Speaker 1: From Marhart where Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Hinde at Bloomberg's Weldtay quarters in New York. Ed Ludlow, He's off today. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up. Well, all the artificial intelligence throughout the show you need, from a potential bubble in AI stocks to an AI girlfriend, We've got you covered. Plus States versus companies will break down Disney's decision to pull back in Florida, look at the legal challenges facing Montana as TikTok users sue the state over the band. And in today's VC Spotlight will speak with the founder of Atomic Labs, one of the original backers of Hymns and hers Is. They announced their new three hundred and twenty million dollar fund. But first, let's check your on these markets and look nervousness. Nervousness about a debt ceiling demarcle continuing to erode some of that confidence as we go into a weekend. We're off by a tenth of a percent in terms of the NASDAK, just coming off of those lowers. But still worries about what Ja Powell is saying, of course, speaking the Fed chair, really looking as though he's in track for some sort of pause in June. That of course implicates what's happening with the two year yield and the ten year yield at the moment. Seeing a bit of a steepening of the curve, we're basically flapped down by about Wembus's point on the two year yield KBW Banking Index. Interesting one Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen maybe hinting at further deals M and A needed in the banking sectors. So the small regional lenders they drop one and a half percent. Move it on. Let's dig into some of the individual movers though, because we have seen actually Apple managing to probably even got the biggest, most impactful stock on the green. It's going to be helping big tech in general. Apple sort of bouncing back a little bit. Cisco bouncing back after that erosion in its market capitalization yesterday as we worried about its future. Sales are up two percent. Amazon though down one point four percent as we worry more about the inflationary consumer environment upon us. And let's dig into the macro picture right here, right now, because we want to give you the perspective on the Hill GOP debt ceiling negotiators, we understand abruptly just well leaving a closed door meeting with the White House representatives soon after it began really throwing the status of how we avoid a US to fault into doubt once again. Bloomberg's Kaylee lines some polace to say, Russia is to set for us and what do you think at the moment, what we're expecting to come out of today's discussion.
Speaker 4: Well, up until we got these headlines crossed within just the last hour in Change, Caroline, it was feeling much more positive. The mood music seemed much more optimistic. Speaker Tomcarthy himself was talking about the idea of having a deal in principle by the end of this weekend. That all seems to have changed as of this morning, which, as you say, saw that the negotiators on behalf of the speaker, led by Congressman Garrett Graves, walked out of this meeting saying the White House was being unreasonable, and Graves went on to say he didn't know if they were going to be meeting later today or even at all over the weekend, So that clearly throws the timeline into a bit of luck here. And we have to keep in mind that at the end of this weekend as well, the President is scheduled to return on Sunday from the G seven summit in Japan, where he currently is. Where it is right now about one in the morning, he is in all likelihood sleeping at the moment as this is crossing. And I would point to a tweet from the Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell saying it is only the President and Speaker McCarthy who can make a deal on this. They are the only two who can reach an agreement. Is past time for the White House to get serious. Time is of the essence, because remember Caroline Will less than two weeks away from June first.
Speaker 3: Well pointed out so sticking points that these two individuals need to unblok at the moment, Well.
Speaker 2: There's a few.
Speaker 4: One really big sticking point that seems to have emerged is around stricter work requirements for entitlements. This is something that Speaker McCarthy has previously described as a red line. It is something the President himself has signaled openness to except for in the cases of health related benefits like Medicaid. Yet many in the Democratic Party have pushed back against this idea. I've spoken with a number of progressive Democrats members of the Congression Black Caucus as well, who said they would vote no for any deal that included those stricter requirements. Then there's also just the question of spending caps, what the duration of them should be, where they should be, and Jivilie just the timeline for how long into the future the debt ceiling should be raised twenty twenty five after the elections of next year or sooner than that. So those are some of the points that need to be ironed out, and clearly they are having difficulty moving forward on those. As again, those negotiating on behalf of the speaker say that the White House is not being reasonable on this, will look for reaction from the White House negotiators themselves, Caroline.
Speaker 3: And reaction on market and asset prices at the moment then ASDAK bouncing off of its lows, but big implications for tech dot Colder is Kaylee brilliant, Thank you so much for joining us. Meanwhile, must turn our attention to the text stories that we've got to be digesting on the day Open Ai. It's bought that chatchebt genitor ai tool now to your smartphones more easily. We've got finally the iPhone version available of course to service Android Google owned Android devices in the future. Let's break it all down, Rachel met some place to say is here, and I'm sure it's a less clunky feel to sort of the user that is so addicted to chat GBT in all its forms at the moment. Just how broad is this going? Is it just in the US thus far? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right now, it's just available in the US. It's a free app, but they said that they're planning to roll it out to more countries in the near future. And as you mentioned, there is an Android app planned in the near future as well.
Speaker 3: And yeah, the delay often companies make an Apple iOS app available before a Google Android. But is there something to be read into that in some way the competition of course between being Microsoft and Google in the like.
Speaker 5: Oh perhaps, I think that's actually a really good point. I mean, I think part of what we're seeing here is there's so many iOS users and they often you often have a lot of them that are using the same version of the souper at the same time, so it might be easier to hit a lot more people at the same time. Android can be a little bit more stratified.
Speaker 3: So that might be some of it. I think we'll have to.
Speaker 5: See when the Android out comes out with the difference is, you know.
Speaker 3: And just as we still try and work out just the unrolling of this particular app. It's interesting and kind of ironic, right that Apple itself has done what many companies are doing and just putting pools on using Chatchipt within its own walls.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry that I couldn't hear the end of what you said. Could you repeat that?
Speaker 3: Of course, Rachel is Apple itself. It feels kind of ironic that Apple is perhaps stopping its own employees use chatchipt.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, we yeah, we've heard that that is going on there. And I mean, on the one hand, that's ironic, but I think it also speaks to the fact that a lot of companies are really trying to figure out how and if they can use this software, you know, and they don't want employees pushing through either personally identifiable information or company secret kind of stuff. But yes, it is a little ironic. That then there is an app available through the app Store for iOS so which you know a lot of Apple employees use iPhones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just from a consumer perspective, of course, Open AI Chat GPT. It was the fuel to the far of why we now talk about artificial intelligence day in day out. It really called the consumer imagination. The people you talk with, the consumer is using it at the moment, Are they in any way worried about privacy about their own chats, about the way in which it follows them around from one device to the next and they can't delete them.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it sort of depends on the person. I haven't looked at the app into the app settings yet myself that specifically, but you may be able to turn off of the like the gathering of the data by opening eye, which you can do on the web.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't surprise me if there's that kind.
Speaker 2: Of setting in there.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think people definitely are thinking about where is my information going when I'm using this, But sometimes it's like, Hey, I just really want to get an interesting margarita recipe, and I think to actually.
Speaker 3: Be ticking helping with that. That's what I was doing yesterday sir, you are speaking my kind of language. Rachel. Let's thank you as we head towards this weekend. Forever Voices AI, you would have been reading about it, of course in the last few days. They're best known for a forever companion service, but it's working with some of the hottest influences on social media to allow users to interact with them using I guess their artificial intelligence. Just announced a new partnership with the twitch star amaranth joining us now for more on the experience. How it's continued to Snowball is John Mayer's founder and CEO of Forever Voices AI. It all started with Karen Marjorie was the one that really caught my attention. She now has eighteen thousand boyfriends through her own AI. Just have you been surprised by the uptick The desire to be having these sort of really in depth conversations with is someone you feel that you know.
Speaker 6: We've been absolutely astonished. You know. This whole story started with me wanting to reconnect with my late father in AI form using his voice and his personality. It turned out that was such a powerful technology that we then apply it to influencers that have these large followings fans that we'd love to meet and talk to and interact with these people. And so with our latest launch today with Amaranth, one of the top Twitch streamers in the world, you know, we're sort of further defining this new era of AI to human interaction where you can interact with an AI copy of the person you admire most.
Speaker 3: How do you, in fact some of the technology behind this, John just ultimately, how are you producing these voices? What sets you apart from others?
Speaker 6: So what we've done here is we've taken a baseline large language model and we've applied these proprietary layers on top of that that we built, such as a personality engine that develops these immerse, deep personalities of ais in this case Amaranth or Karen that we launched last week, where they exhibit feelings, you know, they can connect with you on a deep level, they can share insights. So that's what our personality engine does. And then we also have our voice engine, which is really powerful. So that allows us to take really just about ten minutes, let's say, of audio of an influencer that we sign a deal with where we're getting their rights to their likeness and voice and actually replicate their voice in AI form to democratize access to their fan base, trying to interact with them.
Speaker 3: John, you share in a motive story as to why you first started this wanting to continue a relationship in an AI form with your late father. Similar story for the founder of Replica and her lost friend and a car crash. Now, a lot of Replica's viewpoint is this is about mental health as well as having companionship. I'm interested in the safeguards that you can in place because ultimately, if you'll, as you say, blurring the lines between reality and virtual interaction, there must be some super fans who could get a bit confused here.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. So what we've done is out of the conversations with our ais develop if you're speaking to our Karen AI or today now with amirants from Twitch, what we've done is we've implemented procedures that have automatic detection of a variety of situations from mental health situations to overuse, and so the AI will actually in real time either slow the conversation down if a conversation is going too long, or if it appears someone might be getting let's say addicted, And then what we've also done is built a mental health engine to detect various states of depression, anxiety, and soon to be even cases of bipolar disorder among users so that we can in real time connect them with human therapists and human RAN emerge hotlines if it's ever needed.
Speaker 3: Totally can understand the building of the business for i'mn for example, on only fans already just supplementing how much she can go out and build and profit from this. But who else are you speaking to? And how many actually celebrities are worried about their voices being generated without their rights involved. How people trying to get ahead of the curve with it.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, before this whole story went viral last week of us at Forever Voices AI turning you know, the first influencer into an AI girlfriend, we've seen hundreds of other influencers and celebrities reach out in a matter of you know, the first forty eight hours, and so there's been a bit of a transformation over this last you know, seven to ten days since since this whole story went around the world, that has opened up people's minds to the idea of replicating themselves in AI form, not only as a means of adding additional revenue to your you know, your content creator business, but as a way again of interacting with fans in this entirely new way via you know, this immersive two way audio experience and even soon to be video as well.
Speaker 3: In your original business, did you have rights to those celebrities when you were building those voices?
Speaker 6: So what we started with with Forever Voices was really a series of demos that you know, leverage the technology to show the world what is possible. And so what we've done is we simply donated any proceeds from let's say, an unlicensed demo of let's say Grimes before you know, we get a deal done with our to charity. But the core of our business is through these signed license deals with influencers and celebrities such as the one you know we're announcing.
Speaker 3: Today with m Own. Okay, so Grimes, there's a hint there that's discussions. What about your own discussions, what about your own fundraising? Because I'm sure there might have been a few vcs picking up the phone too as well as celebrities.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been a whirlwind of a week. I mean, we've been in talk with everyone from you know, index to.
Speaker 3: And so on.
Speaker 6: And you know, we are in a position now where we're you know, really turning this into a hyperd scalable business where we see a future in the very near future and I'm talking next two years where every significant influencer that is, you know, looking to make a living off of content or you know, let's say YouTube, Twitch, Instagram, what have you, we'll raise their hand up and say I want to create an AI version of myself. We see every influencer having these in the next one to two years.
Speaker 3: John Mayer, keep us in the loop on it. Found our CEO Forever Voices AI. Thanks for your time there from Austin today. Meanwhile, coming up new voices and new moves from Disney that will reshape its business in Florida or amid an intense battle with the state's governor, Let's just take a quick check on Tesla, because we've got more on a key story of international growth or indeed supply chain for this particular business. How are they eyeing India at the moment? All in Talking Tech that's up next from New York. That's a bloomberg. It is time now for Talking tech. First up by Jews Alpha, one of India's hottest tech companies. It's been accused of hiding five hundred million dollars from its lenders now. The allegation came out of a court hearing on Thursday, where by Jews Alpha faces a lawsuit over who should control the company. The dispute is the latest setback for the self proclaimed biggest education technology company in the world. Meanwhile, sticking with India, a group of Tesla executives traveled to the country talk about locally sourcing components and government incentives, but stop short of proposing any sort of manufacturing its cars in the country. That's while Tesla will eventually look to establish domestic factory in India, sources say the automaker is actually still concerned about India's high tariffs on important cars. And another mask related news, his lawyer apparently has puned the CEO of Microsoft, accusing the company of violating its data agreement with Twitter.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: The letter says that Microsoft has excessed to access to Twitter's data for an extended period of time and comes on the hills of course, the Microsoft moves to drop Twitter from its own platform. In a mask course, He's been pretty vocal critic of Microsoft's investment in Open Ai. Meanwhile, let's just talk about Disney for a moment, because it's closing. That much discussed the luxury hotel at Walt Disney World in Florida. It's actually Nixon plans to relocate two thousand workers to the state, and it's all amid this embroiled battle with the governor DeSantis, and all is carrying on present to get us up to speak, Chris Maum Murray now joins us, of course, of Bloomberg and Chris, I remember the fanfare around that Star Wars related hotel. It was extraordinarily expensive. I seem to remember, why are we thinking it's being closed? Was it because it's Bob japex baby or it's too expensive?
Speaker 8: Certainly was Bob JPEG's idea. It began when he was heading the park, so even before he was CEO. It takes a long time to build those things. Okay, it was a risky project. And you know this totally immersive hotel. He doesn't even have windows in the rooms. You're going there for two days and just spend pretending you're going in space and a Star Wars experience. It was very expensive. Started at almost five thousand dollars a couple for two days. And so it started off initially, you know, pretty strong, but then very quickly you started to see plenty of dates available. They never lowered the price, which I thought was interesting, and I think it's just such an odd ball property, only one hundred rooms. There's not a lot you could do with that space. So right now they're just shutting it down and figuring out what's next.
Speaker 3: And at the same time, they're not going to be spending a lavish amount of money on new h well, new office digs. They're going to be amid this ongoing narrative that they've basically falling out big time with Rondo Sanders. We know that they've sued him. How is this all playing out in terms of just the relationship with such a key employer in the state of Florida.
Speaker 8: Well, Bob Iger Disney CEO's directly turning up the heat. I mean, he said on the earnings call last week that hey, folks, their jobs and investment dollars at State here at Florida, and this week he really backed it up. So total reversal on the plan to move two thousand employees from California to Florida, you as a governor. Desantisis spokesperson noted this is happening at a time general up people at Disney. They're looking for ways to cut costs. But you know, Disney's even flagged that they want to invest seventeen billion dollars in Florida over the next ten years. But maybe they won't be able to do that anymore. The reality is they have to keep investing in the parts. But if there's a project like this move that's unpopular internally and expensive, maybe they'll just mix that.
Speaker 3: Overall. How much do you think this is ultimately costing the company in terms of well, either distraction to a certain degree or just an unknown for those that they employ there.
Speaker 8: It's a huge unknown. You saw a Macquarie down grade to the stock today in Disney's down of bits. There's a lot of uncertainty. The traditional TV networks profits are falling, the streaming business still losing money. The parks have been the star, but how long can that continue? So there's definitely an impact on this when you enter the world of politics. There are some people maybe won't go to the parks, won't see their movies because of the stance the company is taking, and so it's it's a difficult world for Bob vigrating them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we see near ten uncertainties weighing on earnings, valuation and sentiment. So says Timothy Nolan, he's ever at mcquarie at the moment we reference. Do you think ultimately we're likely to see still focus on cost cutting, still worry of course about the issue of whether they have to far more talent and let go of more people. Are we through the worst of it now? Do you think in terms of the trimming down of this business.
Speaker 8: Well, there's no doubt Bob Iger's being very aggressive. A thousand people being laid off. We broke the news yesterday that they're pulling all these TV shows for Disney Plus and Hulu. These were shows that they've made in this great early push and this streaming to sign up as many subscribers as we can, and it's cost money to keep these shows on the service, So they're looking for ways to cut all over the company. My guess is that we'll start to see that improvement in you know, not this fiscal year next one, and so that may be the story for twenty twenty four. A Disney the great turnaround, but right now it's definitely work in progress.
Speaker 3: Chris, it's always great to catch up with you. Thank you, Chris Peal Murray on the enormous amount of business and issues that Disney is currently facing in Florida thus far. Welcome back to bloom Bag Technology. I'm Caroline Hyde in New York. Let's get a quick check on your markets, because we've got a macro story that is pulling back some risk sentiment today. It is the worries about the debt ceiling at the moment, and the news still coming thick and fast, and we understand the White House is saying there's real differences between the two sides on a budget. They're working hard on a bipartisan debt solution where they say the budget talks will be difficult. As far as we know that the negotiator sort of Republican Party, did just walk out of a very short meeting but an hour or so ago, Naszak off by three tens and percent. Mis seeing the ten yure yield react. We're getting a steepening of the yield curve, so heels coming down on the two year. We're up on the longer end maybe that's also something to do with some of the data that we continue to digest. The focus on j Powell saying, look, he will likely pause. That seemed to be the way he was spinning it in his conversation earlier today, felt as though who was looking very much at how far and how fast the Fed has already moved k dowly bank X. On the downside, that says Janet Yellen sort of been hinting behind closed doors with other bank executives that maybe more consolidation is to come that's hitting the regional lenders. Moving on, Let's look at was something in the world of crypto, because some great stories out today Yuchi Yang of our Bloomberg reporting team really talking about the lack of liquidity there is in this particular asset class dropping off, retrenchment from Jane Street, from Jump in particular, and as we see these market makers pulling back, it's really bad for the industry. So trade to say for the past five days, basically treading water at about twenty and ninety nine is where we stand. Let's get back into the world though of well states versus companies. Montana, of course, marking the first US state to ban TikTok now a diverse group of creators with hundreds of thousands of followers. They're suing to challenge the first state wide ban of the popular app arguing that the law violates through speech rights and will disrupt their livelihoods with us. Some always Bloomberg's Alex Barinka, and certainly TikTok was making that case. Do you think they've gone to their content creators to help win that over?
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be the first time.
Speaker 9: Back in twenty twenty, the League council for this suit was actually on another suit against Trump's ordered to block TikTok.
Speaker 2: So it is a little bit of deja view.
Speaker 9: This time we have five creators, a reiner, a veteran, someone who does Dei swimwear, a wide group of people who are coming forward basically saying that Montana is not only infringing on their freedom of speech First Amendment right, they're also running a foul of the fourteenth Amendment, the right to do process. And they're also saying, hey, Montana, I know that the governor is saying that they need to protect their residence from the Chinese Communist Party, but that's actually the federal government's job, and it also runs astray of the federal government's job to oversee national security and foreign policy and also interstate commerce. So this isn't the first time this is the argument TikTok has made, but this is the first real legal fight that will be set up in this latest kind of aim to ban TikTok from a number of US states.
Speaker 3: And at the moment, have we heard from all the voices sort of showing that this is going to be an incredibly difficult plan, whether it's legally speaking to argue, but also from just a way of actually doing it. Have we had yet from Apple and Google of course, to in many ways on the line if it does get banned from January first.
Speaker 9: These two companies have declined to comment, so they haven't actually gone out and said, you know what could happen here?
Speaker 2: And you're right, Caroline, the actual.
Speaker 9: Mechanism for putting this law in place is a little bit unclear. They're not actually saying that Montana would find users or users would run astray for using it, but Montana is actually targeting TikTok. Apple, Google, the App Store is saying, hey, if TikTok's able to be accessed able to be downloaded. We're going to find you ten thousand dollars a day. It won't start until January when this goes into effect. This legal process might actually slow that down if there is an injunction. But that being said, the onus will definitely be on the companies and not the users, even though we have the users here bringing this lawsuit forward and go back.
Speaker 3: To those users because we know that everyone perhaps can uses TikTok, loves the experience, but whats of businesses are being built on it. We've just been hearing about how someone's creating voice AI to be able to expand on that relationships with their fans, whether they're a Twitch influencer or Snapchat influencer. But how much money is being built by some of these influences on TikTok.
Speaker 9: Well, there's one hundred and fifty million users, and a slew of those are small businesses.
Speaker 2: I've chatted to a lot of them.
Speaker 9: You see it from the small businesses like the swimmer designer in Montana who's come forward as a part of the suit, but you also see it with large businesses. You might have a beter creator like Mikhaela and Mguera out of Boston post about Amascara from lorel and it sells out basically globally on all platforms. So the power and the money that actually moves through this platform is pretty large. And that's a little bit of the argument here saying, hey, you're actually taking away opportunities for creators, for businesses who are using this to find their livelihoods, or at least that's the argument that TikTok is putting forth, saying we're protecting them from national security risks. Don't take these things away from Americans who are finding opportunity on our platform.
Speaker 3: Alex Beranka, thank you so much for breaking that down. And I'm very places Alex is going to be covering for N and I next week as I head out to Kata. The Catter Economic Forum is almost upon us, and I'm lucky enough to be interviewing CEO of TikTok over there, so we'll get plenty of questions his direction after this move by Montana. Meanwhile, let's think about more social media activity this week, but in particular when it comes to deal making. I'm inactive, so two of some other businesses and pleas to say right here in New York is Katie Roof usually based out in La but you are deals focused kind of a woman. And I'm interested at the moment what you made of Twitter's deal, for example, because that sort of went under the radar. We're so busy thinking about what Elon Musk is creating, who's hiring, but he's also buying what a tech talent company.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And so it gave us a glimpse into the new direction of Twitter. Who wants this to be part of the X app, the everything app, and so it's a recruiting startup. They actually shut down the business in conjunction with this deal, so it's probably more of an Apple hire of sorts. He acquired Chris Fagy in his business life to be part of the new vision for Twitter, you know, pairing talent and jobs. And this comes right on the heels of the new CEO, Linda Yakarino taking over, Yeah.
Speaker 3: As he's been finding his own talent thus far. I'm interested in what's happening with Meta, another key company that's I'm sure thinking sadly of having to unwind a lot of the talent that it has in house. But well they've been unwinding all.
Speaker 1: The deals yeah, and so this is part of Meta's broader cost cutting measures. They are spinning off Customer, which they actually just acquired last year. They announced it a few years ago, but it took a while to get approved by regulators. And so after spending a billion dollars on this customer service software, which was designed to be for metas advertisers, they've decided to part ways and Customer is now going to be backed by its original VC backers all over again, full circle. They're going to be backed by Battery Venors and some others, and they received a new cash infusion of two million dollars as part of that investment.
Speaker 3: Since of Deja vous, I'm sure. What's also interesting is spinning off is a bit of a theme right now, and in particular I'm thinking what happened over with Ali Baba, right, I mean, how much is the focus on in particularly the cloud business, being one of government oversight or indeed just basic revenue at the moment. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, So we got more details this week with Ali Baba. They had previously announced that they were splitting in the six different units, and so now they are going to fully divest their cloud unit. There has been a lot of oversight there. They also announced that they are going to be ipoing their grocery business as soon as six months from now, and they're going to also ipo their logistics business within the next eighteen months.
Speaker 3: I like that Baby Bubba's as they were being called. Talk to us a little bit about what's happening with the Russian tech giant. I mean, really, it was the only one that we associated with key success in Russia was Yandex Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes nicknamed the Google of Russia. Bloomberg reported today that a couple full of Russian billionaires could take a majority stake in this business. Vadimere Potentin, not to be confused with Wadimere Putin, is one of the potential bidders, which would have to be approved by the Kremlin. But they're valuing the business about seven billion, and it would include the ride healing business as part of the index. The company is actually headquartered in the Netherlands, fight it has a long history in Russia and targets the Russian market and is listed in Moscow.
Speaker 3: What a global conversation. Thanks for bringing it from the la here to New York to talk about around the world deal making. Katie Ruth, great to have some time with you. Thank you. We'll go sickly at global for a minute because the globe. The crypto investment firm Hashki Group plans to raise funds at evaluation about a billion dollars, seeking advantage of course, of Hong Kong's digital asset Push is trying to entice potential investors. Hashkei, which operates one of the city's only two licensed digital coin forses, is in some early stage talks to raise one hundred to two hundred million dollars. We understand that's all according to people familiar with the matter. Up. Well, we'll bring it back to the us atomics latest fund. We're joined via the CEO, Jack Abraham, on Well, why he thinks now is the best time in history to build companies. This is a Bloomberg. Let's talk about the venture studio Atomic It's just raised three hundred and twenty million for its fourth fund, bringing the firm to over seven hundred and fifty million dollars in total assets in management. Joining us now in today's VC Spotlight for more on the strategy for this new fund is Atomic Lab CEO and managing partner Jack Abraham. It's great to have you in town. Jack, great to be here. Thanks for having me split your time between Miami and New York. And I'm interested in just what was the funning environment like because it feels as we've got AI related everyone wants to be writing checks and to be putting into your funds. But what was what was the uptake like for you? How quickly could you raise?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the funding environment, I'd say it is a little bit of the haves and the have nots. We've been somewhat fortunate in our history because we have such a unique and differentiated strategy that most people have actually come to us asking to invest, including actually our largest investor reach out to us cold on LinkedIn. If you can believe that.
Speaker 3: No, who I can't say.
Speaker 7: I don't think I can say, but you would know them if I mentioned them to you. So for us, it was a great process and we're really happy with the outcome. We love our LPs and they're really enamored with our strategy.
Speaker 3: What sort of LPs are you talking about? Who wants to be putting money into startups and diversification in that way At the moment.
Speaker 7: It's a range of your usual cast of characters, you have you know, university endowments, foundations, you have insurance companies, corporations, but also sovereign wealth funds actually interestingly are wanting to employ a lot more capital into innovation, which I think is really smart for them.
Speaker 3: Anyone you wouldn't take money from. I had a conversation with Lexisirhonian, for example, who didn't want to take Souding money for example.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we'd be careful about anyone that we'd bring in. Actually, our processes, we like to get to know our LPs really, you know, three six months at a year plus in advance, so we would have to feel really comfortable and due diligence before bringing anyone into our fund.
Speaker 3: And then the unique selling point is that you basically help bring in talent and build businesses. How unique is that still, because I've been talking to a lot more of the growth funds for very early early stage funds who are basically bringing on want to be CEOs or people that they feel could build a business without actually the business idea in place.
Speaker 6: Yet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's actually very unique. It's a model that we started in twenty twelve, so we created what's now called the studio fund model. There are now hundreds of these studios that have emerged, and I think what's unique about us is it's the only thing we do. We focus on it, we nail it right now. What's happened over time is technology risk has come down. So what you can build, you can build anything. Their building blocks are incredible. What you can solve is incredible. There's so much open source, there's a lot of AI that's available. Obviously, there's a lot of APIs that you can plug and Play's paramount is testing market risk. And what we've really validated is we have an exceptional process for validating and invalidating ideas early on how we'll do a combination of quantitative and qualitative analyses on markets. We have a team of seventy five people, which is pretty large for our fun size that we'll go and look into ideas and run tests. Oftentimes will actually pre sell products to customers, validate that there's demand so that we know, Okay, if we're going to spend all the time and the energy to build this, it's going to be worth it, and it's going to be worth scaling.
Speaker 3: Of course, one of the one that you're most well known for is hymns and hers. I've had a lot of reticence from vcs to do anything really with a consumer right now unless it's celebrity backed in some way, shape or form, or or Kim Kardashian. How are you thinking about where the opportunity is to build right now?
Speaker 7: I think that there's a really big opportunity right now. A lot of people are talking about AI things like chat, GPT. The consumer side of that is interesting and it's happening, and people are using that. It's really growing. But I think the bigger opportunity actually lies in the enterprise. I think AI is going to be deployed into every facet of work you can think of it.
Speaker 2: Every job to be.
Speaker 7: Done in a company, there's going to be some AI layer on it. Every function of a company, every industry, every vertical there is going to be some specialized implementation of AI, not generalized, but very specialized and unique to a company in an industry and a job that's going to make people faster and better at their jobs, more accurate, and ultimately increase productivity across the economy in a really interesting way. We're creating a lot of companies in that space. We have a history of creating companies like Replicant, which is used AI to automate call center technology like Butter that's used AI to help payments go through online and can increase companies revenue by five or ten percents with just plugging in technology for a twenty four to forty eight hour period. Imagine if your top line can go up that much. So there's going to be a lot more interesting ways to deploy that across every sector, in every place in the economy.
Speaker 3: This is as we sink a tougher environment from an economic perspective, and there's a lot of work that's been done to show out of the ashes of a difficult economy come some brilliant businesses. We've seen the latter day crop of Airbnb and Uber be born into that difficult environment. Where are you seeing this talent grow? Where are you seeing these businesses most fruitfully be built.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So in a downturn, there's more talent availability than in other periods of time. We have a flood of talent. We have thousands of people applying to build companies with us, which is incredible. And where's that talent coming from? Some is companies downsizing, but a lot of it is toward the end of the last cycle, people are really gravitating toward the growth stage. They were figuring, you know, look, I can go work at a company for a year or two. It's going to go public. I'll have a nice payday, and then I'll be done. Since then, you know, that's been delayed. Some of those stocks have come down. So all of that talent, which is an incredible group of talent that knows how to scale companies, they're boomeranging back to the early stage. So I think I think that's one thing. The second thing is there's dramatically less competition in an environment like this, as you'd imagine in a crazy environment, everyone's getting funded. People are copying your ideas. Every VC wants to fund number two, number three, number four. It can actually destroy the market, which is pretty bad. And then the third thing that I'd say, you know is really important in a downturn is you learn the right habits as a company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're forced to.
Speaker 7: Actually half of the fortune five hundred companies were created in downturns or recessions. According to Morgan Stanley's are very unique discrete periods of time in our economic history. If you can measure unit economics, make sure it's a good model, make sure that it can scale on its own. You're bound to build a good business in good times in bad times, and we're really leaning into that as a firm.
Speaker 3: Come tell us about the ones that you're building in the future. Atomic CEO, Managing partment. Great to how you hear Jack's right, Abraham, Let's talk biotech. Describe Therapeutics a platform for chris genetic medicine. It's just locked in a deal with Prevail Lily to create genetic medicines for neurological for neuromuscular diseases. This is the company is actually getting ready to give a talk a little later today on the potential of its platform and of Chrisper technology more broadly, and the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy's annual meeting amid this busy day an afternoon with please say skribe. CEO Benox joins us now for more on all of this, and I mean then, just remind us what you're telling at this event, the power of this technology. Ultimately, your ex editor, what are you going to be saying? Makes it different?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So Caroline, great to be here with you.
Speaker 10: What we're actually talking about at the Merchant Society for Selling Gene Therapy later today is really laying out our crisper by design approach, which is an approach that I've been pioneering with Nobel Laurea, Jennifer GAWDNA and co founder of Scribe really for the past decade. Our approach has been to use holistic molecular engineering, or the ability to change these crisper molecular machines at every single location to create more active and more specific and therefore safer therapeutics. So one of our scientists will be laying that out today, and.
Speaker 3: You have designed by approach has been well Eli now working withl Eli Lilly of course as a parent company, exclusive rights really to focus on your technology and use it within a neurological and neuromuscular disease context. How is this going to drive this forward? Why do the deal now with this particular company?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I think you know there's a couple of reasons here. First, obviously, our technologies have continued to advance and we've been proving them out in vivo models, really demonstrating their ability to be delivered into these organ systems. Namely you know, neurological and neuromuscular diseases more specifically, I think it also represents a change in the field and thinking about how we can start to apply these technologies for really more more complicated and more difficult to treat disorder.
Speaker 3: Sense of timing here, Ben, because much enthusiasm around Crisper and around how it can change medicine, But is all this happen in the next year, the next ten years?
Speaker 10: So I think it's somewhere in between the two. There's still a lot of work to do. And will I do not want to say that this is simple. That being said, we have seen Crisper go from really publication within the past decade to really making huge differences in patients more recently, and that is incredibly rapid. I think that just demonstrates the power of this technology. And that's the first generation, right, what we're building really you know, light years ahead of what's come before. We're very excited about our ability to move this rapidly and into diseases really at a much broader scale.
Speaker 3: Can you give us a sense of how it is to do that within America visa the other countries? How is this sort of technology being the ability to quickly start to target these sorts of illnesses, the sort of partners that you get. Where do you think is the most practical and most efficient to do it.
Speaker 10: Ah, that's a deep question and one that actually has many layers. Right, If we're talking about more basic technology building in the United States has incredibly powerful universities which we get to work with and we do quite regularly. So we have a very close collaboration with UC Berkeley obviously where Jennifer works, and the Innovative Genomics Institute as well. Now, when you start to think about regulatory and moving beyond just building these technologies, I think that's where the world is also moving very rapidly, perhaps in some instances even more quickly than we.
Speaker 3: Are in the United States. Thank you for keeping it global for us. Thank you for fitting us in on a very busy day for us. Subscribe CEO, Ben Oaks, we wish you well, Thank you very much. Indeed, Meanwhile, when that does it for this edition of Blomberg Technology, you do not want to forget to check out the podcast. The way that you can absorb all that we've been discussing in an audio way, of course, go to Apple Spotify, iHeart even of course, on Bloomberg dot Com, and stay tuned for next week. We're after Kata and bring some great conversations from New York. As a Bloomberg