Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, and.
Speaker 2: Chris cross the Pacific from San Diego up to Vancouver. There's just so much that we don't cover being here on the far and distant shore. Geens Soroca owns the high ground here driving all of the Los Angeles Park technology. He's been doing it for twelve fourteen years. We're thrilled to We love when he comes in because he just gives us a flavor thumb up or thumb down. Right now, on Pacific transport, given a war thumbs up.
Speaker 1: We've seen a lot of fits and starts because of trade policy, the warner around. There are five conflicts happening in the Middle East right now. Yeah, the sewiz Canal effectively has been running at ten to twenty percent efficiency for four years. So cargo has really started to move into that southern California gateway over this time because it didn't.
Speaker 3: Have that many options.
Speaker 1: But you know, Tom, compared to COVID nineteen when we saw those ships backed up and the pilots of cargo, things are moving normal. We've moved more cargo during this time period than we did during the peak of the peak then, and not one ship is.
Speaker 2: The back onion members happy? Are they working triple overtime?
Speaker 4: Kind of bait.
Speaker 1: I see some of these guys at the Elks Club for happy Hour. They're getting a lot of hours on the job. They're working, they're throwing the cargo, they're hustling. Yeah, they're the best in the business.
Speaker 4: Like, Yeah, it's like overtimes.
Speaker 5: Making comparisons to what the market was like at the height of the pandemic and how improved, how much more efficient it's running. I mean, talk to us a little bit about those lessons you learn from the pandemic. Are they paying off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Damien. Two things.
Speaker 1: Number One, we had to be humble, lean on each other, kind of open up the books a little bit and see.
Speaker 3: Where it went wrong.
Speaker 1: And it was probably a little bit of communication laps, folks doing things on their own. Nobody trying to do anything sinister, but everybody was out there just trying to edge ahead for themselves. Second, the advent of technology, whether it's the truck reservation system, being able to see cargo forty days before it lands on the shore of Los Angeles, all of that makes us smarter.
Speaker 3: Leaning on each other made us better.
Speaker 5: You know, Tom, This is amazing because you know, if you look at JP Morgan, a lot of these people and what they're talking about, what they got wrong here about the impact of inflation, of horror moves of Iran on inflation here in the US, is that the demand destruction is real, like the way that the consumer has adjusted their demand patterns in order to adjust to the supply. Shop talk to us about what else you're seeing from the perspective of the consumer. Are you seeing volumes still continuing to expand, Are they, you know, kind of getting a little constrained here?
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Davian, the example is happening right now. We saw small to middle sized importers bringing in their cargo a little bit earlier than a traditional peak season. Two main reasons. One, the temporary tariffs were expiring on July twenty fourth. I know my price, I've got a window. I've got to speed the cargo to market. And then second, the fuel adjustment factors in the shipping industry lag by about three months, so they saw a day when that price was going to spike. Let me average my cost down, get as much product in as I can.
Speaker 4: I look at this Jane and wrapped around it is.
Speaker 2: I think it's eighty eight different cities in Los Angeles, and Los Angeles is like bigger than Rhode Island.
Speaker 3: That's right, in eighty eight cities in LA County.
Speaker 4: What's the state?
Speaker 2: You'res such a great voice for a La down trodden billionaires tax everybody's moving to Austin, Texas, or they're moving up to the Central Valley, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: What's the real story of LA right now that you see.
Speaker 1: One in fifteen working Angelinos have a job related to this port complex and supply chain.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's super powerful.
Speaker 1: We've got twenty million people that live in southern California, so when we do all these imports, we got a lot of mouths to feed. We've got a lot of consumers. We also have the largest manufacturing base of employment in the country, four hundred thousand jobs in La County.
Speaker 4: Dot knows.
Speaker 2: My father used to lecture me on this, like McDonald, douglass and the rest of the way back aerospace in all.
Speaker 3: It's aerospace defense four hundreds.
Speaker 2: And thousand Richfield, you know, I mean, you're not even old enough to remember Atlanta Richfield. But the bottom line is did you just say it's the largest manufacturing base.
Speaker 3: Of employment in the country La County.
Speaker 5: You know, I have to ask you this, Gina, and I'm sorry to shift gears, but you know, I haven't heard much about the rebuilts into the wildfires hit Malibu in La County. I mean, can you give us a little bit of insight as a local there? I mean, are we seeing people, you know, move back into the area. Are people building there again? Talk to us a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: The progress and the resolver two different things. Folks absolutely want to get back into Alta Dina to Pacific Palisades and even the edges of Malibu that were that were burned so badly. But one thing that's real are the international and tariff policies. Softwood lumber that comes out of Canada. Appliances that are made in the Makuiladora areas of Mexico steal with fifty percent tariffs. Furniture and footweark are up ten percent or more over last year. It's more expensive to rebuild, and then, of course, as you guys have reported, there's a gap between the insurance coverage and the rebuild cost, only exacerbated by teriffs.
Speaker 2: She's a rucker where there's from Los Angeles driving all over the port there. Love having them in with the flavor of southern California. You grew up in New Orleans. You're in school in New Orleans, which is humidity and heat. Now you're out in Southern California, which is I guess dry and heat, and it's getting a hotter. Discuss climate change. Is it affects your staff, the customers of your operation. It's getting hotter out in Phoenix over to La, isn't it? It?
Speaker 1: Sure is?
Speaker 3: Tom and feel it. I feel it.
Speaker 1: And the thing that we look at the most is in that harbor enclave at the Port of LA. We've got two hundred and sixty thousand residents in San Pedro, Wilmington, Harbor City, Harbor Gateway, and Watts. There are millions more that live along these key commerce corridors. We believe it's our job to bring that health risk down through reduction and pollution. We've reduced diesel particulate matter tailpipe pollution by ninety one percent since we started our clean Air Action plan in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Did Jay once again a month? I got to get this one question and Damien takeover. Gee, how do you respond to forty five tankers stuck in the Persian Gulf?
Speaker 1: Having lived and worked in the Middle East for five years, Tom, I'm keeping up with my business contacts and lifelong friends that I made during my time stationed in Dubai. This is really tough because it's the crew members that are on these vessels that have been stranded. Now we're in our six month of this war, and there are other conflicts happening throughout the region that have put an unbelievable amount of stress on these people that guide the ships and the supply chains they support. There's an adage in our industry. If your port gets shut down for a day, whether whatever the case may be, it takes about three days to catch up. We're now six months in this war, straight of horror, moves closed, open, really closed. It's going to take a long time not only to get these ships back into rotation, but to repair the damage that's been done through this war torn region and future proof it.
Speaker 5: You know, I'd love to ask him about why the Dodgers have just lost six in a row, whether or not you're worried about it. But Geen, what I really will ask you is about a Nino and how you expect the port to adapt, you know, to climate change. To rightly point out, I mean, Tom, I think he hit the nail on the head here. You know, there's going to be some interesting dynamics. What are you expecting through the second half of this yearfl Ninho really does continue and it starts to even you know, get stronger here.
Speaker 1: Well, this is not meant to be to the detriment of any other port.
Speaker 3: Ricardo Vasquez, who.
Speaker 1: My friend Katin, who runs the Panama Canal Authority, good friend, great businessman. He's now faced with some issues. Yeah, what we're doing is not taking his cargo. We're planning in the event he can't move as much product through his three locks in the canal. How do we prepare in Los Angeles to get ready? I see that just on the drawing board here probably a five percent up ticking cargo because some of it will move to avoid any type of concerns in the supply chain. And we're working with our Harbor Trucking Association Robert Loyer, our terminal operators, our rail partners, and longshore labor to make sure guys down the pipe. We see a little bit of an uptick. Let's get ready with our skilled labor, land and machinery to take that on. And if it doesn't happen, there's no shame in that. But we've got to have the preparedness based on these changes in supply chain patterns.
Speaker 4: We welcome all.
Speaker 2: Of you across America and of course early morning Pacific rim as well, from San Diego up to Vancouver farther north through good Morning Whistler, where I think it's almost sixty degrees. It is probably nicer the way you choose to listen to us. Thank you so much on Serious XM, and of course Good Morning ninety two NINEFM, Boston, ninety nine one FM, Nathan Hager Radio Washington in Bloomberg eleven three to zero Jobs Day and about I'm doing the math fifteen sixteen minutes with a great lineup. But this is just a joy on a summer Friday to talk to Gene Soroca about the pulse going north from the port. We have stereotypes here, but as you go up to San Francisco up to Portland, Oregon, all that Carnie and Canada is doing on their west coast. It's basically a booming How many miles I'm going to say one thousand miles?
Speaker 4: Am I guessing pretty close?
Speaker 1: It's booming right absolutely, and so are we. This Port of Los Angeles is in a period of time right now, Tom, where we've really lined up our commercial business. The relationships run deep across the supply chain, and the financial setting that we're in right now has never been better. We've got one hundred and sixty capital improvement projects on our dashtar.
Speaker 4: Give us an example of that. Give us a capital improvement.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I'm in New York this week. We just signed an agreement with the Newsomb administration California Governor Gavin Newsom's administration build a new bridge that traverses from the residential areas in San Pedro to Terminal Island. I'm here seeing banks and financial institutions to work on a P three concept that's never been done before.
Speaker 3: We're really excited about this.
Speaker 1: We're also building a new cruise terminal that's being helped out by a number in the industry, including Carricks at SSA, and for the first time in a generation, we've got bids due in December for a brand new container change. The investment at the Port of la is off the time.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. The bridge has got to be the truck Scooball Bridge. Oh my god, it's got to be.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I just thought Gene was in town basically meeting with his colleagues at the Port of New York and New Jersey, you know, like going golfing and outside of port of limits.
Speaker 2: The state of the ports here from three thousand miles away, Yeah, it's quick to the state of the ports here.
Speaker 1: Beth Rooney runs the Port of New York and New Jersey. She is one of the best in the business. And these guys mean so much. You're within drive time of two thirds of the American population. With cargo coming in and out of this gateway. It is essential for the American economy.
Speaker 5: I mean, do you regularly interact obviously with the Port of New York, New Jersey, but Port of Savannah, you know all these I mean, do you guys kind of you know, like like you readily point out, you know, preparing for some you know, some sort of something happened with the Panama Canals. You guys kind of all work together to make sure that logistically speaking, you guys are on the same page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and contrary to popular opinion, we all get along extremely well. The pockets of cargo, the people that we serve, and the jobs that we have to do every day are so important to this country and our local communities. It is a really good band of folks that we have working together at ports in the US today.
Speaker 4: He has never said anything negative.
Speaker 5: He has the gift.
Speaker 4: It's unbelievable. What's along shoreman make?
Speaker 1: Oh, it depends. These guys out on the West coast do really well. But this is one of the most dangerous.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't answer my question. They're popping big six figures right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they make a good middle class wage. Now you've got registered lawn shortman about nine thousand.
Speaker 4: They make the middle class.
Speaker 2: Ways if this America was build on after World War Two, these are guys making a legit middle class.
Speaker 3: Wage on average north of two hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: It's why is it evaporated from America? Why have we lost the jobs that were middle class in Detroit, the jobs in New Jersey that were middle class, the ones you're living right now at the port.
Speaker 3: Again, we look at Detroit.
Speaker 1: We do about thirty billion dollars worth of business with the OEMs and Detroit and the tiered suppliers throughout the Ohio Valley. I've been impressed by what Michigan has done to modernize around the industry. You got four miles of electrical cable and cars. Now the price being at fifty thousand dollars for a new vehicle is problematic, and it is symptomatic of what we've talked about with respect to inflation and trade policies. But the state of Michigan is behind its automotive industry.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, I know, if you're going to lend me, I mean I'm happy to ask, please, Geane, what outside of you know, meeting with banks and finance and trying to get you know, funding for you know, you for with our hopefully great investments. Talk to us about you know, demand for those meetings, demand for infrastructure, demand for infrastructure investments. Are you seeing you know, people you know willing to put their hands in their pockets in this enbob environment with yields where they are to to to lend to you over the long term.
Speaker 1: I do, And this week in New York it's been super encouraging the way folks look at it is and for agencies like ours, we have to invest through budget cycles, economic cycles, and even election cycles.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: To build this new bridge from Stem to Stern will be about seven to ten years.
Speaker 1: So we can't get to the point where we're wringing our hands today because things don't look exactly perfect. And that's what the big thinkers here in Manhattan we're telling me this week.
Speaker 2: The Turk Scooble Bridge. Do you know the Dodgers have lost six in a row and they're still playing well.
Speaker 5: They ran into a bus, they ran into the Red Sox, right, and then I think the Cubs just got them the.
Speaker 1: Cuts, right, Yeah, they got swept two series in a row, one at home, one on the road.
Speaker 4: Crisis.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: It's one hundred and sixty two game season.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go through bumps, Okay, back to back World Series champs.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna count them out.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Thank god Detroit named at the Gordy Howbridge and not the Terrek School Bridge.
Speaker 4: Jeans Soroka, thank you so much.