Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and Eva though in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming out.
Speaker 3: The US Defence Department adds Ali Barber by doing Others to a list of firms that says are connected to the Chinese military, but then pulls the list.
Speaker 4: Plus, we keep beating the earnings drum.
Speaker 5: Ribon, Coinbase, Instacar, Airbnb all out with their results.
Speaker 4: Will break it all down.
Speaker 3: An Anthropic completes a deal to raise thirty billion dollars in funding, doubling the valuation of the company to three hundred and eighty billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Private market said, public markets, we do it all on the show, and we think about the macro data as well. When that CPI print comes in much cooler than ext affected and it gives life to the bond market, but not so much the equity market I'm looking at, then that's that one hundred.
Speaker 4: It's actually down on the week.
Speaker 5: Look, we're just inching into the green on the day, we're off of our lows. But on the week, and it's been turbulent and then some We're going to dig into the pressures that we see on software that's continuing. We're off by one point three percent on the week. On the week, we're off by two point three percent. On Bitcoin, we actually steady on the day.
Speaker 4: Ed there's a lot to.
Speaker 5: Be digesting about some of the market signals we're getting.
Speaker 4: What are you looking at?
Speaker 3: Later in the show, we're going to go deep on Rivian. You and I are going to talk about what's going on with this name. Up twenty percent in the session at one point, up twenty eight percent, and on track for its best day since it's IPO in November twenty twenty one. Honestly, it doesn't even matter what it posted in the quarter gone or what it said its financials would be for this year. The stock is only trading on the idea it's on track for its next generation EVDR two and that will go on sale next quarter. We'll have a lot more on the earning story. This is the big breaking news of the morning. The Pentagon added names Ali, barber I, Do and BYD to a list of Chinese technology companies that it says are aiding the Chinese military, only to then take down or pull that list without any explanation. The moment that the headlines hit from the list going up, you saw the US listed shares of those names drop ten Cent was already on the list that had been published earlier in January. This is difficult to understand. Let's get to Bloomberg Senior Tech editor Mike Shephard. I hope that I explained the chronology of events correctly there give us the fuller details. And my understanding is that Bloomberg News has also heard from the Pentagon, but they didn't have much to say.
Speaker 6: They didn't have much to say at all in the way of an explanation about why this move. This list, This updated list, which now has one hundred and thirty Chinese entities on it, was posted in Age forty five this morning, and then shortly after it withdrawn. They said they had nothing to announce it the the moment now ed. This is something that's become increasingly closely watched by investors and by others who are wondering whether Chinese companies may be suffering some sort of repercussions from elsewhere in the.
Speaker 2: Government as well.
Speaker 6: The twelve sixty h list, as it's known, is seen as a precursor perhaps or bell Weather to further measures that the government has taken against Chinese entities. And it's also closely watched in particular because we see the addition in this latest iteration that has since been withdrawn of Ali Baba and Baidu, and those companies are making inroads and artificial intelligence, and this is a central point of contention and competition between the US and China right now.
Speaker 5: It's the central point of contention when it comes to open Ai. We understand through a document that's been seen that was sent by Open Ai to Capitol Hill all regarding their warriors, what Deep Sink's been doing with their technology.
Speaker 6: Well, that's right, Karen. This comes amid so much scrutiny on China and its advances in artificial intelligence, and open Ai has warned US lawmakers that it believes Deep Seek has been using improper methods to advance its models, especially the R one breakthrough that we saw last year and heard so much about. What they are saying, in essence is that deep Seek has been using frontier models from the US and elsewhere and copying and taking those results and then improperly through a method called distillation, using it to advance its own models and train its models, and open I went further to say that it has been raising these concerns, and we even scooped last year that Microsoft and open Ai, who are partners in the open Ai venture, had looked into the extent of distillation by deep Seek and other Chinese ventures. Open Ai since in this memo to Congress, is saying that it has tried countermeasures against deep Seek, but deep Seek is c to thwart those. It also noted what it called a national security risk, and that is that with Deepseek searches under topics that are sensitive to the Chinese government and then include scannerman Square and Taiwan Independence for example, those are screened out and you do not get the answers that you might through open ai and other platforms.
Speaker 5: Mike Sheppin on all the national security news, we so appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Look, let's talk about open ai and.
Speaker 5: This rival Anthropic because on Topics just finalized a deal to raise thirty billion dollars, doubling the valuation of the company to three hundred and eighty billion from All Blue Measuring Gafari joins us. Now what's interesting is some of the same vcs that back open Ai are backing Anthropic, but talk to us about the Garganshuan valuation hit.
Speaker 7: That's right, So this was even more money than Anthropic, and we were initially expecting. The round went from ten billion in initial talks to a thirty billion total, so we have a big bottom number. And you know, we are seeing what we you know, have have kind of cloquially referred to as double dipping, or we're seeing investors that maybe used to only focus on one big player in the AI race actually start to hedge their bets and also invest in competitors such as Anthropic, Open Ai or Xai open Ai. And that's that's a newer phenomenon in the valley.
Speaker 3: I would say, we also surely now have some confirmation of how Anthropics business has been going.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: You and I've talked a lot about how Anthropics focus initially was on the enterprise. Tell me what the annual revenue run rate numbers are that we now have, and I guess you know the reason we care so much about this round is will this company go public or not?
Speaker 7: That's right, We're seeing run rate go up just very quickly from the last report of nine billion to thirteen. We're also seeing the cloud code run rate in particular go up, and now claud code is their coding agent that's been very suc that's for so, I think that this is showing that Anthropic even though it doesn't have the kind of consumer reach that open ai does, which sort of has the Kleenex phenomenon of chatchipt being the brand everyone knows in the consumer space. But that doesn't mean that anthropics should be counted out in terms of being able to achieve some very high revenue projections and very strong growth, which of course investors like to see.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg sharing Gafari brilliant reporting. Thank you very much. We have other funding news. Shield Ai, which makes AI powered software to help run autonomous vehicles and other hardware like drones, is in talks to raise as much as a billion dollars. Sources say the new round would double its valuation in less than a year. It up to twelve billion dollars, which include the capital raised.
Speaker 5: CARA coming up ed, we'll discuss the wider impact of what's been termed the AI scare trade. The sericond Clear Capitals, Blobotech Logistic Stocks became the latest victims of the so called AI scare trade.
Speaker 4: After a Karaoke turned to AHI company. Yes, I said that right. It's a semi.
Speaker 5: Cab platform and enables customers to scale freight volumes by three hundred percent to four hundred percent. Shares of H Robinson tumbled fifteen percent, adding to a growing mister companies where AI fears a reshaping investor sentiment across sectors. Nomaga Equities, Reporter Com, and Ryanikey has been across the latest and I had to double triple check that this particular company karaoke turned autonomous vehicle business. It's actually just six million dollars in valuation, but it rocked market caps across the entire industry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's teeny tiny.
Speaker 8: And actually the CEO told me yesterday that he had never imagined, sort of in his wildest dreams, that they would have a day like they did yesterday. I mean, their stack was at more than twenty percent. So we've really just seen sort of the fear of software disruption from AI trickle across the broader market into these little sectors that you wouldn't think were initially tied to the AI trade. And some of the fear in software disruption you know, may be founded, but it seems like there are a lot of these knee jerk reactions and investors are sort of turning and saying, you know, what's next? How can I even protect from downside like this? Because you know, just the smallest little headline or thing coming out can send you know, all of these stocks off a cliff.
Speaker 3: Caroline was on this so quickly yesterday. But I think there's some value in giving the Bloomberg Tech audience and understanding a bit what it's like, right, so that headlines are going on the terminal because there's certain stock moves, there's volatility, you have like industrials, transport logistics teams, equities teams, Like what is happening? You know, like all of these stocks are falling. Just summarized that that session, we just showed a great chart, but it was severe, right, and then we still continue to see ongoing pressure and software generally from the broader story.
Speaker 8: Yeah, finding that the trip wire can be really difficult. Actually, I mean we've seen so many things fall on pretty small things or even you know, like in the instance of real estate stocks past week, there wasn't a super immediately clear catalyst that drove selling in that sector. So it is definitely, you know, a team effort. You know, I'm speaking to investors as much as possible to see sar of what they're thinking, how they're reacting to these sort of like sparked sell offs. And yeah, it's been a full collaboration, right because we just don't know what's next. There are so many different parts of the market that could see potential disruption.
Speaker 9: Here and where.
Speaker 8: You know, these fears could spark another decline in shares.
Speaker 5: While you were sort of calling up the CEO of Algorithm that was affecting logistics, we understand we were speaking to the CEO of Altruist, which is the wealth management start up that discombobulated wealth management market more broadly, and he too had this sort of David Goliath moment common But what's so interesting is ED and I speak a lot to the VC back companies that are developing the latest autonomous vehicles and trucking and bringing up these new platforms. How discerning our investors starting to become to a headline risk or actually what is going to upend the industries they put money into, Because is really a seven million dollar algorithm company going to do that.
Speaker 8: You know, I think we've seen actually really a lack of discernment. Right, Everything is a very knee jerk reaction.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: I keep hearing people say over and over something along the lines of, you know, sell first, ask questions later. And I think, actually, what I'm hearing from, you know, fund managers and people on the street is they're looking or trying to impress sort of maybe more discernment on investors, so they're not sort of making these very like snap decisions. We'll have to keep seeing what happens. It's definitely been you know, a while a few days.
Speaker 3: Bloomer's Carmen Rhiniky, You've been brilliant for a number of weeks in a row trying to explain what's going on the AI scare. It sent market caps across stocks in multiple industries humbling. We've just explained that, but all that disruption hasn't hit top lines. That's notable not just for public company shareholders, but for private market investors who are trying to find their next win. Surrocance, managing director of Clear Capital, a generalist VC firm multiple software companies in its portfolio.
Speaker 2: Sarah, that's your job, right, like you.
Speaker 3: Know, in the case study of a software name with a six million dollar valuation that spooked an entire logistics sector yesterday, you want to be finding those names through that lens. What's your interpretation of what we've seen this week across multiple sectors where software is coming for it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I want to find companies that are going to disrupt markets because they have a great product, not because they have great Twitter fingers.
Speaker 4: And so I think part.
Speaker 10: Of what we're seeing right now that makes investors nervous on the startup side private investors is that we want to make sure that these companies, the CEOs who are going viral with these sort of hey guess what, everything's falling apart, that they actually have an interesting solution, because otherwise they're just sort of a megaphone, not necessarily a unicorn.
Speaker 2: I said software coming for it.
Speaker 3: I meant AI coming for it, even coming for existing software platforms. Is there real risk to establish industries here imminently.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think that there's risk long term, but the reality is that a lot of that risk is going to be sort of taken up by companies in those industries. So it's not like logistics is ignoring what's happening right When you look at some of the bigger logistics players, you have companies like the Nordics who have been consistently sort of ahead on software, investing on their pension arm So they're obviously, I'm sure, having those kinds of conversations, and so I think it's a little bit flipant to think that you're going to end in a situation where logistics didn't see this coming. Of course they know, and there are often placing bets into startups or building and buying technology in house that can help them sort of be a part of that change, kind of the same way in oil and gas we've seen them often also get some upside as it transitions to a cleaner energy.
Speaker 5: It makes a great point, and I'll chat that you know, you would have thought Flexport would be the company that would be uphending the future of transportation and logistics AI. From your perspective, how are you at this moment seeing the valuations in startups reflecting this FOMO or this fear fact that you see in the public markets.
Speaker 10: There's a huge barbell right now in valuations for startups, and what you tend to see is there a handful of companies mostly in AI, like Anthropics, Giant Round, like some of what Elon's doing with his various country companies like Open Ai, where those private names are going up and up and up, and we all have no idea how they're going to make that money back in an IPO or ever be profitable. And then on the other hand, you have startups that aren't promising the world, and we're seeing a lot less velocity in those startup fundraising rounds, not because there's anything wrong with those companies, but just because people are worried about, Hey, if all of the capital intensity is going over there, do I really want to be in these sort of solid, interesting, slower growing companies that might actually end up being profitable but don't feel like they're going to be multi trillion dollar IPOs.
Speaker 5: Although any solid SaaS companies.
Speaker 10: Out there right now, I think there are a lot of solid SaaS companies. I mean, even in the public markets, you look at names like Salesforce and you have to kind of ask, why do people, even though the valuation is a bit high, why do people think that this is going to go away overnight? When when they look inside of their own companies, they're not in a rush to cancel all their contracts and just yolo everything into chat GPT. But for some reason, there's the thought that that is going to happen overnight in the larger market and all of these companies are going to be valueless.
Speaker 5: Sarahkunst looking at a portfolio right now. We appreciate it, Managing director of Cleo Capital. Coming up, we're going to speak with a software company, Twilio CEO Cozmership Chandlers joining us.
Speaker 4: The latest earnings they were good. As a Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 5: Shares a Twilio holding on too, Gaines were up two point four percent, the company posting solid fourth quarter earnings results and guidance, driven in many ways by gains and voice and messaging. Company also issued its revenue forecast of about fourteen percent that top DNAs estimates. Twilio CEO cozemer Hip Chandler is with US and Kazima. What's driving the adoption You talk about becoming sort of a foundational infrastructure layer.
Speaker 4: What does that look like?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I think for us, what it means is is that companies increased They've always been using us for communications and for data, but increasingly they're pointing their workloads towards us. And I'm talking about AI companies as well as enterprises as infrastructure that allows them to connect the llms, the data warehouses, the agents that they're now starting to build with, and Telco's put all of those different capabilities together under one platform.
Speaker 13: And that's I think what uniquely positions.
Speaker 5: Twilio uniquely positions you against this so called SaaS apocalypse how much because they imagine you get questions on an ongoing basis from investors saying how resilient is the way in which you charge customers.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we don't get as many questions about that that topic. Actually, I mean, I think the reality is is that, you know, we've always been sort of an infrastructure provider, and so there's some level of insulation in that way.
Speaker 13: Like what we do is like very unique.
Speaker 12: I think the other dynamic that is at play here is that our pricing model has always been usage based and so you know, if you're worried about what the terminal value is associated with seat licenses and stuff like that, like that's not something that we.
Speaker 13: Think about day to day.
Speaker 12: Instead, we think about how do we combine all of these different elements that are coming to the fore to create a great customer experience.
Speaker 13: On the other.
Speaker 3: Side, it's great to have you back on the show, going back to basics with Twilio. I think it really helps the audience understand right, Twilio does customer engagement, and on the show every week Caroline and I get told that the area that is most imminently ripe for improvement is call center essentially that kind of domain. The analysts are looking at the results and the outlook and saying that you might be being a bit conservative and a bit muted. They want to see more evidence that voice AI, as an example, is really taking off. What do you see on the ground, so to speak, Osmer.
Speaker 12: I mean, you know, look, we want to see more too. I mean, I think we feel pretty good about the look. We feel great about the way that twenty twenty six is shaping up so far, and we're pretty positive on it all. I think as it relates to voice AI specifically, since that's kind of where you started, I mean, I think you're seeing tremendous velocity from a number of different companies. You know, we called out a number of them in our most recent earnings. You know, I'll just take an example like Sierra, like they've really captured the imagination right now in this moment. We're lucky to have them utilizing our infrastructure to be able to grow with a customer like that and add different kinds of voice capabilities to the speech to text and text to speech capabilities that they offer. So I think that's really been exciting and interesting for us. And then I think looking forward there's a number of other growth vectors that we're looking at. This idea of having persistence, memory, context, being able to combine all of that also with agent building capabilities. I think that's what creates durable tailwind for our company.
Speaker 3: The usage based model is you just described it. It's a great advantage for you, right, And I think again, just going on the reaction to earnings, some of the concern is that if the outlook for the rest of the year is conservative, how much is that because you don't have visibility that far afield on a usage based model from your customers.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think it's less about that.
Speaker 12: I mean, I just think the dynamics of a usage based business maybe cause us to be a little bit more conservative about the way that we forecast and the way that we kind of call it. I wouldn't take that as signal that there's any dampening of optimism in terms of our business.
Speaker 13: Quite the contrary. I mean, the signals we're.
Speaker 12: Hearing from customers are that they want to go all in with Tulio again, not just communications and data, but to build their entire AI stack around a lot of our infrastructure, including a number of other companies obviously as well who will end up partnering with. But I think this usage based pricing model like ideally positions us because it matches a customer's revenue events with our revenue events, and so our incentives are very very tightly aligned.
Speaker 5: Because I know there's a lot of fear, there's a lot of anxiety you're not just in investors, but in people writ large around AI at the moment, How are you thinking about that around your own labor force and about how you make your business as efficient as possible by adopting the tools with which you're currently building upon.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Look, my personal view is is that I don't think AI is per se coming for the workforce. I mean, I think frankly, it's going to be tremendously additive to the workforce, like you know, I've got a kid in college.
Speaker 13: I've got one that's about to go.
Speaker 12: I actually think what's about to happen here is is that over the next five to seven years you're going to have a whole slew of college graduates who are AI natives, who are going to add so much more interesting and intellectual capacity to the workforce that I actually think workforces could potentially.
Speaker 13: Grow in many ways.
Speaker 12: I think what is you know, probably a certainty is is that those who don't retrain or reskill with different kinds of AI capabilities, they're probably more at risk. And you know, we're working hard to make sure that our workforce is retrained, reskilled. We're adding a number of different capabilities to our own internal tech stack. There's a number of things that we're doing to use AI inside the company. You know, at you pointed to customer service a moment ago, we're certainly using it their inbound sales. We're certainly using it there. And I think there'll be a lot more other things that we do going forward.
Speaker 5: Cosimship Chandler embracing it. We thank you so much, Twilio CEO. There coming up, we'll take a look at Airbnb and Instacart's earnings, so coming thick of fast folks.
Speaker 14: This a bring by Tech, Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: At the top of the show, our top story was US listed shares of Chinese technology companies. The Pentagon briefly listed Ali Barber, Baidu, and byd as being names that it considers as aiding the Chinese military. Then that list was pulled from the internet, essentially. In Vidia also down two percent. I'm not drawing a causal link, but remember that in Ali Barber's case, Embido as well, they are big potential buyers and video GPUs if that is a transaction that's allowed to go through by the US government. Also, taking a look at shares of Amazon Caro, we are teetering on the edge. They are flat as a pancake right now in the session, but had been headed for their ninth straight day of declines following that monster Capex outlook for the year. Ninth straight day of declines would be the worst losing streak since two thousand and six, which I guess if you look at the right hand side of that chart and the slide gives you a sense of anxiety. Right now with capital expenditure also looking at Rivian.
Speaker 2: So Rivian really on a tear.
Speaker 3: Remember it was down thirty percent almost year today it's now up twenty four percent in the session. Doesn't really matter what they posted in the court gone, but they's basically on track for their next product, the R two, And that's all the market cares about.
Speaker 5: I mean, talk about the R two because it's got to be able to inspire purchasing at a time where we've taken away some of the support from the government and we are seeing just EV's on a downhill trajectory.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, Rivian today had two premium consumer products that are on SSUVR and TE pick up, and it didn't have a mass market product. The R two is supposed to be that it's still at a premium price point, and Rivian and its cor J Scarring are basically argued there isn't much out there below seventy thousand US dollars for the everyday family.
Speaker 2: You know, in the SUV form.
Speaker 3: Factor, it's like the Toyota RAB four of evs. And all they're saying is that, you know, things are going as they said they would. And that chart there tells the story that spike that you around December, that's when they announced that their AI plans, right, which we went deep on, and then it faded because there was a lot of anxiety that they'd fall behind on the actual product delivery.
Speaker 5: I mean, they had been kind of cost right per vehicle, more than seven thousand dollars, like in lockstep with the amount that you're now not getting in terms of subsidization.
Speaker 4: But it's interesting the delivery numbers. Are they optimistic?
Speaker 5: Is it positive to be between sixty two and sixty seven thousand.
Speaker 3: It's more than last year, but it's still is low volume, right, and they're still going to lose two billion dollars this year. And there's still one to watch though, because of you know, all the people that back them and the hype around their tech elsewhere and earning strong demand for travel help booth shares of Airbnb bloem most Natalie Lung joins US. Now, Airbnb, what's the story here? You know, what are they doing that's new, that's different and that's giving them a boost.
Speaker 11: Last year they rolled out a reserve now, pay later option in the US, and that's really how boost bookings, letting people book in advance without worrying about their budgets so much, and there expecting to roll this out to more markets globally, so that could continue help help the results. And this year CEO branch has can really put a big focus on launching new businesses. Yesterday he talked about possibly testing airport pickup services and we also know their testing grocery delivery for guests.
Speaker 3: We're up four percent. At one point, we'd been up almost ten percent in the session. I know we're here to talk about tech, Natalie, but does Airbnb tell us anything about the kind of health of the travel industry right now and the consumer around the world to spend money on travel and experiences.
Speaker 11: Yes, so, US travel has been pretty strong, and especially strong in their international markets as well, which are growing at almost like twice as fast than their core markets. They called out Brazil, Japan, and India has also seen a lot of first time bookers for them.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about the strength of groceries in Stacar really impressing investors, Nahani.
Speaker 11: Yes, yesterday they provided first quarter guidance that could be their strongest quarterly growth as as a public company. So that, uh, that was really positive news for investors, you know, instacrat has seen this sort of moderating growth and in the last few years, and this has really seen them accelerating. As you know, they're lowered the minimum basket size needed for free delivery. That's really helped. Their partnership with Uber allowing people to order takeout has also helped with demand.
Speaker 5: What about the underlying technology and how much AI is becoming a flywheel for them or not.
Speaker 11: Yes, they're continuing to push out new technology solutions for grocers such as their white label website building and as also as well as other recommendation engines for grocery and that has powered a third of their revenue and they continue to expect it to grow this year and pushing internationally with Costco in Europe.
Speaker 5: In most Natalie Lung, we thank you so much on their earnings roundup.
Speaker 4: We've got more of them.
Speaker 5: Coinbase, well, it showed how quickly a cooling crypto market can pressure even one of the industry's most diversified exchanges revenue in the fourth quarter tumbling twenty percent to one point eight billion. That says, falling token prices drain trading activity across digital assets. This is the company's stock is already down ay thirty seven percent year to date, but it's got a bounce today. Katie Greifeld, I'm pleased to say, joins us, host of the Crypto Show, and whateveryone is trying to get to grips with is have we found a bottom here? Is?
Speaker 4: Is it bad? And as ugly as it gets?
Speaker 15: That seems to be the explanation for why you're seeing shares bounce and then some Coinbase currently up about sixteen percent at the moment. That is its best day since June, which looks unintuitive when you consider some of the actual numbers that we got last night, which weren't great transaction revenue coming in soft you also trading volumes coming in lower than expectations. But as you mentioned, I mean, shares were thirty seven percent through yesterday's close. We also had Robinhood report a few days earlier their crypto business drove a net revenue miss for that company, So it wasn't necessarily surprising to see these figures. And the idea here is now basically that exactly that we're looking for a bottom, that maybe the worst is already priced into this stock.
Speaker 3: Katie, I'm a little ignorant here. You know, like crypto from a sort of asset perspective is not something that I spend a huge amount of time on. What I was trying to ask out in the week is I get when volumes are down, that's not great, right, that's kind of logical, But.
Speaker 2: There's been so much volatility.
Speaker 3: So I thought that in an environment where there's volatility, a name like this would do really well. Right, because you're on one side of the trade or you're on the other.
Speaker 15: Well, you're not wrong for thinking that. I mean, volatility that's typically good news for exchanges across any asset class. But consider the movements that you've been seeing in the price of bitcoin. It hasn't necessarily been two sided volatility. It's I've really been dropping like a stone over the past several weeks, which isn't a great environment when it's a one sided trade here. But I mean, as Caroline mentioned, this is a fairly diversified business. It's they've been trying to move away from just that reliance on spot trading. They have an interesting revenue sharing agreement with Circle, so they're exposed to stable coins, which is seen as much steadier and another reason why you are seeing the shares pop today is there's some optimism that maybe we are going to see that Market Structure bill that's currently working its way through Congress actually gets some action in the next few months, maybe actually make its way over the finish line. So that's what you're seeing. Maybe also the price of bitcoin itself pop a little bit today.
Speaker 4: Clarity and the Clarity Act. Who thought it?
Speaker 5: Katie Greifeld, thank you so much for joining us today. Meanwhile, let's take quick more aarnings. I want to just take you to Apply Materials because this is the equipment maker of the US for the chip makers. We are up nine percent status at a numbers, managing to prove to the MAIT that even though China is pulling away in terms of orders, we're actually seeing just the drumbeat of more and more investment in data centers. Of course, that means equipment manufacturing that is needed for chips to go into those data centers. Applying materials benefiting off the back of it. We're up eight point nine per cent. CEO sounded pretty bullished.
Speaker 3: Etching and deposition gear absolutely essential. Let's go to space SPACEXA.
Speaker 9: Dragon and Guard feed Crew twelve and lift.
Speaker 7: Off Freedom Flies bound for the International Space Station.
Speaker 10: One point seven million pounds of trust now going bacod night.
Speaker 2: I've got ahead of myself.
Speaker 3: The SpaceX capsule, carrying four crew members from the US, Europe and Russia, launched overnight to the International Space Station, the start of a planned eight months stay in orbit that will include research on meditation in space.
Speaker 2: They'll be joining three other astronauts.
Speaker 3: Aboard the ISS, which has been operating with a skeleton crew since the first ever space medical evacuation.
Speaker 2: You remember in January, Karen.
Speaker 4: Thankscute meditation. We need to do more of it on Earth. Let loan in space. Brilliant, Thank you, Ed.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, coming up, bensn from Primary joins us to talk about the venture firms. The latest megafund is Bree meg Tech, early stage benure firm Primary. It's just closely six hundred and twenty five million dollar fund that brings total assets on a management to one point six five billion, and it's at the time when investors are still really eager to back start ups at the seed level. I speak to Ben's Sun, Primary's co founder general partner Ben. The size and scale of the funds are getting bigger.
Speaker 4: Is that because we're seeing.
Speaker 5: More opportunity to fund more companies or because each individual seed company needs more money.
Speaker 16: I think it's a combination about caroline. And if you look over the last decade the seed more, it has grown from five billion dollars ten years ago, and this is just what was invested at seed in the US and ten years ago in that year to last year being about twenty billion, So we've seen four x the amount of capital in terms of round sizes. On top of that, round sizes have gone up from one billion to four billion as well, So again a climb of about four x.
Speaker 5: Are you seeing returns though? That vindicates such bigger bets of the seed level? Where are you deciding to double down on companies?
Speaker 4: Do you just stay at seed?
Speaker 5: How do you think your own DNA changes in this moment?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 16: I think if you look at historically on the exits and the size of outcomes in both the media and the decile, you've seen that each kind of generation of startups just gets a step function higher and higher. And now with what's cappening in AI, we think the outcomes are going to be much greater, and so the amount of capital going in it matches the quality of the talent, but also the quality of the opportunities. And with transformations like AI, we think in the market thinks those opportunities are going to become and those outcomes are going to become bigger than that we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: Then some of the data you were just referencing. I wrote my column about this in January twenty six. There's no point calling it a seed round anymore. Mango seed, coconut seed, avocado seed. But you know, the scale is not just different. You're basically making a bet sometimes on just two or three people in the AI lab context, for example. Is that more disconcerting in the moment when you do a seed round based on you know, maybe an alumni of a bigger tech company or someone that's going it alone in this environment.
Speaker 16: Yeah, people look at historical data and they say, well, round size has gotten bigger, So it hasn't become irrational. Reason why we have become bigger because it's become more rational. Think about the founding talent. I know alone. You know, I started my career as a founder thirty years ago. You know what we knew about the Internet and how to scale a technology company back then. I mean, it's night and day to where you see the market and the type of talent you have. Now, a lot of the talent are coming from best in class tech companies that have gone from zero a billion dollar type outcomes if not more, and those that talent is coming out and starting new companies. And then on top of that, the scale and the quality of their ideas are just getting in better and better. So I think the capital going in, the valuations are climbing.
Speaker 13: These are just markets being efficient.
Speaker 16: And saying, well, the talent and these potential outcomes look like they have much more upside and therefore kind of demand those type of premiums.
Speaker 2: The seed market is very broad. What are the corners of.
Speaker 3: The technology industry or opportunities where like the technology just doesn't exist yet.
Speaker 16: I mean, the big unlock, as you know, is around kind of AI, and this is at the infrastructure level all the way to the application level, and the opportunities that we're kind of seeing across all different types of sectors is becoming evident that really AI is being unlock. What is a much larger TAM than historically you've seen before. Before we used to talk about tam as like software budgets. AI is replacing or augmenting human labor. And when you think about that type of replacement augmentation, we're talking about the market that's trillions of dollars, not you know, hundreds of billions of dollars. And that's really kind of the opportunity that we see. And it's happening in all different sectors where it be fintech, healthcare, industrials throughout the enterprise, all the way to SMBs and consumers across the board. We think there's going to be huge transformations.
Speaker 3: Especially with Ai Benson, general partner at Primary. Great to have you on Bloomberg Tech. Thank you very much. Carries so many more news headlines to get to there are.
Speaker 5: It's time now for talking tech, and first up. Byte Dance is in talks to sell its Moonton video game business to Saudi Arabia based Savvy Games and.
Speaker 4: One than six billion dollars.
Speaker 5: It's all according to reports and Voiters, which says the parties could finalize a deal as soon as this quarter. Bloomberg's reported that the company has revived sale corks late last year, plus day one Data centers. Well, it's selected banks for a USIPO that could raise five billion dollars according to sources. They say the company, which is backed by Chinese data center operator GDS, targeting a valuation as high as twenty billion dollars, a listing that may take place as soon as this year, and also looking to go public in the United States. Is SoftBank's digital payments provide a paypey. The company could list as early as March, according to public filing. Now, Pape is seeking evaluation more than ten billion those soft Bank founder Massiyoshison is pushing for as much as twenty billion dollars sources.
Speaker 2: And Okay coming up.
Speaker 3: Social media is having a rough start to the year, But is the bad press slowing the industry's growth?
Speaker 2: Were on that next, This is Blomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Social media's impact on teams.
Speaker 5: Well, it's never been more scrutinized than it is right now with lawsuits in the US of addiction allegations, Australia's ban on under sixteen's that could actually spread to Europe. But are these moves actually comping the industry's growth. Bloombot's Kurt Wagner, who covers social media, joins us on this. You wrote a piece, your tech in depth piece that kind of shows that no, it doesn't actually affect the business model.
Speaker 4: Thus far, it feels like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I think there's two elements here.
Speaker 17: The first is the volume of accounts that have been removed and again these bands right now, to be clear, this is only happening in Australia, Caroline right, so there is potential that this could become a real global problem.
Speaker 9: But the number of accounts that are being removed our drops in.
Speaker 17: The bugget for these companies, it's maybe even a rounding air in terms of who they are losing. And then on top of that, I think if you talk to people who study this industry from a business standpoint, a fifteen year old on snap, a fifteen year old on Instagram that is not a super valuable user for these companies in terms of revenue. They don't usually have a lot of disposable income.
Speaker 9: They're not making household purchasing decisions yet.
Speaker 17: And so the point of this story here was mostly to say, right now, this is not a real threat.
Speaker 9: To the business of these companies.
Speaker 17: It could be down the line, but I think that's something that you know, might be years away if it ever comes.
Speaker 3: The extension of that, that last part is that many of these names still rely heavily on advertising as source of revenue. This obviously subscription in some cases, which is a different model that would suggest generally add healthy.
Speaker 2: Right now, what do you.
Speaker 17: Say, Yeah, I mean all of these businesses continue to grow their ads, their ads business quite consider. I think it was meta it was more than twenty percent year over year. I mean, this is a company that's been around more than twenty years at as you know, and they still figure out how to grow that AD's business. And so I think there is a lot of money still pouring into these companies.
Speaker 9: And again it's just where is that money being targeted.
Speaker 17: It doesn't feel that teams, while they're important again to create a vibe around a platform, to create buzz around a platform, they're not necessarily who advertisers are looking to get right now. And so I think that's where again there might be some delay in how these types of bands impact the business.
Speaker 5: Push us forward, though, Kirk, because we are going to see some key executives have to come up against.
Speaker 4: Arguments in court.
Speaker 5: Look, we all remember the pictures of Mark Zuckerberb being confronted by parents holding up signs that moment resonates with a userbase and of potential customer it does.
Speaker 17: We're expected to hear Mark Zuckerberg testified next week in Los Angeles in a big trial that's all about whether these platforms are purposefully addicting teens to you know, Instagram, snap, TikTok et, cetera. And so you know, there is a reputational element to this. And I think, while I say that the business might not be impacted now, if you get a whole generation of teenagers who stop using these products, that is that is not good, right, That is not good for Meta that these people are now going to go spend time elsewhere the most.
Speaker 2: Curt Wagner, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Some of the biggest players behind the AI boom are taking a page from the Crypto Industries twenty twenty four playbook, working to back congressional candidates who favor a lighter regulatory touch on AI. For more Bluebersts corporate lobbying report, Emily Burnbam joins US now. And these are names that are familiar right across the top tier eventure capital and the Frontier Labs explain this playbook they're trying to replicate.
Speaker 18: So the the memory of fair Shake, Crypto's big pack looms large over Democrats and Republicans in Washington. They spent huge sums, hundreds of millions of dollars and we're very successful. And so now the AI companies, including both Andresen and Horwitz, who also gave to fair Shake, are pouring millions of dollars into congressional races across the country. Last time, the crypto industry won by not talking about crypto, instead boosting candidates based on issues that are popular in their district. And that's exactly what the AI industry is going to do this time with their pack. It's called leading the future.
Speaker 5: What can they do to dial into where the electric is at at the moment, because when it comes to AI, there's a lot of anxiety, a lot of labor anxiety. For example, where are they going to post the opportunity to them?
Speaker 18: Yes, so I think first there is recingly a lot of anxiety among constituents about AI, particularly about employment, particularly about data centers being built in their backyards. So I think for the AI industry, they're both they're going to be making the argument that this is good for American dominance over China, that they are the innovators of the future.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that plays.
Speaker 18: But more than anything, I think they're working with strategists in each of these states, and you can see in their advertisements they're focusing on Ice in New York, they're focusing on Trump ally his Maga accolades in Texas. We're going to see that play out over and over and people in those states don't necessarily know that it's the AI industry behind these advertisements. Mailers, texts coming to.
Speaker 5: Their phones, fascinating in Maxeminy vembam must get you back from that story and do go read it meanwhile, That does it for this.
Speaker 4: Edition of Briting by Tech. What an extraordinary week.
Speaker 3: D Yeah, and in the United States at least a holiday weekend for many, recap the sh Show and the week on the podcast. You know where to find it, all those places online and all of the bloomerverse have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: There's the Bloomberg Tech