Speaker 1: Consumed as a production of iHeart Podcast and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Maky Headphones Recommended Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: I stick my.
Speaker 3: Plus I think less be a clown there, kicks.
Speaker 4: Mustiche Please pray remember me, Please pray remember me?
Speaker 5: Look my God, please.
Speaker 2: Please themselves. Patta Hi.
Speaker 5: My name is Sarah Simmons. I pick up random phones and decided to go on terrifying adventures no matter what. Look at me if we make it out of here. I promised to go see Man of La Mancha.
Speaker 6: When not if? And that means we need to figure out this tunnel shit.
Speaker 5: We also need to figure out our level of crazy shit. Because who hears a noise deep inside a dang tunnel and says, hey, I'll follow you into the dark. It's like we're CUTI trying to hail an actual death cap.
Speaker 7: Whoever or whatever that was came in or out through here.
Speaker 5: Correct, which is maybe why we shouldn't.
Speaker 7: And it knew we were here.
Speaker 5: Yes, and that also plays into my assessment. But it didn't attack us yet.
Speaker 7: Nah.
Speaker 6: If this was the same thing that's been killing and it had us cornered in a building, why wouldn't it Hell us.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe it wasn't that hungry. We're not its type.
Speaker 7: I don't know where do these tunnels go?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 7: What's behind the church behind? Yeah, we're on a hill. Where does it and what's on the other side?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Actually, well then we're going in. Oh a pham flashlight. Well that's definitely all we'll need.
Speaker 6: Wow, Gordon, I'm sensing you don't think we should go down there?
Speaker 5: Whoa nos Domas would be proud? What gave it away? Was it me saying hey, I don't think we should go down there over and over again?
Speaker 7: Or do you want the nightmares to stop? Yes?
Speaker 5: Of course?
Speaker 7: Do you want to figure this shit out?
Speaker 5: Obviously?
Speaker 7: The answer to the story is this way.
Speaker 6: You can come with me, we can protect each other, or you can turn around, go upstairs to your Quasimodo loft and just look the other way while more shit is bound to happen either way. And I mean this in the nicest way possible. I need you to make up your fucking mind.
Speaker 5: Stat Okay, let's go fuck yeah. But to be clear, you made like seven literary references in thirty seconds.
Speaker 7: And that's kind of my thing.
Speaker 8: Right, Albert Let's see how much you cocked this up.
Speaker 9: Test one, Test one too. Hello, it's not gonna talk back to you, Albert, just making sure fots lady wants everything recorded.
Speaker 7: Boss lady.
Speaker 10: Good to see the pyrodynamic is gender specific?
Speaker 1: Twit?
Speaker 9: Okay, you can just sit here?
Speaker 7: Fine, all right, let's see what else?
Speaker 5: Hello? Huh hello, Albert.
Speaker 9: Close the door so the tape can't hear me what I don't understand?
Speaker 7: What come on, you, bloody Anti.
Speaker 9: Close the door so the tape can't hear me what I don't understand? Just close it, avery, Go I'm supposed to be locked up.
Speaker 3: It's not safe.
Speaker 5: It's not safe, Obert.
Speaker 7: We're in a police station.
Speaker 4: Where am I supposed to go?
Speaker 2: Huh no? No, just.
Speaker 7: What the hell was that?
Speaker 9: Go to the old spot in the woods.
Speaker 5: Okay, what if I don't want to Abrey, I'm wanting you gad out O. Hold on, where's your plubbed in? Jesus, I just realized something. What I don't know Will?
Speaker 7: Why would you need?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Come on, Gordon, I'm serious. We're twenty thousand leagues under a sea of white people who we'll have no idea what to do with my books? Nice or my clothing.
Speaker 6: I'm sure everything will be donated to someone who will appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you're saying I'm gonna die.
Speaker 7: We're fine.
Speaker 5: What if your battery dies.
Speaker 7: I'm a journalist.
Speaker 6: If you don't think I have three backup batteries for situations like this.
Speaker 5: Wait is that light? Oh, sanctuary? I feel like we've been trapped underground for days.
Speaker 6: It was like fifteen minutes, yes, but it felt like how fuck shit?
Speaker 5: You okay?
Speaker 7: Yet a little tweak? Oh?
Speaker 5: What what the hell.
Speaker 7: Is that wick? What's it doing down there?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: I see where we are? So this tunnel comes out to the backside of Andersen Hill, hence the name of the library in these woods. The Bruder for us, as in Yep, the Bruders go way back, like Pilgrim back or whatever. The Danville version of that is minus Plymouth rock, but plus these bricks, which are oh what you see here? And I can't believe they go so far up, but it all makes sense. Sorry I'm rambling. So these these are the lines from what we call a colonial drain, and Danville historically has some of the oldest in the country.
Speaker 7: Drain like sewer.
Speaker 5: Oh sort of back in the day they build these underground like think of brick rooms deep down near reservoirs of water like wells and rivers, and then they'd connect them so they can access fresh water as well as catch rain water and check this romans be damned. They even build systems to take wastewater away. Sorry, are you asleep yet?
Speaker 7: Almost plumbing? Got it?
Speaker 5: I mean that's minimalization at its best.
Speaker 7: Good welcome to being a woman.
Speaker 5: Oh what? I will address that later. But look at this up here.
Speaker 7: Those huge rocks near the tunnel exit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, looks like they sealed off the tunnel, closing it off from the woods.
Speaker 7: Massive.
Speaker 6: You'd have to get a backo in here to move that mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: And there's literally no way anything could fit down here.
Speaker 7: Not to mention, there aren't any machine tracks anywhere.
Speaker 5: And also here's the fucked up part. Yeah, the rocks. Who was broken from inside of the tunnel. Whoever or whatever or whatever moved and broke these folders did so from inside the tunnel.
Speaker 6: That's fucked up, yes, but it doesn't necessarily mean something was trapped inside a mountain and then decided to break through and start killing people.
Speaker 5: Necessarily, all good, fierce suage.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying we found an entrance to those tunnels. Whoever was inside the library.
Speaker 5: Did as well, not helping.
Speaker 6: What's to say there aren't other entrances and exits to the library.
Speaker 7: No, we got to figure out what the deaths have in common?
Speaker 5: Can we just keep walking? Maybe away from the tunnel entrance? Thank you? So what do they have in common? They all live and.
Speaker 6: Beside that, I think they all live in Danville. Sure, but if that was the case, then I'd buy some connection between Aaron and Buster. But a Fonso, as you said, just moved here a few years ago.
Speaker 5: And it's not gender specific, it's not ah specific. Aaron was eighteen, Afonso thirties and Buster was arp ish.
Speaker 7: Wait what's that?
Speaker 5: What's what? Don't touch it?
Speaker 7: It's a backpack? What it's empty?
Speaker 5: That's because this stuff was spilled out over here.
Speaker 8: Ah.
Speaker 5: Fuck another journal. It's soaked and all the incas run. But look at the initials on the cover.
Speaker 7: Abe Avery murder.
Speaker 6: Fuck.
Speaker 7: Okay, wait wait what does that mean?
Speaker 5: It means we're about to find Avery's happy in body just like the others, which means we're probably gonna be.
Speaker 6: Oh no, hold on, it can mean that, sure, but think about it. Maybe that was him in the library. He could have found the entrance already opened, or heard the phone. Maybe found the entrance into the library.
Speaker 5: He knew about the phone erin.
Speaker 6: Yeah, kids, crush, small town, look around, slim pickens.
Speaker 5: Oh so we're all just kind of.
Speaker 7: Slimming, Gordon. Focus, we have a story to get.
Speaker 5: Here, all right, focus and focus, And.
Speaker 6: Yes, there is the possibility that he could have been abducted by something not human whatever awesome.
Speaker 5: So options are one, fuck, that's weird. Two you thought that was weird? And three run.
Speaker 7: Yeah that's about right.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I mean run, what run? Who is that or what? I have no idea, but it was coming from the tunnel area.
Speaker 7: Where are we going?
Speaker 2: No, hold on, I'm coming.
Speaker 7: Them, suck grab my hand hand, Yes you can't.
Speaker 5: My leg is stuck in this fucking rot of tree.
Speaker 2: Just go what.
Speaker 7: No, you're crazy, I'm coming down there, stupid.
Speaker 5: Just get back and find match. She'll at least keep you safe.
Speaker 2: She sure well.
Speaker 5: Jesus, those sumax sneaking up on us.
Speaker 2: I'm just doing my job.
Speaker 7: What the hell are you two doing all the way out here?
Speaker 5: It's a long story.
Speaker 7: You know I almost shot you a cab. Am I right, easy there, Love, I'm on your side. She is sorry, No, none taken.
Speaker 10: I have a feeling that two of you being out here has.
Speaker 7: Something to do with Avery. How did she also looking for him?
Speaker 6: We found what we think is his bag and some supplies back up there by the tunnel tunnel we can explain.
Speaker 5: We can also help on witch Gordon. Who was those stuck inside a tree?
Speaker 10: Didn't I tell you both not to do anything stupid?
Speaker 5: Garden?
Speaker 10: You look very stupid right now?
Speaker 7: Come on, give me your hand.
Speaker 5: I feel like I just had a one night stand with a five hundred year old tree. Oh, I feel gross. I feel gross. Hey, thanks for the blanket, Max. Also, why am I the only one in.
Speaker 6: The backseat because the adults are talking in the front. Relax and elevate that leg.
Speaker 5: I see you two are getting along.
Speaker 6: He's great when he's not talking, which seems to be working right now.
Speaker 7: What did you give him?
Speaker 10: Just some pain meds for the stiffness he's bound to have in a few hours? Did you need any I notice you scraped your ankle up a bit.
Speaker 7: Nah, I mean no, thank you? And about that acab business, earlier. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.
Speaker 10: No offense taken and trust me, any American insult you can think of, let's just say it feels in comparison to what it went through coming up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the worst day I've had here in three years was still not as bad as once I'd moved from Scotland to Scotland Yard.
Speaker 7: Ouch, what happened?
Speaker 10: Career path obsession happened?
Speaker 5: I was so close.
Speaker 10: Scotland Yard loves to publicize every chance they have about how their police force is almost seventy percent women.
Speaker 11: We'll find the stats everywhere and Tuobe recruitment adverts in the Mirror, online adverts, etc. Seventy percent impressive, right, But what they don't tell you is that number includes all staff, so they're including secretaries, volunteers and everything in between.
Speaker 10: Oh and here's where it gets real ripe. The more you climb up the ladder, the more almost impossible it becomes to be a high ranking Scotland Yard employee, constable, the lowest ranking police officer. That seventy percent female number just became thirty.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 10: And let's keep going, sergeant about a quarter or female and inspector, which is where I was supposed to be out of almost thirteen hundred dyes in London, about two hundred and sixty are women, so twenty percent a fire cry from seventy love. What happened, Like I said, obsession with wanting to prove I could climb, I had a case and I went too far. But of course I'll rationalize in my head. I went deep off the books and did some things that I wish I could take back. The press found out which should never have happened.
Speaker 7: But these things seem to happen when.
Speaker 10: You're trying to join an old boys club. Before you know it, I was dismissed.
Speaker 7: I'm doing your jam for.
Speaker 10: Trying to do too many jobs, because that's the way they set it up. Work too little and they shit can you for being lazy.
Speaker 7: Work too hard and.
Speaker 10: They'll knock you down a peg so you don't make them look lazy.
Speaker 2: They lose, lose.
Speaker 8: That's terrible, and I assume for you familiar My dad was a copper and my granddad was a fence so it was pretty binary in the choice, as I had.
Speaker 7: No regrets, How did you end up here?
Speaker 10: Temporary peace of mind thought, I get away in the newer England would do me right. But as I'm sure you know, that bug never really dies, does it, Which is why I get it when, even though I've told you not to try to get whatever the story is, you just keep turning up.
Speaker 7: And for the record, I'm not recording so off the record.
Speaker 10: Technically, I appreciate that, and I appreciate you and Sleepy's efforts here, but you're going to have to.
Speaker 7: Be a bit more careful.
Speaker 6: We keep trying but to be honest, and we have no way of not sounding foolish here.
Speaker 7: But there's something pretty fucked up.
Speaker 6: Going on in Denville, and I don't know if it can be explained by anything.
Speaker 7: Earthly.
Speaker 10: Earthly yeah, like aliens and killing people.
Speaker 6: Maybe not little green men, aliens, ghosts.
Speaker 7: Honestly, we're still trying to figure that out. We did some research. No, what did you hear anything? I just said, what?
Speaker 10: No more research, No more spooky ghost stories or alien abductions. You're young, You've got everything ahead of you. It's not the story. You're looking for something else, and ironically, until you find it the story, it will eat you alive. Besides, I have an officer I may have to rest, and a fugitive to track down, so I don't have the time.
Speaker 6: All right, sleepy up and Adam.
Speaker 2: What I'm fine?
Speaker 5: Just a little oh.
Speaker 6: Okay, easy there, Banister Ald on the side.
Speaker 5: Of the car, the gangly brit who broke the four minute mile like seventy years ago, a Roger Banister joke. Now in this economy.
Speaker 10: All right, as much as I'm impressed with your Yuki sports knowledge, let's get you in wrapped up and out of here.
Speaker 3: Thirty one years, Max. What we don't know if it's aliens or ghosts or whatever the fuck you want to call it, but we do know that people have been disappearing from Danville every thirty one years for the last four hundred years.
Speaker 5: And guess what.
Speaker 7: This year is your thirty one. It's happening again. What did you say it's happening?
Speaker 5: I've heard that before.
Speaker 1: Consumed Episode nine Silence written by Carlos Folia, editing and sound design by Jesse Funk, Starring Rachel Rosenbloom and Arturo Castro, with Ruth Connell, Sam Rod, Genevieve Pedalaki, Benjamin Stockholm, Charlie David Newell, Mike Korich, Anna East Fairweather, Junior, Alabby, Alma Martinez, Tracy Martin, Laura Shine, George Vincent, and Rafael Corkill. Directed by Alexander Williams, Assistant director Trevor Young, Casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production Coordinator Wayna Calderon. Music by Carlos Folion. Consumed The season one score available now on Apple Music, Spotify, or wherever music is streamed. Executive producers Aaron Mankey, Carlos Folia, Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams. Supervising producers Trevor Young and Josh Thain. Producers Noami Griffin, Jesse Funk, and rima Ilkeli. Recorded at This Is Sound Design Studios, Herbank, California, engineered by ross Errono, Eastside Studios, Austin, Texas. Engineered by Austin Sisler and Aras Creative In Sound Ohi, California, engineered by Ken Aros. Consumed was created by Carlos Folia, inspired by the novel by Aaron Maykey. Consumed is the newest chapter in the Bridgewater universe. To learn more and catch up, visit Grimandmild dot com Slash Bridgewater. Learn more about consumed at grimandmil dot com. Slash Consumed and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.