Speaker 1: Welcome to the show. Barry bonds Man.
Speaker 2: You seven time MVP, fourteen time All Star, eight Gold Gloves, all time leader, and home runs single season home run leader, the greatest baseball player of all time. When you hear that, what comes to your mind?
Speaker 3: I don't really talk about it. I let my peers talk about it. I always tell people, if you're good at something, they'll talk about it. You don't need to say anything, So I don't really talk about it. I know statistically where I am. I don't need to explain it. I'd rather just help the young generation and give you the information that was given me teacher, as much as I know. And then, you know, I always tell people always ask me, like, how do you do it? I'm just stay around long enough for someone to talk about you. That's pretty much is just don't be a commercial, right, you know, if you want to be really good at something, you just don't have to be doing it a long time.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously very humble about your success, but do you ever kind of look back and at the stuff you've accomplished in some of the records that will never be touched, Like do you think, hey, like when I was playing, I was I really did it at the highest level I do.
Speaker 3: I look back and it's different. I have this, you know, like you talk about Michael Jordan, you can talk our i Q is like way up here, tiger. You know, it's so high. And I think for myself, I look back at the gifts that God blessed me with, and then I look back at the hard work that I put into it. And then I try to find ways of how do I give this to someone else, or how do I teach this, or how do you pass this on? End names and and when you have your peers talk about you, and you know, that's just the top of the list. There's there's no other lists greater than it. I don't care who you are, what you are. If you have your peers talking about you out a plus.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, Dale Strawberry. You got a chance to play when you were Barry?
Speaker 1: Yes, that was that.
Speaker 4: Barry is the greatest player I ever ever seen. I saw Barry when he first came up with the Pirates. Never seen nobody like that. I was like, Wow, it was this guy, a little skinny kid. They got Pittsburgh. He turns a ninety five mile par fastball. Doc gooding around, hit it out of the ballpark. I said, man, he's special. Then I saw him play. I was like, there's nobody, nobody like that. And I mean nobody. I don't care how many players have played this game. There's never been a player like Barry Bond.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 4: Boy could do everything good and he'll let you know it, which was which was great because I know and understand why he was like that, and you know, the media didn't know and understand why he.
Speaker 1: Was like that.
Speaker 4: But it was like that because they treated his father bad and his father was a great player, and he never got the credit for, you know, the kind of player he was. See what a lot of times, well people don't understand this. Black players never get the credit for how good they really are and what they do because you know, the media always want to make it out of well, well, well you should, you make it look so easy. This is not easy what you're doing. I mean, this is hard what we're doing, you know, out there on the ball field and trying to be a complete player. And that's what Bobby Bonds was and that's what Barry Bonds was. Barry took right after his father being a complete player, playing the game of baseball. I have never seen nobody ever that good.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, Dusty Baker's that wrong, bro? You join the Giants right after they signed Barry. He had a great relationship with his father. I had Royce Clayton on last week. He told me how Barry came in with the backwards hat, the dangling earring, the jokes.
Speaker 1: Did you know.
Speaker 2: Barry earlier before he got to the Bigs? Because of obviously your connecting to Bobby Well, I.
Speaker 1: Held very couple days. I think he's born, you know Riverside, Uncle Dusty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so uh hey man, Bobby used to tell me how good Bearry is going to be because I had lost contact with Barry because I was off doing my thing and Bobby wasn't lying.
Speaker 1: You know, he's one of the best.
Speaker 5: No, he's the best player I had and the best player alongside Hank Aaron that I you know that i'd been around.
Speaker 2: What's his day to day?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: We got a chance to sit down with Barry in the way he broke things down and pitches and how he played the mental game in his head, that it was just him and the picture. It wasn't the defense. I mean obviously his preparation was top. Yeah, because see most time he don't tell.
Speaker 1: You he opened up. I'm surprised. Even his daughter's like, well.
Speaker 5: He opened up now because he ain't playing against you.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But see, the thing about it is he was very disciplined, not only on the field, but off the field.
Speaker 1: He worked hard.
Speaker 5: A lot of times people think that he didn't didn't take batting practice, or didn't do this or that. A lot of times he'd get up in the morning and go work out, or they'll come back and then you know, we'd be amazed. Sometimes he hadn't picked up a ball. Sometimes he hadn't swung a bad And now now they got sleep rooms where they used to get on Burier before about sleeping before the game, and now they have designated rooms to sleep you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So you would take just to take a nap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but see you got to like shake you and jump back because the swing, Yeah, I think so, you know, And so like the.
Speaker 5: Thing about it in this man, he knew what was coming, like Hank all the time. He had total recall, you know, and everything. And he's a guy that should should be in the Hall, and he's a guy that should be in the games.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of knowledge there is.
Speaker 2: I agree that you managed him through arguably one of the greatest offensive season in baseball history, the two thousand and two season, where he hit seventy three home runs in the dugout day to day being just up to be able to see his greatness. What was that like?
Speaker 5: Well, every day you just knew he's gonna hit one. Literally, yeah, I mean, you just didn't know how he's going here, right, And Sean Dunstan is a guy that really really uh you know, pumped him up because you know, Barry Design, I don't know. S Yeah, you can do it, man, you could do it.
Speaker 1: They had a bet, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I remember he won a car off it, right. I wasn't gonna say that, but yeah, no, I think he told us about that. Didn't he tell us about that?
Speaker 6: And you know, very little tight man.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to he didn't.
Speaker 2: Want to spend that money. Two thousand and two World Series. You go seven games, right, you guys are up three to two or go six. You were up three two, three outs to go, and and somehow it ended up slipping away.
Speaker 5: Hey, man, just oh, that game at seven. Yeah, you know we got two thousand, twenty twenty two. Yeah, oh yeah, I went seven. And yeah, I mean that's that was a big motivator for me after we lost that serious because my dad told me, he goes, man, I don't know, if you didn't win that game, you may never win one. And you know, back in the old days, negative motivation was something that that.
Speaker 1: You know, would resonate. But now you can't.
Speaker 2: Use negative motivation, so it doesn't work.
Speaker 5: You know, I was along ride home. I knew that I was that I was leaving, and you know, Bill, Bill Watson told me sometimes you can stay somewhere too long, and that's why I left.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, Kenny Lofton. You didn't have a long time with them, but Bonds.
Speaker 7: I mean, it was.
Speaker 8: It was weird seeing him in the clubhouse and walking around. You're like, dude, this dude is a specimen. And seeing Barry, I've never seen a guy let the ball get right here.
Speaker 2: Before you swing the back.
Speaker 1: That's that's uncalled for.
Speaker 6: That's just unseen.
Speaker 8: And me and I still remember let's play. We were playing the playoffs. It was against uh No, I was thinking it was the last series of the year and we were playing against We were playing against the Braves. Smokes was pitching. So the day before we were running the outfield the game or whatever, and Smost was out there doing stuff and he told Barry, I'm gonna come right at you brain.
Speaker 6: He's like, bringing it, get out, bring it out.
Speaker 8: I'm like, oh, she's in the next day and all of a sudden, they came warming up and I'm like, and then Barry hollered out and said, yeah, bring He said, I'm gonna break it. We got to the game, right, so we you know, the first pitch, Smoke through ninety eight right there, and Barry jumped back, got back in the battlest box right. Barry looked at it right the next pitch, she threw ninety eight again, almost in the same spot with a little over the plate, hit that box. Team rolls up line drive and me and me and Reggie Sanders and the dugout was like, did you just see that? He knocked him, not knocked him down, but he's just.
Speaker 6: Didn't even think about.
Speaker 8: The next pitch was almost the same height, just a little bit over the plate.
Speaker 6: Going, light work going, and we.
Speaker 8: Look up w very well, looking at Reggie, he was like, did you.
Speaker 2: Just see that.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, I just saw that, Bro, That's not human.
Speaker 8: Reggis like, that's not human. No, you can't do that, bro. It was and just seeing the discipline he had at the plate, man, it's like and the tough part about it. They didn't want to throw him a strike and when they want to strike it through, he was in the seats well at the stadium.
Speaker 6: That was the only guy I played against. Where we played it. It was at and T Park at the time in San Francisco, and we would play a couple feet in front of the warning track in San Francisco at night, which one of the big ball and we were positioned correctly because it was either a walk or a d fly ball that was stopping. You catch it at the walls, be gone, Oh it's gone. And it wasn't nothing, but wasn't It wasn't no like broken bat, bass hits, was none of that. It was just this or that. And I would go out early every day and watch Barry hit like this is when I'm twenty two years old and you just watching this dude like man, incredible, and he looked out for me too.
Speaker 2: That's dope.
Speaker 9: The show man.
Speaker 2: Another slugger home run hitter during your era was Barry Bonds battling against him? Uh, you know another five tool guy. What were those battles liking? Did you guys have any personal relationship?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know we talk in and out and until we saw each other, always see each oldn anytime they spend trending because you know, we have a speak training in Arizona. But also Erryman was something else, I mean, the guy something else. Ye mean, I mean I conceded myself with a good heater, but he was in the top. I mean I chased so many by peaches, but he never chased any by peaches. He wait for his own peaching, and when when he's speaching, never meets.
Speaker 1: For the show.
Speaker 2: Barry Bonds joins the team in ninety three. What do you remember most about that team? And you know, your first real experience in the big leagues.
Speaker 11: Well, especially in the ninety three team, it was you know, with Barry becoming that main guy, and you know it was still Matt Williams, will Clark, Robie Thompson, William McGee, Kevin Bass. We had Vass, you know, veteran leadership. But Barry came in with his hat backers here ring on with some hot top shoes. First day of spring Trader just starts talking about everybody.
Speaker 1: Damn man. But he took it.
Speaker 11: That was like my big bro because my brother played the Arizona State with him, so I knew him because my mom would cook dinner when they come to play UCLA USC So Barry was already.
Speaker 1: At the house talking about me. Yeah. So then when we became teammates.
Speaker 11: It was like, man, I got another big brother right here, happens to be the best player in the game.
Speaker 1: But it was a great experience. Man.
Speaker 2: Before we get to just seeing Barry day in day out, I wanted to ask about Matt Williams and Will Clark the hot corner over there third base, and then Will the thrill man.
Speaker 11: It was like great story because Robbie Thompson was my double play partner and they'd all come together to the big leagues around the same time. So very very just hard on those dudes, man. And when I got caught up in ninety one, Joseo Rebay was still a short stop taking ground balls and shortstop and I asked mister Thompson where do you like to feed? And he walks behind second base and stands there like this.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, okay, sure enough, I get in the game.
Speaker 11: I think chef hooked won. Bip was on first. I was sliding the hole man made a good play and through it a little bit inside. Robbie went to the back of the back and just watching it going to the right feet.
Speaker 2: He wasn't getting taken out.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 6: So he could have grabbed it.
Speaker 11: He could have got it, bro but he was like, taught me a lesson, and we led the league in double plays. And okay, so, but Barry was always talking shit, right. He said, I'll bet you two grand you don't hit three hundred or two eighty, and if you do, I'll give you two grand.
Speaker 1: If you don't, you owe me a grand. So I was like, all right, cool back.
Speaker 11: I was already hitting close to three hundred. So we come into Dodger Stay and we won the first three games. We had to win the fourth in order to play the Braves in the playoff because they already won one hundred and four games, and being at home in La, we got smoked. Oh man, a little Sorda was going crazy. It was just one of those Dodger Giant rivalry things. And I'll never forget. After the game, I was just so dejected and Barry hands me two grand says good job. I was like, man, how could he be thinking of this shit? We just lost his game. But that's just the kind of dude he is. People don't know that, but it meant a lot to me. But just to know, like during that time he still thought about that.
Speaker 2: It was crazy getting to see him day in day out, his work ethic, his VP and just his greatness on the field.
Speaker 1: What was that like?
Speaker 11: Man, it was different because I'm having the best players I've ever seen in my life, you know, the Tony Gwinn's and all these Barry Larkins, all these dudes.
Speaker 1: Asking me like, how is it playing with this dude?
Speaker 11: I'm like, man, you're totally like how you asking me this? But you know, we had a good time with it, and I think I picked up I was able to understand his mental because at the time you're young, you're just seeing this dynamic player. You're not understanding how mentally superior he is to be, how good he is. So different examples like we would go I remember we were playing the Reds or somebody, and he looks at me, goes, man, we don't get paid for overtime. Why I'm dibbles throwing a hundred. Barry comes up first, pissed.
Speaker 1: Oh. I was just like, oh, my dad, Yeah.
Speaker 11: I've never seen a dude besides him and Griffy. I'll tell you Griffy story. But those dudes were just different, like how good they were and confident and their mental was just like different.
Speaker 2: Fourteen time all start, eight gold gloves, all time leader and home runs, Barry bonds.
Speaker 3: You know, like with my career, you know, I took a little bit from everyone. I mean, the greatest of the greats become they kind of like steal gifts from other people, and you're able to create yourself, you know, like Tony Gwinn here, Pete Rose here, you know, Willie May's here, Hank here and there, and you know, we're able to see all these qualities in each individual player and then you kind of invent yourself. I just wanted to be a great hitter. I knew I had power, I knew I could do certain things, but my dad always told me, you know, be a great hitter. Don't chase the fence, chase the fence, you're gonna lose. Be a great hitter, and that's that's all I.
Speaker 1: Wanted to do.
Speaker 3: So I had to take Tony gwyn as a great hitter, Pee Rose at a great hitter, Rod Carw, and I had to take contact hitters because I could hit the long ball, but I was striking out a lot when I was younger, and I had to close that gap. And so my dad always told me, we're going to think you don't do well, son, things you do well, you always gravitate to that. If you can bring twenty percent or thirty percent or ten percent of what you don't do well, that increases what you do well. So it kind of balances them together.
Speaker 2: You mentioned, I mean Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, Pete Rose, some of the greatest contact hitters of all time. What were some of the things you watched that they did that you kind of picked up on.
Speaker 3: Their patients the way that they can calculate things on the field. I was able to mathematically calculate what a picture can and can't do. Once I can calculate you, then I could beat you. And then then it becomes this what is beating him. The goal of hitting is it's me and him, and if I can keep that tunnel vision between me and him and forget the goons that are around him, because in theory, my job is just to hit him and be good against him. Understanding the velocity of a pitch just a fastball. So we're just going to use a fastball analysis because you have a guy who throws batting practice to you every single day, and he only throws a fastball, right, and he tries to help you be really good, and we screw that up half the time. So I had to figure out how to master batting practice first, because this guy is trying to help me, So how do I can direct that? Now, I'm going to piece it to speed. Now I have to understand what my swing technique is and then understand the velocity of a pitch and the velosy of the ball. The further the faster it comes to me, the further goes right. But I don't change who I am. Right now, if I can focus on him, I already know the speed of a ball. Off my bat goes a certain speed, I don't care how many people over here, I can still squeeze it through you. It's not like you're going to catch every single thing, right, So my job is my victory is to make contact off of him. Once I do that, everything else is out of the equation. Right, So in theory I win. I really do win, even though the pictures standing on the mounta going I got you out. No, the second basement did a downfielder did? Oh this guy, you were already out of equations. So we took all these people off the field. You would lose so much and be really crazy. Right, So now I have to redirect my brain into this tunnel vision of understanding. If I can concentrate enough to me and him, they slowly disappear. But I can't fight two people at once. I can't say a hit the line drive to a short stop, or hit the line drive to the outfielder and he made a catch. Now I want to try to beat them both. You can't one on one. I can fight, but I can't fight two on one.
Speaker 1: I'm going to lose.
Speaker 3: So I have to refocus and go right back to here and go, let me try to do that again. Let me try to do that again, and let me try to do that again, and then my success rate with him and me become better to my face because now I'm focused on him, and now his math has to change. And so we're going to play chess constantly, right, But in theory, there's a lot more to the game than it is. Because he's sixty feet six inches and he has to throw a ball seventeen inch home plate within this gap. Well, lots of physics tell me he can only do it so many times. Even if I just stand there and never sweep, He's only gonna be able to do so many times, and then mathematically he has to come to where I get the advantage.
Speaker 1: It's just that's just.
Speaker 2: My idea of those breakdown. He just gave you so many layers of the Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Just it's just it's hard to explain where my brain goes.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had those computer guys that do all this and you're like going and he looks at you, like, this is a computer one on one you stupid. Well that's how my brain was in baseball. I'm like, you know, I'll get these questions like what do you think about so and so. I'm like, it's April or it's true, dude, I don't no, you know, I don't. I don't have that equation. There's so many things that can go wrong and right that I don't get excited. I don't get excited over the first city.
Speaker 1: Of a home run.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, okay, we got nine innings. I don't jump enjoy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: All I'm doing is focusing on that picture, focusing on the mistake, or focusing on something else that can happen, you know. And that's just how I think rubs people the wrong way.
Speaker 1: But so many I can do it that works for you.
Speaker 2: That's all that matter. Is welcome to show, David Justice the goat in your opinion.
Speaker 12: Well, in my eerror the best hitters, no doubt, Arry Barry bonds for show. And if you say it wasn't him, you just wasn't watching. So Barry Barry is the goat as a as as a hitter, the picture the goat as a picture. Hell man, I might I almost say a three way time Pedro Martine as Greg Maddox and I'll even put Roger Clemens there too.
Speaker 2: You think Barry will ever get in the Hall of.
Speaker 6: Fame, Barry gonna have to be six ft under to get in the hold of just like they ve p ROAs.
Speaker 12: They're gonna You're gonna have to be sit.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be ye.
Speaker 12: Him and Clemens are gonna have to be underground before they get in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show. Howard Bryant the steroid era. He wrote a whole book on the beginning of it. I think steroids save baseball at a certain point. Am I am I crazy to think that, but I said, I again, that's the best time I remember my teenage years. I'm reminiscent again. Forgive me, y'all, but this was the best time. I mean, obviously, I'm a football baseball basketball player. Football and basketball my two fair sports. But I couldn't wait to get home to watch that raaseball.
Speaker 13: It's true, and it can you make the argument that the steroid eraror save the game.
Speaker 2: And the MLB played into it. I mean, chicks dig the long ball. There was commercials and all kinds of other shit that went along with it.
Speaker 13: They did, they did, and as a Hall of Fame voter, they left it to us. And this is one of the reasons why I stopped voting for the Hall of Fame was because it was like, well, wait a minute, you didn't give us any rules on this. You gave us rules on Pete Rose, we couldn't vote for him. Heave holes on Jackson, he couldn't. He's not on the ballot, we couldn't vote for him. Right, But you profited off as steroids. Your managers are in the Hall of Fame. Who managed these guys? Tony the Russes in the Hall of Fame? He had, he had Maguire, he had Conseko, you know he had, you know, Ruben Sierra, all the others, guys who were accused of using steroids. Right, Joe Torres in the Hall of Fame. And Roger Clemons isn't in the Hall of Fame. Alex Rariguez isn't in the Hall of Fame. So you're gonna punt and leave that to me. You're gonna make me the management stooge for not voting for these guys when you put all your guys in. Bud Selik has a statue in front of Miller Park in Milwaukee, so you have you erect a statue to yourself, but you leave it to us to keep these guys out. So I didn't think that was very fair.
Speaker 2: When you say leave it to us, is it kind of like a a consensus or what's understood doesn't need to be explained, Like everyone knows not to vote for that, I mean because Barry Bonds.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 13: Because what I used to do with my Hall of Fame vote was I was I would always call the Hall of Famers. I would call guys. I would call Jill Morgan, I would call Dennis Secresley. I would call a lot of guys and say, what do you think? Because once again, like we cover the game, right, but we see the game differently than the way you see the game. And so what I was always trying to do with my with my ballot was to try to make it a panorama, try to get everybody. Here's what his peers thought about him, Here's what I saw, Here's here are all the different layers and ways, here's the way, Here's the way the fans saw it. And I would ask all those questions. The Hall of Famers didn't want us to vote for the steroid guys either. Really, in fact, there had always been a movement that of Bonds, and some of those guys got in. We're not coming as a protest, so you know, we try to blame the writers all the time, and it's a massive thing.
Speaker 2: I was just going to ask that. I was gonna say what that, because I mean, I feel like as former players, like whether you get the recognition or not from the media or the fans or whatever, I think you really hang your hat on what your peers think.
Speaker 13: About those old school Those guys were old school, very and those old school guys are like, no drugs. Even though they were using drugs. They were using greens and they were using you know, weed and whatever else they were using. And some of those guys would say, hey, would I use steroids if I had the chance. I don't know, but they were very, very clear you cheated. And so my attitude has always been, if Bonds gets into the Hall of Fame, he earned it. If he doesn't get into the Hall of Fame, he earned it. Did over a Rod, you know, did over all those guys. You can't look at them and say, there's no reason why you're not in, right, we all know what why they're not in. It's not like the writers or the the now the Veterans committees now that they don't know they're making a decision. They're making a judgment, and they're making a call. But here, Matt, here's the other thing. I think I've softened on this because I look at it this way. There is the death penalty, or there's parole. That's kind of kind of how I see it. You know, there's life without parole or life with parole or whatever. Right, and so from a parole standpoint, if we're going to do it from illegal, you know, use the legal jargon. If you put Barry Bones in the Hall of Fame right now, twenty years after he retired, and he's the greatest baseball player I've ever seen, right, we all know that he paid the price for that. We all know. It's not like, oh man, we don't know why Barry didn't get in, you know, in twenty twenty seven. So to me, it sort of feels like, even if you do put these guys in now, they've all paid a pretty haven't they paid a pretty good price?
Speaker 1: Well, my question enough to cut you off.
Speaker 2: I mean, you look at some of these guys that you know, and my thing is it was it was it against them. There was no rules on.
Speaker 1: It at the time.
Speaker 2: Correct the law, but it wasn't a rule in MLB right now.
Speaker 13: It wasn't a rule in MLB at the time. However, my counter that had always been if there was no rule and we were all acting ignorantly because there was no rule, why'd you hide it? Would youly?
Speaker 14: For?
Speaker 13: I mean, everybody knew you're not supposed to be doing it.
Speaker 1: We all knew what.
Speaker 13: Everybody knew what was happening.
Speaker 2: So then my second question to that is, you look at Marvel Wires rookie year where he hits forty plus home runs and Barry Bonds had but two or three MVPs before he even was accused of so you know these guys can play the game at the highest level.
Speaker 13: I don't believe that it's part of the question. I don't think anybody is looking at Barry Bonds and go I wonder if he was talented enough. That's not the that's the question. The conversation is the drugs. We're talking about drugs. And I remember when I did juice in the game five and I was on sixty minutes with Mike Wallace and had to run down to spring train. In the next day, Derek Jeter comes by and hits me on the leg with the bat and he goes, hey, sixty minutes, We're not all doing this, you know, so they all had the same conversations, and I felt and I do feel like when people say, oh, you can't have a Hall of Fame without Barry Buns. Yeah, I mean there's this is the price. When people talk about legacy, this is the price. And everybody lost. I mean the players got to keep their money. You know, sure there's that, but really, this whole generation of players, Maguire, palmerow A, Rod Sosa, Clemens, Roger exactly. I mean, you know all of them, and you're looking at this and you're going, we're talking to Jason Giambi about this, and I and I covered g and he's one of my all time favorites. And if you ever had he, as I always say, there are guys who make the job easy, guys who make the job hard. Jason made the job.
Speaker 1: Very, very, very easy.
Speaker 13: And I'm sure you had it on your side as a players. There are writers who walked in the room who made the shit easy, and there were guys who were like, come on now, I.
Speaker 2: Want to deal with you.
Speaker 13: And I remember Jason was the only guy. And I remember this like it was just that they were sitting there at Legends at Stein Burnerfield when Jason had finally got cornered in the subpoena and the Balco grandurad and it was all and he looked in the camera and somebody said, Jason, did you use steroids? And Jason looked at the camera and he said no. And everybody there who knew and who had covered Jason, nobody was trying to get him. Nobody was out again, and we all felt terrible because we knew what a good dude he was. And Jason the next year, after all the grand jury stuff went down, he was the only guy who just walked over to me and he shook my hand and he said, I apologize for lying to you, really, and he said I was stuck. There was nothing I could do. They all the cameras were me and I was like, gee, you apologize to me. Like we all knew what was going down, and it was a very difficult situation for everybody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, welcome to.
Speaker 2: The show, Gary Sheffield, Barry Bonds, you guys used to trying together.
Speaker 1: What was that like?
Speaker 2: What'd you learn from him?
Speaker 15: Well, I I had just got married, like I told you, and I made la with my home for the off season, so I didn't have no training partners in my routine got compromised because I'm not going back to Florida. So Scott Boyd suggested I go work out with Barry Bonds up north, up in San Francisco. And actually Barry wasn't even there when I got there because he was in aspen skin. And when I first got there, I discovered I had to have surgery on both of my legs and didn't know it was wrong. I had cysts in the back of my legs and doctor teen behind your knees, behind my knees and doctor team he performed the surgery. So when Barry showed up, I was in two casts like in both legs and so but they was They said in about three four weeks, I'll be fine, and so I go in the gym. But when I got the cast off, I asked Barry, I said, how do you come back from knee injuries? Because I know you had knee injuries. He said, you got to start training right away. So I was like, okay. So I went in the gym and I did some squats, and I was doing squats and then all of a sudden, my.
Speaker 1: Stitches burst over.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it burst open, and then all of a sudden that the trainers kept putting this this this cream stuff on it, and they just kept rubbing down and then they taped it up, and I went to the doctor and I went and got stitches foot back in and then after that, all of a sudden, I start training with Barry. And then Barry started, you know, like leaving me in the morning, you know, because this is all part of his game of making me, you know, get up early and mentally tough and all this type of stuff. So I was going through that and then I was like, you know, I'm not with this, and I left. And next thing, you know, I get a call that I got to go testify, you know, against Barry Bonds. And I'm like, whoa, So now I laway up, I go down there and testify. I was on the stand for probably three questions. That was it. And so now all of this stuff comes back full circle. And when I look at this stuff, that decision of going to work out with him may have cost me more than I thought.
Speaker 2: What was the kreamans putting on you?
Speaker 15: I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. But but the thing is that when you're in a gym. What could they possibly be putting on you? Yeah, you know, so they put it on there. I went back to the doctor, got stitches, and then the rest is history. Now they got testing in place, So now everybody want to see what you made of Now, nothing change. My number steer the same, still staying.
Speaker 2: Barry Man, We appreciate you, we love you. Thoughts on no Tani, I mean I think he came in and has taken MLB by storm and then signed a monster contract. Thoughts on just his ability to do hit the ball the way he does and also pitch, and just the versatility of his game.
Speaker 3: The pitching and hitting has been outstanding. For what he's done in base running and stuff like that, he's a complete player. I mean, there's no doubt about the type of player he is, what he's accomplished in his career. The game has just changed. I mean, the game is way different than it is than when I play the same way Michael talks about it or anyone else. Oh, Tani is not going to hit two home runs without seeing one goal right here in my generation. I don't care what he does. He's not going to steal two bases without somebody decapitating his kneecap and slow him down because it's a different game back then today's game. They take batting practice all day. They take batting practice at one, two, three, four, five, all the way up. These guys hit more than I've ever seen in my entire lifetime that we didn't do, and they should be better than us. It's hitting wise because they can hit a home run, flip their bat up in the air, run around, get a taco, come back down, have a limo, drive around. You know, all these antics that we weren't allowed to do.
Speaker 1: If I did.
Speaker 3: Anything like that, there's no way I'm going to see a star. You know, I'll see the hospital, but I ain't gonna see baseball. And so as a hitter, we had to hit in a way to where I hit a home run. I know what's coming in next set back our possibility. So my thing is I have to be a little more defensive and be more of a contact hitter to get out of a problem than it's well, they can just do and hit, hit, and sometimes I think it could be a disadvantage. But o Tani, dude boy can play. There's no question about who he is. I just my opinion.
Speaker 1: I just hope he.
Speaker 3: Just stays at the hitting category because his hitting ability is off the chart. Pitching, I just think might tire him out. I think he should come out of the bullpen here and there, like he has because he's dhing. He come out of the bullpen and throw an inning or two here and just because he's so good as a reliever too, Like he could be one of the dominant relievers and dominant starters. I think as a starter, man, I think it might get wear a tear a little bit and tire him out. Why fix something that isn't broken, because that's like I couldn't me. I'd be like, no, I fix my name broke. This is good, I'm good piece, this is great. But I think coming out of the bullpen, he could really dominate.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the shelf.
Speaker 6: C Yeah, I'm tiny in the sport.
Speaker 9: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think there would be other people that can come along and hit and pitch. I probably think there probably were some other people that could have did it, but I don't think at this guy's level. Like, yeah, he's the best baseball player I ever seen. And I said that I saw him play one inning of one game and he hit a grundball to shortstop the DD and he beat it out at first base. And I was like, this guy's the biggest, the fastest, he hits the ball, the furthest he throws the ball the hardest. You guys, remember that guy which all Little League when youa was twelve years old whatever, his name was the best player. That's so turney at the highest level. At the highest level, is it?
Speaker 2: I mean, and this is just sport. Is it early too early to say he is or will be the greatest of all time?
Speaker 9: I said it the first day. He's the greatest baseball player to ever play? Really? Yes, absolutely? And I'm a huge Berry bonceman. I grew about here. Barry's the goat. But Barry can't go out and throw seven innings. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, this guy is basically Roger Clemens and Barry Boner, you know what I'm saying. Like, So that that, to me, you know, sets him apart. But Barry is a close second for me, you know, growing up out here. But but no, it's so tiny for sure, definitely different. No, I mean, I think it's just fundamentals, right, Like if you talk about European basketball, like they do everything right and even if you want a young team at a young age, everything is fundamentally like locked in. So they come over here and it's you know, they do everything the right way and it makes the game easier for him. And I think now you're starting to see like power and slug from these guys, where at first it was, you know, it was more you know, the each ye roads and those type of guys. But now, I mean, you got Otani and you got you know, the guy that came from the white size, I can't think of his name, but you got real, you know sluggers that are coming from over there that can play this game. So it's fun to watch. How much credit does Matsu deserve one thousand? I mean, I think if you ask so Tani, he would say each rods got one right that I think so, I think so. I think if you asked ough Tony, he would say each yi rosisness rat. I have no idea. I've never heard him say that he took the game by staring. He did okay, and he didn't strike out, but he I mean, he was a three thirty hitter with you know, all the hits and stuff. But he could have easily hit two eighty and hit forty homers every Yeah, you know what I mean. So he I mean four thousand hits in his career. I mean unbelievable players. So I think he kind of kicked down the door for what we saw as Japanese you know, hitters. He was really the first one.
Speaker 6: The first one five players in the league you like watching most.
Speaker 9: Right now, I'm gonna always watch Aaron Judge if he's on. I'm always watch Bobby with Junior. I don't know if y'all seen him. Bobby with Junior is an animal. Gunner Henderson third such short stop for Baltimore. I love watching Jazz. I like watching like the Yankee games obviously, and Jackson cheerio centerfielder for the Brewers. I love watching hitters, man. I don't like watching the one and nothing game. I want to watch eight to nothing like I was flying around the bases, hitting the balls hard. So I love watching offense, so I'm always name hit her.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Showmokie Betts, oh Tani. We'll talk about him on the field and how incredible he is, but what is he like off the field? Is the is there does he speak any English? Ship does he got any jokes? He got some jokes, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 16: Honestly, you don't see him. Don't see him, No, you can't really see him. He's he's that person that he just he literally cannot go anywhere. He can't live a normal life, and so it kind of sucks, like we after we leave the stadium, you don't see him, and it's I get it, he can't he can't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: So but what's he like in the locker room when he's cool, He's just be chilling, like he's really he's quiet.
Speaker 16: He only hit this year, so you know, he was kind of hanging out chilling. Then he started throwing a little bit when he would go outside throw and then come back. And he never never worked way too much and never worked a little. He just did what he needed to do. And I mean, he's just more gifted and more gifting, just better than everybody and there's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 2: On the field, I mean, you've seen him do some incredible things. Hopefully he gets back to the mound this upcoming year. But you know, the hitting, we actually went to a game that you guys went back to back for the game before the game. But you know, just to kind of see that that energy. But what is he like as just a guy out there on the field or you know, whether he's just hitting or on the mound.
Speaker 16: He's really he's really normal. Like it's just what he does is so unnormal. Like he's really normal in his preparation. He goes and talks and he competes.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 16: He's not more of a competitor than that I am. He's just you know, and so you know, everybody sees, you know, they see him as a normal guy. We all see him like, you know.
Speaker 1: It's just show.
Speaker 16: But then he goes put up fifty to fifty, you know, and wins every award in the world, and you're like, damn, yeah, you know, you forget, Like he show helly.
Speaker 2: World Baseball Classic. The title comes down to you and them. Yeah they got y'all. Yeah, that's against his former teammate.
Speaker 16: We got old tiny dog, we got o tiny A lot of teams do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 16: He did the whole country of the USA. He did the best of the which is why and then you know how cold he is right there? He did and he went through you know, the top of the lineup as well, and so yeah, that that was a cool experience, you know, Team USA being able to put on that uniform that was that was amazing.
Speaker 1: That that was amazing.
Speaker 16: How I'll play that was cool.
Speaker 1: My man, Nick.
Speaker 7: They call him Swish show hal Tony who By the way, I don't know what he's like on the inside of the locker room, but all I'm saying is you need to watch that motherfucker and you're like, damn, I respect the shit out of him because every second of every day is spent towards being the best player in the world for him. But he got I think I heard he's got like a watch or something, and it like judges like how much sleep he gets, and if you don't get enough sleep, he goes back to sleep, and then when the watch beaks, he gets up brow.
Speaker 1: Hey, y'o. Hey they're different.
Speaker 7: Hey, if you've been up on Otani at all, you've been up on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He's a big dude.
Speaker 1: Like he got pipes too. Shit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 7: Motherfucker was made in a factory.
Speaker 1: Bro for real, This dude is for real.
Speaker 6: He said you never took VP on. He never even ran it.
Speaker 7: Takes VP on the field. No, you never take it on the field. No, No, I'm telling you, man, I heard it.
Speaker 1: Fuck man.
Speaker 7: I forget his name, manager, and I'm forgetting his name, and I'll grab it here in a minute. But I was doing some work for Peacock and we had Sunday Sunday Morning Baseball when they was trying to get that off the ground. And the coolest part of that job was I was doing pre I was doing pre and post And the coolest part of that job is being able to go and interview the managers for the game. That's the dopest part about it because like for me, Bro, like that's who I need to learn from. Like, I want to be around those motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: I want to see what they're doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, that's the guys I want to see, Bro, Like, those guys are better than me. And I've always taken that route. You flock to the people or that are better than you, and you'll get better along the way, you feel me. So I was interviewing him and we're just bullshit and we were.
Speaker 1: Just catching up.
Speaker 7: He was our bench coach in New York for Boone Either for a minute, and yeah, Phil Nevin and I said, dude, tell me, tell me about Otani. He's like, bro, you you couldn't ask for anything better. Like there's there's nothing he does wrong. Like you ain't got worried about Autani going out till three am. No, no, no, because he was when his watch click.
Speaker 1: He's a bad you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: So like when you have someone like that who's at the forefront of not only your organization but for your league on the international front.
Speaker 17: Cauz, this dude's a global superstar.
Speaker 7: How many fuck people can say they're a global superstar. Yeah, we got some, we got some. We got some amazing players over here, but we ain't talking about global cause you know what I'm saying, Like he hits on a different level. Oh, by the way, you know he's fucking pele bro. He only got one name now he like prints. You don't even need to say his name anymore because you know.
Speaker 2: Well, we see another player of his type on on the on the mound.
Speaker 1: Are they coming?
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 1: Are they coming?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I hope so, because at the end of the day, man, like listen, we are in that Velo era and these young ThunderCats got some cannons for arms.
Speaker 2: Bro thundercasts too. They're just so the kid. These kids are big whatever they are, They're fucking.
Speaker 7: Much just the overall it's like these dudes peak and like they're full like grown up at like twenty one. I'm like, what I look like a little kid, I think, brot the point.
Speaker 2: I think to your point, the international, the influx, the Japanese influx, with the pitching the I mean.
Speaker 7: Commissioner man for BRO, I'm like, yo, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: You guys are fucking they're they're putting us on a level global. Yeah, I'm saying, like what themo Just overall in general, just being able to have the ability to not only be to be able to have all races represented in our game, it's fucking awesome, dude. It's such a It can be more diverse, but it is a diverse group, which I think is awesome. But not only that, just think of all the stud Asian players that have just come over as of late, and because they rolling them in now, the way these young kids over there is trained. It's development, bro, It's about fucking getting yourself better. They're not chasing fucking little plastic ass rings at eight years old.
Speaker 1: No, they ain't like.
Speaker 7: That, dude. That's why when these dudes come to the show, they're ready, they're ready, ready, and they're fucking contributing. Like nah some mental process crazy. Yeah, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Tyler Glassna obviously huge Japanese presence on your guys side. I came up in locker rooms where no way was off limits, Like do you guys have fun talk shit to them?
Speaker 1: If they do?
Speaker 2: If you do, how do they react? How do they take it?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 17: What is that interaction like when it's not the game, just like the entering between Yeah, it's just all the same. Nothing's off limits. That's what I feel like too as a baseball player, as an athlete, Like we're very fortunate to have that. My whole life has just been that, like there's no you can do this, you can't do that, there's no like hr type of thing. So you really you develop like a good sense of humor and tough skin and like, and you have to learn how to talk shit yourself exactly, Like it's important to learn, you know exactly, Like it's a good it can't just be like, well I'm gonna tell on you and then now nothing. This isn't going to be a thing. It's like you kind of have to learn how to become a thing.
Speaker 6: You don't know the language all you do and learn the curse where it's exactly.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but they from there, Yeah, they're great, like they'll they got tough. Like we everyone talks shit to everybody, and it's like, you know, it's out of love. You're not like trying to be mean, so it's no one cares. Everyone's like talking, especially keik And and clop House like he's talking shit to everybody.
Speaker 1: It's perfect.
Speaker 2: It keeps it loose.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it has to be a dream come true for you to be a Solka kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Plan for the Dodgers was that was the dog where the Dodgers always your squad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Growing up, we live like thirty five, which could be like two hours to the field, so like we would go to games sparingly, but like on weekdays generally and like lead before traffic. But I've always liked them. We'd always go to games. I remember watching games in the backyard of my dad all the time, and it was like.
Speaker 1: I always liked it.
Speaker 2: Dottery not only a hometown team, but when with your hometown team. That's got to be.
Speaker 1: Different, insane.
Speaker 17: It's crazy, and I think it'll really sink in when I'm like done.
Speaker 6: And just at that moment. Yet in that moment standing on the mound looking around, like yeah.
Speaker 17: I think comparatively because there's been some postseasons that I haven't won, and you go into the off season, Like with the Rays, you go to the off season and it stings for like three months, like you think about I wake up in the middle of the night like damn, like you know what I mean, Like if you don't pitch well or this or that, there's always like that ruminating thing that happens randomly, like you get a little anxious thought of like it just got you think about it, and it's like a little virus that's always there. And you didn't win and you think about it, and it's it's like I'll be at Thanksgiving dinner like having a good conversation, I'm like, oh we lost. Yeah, Like so it's just I can I can feel that, and then after twenty five feeling that at Thanksgiving being like oh my god, we want like I pitched one and I participated and so it's cool to feel the contrast of both, but I think the real zoom out part of it'll be what I'm done, and I'll appreciate it a lot more.
Speaker 2: What's the Atini experience been, like, I mean, arguably the most famous athlete on the planet. Yeah, what's that like? Just a day to day traveling with that and seeing it.
Speaker 17: He's a man, He's he's kind of a unicorn in a sense of obviously like his physical talents and stuff, but his like, like the mental fortitude part is pretty insane. Like I think for the most part, when you're around you know this when you're around dudes for seven months a year, Like how up and down people can be. And there's all different flavors of up and down, but everyone has like good and bad days. Some people are a lot more volatile than others. But some people hide it, but no doubt you can tell. But with him, I really have. It helps when he hits like four hundred and a million home runs every year, but he's had some tough times and bad starts and things have gone on, and he's the same dude all the time, and he does the same thing on the flight. He's always smiled, smiley, happy. He has to do, like all the extra media compared to what we do after the game. He's got like five hundred people sitting there talking to him. He's always smiling, he's always respectful, and he's just like he's it's crazy, like he'll he sits on the flights no matter how long the aar and he reads comic books. It's crazy. Like he doesn't look at like electronic screen. He does like it's like perfect. It's crazy. He just reads comic books and sleeps and sleeps like so much. I'll ask him how many hours of sleep he guys he's like eleven hours, Like, no problem.
Speaker 6: That's part of the culture. I guess I always want to learn. It's crazy. I remember being teammates with playing with him with the Angels he was a rookie, and seeing his ability to make adjustments, never get down himself, Like he has this inner confidence of knowing everything is going to work out, like things that you would tell your boy, like you know you're gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like he knows that, yeah, And he decides early in the season, all right, who am I going to be this year? If he has Tommy John and he knows he won't be able to pitch. All right, I'm gonna be a slugger stolen based guy. Yeah, all right, what this year I'm going to pitch? All right, I'll take it back on the stolen basis. I'll, you know, to be able to mix and match through this, but to see somebody have to balance out the workload of locking in and all the work that goes into it being a starting picture and flip it on. As soon as he gets through the ending he has to turn it on and go to the batrack, get his helmet, get his bat and be locked in for one of the nastiest pictures in the game. Because everybody's discussing these days, like how do you feel like he's able to manage the mental workload that that comes with it and have some level of personal life or do you just not have a personal life. I don't know.
Speaker 17: I don't you have to ask him. I'm not sure what his personal I mean, he's married as a kid, like, he loves his dog, and his dog is well trained, so clearly there's some times.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 17: I think I think it's sleeping comic books. I don't know, Like, I don't know what else he's doing, but he just seems I don't know, I don't know, like what he does all the time at home, but he's always chilling on the road and just hanging out. And I'm not quite sure everything. But I think for the two most obvious things, like the sleep, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to call.
Speaker 2: Fellow, you got any questions the biggest Dodger faner of the world, where you want.
Speaker 6: To what do you got my question? Like, I'm sure of great baseball.
Speaker 1: Growing up, And.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean it's hard to even know where to begin with with a guy like him. First off, I mean, you look from an offensive perspective, he's you know, top two three, you know, offensive threats, and all of baseball, if not the most offensive threat, teams are fear him. He has the ability to hit any pitch really over the fence. The fact that he's one of the fastest players on the field as well is remarkable. So that's one aspect. There's a hitter of show, hey, you know, top top three hitter in all of baseball. And then you go away to say he can also pitch. He's a number one starter on you know, the best team in baseball, and he's a top I don't know what three to five pitcher in baseball. We've never seen it before. Maybe maybe Babe Ruth, but hard hard to say. I don't think we'll ever see it again, to be honest with you. It takes so much time and effort to be good at one thing, and for him to be good at two things at the highest level is just unimanageable. And also, I mean to throw on the top that he's the most famous star in Japan, right and and we know how fanatical the fans are, especially in Japan. He doesn't have any downtime. I mean, he's he's always has to be always has to be on and he's and he's got so much to do. Now that I'm around a little bit, you just see how much he does on a daily basis. Sometimes he's in the cage and he's going to do his his pitching work. Like there's a lot of a lot of moving parts in his world and he's able to figure him all out and have a ment success. So I don't I don't see another player being like him ever.
Speaker 2: From a business standpoint, the impact of these Japanese players and the influx of it, what do your thoughts, just as a as a baseball mind.
Speaker 18: Yeah, there's no doubt there's some pretty talented players coming out out of Japan and that's a obviously we were actually just in Tokyo a few weeks ago. Is it on a family trip? Which is you spending time over there? That It's great, super clean, so fun, just very interesting and I would definitely recommend it. But you know, it's a it's a big country, big baseball culture that's been going on for for a long time. They obviously have their professional teams, but it's a huge audience, right, It's a massive audience that follows sho he Otani and the other guys. But show he is like up here and he's on when you go there, you see he's on every billboard, he's on every bus, he's on it. You know, his marketing team is doing a pretty pretty good job. He's everywhere over there. He's the biggest star by far over there. I kind of I would say he's like Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson at their highest. He's wrapped up into one dude, which is pretty remarkable. So with that said, yeah, it's creating a lot more opportunities and obviously him more in a Dodger uniform is helpful for the Dodgers our time, and when we were in Europe in London, I mean, the whole goal there was just kind of slowly expand the sport in other areas. Obviously Japan already huge baseball culture, Latin America huge baseball culture, but once you kind of go that side of the Atlantic, not so much so just trying to get another footprint over there. NFL has been doing it for a long time and they've had some success at MBA, as you know, are really starting to spend spend some money over there, and Inajor League Baseball wants.
Speaker 2: To be the same. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Jeff Passon.
Speaker 2: Was instrumental in breaking the Otani interpreter gambling story. That story, along with any others that you worked on, that really come into mind as some of the crazier stories you've worked on during your tenure.
Speaker 19: I first heard the tip about Otani's gambling, and by the way, that's how it was framed to me. First tip was Shoheatani might have gambling problem, and it's like, oh, first, the first thing I think is, oh God, like the thing that's too good to be true. Actually is, and you know, I reached out to a reporterer with our investigative team, t Thompson, who I knew, and she's much better at that area than I am. You know, She's got sources in places that I don't, and Tish's done an incredible job on this, and she was the one who had the conversation with Ibe Mitzuhara where that like forced the Dodgers to address this in Japan and inside the clubhouse, and we were getting ready to run with that story when you know, they reach out to us and say, actually, this is not what happened.
Speaker 1: Wo.
Speaker 19: Yeah, And so I was I was not quite in the middle of that. But as all of this is going on, I remember I was sitting there. I was at a gas station filling up my tank, talking to Tisha, like what is going on here? And how has this thing broken as wildly as it has? And I just, you know, I look at all of this and we're in such a such a conspiracy loving society that there's a large segment of people out there who still believe that show Hao Tani was the one who was gambling. I am never going to entirely discount any story because the world's a weird place. But I just ask those same people to read the thirty something page indictment against Depay, to listen to the phone calls that were made by him to get money transferred out of that account. There's just a lot of evidence, and if it actually is all a cover up, it is one of the greatest cover ups in the history of the world. And I give him so much credit for covering it up like that.
Speaker 2: You did something that I think is very admirable because we live in such a day and age where clickbait runs and hot takes are prevalent, and you publicly apologize to a tani for we laugh. But I mean I appreciate because I'm a former athlete and now transitioning in this media space. I see people and I remember as a player, I didn't like it, but I appreciate people who have an opinion, and there's always the facts to your opinion. But then when you see that it's not what you thought it was, most people just let it go. You decided not to do that.
Speaker 19: Why would you ever be angry about being wrong? We're wrong at things every single day, and if I'm going to teach my children that Acknowledging when you're wrong is the most important thing that you can do, because it shows humility and because it shows fallibility, and because it shows vulnerability and all these things that are important in being a productive, contributing member to society. Then I'm just a hypocrite if I don't do that. And also he was so good and I was so.
Speaker 5: Wrong, like there's wrong and there's God damn, you fucked up this one.
Speaker 1: And you know I didn't do it.
Speaker 19: I didn't write that story, Matt for like, I don't care about clicks like that. That's the honest to god truth. I'm comfortable enough with the work that I do that I don't need validation through numbers. And I've done this for twenty five years almost now, and I'm thrilled with where my career has taken me. So you know, I can lose scoops that I'm fighting for and not beat myself up too badly. And I can get things wrong, but getting it wrong to that level. I had talked with scouts and people who had watched him all spring, and let's remember, like Shoho Tani, this is how talented he is. He really did struggle at the plate that spring, and he decided to make a swing change on the eve of his first season. He was leg kicking with his front leg during spring training and his timing was just all askewed. And then you know, you see it now, the little ankle twist here before he goes. That was suggested to him during the last preseason series that they had against the Angels. They did, you know, they just did a couple exhibition games down in La and Otani changed his swing there and that changed the course of his career.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: He deferred nearly seven hundred million dollars of his contract. Obviously, he's probably one of the globally the biggest stars in the world. Is there an estimate estimated amount of money you think he's making per year just all in.
Speaker 19: I mean personally, with all of the advertisements, with all of the sponsorships and stuff like that. I mean, it's upward of one hundred million dollars. And the Dodgers, the Los Angeles Dodgers are not the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: They are the show.
Speaker 19: Heyo Tani Shell Corporation like that. I mean, like it's honest, it's and and hey, good for them.
Speaker 14: They saw what the Angels never did goodn't They understood that Otani himself is a monolith, that the game almost revolves around him as much as anything. They saw the international possibilities and what they could do in Japan, they saw the business possibilities, and and it's it's everything.
Speaker 19: It's the tours, it's the tourists who come in to take them, it's the merch it's the sponsorships, it's the whole kitten kaboodle. And the Dodgers just last year became the first Major League Baseball franchise to have more than one billion dollars in revenue in one year, and they're going to do it again this year and.
Speaker 1: Probably every year after that. He's there.