Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to drop alike on this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers, back with another postgame edition of the show, and Jacket is a happy episode as the Diamondbacks not only beat the Dodgers in Los Angeles, but do so in emphatic fashion a final score of nine to three. D Backs jump out on top in the first inning, Jack with a couple of runs, something we've seen quite a bit of in recent days. The Dbacks have been good at scoring in the first inning, and this time they were able to back that up and Eduardo Rodriguez was very very good on top of that.
Speaker 2: In the past, I've always had a fair on trepidation when we face a bullpen game. Seems like a lot of those have been pretty tough, and other teams bullpen games have been able to shut the d Backs down. That was most decidedly not the case tonight, And like you said, it started early and just kept building through all those middle innings and even laid into the game. So, you know, just a terrific win for the Diamondbacks and you know, good to see the Dodgers struggle the way they did.
Speaker 1: They were on the struggle bus throughout this game, Jack, there was there is a whole lot that went wrong on the Dodgers side of things, and I think that is undeniably a part of the narrative of this game. Like, yes, the d Backs did some things really well, the Dodgers also goofed up so many times that you felt like this game was kind of handed to you. Certainly having Shoho Tani scratched before this one, turning it into a bullpen game. As you said, that was also a big lift. I mean, anytime that happens, that's that's going to be a huge help. But we'll start with the positives, the things that Diamondbacks did do well in this game. I think if ever a game were to be rightly called the Tim Tala Game, I think this would be at Jack. He went three for four in this game, a home run, which was definitely the biggest swing of the night for the Diamondbacks. Game was still two to two at that point. Hits a two run shot to put the d Backs out in front four two. They never lost that lead from from that point forward. So just a huge game for Tala jack and it felt it felt even more significant maybe given that Tawas started the game at first base, and this obviously comes on the heels of the d Backs making a substantial decision there last night.
Speaker 2: King of the court, that's the phrase, right, I mean, you know, he put his stamp on this game for sure. Jody Jackson was just asking him, you know, do you feel like tonight you made a statement? And he said, well, I think it was a really good step forward. He acknowledged that, and I think everyone would concur I mean, in addition to the home run, he had a couple of RBI singles, even stole a base. You know, Tim Tower's first thirteen games in the major leagues, he had two doubles, four homers, and at ten seventeen ops with nine RBIs. That was his first thirteen games. I think a lot of people forget that because subsequently, you know, he really had a tough time making the adjustment as the league started to just give him breaking pitches down and a way over and over. You know, he swung through those. You know it swung and missed at those, and then later just swung through and missed at everything, even in the middle of the plate, and the strikeouts just zoomed up. This year he had very sporadic playing time, but he went down to Reno and didn't hang his head and if anything, did the exact opposite and just absolutely crushed everything in everyone in his path. Earned a recall, and here he is. So look, you know Tim Tower had thirty one homers in twenty twenty four. We know he has power. That home run he hit tonight was four hundred and twenty nine feet. That was no cheapie, So you know more please obviously. I mean, you know, he's still got a ways to go just to get over two hundred. So where he's you know, I think he's still like ten points off or whatever. But great to see. He's a good kid. You know, he works hard, good teammate, He really tries his best to play the game the right way, plays good defense, he tries to do all the little things. But he's got power, and you know, so if they can get some power out of first base, that's going to be a big, big change for the Diamondbacks. It's one game hopefully there's more to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you you mentioned that Tim Tawa has power, and I think it can be easy to forget that or to not really buy into that, given that, you know, he still has a slugging percentage that starts with a two. But I think there's legitimacy there. I tweeted this out during the game. Tawa's bat speed on that home run was eighty five miles an hour, which is a really big number, kind of number that not every Diamond back hitter is capable of reaching. Frankly, I think sixty backs hitters have reached that number this season, and the vast majority of them are Arectel Marte, which is, you know, certainly no surprises there. But Taala grades out well above average and bat speed. If you look at his Baseball Savant page, he's at an average of seventy four point two and well into the red in that regard. And I think that's what's made Tahua an interesting player from the time he came up, is that he has a decent approach at the plate, he can draw walks, and he also has this bat speed that theoretically could translate to power. And granted we haven't seen it consistently at the big leagues yet. There's still a long way to go for him. But a really nice night all the way around for Tawa. I think it's also worth mentioning, Jack that this is just five days from the day that Taala was brought back to the majors. Tawa has been optioned a couple of times this season, in both of those happening last month. And you and I, frankly, when when the d Backs made that move to bring Tawa back to the big leagues and to send down lou James Groover, it felt a little puzzling at the time. I mean, Groover was starting to find a rhythm at the plate, at least it felt that way. He wasn't getting much playing time, but he had a nice run in his final few games that he played. And then Tawa, frankly, had just struggled and in every stint he's had in the big leagues the past couple of years. So it was a puzzling move at the time, Jack, but Tawa certainly rewarded that decision tonight.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And look, you know you're gonna cycle guys in, You're going to try to get lucky the old catch lightning in a bottle, and they'll be looking at what he was doing in Reno and say, Okay, let's let's try this again. I think it's just as simple as that.
Speaker 1: Eduardo Rodriguez, of course, also a big part of the storyline in this game. You and I were texting after the first inning, Jack or I guess a couple of batters into the first inning and kind of wondering like, Okay, is this going to be the Duardo Rodriguez regression game or whatnot. Certainly Dodger Stadium is a place where something like that could happen, but it didn't. To e Rod's credit, he gave up back to back home runs to Otani and Andy pay Has to start the game, and he very quickly just put those swings behind him and continued to work around the edges. There was a little bit of hard contact here and there, but really not a whole lot. I think the Dodgers only had one batter one guy get to second base after those two home runs. The rest of the way through e Rod's outing six innings, two runs for him. He had five strikeouts in this game. Of course, the two homers that he allowed one walk in there as well. So yeah, I think you and I had debate about whether the d Backs should have should have sent him out for the seventh inning. Kind of a moot point with the way that this game ended. But we can say for sure e Rod was was very good once again, and he's going to carry a two point two nine e ra into the All Star Game in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Who was right on that debate?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not willing to concede there, Jack, I don't. I don't know if there's a right and a wrong when the Diamondbacks win, you know, by six runs anyway, and we have no idea what would have happened if they left the Rod in there. But uh it, we can say that the game worked out just fine pulling e Rod when the Diamondbacks did. And the other benefit there is that e Rod maybe is in better position to actually pitch in the All Star Game on Tuesday, and I'm sure he would he would love to do that.
Speaker 2: I think that was a big point, and you know that that's being mentioned in the chat here as well. Look, you know he did it. He actually had two guys get to second base. He gave up a double Detucker in the fourth, and then Pat has hit that blop single that sent Brojas over the third in the fifth, but he got Freeman to ground out on a really sharply hit ball, and you know, I kind of that's when I started thinking, Okay, that ball was hit pretty hard to Vargas, and you know, the balls almost past him in the outfield when he spun and made that play. I don't know what the mile prower was on Freddy's shop, but it looked like a pretty was.
Speaker 1: Like one oho. I think it was one of six I remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that was a hard hit ball. And he comes out, so he gives up a line out to center field the Mookie Betts, and then he walks his first batter of the game, Tommy Edmond, but he gets Tucker looking and he gets uh Thiasko to pop out. So at that point, I honestly felt like, I think it's time just pull him. I know he's only eighty seven pitches, but you know he's probably gonna need at least a dozen fifteen pitches. You don't want to send him over one hundred heading into the All Star break. I just felt like everything in my gut said, yeah, pull them. They got an eight to two lead. I think scoring the two runs in the top of the sixth inning making it eight to two really gave Toy that buffer that he needed. So, you know, that's the way I kind of felt it was going to go down anyway. Was not surprised, and I was on board with it. But all that's a moot point, Like you said, looks six innings, seven hits, two runs, one walk, five strikeouts. Yes, the two homers. Edward Rodriguez is the Diamondbacks All Star pitcher, and well deserved. I mean, he's had just about as good a first half as any Diamondback has. I mean it might be one or two you could nitpick, but he's in the top three or four first halfs, you know, pre All Star break seasons any Diamondbacks really ever had as far as results are concerned, not with the strikeouts and the expected stuff. But we'll take the results.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll absolutely take the results. And I think e rod bouncing back to me was maybe even more impressive given that his last outing didn't end well either. I mean that was technically three consecutive batters that homered against EDWARDA Rodriguez if you go back to what Jake Bauers did in his last game against Milwaukee. So yeah, to see E Rod just just bear down and go to work from that point forward in a tough environment was really really impressive to see. So the Diamondbacks get a big win here against the Los Angeles Dodgers and Jack. Do we have a piece of news of some sort.
Speaker 2: Yes, Alex Degostino, my mate over at Diamondbacks on s I just texted me the update. He said, negative X rays, but still evaluating. In regards to Ryan Waldschmith.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're a if you've been a Diamondbacks fan for about a year or more, you've come to be very skeptical of negative X ray results. So we'll maybe hold out for a more thorough investigation there. On Ryan Waldschmidt, he was technically was a foul ball, but it also made contact with a couple of his fingers that looked like when he was attempting to lay down a bunch. So hoping for the best news on Ryan Waldschmid. At least a good starting point there with the negative X ray. We've got a lot more to get to in this episode. We're going to talk about the Diamondbacks search for first base help, which I don't know. Maybe that's a mood point now too, Jack. Maybe they don't need it, Ryan, now that Tim tala is out here having three hit games and driving in four runs. But we will talk about what Mike Hazen said on that topic. We'll also discuss some injury updates and things that really could have a big impact on how the Dbacks approached the trade deadline. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's territory right after this.
Speaker 3: Look in summertime, it's cool in the morning, hot during the day, cool again at night. Rarely am I sitting there going, Oh, I'm just gonna do one thing at a time. I'm bouncing from work, I'm bouncing in the yard, I'm running to a game. Fabletics has got me with price, comfort and versatility with all the gear that I'm getting from them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're talking about premium activewear you'd expect from higher end brands, but without the price tag. Lightweight, breatheable, comfortable, built to actually last. And if you're going to Fabletics, you should be joining as a VIP, which completely changes the game. You can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory, and hey, I guess we're gonna do it. We're going to just jump into this quote that is on the screen right now. Diamondbacks, of course, may make a big move last night the decision to designate Paven Smith for assignment. We discussed that in our episode last night, and Mike Hazen spoke on the possibility of the d Backs pursuing help at First Base, and he said that he is on the lookout for help at First Base. You can see in this story here from Nick Pacoro over at the Arizona Republic, Haysn said, I'm at the mercy of the market in some of those cases, I can't really tell at this point given the amount of teams and the playoff races on both sides. I can't see the trademarket heating up before the end of the month. Nick continues to write here. Hazen said he is looking into any type of potential fit rentals, multi year Big leaguers, even younger players, and so this is interesting Jack. I certainly would think the d Backs would be open to making an addition here if an opportunity arises. But it sounds like this is something the team is really pursuing and not just you know, looking at long term options. If you could find your first basement of the future, certainly the DBACS would be interested in that. But Hazan even mentioned the idea of getting a rental at first base as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've we've talked about Nathaniel Lowe. I mean, he could fill that spot. You know, there are other players out there that could potentially be included in this. I mean, I think I sent you a little report the other earlier today a number of players. I mean, I think it included fellas like Nolan Seanuel, which isn't a power guy, included Spencer Spencer Torkelsen, It included Spencer Steer, who's been kind of moved off first base, you know guys like that. I mean, you got to look at teams that are definitely selling. The other one was if the Nationals fall out of at Luis Garcia Junior but they're still in it, so they're not selling the Tiger email would they sell Torquas and they're only like three games out? But the Reds and Angels are almost definitely selling. You know, Spencer Steer, I mean he's got a seven forty nine career ops one on two ops plus eighty career homers. You know, I think he played center field the other day, so, you know, because he got moved off first thanks to sell Stewart. So I don't know. I mean, like, these are just some names that I was looking at. You never know who's going to show up on their actual radar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the name that really stands out is like, oh man, that would be awesome is Louis Garcia Junior from the Washington Nationals. And I know you mentioned that the Nationals are not in a cell position right now. That is definitely not the case today, but maybe it could be a few weeks from now when when these teams actually have to nail down these decisions. I Frankly am still skeptical that the Nationals would want to trade Luis Garcia Junior because I believe he has another year of team control after this one. And I mean they took they've taken a big step forward this season. If I'm them, I probably want to run it back with this guy who broke out and had a you know, an eight to fifty ops this season, or at least that's about where it is right now. He's been really really good for them, and it would bring some balance to the lineup as a left handed hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the situation there would be if they fell out of it, if they just, you know, all of a sudden lost seven in a row or something. And you know the other thing is is they need pitching in that organization, So you know, it would cost you a pitching prospect or two, you know, and so you'd have to be ready to give up somebody good, like a Mitch Bratt or something like that. Not proposing it, just saying that's a typical kind of kind kind of cost here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean I think that would be totally reasonable. I mean, Luis Garcia Junior has an eight eighty five ops now, so I mean, that's a really big number, and if they're going to actually let that guy go there, you know they're going to really want to get a lot, So that would probably be far fetched. And you know, scouring the market, it doesn't feel like there are any obvious fits here other than Nathaniel low I the d Backs want to go a rental route, it seems like he would be he would be available in terms of the internal options here. Jack. Of course, that's a possibility here as well. Hazen did not rule out that the d Backs could look at a Tyler Locklear or a Manuel Pania forcing their way into this conversation. Talked about Painya a little bit on yesterday show. Tyler Locklear has been on a pretty nice run here lately, Jack, I was crunching some numbers here on his game log. He has a where did I put this? He has an ops of eleven forty five over his last eleven games entering today, a good walk in strikeout rates. Today was also a big game for him. I know, he had a couple of hits in a walk and hit another opposite field home run, which was good to see. So Locklear, maybe you're a little skeptical of the Triple A numbers in particular because he put up huge numbers in Triple A last year and then when we saw him in the majors, it just didn't work. It didn't look good. But I think there's a world where Locklear forces his way back into this conversation. And of course lou James Groover is still is also in Triple A and very well could find his way back to the big leagues, just like Ryan Waldschmid did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, it depends on who's available, who's selling, who they can get, and what the cost is going to be and whether they can meet it. And so you know, Mike's just saying I'm open to anything, whether it's a rental one or two year control guy. You know, he's got to be looking down the road and saying, you know, do I have a long term answer at first base? And they're still evaluating all that. Now. You know, performance can go a long way a nice hot streak. I mean, if Tower got hot, you know, just for example, and you know, interested out that this the next couple of games pretty good and came out of the break and you know hit well for the first week, does that cool MIC's jets. Did he say you know what, I'm gonna roll with this guy, or does he say, no, this is just a hot streak, I don't trust it and still try to make a move. That's that's a big question mark right there.
Speaker 1: I mean the thing with Tawa as well is he does play a variety of positions, So if someone like that gets hot, it doesn't necessarily preclude you from going out and upgrading at first base. You could move Tawa to basically anywhere on the diamond and maybe capitalize on his on his value that way. So yeah, there's maybe.
Speaker 2: Lordus Curiel's at best. He's over five again tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Lord is at bats jack have been They've been rough, and I know that people are talking about like, oh, he hit in every game in San Diego, and you know, there have been some positive signs, I guess, but at some point you got to see the slug And that's the thing that I've that I'm really waiting on with Lordis Guriel. And frankly, if it isn't there, I think he's just at a really difficult point in his career. Lordis Guriel cannot make a living hitting. You know, two forty two fifty with singles, He doesn't draw walks, his defense and left field is not what it used to be. So I think he's got to start hitting some homers here at some point. Jackie has just two on the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. I mean, you know, he's going to be the next person that's going to be in everybody's crossairs if he doesn't turn this around right away. And he has only got two more games before the break, and then those ugly numbers are going to sit there for five days, you know, and then he's going to come out of the break. Is he going to be hot, Is he going to be ready? Who knows, you know. But if he doesn't start, like you said, hitting with power, it's pretty much toast time for him as well.
Speaker 1: We don't need to go too deep on this. We weren't really planning to go down this road, but I am curious what what you're thinking of Corbyn Carrol right now and just the stretch that he's in. I don't I don't think. I don't think we need to be ultra concerned. I mean, Corbyn is a supremely talented athlete. He still as an ops in the mid eight hundreds, but I mean I think it's four for forty three something like that, that he's in that level of slide right now. And the eye test Jack looks I hate to say it, but it looks just about as bad as it did in twenty twenty four, when you know he was he was lost for a better part of the first half of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm concerned, you know, be lying if I said I wasn't, you know, the two weeks into it, I was like, Okay, you know, fine, he'll be all right. But you know we're past that point now. You know, this is really I mean, even before this forty four PA stretch, it was kind of uneven right for a while. So I don't know if there's anything wrong with him for I mean, he's just you know, he came back from the hemm, he's had tweaked his shoulder not too long ago, roaded his ankle earlier in the year. He had some back and groin injuries. Not injuries, but you know, he was banged up, and I think he's been playing banged up all year long, you know, and he's gonna I mean, he's gonna go out to Seattle and he's got to travel and he's got to play a few innings, but you know, for the most part, he's only got to play about three innings maybe and take one or two at bats over the next you know, he's gonna have like four or five days of that and hopefully that allows him to heal up and come out of the break. If he comes out of the break looking like he does now, then it's you know, for a long fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard. It's hard for me to be alarmed by, you know, someone like Corbyn Carroll. We know how much he cares. We now talented he is, but yeah, the the eyes hasked, I mean, he just it's not just about him chasing pitches out of the zone. It's it's really just his ability to lack of ability to hit fastballs in the zone, and teams just continue to attack him that way. It has been very, very, very very effective against him. We have more to get to in the show. We're going to hit on the Diamondbacks trade deadline plans at large going into the deadline, which is now just a little over three weeks away. We got an injury update on Michael Soroka, which is interesting and some updates on some other guys as well, so don't go anywhere. We'll be back on Snake's territory right after this.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred Gambler, we.
Speaker 1: Are back here on Snake's territory. Shout out to all of you joining us in the chat. We really appreciate you being here. If you haven't already, really helps us out with the YouTube algorithm gods that we are beholden to. If you would drop alike on this video really does a lot for us. Also, if you have not already, you can subscribe to the channel. Hit the bell icon for notifications you never missed an episode of the show, and if you're joining us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. It also really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review. So thank you in advance to all of you for being here, for doing all of those things. We really appreciate it. And speaking of all of you, we did want to give a shout out to Bailey, who said in the chat, I love you guys. It's my birthday. Could you shout me out please? Absolutely, Bailey, We're all over it. Happy birthday to you. Thank you, Happy birthday, Bailey. We very very much appreciate you being here and hey, getting a DBAs win on your birthday, I mean, what more can you ask for? Right especially at Dodger Stadium, Dbacs win by six runs. I mean, this is this is pretty much pretty much best case scenario.
Speaker 2: It's a tough you know, getting to win or getting to hang out with us. I don't know what's the bigger birthday gift, but no, Bailly, happy birthday, very very very happy you're here. Thank you.
Speaker 1: To get to some news here, jack I guess we'll pick up with the negative part of this, which is that Michael Soroka has had at what we I think can now call a setback in his progression returning from that glute injury. He threw a bullpen and didn't bounce back the way the d Backs wanted him to, and that bullpen has gotten pushed back. He is now expected to throw again on either Tuesday or Wednesday, and the team was initially hoping he could be back shortly after the All Star break. Now it seems like there's gonna be a bit of a waiting period even after the All Star break, and at that point Jackie wonder about the trade deadline, which is a little later this year on August third. Is pretty important for the d Backs to get Soroka from an on field standpoint, certainly, but also from a trade deadline standpoint, if this team is in position to sell, I think he is by far the most valuable piece they would have to offer.
Speaker 2: I mean, this keeps getting pushbacks to the point where you know, they're not using the words setback, but we are. They're using pushback. I mean, I think he threw a bullpen session on July fifth, and then he was supposed to throw another one around the ninth or tenth. That got pushed back to the twelfth Sunday, and now it's pushed back to next week Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, So you know, now you're looking at the fourteenth or fifteenth. I mean, they had a whole plan. He's going to throw a bullpen on the twelfth, and he was going to throw a bullpen on the sixteenth, and then from there the next outing was going to be lives and then maybe to a rehab start. And when he was on that timeline, I had mapped it out and it looked to me like he could probably get in two starts before the trade deadline. Now he's been pushed out again, and so now they're right up against it to try to find a way to get him at least one start before the trade trade deadline. So this has potential impacts may on many levels. Obviously, first and foremost is you know, Soroka's health and getting him back to pitching healthy. He was doing so well. Now he's got to get built up again. He's been down long enough that he's got to get built up. And even getting that one start before the trade deadline, I mean, he can't afford to have any more even one half hour of a setback to still be able to get that in. I think, So, how does that impact the trade deadline? If they're going well but they can't count on Soroka, they're going to have to go get a starter probably. On the other hand, if they're selling Soroka was their best trade chip, and who's gonna pay up for him now if they can't prove he's healthy. So there's a lot of multitude of potential impacts here.
Speaker 1: And I guess that's a great segue looking at the standings and seeing kind of the current picture right now. The Diamondbacks with this win, actually did gain a game in the wild card losses from both the Phillies and the Marlins. Today, d Backs now four and a half games behind the Marlins and the Phillies, who are tied for the second and third wild card spots right now. Padres lost today's the d Bacs have officially moved in front of them in the standings, and also worth noting, things have gotten a little bit closer in the middle here. Cardinals have cooled off a little bit. Pirates and Nationals are right there. Pirates at one game over five hundred Pirates or Nationals one game over five hundred Pirates the exact same record as the Diamondbacks here. So you know, there's a there's a world jack where if the d Backs can you know, somehow win a couple games against the Dodgers this weekend, a couple more games, which, granted as a very very tall ask, but there's a path here for the d Backs to you know, only be one or two spots away from from that third wild card spot, and even just needing to jump, you know, two teams to get in there, as opposed to the four teams that it is right now. That would that would make the discussion and feel feel a lot different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, the Dbacks have a long way to go here as far as actually being legit playoff contenders. They need to get on a run. It's just that simple. I mean, it would be great if they can win one of the next two games head into the break having taken a series in Doctor Stadium, they come out of the break and then they got a roll. I mean, they really got to just run rough shot over their schedule. They got to find a way to do that. There's got to be a six game winning streak. There's got to be eight of ten, eight and two stretch against decent teams and teams that they're fighting against, you know, to actually prove that they're capable of getting into a playoff spot and doing anything when they get there. You know, they have to show that they're a good baseball team. There's treading water. A couple of games on there, a couple of games over five hundred isn't going to get a I don't know if it's going to take eighty seven or eighty eight wins to get that third wildcard spot. I'm fairly confident it's going to take at least eighty four or eighty five. You know, so they got long ways to go just to get there. So let's let's see how that rolls out. You know, I'm the playoff odds guy, and I'm always putting him out there. Well, you know, I'm not really going to start paying a lot of attention to that personally until they're back up over twenty five thirty percent, Like you need at least a one in three dice roll before it's a serious consideration.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think that's fair. And that's why it's it's important for the Diamondbacks to uh to maybe jump over some of these teams in the middle here, the Nationals and and the Pirates certainly have an opportunity to do that. And Mike Hazen, in his discussion with reporters today also you know, talked about how the third the last wild card spot has has improved with the Marlins going on this surge, the threshold to get into the playoffs has has increased over the past couple of weeks, and Hayzen talked about the d Bacs needing to meet that or even exceed that in terms of their their own pace right now. So it's it's a high bar to clear. With the picture in the National League, we can all dream about this baseball team being in the American League, where the d Backs would probably be in pretty comfortable by position right now. But that is that is unfortunately not the case you mentioned this weekend and the series the games, the game's coming up here. We do have an interesting development here, Jack, and it feels like maybe maybe you mentioning this on our show recently, is what made the Diamondbacks do this?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't actually believe that, but there there is an odd coincidence here of you putting this out into the world and the Diamondbacks considering it kind of right around the same time, and that is Zach Gallen being used with an opener and Tory Leavello. This is also from Nick Pacoro's story today. Levello said the club is considering using an opener for right hander Zach Gallen on Sunday against the Dodgers. Nick notes, if it ends up happening, it would mark Allen's first relief appearance in eight seasons in the majors. And there's a quote from Tory here, We're thinking about anything possible at this point. We could potentially do that. They're going to hit Otani and Freeman at the very top, no matter who they're facing. It's a classic case for an opener. We did that with man to ply a couple times last year with Nelson and it worked well. So Yeah, I think it was a great point by you that this would be an opportunity for the Dbacks to try to salvage some value out of Zach Gallen. And the Dodgers are a great test case for this. I mean, it's one of the best offenses in baseball. They've got a couple of really good left handed hitters at the top, so you know, throw Brandon Garcia in the first inning and and maybe maybe that changes the mood of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Our good over at Arizona Sports Today is day about this on the radio show as well, And I guess Dave had seen me talk about this and see me write about this, so he went he used that as his inspiration to ask Tory, and Tory gave this answer. Now, it didn't take rocket scientists to try to think along with them and follow the bouncing ball. They didn't do this because I mentioned it. But you know, sometimes we can kind of figure out what the possible conversations are based on what we're watching. And I think a lot of it is not just me looking at it, and I think all the fans all our listeners can see a lot of the same things. So you know, certainly I wasn't the only one to think of that or to mention it, but it was good to see Dave Burns also get that question in front of Tory today and so that became a topic in the pregame interviews with Nick and the Gang as well.
Speaker 1: Other quick updates we want to give before we get out of here. Corbyn Burns has begun a throwing program. He had an MRI today that showed a significant healing. This according to the reporting of the guys out in Los Angeles right now, So good good news there. Jack Corbyn Burns still certainly a long ways away. He's going to have to start from ground zero again and try to build up to a starter's workload. So I don't think this necessarily means, oh now he can come back in August instead of September. We're probably still looking at September here, but maybe there's a world where it's it's the beginning of September as opposed to the end. And if the dbacs are you know, two or three games out of the playoffs or whatever on September first sliding Corbin Burns into the rotation. It would make for a fun storyline if nothing else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be great to have him back. You know, even if it wasn't in a rotation. Maybe he just came back as a long release and you know, built up two, three, four innings and you know, maybe you get in the postseason and you can use them. You know, certainly it would be great to have him back. Hey, I wanted to just give a quick shout out to our good friend Gray Mantle four in one of the I think you left to comment asking where you could get such a cool hat. Well, if you if you go to the top of the page, there's Snakes Snakes Territory Shop dot com, and you can get this hat. You can get this shirt, and you can get a coffee mug, you can get lots of other stuff, and yes, we are selling So I just it is a cool hat. It's a great logo. I just you know, I love this logo. I just think it looks so cool. So, you know, definitely take a look at the shop if you if you want to wear some of this some of this merch.
Speaker 1: There you go. Shameless plug Snake's Territory Shop dot com. All sorts, of great stuff to be found over there. Thank you to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate it. Gray Mansell says, I live in a cave, Jack, so thanks for the info. Yeah, it's the only way to not know about Snake's Territory shop dot com is to live in a cave. Pretty much everyone else has gotten the memo at this point, so well, thank you again to all of you for being with us for this episode. We really appreciate it. As always, you can find us on Twitter as well. I am at Jesse N. Friedman. Jack is at Sho Wizard fifty nine in our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI Jack. Dbacks have a tough customer on the mound for the Dodgers tomorrow, it's Yoshinobu Yamamoto. Gonna be tough to find a way to even win this series even after taking this first game, but d Backs it would be really important for them, really good for them to end this first half on a high note.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully tonight gave them confidence and you know they can go out and beat a good picture.
Speaker 1: There you go. Well, thank you again to all of you for being with us. We really appreciate your time and we'll be back with another edition of Snakes Territory very very soon.