Speaker 1: They Around the NFL podcast hads thoughts on Tarantino's OOVRA.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another edition of Around the NFL. My name is Dan hansis coming to you from a virtual room build with some heroes across the Southland. Patrick Clayban is back with us love it, Mark Sessler, of course, and Colleen Wilf, the woman who told us on the Tuesday program, is in the midst of a Tarantino marathon. How's that going?
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 4: I just finished in Glorious Bastards. That's always been my number one fave. It remains at the top of the list. But I'm having a hard time right now slotting the top tier pulp and kill Bill because I loved kill Bill so much on the second watch, and I actually like two better than one. But it's like, do I like them enough to if I think if it's if kill Bill one and two are being considered one movie like Tarantino likes to go by, then I think I'll put it over pulp Fiction. But if we're breaking it up into individual kill Bill, then I would have to go pulp fiction, kill Bill two, kill Bill one?
Speaker 2: Wow? Is that a prepared answer?
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm just really deep right now in this thought.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised by that that you would me too.
Speaker 3: I'm also surprised.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've been asked even because we're doing something later today. We're answering my questions. But someone asked that Tarantino question over and over, and it's like, kind of your top five and kill Bill is never either one of them are never in my They never break my top five. What Also, it's like that sounds like we're like we're slashing the film. It's it's just that there's five I like better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think and maybe like Colleen's experiencing this, when you go back and watch and you kind of detach everything from the context of when you watched it, you kind of get a new perspective because like everything's always changing and there's always little things that jump out to you more. It's good. That's why rewatched are important.
Speaker 2: Pulp fiction will always be my number one. Once upon a Time in Hollywood is very securely in my number two. I adore that movie, and then number three. It really is a rotation for me, and I don't know where I am right now. Maybe it's kill Bill, maybe it's inglorious bastard. It's you know Jackie Brown. Mark we talked about a lot that sneaks in sometimes and gets the bronze medal.
Speaker 5: It's so under Jackie Brown is my number three and like I think it's still his most underrated movie of all I really do.
Speaker 2: All right, this is around the NFL, A study of the complete works of Quentin Tarantino. Well, maybe one day, not today's show. Today, we got a lot to get to. It's a mail bag day. I like this. This is gonna be fun. I like this quadrant. Greg's still in mother in law Japan, enjoying his vacation, trying not to bother him too much. Enjoy Greg. I hope you're one with the culture over there and everyone's having a good time. Here. We have this a great Sessler Wolf Claybon hansa quadrant which I don't know how many of these you've had, So let's see how it goes. Uh, the mail bag is full and sometimes and I'm very I'm very honest Patrick with the audience when they fail the mail bag prompt. Sometimes they just don't. You get too many of those, like, oh what would you rather, you know, defeat or go up against a giant duck or seven thousand mini ducks, and it's like, shut up, stop, just stop. A great question like it, Oh, if you were on a desert island, which one of the heroes would just stop it?
Speaker 5: You will dark that one up. And I think that people have stopped sending that particular question.
Speaker 2: But this week I thought the listeners killed it. And we all kind of put our hand in there and and are choosing some questions and we're going to go around about It's gonna be good. Patrick. I like it.
Speaker 6: I'm excited. This is my actual first Mailbag episode. I've always missed the Mailbag episode, so this is this is it for me.
Speaker 2: And you know, Patrick, you're a man with many interesting takes, and you're in terms of like the things that you enjoy talking about. It's a vast swath. It's not just football. I feel like this is a perfect exercise for the man they call Claybond. How far are you but your inside NFL Network studios right now? How close are you to the giant photo of Russell Wilson across a giant wall with his hand is like his hands clasped together, staring at the camera and integrity splashed across him.
Speaker 6: I always know exactly where I am in relation to that picture, because integrity is important to me. I am three hundred and fifty feet I think seventy two steps, depending if I have to dodge somebody. And if you need me during this pod to take a picture of integrity and tweet it and just say integrity, I will do that.
Speaker 4: You should definitely tweet it too, Dan, because he thought it said dignity, which will be the Dignity Room.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's only slightly less ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Well, I feel like there's a lot of art around our building where like had had these, you know, they decorated it this summer and Russell Wilson had fallen off a cliff. They're probably picking a different player for that image. They've got a Odell Beckham that they repainted from a Browns uniform to now are rams, but they've not made him in Baltimore Raven at this point, so I don't know. We're tracking that one closely.
Speaker 2: It would be cool if there was like kind of next to because it's not just Russell Wilson, it's different NFL figures. And then you know one of the what was those at the old malls. They would have the posters that were motivational posters. It's kind of like that. It's it's very serious photos of various figures in the NFL and then a word that I guess we're supposed to stand for. I would like it. It was just a very serious shot of us all around the NFL gang and then just like Bozo's.
Speaker 6: Crime the podcasts, it's a mark of art. My my favorite because downstairs, right on the newsroom floor, the second floor, there's three hundred feet of stylized pictures of NFL legends that run the full style gamut. There's like Jerry Rice in a in a robe and a crown, and then there's a random picture of Brett Favre. But it's not Brett Favre. It's like a weird looking cartoon that has nothing to do with the entire rest of the wall. Somebody put in a lot of work, but it's I don't.
Speaker 4: Sound like an easter egg of some sort. This was like a purposeful I hain't no idea.
Speaker 6: It's looks it looks like a like the Dilbert drawing of Brett Farv matched up with all of this hyper realistic.
Speaker 2: Artwork in theatric Somebody did that bort for You've gone too far, Patrick, someone did that the effort.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of art that that I don't necessarily get shout out to them. They've got more talent to me. I draw a stick figure, but I think it's appoorpriate because Brett Favre is a cartoon.
Speaker 3: You got to show us this.
Speaker 7: Let's see at eight. We believe in truth and authenticity. Our company is proudly based right here in Texas, and all of our beer is brewed right here in the good old USA, So I've got to call it like it is. There are a lot of beer brands out there that are trying to cash in on this holiday by slapping an American flag on their package, regardless of whether or not they are truly American.
Speaker 2: Joey Aikman not just jumping into the beer wars with his new Lagger eight, also the culture wars, apparently, mister CLAYBN because it's not I wouldn't say it is vague what he's going for here. If you're a real man, if you're a real American, and you don't go for all that other junk drink my Texan beer.
Speaker 6: He should have had a troop come stand on it so it could literally support the troop, and then like it would be the most troops supporting beer ever.
Speaker 3: I learned how to flyover would be good too.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the news. Oh my god, I by the way, seek that out and watch the entire video, because he in case that wasn't on the nose enough, he goes in a little harder at a certain point and it ends it with a big old swig of eight bad news, everybody. We got more gambling stuff to talk about. It just came down before we start taping. Isaiah Rodgers and Rashad Berry of the Indianapolis Colts and free agent Demetrius Taylor are being suspended definitely through at least the twenty twenty three season for betting on NFL games. This season. Also, we had heard Rodgers was facing a big band, and there it is. Titans offensive tackle Nicholas petite Frere, who was a starter all throughout last season, is being suspended six games for betting on sports at the workplace. We have a slight update here that the Colts very quickly moved to release the players involved in this Rogers and Barry and on the side of Petite Freer. In a statement to ESPN's Adam Schefter, he said the betting I engaged in was not NFL related and was legal under Tennessee law. It is only because it is only being sanctioned because it occurred at the Titans facility. He went on to apologize, so he got got as well. Patrick. This continues to reverberate across the league, and at some point perhaps this will we'll stop seeing this, or perhaps we won't. Perhaps this is just a part of the new reality of the NFL, now that gambling is part of what the league does.
Speaker 6: Yeah, eventually, I think through discussion of this, I think more people will become updated on the policy. I don't know what the policies and what the forms look like for them. I know we go through extensive training to the point where if somebody even mentions it, I'm like, hey, if I'm not to show this specifically referencing it, I'm not talking about this because they'll come down, and if they come down with these guys, they'll come down on anybody. So hopefully everybody gets it because this like guy's getting released. That's I hate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't even like walking past a sports book and a casino because I feel like someone knows that I'm there and I'm just like in the vicinity of one, because I'm in an actual building that houses gambling.
Speaker 3: Like it is very, very I.
Speaker 4: Think the policy is obviously tough to understand because these players keep getting in trouble and the wrinkle of them being in the facility but placing a legal bet under the terms of the agreement like that is that's that's a tough stitch for him and also for Nicholas. He was the only returning starter on that offensive line, so that's kind of a blow for a line that's already trying to find its footing for next season.
Speaker 5: It was interesting that Petit Freer said that, you know, even though we attended the lead presentation on the gambling policies as we have, that he was unaware of his specific because he got six games. The others are indefinite. They saw that case differently. It's it's it's Thursday turning into Friday, and we're heading to a July fourth weekend. I feel like I would I would I would gamble that there will be more of don't.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, don't don't.
Speaker 5: I will. I will suggest to it there, I will, I will have this. I will predict that there will be more of these, not only during our show potentially, but over the next twenty four hours as they try to like, have this occur to raise awareness, but then have it go away during the July fourth weekend because it's not what the league likes to have us talking about.
Speaker 2: In other news, as I quickly move away from it, the Patriots and wide receiver DeVante Parker are doing business together. First reported by NFL Network, Parker, who is entering the final year of his contract this season, has agreed to a new deal through twenty twenty five. As part of that three year contract, he could earn up the thirty three million if he achieves every per game roster bonus and hits all playing time and performance incentives that includes all Pro honors. According to a source via ESPN, Yeah, so again, it's with these contracts read closely because that thirty three million. He ain't seen that thirty three million in Kate unless something really special happens here. He's entering his ninth year, Parker, he totaled thirty one catches for five hundred and thirty five hundred and thirty nine yards and three touchdowns last season, So Mark, it didn't blow the doors off the joint they met with the DeAndre Hopkins. It seems like they need another guy, but they must like Parker enough to potentially keep him around longer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he missed games last year. I mean, he's never you know, been a total whirlwind. But they only had outside of Juju Smith Schuster, they had no other veterans sign beyond this season, so I think that played a part of it. I don't think it has anything to do with DeAndre Hopkins at all, or it doesn't slow down their pursuit of him. It opens up a little bit of cap space, but just sort of some of the people that are close to New England, the pursuit of DeAndre Hopkins continues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it done. What are we doing? Just if you you met with him two weeks ago. Now, he's still out there. If you want him, go get him.
Speaker 5: Certain I think he's waiting to see if someone else, you know, in time, due to calamity or whatever, wants him more.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously the Patriots think that Parker is going to be more consistent than he was last season, and I would think, but maybe I'm like really interested to see what happens with Mac Jones and Bill O'Brien, like how this whole relationship and how this offense looks different from last year since since it was so disastrous.
Speaker 2: Devonte Parker had one big season it was twenty nineteen with the Dolphins, seventy two catches, twelve hundred yards, nine touchdowns. He has been a you know, almost like a textbook definition at least statistically replacement level player all other seasons. So, Claybohn, this story, this doesn't do much for me, just like most of the offense of New England as it's currently constitute, does not do much for me. That's my take.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you have to kind of the Matt Patricia era New England Patriots offense. You almost kind of just got to throw it out and say, like this is this is a new start. Clearly, like we know that there's a relationship, there's so many common pieces between Bill O'Brien and Mac Jones that there's there's place to believe that it can work. But again, like as you mentioned, Dan, it's around ten million dollars, Like ultimately that's guaranteed to Devonte Parker, like it's a six million dollar cap hit. People reacting to thirty three, it's like, oh my god, this is it's not enough to change the Nuke situation. And I honestly think, like considering the teams that Nuke has played for in the errors that he did, that he does want like it's not just lip service, Like I want to go to a franchise that has consistency and there's a clear idea for what they want to accomplish, and that that might be the Patriots to It just might take him waiting to figure that out.
Speaker 2: In other Patriots news, tragic news, former backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, who had a seven year career in the NFL after starring at Arkansas and College, died Tuesday in an apparent drowning at a Florida beach. He was thirty five years old. It was an incident where first responders were called to this beach in Destin, Florida, as a group of people swimming in the Gulf of Mexico near a sandbar, according to the report, struggled to make it to shore. One of those individuals was Mallet not breathing, pulled out of the water and they were not able to revive him. Terrible, terrible story. He was once upon a time the third round pick of the Patriots, brought in as a backup behind Brady. Never saw a lot of time with the Patriots because Brady never came off the field. In a statement Tuesday, Belichick said that he was extremely saddened by Ryan's tragic passing, and Tom Brady on social media wrote, we lost a great man. Thank you for everything. Ryan. Unbelievable and very sad.
Speaker 5: Mark Sessler, I mean, you know, like just an awful, awful situation. It stopped me in my tracks when I when I read it, because you didn't know what the cause was out of the gate. He was a football coach. Currently, you know, Mallet is We're we've done the show long enough where these players, not just the stars, but these guys that came in with a little bit of hype in the league and showed a little bit of promise were part of our show. And I just remember like having an era a year or two where I was pounding the table for Cleveland to make Ryan Mallet their starting quarter.
Speaker 2: You had a passionate speech about that, right, yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, our show and it's not you know, we that's not we don't need to go down that wormhole too deep today. But like there were things too as a player that there that his arm strength and some of his fire like just appealed to me. But you know, essentially a backup that became a coach and like you find when you hear like his age, it's just like whoa uh, it's just striking to me. So it's a terrible story and it just one of the worst moments of the off season.
Speaker 4: Oh, it like makes my chest tight right now even thinking about it. But it's like thirty five years old drowning. That's so unbelievably tragic. Drowning is like that's my biggest fear in the entire world. It's so so sad that this happened. And there's just so many the rip currents right now in Florida. You can, I mean, it's all over the news. There's a ton of people that are getting taken under by them, and it's just like scary. You guys got to watch out out there during the summer, especially when storms are coming in.
Speaker 6: Do not mess with the ocean, and that's like the big takeaway. It was a yellow flag day, but that the flags don't necessarily dictate what the individual currents can do, and if mother nature wants you, it can have. People just need to be safe. The sad thing, of course, it's a clear tragedy, but Ryan had gone through so much. He had struggled with issues through his career, and he finally found a place right where he was mentoring and leading children. And to have this happen at this point, it's just horrible. I hope everybody pays attention and you know, looks out for each other when they're you know, enjoying the water.
Speaker 2: Well, said Patrick. In other news, another well near tragedy involving free agent running back Leonard Fournette, who escaped injury after his car caught on fire as he was driving it. Oh my god, he posted Fournette on his Instagram account Tuesday, showing his SUV just all sorts of torn up. It's unclear what caused it. Fournette said, Man, it was one of those days today. But I would like to thank god my car caught on fire while he was driving. But I am still blessed. Fournette was released by The Bucks in March playoff Lenny. Of course, we'll see if he catches on anywhere. Not a great time to be running back, certainly a veteran closing on thirty. But hey man, he's still alive, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you. Like, this brought up a weird memory for me, and I'm obviously glad that just the car went down and no one else. But in like nineteen ninety two, when I was a freshman in college, I was a Browns fan going to Miami, Ohio, and so that's down near Cincinnati. So a couple of us like decided to drive up in a Chevy Nova that this girl had borrowed from her best friend. Oh, and he's like, this is my prize Chevy Nova. Like, yeah, you can drive it, but I don't want an else driving it. And so we there. You know, we go from Cincinnati to Cleveland on this highway. In about you know, two hours into the trip, my friend and I in the back seat noticed like dark plumes of smoke behind us where you couldn't see any cars behind you, and so we thought, well, it's probably a good idea to pull over. So we you know, we pull over and we all get out, and then suddenly, like this mechanic guy in a truck came by and popped our hood and the hood exploded with like green swirling liquids. So I just like, really, I think it's time to get our school bags and our other bags out of this car. And then ten minutes later it was it exploded in general, burning along the highway and burnt to the ground. And so when I saw the pictures, if you go look at the pictures of what happened to his car, that's what that's I've seen that before, and it's just like, it's incredible when a car decides to implode and vanish from the earth, how quickly that happens.
Speaker 8: What what I can't believe I've never heard this story before, was the mechanic okay, who opened the hood after exploded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a very steep hillside, so we all quickly climbed up the hillside and like they put flares up so the cars wouldn't come. But then we had to take a h not an ambulance because we were fine, but it was like a slow moving ambulance to a rest stop, and she had to call her friend and tell him like, yeah, like I just want to I don't know how to tell you this. I was driving, but the car has burned to the ground on the highway between these two cities. So it was a strange. And then the Browns were shut out I think twelve nothing by the Brock was like their first shutout in thirty years. So it's just like a disaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, it wasn't like we weren't being rushed anywhere because.
Speaker 2: It was actually going below the speed limit. It was almost like the ambulance driver was making a point that he didn't feel like he needed to be doing this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that you could argue that.
Speaker 2: These rowdy teens ruining my Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Well, glad you're okay Sunday.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark, Well, good for you, great that you're still around. Finally, in the news, Travis Kelcey did you know? You might not know that when he was playing tight end for the University of Cincinnati, he tested positive for marijuana, suspended that entire campaign, and the views and laws around marijuana have changed considerably in the thirteen years since that incident. Players are pretty open past players, especially about their use of marijuana during their careers, and Kelsey told Vanity Fair that around fifty percent to eighty percent of NFL players use cannabis and that under the more lenient policy that the NFL put into place in twenty ten twenty one, which Josh Gordon was like, yo, bro, why did that not come in like five years earlier? It's easy for players to use weed in the offseason and stop before testing begins. Here's the quote from Kelsey. And then for some reason, I'm choosing to queue up, Colleen. If you stop in the middle of July, you're fine. A lot of guys stop a week before and they still pass because everybody's working out in the heat and sweating their tail off. Nobody's really getting hit for it anymore.
Speaker 4: For twenty bro, yeah, you should have had Greg here t him up first. But if this is if you can walk into a store like essentially a bodega in California and many other states and just buy cannabis anyone off of the street, it doesn't make any sense to me that this is a.
Speaker 3: Problem in the NFL.
Speaker 4: When these guys are going through what they are putting their bodies physically through so much trauma every single week, and then they're not allowed to use something that you're neighbor can use, no problem.
Speaker 3: It's just doesn't really add up. I think it should be changed.
Speaker 4: And I feel like I'm really high. I don't know what that feels like, but I can guess.
Speaker 5: Oh, oh really, because I feel like the estimate would be that fifty to one hundred percent of the staff of this show, including everyone on screen, has experimented with this substance. But that's fine, I'll leave it right.
Speaker 3: There, years past, years ago.
Speaker 6: I think like my question would just be, with regards to any particular substance, why are we testing for it? That would be that would be my question to the league, Like is it testing to ensure player safety? Or is it some sort of respectability play? And like, if so, who is it a respectability play too? Because this is a product that's legal and utilized in most places, and so like, who are we trying? What's the effort? That's That's what That's all I want to know, is who is it for? What's it what's it trying to do for?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 6: For what?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Makes me PARANOI. I don't like it. Some people love.
Speaker 5: It, That's always been true.
Speaker 2: You Dan, like give daddy a Tito's and let's fly somewhere else.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Also you have Aaron Rodgers talking about psychedelics and how that should be decriminalized, and of course he is such a strong figure in this league. So I feel like the more people talk about it, the less the stigma will be.
Speaker 5: Do you remember the days though? Did you ever go through this when like one time I got a like a summer job where I found out and I, as a youth, I did not do a lot of uh smoking a tree on any level.
Speaker 2: I just did not.
Speaker 5: But I got caught at a party doing it once, okay, and then like had like two days later found out that I had to take a drug test for this like nominal job, which I needed. And so you do the thing where like all my friends like drink like a gigantic jar of pickle juice, and so I spent like an entire day drinking like not there, you know, you take the pickles out and you just drink this giant jar of pickle juice. Totally passed.
Speaker 2: If you would have just run around the high school track four times, like done four laps, it probably would have done the same thing. But maybe pickle juice is a better.
Speaker 4: And ultimately, when I was in my school, my parents, my mom washed a bag of weed and then brought it over to me and.
Speaker 3: Said, is this one of Mary's herbs? Mary's my sister is this?
Speaker 4: It was in the It was in the laundry, and I was like, yes, actually it is, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Mary thought I thought Mary's herbs was a euphemism.
Speaker 8: My sister, Mary, is this her herbs?
Speaker 2: Mary's herbs sounds like an alternative rock band playing on k Rock in nineteen ninety six. All right, let's take a break and we'll hit the mailbag. Right, we're back as listeners of the show. No, by the way, before we get to the mail bag, I unveiled the twenty twenty three NFL Superstar Club on the previous episode of Around the NFL. As always creates a lot of debate. Not everyone's going to be happy about it, and certainly a lot of people in my mentions were, Now there's another person, Mark who wasn't thrilled. It happens to be someone that's connected to the Quentin Tarantino film universe, the actor Christopher Walkin on this show, who we know Mark has a connection to the NFL that a lot of other people aren't aware of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, we discovered you get to know certain people like by doing the show, and some of them are surprising. But that Christopher walking is an entrenched New York Giants fan and like you don't hear he doesn't You don't hear that publicly, but like a rabid Giants fan. So I'm excited to hear what he had to say.
Speaker 2: Well, don't speak too soon, because we're both you know. I think everybody in the room here big fans of Walkin's work, but he wasn't a big fan of the latest Superstar club. Let's listen in. According to our feedback system.
Speaker 9: This is NFL that works. Andrew Ceciliado, you ever reached the Around the NFL listener feedback service, please leave a message after the toad.
Speaker 1: My ears, do they deceive me? I am listening to Around the NFL, a program for which I have always had the utmost respect and pow. I'm flawed by the revelation the squon Barkley say quads himself running back for my beloved Warriors from East Rutherford, New Jersey, has been snubbed by the Superstar club. This is nothing less than a total travesty. Anyone who is a fan of my long running Big Blue fan podcast, Walking with Giants, Well, sureley understand my disappointment, my righteous anger over this heinous omission by the Academy. How could they be so mich guided, so obtuse hot Acheson and his entire family. And I'll be damn sure the powers that be I'm made aware of my fury.
Speaker 6: Walk him out. His weapon of choice is threats.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: Are we in trouble?
Speaker 5: Are we?
Speaker 3: Should we be watching our six? What's going on now?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: We're walking on broken glass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the next episode of Walking with Giants probably is gonna be a lot of hissing. I think there, Mark and if you don't want to be in the line of fire of a walk in the legendary figure in Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think people are seeing the passion for beyond the acting, beyond the Thespian realms for Big Blue. But I hope he listened to the show closely enough, because he's got to be His issue has to be with you, Dan. You left to saque out. He was in my in my group, and I mean, you know, if anything, I hope that Christopher Walking can parse the different there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with Mark on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did. I don't. It didn't sound like based on what I was hearing, that he was differentiating.
Speaker 5: Anything like that absurds me because that relationship mattered.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all right, Well that's a little sobering right there, to be quite honest with you, But we are going to soldier on here and open up the mail bag, which, like I said, sometimes the listeners they really blow it and they quite frankly disappoint me, Like how Christopher Walk in Hollywood Legend is disappointed by the Superstar Club. That's how I feel sometimes when I open up the mail bag and I just see garbage.
Speaker 3: Like Dan in full dad mode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like, yeah, I'm not I'm not mad, I'm disappointed, son. Now take out the garbage. I now will say, I'm proud of the listeners for what they've done. Great questions, we're gonna take turns. We all grab some. In fact, you know what, Connie get us going with the first question? How about that?
Speaker 3: Okay, great, so let's start. You know, I love this one.
Speaker 4: It was I saw it last night and I immediately started writing all sorts of notes down because it kind of goes perfectly with the show, and I want to make sure I have the guy's name who sent it in because he wanted to know about our favorite ATN memories and that he has been a longtime listener of the show, and so he wants the top moments.
Speaker 3: Isaiah Cox was wondering. Some that come to mind.
Speaker 4: Are Wes's hat win, Wes's toaster with Damashek, the interview with Tony Romo. So we wanted to know our favorite or most memorable moments. And he's been a listener since middle school, just graduated college, so he's grown up with us.
Speaker 2: Well what he started in middle school, now he graduated college. What does that mean for us?
Speaker 5: Sessler, I mean, we're about five years away from exiting the planet probably.
Speaker 2: That is in all. Honestly, that's incredible. That is such a cool thing to look at it from that perspective. I kind of look at things with favorite memories. Obviously, Wes being around always is are the best memories. So I and I think about specifically, you know the beginning of our podcast where we started to really feel like we were gaining some traction, and those those days where you know, we would be hanging out together after shows and you know, you kind of felt like we were doing something that maybe not everyone was paying attention to, but we knew the show was growing and the audience was growing, and it was like four buddies doing it together. So that's not a specific memory, but that's kind of when I think about what makes me happiest about this show. And maybe the Wes specific memory is after he'd beat cancer the first time and we we did our live show together and everything in the world was in its right place. To quote Tom Yorke, that would be my favorite memory, being on stage and coming and coming off stage and market before we went on and being huddled up together and like just taking in the moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think you encapsulated so much of how I feel, because I can't come up with a with a top. But there were errors to our show and that era where like when you weren't on the air doing a show, you were out hanging out together. There was a lot of you know, we were younger, there weren't there weren't as many kids in the picture. It it was a different time, and I think that our friendships were that made the show what it is, like we're very much alive like when we were outside the building. But I will tell you, like our London trips were incredible. But one thing that really showed me that I was thinking about the way that our show runs when we're not on the air was we went to Sky Sports once and they separated us into two groups. Greg and West were put on a little vehicle with like a bunch of softball questions about fantasy football and a nice couch and they had like oor glasses of orange juice.
Speaker 2: I was like a young beautiful woman that was interviewing them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, like a rising star. And it was just this casual, beautiful, flowing conversation. Then they put Dan and I onto Sky News.
Speaker 2: But they put it's in a freight elevator market sent us down the newsroom.
Speaker 5: But then the questions were like it was before the season, but they were It was like the easiest question was a twenty second like hot like a fireball about Colin Kaepernick, And like Dan and I thought we were just getting some who might win the NFC East, and like both of us were also being rushed because this we were like the last part of the segment, and so while we were answering these questions, the woman off screen that anchor was looking at us being like, go go go, go go go. So Dan and I just like left, like having lost five or six pounds due to sweat.
Speaker 2: And then I remember going back up to the main air the staging area and seeing like Greg and West laughing it up with this beautiful woman. And meanwhile Mark and I were just getting like grilled on live television in London about race relations in America, and it was like, get we got to get out of here.
Speaker 6: It makes me think of the conceit of the Fantasy Corner where everything is all great, and then because is on there dodging helicopters and bullets, and I'm glad that you were there with them.
Speaker 2: That's a great one, Mark, you're up next.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait wait wait wait real quick, I just want to throw out a couple of answers to the question because one of my favorites was when wes Ada softball pants that that whole situation, the lead up to it was so funny. I still don't understand how it even happened. And there were zippers right, like somehow the zippers obviously, but to right the first pridecast after COVID when we all got together and we all actually like did the show again in each other's presence, and it was at the bar and a helicopter landed next to us in the middle of the show, and yes, my dad was there. He was talking about UFOs. It was the kickoff to Dad Summit. That was one of my favorites. A very random one that always comes to mind, and it feels like a sleeper. Was the episode that you guys did at the Owner's Meetings and you interviewed Andy Reid in one of the segments, and I just remember it being so good and Andy played along so well, so that was great. And then obviously my first show with you guys.
Speaker 3: Like uh yeah, and it.
Speaker 4: Was like, the listeners were so great and it was the first time that I wasn't called like a stupid bitch on Twitter, and it was just very nice to be supported. And I immediately knew that you guys were obviously great, but like the listeners were an extension almost of the podcast.
Speaker 2: I love that beautiful, beautiful answer. Yeah, Oh my god, that is funny that that helicopter landing at the dur of the podcast.
Speaker 4: That was it was so chaotic that entire episode was just chaos.
Speaker 5: All right, Mark, you're up, all right, we will We'll go do a little bit of a football aspect.
Speaker 2: Wait to get I started, Connie. That's yeah, I got the warmth in the room here the virtue.
Speaker 5: I guess this is like, actually, maybe this isn't football, but I'm reading it as a football scenario. What take were you the most wrong on? And this is from Maddy Crocker, and I'd say, over the course of as long as you've been on this show, what is the thing that you just simply got the most strikingly incorrect.
Speaker 2: I'll go first, Tom Brady's regression in the late twenty tens, the gradual decline that that turned out to be an incorrect take, and it would be probably my most high profile incorrect take, So that would be my answer. More recently, though, I wasn't alone on this, but me and a lot of other people in January were ready to hand the NFL to Joe Burrow and Pat Mahomes and the chiefs are like, nah, bro, this is not their time. It's still my time. So those are my answers there. Sorry, Patrick, I didn't mean to offend you or talk my talk. Tim. If you want to talk talk yo shit, pimp the Colts for me.
Speaker 4: Like last season, I feel like it's still something that haunts me.
Speaker 3: I was so all in on them.
Speaker 4: I talked NonStop about the Colts every single prediction. Any time that I could talk about the Colts, I would talk about the Colts. And then I watched the Colts and it was awful.
Speaker 6: Mine might have come on my last appearance on the show. We're picking spicy players and I'm put a sandwich on Jalen Rager catching forty balls. So we'll see if that is the most wrong. It probably is. Yeah. No, No, in fact, let's go ahead and say that's the most wrong, even though why not? Why not have it happened? I should have.
Speaker 2: You're pretty smart guy, Patrick, if that is the worst take you've ever had on the show, Jalen Rager forty catches.
Speaker 6: I also don't necessarily have the mental capacity to remember all the times I was wrong.
Speaker 3: So why is that because.
Speaker 6: I'm not very smart?
Speaker 2: Colleagues?
Speaker 5: No, Mark, uh So, I got a couple quick ones, and I think that you know, we don't need to go deep into content because they're obvious. For the most part. Johnny Manziel Everything to do with Johnny Manziel I was quite wrong about. I had some hot takes about Shaq Barrett when he had like one big game and said that he was a flash in the pan. He went on to like dominate the entire season. I heard about it every week. There was a point a number of years ago when I called the Arizona Cardinals the most interesting team in the NFC, and from that point on they went like one in five and were destroyed in the playoffs by the Rams. So incorrect, and I think everything to do with Chip Kelly. I'd end there because I was so into the concept of it, writing you know, long articles and think pieces and believed it was going to revolutionize the NFL. And he was gone like three years later.
Speaker 3: Remember the smoothies.
Speaker 4: It was like the first time that like he was doing individualized smoothies.
Speaker 3: Everything was hurry up.
Speaker 4: The defense hated him, like everyone was gassed by week nine.
Speaker 6: Everything was sports science, literally everything like it's like the way they opened the door. It's like, this is revolutionizing football.
Speaker 3: Time of possession does not matter.
Speaker 2: Mark, don't forget about every undrafted white running back that's ever succeeded in the preseason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I could have made the list longer. I just you know, the.
Speaker 2: Zach Xenter All Stars. We could all make the list longer. All Right, I'll go next. This one is Chargers based, and I thought it was kind of interesting because you know, it's not something that gets a lot of talk, but it is a conversation piece that bubbles underneath. I think on Twitter in certain corners, Colton Ketner asked the question, why are the Chargers and Herbert overhyped every year just to miss the playoffs? Occasionally be first round one and done so? How many times before this stops? I think my feeling on this is Herbert is a stud. He's a superstar. We just talked about the Superstars Club, so I'm in on Herbert. But I think it is fair for people who ask, well, there was almost in some ways on the Twitter verse it became a little bit of an echo chamber, like you better see justin Herbert as the legend that he is and view him instantly as this incredible, once in a generation star. But then he got to look at what has he done so far, and he's entering I think his third year's starter, maybe fourth year. I think this is an important year for Herbert. I think because people will when the Chargers falter with him behind center, will point to whether it's the head coach or the coordinator, or the injuries around the team, and a lot of cases that's fair. But I also think if you truly are as great as you hear people that are smart about football talk about Herbert and almost hushed tones, it's time for him to do something, put the team on his back perhaps and make a run deep into the playoffs, rather than do what he's been doing, which has been a big producer statistically and his great highlight guy. Maybe this is a big year for Herbert because it is a good ross Patrick. This is a team and you could there are question marks at certain places. Head coach, for me, is one of them. I know they address play caller and have that situation maybe upgraded. But Herbert, get up and go and show us that you really are that special guy.
Speaker 6: And all it takes is one right to silence the win one like yesterday we celebrated John Elway's birthday. Right, and through the benefit of hindsight, it's like, oh, it's John elwayd but he didn't always win, right. These things happen late sometimes, and it completely changed things. We had Chargers Day yesterday on Total Access and I'm thinking, Yay, we're gonna talk about the Chargers. Baldy was excortiating the Chargers. We did like two minutes of horrible tackling video, and it's like, they're never gonna win if they can't do this, Like Herbert's not out there missing tackles. You know he sure you can make the case that, yeah, Joe Burrow and Patrick Mahomes aren't going to see the Jags score four consecutive touchdowns and come back and win that game. But also, you know, you need you need other guys to make plays. I think I think they'll come through. But we talk about them because they're a team just like everybody else, and like, don't be mad. We would discuss a team that's fun to watch with fun players, like sometimes only one only one team gets to win. So ultimately I feel like we.
Speaker 5: Talk about I feel like I'd be on Patrick's corner on this one too, because I think part of the question was more globally about why are the Chargers always overhyped, and that predates Justin Herbert, because they've kind of had, outside of a couple of years, a solid roster year after year, like they're in the mix, and right now they certainly have one of the better rosters in the AFC. And I'm the Patrick Pard. For me is that I can't just bake in and assume that the team's gonna have terrible, ghoulish luck like in critical moments year after year, Like is that actually something that a team creates? But then the Chargers keep doing it, so you feel like a double fool when it happens again.
Speaker 4: Well, especially coming off the game against the Jags that was brutal.
Speaker 3: But Justin Herbert, he's he'll be healthier.
Speaker 4: We saw him a couple of times kind of hobbling around last season after he took some shots, or remember that one the Thursday night game that he got put back into. But also I think I'd be interested to hear what the Baldy segment was with the offensive line, because I thought that they would be better this year because they are also healthier. But the receiving corps I think is deeper too because they drafted Quentin Johnston, so in theory justin Herbert should have a little bit more help, and with Kellen Moore there, maybe it works even better.
Speaker 2: Make a run. Let's go, Patrick, You're up all right?
Speaker 6: This one comes from George O'Donnell, and I like it because it's weird, because I'm weird which team would be top of the NFL if offense had to play defense for a season and the defense had to play offense. Special teams can just stay put because there's three and I guess we couldn't do a one for one trade. I would incorporate some special teamers in it, though, and I'm actually I guess I'll just take it and go first. I'll take the Philadelphia Eagles before Colleen does, because I would love to see Jala play linebacker and as well as we could have Davante at corner. I don't know how much Hitt and he could do, but he could do it. I think it would work. And also like Lane and some of the guys could flip over, I think it would make perfect sense.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would love to see it, but also I would not love to see anyone get hurt doing this, but I feel like that is part of the exercise.
Speaker 3: I think too.
Speaker 4: What about I was thinking maybe the forty nine Ers defense could play offense, especially if Kyle Shanahan is running things, because obviously he can scheme things up. But then I was thinking about the Cowboys defense and Michael Parsons he played running back before, and you have Trayvon Diggs who could easily be a wide receiver, so that would be another interesting switch too.
Speaker 2: What if? What if? Because this question kind of breaks my brain, so I don't really have a little bit a conventional answer, but I'll say this, what if, Because we're basically naming just good teams right now, what if there's like a really bad team or a team we don't think is going to be very good. If you just flip them, they became unbelievable, Like all the defensive players on the Panthers right now would be incredible offensive talents and vice versa. Like maybe that's my answer the Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 5: I think the Titans. That's where my mind went too, was like maybe a team has done such a poor job of self scouting that they've actually just need to flip the line of scrimmage and off they go. But my first instinct was with Colleen I thought, like, if you have to trust your coaching staff to do something that no coaching staff's ever done, like I'll roll the dice. And this sounds like a trope for me because I'm always talking about Coline Shana, but like he could take a defensive lineman and probably get him to complete fifteen passes a.
Speaker 2: Game until the fourth quarter in a big spot.
Speaker 5: That's very fair.
Speaker 4: That. No.
Speaker 6: I'm also kind of thinking about the Browns a little bit because, like, you watch enough Miles Garrett basketball highlights and they're like, Okay, like this this is silly. So have Miles at a tight end and Nick Chubb could play whatever he wants like.
Speaker 2: Safety.
Speaker 4: I was literally googling like Miles Garrett, and I was trying to see if you played other positions at any point in his career, like in high school or even like great school, like going back, because yes, I could.
Speaker 3: See it too.
Speaker 2: Something to think about the Superstar Club just one deep right now with Kelsey Miles Garrett as a field stretching tight end. I kind of like that. I like that, Colleen, Oh, right, mail bag?
Speaker 4: Remember hey, okay, this one comes from Christopher w and he says that he used to love, spending a boring work day tweeting random songs back and forth with Wes. So how about he said, how about me a random song you like? So send me, I think, or tweet me a random song you like, nothing too heavy, not a favorite, just a good song. And I've been in this like I've been NonStop listening to music from like the moment I.
Speaker 3: Get up to the moment I go to bed.
Speaker 4: Like I'm sure John hates it, but like he will wake up and there will immediately be tunes on in the house. And I've been going through a little bit of like a dancy phase. So I would like to throw out their High Love by dim Sum. I think Sessler would really love it too, So check that out. Also Come to Me by Lily and Madeline and Offenbach. That's another good one. Good summer, good summer tunes, feel good, their upbeat, they're good to drive to.
Speaker 3: And night drive by John Splithoff.
Speaker 2: I got three, got three from the mm HM mark good ones. Well, maybe let's make a playlist. By the way off this, I like this.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know if you need to put mine on the playlist, but like I was thinking of stuff that Wes and I used to listen to We're kind of like, I'm not sure anyone else likes this, like amongst our group, but like we would go to like the Cozy In and play like Van Morrison's entire Astral Weeks album, probably do the annoyance of some people there, but it was actually very much that that vibe. But the second West song that came into my head, and I don't know where this came from, like Bend Me, Shape Me, that old, uh like fifties sixties hit, because that's what Wes and I would, you know, say to you guys and sing to each other whenever they'd someone would some lug heead would drop in the studio and be like, now you've got to do five extra videos that we didn't tell you about, and like we were just like we thought we were getting out of here and just like bend Me, Shape Me, you know, we're just a part of the corporation. We'll do whatever you say. Forgot about that good.
Speaker 2: Ones, Eric, Eric behind the Glass. Let's let's make sure we're taking these down so we could build out the Spotify playlist.
Speaker 6: Patrick, The thing that popped in my head was Chicago twenty five or six to four. You know it's it always pops up on Random and I enjoyed every time Evanescence bring Me to life, you know, oh why not? And then oh my gosh, what could I do?
Speaker 2: That is move by Lula Chris.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there we go. Why not?
Speaker 2: Good ass songs and good question Christopher right now because I just took the boys to see the New Spider Man movie, which was all right, love the first three second one. Curious what you think pat on that one? H Am I Dreaming by Metro Boomin Aesop, Rocky and Royce. That's a great song. I've been playing that a lot. Song I loved last year Western Wind by Carle Ray Jepson. Uh a random ass U two song Dirty Day off Zoo Ropa nineteen ninety three. And then the last song Wes and I Vibe to Texas Son by Leon Bridges. Oh so good, such a West song, texted him as me as soon as I heard it, and he was like, yeap, been listening to that one constantly. Those are my entries. And Eric behind the glass, go ahead, add one of your of your own, as we well, that would be great. But all right, uh, who's up? Who goes second.
Speaker 5: I believe I am all right. Kyle Overholtzer asked this, Hey, Aten crew, longtime fan. First question of first tweet. I am active duty military stationed in Alaska and I miss being close to the NFL. My fun question is if there was an Alaskan NFL team, what do you think the mascot would be? I guess what we'd say? What would you call the team?
Speaker 2: This? This one felt easy to me. What did you have, Harry?
Speaker 5: I had the I don't. I was sitting out on my porch when I came up with this, and there was a lot of wild vehicles. But the Alaska hell Elves just like something a little.
Speaker 2: Near el Elves wouldn't wouldn't the Browns maybe get litigious about that because they got that stupid elf thing.
Speaker 5: They have like eight mile, They have like eight mascots. They just rebranded the dog.
Speaker 2: So it's like, Yeah, the hell Elves.
Speaker 5: Like Serve and I think it's sort of a mythical being of some sort. Typically you can do a lot with it.
Speaker 2: The mascot not always Hello La Lakers. The the mascot or team name is connected to the region in some way. Are there is there an elves like a demonic elves population somewhere and Alaska. I didn't. I don't know if I'll give you a.
Speaker 5: Firm answer on that, but I think it's just part of the you're creating a new world sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was thinking because I thought it was a great name and it disappeared from a team move and oil, you know, oil, mass production of oil, and Alaska. Maybe still I don't know Seward's icebox. Learn that back in ninety the oilers, the Alaska oilers, bring it back. Let's go, let's fly. If it wasn't good enough for Houston, I think it could be good enough for the Alaska franchise. Oilers of the NHL could have an issue with that, but that we don't care about the NHL doesn't exist in my world.
Speaker 3: I feel like I have the perfect answer.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: It's the Alaskan Arctic wolves. And yeah, okay, I'm biased because the wolves, but Arctic wolves are incredible. They can fast up to four to five months at a time, They survive sub zero temperatures with no clothes, and they can't dig dens in the ice, and they can eat up to twenty pounds of meat in one sitting, So I rest.
Speaker 2: My case, I would already sign off on that if you were the logo, if you were somehow a part of the logo itself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, I'm thinking either like a singular verb like the frost or the allusions, right, and the logo could be the islands or whatever, but maybe the frost.
Speaker 2: Ooh, the Alaskan frost. I like that. This next ques question is from Thomas danelian. I hope I got that right, Tom, Tommy boy, you've done making the leap. But what player or coach do you see going the opposite way? A regression candidate, if you will. What would that be anyway? Is it so we have making the leap that's kind of our ip? Would that be faking the leap? No, you're moving back? Are you making the creep?
Speaker 5: Is it like like half baking the leap.
Speaker 2: Like the create like a nineteen sixties like dance move, but you're going backwards.
Speaker 6: Mistaking the leap like we thought they were going to leap, but they didn't.
Speaker 2: But this is somebody that I guess was, Oh no, it's somebody that you think is going to do it and then doesn't.
Speaker 4: Okay, anyway, like a fall like a fall from wherever.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let me throw out a couple of guys, because I kind of saw it as somebody that had established a level of production and now it's going to go in reverse. This is the second show in a row where I wish Greg was here because Gino Smith, I'm nominating he kind of tailed off a little bit at the end of last season, and now with more expectation and a bigger paycheck, and you know in Seattle, will Gino be as good as he was last year? Probably, but he could be faking the leap also last year. Throw that out there. What do you guys think.
Speaker 5: I'd agree with that. I think there's a case to be made. He's got a really good roster around him. I think that some of the good stuff we saw from Gino Smith were legitimately who he is as a player. So I wouldn't predict doom. I'll give you mine real quick, because mine's a coach. I kind of I did see that tweet and I just saw the word coach, But I think he's a good coach. But Kevin O'Connell, the team goes thirteen and four. They won like nine games in the last couple of minutes, like it's this thing that's never going to happen again. To the Minnesota Vikings, they've spent the offseason like essentially just trying to reach their cap. They've cut a bunch of people. The defense was already the worst in the league last year. I don't know, I don't see them winning thirteen games like they see them winning nine. And then suddenly it's like it's Kevin O'Connell. Is he under a lot of pressure? Hot seat scenario?
Speaker 2: Is it fair to say with the Vikings though, that most of most of us and even probably a lot of Vikings fans saw through it a little bit that nobody ever really viewed that team as a powerhouse, And now with these the cost cutting measures that there's a general understanding that they're not going to be as good. And maybe that is good news for O'Connell in terms of expectations coming off last year.
Speaker 5: Maybe work for him, maybe, But I see what you're saying if everyone remains level headed, because if things turn ugly, no one's gonna want to factor that. You're right. I mean, I think if you want to take it to court, you'd have to bring all that stuff up. But we're talking about football fans, we're talking about talking heads. You know, things get ugly quick.
Speaker 2: Anybody else want to throw a name at there?
Speaker 4: I mean, I immediately my mind went to the Vikings. You could have multiple people just because of their point differential last year, how close all of those wins were. But I'm also just wondering right now in the moment about Jared Goff, would he be potentially someone who could regress with some of the changes that the offense has made in the offseason and the guys that they've drafted, is their philosophy changing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I was going to say, Like because making the leaps so much if it is perception and like the player could still be the same player, but circumstances could turn out a little bit different. And then it's like, oh, well, well they're bad now. But it's hard to have success. Like I don't think we can wipe away what Jared Goff did, but if we also can't like expect him to throw sixty touchdowns. You know, it's just at a certain point, you know, like Kevin O'Connell can't apologize for those wins, and I think six years from now, like those are still going to be wins, but if we could properly contextualize them as we should, it's like, well they got they got undressed in a playoff game at home by a team that wasn't very good.
Speaker 2: I'll throw one more out there, Josh Jacobs, and that's part of the reason why he wasn't put in the Superstar club for me, coming off a four hundred touch season on a Raiders team that's I don't know. I think they'll have worse quarterback play and you know, a very competitive division. You know, there is a track record or the bill come and do when a player gets that level of workload, how how he is the next season. Fantasy heads I would think should be a little bit wary as well. Patrick, I don't know what is the general vibe in the fantasy realm about Josh Jacobs. Is it all systems go that he's going to be the same guy or like, no, what's the vibe.
Speaker 6: I think people want to see something from the Raiders. They want to see like what's Jimmy going to be? Like what's this offense going to be? Like, you know, how's Josh gonna hold up? I'm not thinking everybody's gonna fly out there and have this reclamation, like the people who are acknowledging their mistake with McCaffrey last year. It's like, you take the good players that are going to be in good situations. We just don't know what Josh's situation is right now.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go try to be a little quicker kind of you're up, all right?
Speaker 3: I kind of want to put a sandwich on Josh Jacobs with you, Dan, but.
Speaker 2: We'll do that maybe for September.
Speaker 4: Okay, perfect, all right, forget it's fun, you know we will. There's no question, all right. The last question is okay, this is from Daniel Hall, and he said which division is most likely to be the twenty twenty two AFC West so high expectations coming in and then ends up being mostly paper tigers. And then which division is most likely to be the twenty twenty two NFC East low expectations coming in, ends up being deep and formidable. This question, Dan, as you mentioned earlier, breaking brains. This one broke my brain a bit. But I kept going back and forth with is the AFC South going to be better than people think with what they have done?
Speaker 3: Obviously the Jags. I think that they.
Speaker 4: Will win the division again, and now they have Calvin Ridley and you get more consistency and growth from Trevor Lawrence. And then with the Colts, I don't know. I mean, maybe Shane Steichen can work some magic with Anthony Richardson and his past with mobile quarterbacks and developing them in of offenses. Plus you have the Texans who drafted a ton of talent and brought in I really like the Dalton Schultz edition.
Speaker 3: Damian Pierce.
Speaker 4: He's a star there and Demico could actually turn around that defense with They have some.
Speaker 3: Good good players there.
Speaker 4: Drafted Will Anderson, Derek Stingley junior, so they have good pieces. I'm just wondering. Like the Titans, I think they're going to struggle, and I don't know when we'll see Will Levis, but I just I think that they might be better than we think.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. The AFC South that two rookie quarterbacks. It's a lot of variants.
Speaker 3: There could be three different new quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, three different quarterbacks. I'll nominate the NFC North actually as could be better. The Vikings. I think everyone is universally saying they're going to come way down to Earth, but they still have a core of players. Justin Jefferson's on that team still Kirk Cousins. I know opinions vary, but I don't think that offense is going to create her. I think Madison will keep the running game moving, and then Brian Flores is running the defense, so that could maybe help some things, even though he doesn't have a lot of talent to work with the Lions, I think we all feel like there is a positive outcome there potentially as a double digit win team. The Packers same thing. If Jordan Love plays well, he has some players around him and a winning pedigree for that organization. And then the Bears, like Justin Field's potential making the leap guy the rosters way better. That could go a couple different directions, but they could certainly be much more competitive. I think the other side of it, Mark is a kind of an easy one for me. I think everyone is looking at the AFC East and saying, oh yeah, like everyone's hyping up. Like whenever you're a division that's being hyped up includes the Jets and Dolphins as two teams, people are assuming you're going to be good, like it's probably not gonna happen. Not both those teams are gonna be big time teams, and maybe neither are. But you have Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Pats. Everyone says it's the best division, but these things don't tend to work out that way.
Speaker 5: Well, I think, because we're talking about like last year's AFC West, where it was like can can four teams make the playoffs? Two of them were absolute disasters. The problem is you're playing each other. The Jets' schedule is so brutal. You're asking the Jets also as an organization, and to do something they've never really done. The Dolphins are new at this also. Right now, I trust the Dolphins a little bit more. The Bills come down earth a little bit. The Patriots, to me are sort of middle of the road. I could see a team winning the division with nine wins if they all like in a dog fight, eat each other up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was there was so much player movement and so much like high profile player movement last year, and so much hype for the entire division that I don't think I think it's gonna be a few years where we see that much hype for a division anymore. I think everybody's kind of taken their medicine, so like that, that feels like a perfect storm. But I'm with you on the east Dan, it could go either way.
Speaker 2: Okay, who's up next.
Speaker 6: I'll take the most predictable one ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: This comes courtesy of Johnny ridd Wimill Patrick admit that his take that momentum doesn't exist is complete garbage. The easy answer to Johnny is never. I feel like, honestly like we could come to the stasis here and acknowledge right that for some people maybe positive things does beget more positive things. But it's it's always been my contention that we don't know that, we don't know what players are going through. We don't know how they feel about themselves. Some of the greatest punt returners of all time, you know, you ask them what they're doing when the ball's coming, They're like, I'm scared to death. I don't want to get hit, and they ultimately end up scoring touchdowns. It's like, people are individuals, people are different, and we don't necessarily have all the data. So I just think, no matter how good you are, no matter how positive you're thinking, if you're lined up across from DeVante Adams, like the power of positive thought and going to keep you from him busting your ass, and so like that's that's just my belief. But maybe we could find a happy, happy medium. I'm sorry to everybody's personal belief system that I've offended, but these guys are professionals and positive thought and.
Speaker 5: Patrick, you've also you branded, You've you're this is part of your Patrick experience. Like even if, even in a private moment, if you come to a different fork in the road here and realize that you don't even agree with your own take, you just can never you got a part of the surrender.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, but the brand would. If somebody comes out and defines what it is and like shows me how it works, then clearly that's true for momentum astrology, you know, holistic health practices like just show me and I'm there. But I know that the error goes under the ring faster than it goes over the wing, and that generates lyft. I can't build an airplane, but I can conceptually see how it works, and so I'm okay with getting on one. But when you tell me that, like this energy that binds the galaxy together is moving things and then this team wins because God likes them more or something. I don't know. I'm just I just need to see some.
Speaker 4: God what positive vibrations? Come on and Patrick, it's great over here.
Speaker 3: The water's so nice.
Speaker 4: Try it out in momentum.
Speaker 5: I guarantee you. I can't always riffs like this.
Speaker 2: I can't get yeah, this one, we don't have enough time to really do this, but I will say that the Jalen Rager answer from earlier felt like a placeholder for you to formally apologize to people about momentum. But you're not doing it, and I respect your higg in the heels.
Speaker 6: Show me what it is like. Somebody explained it to me so that I can understand. See student, you know, just a bachelor.
Speaker 3: Some things are just abstract perfect.
Speaker 2: Up next, is I lost? Like the otder? What were you doing? Is Connie?
Speaker 3: No one knows?
Speaker 5: Is Colleen? Now?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: Colleen's all out? She's empty?
Speaker 2: Mark? Did you Mark throwing out there?
Speaker 5: Okay? Hold on, let me just scroll down.
Speaker 4: Mark already out of all of his applications.
Speaker 2: We've lost momentum for the segment because I didn't have it.
Speaker 5: How about this one? There is always a team that goes from worse the first. Who does everyone think it will be this year? The Jets came to mind, the Falcons came to mind for me.
Speaker 2: Let's see, let me give you the options. Okay, Jets, Browns, Texans, Broncos, Commanders, Bears, Falcons, Cardinals. Taking my fan leaning out of it. I'll stay out of the AFC East, and I will say the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 6: Sniped.
Speaker 2: That's momentum revenge.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's true. Yeah, I from here on out, anybody else want to throw it out there?
Speaker 3: Bears are Falcons.
Speaker 2: Maybe Mark can't say it, but he thinks of the Browns, and I think that's a good answer.
Speaker 5: Also, I don't think so. I could see them coming in second, but I don't. I don't think they've got the DNA to win.
Speaker 2: If you could see them coming in second, how could you not see any scenario where they come in first?
Speaker 5: What if they come in second? By three games?
Speaker 6: You know what, I'll say the Jets because Dan feels like he can't say it, so I'll say the judge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think you know that the Jets are a tough ask because I think the Bills will remain a you know, a Titan unless they come down, and then it does get really interesting. There we go, I do Mark. I like Mark's take that the nine wins wins the AFC East would be wild. That would be chaos for that division. Interesting Bills fans don't want to hear that. All right, I'll throw out one more. Let's see. What do I want to go? Let's see, let's see, let's see, let's see. Oh yeah, I wanted to touch on this. I thought this was interesting. This is talking about a little how do you make the game better? How do you help these officials? You know, here's the question. Why do you think the question is from faux real, sofo so real? Why do you think the NFL is fighting rule changes that could help the league, like sky judge or making every play and every penalty reviewable. I think it's mostly rooted guys in pace of play. And I was just I was thinking about this. NBA games are about two and a half hours typically. Major League Baseball shout out to Migo Hermon, by the way, perfect game.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, radically reinvented elements of their gameplay this season MLB and shaved like thirty minutes off game time, so they're coming into two thirty five now for a game. The average NFL game was three hours and twelve minutes last season. That's kind of been creeping upward through the years, and there's a twelve minute halftime that's not going to change. There are around I look this up, there are around fifteen to twenty five commercials per quarter. That adds up to about one hundred commercials per game. And I'm going to tell you something as somebody who works for the NFL, but that's not changing either. Commercials will remain very prominent in a telecast of a game. But I think the NFL might be a little spooked with how the viewing habits of youth culture are. Adding elements that will slow down the game. To stop and check every play is something they don't want to do, and I wouldn't want them to do either. But maybe there's a medium here, Patrick, where you can add something like sky Judge without it being something that grinds the momentum of the game to a halt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the momentum of the decision makers is a reluctance to change. We see that in so many aspects. We saw it when pass interference was reviewable and they kind of hamstrung the process. They didn't necessarily want to actually commit to it, because there's there's ways we could speed up the process, right, we don't need necessarily the dog and pony show of having the official go out to a thing, look into the hood, and walk it back out. Somebody could just look at it and say the pass was incomplete, like it shouldn't take forty five seconds, because these things are called in real time, so they should be able to be reviewed in real time. But they seem to be reluctant to take that process away because they want to show it to people for some reason. I don't I don't need to see it. Show me the replay, say it was incomplete. That's it. I think that's where they could do it.
Speaker 2: All right, Mark, give me one more.
Speaker 5: All right, here we go.
Speaker 2: I gave you all mine to be honest, Lee West, banger.
Speaker 5: I've given you everything.
Speaker 2: It's on the screen staring at Lee West. If you broke your leg and had to spend a couple of months bedbound, what would you do while you're in your bed eg? Board games, TV gaming, TV gaming or anything else, And first thing you would do when you could walk again.
Speaker 5: Okay, my bad. I do realize that I attacked it in my worksheet here, so apologies for slowing down the show. I think what I would do is like at the first, at the start of that experience, when I just realized I'm gonna be in this bed for like two months, like I'm going to do something really like life changing, like write a book or do you know, create something that I finally had that space. What I would wind up doing is probably like a bunch of edibles and playing like old Nintendo games that I couldn't beat as a kid and beat them as an adult journey.
Speaker 2: For you, we are on We're on this, We're on a similar path. I gave this some thought and I was like, I would finish Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I would learn how to play the acoustic guitar, but in reality, I would probably just like game like two hundred Pounds and play a load of MLB the show twenty three on my son's Nintendo switch.
Speaker 4: I prepared for the show by writing my notes down on actual note cards for some reason, very nice and on my list here, the number one thing is write a script. The number two is guitar, and I was also wondering, like how much mobility do I have? Would the would the guitar be a thing that I could do if I was bedbound?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think it's a broken leg, right, is that the injury?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, So you could like prop it on like a you know, a pillow or whatever, husband too, Yeah, prop it up on, John, That's all. I would take some online classes. I would learn how to do finances, since I have no idea how to do anything with finances.
Speaker 3: I would invest and I would take a stand up class, which is ironic.
Speaker 6: I would contact I remember a couple of years ago when Will Fuller had that great start and then he popped positive for ped and you kind of haven't.
Speaker 2: Seen him since, I would get him scene again.
Speaker 6: I would get in touch with Will Fuller and take whatever he was taking to get out of that bed as soon as possible. I it would be like a training montage. I don't know, like gripping exercises. I just I have I've always had problems sitting still. You guys know that work with me, and so it would be a real struggle. I'd have to get out of there and then play with my kids. Of course, will be the first out.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you'll be able to find Will Fuller. That man he gone. That man's gone, he gone.
Speaker 6: Whatever he was taking, give it to me, whatever good stuff.
Speaker 2: Closing up the mail bag, I told you they really stepped up this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so many questions and a lot of really good ones.
Speaker 5: I think one thing a clerical note for us, because sometimes we decided to do a mail bag like day of show and so it's just sitting out there for you know, ninety eight minutes. But we gave them a full earth cycle, a full day plus to come up with stuff, and I think it reached other parts of the world and the results are better.
Speaker 2: I've given them more runway in the past than they've failed.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to give them an of credit.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying this. Let's focus on the positive that they succeeded here, okay, and we hope we gave answers that we're entertaining to the point where the podcast hasn't been shut off by now. Thank you to Patrick, you've said it all, you know, good luck in that studio wherever you are. And like the Russell Wilson full sized or like gigantic sized photo tells us to strive for every day in that office. Have some serious integrity over there, bro.
Speaker 6: And you'll get that picture here in two minutes.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll be back on Monday. We're doing a Monday show me and Greggy, so please tune in for that. Thank you for listening. Enjoy your holiday, you know, I don't care. Like if you're drinking bud Light, if you're drinking eight, if you're drinking water, be safe as you do it. Enjoy the holiday with your family here in the States and friends, and we'll see on the other side of the weekend. Well July fourth, on Tuesday, so that was premature, but anyway, who cares Until Monday, you know what you gotta do. Heed the call.
Speaker 9: This is NFL Networks Andrew Siciliado. You have reached the around the NFL Listener Feedback service. Please leave a message after the toad