Speaker 1: Welcome to Talk in Coffee. I'm se Cup. I'm joined by my producers Lauren and Derek. As always, Hi guys.
Speaker 2: Hello, Good Monday morning to you.
Speaker 1: People can't see us, don't realize how much stuff is on this desk today because we have so much to do.
Speaker 2: It's a lot going on. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of jobs today before we even get to coffee news.
Speaker 3: Oh, we need to.
Speaker 1: Talk some coffee. We need to try some coffee.
Speaker 3: Please, coffee.
Speaker 1: We are going to I brought in a coffee product. I brought in a coffee accessory. Derek brought in a coffee food product, coffee candy. Yes, we are really getting We're getting our hands dirty, We're getting our mouths dirty or something. Today.
Speaker 2: We're really living the product. We're living the podcast.
Speaker 1: We are It's a lived experience. I love that about us. Okay, the first thing we have to talk about, let me unpack it. Okay, okay, So as everybody knows if you've been listening to Talk and Coffee, I confessed last year one, the big one. This is the big one. Still feeling it me too. I've talked to my therapists about it several times. That I had to switch to decaf coffee. Now we've talked about why, and I think some of it is like perimenopause getting to a certain age. I also just think I've never reacted great to caffeine, and maybe it's just kind of it's caught up with me over the years. But something was happening where I was drinking my morning coffee suddenly and getting very tired, just like crash out tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I did it. It's just not what caffeine is supposed to. It's the opposite of what it's supposed to do, definitely not what it's sold as.
Speaker 1: No. Luckily, I love the flavor of coffee no matter what, so even if it wasn't doing its job, I persisted. I persisted through that SOB and finally gave in and I was like, I can't live like this. I can't crash immediately after I finished my first cup of coffee. So I switched to decaf. And we've discussed the psychological sort of shame that identity crisis. It is an identity, that's right, yeah, crisis. I for a long time associated decaf with weakness, moral failing. As Derek pointed out, once like, I'm not as good a person as I used to be having switched to decaf. There's a lot that goes into this, but I'm fully on the decaff train. Doesn't mean occasionally I won't have a cafenated cup, but I'm fully on the decaf train.
Speaker 4: The decaff train runs a little slower. It's it's it's not an express train.
Speaker 3: Hits all the stops. It's a local train.
Speaker 1: But it gets you there. It gets you there, right. It's the delivery system of the flavor I love. It's the ritual of the thing that I love.
Speaker 2: You can still look forward to it.
Speaker 1: I do, and I make my decaff coffee, mine espresso decaff coffee every morning, or I go to Duncan and I get a nice Docah. Fine, Okay. We've discussed many times on this podcast how there aren't as many decaff options, that the world is a very caffeinist place. It is. I think, Derek one time, you said, well for normal people.
Speaker 4: I love how these things these I made like I have lodged into. I need to be more careful about what I say.
Speaker 3: Well, my therapist has heard all of these stories. I've made it into the therapy.
Speaker 1: In fact, you know, I'm writing a book about my mental health. You might be chapter fourteen. I would be honored, kidding. But it's a caffeinist world, right, Yeah, Lauren, you are talking about your your subscription service JOT coffee.
Speaker 2: They may not have a decaff option.
Speaker 1: That's insane and really rude. John, if you're listening, fix it, get on the drink. Oh, DCLF option insane. So cut to a couple of weeks ago, I'm scrolling on Instagram and I come across this product that is called low Key Coffee. It is RTD, which means ready to drink category, and that's important because I have two coffee news stories about RTD. It is an RTD ready to drink DCLF coffee in a can.
Speaker 2: It's really cute. I like the coloring. It's like a purple purple coloring.
Speaker 3: And low key is like a word of the moment. Low key.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You guys, remember when we were trying to name rename coffee so it didn't have the DCAF stigma, and we were like, maybe it's chill coffee. Maybe it's you know, like I forget what all.
Speaker 2: The words that we like genius can up with low Key coffee, A good one perfect, it's really good description.
Speaker 1: I don't need to be amped. Yeah, but I want my coffee.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear from the person who came up with this the backstory of like the other names that they came up with before they got to low Key. I'm sure there was a whole white board involved.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure. I'm so glad you asked, because when I saw this on Instagram, I was like, Okay, I need to order this. Obviously we need to try it on Talking Coffee and talk about it. But then I realized I know the person who made this coffee.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, exciting.
Speaker 1: I know him personally. Oh fun. So here's a great story, and I think we should have him on the pod one hundred percent. Okay, Chris is his name, Okay, Chris Gindalsburger. But because he lives in DC, he's friends with my husband Nice. We all know my husband John Goodwin because he lives in DC. The pod friend of Talk Coffee because he lives in DC, just like my husband did. He has a nickname. It's Gindy. I love. My husband's nickname is Goody.
Speaker 2: Okay, got a little bit, Yes, so you need their own podcast.
Speaker 1: Guindy and his lovely wife Adriana. Guindy is so he works. He's a lobbyist, as everyone in DC is in some way. He's a lobbyist at the National Confectioners Association.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: This exists big. They like to say over it NCA that they have the sweetest staff in DC. Oh, it's too easy. He's essentially the head of comms. He's great. He's been there a really long time and we've known him and his his lovely wife Adriana for years and they together launched this brand. So we can have them on and ask them the genesis.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Were you guys over caffeine? Like what happened there? The name process, the whole deal. So anyway, I ran into them at the Correspondence weekend and it was like, Gindy, I love this, like I have a whole backstory about why I need this in my life and I have a podcast, Like send me the product combination, and so they did. They sent us the vanilla it's unsweetened, but it's vanilla flavored, and they sent us the regular flavored to try. So we're gonna try it. I want to tell you a little bit, just a little bit about lokey coffee, the low key coffee difference. Yea, all right, this is not an ad. I'm just I'm try it, okay. Loki Coffee is a decaff coffee company that offers a clean, delicious, and convenient alternative to caffeinated coffee. Our mission is to provide high quality, decaff coffee options that cater to a growing demand. Yes, we are for clean labeled caffeine free beverages. Now listen to this, and this is also going to come back later in the pod. The Swiss water process is how they get the caffeine out. Listen to this. Okay, methylene chloride, nope, f lacetate never. Low Key coffee products are made from organic coffee beans that are decaffeinated in a natural way using water, temperature control, and time. The Swiss water process uses pure water to gently remove caffeine from coffee beans while preserving the coffee's original flavor characteristics. The results are the very best decaffed coffee, which is free from chemicals and processing residue. So we've often talked about how, yes you get caffeine.
Speaker 2: It's an overarching question and I feel like this just hints at like I almost feel like maybe we can invite an expert on who can just side through the Yes, the process is clearly.
Speaker 1: There's science, Clearly, there's chemistry. Tackles that I think are traditionally used to take the caffeine.
Speaker 2: Those words that they sound evil, they start that underlying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't want that.
Speaker 4: I do sort of hesitate a little bit to just raise one. The only tiny red flag from what you were saying is when food products advertise themselves as like clean, chemical free. A lot of times that's a little bit of hype, a little bit of like things sound like you said, Lauren, certain words sound scary, but it's just a chemical that is totally safe to use. Yeah, so there's a little bit of that that I'm like cautious about.
Speaker 1: Well, but I'm sure it is safe to use. It is what's used, right, But and who knows, maybe it's marketing. But the idea that they take the caffeine out on this Swiss water process, it sounds great, Swiss. Sweet you told me a Swiss. It's always always that's going to come back later. I'm so glad, but no, I'm I'm really I'm really excited my life could change from this, from the the advent of this product.
Speaker 3: This is amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I brought us all cups of ice because these these have not been refrigerated. Who wants to try vanilla and who wants.
Speaker 3: To try regular?
Speaker 2: Either one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good with either.
Speaker 1: Okay, here you go.
Speaker 2: I'm giving you the regular one you milk vanilla.
Speaker 1: I'm going to try the regular the non vanilla, and I'm going to put my milk in it and my sweetener the way I would have my coffee. Great, okay, with the smells. The smells a coffemell, sweet smells. Oh do you think it's concentrated.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean ideally it's a little concentrated.
Speaker 1: M hm, because then because you're putting it on ice. Yeah right, it's one hundred percent Arabica beans, single origin.
Speaker 2: I never know what that means.
Speaker 1: Sounds good?
Speaker 3: And is it yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it designed maybe you said the story. Is it designed to be iced or.
Speaker 4: Like or you can away at least refrigerator it is supposed to be cold?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, lay could you.
Speaker 3: Pass me that milk?
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you? Okay, got my sweetener. Got my milk. If anyone needs a stir.
Speaker 3: I'll just shake it. I like my coffee shake and not stirred.
Speaker 1: Can I have a little of that milk as well?
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't wait. It does smell good.
Speaker 2: To get a sniff of the villa. I feel like I should have tried the Yeah, it smells sweet, smells really good.
Speaker 1: Okay, ready here we go. Low key coffee lokey.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmmm. I think that's hike, good, hike.
Speaker 1: I really like that low key.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mine is just I just have the black with a little bit of milk, great flavor, favor.
Speaker 2: I'm not like a flavored coffee person. Yes, the vanilla is not my jams.
Speaker 3: A little strong.
Speaker 1: It's just the flavor.
Speaker 2: It just ends up not tasting like coffee and tasting fake, feeling fake. There's a big flavor there. Yeah, anyway, it's not getting in the way.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am really liking this non flavored deca.
Speaker 3: It's very It's almost like refreshing somehow.
Speaker 2: You know. It's funny though, Like the moment I drank it, I felt like a placebo.
Speaker 3: Like caffeine fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you have to remind yourself this is in caffeine.
Speaker 2: This is low key. I can chill out.
Speaker 3: This is low key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna be able to sip this.
Speaker 2: How does it come into How does it compare to JOT for you?
Speaker 1: If you recall, JOT was a very intense coffee flavor. Yeah, right, almost like a dessert coffee flavor, like coffee ice cream something, yeah or something. And it felt very caffeinated. Yeah. Remember, like I had a couple of SIPs and I was like feeling it, feeling I gotta put this guy away. Yeah yeah, but it was a more intense coffee flavor than this. I don't I don't mind this. In fact, I like this a lot, and especially if I just need it on the go. I just need an on the go decaf. I don't have time to make it, which does you know take some time? Yeah, just grab and go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's a very smooth flavor. It's very so what that means, but that feels like the word to use.
Speaker 1: It's like it is very smooth. Yeah, and there's no bareness.
Speaker 3: Yes, it feels.
Speaker 2: It does feel more concentrated than some coffee that I know at some place like feels to me, is not like the cold brew it's like they've just put coffee into the fridge and whatever. It does feel that little water down. This feels like it can stand up to the ice melting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: And it's a warm day out there in the city. So yeah, this says best enjoyed choiulder over ice. I'll give you some facts. It's twelve calories, no fat, two point five carbs, less than a gram of protein. It's got some some calcium seven point four milligrams, so just a little. The ingredients are water and organic decaf coffee.
Speaker 3: It does say twelve mg and milligram of caffeine.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is like a normal cup of coffee is one hundred and fifty miligram. Okay, so yeah, so it's like much less, very very little, right, like less than a cup of tea, Like very that's very little caffeine. Maybe maybe you wouldn't even notice it unless you were really really sensitive. I'm not like super sensitive, but I can definitely feel it when I have it. I feel nothing. This is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is so low key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely feel like it'd be nice to have them on the show because, okay, confirmed it tastes good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I would love to.
Speaker 2: Know the like a little bit more of the backstory if it's personal, and like what the response has been and.
Speaker 1: The process, like I want to know it all. Yeah, and the name. Talk to me about the market, like the market for decaf coffee and where's it going? And I'm sure these guys did all their homework and research and know everything, so we definitely have to have the guindi's.
Speaker 2: And I also have some questions about a candy Lobbys. So if you get a squeeze ze in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to talk to candy all over the.
Speaker 4: Office sings factory basically where they work.
Speaker 1: Do they dress colorfully because it feels like they should, right, Well, are they a little cool like kookie and wacky and fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are they serious? Who knows?
Speaker 4: I grew up close to the jelly Belly factory in northern California.
Speaker 3: It was one of my favorite places to go.
Speaker 1: Close to the pez factory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, orange amazing.
Speaker 4: And one of the things there's like a tour you can go on. And one of the things is they talk about how much Ronald Reagan loved jelly Belly.
Speaker 1: You did, We're all familiar, So now.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking it was Gindy.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he was probably not not back then, but what maybe Guindy's Guindy's a boss or predecessor was big on getting Reagan hooked on.
Speaker 2: Like one, when did the candy lobbyists come into play? Did they come up through the playground lobbyists? Like, what's the story there?
Speaker 1: That might have been inside job getting getting Reagan hooked on jelly bellies love it?
Speaker 3: Who knows he'll.
Speaker 1: Have he'll have stories to tell for sure. It's a long time candy lobbyists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we definitely got to get him on.
Speaker 1: Okay, Guindy, as you're you're invited on, I will book them and then we'll talk about this great new coffee product.
Speaker 2: And we did hear anecdotically from our own listeners that there are a lot of other decaf feeling a little shameful listeners drinkers. So if there's any more out there, I'm not alone.
Speaker 1: Even though Derek regularly, I mean, you know, even though Rocco di Spirito was like, don't try that in Italy.
Speaker 3: Good luck in Italy.
Speaker 2: He's like, well, they're not going to deport you.
Speaker 1: To deport you, but like they will not enjoy you. They will not be kind. There is no option. Yeah, he's like, don't even try it. You bring your own. So but listen, I've gotten used to living life in a caffeinist world.
Speaker 2: Yeah on the outskirts.
Speaker 1: But thanks to low Key Coffee again not sponsored, but Guindy feel free. Thanks to low Ki Coffee, the world is a little less caffeinist for me.
Speaker 3: A little more inclusive.
Speaker 1: It's a little inclusive. Okay, Well that was really fun. Super glad we did that. I brought in something else.
Speaker 3: It's hard to even imagine what you're what you're holding.
Speaker 1: It's okay, so I saw this on TikTok. I'm just going to open them and hopefully they become self explanatory.
Speaker 3: But pa, you're opening a plata container filled with.
Speaker 1: Like gauze patches or something. Yeah. So these are on the go portable coffee filters for so you open these guys up. Cute. I know Derek is dying right now. Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's it has little like cardboard tabs that you pull up and then it hangs like two arms over your cup.
Speaker 1: Wow, and it's a mini filter. Very can you pour your pour over right into it?
Speaker 3: Right into the cup. Yeah, so can you.
Speaker 1: Matt, like on planes? Maybe I don't know where you're bringing this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would need like I guess if you know, if the plane came through and they're pouring for tea and you like had this already, it could be like just a little hot water in this.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yes, you would bring your own, like coffee beans the crown.
Speaker 3: I would. I would bring the beans and I would grind it right there on the plane.
Speaker 1: Nice, very performative.
Speaker 2: You have a hand grinder.
Speaker 3: Right, I do?
Speaker 4: And then I okay, so then yeah, I guess because I'm trying. At first, I was like, well, where would you need to make poor of a coffee?
Speaker 3: And the only thing you lacked was a filter?
Speaker 1: Right right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: But I would say like the office, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because actually, when you think about it, there actually are a lot of places where hot water is available to you, so you can get the hot water. So this it solves that problem of yeah, it's essentially it's not just the filter that you need, it's also the This eliminates the need for like the plastic cup that holds the filter exactly. It's all contained. You can and then you throw it away, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Throw it away very clever, so you must go and try.
Speaker 3: Wow, I definitely will thank you. And this looks like there's a thousand.
Speaker 1: It was like the only way here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it. Okay, Well I'm I will I will try it and report back so much.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I brought a gift of my own. Should we get to that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, after after many weeks now of.
Speaker 4: Promising this, I went to Trader Joe's and I got one of my favorite things that Trader Joe's has. It's the Coffee Lovers espresso beans, chocolate covered espresso beans, inspired by your inspired by your favorite sweet coffee combinations. Because they are different. I never like really distinguish when I'm eating them, but like there are different flavored ones, and like slightly you'll notice slightly different, like.
Speaker 1: Extrue I'm going to notice.
Speaker 3: So that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let's get this opened, and uh, it's just kind.
Speaker 1: Of okay, what are the different flavors?
Speaker 3: I honestly don't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't even realized that there were, although I knew that there were different textures and there's different colors.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can find the answer.
Speaker 4: I like a lot of the Trader Joe's chocolate items I love the dark chocolate covered almonds. It's a great sea salt dok chocolate covered almans. Oh yeah, those are good.
Speaker 1: So I've got like a tope colored beans.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got one clearly a chocolate colored milk chocolate. And then like it looks like a white polka dot.
Speaker 1: Yep. It doesn't say on the bag, but the difference. Now, I'm going to start with my like light like brow did the white one. It just tastes like a white white chocolate covered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so okay, is that caramel?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, not so nice.
Speaker 3: It's really good.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tope one was good. The Tope one was I think you might have a little bit of caramel or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, alright, I'm going for the.
Speaker 3: What looks like a milk chocolate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of a lot of the chocolate just like instantly meltable in your mouth.
Speaker 2: It's really it's gonna go really well with my coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The great It says two servings per container, So this little bag it says two serving sizes, and so in terms of how much caffeine.
Speaker 3: It doesn't say the.
Speaker 1: Coffee, yeah, do you want more milk? For sure?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I really I like those better than the ones I got for Christmas, which was in like a clear plastic container. So maybe it wasn't a Trader Joe's.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 4: Trader Joe's sells a different type that I've never had that is all one color. Yeah, and it might be it might be, Yeah, but I like these ones in the bags. I've never tried the other one, but I like this one because it has the variety of the different.
Speaker 1: I think there's a little bit more chocolate on these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of chocolate around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah.
Speaker 4: So we tried that other, the Pocket Coffee coffee, and there was that texture, grainy texture that I think this shares, yeah with that, So I wonder if the Pocket Coffee uses like ground up espresso beans as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, what do you guys think?
Speaker 1: That's how this came up. Love it discovered Pocket Coffee, which had a shot of espresso in each piece, which I continue to use mind blowing after lunch, and then these came up as sort of an alternative and delicious, delicious. Great. I would take it like on a road trip.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you get like a little sleepy, there's nothing wrong with it's s verging on dangerous.
Speaker 4: I know it's hard because like you kind of can't stop very but but like it's a small bag.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't you're right, So it doesn't say how much caffeine, isn't.
Speaker 3: It I just can't read. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Does not.
Speaker 1: But I'll let you know. Yeah, believe me, I'll let you know. If it's a lot, your will be able to just four? Yeah, really really good, hold on.
Speaker 3: So many coin and my teeth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a stress of you.
Speaker 2: Know too, Well, this was super fun. I don't want to call out to listeners too if they have any products that they think are like a little bit on the outskirts.
Speaker 1: Of mainstream and want to try, like we're not.
Speaker 2: Like we did a nice taste us of very mainstream coffee. Yeah, so that was fun. But like I think the products outside of it, the experimental, like what are how are we expanding the genre?
Speaker 1: Tell us what to try? Should we try a mushroom coffee? Should we try?
Speaker 2: Maybe we should?
Speaker 1: Maybe we should have. We talked about mushroom coffee, we've talked about it, but we've not tried it. We've not tried it. Sherry Shepherd was is on the mushroom coffee and mushroom tea train. Yeah, we had her on off the cup and it is. I actually bypassed a mushroom coffee coffee news story today that I was gonna do but then decided not to. But it is. It is a thing much talked about. Yeah, so we should probably try it. But yeah, I love that idea. If people want to write us off the cop cup off two PE's at gmail dot com and tell us, tell us what else to try? Yeah, what do I gotta go get? I'll go get it, all right, I will go get it and bring it in and we'll try it.
Speaker 3: Well. I really do love this low key coffee, so thanks for bringing it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's delicious. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do like the black much prefer the black yeailla personal preference. Yeah, yeah, I just don't like flavors.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. Okay, coffee onto onto coffee news. Okay, you do some news about it me please brute. Okay, this story is weird. Here's the headline. Scientists used electricity on coffee and discovered what makes it taste good.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm picturing what are like Frankie Young Drankenstein.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, run a current through it, see what happens? Like, what how does that relate to taste? I'm so glad you asked. This doesn't answer it. I just want you to know. Okay, I don't have this answer. No, this is such a weird story. It's it almost came come out like prematurely, the story they say. Researchers used a battery testing tool to identify coffee's chemical fingerprint. University of Oregon researchers repurposed a tool called a potentiostat, typically used to test batteries, to send an electrical current through coffee. Through the simple process, they were able to identify coffee's chemical fingerprint that determines the drink's flavor. Quote. It's an objective way to make a statement about what people like in a cup of coffee. University chemist Christopher Hendon, the lead researcher, known around campus as doctor Coffee, send in a news release, pause, doctor.
Speaker 2: Coffee, doctor Coffee. Now I'm interested in having him on the Yeah, doctor.
Speaker 1: First of all, there is a mister Coffee so good that he has that degree, right, he is of coffee.
Speaker 3: Don't call him, mister coffee.
Speaker 1: I love this. Traditional tests mainly focus on measuring the strength of coffee, yet many other factors go into the way coffee tastes, including roast color and extraction strength. Now they say, until now, we haven't been able to separate those variables. Now we can diagnose what gives rise to that delicious cup. But they don't tell you what that is. They say, it's basically a little early on.
Speaker 2: In the research as an announcement saying we are doing this.
Speaker 1: This is saying we have an announcement.
Speaker 3: It's happy, Yeah, one day, plugged in the coffee.
Speaker 1: We're gonna make an announcement one day, and it says. The interesting bit here is that now we have a way to access the subjective quality and the taste and flavor of coffee using quantifiable measurements, which means we could start seeing a serious improvement in the coffee game across all coffee shops over years. So I mean this is a lot of like one day, yeah, we could maybe in the future figure out what makes a cup of coffee taste good by sticking a current in it, I guess, But they didn't really tell us what.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should reach out and tell him to send us the results. Doctor may have them, and then we could do like a mini in you.
Speaker 1: Let's have doctor coffee on the pod. Obviously, definitely, And I have about questions, yeah, about how it got that going and when it's it finishing. It's not like a long term study. Yeah right, forty years later? Okay, interesting another study I did not need. I did not need it. Your morning coffee could be making you more tired, experts one.
Speaker 3: Well, yours was that?
Speaker 1: Yes? Your problem?
Speaker 2: Yeah again, this is so.
Speaker 1: Obvious.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Caffeine can create a roller coaster effect that leaves coffee drinkers more fatigued than before, says dietician. If you're reaching for a cup of coffee to wake up, you may ultimately be making yourself even more tired. Caffeine is highly effective at temporarily suppressing fatigue, but often can be a band aid that doesn't address underlying lifestyle.
Speaker 3: Factors like going to sleep.
Speaker 1: Feels like they're judging me, like I caused this problem to do last night suddenly at forty five, or whenever this happened to me suddenly, I was I am the reason why caffeine suddenly stopped working Okay, you can think of it like a roller coaster. What comes up must come down. Lisa Moskovitz, a registered dietitian and founder of ny Nutrition Group, author of the Core three Healthy eating Plan, told Fox News digital caffeine will stimulate you and give you an energy boost, but eventually that wears off, and when it does, you can expect to feel even more tired than before. We're all aware of the crash. Yeah, the sugar crash, the caffeine crash. We're all aware of this. This is not what was happening to me entirely. I wasn't getting the jolt and then a crash. I was just crashing. There was no upper about it. It was just you are tired, now go to bed. Yeah. So, I mean, it says if your coffee dependent, the question is why do you need to drink so much coffee throughout the day.
Speaker 3: He's definitely a touch.
Speaker 1: Are you not sleeping enough or eating properly? If so, drinking caffeine will only make both issues worse. This is like the worst thing therapist who said, I'm sorry you're sad. Get over it. What are you doing to make yourself sad? You asked for this, Yes, you did this to yourself. Okay, we talked about Switzerland a little bit. Yeah, Swiss water.
Speaker 2: Brings us back to those beautiful green hills.
Speaker 1: I read this crazy story how Switzerland became the land of coffee. I do not associate it.
Speaker 2: I do not at all, but you will after this only the sound of music.
Speaker 1: Only. Brazil exports more coffee than Switzerland.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Now, it's not made, it's not sourced in Switzerland, but it is imported to Switzerland, where it crushes. Okay, how did a small country where the climate makes it impossible to grow coffee become the world's second largest coffee exporter. Switzerland has achieved something economically the devisal logic, with an export value of around four point two billion. The small country is only just behind Brazil in terms of coffee exports, but ahead of giants like Columbia, Ethiopia and Vietnam.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: The coffee beans are imported to Switzerland for around five dollars per kilogram. When they leave the roasting plant, they're worth twenty six point eight perkilo. Wow. So that is a giant margin, giant markup, giant increase in value. It makes it switzerland most important agricultural export way more than cheese and chocolate wow. More so they do the roasting right. Okay, So what happens is the green coffee meaning the beans are always delivered, almost always delivered to Europe via the Rhine River. The beans first reached seaports such as Antwerp, Rotterdam and Hamburg, where they're transported up the Rhine by barge to Basel, Switzerland, where many of the large green coffee trading companies have set up shop. Okay, so in and around Lake Geneva it's referred to as Coffee Valley because there you have nesle Is headquartered there, which also has Nescafe and Espresso. Okay, those are the industry's technology leaders. They are based in Switzerland. They do the roasting. It is also the undisputed leader in the market for coffee machines. Seventy percent of all machines come from Switzerland.
Speaker 4: That makes it and that's that wouldn't even be included in the bean in the It's.
Speaker 1: Just all and there's more. These are all factors that make Switzerland a very important coffee wow place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the swissno mechanics they do.
Speaker 1: And Swiss precision is part is part of why those coffee makers have been so successful, but it's also due to its role as a commodity trading center. Sixty to seventy percent of the global green coffee trade in the world passes through the Swiss desks and their market their stock marketing. Wow. Yeah, so it's there's more than forty members of the Swiss Coffee Trade Association and they control half of the green coffee trade worldwide.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And finally, Espresso produces the capsules for the global market, the ca cups, curry cups, whatever, for the global market exclusively in three factories in Switzerland. It's also a major exporter of instant coffee and other highly processed specialties. So like it does it all. Yeah, it's doing the machines, it's it's roasting the beans, it's trading the beans, it's making the instance, it's making the k cups. Like it's got it all. Isn't that fascinating that.
Speaker 2: Number you originally suggest or said with regards to like the roasted beans. It makes me feel like whatever they're doing the roast, I want to know more about how they roast what you know?
Speaker 1: Yes, what that means? And like yeah, because it's got nothing to do with their climate or their you know, it's not their beans that they are imported, but it is technique and whatever they've figured out.
Speaker 2: Again, maybe the machining, Yeah, maybe the machines.
Speaker 4: Well, and when you mentioned the profit margin, it made me assume initially that it was all going to be like the most expensive coffee in the world, high end stuff. But no, in the Nestli the cakes like mass market mass coffee.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they have very high end and I'm sure they have very mass market, but like, you would never have thought of Switzerland. We've done these all the time where it's like name the place in the world you think that as the most coffee drinkers are the best coffee, Switzerland never comes up. No, we go Italy, we go France, you know, Vietnam, whatever, but we never.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm thinking of it in terms of process and machinery. Then does make sense, but it takes a few jumps to get there.
Speaker 3: You need to do a trip to Switzerland.
Speaker 2: I think we are live coffee from Switzerland, coffee airplane.
Speaker 4: Take the coffee airplane which Jet Blue Duncan plane to Switzerland, and I need a tour of those factories.
Speaker 1: For sure. I love that story and I feel smarter about coffee. Yeah, she's the point. Okay, Uh, this is real annoying. So I had mentioned earlier RTDs. This is the ready to drink, to drink category which is exploding for coffee. Right Starbucks rt D Coffee and Protein. Oh yeah, they've got a new product. I'm not mad at this product, but I'm mad at this launch. Okay. The new rt D Starbucks Coffee and Protein beverage is now available, blending premium Starbucks coffee with twenty two grams of complete protein. That's a great amount of protein, five grams of prebiotic fiber, five vitamins and minerals, and two grams of sugar. Okay, Now everyone's interested in like making their beverages.
Speaker 3: Do extra work, special protein, very protein.
Speaker 1: You need to bulk up the protein for you know, keto diets, for GLP ones. I mean, people are really into protein. I'm into protein because I get I get little blood sugar Like, I need to keep protein in my system, So I'm into putting protein in places it hasn't normally been. My problem with this is the launch. It's very it's pushing my coffee in a direction I don't enjoy. I don't like it. You know what, Duncan would never do this.
Speaker 4: It's turning your coffee into kind of like a bro I'm at Jim bro Yes.
Speaker 2: Is it the personality not the product?
Speaker 3: Yes, Joe Rogan would like this type of.
Speaker 1: You're one hundred percent right or like let's say, let's say Joanne Rogan. Okay, you'll know what that means in a second. Starbucks is also introducing, in tandem with this Protein RTD, the limited edition Starbucks Weighted Vest, created a partnership with Kalana Barfield Brown, founder of fashion and lifestyle brand KBB by Kalana, available for purchase nationwide for twenty two dollars, a nod to the twenty two grams of complete protein in every botty Oh God. Starbucks is also teaming up with leading fitness app Strava, the app for active people, to launch an inn app challenge. Don't challenge me to do anything other than drink my coffee. I don't need any other challenges from my coffee.
Speaker 3: I think it's challenging enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't need pressure from my coffee to get to the gym. As you go do that walk?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Wait, what even is a weighted Is this like an exercise?
Speaker 1: Where have you been? This is why I say, Joanna Brogan, because women have discovered the weighted vest.
Speaker 2: You can't just walk anymore. No, no, no, no, you have to throw twenty pounds on. You can't even just run go for a job. That's not enough be at the gym. You need to be weighted at every part of your body.
Speaker 1: Especially you're not often in the suburbs, but if you ventured out to the suburbs, you would see eighteen in twenty minutes. Eighteen moms walking with weighted vests. It is. It's not just women, but like it's for sure. Women have propelled this. If you'd like to see this, there's a pouch on the weighted vest for your new protein coffee.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, sure, in a I would say, inconvenient spot, right in the middle of the back.
Speaker 1: It's in the middle of your back. Yeah, how am I reaching?
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of like what the bikers do. So they have these long pockets that stretch across the bottom of the back that you can easily like, well, I get sort of easily side, but I can't from the battle is the very middle.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like lift it up. You've got to lift it out of that pouch.
Speaker 2: To me, it feels like if it were longer, it's a sword that you could grab.
Speaker 1: That's where it is. It's not it's it's there's a short little can of coffee, short little bottle of coffee in it. It's in the middle of your back where you could not reach it from the top or the bottom.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like where your zip, where your zipper goes when you're like and I can no longer reach the zipper exactly.
Speaker 1: But not only do you have to reach it, you have to pull it up and out. I don't understand the design that coffee all over you know.
Speaker 2: What it should be is like it should be sideways, like at an angle, so you could pull it out and then yeah, then almost start some momentum there already. You know what's funny. I'm just realizing I saw this guy. I did see a woman with a weighted vest when I was out in the park the other day, and then out of context, I was walking down the street and saw a guy with a weighted vest, and I was like, is that a bullet proof right? It's a different look on a guy, right, so confused and you know, like the woman had like it was like a little bit of color, but his was just.
Speaker 1: Like straight up black tactical.
Speaker 2: And I was like, this man is not like he definitely like later I was like, oh that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but it has a different look on a guy. Well, this says fueled by strong interest and weighted vests on social media. The design supports movement and style with a bust silhouette five pounds of customizable weights for resistance in a dedicated pocket size. Perfectly hold your RTD Starbucks coffee and protein.
Speaker 3: A bespoke silhouette. So is it like a corset?
Speaker 1: It was like it does? It does have a corset field, it does it? You can see that Shad had a waist. Yeah yeah, I don't need.
Speaker 3: That bad yesterday. This is the new spanks.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad at the protein coffee, but don't move this into like like fitness category.
Speaker 2: Don't like the need for productivity with everything that we do. That's what I mean, Like I would just like to have a cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: And Mason enjoy it does everything and do I have to be multitasking at everything. Can I just do the one thing, drink the coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know what's going to happen is like in soon any day now or maybe a couple of years, it'll be all these studies about the adverse effect of all this protein that we're packing in so much, I mean the carbs.
Speaker 1: I I'm really I'm going heavy on the protein. I do protein in my coffee, and that's again twofold, that's protein. But also the protein comes from bovine collagen, and that collagen is you could only increase your collagen project production, excuse me, by ingesting it. So you see all these topical collagen creams. They don't work. The collagen molecule is too big to be absor or by the skin. So those are a joke. They're a waste of money. They are a total scam. If you have a lotion that says collagen in it, it'll feel and look great, but it will not do it. It's not being observed.
Speaker 2: And we had that doctor on who confirms.
Speaker 1: Exactly it will exactly what. I'm kind of a board certified gromatologist on the on the side, anyway, I want need a doctor to tell me what I know but sure, she did confirm. But so I like getting you know, powder collagen because that does help your skin and your bones and all of that. So it's multifunctional. But then I'll do another clear collagen protein in like water later in the day. It's like a lot of protein. It's a lot of protein powder. If this ends up being bad for me, I'm locked, okay, because I've got all in, all in on protein. I'm loving it so far, like really loving the feel. And I've noticed, you know, skin different and says yeah, I'm yeah, it's good. So I hope it stays good. Okay, this is great. I don't know if I realized this. Did you realize this Duncan left Canada? Did you know that?
Speaker 3: That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the last Duncan left Canada, it was in Quebec and it left in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Wow, has been in Canada in eight years.
Speaker 1: I've been to Canada several times since then, and how have I just not noticed I know, no dunks. Yeah that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is pretty crazy. So they could discuss sqeeze now.
Speaker 1: So Canadian restaurant operator food Tastic has signed a master franchising agreement with Inspire Brands, which owns Duncan, to open hundreds of new Duncans across Canada.
Speaker 3: They're coming back, They're going back.
Speaker 1: We're going to.
Speaker 2: Try one more time, but going back. This time it's going to stick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Food Tastic will have exclusive rights to develop the dunk brand national through both corporate and franchise operated locations, with the first expected to open in late twenty twenty six or early twenty twenty seven. Currently, there are more than fourteen thousand Duncan locations and more than forty locations around the world, following the creation of the first store in Quincy, mass in the United States. The first Canadian Duncan opened in Montreal in nineteen sixty one, but the emergence of local competitors such as Tim Horton sought decline in the region, with a last franchisee location in Quebec closing in twenty eighteen. Quote bringing Duncan back to Canada is a significant growth opportunity for food Tastic in our partners across the country, says food Tastic founder and CEO Peter Mamas. That's exciting, that is exciting, but.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know that it feels like the right time to.
Speaker 3: Be like importing Americans sporting.
Speaker 2: American stuff, especially when like what that failure proves is that we are really loyal to our local thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, you are the perfect example.
Speaker 2: Duncan Donuts is like a Massachusetts thing, New England thing, and you live and die by Duncan Donuts like Tim Hortons, and when you talk to Canadians, it's just like that's the thing that's right, so, you know, and they're not They're not like super excited about.
Speaker 1: Us right now.
Speaker 2: No, it is a weird time to bring it back. Yeah, that said, we don't speak. I like their perseverance, you know, you know why not.
Speaker 1: I have to think that the genius is a Duncan and they are geniuses, have done the research to know that this is going to work. It's going to work for them, or they wouldn't reintroduce yea, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Believe we have a There was like a there was a news item about Tim Hortons that they were taken over by someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or that they were becoming American or.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I think they moved their headquarters to like Miami.
Speaker 2: There's something there must be something there.
Speaker 4: It's like Freaky Friday for the coffee shops. All the Tim Hortons are going to wake up and be like, I'm a Duncan.
Speaker 1: Get Tan in Miami and all the Dunks are up in Canada. That's so funny. Well, Tim Hortons is not taking this line down.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Of course is of course not h B story. Okay, day two stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Tim Horton's launch his new RTD range. Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons has released a new ready to drink product in national grocery stores ahead of summer. It's RTD Ice coffee comes in three flavors, medium roast, black, vanilla, and caramel, with its iced coffee syrups coming in cappuccino and mocha flavors. News of the launch comes just days after it was announced the United States coffee chain Duncan will be making its return to Canada for the first time in almost a decade. I love it. The rise coffee wars of Tim Hortons has been cited as a key reason for Duncan's downfall in the region. However, the new deal between Duncan's parent company, Inspire Brands and fantastic. We'll see hundreds of locations open around the country. So it's interesting because at a time when coffee's so expensive. I think I just saw the latest market reports that it's up eighteen percent. Oh, people feel that that's a lot. That's not three percent, that's not a couple like a sense, that's eighteen percent. And everyone's feeling that. So there's this little coffee war happening north of the border, which is really fine. And maybe coffee's booming up there and they're seeing this as mutually advantageous, mutually beneficial. Yeah, a good competition. We shall see my final story. Really fine. Okay, apparently there's a category of video games. Okay, okay, very excited to well, Jaric literally.
Speaker 4: Sat up in his yes, well, yeah, keep going. There was something about video games that I wanted to also mention this. Maybe it'll be something similar.
Speaker 1: So, just just by way of background, I did not grow up playing video games. I know everyone else was that was. I grew up when everyone was playing Super Mario Brothers and everything.
Speaker 3: I just didn't.
Speaker 1: My son plays video games now and I'm it's a foreign language.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're behind.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to use the things.
Speaker 2: They are tricky and they're not really made for adult hands.
Speaker 1: No and no, and he's you know, a million games and I don't know what is what and what does what? And there are a thousand categories. Apparently there is a category of video game where you just sit in a coffee shop and animated coffee shop, drink coffee, talk to strangers, oh, and have like a really vibe, relaxing time that sounds lovely like check out. I might have to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it would be a place for you and Jack to meet.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me let me describe this a little bit. Yeah, So the news is Coffee Talk Tokyo is coming out May twenty first for PS five switch switched to Xbox Windows in Mac. Coffee Talk Tokyo is the third game in the urban fantasy visual novel Cafe simulator Oh my God, a third who where you run a cafe that serves a colorful cast of characters in a world that blends both mundane and the fantastical. This writer says, I adored the first game and its sequels set in Seattle, and I'm curious to see how the nightlife of Tokyo affects the coffee, drinks, and patronage in this installment. Given how heartfelt and memorable the choice heavy narratives of the series have been in the past, I'm looking forward to discovering the daily goings on of people from all walks of life looking for a decent cup of coffee and seeing how things ultimately play out for them after the beverages are served. The visuals look vibrant. The soundtrack promises to be more low fi, calming goodness that we've come to expect, hopefully ensuring we'll all want to come back for another cup. When Coffee Talk Tokyo releases later this week and you can see some of the animation.
Speaker 2: Oh cute.
Speaker 1: They're sitting in this cute vibe coffee shop and they're chatting with each other. I love the mixtape you made me. Thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: I'm intrigued, like this is the This is a mixtape.
Speaker 1: Game for me. Yeaheah, totally. This is a zone out, yeah, low stake, escape, get lost, no pressure. I'm not trying to jump toadstools and survive at the best of big falls. I'm just ordering coffee and having brief interactions with people shooting, not shooting anyone. No one's trying to kill me. I'm not running from anything. No, it's really cute. I can play at have coffee, Yes.
Speaker 2: And then you can see that's your low key coffee at any time of day.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: So Derek familiar with it.
Speaker 4: So I didn't realize it was a whole genre. Yeah, that's amazing. I have a switch to and I was just kind of browsing the digital store and I noticed there was a game that was like Coffee something, and I was like, oh, I gotta play that, but I was gonna save. I wasn't gonna bring it up until I actually started playing it. Yes, but I should just bring my switch. I should get one of these games. I should bring my switch in and we should.
Speaker 3: You should. You should play it on air. That would be fun. But but yeah, these visual novels I haven't.
Speaker 4: I should also say too, I didn't grow up with very many video games either, but I but as an adult, I have like aspired to become a gamer, and I honestly have not really succeeded. Like I I will like get the consoles, and I've like occasionally there'll be a game that I can really get get into. But I think video games are such a cool like art form and they evolves so much into into what you can do. And the visual novels is interesting because it's literally just like a story that unfolds, and there's a lot of like reading in that genre of game. It has like the dialogue and it's it's nothing really like happens necessarily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I say choice heavy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well coffee, there'll be like an option of what you can choose to respond to say.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like I choose your own adventure book.
Speaker 4: But like happening live in front of you sounds fun, So I'll definitely bring it. Okay, that'll be my next assignment is to get one of these games and bring it in.
Speaker 3: We can try it.
Speaker 1: I'd love to try it. I'm not trying to encourage more video game playing at my house, but but yeah, you know what's interesting Just recently my son I think there's some interesting pressure at school to not be as much on devices, because he came home and he's like, Mom, do you think I'm an iPad kid? I was like, yeah, yeah, sure, I don't need a limit about that. We limit it. It's he can only do it on weekends and only for a couple hours on weekends. But like, yeah, you definitely are because he's not out playing sports, right, We've talked about he's into coding. He's going to coding camp Copewter camp over the summer and he loves to code and do video games and yeah. So I said, yeah, you definitely are, and he's like, well, I'm trying not to be. I said why and he said, because the kids at school are like, oh, you know, who are the iPad kids and who are the like touch grass kids. They're saying that language in fifth grade. I love that. I'm like, come on, peer pressure my kid. More.
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Kids will find so many different ways to bully each other.
Speaker 1: Yesing is happening in the correct direction. More. Yeah, bring it on.
Speaker 2: Do you want to go outside and touch grass? You can do that right now exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm like, JJ, you bring it on, kid, bring it to bring it to my kid.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of one of my favorite Doctor Seuss books, The Sneeches.
Speaker 3: You were familiar with this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great, and the whole premise of it is some these sneeches are these like people on this on the beaches, Nes on the Beaches, and I read it a lot as a kid. It's like a picture book, and some of them have stars on their bellies and so they're like special, like ooh, we have the stars ones. And then and then this guy comes into town and like gives them all stars, like, oh, you want a star, I'll give you a star. And then suddenly everybody has stars, and then it's oh, the people that.
Speaker 3: Don't have stars are the special ones. Now we'll do that.
Speaker 4: And then it just kind of goes back forth, and it's like a you know, like a metaphor for like you know, like discrimination of different different types and like better yes, and how like silly.
Speaker 3: It is, but this is what it is.
Speaker 4: Like, like sometimes the kids, like the cool kids are the ones that have all the cool devices, and then now.
Speaker 3: It's the kids that don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, it definitely started that way right when Jack was getting into Nintendo's and all of that, Like you had to have the Nintendo switch to you had to have the PS five, yeah, whatever, you had to be fluid in this language, and and that's you know, in part why you got into it. But you also just loved it it, but I'm loving this. And so this weekend we were upstate and it was gorgeous weekend finally, and he was like, I want to play catch, I want to go Can I go play with Dolly? And I didn't even have to do it. Yeah, it's amazing. It made me think of and I don't know if I've talked to you about this before, but I talk about this a lot in politics because people will will say I think we've talked about this because I brought up on the pod. But in politics, when people get very worried about what is going to happen in the future, with climate change, with domestic politics, with Trump, whatever it is, I always like to say, well, you know, just because you can't foresee a solution out there in the future doesn't mean one isn't waiting out there. And I could drive myself crazy thinking about how am I going to get this kid unaddicted, you know, or from being addicted to this experiences out in the world. I would never have told you, well, maybe kids will just prussure him.
Speaker 2: Maybe the kids as what that is amazing.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy.
Speaker 4: It's so interesting how the conversations like the conversation that adults have trickle down and how this is how kids are picking up on the idea that it's cool or not cool.
Speaker 1: It's like he talked about this with someone. It might have been Sarah Spain, because she was talking about like, well, people still listen to radio, even though the media is changing. And I think she said, you know, people still want to watch big screen TVs for games and stuff. And there is this organic thing happening where kids are like wanting landlines to talk to their friends and they're rejecting, you know, watching movies on their phones. And you might see this sea change with all this technology that's meant to make life better, and I think people don't agree that it's making life better. It's making life impossible. I was just talking to John the other day because I don't know about you, but Jackson Public School, there are a teen apps that I have to have to do stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for his school.
Speaker 1: There's an app to fund his lunch money. There's another app to tell school I'm picking him up early or dropping him off late. There's another app to get his grades. There's another app because you know, the public school bids on all these contracts, all these independent.
Speaker 2: You know, app tech has been pushing to get into education and it's going to be very difficult to extract it.
Speaker 1: But it's ruining my life. Yeah. No, it's ruining my life to have all these apps and know all these passwords and it takes me eight hours to figure out how to just like look at his grades.
Speaker 2: My friends who are teachers have said the same thing that you know, Hocal passed a band. Yeah, there's no phones in schools, yes, but the teachers are reliant on their phones often to take like attendance or communicate with others. So it's like, well, if you could just make that now.
Speaker 1: Streamlined, I know it's really frustrating. So I think there might you might get to this tipping point where the technology feels unproductive. Yeah, it actually feels productive.
Speaker 2: It's not benefiting us as humans.
Speaker 1: We're not enjoying the experience.
Speaker 2: My daughter turns eleven this month, and I'm essentially getting her a deconstructed phone. I'm getting a refurbished.
Speaker 1: iPod. Yes, she's getting a digital camera. Yes, yes, that's so great.
Speaker 2: It's probably a bag to put all the crap in like it is. Yes, it is annoying that you need all these things, but like we're very much like not going to get her a phone. So it's like, but I want her to have, like you know, she goes to Sleepway camp and she wants to do yeah, and also like she is desperate to walk around and listen to her own music.
Speaker 1: And I was like, do you do that?
Speaker 2: And there are like these small devices right yeah, they're all these like sort of Chinese made devices. I mean everything's made in China, but like you know, they're not attached to any brand. And then so I started Google around with refurbished stuff and people say they still work. Like the last generation of iPod, the seventh generation, which does have a little screen, but there's no internet access. I can't download apps. It's really just to do the thing. You do have to pay for the music. But I'm like, whatever, I will go back to that system.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at something like that for Jack because he is going he's going to private school next year for reasons. But and there's you can bring the phone, but you have to dock it, yeah, in the school lobby. But because they have to stay after school for they're required to say after school for a sport, theater something like that. In an extracurricular and they all go at different times. He needs a phone to be like I'm done, I need to be picked up. Fine, So I found this thing called gab. Did you see gab when you were researching?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't go into the phone, but I talked to someone who I think it's the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's for calling out and calling in. Yeah, you can text, but I have all the controls you can you can make calls of that. That's the guess. What is the phone that you can make calls with? You can text, but you can also limit the people. There's no internet, right, it's not a smartphone. Yeah, but you can download certain games, so you know, just like Busy on the Bus games yea. And you can download music and choose music non explicit music, so like all the things he'd want it for. Yah, because he does want to text his friends and I don't let him do that yet, but you know, he'll be going away to school kind of kind of yeah, and he'll want to text his friends who don't live in his town, right, So I'm considering this, Yeah, but they are coming up with all these things now because again I think I don't know we were once very amped on technology.
Speaker 2: They just they took it too far. They took the human out of it.
Speaker 1: But this has been a consistent theme over off the Cup, talking about social media and phones and kids and games and all of that. So it's evolving, it's evolving. I'll keep you posted on Jack's on Jack's evolution as to become a non iPad kid. I love it. We'll see if it lasts.
Speaker 2: I do, yeah, I hope it does. That. It's perfect timing with the weather, you know.
Speaker 1: It's perfect timing going into summer where he's going to be a camp all day anyway, and then great weather and running around and he's excited to start a new school and maybe you know, because it's like middle school, there's you know more.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like they sort of force them into mature or something.
Speaker 1: They do. They force they force them into a sport. It's no cut force them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so everyone has to take a sport, but they don't. They never cut you from a team or whatever, which is great.
Speaker 2: That was the same with my high school. You had to do something. You could do theater, you could do like a civil service type, yeah, a volunteering thing. But most kids just kick the soccer box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he has to do a sport. Yeah, I think he's going to do growing Oh nice. Cool. And he has to do a choir or a band or a theater.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's a bunch of things he has to do, which is great. And then there's after school clubs like all kinds of stuff. So anyway we need he's not gonna be home at you know, the usual hour. So I know.
Speaker 3: So that was a lot about ranging coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, what I love about coffee talking coffee, it's really it's like a vehicle to talk about anything.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anything, just talk about your life. Coffee is life, what's going on with our kids, what's going on, you know with pop culture and our favorite stuff and travel, like it really is just such a gateway.
Speaker 3: And coffee is such a pro social food.
Speaker 2: Yesually, now that you're out being decaf, Yes, that's right, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm out. I'm hikey hike Yeah, I'm high visibility, low key, but high visibility.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks again to Low Key Coffee, and we will try to get them on the pod so we can learn more about them and this great product. You can go to Lokeycoffee dot com to buy it, and we'll see you next time, all right, Happy bye guys. Off the Cuff is a production of iHeart Podcasts as part of the Reason Choice Network. If you want more, check out the other Reason Choice podcasts, Politics with Jamel Hill and Native Land pod. For Off the Cup, I am your host, Se Cup. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Se Cup, Lauren Hanson, and Lindsay Hoffman. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, Follow or subscribe for new episodes every Wednesday.