Speaker 1: From Bahard where Innovation, Money and power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 2: Lie from New York and San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up. Ubisoft jumps on buy out reports as Tencent and its founders I'm taking Assassin's Cream maker private.
Speaker 3: And the EU votes to impose tariffs up to forty five percent on Chinese electric vehicles.
Speaker 4: We discussed the trade tensions.
Speaker 2: And Meta unveils an AI video generator as it's AI pushmak Zuckerberg the world's second richest position.
Speaker 5: But first we go to our top stock story.
Speaker 6: Ed.
Speaker 3: Yes, French video game maker Ubisoft actually in the thirty minutes left in European trading in Paris, the stock on track for its biggest jump on record one day jump. Bloomberg reporting in the last ninety minutes according to sources that ten Cents, the Chinese technology company and the Guimo family, the founding family behind Ubisoft, the French video game might make a are considering a buyout of the company. There are a number of factors behind that. Let's get right out to our Paris bureau and bloom Bloomberg's Benoir Buttelo, who broke this story with colleagues. It's been under pressure, right, this is about stabilizing Ubisoft. What do we know from sources, what's on the table here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: So it's a reflection that the biggest investors yourself right now, the Guimo family, the funding family, and also shareholder ten Cent are having at the moment because that follows a rough time for the company and they had issued profit welling. Recently, they've been disappointed by the release of an important game, Star Wars game, and they delayed another important game as since scret shadows to next year. That has sent the shares plunging. The company has lost half of its market value this year. So they are also activist investors at the moment asking for either take private or sale of the company. So this is all happening in this context. One of the options they consider, as we report, according to our sources, is take private joint take private of the company. There are also other options being considered and that are on the table.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, ten Cents an interesting name.
Speaker 2: We know they're already an investor alongside the Gemo family, but would Chinese buyers be able to get their hands on a prized French.
Speaker 5: Treasure, they would do it.
Speaker 4: So they are in a concert. They are in a close collaboration with the more family.
Speaker 7: They made a deal two years ago and they invested actually in the family holding. There are five Givemo brothers and also the extended family and Tencent already bought less than half of their family holding, so they are they're sort of intertwined. Uh and Tencent has been investing in European video games company. Obviously ubi Soft is interesting for them because of the ips they have. Assassins Creed, a hugely popular game. Ubisoft has been developing a mobile version of the game, especially for tencent Chinese Chinese market, and also Raymond Rabbits. And it's one of the rare big independent studios, let's say, in the world. So so yeah, they sort of are close to the Gimo and evaluating the situation. That was an important investment for them, and they're figuring out the situation.
Speaker 3: So Eve Gimo is the CEO of Ubersoft, And you're absolutely right, Like the new Assassin's Creed Shadows coming Rayman, so many people watching Bloomberg Technology excuse me, it would have grown.
Speaker 4: Up playing rayman.
Speaker 3: I don't understand that though he's the CEO, the family is part of the buyout. According to sources, just explain the basics of how the company is structured in the governance.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so they founded the Gimo brothers, they found the ubis off almost forty years ago and they are still very much in control of the company and they have the five brothers are at the board of the company. But if Gimo is now sixty four and they made that deal with ten Cent to sort of protect the company from buyout in twenty twenty two, at least it was seen as such bi analysts and it's it's sort of limiting what ten Cent can do. There are different timelines, but ten cents cannot have a bigger than ten percent stake.
Speaker 5: For example, the Gimo.
Speaker 7: Familia still still has a majority of the voting rights. Ten Cent has no vital voting rights. So it was really a deal that was seen as killing speculation around the company. But obviously times have a little changed recently and they wonder if it would be a good moment to make that move.
Speaker 5: Manoir, We thank you Benwell Berfalo there.
Speaker 2: Now let's have a quick check on these markets because it is soft moving a lot, but actually the market's steadily higher at the moment after what was a blowout jobs report. We're just seeing the US hiring topped all estimates. So what does that mean for rape bets when you've got nonfarm payrolls coming in at two hundred and fifty four thousand in September and indeed some inflationary pressure people diving back the rate kept bets on the federal reserve and that's that, though managing to be about eight tenser percent.
Speaker 5: The bomb market is where the big moves are.
Speaker 2: Let's go to see BIS Chief investment Officer Anna rathbun so much to discuss whether it's M and A tach privates and whether it's just ultimately the fundamentals. We start there. This job market on fire? Do we still support big tech investments?
Speaker 1: Good morning, labor market is on fire, But we have to remember it is one month release, so we can take it at a base value because it's great and let's celebrate it, but we can't extrapolate it way too far because in totality there are definitely weaknesses. I believe Reuters came out with some report about and the Challengers report about losing tech jobs, right, Does that mean I don't support tech investments? No, because I do think that part of the tech job's loss is correction on over hiring for AI. This is happening all over the world, especially with Samsung coming out with some layof announcements. Tech investments I would still support because I know a lot of people think it's a bubble, but it's opposed to be a bubble when you have something this innovative. This is sort of part for the course, so I think it's still worth it to go along for the ride. But in the short term I do understand the concern, but long term it's still an investment.
Speaker 5: Let's just dwell on that for a moment.
Speaker 2: In terms of the overall data, I think it was what was it ed the Challenger data showing that half of all the tech layoffs and tech layoffs have been behind most of the layoffs this year, half of them are because of artificial intelligence head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then there's a difference, or you've got to distinguish between layoffs that are announced and layoffs that are enacted. I also just want to like spend a second on the moment and how wild jobs. Dating is on social media in particular. And I don't know what your life is like before coming on Bloomboat Technology, but you'd think that this was a once in a lifetime moment if you go on X Bloomboat Joe Wisenthal going, this is what we wake up for why we all go on.
Speaker 4: To social media?
Speaker 5: I mean he does do that every single job exactly.
Speaker 3: Is that if you're a technology investor, is that what it's really like when you get economic data like this?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, maybe maybe not.
Speaker 1: It's not like that for me. So we're long term investors. So it is exciting, and I do participate in some of the excitement in the short term. But again, like if we're if I'm looking at AI, I'm looking at the long term potential, This one job number is just not going to really do anything for me, right, So yes and no, I do participate, but it doesn't affect what I do.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't affect ultimately what you're up to, let's think about what it affects in terms of market sentiment for big tech and indeed the opportunity to see consolidation. We've seen themes of M and A, whether it's out of die need and distress like we saw ultimately in the PayTV deals earlier this week, we now hear of reports that companies that have been really beaten up from a market cap perspective and now being allyed to take private.
Speaker 5: It's not going to be something we see even as rates come down.
Speaker 1: Well, the rates have to come down considerably, and you know, talking about the job market today, there's a lot of fear. I mean, I think the market's repricing itself from fifty basis point total for the rest of the year to seventy five, and I think it's it's gonna matter how far we go down. The FED should still cut because I don't think the M and A market can be healthy at this rate. There's a lot of liquidity, people say, but there's liquidity for certain people, not enough liquidity for others. It's not like, you know, you can't paint with a single brush here. So for the market to be healthy again, for there to be healthy level of M and A activity, especially in the IPO market, I think the FED has to continue cutting. And I don't think today's jobs number is going to change the course of what the FED has started.
Speaker 3: We must look I guess forward to the rest of the year where we have a presidential election here in the United States. Does that impact the technology investor, even if you're a long term investor, when you take into account policy antitrust regulation in this.
Speaker 1: Country, Yeah, I would watch for a one party rule because any law that is passed in through Congress. There's a lot of fear about AI. What we saw in California about you know, and and it became a free free speech issue. But there are a lot of these fears about you know, what can be passed through in terms of deep fakes and AI et cetera.
Speaker 4: These things.
Speaker 1: If we don't do it right, it can actually turn into something that can be a regulate regulation that can actually hinder innovation. So I think this is doesn't matter which party it is right, but certainly if you have one party rule, it would definitely increase the probability of something like that getting passed.
Speaker 2: Save It's Chief Investment Officer, Anna Rathbun, Thanks as always for your time. Meanwhile, coming up, the EU preparing for tarofs up to forty five percent on Chinese made electric vehicles. That says Europe risks a broader trade conflict with China and what are you looking at?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm looking at EV's as well.
Speaker 3: Rivian is down six percent off its session lows, but it has cut its production outlook to forty seven thousand to forty nine thousand EV's this year. It had been fifty seven thousand. Why a specific supply chain issue they're not disclosing. That became more acute in recent weeks. And that's their two consumer models and the van they make for Amazon, and the streets concerned.
Speaker 4: I'm digging into it.
Speaker 3: And by the way, if you're a Rivian employee that's out there, you know something, phone me. I think a lot of people want to know what's going on here. It's a Rivian problem rather than an industry problem.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg technology.
Speaker 3: The European Union is voted to impose tariffs as high as forty five percent on electric vehicles from China. Here's how European Commission spokesperson Betrayed all off Gil explain the reasoning.
Speaker 9: We do not and we never have wanted to impose tariffs in this case for the sake of imposing tariffs. What we want is to remove the injurious subsidization, the effect of the injurious subsidization that are painstakingly detailed, wto compatible and thorough investigation identified.
Speaker 3: Let's discuss with Transport and Environment Senior Director Julia Poliskanova up to forty five percent tariff on Chinese built and imported electric vehicles. Your reaction and analysis of that number.
Speaker 8: So overall, we do think that today is a good day for European industrial policy. It means there's one single vision, That means we are serious about trying to create the business case for local manufacturing in Europe. We believe that, and I certainly already see in some of the data that some of the Chinese companies will still be doing really well. They have a good product. We still will see those brands on the European market, but they will likely be producing here rather than importing it from China.
Speaker 5: Julia, I push back.
Speaker 2: On the one single vision a little bit sly because when you look at how the vote went out, Yes, ten came out and supported France here among them, but twelve abstained and a whole number actually voted against, for example Germany. How much behind the scenes work is there now to try and iron this out that they don't have to be imposed.
Speaker 8: I think they're ultimately given the amount of pressure that there has been against the terrorists, amount of negotiation, and the fact that the largest European country have actually voted against. Given all this, the fact that teriffts went through does actually mean that behind the scenes there must be an agreement that even though we continue negotiating, we are going with the tariffs. So it means Europe did decide that the case for local manufacturing is more important than the risk of retaliation from China.
Speaker 3: Julia Transport Environment call themselves the leading advocates for clean energy and transport in Europe, and this morning you published research that basically said these tariffs alone will not save the EV industry in Europe.
Speaker 4: If there is not a refocus.
Speaker 3: I think is fair to say on broader COE two targets and other climate targets. What else is it that you're calling to be done alongside the imposition of these tariffs.
Speaker 8: So tariffs only makes sense in tandem with a broader, stronger climate policy that would push carmakers to actually manufacture locally football electric vehicles as long as the wide industrial policy would. So we need to onshore battery manufacturing. For example, the battery input tariffs into Europe is one percent, while a lot of local companies are struggling. So we also need stronger defense measures there. We need to ramp up charging stations, make it easier for people to charge, for example, simplify the way we connect to the grid. So there's a number of measures that all have to come together, and alongside them, tariffs really help because they give a chance to the European electric vehicle industry.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is ultimately local analysts over in China saying this is going to have a minor impact on the Chinese ev names because when all taken in its totality, their market share just isn't that significant to Europe. So how impactful will this be on imports from Giele from BYD.
Speaker 8: So actually we see that today, given that the US market is closed automately to to Chinese manufacturers, and given the huge over supply and over capacity, to the European market is very important. Some data shows that up to sixty percent today of all global evy experts from China go to Europe, the EU, but of course also the UK and Norwich. So it is a significant market. That's why I think Europe shouldn't be so scared of retaliation. Of course it's the risk, but China also needs Europe, and ultimately, as I said before, we will see the Chinese brands in Europe, but they will manufacture here, they will build batteries here, and hopefully wild the Europeans benefit from them in terms of it and value.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate you sticking with a story throughout for US Transport Environments Senior Director Julia ris Canova sticking with China. Shanghai CSI three hundred index continues to surge. Investors see government stimulus creating an opportunity for firms. Let's discuss all of this and sustainability of the rally. Remergs Isabelle Lee twenty six percent ten days.
Speaker 5: Is this going to continue?
Speaker 10: It's really spectacular. We've seen a wave of buying we've never seen before or at least in decades. We have economists capitulating, we have black Rocks now actually buying in after being long a bear, but who knows. We have Regiev Jane, he's the PM of a twenty five or so billion dollar em and he's saying that this rally will be fleeting. We have the more economists saying that this reminds them somewhat of the twenty fifteen bear crash, So it really I mean, if you rally this fastened, this deep, where will this go? And we have Goldman sac saying that, Okay, obviously this increases the optimism in the market, but it remains another question whether the Beijing will actually implement any of the stimulus.
Speaker 5: So it's really wait.
Speaker 10: And see now, and they will get back from their goals and we Calliday next Tuesday. So I think that's really the determinant.
Speaker 3: Where does China's technology sector fit within this narrative. We've been touching on it with you this week because there is US investor interest in some of those names. But does the same kind of broader philosophy apply.
Speaker 10: I think with a Chinese tech sector, it's kind of like the US tech sector. It's a little bit independent because, if you must recall, the Chinese government approaches that segment very differently in the past couple of years. They've doubled down on it, then they east on it, and that's why you see this kind of optimism. But for this one, it goes beyond that. It's really the whole economy they're definitely trying to really boost the sentiment, and this is why it happened before the holiday, because they have a tendency to do that so that people feel good when they're off for that week or so, so that they spend. And you have data from city groups saying that spending is indeed robust. So I think that's a different approach. But overall this seems to be more of a coordinated measure and there's buy in from the government. This is why banks, like again Goldman Sachs is saying that maybe this is different, but it still remains to be seen before. Now we have really ETFs having their best global flows and we have a lot of that coming from ETFs link to China.
Speaker 3: In beks Isabellie super smart reporting focused on tech.
Speaker 4: Really appreciate it. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Meta it's announced it'll start to actually integrate an AI movie generator similar to open Ai, Sora It's apps maybe sometime in the next year.
Speaker 5: Belue Most Kurt Wagner joins us for more.
Speaker 2: Again, the focus on our AI is relentless over a Meta it has been.
Speaker 11: Right, I mean, it's been this story for Mark Zuckerberg in this company for the whole year for sure, But even just last week, Caroline, You'll remember we were talking about Oriyan, these augmented reality glasses, you know, the ray band, metas their AI powered smart glasses. Now they're coming out with you know, video generated AI product. So this has been a very steady stream of updates from them. That's not, you know, a coincidence. Of course, this has been what Mark Zuckerberg has been talking about for a long time now, and now we're seeing some of the results of all that topic.
Speaker 3: It is a steady stream, and it is interesting because you and I spent two days at Meta last week and this wasn't shown to us, and now they've put it out this morning. But I guess what I'd reflect on is that they are doing all things with open source being at front center. You have a sort of consumer facing technology which you can access through the ray bands or through the application. Then there is the sort of more enterprise and industry leading stuff. Where does the video tech fit in? Are they going off to developers for example?
Speaker 11: So the idea is to eventually make this a consumer product. It will be integrated into their apps with the hope that people will then create more video edit more of their own videos to make them more fun or different and increase sharing. At the same time, they're getting this in the hands of some filmmakers. They wouldn't tell us which ones, but they say they're out partnering with the film industry because they want this to be a complimentary thing, right. The last thing they want is to be seen is going after the movie houses or being a threat to them. They want to work with them. So it's a little bit of a consumer thing, but also something that they're trying to get in the hands of people who do this for a living.
Speaker 2: They've also got to be worried about fake images and ultimately how they show this as AI.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and this is a big reason that they haven't rolled it out in the product just yet, that they're still figuring out some of the safety elements of this. You know, part of the feature here is you could actually upload a picture of yourself, Caroline and say make me into this movie or put me into this movie, and it'll do it. You can imagine the consequences if you're uploading photos of someone else, right, and you're putting them in compromising situations, in appropriate situations. So they are trying to figure out the safety elements of this as they are going. It's a good sign I think that they haven't rolled this out broadly if they haven't figured that out yet, So you know, we'll take that as perhaps a meta growing up a little bit from a year's past.
Speaker 4: Go to my Instagram.
Speaker 3: I use that tool of uploading myself and making something from it, and yeah, you need an imagination. Blue Bes Kurt Wagner, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bluemog Technology. I'm Caroline Hyde in New York and.
Speaker 4: I met love Loow in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Let's just check out on.
Speaker 2: These markets on the weak ed because this week has felt rather long. If you just cast your mind back to the geopolitical tension we were facing at the start of the week, the sell off that we had on Tuesday. We manage somewhat of a bounce back on the nasat one hundred, but we're still lower on the course of the five trading days. Then we get the mega jobs data print today much ahead of basically everyone's expectations.
Speaker 5: More than two are a thousand jobs.
Speaker 2: Added, and we actually managed to sustain a little bit of buying on the equity front, even though we start to dial back on those rate cup bets, move on and have a look at what's.
Speaker 5: Happening on the individual names.
Speaker 2: Was leading from a points perspective is large part in Tesla, even though we see that the EU is voting to put forty five percent tariffs on certain Chinese car makers. Now Tesla of course makes a lot of the cars in China that ships to the EU, but many feeling that they won't be so pointed at Tesla. Maybe there's a bit of a relief rally on our hands, or maybe we're just buying for the sake of buying. We're looking at also Ubisoft up thirty two percent. Now this is the ADRs traded in the US. They were higher over in France as well.
Speaker 5: This is Ubizoft.
Speaker 2: Potentially is a take private target from Tencent and the Guimo family. Reports coming from Blueberg. Lastly, I finishing what's happening on the downside. Rivia new reported of course said that production being cut back and curtailed it hits the stock.
Speaker 5: What have you got?
Speaker 3: Another name that's looking at our country of origin, Robin Hood is exploring an entry into the British market. Is the fintech giant continues to hunt for growth beyond the United States. A few months ago, Robinhood rolled out commission free trading for more than six thousand US listed stocks to UK customers. Now is considering adding UK stocks to the list. Bloomberg's Francine Lacroix caught up with Robinhood's CEO of lad Tenev about the expansion.
Speaker 12: The first priority is making all of the great functionality that we became known for in the US available to UK customers. So margin investing in particular is in the coming weeks.
Speaker 4: There's been a huge demand for.
Speaker 12: Options as well, options on US equities because that's just hard to come by here in the UK market. So we really feel like we can differentiate with US offerings. But of course we're looking ahead to multi currency wallet support and local execution, including the London Stock Exchange at all.
Speaker 5: It's exciting. So in what kind of timeframe?
Speaker 1: I mean, so margin in a couple of weeks, yeah, and then every couple every couple of months, something something more.
Speaker 12: That's the idea. Yeah, every couple of months. I mean, we have a long backlog of things and we're continuing to build new things. So we've talked a little bit about new asset classes that are likely going to come to the US first, like futures trading. But really we think Robinhood can offer a differentiated service for UK investors who want exposure to broader global markets.
Speaker 5: Robinhood's senior lad Tene.
Speaker 2: And while the US is leading the charge in terms of deployment of artificial intelligence, according to KKR's global head of Digital Infrastructure, he told Ballymokes David Weston that a similar playbook is being applied in Europe and Asia Pacific. Bus scale of America's data is a clear strategic element for growth.
Speaker 5: Take a listen.
Speaker 13: So US is definitely, at least from our perspective, well ahead in terms of the deployment of AI. But just to try to quantify the scale of it, US data center market is about a fifteen gigle ad market growing to forty gigabats. European market is about six gigo AID market that's likely going to triple or quadruple over the next four or five years to twenty gigabytes. And then Asia Pacific x China is on a similar trajectory. So the scale is really different between US and those other markets.
Speaker 3: You can catch more of this interview on how to overcome data center hurdles a mid growing demand tonight on Wall Street week at six pm Eastern Time. But data center hurdles not the only challenge to the deployment of AI. Sometimes it's internal struggles within the AI companies themselves. Take open Ai. The startup's been roiled by an exodus of top executives and much of its original brain trust. The company today bears little resemblance to its earlier self. This is its CEO, Sam Altman, is increasingly concentrating power. I want to bring in Bloomboa's Rachel Metz, who had the deep dive. And I guess a picture says a thousand words is the most appropriate idiom, because if you put the pictures of the faces of all the people that started open ai one against the other, you cross out those that have gone and those that are left, it's just three people and one of them's on a sabbatical.
Speaker 4: What have you learned?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean there were a lot of people at the start of this company. There were actually eleven of them, and now we're down to sort of three. We have two people actively working at the company. Sam Altman. Of course and Voyjexamember and Greg Brockman is currently on leave until the end of the year. So it's been a big change. I mean, and they're C suite as well has also changed and evolved. They changed over a lot of people and a lot of people have left, and then they've also expanded the number of people that they have in their C suite over the past year. What I really wanted to do with this story was just kind of look at how things have changed over time and sort of where all the power is going at this company.
Speaker 2: Does the power residing in fewer hands mean they are able to iterate to innovate faster because it doesn't feel as though anything's been stopped in terms of the tidal wave of new innovations coming from open Ai despite the internal struggles.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so a lot has changed both internally and sort of like from the outside looking in at the company over the past year since Sam Altman, the CEO, was briefly ousted and then returned, they had a lot of staff changeover. Also, just the number of employees there is more than double what it was late last year. It's at about seventeen hundred people at this point, So you see these changes, and then you also see more people are reporting to Sam. I mean he said that publicly, so there's a bit of a flattening of the organization there. And then they are pushing out these products, one after the other after the other. There was one yesterday. Actually they just keep coming, so you know, the push towards commercialization. There is an internal consolidation and the power, and it just shows that this company is really trying to move toward making more money, becoming a larger company, becoming more of like a corporate technology company.
Speaker 5: Rachel Matt's busy life. We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, coming up, we're going to be joined by Vinodekosla on open AI's internal changes. But it's massive funding round and of course the future impact on society.
Speaker 5: This is really the technology.
Speaker 3: Open Ai just closed its latest round and it was a historic one. In today's VC Spotlight, we're joined by the founder of Coastal Adventures, which has a history with open Ai.
Speaker 4: Of its own. It wrote the first check into.
Speaker 3: Open ai and is participating in this round as well. Vino Kosler joins us now, and that's where I want to start. We've discussed many times. You wrote the first check into open Ai. What was the rationale behind participating in this round And we've gone over the numbers, how big they are, and why it is historic.
Speaker 6: Well, the reason to put spate is because I'm pretty optimistic about the impact that I can have in all parts of society. It's very, very large over the next ten or fifteen years. So if you're a long term investor, as I am, it makes sense.
Speaker 3: You have a fiduciary duty to your LPs and you are a long term investor. And as always I always put on social media that you're coming on the show, and many people in the Bloomberg Technology audio and say ah does denote coastless sense that an IPO is coming for open Ai, and so he's got into this round in preparation for that.
Speaker 6: We haven't discussed an IPO. The structure today isn't set up for an IPO.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about that structure.
Speaker 2: Have you been discussing turning into a b court, deciding to be more for profit?
Speaker 6: Well, Sam has publicly discussed changing the structure without talking about the specifics, and that's probably all I can say. I think it's a good idea for this company to set up to be set up.
Speaker 15: To raise more money when needed.
Speaker 6: I think the way perspective on opening I is over the last two years crap twenty years of rapid growth in revenue into two years.
Speaker 15: When you have that kind of growth from.
Speaker 6: Almost no revenue to billions of revenue as has been reported, you want to be set up and you will need to consume capital, especially in data centers and some other training centers, etc. So the perspective you should take is twenty years of growth in a normal startup in two years and rapid growth you would expectancye changes.
Speaker 5: Internal as well.
Speaker 2: How have you felt about the fact that the founding team that you first invested in looks very different now from the team that leads the business apart from Sam.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the team looks different, but it's very strong technical team and what has been happening is streamlining it for rapid movement. As you know, the company has been producing products at a blitz kind of pace. Very few competitors have been able to keep up with the wide range of products in pretty significant capability that the company has dwell up. And I think the key in this race is to beat the competition, not worry about others. And frankly grow revenue very rapidly, and which is usage very rapidly.
Speaker 3: Then last month you wrote in your blog a piece titled AI Dystopian or Utopian.
Speaker 4: I read it. It's a long.
Speaker 3: Read, but in conclusion you see a path to AI unlocking wealth that is basically held by less than a billion people being extended to nearer to seven eight billion people through AI. That the bit that was missing from the piece I felt is how does open AI get us there?
Speaker 4: You are very focused on open AI, I guess.
Speaker 3: As a leader in getting human access to artificial technology, artificial intelligence technology.
Speaker 4: Forgive me.
Speaker 6: Well, what I spoke to in this piece is AI in address some of the critics concerns about the dystopian thing that might happen, and I'm not saying there's no risk, but I address all of them fairly specifically, and then talk about the abundance it can provide. It's the most important tool we've had in human history for creating abundance and creating a fairer, more equitable, more well off society. The company that wins in AI will lead this race. I suspect more than one player will be participating, so it's not just open ay, But I'm very very bullish. Open Ai is executing extremely well on product, which is what matters, and on revenue growth. So I'm excited for openI as being a leader, but probably one of the leaders in this.
Speaker 5: Race to be a leader.
Speaker 2: Do you think Sam should take equity himself in the company.
Speaker 6: That's for the board to decide. I do think Sam deserves something for what he's done, but it's.
Speaker 15: Not his highest priority. As far from his highest priority.
Speaker 3: You know, what is your assessment so far of Sarah Fryer? My understanding standing speaking to some of your peers and colleagues in industry, is that she prepared a pretty straightforward presentation that tried to educate those that didn't have as clear an understanding of the path forward and business model, and actually a lot of investors got it. They looked at the presentation and went, Okay, we're on board with this.
Speaker 4: What was your reaction to her and to that, Well.
Speaker 15: I've known Sarah for a long time.
Speaker 6: I was on the board of Square now Blocked when she was cfour there, so I've had a long relationship with Sarah. She You're exactly right, she prepared a chrisp It was simple, straightforward said here's where we are today, Here's where we expect to be a year from now.
Speaker 15: Much more than that is not that predictable.
Speaker 6: Interest compelling Obviously its compelling to me.
Speaker 15: Otherwise we wouldn't have invested.
Speaker 2: And what's interesting is you say, look, it won't be the only one, but you want it to be the leading player. There was some consternation Veno that within the documentation there was a push that anyone who backs open Ai can't back its competitors in the future.
Speaker 5: Is that normal?
Speaker 2: Is that something that you want to see in such documents.
Speaker 6: You know, in very large bets, this is pretty normal, and it isn't a requirement.
Speaker 15: It's not a legal commitment.
Speaker 6: It's a mutual understanding, and we operate a lot on trust. So investors committed to get behind Opening Eye and not its competitors.
Speaker 15: And that's pretty no word.
Speaker 4: Especially at this skill, Venod.
Speaker 3: I'd like to end our conversation by just talking about technology. Every day I have a conversation with chat GPT four to oh voice input, or I talked to Meta AI through the ray bands, and sometimes my wife looks at me baffled, and or in the street in San Francisco or my colleagues here in the bureau. And I say all that to ask the question of when you think the tipping point is that the large body of people out there either understand how they're supposed to be using this daily or believe that they should be using it daily.
Speaker 15: Well, they now put my email address on my business.
Speaker 6: Card in the eighties and had a dinner with my business school friends. They laughed at me all nine. So I'm familiar things. I'm bearing the AirPods, which would have seemed strange. So people do adjust. It's some people are just faster. I think what the question you have to ask, is chat cibuty useful to you? And it's extremely useful to me in a wide range of casts. And yeah, it's generally useful to me very broadly. Even my Tesla driving is incredibly valuable to me. So that's all AI, And so focus on what's useful, not the perception of it, and in the end it will spread everywhere if it's actually useful to more people.
Speaker 2: Quick last on what's your favorite thing currently to use chat shibut for.
Speaker 6: Oh wide range from following scientific stuff. I participated in a scientific meeting where I didn't have a background. It was extremely useful in interpreting things that were being said for me.
Speaker 15: I also used it to design my garden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there we go. Well, if the orchids are anything to go by, it's pretty great garden. No, Kosler, we appreciate it. Founder A Coasler Ventures, Japanese also make a Toyota when it's boosted its investment in Joby Aviation by five hundred million dollars, bringing its total investment in the air taxi manufacturer to eight hundred and ninety four million dollars. Here to discuss is Joben ever Joby Aviation CEO, who's had a.
Speaker 5: Busy few days. You're getting male money.
Speaker 2: You're putting your aircraft in Grand Central in New York so people can see it, understand how it works, what it's like to sit inside. What does the Toyota partnership bring you? What nuts and bolts are they actually doing behind the scenes with you.
Speaker 16: So Toyta's an incredible investor. They've been with us for seven years now, first Toyota Ventures, then Toyda Motor Corporation, and that when they did the investment in twenty nineteen. They send engineers that are working shoulder to shoulder with our team in California. That's been an absolute game changer. Last year we agreed to a part supply agreement with Toyota, where Toyta's making incredible, really high quality parts for aircraft, parts for our motors, and actuators for our battery systems. They've been incredible, and now with this next five million dollar investment, they're leaning in even more.
Speaker 4: And one of the.
Speaker 16: Key things we have this dream of taking this and making it something accessible to everyone. And Toyta is known around the world for making incredible cars with spectacular reliability and safety.
Speaker 5: But why won't the chairman get in one of Toyota? Like how much are you.
Speaker 2: Managing to convince him and others that this is the safe and very real way to travel.
Speaker 16: We are really excited about that, and he's really excited about that. He asked me every time I meet with him, when can I get in and fly?
Speaker 3: Okay, Joe Ben, I'm super interested in the future of this industry in Japan and the adoption there.
Speaker 4: I think you're supposed to next.
Speaker 3: Month even demo some tech right do you see it superseding United States for ev toll?
Speaker 16: We see spectacular lean in from countries around the world, the regulators around the world. Just this morning you heard the FA administrator say that he expected certification as early as next year and that this technology was going to have as large an impact as cell phones and automobiles have had on our lives. And so just having lean in from regulators like that from JCAB in Japan is just a dream come true. I've been working on this for more than fifteen years, and the momentum we're seeing in this industry has never been greater.
Speaker 3: Toyotes is going to do lithium ion out of Greensboro, North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Are they going to supply you? You're going to buy lithium ion for them.
Speaker 16: The investments that Toyda's make making in North Carolina are just spectacular. The advances they're making in batteries are phenomenal. They've been investing in hydrogen propulsion, which is going to be the next age for aviation propulsion. So across the board, we could not dream of a better supplier than the world's number one automotive company, Toyota. I'd also like to highlight that last night we had uber Ceo Dara in Grand Central Station with US, and it is just spectacular to have the number one automotive company, the number one ride sharing company, and the number one airline with Delta, who's also one of our investors and strategic partners. Jobe is just continuing to deliver day after day and year after year, and it's so wonderful to have incredible partners like we do alongside us.
Speaker 5: I ask again, when will I be in it?
Speaker 16: So we brought our aircraft here to New York this last fall, and we're able to show the community not just how fast and efficient this new mode of transportation will be, but also how quiet it is. Is critical to opening up new takeoff and landing locations, so we're working with the port authority here to get verteports permitted at JFK Loguardia Newark and to be able to build these best in class experiences. We're looking forward to providing trips to upstate New York and connecting the entire region.
Speaker 5: All eyes on the regulators.
Speaker 2: Then, joe Vin Vivette, we thank you Job Aviation CEO that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Grecap on the pod. You know exactly where to find it from New York and s. This is Bloomberg Technology,