Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Aita. I'm Stephen Carroll and I'm joined by Bloomberg Markets reporter Anthony Stevens as he greats to talk to you. Let's start with soft Bank getting hit by both the tax saloff and higher oil prices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that combination of factors is hurting soft Bank. We have a combination of worries about AI debt and how sustainable that is. An AI debt is impacted by this oil price spike because that's an inflationary event that pressures the price of debt anyway across the board, and in particular, AI debt is under kind of consideration because of the barries that not all of it is sustainable. So soft Bank has a bunch of investments in the AI ecosystem and is trading down seven and a half percent. Also in Japan, very similar to this concept, you do have this dispersion within the AI kind of soft hardware segment, and we had Disco miss on earnings and that's down thirteen percent. There is no space to miss on the AI trade at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly, now a lesson being learned by a lot of those companies on markets today. Let's turn to India next, where we're seeing cherry is being impacted by that high oil as the index there falling for a fifth straight day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so India is more of a slow motion market. Generally speaking, volatility is very low in India. Indian volatility is a stiny fraction of markets like Koreana one, but it has started to trend low as oil prices get more boring. So the Indian market's down one percent today, led lower by the Indian banks which are down one percent. And that's the aspect of this country being a very large consumer economy, and as oil prices and LNG prices and gas prices travel higher, there's less money around for people to spend. And that is happening in the context of quite a febrile political environment in India as people wonder what the future of the country in the context of AI and these higher oil prices can look like.
Speaker 1: Indeed, and an interesting reflection on how that's playing out in different markets in Asia as well. Let's get to Taiwan next. Continue to see hadroins from the AI transition away from GPUs to CPUs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so GPUs are the graphics processing units that were very important in the early stages of AI to train these LLM models. Now focus is moving away from that kind of chip to CPUs where you can host your AI locally and teach it to do the stuff that is very relevant to your own corporator usage. So Intel reported some great numbers on the back of that CPU demand, but people are selling the other side of that trade in TSMC. TSMC is a foundry competitor to Intel and is trading down two point three percent. This follows on from weakness in Chinese foundries earlier in the week.
Speaker 1: And Anthony interestinct to keep an eye to on the financial sector in Hong Kong. A couple of upgrades of some banks there helping to move markets.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This is finally touched on the recovery of the Hong Kong domestic economy, which is booming thanks to booming capital markets, decent stock market, and a lot of this fundraising for China's AI expansion that is going alongside a higher rates environment from the US. Remember that Hong Kong is pegged to the US dollar, so the US interest rate regime is Hong Kong's interest rate regime, and that is allowing local banks to make more money and lend more money. So Hong Kong banks have benefit from the US rate environment and the improved economy in China, and that's seeing JP Morgan upgrade Bank of China, Hong Kong and Bank of East Asia, both of which are four and a half percent in the context of pretty weak markets overall.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Apple, our Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Mm hmm