Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Cool People. Did Cool Stuff your podcast that comes out every week, the only podcast that comes out every week. Most of them don't. None of the other ones do. I'm your host, Margaret Kilroy, and with me today as my guest, is Daniel Goodman. Hello him, Margaret, How are you doing? I'm good. People who listen to Cool Zone Media probably know who you are. You're an audio engineer, but you're not our audio engineer. You're not this one. No, I'm not Ian, No, that is true. No, Yeah, but I'm I'm a. I'm a I'm thrilled to be part of the engineering team for this wonderful slice of the network. Yeah, I'm I don't know. Uh, I don't have anything clever to say about it. I'm just glad that you're the guest. I'm really excited about that. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 2: I love your show and and I if I may, if I may? What's the word when you like? It's not splurred, when you like go off about somebody and how much you appreciate their work. You're one of my favorite voice actors that I've been able to work with on many of the different things that I've worked on. On the show, like you've done vocal work for Jamie, You've done vocal work for Garrison, and all of your voice acting is incredible. I think you are very, very talented on Mike, and your delivery is flawless every time. So I'm happy to be here to support your show as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Where do I vendo? You the twenty bucks for saying? Okay? So we're closing out Pride month. It's June twenty twenty three as we record this, possibly even as you listen, possibly not. I don't know. You can listen whenever you want. That's the fun thing about podcasts.
Speaker 3: Hey, Margaret, you forgot the second half of your preamble that you do every episode.
Speaker 1: Hi Sophie, Hi, producer is Sophie. That's not the part I was talking about. I was talking about the part where we make everyone say hi to Ian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think that's really beautiful.
Speaker 1: Did you know that?
Speaker 3: Did you you know that Dan and Ian go way back? Well?
Speaker 2: Their dj is together. We were DJs together. He was also my I volunteered to be a like a high school buddy for all entering ninth graders in high school. I was paired up with Ian in ninth grade when we were when we were young young lads, and we've been friends ever since.
Speaker 1: Oh that's amazing. Yeah, yeah, I didn't know that you all want that far back. That's cool. We go back quite quite a ways. I love that dude.
Speaker 3: So, Daniel, can you say hi to Ian real quick?
Speaker 1: Everyone's say I Ian, my dude, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I hope, I hope my audio levels are good. I will do some nice light processing for you so it's not that much work to edit this episode, and I will I will try to stay far away from the mic when I do my annoying mouth sounds and whatnot for you, so you don't have to mute too much. I love you. It's nice that you have that bag of Utts chips.
Speaker 2: Which exactly yeah and straight, just real asmr up in here, Sophie, how you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm good? Who wrote our theme song? Magfi?
Speaker 1: It was n woman, unwoman wrote our theme song? Okay, So what happened is I used to write out the opening stuff you need every single time? Yeah, and then I was like, I don't need to write that out anymore. I say it several times a week.
Speaker 3: You don't do you need it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Apparently, when I'm already writing nine thousand words, I shouldn't skimp on another fifty. So Pride Week as we record this, and I thought, let's do some more gay history. We've done a bit of gay history on the show. I usually don't actually time things to Pride month because I'm not a very oh whatever, I'm trans. Every week is whatever anyway, if listeners go way back in twenty twenty two, we did Queer Resistance to the Nazis. Earlier this year, we did a four partter on stone Wall, and we've also done a couple on like transcestors throughout history. This one is going to be a three parter, our first notes, not our first three partter, but it's one of our three parters because we have a half week next week. If you if you look on Monday and you're like, where did they go? It's because the company that we do this for celebrates the fourth of July. Right, oh right, that's.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, But the actual reason we're doing is so that Ian, our beautiful editor, can enjoy his time off.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It has nothing to do with like fuck fourth of July. Yeah, but you know, it's just it's just for our sweet boy Ian.
Speaker 1: One day, I'm going to do the podcast Lateral Moves of History, and it's going to be about the American Revolution and also the English Civil War. This is the lateral Moves of History. But this one's not a lateral move. This one is what came after stonewall, the Gay Liberation Front. You ever you ever heard of the Gay Liberation Front?
Speaker 2: Only only in passing? I would say my research is embarrassingly lacking. No, I mean mine was before I sat down. It's fun because I get to come on Mike and be like I know everything because I pick a topic and then I spend like maybe fifty hours reading about it.
Speaker 1: Perfect. So we're going to talk about the Gay Liberation Front and we're going to talk about some of the groups.
Speaker 3: Are you going to call it the GLF or the Gay Liberation Front? Because I know how you feel about the when you shorten.
Speaker 1: Things, TLA is m Well, I've been waiting for some time in history for someone to start either the Total Liberation Army or the Transliberation Army so that there can be the TLA, the three letter acronym. But so if someone feels like doing that, you have my blessing to start the DLA. That's funny. That's why don't hold me legally on the hook for whatever. I don't know whether I'm gonna call them the GLF for the Gay Liberation Front throughout'll find out. I probably end up probably because I was like typing it, I probably mostly wrote GLF. But it's not that much shorter to say than Gay Liberation Front.
Speaker 3: No, your choice, your choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll just we'll see how it goes. Some of the groups they worked alongside of as well, and we're going to talk about their struggle to not just kiss who they wanted to kiss, but to liberate themselves and the world from the chains of oppression and kissing the people that they want to kiss along the way. So we mentioned the Gay Libration Front ever so briefly at the end of our four part are on Stonewall. Stonewall, of course, being the riots outside of a gay bar called Stonewall in New York City in nineteen sixty nine that sparked the modern pride movement. I actually always thought that that was one of those things that was sort of exaggerated because people like being like, oh, this was the turning point, and usually it's like well, there's a lot of stuff, and there was a lot of stuff, but Stonewall really was the turning point. Oh yeah, it really was the spark, and that sparked the modern pride movement. But we didn't get into the g more deeply, and they did an awful lot in only a few short years before Stonewall. In the US, the most visible and organized gay groups were what's generally known as the homophile movement, and they were largely assimilationists. That is, they like, they're like, hey, if we act kind of straight except for who we fuck and marry, then we might get accepted, right. The biggest, the two biggest and most memorable of these were the Mattachine Society for gay men and the Daughters of Bolitis for lesbians, who both have fucking cool names. Their names, I know, their names actually sort of outweigh the I'm actually not really trying to slight them super hard, but like they weren't as like exciting and radical, right, they just had really fucking metal names. That's half the battle. I feel like, I know, I know, and that's I think why we're not doing as well anymore. I've talked about this before in the show but we really need to bring back the league as a as a type of formation. Yes, at least in our names. I'm down with the Zone League, the League of Cool Zones, the League of Extraordinary Podcasters. Yes, sir, into it. I'm into it. So there are these assimilationist groups. But even in these assimilationist groups, it's not that everyone agrees with that strategy. It's that that's the only thing going and they're pretty much convinced that if they do anything else, they'll all get murdered because they're all getting murdered anyway, because they live in a terribly homophobic society where people like murdering gay people. So in June nineteen sixty nine, Stonewell happened. It broke the pall of assimilation that had been sitting like a miasma on queer people. I don't know how to pronounce my asthma. Apparently you nailed it. Oh great. There've been uprisings before, and there've been activists before, but it was just the right spark, catching the right tinder at the right time to start a flame, or to use the leftist jargon at the time. And this is a MAO quote that they all liked it takes one spark to start a prairie fire. Huh. I know, it's kind of a nice quote. I'm not a big maw lady. But Stonewell happened, and people were like, all right, now what And so a bunch of folks from the Daughters of Blitess and the Mattachine Society met up and they were like, man, what if we just what if we just stop pandering to straight society? Like what if we, uh, what if we joined the new left like all the black like the Black Panthers and Young Lords and all that shit, right right right? And I don't know, what if we like just fucking overthrow capitalists, imperialism and uh as a way to get our rights as queers, and society views us as a threat. Maybe it should We could be a threat, could be.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things that like, I realize more and more when I when I read all this history, because it's like, in my mind, all the people, like the queer folks around me are like a lot of them live very dangerous lives and are incredibly brave, and a lot of them are fairly dangerous people. Frankly, like people that I wouldn't choose to cross. But I I didn't quite realize how in early twentieth century there was this content everyone thought like, oh, gay men are just like to see little cowards, you know, And so they were like, well we can we can break people's assumption about that. Hell yeah.
Speaker 2: So it seems like a respective strength. It's like, you know, I think, I think, I think the idea of like being a threat comes with this like fear that we're going to attack you. But it's more it's like a we can hold our fucking own yeah, and that's how we should be standing.
Speaker 1: Up to these people. It's like, don't fuck with us. Yeah. Yeah. It's like when you walk down the street, the way that you carries yourself changes the way that people interact with you. Yes. Completely. I used to when I wore a mini skirt, I made this very large knife and I just wore it at the small of my back and like, I'm not going to fight anyone with a knife. That's sucking dumb. Yeah, but like no one forgot me. Yeah, my gosh, Margaret's tough as shit. Yeah yeah, no, yeah, I used to like a tangent. I used to when people would yell things at me from the car, right, And this happens to me a lot. It happens to anyone who doesn't present the way that society expects them to, or anyone who looks kind of like a woman. This happens to a lot. And so people would yell things at me from cars and I would just like scream and chase them. And people were like, why do you do that? And I was like, because they always run away. And they were like, well, what will you do if they don't run away? And they'll be like, then I'll run away. That's funny. Yeah, So it told that to one of my lawyer friends. I don't I don't want tell the further part that gets into the felonies I committed in the process of that, which I never did, never did, so limitations ago. Anyway, they started the Matachine Action Committee. That's what I meant to say, yay, And pretty much immediately they were like, actually, we don't want to be the Machine Action Committee, we don't want to be part of mataching society at all. They also embraced the word gay, which previous groups had avoided, and they formed the Gay Liberation Front. Interesting and yeah, and this is another part. I didn't realize because I was like when I when I talked more about Matachine and Daughter's Bolitis and a Stonewall four part, right, I was like, man, why do they all use to have such sick metal names? And it was actually because they were afraid to use the word gay in their names or lesbian in their names, Like you couldn't have the League of Lesbians or whatever. You couldn't have the like League of Gay Men with Swords, as badass as that is, I know, but now we can have that, and I just want to put that out there and we should have that, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: And just and just to be clear before you're saying, it's it's not that they was another word that they used. It was that like it's because you're still at this time you're hiding your identity. Yeah, right, it's like it's like, you know, we're not putting gay out there at all because we don't even want people to or you know, we can't risk people knowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they all had different words that they used, sure, but they were all a little bit like wink nudge nudge was sure, sure, yeah, And I don't know, so I think we can now have both. I think we can have the word gay a very weird esoteric references the things that I even rode into an episode, and I still don't remember what Mattachine and Belaitis mean. They sound cool, They do sound very cool. So they joined the New Left, and we'll talk about that really quickly. This is, as the name implies, a break from the old Left, and so a lot of the New Left is like Marxist and communists like the old Left in this context, but there was also anarchists and other leftists in the New Left, and more importantly, it was a break from the old model that basically that was like ever since the USSR formed, the left worldwide was a little bit like we all obey the Communist Party and we are all into workers stuff and don't talk about anything else. This is an exaggeration. Actually, some people in the old Left an incredible amount of anti racist work, and even though I disagree with them about a lot of stuff, I'm not trying to whatever. People wanted a new left, and specifically the old left Marxist line was anti gay, not more than the capitalist countries, but it really wasn't good for gay people in the Communist bloc and in communist countries, homosexuality was seen as bourgeois Western decadence that distracts the good worker from being like a good proletarian man or whatever. The fuck. Well, well, I know I see shadows of this every now and then, especially when I travel in other countries, and I'm like, wait, what wait really right, y'all think what that's amazing? Wow? Anyway, so being gay would distract the good communist workers from identifying with only their class interests because they're too focused on like being gay and weak and effeminate and all that shit or whatever. And so like the new Left was like, well what if the left wasn't fucking boring and regressive? What it was like cool and good instead? Right, they wanted to be able to be feminists, they want to be able to be Black power activists. They wanted to be weirdo, druggy hippies, and or gay. A lot of the people actually that we're going to talk about are all four of those things. The holy quad quadrant, quadrilateral. Yeah, I'm not going to like I think it was cool that people did a lot of acid stuff. I do think hard drugs have had a negative impact overall on social movement. So I'm not trying to shame the individual users or whatever, but totally you know, people want to be weird hippie, feminist, gay people like that's great. Amen. Yeah, many of them, maybe most of them, stayed Marxist of some stripe and just decided Marxism was a living ideology that they could work with. This is the new Left. So the GLF forms and their first actions were alongside the Black Panthers outside the Women's House of Detention, which was this women's prison with a very old timing name, which was right across from Stonewall and was full of, among other things, lesbian black panthers who needed support. The GLF forms. Their slogan, or maybe just one of them, was come out, Come together, Unite with the revolutionaries of the world. Nice. I know, it's very rules. Yeah, it's the plan of action in a slogan. It's like, truly, what do you all believe? Well, did you see the slogan? What's your plan? I refer you again to the slogans the sign Yeah, yeah, exactly. And here's a quote from the first issue of their paper called come Out, a newspaper buy and for the gay community. That's the name of the paper. The quote is, we will not be gay bourgeoisie searching for the sterile, sterile American dream of the ivy covered cottage and the good corporation job. But neither will we tolerate the exclusion of homosexuals from any area of American life. And they met at the Church of Holy of the Holy Apostles, which is an Episcopalian church whose congregation has been very inclusive for a very long time. Later, just to shout out these cool people. Later in nineteen seventy seven, they ordained a lesbian priest. In nineteen eighty two they started serving thousands of free meals every weekday. And it's always worth pointing out since a lot of the glf's enemies ah GLF, the answer is going to be Sophie to your question, boom ding ding ding ding ding ding. Since a lot of the glf's enemies are going to be closed minded religious zealots, it's worth pointing out that some of their strongest infrastructural support was an open minded religious community looking to counter those closed minded zalots. Their name Gay Liberation Front is a reference to the Vietnamese National Liberation Front, the communist army that was currently kicking the shit out of the US and Vietnam. Nice. There's a very confrontational thing to do, especially at the time. And so they were mostly white in the GLF, but immediately they were linking up with gay activists within the POC or organizations around and importantly, they weren't overwhelmingly white. They were just mostly white. And it's easy to leave out all the people of color who were involved in it just by mislabeling that movement. I've heard that they were mostly Catholic and Jewish, with some Protestant membership and at least one Quaker, but realistically they were mostly secular Catholic and or Jewish, and mostly they were really new Agy. There's this whole dissertation that I didn't have time to read that I'm sad about, or I'm sad that I didn't get time to read. That just gets into how much they're all into like magic and non rational approaches to activism, which yeah, very fucking cool. Yeah, And when you read the like sterile histories of them, it leaves out, hey, they spend all their time hanging out with black panthers, and it also leaves out like, hey, several of them were practicing witches and like into like really weird shit, you know. Hell yeah, I listened to interviews with six different members in like Contempt Modern Interviews, Current interviews, and all six of them happened to be Jewish. A lot of them were veteran organizers from civil rights and anti war movements, and they had a sort of fast forward radicalization, right because they come out of the Mattachine Society, they come out of this non radical space they form as the GLF with that super radical name. But there was contention about their role within the larger movement. At one point, really early on, someone was like, hey, I have a thing where you tell everyone emotion emotion, let's donate five hundred dollars to the Panthers as a sign of solidarity. And some other people were like, no, the Panthers use homophobic language, so let's not the motion to offer solidarity past and a few of the GLF members resigned in protests because they didn't approve of it. You know, like people will probably argue about whether or not that's like, oh, because they didn't want to ally with a black movement, or oh they were sticking to their guns about for sure. You know, the gesture of solidarity paid off very shortly thereafter, not specifically because of this like money that came in, but because they were part of this movement. The Panthers came out as very explicitly pro gay. Nice, that's awesome. Yeah, yeah, they I've been like, I feel like I've been like building around talking about the Panthers, like they come into like every episode about the sixties, right, no doubt. And the reason I haven't done an episode about them is I'm like, that one's gonna be long, probably probably, But you know what isn't long is how long it takes to press forward fifteen seconds approximately four times. Fuck yes, because now it's time for an ad break, unless you pay for cooler zone Media, in which case you just hear us rambling about this and then you'll be like, why do I have to hear the ads about cooler zone media when I pay for the thing that doesn't come with ads, And we don't have an answer for you. We don't, So here's some aths and we're back. So obviously, the Panthers came out as pro gay for a lot of reasons. One of them is that a lot of them were gay, right, Like, that's the gay folks are really everywhere we are in every movement, even although like right wing fucks who are trying to kill us all right now, I bet you they are the same percent gay as everyone else. Yeah. God, the I haven't even I touch on it very briefly every now and then. But the Kinsey report that it came out, and I want to say in the forties was like something like a third of men in the forties had had experiences to orgasm with other men. Wow. Yeah, that's a high number for the forties. Yeah, but it it just wasn't you just didn't have gay identity, right right. It was just a thing that people do, like being anti gay. It's almost like in the twenties when you like when it was like immoral to drink alcohol, right.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, you know exactly, like, ah, I let myself get jacked off by my friend again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife's going to be so.
Speaker 2: Mad, so mad, you know whatever, See you next Thursday, Yeah, yeah, exactly. Anyway, the GLF structure was really interesting and for the first few months as a traditional organization had voting, the person passes tries to get that motion passed, and it gets passed, and all this stuff. By fall nineteen sixty nine, it used what they called a structureless structure. Decisions were no longer voted upon, but instead things were determined by consensus of individuals and more importantly, by affinity groups, which they called cells, which makes sense sence they're calling themselves the Liberation.
Speaker 1: Front, and it actually prefigures the occupy movement in a lot of ways. A lot of the ways that they are organizing is fairly similar to that. Cells were autonomous, and everyone was encouraged to form an act under the banner, form a cell, and then act under the banner of the GLF. The Marxists in particular were not pleased by this method of organizing, and at least one Marxist cell wrote that this is what caused the group to fall apart. In the end, they might be right. It also might be why the GLF was so wildly impactful for the years it lasted, because it was this explosion of energy and all of these different types of people doing all of these different types of things and coming together to have each other's backs. Most history wants to look at the GLF in a vacuum. And they never mentioned that they were like radical leftists, that their first protests were at a prison. Most only talk about the gay specific stuff. What often gets called their first protest, which is still a cool protest, but was not. It was the prison thing. Their first protest that people talk about was against the Village Voice, which is the local alternative paper in Greenwich Village. Yeah, it's like, and this actually because I think of the Village Voice. You know, I lived in New York in the early aughts, right, and you know, village voices like the lefty paper, right, sure, and I think it even kind of was then, but kind of not the radical lefty paper, you know. Sure. So this protest happened on September twelfth, nineteen sixty nine, and there are two reasons for this picket. They picketed the offices. First, after Stonewall, they ran an article called too Much My Dear, Oh fuck that. Yeah, it was contemptuous of the riots. It accused the queers of harassing cops to fuck off with that. Yeah, people would come into arrest them for wearing women's clothes or whatever. Shit, Yeah, that's fucked up. And that article used all kinds of slurs not just for the gay people, but also well for gay people, but also used all kinds of racial slurs for the people of color who are gay, who are there, and like the kind of slurs that I will not even dream of telling you on air. Yeah, no, of course, not horrible shit. Yeah yeah it was. It was not not good. And the other reason that they picketed is they actually so they banned ads from using the words gay or homosexual because those were obscene. Oh my god, one protest soul. Yeah yeah, very very progressive, very cool, thank you, village voice. Yeah. It's kind of like when like if I get censored for saying a word that, like if I got censored on Twitter for saying tranny or something, which now I mean, now, of course on Twitter you can say that all you want, but God forbid you say sis. Yeah yeah, yeah, well I mean that's just a step too far. We all, we can all agree. I I can't wait for Twitter to just actually announce that straight is a slur. That's oh, you're right, that's happening, that's gonna happen. Yeah, Like no, I'm a I'm I'm normal sexuality. Oh god, like, look, you're straight. It's fine. A shiver ran down my spine. Yeah. One protest sign from the time sums it up nicely from the picket. The sign says Village Voice won't print gay and ads, but calls us dikes and faggots. And it's just like, yeah, why do they get to say actual slurs but you can't say gay? Right? Maybe it's Florida. I don't know, uh exactly got it. So if I had done this are this episode ten years ago, it would have been such a like wow, could you imagine you imagine? Yes, totally it is that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's funny how the the slippery slope logic that so often gets used for like well, if we start letting, if we let the gaze get married, then what's gonna happen next? It's just truly been the other way. It's been the let's just go in the full slippery slope of banning everything, such that saying cis on Twitter is bannable offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like what, Yeah, the slippery slope is real, just not for who you think it's real for totally totally. And it's like, oh, if we let them come for the trance people, they will come for the game. The cis game end next, you know, yea and so and the GLF. They didn't start by picketing, even does. They have this like very fiery name, right, But they're not like running around burning things down. They are trying, in their way, in all these different ways to get shit done. And so they went to the Village Voice and they were like, hey, like, let us run the ads that they want to run is they want to run ads for their dances, right, And the whole point is that they have these dances. Yeah, and they have these dances so that they don't all have to meet up at mafia controlled places, right. And so they go to the Village Voice and they're like, hey, why can't you say all this terrible stuff about us in print? But we can't even run ads and say gay. And the Village Voice is like, get out of here, you slur or whatever you know. And and so they had endless conversations with the Village Voice and finally they were like, this isn't working. We're picketing you. And it was successful. After talking and talking and talking and nothing changed. After a single day of picketing, the Voice agreed that ads could say gay or homosexual and that the GLF could write that people, not just the GLF, that people could write in and refute the anti trends, the anti gay articles. And they were like, oh, we're not going to censor. You know, We'll still let people write that stuff about you, but we'll let you refute it. Great like community notes. Yeah, you guys could do community notes on Twitter. We'll still let all the stuff sit there, but like you can do the community notes. No, that's exactly it. That is exactly it, and it no. And newspapers at the time, it's like, well, I mean, now newspapers are basically dead, but like they were the Twitter for hundreds of years, you know, truly newspapers the Twitter for hundreds of years. Yeah. I think that's a spectacular quote. Thanks. And so a letter from a gay man named Kevin Lisco was published in The Voice and a quote from it, I just like, is we are people with something to fight for. The age of the scared Little Queen's is gone. Hail Aquarius. I don't know what means, but it sounds cool. It is very tight, Hail aquarius. Yeah, I'm with it, and I know that in general, the HIPPI has had this like the dawning of the Age of Aquarius thing, and everything's going to change. I just don't fuck with astrology to totally understand. And the article about this action and come out there. The glf's magazine was co written by a man named Leo Martello, who is described as quote at practicing which who kept a boa constrictor under the bed? Under the bed?
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean hopefully it's like a heat lamp.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, a well cared for boa constrictor under the bed. Yeah, yeah, I can only assume. So imagine getting out of bed at the boarding. You gotta be careful.
Speaker 1: You're like, there's no monster under the bed, and there's this like twelve foot snall.
Speaker 2: Having somebody over and being like, oh, right by the way, before you know, before sex and whatnot, there is the snake under.
Speaker 4: The yeah, oh god, And then like, I hope the bed is well constructed because otherwise the snake has just put on his ear muffs and be like, ugh, there's Leo again, just going at it.
Speaker 1: It's cool. I appreciate your right to have gay sex, but could you not have it two feet above me? Oh? That's so good. That's fucking funny. Poor snake. So they had these gay dances and they were incredibly popular. I found only found numbers for one. One random one had nine hundred people coming to the dance. Yeah that's a dance. Yeah, considering all of the other dance stuff that I have read about is these like small a mafia controlled bars where I can't imagine. Then they're packed to the gills, but I can't imagine. You're talking about more than like two hundred people in one place. And there was a split off group called gay Youth that ran dances for queers under twenty one, and specifically only for queers under twenty one. I guess it wasn't groomers after all. One of the whole points of gay Youth was to allow an avenue for gay youth to develop their sexuality without sleeping with older men, which is like, is some of the way that gay culture has existed in the twentieth century. Not that that isn't true of heterosexual society also, but yeah, yeah, ain't nothing new. Yeah, Gay Youth wound up with at least forty chapters all over the country, and I think in other countries as well, I think Canada, maybe the UK and many of which many of these chapters consider themselves entirely independent from the Gay Liberation Front, they actually outlast their parent organization. And this is something that really stuck with me. So a lot of these groups outlast Gay Liberation Front because structuralist structure, even though it isn't a good way to make something that's going to last for generations, it's a really good tool for incubating affinity between various people who then go off and do their own thing independently. Right, So people come to the golf and then they're like, they find their people, and then they go organize. The Gay Liberation Front ran classes at a local free university called Alternative View. They didn't run this place. That's just a place that existed that they made use of. They ran classes on medical care, they ran classes on how to squat buildings, they ran classes on anti racism, on gay history, on anti sexism, on Marxism, and other politics. And you'll be shocked to know that the Bay Area chapter started really quickly. Also, oh well there you go. Yeah, I feel like a lot of the history stuff is like these like competitions between the East Coast and the West Coast to be who can write, who can do the like rad thing faster? Sure, sure, sure, you know, since I'm from the coast, I always have this like a little bit like yeah, it's a little bit grittier and we don't have a culture of it, but we do it anyway, you know, yes, yes, yes, But overall the Bay is like I was like researching this and I actually drove into the Bay the other day and there's been all this Like I used to like kind of not give a shit about like all the like sort of assimilations queer stuff, and I honestly didn't care all that much about Pride as a parade and all this stuff. I was like way too cool for a lot of that. And I don't know, I was like driving into the Bay and up on the hill there's just a giant pink triangle, and I'm like, that's kind of a that like matters right now and it probably always mattered and I was just an asshole, but like it's a good on you, Bay, thanks for having a giant pink triangle. As I drive the hell city of self driving cars that kill.
Speaker 2: People, at least there is there's some positives, coming out of the coming out of the area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally fun. And so on Halloween nineteen sixty nine, so really shortly after the formation of the GLF, sixty folks from the GLF and a few other groups get together to do this thing. One of the other groups is the Committee for Heterosexual Freedom. Sorry Homosexual Freedom, I was gonna say, yeah, the Committee for Homosexual Freedom. They're kind of cool. They're a group. They are a couple months older than the GLF, and they formed to get justice for a gay a fired gay employee from a steamship company and nice. And they formed because like a gay employee was like seen in public or in a photo or something like hogging his lover or whatever, God forbid, and so the gay the boyfriend was like, you can't fuck with my man like that, and started a whole ass activist organization to pick at the steamship company for fucking with his boyfriend. That's fucking sick. Hell yeah, yeah, that's dope. Another one of the groups that's involved in this Halloween action is the Gay Gorilla Feeder Group, and then another even older gay rights group, the Society for Individual Rights, which is such a a classic formation for like a gay group right is to be like I mean, I think it's I think it's entirely fine to be. Like the reason you just kind of can't tell us what to do. These are individual rights, like why yes, there you go, yeah, and I don't don't. It's like, why why does it have to be about sexuality. It's about rights in general? Yeah, yeah, which interesting, you know, is actually a decent formulation also for understanding like the right to like have an abortion or not have an abortion, or all kinds of other rights, you.
Speaker 2: Know, absolutely rights of the human Yeah, yeah, Okay. So they this protest that they all do together is against the local paper, the San Francisco Examiner, and it had been dosing arrested gay men. A lot of papers, at least in LA in the Bay. I bet it was all over the place, but I've only specifically read about papers in the LA and the Bay do that doing this. They just name and shame arrested gay men. Right, cruising is illegal, like going to a park and trying to find other gay men to have sex with is illegal at this time. So when men get arrested for that, the local papers will print their mugshot and be like, ah, do you know Joe's gay, he's one of the gays. Eh, here's his address.
Speaker 1: Terrible. Yeah, it's not very nice and yeah no yeah no it It wrecked so many people's lives. And it was like specifically like a plan to keep people from being able to do this, you know, right from like meeting other adults to have consensual sexual relations with Yeah for real. The gay Also, the Examiner had written a slur filled article with the headline the Dreary Revels of San Francisco Gay clubs, gay gets scare quotes, and they had written it basically to counter the rising gay organizing in the city. So the rising gay organizing in the city was like, well then fuck.
Speaker 2: You, yeah exactly, thank you for recognizing us.
Speaker 1: Fuck you. Yeah. So the is picketed and because everything is better when its name sounds metal as hell. As we've discussed, this protest is called the Friday of the Purple Hand. Wow. Yeah that wow, that goes super hard. I know that. Yeah, what else rips? Daniel? Can you guess what else rips? Oh?
Speaker 2: Geez uh the uh, the the the Reagan coins as they fall from your pocket onto the the the paper floor of the the the I don't know something that something flimsy that people are standing on.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, products, there's some here's some stuff, and we are back.
Speaker 3: Yay.
Speaker 1: We're talking about the Friday of the Purple Hand, which rips. Sixty folks show up to this protest and it's a peaceful picket. But it's like there's one of these things where it's like often people be like it was a peaceful protest. People brought eggs to throw at the building, which is like, fine, that's not even property destruction. Yeah, yeah, that's still extremely peaceful. Yeah. The chance that they had was say it loud, we're gay and we're proud. Nice and I know. So two newspaper men climbed up on the roof and dropped bags of purple ink onto them from the roof of the building. Oh yeah, so the gay folks gave up and went home dejected. Just kidding.
Speaker 2: They they were like, great, we look awesome, now, yeah exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: They dipped their hands in the ink. It was like kind of like all over them, splashed a little bit. It wasn't like fifty gallon barrels. It wasn't like ash, it wasn't like a Nickelodeon sliming. But it is also funny because it's like clearly them initiating the actual property destruction, the actual graffica.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, yes, so they like they dipped the bricks out, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: It's like dropping bricks but missing, and they're like, the bricks now no. Yeah, So they dipped their hands in the ink and then left their handprints all over the walls of the building and also nearby buildings. One version of the stories that they like then went through downtown left purple hand prints everywhere. Another version says it was mostly in this area I don't know. And then they use the purple ink to scrawl gay power and other slogans on the wall of the building. Oh yeah. So the police show up, and of course they're like, oh no, people dropping things from rooftops. That's the real danger. I'm just kidding. They went after the queers and beat the shit out of people. A dozen people were arrested. One protester lost their front teeth. Oh yeah, there is like not just a yeah, it was bad. Another suffered terrible yeah. Another suffered a broken rib. The gays fought back. At least one cop caught a picket sign over his head. Another the only person who's fell any charges later stick bit a cop. Hell yeah, contributing to the metalness of the causes. Yeah, exactly. God if that had happened in the eighties, could you imagine extremely extremely metal. Yeah. I think cops getting bit is going to wind up on cool people bingo at this point, because I think it was like two weeks ago or yeah, it was like two weeks ago that a grandma in England. Not go, it was nineteen thirty six, but two weeks ago and cool people time, I had it. We had an episode a weeks ago grandma been a police Officeah, now down to the bone a grandmother. Oh, because the cop was protecting fascists in nineteen thirty six in England. Oh well fuck that guy. Ok, Yeah, well there you go. Uh anyway, so the rest of the crowd they go, they immediately move from the building the examiner to city Hall to protest the arrests, and three more of them get arrested at city Hall protesting, and I think what happens there is that they like don't leave. They're like, oh, the building's closed, you got to leave, And then they like just arrest them. This was in the end a massive win for gay liberation. This protest, it mobilized people, a lot of people, and it in particular, it actually mobilized the the gay assimilationist old guard who had kind of been like, oh, we don't know about this liberation stuff, right. They just wanted everything to be like peaceful and get along. And then they were like, oh, that's not going to work, is it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So the Daughters of Belitis helped the felony arrestees find lawyers and spoke out in support of those facing charges because when the chips were down, they knew what side they were on. It's probably a mixed metaphor ships being down and side anyway, One arrestee wrote, I was scared and felt alone in jail until I learned of the help mobilized outside. And that's something every movement needs to internalize. Amen Slowly, more and more papers stop running anti gay hit pieces. This is not overnight, and this is not because of this one action, but because of action after action, and because of more and more people coming out, which is one of the main things. We'll talk about that in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Mancho for just one second, Yeah, just about the day of the Purple Hands, you know, especially since you know people were literally like painting, quote unquote painting the town with purple hands. Is there any preservation of that in San Francisco, is still to this day like a paper or are their purple hands around the city or anywhere for that matter.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure about in San Francisco. I know that a bunch of different queer groups around the world, including Australia and then one in Eastern Europe somewhere, named themselves like the Purple Hand and things like that. Nice. There was also apparently I couldn't find a source on this. Apparently for a little while, people started sending threatening letters that instead of like the black hand as like the like mark that the pirates are going to kill you, they would send like purple hands to people who are being bigots. That's pretty cool, I know. I want to It's not in the script because I couldn't find an actual source on it. Sure, but I want to believe.
Speaker 2: I'm committing that to my canon memory of yeah, of this movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know. I actually I think it would be interesting someone knows, and it would be cool if San Francisco did when I first there's so many things that are just sort of like throw away lines. If you read like the history of the Gay Libration Front, they'll be like, oh, and then they protest San Francisco Examiner and some people are arrested. And then it's like the more you dive into it, the more the story opens up, and you start realizing how impactful this was to the area. You know, And these days the San Francisco Examiner is actually one of the better sources about this thing that happened. They run articles. In twenty nineteen, they ran an article about that was like we were on the wrong side of this, Like that's good, I mean good, yeah, And you know, they're also like almost everyone who works for this paper wasn't born when this happened, all a bunch of progressive queers, like you know, which is like one of the ways we win. It's kind of assimilationist to me to say, maybe whatever, but like, well, now we're just like everywhere, like we've always been everywhere, but now we're out and everywhere and the greatest achievement of the golf, at least according to some of the founders. I listened to an interview with was that they changed the politics of the new left and of leftism and progressive in general, which then left a massive mark on the mainstream culture of America within two years. In order to be taken seriously as a radical, you had to accept gay rights in a similar way that like when a lot of these organizations start, they would be like really sexist, right, and then immediately people are like, you just can't do that. You have to take women's liberation seriously, and it got through people's thick skulls or and the same thing happened with gay rights and more and more people in the anti war movement, black power in Puerto Rican power movements, all these people came out of the closet. Like the GLF would just go to table anti war conferences and they just have a table that's like basically like full of stuff that's like, hey, you know, you can just like be gay right, and people are like, oh shit, thank god, and then they would all come out height and they also tried to tie in anti war and like women's lib and and gay rights stuff. Altogether they had chance like one, two, three, four, we don't want your macho war and slogans like come out against war and depression, which is very nice, little clever play on words. I would never have if I didn't read this in this context with something that's come out against war impression, I wouldn't realize that they mean like come out of the closet. But you know, and since gays weren't allowed in the military, you get people with T shirts that's things like suck cock to beat the draft. That ribs. Yeah, that is very cool. Yeah. And the other big accomplishment that gets attributed to the USGLF is that their direct action intervention against the American Psychiatric Association led to homosexuality being delisted as a disorder in nineteen seventy three. Nice the GLF, Yeah, no, I yeah. The GLF fell apart as various groups split off to do their own thing, and some of them came to odds at odds with one another. But people keep trying to look at the GOLF as like on its own right, and they're like, oh, it fell apart because of these reasons. But I think you have to look at it. The entire New Left fell apart in the early seventies. This was not the Golf and its structuralist structure or you know, arguments about drag queens and stuff that I'll get into very soon. It's the New Left fell apart, and every single radical group at the time fell apart due to combination of repression and co intel, pro growing apathy, internal divisions, and also people just like kind of like kind of selling out or whatever. And the GLF was not unique and actually, like all these other movements, things came out of them. They were this fertile soil. Eventually, the GLF was supplanted by the far more orderly Gay Activist Alliance the GAA, which used Robert's Rules of Orders to run its meetings and was single issue about gay rights. And the GAA wasn't counter to the GLF. There was a lot of overlap between these groups. The public didn't really understand the difference though, so the GAA every time they'd have an action, people would be like, you GLF bastards, and they'd be like, God damn it. With the GAA, new ones, what do you do? The People's Judea movement of the Monty Python reference for anyone, Ah, yes, I'm like if I just say, I'm like, if I don't get it right, and people are gonna wonder why I'm bringing Jude into it reference the Life of Brian, which is gonna come up in the many Python's coming into this. It is yeah, yeah, cool, okay. But and so the GAA kept fighting their headquarters were destroying a fire in nineteen seventy four, but that didn't take it out. They kept They had to protest against the Village Voice again in nineteen seventy five. There was also a group called the Lavender Menace, which is a lesbian group that started as a combo move from the GLF and the National Organization for Women. Later they changed their name to the Radical Lesbians one word with an L, one L in the middle. Oh, and there's another group that came out of the GLF that I particularly want to talk about, though, the Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries or Star Nice and we're going to talk about them on Wednesday. Yay. Wow, brilliant conclusion to the episode. Thank you, thank you. I'm always I'm working on my cliffhangers, you know, Yeah, I was. Wow.
Speaker 2: I was sitting on the edge of my seat just like, oh, cool, name, what's up with them? And then boom, you don't get to know. Yeah, you can't google it. Between now and then I shan't.
Speaker 1: I simply shall not. Well you don't have to. Yeah, but if people want to know more about you, Daniel, oh me, oh gosh, DJ Danel, you can find me. I did.
Speaker 2: I did the thing so when Ian and I were never mind doesn't matter. I did the thing of deciding to brand myself consistently. It's DJ Underscore Daniel d A n L on everything. So if you're looking for me on Twitter, that's where I am. Instagram that's where I am. If you want to find me on Twitch, twitch, dot tv, slash, DJ Underscore Danel a stream Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, and it's a lot of fun over there. We do a bunch of umb ship and most of my stream is dedicated to giving you the viewer, the ability to fuck with me while I'm streaming. So if that sounds fun to you, then come on by because it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, Hell yeah, Sophie, you got anything.
Speaker 3: First of all, I love you, Daniel, Daniel's the best. I'm so glad you're I'm so glad you're here. Yeah me, Tim, I would like to plug Coolson Media's newest show. It's called Sad oligarch. It is research hosted and created by j Canrahan and it is.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry, Oh, you have plenty of time to do that. And then one of the.
Speaker 3: Episodes it's really good, and uh, it's it's it's uniquely interesting and has really good music on it. So check it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Magpie, Well this week and this week only, unless you're listening to this in the future, in which case you missed the kickstartter Miss, I am kickstarting a tabletop role playing game called pan Number City, which is about various groups of people coming together trying and overthrow the God Gang, or just hang out and eat mushrooms and talk to rats and hang out in the sewers, or however you want to play your tabletop role playing game. It's called The Number City. It's on Kickstarter right now. We've unlocked more stretch goals than we originally came up with. So now if you back it, I know we like. So now if you back it, in addition to getting the book of how to play the game, you're also going to get a whole other book that is a series of adventures, and you can get a whole other book that is a novella written by me, and you're going to get now on top of that, a full color map of the city. Because we just right before recording this hit our I'm going to say our last stretch goal, but we actually have one stretch goal that's like kind of our fake stretch goal, which is that we've managed to get one hundred thousand dollars. We're going to have a hot tub party where we all costplay and eat pizza. You're not invited, but we'll live stream it, but we're going to have it. Yeah, but we'll live stream it and dope and that one's the joke one. But if we do hit that, we will do it and I'll see you all on Wednesday. Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.