
Speaker 3: Have to actually look that up. That was crazy on the jail Etronic album.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so now you have you have halal funds. One of the most popular funds is called a man of fund. So the man of fund is a mutual fund based around Sharia law which is halal and allows Muslims that if you want to, if you want to follow those guidelines, that you can actually invest and the amount of fund only invest in alal companies, meaning companies that don't partake in gambling, companies that don't partake and interest interest bearing accounts, companies that don't partake in alcohol, a variety of other things as well, So that that's something that is a big play as well, because like I said, I mean, no matter what religion you follow, if you're Jewish, they have culture funds as well. It's the same thing kulshure and halal kind of the same thing as far as like the meaning of it, where like Jewish people have like if you're a strict hardline jew you are only really supposed to indulge in kulshure. But kulture is more than just food.
Speaker 3: Right, I think that's that's a crazy misconception that people only think it's a food.
Speaker 2: Then the same thing with allow, like you see to allow guys or to allow truck. So people when they think about hallo, especially like if you live in New York City or like, like you're pretty popular, it's pretty popular, allow food. And that is a certain way where the food the animals like are you know, slaughtered and you say a prayer and certain things. The same thing with kosher, but that's only part of it. So like with the culture. That's the only part of it, like you know, as far as like then's the same kind of idea. And like I said, that's that's true with a variety of different religions where it's like, you know, depending on what religion you subscribe to, that might you know, have a play in how you choose to invest. So those are all things to think about as well.
Speaker 3: I know they're listening like Yo, damn shitty, sound like a history professor. This dude literally studies religion like no Joe and anybody that knows has ever had a conversation with him, they know, like he loves talking about religion. Shout de val who always brings it up. She always talks about how you've taught us so much about the world. But yeah, I know, this is one of your sweet points.
Speaker 2: So history has been my favorite subject since I was a little kid.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 2: I took a history of religion class when I was in college and I never study, never got one broken, got an A plus because I just already knew so much about religion, all religions. I'm just fascinated by you know, I think it's interesting to learn about Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism seek. I have friends that are all different religions, and you know, for me personally, I don't think that there's any one religion that is reigned supreme, whatever you know, you feel comfortable with. I'm not here to judge, but I just you know, I always found religion interesting because I realized how how touchy it is, and it's like people die over their religion. People will kill you over their religion, and it's like you can't play around. That's why we don't really talk about religion too much.
Speaker 3: Some people don't want to be separated from.
Speaker 2: You can't play around with religion. So it's like it's interesting, It's interesting to me, and it's fascinating. So I try to learn as much about religion as I possibly can because I feel like a lot of times, most of the time, we just we follow whatever religion we're born into. And that's not really a belief system. That's more superstition. When you when you believe in something that you don't fully understand, is superstition.
Speaker 3: You've been You've been bred to believe that.
Speaker 2: Stevie Wonder said that, So now when you have a full understanding of things, not only does it open your perspective and make you more open to the world. But at least even if the thing that you do fully believe in, you can actually believe in it as opposed to just doing it because everybody in your family does it and you feel like you're going to be cursed if you don't do it.
Speaker 3: You've been you've stunned the research on your own, You've allowed yourself to critically think, You've allowed yourself to analyze, and like, that's the goal in life, right, allowed yourself and allow others to freely think and freely choose. You know what I'm saying, Like I think that is as an educator, like that's the number one thing I'm looking for. Can I allow these students to critically think for themselves? And we should have that same mindset when it comes to our family and our children.
Speaker 2: That's a fact. So the last thing with the stocks, this is pretty disturbing and it's all a financial place. So now people might want to invest in black owned companies. It's like black who are then invest in black But from an investing standpoint, it's like what if I want to invest money in the stock market, but I want to invest in black owned companies.
Speaker 3: A lot of people want to do that, right, but we we buy black.
Speaker 2: Shout out to them, Yeah, shout out to we buy black. Those my people, good good people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So all right, it's like a black owned fund. I couldn't find any. I could like a black ETF or a black mutual fund that only had black companies.
Speaker 3: Couldn't find anything. Yeah, and maybe there are awesome. I couldn't find any either, but maybe there are some.
Speaker 2: Well. I think the reason why there are none that I could find is that out of four thousand stocks on the New York Stock Exchange, twelve are black companies. Twelve. That is so disturbing that that's a whole different conversation. You're talking about economic and that's what people don't fully understand. It's like black people are so far behind. It's just it's almost it's amazing. It's like it's like running a marathon and you like twenty three miles in and you just started the race, and somebody else is twenty three miles in.
Speaker 3: So it's like we're on a treadmill. There's a marathon going on, were on a treadmill.
Speaker 2: That's not even one percent, that's less than one percent of twelve twelve out of four thousand companies are publicly traded. So you were talking about economic empowerment, and it's like a lot of times it's on a broader on a small scale when you start looking at it from a large scale as far as like companies and billions of dollars and things of that nature, and like publicly traded companies, there's twelve out of four thousand, like diversity.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's crazy. And during the research, I actually, you know, I was proud to find out that I'm actually invested in one, well not invested, but I do business with one at least, And I was I'm looking at the other ones. I'm like, I don't even know these. I don't even know these, So you want to run down field?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got four that I people might know. Citizens with their symbol is c z b S.
Speaker 3: That's what I actually have my mortgage through. So not that I'm invested in it, but we do business together. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Citizens is a black owned bank.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For one, like the number four one, and that is formally used to be Urban one, which is a radio. No, it's Urban one. For to one is Urban one, and it used to be Radio one. Okay, it's a radio syndicate. No no, RLJ, which is a larging lodging company owned by Robert Johnson, former owner of BT, former owner of the Bobcats.
Speaker 3: Yep. First billionaires, black billionaire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. And then Carver Bank another black owned. There's a few black owned banks. Yeah, Carver Bank, which is encouraging that they have.
Speaker 3: We have black owned banks that are being publicly traded.
Speaker 2: That's important. You want to list a few others.
Speaker 3: Well, we have the same one so but.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so but so. Not only is this discouraging as there's only twelve, even more so discouraging than that. It's like you look at these charts, look at all of their charts. None of them have good charts, none of them. None of them. You look at Ian's technical analysis, would be buys. As far as if you want to make money, they've all they haven't. They don't. They're not doing well. As far as on the stock. The stock has not done well for five years, looking at the five year chart, and it's not good.
Speaker 3: And it's going to be tough to find there a lot of these companies have a ten year charge or twentieth even sometimes it goes back to the history thirty year chart. A lot of these companies that doesn't exist. It just doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even know what to say about that. That's just that's something just to like as far as working forward to something.
Speaker 3: But that's I mean, a lot of that has to do with a lot of systematic things that were put in place so that it couldn't exist. We won't want to ignore that fact, right, So having our own private own company, or even having a black owned bank systematically in America for years, that wasn't even a possibility. So there are reasons why we don't have a long history of it. So let's not ignore that fact. But like I said, when we go back to the history of some of these companies that we look at, we do look at the ten year chart, we do look at twenty year or the history of the company's chart, and that's just not available right now for these companies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know that's some information if you're interested in socially responsive funds, religious funds, black owned companies, you know, just a different different take on investing because we talk about investing a lot. So we just want to just give people a different a different take on it, and you can kind of do whatever you want with the information, but it you know, hopefully that that that shines some light good and bad, good and bad, because everything's not gonna be a good story. Yeah. Sometimes, you know, it's just the news is just that we have to just report what it is. And it's not always it's not always encouraging, but sometimes you need stuff that's not encouraging to encourage you. So hopefully some of the information, especially with the black owned publicly traded company, hopefully somebody listening to this and make it a goal and have it and have their company be the stock that everybody wants to invest in, not just a token company that's on the stock echange that nobody's invested in that is just going nowhere. We not only my goal is to have a publicly traded company. My goal is to be bigger than Amazon, bigger than Apple, bigger than Google.
Speaker 3: We need that type aspiration in our community. We need it.
Speaker 2: Why not somebody gotta do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we make these We make a lot of those companies what they are, so we can make our own.
Speaker 2: That's a fact, all right. So in the next time, we're going to bring it home with some marketing, all right, So we're gonna wrap it up with some conversation about marketing around social injustice, social issue things of that nature.
Speaker 3: So you want to take the lead on that, yeah, man, I mean we've we've seen companies in the past, especially Nike, when they stood by Colin Kaepernick and had his whole campaign during the social injustice and him taking the knee, and we saw the backlash from that from pretty much half of the country didn't agree with it. And then this day and age with the George Floyd case, Uh, we've seen that these companies are taking the stance again. Not only is Nike doing the for the first time Don't Do It campaign, which talks about don't turn a blind eye into to racism, don't turn a blind eye to police brutality. And it's something that I've been expressing all week, really like, if you don't stand by me, if you care about me, if you care about Shaddy, and you don't feel angered and outraged by what's happening, then do you really love us? You know what I'm saying. So not to say that Nike does, but the fact that they've even spoken, but I know Lebron James has done a tremendous job about speaking up about these issues and continues to and there's a lot of other athletes that do as well. But now we see that Adida has decided they want to jump in the campaign and showed unity by I think they tweeted what Nike had put up, which was which was dope. I thought it was dope to see those two companies come together. But then Rebok, which I thought was probably one of the better messages that I've seen, and their campaign was without the black community. Rebok wind exists without the black community. The world when America wind exists, And.
Speaker 2: I was like, the world wouldn't exist.
Speaker 3: The world the world went exist, but they put America when exists. But we know that the world wouldn't exist. So the country that we live in obviously was built on the back of our ancestors. So to hear, you know, these companies say that, and more of the companies need to say that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's not just because like, oh wait, they were looting targets. Now, Target should make a statement, now this is happening in Minnesota, the headquarters of your company. You should have a statement, right, you should be saying something. You should be standing with these people because of an injustice to me, should be an injustice to.
Speaker 2: You, right, injustice to some as an injustice to all. And I feel like if you have a responsibility to say something, is it thin line? Because it's like some people say, like, all right, you don't want to exploit a situation, right, but also you have to address it. You have to address it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Silence almost Like I keep seeing this, and we've been saying that for a long time. Silence in most cases equals complicency, right, So if you're not saying anything, then it means you're complicent, right that you must not feel a way or you agree with what is happening. So anybody in this, especially in this past week or so and for years, because like I said, this has been going on like we were born into this, you know what I'm saying, Like we've been born into this. We don't seem police brutality from nineteen ninety one with Rodney King up until this week, and it's like this isn't new to us. So for people to continuously ignore it, con sideriously have no stance on it, or continuously try to victimize the victims. That happens a lot, like we victimize the victims of these strgedies. It's crazy to me. So it's it's good to see that some companies stepping up. I think more.
Speaker 2: I think every company needs to step up and say something. And the companies that don't step up and say something, take note the entertainers and athletes and things. And I wanted to talk about this too because it's like a lot of times people don't understand. It's like I put this on Instagram. It's like having money does not equate to having freedom. And we learned that big different. We made a lot of relationship with NFL players, and we was hanging out with NFL player last summer and he was telling us around the time with Callan Kaepernick, like most NFL players are not wealthy. They're like, you know, one hundred five hundred thousand, maybe seven hundred thousand, but in the grand scheme of things, that's not that that's not real money, and it's like they can't afford to lose their job. So he was like his owner, the owner of that team that he was playing on, came out and said she didn't want anybody taking a knee they don't agree with that?
Speaker 3: Better not Yeah, pretty much like straight up.
Speaker 2: In fact, Jarry Jones said that I shouldn't do it. Yeah, he did say that.
Speaker 3: And what Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliott do They stood up felling the felling a line yep.
Speaker 2: And so one of his teammates actually decided to take a knee, and not only was he released from the team the next day, his father, who was a bus.
Speaker 3: Driver or some kind of totally different states.
Speaker 2: Civic job in a different state, was fired. So this is the kind of pressure that a lot of these entertainers and athletes. So it's like, when you're looking at it, entertainer, First of all, I have an issue with entertainers and athletes being looked at as leaders. And anybody knows me, no, I love entertainers and athletes, but it's like, if you devote your life to entertaining us, or if you devote your life to being an athlete. I wasn't really mad what Michael Jordan said about like, my main focus in my life was being a basketball player. That's not really an issue for me. The issue is that we expect him to be a political leader. There are political leaders, there are doctors, there are scientists, there are financial people. So it's like, I'm not saying that we shouldn't celebrate our athletes and entertainers. The problem comes in when they are celebrated one thousand times more than our engineers, our doctors, our lawyers, our financial leaders are politicians, because now you marginalize those people who really do have something.
Speaker 3: To exactly, and that was what and that's what Mike said too, to his credit, not that I agree or disagree with it, but he was like, I didn't speak on it because I don't have enough knowledge. That's not what I don't I play ball. I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying to make myself look crazy. I'm not a politician. I'm not a doctor, a scientist. I'm a basketball player.
Speaker 3: We're not asking, yo, Aaron Judge, what do you think, Like, No, that's not what you're here to play baseball? Play baseball. Yeah, you can have an opinion if you like to speak up, great, I'm not counting on you to speak up.
Speaker 2: And that only happens in our community. Malcolm said that over fifty years ago, only in the black community when issues come up, do athletes and entertainers take the front line. And it's not wrong that because some of our greatest athletes going Lebron James kudos to him, Muhammad Ali kudos, Sammy Davis Jr. Had a lot to say.
Speaker 3: Jackie Robbins, Jackie Robbins.
Speaker 2: It's a bunch of people that have taken political stances, whether it's through a variety of different actions, and we salute that. I'm not trying to downplay entertainers or athletes. What I'm saying is that stop putting so much emphasis, stop over celebrating these people, and over having over expectations for these Like you're expecting people who are not qualified nine times out of ten to speak on your behalf just because they're famous. Right. So it's like if we had political figures, if we had business figures, if we celebrated other people who are more qualified, who dedicated their life to learning about issues that can speak intelligently, if we celebrated them and elevated them, and we do sometimes, like I said, ear your Leader is a perfect example that you know, we definitely appreciate all of the support that we have gotten, but I'm just saying, just to keep it in perspective during these times, is that not only do you sho should you pay attention of who's saying what, but stop putting all of your expectations on people that are here to entertain. That's their job to entertain us. So as an entertainer, you are here to nine times out of ten entertained. You can't expect that person and you shouldn't be looking to that person to be your political or economic voice. Be your own economic voice, be your own political voice.
Speaker 3: We have the power to do it, we have the knowledge to do it right. It makes no sense why we shouldn't do it while we were not doing it right. We need to celebrate, like you said, celebrate the people who actually are doing the work. Tamika Mary. I thought I saw her on CNN. I was like, Yo, that's powerful. Like I love her voice. She's speaking for a community's speaking for a generation of people. Like we said, what my son's doing, What Stephen Jackson was doing in Minneapolis, I thought it was incredible. He actually had a relationship. I came to find out with George Floyd. These people are They're not You're not looking for them. They're showing themselves.
Speaker 2: To us and throughout history. And like I said, because like poets have always been celebrated, Like we listened to rap every single day, but there was never a point in time where Shakespeare was more powerful and more valued than Caesar. Right, Like, that's not how civilizations work. That's not how civilizations work.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 2: There's levels, right, there's levels of appreciation. There's levels for people that should be elevated. And like I said, there's always been entertainers, athletes, There's always been poets, musicians, artists. But the problem, and this is when civilizations start to fall. When when Rome built the coliseum, that's to keep people distracted, right, And it's like entertained. So now you're entertaining these people, and they lose track of what is really important.
Speaker 3: Right, the gladiator becomes the figure.
Speaker 2: Right, So and that's done intentionally to keep you off what's really going on. And this is done throughout civilizations throughout history. So just pay attention to that, keep that in mind, and understand the level of appreciation that you have for these entertainers. You should have that same level of appreciation for other people because, as Derry Falcon said, the entrepreneurs, the creatives are our future. This is why, this is why un your Lisha is so important. The political figures, the entrepreneurs, the creatives, those are our future because as he said, I don't care how fast you can jump, how far you you're gonna retire. An athlete's career is four to five years if that, if they're lucky, a good rapper might have a three year run. If that, I don't care how many words you can put together. Eventually you're not going to be hot. No more so, what's more important than somebody getting in a booth and being able to put together words that can rhyme is somebody that can actually pay that person.
Speaker 3: For that economic empowerment, economic freedom. Like that's it, Like we have to get to that point where like Yo, that needs to be celebrated, that needs to be elevated and celebrate on educator too, Like they're the ones that are passing right with They're passing the message on, they're passing the knowledge on that can be a later applied break them the same way that we do a lot of these celebrities.
Speaker 2: Sure, so this was this was this was a dope episode to startpe for me. You know, it's like everybody else, you know, we're going through a lot right now. And it was just good just to get out here and get some information to the public. Hopefully you guys were able to take some some some some information from this. That's the baility of this man and utilize it.
Speaker 3: That'sability of it. Like we didn't have to say like, Yo, we need to Yo, we're gonna go do this, Like all right, let's do it today. We're now waiting, like I know, you know, people were like, hey, what's just this is our stands, like we recorded it as we all now to apply some information and make some changes that y'all want.
Speaker 2: To see for sure.
Speaker 3: So Troy, yeah, yeah, you know. We we usually you know, shout out what we're doing. But more importantly, since this is like a state of the emergency state of the Union for our community, we wanted to highlight some other people. And I think it would be more appropriate for us to acknowledge some other funds that are happening right now in America and that ca help our community. So you want to start with the first one, you can start, all right, So first and foremost I did the research and decided, you know, the Minnesota Freedom Fund. I think everybody should be aware of what that is. A lot of that is going on in Miniapis right now. And what that fund does is it bails out people who've been arrested for political protests. So they're small bails, but a lot of people are being arrested because a lot of them are peacefully protesting. I want to I don't want you all get confused and think that our people are rioting. A lot of our people are peacefully protesting. The media has portrayed in a certain light. Yes, there are people who are doing other things, but for the people who are peacefully protesting, the Minnesota Freedom Fund bails those people out. And I think it would be appropriate for us to acknowledge the George Floyd Fund. His family fund is a gofund me fund. If you could donate to that, it goes directly to the family. I know they over five million dollars already right now. We can't forget that that is somebody's husband, that is somebody's father, that is somebody's son. And you know, his last words and this hit me yesterday when we were doing the research. His last words were, you know, I can't breathe and calling for his mom. I didn't even know that his mom had passed away two years ago, so that hit me so hard, knowing that in his last moments he's crying to reach his mom who had passed away literally to the day. I think the anniversary of your fur death was this week, So you know, donate to that. We will be doing that and we encourage you to do the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stay safe out there, stay encouraged, stay healthy, and once again recipes to all of the people that have full victim of police brutality throughout the last three hundred years, four hundred, four hundred years in the United States of America and all over the world. Thank you guys for rocking with us. We'll see you next week. Peace.
Speaker 3: Peace.
Speaker 4: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salva accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,