Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: Honey, we are.
Speaker 3: Take Valoti.
Speaker 1: We are the authorities on R and B ladies and Gentlemen's. My name is Tank, I'm Jay Valentine.
Speaker 3: This it's the R and B Money Podcast authority on all things R and B. Exquisite, exquisite. The level has just gone regal.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's R and B Royalty in the building and Royal Royalty in the building.
Speaker 3: One of the greatest songwriters of our generation ever walked this ever walk this planet. You guys, ladies and gentlemen, and mister John t oh.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, really yeah, thank you. Yeah, he's here. We believe it.
Speaker 4: No ship.
Speaker 1: You are than brother, Thank you you. I wore my suit for you.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 1: Man, you were doing this when I was trying. I was trying.
Speaker 3: I was I saw you you know when when uh, I remember, I remember when one of your your first big checks. You got one of your first big checks. This is probably ninety eight maybe was it ninety eight? Yeah, and you you got the Jaguar, the jack Jaguar four door. Did everybody wants No, it was the Bens. No the Jaguar bubble Eye.
Speaker 1: No, Jazzy had the bubble Lie. I had the five fifty, the five fifty. Why did I think you had the No, I had the five fifty and I had dubs in the ninety ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I remember your car was way better than anything i'd ever Thank you. I get and I'm just watching. I was just like, yeah, thank you too. If you keep writing these songs, man, you too can be like John.
Speaker 1: I want to be like John. Now I'm washing legs, then be on the fries.
Speaker 5: It's like the nigga I was. I was just moping you had your own McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Absolutely early, yeah, early.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think, you know, we gotta go back there. We got to go back to the beginning, even even before the Sweet Ladies and all these things. Let's go back to the beginning.
Speaker 1: Where are you from, bro, I'm from Atlanta. You from from the southwest.
Speaker 5: Atlanta, from the Swats. I am from the Swats.
Speaker 1: Is that what it's called. They call it the Swats? The Swats? Swats?
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, let's let's go back to the Swats. Okay, let's do when somebody said, what up? What John Tey brought up? Ben boy boy got something special, something on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I started out in church. I think just probably like most.
Speaker 5: Of us did, singing, and you know, I was doing television stuff like commercials and singing on television.
Speaker 1: No, just like acting. Oh shit, okay, you kids incorporated, right, Kids Beat?
Speaker 5: I had Kids Beat and real News for kids on Turner Broadcasting on TBS, seeing inn and you know that's when Ted Turner was still the head of the company and I was thirteen. Yeah, so I did it from like thirteen to seventeen.
Speaker 1: How'd you get in that? It was? So I initially landed it on open audition.
Speaker 5: My mom just took me, like she saw it, and you know, I'd already had a couple of commercials under my belt and she took me, you know, to do that. And I got the audition and you know, and landed the gig. Yeah, and so I was on yeh Saturday mornings like so it started with like these little news blurbs and you know, like you Ryan Cameron always makes fun of me when he sees me. He's like, you know, this is John Jay Austin for Kids Be and so because that was like the sign off and then you were buying out yep.
Speaker 1: Right early and so from there.
Speaker 5: But I always had a passion for music, and I was interviewing all these people on the show, you know, sports people, entertainment people, and then I ended up being able to go on our Senior Hall and he asked me, you know what if I wanted to do anything else in addition to what I was doing. I said I wanted to sing, and so he had me sing with the band and then he kept me around for the whole show, like I come back from commercial, I'm singing with the band and he let me hang out.
Speaker 1: Dave Chappelle was on that night, which is a you know, you are pouring champagne. Yeah, you know. Yeah, Man's.
Speaker 5: That he did this before us to not just the writing thing, but this as well, Like, yeah, I was interviewing people.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is kind of what we're doing. Yeah, he did this, I was doing that. I was doing that.
Speaker 5: It was you know, like Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan's, all of these people.
Speaker 1: You interviewed all of them. Yes, people absolutely came through your show. Absolutely absolutely. We got to find the archives man. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So if you see my Instagram, every year on Michael Jackson's birthday, I post a picture of me and him and it's this, you know, I'm like thirteen.
Speaker 1: These I wore glasses back then, had a silk shirt on coming. He was doing the silk shirts then. Yeah, you know that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and from and from there on our Senio Tease Williams, who was absolutely Tease Williams saw it and she called up to Turner and was like, you know who is like got ine And you know, went up to New York and met Kenny Ortisse who was at RCA Records that was back, and that he had just signed s WV.
Speaker 1: Not just signed, he signed.
Speaker 5: Him and they had done well, like so they had done great, and so he was looking to sign you know, someone else and so he you know, they flew me up and you know, Tease had made that introduction and I got my first record deal with RCA Records. I was thirteen, you were thirteen. That was before I was. That was and that preceded the writing. I was just you know, all about the singing. It was, you know, and New York back in those days, you know, to see it, you know, walk through the office. At the time, Rob Walker, who managed the Neptunes, was an assistant to this cat named Dino, who was another an R. Steve Stout was up there working for Loud under Steve Rifkins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, just the all of these people back in those times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's incredible, bro, Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: So you signed first to RCA or you signed to which one?
Speaker 5: I signed the RCA Yeah, OK, yeah, because it was RCIVE at that time. No, it was just yeah, everything was separate back then. That was before for it kind of you know exactly exactly. So I signed and you know was recording. That was back when, you know, that's that's how I hooked up with you know, the like Joe and the Neptunes, like Kenny Kenny Ortiz had founded Neptunes earlier. This was back like you know, Chad had to leave the sessions because he was still in school, like he was going back to college and flying out, and you know that was back when.
Speaker 1: You know, so do they work on your first album? They worked on the first album.
Speaker 5: I still have like the demo of like a couple of the songs and with like with like Joe.
Speaker 1: Singing the demos but to Neptunes.
Speaker 5: Yeah that Pharrell had written for me at Dallas, Austin at Dark and they and they were here and this is back when I mean they had them staying in like this holiday inn that was like around it. It was like a kick door hotel. This is this, So this is early Neptune. That's how I'm giving you the picture of out early Neptunes.
Speaker 1: This is and you know, and then you know they go on there And how did that process go though?
Speaker 3: I mean, because it's like, you know, you as an artist at thirteen, like, yeah, you know, you probably have some expectations too. I'm getting ready to I'm getting ready to go there, you know, I'm ready to be him. I'm getting ready, man, I am.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking like I'm gonna be you know huge, I'm about to do this album.
Speaker 1: It's about to drop.
Speaker 5: Because at the same time, you know, a childhood friend that I had met around twelve usher, you know, was already out doing He had called me a macout. So it's like okay, and then he's you know, he's about to drop. Can you get with it? It's like, oh man, I'm getting you know, I'm next. I'm right behind my guy. And then I went through a voice change and then the administration that brought me in the acts new administration.
Speaker 1: Came in, like y'all know how y'all. Y'all know how that goes. Y'all know how I knew it?
Speaker 5: All right, kids, we got another kid we want to sign, and that kid was Tyres. That was so that's how, that's how we get.
Speaker 6: To Okay, let's get there. Let's get there, because now you are faced with the music business absolutely right, where like, hey, we got this new kid, and we want your song for this new kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it wasn't my so sweet lady. Troy Taylor when he was with Charles Farah when they were the characters, they also worked on my album as well, and so and Carl Thomas was writing, and so you know, we had had a bunch of songs. So Troy is the one who really kind of pushed me into like, yo, you ever thought about writing? And I was like, you know, I mean, you know, he was like, you should try. I hadn't written any song yet, and really, you know, I kind of played around with it, but for yourself, no, no, like I hadn't you know, all of the songs I recorded other people.
Speaker 1: Wrote and the problem yeah right right, I mean didn't right for himself. Shit, you know that's where it starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so you know, Troy pushed me, and then we like landed a couple of things on Jason Weaver on seven O two, and so then I get, you get deal after I get out of my deal, you know, because that was now my way of just staying around the business, like you said, the music business, and I just wanted to be around it, you know, biding my time until I could maybe get another shot at being an artist. And so I'm writing and it's you know, it's I'm getting some placements here and there, and you know, then I get a publishing deal, you know, Valerie Patten signs me to Chrysalis. I think I'm like fifteen at the time, Like my mom had to sign the contract.
Speaker 1: Everything exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: So, uh but then fast forward, so I'm home and you know, I get a call from Troy and he's like, you know, listen, I got an opportunity for you, and if you're smart, you'll do it.
Speaker 1: And he was like, you know, if you're emotional, you won't do it.
Speaker 5: And I was like, okay, but you don't try setting up y'all.
Speaker 1: Don't try you know what I mean, Troy setting it up.
Speaker 5: And so he's like, uh, you know, he's like, you know, the you know, the record because we had the hook for Sweet Lady. He's like, you're a sweet Lady and I was like yeah yeah. He was like, you know, I need some verses for I need you to, you know, finish the verses and.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do it. They wanted for tyres.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, I don't want to help that nigga.
Speaker 1: He took my spot.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, you know, but then after you go, after you get that out for about ten minutes, realize that, you know, he he in Tyreese's mind, this is my spot. Like I'm trying to I'm trying to be an artist. I'm trying to be successful, just like you had.
Speaker 1: Nothing to do.
Speaker 5: I don't know, you bro, Like yeah right, but you know I got a deal. I'm popping, you know what I mean, from the commercials to the deal. And so I was like, okay, I'm gonna write the verses. I wrote the verses. And that was back when you know, this is before text.
Speaker 1: You couldn't you know, send songs.
Speaker 5: Nothing, nothing over the phone, right, you couldn't record nothing on your phone. So, you know, Troy called me and like my answer machine, pick up and let it play and so I could hear it on the answer machine, and then I wrote the verses and I called back and left the melody of the verses on his answering machine with the lyrics like that's how we did songs over them, That's how we did songs over the.
Speaker 1: Phone back then. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 5: So Sweet Lady was written, you know, the verses, the hook was done, but it was done on an answer absolutely, and that's your first legitimate hit record, absolutely, absolutely. So before that, let's let rewind a little bit. You do your first publish, your fifteen What was that deal?
Speaker 1: Like? Do you remember that deal? Do you remember like the terms of that deal with the type of bridge you got absolute fifteen? I remember.
Speaker 5: So I gotten that deal based on my first commercial release was Mona Lisa's Can't be wasting my time going to the Wayne's Brother's soundtrack with the Lost Boys. So I signed my first publishing deal.
Speaker 1: Was it was for eighty K.
Speaker 6: Okay, fifteen eighty K, all right, how much you got it up front?
Speaker 1: Eighty I got on Lady K eighty K up front. I got small set of twenty five. Yeah I didn't.
Speaker 6: I made it though, I'm gonna have to sell some more dope.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know I got that up front. It was three years, and you know, you have to meet your song delivery commitment to get the exactly you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So it was.
Speaker 5: Four holy written songs, which if you write fifty percents, that's eight songs. People never people never do that math, right, because it's in It's twelve exactly, it's in the contract, holy written song.
Speaker 3: Like it's only five songs. I'm about to kill them, like, no you're not.
Speaker 1: No, you're not. You need ten.
Speaker 5: You need fifteen released released, not just.
Speaker 1: Release. See we're giving them label on a major label, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I went into suspension my first I did.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean the commitment, right, I didn't need the commit Yeah, you know she.
Speaker 5: Guy over here who was actually putting out on his own album too, and you.
Speaker 1: Gotta love this, you know, I love it now. It's amazing.
Speaker 5: But my best clause in the contract was I got the reversion clause. So everything came back to me in ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're only fifteen anyway, So it's ten years after, you know, because I read up with them a few times, you know, Valerie and I stayed in business for a while over there at Chrysalis, and but yeah, everything came back to me.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I guess about twenty eighteen. Yeah, so all of the yeah stuff stuff happens when you're not emotional exactly exactly. No, I learned that early. I had to relearn it, of course, over and over and over again. So sweet Lady drops, Sweet Lady drops.
Speaker 3: I'm newly hanging out with Tyres at that time. Yeah, because RCA had signed a group called Elements of Life that was on the same production company I was signed to. You know what I'm saying, What was my guy that was over there, Kevin.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, gosh, Kevin, because that's who dropped me, Kevin, Kevin Evans, Kevin Kevin Evans, and Anthony oh gosh, who was right up under him. I can't remember Anthony Morgan.
Speaker 3: Kevin Kevin Evans when he signed EO Element's Life. Then he was like I went and sang and performed for him. Was like, we want you to next.
Speaker 1: Him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean not to fast forward. But then then when Kevin got pushed out, I was I got pushed out too. So anyway, you know, it slice two times.
Speaker 1: So this drops.
Speaker 3: It was a meeting Tyreees for the first time. I'm like, this dude is different. That's when you had the thing right here. And he was mad at because everybody thought he was Tyson Beckford.
Speaker 1: Yes he was.
Speaker 3: He was angry, like we were. We was walking the streets in New York and oh my god, Tyson man, no fucking Tyson.
Speaker 1: I was like, it's not a bad remind me to tell you. Let's go.
Speaker 5: We're at a New Year's party, uh for the you know, the the Christmas part at the Mayor of Atlanta throws.
Speaker 1: This was in during Cassimes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Era and a friend of my wife's, my wife had a bachelor party in Vegas and they went to go see Tyson Beckford, you know, when he was doing the Chippendale.
Speaker 1: She goes up.
Speaker 5: My wife's goes up to Tyres and it was like, also, good to see you. We we loved the show last week. You were amazing.
Speaker 1: And Tyres is like looking at her, like, you know, she was like in Vegas, we wed to show in Vegas and you know in this she goes off. He leans over to me. He's like, she thinks I'm Tyson Beckford after all, this was old Casinia. Yeah, not too long ago, twenty sixteen. Maybe after all these movies still haunting him, Tyson back is still haunting you. Just obabe.
Speaker 4: You not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so so sweet lady drops it's a smash because I can tell by the way ty is walking.
Speaker 1: He's walking he has a smash He's talking smashy. Yeah, yeah, what changes?
Speaker 3: I know everything changes, but what but what what can you pick out at that moment when it didn't get you out of suspensions.
Speaker 5: That by that time I had, Yes, I had had a couple of other songs come out, and yeah, so I was out of suspension.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I think by that time I hooked up with Noontime. You know, we were you know, still like getting our collaborations together.
Speaker 1: So it was like a we you know, it felt good.
Speaker 5: It was like a validation cause it's like, man, like now I'm turning on the radio all the time, and then you watch the song crack the top ten, you know, R and B and it's like, you know, I think it made it to like number eight and I'm seven number eight something.
Speaker 1: Like that, and it's like, wow, this is a real bona fide you know record, and.
Speaker 5: You know, I think from there it just it motivated me more to want to, you know, put more songs on the radio. Then it kind of became about you know, you go from I want to write, so I want to get placements, then so I want to get placements.
Speaker 1: To now I want to get singles. Yea.
Speaker 5: Now it's like, you know, it goes from I want to get singles to now I want to get first singles the second you know what I mean, like I want to be you know, and then from there it's like I want us to be the go to guys, Like now you come to us, Yeah, Because.
Speaker 1: It's like before you actually have a hit record.
Speaker 3: Even sometimes when you do have that first hit record one or two, you're a guy that people will listen and accept records for. But there becomes a point in time when it's like, okay, let's book the session. Yes, right, there's a process. That's a real process. If John Tay in with X, Y and Z.
Speaker 1: Because Johntay's record is going.
Speaker 3: To be he's going to deliver, it's going to deliver something exactly. And when did that change? When did that happen for you?
Speaker 1: Ah? Man?
Speaker 5: I think that happened, man, it was because it was post Sweet Lady. I think we started to get those opportunities. It was it was two records when be Cox and I did Get Gone for Ideal, Hm, I love thank you.
Speaker 3: That was, you know, I think Lee, yeah alone, pack your bags, Yes, get the hell on. Yeah, because I don't want you no, no, Yeah, that was the record was great.
Speaker 1: I was inspired by a real person. I bet it was. It absolutely was, absolutely was before you could block people.
Speaker 2: Yes, this was you know.
Speaker 1: She she also inspired I Miss You for Lee.
Speaker 5: But you know, back in the day when she used to try to bring that up, I would be quicker, you know, I inspired I miss you.
Speaker 1: I would also be like, you also inspired Get Gone. So there's that feel because I married Min I'm not even gonna do it. Just just let's keep going.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so it was Get Gone that because that record showed like these guys can do records on new artists and get a new artist happen, you know what I mean. So that's one thing, you know, And then for me it was like the second time because we had ty rees and now we have Ideal.
Speaker 1: But then yeah, be Cox did Get Gone. Yeah, the guy one of the guys from ideal is his cousin or something? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, who produced I don't want to, Donnie and Jazzy Fair producer.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 5: And then when I don't want to came then it was like, Okay, these guys are for real. They're doing real hits because you like, I don't want to win number two on the charts with no video, and you know, and we all from the era of like how important videos were and you had to have a video, you know, and you know, number two it was on the Next Friday soundtrack before it was on Romeo Must Die Socks. It was on two soundtracks. It was on Next Friday. First you was getting paid? Yeah, yeah, ship, what did you buy?
Speaker 1: Man? What's the first? What's the first? Crazy John Ta? It might have been that Bens. I mean it might have been that Ben. It was not on the streets, No, it was yeah, it was brand new. Yeah, I think that was it. Yeah, I have to pay the overage to be the first. No, no, no, man.
Speaker 5: I found a guy in Athens, Georgia who got one for me, and I drove up to Athens and and you know, I drove it back.
Speaker 1: I was killing that noontime parking lot. Same way you'll travel for a woman, you'll travel for a car. I flew to LA to pick up a car once you should and shipped it back. But I like, you know, I need to see it. Yeah, fly out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When your money get different.
Speaker 3: Even rich for a long time money and your money get different, you know you have particular taste.
Speaker 1: Ye, I need I need to Yeah, I need all new cars don't smell the sad. I wanted to see how because I had just gotten the Black card, and so.
Speaker 5: I wanted to heavy one, the heavy one, right, the one that made Now now a lot of cards are made out of that, but like the black was the first.
Speaker 1: One, and I just I was just like I wanted to see if I can do the whole thing. And I handed them and they swipe it, and I'm like, wow, that's cool that the whole car. That was a whole I need to know this. Oh, were you with a Black card? And for people that don't understand, he's talking about the American Express Vorian right, smell that Centurion.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's the unlimited you can you can go purchase a jet. Yeah, they gonna want that jet, like they want to jet. Yeah, well, but you go purchase one.
Speaker 1: By the time I got this, I was like twenty five. Oh wow, small, small set twenty five, small, twenty five. This is you know, we Belong Together is out. This is all of it everything. I mean he wrote we Belong Together at twenty four Yeah what yeah, around Yeah, I think we were around that time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, at that time it was yeah know I was yeah know, he was in it. I was in it for the good and for the bad, for the good and for the bad.
Speaker 3: My question, as we go through these progressions with you know, so many records, what are you feeling as what is the artist John T. Austin feeling like, because there has to be moments all of this where you're like.
Speaker 1: These are my children could be this could be broke my career as an artists. Yeah, maybe I should.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I said it a hundred times. I said it a hundred times. I you know, I'm conflicted about, you know, giving records away. You know, I'm conflicted about it.
Speaker 1: Was almost like.
Speaker 5: You ever see the movie Happy Gilmour, Yes, you know, how like he started doing really well at golf, but he kept telling people he was a hockey player. Like you know what I mean, I'm like, I'm an artist and you know, but I'm like, I want to hold on to something. And my manager, Chris Hicks, you know, he would always have to talk me out, he would, you know, but he would say, listen, the only reason you hang on to records is if you are not confident that you can make another one. But I believe you can make another one. So let's give that we have an opportunity to place these records and put these records on people who are coming out. You'll get your shot. I don't know when it's gonna happen, but yes, So, like it's it is frustrating. It was frustrating because like even though I'm making all of these hits, I'm like, you know, man, I you know I can do this, Like you know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Singing the demos. They're you know, they're doing my demo note for note no for you know, right, So it's like you're hearing yourself right the radio. Absolutely absolutely a version of yourself. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's you know, like to the point where like when we were talking about when can't help but Wait came out for Trey songs, like getting calls like.
Speaker 1: You wrote that, didn't you. I can tell like it's.
Speaker 3: Your even what you're talking about, because I didn't know. Yeah, we were just talking about it. I was like, I'm replaying the record of my mind and I just hear you you have vibrato. I hear the whole thing. I was like, that's for damn sure, John T. Austin record.
Speaker 1: John T. Austin could have diad yes, yeah, could have put out easily.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's so it becomes.
Speaker 5: Right right, and you're happy for that, Like you're not like I'm I'm not happy that anybody else got to hit. It's just kind of like your own personal war that you're fighting. It's like, man, what do I have to do? You know, like I'm because I'm celebrating their success and not jealous of it. But man, I would like to be an artist as as well.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: But you know, we kept writing, what's the record that you didn't want to give away? Is there one that you just like, fuck.
Speaker 5: Man, I'm trying to what's a Then there's one that stands out. I'm just trying to think if that's the one I want to go with. I think it might have been. No, it wasn't can't help but wait because we did that specifically for Trey with Stargate.
Speaker 1: I think I don't want to.
Speaker 5: Like at the time because it wasn't for Aaliyah. Okay, you know we did it and then Chris heard it. Chris Hicks heard it and was like, oh, this is this is getting played you know for Aleah.
Speaker 1: I was there too. Yeah, yeah, you were in there on a Sony Studios in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We was like that make a cold man, oh man, than you fucking rits. You need to write like that. You see how you writing like that will copy your doubles like view that.
Speaker 3: I need to repeat some stuff, right, okay, and then you would you would do the telephone, and so you need the telephone.
Speaker 1: Telephone, man, the telephone like all that stuff. Phone kind of was like an early auto tune thing. I think I was the because when you get excited about the telephone, but the telephone, the telephone, the telephone on the telephone. Right, I got that from you.
Speaker 6: So I'm telling to interview y'all real real quick, real quick, come over, come over. I got I got both, I got both of you guys in the room, and for a long time, people did not know that that was Tank's voice.
Speaker 1: People didn't know that. And because I want to were you even credited on there?
Speaker 3: I didn't get credited on there till late That's what I'm saying, Like, so people people found out right and then they I think people themselves just credited me and then ended up as but it's not on the project. As a fan right now, I need I need the backstory. I have to have the backstory. So we give you my perspective because this perspective more important.
Speaker 1: But I heard him telling it.
Speaker 3: I love it because this is more important. We're at another studio recording, ye me.
Speaker 1: I think Jerry's with me. I don't know if Cliff is with me.
Speaker 5: You down at Chunk King right, because we were at Son of you guys worrying probably probably, and he was like, uh, he was like uh, he's like a leave recording recording around the corner.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, shoot, let's go over there, you know what I'm saying, check on her and see what's going on. And so, you know, we walking the streets in New York, run into the LEA session. As soon as we walk in, She's like, oh, Tank can do it. And then Johntay's like, can do it?
Speaker 1: You have no music out at this point. No, okay, but we knew he was a sang right, but my background singer anymore?
Speaker 3: Are you still a back kind for genuine? I'm fighting to be you still want to do it? I'm damn right.
Speaker 1: I mean to this day you still I still want to sing backgrounds?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I want to sing background And Johnny was like getting the booth, I was like, this is wow. I just want to say here right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Getting the booth and John Tay of course, John Tay sings. He gives me the notes, just think me, give me, give me the.
Speaker 1: And sing that. I think we spent about like five ten minutes or that sing that like that's a stack head because he then he put like a mid no, it's mad crazy.
Speaker 3: I just come out the booth and I'm like, that's it cool and we're just talking and listen of it. Liz is talking to me about my style and what I need to do and you need to dress like and you know you're like a one man Josy and you better and john Day's like, yeah, you're do the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But Johnsy was like, you know when we listen to the record like I'm in there taking notes because I had already heard this record. I'd already heard the record. And then when she's when he put her on it, I was just like this, Ninka is cold.
Speaker 1: Because I was in line, you know what I'm saying. It was him and it was static.
Speaker 3: So for my label, you know, even at Blackground, you know what I'm saying, their go to was we need static or we need John Tea. So I was in line, just kind of waiting my turn to be sick, waiting for my again, I would say, for my writing to get on that level because I wasn't there yet, you know what I'm saying. So these were the guys that I was just kind of like watching, kind of in awe of, you know what I'm saying. So when they put me in the studio on that on that, I didn't think nothing of it. But then you know, as as it looks in twenty twenty three, wow, thank you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thank you, thank you. Yeah. Now okay, now give us the before he gets to the studio. Okay, Yeah, So we were in there she so Alia had cut most of the record, and you know, hearing this part, it's like okay, like you know, it's got to be some somebody that asked, because she was like, I think somebody else should do this. And so we was like okay, because.
Speaker 5: It was you know, the story of come On. So she's calling you know, her dude, her dude, and so it's like, okay, she just touched story wise right too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 5: We thought like okay, at this point of the story, it's you know, him participating now, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And so it was like a call out back to her, okay. And so it's like, you know, and who is saying this ship like who you know?
Speaker 5: And we're going through like you know, I think Usher might have come up. You know, we're throwing people out, and then Tank walks in.
Speaker 1: And we're like like Tank can do it. That's crazy, And we said I think we said g I think we did say genuine. So it was like, but you never walked check on your friend. I mean like, yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: But that's like such, that's the yeah, that's the juice of the song, right, Like that's the you know that part, Like that's the sing along part.
Speaker 1: That's the you know, that's the flavor and then what two years ago, three years ago, you get another check for it?
Speaker 5: Because Kaylannie, yeah yeah, can I absolutely which is k Lonnie that you didn't call Chief to come and do his part again?
Speaker 1: He might have done it for you. Yeah, come on stage sometimes sold up shows, stole out show, yes, yeah no, because that's and that leads me to my next question.
Speaker 5: How does it feel to be sampled at this younger age that you are, like, you're not seventy eighty years old when you got to clear the.
Speaker 1: Sam being like, oh, who want to like what he's singing? I don't like what he's saying on that my wholesome song into a whole song. Yeah, you know you're still a young dude.
Speaker 6: Man, they're sampling your music, Kaylane Bryson Tiller, like they're sampling your records already.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, No, it's a it's a great feeling. I mean it makes me, you know, it like makes you feel sing because it's like, okay, the younger generation. You know, it's funny that you say, like the seventy year old guy, right, because you like you don't.
Speaker 1: Want to be that. I had to call a couple of them stuff. So that's why. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry they feel like, you know, but I don't want to be the person that's like, oh, you know, you know music should be this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you got to have more respect than blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: Because when I meet young writers, young artist, young producers, what I've learned.
Speaker 1: Is they do respect it. They know it. They follow it like they have nothing but respect and the admiration.
Speaker 5: That's why they're sampling like they they're paying you a compliment, you know to me, so like and a check.
Speaker 1: So when it comes through, like you know, I'm like, it's I always listen for the creativity of it, Like, wow, have you ever not clear something I'm trying to see?
Speaker 5: I don't think so, yeah, I don't think so you know what, No, I think there might have been like an ed M version of I can't remember of something I might not have cleared.
Speaker 1: I love EDM, but it wasn't for whatever reason. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it felt like you know, something that I'm hearing in just like a one way bar in Amsterdam, you know, like off that, but not but not in the Flyway, not the fly Amsterdam that we're talking.
Speaker 6: Nothing that I love going to sample John say as records. Make sure it's fly, you know, make sure its music is flying.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely, I want to talk about I want to talk about your experience with Mariah Carey.
Speaker 1: Okay, because that's you know, before we get to Maracay. I do have to let y'all know for I don't want to You know, Aliyah didn't want to cut that. No, I did not know that. She didn't want to cut that one. She wasn't sold and I don't want to. She wanted to cut I Miss You. That was what got us to New York.
Speaker 6: And you know, so how do you sell because now the writers need to see this. How do you sell a major superstar? How do you sell them the record that they don't want but you know that they need.
Speaker 5: Right, So you know, I can't take credit for that. That was all Chris Hicks who made that. He was like, I tell you what, let's make a deal. You can cut I Miss You, but you have to cut this one as well.
Speaker 1: That's the deal. And she was like okay, And then when she got on it, it was Chris has always been good with conversations. Yea, I know, yeah, absolutely is from the area. You know what this feels feels, right, I like the way you're talking to me. Yeah, so so you know, so that's how that's how we got her on it. Wow, that was it. So Mariah Carey, Yes, what is that call?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: So the call comes from j D. Jay's like, you know, come to uh, you know, come to studio tonight.
Speaker 5: At this point, you know, obviously JD has such a long history with her, you know, starting would always be my baby, going back to that, right and and you know, now be Cox has done you know, songs with her, so they're like a nucleus.
Speaker 1: And but I was excited.
Speaker 5: So he's like, you know, Mariah's gonna be here tonight, you know, come down, and you know, she gets there and Mariah doesn't show up till like midnight. That's her session. Session starts at midnight. She likes to She's a night out, absolutely likes to likes to write and work you know late. So you know, at the time, I didn't I have I've had to learn that.
Speaker 1: The first day I showed up, I was there at like six p m. Just six hours. Yeah, what she had. I mean, I'm like, you know, let me know, now, let me know when she comes in, you know, let me.
Speaker 6: And this is levels right, because I'm sure at this point you have massive records by this point, yeah, you don't have a Mariah.
Speaker 5: We don't have them or this is still Mariah. So what is interesting is that this is Mariah, I mean off of Glitter movie in this.
Speaker 1: And so there were a couple of people around me who were like, why are you gonna spend your time on this? Like and they thought the ship itself, thought the ship itself.
Speaker 5: I have a fast rule about legends, like legends stay legends, you know what I mean. It's like that right, you've earned that, You've earned that, and you're always one hit away.
Speaker 1: I don't care if you ain't.
Speaker 5: Had a hit in ten years if you call you know what I mean. That's how I feel about legends. And at that point, you know, this is once we dy walking through the door, like what do you mean?
Speaker 1: We don't write and we're gonna look into these cameras. That's what it should be.
Speaker 6: They've earned it, absolutely, and if you are a hit maker, go give them that hit worker one hundred percent one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: So Mariah gets there and I'm just sitting in the corner just quiet her and Jamaine and Brian are catching up and you fly on the wall, just fly on the wall, just you know, just sitting because again this is so, this is after Aliyah, this is after Chris Brown, this is after you know what I mean, this is yeah.
Speaker 1: This is only popping, this is yo yo yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So you know, after about thirty minutes we're sitting there. The first song that Jamaine played so can I get your number? And they already had that him and Brian already had that hook, and so he was like okay. She was like, oh, I want to start with this, like do some verses, and so then you know, she turns, She's like, and who are you? Starts that way she was like and she was like who are you? She was like I'm guessing. She's like are you a part of this? And I was like I look at Jamaine and Jamaine is like yeah, yeah, he writes with us. And she was like, okay, all right, let's rite. Let's start like it wasn't no what have you done? Yeah, you know, just like okay, I just need to know who you were, and now we're good, and then you know, we hit it off from there and Mariah is like a brilliant songwriter in her own right, so, you know, being able to collaborate with someone like so the experience of someone who can write for themselves, like she doesn't really need anyone to write, you know, but throwing out ideas, the way that she hears things, the way that she rhymes words and melodies.
Speaker 1: And then you're also hearing her sing, and so it's like one of those moments.
Speaker 5: The first time I had a moment like that, we go back to Tony Braxton, but it was like the second time when I first worked with Tony and Tony walks into booth and you like, hear that voice come over the mic and you're like, I said, this is Tony Brax and the same thing so before Mariah even won, Like just her sitting there with the pad writing and she's humming, and I'm like trying not to like smile, but I'm like, damn, this is Mariah Carried.
Speaker 1: I think I had that moment when we worked on ron Isley. Yeah, yeah, man, I was like, he hit one of them. This is a dream come true. He's really in the booth singing one of my records. When did you have that moment any artist? For you?
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm like the fan you are, you know, so everybody when they get into yeah, because it's like, I don't know, man, I don't It's an unexplainable feeling.
Speaker 1: It's just like to have these type of people singing rect just to have.
Speaker 3: The voice, like you've heard this voice everywhere, You've heard this voice on massive records. You're saying this voice, and now this voice in a sense belongs to you.
Speaker 1: You're a part of this voice. Now you're sharing in this. That's a great one. Yeah, that's a great one. That's Gladys.
Speaker 3: That was my first time where I was just like, no way, Like, first of all, she's singing in one take and that's literally one top to bottom.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: She studied it for about ten minutes, ten fifteen minutes, played it over and over so and she said I'm ready, yes, yes, will say it all, set it all up. She went top two bottom, no auto tune stuff, you know, just some slight verb raw top to bottom. What else would you like?
Speaker 1: That's how they I looked at it then there I was like, you don't even know what to say, Like maybe we should tell her to do it again. I feel like I did something here, right, I'm gonna just tell her. You're not gonna call me back. I'm gonna tell her do it again?
Speaker 3: Great, great, Yes, let's just let's get one more, one more, like, let's just get one more and and and you see where we end up. See what we gotta She did one more.
Speaker 1: Top to bottom, flawless. That's crazy. It come out, come on, out, come on, thank you, coming by God, bless you. Yes, that's crazy. Do you right? Shake it off? In that first session, so we did. Can I get your number? The first night? Second night was shake it off? Okay, second night was shaking. So we had the mic on the demo. It was me, Mariah and Mariah's assistant. Whose idea was that? Was Mariah because that's the classic ship, that's Mariah. I got to give her. I gotta give her. I've never written a song with any of those old like everybody in never written a song with that.
Speaker 5: I was like, yeah, man, that's all that's classic. M see all day, all day. So can't I get your numbers? Shake it off?
Speaker 1: It's like that. Yeah, and then and then we were done like that. Those were all in those sessions. And you know, so l A.
Speaker 5: Reid, you know who was ahead of death jam at the time, he was like, listen, like, I feel like we got something. I feel like, you know, shake it Off can probably be our first single. But I think y'all got one more in you, so I'm gonna send her back down.
Speaker 1: And that was the We Belong Together session. That was the you know, so it started with la It's like, I think y'all got one more and sent her back down.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: This time it was Manuel Seal for your Seal. Hey, listen, listen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because unless unless you're in the music business, don't really know that name. It's not like you know, he never really came outside like that. No, but if you in this music business.
Speaker 1: Man, you seal.
Speaker 5: It's fucking special. I hope you see this, brother, Absolutely, you are, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're special. That guy is special. Those records that he's been a part of incredible, Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 6: So yeah, you know we we we give real have to respect shoutouts flowers like yeah, man, yeah, we respect the game up here.
Speaker 1: No, no, you have to.
Speaker 5: And that's why, I mean, that's why it's important for me to bring him up too, like, you know, cause it's there is you know, these big songs. I feel like there could probably be some temptation to like want to hoard credit for yourself, but there's enough for it. Everybody made such a significant contribution. Like you know, I tell people like, you know it's Mariah and I wrote we Belong Together.
Speaker 1: Together, like you know what I mean. So like she was just as much.
Speaker 5: You know, it wasn't like a word here, a word there. No Mariah's in the studio writing the records. We wrote a song together, Manuel and JD you know, produced it, and so we worked on this record. It was like we worked till like five six in the morning, and I laid the demo for it and demo to there's a John Te demo to we Belong Together.
Speaker 1: There is an n F T. I want.
Speaker 5: You know who probably has it is La because he told me later he was like I knew she was gonna have something because she left Atlanta from the studio, landed in New York and l A was like she woke me up and was like, you have to hear this record. She came by and played him my demo Like that's how excited she was about the record, Like you got to hear this song.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go pick up my son after this and we're gonna roll today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that guy is turning his piano.
Speaker 5: Yeah, were about to put some pressure on the pressure man himself, because I mean he wrote that too. Oh yeah yeah yeah, come on, like I don't know s yeah yeah, we're still writing hits to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look shout out to all right Lynx. That's the home. You've written a lot of songs. Man, we haven't probably even.
Speaker 2: Got to have them.
Speaker 3: We haven't gotten to a third things you've done. There were a lot of songs written before you. Oh yes, it might have inspired you to become.
Speaker 1: The man you are.
Speaker 3: We would like to tap into the greatness that you consider great. Oh yes, by understanding your.
Speaker 4: Top five, your top five, top five, your top five, horsing.
Speaker 2: All and be sold. You got to have, you got to know you got John Yeah, Ron yeah, yeah, you know with.
Speaker 1: The Teddy Teddy pindagras.
Speaker 2: Yeah you.
Speaker 8: Five, John, take Austin, your top five R and B singers, Stevie Wonder start off, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on.
Speaker 1: Otis Redding, whoa Sam Cook? No, come on now, come on with anything like this, Whitney Houston. The voice, the voice, right, the voice of all voices. Right, I'm riding with the home team. I'm going usher come.
Speaker 2: On, I'm going with.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm going with the squad, rocking with the squad. Absolutely, not bad, not mad at you at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Top five R and B songs.
Speaker 5: As by Stevie Wonder kick it off absolutely, When a Woman's fed up.
Speaker 1: Lot of now, yeah, I don't want to find had Listen to the song. Listen to the song on the record, please. Yeah. So let's see as when a woman's fed up. Michael Jackson's Lady in My Life. Yes, yes, I think that's that's made it to the top five a few times it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna give you the last two, but real quick. I told I asked JD one time, if Michael came to you to work, you know, would you work? When he was like, man, nah, I tell him to go back to quick see that's where he belongs. And he I was like, you know, but we can do some records for Michael. He was like, not like they can do him. I say, you don't think we could do like we've done a Lady in My Life. JD goes, when the hell we did one of them?
Speaker 1: Every day? I haven't seen I ain't seen one of them get out the door. When when they got out of door, I said, oh ship just yeah, so uh, lady in my life, never too much Luther Vandra Yeah yeah. What's that sound in the beginning of that?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: What is that? What is it.
Speaker 1: Before kick in? It's this sound that comes in in the beginning of that song. Could be as a basis something like, man, it's the call out to me? Yeah, and a door?
Speaker 2: What a song?
Speaker 1: What a record? An artist? But I got something else for him, Chief, I got something else for him. We've never done this. What haven't you done? I want to know your top five songwriters because you are who you are, brother, Yeah, I would like to know your top five songwriter.
Speaker 5: One of my pix is going to be controversial, so we'll save him at the end.
Speaker 1: I've already named one of his songs, I guess, but uh so Stevie Wonder babyface line. Now Richie the man who bought Beverly Hills.
Speaker 6: Off the Pin, off the pin talking about Pimp and your pen Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Pimp r Kelly yeah, m hm mm hmm.
Speaker 9: Jermaine Dupree, everybody in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hall of Fame, say what you won't.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yes, that's a great list. Yeah, thank you, thank you, because you know we're we're all fans. Yeah, no matter what if we do it or not, we're all fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So for you as how I look at you.
Speaker 5: As a songwriter, for you to tell me who your five guys are, five women, whatever it is, that's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like your list.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make the voltron Okay, Okay, We're gonna assemble your R and B artists, the greatest, the super who are getting the vocal from the performing style, from the styling, from the passion of that artist, and who's gonna write for that artist?
Speaker 1: Okay? Vocal vocal Stevie wonder again.
Speaker 5: Stevie is Temples, Steve Ballads, yes, right, achappella, straight ahead vocal acrobatics, what however you want?
Speaker 3: Does it all performance style? Michael Jackson, that's gonna be fucking.
Speaker 1: Nuts voice Michael Nuts. Yeah, he's not gonna be He's not gonna be alien.
Speaker 5: Because you also get Stevie playing to because his voice play that's how he sings.
Speaker 1: Get on the hard mountain. Yeah, yeah, okay, it's the styling, the styling Frank Sinatra. Yeah yeah, Frank was a my friend. They called me, they call me absolutely absolutely yeah yeah. The passion of the artist hard mm hmm mm hmm. It's hard working. No one works hard.
Speaker 5: Dilegit absolutely, roller skates and things like well, how many hours do you need to prepare?
Speaker 1: You need ten thousand hours?
Speaker 5: He's hitting the same handstanding the one time where the one time where the dancer bumped into him and he turned it into a move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like no, I'm not gonna fall on these skates like that. These people, I'm too nice. I'm about the robots sweetness, sweetness, Yeah, I'm nice with it. Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I think he kind of turned into like a half split, like I said, come on, I'm sick of all the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's writing for this artist? I know who I want to write that.
Speaker 5: So man, that's say you better not give it away. That that's kind of, uh a toss up of what but you know, can I say I'm writing.
Speaker 1: You get what you Listen. I was ready to fight you. You got this mega artist and you ain't gonna write God do right? You better write it? Like, man, I don't want to give away my song I'm starting to frustrate man right before. Yeah, I'm writing for them, yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, yeah, writing an all timer all timer for the third or fourth and third or fourth thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you got, Chief? What you got? I ain't saying no, nat to pay. I ain't saying no nation. I ain't saying no Nick, ain't saying no names. Where you was?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 2: What you did?
Speaker 1: Don't say she. I ain't saying no. Yeah, we hear that. We're here, now, we hear now. Okay, so you know you watched the show. You know you know how this thing goes. Man, we're here.
Speaker 5: This is the I ain't saying no name segment. Will you tell us your story? A story funny or fucked up? A funny and fucked up in the travels in the times of John T.
Speaker 1: Austin. Okay, here we go. Hold on, this is John T. Austin. Kids Beat. Oh God, if you've ever.
Speaker 6: Met a young lady that you wanted to be a sweet lady, jeez, he started with kids beat.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 1: Cocaine is involved in this story. Ship. Ship ain't be without you. You know, you can't be without the you feel. So.
Speaker 5: I ain't saying no names, but so we're in well, I'm gonna say a couple of names, but it has nothing to do with you know. But we're in Vegas working on the Raymond Versus Raymond album. This is the formation of the whole Oceans thing and whatever. And I was beefing with someone else in the music business. They were not in Vegas with us beefing, though I was beefing.
Speaker 1: Old a lady. I was in my I was emotional. I was Carl Thomas Thomas emotions.
Speaker 2: Look at me. I can't stop crying my hardest.
Speaker 1: I was reaching for rain. I'm grasp yes, you know, Jess and I had you know, was in the you know, the heights of just a really stellar drug problem. Uh, you know, it's one for the books.
Speaker 5: I went through a period where I did enough cocaine to probably kill a Kentucky Derby level thoroughbred horse.
Speaker 1: But so I'm, you know, just upset at this person. And we go out to Dre's.
Speaker 5: And you high, I'm high, and I'm rifling shots someone you know, and I'm just venting. I think j d Or be Cox makes a joke about it. I storm out of dres By myself. I've left everybody in there and I and you can't just storm out of dres because elevated.
Speaker 1: St the hallway a lot of breath.
Speaker 2: But I have.
Speaker 1: Stormed out of this place, but you also have performing exactly exactly. I get it. So then I go to the Spearmint Rhino. Why not?
Speaker 5: And I'm in the Spearmint Rhino, just me and my lonesome in the vi P and you know, I start to feel sick. I go to the bathroom and.
Speaker 1: I throw up, and then I feel better.
Speaker 5: And what would really make me feel better is if you know, I did another bump, and that would like get me back to where I was right And.
Speaker 1: So now I'm in the zone. And so this was the era of two ways, not two ways blackberries. I send off an email.
Speaker 5: H at about five o'clock Vegas time, and you know, talking about how you know, I need people around me who are solid.
Speaker 1: I need people arriving me who are going to ride for me. And if you are not for me, then you are against me. Send it to all of the crew in Vegas. Send it to Mark Pitts. Send it to Barry Weiss, who's that like a couple of other executives.
Speaker 5: Send it to everybody but the person I'm mad at who has no idea that I'm mad at him, by the way, and yeah, and then fired off of you know that text. I won't say who the person was, but and then the next day just rolled into the studio like like nothing happened. Well, first I had to the aforementioned black card. I left that in the spearmitt rhino, so I had to.
Speaker 1: Go back and hit that.
Speaker 5: But I wasn't the only one because the person I was like, you know, I left my MX here last night.
Speaker 1: You know which one is. I'm like, you know, it's the black card that doesn't narrow it down.
Speaker 5: And I'm like wow, So there was there was. I didn't feel bad. And so I go and see the next day like nothing happens. Usher comes in and you know, sits down. We're at the board and all he does is he goes.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I'm like, yep, He's like okay. So that's why I ain't gonna say you said. I ain't gonna say I'm gonna say that somebody, Oh my gosh, what was wrong with me? I was tripping matters of the heart.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It happened right, and cocaine and cocaine make the heart explode. We're glad that your heart didn't explode me too. Yeah, crazy enough. I never knew it was okay, brother, thank you. I never knew that. I never knew that. Thanks. Thanks. Yeah, yeah, welcome back, thank you? No, yeah, off it by the way, just you know, for years, so there you go. We need you, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, brother, yeah, I'm and I'm running and doing jiu jitsu so you know things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things you need your heart for. So mister John T.
Speaker 3: Austin Sinatra, Yeah, now you really are you are Sinatra boy? Yes, thank you, brother. I mean we've we've been great. We've been doing this for too long, man, and you know, just outside of friendships and brotherhood, man, just just what you've done. Thank you as a peer, you know what I mean, Like you are ship, you're him.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I appreciate you guys having me. I've been looking forward to doing it. Yeah, you know, we needed we needed to have. It's the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B Absolute. How do we not have you? Thank you so much. Thank you for having me. You're on the You're on the board of authorities. Oh wow, I appreciate you, aboy to start sending the names to you like yo. You think they could come on there?
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: Right quite.
Speaker 1: That once wig that passed up on that record. You can't come over here, Come come. I love you, guys, you the greatest. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 3: My name is thank This is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B and we've just.
Speaker 1: Had our brother and one of the peace rating songwriters of all time. It's John Tet. Thank God.
Speaker 3: R and B Money.
Speaker 6: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at jy Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com, forward slash R and B Money