Speaker 1: H and Welcome into another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network Detroit Tigers podcast. I'm Kieren Steckley with me as always is a couple of fellas that are walking heat waves. Cody Stavenhagen, Austin Jackson. What's up, guys? How are we doing?
Speaker 2: Cute? I like that. I like that. I'm gonna use it. That's bars, bro, I like that. I like that. Let's get it going then if you're gonna get you on that.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, we haven't had a lot of good vibes this year. We're recording on the Monday night Tigers win in the Bronx. We at least for a few minutes here, we're gonna have some good vibes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah that that that start was hot. Let's be honest, you know, like the Tigers, Like, you know, Austin, you're in Cleveland right now, But I didn't know that the Tigers were actually the Guardians and Tigers uniforms tonight at Yankee Stadium because all those things that I like, you know, jokingly like hate about the Guardians. That's like, how do they keep getting away with this? You know, just no real power and situational hitting, and like just of course the other team makes an error, you know, all these things that you almost feel like never happened to the Tiger, like happened for the Tigers tonight against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium of all places. Like I said, seven to three, they were up seven to nothing early, Chase Ryan Weathers in the second ending, right, and like it was like this lineup. I'm gonna read this lineup for everybody just to kind of, you know, put it in perspective, because this was not a I would say this was not a reader's choice lineup when when it got released. Matt Verling leading off, Dylan Dingler, Kevin McGonagall. It's gotta be the first time he's hit three hole, Cody, or maybe one or two other times, torklsen Lee, Jami Jones, who obviously got pinch it for Kerry Carpenter pretty soon, Zach McKinstry, Ben Maljerry, and James Outman. I don't really think I saw a five spot, but in two innings on that lineup, Cody, what about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's what happens when you get Riley Green a day off and we've seen why he had played in every game up to this point. I think it's great that Riley got a little day off, and yeah, man, you never know it's baseball yet. Bats seemed pretty good right out of the gate, if nothing else. I mean, they ended up striking out nine times on the night, but there was a lot of contact. There was a lot of ball and play. Some of them were well struck. Some of them weren't all that well struck, but sometimes ball and play is your friend. They put a lot of pressure on the Yankees get Ryan Weathers out of the game. A really good night for the Tigers, and we haven't even talked about the best part of the night, which was which was Casey Mice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll get to him in a second. But I did want to make note that this has to be a record. I didn't go and look this up. It would take a while to look this up, but in the Hinch era, to have four left handed hitters get a hit off a lefty, So that was James Altman, Ken McGonagall carry Corporate during Zach mckinstory that it has to be some sort of modern Tigers record because you're just not getting that many at bats Leftyon left, you know, in the Hinch era. So again, even McKinstry with the fifty four mile an hour, like you know, exit velocity basin, everything was working for them tonight. The only blemish obviously Drew Sims finally allowing you know, not really find the zone, allowing a home run there.
Speaker 3: I gotta give a couple of tips to the cap things I've been, you know, either skeptical of or whatever.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: We've talked a lot about how you lee?
Speaker 2: How do you lee?
Speaker 3: Continues to just do good things. Man, it's in three sixty with the five forty slug in the month of June again, like the babbit's probably a little a little too high to be sustained. You'd still like the walk rate to go up. All that good stuff. But student's out here just hitting the ball. He's using all fields now, he's making plays. We won't talk about that. Slide. Guy really deserves a lot of credit, like we are. I don't know what he I'll be fascinated to see how we're talking about how you lee in two years. I don't know what's going to look like, but we're gonna see a lot of kid And then carry carpenter left on left like everyone, you know, why do they pinch it? Why are they still pinching Jamai? You know, I've said one thing Karp has to do a little better, even against right handed pictures is control the strike zone. And when he has seen lefties throughout his career, he hasn't been very good. So, like it's a little tough to justify more left handed at bats. You'd like to at least see better signs. Tonight we saw some signs. It's a ball to the wall, It takes a walk and then drives one the opposite the opposite way. So really good night for Karp against left handed batters or left handed pitchers, more than we've seen from our boy Jami against left handed pitchers recently. So two tips of the cap there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he just needs to fill, like you gotta let him fail a little bit, you know, like you can't get too caught up in like just those numbers being that the tailltale sign of everything. I mean, lefties on lefties, Like they gonna have to fill a little bit, you know, right, he see right, he's a lot and they get the opportunity to fail because there's just more righties.
Speaker 2: But hey, man, you're just gonna have to get You're gonna give.
Speaker 4: Him the opportunity to fail because you know that eventually when he gets enough at bats, hey, he's gonna he's gonna he's gonna make the adjustment. I think he'll make the adjustment. And he has the opportunity to hit with power. So if he's able to, you know, get those opportunities to fail a little bit and just get his timing and get his rhythm and being able to see a lefty more often, Hey, I would take my chances with him, you know, probably more than I would take any with anybody else.
Speaker 1: So well, not only that, but especially in Yankee Stadium, which which I'm curious a Jax like, does it does does that outfield like feel as shrunk as it looks on TV? Like when you're when you're playing it, when either as a hitter or just like in the outfield, like it just it seems it seems kind of Little League when you're watching it on TV with without the walls seem I don't know, But when you're out in the field, how does it feel?
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't feel like that at all. Honestly, maybe down the lines a little bit, but when you when you take into factor like the gaps and center field and where like it's big.
Speaker 2: It's bigger than it looks.
Speaker 4: I know the lines and then you know what the dimensions say, but you know when you're out there, when you're in it, I don't know, there's something about it, man, where it feels bigger than what the numbers with the dimension say, especially the gaps, like it just feels huge. Like I've never had this impression of Yankee Stadium being small. I get it that you know, right field you can poke one out there.
Speaker 2: Left field, you know, you pull it down the line.
Speaker 4: I just never got that impression when I was playing there, and honestly, when I was hitting there, I never I never felt like it was small. And maybe it was because all the other things that you got to take in the factor, like when you look down the line you see the triple deck and you see you just see it's just more and maybe it plays a little you know, trick on the eyes as a hitter, and then you know when you're out there on defense, like I said, when you're out there in center field playing you know my position, mostly like it was just it was just it just felt bigger. And I think that just play, you know, it's more about how that stadium is built and when you're out there, you just when you're in it, it just feels it feels a lot bigger than what the dimensions say. And I and you know, there's there's rumors that those dimensions are a lot shorter.
Speaker 2: Than what they actually say. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Some people have hit it with a you know, with a with a gun out there. You know, we got a lot of golfriends out there and get on the gun and they're like, yo, I don't think as you know, but we'll be we'll be hushed us about that because I don't even know we're supposed to be talking about that.
Speaker 2: But anyway, just you know, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But again to your to your point, Karen, like, no, it doesn't feel like that.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 4: I never got that impression of like, man, this feels like a pop until somebody hits one right and then you realize like, oh that ball got out quicker than it would have in any other ballpark. But it doesn't feel like that though. I don't know why, and I think it's just because the gaps. The gaps was it's like three ninety nine left center, and I think it's like three eighty.
Speaker 2: Three eighty five or something right center. That's that's pretty deep.
Speaker 4: And then what I don't know, four hundred to center field that I mean, that's that's pretty that's that's deep. Like it feels. It feels a lot deeper than you have to really get one as variety the left center field to get one out. So it just never felt like a small ballpark to me until somebody.
Speaker 2: Here won the right obviously the right field. Then you realize, like, okay, you know what I mean, Like I get.
Speaker 3: It, it's really just the right field line that's the short.
Speaker 1: Actually backed up by numbers. It's back up by the numbers because Dan Dickerson pointed this out on the radio tonight, Like you know, the home runs are you know, like above average is a home run ballpark, you know down the lines for all the reasons we understand, but like run scoring is not like you would think those things would be directly related, but they're actually not. In the case of Yankee Stadium, I think it's like a very medium run scoring ballpark. For I'm sure the reasons that you late laid out there. So and that's another thing too, Speaking of the home run, we didn't see a Tiger's home run today. And I don't know if anybody caught this on the radio broadcast, but this is only I think the fifth game the Tigers have won this year without hitting a home run. You know, they're like five and whatever, twenty three, you know, I can't remember the exact numbers, and then they're like thirty one and twenty one or you know, don't do the math on that. That just get the gist of it there when they do hit a home run. So among the other kind of weird things about this game, if you will, the outlier stuff, that was one of them. All Right, we're gonna get to a quick break and then afterward we are going to get to the man of the hour, Casey Mince. But first a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 5: People, dehydration sucks. Quint's electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 6: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 5: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about, not only a product that tastes great, but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's q U I n ce dot com slash f o u L for free shipping in three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Feud and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, street court or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: I just want to make note that Aj we talked about it last time, Cody, but AJ just met the Pope and he's doing ads for hangover cure. So I just think that's a cool thing. Uh, one of the one of the make note of that, all right, Casey Mice, Casey Mice. I mean, the weirdness and the uniqueness of this game probably pushed Casey Mice further back in this episode than really he deserved because he was excellent tonight. Seven innings what was it? One above the minimum ten k's. He gave up one hit. It was a double to uh to Spencer and did not advance past second base at Spencer, So uh, one of those. Another reminder. We talk a lot about like being repetitive, and it's like, you know, the Fromber thing and like you know all the Jack Flaherty all this stuff. Here's another repetitive, but in a better way. Casey Miies has been dealing this entire season and will probably end up being the victim reputationally of this like poor Tigers record, because he should be getting talked about a hell of a lot more with the way he's pitched this season, and that includes recovering from two il stints with the with the lower body there Cody, Casey is dealing.
Speaker 3: Casey Mayes was absolutely fantastic Monday Night. That goes without saying was it the best game of his career, like probably so, I think it was easily the most dominant. I mean, he was just dialed in all night long. The splitter on some of the very best we have ever seen that pitch move. He had it consistently. He was commanding the fastball. These are things we've seen him do much of the year, and that's that's what's been the greatest thing, is how he's putting the gather outing after outing. Even Yeah, with kind of a broken season with the il Stins, this game was almost a microcosma of that. We almost didn't get to fully appreciate his dominance because the innings were so long when the Tigers were batting, between stringing together runs, between an injury delay, all those things. So Casey had to overcome that too. He was sitting in the dugout for a long time and then he would get right back out there and just absolutely shove. Yeah. I mean, he's been stellar this season. I don't know how much we want to go into like trade deadline talk. If the Tigers do end up sellers, it'll be kind of fascinating to see what sort of return they maybe could get four Casey mines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you also do got to remember like how you know the Yankee Stadium can like it can it can shock a lot of young players, right like it can that aura of that stadium and what that kind of creates for teams, even just like a pitcher, like you can create this like aura this like ah, like they kind of freeze up. It didn't do it that that that had no effect on him, and like and it was like.
Speaker 3: Really there before anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but you know it's still still it doesn't matter, like it doesn't matter how many times you've been there, how many times you you know, like there is that when you step into that stadium. Man, like even if you've been there, like cause I've been there, I've been there where you step in there and it's like oh shoot, like I gotta remember where I'm at.
Speaker 2: It didn't affect him.
Speaker 4: That was like cool to see though, Like to see like that that confidence on the mound, like to see the conviction and in the pitches, to see like the confidence and and him execute pitches like him to mixing pitches in different counts like that was really cool to see, Like it it didn't affect him, and you know, I've seen that many and many of times to pictures, even veteran pictures where it looks like they they were affected by the moment, by by the yan key aura like I'm gonna call it that by the yankee or where they like they were affected by the moment.
Speaker 2: And he did. He wasn't.
Speaker 4: He went in there, he pitched his butt off like he didn't care who was who he was facing, He didn't care what the count was.
Speaker 2: He threw the pitches that he wanted, He executed the pitches that he wanted, He put pitches where he wanted to in each and every count.
Speaker 4: It was it was cool to see and that's like the dominance that he's capable of, and he's a good one having that pitch in rotation, Like it's cool to see him be back and be healthy and be have that confidence again.
Speaker 1: And the arsenal was on full displays. As you said, Cody, again, I just want to reiterate this for a second, ten strikeout, zero walks. He you know, obviously you go seven innings only eighty eight pitches, like he was in control this entire game. And and to Ajax point, I kind of thought like like if you watch him and you didn't have the score bug on the TV, you would have thought, like it's a one nothing game, it's three to two, you know whatever. Like he he had an intensity about him that definitely did not reflect being up five five nothing that early game, seven nothing. Eventually the entire time that he was out there, they're up, you know, like big so Like that was one of the things that really stood out to me. I really do believe we're seeing a different level like was at his best outing. I don't know that that doesn't doesn't necessarily do anything for me, but it does, like it does feel like we're seeing a more complete, uh and dialed in version of Casey Miiz that we haven't seen just because of injuries and general inconsistencies with being an up and coming player, uh peaking at the right time or the wrong time, putting on your perspective.
Speaker 2: But he is.
Speaker 1: He is awesome. Like if I was Brian Cashman, I'd be like, I don't know if I really wanted to leave the Bronx, you know, like like.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see him though, I don't know if I want to see this dude late and you know when when his cross time, you know what I mean that to me. That's how I look at it. Like he wasn't scared, like he he grabbed him. He grabbed him tonight and he grabbed both of them. It was like, let's go.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, especially with the blowout piece of this. I know, Cody, you touched on it, but like like the the long sit downs and then again to maintain that intensity. Uh, it felt like any like you know, balls out of hand were on purpose and the Yankees were still not being able to pick it up, you know, and then with the tight slider and and and all this stuff. So like Casey mais you know, flowers to you hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he really could be like a fascinating trade piece because he's a free agent for this year. Starting pitchers are always in demand, so if we get there in the Tigers sellers, that's going to be a thing. I think the injury history could maybe give teams a little bit of pause. It's also eligible for a qualifying offer at the end of the year, so there's going to be a pretty high bar for what the Tigers are trying to get back in return the way he's paid right now, Like could this could he met you? I don't know, A fringe top one hundred prospect. I would kind of think that's what I'd be asking for. You know, it's not impossible Casey might is going to finish this season with a lower e er than Derek Scuoble. He doesn't quite have the presence, the aura that the can like well recently he's had the consistent dominance, but the track record of Schooble. But like there's a lots of like the athletic you know, we had we had a big board and they put him I think, is like the seventh or eighth best starting pitcher available, and I would disagree with that. I think he's got to be in the top five if not, you know, if not higher the way he's been pitching lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but you know, the trade stuff has to kind of be like part of like on our mind just because of you know, that's the reality of the situation. But on a day like today, it's hard to just kind of get gung ho about maybe you get a fringe one hundred top one hundred prospect for Casey Maiz because this was as disappointing as the weekend was. The blowing of the late leads, and of course the only blemish was a bullpen, you know, runs given up by the bullpen tonight, like like as disappointing as the results were, one of the things that we talked about is like you had the five get that you had a five to five home stand and you had a plus whatever four or five run differential, and so like it kind of clouded the fact that overall the Tigers had been playing like good baseball. They just kind of been on the wrong end of some stuff, and I was on a day that they were on the right end of things. And then the other piece of this being that the Tigers actually have the most wins in the American League against teams above five hundred and not the best percentage, but they had the most wins. Today was the twentieth win against the team above five hundred for the Tigers. The Rays have eighteen, I believe, his second most wins, and the Rangers have a better a slightly better percentage. All I have to say, I don't know what to do with this team, how to think what's the right approach. All I know is that I want to take as long as I can and to figure out what I have here before making any decisions, which makes any trade talks premature because again there's enough there to think, I mean, what if what if I don't know.
Speaker 2: What if what they?
Speaker 1: What if they what if they can win some damn games? Hey jacks? What if they can win some damn games?
Speaker 4: But they go they need to win some games and that that's the the you know, bottom line is they need to win some games, and they need to win multiple of games.
Speaker 2: They don't need to just string together a few games.
Speaker 4: I need to have this consistency of games that they're winning, you know, like they can't have these these little hot streaks and you know, and then go on these colde streaks.
Speaker 2: They got to get hot.
Speaker 4: They got to get hot, and they need to get hot quick, and they need to you know, establish themselves as the dominant team in this division because if not, then they're just gonna be of riding this little, this little wave.
Speaker 2: You know that they are.
Speaker 4: It's like you see them as you know what they're capable of, but they just haven't like quite like shown it yet. And whether it's just injuries and you know, just getting everybody healthy again, Schoobo just being like he's coming back, is he is he healthy?
Speaker 2: Is he not healthy.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they trading them or they not trade them. Who knows who. We don't know what's going on with that. But like they just need to they need to prove that they're the dominant team. And it's and all that's gonna come down to is winning games. There's nothing else. You know, we can talk about all these other things, whether they're gonna trade people or not. Who are they gonna be? Are you gonna be the team that's gonna be the you know, the dominant team in this division? And you know, make this unreal comeback. We we don't know. Only time can tell with that. But are they gonna be sellers? Are they gonna you know, what are they gonna do? They're gonna have to They're gonna have to show their face here in a minute because the rest of the division is not They're they're not worried about what the Tigers are doing right now, you know, they're they're stead of playing there instead of winning games, Like the Tiger's gonna have to come with it.
Speaker 2: They're gonna start winning some games. They're gonna just start.
Speaker 4: Winning some series. You ain't gonna win every single game, but hey, you're gonna start have to win some series. You're gonna start coming. You're gonna start being consistent with wins. You know, you can't have these these little streaks of winning and then have all these these streaks of losing. You gotta you gotta be consistent with the with the winning. And that's just what it is. There's no there's no magical thing to to make it, you know, to make it happen. It's just it is what it is. It's gotta happen, Gotta win games.
Speaker 3: Gotta hope it just started. Gotta hope it started Monday night. You're about to see Cam Schlittler on Tuesday, which I'm really excited for that game. Slitler Ver scooball. But you want to prove this is for real. You want to prove you have something in the tank. Maybe go hit the best picture in the American League right now and start making a case for yourself. We've talked about it that Nazi, but like it has to start tonight, it has to start yesterday. It probably should have started before now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have nothing else to add on that. You guys are hundre percent right. All right, we are going to take a quick break, and then afterward we're gonna talk to Ajax about the key to keeping the body fresh throughout the year, because that's a theme with McGonagall. And then we finally got an off day for Riley, so scene's pretty relevant. So that and more after this break.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's Fair dot com slash podcast to opt in for Daily Dingers. Make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: All right, coming back here. You know, one of the themes for much of the season, especially with that pitiful May that the Tigers had, is that like, look, you have Dylan Dingler, who's a stud best catcher in baseball, and you want to, you know, give him off days, give him some rest days, but you just can't afford to have his baton on the lineup. Riley Green, he just can't afford to not have his bat in the lineup. He finally got a rest day on Monday. And then Kevin McGonagall like, you don't want this rookie wall to be to be a thing when you're really gotta win some games. As we just discussed so uh so Ajax, Like what is the key to body maintenance? Like you know, the heat wave is coming across the United States right now, Like what's the key to body maintenance and staying fresh and all those things to you know, get you through the rigors of one hundred and sixty two, you know, plus whatever else you know might come after that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you got to use the resources that are available to you, the team resources, right, like your trainers, you have physical therapists, you have strength trainers, you.
Speaker 2: Have mental coaches.
Speaker 4: You have to use all of the resources that are available to you. You know, I certainly use those and that's that's the key to keeping the body fresh.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: You have to use your strength, your strength coach. You got to make sure that your you know, your strength is you're keeping your strength up throughout the one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 4: You know, you do all this work in the off season, but the body breaks down. The body breaks down, and you know, you need the proper strength training to keep the strength up throughout the season. You need the nutritionists to make sure you're getting the right the proper foods in you to have the energy and all that thing and a lot of that stuff like it's available. You just have to use it. You know, you have to make sure you're using it. Sometimes you get so caught up in the daily riggers, the daily like, Okay, what do I need to go in here and study and work on my swing and do that. But there's there's so much other things other than that that you have to focus on.
Speaker 2: But we forget. We forget about it.
Speaker 4: Honestly, we forget that we need to take the time to focus on our body. Are stretching, man, I wish I would have focused on my just stretching. Dudes are doing pilates and things like that, and I was like, eh, pilates.
Speaker 2: I got Chris Sell pitching. I need to figure out how to hit his slider like that can stretch for what stretch? I can't even hit?
Speaker 4: You know, Like, ain't nobody worried about my my flexibility when I can't hit a slider, you know, coming from a left most.
Speaker 2: Be able to hit a left east. So I need to focus on getting the left efore I be at home. You know what I'm saying. But no, it's it's serious.
Speaker 4: It's just just so much that guys have to focus on and that we have to you know, we have to did we realize that we did? We have to have throughout the you know, the stretch of one hundred and sixty two games. So it's a lot like we can really get into it, but you just, you know, the main thing is guys using the resources each and every day because this is.
Speaker 2: Daily you know, the game of baseball is daily.
Speaker 4: So it's not just like oh, I'm gonna I'm gonna do this, you know, one day and not doing it the next day. And that's one thing that I wish I would have really honed into, is like the daily routine of doing these things, Like it's not just one day and then taking a few days off. It's it's literally daily for the for the entire for the entirety of the season. It's it's the the nutrition, is the lifting and the strength, it's the physical therapy, it's the mental coaching.
Speaker 2: It's it's all of it.
Speaker 4: So that's what it really takes to to be able to compete at that level.
Speaker 2: Is it's. It's it's all of it.
Speaker 4: You know, it's really you know, you see you hear about guys like Lebron like spending a lot of money on their bodies, like that's where they're able to play that long. You know, it sounds crazy, but like you know, you got to do it. You have to do these things daily. It's it has to become a routine. And so to your point herean like or to answer your question, like, it's it's it's all of it. It's nauseum it's it's it's you get tired of it, you know, And I got tired of it at the end of my career where I was like, dude, like this is like I'm I'm going in early to get swelling out of my knee. After the game, I'm going in and doing things to get swelling out of my knee. It's a lot that people don't see on a daily basis that you have to do to stay out on the field and perform at a high level. So you know, it's it's just it's a routine. It's a routine that people don't see, Kieran. It's just the before the game and after the game, and even when you're at the field, there's there's certain.
Speaker 2: Things that you have to do.
Speaker 4: And these are things I'm talking about Karan that that's not like the baseball stuff. This is things to keep the body and ready, right Like, these are things to keep the body ready to be able to go out there and perform. So the things that people don't see, and like I said, I can get on it. It's it's a whole list of things. But the things I mentioned, man, is these are things that you have to do to be prepared for one hundred and sixty two games, because you're not just preparing for these regular season games like a team like the Tigers, they're preparing.
Speaker 2: Themselves for a postseason.
Speaker 4: That's the capability that they have is to be playing postseason games.
Speaker 2: That's what they expect.
Speaker 4: So these things have to be done to be able to play postseason baseball.
Speaker 3: I wrote about Riley Green a while back, but he's been like the poster Tyler for all of this.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: He was talking first couple of years in the big league just kind of did whatever, just his thing, show and go. Wasn't rolling out on the foam roller, which now he does every single day, you know, And it wasn't always like being ir responded. Was like he would get home, he'd get in bed, and then he'd scroll in his phone for a couple hours. All right, most of us probably do that, right, And then he realized, oh, I was up until three am scrolling on my phone. If I want to play every single day, stay healthy, put the phone down, just go to bed man. And those are things he kind of learned the hard way. And now look at him. He's played in all but one game. He's you know, some people close to him told him like, dude, just spin whatever you have to spin to take care of your body. You're probably gonna make that back in.
Speaker 1: The long run.
Speaker 3: So he got some like expensive like heating cooling bed system that I googled, and now I'm getting spammed with ads for this thing I definitely cannot afford, and I would not make that back.
Speaker 2: On the end.
Speaker 3: So maybe maybe a little better sleep, I'd become unstoppable. But it's it's good. It's a reminder, like, that's good perspective, Austin, because I think it's really hard for anyone who hasn't done it, like myself included, sometimes easy to forget just how hard it is to post everything. I was thinking today, Tigers just had a ten game homestand you know, I didn't have to play in the games, but I was at all of them ten days a row. It gets kind of hard. I felt terrible today. I was like, what if I had to play a game in Yankee Stadium under the lights, under the pressure. That would suck. But that's what these guys go through all the time. It's tough.
Speaker 4: Hey, Cody, let me tell you this is how naive I was, though, Like I didn't even know that other players were doing this, like until I probably got five or six years into the league. Like I'm doing what you're what you're saying, Like I'm going home, I'm on the game. I'm chilling like I was young too, don't get me wrong. Like I bounced back like none of the Like I didn't necessarily I'm not going to say I necessarily didn't need it, but I just bounced back really quickly, you know. But until I got to Chicago the Cubs, and you know Dexter Fowler, Like I went to his room one night and he you know, I go in and I see this big old white tube in the corner, you know, like and I'm like, what is going on with that? And He's like, oh, that's my hyperbaric chamber. And mind you, mind you. We're on the road, okay, this is the thing. We're on the road, Like, bro, what is that? Like I are some of them hyperbaric chamber But anyways, and I'm like, no, no, no, hold up, the time out you get in.
Speaker 2: The tea, what is that in the corner? This hyper chairman? It helps me recover? It helps you? What?
Speaker 4: Yeah me and you are done? I need to get in that thing because I can barely walk. What do you what do you talk? So but but it's the the fact of the matter. Our guys are doing this, and Dextra Fowler had a long career, he had a long, you know, successful career. And then you think about it, You're like, man, these guys are doing things like this to help them recover. You know what I'm saying, Like, it's it's a big it's a difference. It's his difference in the way that you're able to perform each and every day a freaking hyperbaric chamber on the road, dude, you know, on the road.
Speaker 3: I feel sorry for the clubb who had to pack that thing up all the time.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I don't know what to tell you. I throw you a couple of extra hunts. You're fine, chamber, You're good, You're fine. You're gonna eat well, you're gonna eat the Niceta tonight.
Speaker 1: So well, how much of this is like how much of this is now like coached, and how much of this is like individ like self starting, you know, for for each individual player. So he laid out the Riley green stuff. I'm sure he was told, you know, like, hey, this is like, you know, something you ought to be and you know that. Unfortunately, the Tigers were in the news with Wetzel Paraz like he was doing a post game stretch routine and you know, got you know, hit him something the eye with the rubber band, But that was him doing stuff for his body right to uh you know, to make sure that he could handle the rigors of a season. And so uh So that's one of the things that I I guess, like if I were to think what separates like good organizations from not as serious organizations as how much of these guys are kind of being told they have to do this, you know, to a certain extent. They're all grown men. They can they got they can do whatever the hell they want, right and how much of this is all self starting, you know what I mean? So like that that's something I'm curious about. Don't know if either one of you kind of could shed some light on that, but that that probably dictates a lot of this. I would say.
Speaker 4: From my perspective, I feel like, you know, the clubhouse, we we kind of let each other know that you know, hey, this is what I'm doing to help you know, recovery.
Speaker 2: Hey, like you and you know.
Speaker 4: Your boys that are struggling with injuries or anything, like we talk about those type of.
Speaker 2: Things in the locker room, like man, you know, and you know you know so and So's you know, elbowed.
Speaker 4: You know, the arm is hanging or you know, having knee or you know, whatever type of injuries or you know, things that come up throughout one hundred and sixty two games. You know that you know that about your boy over there, and you do whatever you can to help. But if you don't know, you don't know. And again I didn't know. You know, I knew what I knew as far as you know, the resource that I had. The more I kept planning, the more players that I got around that you know, whether you know, just had different things or whatever, you know, I started to figure out that there's there's more things out there to help with recovery, there's more things to help with prepping for for a game.
Speaker 2: And you know those things.
Speaker 4: You talk about, you talk, you talk amongst yourselves in the locker room, and it, you know, because we're all trying to help each other at the same time, and we're.
Speaker 2: Trying to win.
Speaker 4: We're trying to win, you know, we all have the same goal right in mind. So we're all trying to help each other, and we don't want to see one of our fellow teammates, you know, struggle with injury.
Speaker 2: If we know we can help, so we we we help with those type of things. And I jump right on up in that that hyperberry chamber. I jump right on up in there. It got me a little quick thirty forty five minutes. You know, did I feel it? I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I mean I say this stuff is probably only gone through the roof in the few years since you've been done playing, right, Like team the Tigers a few years ago, put a ton of time, hired some new people, redid the facilities, so more of this is just available in house. You have guys, you know, you have their agents recommending things. They have trainers back home recommending things. Certainly talking amongst teammates, there's some dudes who just do weird stuff, right, There's some dudes who get probably way too into it, and they're doing stuff that is probably completely like junk science. So I've seen some weird things. But it's like probably twenty eight major league teams now invest heavily in this and almost anyone who's like trying to have a long career is taking this stuff really seriously. Unfortunately, that means players aren't going out and having fun and partying on the road as much. That's what we're losing in all this.
Speaker 1: Tonight after part of routine or whatever, he earned it. He earned it, you know. All right, There's a lot of other stuff we could get into, but we're coming up on forty minutes here. Is there anything you guys felt strongly wanting to talk about or you think that's a that's a good episode. I feel good about this episode. This was fun.
Speaker 3: I feel like sometimes Austin brings heat at the end of the episode. You got anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Heat? Wait the whole time, man, go.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen, you gotta give me some if you give me something and you want me to cook on it now.
Speaker 1: But if all right, here here's one. All right, all right, all right, all right, we got it.
Speaker 3: Here's a few more minutes.
Speaker 1: Here, yeah, okay, so here here's something, Ajax. The Tigers need to hire you as a slide coach because as as a lot of great things happened today, but how you lead kind of had his arm behind him as he went into second base head first. That could have been scary. Obviously, you know he was he was okay.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then even Kevin mcgonagall's sliding headfirst in the home kind of did one of those you know, head bounce off the off the dirt a little that it looked like he took took a second to to get his bearing. So uh like, I think, I think, I think, I think your services would be needed to proper slide technique. And and I don't know were you were you ahead first, feet first? Did it matter? What was your preference?
Speaker 4: I was a I was a feed first dude. Yeah, I went head first a couple of times. But I don't know, man, Like, it's it's a it's in the moment type thing, right, it's in the moment type thing.
Speaker 2: I'm always gonna.
Speaker 4: Lean more towards the fee first because I just got way more protection. Like if I'm sliding, uh, you know into a base or into a base where there's another you know, the opposing uh player there. You know, if I'm sliding feet first, like my cleats are there and I you know, you gotta make a business decision do you want to stay there? Well, my cleats coming in there, I'm not. It's not about being dirty. It's about I'm come. You are close to the object that I'm trying to slide into, and if you're in the way, you might you click, might catch some skin and take some skin off.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's not my that's not my objective. But my objective is the bag and you you in the way. So No, I was always a feet first dude. I slid head first at times when I felt like when I was especially when I was running the second and I felt like I needed to, like I felt like, uh, slider feet first, and my my feet, my my steps were off right, and it was gonna have to cause me to like do it like an extra step. Then I would just dive head first. And but when I talk about when I dive head first, it was like a football tackle slide. It was like every it was like a bloll like I didn't even see nothing. It was just like I'm trying to knock if you catch the ball, I'm trying to not ball glove everything out of the way.
Speaker 2: But it's dangerous. It's dangerous.
Speaker 4: It's a very dangerous like slide, and it's a risk you gotta take.
Speaker 2: But I felt comfortable with my body and knowing like my body control. A lot of guys do this and I see it and I'm just like, man, like there's no body control like you you're just you're just going and there's like you're you're flelling and I don't know, you need to do some some core. You know, you gotta be you gotta be Cody, don't laugh at it.
Speaker 4: I'm being serious, man, you gotta have body control like I'm and this is this is a real thing.
Speaker 2: I'm being serious.
Speaker 4: Draw I know, joking, but like, you gotta have body control with these things, man. And I don't know if it's taught or if it's worked on enough, Like you don't who nobody works on this. I'm gonna I'm gonna be honest with We don't work on this during the season. We don't work on sliding because it's too dangerous and there's a risk of you know, as of getting hurt. Right, But it's a real thing. Like you're going into you know, you're you're going into a position to where there's there's an opportunity for you to get hurt. You're going in fingers first, you know, you know you hit that bat that. I mean, I know they got the mits and all the other myths. I didn't have that when we played. I you know, Raj might have been the only dude to had the oven mit. He's like, what is that? G get that up out of here. But no, Like, it's just so many things that can go wrong risk all of this. But it's about having body control. I'm gonna just be honest with you, and everybody doesn't have it. You you know, you can hire me, but I can't teach you body control. You got to be able to have that, brother, Like you got to come in the gym with me. I can show you. I can get you right, you know what I mean, Like I'm thirty nine, I still got it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: No but feet no, but but hearing no. But seriously, I went feet first. I was a feed first guy, and I believe in that just because there's you know, head first. Man, too many things can go wrong thout a season, you know what I mean, Like, there's just too many things can go wrong. First, I felt I have more control over the outcome. Uh head first, I felt like, man, I could There's there's too much opportunity for me to to jam a finger, a wrist, you know, a head injury, collar bone, any of that.
Speaker 2: So I was always a fee first dude, for real.
Speaker 3: I remember a couple of springs ago, MLB made a big deal fielders weren't going to be allowed to block bases anymore, and they called it really strictly in spring training and a little bit at the start of the year. There's the lost time anybody saw that called they've stopped doing it. Fielders are back to blocking bases. So maybe it's time guys start going likes first, put them clean.
Speaker 1: Nothing happening from it. But but McGonagall, you know, sliding the second on it. It was a single that he you know, he gets uh, you know, gets a second base on the throw like as like falls on him, you know what I mean, because they're both kind of at the same point and that you know, and luckily in that instance Jazz or Kevin we're heard. Obviously Jazz got hurt later in the game. But that's another example that was that, you know, fairly routine play. Nothing happened, but like, you know, they're on like top of each other, nack, you know, arms, fingers like all those things you said.
Speaker 2: But you're rolling over on me.
Speaker 4: You're still rolling, you know what I mean, Like you're rolling over back and leg and ankles and you know what I mean. Like it's just a lot. It's just a lot that can they can happen. And I just think that you gotta go old school man. You got to prove a point. You gotta go in there and blow somebody up. And I know that sounds crazy, it sounds bad, like it's I'm not trying to hurt somebody, but I'm trying to prove a point, like, look, you need to get in the position to fill the baseball. If the baseball is not in the position, then it's going to the outfield because I'm coming.
Speaker 2: And that's they're.
Speaker 3: About to start seeing it. We're about to start seeing it field. There's keep king bases and them players don't call it. Keep an eye on this. It's about to start happening.
Speaker 1: For that's the formula, right.
Speaker 4: Cody, I'm coming. If you reach over in this, it's I'm coming straight there. I'm not trying to I'm not coming over into your lane, right, but I'm coming straight.
Speaker 2: And if the ball starts going and you decide to go, I'm.
Speaker 4: Coming in with my cleats. You have to understand that as a as a as a fielder, like I got to make a business decision. Do I want to take cleats? Or is that ball going to the outfield? I need my center.
Speaker 2: Fielder needs to be backing up anyways.
Speaker 4: Right, don't my center fielder need to be backing up anyways?
Speaker 2: What? Why the hell am I getting I ain't about to get spiked. No, you need to be backing up. Everybody got jobs out here.
Speaker 1: We good, all right on that. That's a that's a good That's a good way to wrap it up there. You guys can follow us on extram on Twitter at Cody staven Hagen. I am at Keran Underscore, Secley pot page at Tiger Territory Underscore, YouTube, Apple, Spotify, Subscribe, rate review, You guys know what to do. We appreciate all of you. So for Cody staven Hagen, Austin Jackson, I'm Kieran Steckley. Everybody have a great day.