Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast. The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots training camp.
Speaker 2: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 1: Practice is over. But the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered well? I miss yesterday now here to review today's practice. The writers of Patriots dot.
Speaker 2: Com today, that would be Evan Wlizar and Paul Perillo. No, Mike do so a rare absence for Mike in these training camp casts. It's a it's family days family. His boys are here, Tyson Campbell is here, so correct, all of them, Tyson Campbell, Tyson Campbell.
Speaker 3: The Jaguars.
Speaker 2: So. But I will say Mike took in day twelve of training camp before he he relieved himself of his duties. Full pads once again. We sort of talked about that a little bit on the normal PU program, a little bit of a shorter maybe a half hour less, a lot of preppara work, I would say for Thursday night. What really stood out to me, Evan was, you know the first team period, it's Bailey Zappy, So my guess is you're gonna see ZAPPI to start. Then you saw a lot of Trace MC slowly in Malie Cunningham wouldn't be surprised to see a good, good chunk of all three of those Thursday night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was definitely a clear line of Mac and some of the other top receivers that he's been throwing to regularly in these practices were going through drills either on a separate field or just behind the guys that are going to be playing on Thursday night, and there was definitely a feel of Bailey Zappi's gonna start on Thursday night for the Patriots, and you'll see some of the exciting younger receivers. I'm sure you know, Pop Douglas and Kashan Boody will probably be his primary receiver. So you're not it's not like you're gonna see You're not gonna see anybody on Thursday Night that might make the team or have some value on the team. But it's gonna be this the clear cut veteran starter group. It looks like they're all gonna sit out. And actually, after practice, Dietrich Wise basically spilled the beans. Instead of yeah, he said he's not going to play. And if he's not playing, then that the domino effect. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, one guy semi regular guy I would say, is Taekwon Thohnton. I think you could get some of him too.
Speaker 3: I think at least for the first couple of drives. I don't know how long Zapi's going to play, but I would think that as long as Zappi is out there that we will see Taekwon with him. And I think the interesting thing with Taekwon is he's I don't want to be too strong, but I can't really think of another word besides demoted honestly to a secondary group of receivers and not with those frontline guys. But he is popping in those reps that he's getting now. I would like to see him against a Christian Gonzales for example, or some of the leading guys on the defensive side of the ball at the cornerback position. But I have noticed that his speed and his ability to create separation with that speed has given no pun intended the emre speeds and Isaiah Boldens of the world some problems. So it wouldn't surprise me if if Taekwan sees some run on Thursday night. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes some plays on Thursday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, no question he should get an opportunity. He's gonna be playing against some guys that probably are fighting for roster spots and whatnot. Some bookkeeping. Trey Flowers did you know, officially sign with the team. We did not see him out at practice. I know in the media relations department was efforting to try to get him to come out and speak. I hadn't seen him, Evan and I did not stay till the very end of the media availability. It was a rap. Okay, so unless it surprises, Yeah, so we'll see. I mean, obviously he's not going to be involved on Thursday night, but he is in the fold. Still no time Montgomery, still no cold. Strange, you know, Matthew Slater was back in uniform. But one interesting guy I thought from a health related standpoint was Trent Brown did take some scout team reps toward the end of practice with Mac Jones at quarterback running this Mac Jones seemed to have a great time running the scout team too, maybe a little too much fun. Maybe a little too much fun. I agree. It looked like Trent was pretty rusty. He had some problems with I think Sam Roberts on a couple of plays. He was you know, just out there. So I would say that that's a progression from what we've seen since pads came on, you know, So another thing to keep in mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yesterday he was a part of the walkthrough at the very beginning of practice. Today he did the walk through again and then took some i would say three quarter speed live reps at left tackle that you just mentioned. So definitely a ramp up in participation for him. And we also saw Matthew Judon take his first one on one rep today and O line D line one on ones and then also get a little bit of team run as well. So I think both those guys are starting to dial it up a little bit. And this was my not the too my own horn, but this was my prediction a little bit that once we get to Green Bay and we get to the joint practices, as long as Brown is healthy, I think that him and Judhon will participate in Green Bay. I think we'll see them in both joint practice sessions and that might be it, but I think we will see them, yes.
Speaker 2: And one other thing I'll add before we put a rap on this, both Marcus Jones and to Mario Douglas spoke after practice. Interesting to hear them talk about one another. They've gone against each other a lot, and some of the one on ones makes a lot of sense. They're both smaller guys that rely more on speed and quickness. Interesting to hear how each of those guys talked about the other and helping them sort of develop. And Marcus Jones in particular, I thought was complimentary of Douglas's ability to get in and out of breaks, stop and start. Yeah, you know, it doesn't really slow down, which is probably a little bit rare for a rookie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, his route running is fantastic. It really does stand out. The quickness. They're no wasted movement and out of the break, which is really big for all receivers. But I think a lot of these speed guy sometimes, I believe it or not, the hardest part is decelerating and stopping yourself and being able to then change directions, and his ability to do that definitely stands out. I think the one thing with him and not to you know, rain on the parade. You know, I'm a pop Douglas guy. I'm excited about you, induce, but just smack me around every day. Let's just wait until we see it in some live eleven on eleven or preseason work. Because it's great that he's a one on one darling. It's great that he's great in seven on seven, but that's not real football. And one on one. I think this is a little bit of a gripe that I have that I can't just let go for some reason. But one on ones for wide receivers and corners is not real football. No, it's not real football. There's no help in the middle of the field, there's no pass rush. These are just covering guys on an island. And if somebody like the Mario Douglas, who does have insane quickness and good speed, if he's not separating in one on ones and he's not an NFL player like period, but that doesn't make him a superstar just because he's going out there and beating people in one on one. So I'm really interested to see him on Thursday night because I want to see. Okay, we see the traits, we see the skill, and we see the burst, but is that really going to translate once we get between the lines on Thursday night?
Speaker 2: So you guys can continue to listen to Mike and Paul about Tomorrio Douglas. If you want to stay excited, if you want to get rained on the parade. I am excited, but.
Speaker 3: I'm just being honest, like this is such a training camp player for me right now, where it's difficult to tell of whether or not this is just a guy that in training camp practices where contact isn't quite as as full tilt as a real game, is just going to be a star because he's so fast, or if this is truly a player that can go out there and do it on Sundays and we'll have to wait and see on that.
Speaker 2: All right, So that's going to put a rap on not only Day twelve, but our training camp casts because as of now there will be no more open training camp practices. I think that could change in terms of the media. Maybe on Sunday Monday ish and we'll I'm not sure if we'll have training camp casts for those days. But it's been a quick couple of weeks and I think you know, they got a decent amount of work done. You could see the progression I think that you're looking for that we didn't see last year. Offensively, it started in a similar spot, but I think it got better most days, whereas last year it just stayed the same. So I think if you're looking for reasons for optimism offensively, that would be it. You're seeing the progression.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely said the progression. I would think mainly in the red zone. Like remember the first couple of days in the red zone was ugly for the offense.
Speaker 2: Sorry, those hard play action with the little swing to the back is given the defense fits. Yeah, all summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now all of a sudden, they're starting to make some more plays. MIKEASICKI had maybe the catch of training can.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up. Tremendous one handed catch.
Speaker 3: One handed catch tax to test. I think there are three defenders in the air and it wasn't official there to give them the touchdown. Yeah, it was. It was a touchdown. And he's come on a little bit last couple of days as well. So I think that's the biggest part that you know, people ask me what's the biggest difference between the offense this year and the offense last year? And I just think that this year the details look like they're they're being ironed out. It looks like the timing and the rhythm and then also obviously the scheme is doing what it's supposed to be doing at most of the time. Now, I think they've looked good, you know, the skeleton, the seven on seven looks good. Let's see what the offensive line play looks like and how it all comes together from there. But in terms of the timing, the ability to get open from the receivers within the structure of the scheme, quarterbacks receivers night and day compared to last year.
Speaker 2: All right, So that's Sevan Wizar and Paul Parolo that's going to put a rap on Day twelve here in Foxborough.